Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. We made it to a Thursday. I think we did. It's our one.
Speaker 2: We got football coming up tonight. We'll talk about that. Phone calls are always welcome.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, that's our streaming service. You can watch this show if you'd like, our radio affiliates around the country as well. Play the day pole question stat of the Day Operator Tyler sitting by taking your phone calls eight seven to seven three. DP Show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Mike Florio was with his last hour yesterday. He sounded angry that he had an MVP vote, and I'm thinking I was honored to vote on the awards when I was covering the NBA.
Speaker 3: I loved it. Mike.
Speaker 2: It sounded like it was a burden. You know, I got to deal with the Pro Bowl and the MVP. I go, I'll take your MVP vote. I love it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: It does mean that you talk about it a lot. You have to justify who you voted for. I'm fine with that. I like that the voting is transparent. I think it should be transparent. Why did you vote? For somebody. There's so much attached to this. If you think about the conversations that we've had and other shows have about the MVP. How many hours if you fill up days of conversation about this. It's important, and I think you should be transparent with who you vote for. I have no problem with that. When I voted for the Heisman, I vote for the Heisman. I tell people this is who I voted for when I voted for MVP. And I remember I voted for Michael Jordan just about every year. But I got called out by Salt Lake City Journalist and they wanted me to go on record as why I picked Michael Jordan. I said, because he'll win the championship. And then they beat Carl Malone and Utah, and look, Carl Malone had a wonderful year, won an MVP, two MVPs. I think Charles Barkley when he won the MVP, I still voted for Michael Jordan because I look at value and so I think when you get that opportunity to be part of history, that you got to vote for somebody or you didn't vote for somebody, it's an honor. Floria was like, oh, I got so many things to do here, Mike, Mike Chill.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paulie, we were discussing it over here as you brought this topic up. Your career as a sports media person. At first you're honored, then you get to a point in your career where you're burdened by these things, and then at maybe the back half of your career you're appreciative or grateful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved it. I'd still love to vote for the NBA honors. In fact, you know the fact that I said to the commissioner, let's make it positionless. If you're going to have these first team, second team, third teams, Basketball doesn't have positions anymore. In fact, even going back, we were talking to this about this yesterday we were shooting hoops and uh, it was probably during a commercial breaker after the show, and seton goes, why are they called guards? Why are they called forwards? Why do you have a small forward and then you have a power forward and you have the center, Like who came up with You're going to be a guard? Okay, I don't know, Yes.
Speaker 6: I mean a center, I get yeah, I get okay. The tall guy probably played under the hoop back of the day. But what is it about a guard, Like, why would a guard be the person who brings the ball up the floor.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're still trying to figure out why Bob Cousy was a magician with the ball and nobody else was able to think about doing with Bob Kosey.
Speaker 6: By the way he dribbled, he used his body to guard the ball away from people stealing it. Okay, maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 2: And then the guys who were forward or very forward, they got forward to their forward thinking, advance the ball forward.
Speaker 3: Very forward when they're in a social setting.
Speaker 6: Not a scene anything like it.
Speaker 2: Although there's a couple of times when you look at old video. I know I'm off target here, but when you look at old footage, sometimes you'll just see somebody and you go, oh, who's that. You go, that's Elgin Baylor. Wow he played different than anybody else. Yeah, he did. And then you'll see Bob Coosey. Then you'll see Bill Russell, and then you'll see Wilt Chamberlain, and then you'll see Jerry West and Oscar and you go those are they playing the same game. Yes, they're all playing basketball. They're just playing it.
Speaker 3: Differently.
Speaker 2: You could see the modern era being ushered in where you had these guys who were dribbling like this and the announcer sounded like this, look at him, he's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Look at that backdoor pass.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, you'd have Jerry West actually taking a jump shot, Coozy behind his back, Bill Russell on a fast break. He'd get to the top of the key, take one dribble and lay it in. Wilt scoring fifty. A game like you could actually see the changing of the guard and forward in center right in front of you. All right, got off on a tangent there, welcome to my life here.
Speaker 3: I do love those.
Speaker 6: At some point, there was like a moment in the NBA where a guy was like dribbling with one hand and then.
Speaker 3: Switched to the other hand. He's using his left hand.
Speaker 4: What is he doing?
Speaker 3: Like that moment happened and it was like, well, this guy can dribble with two hands. That's unfair, it's not legal.
Speaker 4: Both hands. He's jumping while he shoots.
