Speaker 1: This is the OTP presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans. Farm Bureau Health Plans has been serving members and protecting their health for seventy six years. Learned about our Tennessee roots at FBHP dot com. It's Tuesday. We are roughly forty eight hours away from the NFL Draft. With coach Dave McGinnis and Rhetbrian. We call them our Titans Radio Draft duo. I'm Mike Keith, and here we go. Yesterday we talked about six questions towards drafting defense. Today six questions towards drafting offense. Rhetbrian and coach Dave McGinnis have graded roughly three hundred players for the draft, and so we start with this. Rhett, what stood out to you about this crop of offensive players that will be drafted this weekend.
Speaker 2: The first thing for me is the tight end class. It's the richest it's been in probably over ten years. In our top one hundred, if I'm not mistaken, Mac, we've got six tight ends in the top one hundred picks. And it starts with a you know, Michael Mayer from Notre Dame goes through all these guys that we have looked at whether it's Luke Musgrave or Dalton Kincaid from Utah, there's a wealth of talent there, and when you get to the bottom part of that one hundred, there is even I mean, it's just it's rich throughout this whole thing of really good talent, and not just straight up you know, big receiver type tight ends. I'm talking about blockers, you know, traditional wide type tight ends in this all different shapes and sizes.
Speaker 3: Totally agree. But I want to put the offensive lineman in there too. There's some quality offensive lineman both on the edge and in that triangle in this draft, and I think fairly deep into this draft too. So those two positions, to me are what stood out the most.
Speaker 1: All Right, Coach Mack, you lead with question two. Who is the best offensive player in the twenty twenty three draft?
Speaker 3: John Robinson running back from Texas. Wow, just pure running, just pure football player.
Speaker 1: Do you have a comp I know you hate comps, but many people haven't seen Bjon.
Speaker 4: Robinson, Ladadian Tomlinson.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's pretty good. This guy is just a football player, really good football player. Texas is really an anomaly for a lot of us that watch a lot of college football because they've got talent that sometimes doesn't perform up to the five star that they are coming out. This guy's a really talented football player at a position that is not as highly valued anymore in today's National Football League as it was in the past, but really good player Red Bryant.
Speaker 2: It's quarterback Bryce Young for me, and it's just you know, you see the body of work he did at Alabama, and I don't care what size he is, all of those things. When you look at the quarterback and the leader that he is and the body of work he's put together, he's the top of the list. And I think the mainly my my answer and my reason for that answer is because it's scific position specific quarterback is you know where all this leads with and anticipating he'll be.
Speaker 1: The first pick taken, all right, taking out b Jeon Robinson and Bryce Jahn, who is the second best offensive player in this draft.
Speaker 2: Rerat you can't take out b Jeon Robinson because that's who I had as the.
Speaker 1: Second it is I mean, yes, I have yeah, yeah, oppos It didn't work.
Speaker 5: Who wrote this? It worked? I don't know who wrote this.
Speaker 3: No, it's terrible because no it worked because these are two legitimate answers.
Speaker 5: Well and Bijon just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: He's the most talented running back coming out of college since the twenty eighteen draft when we saw Kuon Barkley. This guy's a three down back. I mean tons of yards after contact and just a natural talent. And honestly, I think he is the different is the definition of what the modern current day NFL running back is, being a three down back who can help you out of the backfield.
Speaker 1: There are some people who believe he will fall to like twenty. There's a lot of speculation right now too that Atlanta might take him at eight. You know, Arthur Smith, you helped to train Arthur Smith as a coach in this league. Dave McGinnis, does he get past Atlanta? Who'd Arthur take last year?
Speaker 3: You know, he took the tidy end right and nobody thought everybody, but this was an offensive weapon that could be used multiple ways. Arthur uses his players multiple ways. This is an Arthur Smith kind.
Speaker 5: Of guy, easily. Yeah, you think that happens. RHT.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't happen there, I mean, their speculation about it being pick ten with the Philadelphia Eagles which.
Speaker 1: Would make a lot of sense because in terms of what his cap cost would be. And remember for first round picks, they're basically slotted in essence two to two and a half percent above what they got last year. So you can just look at what guy's got last year in that slot, add two to two and a half percent and that's going to be it.
Speaker 5: And Miles Sanders is in Carolina, well, and that's it.
Speaker 1: I mean, their whole running back room last year cost less than six million dollars in cap cost. If you took Bjon Robinson, not only would you upgrade for Jalen Hurts, which is crazy to think he would have a better back play behind him than the group that played with him last year, but.
Speaker 5: It would actually be cheaper. It's huge. I mean, it makes total sense.
Speaker 1: I don't think he falls past Philadelphia, especially considering that Philly also has the thirtieth pick.
