Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final hour in this Tuesday Man. Callers were fired up earlier talking about which fan base would feel worse today, Notre Dame losing the National title game or Michigan the fact that Ohio State won the National title. A little snarky, but you've come to expect that. Age seven to seven, three DP show operators sitting by Tyler not doing anything else but petting my dog and waiting for phone calls. And we'll come up with the poll question for the final hour of the program. Rick Neuheiser, good buddy, former college coach, works for CBS Sports. He was at the National Title game and he will join us coming up. Let's see, got some openings here, probably going to be filled today. Maybe the Jets today with Aaron Glenn, the Raiders losing out on Ben Johnson to the Bears. Mike Brabel already ready to go Brabel the Raiders lost him as well. Well, So you got the Saints, Jets, Jags, Cowboys. Feels like Mike McCarthy's gonna get one of these two jobs with the Saints and the Jags. I don't know if Pete Carroll is going to get this job with the Raiders, but I've been reading that there's a little more momentum there with Pete Carroll. I think it'd be great. He's proven you can get a coordinator, and we've seen there are coordinators that who do make it, but then a lot of them do not. Pete Carroll's a proven commodity there. Mike McCarthy a proven commodity there. The Cowboys situation, Maybe they bring back Kellyan Moore, who's the offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles. Maybe Dion's still in the mix. But your guess is as good as mine with Dallas because it feels like it's Jerry Jones who's doing everything. And you know, usually get leaks, you know there's information exchanged, somebody will put something out there, but I haven't heard that muchch Aaron Glenn is supposed to be with the Jets today. Ben Johnson going to the Bears. They usually don't get the number one guy, but they got him. I think it's a great hire. I was looking at Caleb Williams' stats this past season, so is rookie season in case you're wondering. In two games against the Lions, Caleb Williams threw for five hundred and ninety yards, five touchdowns, no interceptions. He also rushed for another seventy three yards on ten carries. So he knows how to go against the Lions defense. And now you get Ben Johnson to help him kind of clean up footwork and try not to improvise as much. All he can do I think is progress. All you know, it's an upside there with Ben. But this isn't about just developing your quarterback. This is running a football team. That is the big difference here. By the way, I'm sure you're chiefed out. The Chiefs have gone eight consecutive games regular season in postseason without a turnover. That is the longest streak in NFL history. Stat of the Day, stat of the Day, That past stat of the day, stat of the day.
Speaker 3: Here comes that what stat of the name?
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Panini America, the official Trading Cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, Big ten Basketball is on NBC in Peacock. Next Sunday it'll be UCLA going to Maryland. Big ten Basketball in NBC Peacock. It's always game time. I did watch Golden State yesterday. Well, I don't know if I was really watching the Celtics more than I was Golden State. They got humbled, like embarrass one of the worst losses in the last forty years for Golden State at home, and you start to go, okay, get towards the trade deadline. Who can you bring in? You're an average team right now, five hundred? Can you how about this? Could you bring back Kevin Durant? What'd you bring back Kevin Durant? What would that mean if you brought him back? Can you trade?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Lebron said, Hey, we kind of have to do what we do and this is kind of who we are, and sounded like that means Lebron would be open for a trade, Like this is kind of who we are. If you're Lebron, you want to stay in LA I get it. Could you send him to Golden State? What would you get in return for him? What would it mean for Golden State? Like, if you're looking big picture here, Steph Curry winning another title, Lebron winning another title, what that would mean for them? So that's big picture stuff. And if I'm those two players, that's what I'm thinking about. They're already making their money. Now one more title, especially for Lebron he gets one more. Now you're truly knocking on the doors, you know, of Mike now get to be hard to argue that. But for Steph Curry, get to get one more as well? You know that makes him a top ten player of all time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, PAULI any chance, stop me if I'm completely off base. If you're the Warriors, would you consider, with his approval, trading Steph Curry while he has a decent amount left in the tank. With his approval, I'm sure he's got tons of veto power.
