Speaker 1: I'm talking right here. This is not loud.
Speaker 2: No, you have to really talk into it.
Speaker 1: All right, So what about this, I'm getting it high right there. I heard the dial.
Speaker 2: You just listened. The first time you got me asked, I think that was four times we asked.
Speaker 1: But then he was like, oh yeah, he sounds good. But then like on my side, I can see that my volume is too high.
Speaker 2: On Women's History month, listen to women.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you my volume is too high. When you when you listen to the recording, it's gonna be bad.
Speaker 2: It's gonna sound you don't not listen to a woman on March third. You know we're three days in.
Speaker 1: Don't start already.
Speaker 2: I'm starting. I'm starting.
Speaker 3: I won't make you all jealous.
Speaker 2: No, it's beautiful. She looks out and use the ocean. You probably do too, Chris.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, she's not too far. I mean, I can't walk, but it's out there.
Speaker 2: It's out there. Ella, Welcome to another episode of Brown Ambition. Be a faan. How are y'all doing?
Speaker 4: Wooo?
Speaker 3: I'm doing all right. I feel like March just like snuck up like it was it was just January and then now all of a sudden. You know, February always lies by because it's short, but then March is like just here out of nowhere, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Not right, is it? Is it going to be a stressful month for you? I love March.
Speaker 3: I just travel a lot in March because it's like the last few weeks of like active legislative sessions and differ. So when I'm doing that work, I have to like hurry up and squeeze in a testimony at some hearings here or this.
Speaker 2: Do you get nervous? I mean, testifying in front of mini congresses is not something that people do like once in their life, let alone as part of their job all the time.
Speaker 3: No, you know, it's funny. I actually have a video on my phone is so embarrassing of the first testimony I ever provided. It was virtual during COVID, and I was shaking, like you can literally see me shaking. And then at the end when I turn off my video to record myself, I was like trying to breathe because I was so That's how nervous I was. It was the first time I had ever testified. I didn't know, you know, what to expect or how I was gonna go but by now I've done it probably dozens of times, so I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, another one of these.
Speaker 1: I can't wait till we can all vote for you.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, we're not doing that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 3: I always when I was growing up, I always thought like, oh, maybe I'll do local politics, And now that I work in local politics or like adjacent to it, man, it's like when you see how the sausage gets made, right is that the phrase? Yeah, you like know the inner workings, And it's so fin petty, like everybody is petty LaBelle. It's so annoying. You cannot deal with a person who's not having ulterior motives or some other motivation or some selfish thing or some other agenda. It's like, bro, are we here for what we're here for? But the issue is at hand or always some type of high school drama. This person didn't vote for my last bill, so I don't care if I like this bill, I'm not gonna vote for it just out of fight. And it's like that kind of stuff is so incessant. I'm like, no, no, no, I can't be involved in this mess.
Speaker 2: Well, good to know that the lower levels are just like the White House. I'm sorry, sorry, I'm not here to provide any top of hope. No, we're getting some hope. The hope is that you can relate that back to us so that we don't stop the good work that we're doing here. And we understand and they get they do it for like no pay too. That's why you got to be a gajillionaire to afford to be a congress person or a lawmaker.
Speaker 3: That is the sad truth. But at the end of the day, they do have a lot of power and it is on us to hold them accountable. Yes, you know, we vote for them. Both elections are the most important and at the end of the day, their email addresses and their Twitter accounts are there.
Speaker 2: She is there, she is she found the brown ambition inside.
Speaker 3: Yes, always, it's just that it's not going to be mess but you know somebody.
Speaker 2: Else, Yes, absolutely, yeah, I mean While on a brighter note, this morning on YouTube, I did get to watch the beginning of the Oscars. Well, I missed my girl Cynthia and Ariana Grande did like the prettiest opening, I mean, the most exquisite. Have y'all watched it yet?
Speaker 1: I missed it. I did watch the Oscars, but I came in a little late.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you really did. You gotta go back and watch it.
Speaker 3: Watch it.
Speaker 4: They killed it.
Speaker 3: I mean Cynthia of course obviously did the did her thing, but Ariana too. I mean they just it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: I mean like the Internet ruined it. They like spoiled it for me. By the time I watched it, I knew what was coming. But if I had been caught off guard and Cynthia came out singing home from the Whiz, I would have.
Speaker 1: Been kr I was gonna say, Queen Latifa did a great tribute to the Whiz for the Quincy Jones I heard.
Speaker 2: She did move on down the Road. I haven't watched that yet.
Speaker 3: That's awesome little shorts from it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad Queen still out here, just in all the categories. Yan Ellie, our girls, Zoey South. I can claim her as my girl because you know, I'm raising Dominican boys. But her speech was so well, how did you feel?
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that she said that, And her passion is just so palpable, like when she's Meeks, it's so she's fired up. It's like you can tell. It's so authentic, right and she I mean, it's been a long time coming for her.
Speaker 2: She's so talented way back.
Speaker 3: But also I mean major films that a lot of technical awards were granted for were given out for, but never like her acting like Avatar. I mean obviously people know from Avatar, but like this was just I mean, she put everything into it. The fact that she spoke in Spanish and said that and made the you know, ow to her grandparents and to the immigrant struggle. I'm so glad she said all the things that she said because we were all so here for it. And she's, yeah, the first Dominican actress to receive an Oscar Award, and that's true for any award of cross, like any producer and other awards that which is sad but also just incredible that she had that ability to go up there and represent in that way. But yeah, it was beautiful, beautiful moment. We love her, We stand zone.
Speaker 1: She was the best thing about that movie About a Million Birds. She carried that movie.
Speaker 2: Another highlight back to Wicked. Paul Tazewell, the costume designers, first black man to ever win in that and.
Speaker 3: He said it when he won his award.
Speaker 2: Yes, let him know.
Speaker 3: Let him know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you gotta let him know because people need to be reminded how rare we are in the building, let alone on the stage, and the.
Speaker 3: Fact that we're trying to roll back the EI left and right and now we're finally getting some firsts for black people up on this stage. Right like after Latina was like Zo, we like Paul Tasle's work, Like, why are we just now getting these firsts and people are still not putting two and two together that we need these DEI programs to allow for this. We're still making history of the first black blank. That's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: It's twenty twenty five and he did an amazing job. But the costume design and Wicked was a bubble dress you were It felt to me it felt better than I love the live musical. But I feel they did a justice the world they created with that. It was he did a great job with the cast and design.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you noticed also like how he has just leveled up in his career. I first found out about his work when I watched In the Heights. It was like two thousand and nine, eighty nine. I watched it with Cordon Blue and Jordan Sparks cast I saw that phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Wait, so he did the costume design for the play?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh, did he also do it for the film, don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he did it for the film. I know for sure he did Hamilton as.
