Speaker 1: And now move the sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up? Everybody?
Speaker 1: Walk up to move the sticks?
Speaker 2: DJ? Buck with you?
Speaker 1: Buck? How we doing?
Speaker 2: Man? We're good, DJ.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously it's not a weird time. It's a slow time of year when it comes to football, but it's the last time in terms of getting your vacations because DJ, literally once we hit that designated date, fourth of July, it's over. Football comes in a hurry. You think about training camps having to get the end of July, it seems like we have a long time, but football is really on the horizon.
Speaker 1: No, it's coming. I was going to ask you a couple of basketball things before we get into some of the football stuff we're gonna hit on today. I don't know if you ever have this, like if you see somebody, I'll just explain it to you this way, so that this is what happened. So we see the injury, right, we see Haliburton achilles. So you know I did my achilles, man, maybe eight to ten years ago toward my achilles. So during this time of year, it's nice out. I like to run, so I you know, get my runs in. So Buck now I'm just like, I don't know, man, my achilles feels kind of it's kind of weird. But I don't know if this is a if this is the placebo thing or something where I just like that's in my head because I just saw this guy. But I'm scared to death. I'm like, I gotta think, I gotta walk. I'm gonna walk for maybe a week. Let this, let this kind of calm down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am worried. Like it's funny, DJ. And maybe it's just because there's more attention on injuries.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You think about in basketball three prominent stars having a killees. You talk about Jason Tatum, Dame lill and then Halliburton. Uh man, I just think about in the NFL, we we've heard that injury pop up more than ever.
Speaker 2: And I remember, like doing the scouting press.
Speaker 1: I can't even remember we thought it was a death sentence, like you're like, oh, yeah, is over like.
Speaker 2: Like like a rare thing.
Speaker 3: And then we would have some scouting buddies that would would pop an achilles playing racquetball or any of those things.
Speaker 2: And so it's always been a thing that.
Speaker 3: I was scared to death of so I look, man, you talk about that, that PTSD and you have certain he bounced back from it. But it's one of those things I'm like petrified of it, Like.
Speaker 1: Man, yeah, man, that is a miserable The sad thing is the sad thing. This is what sucks about getting older. If you're a little bit older listening to this, like at forty seven, like, there's a difference between competition and exercise, and I have to remind myself the competition over that those days are over. We're in the exercise portion right now. Because what happens is I'll post like I'll run, and I'll post it on the family group chat, and then my son, you know, he's off, he's got internship in Nashville for the summer, and he'd be like, oh, I'm gonna beat that time today. And I'm like, okay, you're gonna beat that time. Okay, let's see, Okay, I can go faster, I can get a little bit more on this five k that I'm busting out or whatever. And then I realized like, no, no, no, I need, I need I'm on the peloton treadmill, I need the five minute warm up with that guy just kind of getting me in. I need a full song where I'm just kind of getting the blood flowing. I don't need to hit the treadmill and go like I don't need that anymore. The competition days are over.
Speaker 3: Good, good thing for you, because I've really get the old man status where walks around the neighborhood, a little yoga, maybe maybe the bike every now and then. Yeah, because we're official, we're officially on the other side.
Speaker 2: Like there's no feeding, there's no whatever.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you. My daughter goes to Plate's class and I'm like, you know, maybe I should give that a run. I'm like, hey, any any guys in that class. He goes, No, Dad, No.
Speaker 2: Well, because the pilates, you're dealing with the.
Speaker 3: Reformer, Like, I'm sure she's doing regular Pilate's not Matt Platiz you're dealing with.
Speaker 1: However, I'm like.
Speaker 3: You know, cool, go Yeah, if you go, if you go to a yoga class, we can get you some fine yoga classes down there in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you see some guys, Okay, be some bros in there, you can hang out.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. Plates just sounded cooler to me than yoga.
Speaker 2: But then well, I mean it's it's all the it's all, it's all the core stuff, is all the you know, the reformer to stretch out.
Speaker 1: Can I help my golf swing? That's all I'm looking for. But just look for a little more movement and a little.