Speaker 3: That shot has become the jump shot.
Speaker 4: Oh, you could tell which guys were milkman during the off season, all right, But Jerry West and like the great ones, no, they're playing in any era. But the other guys, Oh, do you want to play for the Celtics? Why not?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there are dudes that look like like they were just dropped in from like outer space based on the way they're playing, because their game is so advanced.
Speaker 3: It's like their time travelers.
Speaker 6: And they like, how the heck did that guy just jump from Like he took one dribble from half court and somehow.
Speaker 3: Laid the ball in.
Speaker 1: How can he be that?
Speaker 2: But okay, will history be kind to James Harden? When Harden did what he did to create separation with his jump shot, remember, and we thought, well that you got to call that that's that's traveling, and the NBA said, no, it's not. He created something that had never been created before. Dirk Novitski with his step back jumper when he puts his leg into your chest there, Like, there's certain moments where you go, oh, somebody created something different there right in front of us. You know, certain pictures with what they throw or how they throw. You know, Nolan Ryan to be able to throw one hundred miles an hour and you're like wow, and then everybody throws a hundred miles an hour but I think that's that's what's interesting sometimes when you see the evolution right in front of you, but none more apparent than basketball, where you're actually seeing guys who are playing the sport differently than a guy who's playing against them.
Speaker 3: Eight seven to seven to three DP.
Speaker 2: Show email address dpat dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show the NFL playoff weekend.
Speaker 3: I'm focused on Monday night.
Speaker 2: You got the Vikings and the Rams, and there is a chance that they'll move that because obviously with what's going on in Los Angeles, that maybe they move that to Arizona, which to me makes the most sense. You have to play the game. You have to play that game on Monday night. In fact, it's not even fair to the teams to play on Monday night because everybody else is going to be playing on Saturday and Sunday. But you know, they're filling up TV time and people are spending a lot of money, and we've already seen the NFL go.
Speaker 3: Hey, how about three games in eleven days? Guys?
Speaker 2: Huh even two games and eleven would be a lot, but they crammed in three for a couple of teams there, So I don't think they're too concerned about who gets an advantage and who doesn't. But if you move it to Arizona, you can still travel there, certainly drive there from Los Angeles. People in Los Angeles have other things to worry about than a RAMS home game. But I get it. I would probably move it to Arizona. Announce that you're moving it now. Give the fan base for the Vikings the opportunity to change their plans. And if you are in Los Angeles and you get that opportunity and you want to get out of Los Angeles, you can go to Phoenix. But that's the one thing I'm curious about as far as just logistically. Then you have the other games coming up this weekend, and we've talked about what's at stake. There's a lot at stake for some of these games and some of these players. Now, if Lamar Jackson doesn't win this game, I think they're a ten point or nine and a half point favorite against Pittsburgh, it's not the end of the world. If he wins the MVP and he bows out in the first round, okay, it's going to stay there with him. He's still going to be a first ballot Hall of famer. I don't think it changes anything other than your perception of him. If Russell Wilson doesn't win this game or doesn't play well in this game, what's it mean for his future. Mike Tomlin's not going anywhere unless Mike Tomlin wants to go someplace else if he would lose this game, and they are, you know, almost a double digit underdog. If Sam Darnold doesn't play well, if the Vikings bow oum, does that impact him. So there's a lot of games within the games that you know, I'm going to keep an eye on that. There's storylines there. If not just who's going to advance in the playoffs. We're going to talk to Brady Quinn, former NFL quarterback, former Notre Dame quarterback, you know, join us coming up.
Speaker 3: Former Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Safety, the Ravens Pro Bowl safety Kyle Hamilton will join us, and Greg McElroy of the Mothership he will join us a little bit later on as well. I watched basketball last night. I watched the Calves against the thunder. Are the Calves at the point now where you have to acknowledge them because for a while it's.
Speaker 3: Like, man, they're good, They're good.
Speaker 2: Are these shows going to talk about the cabal Leers. No, they're talking about Lebron and the Lakers struggling, Golden State struggling. Maybe a little Wemby in there, maybe a Joe Ellenbiid comment, Kawhi Leonard, Cavs won again. Okay, Well they're now thirty two and four, whether you want to acknowledge them or talk about them. Marvin and I were talking about how many All Stars will come from that team. He thinks four. I don't think you'll have four. I think you'll have two. But they're a good team. They are a really good team. You have to acknowledge thirty two and four.
Speaker 7: You do.