Speaker 5: Overall, they've got two picks on night one.
Speaker 3: Now, see something you bring up, something that really educates the listeners, the OT people here when you're in draft rooms, not just on draft day. These are the conversations that general managers, head coaches and staffs have leading up the months leading up to this draft, about cap fits, about cap fits in the future, and about stacking your roster position wise so that it starts to interlock with one another. That's a very very valid point, Mike.
Speaker 5: We're through two questions.
Speaker 1: We've got four more to go on offense on this edition of the OTP with Dave McGinnis and Rhett Bryan. Hey Titans fans, It's hard to decide what's the best part of a dunkin run. Is it the coffee or is it the one dollar classic donut or the two dollars stuffed bagel minis or the three dollars sausage, egg and cheese that you can add to that coffee, or the fact that you can leave the office. The answer, of course is yes, time for a dunkin run. Great deals on food for one, two or three dollars with a medium or larger coffee. America runs on duncan. Let's get running with question number three. All right, Coach Mack, who is the most highly rated offensive player that might drop for whatever reason? Jackson Smith and Gieba from Ohio State the wide receiver because of his hamstring issues miss a significant amount of time last year, the year before and you put the year before tape on, you can see what this guy is. This guy is going to be a starting receiver in the National Football League as soon as he steps on sampus.
Speaker 4: But when you start.
Speaker 3: Looking at soft tissue issues that have kept a player out that long, it's gonna make it's gonna make some people pause. And again it's it's per draft room and it's per organization what you are willing to risk.
Speaker 1: But that's the guy to me, Coach Mack says, Jackson Smith and Jigba.
Speaker 5: What does Rhet Bryan say?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean mine was b Jon Robinson just because of the position that he plays at, and you know how the running back is somewhat devalued in this and we talked about him not falling past ten to the Philadelphia Eagles, but I mean, if they don't take him there and they take a defensive prospect, there's a chance he falls pretty far, not out of the first round. But at eighteen to the Detroit Lions is another place for him because they've they've always been looking for a running back since Barry Sanders hung them up. And then at twenty six for the Cowboys and at twenty seven for the Buffalo Bills are also spots he could fall to.
Speaker 1: I think Detroit is really interesting because they have six and eighteen, and so they can get in a situation. I think they stick and pick at six because I think they're going to want to get a great player. But if he he being Bjon Robinson, doesn't go at ten, I wonder if Detroit is not the team that calls Tennessee and says we want a trade to eleven to go up and get Bjon Robinson. Because they have five picks in the first three rounds. I mean, they've got a lot of depth. They're certainly a much better team. Adding weapons right now for that team where they are in their development would make a ton of sense.
Speaker 3: And remember this, just on your scenario, Brad Holmes and Ran Carthon work together in the same building for five years, very closely on putting the Rams team together, all right, you know?
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 2: Who knows watch Detroit? Yeah, I don't listen. I don't think they're in love with DeAndre Swift. And how many picks have we seen them over the years row at a running back position to try to come up with an answer. Now they've done more with wide receiver than anything.
Speaker 1: But they have a pretty good history with a couple of running backs throughout their time. I mean, especially Barry Sanders, understanding what a difference a guy like that could make to golf or whatever they're going to do going forward. I mean they've they've hit on some receivers, certainly haven't quite hit where they want to on tight ends, but they may be able to get a guy like that going forward. We'll see. That's pretty good ball club. They went nine to eight, and you have to feel like the NFC North is wide open. So that's why I say, I think you've got to watch them. I think again, I think they stick and pick at six and then I think they use eighteen to potentially leverage back up.
Speaker 3: Well, I think discounting what they've done in the past, right, you've got a second year GM and you've got a first year GM that. Believe me, I was in the same building with them for five years doing this right here. They work very very closely together along with Ray Agnew, who is the assistant GM for Brad Now in Detroit. So these guys understand one another and their draft philosophy very well.
Speaker 1: All right, So let me go through that before I ask the next question on our list about offense. So those guys have that kind of relationship. Absolutely, Again, you work with people who you have those relationships with, understanding that you might have to set something up before it is that something they would say, listen, if our player is there at eleven, here's what we're willing to offer you, so you could make the call that quickly to the league and get the trade in.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've the terms may be lined up theoretically.
Speaker 3: No, No, yeah, I mean, but I'm just saying the only reason I can say this.
Speaker 4: With some pretty good clarity.
Speaker 3: I've done it, right, I've done it, and that's exactly what you do do. I mean, we did it with the Titans with Jared Goff, right, So I mean that's just the most recent, you know, that I've been involved in, and there's been several others.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Question four, what is the best case scenario for an offensive player for the Titans at number eleven?
