Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: What a wonderful Monday morning here at Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, California.
Speaker 4: Sixty three degrees.
Speaker 3: The sun is shining, and just like death and Taxes, the zamboni's out working this morning as usual.
Speaker 4: As we get ready here to start mix shots.
Speaker 3: Nate Newton's, Savannah Humoler, Mickey Spagnola with you as always at eight am here in the Pacific Coast.
Speaker 4: I'm and I was.
Speaker 3: We got a lot to talk about after that first preseason game yesterday afternoon with the Rams in La and hopefully everybody survived the weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm man, that's Rocket Roll baby.
Speaker 4: There's much to discuss today.
Speaker 5: Yes, survive the weekend?
Speaker 3: Much to discuss, Yes, absolutely, so we're gonna get right at it. Cowboys lose their first preseason game thirteen to twelve, the Rams scoring the only touchdown of the game with four seconds to go, as the Cowboys had been leading twelve to six and it looked like they had it wrapped up, and then they gave up a seventy yard drive for a touchdown after only after having held the Rams to just like two hundred and thirty six yards and then gave up seventy. So we're gonna get impressions here of what everybody thought of the game. And again I'm gonna start off with saying the way Mike McCarthy coached the game, his priority was to get as many snaps as he could for his young team.
Speaker 4: If he was.
Speaker 3: Trying to win the game, he probably wouldn't have gone for five fourth downs. They only made two of them, and a couple times, well three times, he could have kicked a field goal if he wanted to. I don't think he thought that was important. The Cowboys sat twenty five veteran mostly starters. They didn't play the Rams didn't play their first line guys either, But he got a heck of a lot of snaps for his young team, seventy by the way, and I think that was And if you noticed how he was calling plays on offense, they were almost felt like they were in a hurry up offense because they were getting in and out of the huddle really fast. So they could run a bunch of plays. So you know, my impression was defense did a nice job until the last drive. Offense moved the ball, they just didn't score touchdowns. And Brandon Aubrey was good as always. Shame on him for missing from sixty five yards, but hit four other field goals. And we'll discuss Trey Lance here at length.
Speaker 4: So Nate, what were your thoughts.
Speaker 2: I just like what the guys did.
Speaker 6: They did a lot of good things individually, you know, offense line, you know, they got to work on the games.
Speaker 2: That's natural this early in the preseason.
Speaker 6: Guys was doing some good things technique. We saw a series He's of guiding and which was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Once again, got to work on technique. I like what the defense did.
Speaker 6: I looked at you know, I had certain guys that I was looking to grade heavily because these are core guys I think will beat future core guys. I like how Mazy started the game, hands popping, doing what he had to do. I like how Marshawn Neveland did what he had to do. So just guys that I felt like had to start the game strong. My man, oh seventy six, I can't think of his name. Richards, two different centers, three different guards.
Speaker 2: I think he played well.
Speaker 6: I mean, now, the games were a little bit funky there every now and then, but I think just as a whole, he played pretty well. He was pretty consistent what he was doing. Number ninety showed up late, but he showed up late. About ninety four of the rams he showed up during the game. But that was called all because of games being on different levels. And when you got two different guard, i mean, two different centers, three different tackles, you're gonna have mix up. So that didn't shake me at all either in the last drive of the game. Don't matter to me. I'm just a going I am looking at individual players. I learned a valuable lesson. Coach Johnson came in and I think we went three and one in the preseason then, and we thought we were hot. Oh we thought we feed the light of the league. The first game we almost we got beat so bad too. It took us like eight games to recover because that was what one in seven. So that'll let you know if you worried about a preseason game, get a life, Savannah.
Speaker 5: You know, my eyes were on the defense a lot of the time, and I think that goes to show. I mean, four interceptions yesterday was a really big day for the defense, but that was the first day that we're seeing the implementation of Mike Zimmer's scheme. And I also read earlier today that he wasn't even necessarily using his call sheet that much, like he was call and plays based off of the live action, and that's just how you know, like you know, twenty years he comes back to the Cowboys and he just has that old school mentality on defense. But I liked seeing some of these younger guys on defense. Marquise Bell, he had so much more ability to have free play and that moved He's in the position he's supposed to be playing in, So that's that's a benefit for us there. Demarbian Overshown, Are you kidding me? He came out right out of the gate, just ready to go, and you could see, even since we didn't have him last season, just how excited he was to be out there.