Speaker 2: You probably can't name the starting lineup, and that's okay, But if you get an opportunity to watch them, they're a good team.
Speaker 3: Shoot the three. Mitchell's good.
Speaker 2: Remember when Donovan Mitchell it was announced that he was staying with the Cabs. I think people thought, well, he's going to end up with the Knicks, and then all of a sudden, it's he's staying there. That's his team, that's his town. Thirty two and four, The Thunder are thirty and six. Yes, Marvin, so.
Speaker 4: To over Unders what two and a half for All Stars, you have two a half four?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, Cleveland thirty two and four. So there have been four teams in NBA history that have posted a better record through the first thirty six games of a season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, I'm not done yet.
Speaker 4: I'm excited.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A Golden State they were thirty four and two. The nineteen ninety five Bulls, oh, the LA Lakers seventy one, seventy two, and seventy six ers in nineteen sixty six all were thirty three and three.
Speaker 3: They're lumped in there. Stead of a day stand a.
Speaker 9: Day stead outa day stand outa day, this is the Stule of the Day.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day, brought to you by Penny America, the official trading cards of this program. So college football tonight, it's Notre Dame by one and a half against Penn State. We'll talk to Brady Quinn about that, Seaton. Let's poll question for the first hour of the program.
Speaker 3: How about we go with tonight.
Speaker 6: You would like to see dot dot dot a Notre Dame win, a Penn State win, or them both lose.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think you have as much vitriol attached to Penn State. They haven't been good enough for you to hate, although Notre Dame hasn't been good enough to hate as much as they're hated. But this is a fan base that you you kind of grew into this, you were born into this. Yeah, Like, if you're Irish Catholic, it's like you're rooting for Notre Dame. You're Irish, you've root for note right. Well, I grew up in Ohio, so I love Notre Dame. But I was an Ohio State fan, and you know so much so that you know, Sunday morning you get the re air with Lindsey Nelson and Paul Horning and they'd recap the game in an hour.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: Got out of going to church as I convinced my mom that was kind of like going to church.
Speaker 3: I'm watching Notre Dame. Yeah see yeah, that's like.
Speaker 6: Why people they was why does Notre Dame get this? Why does Notre Dame get to be independ Why do they get to be on NBC? What do they get to be because of where there's a lot of us Irish Catholics. I have no connection to Notre Dame whatsoever other than being born Irish Catholic, and everyone in my family loves Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, none of us could get into Notre Dame, but that didn't stop us from rooting for Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: No it name's not a very big school. Really.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, this first home, we're brought to you by Mayco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco. We bring your car back to life with affordable paint chimes and like collision repairs and get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better make at Mako. We'll take a break. We'll settle on a poll question here. Phone calls are always welcome eight seven to seven three DP show. A little later on the Ravens Pro Bowl, Safety Kyle Hamilton Greg McElroy of the Mothership. I think he's calling the Friday night game. Is that correct, Todd?
Speaker 1: Uh, he's We got Faler and Herbie doing the Friday game, okay.
Speaker 4: And third McIlroy's doing tonight's go Oh.
Speaker 3: He's doing tonight's game. Oh okay, Well, thank you so. Chris Fowler's Valor is.
Speaker 4: Joining us tomorrow in the preview. Ohios, date Texas and mcleroy' previewing tonight's game with us today.
Speaker 3: Look at you. You've been busy. You've been busy. Appreciate that. That's why you're most valuable down in and off to a great start.
Speaker 4: For twenty twenty.
Speaker 10: Do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we'll take a break. Rady Quinn will join us next here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 11: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 9: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 9: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll settle on a poll question. Get to your phone calls. I keep saying that there's a chance that Dion Sanders coaches the Raiders. There's a chance. I've been saying that I have no information there. I thought Antonio Pierce was going to be fired. I thought Tom Brady was going to be the sounding board. I think all of those things. Well, we know that Pierce got fired, we know that Tom is involved in this. We know that Tom reached out to Bill Belichick, which I found when you love to have heard that conversation. Now, for about a four hour window yesterday, it felt like every team that had an opening had reached out to Bill Belichick. I don't know why this year, and they's got a job at North Carolina and he has a buyout that's ten million dollars and I think that goes until June June first, and then I think it's a million dollars after that. So I don't know what the conversation was like, but I would love to have heard that that Tom is calling Bill. Hello, Hey, coach, it's Tom Tom Tom Brady, would you like to coach the Raiders?
Speaker 3: Is this a prank phone?
