Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see if we remember how to do this. Great to be back, Happy New Year, the Minister of Humor, although I was told by somebody, is it the Administer of humor, not the Minister of humor? And I said, no, you're the Minister of humor, Fritzie and the most valuable Danet. But that's a long time ago. That was twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Let's turn the page twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Now, thank you Todd seating us here, Marv's here, Paula yours truly in the back room. Guys, we had to come back. There's so much to talk about. Chris Simms from Football Night in America. We'll stop buying a little bit. We'll play fill in the blank. Yes, we are taking your phone calls for best and worst of the week, not weekend. Well it can be the weekend, but it can be the week as well. Operator Tyler's sitting by taking your phone calls. Eight seven to seven three DP show tonight the Sugar Bowl Notre Dame, Georgia. That's a four pm Eastern star due to the tragedy in New Orleans. And then there is another bowl game. After that, it is Duke and Ole Miss Wow. Okay, but it is football. It's programming, and that's all we care about. It's football. Voll to wall. For the most part, we'll talk about the playoff scenarios with the NFL, certainly the bowl games. Texas gets by Arizona State, Ohio State rolls Oregon, Penn State handles Boise State. We'll look at the matchups upcoming and week eighteen. It's kind of a play in weekend for some teams. Broncos, Dolphins, Bengals still alive, Buccaneers, Falcons still alive. This Sunday night game. You got the number one seed at stake, and the loser could be on the road in the first round of the playoffs. Rams or Tampa Bay or maybe Atlanta they could be going. If it's the Lions or the Vikings, they could be on the road in the opening round. With that many wins, incredible. So the winner gets the number one seed. The loser can drop all the way down to the number five seed. Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock our streaming partner. Thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Seaton's got a poll question. At least we have a few of them to toss around for the first hour of the program.
Speaker 4: Before we get to poll questions. Don't you think Ole miss is wondering, like, how did it come to this?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: I think Lane Kiffin is thinking that how did we get here? We're playing Duke after Notre Dame in Georgia, right, we're playing duke today. Yes, we're in the SEC football duke football. We should have been in the playoffs there and here they are. They've got Duke yes.
Speaker 6: And Notre Dame Georgia first is like a leading band, like a headlining band. And then the Going second. Yeah, years ago the spin doctors opened up for the Rolling Stones. This would be like the Rolling Stones, no offense, no offense for.
Speaker 2: It's led Zeppelin and then Gin blossoms here. How did we get here? This brutal? And I like that Lane Kiffen was so active on social media. He's sticking up for the SEC and then all of a sudden Tennessee got blown out and we didn't hear from Lane after that. Here's a pet peeve that I have. I don't want to hear these analysts after the fact tell me somebody shouldn't be in the playoffs. You know when Kirk Kurbstreet says, basically the Indiana shouldn't have been here, but Herbie wasn't alone. There were a lot of other people who said, well, they shouldn't have been here. Okay, SMU shouldn't have been here. Okay, I'm not blaming SMU or Indiana. They did everything they were supposed to do. And tell me that before they get blown out, not after. Did you say Tennessee shouldn't have been there. No, they earned the right to be there. They just got blown out. But this after the fact where you have people going, no, they never should have been there. Okay, if Arizona State gets blown out, people would have said, well they never should have gotten the first round, by right, that's the way it works. Are you saying that about Oregon? That Oregon shouldn't have been the number one team in the country, They shouldn't have been the number one seed. They got blown out my Ohio State. It's really easy to do that today. Do it before, Okay, after the fact.
Speaker 4: I have no respect for that yes, a Oregon shouldn't be here before the hand would have been a very hot take that would have been.
