Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news from the heart of where innovation, money and power collide in Silicon Valley and beyond. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde.
Speaker 2: And Ed Lovelow live from New York on Caroline Hyde.
Speaker 3: And Aunt Jackie Devalos in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up.
Speaker 2: Apple in the geopolitical cross has as.
Speaker 4: China weighs a potential antitrust pope into the app store practices, plus Alphabet shares tumble after posting slower growth in its cloud business and a seventy five billion dollar capital expenditure commitment, and AMD falls on a disappointing outlook for its AI chip growth. That and so many more earnings coming up and Apple off by one point three percent. A key issue here is China and the US and a potential antitrust probe coming from China all regarding its app store. Let's get to it, Bloomberg's Peter Alstrom, because the timing here is of course amid this tip for Tap from US and China in Taris.
Speaker 2: But this started before Trump came to office.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 6: So what we've heard from sources is that Beijing regulators are looking at Apple and specifically the policies around its app store.
Speaker 5: It takes a thirty percent.
Speaker 6: Of cut of app revenue, like it does in other countries too, and also it kind of walks down payment systems because it wants you to make those payments through the Apple Store in particular. So we've heard that SAMR, the regulator there, is taking.
Speaker 5: A close look at Apple.
Speaker 6: They've called in executives from the company and some other executives too to find out more information. Now the balls and Apple's court to respond to some sort of in some sort of way and see whether they're able to address this or whether regulators are going to have to take more action to be fair. Though this is the same kind of action that Apple has faced in other countries too, where there are concerns about the app store, how much money it takes away from developers, and whether that's actually a level playing field for other companies.
Speaker 3: Peter, one of the outstanding questions is is this just a bit more bark than bite and what is the time horizon here? Because a lot of these probes take time to play out. Do you have a sense of how long it'll take before companies actually see a hit from some of these probes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a very good question. This is coming, of course, in the middle of this kind of geopolitical tit for tap between the United States and China. So the US levied the ten percent tariffs on Chinese imports, and China has responded with some more careful targeted things, including an investigation into Google, which has a similar kind of app store issue. Doesn't have that many operations in the country beyond that, so I think.
Speaker 5: Politics are going to play a role here.
Speaker 6: We're going to see how that plays into the negotiations with these companies. Visiing has a very forceful regulatory arm. If they do decide to go ahead and take action against Apple, Google, we know they're investigating in Nvidia too, it could be very putitive for those countries, but at companies, but it may have to do with the dynamics between the two countries in fact, rather than the companies themselves.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Peter Alstrom, we thank you. Alphabet's share is dropping after fourth quarter earnings missed expectations yesterday. Investors were disappointed by a slowdown in sales and Google's cloud unit. For more on this, we're joined by Brent phil from Jeffries. Brent, I, you know when we look at Google, Alphabet's cloud sales lagged by two percent. This was, you know, behind estimates. It's the second hike per scaler to lag on this front in the last week. Microsoft last week posted disappointed cloud numbers. What's driving the decline for Google specifically because the Microsoft story was a little bit different there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean the common thread is Google and Microsoft are indicating, you know, slower growth.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 7: Want to be clear, last quarter was an anomaly for Google, so growth went to thirty five and then went to thirty this last quarter, So I think everyone is concerned about the magnitude that they did say there were some one time items. Growth in Q four is still up from the front half of the year, so it's not like things are falling out of the sky.
Speaker 8: And even for Microsoft, right.
Speaker 7: They had low thirty percent growth, they wanted to see mid thirties and they didn't see that acceleration.
Speaker 2: They took up the table.
Speaker 7: So we're still talking, you know, thirty percent growth across both companies, and we were at the beginning of the AI changed, So I wouldn't I'd be careful to look at just one quarter and say it's a massive trend. The trend has actually been pretty healthy. And then I think the other thing is you kind of have this bug zopper light as we call it with AI. Everyone gets attracted to this light over here and says.
Speaker 1: AI AI AI, and then.
Speaker 7: They forget about the core workloads, right, And so Microsoft highlighted that their aipiece was strong, the non aipiece was a little weaker. So again I think part of this is we're on a journey, or at the beginning of the journey, there are going to be some rocks and pebbles and you know, barking dogs across the path on the way that you got to navigate. And it's not like a straight line up. But ultimately I think it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Now that but Brent, just on the pretty good thing.