Speaker 7: He got his nerves out.
Speaker 5: But he came in hot. I love seeing that. And then Julius Wood he had an interception. I saw him do it two days ago in practice, and just I like seeing that consistency. As far as he's doing it out here, he's doing it live in the game. So those younger guys stepping up on defense, I really love seeing that.
Speaker 3: You know, speaking of Wood, the safeties are really they've got pretty much depth at safety if you think about behind the starters of Donovan Wilson and Malie Cooker Bell and Janie Thomas, good players, and then some of these young guys are stepping up. So you know, they all can't make the team, but it might be a pretty talented practice squad. Having said that, so let's get right to Trey Lance. I want to give you let you guys give your impressions on it. I was at the game. I saw a lot, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought. And I know you had to watch it on television. So Nate, I'll let you start first, right, I will.
Speaker 6: Pass it with will of fortune. Missivanna, you go first. They want to throw it on me and press it on, I'll go first.
Speaker 5: I'm going to tag team. What you said the other day on the show about Trey Lance. You said just a couple of days ago that you think that he needs another year development time, And I'm kind of behind you with this and with Trey Lance yesterday. I think he did a decent job, but I think that was his first game where we're really getting to see maybe what he can do. He didn't look too comfortable. If you ask me, I do like his ability to scramble. He led yesterday in rushing yards forty four yards on six carries. I like him scrambling. He was good in that area. But I think when it comes to completing some of those passes and gaining that confidence, that's something he's going to have to work on. I also think he needs to probably tune out the noise going into this game on Saturday. Don't worry about what everyone else is saying right now, focus on the game, Focus with coach, get with Dak, really know what you're going into. I think that's what his focus needs to be for some cause he has a lot to showcase.
Speaker 6: If you ask me, you know, I just believe this right here. I think what you saw this game, you'll see.
Speaker 2: A better better next game because the coach, you understand what he needs to do, and he will understand a little bit better what he needs to do.
Speaker 6: He should get out early, doing before practice and maybe out of practice and throw a few balls. Just go out and believe it or not. Get the receivers, and don't try to think about it. Just throw the ball. Just throw the ball. You got natural talent, you know, but he spends a lot of time thinking, you know, trying to make it perfect.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it, man, Just get out here with these guys. Just throw the ball.
Speaker 6: Just like when you was a little kid, you got out in the street and just throw the ball. Get out there and just throw the ball. I'm not gonna judge this kid about this game or maybe even the next game, because I truly believe.
Speaker 2: In my heart that if given the time, given the right and proper instructions of what we do within this offense, he'll be all right.
Speaker 6: Will he be ready to take Cooper's job? Not right now, But let's see about the third game. Do we have the same feelings for this kid that you may have had gonna coming into this game and may have had leaving out his game.
Speaker 2: I'm just.
Speaker 6: I've never been in his shoes, and I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.
Speaker 2: Not to be a first round pick, third player pick.
Speaker 6: He gave up eight hundred draft picks for this kid, and to throw them away within two years, that's a blow. And I'm not gonna keep riding on that. That's just how I feel, and that's the way it.
Speaker 4: Is for me, So let's point this out.
Speaker 3: He ended up completing twenty five or forty one passes for one hundred and eighty eight yards. He had six runs for forty four yards. I thought what we saw in the game was what we saw out here in practice.
Speaker 4: Yes, he would do a few.
Speaker 3: Things and you're going huh, And then he'd do a few things and you're going, Okay, there's something there. And that's kind of what the game was like. He had four drives of at least ten plays, so they were moving the ball. They just didn't score touchdowns when he missed. And this is what we saw out here. His passes were high. There was a couple of completions that were high that some of the young receivers made nice catches. But let's remember who he was playing with. Also, as Nate pointed out about the offensive line, they were mixing and matching. They had to play Geiton. Now, he only played a couple series. He was on a pitch count. Tuma Dogas suffers a big toe injury. He's walking around with a boot.
Speaker 4: Afterwards.
Speaker 3: We'll see what the MRI does with him. He was one of the few veteran guys that actually played in the game.
Speaker 4: And then it was a mixture.
