Speaker 1: Hey, I'm welcome to the short Stuff. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry sitting in for Dave, which makes everything normal. That's right, Chuck. Yes, we're going to do this like an old school stuff you should know episode.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling I know what's coming.
Speaker 1: Have you ever gotten an Amber Alert?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 2: There's nothing more sort of ear splitting and troublesome, immediately troublesome and upsetting than getting that claxon Amber alert all of a sudden at your nightstand, coming through your smartphone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's actually a little older than I thought. I think those started in twenty twelve. Wireless emergency alert Yeah, and yes you can turn them off. But if you turn them off, you are shedding a slight amount of your humanity perhaps, although there's a debate about whether they're being over used or not. But one of the wireless emergency alerts that you can get is an Amber alert. Specifically, there's other ones we'll mention at the end of the episode, but the Amber alert is like the OG and it has a terrible tragic origin story to it. Amber actually is an acronym for America's Missing Colon of all things broadcast emergency response AMBER. But it's also the namesake of a girl, I think a nine year old named Amber Hagerman who lived in Arlington, Texas in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 2: That's right, And we should probably tell you what an AMBER alert is before we get into that sad story, because if you're from abroad, you don't know that an AMBER warning is when a child has gone missing and they send out basically we'll see it's operated by the state, but essentially almost always ends up being a nationwide alert sent to highway billboards that are digital, sometimes lottery signs that are digital and can be changed your cell phone, on the television, and they just they get it out in all these ways that hey, we're issuing this now because you know, usually it's like this child is in this kind of car and on a highway, and if everyone keeps their eyes open, we may get lucky here if everyone really pays attention for the next few hours.
Speaker 1: That was a great definition of the amburlers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I sort of went off on my own thing, but I think everyone knows that the likelihood of finding an abducted person or a missing person gets less and less as time goes on. So those those first that first hour is just so critical, even if they can get out a warning that says there's a Ford Taurus with this license plate and this kid is in it, so keep your eyes.
Speaker 1: Peeled exactly all right, Well, thanks for setting me up for telling the tragic story of Amber Hagerman, but I kind of have to now. Yeah, back in January of nineteen ninety six, Amber, who was, like I said, a nine year old from Arlington, Texas, had gotten a bike for Christmas and was riding it around near her grandmother's house. And there was an abandoned wind Dixie grocery store the parking lot of which she was riding around, riding her bike around, and there was a local man, a seventy eight year old man named Jimmy Kevell, who was watching a ride her bike. And Jimmy Kevill apparently is the lone witness to Amber's abduction. He said that a black pickup truck showed up and a white or Hispanic man in his twenties or thirties got out and took Amber forcibly with him, and there was a nationwide search for Amber. I'm not exactly sure what it was about. That case that got everybody, but her disappearance launched a nationwide search pre amber alert, and tragically, three i think three days later, dog walker found her body in a creek. Because of the need, it showed to coordinate to get the word out at the Dallas Fort Worth Area Police Department's law enforcement got together with the broadcasters from the area and said, hey, let's figure out like a basic way to get the word out for abducted children, like asap. Let's figure out a standardized way to do that. And they came up with the Amber alert. I think within ten months they had the system up and running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is a great thing. Sadly, they it's a case it remains unsolved, but let's take a break and we can get back and talk a little bit about the specifics of how they work right after this, all right, So I mentioned that it was up to the state, which is true. Every state has their own criteria for issuing amber alerts and how it goes down. But the DOJ, the Department of Justice, did issue guidelines about recommendations that kind of break down into five categories for different reasons. The first one is law enforcement has a reasonable belief that a child was abducted. This one's pretty obvious on what that means. The second one is law enforcement believes the child will suffer serious bodily harm or worse. And the reason they have these criteria is because there are missing children all the time and not all of them. In fact, very few of them get the actual Amber alert. So this is to sort of qualify for that specific case. And the bodily harm one is the need for just a timely response that they have information where they believe, you know, in a lot of times it could be like a relative that has them that's very upset or has made threats and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think the the crux or the underlying gist of AMBER alerts is abduction by a stranger, because that's the greatest danger typically that an abducted child can be in. There's also a standard that most states have adopted seventeen or younger. They're like, let's not put pronouncements on what's a child or not. We can all just basically agree anybody under eighteen as a child and if they meet this criteria, then we're going to issue an Amber alert. And then the last part