Speaker 4: Can I just ask about the seventy five billion dollar capex though, because we are trying to understand whether you should be committing such significant investment at this time. If the return on AI is still questioned.
Speaker 7: One hundred percent, you should be committing the question that everyone's asking in every company when you ask the companies of this question, and Microsoft will say do you want us to get five percent market share fifty We're at one of the big biggest tectonic shifts, the CM medtronic every board in America. Globally, we're talking about China taking down a trillion dollars in market cap last Monday. Do you you want to be involved or not? And there's a price to admission. And so this is very clear that the time to spend is now, and the time to spend is now in four or five six quarters.
Speaker 4: And so to your point, what happened last Monday, the takedown was born by Deep Sea And actually we did hear from soopitch I talking about Deep Seak. Just take a listen.
Speaker 9: Run There's been a lot of observations on deep Seek. First of all, you know, I think tremendous team. I think they've done very very good work. I would say both are two point zero flash models or two point zero flash thinking models. You know, they are some of the most efficient models out there, including comparing to Deep Seeks.
Speaker 4: From your perspective, does Alphabet able to compete when it comes to cheaper models?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, look, the China training thing is nonsense. Okay, dude, Sacks from the White house came nonsense. Nonsense, Okay, so we got to get that off the table. The technology is there, but the training run costant six million is nonsense. So I think, yeah, look they're going to be We have software companies using twenty five lll ms and lasting twenty five into it using ten. These are all going to commoditize and they're all going to have a place, and deepseq will have a place.
Speaker 8: But it's not this.
Speaker 7: You open your garage s dooor with one button and you open your iPhone with another button. There's getting me multiple multiple buttons. Okay, it's not just one.
Speaker 8: And so we think.
Speaker 7: Ultimately the big platforms with the users, with the capital and the data win and Google has a lot of data, they have a lot of great technology. So again this is why Meta is doing so well. Meta is going to perform very well with LAMA. So we are o a believer that look, yeah, better AI efficiency will come, but it's not coming at the pace that the market thinks with deep seak.
Speaker 8: It's just not.
Speaker 7: And look at all the capics numbers between the last Meta and Google. They've raised capis by twenty five billion. If it was that efficient, these are pretty smart companies. They don't want to waste shareholder money. They don't want to waste They have a lot of loyees that work there because they get paid in stock, Like they wouldn't do this if they felt like, oh, yeah, it's so efficient, Like why would you jack up the numbers as much as they have. So again, I think everyone's being misled by one comment from a Chinese comment firm that you can validate the spend and the bring.
Speaker 3: I'm curious if you can kind of speak to maybe you know, shifting back to Google's bread and butter search YouTube and bring in the artificial intelligence picture here, because while we're steeing seeing some of this still kind of come out on the cloud side, what sort of benefit are investors pricing in on the YouTube and search side. What AI boost are you expecting there in the next couple quarters.
Speaker 7: Well, no one's pricing anything today, so obviously stocks off big on this kind of you know, minor miss if you will. But ultimately, we think AI is going to have a huge role. Like you look at Gemini. I've and using it every day and over time, Gemini is going to get smarter and I think there's a role of core Search. I'm looking for a restaurant. I'm looking for hours of the local small business. I need to visit too. I need to get the answer of what's the population of Iceland, And I want to ask Gemini or I want a quick quick response in Gemini. These things are going to effectively I think searching, what's happening with AI and these AI agents are going to are going to effectively melt together, and so it will be a seamless experience. I think Google can do this, So there'll be chance, there'll be times where you've seen it at and sometimes you don't. Is that going to force advertisers to run away?
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 7: Look at YouTube great numbers, Look at core search good numbers. The issue in Google's quarter has nothing to do with the core business, has to do with the smallest business at Cloud and Capex is up massively. Guess what Meta Microsoft, everyone else is doing the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you've got to.
Speaker 8: Do it right now.
Speaker 7: So and look, we've said at this AI journey is going to take time. It's going to be a long journey, and we're at the beginning of it.
Speaker 2: Well said.
Speaker 4: And Alphabet just coming down from some record hires of yesterday as well. Jeffrey's Analystprent phil is so good to catch up with you, Thank you very much. Coming up, we're going to talk more earnings, AMD disappointing with its AI outlook. More of the chip maker's earnings and other in the silicon sector next. But as AMD fall, so tutors snap quick check on those earnings after a mixed outlook, basically sparing a load of downgrades on the street. Wills Fargo, for example, cutting it to an equal weight, saying solid revenue trends, but not enough to outweigh the period of reinvestment.