Speaker 2: I think that fan base would go bonkers.
Speaker 4: You're at five hundred. It's fair to say you're probably not winning a title this year next I think.
Speaker 2: They would be. Now, it's not like the Lakers with Kobe. Remember those last two years. They spent that money and they weren't any good, but it was it felt like to placate the fan base. Hey, come on out and see Kobe Bryant. It might be that way with this fan base, you know, come out and see Steph Draymond. Feels like when Steph goes, Steve Kerr goes. I mean, this is really the end of a dynasty there. But would I consider I wouldn't trade Steph Curry, but I would trade for somebody to come in with Steph Curry. Yes, yes, Marma.
Speaker 5: Going back to your Lebron and Steph playing on the same team thing that would not help Lebron's case against going against Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: True, because people don't look at Kevin Durant.
Speaker 5: Kevin Durant thought that they were going to show him the same love that Lebron got when he won those championships in Miami, and he said, why you're playing with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. So that would be the same thing as Lebron going over, especially going to Steph's team. That wouldn't be a good look for him legacy wise at all.
Speaker 2: Criticize me, but still give me a championship like I'd take it. Got like Ryan Day, Hey, I can't beat Michigan, but I won a national title. Go ahead and criticize me. Speaking of which, Rick new Heiel, former college coach, now works for CBS Sports. He was at the national title game. He joins us on the program. What did you expect before the start of this game?
Speaker 6: I expected exactly what the first half gave us, which was a Buckeye kind of one sided affair. I thought the Buckeye defense, which had been outstanding much of the season, even going back to the Michigan game, would have their way, and because Will Howard and this receiver crew had been unlocked during the playoffs, averaging over three hundred yards a game, I thought that would be too much for the largely playing man defense of Notre Daday.
Speaker 2: You know, when Marcus Freeman comes out to start the second half, he looks like a guy who is out in the water and there's a big wave coming just to take him under. What is that feeling like when you really you're holding on for dear life.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, he had to take some shots, and it just was amazing that Jaden Grayhouse had the same kind of second half he did Riley Leonard seventeen to twenty two in the second half over two hundred yards. I mean, where was that. They really hadn't needed that portion of their offense much of the season, and yet there it was when they summoned it, and you just kind of wonder. Great House, who had over one hundred yards receiving in both the last two games. That's amazing that he wasn't more utilized over the course of the year.
Speaker 2: How did Notre Dame make it interesting.
Speaker 6: With great House and Mitchell Evans and you know, guys rose to the occasion a couple of great two point plays. I mean, this was a well coached football team. They got everything out of this team all season long. Is a unique Notre Dame team because you don't remember Notre Dame teams with six year players and a bunch of transfers that that's not normal for Notre Dame. Who you know, days in the days of Lou Holtz and Dan Deviney, You've got four years to play and then you matriculated on this was They've grown into the college football scene how it's being played now, and I think they got everything out of this team. I think everybody left the stadium last night kind of happy with the way their team played.
Speaker 2: After Ohio State lost to Michigan, I wondered on that Monday, you know, without this twelve team playoff, would he have kept his job. And now obviously he's going to keep his job, but I wonder what this twelve team playoff does to the rivalry with Michigan moving forward that it used to be. If you lost that game, you lost any hope to win a national championship.
Speaker 6: You know, that rivalry is so ingrained in the culture of those two states that I don't think anything is going to go.
Speaker 2: Away in that rivalry.
Speaker 6: Michigan, you know, feels like, hey, we beat the national champs. We were the national champs. It's the first time DAN since the Big Ten one back to back national championship since I think sixty five and sixty six. That's an incredible thing for Tony Petiti for the Big Ten. But if you're asking, ohiose State fans and Mission fans, if that game's gonna go anyway closer to diminishing importance, No way, no chance.
Speaker 2: Talking to Rick new Heisel, he was there last night joining us from Atlanta the national title game. If I said you could have Jeremiah Smith or Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's a good one.
