Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're getting the hell out of Chicago for the holiday weekend. High's of sixty and low's of forty four for Memorial Day. It's almost June, Chicago, get your shit together. It's Friday, May twenty third, and on today's show, we'll be chatting with legendary hockey player Hillary Knight about her season two PWHL reflections, her analysis of the current Walter Cup final series between the Minnesota frosted Outawa charge, and her announcement this week that next year's Winter Olympics will be her last. Plus Northwestern's golf team mix history, got the FC's got a chance at a championship and a women's hockey what the fact that'll make you say, what the fuck? That's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices, Happy Friday. Here's what you need to know today to golf. Northwestern won the NCAA Women's Golf National Championship on Wednesday, upsetting top seed at Stanford to win the Wildcat It's first ever NCAA title in the sport. It was Northwestern junior Diana Lee who secured the title, making a four foot putt on the eighteenth hole for the win More Golf. The LPGA has announced that Craig Kessler has been selected as the organization's next commissioner. Kessler, the Chief Operating Officer of the PGA of America, will take over from Molly Marcusseman, who stepped down from the role in January. In a statement, Kessler said, he's looking forward to redefining what's possible for the organization. Quite honestly, we're looking forward to that too. We believe in you, LPGA, come on to the NWSL. The Boston Legacy expansion team has announced that the club will play its inaugural season home games at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts, due to delays with the development of the team's planned home venue, White Stadium. In a statement, the club said, while construction at White Stadium is underway, it's not expected to be finished in time for kickoff in March of twenty twenty six. Little background here, ever, Since Boston was awarded an expansion team in twenty twenty three, the club's plans to renovate White Stadium have been mired in controversy and slowdowns. The project is a public private one, meaning that renovation costs are being covered by both the owners of Boston Legacy as well as public taxpayer funding. The long term plan is for the Boston Legacy to share the facility with other community and school teams. The city and Boston Public Schools will be the owners of the renovated stadium and will have priority in scheduling games there, which could cause additional scheduling challenges for the Legacy down the road. More soccer, The inaugural final of the CONCACAF Women's Championship Cup is set. The NWSL's Gotham FC will compete against Tigris UNL of Lega Mxfeminil this Saturday ten pm Eastern kickoff. This tournament actually began last year, with club teams from North, South and Central America competing in the group stage from August through October in order to advance to this week's semifinals and final. To reach the final, Gotham defeated Club America of Lega Mxfeminial three to one on Wednesday, while Tigris Unal beat the Portland Thorns two ozho. The winner of Saturday's championship game we'll secure a spot in both the inaugural FIFA Women's Champions Cup in twenty twenty six and the FIFA Women's Club World Cup in twenty twenty eight. More soccer. Just because Gotham's competing for NWSL Pride down in Mexico doesn't mean the rest of the league is on pause. There are two NWSL regular season games tonight, with the Utah Royals hosting the Orlando Pride at nine to thirty pm Eastern and the Seattle Rain hosting the Washington Spirit at ten pm Eastern. Then there are three games on Saturday, including one between the top ranked Kansas City Current and last place Chicago Stars. Gee wonder who's going to win that one? That's right, Chicago, baby, I can feel it him a bones. We'll link to the full NWSL weekend schedule in our show notes to the PWHL where Minnesota and Ottawa met for Game number two of the Walter Cup Finals on Thursday night, and Ottawa now leads the series two oh or maybe Minnesota even at up one to one. Clearly we're recording this before the final, but no matter what happened, we're excited to see what happens in Game three on Saturday, when the series heads to Minnesota. We'll link to the full PWHL playoff schedule and results in the show notes, and they should hopefully be a little more up to date than this recording. Plus we'll have plenty more on the PWHL later in this episode with Boston Fleet captain Hillary Knight. Also, a fun little music and hockey crossover just happened in Mini where a member of Jelly Rolls band was rocket a Minnesota Frost jersey on stage as the band performed in Minneapolis this week, and my friend Brant Feldbin, who's an agent over in the PWHL, sent over some photos of a few of jelly Roll's band members skating with Minnesota Frost coaches and reserve players who didn't make the trip to Ottawa. Very cool to tennis, the French Open gets underway on Sunday, with top seed Arena Sabalnka opening her tournament against Kamila Rahimova and second seeded Coco Golf set to take on Olivia Gadeki. Meantime, Igaspontek will be aiming for her fourth straight title at Roland Garros, but after a few months of rocky play, she fell out of the top four heading into this year's competition, so she's seated fifth overall. More French Open News, TNT, the new US rights holder, has plans to shake things up a little in the tennis world. They want to mike up players for interviews with TNT's broadcast team during warmups, as well as coaches for conversations in between sets, but we'll have to wait and see how it actually pans out, per Offle announcing TNT has not yet