Speaker 2: That would have been you know, I don't think Oregon belongs here. Yes, yes, but somebody's going to say that after the fact. You know, Arizona State, and I was worried because I thought, just make it competitive. It's weird. I rooted for Indiana smu Boise State, Arizona State to make it competitive. I didn't think they were going to win, but I thought, just make it competitive so we don't get this revisionist history where they never should have been there. And then Arizona State comes back, and then they tie it, and then they go into overtime. They said, okay, they're off the hook here. That is a great loss, although they're not going to take it that way, but that was a standout game that they played and losing to Texas, and I thought Arizona State was the better team the second, third, fourth quarter, and part of the overtime. But it was fun to see. You know, we're gonna look at Ashton gent and all of a sudden, yeah, okay, you're gonna play against that competition. He only he plays against who he is scheduled to play against. They didn't say, hey, can we pick the crappiest team so I can rush for twenty five hundred yards. Boise State did what they were asked to do. This is on college football. College football created a scenario where they said, hey, if you win your conference, you get a first round by. It doesn't make sense. We've said it doesn't make sense. We said it before people realize it didn't make sense. They're going to change it. They're going to have and logic will step in, which is really rare in college football. But they will eventually get around to fixing this. So Boise State or Arizona State, these schools they're not getting first round bys. You're going to have and they should take anybody's opinion out it. Take the human equation out of this where we keep looking at Alabama like it's Alabama. Just ask Vegas. Vegas will tell you, because their livelihood depends on this, they don't have any emotion. They will tell you the best teams who should be in and who shouldn't be in. And Alabama didn't deserve to be in. I know. It's one of those where you where they got to put in Alabama. No they don't, No, they don't. It's a new college football landscape here, folks. And that's where you see these teams who get a quarterback transfer portal nil money, and all of a sudden, the artist you thought were Alabama, maybe even Georgia, they're knocked down a little bit here or others are coming up on them, and you're gonna have quarterbacks in the transfer report, Quinn Ewers may be playing at Notre Dame next year. Why would you go to the pros? You can make six million dollars playing He's going to make what a quarterback taken in the top ten would make. And he's probably They probably gonna imagine you win a national title and they say, thanks Quinn, we got Arch. We got Arch here ready to go. And there was a report that he had an offer of six million dollars. Some had speculated that it's Notre Dame. They have Riley Leonard, they're going to lose him. And I asked my college football source, and they said Notre Dame thought that that was too rich for them. Six million dollars for Quinn years. So here he is coming off biggest win of his career. They got a home game, basic coming up against Ohio State, and you got these guys already negotiating what they're going to do next year. It's college football. It's crazy and it was a lot of fun. You know, there were some really good games. Now there were some duds, but that's going to happen. It happens in the NFL play You know, how often do we go, oh, that team got blown out. They never should have been in We don't do that, not in the NFL, but we do it in college football. But it's because you're looking at somebody whose schedule inferior competition. Yes, it's never going to be an exact science, it's just not. But enjoy it. I think. You know, we have playoff football. We didn't have playoff football before.
Speaker 3: We have it.
Speaker 2: Now it'll get better, games will be competitive. It's okay, first round matchups in the NCAA tournament, do you go, oh, they never should have been there, du blew out somebody by forty two. But we do that. We pick and choose, you know, with our discuss our outrage.
Speaker 4: Yeah see right, But like if the Ravens get to the playoffs and get blown out in the first round, no one's gonna say, see, they shouldn't have been there, they didn't belong there. If you you could, you have the ability to completely remove that from the discussion in college football. You just have to take the steps to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only thing that people will debate or say, oh, you're gonna give Lamar Jackson the MVP and they bowo out again like that would be the only thing that would happen in a situation like that. And by the way, that is the big topic here with Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, who's going to be the MVP? And I think it comes down to when you look at stats and you look at team performance. Because Lamar Jackson's had an unbelievable year. But I think we're all nobody's surprised at that. I think most people are surprised at the Buffalo Bills and Josh Allen. When you lose Stefan Diggs, they lost a lot of defensive players. So you got to kind of figure out what is what are the parameters here? What's the definition that you should be voting on, because that's another thing you're going to get this, Well it's his turn, what huh, You're either the MVP or you're not. It's like somebody wins the Academy Award because well it was their turn.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: You either earn it or you don't. But that will be a big topic coming up this weekend and the fact that Lamar's going to play keep his consecutive gamestreak going. But how long is he going to play? And does that factor in with somebody with the MVP race. But we'll talk to Chris Simms about that. Can something happen this weekend that changes the MVP? But I think it's going to be really really close, really close, and I certainly understand either way. Like, you know, people got upset. Remember when Joker was going to win his third and oh my god, Kendrick Perkins came on and it's like, what are we doing here? It's joe El Embiid. I go, no, it's not. Joker is the best player in basketball, the most valuable player. What do you talk Kendrick Perkins and the Mothership? I think you know suade that vote for Joel Embiid and Embiid had a great season, but he was not a better player, more valuable than Joker was. So you know what happens with the analyst here over the next seventy two hours, you're going to play a large role in all of this. All right, Seaton poll question, I'm blah bob blonde, but I'm ready to go here, I'm fired up.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to go.