Speaker 2: Better How is How is the golf swing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I've been playing. I've been playing a good bit. So I'm gonna say that I played like two days a week for the last couple of weeks. And I'll tell you what the The good has gotten good, Okay, I got to eliminate the bad man. The bad is still really bad, you know, negative negative shots, but there's there's fewer of them, but it doesn't take many to torpedo you in terms of what you're trying to accomplish. But I have an amazing ability when I get in the car afterwards to divorce myself from those bad shots and just on the drive home think about the wonderful shots you hit. It is a fun I love that I've fallen in love with the game man. And you see, like Saquon Barkley's into it, like, yeah, Josh, A lot of these guys in the off season and gett into it. And I'd never really got the golf thing till a few years ago. And it's kind of like that. It's just get a little bit good, not good, just a little bit good.
Speaker 2: Another where you can go and do stuff.
Speaker 3: I've always said that I'd just like to get the call every now and and do some like some of those charity golf tournaments.
Speaker 2: Be able to go away, be a little trip.
Speaker 1: Ye little swag, get out there. It's nice to be outside. So much of our job we're indoors with the work that we do and then watching tape and all that stuff. So I just love h I love being outside and doing that. I did hit a house pretty hard yesterday. I'm not gonna lie when it when it went and buck, I'm not talking about the I'm not talking about the Fairway Hugger house. I'm talking about across the street from that house. It climbed Like I looked at it, I was like, ohh, I got that good. I got that good. And that is that is on this line and I needed to be on that line. And I'm like, I'm like, it is going towards that house right on the Fairway, and this is gonna do some damage and then that thing, like a like a freaking F sixteen, took off and went over those houses and I was like, I wonder what's behind that? Well, trust me, the way I heard it, there's another house back there. And it was like, very, I just don't need to hear that. I don't want to hear that glass sound. So I didn't hear the glass sound, okay, and I quickly I quickly advanced to the next hole. Gay, Yeah, that's why I play in the afternoon, Buck, I can't be playing. I can't be playing early in the morning. There's liable to be some folks home. They could, they can come out. You know you you you hit that house at one twenty in the afternoon. Good folks are at work.
Speaker 2: You're fine.
Speaker 1: Oh, so there's your update on my golf game. So when we're going off the rails. One other basketball thing I want to hit before we get to our football. The draft. NBA Draft was last night, I tweeted out Buck. Every year I want to get into it. I'm excited about it, and I'm like, I love because I love the draft. I just the draft in general, whatever sport it is, I get into it. It doesn't work man Like the NBA draft just doesn't work. It's so flat, Like the arena is mostly just kind of like players and families. You can hear a pin drop in. There's no energy in the building. Just everything just falls totally flat. So I don't know if you if you watched it, if you saw it the same, and then I I've got at least one idea. I think that can help them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched it. You know, there are a few different things that make make it tough.
Speaker 3: And I know we are deeply entrenched in the football world, so we know all the names that pop up on our draft. It's just a little different. I would just say that it is just so apparent in our country that football is king. There's just an excitement about the game. And I think part of the excitement around the draft is not only all the draftnicks kind of playing the guessing game when it comes to mock drafts DJ. I think there's such an excitement or we're clamoring for football so much that we're just excited to see b row up highlights. I think there's a big part of the draft we get to see a three minute run of just football highlights.
Speaker 2: They kind of wetside appetite for the game. It is.
Speaker 3: The other part is I think the names, it's just easier for us to kind of follow the names.
Speaker 2: And this isn't necessarily basketball's fault.
Speaker 3: But with one and Done's and the international flavor where the players coming from outside of the borders coming over, we're just not familiar with them, so you haven't seen them. And so you talked about it once they got to.
Speaker 2: Like pick nine or ten. Hey, man, I don't know who this is. I'm watching. I'm just not familiar.
Speaker 3: And I felt like I watched a ton of college basketball last year, but DJ, there are some names.
Speaker 2: I was like, man, I don't know who this is, and like you played it Illinois, but I was still but I don't remember. It's bad.