Speaker 2: Well, because that would be the connection between him and John Chu, the director of In the Heights the musical.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but back then I mean In the Heights and Hamilton, and of course Wicked, I mean I and he'd obviously whiz live. I feel like he has been just slowly elevating to this point where it's like it was a given. It was just amount of time.
Speaker 2: It was nice to see it not go to like fucking like Renaissance queens and kings, like no offense to the Europeans, but like, god damn you, you're Elizabethan. Corsets and stuff is all very impressive. But did you see the bubble dress? I'm sorry, did you see the munchkin Land? Like the way that every character was so unique? And I know because I had the coloring book and I'm like, ooh, I'm gonna do yeah, I'm named literally, this is what I do when I'm stressed sometimes the wicked. My mommy got me this for Christmas, I'm not even ashamed, And yeah, and I'm just that was amazing. Did you guys do boycott Friday? By the way, I did too.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: A lot easier for me than I thought it was going to be, I gotta say, because it was a Friday, and so I just feel like I wasn't necessarily like I was able to just like enjoy my Friday. I wasn't really online that much, which I think helped me. But if it's a start of the week, if it's a Sunday, or if it's like a Monday, I find it. I'm ordering stuff more. I'm like like in my beginning of the week mode, where like I'm looking ahead and planning ahead. But like the fact it was a I was whining down, I was not doing work. It just for me. I felt like it was going to be so difficult and it ended up being much easier.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see the quarterly results from Target, which are I was just thinking, I was like, when's the quarter over?
Speaker 1: So much we should see it is a quarter march.
Speaker 2: I want to see because they got to tell they got to tell the shareholders. Shareholders are already suing Target right because they pissed at Apple. I haven't gone to Target since well since before they announced it because I just hadn't. I just happened to not have. But it's been great financially truly, and and I do think the seductive marketing, the way the store is set up, like psychologically, to give you these like little dopamine hits based on like the products they sell, it really is all seductive. And to break ourselves of that that sort of like spell that they had us under, I feel like there's nothing but good from that.
Speaker 3: Target has had suburban moms in a choke hold for.
Speaker 2: Years listen and I and I was one, but no longer. I feel like I woken up at the end of Barbie like America. Frea just came to me and gave me a pep talk, and I'm like, you're right, I hate Target. Powerful shoulders, yes, but I can't. I can't front though, y'all. Okay, so what I happen. I did end up at the mall on Friday. But here's what happened. What happened was my good friend and of all the days. But anyway, in the evening, I'm recuperating. I get an emergency call my friend Jess. She needs a gown for an event, Jack and Jill. Jack and Jill is an iconic nonprofit that you know does all kinds of increble work. You can talk about the very blackly black but black. Okay, she's going to the gala. The dress doesn't fit. Okay, we need to go to Nordstrum. She wants to know if I want to ride with her. I haven't seen her in a while, y'all. I miss my friend Jess. So of course I say yes, let's go on the way there. I'm like, holy what where are you taking me? We're not supposed to be doing this. She's like, yeah, I know, but the event is tomorrow. I gotta go. But I was like, well, I'm not spending any money. But I went with her and watched her. And technically she didn't spend money either, because she just exchanged she had already bought. It was just a little even exchange. But wouldn't you know, the checkout girl recognized me. She's like, are you on Instagram? Money?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No no no no no no no no no no no no no. I carry a pocket NDA. Don't you know that? So I was like, you need to sign this or I'm just kidding. It's just a little like, you know, a little electronic signature right here, Thank you very.
Speaker 3: Much, put her phone and recorded no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no no. She was so sweet, but she yeah, she was so sweet. I was like, please, don't tell anybody else. But I didn't spend any money. I did not, but it was yeah, so that was my.
Speaker 3: Nobody really spent any money. I would just run in an errand. And it happened to the mall, Okay, you know what.
Speaker 2: I support this and all the staff are women of color, as we typically do hold up the companies that are run by a billionaire white guys. So and they were so sweet. It was actually kind of fun being at I haven't been to the mall on a Friday night. When's the last time y'all went to the mall on a Friday?
Speaker 5: Period?
Speaker 3: Was the mall period? I'm in there a long time period?
Speaker 2: But was it like crowded?
Speaker 3: Because I feel like everybody was assuming that because it was black on Friday, or everybody was gonna do the boycott and it wasn't gonna be anybody in stores. But then there was a post being like and that doesn't really always work out that way because the people who actively are against this stuff double down and show up to shop. So is that like what was the vibe in person?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What were the numbers like?
Speaker 2: Well, at nord Stream, it was kind of popping. I mean there was probably like a dozen people shopping, which it was eight pm. I mean it was close to closing time. I don't know. But it's also I think but there were like mothers of the bride, you know, brothers of the groom. They were getting their dresses for their springtime wedding. So I didn't have fault them. But also it's I live in Westchester. It's not a lot of us out here anyway. It's pretty white, honestly them all. I don't know. The people at the perfume counters. I could tell they were all like really wanting people, like please come buy something, you pot some pants, you want some crystal, you want like a thousand dollars Chanel bag. No, no, no, thank you. But it was nice to walk around with a friend. We did see We saw one group of young girls, maybe like teenage girls, like four of them in a pack kind of like hanging out and that was cute. But it's just no, I didn't have friends, and I was called no, maybe I didn't to my childhood trauma. Yeah, it took me right back. No, I didn't have friends.
Speaker 3: Well, they want to be friends with you now.
Speaker 2: Don't think I didn't peak too soon. I made all my friends in college. I moved a lot. It was hard to make friends, you know. Just whatever.
Speaker 3: But if we're chatting, we should mention the sixtieth anniversary of Ployee Sunday, which is coming up.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you early March.
Speaker 3: And you know, I just I keep thinking it was like maybe twenty fifteen. Yeah, twenty fifteen was the fiftieth, twenty five sixtieth that makes sense mathematically, twenty fifteen that picture of Obama, you know, Michelle and Barack holding hands with John Lewis and crossing the bridge and just like obviously Amelia Boytman was there too, and their daughter Sasha and Melia and just like that whole line. I just have that picture in my mind, that photo of them holding hands crossing that bridge fifty years later, and the fact that Miliebourne was still alive at that time. She died later that year.
Speaker 2: But like John Lewis too, and John Lewis too, let me just google. Let's see if Trump is on the Edmund Pettist Bridge at all. He ain't going nowhere near see you gonna Yeah, nope, nothing, couldn't couldn't, couldn't see it interesting. But let's we will pull up that picture of the Obamas.
Speaker 3: So beautiful, y'all, and the fact that all of the important people that needed to be there were there, and it was fifty years and that, and it's just sad now to think that just ten years later we have gone backwards.