Speaker 4: You want to start with a dude pole question? All sent over a dude question more? Okay, So I should have said, sorry, my apologist, dude, dude or dude in many ways to see that the refs in the Texas Arizona State game.
Speaker 2: Dud dude, what minute tend to go? I know it's a minute tend to go? You still have to call targeting there, asshoes driving and that would have given them a first down and we don't know what would have happened after that, but maybe they kick a field goal. But here is Ken Dillingham, he's the Arizona State head coach on the non call for targeting.
Speaker 7: In terms of the targeting, I mean, I'm gonna be honest, I don't know what targeting is. We lost one of our best players in the first half for targeting and I just don't know. I just don't I just don't know what it is. So I don't want to comment on something that I have to get a better grasp of what it is, just because it's so you know, I just don't quite understand it. I do just want to protect the players, though, so whatever rules are put in place to protect the players, I'm all about.
Speaker 2: It's targeting. It is, and he did his best. He danced around as best he could. And there's a lot of things that they factor in. There's key items that are fined by the NCAA rule book, and one is leading with the helmet's shoulder, forearm, fist, hand, or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area. You can't argue that one also defenseless receiver. So there's two opportunities to call a penalty there and they chose not to. It's like when the Rams and the Saints in a playoff game many many years ago in the Superdome, they could have called two different penalties and they didn't call either penalty that was targeting. Now, I know people are going to say, hey, fourth and thirteen, don't let him score touchdown. You're absolutely right, But in that moment, I don't care what the time on the clock is. And people got caught up. Well, you can't call it then, Really that receiver is knocked out on the field and I can't call it then, I mean, what are we doing? It was targeting And even when the rules official for the Mothership says, yeah, basically that's uh, we shouldn't even spend a lot of time on this. That's targeting. And it was. It was a wonderful game, but that was a call that they certainly missed. Also, when Skataboo is lifted up by his offensive lineman, you're not allowed to do that. I mean, it was a cool play. You can push, you can't pull. So there was a lot that was going on there, but still it was I enjoyed it. Even if the game all the Bull games, I'm watching them all I watched probably I don't know if there was a Bull game that I didn't miss at least a portion of I did my best to watch as much as possible there, and uh, it's it's great. We're in a new era here and we can pick and nitpick and go. Indiana shouldn't been in there. I said that before. They didn't play anybody, but they did what they were supposed to do. Don't blame Indiana Lane College football system. They're going to rectify it. They'll clean it up and it'll be better. They're going to continue to modify this. They're going to add two more teams. We're going to look at by All of this stuff is under discussion right now as we speak. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. And we want to make sure that you got everything you needed. If there's any issues with Christmas with things you ordered, let us know. We'll make sure that we rectify everything. But hope you had a great Christmas and you went to Danpatrick dot com to get some of the gear that you would hope for all of your dreams. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See a lot of talk about the alligator at your house. Oh that was a big hit.