Speaker 3: Of awesome Richard Earl Bostik. They changed the center, they changed they started TJ Bass at right guard. Uh So it was a mixed match in there. And he was playing with all the young receivers. He did not play with Jayalen Tobert, he did not play with Brandon Cooks, so that factors in. But again, there was some good things and then there's things that.
Speaker 4: They needed to be able to work on.
Speaker 3: As Mike McCarthy said, he's making good progress. They're definitely wired the right way. He's a great athlete. We just have a lot of work to do.
Speaker 2: This is the bottom line. Everybody has a miss mi Mitch, what's the word. I'm gonna a mixture.
Speaker 6: Of players right in the preseason, Trey Lance would be all right, well, you know, we don't have to make not one excuse. This kid will either come up, come up out of this spanning like Roses, or he'll be buried six feet under I'm betting on the kid. If we could just not have any pressure for him this year, let him get into next year.
Speaker 2: We don't have to make no excuses, and if next year don't bring what we need, then you don't have to keep him. That's just the bottom line. Trey Lance is going through what every quarterback is going through. That' say, backup, you're gonna have eighteen different players, eighteen different wie receive was seventeen different offensive linemen. That's the nature of the beast.
Speaker 6: But somehow, some way, we just gotta find a way to get him comfortable to see if he can really play.
Speaker 2: That's the bottom line.
Speaker 3: And the game's gotta slow down for him. If you remember, this is his first game of anything that he played in since August nineteenth of twenty twenty three, so from the time he got with the Cowboys didn't play in any games. He hasn't played in a real game, meaning a regular season game, since September eighteenth of twenty twenty two. So, as Nate knows, and I'm sure Savannah realizes it, it takes time when you haven't been in the pocket to slow the game down. It's like, you know, Manhattan cong traffic, congesting when you're trying to decipher what's going on in a couple seconds. So I thought a few times he didn't pull the trigger quick enough. A few times he stared down his receivers. But other than that, if you look at some of the drives, that his final drive, when they drove down field, he was hitting his back foot and the ball was coming out. He had four consecutive completions during that drive, and I thought he did a really good job. And it was like, Okay, I'm seeing it. I'm seeing it, and it takes time. He didn't play but seventeen games in college.
Speaker 2: You know it's okay. I was.
Speaker 3: If I was his guy, I would have said, you need another year in college. He didn't play that much in high school. And afterwards when I asked him, he was walking off and I said, when's the last time you threw forty one passes in a game? And he goes, oh, that's gotta been a while. Well, I went back and looked it up. He didn't do it with San Francisco regular season, preseason, and he didn't do it in college that I checked out all the games he played, so forty one passes that was a new thing for him.
Speaker 5: So also, I mean first half he was eight for seventeen on completions. He came back better in the second half. He was seventeen for twenty four, right, And so you definitely you see that he progressed a little bit towards the second half. But like I said, he needs to tune out the noise. We still have a game on Saturday. He needs to show up for that, and I think when he gets a little bit more comfortable, we're gonna see some more progression from it.
Speaker 3: And I think there's other things they can do with them, Nate, but Mike wanted to and Jerry Jones said it in the pregame show. They wanted to see him in the pocket, and so that was kind of the plays they called. McCarthy wanted the fourth and one at the three that call back. He didn't like his call on that. That one of the fourth downs that they didn't pick up. They could have kicked a field goal, right, But it wasn't about kicking field goals. Brandon Aarbury did a nice job with four of them missed from sixty five, which is another indication that he wasn't playing the game to win. He was playing the game to give guys opportunities to make.
Speaker 4: Plays, and so I haven't even looked. I'm sure people.
Speaker 3: Were hard on Trey Lance, but I thought he handled himself well, got in and out of the huddle well, and seemed like he was somewhat under control. Let's see the next game after being able to play the number of snaps he did, because they had seventy offensive snaps and Cooper Rush only played six of them.
Speaker 4: So he got a lot.
Speaker 3: The objective, the priority in this game was to give him work, and he got work.
Speaker 5: Can we, real quick just give some credit to Cooper Rush on that incredible pass to Jalen Brooks yesterday. He I mean he came out, you know that first drive and Cooper Rush. It was like we've seen Cooper Rush do this time and time again. Love seeing him do that. And then that was a great catch by Jalen Brooks as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, he liked it, right. I love preseason for what it's worth and what it's supposed to be. Yeah, and I tail fans all the time. When you listening to I wish you wouldn't even gave the score.