Speaker 2: It feel like in some ways. In some ways, but I do want to call out, you know, ten years ago, what wasn't around was this news organization called the Nineteenth which I've had Aaron Haynes, one of the they called them, says the founding mothers, the founding mother of Aaron Haynes something on the show a couple of times. I'm going to post the link to this article that I just thought was beautiful, a beautiful way to honor the women behind the movement as well. So the Nineteenth News dot org is where you can find it. They have an article called flowers for the unsung Black women of Bloody Sunday, black women fed, protected, and housed the activists who traveled to Selma, Alabama in March nineteen sixty five to demonstrate for voting rights. Here are their stories. And that was written by threejournalist Alexis Frey, Eden Turner, Sabrine Da Wood Da Wood. Sorry mispronounce that And this article just came out when we're recording this show. But it's it's a beautiful It reminds me like why I got into journalism is to tell stories like this and some of the archival photos they shared beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's so important, it's so important to keep telling the history because obviously some people are fighting to not include it at all. So we have to tell it. Eight men that part retell it and retell it and tell it again. Yeah, but you know the beautiful thing that came from even though there's so much bloodshed and heartbreak on Bloody Sunday, which was early nineteen sixty five. Later that year, the civil rights movement had a huge win with the Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five. So while we're here to celebrate something that obviously had a lot of stain, and it was really hard and negative. Later in I think September August, the Secember of that same year was the Voting Rights Tack, which probably most people would would say it's probably the crown jewel, biggest win of the Civil Rights Act, of the Civil rights like era, but really fighting for everybody to be able to get in particular every black person in America to be able to get egal rights to vote. But you know, I don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but just thinking about a couple of years ago when I first started doing this legislative work with financial literacy being in schools, there were like three hundred different bills, if not more, that we're trying to introduce, like rollbacks, like pulling back like basically not allowing people to register early, not allowing people to vote, to do voter registration on the day of, taking away like the fact that if you have if you don't have a photo ID, then you can't vote, Like just all kinds of shady shit that it's like, this is literally what the Voting Rights Act was.
Speaker 2: History rhymes, history rhymes truly, My.
Speaker 3: Goodness, it's so frustrating to see so that when I say like, oh, we're it feels like oftentimes like we're moving backwards. Like not to be negative, but it's just so frustrating that the not just fight the good fight, get a big win, but then keep fighting, keep fighting that same fight while fighting new fights. It's like rock come on. It's so frustrating, especially with legislative wins like that. You would think, Okay, that's the law, that's it, but amending it.
Speaker 2: Ro v Wade sounded like it was forever as a little girl growing up, and I do not little girl. I didn't really think about it then, but yeah, like you think those kinds of things are just etched and stone. I actually find it very I find it very and and you can. It's not about not being negative too. It's like being real. We got to call a spata s babe. This is the times we're in. People need to understand the severity of the situation. And I also think it's like I said before on the show, our generation we were really taught like they did it. You're this post racial you know Gen X to millennials and Gen Z and like you know, you're the next generation. You're gonna get to celebrate the fruits of our labor, and you know that's not the case. And I think that we need to quickly understand that the fight continues and we have never I'm you know, I think the policies that we were hard fought and won back in the sixties and seventies, like now we're gonna have to re like go to battle again to protect them and in some ways after this challenge, when they survive, because I fully believe that they will and that we can in some shape or form way shape shape or form or fashion fight back against this, that they'll be even stronger because we have. They have been tested, battle tested, you know. And I do feel like, yeah, so I I feel not so much like I'm I'm reading a story about people that are so far removed, and it's more like I'm want I'm reading and I'm like studying, like, oh, so this is how they organized and this is what worked. And you know the fact that the Voting Rights Act happened. You think about the March on Washington being that like pivotal moment, but that was bloody Sunday was two years later, and I bet the people who marched on Washington thought, well, didn't we do it.
Speaker 3: Didn't we just deal with this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, back again, but it's back again in this brutality, and that led to the Voting Rights Act. And we I love Stacy Abrams podcast Assembly Required and really listening to her as like a voice of comfort in times like this. Tasty comes back. Come back to Brannon Bish. We miss you. She's so great, and her whole you know, mission to for voter against voter suppression in Georgia where she tried and failed to become the first woman and first African American woman governor, was really eye opening and like, yeah, I'm just glad you brought that up you in Ellie, because I feel like those basic rights that we can take for granted are so flimsy in reality.
Speaker 3: Ye, stay vigilant.
Speaker 1: It just shows how important it is to vote right and why it's so significant that we make sure we turn out for all elections, the small ones and big ones, because if it wasn't important, they wouldn't be trying to find all these ways to reduce it and take away the right and make it as difficult as possible. Like why why is voting day election day not a national holiday? Why doesn't everyone have that day off of work, Like if it wasn't so important, they wouldn't be trying to make it so difficult. So I think it's just even more encouragement to make sure you're on it, know what's going on locally, and turn out for those things, because like both of you were saying before, like you know, barely one shows up for those elections, so your vote really matters in those. You have so much more weight when you show up to even the small ones that can make an impact on your local community.
Speaker 3: That's right, And some of them are coming up real soon. So y'all need to check check your local elections and see what's happening and tune in and show up because this is the only way. Like, if they know that you're not paying attention, that's when they pounce, right, So we have to be real, real vigilant.
Speaker 2: What else is happening? Oh, you know this morning I had I was kind of like super sad this morning and I had to journal about it and I couldn't figure out why. One. I think because I'm sleep deprived. Last night was rough with with the kids were just like not having it. We ended up sleeping like survivors of a catastrophe in the same bed, just like me and my husband clinging to one side. Anyway, So sleepy being sleep, sleepy, being sleepy sleep. Oh god, it's not well mourning for you. I'm still on it at two pm Eastern time. Yeah, anyway, I had to. So I have been in this group therapy that I've been doing every Thursday since last May. It's called dialectical behavioral therapy if you'll ever heard of it. It's like the sister to CBT, which is like the typical cognitive behavioral therapy where you try to change the thoughts that are causing you distress. But DBT and DBT was something that was new to me, and I also group therapy was like new to me in general. Yeah where you at and I was. I always thought of it as like you sort of see like alcoholics anonymous they're in a group together, but then you don't know each other. It's anonymous, right, so you don't but it's in a group. And anyway, doctor Joy from Therapy for Black Girls opened me up to that idea that you could be in a group and actually find that useful speaking with other people. And so anyway, long story short, I got into this weekly therapy DBT, but it's meant to be temporary. It's meant to be like, I think, four months at a stint, and so I had renewed it, so I went through like eight months and I graduate March thirteenth, and so my yeah, my graduation.
