Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Car and Drivers. Into Cars, a podcast from iHeartMedia is Ruby Studio, brought to you by eBay Motors. I'm Tony ki Roger, the editor in chief of Car and Driver, and I'm joined by my co host, former editor in chief and current Chief Brand and Content Officer, Eddie Alterman, and together we're Into Cars.
Speaker 2: Each episode of this podcast covers a new car that we think is worthy of your attention. The cars we select may feature a novel design, cutting edge engineering, or something entirely new. We'll cover the stories behind the cars, answering the whys and exploring the ons to bring you into the experience. We'll drive the things and let you listen in, and then we'll sit down with the people who actually made the cars to answer our questions about them. Come along for the ride and you'll hear it all the good, the bad, and the ugly and the way that only carrent Driver delivers.
Speaker 1: This episode of Into Cars is a little different. Today we'll be off roading and the reimagined Toyota Land Cruiser to find out if it lives up to its legendary name. After crawling over rocks and getting dirty, we'll dust ourselves off and sit down with Marcus Umlau, Toyota's general manager of truck strategy, to find out more about the engineering and decisions behind the land Cruiser.
Speaker 2: So here we have it, the long waited twenty twenty four Toyota Land Cruiser. It's been on hiatus, this model since twenty twenty one. It's changed a lot since then, but a lot of the change is not dimensional.
Speaker 3: It's visual.
Speaker 1: No, it's still a big truck. It's the same wheelbase. I think it's the same with it's within an inch on height or two inches on height, and the overall length is about the same, So it's the same size truck. It's just not the same land cruiser though. It's not the eighty seven thousand dollars lankerser. This one is a lot less money. It starts in the mid fifties. The one we have here, though, is a bit more expensive.
Speaker 3: This is the first edition, yeah, fully loaded.
Speaker 2: It's funny how it can present so differently than that last slang cruiser that we had. What was the model on that FJ FJ two.
Speaker 1: Hundred two hundred, Yeah, FJ two hundred, the one in the eighties I think was the sixty two, and then the one in the nineties was the eight eighty, and then we went to the one hundred, and then we went to the two hundred, which was the last one. And they were great.
Speaker 2: They were really like the sort of Japanese rang drover in a way. They were really deluxe, very very capable. But I doubt anybody outside of Dubai used them off road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly not. The first owners use them off road. The second owners are third owners because the things just lasted forever too. There was a repair shop in my old neighborhood in Los Angeles and the guy would drive the cars around trying to see what was wrong with them, and he drove a land Cruiser buy me once. I said what's wrong with this? And he was like, absolutely not. The last like three hundred thousand miles on it. They don't break. And they were complicated too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean three locking diffs and a lot of electronics, but bulletproof.
Speaker 1: This is more of a return to basics. So it's on the new Toyota truck platform, the TNNGA, and this is the supposed two to fifty series. The Lexis lex is on the three hundred series, which is over and above this, but you get this for a lot less money than the Lexus.
Speaker 2: And there are four similar vehicles off that two to fifty platform. You've got the Lexus g X five fifty, which is a three row suv but very similar to this. Then you have the land Cruiser, then you have the fore Runner, and then you have the Tacoma. It looks less like a luxury piece than the outgoing FJ two hundred land Cruiser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that had sort of evolved into a luxury truck. This is more of a retro feel to it. It looks more like the land cruisers of the eighties of the seventies. It has some of that feel. It even has some of the feel of the FJ Cruiser, like the headlights around on the first edition and on the nineteen fifty eight model.
Speaker 2: So it starts at the nineteen fifty eight model. That's right then then, but this, you know, it's fully loaded, but you get those retro round lights and I love the look of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, it's real upright. I like my SUVs to have upright windshields, lots of glass. If I'm buying an suv, I want it to look like an suv.
Speaker 2: But there's also a functional benefit to that. You can see out the thing better. You can look down the side of it when you are off roading. You can see the raised capitals on the hood. You know where the vehicle stops. So a lot of things that they did. I think we're to make it a little bit trimmer off road, although it still is wide.
Speaker 1: It is it is, but yeah, like you said, you can see the corners and there's a lot of glass in there and it's all upright glass. Your view out of it is wonderful and it's nice to see that.
Speaker 2: The main difference between this and the GX five point fifty is the engine. This right, this has the hybrid four, the two point four liter making three.
Speaker 1: Three twenty six six twenty six source part same as the top engine that you can get in the Tacoma. This one did sixty in our testing in seven point seven seconds. The GX is over a second quicker.
Speaker 3: Wow, and it's heavier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a significant difference.
Speaker 2: That looks great, And I love this military khaki brown with the contrasting gray roof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called trail dust is the color that we're looking at. It's sort of khaki. It's got a little tiny bit of olive in it. It's cool and it sort of goes with the retro feel of it as well.
Speaker 3: That's very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, black eighteen inch wheels and thirty three inch tires, so it looks capable, but it also looks a little bit.