Speaker 2: This is BlueBag Technology.
Speaker 4: Shares of AMD tumbling today after the chipmaker left investors with a disappointing outlook for its AI data center business, saying they see strong double digit growth for more. Joanne Feoenie, Advisor's capital management partner joins us in investors, they don't just want double digit glows. They want a doubling of AI business, right.
Speaker 10: They want a lot line, that's for sure. And what they overlook is what's going on with the rest of the business. I mean, you know, look at how much share that AMD has taken from Intel. A data center business has nearly doubled twenty twenty four or twenty twenty three. It's PC client business up more than.
Speaker 8: Fifty percent for the whole year. They've done a tremendous.
Speaker 10: Job of really taking advantage of Intel's problems. But I've been doing it by being able to develop superior chips of its own.
Speaker 3: You're right, you know, Joanne, They're not getting a ton of credit for that revenue beat doubling their other unit. I'm curious if you can kind of speak to what they said about that estimate miss on the data center unit and what does it say about AMD's standing in the AI ecosystem broadly.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so, you know, the problem they had with their report was that the their entry into the AI side of data center is something that's a little bit slower to roll out than people were hoping, and expectations were high heading into the quarter. And so this new chip that is expected to you know, really push AMD into this business, you know, more securely, and they've only just started rolling out this whole line of chips. That new chip, the mi I three point fifty, is now expected to ramp until the second half of this year, and so consequently their guidance was softer than expected for the data center. That doesn't take anything away from the core datata center.
Speaker 8: Business, which continues to grow.
Speaker 10: But we are in a seasonally weaker quarter for PCs and for data center, and with a little bit less of a ramp on those new chaps, the gross margin takes a bit of a hit. And so you know, in the semiconductor world, gross margin is everything. And so whenever you see a decline in the gross margin expectations relative to or you know, outlook relative to expectations, typically stocks go down. But you know, more importantly, their second half for this ramp remains intact. It's just become a little bit of a wait.
Speaker 8: And see game.
Speaker 10: And some shorter term investors don't tolerate that well and they get out of the stock and they say, okay, we'll get back in later. You know, for long term investors, you know, it becomes a ride this out moment. You don't know when sentiment is going to change. People could say, okay, it's coming in the second half.
Speaker 8: Well that's July. Oh maybe I should.
Speaker 10: Start buying it, you know, in March, or you know, maybe I had better get ahead of that buying spurt and buy it, you know, later this month now that it's come down. So it's really hard to time this kind of thing. What you have to rely on is that the fundamentals are good.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the short term disruptions, Deep Seek also came up on the earnings call, and I was surprised to hear that the CEO projected a tone of confidence that they could actually benefit from some of these algorithmic breakthroughs. I'm curious if you can explain how does AMD and you know, perhaps even Qualcom's foothold and edge devices like phones make it better position perhaps to handle some of you know, the disruptions coming from a deep Seek or models like it, as opposed to an Invidia that really saw it shares tank in the wake of that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so the deep Seek innovation, the news was surprising because they were able to achieve efficiency potentially more quickly than folksould imagine. But efficiency is always something that comes to this space. Right, Chips get smaller, faster, cheaper over time, but that never led folks to buy fewer chips. Same thing here, Right, the models become cheaper and more efficient over time, but that doesn't mean that folks are going to step away from buying the best ships they can now AMD Qualcom you have more of a focus on the inference side of this, that is the use of the models, and that's where greater efficiency will mean more use, and I think that's what they're focused on. More use is good for them. It's going to mean more chips are going to be needed to roll out those applications, and so hey, if the market shifts from the training chips, where you absolutely have to have the highest quality, most powerful and vid chips over to the inference side where there are different components like memory and speed, that plays into their strengths and on benefits.
Speaker 2: You go amine Qualcom off to the bell today.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 10: You know, ARM is more diversified, I say, in a more diffuse in their exposure.
Speaker 8: I mean, yes, they.
Speaker 10: Certainly play a role in a lot of the chips that go into the AI infrastructure, but they also are more heavily tilted towards smartphones and in a very broad way, Qualcom obviously more smartphone oriented. But fortunately for them, the smartphones they go into tend to go to the higher end consumer and that is an area that continues to be strong. So we actually We do own Qualcom. We've owned it for a long time for clients. We like their growth potential. We also like the income with their pretty solid dividend.