Speaker 4: I'm sad.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna miss it, you know, genuinely, because it really gave one. There's like people in the group of a small group is like six of us, but it really it just humanizes people who are struggling with certain you know, just challenges. I mean, the world is really freaking hard to cope with. And when you're someone who feels things really deeply at a time like this, pray for your impaths in life. And I just really found the tools useful. And so if you're someone out there who's really struggling with like really big feelings and it's causing you like anxiety, depression, it's interfering with your life, it's interfering with your relationships. I can't recommend DBT group therapy enough, honestly. So, and it's widespread, so you could find, you know, a group that probably meets near you that the person who runs the group told me that I need to get my together and get my get my one on one individual therapists set up. I've been dragging my feet because my therapist who I work with for like four or five years, she went back to work at a hospital. She's working with recovering mothers postpartum, which is amazing. I tried out another therapist. It didn't work. I wasn't a fan like it was weren't bang. I don't know. So I've been therapists therapist lists for two months now, which is the longest I've gone in a long time.
Speaker 1: I got well.
Speaker 2: I've always had DBT, so they've been my support.
Speaker 3: But I feel like you need like a therapist be dating.
Speaker 2: I know, it's it's I haven't been in this position in a while, like where you've had to shop for your therapist. So I have a consultation on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Okay, we take a step.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean it is like dating trying to find a therapist, right, you don't know, you like that personality, You you got stuff that you can talk about. They can relate and connect to what you're talking about in your life. It's it's work.
Speaker 2: I did not you know, I'm just like the last guy he was a white dude. I did not enjoy it. I don't think I can. I don't. I mean, I didn't want it to be like that because he actually wrote a book that I found at the library and I found did the book really fascinating? And I found him interesting and he lived locally to me, so I went and found him and I was like, I'm a fan. Beg my therapist. He's like, WHOA three people have read this book, and like anyway, but yeah, I don't know, it was I thought, and this is the thing, like you, I don't know, Chris, do you mind saying if your therapist is.
Speaker 1: A guy or woman, it's a woman. My current therapist, Okay, how is that for you?
Speaker 2: She a woman of color, white lady.
Speaker 1: She is a white woman who was recommended to me originally was a man. But my therapist passed away.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 1: I didn't know, because you know obviously that gona tell you everything about their own lives. But I could tell he was dealing with something, and I remember he had missed a couple of appointments and then he sent me this this long message about like how he's in hospice care. So what ended up happening was he connected me with the other therapist who was in his office, So that's how I ended up with her. But she's been great cause she was written. My original recommendation from someone was her. She was fool so she recommended me to him and then he balanced me back. But that's how I ended up with that. But she's she's amazing. She's she's also a podcaster, so she understands this life that I'm living Okay, really great. I've been with it for probably what I don't even know, two three years something.
Speaker 2: Like that, though, talkid that gives me hope. Maybe it's not just because he was a dude. I just kept looking at him and being like, well, no, I just don't feel like being my full authentic self here and it probably has to do with me, but anyway, I'm on that journey.
Speaker 3: The cause of it doesn't matter. It's the existence of.
Speaker 2: It that matters. Yeah, And he totally understood that, and like we kind of like touched on it because I was like after the election, I was like, you got to tell me who you voted for because I don't think I can talk to you. I know it shouldn't matter, but it matters. He's like, he's like, okay, yes I voted for Kamala and I was like, okay, but it wasn't enough. So I'm on that journey, y'an, Ellie. Do you have any have you ever been in therapy or yeah?
Speaker 3: I was doing therapy for like six years right after undergrad. It was rough transitioning back home home from being like independent and then being back under my parents' roof. And they had all these expectations and I was like, uh, I got multiple degrees. Now, don't tell me what this. Oh yeah, so I had Yeah I did that about six years of therapy, but I haven't had a therapist in a few years now.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just write a lot and just go to the gym.
Speaker 2: That's my therapy.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: What I never really grasped as a concept is that therapy is not meant to be permanent. Yeah, it's just meant to be for a long term thing.
Speaker 3: Though, because I was trying to do it for like two or three years, I ended up doing it for six years. And I do not regret that. I think I really needed it to go into my thirties like I was not. I was not capable of doing that on my own without like really having a place to go release and just honestly getting so much advice about how poorly I was doing at communicating. That was my biggest thing that I got from therapy, was like, you know, I would I don't know, like dumb shit too. Like I remember that I was planning this girl's trip and I had a friend and she was like going through something and she loves the job. She was going through a lot of stuff, and so I was planning this girl strip I just felt so bad. I didn't want to like tell her, Hey, I know you just lost your job, but like we're plying this girl's trip, you know, if you get swinging like and so I just didn't mention it to her. And then she found out through another friend that I was planning this girl's trip, and then she wasn't invited. And it's like, dude, if that was happening to me right now, I would literally just message her and be like I do not want to be insensitive at all, but I want you to feel welcome and invited. So if you can swing it calm, you're definitely invited. We want you there, but if not, I totally understand as well. Because I know what's going on with you personally, no pressureable like that is. All you have to do is just communicate, and I wasn't doing that. You avoid, Yeah, so I think therapy helped me. Yeah, and something that we don't teach too, Like I feel like when you're in school, or even when you're in college, no matter enough, nobody teaches you how to communicate clearly and effectively. So that was a huge takeaway from me for therapy.
Speaker 2: It was like it was me.
Speaker 3: The root of it was me. I wasn't communicating well, I'm them seriously.
Speaker 1: I have a measure. There's like because you know, let's do a good job getting personal finance into schools. Imagine if there's like a semester of like therapy, like group therapy for real life skills. That's the stuff you need, right because a bunch of unlike adults who can't function because we don't know how to do this stuff and we're out of struggling and scrambling, that'd be great to at least get a little something under a belt before you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there actually is some DBT curriculum in schools, Like there is a movement to get yeah, to teach young kids. And you know what's crazy is like all of the lessons. When I say big feelings, that's commonly you'll hear that phrase among parents, and like parents, psychologists or kids psychologists for everyon want to call them about how to help kids manage their big feelings. And that's all DBT is. It's literally for adults, and I too need to learn how to take some deep breaths and learn how to cope with big uncomfortable. It's just that the feelings and the stakes are so much higher when you have grown up problems. Yes, you know, I can't have a melt down in the middle of target. I you know, it's it looks different for me and a bigger and so yeah, I'm learning so much and it's making me a better mom and I'm I'm learning. I'm like, oh, I was never I really was never taught. I was like, you had to I'm gonna say, please, don't sing, please don't sing frozen, don't do it, don't do it, don't concealed, don't feel I didn't sing it. I just said it conceal the feelings. And it was really hard and to be strong and to like and nothing ever bothers her and like that kind of thing, and that was a good tool. We learned that it was a good tool for them, but not so much for now. And anyway, it makes me excited because I'm like, oh man, I'm giving this kid the best shot. It's not just about giving him money, and you know, yeah, loving household is important too, but like really preparing them to be humans in this kind of world. I just am so proud that I'm gonna hopefully it'll stick, hopefully he'll take it with him. Like that's the.
