Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, I'm back. I'm blacker than ever because I was in Africa. I'm brown and this should and this should and this ambition. We're extra black in the studio today, Mandy.
Speaker 2: I know not only that blacker, but more. Tiffany girlsivity times too.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 2: We call you adult Chase since you just got back from Africa, and.
Speaker 1: By my African name. Yes I know. So I was like, so, because we're gonna throw Tiffany right into the cross here is because Tiffany Cross is her name. So I'm gonna introduce her really quickly because we got to talk. I actually will so I think, Mandy, next time it's just me and you, I'll talk about the trip because we have no to talk about.
Speaker 3: Tell me a little bit about the trip if I may, but follow your ladies lead. I'm obsessed with all things African. I have an African name, so I'm I'm na tiffanyin.
Speaker 1: I went.
Speaker 3: I went to Ghana like a name. Okay, well I did African ancestry. I have my lineage straight, so I literally my matrilineal DNA connects all the way back to Ghana. And so I went to Gana and had a naming ceremony, and that's my name, and tell me yours again. Adulci adulte okay, so a Beena Adoche and Mandy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like the Peggy and I'll be Nandy Africa, although I am mostly Nigerians of Tiffany. I'm coming.
Speaker 1: Hustle. I said you could, all right, so we are welcoming to the show. Tiffany de Cross most recently hosted The Cross Connection on MSNBC Get Into It. She's the author of Saying Louder Black Voters White Narratives and Saving Our Democracy and previously served as a Resident Fellow at Harvard Kennedy Schools Institute of Politics. Her broad experience across media, politics, and policy include more than two decades of navigating newsrooms and campaigns while engaging different constituencies on the ground. She is a former DC Bureau Chief of b E T News Okay, and cut her teeth in media at CNN, where she worked as an associate producer covering.
Speaker 3: This is an old bio, this is it? Oh, you got all the important stuff, but this is I mean. I didn't mean. I'm sorry, I'm rude, girl.
Speaker 1: I know I felt that when who read my bio. Anyway, she's the girl when it comes to like all things media, politics and right, and so we welcome her to the podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey tippin it. Hey ladies, I'm so happy to be here, and can I just first face congratulations, see you ladies, because as I'm navigating the podcast world, it is really building brick by brick, and you guys have built quite an audience and a platform. And I'm always happy to be one most importantly happy to be in the company of my sisters. But y'all are my sisters in many ways, including in journalism. So thank you for posting me, having me on your amazing platform today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so excited to have you.
Speaker 1: So we have you in here. But like I said, so just really briefly, y'all. I came back from Africa. I went to four different countries. I want to shout out the amazing tour. I guess you could say group that I went with it's called Black Girls Travel Too. I encourage if you a sister who wants to travel the world and you're like ooh, a little nervous, and whether you have someone to go with or not, it was amazing. I think the woman whor name is Danielle, who started in Girl and Yell wasn't on the trip with us, but she had Renee, who's a friend of mine. That's how I found out about it, and a woman named Zama. They were our two guides, if you will of this this like. It was two weeks, almost two full weeks, and we landed in South Africa. We did Johannesburg in Cape Town. Then we flew to Zimbabwe. No, yeah, we flew to Zimbabwe and from Zimbabwe we went to Botswana for a safari on land at Safari by Water and then we had dinner in Zambia. So four countries, two weeks. Every every hotel was better than the rest. The last hotel was my favorite, was owned by a Zambian woman. Oh, I'm gonna it's called Bono m A m A b oh. I don't want to get it wrong, but I'm gonna give her tenerary.
Speaker 2: I read it yesterday, cool copy and pastes. I'm going to do the same thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was so I like, when we go, I'll do Look, We'll do a whole episode talking through it because I think it's so important for to see the level of black women excellence. It was. I mean, y'all do not have traveled. It traveled and I have done group travel, I have done travel by myself, I have done family travel, and hands down, this was the smoothest, most organized. Like I shared the itinerary of Mandy. It's like, girl, there's nothing they didn't think of. Yeah, I mean down to sometimes the day like hey, on this day, you could wear bright colors. South Africa women tend to wear these type you know, like everything you could think of it was excellent.
Speaker 2: I mean on a What got me is they bring a photographer Tiffany to love it, so that you don't have to worry about all that and it's not in like they're there with you the whole trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So not the same one, but every country they would have And that's what I really love too, is that every country they really leaned into working with the people of that country. So your driving would be from like Zimbabwe when we were in Zimbabwe, and then when we were in South Africa, somebody else in Azama, who was amazing. This is a testament to just the magical proper is of black women, especially African women. Zama on our trip spoke like six languages and she was like, Oh, everybody speaks about four or five. I'm like, not me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean she would even across the globe.
Speaker 1: Five languages. She would switch between Zulu Tosa. It's like like that, you know, Yes, we were in the zam We're in the Zimbabwe. She was speaking a language there. I mean, just switching interchangeably in and out. Her angles was better than mine. It was excellent. And like I said, I'll share that hotel later. But have you ever read Born a Crime?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were saying the languages because he said, like that was such credo in his development, because he was able to go to school and make friends because he spoke all the different so languages, but the dialects and these languages that is communication. It's really like kind of like stupid ignorant that we don't that conservative sect of America that is like English only. You know, it's the same sect of people who are like, no, you know, we don't want any diversity or culture taught in schools. You know, we only want this fictionalized version of America taught in schools. And it's just baffling because it's like, why do you want your kids to be dumbered in mine.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not giving what you think it's giving. As the kids would say, right.
Speaker 2: The consortative argument is paper thin and it's so easily blown away by like the tinest, tiniest gust effect. It's just the fact that we're born from immigrants this country, like none of us is from here. We're but the English language itself is like a complete mil to be so much do the bare minimum, like lagnostic education. I know it's not about that, it's about yes, but yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Just want to, like before like I wrap up this because I we'll do a whole trip discussion another time, but I really do want to shout out black girls travel to please follow them if you're T O or the T two oh as well to O o oh too oh as well, yeah that girl's travel too, and then also too. I really wanted to shout out Bino Manor Hotel, a m M M b A n O Mba and O Manor Hotel and Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, that's where they don't even have rooms. You get a and I'm using the word humbly cottage cottage like so you get your own home that you live in. That is like I mean a claw foot tub in the middle of the bathroom. It looks like straight out of a magazine. And they have been featured in so many magazines. And the fact that it's own and run by this woman from Zimbabwe, this black African woman from Zimbabwe. The experience like was, it just was top tier. And I just so I told her, I was like, girl, why are not the why the girl is not coming here? Victoria Falls, which is one of the Seven Wonders of the Natural World.
Speaker 2: I'm a book a trip before with this episode airs because I feel like no one does a testimonial like Tiffany what.
Speaker 1: I love it. I'm like, it was they only had a eighteen she had eighteen college cottages and we took up ten of them. And so it is it is. I just I never say anything like it. We were just like mouth open, like what And I just end with this. You know, the very people that tell you not to go to Africa because so Dangerous's who's filling up these beautiful places when you go to Africa, Hoppy, you said that. I thought you saying come here, but here you are with all the children and your Yeah, And so I just encourage, like, you know, to to when you're thinking about travel to include Africa. I have been all around the world and I have felt unsafe in some places and this was not one of them. This trip was not one of them. And so yeah, it was just excellent. But like I said, we'll do a breakdown because we got a guest in the house. We have some mess to talk.