Speaker 2: Read for me, naturally, if one of those quarterbacks are sitting there for multiple reasons, one, if it's one they like and want to take, okay go, and if not, maybe someone calls Ran Carthon and you get some more capital that you need. That's the first thing. Second thing, if one of these top tackles, like if Peter Scronsky is sitting there, go same thing with Broderick Jones. I mean, I think you know there's a chance you might have one of those sitting there. You could have the pick of the litter with these tight ends that we started this podcast with. But a top tackle maybe quarterback for for those reasons.
Speaker 3: Paris Johnson, junior, Okay Mohio State. Uh, that to me is the best scenario.
Speaker 1: He's a big tackle. You see, he's a big athletic tackle. People saw the footwork at the Ohio State workout and that was shown over and over and over again on Twitter, and people are like, what's this. I mean, he's he's pretty special.
Speaker 4: It's a dude.
Speaker 1: Let me go back to something Red mentioned tight ends and I want to see because it feels like you've alluded to this, but I want to I want to sort of dive down on a little bit more. Are there more elite tight ends very safely in your top one hundred than there are elite wide receiver prospects.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'll give you the tight ends that we've got. We keep talking about this mythical top one hundred. I mean, here's what Ret and I came up with. Michael Mayer from Notre Dame, Dalton ken Kid from Utah, Luke Musgrave from Oregon State, who we were we're gonna. Can I just say I love him? Yeah, And that's why I looked at you, Uh, Darnell. I can tell who you like when we go to see you.
Speaker 5: When I hugged him and he didn't know it.
Speaker 3: Uncomfortable when you know, when you yelled at me across the ballrooms.
Speaker 4: Had come over here and talk to this guy, cause.
Speaker 5: I did want you to meet Yeah, because he because you know his.
Speaker 4: Uncle I do.
Speaker 3: I didn't hire his uncle, uh Darnell, not for any bad reasons. Darnell Washington from Georgia, Tucker Craft from South Dakota State, Sam Laporta from Iowa. I'm in the top one hundred now, Luke Schoonmaker from Michigan, and then right on the fringe of this, Brenton Strange from Penn State.
Speaker 1: So let me see if I feel this right. If if you're if you're sticking with your board and you're talking about an elite player, you could theoretically take a tight end over a wide receiver, you know, in terms of first, second round, whatever, with the thought process being this is just a more elite player who stays on.
Speaker 5: The field more.
Speaker 2: I think so, yes, yeah, And again at eleven, which is what the question is. I believe you'd have your pick of the litter there of the Titans.
Speaker 5: Would one be worth that? Mmmm? Okay?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, so I'm gonna move on. I know, I'm just asking questions. That's all I'm doing. We're on the OTP. This is how we're doing it, all right. Question five is this Nicholas Pettifrere was an incredible draft bargain for the Tennessee Titans early in the third round last year. Each of you give me two offensive prospects that could be there for the Titans at number seventy two, the Titans picking the third round that would have the same type of value as Patifree.
Speaker 5: We'll go Sam.
Speaker 3: Laporta, the tight end from Iowa that I just said, and then go to the receiver route Marvin Mahams Junior from Oklahoma. This is a speed guy. This is a vertical speed fast, fast, fast dude. It's got a pretty nice catch radius.
Speaker 5: Even.
Speaker 3: The thing about this wide receiver group, Mike, for our listeners, I know you know this because you study this hard too. It's completely different than it has been in the last several years. There's not that many six two, six, three sixty four big long receivers. Now they're the five to nine, five ten speed guys. Great short area of quickness guys. This is one of them.
Speaker 2: For me, Mike, I'm gonna go receiver and tight end on mine, and I'm going to go with one of the bigger receivers in this that would be a value in day two, and that's Jonathan Mingo from Old Miss. He's six two plus two twenty five seventeen yards per catch average in his career at Old Miss. I think that's somebody that can help the Titans. And then the last tight end that Mack mentioned in our top one hundred, Luke Schoonmaker from Michigan.
Speaker 5: What do you like about him?
Speaker 2: He is, First of all, he is quick than he appears to be in this all right. First of all, he's six five two fifty one arms thirty two and seven eights inches, hands, nine wings seventy eight and an eighth four to six three in the forties. What he did the combine but he had a thirty three and a half inch forvert had a ten to seven broad and you see him. He's he can block. But he also was used as a red zone threat from Michigan in twenty twenty two. Average ten yards per catch in his last two years at Michigan and six touchdowns in there and not a lot of drops. He's just a guy I think that you could get in probably round three that is of value.