approached players to get their side off, to mikee them on the practice courts, or to make up their coaches who are employees of those players during matches. We'll see how it goes to the WNBA. And an update on a story you might have seen on social media. Indiana Fever forward Sophie Cunningham has denied allegations that she was involved in an affair with Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury CEO Josh Bartlestein during her time playing for the franchise, saying that the accusation is false and calling out media organizations who published the accusation without asking her for comment first. In a post on social media, Cunningham wrote, in part quote, I am deeply saddened by the recent false accusations made against me by Jane Trailer, someone I do not know and have never met. Let me be clear, his statements are untrue and extremely hurtful. End quote. Cunningham's anger is warranted, but I just want to be clear on the fact. So Trailer didn't make the accusation, though it was surfaced via his lawsuit. Let me explain. The mnba's Phoenix Suns organization has been under fire for several years, dating back to previous ownership, with accusations of workplace misconduct and discrimination. Now promises a big change were made by new owner Matteshbia, who bought the Sons In Mercury in twenty twenty three, but the accusations have continued, and a lawsuit filed earlier this month by Trailer mentions cunning him in it. Trailer, the Sun's director of safety, security and risk management, accuses the organization of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, and one of his claims is that he warned the franchise that another member of the organization was spreading that rumor about Cuttingham and Bartolstein. He says his concerns were ignored even after he told Bartlestein himself about the rumors. Earlier this week, the Suns issued a denial to the statement of the lawsuit, saying, on Tuesday, quote the recent reports concerning Josh Bartlestein and Sophie Cunningham are entirely false and morally reprehensible. End quote more WNBA news. According to multiple reports, on Thursday, owners of the New York Liberty sold shares in the team at a record valuation of four hundred and fifty million dollars, the highest valuation for a women's pro sports franchise. Per the reports, the capital raised from the sale represents a percentage share in the mid teens, and the money will be applied toward construction of a practice facility in Brooklyn. More hoops. This weekend is chock full of WNBA games to enjoy. Tonight's selection starts off strong with the Connecticut Sun visiting the undefeated Minnesota Links at seven thirty pm Eastern. Tune in as the Sun try to pick up their first win of the season on Ion or WNBA League Pass. Then there are two games on Saturday, one of which is the Indiana Fever hosting the defending champion New York Liberty at one pm. Eastern on Ion that should offer some great pace and offensive fireworks. Then on side Monday, four more games, all available on League Pass or local broadcast channels. Will link to that full WNBA schedule in our show notes. A little motorsports news friend of the show, Catherine leg is racing this Saturday in the NASCAR Expinity Series bet MGM three hundred event at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in North Carolina. She'll be racing in an ELF branded car and fire suit, competing with the Jordan Anderson Racing Team. Good luck Catherine, and good luck Elf. By the way, shout out to ELF for sending me a goodie bag of stuff, including this yummy gummy Glow Reviver melting lip balm, which has quickly become my new favorite. I'm obsessed. Finally, a little news for the put women's sports on TV and make am easy to find. Crowd streaming platform Fubo TV now has a women's sports hub, making it easier for fans to find live games and documentaries. The streaming platform already offered comprehensive WNBA coverage, as users could already stream games on Ion, ABC, ESPN, CBS, and NBA TV, but the new hub means that those games will be easier to find. We got to take a quick break slices when we come back. It's Hillary Knight. I caught up with her yesterday. I had of game two of the PWHL finals stick around joining us now. She's one of the greatest hockey players of all time, at Olympic gold medalist and three time Olympic silver medallist, a ten time world champion and five time world runner up. She's a member of Team USA, the captain of the PWHL's Boston Fleet, and one of three finalists for the PWHL's top honor, the Billie Jean King MVP Award. She won the inaugural Isabelle Cup in the now defunct NWHL with the Boston Pride. Was a two time national champion with the Wisconsin Badgers, and she spent part of her childhood living in my hometown of Lake Forest, Illinois. Her girlfriend is an Olympic speed skater. Her dog is a cutie patuna named Bain. She coats her floors and pledged so she can skate around on her socks, and she'll cook you a meal using her patented slap chopped method. Google it people, It's Hillary Knight. What's up, Hillary?
Speaker 2: How's it going? What an intro?
Speaker 1: Thank you? Thank you? Is slap chopped? The most ridiculous video you've ever done? Or is there another that comes to mind?
Speaker 2: No, honestly, I keep you know, my younger teammates find these gems and they bring them up, and I was hoping that they were buried. But the internet's a weird place where, you know, it just keeps rolling, lives forever. I'd like to say yes, but I know you never know.
Speaker 1: Are we still coating the floors with pledge?
Speaker 2: We are not? We are not. Yeah, that was a good learning experience. It was fun for a while, and then when the dog starts slipping, it's just it's not worth it.