Speaker 6: I just wish you would have went right into the show talking about these kids because it don't matter to me. And another thing really don't matter to me is about Trey Lance.
Speaker 2: That's when you set me. I'm gonna say what I say and then I'm done with it.
Speaker 6: Give this kid a true opportunity before we judge him. When you listen to these bobbling heads everybody over here with their big time opinion, and.
Speaker 2: I don't use this a lot.
Speaker 6: They don't know how to gather information, and half of them don't know what they're looking at. So when you hear from these people that want to give you all these opinions, you know, so you can go out on your broke down podcast to give your opinion, you don't know what you're looking at. Give this kid opportunity. And once once we get through this year, if he makes the team again, which he should, then next year you'll.
Speaker 2: That's when that's when you can be critical. Right now, just straight and play.
Speaker 3: And there's a mixed shot there for you from Nate Newton as we'll continue here on mix shots on dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling.
Speaker 7: What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling. That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 8: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Millrolta is in fact less filling and taste great.
Speaker 9: I'm vishine legal guy, celebrate responsibly. Milwalkkee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams cars for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 10: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: As a snap of the press scout who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slaft. He'll love full pers down.
Speaker 11: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 10: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle and e score.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 11: Get started at blockchain dot com to Mick.
Speaker 5: Shuts Cowboys Nation twenty twenty four. Dallas Cowboys Training Camp presented by American Airlines is here. Had to Sunny Oxnard, California, from July twenty fifth through August twenty first to watch the team practice. Admission is free. More information visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Training Camp.
Speaker 3: And I think we were reminded before the game started why you should watch Countdown to Kickoff because Jerry Jones was our guest and he sort of explained himself a little bit about last week's what he said about it's not urgent that they get CD Lambs signed before the first preseason game when he was asked that question, and he gave it a really, I thought good answer. First of all, as he pointed out, CD wouldn't have played in the preseason game, so that didn't put any pressure on him to get him signed immediately. He pointed out that, and he looked in the camera and said, CD, You're missed. So it's not like they were dissing him when he said it wasn't urgent that they get him signed. But I think the point he wanted to make I've been saying it. I don't think anybody listens. He's under contract. He has signed. He has a one year, seventeen point ninety nine million dollar guaranteed contract for this season. So the Cowboys know that that's sort of their little negotiating nut, right because I don't know about you, Nate, but there's not many players out there that'll give up one million dollars a week to hold out during the regular season. So Jerry just was trying to clarify that on the on Our Countdown to Kickoff pregame show, on the fact that he is under contract. So it's not like they're trying to you know, they're trying to negotiate an extension, but he is under contract. So that's why he mentioned the urgency thing. I don't know what you guys thought of that when he said it, but it's sure created a stir.
Speaker 6: In this world of let me break down the next man or the next girl.
Speaker 2: That's what that was expected. Missus Jones a mastermind.
Speaker 6: He knew when he said it it will bring on a firestorm.
Speaker 2: And uh, Emmitt, remember Emmitt Smith. Yes, you know it took Charles Haley.
Speaker 6: Throwing a helmet through the wall, and I mean it is it has always he's been at last minute.
Speaker 2: How can I be the You know Missus Jones to do it when he's ready. Him and CD and his people will come together and they'll get it done when they're ready.
Speaker 6: If our fans by now haven't learned that, if Missus Jones won't a player, he will put him in here. If you haven't learned that by now, I mean you're not a Dallas Cowboy fan.
Speaker 4: Do you ever have any teammates holding out?
Speaker 2: It is so funny.
Speaker 6: I mean, when him and coach McCarthy and his son Stephen was up on opening camp, he told, I've done this before, I've been here, and for us to continue to beat that horse and the beat, I mean.
Speaker 2: Come on, man.
Speaker 4: EMMITTT.
Speaker 3: Smith missed training camp twice as a rookie. He showed up the Tuesday before the season started. In ninety three, he missed two games holding out for a new contract because he wasn't under contract. Michael Irvin one year signed his contract the week of the game. He held out the entire training camp looking for a new deal.
Speaker 2: They have seen this before. It is amazing to me.
Speaker 6: And like I said, today's world of let me be first, let me throw up a big shadow out out so I can get everybody stirred up. Cowboy fans should be like, man, I'm going to bed. I'm not even gonna stay up late for this.