Speaker 6: I think Jeremiah Smith beats Travis Hunter if they play head to head. If you put Travis Hunter out there at the corner, just because even if Travis Hunter can stay with him, Jeremiah Smith sighs allowed him to make the play. It's he's a unique, unique athlete. I watched him walking around in the lobby at the hotel here and just that is a man in a very young body. That is, he's a tough He's a tough out. And listen, Notre Dame with that third down right there, had to play man. They had to come after him. That that was the down that gave them their only chance. And it wasn't an accident. That Will Howard went to number four.
Speaker 2: What happens in the off season with college football?
Speaker 6: Great question. I think that they're going to get closer and closer. I keep wanting for collective bargain, but when I asked the question to those who really can make things happen in college football, they say collectively bargain with who that they do the players really get benefit from assembling and unionizing and becoming an organization. All they're going to do is lose things in that regard rather than gain things. So I think we're going to get closer to contracts, you know, UH, some employment relationship with the UH, with the student athletes, and and I think hopefully we'll get there sooner than later so we can get our arms around it. We've got to solve getting to the finish line with both coaches and players. Intact, we've got to solve this transfer portal thing. This kid leaving from Wisconsin to Miami and saying I don't need to be in the portal a whole wrench into that conversation. And then we've got to make sure that, in my estimation, that we hang on to the entirety of Division One rather than try to keep bleaning towards this the super Conference that a lot of private money's trying to influence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's gonna happen, Rick, I just I think they it's money. They're just looking at it. All of this is money. That's why we went to twelve team, That's why we'll go to fourteen, and in probably you know, six or seven years, we'll go to sixteen teams.
Speaker 6: Well, the fact that all four teams were a by loss, we might go to sixteen sooner than later, given the fact it didn't look like an advantage. As the old man said to the young man, the answers money, Now, what was the question? You're exactly right on that super conference. I just would like everybody to look at themselves in the mirror and say is this what we had ended when we started college football, which was supposed to be about enhancing the education of young people. And if we actually eliminate scholarships because there are a number of programs that can't participate because we just say only these many are television darlings, what have we done? And I think if we borrow a little bit of the European soccer model, with some relegation and promotion, you can give the little guys some access, you can give the big guys some incentive, and you can create more television drama, which obviously resonates with the czars of television because college football right now is the number two television draw in America, NFL being one, college football being two, and you know the other professional leagues behind them and really not close. So I would argue that there's a way to preserve what we have in college football and most importantly, preserve all those scholarships.
Speaker 2: More likely to coach in the NFL Marcus Freeman or Ryan Day.
Speaker 6: Great question. I think my to right now is Ryan Day. But Marcus Freeman is a rock star. There's no getting around that he's a rock star. It was a marvelous job at Notre Dame. He's gonna look and keep pushing the envelope with Pete Pavak with a new ad and try to say how can we get more guys that look like those guys in the white last night.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you is always have a great offseason, Rick, Thanks for joining us DP. It's always a pleasure. Happy New Year, my brother. That's Rick Neuheisel. I'll let him get by with the Happy New Year. Normally I would have called him on it say no, no, we're well down the road. But always good to talk to Rick. All right, we'll get to more phone calls. Also coming up, the losing playoff team from this past weekend that's in the best shape moving forward. We'll discuss that after this and the Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 7: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: There was an interview with Reggie Bush in The Sporting Tribune and that came out yesterday. He revealed that he spoke to Sacramento State about their head coaching vacancy. They eventually hired Brennan Marion, but Reggie Bush said he had a strong desire to coach and his ultimate goal is to become the head coach at uscing. They reportedly were interested in Michael Vick, who eventually took the job at Norfolk State. But we're seeing a lot of these former players, Eddie George, you know obviously with what Dion was doing, ed Reid, so Michael Vick. Here's Reggie who Reggie I think is thirty eight thirty nine. Deshaun Jackson is a head coach historically black colleges in university. He's at Delaware State, I believe, correct. Ye. So you're starting to see this trend with coaches or former players and taking jobs that you know probably aren't as desirable as some of these other openings. You get an opportunity there, and then look at what Dion did. Now, once again, Dion is the anomaly. What he did at Jackson State then to go to Colorado. Dion is different than any of these other coaches because Dion is a brand and he is expounded upon that. He's expanded upon that that brand and what it means. New York Times had a big article on Deon this past Weekend about d On the brand. Yes, Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think he hosted SNL one time. That's how famous he was even as a player.