Speaker 3: Child really quickly, though, did you got me excited talking about Africa? I think it's so important what you say. But I think the other reason why it's important for us to travel to Africa because I hear people in the hosts on the ground they pictures in you know, Greece and Italy, and it's like they all know to role these countries played in the slave trade, what they did to black folks, and how they pill its Africa. Like, I'll be damn if I give my money there before I go to the continent and spend some money. But going to Africa reminds us that our stories do not begin when they say so. Our stories do not begin when we were kidnapped and raped and had the humanity beat out of us. In this country, we had a strong, rich tradition of spirituality, religion, fashion, upward mobility. Imagine what Africa, the continent would be had it never been pillaged by Europe, you know, and what we would be right exactly exactly Africa is continuously when you go over there, you see a heavy presence by the Russians, by the Chinese president. She is like all over Africa, and they are making friends. Beyond investing in the continent, They're making friends with their leaders. That's why when the whole Russian Ukraine conflict started getting more coverage, you saw some strange bedfellows. It was like, oh, the President's south there, evan food and we're kind of cozy there for a minute. And that's why. So the United States has not only step up their investment, but the United States citizens have to step up their intellectual curiosity and go go visit Africa. So I love that you went there, Tiffany. That's I'm excited that Myerian so like, hey went.
Speaker 1: In their background.
Speaker 3: I'm like, she go back, she stay.
Speaker 1: With that movie.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the Netflix with Regina King?
Speaker 3: I had seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really.
Speaker 3: I was happy to see Regina King.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, hey ba fan, We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back. So can we talk about the elephant and the room?
Speaker 3: Which one girl?
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 3: Is a lot going on?
Speaker 2: Well, let's start with the worst of the worst.
Speaker 3: Which one?
Speaker 1: But I would say the worst of the worst, but the most jarring when I first saw it. So we've all heard, Well, let's let's even take a step back. I think that we were kind of all. If you grew up in hip hop culture, had all heard the whisperings that he wasn't the greatest of people, you know, whether it's Wendy Williams or whatever, that you would just hear like that's all great things about Shawcombs. Certainly you would see none of his artists flourish beyond giving him, you know, their fame, fortune, money, time, energy, youth. You know, he always did well, And so you were like that seems odd as someone who was have all has all the success. How come no one else get success but you? And so when Cassie came out with her lawsuit, and then the following other lawsuits they came out, I don't think anyone I never heard. I didn't hear anyone gasp in surprise. Everyone's like, hmm, sounds about what I've heard and I didn't read the details. Certainly some of them were shared on on social but it just sated horrific. The parts that did get kind of like shared.
Speaker 2: I read that the one from his not from Cassie, but the one where it was like what was it his his assistant or there was some a woman or a man it was a man.
Speaker 1: Rob something yet he it was a producer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he came out with his allegations and you know, but Cassie so they settled that lawsuit, right, so she won she won that or ended in unsettlement of some kind. And at the time, I'll never forget, like you know, did he put on Instagram? He posted this statement like people are assassinating my character. I won't stand for this. And I feel like there wasn't I mean, I think you've heard about some of his like his brand partnerships had like you know, kind of folded as a result. But it didn't feel like he fully got the like the social reckoning, like the consumer reckoning that some of the some other people in media or entertainment have as a result. But this past week, what it started with the CNN video CNN got ahold of a video maybe you have some insight Tiffany into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me say, first of all, this story New York Times is the original outlet that broke this story. Yes, and so you know, it was clear from the reporting of the New York Times that there had been some engagement between the singer, Cassie's legal team and the legal team of mister Colmbs. And this is me ascertaining based on what I read that Seawan Colmes was like, I'm not paying you anything. And then when the New York Times story broke, if you go back and read because this is the first time that we heard about this publicly in a public setting, if you go back and read that New York Times article, it is line for line, like a transcript of what you see in the video that CNN later obtained. Here's the thing that I'll about this. It did not take the video for me to believe what happened. I read the Times piece and it was clear I believe that this happened to this woman. Unfortunately, a lot of the social commentary is consistent with what it is so many other times, with it's a money grab, or if it was all that, then why didn't she leave? Or you know, they're trying to attack Sean Colmbs. And then you have that, you know, motip man of s fear, ignorant ass you know, foolish sect of society of people saying all their conspiracy theories because he had sued Diagio as the parent company of his liquor brand, and so they're trying to take down this black man. The danger in that is we, as black women, are so often expected to hold not only our pain from these types of incidents, but hold the pain of our counterparts, hold the pain of our brethren. We ask young girls, you know, for generations, young girls, hold the secret of this adult man who touched to who violated you, because even we know how cruel and unforgiving the white man's criminal justice system is. And so immediately I admit, as black women are sometimes in a compromising situation. I don't support believe all women. I believe listen to all women. But because of the racial, the ugly racial history in this country, when it comes to white women making false allegations against black men, I certainly understand hesitancy. What I don't understand is this immediate move to completely discard this woman's testimony of what happened to her. So now that the video is out, there has been some shift in the public narrative of you know, people saying, oh, this is horrific. But the sad part is, why did you need that video? Why was her testimony not enough? Why was him paying her not enough? And I really can't put a lot of credibility in shan Colm's pseudo apology. I say apology and quotes because it was not exactly an apology. And how seriously can we take you in just one month ago you were calling her a liar. Here's the sad fact. One in four women will face some sort of domestic violence in their lives from a partner. And this is something It can be mental abuse, physical abuse, stalking, any kind of thing. And sometimes, you know, we it's normalized in society with couples like you know, Blue Space and Chris Sean and you know, even Whitney and Bobby. You know, we kind of look at this train wreck of a couple and laugh at it. And you know, it was like these cultural touchstones and in our feed and in our you know, conversation at brunch, and we have to stop normalizing these kind of toxic interactions because it starts out as verbal toxicity and eventually it will end up as physical toxicity. And so there's a divide happening in our community between black men and black women that I think we have to address. But the most important thing is the domestic violence component. It is heartbreaking, and Cassie is re traumatized every time we watch this video. I haven't posted it, I haven't shared it. I invite other people not to post it or share it either, but it's heartbreaking to see what happened, and I hope that she's doing well.
Speaker 2: I feel so deeply for Cassie, and I have but I you know, on the one hand, and I agree like with the video not sharing it or like continuing to proliferate it, which of course we know it's going to happen anyway. But for Cassie and for other women like Cassie, you know, it's hard enough when speaking your truth is instantly like. It's that risk and reward of speaking out as a victim that I feel like, especially public women who are public figures like Cassie. I see why she wait until the deadline, you know, for that lawsuit to go for it, and I just think it takes so much bravery for her to come forward and then to endure you know, the the you know, the statements that Diddie has put out it. I don't know obviously, I don't know her, but to see him do these like half ass you know, defense and apologies and to see him come out this week post video and try to play the born again man like I have been seeking help. Why did you say that before? I don't know why the apology didn't come out before, like you said, well, the facts were there though, but something about the video, It's like people don't want to read and you know what I mean, the facts have been there, as Tiffany C said, but like he waited and I mean it completely. Like when I saw it pop up on my feed, I was so jarred and so angry. I was like, how do I block this man from anything else? And you know, ever, and at the same time, it's like, what what are the next steps? Like what do you think Tiffany C. But I mean, like you said, this is not the first black man to be found. We have r Kelly, we have Chris Brown. I mean, there's probably you know, and even now Drake is being accused in all this, Like obsession over this, These.