Speaker 1: I had a feeling the dog might have come into play there. What's the most fun thing you've gotten to do? Because you've done a lot of cool stuff in addition to the silly and ridiculous. Was it a TV show, an awards show, a movie premiere? Like something cool you've been asked to do or gotten to do over the many years of being the face of hockey.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I've I mean, I've had the privilege to do so many fun things. I'd say the first thing that pops to mind, and I know afterwards and be like, oh, I should have thought of this. But I was able to meet Obama and that was like the coolest thing. A friend like worked in the White House at the time and he's like, oh, like, can you just like come visit me for this thing? And I was like, yeah, no problem, would love to just like follow you around for the day. And he's like, oh, just wait right here, and I'm like looking around. I was like, this office looks like mighty important. And Obama comes in. I was like, what.
Speaker 1: Is so cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that was That's definitely the top of mind thing because I was like, it wasn't like the you know, you get to meet the president's you know, after the Olympics and stuff, and you kind of go through the handshake line and you meet all of them. But to kind of have that touch point.
Speaker 1: At one on one out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: I was just like, holy moment. And then I was like, please be a hockey.
Speaker 1: Fan, right right. I was going to tell you that no matter what you said, it couldn't top being on Saturday Night Live, because that's my dream, but meeting Obama might be the only thing, might be the only thing.
Speaker 2: I knew it like as soon as I said one thing, another thing would pop up. But yeah, like Leslie Jones like, oh my gosh, Leslie Jones like Olympic coverage is epic. And then when she was over there, I was like, no way, no way, this is happening. And so like when that invite came through, it was crazy because there was some sort of not a snowstorm, but something happened and the train stopped running and I was in DC at the time, like the day before, and I was supposed to take the train into the city. And I remember calling my agent being like, oh my gosh, like I think, like all the trains are down, but I am not missing this opportunity.
Speaker 1: So I had an uber Oh my gosh, and.
Speaker 2: I uber to New York City and I messaged the guy like when he came to pick me up, I was like just so you know, like is it okay we drive to New York City? I know it's really far away, and he's like yeah, sure, sure.
Speaker 1: That's another level. Like sometimes they cancel when you're like going to the airport, but Neil kidding, who'd you expense that one?
Speaker 2: To? Oh? I sent now perfect, perfect, But we had to stop like halfway a long way and I remember being like, oh, this is like he could just like leave me here. Yeah, this rest strap if you really wanted to, oh man, And he gave me like the second key to the car, and I was like cool.
Speaker 1: Whoa, Okay, that's pretty epic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wore my metal underneath my sweatshirt when I went in to use the restroom because I was like in the cars right, yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh my gosh, memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's really bad ass. I'm one day I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna I've gone to watch twice. I am going to be on it. I'm putting that in the universe for the eight millionth time. If there is a god, she must hear me now, and that will need to happen before the day I die. Okay, let's talk the news of the week, because you have just recently announced that the Milan Courtina Olympics will be your last. Tell me about that decision.
Speaker 2: I mean, quite a heavy decision for me, just because I've grown up in this program and been with USA Hockey for so many years literally kind of while to think about, like how long I've played so far, And my team kind of brought it up to me, like our like agency, it's like, what do you think, like will this be your last one? Just like prompting questions, right, And I was like, oh my gosh, like I haven't even thought about that, And so I thought about it a lot throughout this year and I was like, I mean, yeah, you know, I feel so fulfilled. I'm really confident with where we are on the world stage. Obviously I want to continue to keep on winning, but yeah, I think it's just it's time and the prospect of signing up for another quad, I don't know, you know, so a long time. Yeah, So in terms of Olympics, like, yeah, definitely twenty twenty six, and I would love to go out with a bang. That way would be ideal. I mean, anything can happen, right, Like, I still need to plot my way and make the team and all that fun things and stay healthy. But yeah, I'm really fulfilled from an Olympic standpoint. Good, So that's exciting.