Speaker 3: You already to give you a good analogy. You remember Frank luxA, Yes, work with us at the Dallas Times Herald a long time covering the.
Speaker 4: Cowboys since back in the sixties.
Speaker 3: So he saw all the holdouts, right, Randy White was out fishing one of the summer, missed almost all of training camp, on and on and on.
Speaker 4: So Frank came up with this analogy.
Speaker 3: He goes, you know how you see when somebody's cat gets up in a tree and everybody gets all worried. It's like, oh, how are we gonna get the cat down. We're gonna call the fire department. We got to get the cat down. And he said, but do you know what, have you ever had to go up in a tree and find a dead cat? At some point the cat comes down, and it's just like players that they're not gonna miss a paycheck.
Speaker 2: It's not a serious paycheck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you ever hold out?
Speaker 2: Who me? I never had a serious paycheck? Wait?
Speaker 5: Wait, wait, back to I want to hear the Charles Haley throwing his helmet through the wall.
Speaker 6: Okay, it was our second game, second and it was a kid we had from Alabama who they were like, we'll ride with this kid.
Speaker 2: I can't think of the boy name that was.
Speaker 6: And we came down to the end of the game and they tried to get his kid the ball and nothing was happening. Charles came in rapped before Missus Jones walked through the door. But they help me, just goes through this wall bow at Texas Stadium. We need him and Smith what oh he was? Oh man, he went into a rage and uh but that same week was it that same week.
Speaker 2: Or the next week? It was in in.
Speaker 6: Camp and everybody want to say Charles did it, But Missus Jones saw if I'm gonna have a winning season the way I should, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Have to get this kid in here, Derek Derek, and he was. He wasn't the fault of losing those No.
Speaker 2: I just what what what makes me laugh is how the same thing every year can get out. We would have a hold out next year now where it.
Speaker 6: Be the beast of a CD lamb whatever, Yeah, and he we'll be sitting here again with a possibly having a good show talking about it should be talking about the young guys that are trying to make this team, and we talking about a guy that not only gonna get a forty five percent raise, but he's at home luxury laughing.
Speaker 2: And we s end up a wasting this all this value of time.
Speaker 5: It's because everyone these days wants some type of instant gratification.
Speaker 4: Yes, but mister.
Speaker 5: Jones is not prepared to have that happen until he's ready to get this deal done with CD. They will take their time on it. We kind of all expected CD not to be here this camp, and like you said, it does give these younger guys opportunities.
Speaker 6: And that's what Because you just gave what Cooper a big to do about throwing a nice pass to receive. That's what we should be seen about. The Trey Lances of the world. The guidance of the series that he had. He looked pretty good. That's what I want to talk about. That's what and that's what this training camp is all about. Actually, guy that would blore, he's gonna be consistent, he's gonna blow every day that mix.
Speaker 5: On their but it is good Jerry addressed some stuff yesterday with you and clarified that.
Speaker 3: So, and here's the thing about Jerry, he doesn't back away from discussing those things, right, He's basically, yeah, sure, we can talk about that. And he almost relished the opportunity because to speak about it.
Speaker 2: He know, he said, Okay, let me go out here. How can I put this way?
Speaker 6: The world can focus on me, you know, and focus on my cowboys. Okay, I'm not in a hurry. Oh that sounds good. I'm gonna throw that out there.
Speaker 3: So, uh, to reiterate what we were talking about some of the young players. They need these guys this year. That's all this team is gonna get better. They need demarve and overshown to one right. Yeah, and and remember he's coming back from an ACL so they're bringing these guys back slowly. They're still ramping him up. That's the first game he's played in since he was at Texas. If you think about it, he got hurt early in training camp, never played in a preseason game, so they're trying to ramp him up. The same thing with Tyler Geiton. He missed three practices last week with a chess cold and and I would. I wasn't even sure if he was going to play, But on their walk through practice on Friday, I saw him kind of working with the first team, so they it was an easy workout.
Speaker 4: They were trying to ramp him.
Speaker 3: Up to get ready to play if, if indeed he got cleared to play. He got in a couple series, so that was a good thing. I think you saw when Savannah brought up Marquise Bell nine tackles in the game. But there's a guy that played a lot of football last year.
Speaker 4: Yes, so he got out there.