Speaker 2: But he still resonates with players now. When you see defensive backs when they make an interception and they start to run towards the end zone and then they you know, do the Dion dance as they go into the end zone. He still resonates with these younger, younger players, and I still think he's staying at Colorado, I think with a great recruiting class. But you can't rule out if Jerry says, hey, do you want to come in? Is Deon going to turn that down? I think Dion. I think Jerry wanted just to hear what Dion had to say about the job. I don't Dion his response was it sounded like he was saying, Hey, I'm really honored he wasn't offered the job, but he gave you that impression that he was turning down the Cowboys. And then when Edwarder, who covers the Cowboys, joined us, it was, hey, there's real interest here and if offered the job, Deon would take it, but so far hasn't been offered the job. Dylan in California. Hi, Dylan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey morning in dv Danes. Thanks for taking my call. Sure, Hey, I just had a little pull question actually for you boys. For the two NFC East teams that are currently not in a playoffs, which franchise do you think feels crappier the all in Cowboys or the Giants who decided on Danny dumpster Fire over Sakwon Barkley and didn't listen to the GM's son who thought Jayden Daniels might be a good idea.
Speaker 2: Which franchise is in the worst shape. The Cowboys are the Giants. I'd still look at the Giants right now. The Cowboys do have they have value, They mean something. I think players would still want to play for the Cowboys. It's a decent roster. I'd like to know who you're going to have as your head coach. But it's probably a little closer than you would expect between those two franchises. It's just you can't let you know, Washington's got draft picks and they've got money, and you got a quarterback on a rookie contract, like they're going to emphasize defense. Get you know they're going to get some players there and then that's when it really gets interesting. But you got the Eagles who are still in this window down super Bowl window. As long as Jalen Hurts continues to progress, stays healthy. I mean, they have all the pieces there. You can't lose Jalen Hurts. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 4: It does feel like the Cowboys are locked into their direction and can't get out of it. They have very little flexibility at the quarterback position, wide receiver position and soon to be the defensive end position and facing the commanders a couple times a year. And the Eagles, it doesn't feel like anything's happening to them in the next few years.
Speaker 2: Steven California, Hi, Steve, Hello.
Speaker 9: Yes, I was on hold.
Speaker 10: I was hearing above the Steve Garvey I want to before I get to my main point. Grew up in New England, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and I collected baseball cards in the seventies, and even though I didn't call the Dodgers and know much about the Dodgers, I knew about Steve Garvey. So that's kind of like one of those things in the Hall of Famer, just know worry about him was as a kid meant something I think, okay, may my main point on the NFL for a correction to help the defense a little bit with these running quarterbacks, who are you know, the defense afraid to tackle them or how much hard to hit them, and maybe the quarterback fake like he's going to go down or something like that. What if it was the correction rule where the quarterback is only going to run or get credit until the first down.
Speaker 2: Also after that no matter what happens, then no, No, I think they just have to call it correctly. I think they have to enforce, reinforce what the rule really is. And Mahomes is flaunting it absolutely and you know you're going to do it until you can't do it. I get it. But I still think the NFL in the off season really has to look at that rule of when is he defenseless, when is he down? What are you allowed to do? What if he's kind of going out of bounds but he's not going out of bounds. I just think they got to tighten that up because I think there are certainly quarterbacks like Mahomes who are taking full advantage of this. Craig and fort Wayne and then we'll play the losing playoff team. In the best shape moving forward.