Speaker 10: Cang?
Speaker 3: No coach? Love to have you come in. Dion says that he would coach.
Speaker 2: He would have interest in the NFL if he can coach both of his sons.
Speaker 3: Why no Schador can play.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Shiloh can play at the NFL level, but you're saying there's a chance.
Speaker 3: I still don't rule that out.
Speaker 2: He's Brady Quinn, Fox College Football Analyst, Big Noon Kickoff and Two Pros and a Cup of Joe, the radio show that precedes hours on Fox Sports Radio, and Brady Quinn joining us on the program. How nervous are you for this game coming up tonight?
Speaker 10: Well, first off, let me answer that question by saying this Fritzie sounds very much like Bill Belichick when he calls in for these radio hits. I just want you to know, for a very similar demeanor for Fritzie and Bill Belichick, you almost sound like the same person. But in regards to to game, there's some nerves there. I mean, look, this is a really good Penn State football team. You know, Notre Dame's banged up. I think if you look at the matchup of these two teams, you know it's gonna come down to the effectiveness of running the football and stopping to run. And I think if you look at Penn State, they've got a couple backs and K tron Allen Nick Singleton who's been phenomenal. Their tight end Tyler One will be a part of that rushing attack. And for Notre Name, you know Riley Leonard and Jeremiah Love his health and status is obviously of some concern. He's an incredible player to Darien Price can kind of take over that load along with Williams as well as the freshman. But that's you know, this is gonna be a good game. The spread tight for a reason, and I think it's gonna be potentially a really ugly game to watch, though, Dan, when it's all said and done, defensive football, you know, I think you're going to see a lot of back and forth punting. Special teams will play a role. I'll be shocked if they give Notre Names returners opportunity to actually return the football, given that. If there's one distinct advantage for No. Dame this game, it is their special team's play, especially the way it's been throughout the course of the year. Google kicking hasn't necessarily been as good consistently, but Jeter was great obviously in the most recent game.
Speaker 2: So Brady will be on the field tonight, Urban Meyer, Matt Lioner, Vince Wilfork. That'll be a pregame. You know, I was wondering about or how you thought being a former Notre Dame athlete. James Franklin was at the press conference with Marcus Freeman and he says, Hey, no offense to you, but you know, everybody should be in a conference. So there's only one school that you're talking about when you say everybody should be in a conference.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: Do you see a scenario at any point in the next five years where Notre Dame is in a conference?
Speaker 10: I don't, and I think there's only two ways that hand would be forced. You know. The first would be if they weren't able to play for a national championship in football, if they weren't a part of a conference. So if that ended up being the case, that would force Enter Dame to have to make decision. I think the next thing would be the economics of it. You know, if Notre Dame didn't have a television partner like NBC that is able to you know, single handedly help you know, promote their brand, their school and the university, that would be Probably the other thing is if the economics become so big in favor of joining a conference that you'd be playing at a huge disadvantage because with the NBC contract, the partial affiliation with the ACC, that's just not the case as of now, you know. And in fact, if you look at their advancement through the college football playoffs, while all these other teams are you know, making money, but they have to share with the rest of the conference, Notre Dame pockets all of it. And that's a huge advantage for them, in particular, even you know, not having to play a conference championship game, but then and then having to play a first round game because they're going to be making money off that, not only hosting one if they are good enough to host a game like this season, but also if you're looking at, you know, the subsequent rounds and all the money they'll be keeping it in their pockets.
Speaker 2: This whole thing about and I've railed on this for a while about conference championship games. I know it's a money grab, but every conference either has to have a conference championship game or not. And I wonder if we get to the point where can these conference championship games be a first round bowl game? Can we add more importance to it as opposed to what they're trying to diminish the outcome. Hey, Penn State launch to Oregon, No big deal. You get to still, you know, be a top seed.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering the future of these conference title games.