Speaker 3: Distracts feel well, yeah, Kendrick. So Drake accused Kendrick of beating his wife, Can is accusing of Drake of pedophilia, and you know, and you mentioned Tiffany r. Kelly and Bill Cosby, and you know it's like, look, black women aren't the butt of your jokes, you know. And I think we are more than a punchline and a rat beef. And so I would challenge both Drake and Kendrick if you knew about this, you know, why is it came out in a rap beef? Not that you know. Kendrick is you know, supposed to police Drake, but it's like anybody who bore witness to this kind of violence. Because what struck me about this video is Diddy did it with such ease and barbarism that it was not the first time. You know, he did that with impunity, like he knew he would not get caught. So I this is my speculation. I don't have any reporting on this. That's just you know that he's done it again. But when you watch it, it was done with familiarity. And so it makes me question when we're you know, out bobbing our heads and having a good time, and everybody's writing thirty different think pieces on Drake and Kendrick that nobody made the point about, Well, wait a second, if y'all knew about women being mistreated, why didn't anybody say anything? Be it someone in your entourage, their entourage? What have you bore witness to? And what are we not hearing right now as we three ladies sit here and talk. Someone is not safe right now. And it could be someone who doesn't have agency over their own life, a child and a home. And if that's the case, and if you're listening, tell and tell and tell and tell and tell until somebody hears you and believes you and gets you safe, keep telling. It could be a grown adult woman who does have agency but has fear or over leaving. And so you know, to those people, we say, you are brave enough to stay, because if you're staying in an environment where you're getting hit, that's it's some bravery. So if you're brave enough to stay in that in dangerous environment, leaving is the easier part. Staying is the hard part. I can't imagine somebody putting their hands on me in such a violent way and a lot of us can easily saying, well, it had it been me, I would have Look, the truth is, more often than not, we're not going to be able to physically overpower a man, and we don't know what we would do in that situation.
Speaker 1: So everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
Speaker 3: That is really you know, yeah, I think no, I think that's very true. You know that. I think it's.
Speaker 1: Also to statistics show that when we do see women whose lives have been taken due to domestic violence, that oftentimes it's in the leaving that that happens. So you say, just leave, but the likelihood of your life being ended increases exponentially when you are leaving, and so it's not just like, oh, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Going to leave.
Speaker 1: Remember this is a man who this is? This is I mean, obviously this is alleged. But Kid Cutty, who was dating Cassie afterwards said this man blew up my car. Yes, yes, he blew up his car.
Speaker 3: Reference in New York Times are Yes.
Speaker 1: He said, yes he blew up my car. Because I was dating Cassie when she left him. So this is not someone she's not thinking, oh will he harm people. He's showing her I can do whatever because this is a friend of mine to meet her. She has a podcast called Ratchet and Respectable, and she talked about obviously this is a legit as well. She talked about a friend of hers who worked for bad Boy at some point and told just a really violent story and how he had Cassie come into the room he was having like a meeting like with his executives or you know, have her cat her come into the room and punched her or hit her until she fell to the ground and when they got up, you know, the people in the room gasping like what to help her? He told everybody to sit down and cursed everyone out and said manja business, and she laid on the floor and cried while he continued the meeting. Where's a girl like that supposed to go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she said, I do just want to say, Tiffany, there are reasoor I hear you.
Speaker 1: You know, but I'm just saying that because this is for the people who I'm not saying. I'm not I'm not saying that she shouldn't have. What I'm saying is people are saying as if like it's just so easy. It's like she's looking around to say, I feel alone. I'm in a world people, and nothing's happened. We saw what he tell She told her just go home, we'll take care of it, and he bought it. She's looking like, there's no place where I'm safe. The hotel won't protect me. His bodyguards are not going to protect me, His executives are not going to protect me. He's already proven to be so violent. Like, so I can understand her reasoning. Of course there are, but I can understand her reasoning of like, I don't know that there's a place safe for me to go. And I've heard from so many women who have been in situations like that that they didn't feel they didn't know that they had a safe place to go because he made it very clear that he would harm anyone in in that woman's life. So that's not the truth that there is no safe place. But I can understand the thinking because people think, like, why do you stay? Because it feels and you have empathy for this symphony as people.
Speaker 3: You know, I think what you're saying is very different from what a lot of the people online and say. You know, it's almost like blame and you're saying no, I empathize with that. I mean petrified. You are petrified, You're literally frozen. I this is, this is and is not a shameless plug. But I do want to say we have. When I saw this video, I was so moved and triggered by it, I disrupted our schedule on Across Generations. We have a special episode that comes out on domestic violence and I speak with across generations each week. It's an elder, a younger, and me. Yet it Tiffany cross across generations.
Speaker 1: I like that. Okay.
Speaker 3: So, so I have an elder, a seasoned woman in her sixties, and a younger woman who's in her twenties, and they're both survivors of domestic violence. And one of the women killed her husband served twelve years in prison. Another woman, her husband is an ex husband now is still in prison because he almost ended her life. And we hear the harrowing testimony. But what striking ladies is these women are decades apart. So the amount of resources that was available to one that was not available to the other. Uh, and yet both of their testimonies are very much the same. And it was I was bawling during this episode, like you just want to hold hold these women and hug them. So I distress to anybody if you're in that situation, please seek help, call somebody the Domestic Violence Hotline. I don't know what off the top of my head, but I got it right here for you.
Speaker 2: Go Okay, goog one eight hundred seven ninety nine seven two three three one eight hundred seven niney nine safe. You can also chat with them live. If you go to thethhotline dot org you can do a live chat. You can also text them at eight eight seven eight eight. Yeah, And we'll put that in the show notes for y'all.
Speaker 1: And so just so for those of you who didn't catch it, So Tiffany Tiffany C has a podcast called Cross Generation Across Generations or.
Speaker 3: Just cross Across Generations, Across Generations. She was across Generations.
Speaker 1: I got her most episode where she addressed this is horrific.
Speaker 2: We got to stop using black women as like one like to see him post Mother's Day was just passing away and to see him because that would pop up on my feet and I'm like, why the fuck am I still following him? But anyway, post about his ex Kim who passed away to I don't know, several years ago she died to post like a beautiful tribute to her as a mother, you know, and to post all all.
Speaker 3: The mothers, all the mothers, and it's just back to back to back.
Speaker 2: He did all the moms.
Speaker 3: It was his mom, and then it was first baby Mama, second baby baby Mama. The Irish twins were all the baby mamas who were pregnant at the same time it was. And you know, I really don't. I try to reserve my judgment on how people live their life, have at it, whatever, do you, But I do think there's something it's just tacky about the way that he conducted his affairs.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting, it is, and I hope that he is rightfully he gets his just desserts, and it has to be. We cannot ignore it just because he's a black man in power. That whole excuse has to die. It's disgusting that we should diminish our pain and diminish a suffering to protect someone who's not protecting us. It's absolutely outrageous.
Speaker 3: And women safe to stop doing that. Sometimes we contributed that misogyny as.
Speaker 2: Well and telling the women to start.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a weird Stockholm syndrome where when I read or somebody post something about a woman done wrong, some of the loudest, harshest critics sometimes are other women instead of expressing empathy for the woman. So I hope that we can challenge ourselves to not have that outlook too.
Speaker 2: Should we take a little woosaw take a break.
Speaker 3: I only bring this up because I know you guys wanted to talk about this, and I did wuz, but I'm also kind of pissed off like you guys about something else too, And Tiffany brought it up.
Speaker 1: We're gonna, We're gonna, We're gonna bring but we're like I do. We had to. There's just no way we could have had this episode or now.
Speaker 2: This is just a small example of why I got out of Daily News, and I commend you, Tiffany for still staying in that field. It is trying. We gotta talk about how you do self care. We did a kick creaky break though, won't be right back, Dan Fan with more with our incredible guest Tiffany Cross.
Speaker 1: And we want to talk about being bad built. That's one of my favorite insults. You bad built bitch, so.
Speaker 3: Like a thing. Yeah, is that. Yes, it was Leach bad butch body it was beautiful alliteration by Congressman jas and Crockett. So okay, the I believe it was. The Oversight Committee was reading in the House of Representative is in Congress, and the House is the lower chamber under the Senate, and the committee hearing was all about Merrick Garland, the Attorney General of the United States. And so Marjorie Taylor Green Trump maga right wing extremists, zealots and a halfway, if I may. She is constantly being disruptive in this committee hearing and really in life like she is, you know, disruptive and desperately seeking attention. And she asked a question, does anybody on this committee employee some judge's son and Congressoman Jazz and Crockett, congressman from Texas UH said what does that have to do with anything? And Marjorie Taylor Green responded with some nonsense, and she said, maybe your fake eyelashes are getting in the way. And you know, for all the non melanated people who might be tuning in and you hear somebody say, oh, you picked the right one today. When someone says that you have indeed picked the wrong one, and Marjorie Taylor Green that day had indeed picked the wrong one, and so they were trying to admonish her. Congressman Alexandria Ocascio Cortes AOC was trying to get her words uh stricken, and they wanted her to apologize, and Marjorie Taylor Green said she's not apologizing, and so they were asking the committee chair.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Congressman Jazmon Crockett so beautifully asked the committee chair, So, mister chairman, if I start talking about someone's uh beach bleached but badly built butch body, is that talking about someone's personality? And the chair.