Speaker 9: Hey Greig, all right, good morning, Dan, Dan asked, I appreciate your call. It's too cold in Indiana to go to school, so this is the only time I get to listen. My question. If you're Brian Day and you wake up this morning, are you relieved or justified in how you run your program? Thank you?
Speaker 2: I would say you're justified. The fan base wants you to beat Michigan. They, I think at that time, are thinking we're not going to win a national championship. Therefore it was the most important thing in the world to them. Today that fan base is like, all right, you know what, that was a terrible, terrible performance, but what we did in the postseason is really indicative of who we are. So I would say he has to feel justified. I think the relief was that you made the postseason, because if you don't have a twelve team playoff, you don't make the postseason, then it's different. For Ryan Day. Yes, I get the idea of a sense of relief for sure. I mean, you did it. You could check that off.
Speaker 11: It's never going to be a question anymore, you know, And I mean he's still young, you know, he's still got a ton of time to do great things. But man to be able to just check that one off, that must feel really great.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if he would, if he would say that was a relief, like he would admit something like that, like we won a national title. What a relief. I think he would say, I told you trust us, we have the ten you know. So I don't think he would, And he might feel both of those, but he's only going to want to tell you one of those, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: Isn't it natural to have a sense of relief if you're really good for a long time? So State, not next year, but the year after the Lions won the Super Bowl. If you're Dan Campbell, he's just going to be finally we did it. Isn't it natural to have a sense of relief, Yeah, you've been good for a long time.
Speaker 2: Well, the expectation level for the Lions was you're going to the super Bowl. You're probably gonna be favored to win the Super Bowl, all right, Steve Young when he joined us. When they won a super Bowl, there's a sense of relief because you're supposed to win. Ohio State was supposed to win last night, notre Dame is not going. Boy, what a relief. They would have been thrilled if they won that game. Ohio State, you're supposed to win, So there is a sense of relief there, all right. Losing playoff team in the best shape moving forward Lions, Texans, Ravens, Right, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 12: Not that you asked, but I numbered them from one to four. I went with Ravens one, but I went Texans over Lions. With Rams in last.
Speaker 2: Place, Okay, seet o' connor. The team that's in the best shape Lions, Texans, Ravens, Rams.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's tough to not say the Ravens, but if I was going to not say them, I might say the Texans actually, because it feels like there's the least amount of question marks heading into next season with that team. I haven't studied this, but it feels like the same exact team is going to basically be on the field next year. Maybe a little better, maybe you can add some pieces. With the other teams, there's a bunch of question marks about who's resigning. You just lost, You're gonna lose both coordinators, who else is going to be back?
Speaker 2: Those kinds of things rank, Marvin.
Speaker 5: I'm with these two. I'm going to Texans. Also, they're young, they're good, and they're in their badness vision.
Speaker 4: Okay, Paul Texans, tank Dell's back, digs his back, Will Anderson rookie contracts still in the division. It is hard to pick any AFC team, but maybe their youth mahomes will be bored of the sport in three or four years.
Speaker 2: I am going to go with the Lions. I think the Lions will get everybody back. They lost their coordinators, but I still think you have the core that's there. You've got all those offensive players, you got a best tackle in the sport, and got two good running backs Aiden Hutchinson coming back. They'll get new coaches, coaches that might get promoted within the organization. But if we're looking at bigger picture to win a Super Bowl, I'd say the Lions moving forward. Yes, Tom, but you shook.
Speaker 12: Off a twenty four to seven lead at halftime and then you come back and have a great season, win no playoff games this year. I just get this feeling that things may get a little sour before they get to the next level next year.
Speaker 2: All right, So what you're saying is the Lions will not make the playoffs next year.
Speaker 3: I do not say, oh.
Speaker 2: It sounded that way.
Speaker 3: They've they so I could be the one seed the next day. I don't see that next year.
Speaker 2: Okay, who goes further the Broncos of audience next year to.
Speaker 3: The Lion should.