Speaker 10: To your point, it does feel like it's a money grab, you know, in reality, And I think if you look at the attendance too, in some cases, I mean it's a lot of the fans. It's hard to get probably the environment that you want. Knowing that we now have an expanded playoff and there's going to be an initial home game, or they're gonna be traveling to you know, one of the New Year six games at some point, the quarterfinals, in the semi finals, and then the national championship if you're so lucky to get there. So there's a lot of economics that it's hitting the pockets of fans and some of the teams that are a part of it. But there's also the television portion of it. And I do think you bring up a good point. You know, how necessary are these conference championship games because they felt exclusive to college football? You know, as this model looks closer and closer to the NFL playoff system, you sit there and go, well, they have a regular season where they just determine who wins the division. They don't need to play off with the top two teams at the end of the season to determine that they've already got that figured out. You could do the same thing with the conferences. The only the only tough part about saying that is you only have four teams in a vision, and these conferences now are so big that it's almost an apples the oranges comparison, and looking at, for example, the schedule Ohio State played versus, for example, the schedule Indiana played within the same conference. So because of that, you start to look at those things and go, all right, you know, maybe it's the harder that we thought just determined who the conference champion is and there's going to be a lot of years where you have a tie. I mean the Big Twelve one dude, this back when they didn't have their conference championship game. Then it was the slogan was the one true champion. And then you had Baylor and PCU tie first year of the playoff, and then neither made it in the playoff because the Big Twelve could even decide who their conference head was.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Brady Quinn, Fox Sports college football analyst. He is part of the Orange Bowl Hall of Fame Committee joining us on the program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, handed prestigious.
Speaker 10: Dan, it's a very prestigious I share it. Actually, you have a big part along with the rest of the committee and getting our three selected Hall of Fame inductees in there today. So if it just so happens that even though it's an ESPN broadcast, you know they're gonna have to maybe put a couple of Fox Sports Big New Kickoff guys on TV at some point I may or may not have played a role.
Speaker 2: Then, Okay, so Urban and Matt Lioner and Vince will Fork are going into the Orange.
Speaker 3: Bowl Hall of Fame.
Speaker 10: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you're hoping that you get some kind of acknowledgment on ESPN with the Fox Big Noon kickoff.
Speaker 10: I'm not saying I'm hoping anything. I'm just saying it might be hard to cover a game than not cover, you know, three historic figures in this you know tradition, the history of the Orange Bowl can not include acknowledging that at some point like hey, Urban Meyer and Matt Leoner and Vince Wolfberk are here because they're being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Like it just it seems like if you're ESPN, of granted they make some mistakes, but if you're ESPEN, you probably want to include that at some point the broadcast. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Handicap Ohio State, Texas.
Speaker 10: I would say the Lion's sitting right now at six at this point, I think, you know, again, it comes down to like both these teams playing to their potential. We've seen Ohio State due that the past two weeks and everyone goes, my goodness, that's the best team in the country and it's not even close. And on the flip side, we watched Texas and it feels like at times not that they get disinterested. You know, I'm not going to play on that narrative, but it doesn't feel like they ever play up to their potential. So I don't know if they can find that, if Quinn yours and this offense can can find more of that, consistently, find more of that, like big play ability to break off, you know, versus Ohio State like they did and have so far in this playoff. I mean, it's like between Oregon and Tennessee and they put their foot on the gas. It's like it's not even close. And I obviously have a ton of respect for Dan Lanning the job he did at Organ this year, So that to me, that Ohio State team, it's more about can they continue the momentum. Can they continue to keep playing at the level which they have now the past two games? If they have no one can touch them like this spread, in my opinion, should be like nine and a half. If Ohio State's going to be the team we saw the first two games so far in the playoff.
Speaker 2: What if Quinn Ewers wins the National Championship and then has to leave Texas.
Speaker 10: It's a great hypothetical to throw out there, But if he's leaving Taxes after winning the National Championship, he's going to be going to the draft. Like everyone wants to make this like some big conversation about you know, the arch manning and he's going to be the guy next year, and then that's that's all, you know true. But if I'm quinn yours and in that scenario plays itself out, I'm looking at this quarterback draft class and going hold on a second, right, Chador looks to be the number one guy based on the tape and film and all that, But like, why can't Quinn be the next guy based on these evaluations. You know, he's played really well through his career in big games. He's got the arm strength, he's got the abilities, He's been tough this year playing through injury. I'm just I'm not sure in a year where with the tape that Carson Deck put out there, he's coming off an injury. You know, cam Ord was special and dynamic, but people are gonna have concerns about, you know, operating an NFL offense, all those things that come up that people try to you know, draw and take away from what they see on tape. And so why not if your Quinnyewers try to be a part of this quarterback draft class playing on all that momentum that you would be getting off a national championship.
Speaker 3: Is Riley Leonard an NFL quarterback?