Speaker 1: But you have said you planned to play in the PWHL after Milan. No need to put a timeline on that just yet. But what about Team Usay, if you're not gonna play for another full cycle, will you stick around after Olympics or does it feel cleaner to be done after Milan?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I think I might stick around. You know, I've always had this if I can continue to make a positive impact in that program, you know, and sort of pass the torch in that way, make sure we're in a good spot with you know, all the turnover that naturally just happens after the Olympics. And yeah, I think you know, I'm still one of the best players in the world, so I'd love to continue that dominance and bring more World Championship trophies back to the US. But yeah, no, I think it's just it's exciting. I mean, at first, it was really daunting to even think about like an end point for anything. And I was like, well, I don't know, would it feels weird to sam done after twenty twenty six and then keep playing pro And you know, to me, now those are two very separate things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, which is nice. You know, you also have some records you can add too, so if you could keep playing in World Championships, we can build those leads you've got because recent World Championships. Just a couple of months ago, you helped Team USA to another win four three o two win over Canada, your tenth World title, which is insane, and then during the tournament you break the record for most career assists at Worlds. You now have the record at World's four assists, goals and points. What's the predominant feeling you have when I read that, when I say all that you've accomplished there, Wow.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I've played with some amazing players. I've been on some great teams, so like the individual awards feel uncomfortable, I'd say to me, And I think definitely, at some point in my life when I'm able to have like a healthy reflection on everything, be like wow, like I was a total badass. But no, the World Championship wins like that to me is just epic. You know, having ten is just I mean, that's a that's a body of work right there. And to be a part of those teams, to help lead those teams, to be a small or big piece in those teams. Yeah, it's really cool to have that number for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I think it's really hard for athletes who are as great as you have been and continue to be to figure out do I want to just be done at some point, or do I want to tell people when I'm going to be done and know that everyone at every one of my last games will know that this is it. It's going to feel like a lot. Maybe all the opponents will give me a gift and then it'll feel like a big deal and I can't just focus on the hockey. But it sounds like you are in a really a place of peace about how it all goes down, and it's cool that you do get to keep playing after the Olympics for something meaningful, Like a few years ago, it would have been a lot harder to know whether it was worth returning to something like the professional league that you were in, whether it was the money or the resources, or the interest or the fans. Because the PWHL has gotten off to such an incredible start when you choose to say goodbye to the Olympics, you can still play in a meaningful way after and not have it be three years earlier than you want, because that just happens to be what the Olympics cycle is.
Speaker 2: That's cool totally, and I think too, like it's no like I like to win, right, Like I love winning. And you know, when I think about the inaugural season with the PWHL, when I think about the landscape of pro sports in the city of Boston, I want to bring a Walter cumb back to that city. And that is like that's gonna be the new Crosshairs, right.
Speaker 1: So okay, look out.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah so and obviously this expansion, everything's gonna get blown up and you know, who knows what's gonna happen. But I want that so bad for this city too. And so you know when I was like, ah, like being done with the Olympic and I still play pro kind of thing, like is that weird? And it's like, how is that weird? You know, I'm just saying, like I'm not signing up for another quad. So I really want to embrace this twenty twenty six cycle for sure and really take it all in. And I'm really glad that that question was prompted months ago so I could now be more at peace with it. Yeah, and just hey, you know, and it too, like it's great for like our younger players on the team now, like you know, it's whoa like we're gonna step up, you know. So I think there's so many great things that come out of it. Obviously it's my career is something also to be celebrated, and it's cool because you know, even looking I don't usually go into dms for Instagram or anything, but someone sent me one. But I was just like on the couch the older day. I was like, what, you know, what does this look like? And they just said like thank you, like I inspired them in some sort of way, and it was just it was cool because we lace up, we play this game that we love and sometimes, you know, we talk about it, but sometimes we lose that perspective of having that impact through the thing that we love, and so like that was like a really cool moment where it's like, you know, it was sort of bittersweet, right, like yeah, but it just goes to show like what these careers can do for people. Obviously given me everything, but you know, I'd like to think that it's had positive impact on other people's wealth.
Speaker 1: So absolutely, you know, I want to get to your goals with Boston. But just to wrap on the international stuff, I'm curious how it's felt playing Canada in the last couple of major international tournaments. Now that you're not relying on centralization camps with national teams to prep, but you're prepping sort of together against the enemy, has it been hard to hate them as much as you used to.
Speaker 2: Kind of and then know? At the same time, I will say, like, it's hard from like a you don't have the same touch points with like just Team USA teammates all the time, and because of the ebbs and flows of the pro season, it's like sometimes you're in survival mode trying to get to the next game and recovering and whatnot, and you really have to be focused on the pro landscape and your team. But yeah, I'd say that the only downfall is not having as many touch points and being as connected I think, like off the ice and knowing you know, what everyone's going through in personal lives and stuff. But we kind of just pick up where we left off when the team gets together. But yeah, in some ways, you almost want to beat more now, you know. And in the spillover right, like it's you know, something happens in an international game, does it spill over the Pro series? You know, vice versa. It's it's really interesting to kind of see how this has become its own beast and you're seeing better games now at the international level. It's not just US versus Canada.
Speaker 1: And you're you're all learning from each other in practice, learning what each other does well what each other. Yeah, all right, let's talk p WHL. Because your Boston Fleet finished with the same number of points as the third and fourth place squads, but just missed out on the postseason after a loss on the very last day of action. That is a heartbreaking way to see your season and when you're that close. I'm so sorry to ask, I have to, I.