Speaker 2: Well do you realize that the alligator is just coming off the trigger? Oh really? Yes? No kidding today? Yeah, Oh let's go yeah fire. Yes. So we we had the alligator meet. We had the display portion of the alligator on the tregger grill. They were like little like kind of like popcorn yeah, popcorn shrimp yeah yeah, yeah, like popcorn chicken nuggets yeah something. So Tyler came over to get the double banger Tregger grill and I said, oh, by the way, don't open up that side. He goes, why not? He opened it up. He goes, oh my god, the gamer's still there. I said, yeah, I wasn't going to take it out. So all right, we're just getting started and glad you're part of the program. As always, we'll talk to Chris Sims. He'll join us coming up next year on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationship, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss and the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll settle on our poll question. Celebrate the journeys that bring us closer together. An exclusive offer on a vehicle Yieldador Mercedes Benz the Holiday Loves Celebration going on through January second. Learn more at nbusa dot com slash special offers. He is Chris Simms, Pro Football Talk Live co host and an analyst for Football Night in America. Big kickoff this Sunday night on NBC and Peacock. It will be the Lions and the Vikings. We'll talk about that coming up in a moment. You are a Texas s gran and I'm sure you were watching the game yesterday. Can you be impartial on the pill? Okay?
Speaker 3: No, sound hard to be impartial though, Yeah, I'm not doing any pregame shows. Are working professionally, so I no, I was a total loud mouth, obnoxious Texas Longhorn fan yesterday watching in my living room. I was having a lot of fun, though certainly it was a great game to watch. It really was.
Speaker 2: Okay, by the rule, was that targeting.
Speaker 3: By the rule, by what you see in college football on a weekly basis, and the over officiating nature of that play in general. Yes, by the rule, it is because what there was hit to the head. But where it's different and where I'm glad they didn't call it is the fact that the bass tipped in the air, so there was a little reaction to the ball, like oh wait, I'm going up and looking at that. Also, he didn't launch, I mean he hit him with his face right, It wasn't like he was like trying to lower the crown of his helmet and do that. I, like you, was surprised they didn't call it because it's very TICKI tac with that stuff this day and age, whether it's the NFL or college. But happy they didn't.
Speaker 2: If it was flipped, if it was reversed.
Speaker 3: And I'm always I will say this if you ever watch games with me, I am. I am pro defense, and that it's so hard with the rules all against them, that yeah, if there was the other way around and they had a call a drive earlier, that I thought they could have called the same thing targeting on them, and they didn't, And that's what kind of led me to believe they might not do it in that moment. They were kind of letting it play as far as that's concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they did call targeting in the first half on an Arizona State player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know they did there too. I know, I know, I know. Listen, it's not perfect and some of this stuff is over efficient. It drives me crazy every week we've lost, Like, especially in the NFL, forcible contact to the head, right, I'm sick of like two fingers touch a quarterback's head and they go, well, you hit him in the head.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: No, in the language it says forcible. It didn't say like ooh I gave him a little love tap or oh I kissed him on the ear and we throw a penalty, and I wish some of this was stuff would.
Speaker 2: Stop a little bit. Do you think Quinny Ewers is Texas quarterback next year?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I do not. Do you think he's playing college football next year?
Speaker 3: Yes? I would hope so, because I don't think he's a guy that's going to go in the first two rounds of the draft. I think he has like the potential to be that kind of guy, but I think he's gonna have to show people maybe another year of high quality football play and all that. But no, I expect arch Manning Era to start after the season's over. And yeah, in my heart of hearts, again I have no inside info, Dan, I think that Quinne Owers will be playing somewhere else. He is an NFL quarterback. He needs to throw the ball with more authority. I think you watch enough football. He's too many of these, like lays the ball up there instead of driving it through the target, which he has the ability to do. And of course he can work on his athleticism a little bit too as well. But yeah, I think it's gonna be somewhere else, Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, let's look at the NFL let me start with the MVP race. Can anything happen this weekend that would change your opinion or should change the opinion of the NFL MVP voters.