Speaker 3: Like a Nissanic Sterra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Nissanic stairs are capable. But yeah, I think part of it's that roof rack. That's true. That is adding to it. It's a lot bigger than a next Sterra though it is big.
Speaker 2: Let's go around the back. You have the separate tailgate. You can open the glass independently.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a Toyota hallmark. And being able to open that rear glass super cool. So even the badging is retro. Instead of having the modern Toyota badge which looks like a little cowboy hat stylized cowboy hat, Toyota is written out and the font of land Cruiser is the classic land Cruiser font and it's cool little touches like that. And what is this sink toe? I think it owes six thousand pounds, which is less than the g X five point fifty, which has a more powerful powertrain.
Speaker 2: One of those cool retro touches is the mudflaps that have little straps holding them.
Speaker 1: In places behind them. Are it's really cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's hop in barrier and drive it. Oh, that's not a real expensive sound.
Speaker 1: That was a little tinny.
Speaker 2: I mean you would get in the old f J two hundred and it was just like a bank vault. It was really nice horizontal elevator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and super super damped and you'd never hear that vibration coming out the door panel.
Speaker 2: No, that's real tinny. And I think the materials in here are nice enough. But it's clearly that this has been built to a lower price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, and it's way more affordable, and the old land Cruiser priced itself out of relevance. The Lex sort of took over that buyer and Toyota to relaunch this. They wanted to actually sell the land Cruise.
Speaker 2: That one started at eighty seven grand and it was on to reach for most people. But this one starts at fifty seven grand, although the one we're sitting in is seventy six thousand dollars. This first edition so not such a huge delta from the old.
Speaker 1: It's aimed right at the meat of the market, where the Bronco.
Speaker 3: Plays, where the Wrangler plays.
Speaker 1: And interestingly, where are the Forerunners going to play? Yeah, yeah, I think Jeep finally found the top of where you can price a Jeep. I think the three ninety two at over eighty thousand dollars, I think is pretty much as expensive as as an off roader.
Speaker 3: But have you driven that thing?
Speaker 2: It's wild, it wild, It's really hilarious. This is you know, it's a return to the roots, as you said, of a more affordable land.
Speaker 3: Cruiser, and I think they've positioned it smartly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more of a Toyota. The land Cruiser had sort of turned into Alexis, and then they built Alexis out of it, and then Lexus sort of was like, okay, this is our vehicle now, and then the land Cruiser reinvented itself in a way at fifty percent less money.
Speaker 3: Basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the interior is you know, it's a good fifty thousand dollars interior. Some vinyl wrapping here. Yeah, it looks kind of like leather. It feels a little bit like leather. The gauges look great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fully modern in that way, but it's sort of upright in old school Toyota at the same time too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels very utilitarian in here, and there's lots of buttons and knobs, which I like. You have a Molde select knob here, a drive mode button. You have crawl mode, hill descent control. You have your locking center diff, you have your locking rear diff. You have the ability to disconnect the anti roll bars to get more off road traction. You got a switch for high four and low four. So it looks toally legit, but it's also something that you can just drive as in every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: And it's the hybrid powertrain shared with the Tacoma, so you get a tiny bit of electric power and better fuel economy than g X five to fifty. I think the combined fuel economy number is in the low twenties, around twenty two or twenty three miles a gallon.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. Well, let's take it off road and see what's up. All right, buckle up, we've got our off road flag.
Speaker 2: We're at Bundy Hill off Road Park in beautiful Jerome, Michigan, and this is a place where we come to play on occasion. I think we've taken the bronco here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll bring comparison tests here and test out vehicles see how well they can do off road.
Speaker 3: I also love there are a couple handles here.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, on the A pillar and the A I mean, look at how upright these A pillars are.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: It's a great panoramic, kind of widescreen TV effect. We are off roading solo. Are you locked up? Are we already stuck in here?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: We're not stuck, just creeping through a real slow that we're in tipping. You're still in high four though I'm not quite ready for low Okay, we just got over our first obstacle. I didn't hear too much scraping.
Speaker 3: No, everything is still in working.
Speaker 1: Order, and now it's in hybrid mode.
Speaker 3: Silently creeping through this sand pit here.
Speaker 1: That's kind of eerie.
Speaker 2: It is weird, but we're saving the environment by trampling on it.
Speaker 1: The off road park. I think the speed limit here is ten miles an hour. I'm going five miles an hour very gingerly as we traverse this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and off roading is the most fun way to go five miles an hour that's right. You know, it's funny thinking about this versus the Ford Bronco. The Ford Bronco has all sorts of trick electronic stuff, like that trail turn that'll pivot the vehicle like around a tree and really decreasing the turning radius by breaking the inside wheel.
Speaker 3: It gives you all sorts of video spotters.
Speaker 2: But you know, the Bronco is really going after the Jeep and really trying to out jeep the Jeep.