Speaker 3: Proudest thing that you can feel as an adult who raised children. Whether like for me it's I'm in an antique capacity, I'm like the favorite thea, but it's really like showing them what emotional regulation looks like and sounds like and feels like and being a role model for them in that way, because the worst people who have been the most toxic in my life have been people who just did not have any emotional regulation skills, Like they just could not cope with emotions, they didn't know how, they take it all out on other people or just you know, let it fester until they exploded. And that's just horrible to be around. And also I'm sure it feels horrible to be that person too, so I'm sure they want to relieve from it. They you know, we just don't. We don't have a way. And I don't know when that transition happens. I was gonna say earlier, like at some point like you're like, oh, you're young, you're young, you could get away with this or that, and then all of a sudden, one day you wake up and Nope, you're not young anymore. And now anything you do is like the expectation is that you're a grown ass adult and you're supposed to have that you figured out?
Speaker 2: Yeah when?
Speaker 4: Like when?
Speaker 5: And how?
Speaker 3: I just yeah, so much pressure?
Speaker 4: So I do.
Speaker 3: I love that you're doing that with your kids, Mandy, because that's like probably the most important thing you could give them. Money comes and goes. You know, success is defined differently, it's all subjective, but that emotion regulation and the ability to cope with what you're dealing with emotion inside of yourself and treating and just being a good human being who can manage that is literally the best gift you can give them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's because life is nothing but a serious of relationships, right, and you got to know how to manage that and relate to people and deal with conflict constantly. It never stops happening, and setting their kids up.
Speaker 3: And trying so hard and so dobly important.
Speaker 2: I truly feel the weight of responsibility to create a Women's History Month, especially to create boys who are not toxic. And I've said that before, but I genuinely like it's so much I try to put just like they have to love themselves and be strong and be proud to be Dominican, but also know they have a black from the South mama, and also like understand like my culture and their culture and speak Spanish but you know, also be able to speak. And it's just as a lot, a lot. I'm doing my best, so thank you for giving me. It's a it's a big responsiblit, but hey, I had these kids, so that's what I signed up for, is how I feel. That's right.
Speaker 3: Well, the mom was out there listening. We know it's a lot, but that's what you signed up, what.
Speaker 2: We signed up for, literally creating the future.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Well, Chris, what's your update over there? How's things going?
Speaker 1: No, it's going well. I gotta say I'm trying to be healthier. Now, I've been in San Francisco, so I'm doing a ton of walking. I didn't bring my car with me. I'm living that you took over to the gym.
Speaker 3: Hard life.
Speaker 1: She went to the gym. I've been walking. I was walking like eighteen thousand steps past two days. I remember during the pandemic, I was the heaviest I'd ever gotten. She didn't get to see that face. She skipped out on all that will no way.
Speaker 2: Picture those hybernating bears. Fifteen. Well, I had COVID plus a newborn. I can't even I'm like unrecognizable to myself. I'm on that journey too.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I just started the GPL gp L one injections, the weight loss medicine, like I just started one. It's the megalitudegalitude that everything that you would work for me before no longer works postpartum, two babies in I guess, and being in my late thirties now, so I have admitted that I needed a little extra boost, So I'll let y'all know how that goes. I just did my first little injection on Saturday. So this is fresh, okay, we very fresh for you? Well fingers crumb, but I will be walking and eating right too, not just taking that doing the shots. Yeah, all right, Well should we take a little break and come back with brown boost, brown break.
Speaker 1: Let's do it?
Speaker 2: Just do we? All right? Be right backba fams, All right, we are back. We're gonna do brown boost brown break. And I don't need to tell y'all what that's all about. If we're boosting, we're happy about it. If we're breaking, we could use less of it. Like we're done, we're fed up. Who wants to go first? Oh?
Speaker 3: I can go first. I mentioned a little bit about what I'm doing this week for work, but the brown boost for me is I am hopping on a plane to go to Denver, Colorado, to testify and support of a bill there that is proposing that we require financial literacy in every public school in the state of Colorado. And the cool thing about the Colorado specifically is that Denver Public Schools is a really large urban district and they've already done this. So like a lot of the people who are like, oh, we can't do it, it's gonna be too difficult, the scheduling, the this, the that, and then it's like, well, actually, just take a look at Denver public schools. They've already been doing it. So you have a model for how to do it right here. So there's really no excuse and that has really been helpful.
Speaker 2: Good for you, you getting miles for all this traveling. You could tease your.
Speaker 3: Own I love my old job. I had to book with the company.
Speaker 2: But this is that's annoying putting it all on my car. I think they get that now. They want you to like get the points. Yes it's so great, but yes, also your your public advocacy and all that work is amazing.
Speaker 3: It is all of it great.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: All right, Chris, I'm putting you in the hot seat because my break is going to be a little bit longer.
Speaker 1: Okay, well mind beah. So uh, you know it's gonna be a boost this week. And one of the things that kind of led me to move it up here to San Francisco was to be in a more like social environment. I feel like at home so isolated because you know, and like everything so far. So people are like I might find to sit in traffic to come hang out with you, and I'm like, I don't want to drive an hour and a half it comes to you, so you just don't do it like terrible. But here everything is so much easier to get around. People end up doing things together a lot more often. And so Berna, Berna, and that who you've had here, Hey Berna. Yeah, she I don't know if she wants me to talk about this mo I'm talking. But anyways, she was in a sketch writing program and so she because Berna's hilarious somebody.
Speaker 2: She is that makes me so happy.
Speaker 1: Yes, the funniest people I've ever met. And so she's in this program and at the end of this course, they actually write these, uh, these sketches and then they get performed by actors at a local little comedy spot here, and so it's like down the street, went over there and we got to meet up with her, her boyfriend, some of her friends and I know too, I've become friends with and we all got together and we watched her some of her skits, and then our sketches and some of the other sketches of the other people in the program get performed. And it was hilarious, let me tell you, because you know, I was nervous going in. You know, you go, I'm going to support a friend, but you don't know it. Yeah, you don't know what you're getting into.
Speaker 2: It really could.
Speaker 1: It was so good. It was so good.
Speaker 2: Murna's did she performed or she wrote the sketch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, performed? Men done this. But they had this really great group of this like improv group that was up there that they just got the scripts that day and like right before they got there, and they had the scripts out obviously because they didn't memorize them, and we're going through performing the one by one and they were killing it. The sketches that they wrote were so hilarious that it was Bernard had had us dying up there. So I was that's my boots because that was so fun to get to support a friend. But I also get to see their work and it'd be like amazing, like because of course it would be amazing if bern is doing it. But yeah, that was my boost because I had a great time. It was It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that you make me want to doing the work to build your own community.