Speaker 3: I think so. Like Okay, as I said here right now, I'm gonna say that I'm probably favoring Josh Allen as far as the MVP vote. But it's really close. It's crazy because last year it was kind of an underwhelming the MVP year. It felt like it was given to Lamar at a default because he just he had a good year and they were dominant, but it wasn't eye popping wow stats. This year, we got four guys I got eye popping wow stats that are all having MVP caliber years. So I leaned Josh Allen because I do believe, yes, Lamar's stats are a little bit better. I think Lamar's support around him on the offensive side of the ball is a little bit better as well. But MVP is a little about moments, and Josh Allen had a stretch there of moments, whether it was the forty nine Ers, the Chiefs, the Rams and Who's the other one and the Detroit Lions of going that was one of the four incredible, incredible weeks in a row and big time plays and big moments, and that's where I favor him. But man, it's tough, Dan, that's for sure.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You looking at this, and I always I'm curious how people factor in What is their criteria? Is it stats? Is it team success? And then stats or stats then team's success. And if Joe Burrow, if the Bengals had ten wins right now, who's your MVP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a different the Bengals were firmly entrenched in the playoffs, I probably I don't know, that'd be a close one. You're making that it'd be really close. I still think I'd probably go with Josh Allen because I just do you know, and then all these guys are were of it. But the way he's played this year, the decision making, the quality of play and clutch moments and all that, I don't think anybody has stood above Josh Allen in that department. But no doubt like Joe Burrow's year is special, and if they were one of the top four seeds, I certainly think he'd be in a lot of people's you know, lead as far as the voting, and you asked me if anything could change it this weekend. I mean, if if Lamar goes out there and throws five touchdowns and has an unbelievable statistical day and the Bills and Josh Allen are kind of sleep at the wheel and he throws one touchdown and two or three interceptions or whatever, that that might change my mind. I'm not you know, I haven't written it in stone yet. As far as Josh Allen.
Speaker 2: You got the Vikings in the line Sunday night on NBC and Peacock. The winner gets the number one seed. The loser probably on the road against Tampa or Atlanta, whoever wins that division or the Rams. Right, that's harsh. That's harsh to have that many wins and you're gonna have Tampa or Atlanta getting in you know, barely five hundred the Rams at the Rams, how dangerous they are. I mean, you could be sure you could be one and done here if you know the Lions are the Vikings.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I mean the Vikings lost to the Rams earlier this year in LA Definitely, and then either one. You know, I still sit here and tell you that I think the most complete team in the NFC is the Philadelphia Eagles that's who I would still take. That's the team I'm gonna take to go to the super Bowl out of the NFC.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But but these Vikings and Lions football teams awesome offensively, but they're middle of the road defense. So if you if they play a team that's got a really good offense, the game's gonna be scary. So that that's to your point. Yeah, it's it's big, It really is. It's a huge game. I'm excited to see what happens. We know the offenses are super explosive. I think home field advantage I think is more important to Detroit in my opinion, just because of the way the defense has looked as of late. Right the dam is broken, I mean, and you look at it and I go, yeah, homefield, the crowd noise, all that I think will help them a little bit, right, because that simplifies an offense, and that place is tough to play. You can't go to the line of scrimmage with four different plays called in the huddle and do all these checks when you're on the road in Detroit, So that simplifies things. That's a little advantage they need. I think it is more important for them to win this game than Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live co host in Football Night in America. They have the big matchup between Detroit and Minnesota Sunday Night. Sam Darnald's free agency plans? Should he have free agency plan? Should the Vikings plan on Sam Donald going to free agency?
Speaker 3: Well, they got to make sure they got a.
Speaker 2: Plan to Okay, what would you do? I want yeah, I want you to make the decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like at this moment right now, I would not let Sam Donald walk out of the building. That would not happen. It's just it's too hard to find quarterbacks that are good in the NFL. You got one. He fits your scheme. You can see he's got talent and all that. But now, do I want to commit long term to him yet?
Speaker 10: Nah?