Speaker 10: I think so, you know, look, I think there's still parts of his game that are developing. He reminds me a lot of Ryan Tannano. You know, when you go back to Ryan, who played wide receiver at his time of tax fan them then transition to a quarterback. Now, I think Ryan had you know, in this time at Texas and m displayed himself as much more of a passer at that point. But if you look at Riley, I mean, he's getting to a team in his you know, final year of play, and he's got to learn a new offense, he's got to develop chemistry at these guys, and there's a lot of moving parts to all that. And so I think there's gonna be people who are going to be able to watch the tave and say his incredible athletes, is a good leader, He's obviously tough. He has all these entangles we're looking for off to the size, and he has the arm strength. It's just there's things they got to hone in on in regards to how he sees the field, how he processes, and in particular throwing down the field. You know, that's one of the things that I think stands out to me is they haven't been able to be a successful over ten yards downfield consistently within the offense. And again, there's a lot of reasons to that, but I think he's got the capability of playing at the next level.
Speaker 2: If Bill Belichick asked for advice, what would you tell him?
Speaker 10: Oh? Man, I would tell him, why the hell are you asking me to? Like you already got problems. If you're like, let's just start with this, like like where did you go wrong? Like I'll probably tho back around him, But who's who gave you good advice? Or why who told you to ask me something? I guess the first thing I would say is it's it's so hard because we're assuming he's head coach in North Carolina, right, We're not assuming he's going to potentially leave for an NFL job, which still baffles me that you know, someone assn't hired him in the past two years. If that's the case, I would say the number one thing he has to go find a quarterback, like evaluate the roster and you can, you know, construct the roster through nil and high school recruit and all that, but he needs to find a veteran guy he can get to the portal the best guy possible, and he needs to go attack and get one of these scud guys coming out from high school. And you need to have at least a couple of guys there to provide you depth of ability but also for stability. So that would be the number one thing that I'd say. If you'll get a college game, like I would actually say the college quarterback is more paramount then even like an NFL quarterback to a degree, And people might take issue with that, but I just think the way the game is played nowadays and the way the advantage that the elite quarterback at college gives you over even at the NFL. We got to go up against good defenses, and the offensive line matters even more. There's all these other parts play a factor. I mean, if you have an elite quarterback, like you really can go far. And I think cam Ward's an example of that. Like how many of those other players on Miami this year you look at and saying, well, those guys are draft the board. Those guys are going to be, you know, top picks, and I think without him this year, they're probably a five win team. And then it's traumatically different conversation when cam Moore gets there. So I would say he's got to go address that position first and foremost with an older, experienced guy if he can. If he has to you to the portal, then obviously high school guy.
Speaker 2: Have fun tonight and don't be like, you know, somebody's on the field at ESPN. Are you going to be like jumping behind them and jumping up and you're not going to be waving Okay, no.
Speaker 10: I'll be hard to miss. I'll be wearing my orange jacket down there, so if you looked down, they're like, why why is he wearing orange? Like what? Like not a lot of people know that I'm on the Orange Bowl committee, so's it's always funny to see the response from people when you wear the orange jacket, because they do stand out. It's tremendous marketing, but that always comes with like who are you rooting for? If you're wearing orange. I'm like, well, I've got my endy stuff on underneath, but I'll be wearing an orange jacket during the presentation.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Brady, Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Brady Quinn, Fox college football analyst, part of the Orange Bowl Hall of Fame Committee. Of course, he is a couple of phone calls in here Doug in North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Hi, Doug, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Well, Dan, I have a challenge for you and the boys. But before I get to that, I wanted to set this up by giving you some breaking news, So I was hoping to get the Peter Jennings ABC News music. There it is, then, your North Carolina Bureau has con firm that tomorrow's Meat Friday will feature stump sound oysters from the tops of island here in North Carolina. Three hundred oysters left the Cape Fear region on Tuesday, and our schedule to arrive at the man Cave sometime between now and one o'clock this afternoon. Tyler and I have been working on this for.
Speaker 3: The last oh all right, I've got a researching applause.
Speaker 2: Doug Fritzy says that Doug's not a good caller, but I disagree.
Speaker 8: I know Tyler has been researching ways to prepare these on the trigger, but the most popular ways to eat them raw. So that's my challenge. I want to challenge you, Dan and the Danets to eat one raw oyster live on the air tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have no problem with that. Yeah that's Fritzy. Okay, Fritzy, can you eat a raw oyster?
Speaker 4: I guess we'll find out what happens.
Speaker 3: Okay, Wait, you've never had a wrong oyster.
Speaker 4: I must have along the way when we've gone out.