Speaker 2: That's why they played the game. Thank you, Ton uh Don in Dover. Don in Dover, Yes.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Dan, and I've had a quick question. I want everyone's thoughts on Ben Johnson being hired by Chicago. He's coming from Detroit. They play indoors. He's going from Jared GoF to Caleb. The focus in Detroit I think is offensive line. You mentioned the best tackle, the two running backs.
Speaker 14: He's going to a.
Speaker 13: System where it's receivers and I don't know the running backs in Chicago. I don't know if Ben Johnson will be the right guy for the job.
Speaker 15: I just want to know what you guys think.
Speaker 2: Well, they normally don't win in the off season, and I think they won in the off season. I think getting Ben Johnson was a great hire for them. It's a different hire. They have to spend money, and this is you know, this was the number one candidate I think that arguably the number one candidate in the offseason for these openings, and the Bears got him, and he's going there for a reason, or he's not going to other teams for a reason. The Bears probably gave him the best opportunity, paid him the money he has to see Caleb Williams. Caleb Williams was really good against the Lions in the two games this year. Didn't have an interception through for almost six hundred yards. Maybe he's looking at him saying, I can clean all of that up and build off of that, But I don't know if he can run a football team. And that's what this comes down to. Pete Carroll can run a football team. If you said I could have Pete Carroll or I could have Ben Johnson, I would side with Pete Carroll. He's proven it. But I think we love that idea of, oh my god, this guy is the thinking different than anybody else.
Speaker 9: Does.
Speaker 2: He can come in, We're going to be exciting, Okay. Matt Nagy was supposed to be exciting and innovative, and he was learning from Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes, and that didn't go well because he couldn't run a football team. Robert Salah, great defensive coordinator, not a head coach. Probably going to get hired as a defensive coordinator, but he wasn't a head coach. That's the key. I don't know Ben Johnson's personality. I don't know how he is when he's talking to the media. I don't know if I've ever seen him interviewed. Those are things that you have to factor in, and that's kind of the X factor when it comes to a coach, potential coach. I mean, you have to be able to handle all of these things, and there are things you got to handle that you go I didn't know that was part of the job description. That's what I want to see. That's what I want to hear. Richie and Wisconsin. Hi, Richie, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 16: So my question is when you look at the Patriots and they're powerized or that they had from I don't know the two thousands to you know, twenty fifteen. I guess when you look at the Patriots and you look at the Chiefs, who would you think is hated more as more disdained for that team?
Speaker 2: Thank you at their peak the Patriots, because I think people thought they were cheating. The Chiefs haven't been accused of that over exposure, yes, But with the Patriots, it was somehow they were getting around rules, the tuck rule, spygag deflate gig, that they were doing something that was nefarious, and I think because of that, I think the national view of the Patriots was they're doing something that's illegal. The Chiefs. That goes along with success, that we see you and what can be a novelty now becomes a nuisance. You're like, oh my god, here we go again. And that's what comes along with greatness. You know, the Yankees were spectacular, you know they with Derek Jeter and company. But then after a while you're like, oh god, here's Jeets. You know, you get tired of that, You get tired of greatness. You want to nitpick at it. But I look at the Chiefs and say, I mean, this is really really rarefied air what they do in today's football landscape, to replace players, to trade players, to lose players. I mean, seven consecutive AFC title games. But I don't get I'm not chiefed out where I'm like, oh I don't want to watch this, or if they show Taylor Swift. I couldn't care less and it's not. It doesn't change my day. Caitlin Clark's in there. Blame the networks, don't blame them. Mahomes. Does he take advantage of the rules? Yes, playing the rule. So that's where I kind of I get it. When you're you know, it feels like this is this is offensive, This is gonna ruin my day. Oh I hate see. Oh they're gonna win. Oh my god, they can't go to the super Bowl again. That's gonna be the feeling. Oh my god. You know, it's like the uh San Antonio Spurs, like people didn't like him, but only because they were boring, Like there was nothing exciting. They just played unbelievable basketball. They were a dynasty. But it's like, oh my gosh, they're boring. No nice bang shot, Tim Duncan, Yes, Ton.