Speaker 3: Have only like a loss was just it was such a heartbreaking experience to go through because I love our fans and God blessed them for continuing to stay and cheer us on till the very last minute.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like it just goes to show that every single game, every single point was standings matters, right, Like, we had an opportunity to close out and secure a playoff spot, you know, well in advance of that last game, and unfortunately came down to the last game and the fashion that we lost was super unfortunate. But yeah, it's it's frustrating, and then to build off you know, the year before we got really lucky. New York did some wonky things for us, and we were able to find a playoff fit out of nowhere, being what like twelve or fifteen points back after Worlds something like that. Like it was insane. So it every game matters, and you know, I think now being in year two, going to year three, you know, it's that's definitely gonna be a mindset shift for us in Boston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you think was missing this season? I know you did get some luck on the way to making it to the finals last year, but you did end up in the finals. What was missing?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you always want to be control of your own destiny, right, and you never want to leave it up to chance. And you know two years we kind of we've done that, and so yeah, it uh, you know, I joke around talking shop all the time, but you know, I think it's just every single shift matters, and I think being able to generate and feed and build off of one another's momentum will put Boston in a better place next year.
Speaker 1: So get everyone to understand the urgency, get everyone else there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you know it's tough, like we were playing a full contact like it is. It is not fun sometimes, Like we just came back from break, now we're up in Toronto against their fans. You know, it's those are hard games. Like we have tough schedules, but I think when you realize everyone else has a tough schedule in the league, it you know, it's go time and we need to be ready to embrace an opportunity to really control, you know, where we want to be in postseason. And yeah, and I think you know it's hard is we have such a great room and so like we have that going for us, and so that's usually the hardest thing to have in a great room. So we just need that to translate and to the on ice, and I think we're gonna be in a great spot.
Speaker 1: Season finale leaves a tough taste in your mouth, that eight to one loss. And it's the Frost who you lost to in the Walter Cup finals last season, So safe to say they're the biggest rivals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're big. I think everyone in the league is, to be honest, like it's small enough. It feels like a blood bath out there, you know, regardless of who you're playing against. But yeah, I mean I was looking at the schedule. I saw Fross as the last game we're at home. You know, I think everyone's thinking it. We had the three nothing loss in the Walter Cup Finals last year, and you know, we were really excited going into that game, and it just, you know, it just goes a show, like a bounce here, bounce there. It's it can be.
Speaker 1: That's the worst part of sports that I always felt that way, no matter how hype I got, no matter how prep di I got, no matter how much I felt like my mindset was right, Like you just don't know, and that sucks. It sucks, but it teaches you great lessons for life. The season's now over, which means, of course, in the hockey world, everyone went to get surgery. Everyone's lower body injuries and upper body injuries and all the body injuries get revealed to be like extremely severe and everyone talks about how were they skating with that? So tell us what yours was? What was your injury? What was your surgery?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think everyone's just banged up, but mine is just uh yeah, I had to get surgery on Thursday, So that was not ideal. But you know, it's it's just part of the game. I don't know if hockey players are just like built different. There's like a level of stoicism, there's a love of craziness where you just feel so impassioned to fulfill your duty and responsibility to other teammates, and sometimes you just need to take a step back and be like you were absolutely crazy. But yeah, that's taken care of. Yeah, I you know, felt like I didn't have as big as an impact towards like the end of the year. So yeah, hopefully, you know, we'll be going into next year full fully rolling and having fun and you know, slicing up the game that I want to.
Speaker 1: I noticed you didn't tell me what the injury was, and I will let that stand and move on. What do you make of the current p WHL final matchup? We've got Ottawa versus Minnesota. We're talking to you on Thursday ahead of game two. So so far, you and I have just watched one game in the series. The listeners will have seen Game two by now. But you played against these teams all seasons, so give us your quick scouting report on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the Frost plays with crazy transition speed, you know, They've got some great shooters on that team, so you want to keep them out of those Grade A opportunities and limit those. And then on the flip side, like Ottawa plays with this like controlled chaos and has some people who can just pull plays out of make plays out of nothing, which you know obviously tends to be lethal when you're in these playoff games. So it's a really exciting matchup. I think Ottawa doesn't necessarily get enough credit for the type of team that they have, and I know, like I do not like playing against Ottawa or Minnesota, so you know, I'm curious to see how this unfolds. You've got great goaltending on both ends, and that's I mean, that's why you saw a game go into overtime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gwyneth Phillips, that was actually surprising. Best keeper, I guess, tender. What do we say in hockey? I always mix those up. Just goalie best goalie, and so soccer and hockey always get in my in my brain about that. But best goalie in the league all season, had the best goals against average, and then she just makes kind of a boneheaded play coming out of her net, which ultimately lets the frost get into that game and then thankfully for Ottawa didn't end up killing them. But that's the whole thing. Anything can happen, Even the best goalie out there can make a mistake like that. You mentioned expansion that's set for the PWHL heading into next season, Seattle and Vancouver joining the league. What's the most exciting thing to you about either those two cities or the league growing after just two seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think both more opportunity for women in sport obviously, Like that's that's a no brainer. That's I mean off the hop that's what we get, you know, to see the success of the league and they make the decision to say, you know, we're expanding, and obviously they've got their data and numbers that show that it was successful. I think as players, when we were all trying to ide eate this thing, like we knew how successful it would be, and so when people would ask us like did you know how successfululd be? Like we've been pushing for this thing for years, but Mark and kimber Walter just you know, taking you know, an opportunity and really building it into this thing that's going to succeed and go the day since it's just incredible. And then in terms of the actual locations of expansion, like Vancouver sounds like it's an unbelievable setup, great hockey market. Obviously played some awesome games out there, and Seattle is just like a prime women's sports market. And I think people you know, on the East in the middle, I like, you forget like Seattle is here to play, especially with women's sports, and so that's really cool. I think, you know, as someone in the league, I'm like, shoot, we don't want to lose our players. You know, you never want an expansion draft. So yeah, it is for players, it's depending on what spot you're in your little it's a little nerve wracking because there's so much uncertainty. You don't know what's going to happen. You don't know what our team is going to look like. And for someone who really enjoyed our room and the players that we had on our team, like, it's gonna be very tough. You kind of have to start from from zero again.