Speaker 2: Yes, I googled it to make sure we get it right. Bleach blonde, bad built, butch body. Man is some guy.
Speaker 1: Who created cocktail.
Speaker 2: I mean, but the pale blonde, I mean, come on, it's.
Speaker 3: Too perfect accuracy in her description as well. If you don't know Marjorie Taylor Green, congratulations, but if you're still inclined if you google her, I mean it really not only was the alliteration beautifully and well timed, but the descriptor was I would say pretty accurate. But here's look, I applaud Congress from a Jasmin Crockett. I think there is something to be said. You know, we all remember Forever flowtus Michelle Obama saying when they go low, we go high. But there is something to saying I will meet you where you are. If you come at me with this energy, I will meet you exactly there. And I think sometimes to get into the political spectrum, Democrats do have a habit of being very highbrow and we're above it. And that political playbook was ripped up in twenty sixteen, and so for me, some people they think there's some reward in abiding by this structure that you know, mostly white men build and create and many white women help uphold. And I think there is something, and you have to be ready to face the consequences. Some people want to mumble and walk away, like you know, you know, forget them. Let's have the discussion right here, right now, and maybe next time you'll think twice. Because they only act a full like that when they are not outnumbered, when they're the majority. That's why you don't see MAGA rallies on campus as the HBCUs. You did not see January sixth march through southeast DC because because the pre gentrified neighborhood was going to have a response for all those Trump supporters and Martie Taylor Green should Donald Trump be re elected. I mean, she stands positioned. She could be a committee chair, she could be Speaker of the House. She could have outsized power when it comes to our foreign policy domestic policy. Jasmine Crockett is an educated woman. She's an attorney. She was a very instrumental figure in the Texas State Legislature. She replaced a Congressman, Eddie Bernice Johnson in Congress. She's an active member of the Congressional Black Caucus. She's a talented woman, and she has to square off with this ignorant, batshit crazy banjo picking cousin Dayton, half witted idiot from the Red Hills of Georgia who stumbled her way into Congress by dat writing Donald Trump being.
Speaker 2: From Georgia, I don't claim her.
Speaker 3: I'm from the AA, I am from Are you from Mandy?
Speaker 2: I'm from all over Atlanta? But yeah, I'm County.
Speaker 3: Okay, and I grew up in Cobb County. Oh nice, I went to high school.
Speaker 2: All right, so we can come. I mean, it's fine, but we must I agree like and if if you have ever had an argument where you didn't think of the right thing to say in that moment, like she and she must that's a smart woman right there, But like to pull that out, I'm like, forget the consequences. And I'm sure there's lots of thought pieces on whether or not we should be lobbing insults based on physical appearance. But like the fact that she said what she wanted to say in the moment when she needed to say it. I just feel like she slept so good that night.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, shout out to Congressman Jazz and cracking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hey, everyone knows her name now. I feel like, right, that's.
Speaker 3: Not her first moment. She's had several moments on the Hill where she has been ready, whether she's questioning a witness who has come to testify before Congress, or back and forth with her Republican counterparts. She is consistently ready. So this one happened to go more viral, but she's had a few viral moments, So I hope to see her in the sentence. It'd be hard because Texas, you know, has very we keep saying that is the purple state. We have yet to see it, but it could be a battle ground if folks down there did the right thing.
Speaker 2: Imagine Texas selecting that would be that would be wild Georgia. I feel like it's a lot more purple than Texas.
Speaker 3: Well, george is officially purple. Now Georgia is officially a battleground Texas, they keep saying, because it's one of the first that will be a majority minority state. And so the Latino population is the largest ethnic group in Texas, and it's a huge black population there as well. So collectively, I think those demographics are gonna flip. I don't know. I don't think they flipped already, but before the next census they'll they'll flip. But every time, like Bett wal Work ran for Senate there, I mean, there have been people trying to disrupt the political infrastructure of Texas and it's been a challenge. So I hope they do. Georgia did it, and so I think, you know, everybody says the South, you.
Speaker 2: Know, is pred I'm waiting for the governor, Like that's what I'm like, Stacy no oh in Georgia.
Speaker 3: Well no, but Georgia flipped down ballot. But Georgia flipped. They they flipped the whole state. They won the presidential they won the Senate, they won some of the ballot initiatives. But yes, but that's something to talk about, honestly, Mandy, because Brian Kemp an expert in voter suppression, Republican governor. He ran on anti choice rhetoric in twenty sixteen, so you know, the abortion fight came later, but a lot of that shitty policy bubbles up from the state legislature and he was one of the first people to do it. In twenty sixteen, white women outpaced white men in voting for him, So we'll see what happens when he's up for reelection. But there was something about that split ticket where people were voting for Senators Ossif and Warnock but not Stacy Abrams.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I don't know what doesn't for me. I struggle with it.
Speaker 3: I do them.
Speaker 2: I don't want to. Yeah, I do want to, like an you know, Stacy Abrams, she was like criticized for the black men not liking her enough and like really struggling with the blackmail audience, which is, I feel like the opposite of our conversation about Diddy earlier. We protect them, but they don't have our backs, so okay, yeah, but it's just it's I don't want to focus on the negative so much, but when it comes to Georgia, I'm just like, come on it because for me, state politics, I just wish it was so much more important to people and the local state, county level like all those it all bubbles up, you know. Can I ask you a bit about your career though? Because I went to the where'd you go to school? I went to Uga oh Clark, Okay, cause I studied journalism at at the Journalism College. We're not trying to call it grady anymore because racist slave owner. But if you throw a rock in Athens, Georgia, you're gonna pay a name of someone who was a slave owner. But anyway, I want to hear about, you know, your career and how do you come to you know, be this incredible like speaker and have your own podcast and be your own media brand unto itself and how does it well? I asked so many questions at once, but my second question is like self care because it's tough. I did start in traditional journalism. I you know, my niche was business and finance and I you know, there's a lot of crossover into politics, but I wasn't in it. In it, in it you have been through so many you know, huge like flash points in our history and having to cover that, like how how do you manage that? How do you take care of yourself so that doesn't start quickly?
Speaker 3: And the talk about my career briefly, I have always wanted to work in journalism. I always tell people I wanted to be the Brown Murphy Brown. I say that and some people look at me and say, who Mrvey Brown? So I'm aging myself. Yes, I'm that age now where people ask, But anyway, I yeah, that was my goal in life because if you can't see yourself, you don't even know what to aspire to be. And there was nobody who looked like me doing news as I wanted to do it, except for Murphy Brown. I was, you know, young during the dawn of OPRAH, but she was more talk show and not news at the point that she came on the national scene. So my entire life was geared towards that. I knew this is what I wanted to do. And even before I knew the nation's capital was a thing I envisioned I would live there at some point, and so I got a job in radio. First that you'll appreciate this, Mandy being from Atlanta V one O three doing the morning news. Yes, I did the morning news, honey, I'm sure learning show. Yes, well, shout out to Frankskie. He lost his son recently, so I wanted to send thoughts and prayers to him. But yeah, the franks Ski Morning Show. And listen, when I started doing news, you couldn't have told me I wasn't Barbara Walters because I was treating those low news cut in like it was the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: And you're I was super family, thought you were famous. I bet.