Speaker 12: If you're not a fan of any of the four remaining teams, do you want to see the Chiefs play for or win a third straight Super Bowl? If you don't have any of these teams, are not your favorite team? Is that like a great story? That would be so great to see them win three.
Speaker 2: It's a great story. But maybe we use that tomorrow on the show. I would say most people don't want to see that, but to have a three peat, sure, Yeah, Martin.
Speaker 5: In the eighties, was there fatigue of the Lakers, Celtics or the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that being that way. We wanted the Celtics and the Lakers. I don't think anybody was rooting for anything other than that, unless you're like the Houston Rockets or you know, the Pistons or somebody. But I think back then you knew that those are the two best teams, personalities, everything that stake, MVPs, Hall of Famers, all of that. I don't think we ever tired of that, Yeah, Pauly, and.
Speaker 4: I don't think we tired of it because there was no social media. Yeah, if you go back to Michael Jordan and the Bulls in the nineties, that was the most covered team in sports for probably a eight year run. And it felt like a rock band you never got sick of because we weren't beat to death with coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you didn't have all these shows, didn't have all the podcasts. You know, that's where everybody's starting to slice and dice. Analytics, enters, in the picture. But I don't think anybody went. I got Celtics Lakers. It was, oh my god, Celtics and Lakers. Even with Joe Montana in the forty nine er, I don't remember somebody going. Anybody but Montana. I don't know. Plus, who are you yelling at? The only thing you're yelling at. You go out in your yard and you yell at the I don't know that the clouds or something. It's not like you calling into shows or social media. But from what I remember, I don't think anybody got tired of them. Take a break, Last call for phone Calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Last Call for Phone Calls, What we learned, What's in store tomorrow? This day in sports history, all of that forthcoming. How about we go to this day in sports history. Let's get started with that Paul sure thing.
Speaker 4: Dan nineteen seventy nine. The Pittsburgh Steelers right on Q for our topic, beat the Cowboys thirty five thirty one in Super Bowl XIII, The Steelers became the first team to win three Super Bowls. Ninety five. John Stockton became the NBA's all time career assists leader nine and twenty two. Don Mattingly ninety seven unfortunately announced his retirement when the Yankees missed that run. Ninety seven Chicago Bulls Michael Jordan had fifty one against the New York Knicks. Another Michael Jordan with the Wizards in O two, played his first game in Chicago as a visiting player, and this is a good one. Twenty ten, Kobe Bryant of the Lakers became the fifteenth player in NBA history to hit twenty five thousand career points, youngest ever to do it, thirty five days faster than Wilt Chamberlain.
Speaker 2: Huh okay, but Wilt was probably twenty two when he got to the NBA. I'm guessing because he was he was in college. I think he played for the Globe Trotters as well, so he might have been about four years older than Kobe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, that's about right. He was twenty two turning twenty three. Wilt Chamberlain in nineteen fifty nine when he started in the NBA.
Speaker 2: On this date in nineteen ninety. This is this player became the first to be kicked out of the Australian Open nineteen ninety This player the first to be expelled from the Australian Open.
Speaker 4: Paul that mattz Vielander was always troubled.
Speaker 2: It wasn't motz Velander. Motzvelander, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 12: Jim Currier took a tone with one of these.