Speaker 2: At a different positions position did well.
Speaker 3: And he did well. Jane Thomas the same thing. They need these young guys to step up. They need Marshawn Neeland to be a player at defensive end. He got a bunch of snaps if you just look at the draft choices. Maris Leophile got a whole bunch of snaps. Yea. And the guy that I kept bringing up, Willie Harvey from the UFL. He got in there at middle linebacker and made plays. And I thought they cheated him on the sheet here on tackles, they had gave him three, but he should have had a couple more. Assisted tackles in that game, so they got a chance to see him. They need to develop these guys if they're gonna go somewhere. Kaylin Carson got a lot of snaps in the game, their fifth round draft choice at cornerback, and you know, and he is showing up here in practice.
Speaker 4: So this is his first game in the NFL. I thought he did some nice thing.
Speaker 3: He got beat a few times, but didn't give up anything of note. And I thought it was funny last week when Dak Prescott was asked about him.
Speaker 4: They asked Dak.
Speaker 3: About his impressions, you know, having to play against Kitln Carson, and I don't know if Dak didn't hear the question. He goes who, and they said Kayln Carson. He goes, oh, you're talking about seat belt Carson. That's how Dak knows him. That's his nickname because he will lock wide receivers down. So he got a lot of snaps. So yeah, all these young guys, that's what they need because if this team's going to improve, and they said it from the beginning, it's going to come from within with first and second year guys stepping up.
Speaker 5: Speaking of one, Eric Scott, yes, that was somebody who I wanted to mention as well. His interception yesterday was a big one, but that was probably the most I've seen from him during this camp period of time. You know, even out here at practice, he hadn't seen much from him. So it was good to see him actually make a big play like that because he was somebody who I felt was flying.
Speaker 4: Under the radar.
Speaker 6: It's just kneeling, I mean you the guys that were just flashing, just showing up, you know, and I'm quite sure the rams ram dot com is over there talking about their guys.
Speaker 2: You know, they don't have the flare we have.
Speaker 6: As the Dallas Cowboys, but I'm quite sure they are excited about a few guys.
Speaker 2: It's about four or five guys that you that y'all have mentioned.
Speaker 6: We're gonna need these guys by the six or seventh game to really start showing who they are if we're gonna be in this race. And that that is my deal though, I mean you you, if you were gonna look at this the right way, these guys that we've talked about, excuse Trey Lance, but these other guys we've talked about, we're gonna need them to be a part of this core, uh, member of the team, so that this team can be successful.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about ten or more wins.
Speaker 6: Ten or more wins that gives you an opportunity to maybe eleven wins, to be in this playoff again. And so these are the guys that miss Savannah and mickeya talking about it. I'm talking about that we need to show up. You know in these preseason games.
Speaker 3: You know, one of the guys that we've seen show up in practice and kind of consistently Jalen Cropper, And in the game he ended up being the Cowboys leading receiver four catches for twenty six yards.
Speaker 4: I know there was a couple of.
Speaker 3: Short ones in there, but he continued as a wide receiver making himself available.
Speaker 4: Same thing with Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 3: Savannah pointed out the big catch from Cooper Rush I think it was forty.
Speaker 4: Eight yards. And he's one of the guys. I mean, you're gonna have to have.
Speaker 3: Five receivers, right, You get CD back here, you got Brandon Cooks, you got Jareb Tolbert had, you got Turpin and Brooks. So if they keep five, that's right. So where's where does Cropper fit?
Speaker 4: In right.
Speaker 3: John Stevens showed that he can get open. And again this is his first game since college missed all last season with the torn acl uh. So this is where this team needs to improve in uh and and they got a lot of snaps and that I'm gonna repeat it again. That was Mike McCarthy's priority. Get these young guys as many snaps as I can. And again, there were times where I was writing down the play and I looked up and they were already at the line of scrimmage. So there was some pace there to squeeze in as many plays as they could in this first preseason game. And I thought they accomplished that pretty well.
Speaker 6: If you look on the league, that's that's been every offensive team's mindset.
Speaker 2: We need reps, we need player.
Speaker 6: The only way you can develop these guys, especially young guys, to give them reps, you know, give them. The more reps, the more times they can download all this this experience that they're gaining by each play.
Speaker 2: This is this is how it goes. This is if you just.