Speaker 5: I've had oysters before, and I think I've had it where I just ate.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know if you did. I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: And Marvin, you good with an oyster?
Speaker 4: I am, yes, Paul, you know I love them.
Speaker 5: I can't get enough.
Speaker 3: Rise all right, seat, and you're good with oysters? Yeah? Okay, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: We are going to New Orleans in a couple of weeks and down in New Orleans there's a place called Drago's. They make those grilled oysters. Grilled oysters on the tragger will be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well, Doug in North Carolina. I guess he's a supplying tyler. Kept out a secret. I asked him today. I said, you got to go shopping today. He goes, yeah, but he didn't tell me what he was shopping for. Now I know he's getting some oysters being delivered for meat Friday tomorrow.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: I like that, Thank you, Doug. We appreciate that. All right, And we'll eat an oyster live on the air. All right, not a live oyster on the air, but we'll be live on the air when we eat an oyster.
Speaker 3: You want some cocktail sauce, some horse seradish in their time.
Speaker 4: That sounds delicious.
Speaker 2: Okay, it is very good. All right, we'll take a break. We got our Play the Day coming up. More phone calls on the way back after this.
Speaker 1: You are to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 5: Wapp Oh my God, the Play of the day.
Speaker 3: Play this is the play of the day.
Speaker 4: Check this out.
Speaker 3: Garland, lookie looking. Garland now dribbles to the top of the three point r.
Speaker 4: Back's up. Thirty to go.
Speaker 3: Garland into the paint floats, cut.
Speaker 9: It, Addict.
Speaker 3: Jay into the lane.
Speaker 4: Hey never misses.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of the Cavaliers Radio Network. This was the third matchup in NBA history of teams writing double digit winning streaks, and the first since nineteen ninety five. Cleveland is now thirty two and four. That's your play of the day, brought to you by Benedie America. You got the hottest rookies' biggest superstars. The old time grace, the only place to collect them all. Panini Trading Cards, the official trading car guards of the Dan Patrick Show, Instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare and more. Started continue collection now Bendi America dot Net. We'll talk to the Ravens safety Kyle Hamilton coming up next hour, Greg McElroy. He'll be on the call for the game tonight. He will join us as well. Paulie I mentioned this to start the show. Why did James Nasmith? Did James Nasmith come up with the terms guard, forward, and center?
Speaker 5: No, not necessarily, okay, the origin of the word guards, center, and forward were based off They kind of just happened after his rules came basketball in the eighteen nineties. You couldn't dribble, you couldn't run with the ball. It was almost like ultimate frisbee, where you passed to an area, the person caught it passed to a person in another area.
Speaker 4: Who wants to.
Speaker 5: Guess why guards were called guards, Marvin.
Speaker 4: I think guards were kind of almost like goalie types where they just stopped the other person from scoring.
Speaker 5: That's about eighty percent correct.
Speaker 3: So you were guarding the ball.
Speaker 5: Guards where the people were not allowed to go past the half court line. They had to stay back and guard the basket. They were never allowed to go past the half court line. Forwards were the opposite your forwards were way down on the other end of the court. They're the ones who caught the ball and put it into the basket, which had no net. It was a basket. So that's why Ford the Fords. Why are centers called centers.
Speaker 6: Because they stood in this center?
Speaker 5: That is correct, The center jump exactly right. I'm glad you guys didn't overthink it. Yes, they after every made basket, they went back to the middle of the court, and the tallest player in the courts usually did another tip, so it was at the center of the court. And the name became center.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 5: Now, as basketball moved on, guards were split up into two different categories. There was the running guard, who dribbled the ball up the court. One person was designated to do that, and the stationary guard, which had to pick a spot on the court, stay there and shoot the ball. Couldn't run once you got the ball.
Speaker 2: So I would have been the stationary Oh yeah, yeah, that was your nickname. Yeah, I was called stationary, especially on defense.