Speaker 3: I don't think I do either. I'd like to see one more year. We've seen guys have good years, ride the momentum, the good vibes of the building, we're playing good, and then come back the next year and we go, well, they can't seem to recreate that magic. What's going on there? Blah blah blah. So I think I'm one that as I said here, right now, Dan, I'd probably franchise tag him, franchise them, see another year and go, hey, just prove to me. And then maybe you get to you know, end of next year and the franchise and he plays really well again, then you go, Okay, we got our guy. Now we can commit to a few more years and guaranteed money and do all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might be a Kirk Cousins situation when he was with Washminton. I mean I would franchise him one more year. Okay, I want you to answer quickly. You can have Sam Donald for one hundred and fifty million brock Party for two hundred and fifty million.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's not even close. That's not even close. Sam Donald all day, all day, all day. You know, I'm I'm a forty nine Ers fan and that's my buddy Kyle Shanahan. Certainly, there's no way I would pay anywhere near market value for brock Purty. Some of these teams got to stop this, right. I've said this about the Miami Dolphins, their highest paid player in their football teams, their biggest concern in the big game and their biggest injury liability, and whether he's available out there that doesn't make sense. That's bad team building. Brock Party there's a little of that too, and you saw he's not talented enough to carry the football team. I would, I would, I would go way below market value with Brock Purty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how do you do so you basically say to his agent, we're gonna give you here's thirty million.
Speaker 3: Tell me out who else is gonna take thirty five? Thirty million? Who else is gonna I would have done the same thing with Miami gun who else? In football, these teams are negotiating against themselves. They're like, here's thirty million, No, you don't like it, Hey, here's thirty five, you want more? And they just they keep going up and you're like, well, why nobody else is gonna pay him this? So that's what I would say. I would. I would start. If I'm in the NFL and I don't know where it lost its way, it'd be Mahomes makes this, and nobody's Mahomes and we're gonna have a pecking order below that period. It starts there and we've gotten away with this. Oh, the new guy's up, he's the new contract, so we got to pay him more, And like.
Speaker 2: No, you don't blame the Cleveland Browns. What they did with DeShawn Wants.
Speaker 3: The dumbest thing ever exactly right, the dumbest contract in the history of the NFL. You're right, that's that's definitely part of it too, Dan, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they had to give him an offer that he couldn't refuse because he didn't want to go to Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, because they had ruined things already with Baker Mayfield and they knew they were in a spot of like, oh crap, now we have no quarterback because he doesn't want to come here, so we got to pay him that. So you're right, I mean, but they did that to themselves and how they handled that situation, it's crazy. But yeah, when it comes to rock party or anything like that, Dan, I would go, here's what we're offering. Show me who else out there is gonna offer you that kind of money or anything better, because I don't think it's gonna be out there. I don't think there's gonna be a market and everybody's gonna go, oh, I need brock Purty as my quarterback. Everybody knows brock Perty's good, but he's really good when he's with Shanahan. Shanahan's the one driving that boat there. You know, that's my opinion at least.
Speaker 2: Okay, more dangerous in the postseason if they both get in Tampa or the Rams.
Speaker 3: Well, the Rams are in right, so, But but you're who's more dangerous?
Speaker 5: Mmm?
Speaker 3: I I I guess I'll still go with the Rams, even though I am a little concerned with their offense. I am. You could see Cooper Cup is not the same guy. They have to ride Puka Nakua way too much in the passing game, right, They need to too at well, and all these guys to be healthy out there. But I'll go with them because of their experience. But man, Tampa and their defense is a little better. Tampa's defense scares me. But man, that offense, Baker Mayfield, he is he's a flame thrower right now, throwing lasers all over the field.
Speaker 2: What do you think it's like if you're with the pay you know, the Patriots are gonna have the number one pick if they lose, Like, what what is the mindset of it's best for the organization to lose this game?
Speaker 3: It's hard, It's very hard, right, There's it's hard to add ask the New York Giants last week, Right, this is these records go on the coach's gravestone. He's like, I'm not sure I'm gonna be back here. What the hell am I gonna tank? And for the next regime. I don't give a crap about that. Right Drew Locke is sitting there going, I want to play in the NFL and show everybody how good I am. I mean, I'm not gonna go out here and throw in completion so the team can have a better draft pick. It's hard to get the whole organization involved in that, and especially when you start the rookie franchise. You know, guy of the future at quarterback, you certainly want to make him look good and build on the future and do all of that as well. So, yeah, that's a tough one. It's a tough one, but I think they'll find a way to manage the game in a way where they don't win it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's organizational tanking. That's where you put people in or you take exemple out. Hey, we want to look at the you know, the future. We want to give that guy a chance.