Speaker 3: I was praying to the Lord, like, thank you, Lord, if you won't do nothing else for me, I'm working at you we know three. I'm about to be able to go into Banana Republic and make it rain. I might even give me a little Honda sivingubling on mene me. That was mine, that was my ambition, and thank God the Lord had a bigger vision on my life than I did. Not that there's anything wrong with doing that, but that you know, I look back and it's like my my dreams, my future put my dreams to shame, you know where where I would later go, because I thought that was my peak. And so after that job, I landed at CNN. I was at the TSU Classic and I met somebody who was a hiring manager at CNN. He was an executive and this was before the internet and everybody had smartphones, and I used to carry around hard copies of my resume and I gave him a copy of my resume and just said, I just give me a chance. And he said, all I can do is get you an interview. That's all I need. And so I eventually started working at CNN. They relocated me to Washington, d C. To cover Capitol Hills. I did all the weekend shows, and I bounced around from different newsrooms and Mandy, you'll be able to appreciate this. I never felt welcome in any of them. I always felt like an interloper. I always felt like an outsider, and certainly, as a young person entering the business, I made mistakes, but so the fuck did everybody else, you know. But as a black woman, I had no godfather. I had nobody there to, you know, protect me from myself or protect me from other people. It seemed like this effort to get rid of me, you know, and make me feel as unwelcome as possible. I remember Bob Novak, he was a famed, infamous Chicago sometimes columnist, right wing conservative, and I remember him saying to me one day, do you have asked me who was which administration invented Social Security? And I did not know the answer, and I was, you know, kind of shamed in front of my colleagues, and I apologize for this Iron's guy. Every They're coming to get me because they hear me about this season. True, now I lived downtowns, they're always Syrons. But anyway, I didn't know. I felt shamed, and I just something in me, the inner voice in us that we need to listen to all the time. I thought if I asked him juxtaposed for me, the difference in the economic beliefs of W. E. B. Du Bois and Booker T. Washington, he would not be able to answer that question. And yet these were two people from the same time period, same you know, outlook, And somehow the history that he knew seemed more important to him and everyone else, and the history that where I was better versed was not as important. And I had to decide for myself that their perspective didn't matter. I they would talk about Friends, you know, everybody would come in the office and talk about the episode of Friends they came on last night, how much they loved it. And I watched Friends, but I also watched Martin, I watched The Different World.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: They would talk about movies. They would talk about there's something about Mary and drop these classic lines from those movies. Well, I watched something about Mary, but I also watched Coming to America and Boomerang, and it's like I dropped those classic lines right back at them, because, guess what, my lived experience count just as much as yours. But these are the things that can happen in the private sector, in corporate America, in the public sector, where you feel so isolated, you feel like the only and I was the only and there wasn't anybody around who could identify with me culturally or even professionally. What they thought was news, I did not think was news. And so after navigating different newsrooms, I was going in and out of news, and I got enough and I started my own business. I raised seven figures in seed funding, and this was twenty sixteen. Seventeen eighteen nineteen, I had a platform called The Beat DC and it was this is when all the newsletters were launching, and there was nothing that identify five black people, brown people, api people with you know people in politics. It was all very white centered. And I was just so tired of that because even in news and they would tell me what's appropriate. Again, Mandy, I feel like I'm preca acquired here, but what's considered unbiased and appropriate is often rooted in what's white and male. Everywhere I was these these ideas and ideologies were just, you know, a white structure, and it was exhausting, and so I wanted to build something that highlighted the rising majority of this country, the people of color in this country. And that is when I made the transition from the control room to the green room and I started appearing on camera. Even though I had worked in news and in cable news for like twenty years, at that point, I was just starting to be on camera. And so when I started doing on camera commentary, my sister, my dear friend, Joy Reid was transitioning from her show on the weekends Am Joy on MSNBC, and she was moving to primetime. First black woman to host primetime show and cable news Yes, and they reached out to me to audition to be her replacement, and eventually I got that show. We were extremely successful. We were averaging four point six million viewers a month, and everything on my show centered us in the rising majority. I stayed mission driven. When I was very young. My mission was always to live in service to black folks, and so no matter what I was doing or where I was doing it, I was true to that mission and that didn't change here. I wanted to fight for the equality and liberation of black folks and all people of color, which benefits everyone white folks too, And so on my show, every expert, every person you heard from was black, Asian, American, Pacific Islander, Latino, or Indigenous. How often do you see indigenous people on television talking about these issues that were not necessarily related to anything indigenous. So we would talk about issues relevant to the community, but we'd also talk about Ukraine. We'd also talk about our foreign policy, the rise of the Global South, all these things that we'd have discussion on with experts who just happened to look like you. When we had white people on, they were going to be talking about issues relevant to the community. When we talked about white women voting against their own interests, I don't need to hear from a bunch of black folks about that. Bring me some white women on this set. Give me four white women, and let's talk about why they vote on their interests. When we talk about welfare, give me the phase of welfare, because proportionately it is not black women. That was a Ronald Reagan trope, but it is not. The face of welfare was a college educated white woman. So give me a college educated white woman on this set. And so in doing that, I made enemies. I disrupted a structure, and I committed the cardinal sin of making white folks uncomfortable. And so Fox News took notice. All the right wing took notice. I was getting threats, I was getting hate mail, hate speech, all of it. The network set nothing. They unceremoniously canceled my show four days before midterms. We had exclusive interview booked with Stacy Abrams. It was awful. I mean, the ground dropped from anner me. And so after that, I, you know, all these people who I didn't realize what the show meant to people because I was in it. I was doing the work every week, and so it was such an outcry. And one of the first emails I got was from Will Packer who said Will Packer Media would love to be in business with Tiffany Cross.
Speaker 2: Oh and yeah, I remember the outcry. You know, I was you didn't mention, but I know NABJ must be a part of your journey, is it.
Speaker 3: No, they are a part of my journey. They were not a part of the chorus of people expressing outreachings. Unfunnyly, I have some issues with an ABJ, but I will give NAP a shout out because that's where I learned to cut a package, the NABJ Urban Journalism Workshop when I was just fifteen years old. I mean, they do amazing work. I think it gets complicated at the national level because they take money from NBC Universal and all the networks, and so when these networks do something shitty there often and like a lot of the civil rights organizations, quite frankly, same thing, and so there really is no accountability. And so at this point, I think NABJ is an amazing organization for younger people, for students. It's great resource. I think when you get to my level. I am starting to question, what the fuck are you guys there for if you're not going to ally for people, if you're taking money from Disney, and an ESPN or ABC reporter is saying, hey, I'm having this issue. If you're gonna, you know, favor profit and money, which you know it takes that kind of money the organization run, then I just have some questions about that with NABJ. So, unfortunately I am not affiliated with NABJ anymore. I don't anticipate that changing in the future, but I do encourage young people to definitely the conferences at all of it's it's it's crucially important. But yes, the outcome.
Speaker 2: I brought it up only because you did.
Speaker 3: I'm happy you did.