Speaker 2: I love it and moving to where you have that community support because yeah, I missed those days. It was so much easier. I can still get down to the city and see people. But yeah, it's definitely it's just easy, easy and free, and I'm happy that you got to be there to support her. We love you Berner the best. I will say, Chris, I don't compliment you often, except I did compliment your shirt. I do like it.
Speaker 1: I was shocked. I was waiting for the inside.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was the first time I noticed dudes to wear like something besides a T shirt or like a button down. I do notice, and I'm like, oh interesting. I'm always like plucking out little ideas for for bay. But what was I gonna say nice about you?
Speaker 1: Clearly mean it. You already forget like a well.
Speaker 2: Rounded dude, I will say, like you do. You're doing the work, You're like getting well rounded. You're getting the health and lifestyle, you got the mental health aspect, and you recognize the importance of friends and relationships and those are not things that you know we can't like take for granted. Just men. That's your prioritizing. I mean, and you could just answer for answer for all of them. It's Women's History Month. What can I say and march just say yes, ma'am, yes, ma'am, yes, that's the energy. I really did, your highness, I thank you because I am so high on a pedestal. Oh god, I want to get to my boost because this is going to be a special one. I have a book here, can you see it? I have my blur thing on. So this book is called Flip the Table, speaking of activists, Yan Elliott. No it's not here. Yeah, I'll put it on the screen because that's so annoying. So this is called Flip the Table, The Everyday Disruptor's Guide to finding courage and making change. It is by Alencia Johnson, whose name y'all may not recognize, but who has been behind some of the you know, most consequential elections and election campaigns of our time. I am going to roll right now, even though you and Chris you're not gonna be able to hear it. I'm going to do a quick little interview with the author, Alencia Johnson, and air that so that y'all can hear about this book. You can't plan when to have books like this get published, but I just can't think of a better time because this is like probably four years in the making, and for it to come out right now, it's just such good timing and she's going to be on tour. So if y'all want to go to flipthetablesbook dot com.
Speaker 3: I love it. I'm so excited to read this. I'm just adding into my book list right now, Flip the Tables.
Speaker 2: Love it, can't wait, can't wait to have her on And you guys are going to hear a little bit from her now and then go run out and get the copy of her book because it is so important to support our writers who actually get on the shelves because they don't often look like us. All right, the a fam. I am really excited to share this week's Brown Boost with you. I've never done this before. This is a brown ambition. First, my boost is here. I brought my boost to work today and her name is a Lindsia Johnson and she is fabulous. She has a new book that I have been reading and deeply enjoying, especially at a time like this. The book is called Flip the Tables, The Everyday Disruptor's Guide to Finding Courage and Making Change. And it's here and I need y'all to go pick up your copy.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Why we were just talking a little bit about this, Elencia just because it's the message that we need right now. But let me tell you about my new friend, slash human boost Me. Lincia Johnson is an award winning social impact advisor and cultural commentator. She founded ten sixty three West broad which is a media and social impact consultancy, which basically means she has had her hands in many, many consequential campaigns over the years, including advising the presidential campaigns of Vice President Kamala Harris. Should have been President Kamala Harris, I'll say President Joe Biden, Senator Elizabeth Warren. Oh, we stand Lizzie Warren over here. Yes, I love her. Oh, the CFPB her baby, I'm just distraught, all right, Focus Mandy and President Barack Obama. In addition to her work with leading advocacy group, she's regularly seen on MSNBC, CNN, ABC, She's been featured all over the media, and she's a proud member of the Delta Sigma Theta. So we're already. I'm not gonna lie. If I could go back and pledge, I think I'd be a Delta. I think I'm old enough now to choose. I wasn't sure in college. Yeah, choose when all my favorite. I mean no offense, but like I'm not even I can't do it. I'm gonna get in trouble. All my favorites are Delta's. Is that why you're so amazing? I just something about y'all. You're just I mean, I don't want to like create a monolith, but just genuinely approachable, kind, good hearted, but still badass. You know what I mean. Yeah, it's about that business. Well, welcome to the show, Alensia. Thank you so much for joining on Brown Ambition and being my boost.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me and reading the book and being like creating the space for me to have this conversation.
Speaker 2: Can you believe it's out in the world.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, it is my baby that came to me. We were talking a little bit about the pandemic. It came to me in that early pandemic haze and it is finally here, which is so wild.
Speaker 2: What I like about the book as you start by talking about how we can be, how we need to learn how to disrupt ourselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: In all of my career from presidential campaigns to working for a planned parentheads national office, and I was constantly getting the question of how do I create more impact in the world and how do I have more courage like you and be brave like you? And I was like, hmm, I actually don't see myself as this way. I just have found myself moving through the world and the way that God has led me to. But I was also feeling a bit stuck, like having all of these accolades and all these positions, and I was like, well, then why do I feel so stuck If I'm this person that people are looking to for guidance and courage, but me myself, I can't get out of my own way. What's happening here? And who am I holding back in myself and others by not really living out my dreams? And then I realized that it is so connected to our community and advancing our community, and so look, Mandy, I had to sit with myself and really sit with the things that I had been running from, the things that I talked about in therapy, the things I had like all the theory for I'm a virgo in four houses, like I can theorize everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, nobody knows they're signed like a virgo knows their sign exactly.
Speaker 4: And I said, oh, Hey, girl, you got to feel these things, you got to go through these things, and how connected the going through was connected to me living and my purpose.
Speaker 5: And so it really showed me that in order for us to show.
Speaker 4: Up in our community is the way that we're supposed to to do the thing that God has called us to do in the world, We've got to actually first be who were called to be. And in order to get there, we got to face the mirror quite a bit, and we got to, you know, acknowledge sometimes the red flag is you, but also sometimes we have to figure out how to answer the question. There's a whole chapter in there, and I love it so much because it reads me for filth, but it pushes you to answer the question who are we? Unattached to our resumes and accolades, Like literally, who are we?
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty clear, you know, as I'm writing my book to my editor and I have been working closely on like just making sure that I'm oozing off the page, which is not hard to do because I love just writing with my authentic voice. But something that really is apparent to me is your faith, and your faith is so grounded in this book. I mean, you open up the book talking a little bit about your faith. And then the epilogue again you acknowledge, you know, if Jesus can get up and keep moving, then so can we, And can you talk a little bit about Well, do I want to skip to faith yet?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I want to backtrack because I'm the boss, because I want to know what were those things in therapy that you were battling and what do you mean you were stuck? Do you mean like career wise?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was a combination of things, right, it was so on the personal front. I was in the middle of a move at the beginning of the pandemic. It was right when Senator Elizabeth Warren ended her presidential campaign and the beginning of this global pandemic.
Speaker 5: Senator Elizabeth Warren's campaign was my last.
Speaker 4: Like actual like W two job, And so I was sitting there kind of fun employed, as I called it that after like the Obama campaign when I was in my twenties, but in your thirties it's fun?