Speaker 1: So well, we talked about that on the show. The expansion process the other day, five day exclusive signing window with not protected players. So that's cool. It's sort of this expansion team free agency before you even get to the expansion draft. What do you make of that process? And also teams only being able to protect three players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's wild, but you know, it's exciting. It's exciting for fans. The you know, just the opportunity of expansion is exciting. You know, as a player, you're like, what is happening? I don't want to lose you know, certain you know players on our team because we just went through this whole process two years now. I'm sure gms on inauurgural teams are not having as well because they plan for the future. But it just goes to show like this is not necessarily development league right now. It's like a place in bank and you've got to be ready to go. So from that standpoint, it's exciting for fans. You know, you're probably gonna see more goal scored, you know, and all the fun things that come along with more teams and more spots. So that's that's awesome. But do you think uncertainty is eating me up?
Speaker 1: I'm just like, yeah, you're essentially such a veteran player that I would imagine your coaches and GM come to you wanting thoughts about things. Is there any chance they'll come to you about who to protect or who to who to look out for?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, no, that's I don't get paid for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, well listen, I do a lot of things. I don't get paid for.
Speaker 2: Hillary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not how it. I know.
Speaker 2: There's definitely, you know, there's definitely conversations, you know, just like, you know, how are we feeling kind of thing? You know, what's your ideal scenario?
Speaker 1: You know, write three names down on a piece of paper, you hold it and slip it across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't know, but you're the only submission is that? Yeah? No, you know it's I think personnel is like super important in our room too, And so you know, I keep talking about that, whether it's the US team or the Fleet. You know, teams win championships. You know, people focus a lot on top six time on ice, who's scoring goals, but it is so much the in between that don't necessarily get those like sexy metrics that win US championships. So when I'm looking at like, you know, hopefully I'm staying with Boston, right, and so when I'm looking at you know, how do we want to win a championship. How do we bring a championship here to Boston? You know, what do those pieces look like? And so I think, like our staff understand like who I am and what I can bring, and you know what I harp on sort of like as a leader, and I think all that will you know, hopefully align. And we're hoping, right because we don't want to lose anybody.
Speaker 1: But what if they just don't protect you and then Hillary Knight leads Seattle to their first Walter Cup. Screw you, Boston. You know the pw W Hotels go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like it's it's like a win win for anybody, right, Yeah, you know, you have opportunity where you are, and if you know, these things are completely out of a player's control, and if you go somewhere else, you have an opportunity there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not even gonna we're not even going to talk about you getting an opportunity else. We're not doing that. We're not doing that. The PWHL's success stems from a long, hard fight from women's hockey players to demand better from both the US Hockey Federation and from professional offerings, and that included a really notable twenty seventeen threat to boycott the World Championships on home soil if USA Hockey didn't improve pay and conditions and resources. When you look back at that fight and you consider where the game is now, what stands out.
Speaker 2: To you The game wouldn't be where it is today without that. Yeah, And that's not just saying like that specific team, but that team went through it to learn how to stand up and fight for something and do it so publicly and put everything on the line, but also the strength of standing on shoulders before us, right. It was you know, a team, team, team behind the team effort to get something like that done. And you know, I want to give credit to Lambreau, Twins and John langle Megs. You know, there's so many people that went into being able to galvanize us in that way so that when we were looking at the horizon what we wanted for professional hockey, we knew what we wanted and we could be stern and people looked at us and said we were really crazy and we should be grateful, as they always will. And you know, look where we are for saying no, and it was a good no.