Speaker 6: Look around the league, you know, ain't nobody worrying about a record. You know, ain't nobody word about whether you won or lost. They worry about did we get sixty five plus snaps on offense? Did we get seventy plus snaps on defense? I mean even the defensive coaches ain't calling it to just they want to see your one on one individual skills. They ain't blitzing, they ain't snunting a whole lot, they ain't running a bunch of games. They want to see each individual guy get as many reps as he can and to see how he responds off of those reps. And that's just how that's how the game is played in preseason.
Speaker 3: And the attention to try lance. Uh, it's league wide with young quarterbacks. Yes, before the game, I was reading the wrap ups of eight games that were played the night before. Seven of the leads started with the quarterback that wonted the young quarterback. Everybody's focused on the quarterback. That's just the way things go.
Speaker 6: And see, I'm gonna say very quickly, and I'm not bringing up the other guy's name because if you want to know, but you think this other guy, even though he had a game when he drive it, how do you think.
Speaker 2: He really feels Stetson Bennett, I'm his name?
Speaker 3: Wow, Georgia, right, you going to the SEC like that, and you in the SEC twenty four or thirty eight.
Speaker 2: That's that's the Missouri hate.
Speaker 4: And guess what he got intercepted four.
Speaker 2: Let it go mix for Chris. He won't let it go.
Speaker 3: Let's continue on mix shots here Nate has to take another shot as a missourid Dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 7: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Reading the script.
Speaker 4: It is less fillings. That's not what my script says hell mindset.
Speaker 8: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less film and tastes great.
Speaker 9: I'm Bashine Legal Guy, Celebrate Responsibily Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousand. If you point two grams carvers for twelve ounces fewer cowsond cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 10: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real hals avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped the press out.
Speaker 4: Who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 1: He escapes left.
Speaker 4: He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 2: Just like football.
Speaker 11: When it comes to Crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna run this himself. Run it up the middle any scores.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com to mix Shots.
Speaker 5: The official twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp Preview is now available. This year's edition features scouting reports, position analysis, a pull out schedule poster, and articles from your favorite Cowboys writers. Get your Training Camp Preview today at your local pro shop or Dallas Cowboys dot Com slash Star.
Speaker 3: And we continue here on mix Shots on Dallascowboys dot Com. So I'm just gonna ask you guys again, any players you want to bring up that we have it brought up so far.
Speaker 5: Yes, I do have one, and actually I think it's kind of a fun little fan story. If you recall, Cooper Bebe had his mom and his dad, you know, when he first was drafted, helping him practice his snaps in his backyard back in Kansas, right. Well, they attended the game yesterday at SOFI Stadium. Tom and Tamra, his mom and dad got to watch Cooper go out and take his first set of NFL snaps, and so I thought that was a really cool moment for the BB family. And I'm sure, you know, obviously with Cooper, he's kind of fighting for that position brock Hoffman's, you know, if you ask me, more of the starting guy for it. But getting those reps for Cooper BB really big for him. I thought he did a decent job yesterday.
Speaker 3: And since she brought up family, I don't know if anybody noticed, but when the Cowboys were going to get the ball back with a kickoff with four seconds left, we were sitting there near the locker room, game wasn't over, and here comes Brandon Aubrey running to the locker room. Well, he needed to get back home because his wife was scheduled to have their child, first child today, and so he was trying to make a flight to get back to Dallas in time to be there for the birth of his child.
Speaker 2: So that was.
Speaker 3: Another family situation there. Okay, players, Nate, anybody else.
Speaker 6: Carl Davis Number ninety eight. Oh yeah, he he broke some backs. I watched him in a couple of series. He bent some folks man, you know. And once, like you say, Overshonn.
Speaker 2: He had.
Speaker 6: He showed up early in the game. I mean he ran a dude down. It was second and seven. Next thing you know, it's thirty eight. I mean he hit the dude in the backfield. Just guys like that that just pop up and just show up and do what they have to do. I just want to make sure everybody knows ninety eight Card Davis, he'll break you.
Speaker 3: Back, Savannahs anybody else for you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I mean I really did like seeing ric o'dowdell the first set of drives there. I mean, it looked like he picked up right where he left off. But I definitely want to see this next game a little bit more out of the full running back committee there because I think Hunter Lupke didn't see enough out of him. Want to see what he's doing there. And then, you know, honestly, I have no update on Deucewan. Yeah he's there, so that's one thing I want to keep out.