Speaker 2: Nobody because black media elites. I feel like we're really like spreading the word about what happened to you with MSNBC and that outpouring of love. And I always wondered, like, okay, so what's next, like where you know who? And I'm so happy to hear that you got that email and so is that how long has it been? That was twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: That was twenty twenty two when it happened, and then afterwards I went to Ghana. Like Tiffany, I found solace in the continent and it was just an amazing time. I went with my friend Sunny Houston, who's the co host at the View, my sister Angela Rye, my sister Licia Garz is the founder of Black Lives Matter, a collection of our our girl group uh When, and we just had an amazing time and got centered, and I came back and I got to work. I had show treatments. Angela also wanted to do a podcast together, so she and I and our brother Andrew Gillam launched one where we can talk about politics. But I honestly needed a break, you guys, Like, I was so tired upholding the white man's democracy and talking about this and I'm like, yeah, i all want to turn this bitch over to Trump, and I'm fucking tired of trying to talk you out of it. You know. I needed a place. I needed an outlet and across generations. Was really that. I'm so grateful to Will Black Women's Center, Will Success. He and I had known each other for some years, so he was familiar with my work, my show, me as a person, and we work really really well together. And it makes such a difference to work with someone where you don't have to defend and define your humanity every five seconds. Because on my show, I mean imagine the things I was talking about every week, there was a fight every week with the executives and it's like, no, do this Trump segment or do cover some bullshit minutia that happened on Capitol Hill. And we were the highest rated show on the weekend, So it was really weird. I'm like, go talk to some of these other shows that are doing fucked up ass ratings, like why are you staying in my show? And we far outperform everybody else, even Morning Joe. We're getting more ratings than your favorite ass white boy and you still fucking with my show. It was frustrating, and as a black person in that space, you can start to think, am.
Speaker 1: I fucking crazy?
Speaker 3: Like I don't understand what is happening. So I'm happy to be in partnership with Will and his incredible team. We work very well together, and so the show that I wanted to do, I like you all. I imagine. I used to sit at the table with my grandmother when I was real little, just a baby, and we used to sit in the kitchen table in the morning. She would be having her coffee and making you know, fishing grits and all that pimpshit and we would sit there and she I was so curious about her. I was being her soux chef, but I was curious, and I'd ask her questions and we'd have conversations about life and love and joy and grief and pain and happiness and how to harness some of these positives and how to navigate some of these negatives. And while I was being her sooux chef, she was teaching me about life. And she would let me get through three or four questions before she would just lose it on my ass. I was like, like, Grandma, why did you move to Chicago? How old was Uncle Charles when this happened? How'd you hit that car? And finally she'd say, okay, child, enough come of these onions, or you know, let me show you this maca cheese goose was like where you put in the oven? So but I miss her so much, and I lost her in twenty fourteen. And so when I look at the younger landscape of women, I think y'all got to need some gladys read in your life that was my grandmother, and young women reach out to me like I need a mentor and can we talk? And I'm like, you a full grown ass when you're twenty eight, Like I'm still trying to get my shit together. I don't know, but you know, when you talk to somebody twenty eight, it's like, yes, ma'am, I am almost pleasure age, and yes I do have wisdom because in my mind I'm twenty eight. But then when I'm confronted with somebody's They're like, novis you are not twenty eight when you are as middle aged woman. And so I wanted to I was like, how can I satisfy my own desire for nourishment from the oracle and stage that is black women while also sharing wisdom with younger women. And so just the magic that happens, you guys, when we come together, the three of us here right now, three black women. If you by even one person, even one person who don't look like us, our entire dynamic changes.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Mandy and Tiffany, I don't know y'all, but I know y'all. Y'all don't know me, but you know me immediately. I know who you are. Y'all know who I am. You know, and there's something there is no other group where that exists. I think it's something magical about black people. But Black womanhood is amazing. And so I'm sitting across from people who I don't know on set and we get so deep into our lives where we shed tears, we laugh hysterically, we finish each other's sentences. It's not Tiffany the journalist interviewing them. It is Tiffany the person engaging in deep, intimate, emotional conversation about life, love, grief, loss, loss of a child, loss of a husband, about sex, even even lighthearted topics. Somebody in their twenties has a very different attitude from somebody in there. Listen. So on that episode, we have an eighty five year old woman on that yeah, across from a twenty something, And let me tell you, the eighty five year old had the most exciting life of all of us. She taught me a new curse word, I'd be missus Teeny was her name, and Miss Teeny, miss Teenie is. We have celebrities on the show, but it's not celebrity driven, like miss Teenie is that old woman and the boogie down, you know, take care of people's kids. Community, right, the community. Honey. Miss Teenie was like, let me tell you about these men.
Speaker 2: I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: What that's just saying? These are the conversations I just had a conversation with sex workers. I mean, do you think about I think about that a lot. If you were doing sex work in your twenties, what is life like for you in your fifties or sixties or seventies, and so especially now because the way sex work has changed. And so you have someone we had Cinnamon Life who's in her fifties and she did it all, like from the corner to porn, to camming to all the things. Where then you had somebody younger, we have this woman is being nasty who was the only fan superstar and she's making like forty to fifty grand a month and nobody touches her. And so these two women across generations where the money looks different. And they told me some wild shit about racism and porn industry, crazy things. So we have a conversation about church. Y'all know, old people like you better go to turk and pray, and young people like we ain't messing with church said much like that. And so we have these two women, and the older woman happened to be the atheist, and we have v simone On who was deep in her walk in faith. So we I'm telling whatever y'all talk about, we talking about it. Whatever you talk about around with your grandmama, your mama's we talk about it. We talked about having complicated relationships with our mom and mama trauma. That was probably the most emotional episode. I got like three words in. I was like, guys, I talk about my mom all the time. It's fine. I'm ready to go. And I got three words in. I was like, I was the ugly cry of that show. So yeah, we run the gambit. We run the gambit, and we're building brick by brick. So podcasting is definitely different. But I'm used to like four point six, you know, billion viewers a month, and so sometimes the podcast numbers, I have to remember it's a slow process.
Speaker 2: You launched in a hell of a year because Apple's been effing with its algorithm.
Speaker 3: Yes, what is up with what they have y'all found in building and having your brown girl ambition? What has been the the keys to success for this pod and what has been some of the more challenging parts of building what you all would build.
Speaker 2: You're making me get emotional because I'm just looking at Tiffany, Like, Tiffany.
Speaker 3: I love how y'all met. Y'all met organically. I was like, let's do this.
Speaker 1: I so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like no expectations for like five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just showing up and just like I didn't realize I was.
Speaker 2: Twenty six, you know, no stakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also too, It's like.
Speaker 1: I think the vast majority of podcasts just were not consistent. Especially when we came out. People were like, oh, now I'm busy next week. But me and Mandy literally every week, whether we used to do it in person and then online, and even if we switched the day, we really have not missed like a week, or if we did, it was really intentional, like when Mandy had her baby and so like you know so, but there was always a podcast, and I think people just came to say, like, we know that Branna Bishen is going to be here, and so that helped a lot. And also too vulnerability, like you know, Mandy's my friend in real life, and so sometimes I'll forget because we'll be talking and then I'll see someone now and someone's like, oh, my gosh, you know, how was whatever? I'm like, how you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, doesn't you know? There is just this openness in this vulnerability plus too, I mean, it's been so long people have grown up with this. I mean they have seen marriage, they have seen that, they have seen babies wow. They have seen loss of job, they have seen starting up businesses. They have seen everything through with us because we discussed mental health issues, everything. And you know what, it's like your favorite TV show that's been my favorite one.
Speaker 2: I'm like yours. You don't know A Grey's Anatomy. Like these shows that have been around for seasons after season after season, they keep the emotional like there's a there's a love story at the heart of Brown Ambition, which is me and Tiffany, and I feel like we can bring in different guests, but at the heart of our podcast is the relationship between the two of us, and we're like the two characters that you want to root for. It's like seeing Doctor Weber and Miranda Bailey and Grey's Anatomy like the last two other than Ellen Pompeimo Pompeo, who's already left the last two like original cast members that I love to see them, and I think that's what it is. Tiff I don't know if I said that out loud before, but I think that connection, which in a chat show where you're interviewing guests, we don't do that all the time. A lot of the time it's just Tiffany and I. Sometimes we just prefer it. We're like, well, talk about but with you, and it just feels like we have a third co host.
Speaker 3: But I love it. Thank you guys, I think, yeah, I love your chemistry together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah you really like personalities, yeah, and you can. I think that makes a difference, like when people try to force you know, like it has to be organic and when people like try to bullshit people, you know, when you're not vulnerable, when you're putting only your best self, you know, like I can tell you guys, it's no filter, you know, it's like, no, this is what it is. Even how we started it was like I tell you about Africa firs. You know, like I just I love the whole is very organic. You get to get a peek into two girlfriends talking. That's what it feels like. That's what it really is.