Speaker 5: Is that as fun? It's not as cute anymore?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah.
Speaker 5: So after about a few weeks of like, okay, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: I was like, do I want to go out of my own do I want to go back and house somewhere, Do I want to take this job on the Biden campaign? Like what do I want to do for myself? But I was also still conflicted with feeling as though I had to do what everyone else measured success to be. At the same time, Mandy, I was still dealing with a lot in my personal life. I was I picked up some weight and some unhealthy habits on a campaign, I was cycling through situationships that there were some like friendships I needed to really reevaluate. There was some family stuff that like I was just kind of putting in the back of my mind and not really realizing how it was impacting me. And so all of these things were just bubbling up, and I took the time and that's a privilege to have the time at the beginning of the pandemic, and then to start working for myself to really work through those things and realizing that not working through those things and those feelings is what was making me feel stuck, is what was making me feel like I had to chase success on other people's terms when I didn't want to be on the booked in busy hamp Surreel anymore. I wanted to be in a position to where I work the way that I wanted to, but also, you know, set myself up well financially as well as most importantly, really tending to my personal life in a way that I'm not even gonna say I was ignoring. I was running from. And so that's why I was feeling stuck. It was a combination of so many things, and some of it really started with me having to stop being so much of a people pleaser, right because even when I announced my consultancy, I got tons of people like, Oh, You're gonna build this big agency, and I was like, I don't really like managing a lot of people, Like I like being creative.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's right, the magical entrepreneur we must all become when we launch our own business. Yeah, talk about that, like oh are you using this?
Speaker 5: Who are your clients?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, whoa seed funding?
Speaker 4: You want?
Speaker 2: A VC?
Speaker 4: Like what?
Speaker 2: I just got the domain? Like what do you want for me? Like Alsie Lindsay Johnson dot com. You know that's what I want for now.
Speaker 5: I'm good with my like three or four clients, Like we're good.
Speaker 4: So that's the moment like being stuck and those places that overlapped and you know, impacted each other.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that that whole expression stuck. I hear it all the time because I do a lot of work with women in their careers, and that's even a phrase I use a lot. And it's almost like, sometimes it's not that you're stuck, it's that you're kind of like on a conveyor belt that you don't know how to get off of, and it feels like like one of those walking runways and you're just stuck, like you may want to stop at the Starbucks, but you're just passing by it, and like you're on the train already versus like getting off, and it takes maybe longer, and it's more grueling, especially if you're at JFK or Atlanta Airport, you know, if I can take the analogy further, And yeah, but that walking conveyer belt, it's nice, you know where you're going, you know where the endpoint is, but it can be seductive. And yeah, I think honestly, your thirties is the era of getting off that conveyor belt for a lot of people and choosing the stops that you're gonna make. Okay, so you've taken us to the pandemic and now bringing it back to the book. So you're starting to disrupt yourself, and you're starting to disrupt sort of the vision that you had for yourself in your career. And then what's the next step after that? Once we sort of like get to a place where we're not afraid to shake things up personally, what's the next step for folks?
Speaker 4: Well, and that's why I figured, if we start with ourselves and you built this courage and confidence to be who you want to be, live your own vision, that kind of confidence exudes everywhere, then you're not as scared to do the interventions that are every day. So you know, obviously, in my career, I've met so many people who quit their jobs and say they're rent for office or start an organization. And I don't think change has to be all of that. And plus I don't think everybody should do that. There are some people who have and it's great, like teachers who have become elected and things like that. But quite frankly, Corey Bush is amazing, right, But then there are some people who quite frankly, they should probably stay CEOs with.
Speaker 2: These big firms, don't you wish they would stay ninety five, you know what I mean. Some people should just stay in your glass castle, out of our.
Speaker 5: Way, and so and so, if you're staying in your lane, what can you do? Can you figure out a way to spend your privilege?
Speaker 4: Can you figure out a way to expand your capacity for understanding humanity? And so then you're gonna look get like the immigration fight differently. You're going to look at the labor movement differently. You're going to look at these things as not necessarily huge movements that you're never going to be able to unpact, but you'll see yourself as a small part of this larger movement, right, like a small part that is necessary understanding that a thousand people doing small acts of disruption is so much more impactful than everybody sitting around waiting for that one person to take that one mantle and do everything themselves, right, and so it allows you to have the courage to in your daily life figure out ways that you can disrupt at work, with your family and with resources that quite frankly, don't cost money. It might cost you some position or privilege, or some even just discomfort, but it actually doesn't cost you a lot to actually intervene and be those daily disruptors.
Speaker 2: So you talk about in the third part of your book, Disruption of Community. I really like the part where you talk about spending your privilege. Can you talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 4: So I spent a lot of time at Plan Parent had I worked at Plan Parent's office.
Speaker 5: For six years.
Speaker 2: How are your colleagues, your former colleagues, how are they?
Speaker 5: They are going through it?
Speaker 2: They've been going through it, but even now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they have been.
Speaker 4: But working at Plan Parent and the Reproductive Freedom movement, I worked with a lot of white women right, and there were a lot of conversations and I talk about it in the book, a lot of conversations about how white women can use their position and power and privilege to expand the table and make sure that women of colors voices were not only just listened to, but resourced right and leadership positions that were that were supported. And so I share that those stories, stories about Cecil Richards and Senator Warren.
Speaker 5: Because I think when people hear in peace, I know, my goodness.
Speaker 4: I'm actually going to a memorial for her tomorrow talk about when she almost got us arrested one time.
Speaker 5: At a rally at Texas.
Speaker 2: Right, it's very on brand for her, what about what about as?
Speaker 4: And God rest her soul? And I'm so grateful to have worked with her so closely. And so I think when people here spend your privilege, you think about white women, right, using their privilege being white women, to intervene or to be part of these movements. But I had to step back and say, well, all of us, depending on the setting, we have a certain privilege, right, whether it's socio economic, whether it is education, whether it is I don't know, whatever religion you are. I'm a Christian and that is the dominant religion in the United States. That is a privilege in certain settings, right, I should speak up for other faiths. Whether you are heterosexual, and there's conversations around what's happening to queer and trans.
Speaker 5: People, that is a privilege.
Speaker 4: And I break it down that all of us, at some point in our lives do have some privilege that we could spend to build a better community and show up for folks who don't have the privilege of position that we do.
Speaker 2: And that's a really important point. When you say minority so often, it kind of loses its meaning but literally, we are like this big compared to the majority. We can't do it alone. It's just it's nonsense. You can't. The ninety two is of what of thirteen percent? You know of seven percent if you look at women. So yeah, it's just very I just appreciate that, yeah, very much so.