Speaker 3: He's still got a hamstring going, so he needs to get back into practice. As does Royce Freeman, because Malik Davis is starting to remind everybody that he you know, he has played in the league before. So I also thought a guy that we saw here in training camp showing up number thirty one, Josh Butler, the cornerback. He ended up with four tackles, one for a loss, and he had two pass breakups. So uh, he really, really, uh is showing some consistency. I don't know if it's gonna be enough to force them to keep an extra cornerback or not, because you got to figure that at this point. After trading Na Shawn Wright over. I believe it was Friday.
Speaker 6: You know what, and we had enough of you, shan By.
Speaker 3: I like that that fourth and fifth cornerback spot. You know, they need guys to step up and think about it. That's what haunted him last year when Stefan Gilmour was injured had the shoulder.
Speaker 2: You know what the Cowboys problem was last year?
Speaker 4: Me, what's that?
Speaker 2: And we got abundance of him. Now it's called linebacker.
Speaker 6: If we'd have had linebacker, Yes, and Bell stayed, we are okay. The issues that y'all are worrying about ce d Lamb he will be here. Uh, Tray what's the quarterback name?
Speaker 2: Trey Lance? Don't worry. We have Cooper Rush. The things that y'all are leting, these bobblehead dumb media people worry y'all about. Don't worry.
Speaker 4: Will Trayvon Diggs be ready to play the season.
Speaker 2: It don't matter.
Speaker 6: We got a replacement for him, Baby, we gotta replace it.
Speaker 2: It don't matter. We didn't sign no free agents because we're gonna build within. Baby.
Speaker 6: We're gonna come with Savannah, George, your baby.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm here for it.
Speaker 5: Younger guys stepping up, we stepping up veterans and young folks.
Speaker 6: I'm stepping in for Bill and she's stepping in for herself.
Speaker 2: What's you stepping in for?
Speaker 4: What'd you think of the kickoffs?
Speaker 2: Oh? I loved it because you know that every coach is setting up every other coach to be somebody finna have a great year.
Speaker 4: No one's showing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was weird looking.
Speaker 5: I'll talk like just to see it happen on the TV, Like, I was like, Oh, this is gonna take some time to get but you.
Speaker 4: Know what, but I do like it.
Speaker 3: You know what worked with it? I bet you y'all watch the kickoffs. Yes, usually it's just like, okay, it's going to be a touchback, let's go right. And and Aubrey got so ramped up on that first one he kicked it into the end zone. He wasn't supposed to do that. He was just juiced to go, and he kicked it too hard. But if you notice they were trying to directionally kick and try to pin guys between the number and the sidelines.
Speaker 2: It don't matter. It's gonna be some great things come off of these kickoffs. I'm telling you, it don't matter.
Speaker 3: Nate Newton, with a little positivity here on mixed shots, appreciate you getting back here in time for the show.
Speaker 2: Where were I?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 2: Where did I go?
Speaker 4: Where did you go?
Speaker 5: Seene over here?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Miss driving across country?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you go on your motorcycle or your car.
Speaker 6: No, No, I couldn't have made it to Texas and back in my motorcycle.
Speaker 2: I just went and checking on my wife. You know.
Speaker 6: I got home like Friday night at what two in the morning.
Speaker 2: You all right, sweet all? She said, yeah, She rode over and went back to sleep.
Speaker 6: I got in the bed, went to sleep, woke up at at eleven o'clock and was dressed twelve and one, and I was back on my way back.
Speaker 2: To How long is the drive? About twenty hours?
Speaker 4: Just twenty hours, that's all.
Speaker 2: But I had to see my wife first.
Speaker 4: I love you, but show for twenty four hours you saw.
Speaker 6: Yes, no, no, no, I saw it. But I got in at two or three Friday.
Speaker 2: Morning, woke up at Saturday morning, and then left at eleven. Left after that eleven twelve o'clock.
Speaker 3: I love you, Michelle, mister cross country. All right, we'll be back on Wednesday, eight a m.
Speaker 2: Out You'll be in Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: She's driving, we're driving. We're driving to Vegas.
Speaker 2: Chris being driving to Chris.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, Nate, Savannah, Mickey will be better. Mix shots on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.