Speaker 1: So I wrote down, you know, I like to use like a format, alliteration and things to try and give you a little game plan. So here's my three free thoughts to the NBA to make this thing a little bit better. And then the three t's buck, the three t's ready. First of all, the timeline, we got to stretch to sing out guys like we can't have this thing come. A couple of days after the finals, Like what are we doing? Like there's no separation. You're asking your talent. I feel bad for him, to be honest, Like you're asking them to be in the NBA final world like locked in, locked in, locked in, and all of a sudden forty eight hours later, Oh yeah, jump on here and know these players inside out and talk about them properly. That's doesn't work, man. Like the NFL has mastered spacing, like they space the calendar out. You always got something to look forward to. There's a little bit of build up. There's no build up to this thing, Like as all of a sudden, the scene's over, whoa the draft this year? Like they needed some runway for that to happen. So that's my first So the first t timeline, second T is, let's make it a bigger event in terms of what's around it. Let's put it like a tournament together. Let's let's have all these upcoming high schoolers that you know are gonna be a year away from being in the draft, Like let's have the McDonald's All American Game or whatever you're doing. Let's have that take place during this week, all you know, two days before, so we can talk about who This is kind of a look ahead to what it's gonna look like next year. These are the top kids, and you can even have kind of you tournaments, bring in a bunch of people into the city where you're having the draft. Guess what, all those people they get free tickets to come inside and ren so we can pack an arena out with some energy. Is the second one? There's no energy? So then the last one was you know, it was the tickets. So yeah, so it's like you got the timeline, you got the tournament, and you got tickets, Like, I don't care if they're free, it should be free. Get let's we got to get more people and more energy in the buildings. So timeline, tournament tickets, those are my three ideas.
Speaker 3: DJ I am with you in terms of football, has done a great job of creating these ten bold events where they are many football festivals. So the draft last year in Green Bay was a bit of a festival. Anyone that was there around it. They talked about the week long celebration of football in Wisconsin and it's been like that since the NFL decided to move it out of New York and kind of put it on the road.
Speaker 2: The NBA has to find a way to create.
Speaker 3: An excitement and a buzz around their draft and the next generation of stars, whether you talk about having a showcase for the generation that's about to go into whatever that is.
Speaker 2: But it has to be something that's bigger than just the draft.
Speaker 3: And I'll say this because I do believe the NBA gets Summer League right.
Speaker 1: Summer League's great, Summer League's great.
Speaker 3: There's an excitement around Summer League when it finally hits Vegas and those things.
Speaker 2: But they have to find a.
Speaker 3: Way to create the buzz and the energy and not only energizing the fans, but I feel like they got to energize the talent.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It has to be like an energy about Hey, guys, this is the next generation of guys, and here's why you need to tune in because these guys our great, babulous or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, they put the talent in a bad spot. Man. You can't ask them to do what they're doing at the finals and then turn around and do this thing two days later. Let's studio. But I like your idea of Vegas. Maybe we combine that and just say hey, every year you know, the NFL used to do the draft and Radio City Music Hall before you know it blew up. We took it on the road right now where the NBA is they should they should say, hey, Vegas is kind of our adopted off season homes where we do the where we do this summer league. So why don't why don't you just then let's have the big tournament in Vegas. Let's have McDonald's All American Game, whatever, all that stuff going on there, youth tournaments, bring everybody into Vegas for this week, do all that, bam. Then we have the draft and guess what we start to We start Summer league, you know, next Monday, and it's like Vegas just becomes your off season home. To do that, I mean, have the draft in the sphere, for crying out loud, throw it in there to do that. But whatever that was, whatever that was last night was not good. That was not a good watch.
Speaker 3: Man is hard and I feel the same as unfortunate. Like MLB has tried to up the ending when it comes to the draft.
Speaker 1: A lot of it is still at the All Star Game. Yeah that doesn't really work either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still falls flat in comparison to the NFL Draft that the NFL Draft is king. There's just so much interest and intrigue about it that it's hard to replicate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know. I guess when we just compliment on the summer league, they do a great job with that. So all right, let's say quick break, come back. Got an interesting football assignment for you, right for this? All right, buck, this is uh, this is gonna be a game I'm gonna call in and out. Okay, not just because it's a great hamburger spot.
Speaker 2: What's your order?
Speaker 1: By the way, what's your what's your in and out order?
Speaker 3: I'm basically I'm normally just a double double uh burger sauce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty, that's a double dover burger sauce. This good to go?
Speaker 1: All right, here's the game. So I'm gonna give you some top five leaders in different stats, and I'm gonna tell you confidence meter. You got to give me the one you're most confident. So this is gonna be your end. This player will be in the top five again next year. And then the one that maybe you're least confident and I think could be out next year. Okay, all right to go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So all right, We're.