Speaker 3: Damn Brown's are doing that right now. They're doing the same.
Speaker 2: Thing often is their tanking in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Well, I it's not as much or as easy easily done as you think. I don't. I never felt like I was on a team that was a part of it, so I never got an inside look or feel for that. But I think that with the common the modern era here, I think there's there's probably four or five teams every year who try to orchestrate it to not put their best foot forward. Like I said, you can't totally tank the game because you can't ask guys who are fighting for their careers in life to quit and not play football when they're gotten gonna get paid next year if they look like crap, But they try to do, like what you said, put the least best foot forward there in that department.
Speaker 2: The number one quarterback in college coming out is who.
Speaker 3: Gosh, it's tough right now. I mean cam Ward is the one that pops up to me. Of course, Shadeur is there as well. I was a Jalen Milroe fan, but he really struggled towards the end of the year, so I'm a little scared of him. Uh, And I don't know if he'll even come out now after that performance there, But I think it's cam Ward uh and then Shador I think it's but I think I would go cam Ward. The other guy I like it. I don't think he's gonna come out is the LSU quarterback. No Smier. Now Smyer is an NFL first round type talent, but I haven't heard about what's going to go on with him there yet.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, so always.
Speaker 3: Happy, Happy New Year. It got all right, horns up, horns up, you know it, Texas fight.
Speaker 2: Does anybody do horns down to you.
Speaker 3: All the time? I mean the whole NBC building. They like to ride me and do horns down. Do you get upset? No?
Speaker 2: No, I don't, I don't. You don't cry.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get the last laugh this year. Don't worry. They're gonna have to deal with my big mouth the rest of this year if we can win this thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Chris. That's Chris Sims, Pro Football Talk Live co host and Big Game on Sunday night, It'll be the Lions and the Vikings on NBC and Peacock Take a break. We'll come back for our Play of the day.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP, Oh My God.
Speaker 2: The Play of the day, Fireless my God.
Speaker 3: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out.
Speaker 2: Third and eight weapon.
Speaker 1: Cockball's intercepted. He is intercepting locumas sales it.
Speaker 4: Hook up Horse.
Speaker 2: They're headed home to Texas to play in a Cup Bowl. That's courtesy of the mother Ship. At your Play of the Day, Longhorns were out gained five hundred and ten to three seventy five, the worst differential in a bowl game since they were outgained by Arkansas back in twenty fourteen in the Texas Bowl. Play the Day brought to you by Rapid Radios, Instant Push to Talkualkie Talkies, clear national LTE coverage, one touch communication, Peace of Mind. For connecting with families in an emergency, Go to Rapid Radios dot com up to sixty percent off and free shipping some phone calls here. Best and worst of the weekend. Amy in Arizona, Good morning Amy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 2: Andy in Rhode Island, Hi Andy, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning Dan, Danez, Happy New year, and hey, Amy missed out on her opportunity to beat the first caller of the year, though I will be happy to take that on her roll out the red copper for the fellas. I am excited, guys. I will say that my best and worst because you know, it's really hard because you know, you guys went off for about, you know, thirteen days and so give it take. And my best is with the New England Pages possibly falling, you know, into the number one spot. Is it one of those things. Do they trade up on that or do they take genera generational talent with Travis Hunter? Because I believe that would be obvious bestments that they can make and gift attend to another team wouldn't make any sense. And also I just wanted to say then that for the most part, with Fritzie's Broncos on the fence right now, that has to be the most month most must win game of the weekend. And can I add one more thing?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 10: Okay, there's a Dana and all of us. I love you guys, and continue on doing the great things that y'all keep doing.