Speaker 2: It's like if we like some value, yes, obviously take your gems. We get some gems.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes. I think that people really like that part where it's just like, oh, this is how me and my friend talk. It's like, yeah, friends, was there a turning point for you guys where it went from where we're building to oh, no, we're built, and now we're building bigger.
Speaker 2: Well, now we can cash checks that we like. Yeah, Oh gosh, I don't know, it's hard. I feel like you asked that. No one's ever it's it's it's cool to be seen as a success by you. I mean, I'm just like, you know, I think Tiffany and I are always wanting to do more, and I think we both feel like we're still on the cusp of the really blowing up, you know what I mean. But I don't know. Yeah, Tiffany, what what do you think? Has there been a turning point? You know what?
Speaker 1: It is that like Nandy and I have always just been committed to being like well because Mandy when she was an editor, it was just like we had other sources of income, so it was like, oh, if it makes money, great, But it wasn't like, oh my gosh, like so us to just organically kind of find our way. And so now that it is, you know, we're getting more and more serious, but it just for the first like, you know, five years, we really were just like, I mean, if it makes money, that's cool, but ultimately we're doing a thing that we enjoy doing because we're friends. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that luxury, Yes, I know, I know. I mean we have like investors, you know, will put money in. To be honest with you, guys, we treat across generations like a television show. Okay, so our audio drops every Tuesday and video drops every Wednesday, but like we build a set, you know, we are people come join us on set, and it's like a beautifully deck because Will and I are both visual people. We're TV people, you know, and film people, and so we're both you know, kind of novices at podcasting. And I what I found is there are people who are definitely podcasters, who like, I want to listen to this while I'm cleaning, while I'm doing whatever, but I'm building community through audio. And then there are people who are strictly like no, I want to see I want to you know, see who who's talking. I want to see what you're wearing. I want to see your facial expression, which helps on a show like this because you know, I can give you guys a look now that we will all know what it means, but if you're listening, you might not catch it.
Speaker 2: You know, well you got You're gonna be on YouTube, right.
Speaker 3: We're on YouTube because.
Speaker 2: YouTube has been great for us, and you know, Tiffany, we get so much engagement in our comments on YouTube too. Go over and read them because it is it's like, oh, I love your outfit, it's cute. Are they really? I think there are people who like to just turn on YouTube and maybe they will clean the house.
Speaker 3: So I think you've got next. Like I'm telling you, there is more people.
Speaker 2: You have been that girl TikTok took the shine, but I think YouTube is still that girl.
Speaker 3: But I even mean in terms of in terms of broadcast provider. You know, linear television is a dying beast. I think we all know that in cord cutting. This is in December, so I imagine the scales have tipped now. But in December, the same amount of people had cable as amount of people who didn't like The numbers were even this was in December and it was averaging something like one hundred thousand a month or something. So you imagine now that we're going into Q three twenty twenty four, for sure that number hits they like, not less and less. Few or fewer people have cable now and YouTube has now surpassed all other providers in terms of being an outlet for how people watch TV. I did that baffle by mind. I itches TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixty bucks a month, it's like having cable.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but also just like I get a lot of my stuff on YouTube because I can get directly to where I want, I can rewatch it, I can watch it.
Speaker 3: When you want your fingertips and transit on the fly any at any point.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so the SEO is important for YouTube, and like if your videos I would just say, like technically make sure their SEO is on point so that when people are searching, they can find your show and that'll pop up. And coming on a show like ours is so crucial, like doing a cross promotion to be doing a better job of that tip going on other shows that have a similar audience.
Speaker 1: And one of the number one manager you can do is to go another podcast because podcasts. People are podcast listeners, so I'm always on the hunt for a good podcast. So when I'm listening to a podcast I like, I'm like, oh, I like her, And that's usually how I find most podcasts. People find podcasts from other podcasts.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, and to this this didn't feel like work.
Speaker 1: Yes, well I'm going to have these two ladies, So finding other podcasts that you're like, oh, that's like my type of listener and being like, okay, let me see if I can go on and we can swap, because you know, people come fluct like I was on a Mel Robins show, which is not necessarily my podcast listener, but I got my website like Spiked, you know, because when you're on these shows and things like that, you know, then it just sends all this traffic to whatever it is that you're promoting or whatever it is that you're doing. But also too, I think to me, the number one thing I see just see overall brand building is building community around the brand, you know, like, where's there place where your community can discuss the show together? You know, like you know, like I know a lot of people have like Patreons. Do you guys have Patreon?
Speaker 2: No patres on the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have Patreon. It's about maybe like four thousand patrons and they pay like ten twenty bucks a month. But I teach business like mentorship.
Speaker 3: There what kind of business?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, what kind of business do I have?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: You said you teach business stuff? What kind of business?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm well, well no, just mentorship. So like, how do you start a business? How do you scale? How do you like? All the stuff that people ask me? Can you be my mentor?
Speaker 3: I'm like, yes, where were you in twenty sixteen when I'm starting to.
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And so like that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just but but like building community. One of my favorite, all time favorite communities. It's like such a sleeper. Is this brand called Girl Trek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not familiar Girl Trien, you know, so I.
Speaker 1: Love but if you Girl Trek is that they are? I mean, if I could swap communities with them? They are a powerhouse. A Girl Trek drops a T shirt expecting thirty seconds more T shirts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's every few years or so they fly to Colorado and have all these black women come and they do summer camp for black women. I'm talking about down to matching tube socks T shirts like grown forty thirty year old women like it is like this like release that you could be to get to be your little girl stuff, You get to jump, you get to double Dutch sound bath, some'mores. It's incredible And like I whenever I walk in my park, I mean I will see somebody with an electric blue Girl Trak t shirt on. I mean the Girl Trek community reps hard because they have they have done a really good job of taking community from offline to in person as well. And I think it is like to me, that's something I'm working on on the budget east side that that is it's like this. More and more people are not realizing that people are wanting true connection and Girl Trek helps to create and foster connection. So just considering that, like how can I like, can you do pop ups in person?
Speaker 3: Like where are some things you can do so your community?
Speaker 1: Because for when it comes to building great community, you have to remember that people come for you, but they stay for each other. So how do you create this stay for each other part? So how could they talk about cross connection? Like did you see Vincent? What about this?
Speaker 3: And do you have text Messa, I had that community, but Cross Connection I had that community. Like we there were diehards, you know, and the bulk of my audience was white, you know, like there were definitely people. When I left, I was off air for a year. I just needed that time to myself, to you know, to cook these projects that I wanted to do, but also to relax, to breed, to explore. The ground had just dropped from under me, so I needed to study myself and my finances together all those things. So Across Generations I do want to build. Well, no, you were right, because Cross Connection was my show. Across Generations is the new show in the podcast space. And so I've been looking at women like you guys, and what other black women are doing. And one thing I find interesting is that more Black women are become podcast listeners with the more black content content creators there are. And it just showed, like, I don't understand what people are resistant to it. It's like we we make dollars and we make sense. We hope, you know, bottom line. So I it's definitely been a journey, but I love your Both of you guys have a background in business and I can talk about anything. Had you guys said, hey, we're going to talk about whatever. I'm like, I'm game, let's do it. The one thing I cannot talk about with intelligence or expertise is like the markets, you know, like finance.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, markets, Okay, So.
Speaker 3: Mandy, I love when you're like I was in business and finance. I'm like, that is something and I try, like I, you know, have a subscription to the journal. I'll read the Financial Times. I mostly read the op ed pages in the journal. But even when I try to read like the business section, it's more like I'm looking for the personality and like the big business stories. When I try to read like something that is strictly on the economy, like you know, Paul Krugman column or something, you know, it's like I'm struggling a little bit, like I'm googling a lot. So I really admire and respect both you guys that you have a background, and I imagined that those transferable skills and now it's that helped build your platform as well. Well.