Speaker 1: Gonna start off with the sack leaders from last year. It was Trey Hendrickson was seventeen and a half, Miles Garrett, Nick Benito, Kyle Vanoy, Danil Hunter. So of those, who is your inn who you're saying is is going to be back in the top five next year?
Speaker 3: Well, that's easy for me. I'm gonna say Miles Garrett. Regardless of what the Browns look like on offense, he's the brand name, just got the big contract, former Defensive Player of the Year, and he shows up and shows out every time he's on the field. I'm gonna take him and nice little to get away with the girlfriend Eddie. He missed camp, but whatever.
Speaker 2: But he's back. He's your fist, he's your charged.
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna kind of be the same play as he's always been a dominant player.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I would probably go with you on that one. Miles Garrett would be my end in terms of the out between hendricks and Benito, Vanoyd, dan Neil Hunter. Where you going m m out?
Speaker 3: I like friend of the program Calvin Uyck. He's been an NFL network a time. I don't know if he's a consistent twelve SAT guy.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go out on him. Uh.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's productive, but not quite as productive as he has been last season.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna go out on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would as well. Uh. And I love Kav and he's a great dude and a really really good football player. Okay, let's get down. Let's go. Rushing yard yardage leaders Sakwan went over two thousand, Derrick Henry right behind him by Jon Robinson, Jonathan Taylor, Jamir Gibbs. Who would you say is your in in that group?
Speaker 3: My inn, my d would be Jamier Gibbs. I think Jamior Gibbs and does that. I'm I'm confident him.
Speaker 2: I think he even gets a heavier workload under John Morton.
Speaker 3: I just think he's too explosive, and now that we got a little taste, it's gonna be hard to.
Speaker 1: Remove him from the lineup. All Right, I'm gonna go with the same draft class, but I'm gonna go b Jon Robinson is my in, Okay, I do I just to me, I think you look at him just getting better and better and better. Fourteen hundred and fifty six yards. I think he could have like a seventeen hundred yard season, So I'm gonna go b Jon Robinson is my inn in terms of my out buck. I don't feel great about this, and I'm sure it could get thrown back in my face, but I'll say Derrick Henry just because you always say it, Father Time is undefeated, like at some point in time, there has to be a little bit of decline. Had that first year of just explosion with Baltimore. I know they're gonna be really good, but they have a lot of weapons in the past game, you know, I think they'll try and preserve him a little bit. All that matters for them is what goes on in the postseason regular success stats. Don't They've done that. They've won their MVPs, They've you know, rushed for a zillion yards. They've been that. They need to play well in the postseason. So maybe they preserve him a little bit. Maybe there's a little bit of drop off after that big year in Baltimore last year.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you talked about Derrick Henry coming out because he almost game two thousand, I'm gonna say he's Sae Kwon Barkley comes out a little bit. I think it's just hard to replicate the kind of success that he had a season ago over two thousand yards, the way that he did it in Philadelphia. I'm saying he just comes back to the pack a little bit. Doesn't mean that he doesn't get over one thousand yards, doesn't get over twelve hundred yards. I just don't know if you can put up that number, that two thousand yard spot. I don't see that coming. I don't see it back to back two thousand yard season. Yeah, yeah, Look, it's hard to do man. Usually a little wear and tear there as well. Receiving yardage. You've got Jamar Chase over seventeen hundred. Then you've got Justin Jefferson his college teammate fifteen thirty three, Brian Thomas junior. How about all three of those guys LSU guys followed by Drake London and Aman Ross Saint Brown. So Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson, BTJ Drake London, Amen, ra who you going as you're in?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Justin Jefferson. I bank on him all day, every day, just because of the credit.
Speaker 2: Quarterback.
Speaker 1: You don't care, You're good.
Speaker 2: No, I think they feed the pig all the guys. If you don't me Jordan Edison or whatever.
Speaker 3: I think Justin Jeffers and continues to find a way to be a productive So I'm going with him being able.
Speaker 1: To do it all right. I like that one. In terms of rush receiving yards leaders, my in, I will go Jamar Chase again. I just think he's as good as it gets and I think he's got such a rapport with his quarterback there. So I think Burrow and Jamar Chase they do it again. And then I'll say, my out, man, it's hard to do with this with this list because all these guys, it's hard to say they're not going to be in there. I'm go and Rob being at the bottom of it with twelve hundred and sixty three yards, but new coordinator, I think there's an adjustment there. I think it won't be necessarily him coming down as much as I think you'll see some other guys emerge. You know, who knows what. We'll see Garrett Wilson one of these other guys trying jump up above him.