Speaker 2: No, Jim Currier, nice guy, very nice guy, very nice guy. John mcenroeh, John McEnroe thought he's retired by the nineteen ninety Was he announcing he got can't down? I mean, who knows? With mac? Nineteen ninety nine, the Warriors traded Latrelle Spreewell. He hadn't played in fourteen months since choking his coach PJ. Carlissimo. He was traded to the Knicks for John Starks, Chris Mills and Terry Cummings. Nicks went to the NBA Finals. Uh. I think that's it all right?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: Chris in La, Hi, Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Good morning?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 15: I just wanted to comment on the uh catch my homes kind of taking advantage of the sliding rule. You know what if they did like the fair catch rule where you have to be discernible where you can't be in between either have to make it clearly known that you're fair catching or not, because I think the players will kind of police themselves. If quarterbacks did not clearly make it as if they're sliding or going out of bounds, and the league kind of eased up on the personal fouls, then I think the quarterbacks getting hit when they weren't clearly going out of bounds or sliding would make them, you know, change the way they do things. So I think maybe they, you know, ease up on the personal foul calls, let them kind of see what it's like if you don't make it clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, Chris that can you just announce you're giving yourself up? And I don't know who we had on at the time, and they're like, it might have been Mike Golick, and it was like okay, but still, when you're running, imagine you're running and you get ready to put your hand up and then somebody knocks the ball away and now we're going to be well, wait a minute, did he give himself up. Is that a fumble? You know, the competition Committee's got this is difficult because they go out of their way to make sure they're protecting the quarterback, and you want to do that. I just want to make sure the quarterback is going to protect himself and he doesn't need the official to protect him. And it feels like the officials are the ones protecting the quarterbacks. The quarterbacks aren't necessarily protecting themselves. Yes, Tom, will we ever call flopping of some sort? Mahomes didn't want to.
Speaker 12: You get a little nudge out of bounce and then you go flying to try to get that, you know, at late penalty for the late hit. You know, you see that from time to time and they rarely call it.
Speaker 2: Is there a flag? Is there a penalty for flopping?
Speaker 12: I'd have to check with the league, but there certainly should be because it happens a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, there's an NFL rule for unsportsmanlike conduct. It doesn't have any language about flopping. Akeman brought it up and said that could be unsportsmanlike conduct under the gray area of that rule.
Speaker 2: Chuck in Queens, I chuck, what's on your mind? Hey?
Speaker 14: Dan Dennett's by six a Roly two twenty six. I am calling to just give Rick Fattino his kudos. He's done a wonderful job with Saint John's. We can score, we can pass in, our defense is excellent. And I have a pie in the safe bet for Marvin.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I mean, you come against Saint.
Speaker 14: Johnes on February seventh and eight pm on Friday night under the lights, and I believe that game is that I miss Sea or it could be at the Excel Center.
Speaker 10: I'm not sure they're.
Speaker 2: Always under the lights. Just letting you know, Chuck, when we playing basketball, it's rare when it's dark.
Speaker 14: But okay, my question for Marvin though, was actually a serious one. It's not slighting his team. I expected Yukon.
Speaker 9: To be a lot better than they are.
Speaker 2: Wait, what's the beat, what's the bet? It's just straight up Saint John's against Yukon.
Speaker 14: Saint John's rus yukon February seventh at eight pm on Fox.
Speaker 3: All right, PI to the face, easy, I'm taking it, Okay, now, question okay, all right?
Speaker 5: Have them actually talked to me like late March early April. Wow, scoreboard, Chris Mallin's not walking through that door.
Speaker 2: Whoa yes, Todd, who winds up?
Speaker 3: They playing the dark and there are no lights. That's the real question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's this big build up MSG under the lights. You might be working that, Dame, Marvin.
Speaker 3: No, No, we're down in New Orleans. Oh we will be yep. That's our final show is for Friday February. Oh okay, we'll be with post Malone or whoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, post Malone. He was good. He was That was a good show.
Speaker 3: You didn't like all the profanity I did.
Speaker 2: He dropped an F bomb every four words. I'm like, we don't need to We're better than that F bomb. Speaking of which, Fritzy.
Speaker 12: I learned that Christopher mad Dog Russo says the Chiefs get every call note to man and wants to know how is Kaitlin Clark suddenly a huge k C fan?
Speaker 3: Gee whizzed, Danny.
Speaker 2: Uh Seaton, What did you learn, christ Russo? He's sick of stuff? Paul, what did you learn? We love Russo's hair. Marvin chiefed out. Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.