Speaker 1: I have to say, there are some real lessons to be taken from women's sports for the fights that we have in the rest of our world in society, because when you look at how things get done, the hockey team, the women's soccer team, fighting for equal pay across the board, in these spaces, people are reaching back and asking for help. It's people going to Cammi Granado and Billy Jean King and Julie Foudy. They're looking back and saying, how did you get this done? To Billy Jean back when you had the one dollar contract, how did you get this done? Faudy says to her. And when we look at how the the connections and the strength and numbers affects the outcomes of places that feel almost hopeless, like places that do not seem like they're going to move off of their spot. And then you get enough people together, and in your case, you're calling up every hockey player that exists and saying they're going to call you, Like these college kids whose dream it is to play for Team USA, They're gonna call you and they're trying to get you to be a scab and play in the World Championships because we're not going to be there. You cannot do that. You cannot take this dream in this opportunity because it will hurt the rest of women's hockey forever. And they didn't do it like that kind of solidarity is the kind of solidary we probably need to model in the other fights that we have. And it's just like endlessly impressive to me how women athletes and of the past and present rally together for those moments. I wonder what your relationship with USA Hockey is now.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's good. It is like to think of the the growth that we've had in such a small amount of times since twenty seven team because in some ways like it was a long time ago, but in many it wasn't. We have an incredible support staff, you know, fully fully employed behind us, which is awesome. But you know, I'm always like it's a starting point kind of thing. But yeah, I think you know, you're seeing us play on a world stage like we've never been able to compete before, and so that's exciting to me that we've made so many strides in such a short amount of time. And obviously contracts will come up for renegotiation and we have to go through those battles again. But I continue to think that we show up and we prove our worth every single time, and I think that's one of the hardest things to do. And I'm so glad you brought up BOUTI because you know, she in John Laningle like she should be mentioned as a name because she was the person that started. Here's the catalyst for us to be like, oh, yeah, we should do that, and we can do that, you know. Yes, I think we look at so many other like amazing women and what they've done and you're like, oh wow, like that's great, but you don't feel like you can be a part of that conversation. And so like she was that that catalyst for us. But yeah, it's you know, it's incredible what you're able to accomplish as a group. And as you put it, it was a dream. You know, it's not nothing tangible really that you can ask someone not to do. And so I think that was what was so powerful as we assembled this old fashioned phone tree and had all these moments if you know, can you can you say no to this because we promise it's going to be better?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can it even a dream? Ye?
Speaker 1: Sick? So yeah, it's cool, you and I have talked on my various shows over the years, uh, probably a decade plus going back, and we've often discussed the pressure that women athletes feel, not just to be the very best at their sport and everything that that entails, all the workouts in time and energy, but also sell tickets, promote the game, foster growth, be a role model. And you have been carrying the load for women hockey for decades, one of the only household names in America in the sport. That's it's getting better, But do you still feel all that pressure?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I feel less pressure now that we have the league. I think the CBA negotiations, I think anybody who was involved, like every everyone had their own I think lends to it. But in many ways it almost ruined me, I think in my human life, because it was so exhausting and so meaningful, and you felt the weight of all the other players that you brought on this journey, and you knew that we could not fail and the worst thing would be to fail, and so that was that was really tough and really trying, and now being in your two to like take a breath and be like I get to just go play now, you know, that's nice. There will always be those pressures I think of, you know, how you carry yourself, how you want to have an impact on people. I think that's just innatly what comes along with that Olympic space and being a leader in your sport, and that's what it is specifically also too in women's sports. People are going to, you know, really dive down and look what you are you interested in and what you believe in, and really pick that apart. But I think that just comes with the territory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think about the impression that you can leave on the next generation of players who are just starting in the league, and how important it is for you to make sure that they know how hard you fought for it, because we're seeing that across so many women's sports spaces, where the folks who are just now retiring or maybe retired a year or two ago are like, damn, look at the money they're making in nil, look at the contracts they're getting, and it's like they're proud that they did that, but they're also like, m you lucky ducks, Like look what we help to make for you. So you're still around so you can tell them all, Hey, this is what it looked like when I started, and this is how different it is. So be grateful, but also keep pushing because it can all be taken away. Don't keep fighting for it in the right ways, which is which is pretty cool. You just mentioned the CBA, so I'm going to end on this. I read an article a couple of years ago where you said, maybe after hockey you'd like to go back to school after the CBA negotiations. Is that still something you want to do or have you decided to hit in the books? Is maybe not the thing for you? Well?
Speaker 2: So I always like I went to Wisconsin was history major. I have sort of always been like attracted to the law right in that way and being able to have an impact there. And it's funny because during COVID I ended up getting my MBA because I was like, I need structure and I went, wow, congrats, yeah thanks, So like I wanted to, I didn't. It's so funny, like this imposter syndrome thing. I was like, I've just been playing hockey my whole life, like I want to make sure what.
Speaker 1: Am I doing with myself.
Speaker 2: I'm a waist exactly. But then all the life lessons I've learned in this sport are so invaluable and like I can apply those anywhere. But yeah, so structure was good for me during COVID with that, but I was looking this far. I was like, is there an online law program? But no, I don't think I will. The LSA to me is just daunting and then.