is and this is a step that not everybody takes, but it seems very critical. You want to take that information that you send out on the Amber alert and enter it in the National Crime Information Center system, flag it as a child abduction, and all of a sudden, the AMBER alert will go from a local or a state or a regional thing all the way out to national like nationwide. Law enforcement all around the country will have an alert that this kid has been abducted, so be on the lookout for them. But not all states have that as part of their criteria contingency plan, which is supper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, there was one we missed. The other criteria is there's enough detail about the appearance and the abduction of the child so they won't issue an Amber alert if it's just like like I don't know what my kid was wearing, I don't know where she last was. I really have no information. They have to have pretty concrete information about what the child was wearing at the time, what they looked like at the time, and where they might have been adducted, and especially if there's anything like you know, it was a black pickup truck or it was it was definitely my brother in law and this is his car. And license plate number, and on the seventeen and younger thing, because it's different states. Some states may have a guideline that it's let's say fifteen, but they agree to honor the rule of the state that the abduction took place in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if the amber alert makes it across state lines, yeah, So there's I said that some people are are critical of not necessarily Amber alerts, but just alerts in general. Because if you're woken up at three am, whether it's an Amber alert, a silver alert, which is used to alert people of a missing person with dementia Alzheimer's purple alert, is one for an adult with cognitive impairment who's going missing, it's all the same to you. So there's a part of issuing amber alerts. And one of the reasons why the criteria is so strict is you don't want to get people used to those alerts. You want it to be a big deal when your phone goes off with an Amber alert at three in the morning, that everybody takes the time to wake up and look, that's that's crucial. It's a crucial part of it because if everybody becomes desensitized to it, that's a problem. On the other hand, there are people who are like, there's a lot of people who need to have their their the fact that they're missing be alerted out to everybody that just don't meet the criteria of the amberl alert. And so there's other kinds of alerts. Someone's Everbridge alert, which is it's cases where children have been targeted or abducted or gone missing, but they don't meet the criteria of the Amber alert. Like say, you know for a fact the child was abducted and that they're probably in danger, but you don't have, like you said, the description of what they were wearing or what kind of car they were forced into, you might not issue an Amber alert. And in fact, in twenty twenty, there were three hundred and sixty five thousand entries that year in the National Crime Information Center system for missing kids, but two hundred of them met the criteria for AMBER alerts to be issued. So there's a weird balancing act that you have to go through that I don't think anybody's figured out yet, But that's why that criteria is supposed to be so rigidly adhered to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and from what I've read, it's not like there's any it's just about the alert, not like necessarily how hard the cops may be working to try and find this missing kid. It's just a very specific criteria because I think when it meets that criteria, that means there's a decent likelihood that if you act fast in the next few hours, like I said at the very beginning, then somebody might see something that could really help. Because we have all this information, I feel like most of the ones I've seen have been family members, which is interesting. I had no idea that it was supposedly for stranger abduction, but they've done a lot of good work. From nineteen ninety six to twenty twenty three, Amber specifically Amber alerts have contributed to the recovery of one and eighty six children, and then other wireless emergency alerts rescued one hundred and sixty five and over that that may not seem like a high number over that period of time, but if it's literally the success of a single signal being sent out finding eleven hundred and eighty six children, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the stories I've seen bandied about by pro Amber alert people just basically everybody that there was like a kid who had an amber alert miss or issued and was recovered within like less than thirty minutes because of the amber alert. So it definitely does work. I mean, if they're only issuing two hundred a year and they in seven years they managed to cover almost twelve hundred or thirteen hundred children, that's a pretty good track record.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, you got anything else, I.
Speaker 2: Got nothing else. Keep that alert on. It's distressing. But and if you're you know, if you're on the road at the time and you see something like that, like you do your part. That's what they're looking for, is people to really keep their eyes peeled and be vigilant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you're a state legislator, maybe take the time to really sit there and see if your state has too many or is issuing too many of these things and is in danger of desensitizing the public because you do not want to do that. And of course, since I just spoke directly as state legislators, that means short stuff is out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you should know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or
Speaker 1: Wherever you listen to your favorite shows.