Speaker 3: Lots to see today after the bell, Joey un Feenie of Advisor's Capital Management, Thank you. Electronic Arts cut its full year revenue outlook yesterday. That follows a decline in the company's third quarter sales. For more on what we learned from the video game publisher, were joined by Bloomberg's Jason Schreyer. Jason, This stirred concerns among investors that EA Games can continue to squeeze growth from its Tent Bowl soccer franchise games that counts for a big slice of its overall revenues. What did you learn from the earnings call about how the company plans to turn this around?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so it was an interesting call last night. EA had already reported preliminary results a couple of weeks ago and taking a bath in the sock as a result. I believe they're down about twenty percent.
Speaker 8: They had a.
Speaker 11: Slight gain overnight, partially because they said they were buying back a billion dollars in the stock.
Speaker 8: And yeah, I mean.
Speaker 11: They are looking at the Soccer franchise that is their big money maker. I believe it's something like seventy four seventy five percent of revenue, and their business is now from live service, meaning not just selling a game on a store shelf, but also recurring revenue getting players to buy stuff within the game after it launches, and the soccer game is a big part of that. This recent kind of disappointing quarter as a result of this new soccer game not having the same kind of long term revenues.
Speaker 5: That they hoped for.
Speaker 4: Anice in augustanding for example, calling out lower user acquisition software engagement with FC. They also then turn their attention to Battlefield and basically a slipping calendar date there too a bit.
Speaker 11: Jason, Yeah, it looks like they are planning on releasing the new Battlefield at some point this coming fiscal year, so before April of next year. And yeah, this one has been a little while in the making. It's been a while since Thea's recent Battlefield A most recent battlefield game, Battlefield has never been able to keep up with the biggest rival, Call of Duty from Activision Blizzards, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform this time they for I believe the first time.
Speaker 8: They have four different.
Speaker 11: Studios within the EA organization just working on this single battlefield game, so it is a humongous bet for them.
Speaker 3: Jason, one of the company's challenges right now is getting users to play the updated version of the game, but they're still pretty interested in playing the older version of the game. How does the company typically deal with something like that?
Speaker 11: This is the eternal video game industry problem right now, which is that you have so many people who just don't feel compelled to keep buying new games every single year when they can still have a great time playing their older games, playing Fortnite, or playing a previous iteration of the sports game. In the sports it's been interesting Traditionally a company like EA has been able to get people to keep buying new releases because of roster updates and kind of slight feature enhancements. In the case of the soccer games formerly called FIFA now called EA Sports FC, one of their biggest in restences is kind of like this Ultimate Team mode where basically players have to buy these kind of loop boxes or card packs that give them randomly generated players and stats, and it's this whole big ecosystem that a lot of people have criticized for filling a whole lot like gambling, and EA's hope is that EA has said that the most recent entry is a little bit unbalanced, players didn't like a lot of things about it, and they're hoping that a big update they just released a couple of weeks ago will fix things and kept people back on track.
Speaker 4: Jason, Sure, thanks so much for the update on EA. Now on to more earnings. Uber shares falling on wheat gross booking guidance, bloomag In challenges analyst Man it's seeing is in the house, and look they're blaming weather. You're actually more worried about broader deceleration from ultimately months of music with Yeah.
Speaker 12: Look, I think when you look at their three year target of mid to high teens, what could kind of get them there? It has to be the mobility segment that is the core business. The delivery side isn't that profitable still, then you compare them to DoorDash and on the mobility side, everyone is so worried about Wemo rolling out to ten more cities. Now, granted, the number of rides that Wemo is doing is a fraction of.
Speaker 2: What Aniba has a relationship but only in two cities.
Speaker 5: So that's the catch here.
Speaker 12: It's not, you know, a relationship that spreads across all the cities. And that's what I think investors are worried about. If testa robotaxis were to come this year, and that's a big if, and they get all the regulatory approvals they need, then you could make the case that mobility, you know, growth will slow down. And DoorDash has partnered with Lyft now, so I would say lift should benefit from Doordasher's distribution. So all those factors kind of weigh on the user growth, and then it's very hard to make a case that the right frequency will grow given Wemo is expanding in all these new cities.
Speaker 3: Man Deep in thirty seconds. Uber sid it's self driving business. Car, It's self driving car business years ago. What's it's strategy today? Has the company said anything about how plans to go about that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, they mentioned that they will be looking for the right acquisitions and you know, they don't want to spend too much in terms of making an acquisition, but it's pretty obvious that they will be looking for tokens and you know, adding their own technology to avoid being disintermediated.
Speaker 3: Here wull bring intelligence analysts man deeps in me.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Welcome back to Blue meg Tenology. I'm Caroline Hid in New York.
Speaker 3: And I'm Jackie Devalas in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Quick check on these markets. First, Disney off by a one percent. Interesting is they managed to do particularly well in streaming in terms of profitability. They're still seeing the more honor to effect really bullying up. What's happening in terms of their movie making business. Entertainment was flat. Let's have a little look at what the CFO was talking about in terms of the Disney numbers, which did.
Speaker 2: Beat on a profit basis.
Speaker 4: Jonathan Pharaoh and Lisa ramo It sat down with the CFO, Hugh Johnston earlier this morning.
Speaker 2: Here's what he said about streaming strengths.
Speaker 13: The streaming business is doing extremely well. This is a business we invested pretty heavily in a couple of years ago, and what you're seeing now is the benefit of those investments. Our expectation is will continue to grow, subs, will improve margins. We should make more than a billion dollars in that business this year and next year we're looking at double digit margins in that business. So certainly a ton of positive momentum. Now you get into the question of why. A lot of it is the great content that's coming from the studio side of the house, both on the TV and the movie side of our entertainment business. We wanta to Inside Out to Deadpool, all terrific hits, and on the TV side, the combination of Abbot, Elementary, Showgun and high potential causing viewership to grow. We're seeing higher engagement, We're seeing churn ultimately coming down over the course of this year. So we feel like the streaming business is going to be one of the big drivers for our company going going forward.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 14: You know how much I love Showgun and Les so I can say love Mowana two as well. So the content slen is looking pretty good so far. I did want to talk about the cost issue though, and clearly not an issue from you, so I appreciate the explanation. Conversation we've had over the last few days or so, is if we get tariffs, can companies pass on the costs? I'd like to know from your perspective and for the company the additional tariffs that have gone onto China, how that could impact your business.
Speaker 2: How are you thinking about things?
Speaker 13: Yeah, right, right now, based on what's been proposed. And obviously this is a rapidly evolving environment, so we're going to react as we learn things. The impact would be in material to us. So from that perspective, really, the Walt Disney Company will be fine based on what's on the table right now.
Speaker 3: That was Disney CFO Hugh Johnston, and we stay with Disney earnings. Joining us now is Ross Gerbert, CEO of Gerbert Kawasaki. Ross. One of the things that stood out to me in this report is not just that quarterly profits, but that positive performance might have a few drivers here, And the thing that stood out to me is that price hike from the fall. I want to know how much of that profit came from that price hike or versus you know, organic customer growth.
Speaker 15: What are you saying, Well, we didn't see a huge amount of organic growth in customers and that was part of the strategy in making streaming profitable by charging the right amount for the content. But what they proved is that they could jam a pretty you know, big price hike into the system and not lose subscribers by any meaningful amount. And therefore increased profitability. And when you look at exactly what the CFO said, the enormous amount of money they've invested in streaming to now see it becoming a very profitable business, which double digit margins.
Speaker 8: That was always our hope for Disney.
Speaker 15: Disney's the top holding in my fund GK, and I think the stock is just wildly undervalued when you compare it to Netflix, which is actually the top holding in my fund.
Speaker 8: And Netflix is killing it on all corners.
Speaker 15: But it's really a two horse streaming between you know, Disney and Netflix.
Speaker 4: Barbigo is talking on the conference call with investors such as yourself, talking about how he's so pleased with the subs numbers, the fact that you didn't see more churn, But what about the growth story back to the likes of entertainment. Yes, you want to see streaming being a real pillar for Disney going forward, but we've got broader entertainment. We've got TV and cable being difficult for them not to mention people getting onto the latest boat or into the latest park.
Speaker 15: Well, the big thing about you know, linear TV is dying and that's not going to change. But what it really is about is good content, and that's the Iigre effect is real, and we're seeing the benefits of having Aigre back at the Helm because the content has improved dramatically from the Japek era and that drives results. It drived in in in the theaters with Moana too, and then it drives it onto the streamer because I'm just waiting for Maana two to drop on Disney Plus. And you know, and subscriber numbers will soar because people want to watch these really successful movies that they'll pay in the theaters, but then they'll watch it again on the streamers, probably for the next ten years, you know. So you know Disney's Experiences division, you know, the parks, and they made a lot of investments, and then they had the storm that kind of hurt earnings a little bit. But with the new cruise ships coming out too, this business is is a goal mine. So if you look at Disney's cash flow, it's just a wonderful business at a really decent price. So, you know, we're very bullish on Disney's future.
Speaker 2: What about the future of the CEO.
Speaker 15: Well, you know, Iiger is a young you know, seventy or whatever, and you know, I hope he stays forever. And Disney has a long history of having CEOs. They keep saying they're going to retire and don't retire, but I think ultimately they should drive the industry towards the digital part of their business, or maybe a co CEO situation where you have experience and a digital you know, kind of like what Netflix has done, because the businesses are huge and quite different. But we need somebody who can really drive creativity because that's what drives Disney's earnings.
Speaker 3: Ross let's pivot shift years to another game or another name that you cover Tesla No pun intended there, gerber Kowas hockey holdings peaked in twenty eighteen and they've come down quite a bit. And what do you make of Elon Musk's growing side project with Doge and his role in government? At what point do you think you'll really start to pair back more or if not completely, if his attention continues to be diverted there.
Speaker 8: Well, there's a lot of things so i'd pack with Tesla.
Speaker 15: First of all, his full time job is at the government right now, so we all know he doesn't really work at Tesla, and that's not so bad. Because many of the people at Tesla are actually fine with that because it's he's quite disruptive. That said, the goals for Tesla are quite immense, and you know, they have very little time to achieve them based off the timelines that.
Speaker 8: They've set out.
Speaker 15: Tesla you know, has a lot of issues that they have to deal with, especially from a marketing perspective as well, because like the numbers in Europe. So you know, we've been a seller of Tesla over the years because we had such an overweight position because we made so much money in Tesla from twenty eighteen to let's say today, and so you know, we still owned Tesla because it's the most impactful company for climate change in the world, and that's a theme that we very much believe in.
Speaker 8: They make the best evs and if.
Speaker 15: They just focused on their core business and really stopped all the political noise, I think Tesla would be fine. So you know, it's a really difficult stock to own, and we still own it, and you know it's not a big position, but then it you know, doubled in valued, so we've been taking profits.
Speaker 8: Again.
Speaker 3: Ross to your point about the climate change opportunity, does that still exist? In a Trump administration where perhaps that's not as prioritized as it was previously.
Speaker 8: Well, I can tell.
Speaker 15: You because I just fought the fires myself and the Palisades, that when you're looking at seventy foot flames burning up an entire city in one night, or hurricanes in Florida, or ridiculously cold weather in the North, or whatever you want to look at, climate change is not a political issue, real issue that all of us in the world are facing, whether we like it or not. I've seen her firsthand. Mother Nature does not want us here anymore. So we need solutions real badly, and Tesla is the best solution for climate change between battery storage charging and the ev business. So people are going to buy evs because they're better cars than gas cars.
Speaker 8: They're a better.
Speaker 15: Value for consumers, and it's good for the environment. And this business is growing globally and every car maker is making grad evs now and that was the goal of Tesla originally. So we've been successful, but this trend towards evs is not going away because of politics.
Speaker 4: Thoughts with you with your neighbors for what you've been fighting over the course of the month in La ross I want to go back to what you said about Europe, because, as I mentioned earlier, the numbers out of Germany are pretty astonishing, down sixty percent in terms of sales, France down sixty percent. Is Europe feeling the impact of Elon and the marketing impact more than the US or is this just a lack of a lineup.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, this is one hundred percent politics.
Speaker 15: I mean, when you go into Germany and you start supporting the right wing almost like Nazi Party of Germany, you're going to get a lot of Germans not buying your vehicles. Remember, Europeans are very conscious people and they pay a lot of attention to things that are important, whether it be you know, the quality of their food or water, and also they.
Speaker 8: Care about climate.
Speaker 15: But when push comes to shove, Elon's agenda is a direct affront to the direction of Europe and Europeans are you know, voting with their dollars and they're not going to buy Tesla's because they know they can buy other evs that are just as good. So you know, we're just starting to see this. It's happening in California as well. This is a big problem for Tesla long term and I'm really concerned they're going to be unable to grow sales moving forward with the current I would say anti marketing campaign of YEW.
Speaker 4: You mentioned, of course, the IFD, which is that the far right party in Germany which in many ways Elon Musk has has led to support to us. Bringing it back to therefore, what the company needs to do fundamentally, Look, it doesn't matter the numbers didn't live up to expectations. We've got ultimately following Weimo in terms of robotaxes on the ground. But that's right the market, the market still posts the stock higher. So is it completely disassociated with fundamentals at this point, Well, we.
Speaker 15: Look at it as the fundamentals of the business are worth about two hundred dollars and then the rest of the stock price is hoe premium based off Robotaxi and robotics in AI, which you know are legitimate, you know, opportunities for Tesla.
Speaker 8: So I don't want to poop poo them. But I live in Santa Monica.
Speaker 15: And every day I drive there's Weaimo's everywhere really doing well. They're driving perfectly, they're taking rides from Uber. We sell that and we're going to see this in Uber's numbers, which we now don't own Uber, because I think Weimo is a wonderful opportunity for investors for robotaxi and it's way better than driving than Tesla. So I would say with the decline in Google today, boy, that's an opportunity for investors because that's a reasonably priced stock with thing like Weimo that could be worth a ton of money in the future. So now they're launching in Austin, right in Tesla's backyard, and it's almost like spitting an elon space now as he's pitching a robotaxi that basically doesn't work, and Weimo is really successfully, you know, rolling out robotaxi.
Speaker 8: So this is a real competitor.
Speaker 4: And certainly we're getting outlines from Alphabet overnight of how many rides are being done by Weimo at the moment. Ross Gerba of Gerber Kawasaki. Great to catch up with you, Thank you. Coming up, we're going to be joined by Sarah Glow of Conviction. We're going to be discussing the state of AI investing. That's coming up next. This is BLUEBG Technology Time now for Talking Tech and first up work Day says it's cussing about eight and a half percent of its workforce. In the note to employee, CEO Carl Escherbucht says about one seven hundred and fifty workers will be let go as the company focuses on quote durable growth.
Speaker 2: He goes on to.
Speaker 4: Say that the company intends to hire for areas such as AI and plans to take on more people overseas. Plus, Oklahoma set to become the first Republican state to challenge Corporate America's DEI policies as an investor, Oklahoma Treasurer Todd Russ plans to submit share holder proxy proposals to six companies, including Alphabet and Amazon, in an effort to promote quote political neutrality and challenge corporate donations to organiations organizations that advocate for LGBTQ rights, for example, and Open A CEO Sam Altman called India the most important international market for the startup after it saw a tripling in users last year.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 4: The comments come as Altman makes a stop in New Delhi meeting with Indian government officials and entrepreneurs. It's the latest picture course on Altman's worldwide tour, which also included Japan, South Korea, Germany's next Jackie.
Speaker 3: Let's keep talking about the global AI race on today's VC Spotlight with Sarah guaB, which is the founder of Conviction, a venture firm focused on AI native companies. Sarah, it's been over two years since you've founded Conviction, just a month before Chad GPT really took the world by Storman You've wasted no time in getting to the cap table and some of the most promising AI startups from Estrall to Harvey. But I want to know what's changed in the AI landscape from your perspective as a venture capital investor since you launched, because AI has come a long way.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 16: When we launched, we had this very strong belief that AI would be a a decade plus shift, the most important shift in technology we were likely to see in our lifetimes. And then we made some early bets that application companies and companies that sort of invested vertically up and down the stack would create a lot of value. I think that is even more true now and the myth of the GPT rapper has been brushed away.
Speaker 2: One of the major.
Speaker 16: Developments over the last few weeks that everyone has been paying attention to is of course a more and more competitive foundation model landscape.
Speaker 3: That's right. I mean you were tweeting about deep seek in December before the world freaked out just last month. But we also had another venture capital investor on the show last week who called it a grave national security threat. And I would love to get your thoughts on the strength of that model, what it means for AI startups competing in this space, and do you agree with that statement is it a national security threat?