Speaker 2: And yeah, there's a lot of discussions that are going to happen before the draft with If the Patriots are on the clib number one, what do you do? You got your franchise quarterback? Do you take Travis Hunter? How badly does somebody want to go up and get one of these two quarterbacks? The Patriots would probably like to trade down, But can you pass on Travis Hunter? If you think that he is that guy, then you take him. I think he's fascinating because he can play both positions. I want him to be great. I want to make sure he's great at one thing. I don't want you to be good or you know, very good as a defensive back, and then he contributes as a wide receiver. I want to make sure that I'm getting greatness there at least one of them. Like Otani's a great hitter and a good pitcher, so I'm getting that novelty there. But I don't know how much I'm going to get with Travis Hunter. You know, baseball is different. You pitch one day and then you have four days to rest. This is different. You know it's going to be, hey, you just play defense, now go on offense. Can he do it? Probably to what degree? That would be my decision. That would have to factor in if I take him number one overall. Is he the best talent in the draft? Yes? Does he fit with the Patriots? Need truly need because they need help. They have no skill position players really, and Drake may even acknowledge that that he kind of goes to the line of scrimmage and aside from a running back, they don't have much. Chris and Sacramento, Hi, Chris.
Speaker 5: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call New Years of My best of the weekend is actually the Eagles fitting Sae Kwon Bartney. I'm a diehard Eagle fan. The bigger picture is more important than the record, as much as I wanted to break the Richards. And the worst of the weekend coming out of Sacramento the firing of Mike Brown. I am so disappointed on how the King's Organization runs their organization. How do you fire somebody that gets you to where you haven't gain in seventeen years, changes the whole organization's thought process, and then you say, we go on a sixth game, resistet and you say full simulator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's disappointing because I thought Sacramento had turned the corner here and by all accounts they had, and here we go again. It's just you know, people don't focus on Sacramento or this would be a big story, Like first take won't cover this if this was the Lakers or you know, a bigger market than they probably would and then it would be a bigger story. Uh, this was Golden State. But you know those Mike Brown I think was pretty critical of his players. I think dearon Fox reportedly had kind of tuned him out. I don't know if they're trading some of these players, but even after the you know, halliber and trade, like, I thought that they had it. They were dangerous, they were young. Here they come and then there they go that quickly. Doug in North Carolina, Hi Doug, welcome.
Speaker 3: Back, Hey Dan.
Speaker 11: Thinking about Ricky Henderson today in what a horrible year it's been for baseball, Willy Mays, Pete Rose, now Ricky. Any of these folks could have laid claim to being the best living ballplayer. And I wanted to see with those three people, if you had to bet, which one has their life turned into a major motion picture first Rose, Willie Mays or Ricky Henderson.
Speaker 2: Well, Pete's had documentaries already, and I think Pete resonates with people young and old. Even you know, somebody's not a diehard baseball fan. They felt like he was put in baseball purgatory and deserved to be let out. And I think because of that, then he stands above even the steroid users. It was, hey, Pete was betting on his team. People make acknowledgments or concessions with Pete, and Pete was fascinating. Ricky was fascinating when he played on the field. Willie, when he was on the field, you don't know much about him off the field. Pete. We know an awful lot about Pete on and off the field. Amy in Arizona will try it again, Hi Amy, Hi.
Speaker 9: Dan, first time, long time, five two and three quarters, a strong one to thirty three pounds, best and worst of the weekend. For me, it's it's my Arizona team being able to end the game on fourth and thirteenth. I mean that, no, cult targeting sucks, but we don't know if that field goal would have would have gone through. But yeah, that's that fourth and thirteenth call. So but I think we should hold our heads high. The coach turned this program around, and yeah, I'm proud of my team, but still very sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, huh. I mean I get it. If I would have said you're going to go into overtime or double overtime with Texas before the game started and you don't know the outcome, everyone would have signed up for that. It was a great year. It's a fun year, and maybe there's something to build on. And that coach, he's fun, he's contagious. Yeah, Mark, And.
Speaker 1: The way that game started after that return, Oh, it is about to be a long night for the Sun Devils.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm super proud of them, the way they came back. Because Scatterbow is my new favorite player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's over there throwing up on the sidelines. I mean he was. He's ready to play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paulie, if you ever been to ten prison a boot and rally as a very big thing, Yeah, you're.
Speaker 2: Over there throwing up and then you go back into the game and hammer somebody. One hour in the books, two more to go. Glad you're part of the program. Glad to be back. Dan Patrick Show,