Speaker 1: You can do it. You can do it, Hillary Knight, that squire has a real nice ring to if not in life, it's a TV show. I would watch it.
Speaker 2: I would watch it. There's so many things I want to do and there's just it feels like there's not enough time. You know. I love that the same way.
Speaker 1: I mean I do for sure, but also I feel like I love that coming from an athlete. So many folks are so lost when they're done because they're like, I'm only forty, but somehow I'm done with this whole purpose of my life, Like what do I do now? To me, it sounds like you're both wanting to keep playing for as long as you can and also very much like excited about all the time you'll have to do other things after. Yeah, what a gift. Like that's such a great place to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just like h Like, I want to invest in women's sports, right, and I want to keep like talking about women's sports. I mean, so those are like the two like things for me that I just absolutely love to do. So awesome. Yeah, I think, you know, obviously there's a transition point in time and I've been playing for so long, and I will definitely be heartbroken in my own way for not being able to wake up and just train and do that for my job. But you know, I think, you know, I'm so fulfilled at the same time as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the Walter Cup Championship after bringing the Walter Cup to Boston, to Boston, yes, and then potentially helping bring a team to Chicago so all your Lake Forest fans can watch. That's even Chicago too, and.
Speaker 2: Try we're trying to go, you know, honestly to like Florida would be great. Like I'm just thinking places like I want to travel, putting back.
Speaker 1: To the list. Yeah, oh yeah, that's easy, good travel spot throw some places in Europe on there. I've always wanted to go to Prague. Why not? Well, we always love catching up with you. Congrats on all the success, enjoy the recovery from surgery and we look forward to what's next.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much to Hillary for taking the time. We got to take another break when we come back. Oh, what the fact from the not too distant past, Welcome back slices, It's time for another What the fact? We talked with Hillary about her role helping demand more from USA Hockey back in twenty seventeen and how important the collective bargaining negotiations were and getting the PWHL off the ground. That work has helped create a very different landscape for women's hockey players compared to the one Hillary played in after graduating from college. So let's go back in time. The year is twenty twelve and Hillary Knight just graduated from the University of Wisconsin as a two time NCAA champion. She's a regular member of the US national team, but away from those team camps and tournaments, the women's hockey landscape is a tough place. She initially joins the Boston Blades, a team in the Canadian Women's Hockey League. Want to know how much money ce WHL players made back then? Nothing nada. That league operated as a nonprofit and while some expenses were covered, players were not paid to play hockey. After a couple seasons with the Blades, Hillary joins the NWHL's Boston Pride in twenty fifteen. The NWHL was historic in that it was the first league to pay women's hockey players, but salaries were low and benefits like health insurance and housing stipends were not included. Then salaries were slashed in season two as the league ran into financial trouble. It was pretty bleak. All that to say, women's hockey has come a long way in just a few short years, which makes it all the more exciting to see the PWHL not only thrive but expand already after just two seasons. This what the fact brought to you by Elf Beauty. And here's another fact. Companies with diverse leadership make more money. Elf Beauty credits part of its success to its diverse board seventy eight percent women and forty four percent diverse, and because of that diversity, Elf has delivered twenty four consecutive quarters of sales growth, the only medics brand to grow market share every single quarter. Elf is about including everyone, because when you do, everyone wins. Learn more about what ELF Beauty is doing to help diversify corporate boards. Visit changethboardgame dot com. We always love to hear from you slices, so hit us up on email good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review, y'all. It's easy. Watch the Atlanta dream play A Society cash App Statement Court rating ten out of ten Amazing Esthetics review. The Dreams home opener was against the Indiana Fever Thursday Night at Statefarm Arena, and the squads hooped on a very special court designed in collaboration with cash App and the woman owned streetwear brand play A Society. This court is gorgeous, y'all. We'll link to pictures of it in our show notes. Between the lines, the hardwood is black with a slightly darker black, and the painted area and the space surrounding the court is a gradient going from an elect green to a forest green. Mid court is where things really get good. In bold white letters in the text you typically see on all of play As Society's popular shirts and other apparel are the words pay some respect to women's Sports. You might have seen the shirt that Esther Wallace's brand collabbed on with cash Apps. Just like that. Shout out to the dream because this court gives the arena a super intense vibe, almost like what a court might look like in Gotham City. And if you got the game, you know it looked awesome on TV too. The court will now be donated to a local youth organization and the pay Some Respect to Women's Sports statement will be featured on the Dreams practice jerseys and on March that's available to fans on the play A Society website. We'll link to that in our show notes. There's some other really great merch there as well. Now's your turn rate and review. Thanks for listening, slices, see you tomorrow. Good game, Hillary, Good game to that uber driver who made sure Hillary got to New York. Do you expecting players to compete in a contact sport without ensuring that they have medical coverage? Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You could find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutter, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch and Gianna Palmer. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain