Speaker 1: Sabrina Will, did you have any friends that weren't really friends that were then enemies that were then for I don't even want to use the word yet, I'm just wondering if you had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course you do. I think remember I had like different lives, right. I had girls that when I was auditioning, especially in the dance world, that we were cool because we would book things together and we work together, and we'd see each other on auditions all the time dancing. But like when it came to the actual audition part in the beginning, the lobby, while we're waiting to get in, right, you're cool, You're hanging out like, oh you want sharing snacks things like that, right, yeah, And then you get into the audition and it's like game on. And you know, especially when you had somebody who looked a lot like you, you know you it was like you loved them and you wanted them to get them. But if it was going to be them or you, it had to be you, black guy exactly. Yeah, there were times where you know, if someone was going to take the job from you, it was that person.
Speaker 1: Was it cut through? I mean, was it ever like oh my god.
Speaker 2: You know it was more so cut through. I feel like with some of the stage mom life on the dance tample is so real. It's so so real. Mom's that. I mean. My dad was always the one that was with me, and he would just say, don't you let that mom psych you out? Don't you Oh you they really care cry oh yeah, oh you know, Sabrina, they're only taking twelve and I heard there's only room for two brunettes, you know, and it's like, wow, okay, okay. You know, my dad would be like, don't you let them psych you out. If there's gonna be two bernttes, you're gonna be number one. So you just go out there and do your thing. You know. My dad had to like help me like kind of maintain the mental state of what it is. But you know, I think in school it's different because there's really not supposed to be any kind of competitive drive. School it was you were friends with everyone. But I think the hardest part was frenemies were more so like friends that you were really close with and then for whatever reason that friendship kind of went away and a new friend came along or whatever it was. But it wasn't like a competitive thing that I think a lot of times happens.
Speaker 1: You can also notice it a lot with girls sometimes, like you would always see the girls that would do the big out hug, like they'd hug each other to the top, but their way.
Speaker 2: Out of the voices get a little higher exactly.
Speaker 1: Where guys just like you or they fight, that's just okay.
Speaker 2: So I was going to ask you, did you have any friends out you have.
Speaker 1: Friends or you have enemies? You don't, there's no there's because very little fakeness with with younger guys where it's like I'm gonna fake this friendship. It's you, I like you or I don't like you. It's yeah, kind of very straightforward. I don't know which one's healthier.
Speaker 2: Frankly, I honestly I don't either. I think what's nice about watching guy friendships too, was like you were right if there was a problem, you know, I don't I didn't don't necessarily love that I had to be a physical altercation. But it was like once it got out of their systems, they were settled. They either went their separate ways or it was settled in some where.
Speaker 3: Girls man that last for years, right, girl, I remember in high school, I would see girls and like after I was like done with college and like had already done the Cheetah girls and all that and stuff, and then you know, pops up and they're still going.
Speaker 1: Now I've ever been in my life everything Landa, Oh, don't get me started. I was just in a good mood, Sabrita. No, the only fist fight I've ever had in my life was with Andy Foss at the library. We fought, he won that night. We were at a party. We were friends before and after. It's just the way boys are very very strange. Wow, oh my, well, everybody, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time and all the houses were marched, the wave tsunamis and I was getting beaten up behind a library. I'm Wilfred Andy and.
Speaker 2: Of Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: This week on Magical Rewind, we love the drama. We're ready to spill all the teenage tea with twenty twelves teen comedy anthology Frenemies. First, Sabrina, were you aware of what an anthology film was and that this was an anthology film before we went in.
Speaker 2: I did not. I did not enlighten me unlike Nah, I didn't know that it was one. I don't even know what you're talking about. Enlighten me, miss so well.
Speaker 1: Anthology movies consists of multiple short stories seen over one movie, often connected by a common theme or framing device. Some famous anthologies include creep Show, Pulp Fiction, Twilight Zone, the movie The Ballad of Buster Scrubs. There's plenty out there. I would also put in even though they're comedic sketches, stuff like Amazon Women on the Moon, so it's like different sketches altogether that might have one through line going through that as an anthology, and.
Speaker 2: I had because that would have saved me lots and lots of minutes of being very freaking confused, I.
Speaker 1: Used by what's going on. So well, let's get into it. Let's see if we can untie some of both of our confusion. Because Frenemies was based on the novel the same name by author Alexi Young, but the term Frenemies actually was coined all the way back in nineteen fifty three by American gossip colonists the famous Walter Winchell, who used it to describe the tense relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union frenemies. The movie debuted on the Disney Channel on January thirteenth, twenty twelve, and were shot in Toronto, Canada. Yes, Worry are back in Canada. People using flip the coin and at Canadian heads using local school our Lady Queen of the World Catholic Academy say that five times fast where their actual students were background actors, and in this case something rare occurred. While in Canada. Usually the production companies do a great job transforming the Great North to look like anywhere they want. I you know, throw your gaze to every movie we've talked about. My date with the President's daughter is in Washington, d C. Girls was where New York City. It can be anywhere and they never you never know. But in some scenes in this movie you can actually see Conservative Party of Canada general election signs in the background. So you can run, but you cannot hide from Canada in the end. It was a very rare mistake, but one that was fun to see. It had a large audience for the premiere, actually clocking in four point two million viewers domestically, with a huge international rollout as well with promos in Ireland, the UK, South Africa, and the Philippines who knew Team Gossip was so universally understood. Also, for all you true Rewinders out there, this was the last dcom to end with the two thousand and seven Disney Channel original logo. Since Radio Rebel was a co production with a Canadian company, this one got that distinction. One other common thread in analogy movies is a very large cast, since we're seeing many stories, each with their own group of actors, and for Disney, this is obviously a perfect way to spotlight a ton of their homegrown talent, especially one that was on a meteor rise throughout Hollywood and I think you know who that is. Also, with a cast this big, it will create a bit of a summer camp feeling when they film out of the country, especially tons of teens just filming a movie together. And reportedly, and this is really cool, the lead actresses all had slumber parties while shooting. Is not cute. And as usual, Frenemies is on Disney Plus for your viewing pleasure, So stream it now or wait after you hear our opinions. If you aren't sure how you want to do it, ask a teacher, ask a local priest. Whoever you trust, they'll help you out, but make sure that you really trust them, Sabrina, had you heard of Frenemies before it became required homework viewing for our lovely podcast?
Speaker 2: The only thing I knew about Frenemies was that had our amazing lead actress in it, or one of them. There's two of them. I didn't know the second one, but the first one I did, and I was excited to watch. I am a huge fan. Actually not a big fan of hers when, like I said two thousand and seven, that time wasn't really a time where I was watching a lot of Disney Channel. But I am a fan of as she's grown into her now adult career and will literally watch her in anything I don't care, I will purchase, I will do it all just to see her because she's a shining star.
Speaker 1: She she really does light up the screen. I'd never heard of it, obviously, Yeah, but let's get to our synopsis for the people out there that haven't heard of it and for the people that have. Frenemies follows three intertwined stories of friends whose relationships are tested and as conflicts arise, each duo must decide whether their friendship is worth saving or if they're better off as enemies, which is something Sabrina and I plan on doing at the end of this episode, to stick around and find out if we stay friends or not. All right, Early thoughts on the movie, Sabrina, what did you think of friend?
Speaker 2: I had a hard time with the stagnant story changes and things like that. I think if I knew that going in, it would have been a little bit more. But for me, I was trying to figure out what the hell's going on, how these characters relate to each other. It was really tough. I mean to the point where I got twelve minutes in I paused it and went, shit, I'm watching the wrong one. It has to be the wrong one.
Speaker 1: Zanda has not come on.
Speaker 2: The scene yet. Where is this? Like I literally I was so confused, and so I stopped it. I like turned my app on and off like everything on my TV to just figure out what why this was not going correctly. I wasted lots of time with it, realized Okay, this is it because she's you know. It was. It was confusing, So I was like kind of irritated at the beginning of it, halfway through that first of the three segments, and then you know, it really wasn't as much each of the segments were. But again I was trying to figure out how this all, this one thing was going to turn out to be one big movie, and then also waiting for the musical production that I knew was going to happen, and that just wasn't coming around for a very long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you? Not a good movie?
Speaker 4: Come on?
Speaker 1: This was? It starts as a kid being mean to his dog, and then then it's the middle story is a story that doesn't matter in any way, shape or form. There's no repercussions for anything that happens. And then the last one, they're all dancing again without actually knowing anything about it, and it comes out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Well none of them are singing though, Like this is a full just like dance.
Speaker 1: This is a weird movie thing.
Speaker 2: I actually like that would like made it a little bit better for me than made for you, because it was Yeah, I just I of course I love musical members, so yes.
Speaker 1: I know at least have some context to a musical note.
Speaker 2: Really really really had a hard time with the dog being mistreated.
Speaker 1: Don't get me start the second anybody's upset with the dog. It's like that that one comic dog.
Speaker 2: Was one of my first three diseases. I'm obsessed with this dog. This dog has to be getting paid millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: This dog is.
Speaker 2: Trained.
Speaker 1: But it reminded me of the comic who said he's like the first time I saw John Wick, he was like, seriously, this guy's killing everybody because they hurt his dog. He goes and then I got a dog, and I'd kill everybody in front of me, if everybody and so it's like, you're mean to this dog. Oh yeah, I was not. I know.
Speaker 2: I had a really hard time with that party. I mean, talk about hating a character so much.
Speaker 3: It was poor girl, super cute, super cute girl hated her.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, anyway, we somehow luckily have avoided Paul Hoan this week. Not luckily because Paul's amazing, but we got no Paul hoe enjoined this week and have a brand new director, a woman by the name of Daisy von Schurler Mayer. Von Schurler Mayer began her career with the movie Party Girl, a nineteen ninety five indie darling about the rave scene that helped establish Parker Posey as a star of the scene. The film won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance, which is a very big deal. So this hiring was really cool for Disney to go with this kind of hip young movie. Definitely more artsy than they tend to go. Daisy also directed the movie Madeline before transitioning into TV, or at Madeline either way. Before transitioning into TV, where she established herself as a real powerhouse, she is still killing it today. She's worked on shows like Madmen, Shameless, Ray Donovan, Yellowjackets, and Inventing Anna. Quite a list, and it's also quite a cast. So let's start listening. We've got Young Zendia as Halle Brandon. Zendeia has become the modern face of Disney Evolution, turning her once child acting career into a massive Hollywood brand. She was best known as Rocky Blue, one of the stars of Disney Shake it Up, with small roles on Good Luck, Charlie and Ant Farm. But this is the true definition of a homegrown Disney superstar in the tradition of Miley cyrus, Selena Gomez and of course Sabrina Carpenter. And like all three of those ladies. Zendeia also did have the Hollywood Records pop Star push during this time as well, releasing a ton of music. But Zendeia went on to be one of Hollywood's biggest names in movies and TV, starring in not only the Spider Man franchise, but The Greatest Showman, Dune Challengers, and the HBO show Euphoria, which she won two Emmys for for Best Actress in a Drama Series and made me super glad I never had children. Oh god, all the stuff they're doing in there. I'm like, I'm glad my stepdaughter's older than this and I never had to deal with kids doing whatever the hell they're doing on that show. No, thank you.
Speaker 2: She is glorious. I am a gienormous Sendaa fan.
Speaker 1: She's great.
Speaker 2: This list does it even talk about her time on Dancey with the Stars, which she freaking rocked.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, did anyone know she did.
Speaker 2: Contestants they've had on the show only crap. She was amazing. Okay, I did not know that she was so good. Yes, I am a huge fan of her.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Next, we've got Bella Thorn is Avalon Green. Thorn was Inda's co star and Shake it Up. So Disney knew this partnership well and they obviously knew it would work. Thorn is another double threat, releasing music still today alongside collaborators like Liam Payne, Olivertree, and Juicy Jay. Thorn would also appear in movies like The Duff Blended and Tyler Perry's Boo a Medea Halloween, also in TV shows like Dirty, Sexy Money and Scream Now. While Zendia's career has gone more mainstream, Bella has gone a little more risque. This was amazing to me. In twenty twenty, she joined OnlyFans and became the first person to ever earn a million dollars in her first twenty four hours on the platform, a million bucks in a day. She never really released anything nude either, which became its own controversy, but Thorn has become universally known for pushing the envelope, even directing her own adult film, Her and Him. I can promise you got to watch it on your own, because we will not be covering that movie. No, that's woo. I don't even want to know what the reshow chatter for that one would be, like, I know know. Now I'm saying, now we have to do it because I just want to see Sabrina try to recap it. And I'm gonna let you do all the recap for it too, because, oh, it would be the funniest thing I know. That's why it might need to happen.
Speaker 2: My god, oh God.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing we could get the actors to come on to interview them. Mary Mouser is Savannah and Emma a double duty. Here's it's a big lift for the young actress. Mouser is most recognizable now as one of the stars of Cobra Kai, playing Samantha LaRusso, but some of our listeners may recognize her from the movie Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, which is a great title. And Nick Robinson is Jake. Nick was first seen in the TV show Melissa and Joey, but is best known as the star of the movie Love Simon and the spinoff Disney Plus show Love Victor. He also starred in movies like the blockbuster Jurassic World he played the Giant Dinosaur, and the critically acclaimed TV show Maybe He Might He was probably the guy. Actually he might not have been the dust. Stephanie Scott plays Julianne Bryan. Scott was the star of the previously mentioned Disney show at Farm and what is a common theme for many a female star in the channel. She's also a singer. You've also seen her in movies like Insidious Chapter three and Jim and the Holograms. And also we have a lot of great Canadian local talent as well, and some that I'm guessing were Canadian and weren't that great. There was a couple misses in this movie for me where it was like, that's not the best acting I've ever seen in my life, but not from any the main main cast, that's true. But most importantly, Frenemies is per that's my horrible drum roll sound. Eighty seven minutes. Oh, we missed the mark by three, but still on the right side of history because rather short than long, which is not something Bella Thorne said while directing her adult movie, like my favorite writing credits here are a bit complicated with Frenemies since it's broken up into acts, so we have a handful of people to mention. It all starts with the book's author Alexi Young. Then for all three acts we have David Savell, a season TV writer dating back to the nineties with credits on Grace, Underfire and Ellen, then moving into family television as an EP on That So Raven and Sonny with a Chance. Then in Act two we have Wendy Weiner, who, per the formula, is the writer with very little credits that got paired up with someone they trusted. Weiner worked on only two other shows, dating Rules for My Future Self and The Talent Show, but has not worked in the business since Frenemies. And then Act three brought in James Kreig, another prolific writer who I have worked with in animation. First, he worked on TV shows like Monk and Supernatural, but has become the go to writer for cartoon superhero projects like Batman, Lego, DC, Green Lantern, and the recent Justice League movies. I was in all those. Woo woo. Okay, let's get fashion forward with all three acts of Frenemies. But before we do, I want to add one more to the list because I think this is very important. This movie was also cast by two people named Barbie Block and Sally Steiner, who also cast a young Wilfred Ell in a show called Boy Meets World. So they cast a lot a lot of these d cooms. We will have them on at some point as well. We have to say they're great, So shout out to Barbie and Sally who are amazing. So here we go, though with frenemies. We start zoomed in on Halleb's iPad, the modern version of seeing our main character's bedroom. We quickly learned through narration and images on the screen that her and her best friend Avalon created the awesome webazine Geekly Chic. Now, for all the things that became popular on the internet, webs were not one of them. Did you know what a webazine was? I mean, other than by the name, Had you ever read a webzine on one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I probably have. I think it was. It was something that kind of came in and out really really fast. But it was a lot of the different gossip sites or magazines kind of went this way very quickly and then transitioned out of them into like social media stuff.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I think I probably kept for the ones that I randomly kept up, I don't keep up that much on it, but I do remember seeing it, and then I remember probably going and going where did this go?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's no longer here right.
Speaker 1: Well, for all our listeners out there who do not know what a webzine is, it is obviously a combination of a website and benzene. Geglely Sheik appears to be a fashion zcene with articles, blogs and pictures. But were told it almost turned best friends into total enemies or frenemies the title of the movie. But getting ahead of ourselves here, this also happened to another at school too, but his bestie wasn't a human, it was a dog. So Haley swipes into a new video and boom, we're somehow in story one. What do you think of the iPad mechanism here, like using that to kind of get us in.
Speaker 2: I think it's the best we've seen so far.
Speaker 1: It's not bad. It's not bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, I again, they don't have trillions and trillions of dollars to do these dcoms, so you know, the bar hasn't been set very high to you know when it comes to the graphics. But I think the way it went around and kind of popped up like I thought, it looked of its time and was the best that we've seen.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, I don't disagree. We start with Jake sleeping next to his big dog and best friend Murray. When his mom calls him down for breakfast. Murray licks his owner's face to wake him, but no luck. So then Murray wiggles his butt into Jake's face and farts. One minute fifteen seconds in, We've got a fart people, a new dcom record, And I knew what this movie was going to be right from that moment on. And this does, of course, jolt Jake awake, forcing him to notice he's late. He runs downstairs and eat cereal, right next to Murray doing the same thing. Then they both belch on minute forty two win, We've got a belch, also a new record, and we are off to a great and gassy start again. One thing I like about most of these D comms is they avoid this kind of stuff, the stupid kind of fart jokes and stuff like that. So when you're opening with one, I was like, ah, here we go. Yikes.
Speaker 2: No, But I thought this dog was so cute. I was in love with this dog the second It's great he came on the screen. He was so cute.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, wasn't he? Because it's twenty twelve, that dog is long dead. Jake asks his mom if the mail has come. He's expecting an award from NASA for outstanding work in molecular astrophysics, you know, like all kids do. And we're now outside and the two best friends are walking together, Murray on his hind legs, using luggage on wheels as a walker, you know, like dogs do, and Jake reminds him he's not allowed at school, so Murray runs off to greet the mailman and recycle the junk mail we're supposed to see that this dog is obviously like super superhuman doggie powers. Basically. At school, Jake is in science class, surrounded by board classmates, and he knows everything so much so that everyone wants to be his project partner, including Julie, the most beautiful popular girl in school. She butters him up, saying people who use people for schoolwork are totally lame. He agrees to be her partner, and she's gonna come to his house after school. He can't believe it. Jay's gonna get some soon after a Jake's house, he enters his room with Julianne and immediately introduces her to Murray, which is always the hot thing to do. Hi, welcome to my house. This is my best friend, my dog Murray. Now, as a dog person, I love to do that, but it's it's kind of weird. Is my best friend exactly? Murray, of course, is a good boy, wants to shake her hand. She reluctantly obliges and quickly disinfects, and I was like, doesn't like dogs. Kick her out out of the house already, get her out, big big red flag. Her phone rings and she excuses herself. It's two of her cool girl pals. She tells them, I'm using this nerd to get myself of a nice grade in science. And now we hate her fly good news for us. Murray has heard everything and he's growling. She now hates the dog even more and quickly goes back to Jake, who has started working on a cowpoop experiment lots of poop jokes, another hot thing to do on a date. Murray is still bothered though, by what he heard, so he's blocking Julianne's chair, not letting her sit in it. Eventually, Julianne kicks the defeated dog out of the room like the real female dog. She is Jake's mom. Then makes her way upstairs with a special delivery. It's the NASA letter. He tears it open and it's the award. Wow, he's basically an astronaut. Julianne comes running out. What did she miss? This shocks Jake's mom. Why and who is this fluozy in his son's room. Julianne, who thought the NASA award was a gift certificate and is calling him Jakie, introduces herself. Jake pushes his mom away and warns her that Murray has been acting up. He doesn't know why. Julianne thinks it's as bad breath as the rivalry heats up between her and the pet. Now, Jake and Julianna are at the park studying, or at least Jake is studying. Julianne is pretending to read a magazine called Science Spree, but is hiding a fashion magazine inside of it. Jake throws a ball from Murray to fetch, and the dog eventually stops to talk to a pretty poodle. Beyonce is girlfriend. And that's a real thing because my dog Sammy has a boyfriend up the street that she loves and they hang out all the time. So that's an absolutely real thing. Ye well, well exactly, they're not frienemies. Julianne wants to leave the smelly park that is ruining her shoes, but Jake says dogs need exercise. Murray then drops the ball on Julienne's fifty percent silk dress, and she is disgusted. She hurls the ball to the other side of the park, showing an arm the Chicago White Sox could use this season. What to throw? The ball lands in a girl's sketchbook, and this girl is very, very nice to the dog. Meanwhile, Julianne suggests that Jakie maybe finish the project without her. He's offended, obviously that she ditch him, but she says it's because she can't even think straight around him. He's just too darn cute, right. She assumes he has a girlfriend, but he assures her he does not. She then grabs his hand and says, then today is your lucky day. Oh no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Hatred just grows, and the hatred grows.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking about Yolanda, though, don't get me started. And then he sees Murray he's skateboarding back with the ball in his mouth and that nice girl with the sketchbook is running beside him. Her name is Savannah, and Jake thanks her for bringing his dog back. She recognizes Jake from school as a science whiz, and Julianne, his new girlfriend, marks her territory, telling Savannah to get lost, just flat out just get lost. Savannah skates off casually, doing a perfect kickflip on her way out, forcing Jake to compare her to Tony Hawk, and this might be one of the greatest moments in dcom history. Just a casual, very difficult skating trick. As she leaves, no big at all, we knew she was super cool. Julianne calls her Tony Gawk, which is not at all a well crafted joke because Gawk is in an insult. It's just dumb. Why not use Phony Hawk, which would have been better anyway, Julianne has to leave. It is many petty time. As she leaves, Murray growls again and she wishes for him stay out of my way, doggo, and he sneezes on her face. We are now back at Jack's house. He's sleeping in again and Murray is licking his face to wake him up, but this time he's fantasizing the tongue is Julianne's, because that's what you want from a girlfriend, is to wake you by lick at your face. Eventually, Murray farts on him again and he wakes up. Once downstairs, Jake shows off a new cool dude wardrobe. He's dressed like he's in the band, plain white teas, but also wearing Johnny Depp scarves. His mom is startled and Murray covers his eyes. Jake leaves about even having breakfast with his best dog pal because Julianne is waiting for him. When the mail is delivered. Rather than just focusing on recycling the junk, Murray grabs what looks like a love litter. Jake wants him to drop it, but the dog takes it right to the toilet and tries to flush it. Then Jake looks Murray in the face and says, dumb dog, this really hurt my feelings, don't. Then Murray watches Jake leave, looking sad as hell. So now you've got this girl you hate, You've got a guy who's being mean to dogs, And I'm like, don't like this movie. Farting yelling at dogs not a great start for me to this film. Oh yeah, So now we're back at school and Jake's classmates thinks he looks duded up and totally cracking, whatever that means. Then we get a story crossover. We see the webazine writers Halle and Avalon walk by. They stopped dead in their tracks for a fashion intervention, calling the Scars a serious faux pa. They say, not even zac Efron is worrying them anymore, and they help him out with some changes. So this means, and I'm trying to figure this out, if this is the first time this has happened that High School Musical exists in this universe. So is this our first d com that talks about somebody from another DCM?
Speaker 2: Is this the first time if it's the first one that this happened to, But it's definitely the first one we've watched, right, well, I mean except for kind of Miley Cyrus showing up in High School Musical two at the end.
Speaker 1: Oh right, okay, so this kind of cross.
Speaker 2: So this wasn't like a oh you know, a Miley Cyrus fan poster in the back of the room.
Speaker 1: This is them that talking about another d com.
Speaker 2: Actually, stop and go, I wonder why Disney didn't do that more often, especially in the D coms. I get her, I guess in the shows, but especially in the d coms, Like it's kind of like that, that's interesting why they wouldn't have done it a little bit more, just like a little bit of a couple.
Speaker 1: Of It's interesting to see how they try to incorporate different universes together, but sometimes they don't. I don't know, it's just it was so funny to have him be like, oh, they mentioned another dcom kind of so totally very interesting. As the writer's scurry off, Julianne walks up, she thinks he looks so fly and pushes him to finish the project. We're now back at Jake's house and Jake's mom is painting the walls hanging out with Murray. When Jake and Julianne arrived to do homework upstairs, okay, so were you allowed to go upstairs to like your room was one.
Speaker 2: Of the stuff our stars stars on My Sabrina seas what in the world is happening? No? No, I mean even when I mean especially not a new person that my parents didn't even know. And then again, like when I had a boyfriend in high school. I had a boyfriend for a long time in high school, and if he was up, he was allowed to go up in my room. But the door was open. And like I told you, Kathy was a ninja, so there was we never knew when she was just gonna pop in and be like hey, you know, like you just never knew. So it was very it was you know, made to be known that if he was in my room to if we were studying or studying. He was never studying. What are we talking about? Probably playing I don't know, video games. I don't even know what we would have really needed to be doing in my room unless we were like making out.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, were you sneaking kisses?
Speaker 2: There's really I don't need to be in the room to be honest, guys, come on you to.
Speaker 1: Answer my question, were sneaking kisses?
Speaker 2: Were you sneaking kisses? Are what a good place for a boyfriend and a girlfriend to be, you know, even with a ninja as a mom, which I have to be practicing my ninja skills because I tend to be I am like down to be as good as Kathy was. Because you're gonna have she was just like mom.
Speaker 1: She just comes down from the wall like dressed to the same color, Like, what are you guys up to? Yeah, no, you don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: Well, when we were downstairs, we had there was definitely a couple of the stairs that you could not get around to not creak. And somehow, I don't know, sliding down the band she knew.
Speaker 1: What. Oh, that's the best that is. I just see the visual. That's awesome. Yeah, no reason for the boys and girls to be in the room together. There's too much chance for monkey shines, my friend, monkeys, too many opportunities for monkey shines. I don't buy it. Monkey shines, goings on and shenanigans. We don't need any of those things. You don't need any of them.
Speaker 2: I know this is a big thing because it happened twice.
Speaker 1: It No, that's not okay. Once they get into his room, though, Jake is shocked to see everything has been torn apart. Julianne spots her love letter, now fully chewed up. She demands he take the dog to the pound. Jake scolds the dog, and Julienne steals his NASA award If he doesn't get rid of that dog. She will, I mean, trying to get rid of his pet. It's oh my god, it's nefarious.
Speaker 2: Moving so fast, get this idea. I'm starting to realize, Oh, this is gonna be like a short Yeah, it's a little short film. It's not, it's not the whole thing. Absolutely, this is moving so fast. I can't keep it up too fast.
Speaker 1: Later, Julianne jogs to Jake's house and pretends to be the mailman, but instead of junk mail, she delivers the NASA ward, now sprayed with her perfume, with the stench now and the house. Murray thinks it's another love letter and flushes it down the toilet. Jake is barely able to save it, but the family is shocked. Why would Murray do that? Jake is furious. He says he hates Murray and tells him to get out. And I wanted to just smack him in.
Speaker 2: The head because I could not imagine and actually filming this way. You've gotta like yell at the dog like I hate you, frustrated that the dog is just so looking at you, so cute.
Speaker 1: I know. Yeah. Murray sprints out, angrily, running through the neighborhood. Eventually reuniting with the skateboarding Savannah. No Tony Gawk kickflip this time, but she assumes he's lost and takes him home with her, which why would you not just take him back to anyway. Jake is trying to drive the Nassau ward with a fan and his mom thinks Murray ran away. She reminds Jake that's his best friend, but Jake corrects her they were best friends. Now they're enemies, and his mom suggests maybe they're just frenemies because that's the name of the movie. But again, the dog does one thing and now he's like the dog runs away and he's not even out looking for him. He's like, that's it. We're not friends anymore, Like, what the hell that's your dog? Dude? Ugh Yolanda. Jake needs to finish his project, but his mom notices that Julianne isn't helping. Jake defends her, it's just what a boyfriend does for his girlfriend. But what he really wants to know is if Murray is coming back. His mom sarcastically responds, it matters on what guys do for their Dogso that night, Savannah is with Murray and she's showing him Jake's picture in the yearbook, she admits that she has a crush on him. Murray is excited at the prospect, but Savannah doesn't think he'll ever like her and pulls out her phone to call, finally telling Jake, Hey, you know I have your dog, which maybe she should have done hours ago, but as she picks up the phone, Murray steals it. Apparently he doesn't want to be found. Ooh Murray. The next morning, Jake wakes up late with no Murray to fart on him, so he has to get up. Once at school, Jake is carrying his project and Julianne, who is fleecing some other boy, Leonard for a book report. She now has more than one boyfriend. What a floozy. But the good news Savannah saw it all go down. She closely tails Julianne and then another boyfriend, this one with the homework from another class.
Speaker 2: This girl is just six disgusting.
Speaker 1: Right back at savannah house, Murray is still looking at Jake's yearbook photo, remembering what used to be. He eventually jumps up and runs back out on the streets. He is now on a mission at school. A beautiful drawing of Murray is on Jake's locker. It says I found him, which is either a very nice realization or some sort of a threat. I couldn't figure that out. Jake admits that his dog ran away because he's been spending all of his time with Julianne, but his friends assure him that Murray would never have destroyed the NASA award if he knew it was important, And then it all starts to come together for Jake. He realizes Julianne must have sprayed something on the paper, which seems like quite a big conclusion to jump to in ten seconds, but he picks it up right away. He now knows his dog was framed by his girlfriend. Jake is really mad. He can't believe she used him. He says, the next time he sees her face, she'd better watch out and then set it up. She walks right up, but instead of doing anything, he just turns into a smiling, spineless boyfriend. She pretends she loves Murray and his heart broken, he's never coming back hopefully. Ew why does she say hopefully? So? It totally busts her and she did it for no reason whatsoever. She let herself get busted which I thought was kind of strange. Weird it is, but this helps him realize she used him. He didn't figure it out, but his dog did, and that's why she wanted to get rid of Murray. Jakie storms off to class, with Julianne close behind, defending herself but also making sure he finished the project for her, and that's when Savannah burst in, flanked by Julianne's other boyfriends. Busted, Julianne calls Savannah weird, but Jake disagrees he likes Savannah and breaks up with Julianne right there. Jake doesn't even care about the project. He can always get another A. He's disgusted with how he treated Murray, and that's all that matters right now. He passes the project to Julianne, who gloats. But here comes Murray. Why does he give her the project?
Speaker 2: Why did he get that to her? I would have. I mean, he's saying he doesn't care, he'll get another A.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm like, smash that thing.
Speaker 2: I thought the same thing, shit right over your knee, threw it on the ground, stop on it, wind her face and say you suck.
Speaker 1: Julianne, you suck dog. Hater. But here comes Murray. He gallops into the room and tackles Julianne, throwing her the ground, breaking the project in pieces, and stabbing her with a homemade shive. I'm kidding. I'm just seeing if everybody's still with me. Jake knows. He owes Murray an apology. He says a girl will never get in between them again, and this is slightly awkward for Savannah, who came in hoping she was going to get some his upcoming girlfriend, who announces she's leaving. She says goodbye to Murray and trades a smile with Jake. As soon as she's gone, Murray starts to pull at his best friend Scarf. He doesn't like to look either, and that is the end of our first story. Act one, who we pull back and we are on the iPad once again. Avalon and Halle say they included Jake's story in the webazine because of their own frenemy story. We see Hallie sitting on the bed and finishing an email. She feels around her dresser and finds her flip phone. Love a flip phone? Did you have a flip phone?
Speaker 4: I don't, he.
Speaker 2: Missed, No, I feel like I had one. The first phone I had was actually one of those like bonger ones. It was skinny, but it was it was yes, and I put all the faces on it I had. I had different faces for different outfits. I was so light.
Speaker 1: Did you have, like the one that was blinging out was like blinged out, and then one was paying.
Speaker 2: One, one that was pink, one that would go with blue, one that was neutral. I had them all. It's so sad. I mean, I was like a frequent shoper at those places in.
Speaker 1: The ball the kiosks in the middle that had the difference, so.
Speaker 2: Many more, I promise you. I can't even like, I'm so embarrassed how much I used to go to one. Oh Mom, I gotta go, mom, I gotta get to know. I gotta get on it, like, oh man, so I don't have I don't have one for this outfit, and I'm really excited to wear it.
Speaker 1: I gotta get of course you did. I love that. It's just it's I gotta be honest. It seems on brand for you in high school. It really does. If I'm honest, Arena, it seems.
Speaker 2: On Brand's so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: You had a cheetah one. Dude, didn't you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, if you would have even understood what my dorm room looked like, Like my bedding was, well, it was in high schools. My senior year, I got a brand new one and it was black and white, different, like it.
Speaker 1: Was like a like a cow pattern kind of.
Speaker 2: There was cow, there was zebra, there was cheetah, there was like all these like it was like different, quiltic kind of you're living. Oh my gosh, if you could even see it, it's just so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I love it so much, you know what.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I just got to own it.
Speaker 1: Own it. Hallie calls someone and announces that she sent the email. On the other end of the phone is Avalon, and they're both so excited. She sent their webazine, Geekly Chic to Burn's publication and hopes that they can do business together. They pull the shades on their windows, and this is where we realized that the two besties live right across from each other. They complement their outfits and get ready to leave. Haley's older brother, Kendall, drives his sister Avalon to school, and this is where we learn he's falling in love with his multi language GPS system at school, the same as Jakes. Of course, the girls are approached by their bullies, a preppy school newspaper editor named Walker and his two goons, who were the least gooney goons that have ever gooned. He's rejected their attempt to buy an ad for geekly chic in the paper, even though they're serious they have business cards. He holds up the business card and says, geeklyshek dot com is for losers. Avalon quickly snaps a photo and texts it to the whole school, which is a thing that happens in movies a lot and can't actually happen in real life right anyway, so it looks like he's endorsing it now, and the little duive is mad and angrily walks away. Avalon stood up to Walker, but Hallie is still unable to be aggressive. Now. In the computer lab, the girls check out a new feature on their site where they can track the location of visitors. Right now, it's just them and Hallie's mom, but then they noticed that someone in New York is visiting the site. Who could that be? Halle's phone rings? And believe it or not, it's Burns Publishing. It is Sherry Saint Clair, the editor. She wants to meet with the girls in Manhattan tomorrow. Their biggest issue what will they wear? This leads to an insane transition which again are not my favorites, but I'm sure other people loved it. A music video back in the iPad with Avalon dancing in different costumes in front of green screens, a flapper, a cowgirl, an alien in space, et cetera. What did you think of this kind of stuff?
Speaker 2: You know what I I didn't understand. I mean, I know that we've got it set up to where Avalon is this little fashionista and whatever. But what I did notice is that she could dance. So then I went ooh, we are definite. I know that Zendeia can dance. So now I'm going, Yes, we're gonna get a dance We're gonna get a dance sequence. It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. I'm ready for it.
Speaker 1: And that's what I was going, Oh, we're gonna get a dance sequence, kind of get a dance sequence.
Speaker 2: It All this little bit took me to was the excitement that I'm gonna get to see these two girls dance.
Speaker 1: It was this moment that really made me realize that this movie especially is really for the younger Disney Channel crowd.
Speaker 2: This whole movie felt a lot, yes.
Speaker 1: A lot younger than and when I kind of got into that mindset, I had a little bit easier time with it where I was like, oh, even for Disney Channel, they're skewing to like nine and ten year old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're looking at that. We're looking before high school. Yes, demo exactly is why. That's yeah, that middle school between stuff. Yes, yeah. And I do think that this middle one, out of all of them, this middle one was my favorite one out of the three of them. None of them made sense together really, of course, very much to do anything, but this little the middle one. The relationship between the two of them, I mean, this took me to like when I was a little girl, like I had a best friend that was down the street, but having her next door where I could just like open my windows the best thing ever, Like, oh my gosh. I was like, oh, this is so this is cute and yes, very young.
Speaker 1: No, I get it. And and this is one of the problems I often come across when we're doing magical rewind Is am I supposed to judge it as is it a good movie? Or am I supposed to judge it as is it a good movie for somebody?
Speaker 2: Ten?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that because that's two different things. It does. That is two different things. But that's why the great dcom is the one that's a great movie period. Yeah for the fan, so yes, so yeah, anyway, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think like a family would sit down and dad would be into this one.
Speaker 1: This is kid yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: It could really just.
Speaker 1: Be yes, this is not going to the mat or one of the other ones we've talked abou where the whole family can watch it and everybody can enjoy it. This seemed like a movie for little kids, so that's a different way to score it. But anyway, yeah this Now we cut to the big city and the girls are in the burned skyscraper office, sent directly to a conference room with a very intimidating Sherry Saint Clair. She is shocked to see their young but loves their fresh new voices and geekly chic. She loves that too. She wants Halle and Avalon to launch a new website, a magazine, and a fabulous clothing line. This will become an empire like Goop or Panera Bread. The girls are so excited, but Sherry is confused. She had a call with Halle the editor this morning. She wants to know who this avalon is. Is this her assistant? And once she reveals them as co editors in chief, Cherry hates it. Now why would she hate it? That doesn't make any sense. Who cares? You've got two young girls running the thing. Who gives you if it's both of them? I didn't understand that.
Speaker 2: If you love if you love the site, you love the site. That's it. Who cares how it's made up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seemed like unnecessary drama, but we get a half explanation about how Sherry wants to staff it herself with underpaid designers but only one editor. Again, this makes no sense either way. She wants to break up the team so they must choose which one of the best friends moves on. So basically, the woman is just evil throwing two little girls in a p it to have them fight to the death. To make it fair, she gives them both one week to come up with a cover story for the very first Geekly Chic issue. Whoever's the best gets the job back at school. The girls, of course, Field defeated. This is the worst possible case scenario, but Halle has found a cover story. Indie musician Jean Frank is coming to America for the first local concert and she wants to interview him before he blows up. The girls agree this is a great idea, but now they're fighting over who can do it. And let's be real here, this was Halle's idea.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so he came up and talked about it.
Speaker 1: And then Avalon was like, it's my idea.
Speaker 2: How are you taking this partial owner? You can't just like bring up an idea, a business idea of any sort and then say I think you should pronounce it this way instead of that way, or make one little like tweet and then and then take ownership of get out of here, not yours Avalon.
Speaker 4: That was weird.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's obviously Halle's story. I don't even know why that was even a question, but whatever. But it doesn't really matter either way because the concert is sold out, so now the competition is on. Each girl is going to try to get into the show and get the interview. It's Avalon's aggressive talking style versus Hallie's impressive writing skills Avalon and of course they're trying to make it where it only works when they work together. But yeah, that's why I knew it was very young again. I was like, Okay, they're really hitting overhead with this. Hallie immediately tries winning tickets from a local radio station, but was just one call off where Avalon, on the other hand, has set up a table in the school hallway free fashion makeovers in exchange for Jean Frank tickets. Not even a goth girl is interested. Eventually Walker approaches her and says he knows a guy whose daughter is engaged to the dry cleaner who fluffs and folds Jean Frank's clothes, so she finally has an inn. Avalon immediately finds Hallie just to rub the ticket in her face. Good friend. They enter class together and hand over their cell phones to the teacher. Then Hallie comes up with another idea. She finagles back avalon phone and calls Jean Frank herself. He's in Paris yelling at a maid and only speaks franch Somehow, she pretends to be Avalon's assistant and secures the ticket for herself and a pre interview beating her to the punch. It worked, but she sees that Walker has hurt it all. This is going to backfire, and of course, instantly it does. We are back in her room. Halle gets an urgent call from Avalon. Shaight up now, and we reveal that Avalon is with Walker and his goons again. Still not gooning, but wow, that was fast. She knows that Hallie stole her ticket and now they're best friends for never.
Speaker 2: I loved that.
Speaker 1: I loved that this is best friends for never. This is a disaster. That night, Avalon sneaks into Halle's brother's car, you know, the one with the sexy GPS system, and she fidgets with the settings and proves two can play at the sabotage game. You don't say sabotage, I say sabotage. You say sabotage. So when Halle and her brother get into the car, excited to go to the Jean Frank concert, they noticed the GP has been switched to Urdu, which is a very much more difficult language. And when Halle finds one of Avalon's earrings, she knows who did this? How are they going to get to the show. Now. They bust out an analog map that is a paper map people, but that of course is no help. Those are for olds at Club Butterfly for the Jean Frank show. Avalon has arrived and picks up the tickets for Halle Brandon. She makes her way to the dressing room for the pre interview, and he wants to know where Halle from the phone call is people in this movie, shure, do you get nervous about phone calls and meeting in real life? But the map did work for Halle. Eventually, and she's arrived at the sold out show. She gets crafty and walks around the back right as Avalon starts her interview with tell me about your music, then pivots to a horrible question about his ripped jeans. Then boom, Halle falls through the window, interrupting the interview. The former friends go at it about who should be there. While Jean Frank is just happy he has crazy fans, Halle is immediately nervous, trying to blurt out the question she wrote. Eventually, Jean Frank steps in and yells at them, but without his French accent. Wait what he admits he's not French at all. He's Johnny Frankowski. I think he says his name is. People only listen to him when he pretended to be someone else. The girls tell him that being true to himself will inspire their fans, and he quickly agrees. With very little fight. He just gives up his entire persona. The scam is suddenly over. Is just gonna be himself and play acoustic.
Speaker 2: It happened, has acoustic guitar ready in hand.
Speaker 1: It just happens, And that's where Murray comes in and farts on them all. Callie and Avalon are so happy. The story is incredible, but they still don't know who's gonna write it. We cut to the girls in Sherry Burns's publishing office. She's impressed with a Jean frank expose, but wants to see the other article. The girls explain there's only the one. Cherry will have to make the decision off of that, So the editor thinks for a second and picks neither of them. She thinks they are two little girls who can't do anything without each other, and is this the meanest human being in dcom history? This is one step below Corella Deville. Wanting to make a coat out of puppies.
Speaker 2: Just I mean, it's just it is so harsh, and I was thinking at this point, I'm trying to ride for this stupid character and going, oh, you know what she's going to do. She's testing them, and they're going to stick up for themselves. She's going to have her assistant when she gets on the phone, she's going to have her assistant go, you know what, tell those girls they've got the job or whatever.
Speaker 1: It didn't happen. Nope, didn't happen. She's just a bad person. As they leave, Halle finally fights back, though she's conquered her fear of speaking up in high pressure situations. Why can't best friends work together? If Sherry won't accept them, they'll go to a bigger, better publication. The girls leave with a high five, but Sherry is sweating back at school. Avalon is proud of her best friends standing up for herself. Even Walker is impressed. He heard about their little run in with Burns, and he has a cousin in Memphis who drives a limo for Anyway Teens Now wants to do a huge story on geekly Ic, and the best friends are thrilled. Obviously Avalon is even now crushing on Walker. They're former nemesis. We cut to the girls now laying in bed watching the team now report about themselves with a newscast. Her name Lucy del Gussie and we have to add this to our best d COM's names list. Am I right, it's been a while, but how do we know?
Speaker 2: I had to rewrite and write it down. This is a good one, Jackal Johnson, I mean these this is good.
Speaker 1: Lucy del Goosey is certainly up there. It appears Sherry came crawling back because Geekly Sheick reportedly turned down and offered to sell to Burns. They want to keep it independent. So really the entire segment of this movie was about nothing. They're in the same position they were in before. They're still friends. It was just very strange. Yeah, Geekly Chic will publish the Jean frank story or John Frankowski story, and both girls will get the credit. Their website is now being visited by people all over the world. So the girls dance on the bed. Then Lucy del Goosey in the TV says, girls stop jumping on that bed. Then her finger comes out of the screen and pauses them and we're back on the iPad and what the just happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was so weird.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: There were several times in this movie also where the actors looked at the camera without meaning to. This was not we're going to break the fourth wall on purpose. It was just the actors accidentally looking on at the camera and they kept it in. And then we had these with like weird wall breaking. I didn't get what was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I again. When you see those, you're going, did they not have another cut?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is this the best one you picked? She's looking right at the camera.
Speaker 2: It was you did have one other cut?
Speaker 1: See something?
Speaker 2: You could see her look at the camera?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You kit? Yeah, I know. Well this is where we're now finally introduced to the last story. It follows.
Speaker 2: A minute.
Speaker 1: You're kidding me right now.
Speaker 2: We've got another one.
Speaker 1: We got another one. We ain't done, people, we got another one.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm sorry but to break it to you, but we are not freaking done.
Speaker 1: We're not done yet.
Speaker 2: We are still in Canada, people in Canada with the Canada flags waving everywhere.
Speaker 1: Waving everywhere. This one follows Savannah the skater girl from story one, she almost got well, it turns out that she almost got frenemiede by a girl she didn't even know existed. So we see her stunt double shredding on a half pipe and it's clearly her stunt double shredding on a half pipe, and her dad calls her in for breakfast. We think she has two Brady brothers and a sister, or she has three Brady brothers. Go back and watch for yourself, because we've had different people saying different things, producers not knowing, us not knowing, We don't know what's going on. But she either has two Brady brothers in a we're just amazed that we have to do this at all, that we're not done yet. Yeah, it's like we Oh my god, I didn't I knock him out last round. I can't believe we have to go out. The fights not over yet, but they're all fighting for bacon. They're running out of school. Savannah couldn't get any foods, so her dad gives her cash for school breakfast and something pretty like sneakers from them all, And maybe we've got a decom dead mom here. I don't know, or because they know, they're not divorced, but we didn't. We didn't ever talk about the mom in anyway, never even talk about the dad, the dad in Jake's story. So we've got a lot of single zero parents. Yeah, that's why they're running off to New York by themselves at eleven? Who allows that? Oh wait, that was my life to anyway. Savannah skates to school, eventually running into Jake and Murray. She says hi, and then crashes into some bushes, falling out of sight. Jake leaves, assuming she's time traveled or was swallowed by sinkhole. Maybe he doesn't ever really look into it. She eventually gets up and brushes herself off, saying goodbye to Murray and skates out of frame. And that's when a stretch limo passes by, with a familiar looking girl rolling down her wind to say hi to the dog. It is a British girl, Emma Reynolds, wearing a proper uniform for Legit Academy, that is what they called it. And she looks just like Savannah. I mean so much so that it's actually the same actress playing both roles, So that makes sense that they look alike, She tells her butler Pemberley that she wishes she could have a dog, but he says her parents are not open to the idea. Right here, just curious. What did you think of her accent? Was it passable enough for a d comm Yeah, I thought so too. I thought so too. Was it perfect? No, But for an actress of that age doing multiple roles like this and doing the different accents, I thought she was frankly the best one of the movie.
Speaker 2: My first thought was we just did Double Team and said, I mean, you know, this was years prior or years after Double Team, but we just said the amount of production value you have to have to be able to pull off doubles or twins, this movie is big. And I'm like, we just talked about this, Yes, we just did it.
Speaker 1: So here we go by the way, I'd like to be fully and totally transparent. Or we've released our double Teamed episode and from what I've heard, Oh, Sabrina, We're gonna get some for what we talked about Double Team. That's all I want to say about that. People love that movie. They love that. It's gonna be brink for me all over again. But anyway, we're back at school. Savannah makes it just As the bell rings, Jake opens the door for her and they have an awkward exchange about muscles. We then travel over to the British girl's mansion. She's returned with Pemberley and is greeted by her very pompous parents near the indoor pool. She gets some money for new shoes too, then broaches the subject of getting a dog. They are disgusted by the idea of getting a pet, just like Pemberley predicted. And now all three stories are combining. Here we see Halle and Avalon at the shoe store and they spot Emma and her butler, but Hallie thinks it's Savannah, but it can't be because skater Savannah is also in the store. There are two different people, and the geeky sheet girls, well, their minds are just blown. Now Savannah and Emma are back to back, showing off some of that Disney special effects budget. They pick up a shoe and ask in unison, do these come in an eight. This causes them to notice each other and their similarities, as does Pemberley. Though these two live completely different lifestyles, they are like twins from different planets. That's when the geekly sheic ladies officially introduced Savannah and Emma to each other. They know this is the perfect story for the webasine, and I get what they're doing. I just felt like there's maybe a bigger reaction to turning around and seeing essentially your identical twin right something freaky Friday.
Speaker 2: It's like, whoah, moved past that whole point of them being the same person. I mean, they are identical. It's not like we got the two actresses from.
Speaker 1: No Double Team, Double Team, or even when Tam did it. Remember when Tia and Tamara did it, and they they had the moment of like, wow, you were twins. You look just like me, right, and.
Speaker 2: They're not even They don't even talk about the idea that they could be twins, especially when and I know we can't do you know, parent trap type situation. But it's like your dad, I don't know where your mom. I was thinking, oh my gosh, we're kind of doing part and then we saw the mom of her, you know, the rich parents.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they saw both of.
Speaker 2: Them, but you know, could be remarried. I don't know, it was weird for this.
Speaker 1: I felt they.
Speaker 2: They have to be sisters.
Speaker 1: There's something you're literally identical anyway. Yeah, they use identical twins when they shouldn't use identical twins, and they don't use identical twins when they need to use identical twins.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: We cut to Emma and Savannah having lunch at the food court. Emma says her mom would freak out if she started eating there. These two seem to really be getting along. They share stories and think that if they had each other's lives for a week, they'd be happier than ever. And so, with the help of Hawie and Avalon, they decide for one week they will trade places. The girls go off to the bathroom and reappear in each other's clothes. The only way we can tell the difference is the accent and the fact that Emma can't skate. And again, Mary Mouser does a very good job here. She's basically playing four different characters and doing it really well. Yeah, we are now at Emma's mansion. The Limma returns and Savannah can't believe what she's seeing, but she quickly throws on the accent and jumps right into a gown fitting for her upcoming birthday ball. Meanwhile, Savannah meets one of her new little brothers and experiences the chaos of having a big family. She tests out her American accent and it's pretty brutal. She meets her new dad and everything is awkward, especially when she gets to her room and one of her brothers is cutting his toenails in her bed. Back at the mansion, Savannah joins her new parents at a regal feast. She doesn't know what to do with her napkin and is grossed out when she finds out she's been eating snails, but her dad lets her know they got an opera singer for her birthday ball, like every kid wants, but Savannah suggests a taco truck. Then the dad doesn't doesn't know what tacos are, And are we supposed to assume that rich people don't know what tacos are? Really, yeah, that was kind of yeah, you don't know bacos are.
Speaker 2: But again, this takes us to the fact that we are watching a movie that's demo is targeted towards me very very young crowd. I agree, that would maybe be funny to them, right, That's what I kind of thought, like that, Oh, it doesn't even.
Speaker 1: Know what they don't know what tacos are. Yeah, and I'm only right. Okay. So the next morning, savannahs woken by an aggressive fencing instructor and exhausted from a ballet session, all while Emma finds herself waiting for the bathroom and fighting off brothers with a plunger. They already want to switch back, and they're like, let's just do this for one day. Yeah, yeah, done. So when Pemberley tells Emma she has a date with a boy named Lawns, I love how you say it Longs. It's Lance, but it's Lngs. This is the last straw. She decides to tell Pemberley that she is Savannah, and at first he's shocked but quickly says he'll keep the secret. Why would he do that for her? I don't know. Also, the way the actor played it was weird, where it was like he was shocked, but almost looked like he was pretending to be shocked, like he knew the whole time, But then they never recovered it was an odd acting moment. So Lance, it turns out, is Emma's boyfriend, a cute, little rich polo player that Savannah now has to pretend to know. And Savannah meets Jake, who can't stop talking about his dog. It's a bit much. He doesn't even say hi, he just brags about Murray doing the.
Speaker 2: Makarina mycerino, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Emma quickly realizes that Jake is the boy Savannah likes and sets up a date with him. So this is starting to get a little tricky. On the date, Emma is sitting with Jake, with Savannah hiding nearby, keeping tabs on the whole thing. Jake holds her hand and Savannah, of course gets jealous. She perfectly throws a towel from behind a bush, landing right on her double's face. The two girls rendezvous and start bickering. This is not working out, but Savannah reveals she'll now be going for Lance in retaliation. Keep in mind, people, we're still in the same movie. So Lance and Savannah are now on their date at the park and run into the throttle of Emma, Jake, and Murray because he's obviously as involved in this relationship as anybody else. They have an icy exchange while the dude's real lies. These two girls look a lot alike. Case somebody notices you guys look a lot alike? Savannah mentioned, Yeah, Savannah.
Speaker 2: A little bit like are you twins? Did you just find each other?
Speaker 1: Did you do?
Speaker 2: You guys each have half of a locket? Like what's happening here?
Speaker 1: Yes, seriously, let's find out what is going on with these people because this is a question that maybe we should look into. Yeah, you'd think. Savannah mentions this weekend's birthday ball and invites everyone, infuriating Emma. We are now at the ball. We're moving very quickly. This is very stuffy and a high class party, and the opera singer is in full effect. Jake reveals he likes all the tomboys stuff from normal Savannah. He's weirded out seeing Emma in address. Savannah then enters the party to applause and adulation from Lawnce. She's looking for her doppelganger and egotistical Lance. I can't keep saying. It doesn't get why those Yeah, it doesn't get why she's looking for him because those dog park people are beneath them. This type of attitude makes her finally break up with Lance, but again not her boyfriend in real life, so who knows she just broke up with the dude that she's not even really dating. Savannah then runs into Emma and Jake, and the two admit their prank. They can't do it any longer. Savannah gives the tiara to Emma. It's her party after all. The geekly sheet girls are there too, because why not. They take some pictures for the blog and keep moving. Emma learns that Savannah broke up with Lance for her, but Emma isn't mad at all. She's wanted to do that since the third grade. Lance thinks this is all Jake's fault and jumps him right there at the party, so his fall covers him in chocolate and splashes the opera singer. Emma's parents think the party is ruined, but the geekly sheet girls know it's just getting started. Everyone then starts dancing to a pop song that just magically starts playing, and then everyone breaks into a synchronized dance my fave. Emma and Savannah also realize neither of them invited Hallie and Avalon. Emma's parents love the taco truck, and the dancing continues, and Pemberley gives his gift to Emma. It's the dog she always wanted. The movie ends with more of the magically learned dance routine that everyone just somehow seems to know. It also include skateboard time, double claps we pull out to show the party on the iPad once again. It's all been part of the geekly chic webazine of an oncoming Frenemies because that's the title of the movie. And then we get bloopers sort of, it's just mistakes from Murray the Dog. None of them are really funny. They just show the audience just how hard it is to work with animals. And that is our movie, Sabrina. Let's do some real reviews. I think you have the one star this week. What do we got?
Speaker 2: Uh? I kind of don't this is it somewhat goes into another little language for me. I don't really understand one hundred percent of it.
Speaker 1: This is a little too cool, I guess for I think it's for the youngs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one stars from Isaiah are this movie is trash, puke, emoji, l ratio, bozo, clown emoji, stick to Spider Man, Comma bozo.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't get a lot of it either, but it's one star.
Speaker 2: But it's a one star.
Speaker 1: I have the five star this week and it's a great five star review from Justin d It says, I don't remember anything about this movie. All I remember from the promos is a kid yelling at his dog. That's animal abuse. Five stars, five stars, Justin, Why did you care? I don't. I don't weird. I looked the other day on the magical rewind feed. I was looking at something and I looked at our reviews and one of them said this is I love this podcast. It's so wonderful. I listened to it all the time. One star, and I thought that was great. We are now, of course, at Sabrina's favorite portion of the podcast. It is our feature this week, stretch it out because producer Jensen has come up with a good one arm.
Speaker 4: Twin Jay Dog.
Speaker 1: It is called twin Flames. In this movie, we have Mary Mouse are playing two characters who apparently look just alike in surprise everybody. So we're gonna be getting the name of a celebrity and we have to guess if they are surprisingly a twin or not. If we can guess yes or no correctly, three out of five we win. Producer Jensen, are you with us?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm a true twin to winning this week, so good luck.
Speaker 1: Number one Giselle Buncheon. Oh gosh, is she a twin? Because if there's two of them, this is the most magical thing in the world.
Speaker 2: You gotta be Come on, give I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: A chance, but I'm gonna say yes, just because I hope it's true. I'm gonna say.
Speaker 4: Yes, she's a twin.
Speaker 2: No identical?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they look a lot alike.
Speaker 1: It's for sure, there's two of them. Wow, Canell's sister being like, how am I not famous? We look the same.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, how annoying would it be of me? Like you look a lot like Giselle?
Speaker 1: And she's like, my sister, Oh, can you imagine my twin sister? Number two KEI for Sutherland, I'm gonna say no, I'm say yes. I'm gonna say no.
Speaker 4: I'm say yes for Sutherland is a twin?
Speaker 1: Oh man, he is? So we're one on one, there's two Sutherlands. Number three Johnny Knoxville. That's such a random name. But oh god, it's so random because he's either a twin or Jensen. Just pulling random names. That's the problem with this guy.
Speaker 2: I honestly feel like I think he's a twin too. I think he is.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, would you think this is going to be one of those lists where all five of them are actually twins?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Okay, so then I'll say yes that then he's a twin with you.
Speaker 4: Okay, I will say that. My favorite part about writing these quizzes finding a name that feels like it's real but it's n He did it, honestly. If I could do it all day for a living. I don't know how I would make that job, but i'd like to. And no, dine out. Sill is not a twin.
Speaker 2: Ah, Okay, man, you know what, because I feel like if he was, he'd be in he'd have to be in his shows, like they would prank him like crazy or use him for pers Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. Yeah that's true. Okay, See now you're okay. So we've we've each gotten one right so far, so we've got to get the next two right. Number four. Parker Posey.
Speaker 2: I don't know who Parker.
Speaker 1: You don't know Parker Posey is? Parker Posey is great? Do you ever see like waiting for Guffman.
Speaker 4: Well, she's having a big moment right now.
Speaker 1: She's having she's on Yes, she's on white loads.
Speaker 4: She's the star of the new white loadus to stand out.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yes, okay, okay, okay, I'm gonna say no, no.
Speaker 4: No, Parker posey positively a twin?
Speaker 1: Oh come on? Really? Yep?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know why that matters, Sabrina, but I think I like, she can't believe that it's.
Speaker 2: Because because it's you. If you say, okay, this, don't come, don't come for me. But when it's like you're doing something like this and it's a twin that's not even the same sex as you, like it's like a boy.
Speaker 4: Twin, it's like it is it is a boy twin.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes a difference. Like Giselle, if it was a boy twin, I would not get definitely that it's a girl that's killing.
Speaker 1: I saw a picture of Jazelle's twin or Patricia. It's on your phone. You can look at it. It's she's she's pretty.
Speaker 4: She's pretty, stunning, she looks like.
Speaker 1: Pretty, she's pretty. Man number five weird Al Yankovic.
Speaker 2: Now, this makes me feel after he said that about Johnny Knoxville. But he might have said it just set me up. But it makes me feel like.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say no. I'm gonna say no, I'm gonna say no, can't No, it's not.
Speaker 4: But I wish you did. I wish it was normal. Sally Yanka that.
Speaker 1: Did you get three? Did you win?
Speaker 2: I finally, yes, I did. I said no for the fifth one, which means I won.
Speaker 1: Did you get three?
Speaker 4: I'm so used to saying no, I'm sorry, Okay, I didn't wait.
Speaker 2: Oh I no, I didn't win. I thought I said no to yourself. I got number two, right, I got number two, number five?
Speaker 1: Ok, thank you so much. Producer Jet said, yikes, can we now do a Sabrina SAEs? Okay?
Speaker 2: So I really didn't have a lot. There were things that just threw me off, like this is how I had to I had to kind of rewatch things because I was going, I'm so lost and so not not in these that I had to kind of rewatch. So I was trying to find just random stuff like the dusty rose color for the wall, like what a weird color for a living room wall?
Speaker 4: Please don't do that.
Speaker 2: That looks that's crazy. Then a big home alone with the girl or in the room with the girl that was like still just a huge thing for me. They had I I missed him when I rewatched it because I was again finding myself halfway rewatching. But they had a lot of things like when she talks about the manny petty, then she does like a little like so I can hand in my paper. And then when the twin one that they she I couldn't find which way it was, but I was trying to find that. They had like a couple of those little like nerd nerderder, and it was again just going just going for that young comedy for the kids, like a lot of it was just a lot of young comedy.
Speaker 4: And then I was just.
Speaker 2: Gonna say that the first one really took me back to I had my dog Rocky, who's no longer with me and I miss him all the time. Was the best little dog, right, And I had a boyfriend very early on or just pretty close to before I met Jordan. The boyfriend I had before Rocky hated him, hated him, and he's a little mini shit so he doesn't really honestly care about anyone. He was like the dog that just like would just cuddle you'd forget he was there. Hated him so much, and he would antagonize him so much that one time Rocky wet for his face. He was like in his face, like growling at him, and Rocky went for him, got him, and I grabbed Rocky and ran out the door because I thought he was going to kill him. And I was like, dogs, do know when people come into your life, you must listen to them, because I wish it was that moment that I was like, you gotta go, and.
Speaker 1: He was Rocky in your dog's face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was just like playing like but it wasn't like how you like. It was like he was being mean. Ask him to stop doing that because I could tell Rocky, and Rocky was not a hyper dog in any sense. He was a shit to He just chilled. Yeah, he could take him anywhere. No one ever really knew he was with me because it was just an awesome little dog. And when he grew, when he got him, he got him good.
Speaker 1: And I was like, that's he break skin? Was he believing? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah he did? And I mean that was crazy to because Rocky had never bit anyone, like, not even anything like that.
Speaker 1: He knew he knew.
Speaker 2: So listeners out there, if you have dogs that don't like someone that you are bringing into their lives because it is their lives as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got it, got it go? Yes, I agree, one hundred percent, one hundred percent. Okay, So it's now time, of course, to rate our program. And we're gonna do one out of ten this week, I think, and we're gonna make ten the best. Let's do that. It's just fun to switch it up. So here are options. This week. We've got one out of ten Tony Hawk kickflips, one out of ten cow poop experiments, Johnny Depp scarves, sexy GPS systems, totally cracking, duded up wardrobes, one out of ten, Best Friends for Never, one at a ten, Lucy del Goosey's or one out of ten titles of the movie. I also like Tony Gox or rich people who don't know Tacos. I think I get to pick this this, I think you do? I think I do. Now, this is tough for me because I would love to do best Friends for Never because it's great. But rich people who don't know Tacos is just kind of awesome. So I think we have to do one out of ten rich people who don't know Tacos. I also think it's my turn to go first, isn't it. I think you went first last time.
Speaker 2: I honestly we got track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, I think, so I'll go first this time. Okay, if I watch this as a ten year old, it's probably a six or a seven six and a half rich people don't know Tacos. I still don't think it's a great movie for kids ten or eleven, but it's clearly focused on the younger crowd, so I could see if I was judging it that way, I could say it's a six point five, maybe even a soft seven rich people who don't know tacos. But I didn't watch it that way. I watched it as a movie, and watching it as a movie, I'm gonna give this four and a half rich people who don't know Tacos. I know. First of all, Zindai is great. She's great, Bella Thorne was great. None of the there's great. Some of the small acting bits were not great. But Mary Mouser phenomenal in the movie. She played like four characters, the guy who played Jake, none of that. None of the acting was bad at all. I mean it was not, But the story didn't make any sense. They didn't really connect A lot of it just didn't make it, and then they'd break into random stuff for no re. I just I didn't get it. I could go. So I'll make it a soft five. We'll do that. It's gonna be five rich people who don't know tacos for me because I can only watch it as I am. I can't watch it as a ten year old, so I get what they were going for. But this was not a particularly good movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wish they would have gotten taken that middle section, give it a little bit of a rewrite, and make.
Speaker 1: It what the whole make it the movie cam was.
Speaker 2: I don't think we it was necessary to have these three. I don't know if this had to do with bringing in a new director or like what it was, and they were trying to just I think they were just trying something different, you know what I mean? Maybe nine, which is fine. It just means I'm hoping that this didn't wasn't a trend that continued, because if we have to watch fifteen of these kinds of movies, I'm gonna really so I'm hoping they saw it was kind of a miss, and you know, zendeya watching her on film, I would watch She's that middle se for ninety minutes, no problem, and the.
Speaker 1: Two of them were great together that it made me go.
Speaker 2: God, I want to kind of go back and start watching their show because their connection and their chemistry was so adorable and so amazing. But when it comes to this movie, like I said, I had to go back and rewatch stuff because I zoned out, I got up, I paused. It wasn't a movie that I watched front to back. Like I love watching so many of these d cooms. I'm positive there's going to be another Zendeia movie out there for us to watch d coms. There's definitely another one, at least I want to say there's at least one more. There is, thank you, Lisa, and I want to watch that soon because I need to see her in a better dcom than what we.
Speaker 4: Had this movie. You say that, I think Zendaya in Challengers was like the best movie of last year. I thought it was really really great.
Speaker 1: So I watched Okay for whatever she does, That's what I mean. That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I think my rating is going to be a little bit higher because of that, and I'm gonna go with the six point five Wow okay, rich peoples without tacos, because I do think that this the channel does have to switch who they're catering to. They can't always cater to the exact audience. This was a young movie, too young for me to watch at this point.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred percent. I think that's fair. I get I'm harsh, but only because it just wasn't good for me. But anyway, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: The dance that dance part for me exactly pushed it up for me. It made me go, I'm so glad. I waited till the end of this movie to be able to finally see the two of them do a little dance number where and I was watching.
Speaker 1: They're dancing a sudden what the hell is happening?
Speaker 2: The skateboard adding the skateboard propping because of the skater in the movie like that was cute. I liked it, I was in it, and I thought the choreography was pretty good. So six point five.
Speaker 1: There you good anyway. Anyway, thank you everybody for joining us for this episode of Magical rein On. Our next movie is going to be two thousand and five's American Western Buffalo Dreams, available now on Disney Plus. What is it you know this movie?
Speaker 2: No? I just we have on our chat been talking about this movie and I everyone that keeps coming up in this cast. I am so excited to watch.
Speaker 1: I know nothing about this so I can't wait. This is gonna be fun. Yeah, So you go ahead and watch it if you want to prep for our little analysis there, And as always, please remember to subscribe to our dedicated Magical Rewind feed because we have week after week after week of exciting interviews of Disney and dcom legends. Just search for us on your favorite streaming service like Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, or wherever you get your podcasts. I promise you it's well worth it. And if you want more info, you can follow us at the Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. You can go do that now. Thanks everybody, We'll see you next time. Bye bye U