Speaker 4: And to that point too, Mandy, speaking of the ninety two percent of the seven percent, right can't do everything. It's also why we have to be okay with taking care of ourselves. There's a lot of talk about how self care what, as Audrey Lord said, is an act of political warfare, right, and words that really the words that got me out of bed two days after Vice President Harris lost the election were Alice Walker's words that said, you have to keep a healthy soul to face constant oppression, and that I think sums up the grace and permission that we are giving ourselves as black women to say it's actually okay for me to take care of myself because this is a constant state of oppression that I'm in, and we are the pillars of our community. So if we are not okay, and I talk about this a lot in the book, if we're not okay, the work that we're doing in our communities will not be the work that it needs to be right, and so it's so imperative that we take care of ourselves also knowing that we can't save everyone. And so at the end of the day, I think we got to save ourselves first before we even try to figure out a solution that saves other people.
Speaker 5: And I'm in a place right.
Speaker 4: Now getting in deep, deep, deep community with people. And as long as we can ride together and work together, and I think those small communities begin to create bigger communities.
Speaker 5: That's how we get through this.
Speaker 4: But we have to be okay first, and part of taking care of ourselves also allows for us to treat each other better.
Speaker 2: I will bring it back to your faith that I'm thinking about how you pray for and love as a Christian for people that you don't agree with, that do things that you don't agree with. Then it's like we got to you know, do you so? Do you love the eight percent? Are you just like cool with that?
Speaker 5: You asked me, like very directly, and now you are challenging me. I mean I did name the books and my favorite story of Jesus in the Bible flipping over tables.
Speaker 2: How is that a story in the Bible. I'm a heathen, so you got to you gotta educate me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's it is a story in the Bible. It's in the Bible three times a month.
Speaker 2: Not the lady from Real Housewives.
Speaker 1: No, that's not it.
Speaker 5: It's not. But I love Real Housewives. And so that's also why this works, right.
Speaker 2: Either one, either one, you're kind of like getting it.
Speaker 5: Either way, you get it.
Speaker 2: You see the Jesus, sir Teresa, whatever her datement is. Yeah, keep going, that's exactly it.
Speaker 4: That story kept coming to me, and I kept asking myself what got Jesus so crunk that he was flipping over tables? Like, that's the Jesus that I'm so interested in, that's the red text Jesus that actually like aligns with my political ideology. And then I like scaled back and I said, oh, what are the proverbial tables that we have to.
Speaker 5: Flip over in our communities, in our in our own lives. And my faith is such a big part of me.
Speaker 4: My dad's a pastor, and I honestly know, and I talk about a lot in the book, it is because of my faith that I'm able to do all the things that I do, and I realize me talking about my faith so boldly is disruptive in the political space because conservatives and rights well sit the other side, doesn't they do Jesus feel like they make us feel like Jesus is this like really judgmental person when the reality is he would probably be deported if he.
Speaker 2: Was living on earth right now, sister friend wouldn't make it through airport security. Let's just say listen.
Speaker 4: And so it was really important for me to talk about my faith in a way that felt natural to me, because just by doing that, it disrupts this notion of what a person of faith who has these strong.
Speaker 5: Beliefs on social justice and politics could look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean sometimes I am jealous of people who have such deep faith because it is a it's a talisman or I don't know if that's sacrilegious to say, but it is something that burns within you and gives you that hope and you kind of are able to give it away to a higher power. I'm not saying that. And I think religion period, just all the various kinds of religions my family, I grew up my aunt and great uncle or Baptist preachers in Georgia, and my mom's side is Irish Catholic.
Speaker 4: So one of the things, Mandy, that I've been thinking about that I want to study or just get deeply rooted in is the stories and the lessons of how our ancestors got through the civil rights movement reconstruction during the period of enslavement, because I feel as though there were so many, so much of the solutions, so many of the solutions that we're looking for, we could actually find from our ancestors. And one of the things that I realized is in order to get through all of that required a very deep faith, whether in God or through Christianity or something else, that there was a very deep spiritual practice and a very deep faith that you know, people are constantly saying, well, we're not our ancestors, we may not be built like our ancestors, And I said, well, it first starts with having a spiritual fortitude. And that is the reminder for me to continue to like deepen my faith. And as you're saying, you know, whether or not you are a religious person or what you believe in, just having that spiritual connection is so incredibly powerful, and it keeps you anchored when everything looks like chaos around you and quite frankly, you don't see.
Speaker 5: A way forward.
Speaker 2: I simply just think about the word love, like just believe in love. For me, God is love. And my friendships have become I mean, I was really, to your point, tending to my friendships in the past few years and really nurturing them. And it's that to me is like something that I can really root some faith in. Is that this power of community? And I just I love I don't think there's a single person who's joined me on the show since the New Year and hasn't mentioned community and connection in some way. And I just think if there's one great thing to come out of all this chaos that we are in the middle of, it's that I'm finding other people who are on the same wavelength and I'm opening my arms. And I thank you for opening your arms to me and to be a fam and for sharing this wonderful book with us. Alencia, I'm going to see you in New York. I got I reserved my spot for your talk. Where is it going to be a I don't know. I didn't even check. I was just like sign me up, Oh my go, thank you so excited.
Speaker 4: It will be at the Barnes and Noble Upper West Side with Abby Phillip.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the one that's going to be great. Congratulations. I'm so glad you're doing like a real proper and you're gonna be in DC. I got I have a lot of I have a community called the Mandy money Makers, and I know I have a lot of d MB makers. So I posted it in our slack and like three or four of them already said that they bought tickets to see you and enjoy in in DC.
Speaker 5: So it's going to be great. And those tickets are like they're almost sold out.
Speaker 2: So no, of course it was really it was really cool of her to go through all that drama and get you know, her name even more in the press to like drive up your sales.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was nice.
Speaker 4: I text her the morning all the news drop, you know, we were talking. But then a few days later I was like, here's some good news for you. We've got over three hundred RSVPs.
Speaker 2: Like that's incredible.
Speaker 4: I want to see her in love on her and she's she's a disruptor her. Yeah, Cabby and I'm going on tour with Lovey and Chicago and Jessica Nabango and Detroit, all disruptors, amazing dope women.
Speaker 2: Thank you, ba Fan for listening. Don't forget to go pick up Alynsia's book here, it is right here. I'm just gonna imagine I'm putting it on the screen. And also, your website is flipthtables book dot com.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 2: Congratulations. Thank you for sharing your light with us. Well, I hope you enjoyed my conversation with a Lindsaya Johnson. Thank you to jan Ellie and Chris for joining me for another Brown Table and ba Faan, don't forget to like. If you're on YouTube, like and subscribe. Don't just be watching our stuff and not give us that little thumbs up and subscribe. Let's go tell it friend to tell a friend. Tig us on social media, We're at Brand and Mission Podcast where we at oh on Instagram at Brand and Mission Podcast. We are at Brannamission podcast dot com. If you want to check us out, submit a question for the show, or just say hello and until next time, Bye,