Speaker 16: Let's take the first part first. So it's an incredibly useful model and considered on many capability tests a state of the art. And I think what was really interesting about it is that deep Seek as a company released a base model, which you can think of as just pre training than a instruction tuned model, which is a set of work that allows the model to be more helpful to respond in a sort of chat interface, and then a reasoning model, which is parallel to for example, opening eyes model. And so right at the frontier, now you have an open option. I'll be at one from a Chinese hedge fund. I think that was quite surprising to the world and quite democratizing two application developers to have this force of open source, from meta, from mistral, from deep seek. Now, whether it serves as a push for the US to get more competitive on this incredibly important industry front of you know, being first in the race to AI a technology, stronger AI technologies or remains to be seen. But I think it's very clear that export controls are not leak proof and no country has a monopoly on AI talent.
Speaker 4: Sarah, Let's go into how it changes the game in terms of the valuation stack because you are in at the large language model layer with a smallcasion towards a mistral, but you're also in the application layer of these large language models. When I think a cognition, for example, how do you think the money's going to flow?
Speaker 2: Ultimately?
Speaker 16: Yeah, one of our core beliefs is that AI makes the pie bigger, and you can think about it as the stack as you describe right, infrastructure tooling model companies, application companies, and those that are verticalized. But we're much more interested in application companies and verticalized companies to date, and part of it is seeing the LM landscape play out. It's been a very expensive game to play, despite Deep Seeks claims around a six million dollars single training run that vastly under prices the cost of experimentation and all of the infrastructure that was used in for example, post training and inference as well, and so it's still a very expensive game to play. I think in terms of economic opportunity of sort of you know, the traditional venture capital game being capital efficient growth, we think that is going to be most concentrated in the application layer.
Speaker 4: And it was at our age Sarah for that, and Sierra you're in rettailor leading that business, and that of course taking on a sales force of example, is a gent ki where the real value.
Speaker 2: Is going to come in the next year or so.
Speaker 16: Yeah, agentic is a really hard thing to define. But I think one thing that we're really excited about with companies like Sierra and others is the more, like very simply, the more that AI does for you, the more people will be willing to pay for it, right, And so something like Sierra improves the customer experience, especially for people with very high value customers. So think of finance, subscription, travel, et cetera. And I think as we see AA models get more capable beyond answering simple questions to completing tasks, which is something that will take a lot of vertical, specific and last mile work. We should expect these companies to be able to capture a lot of that value too.
Speaker 2: Always great to have you on Seragua.
Speaker 17: We love it from Conviction, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Amazon's efforts to cut out middle management bloat is sending ripples throughout the company, with many employees fearing uncertainty and a lack of promotions. For more Bloomberg, Spenser Soaper joins us now Spenser. Amazon veterans are used to periods of bell tightening. What did you glean from employees about how Jase's tactics this time around are different?
Speaker 18: Well, a lot of it is a sign of the times. You know, employees historically within Amazon, when Jeff Bezos was CEO would maybe try to figure out what he was excited about because they figured that was going to get a lot of money and investment and that would be a nice career path for them. And the big difference with Jase's CEO, he's a lot more disciplined. He doesn't chase as many moonshot projects. The money's a little less free flowing, So those career paths paths for advancement are narrower. And then you layer on top of that that Amazon's trying to kind of out with the old in with the new in terms of a reduction in management, you know, replace more senior workers with lower level employees. And it's just kind of rippling through through.
Speaker 4: A morale, particularly the time where other giants and tech a laying off salesforce.
Speaker 2: We see that with work day to day as well. Spencer.
Speaker 4: It's a difficult market, but investors want to see this sort of belt tightening. We look at it the earnings for share expectations for Thursday.
Speaker 18: Yeah, so they've had the past six quarters I believe, of increasing profits and they're expecting the same when they report tomorrow. And that's the thing he's been. He's been pleasing Wall Street, but making the workforce unhappy. And that's a calculated move, right, Like you mentioned with the layoffs, you can work your workforce a little higher, make promotions a little more scant when they have fewer opportunities with other companies elsewhere. And so that's the calculator gamble they have right now is you know, we can lean on folks a little harder just for the sake that they have they have less opportunities.
Speaker 2: To leave us.
Speaker 4: We meg Spencer, SOPA as we build into these earning later in the week.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. Don't forget to check out our podcast you can find on the terminal as well as online on Apple, Spotify, and iHeart. And don't forget about the earnings coming after the bell arm qualcomm The of course shows will be across it throughout the afternoon, but from New York from San Francisco where it's a little rainy. This is Bloomberg Technology.