Speaker 3: Let's go with Drake London just because you know Michael Pennis takes over. Maybe the ball his in a different direction, hopefully his in the direction of cal Pits.
Speaker 2: His number goes out, drag In.
Speaker 3: London's number comes down a bit. I don't know, it's really really challenging to figure that out. But of those guys, the other ones are what I call the name brands. As hard as they count those guys out. So I'm gonna go drag Lundon. He gets the short end of the stick.
Speaker 1: All right, the last one on our in and out game. Here, let's go passing yardage. Joe Burrow over forty nine hundred, Jared Goff forty six, twenty nine, Biger Mayfield, Gino Smith, Sam Donald, So Burrow, Golf Mayfield, Gino, Sam Donald. Who you saying is back? Who is in?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Burrow is one like you don't give the money that they gave to those wide receivers and they don't throw it all over the yard.
Speaker 2: So he is definitely in. And some capascy in.
Speaker 3: Being honest, Cincinnati's a much better offense when it runs through him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how you go in any of the direction. I would I would go Burrow as well. And then in terms of the out, I mean just TB. Dave Gino in Vegas, you know, so I would say I would go, Gino, is my out there? Sam Donald's in a new spot as well. So you got two quarterbacks at the top five here in yardage that they're going to be a new home. So who would you says you're out.
Speaker 2: Sam Donald? To me?
Speaker 3: Just new situation, new quarterback, I mean, new coordinator, all those other things. I'll worry about him being able to put up the same kind of numbers. And to be frank, I think they may try and run the football. I think they want to run the football to control of the m McDonald's defensive minded coach. I can see them running the ball more. So you may not get the same opportunities that he got in Minnesota previously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think that's completely fair. This is kind of a fun one off, a little in and out game there. One of the other statues going through all these different numbers that kind of blew me away and that I actually think is going to be even better next year. If you look at the yards after the catch last year, it was Jumark Jase one eight, Chan was two, Khalios Shakir was third, Rock Bauers, fourth, Jamier Gibbs fifth, Rock Bowers had five hundred and ninety seven yards after the catch. Last year, that's a ton of yards. And now you're get in a situation with a stable core back with Geno Smith rock Bauer is gonna have a monster year.
Speaker 3: How does it even how does it even happen where you're you're tied in as to one just racking the guy that isn't That doesn't even make that doesn't even make sense for you're tied in to be able.
Speaker 1: But if you think about if just looking at it right, guys that can you know, you got a chan in there as a back, but then Shakir can work in the slot Jamir Gibbs. Like these these run after catch guys or matchup guys, like you're getting backs or slot receivers in very favorable matchups, short easy throws, and they're they're being covered by someone who's not as athletically gifted as they are. So that's where I think you see some of that run after catch. Whereas we used to think, oh that's out to the perimeter run after catch, now it's like who's gonna get on a linebacker and a safety and and uh and and do their damage that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just different, just a different game.
Speaker 3: But you have a veteran quarterback like Geno Smith who's gona put the ball in his hands. Uh, don't make it complicated, man, Give the ball to your best players and let them.
Speaker 2: Go to work. Buck.
Speaker 1: What's on the high school calendar right now? You guys in your dead period, we will.
Speaker 3: Be like on Friday, they get like a little week off. They'll get a chill, come back for a couple of weeks, take another week off, and then go to it. Yeah, July twenty eighth to be here and before you know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking forward to that. All right, This is a fun one that I had a little fun with the NBA draft as well as a little in and out game. Hope you guys enjoyed that. We will be back next week. I've got I'll have some more college stuff for you next week. I finished and wrote up Garrett nus Meyer from LSU, so we'll touch on that one. I've got a couple more quarterbacks over the summer that I'll be peeking at, including Sellers from South Carolina Club, Nick from Clemson, and then this guy Archie Manning. I don't know if I ever heard of him.
Speaker 2: So maybe I might have heard of him.
Speaker 1: Doing a little homework, so we'll have those discussions next week. Appreciate you guys. We'll see you next time. Right here on with the sticker