Speaker 2: Our focus is broad an ambitions career in finance, you know, and it was finance first, like I was at Yahoo Finance at the time. Tiffany with the budget needs to starting out, and I think the fact that we have a recurring theme, so you know you're coming here and you're gonna get It's unusual for us to spend a lot of time talking politics unless there's like a personal, finance or career connection at all.
Speaker 3: That political stuff means no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Because no no no no no no no, because that's relevant.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: We talk about pop culture touchdowns when they are like, okay, black people are rock and people are talking about this everywhere, no matter what your background is today which Diddy and Jasmine? What was it pop? Crockett?
Speaker 3: Crockett, Yeah, Crackett.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Those are two water cooler conversations, right, But.
Speaker 3: How is your audience though when you talk, like do you notice it dip in your numbers when you're talking politics, or like do people come here like we want to hear Your business is input and advice.
Speaker 2: The algorithm, Tiffany doesn't real look at the numbers like I do. I'm the numbers girl. Okay, but the consistency, you know, and what has caused so there has been anxiety among so many podcasts this year because of the Algo shift on Apple and how we most shows, especially older shows who have lots of a back catalog were hit and like it led to like a twenty to twenty five percent drop in downloads, which are crucial right now with our show. What I've noticed is, yes, there has been that drop, but the consistency has stayed the same. So like the number of once we sort of like evened out, and this algorithm shift happened last fall. I was super busy in the winter, but like in the spring checking out. I'm like, hey, we've like leveled out. We've we've leveled out. We're seeing our normal numbers. That has remained consistent. So I think our our audience is very loyal and all of the email and dms that we get to, if it's often, I've been listening for years, I've been listening for you know, since this, I went back and listened to all year old episodes and they you build that loyalty in that community. And I agree with what tiff said about, you know, with BA Fam, even just calling them BA Fam, it feels like in on it. You know, we could maybe do a little bit more on the community side, but both of us individually have strong communities which helps support. So Tiffany, you have your Dream Catchers, which is this huge community, and I started Mandy money Makers in twenty twenty one, which is my career coaching community. And I think together we are Captain Planet now are.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, she's in Newark. Yeah, I'm in Newark and I'm in the burbs of a New York.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so you're close so you see each other? Is my point?
Speaker 2: Not enough?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Now, I thought you'd mentioned like being in person. I love and maybe it's my journalis and background. I love when I see shows and it's all nicely produced and there's mics and stuff, and I'm like, Tiffany, let's go to Cumulus's our network's office in New York. Because she's like, girl, I'm not going to New York. Let's just keep if it ain't.
Speaker 3: Broken me a person. But I think I do think there's something about being in person. And since you guys have such a community, like are you doing live engagement? Are you going on the tour?
Speaker 1: You would love to do like engage that we want to honestly schedule Okay, lately it's been really like crazy our schedule.
Speaker 2: You need you need an event producer.
Speaker 3: That's why.
Speaker 1: No, but just even like, yeah, I mean last year was a little bit crazy just in general because it was a bad business here for so many people.
Speaker 2: I had a baby a year ago.
Speaker 3: It's a congratulation.
Speaker 2: Thanks, it's been a hell of a year. But live show. If we don't do a live show by our tenth anniversary, which is coming up in a year, we.
Speaker 3: Will do attend anniversary something you finance. Somebody will pay for that.
Speaker 2: I know if you listen to the show and you know, like a good event producer, like, we just need someone to put it on because no one doesn't have that kind of tall.
Speaker 3: We're doing my other pot that I host with Angela and Andrew. We're doing We're kicking off our live tour this week and I AMMI actually I'm going to this conference. You ladies will appreciate it. It's for like women in the C suite or CEO positions who want to join corporate boards. I don't have to tell you all the Black women representation and corporate boards is visimal. So but all the like executive search committees come. It's an amazing conference. And so it's a private conference, so we couldn't like tell everybody to come through and hear us, But all the women at that conference will be our live audience for our live Chickoff tour. And then we're also doing essence like we're going to be all over So I know somebody is my point and I'm happy to put you all in touch with the person and a live tour. Well, this is what Brown Brown and Ambition is about.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: Yes alone, Brown Girls helping Brown Ambitions.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being on the show. This was such amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, am I here working? Am I just on the zoom with these ladies catching up all life from originally well no, I.
Speaker 1: Was born in Newrth, New Jersey, but I was raised like all over New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Okay, because your accent is like I hear a New York accent and so yeah, yeah, and you it's a very deliberate way of speaking. And Mandy, you neither one of us I think have a Georgia accent. I can when I talk to if you start talking with accent, I'll slip into it.
Speaker 2: Because of your background on broadcast, you have to neutralize it. And my mom's from Wisconsin. And plus I moved to New York at twenty when I when I hear myself on video from like pre New York, pre twenty twenty, pre twenty ten, I'm like, oh my god, I sound like such a bumpkin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I got in New York. Oh my gosh, No, yeah, I think you do.
Speaker 1: Jersey. I hear Jersey Jersey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I don't know that there's between New York and Jersey.
Speaker 1: Say like very Jersey. I used to sound very very very suburban Jersey. Yeah, my name is Tiffany, and but then she just choose her name.
Speaker 2: We'll just leave it there to live it.
Speaker 1: In New for the last, like you know, ten years, Like this is this is the effect of that.
Speaker 2: You think a little bit too. I feel like Drell gave a little bit of edge.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I think what y'all are doing is amazing and fabulous and I'm so honored that y'all would share your platform with me, and I'm happy to share whatever contacts I have to help you guys, and I hope to connect with you in person one day and just congratulations on all your success. And as we grow, I will definitely reach back out for input and as I grow my own personal businesses, expect for me to stalk you all a little bit.
Speaker 2: DM email. Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 3: I want to at some point join the corporate board too, so I I definitely will be reaching out.
Speaker 2: So incredible.
Speaker 1: Are listening, Tiffany.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can follow me on Instagram at Tiffany d Cross on all the platforms that's my name at Tiffany d Cross, and you can follow Across Generations. We are Across Gen podcast on YouTube, please please please subscribe, and you can follow us on Instagram at across gen podcast or Across Generations one of them you'll find them. But if you follow me you can go see who I follow and get the right handle. But yeah, please share our content. Tell a friend, Tell people.
Speaker 2: Hello, I just started watching your podcast.
Speaker 3: Say it's so weird because I hear my voice in my head you guys, Yes, please, and I would love any thoughts ideas feedback. You guys have as two people successful in the space. But yes, please tell a friend, share a friend. We've actually launched what I would say some success.
Speaker 2: I mean, you already have ten k followers on YouTube. I think the bar is raised even for us. But I'm I would love to connect and just talk about your experience on the with with Packer's production team being behind it, you know, and like how that is how all that.
Speaker 3: Is coming and it's a big help. I mean, they keep telling me like, what are you We're successful, you know, in the top one percent, and you're crazy. I'm just I'm comparing it to television and I have to stop doing that. Yeah yeah, I'm like, what we don't even have a million viewers yet, you know, and they're like, girl, you better adjust.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but you'll have so much more of the podcast audience though, to me, like we are like dedicated, you know what I mean. I don't know. I never had my own show and MSNBC, but I just feel like the audience we just like, I don't know, we're very loyal, very dedicated, and we love love, love and coming back. And I think your show sounds incredible. I've already listened to a couple of episodes coming on and I can't wait to listen to more. Across everybody, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, d.
Speaker 3: Is in Dying Peace.
Speaker 1: Cross cross d you.
Speaker 2: Will not find me and then we enjoyed having you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you lady.
Speaker 2: Signs of Name
Speaker 1: MHM