Speaker 5: I tried to find who nick created the term point guard. All I can find out is that it was late seventies early eighties. Point guard was commonly used in the seventies, and when you look at Basketball Almanac, they did not have split up point guard shooting guards. You were just guard. A lot of people credit Magic Johnson with popularizing the term when they people talked about him, because when Magic Johnson came out of college, they're like, whoh, he's a shooting guard. Like no, no, no, let's be clear, he's a point guard. And it caught on more in the early eighties. That's best I could find.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, your place on the floor was at the top of the key, so that would have been the point of the offense, I guess, but I didn't. I didn't know, because Bob Coosey would have been the ultimate point guard if you look back on his role for Thetics. I'm trying to think of somebody else. I remember when Earl Monroe and Wald Frasier played for the Knicks, and they were like, well, who's the point guard and who's the shooting guard? And they were neat. I mean, Earl was a great scorer. Clyde, I guess, would have been the point guard. But I like when Jerry West played with Gail Goodrich for the Lakers. Gail was a scorer, you know, and Jerry was his scorer. So it wasn't one of those where you go, Okay, you're a point guard, which means you don't shoot and you're a shooting guard. But hey, that's interesting, Marvin, you look like you're puzzled.
Speaker 4: Well that's why I always I'm always puzzled with the state with the case of Steph Curry because he's a quote unquote point guard, but he's not really a point guard. He just brings the ball up. I think there's a difference between somebody who brings the ball up and somebody who's the actual point guard that runs the offense, leaves the league and assists, or the team and assists. So when people say, oh, is he the greatest point guard ever?
Speaker 3: No, no, he's not right. I don't I don't con or him.
Speaker 2: He's the greatest shooter of all time, he's not the greatest point guard because he's not a great passer. He's had it in two games where he hadn't even had an assist. Draymond Green usually leads the team and assist. Steph is one of the great players of all time. I think that's always kind of weird when you say, all right, who's the best power forward? And then you'll be like, oh, you know Tim Duncan because he's got five titles. If you said, all right, give me the fifteen best players, no position, you know, then do you put it? You know, where's Tim Duncan with that? But when you say, hey, best power forward of all time? Because Bird wasn't a power forward. Kevin McHale was a power forward, which I don't know when you have those kind of titles, it's always awkward, Like I don't know what Dirk Novisky was, like, what was he was?
Speaker 3: He a three was he a four? Yes, Mark?
Speaker 4: And then in the mid two thousands you had all those great seven footers Rashi Wallas, Dirt Noviski, Kevin Garnett that would have been sent yeah. In the eighties and then they were power forwards and you had guys like Theo Ratliff that made all NBA teams because he was listed as a senate.
Speaker 3: Ratlift NICs reference. Yeah, Theo Ratliffe.
Speaker 2: See, that's why I'm like the All NBA team. We got to have a center. Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: DeAndre Jordan's Yeah, DeAndre Jordan.
Speaker 2: I go, he's not one of the top thirty fifty best players in the NBA top five that year. Yeah he was, Yeah, And they were handing out bonuses bonuses because of that.
Speaker 3: Let me see Matt in South Bend. Hi, Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey, Good morning, Dan, and happy orasble day. I was called to offer a Piet of the face bet to anybody that would take it. Okay, I want notre dame versus the field here in the semi finals and put a little wool sweetener on it, like to offer you the fireball bet. Since we were with me at the Nerdame tailgate in twenty fifteen, and couldn't do the fireball with all the bones around.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do a fireball, Matt. How crazy was that? All I wanted was a beer? And I walk up to the tailgate and everybody was doing fireballs, and I said, all right, if it means I get a beer, I'll do a fireball. As soon as I took that shot, I was getting ready. There were fifteen cameras there, cameras. I go, no, no, no, we're not doing this. No, we're not doing this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm not going to blame you, you know, specifically, but all I wanted was a beer. We were there for the USC game and we're I kept thinking, this is Notre Dame. There's got to be people just handing out beer. All right, who wants a piece of Matt? Matt's got Notre Dame winning at all. Anybody going to go against the fighting.
Speaker 4: Tod Yeah, I can see them winning at all.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, I can probably go against it.
Speaker 3: All right, Matt Seaton's going to go against you love it.
Speaker 7: Let's go Irish baby.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: All right, how's this going to go over? At home seating. You're betting against the Irish.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, My nephew goes there right now. So I'm sure that that's side of the family's not happy with it. But why not make it more interesting. I gotta admit though, I don't have a lot of faith in them. I love them, They're great, but I don't have a lot of faith in them to do that.
Speaker 2: Are those helmets they have? Is that twenty three carrot gold? Did they actually have? I mean, it's that gold in those helmets. For some reason, I.
Speaker 5: Gold sprinkle gold flakes, gold flakes, twenty three point nine carrot gold flakes.
Speaker 2: Those are gorgeous, they are. They're gorge alrighty one hour in the books already, two more to go. You got the Minister of Humor, Fritzie Seaton, Marv Paulie yours truly hour two after this