Speaker 1: Seat Geek is now the official ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titans. That's right, the deal is finalized in Seat Geek is the newest member of the Titans family. If you haven't heard the name yet, get used to it because you'll be hearing it a lot more this season. Whether you're buying or selling tickets to the Titans games or to any other live event in Nashville. Seat Geek is the place to do it. Seat Geeg the new official ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titans. So Titans fans fan, all right, are we ready for question six?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? I love this these.
Speaker 1: We're talking about offense. Yesterday was defense, Today is offense Day.
Speaker 5: Three.
Speaker 1: Give me an offensive position group where the Titans can find great value on Saturday goes First.
Speaker 2: I'm going to start with the interior offensive line. There are some guards and centers, like Mac has said when we started this OTP, the triangle players, they run pretty deep in this. And I'm going to start with a couple of guys, one of which is a Michigan Wolverine olu Ola with Teamy. We saw him at the Senior Bowl. He's a Virginia transfer six two and a half three oh nine. He was the Remington and the Outland Trophy winner in his one year at Michigan. And it's a guy that played I think most of his games at right guard, but had played some games at tackle as well, so there's some versatility there. And then there's another one that I really like from LSU, Anthony Bradford. He had twelve games at right guard, five at left tackle. He's six four three thirty two and as coach Mack would say, he's not an empty chairs. He's certainly somebody that I would look for as a late round pick in this. And then I'm going to go also wide receiver at Perry from wake Forest six three and a half one ninety eight twenty four hundred plus yards in his last two years at Wake Forest, eleven touchdowns, good long speed on vertical routes. Has had some dropsy issues, but I think that's something that Rob Moore could work with him on. There's a wealth of stuff in the back end of this draft.
Speaker 3: On offense, Okay Brett gave us three, I'll give you four. Wide receiver, Let's stay there. Xavier Hutchison from Iowa State, got some length to him, got a little bit of speed, Pretty crafty receiver. Offensive tackle Nick Salaverari from Old Dominion. This is a big athletic dude, raw, but you're talking about day three here. Can he also play guard? I possibly could. He's a big dude. Mike tight end I got loos Luke schoon Maker right here. Luke Schoonmaker to me is a guy that can do a pretty good of both, just as Rhett gave a great description of him. But his blocking is better than some of these guys that will probably go before him, just because that's the way it works right now with people you know using tight ends to be sometimes primary receivers in their offense.
Speaker 5: And then my.
Speaker 3: Offensive guard that I've got written right here. And Rett and I don't talk before this. We talk a lot in the last three months. We're sick of each other. But is Anthony Bradford the guard from LSU both like yes, you both like schoonmaker?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Interesting?
Speaker 1: All right, So let me quiz you on one ratt another guy that I really like at the Senior Bowl and think he's a good player also, so I'm play in the Southeastern Conference. Does a Meal Echi center guard out of Alabama have a chance to fall into Day three or do you think he goes the first two days? No?
Speaker 2: I think he would be a Day three candidate in this. And you know, we heard the story from Jim Naggy, the senior director of the Senior Bowl, you know, in that you know, Nick Saban calls him and says, hey, give him a shot at center, right, he can do this. So it's a versatile guy in him. Man, he's a big dude, big anchor who played in a massive, you know program in the Southeastern Conference. Yeah, he absolutely somebody that would be of value for someone in Day three.
Speaker 3: Emiliek you are we have him around the one twenty range, so that's fourth round.
Speaker 4: You know kind of at the top of that fourth round.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's six two three fourteen and he is versatile because he proved that he could snap the ball and still get to his blocks at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 5: Another interior alignment.
Speaker 1: I'm interested in Jerome Carvin from Tennessee played sixty games there. Don't know if I don't know if he's a drafted player. I don't know if he goes later than that, But he's that type of guy you're trying to find who can make your practice squad, can eventually make your roster, can play more than one position. You're always looking for those O linemen who always seems always seem to drop because there are more of them and because teams sort of get fixated on. Oh I can't believe this edge rusher's still here. Oh, I can't believe this safety is still here.
Speaker 4: Well, we're doing the draft with a guy right here that that happened with. Who's that Ramone Foster?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: Ramone Foster wasn't undrafted and only spent eleven years with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 5: So there we go. That was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Ramone will join us for our coverage on Thursday night at sixth and Peabody. You're invited, presented by Pinnacle Coach Mack will be there, Rett Bryan will be there, I Mike Keith will be there, and also Brat Hopkins, former Titans Pro Bowl left tackle, will join us for the opening hour of our coverage. Excited about all of that, certainly appreciate our friends at Farm Bureau Health Plans. See how much you can save on your health coverage with Farm Bureau Health Plans. Get a quote at FBHP dot com for coach Dave mcginnison, Rett Brian, I'm Mike Keith, thanking you for listening to the OTP on Tuesday and prem.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the big Show. Well the Magsine's calling. Ever body knows its