Speaker 1: This is not doing that. No, I mean, it still functions as a regular suv. It's pretty quiet on the highway, a fuel economies DC and.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have those crazy knobby tires. Yeah, that's why I get with the Sasquatch package.
Speaker 1: They'll leave that to the aftermarket and the old man Emo lift kit.
Speaker 2: That's right, and there will be a healthy, healthy aftermarket for this thing.
Speaker 3: So what are your first impressions. It's pretty unfazed.
Speaker 1: So what's funny is it's a hybrid, so it's doing what hybrids do at low speeds and we're just running on electric motors and it's completely silent there the engine just kicked on.
Speaker 3: That's very cool.
Speaker 2: Oh, it says bottomless dump over there. I don't think we want to. No, that's not over there.
Speaker 1: That doesn't look appealing at all. So we're just traversing some off road trails. We've got it all the way up to twelve miles an hour. The ride's really nice too. It is nice, huge, really plush. Yeah, does not beat you up at all. And on the road. The structure of this truck feels really solid. I was worried it was going to feel like the previous generation Tacoma, which felt like there was no structure underneath you. But it's really solid. But I am missing the old Lancruiser had this wonderful the steering that felt like it was loobed by cold molasses.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: And it gave the truck this like invincible feel almost, And it felt like you were driving this ten thousand pound vehicle just because it forced you to slow down. It forced you to just not put any inputs in that we're big and this one is more normal, so I think. But people appreciate this, but I kind of missed the old one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The last one is like piloting a cargo ship.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: But I think our biggest risk to life and limb. Here is cutting a tire on one of these rocks, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's pretty easy. One of the things that you want in an off rudder, too, is a really predictable accelerator pedal, so that you can feed in just the right amount of throttle. You can feed in just everything perfectly, and this really does that, even in hybrid mode. It just gives you the torque that you need, and it's very predictable.
Speaker 2: I'm just in the passenger seat right now, but it seems like a pretty easy vehicle to place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can see every corner of it. I can see exactly where the back window is. I can see the front corners perfectly. And then Toyota has lowered the side glass too relative to the windshield, so I can see out my door really well too.
Speaker 3: Let's go up.
Speaker 1: This is giving climb this.
Speaker 3: Okay, you might need to modify your settings.
Speaker 1: Sure, Let's let's lock up the center diff.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll lock up the rear diff. A couple of buttons, why not belt and suspenders.
Speaker 1: On a pair of sands and belts. Let's put it in dirt. Okay, it doesn't have an air suspension, so we're not lifting it. The ground clearance stays at eight point seven inches no matter what you do, unless you put larger tires on it. Now we're climbing this grade. It's not having any trouble whatsoever.
Speaker 3: No, that's super easy.
Speaker 1: There's some big rocks at the end of it. It also has a big skin play up front too. All right, this is a little more treacherous on the downslope, So we're gonna put it in. Let's see how their hill descent control works. Call it DAC crawl. So if we hit the crawl button, we can adjust the max speed that it's going to go. So let's go all the way down to two. You can go as high as eighteen as well.
Speaker 3: That seems so it's going to use the breaks.
Speaker 1: It's going to use the brakes to slow us down here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eighteen seems a little Yeah, it's a little aggressive.
Speaker 1: Oh, and it's holding it right at two. Oh I just saw three, but we're going back to two. Oh.
Speaker 3: It's just so easy.
Speaker 1: It takes all the thought out of it.
Speaker 3: It's like an autonomous vehicle.
Speaker 1: All I have to do is steer and avoid the really big ruds. Not exactly new technology, but adjusting it's cool. Let's climb this little hill here. It looks like it's pretty steep up top. So it's going to test the breakover angle, which is actually better than the old land Cruiser. Right.
Speaker 2: It has the same approach angle as the old one, but a better breakover angle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and on the same wheelbase. We're at the top making a tight left. It's gonna lean a little back into the crawl and just make this super easy on ourselves. Park parking warning.
Speaker 3: Rock ahead.
Speaker 1: Nice. Okay, that was easy.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: It's it's been easy so far, which is good. Can I take a Yeah, you want to try it? I go watch the door slam.
Speaker 3: Oh, there it is again.
Speaker 1: I don't know what your Uber passenger rating is, but mine's pretty high because I don't slam the doors, so I'm not really even pushing. I'm not even slamming the door that hard and it's making that noise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great tip. By the way, don't slam your Uber driver's door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you won't get a five star rating. That looks a little That looks a little too eight me. Yeah, it's a little narrow. Yeah. The electric assist allows this four cylinder to bump up to four hundred and sixty five pound feet of torque. But it does have a really small battery and the pedal's nice.
Speaker 3: It is nice and it's very easy to modulate.
Speaker 1: Oh there's another breakover angle test. There we go, No problem.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do it old style hill descent just by breaking. That's a little bit more fun. But that wasn't all that challenging.
Speaker 3: I like that. There's no steering kickback, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not getting any weird kind of phases where the steering goes light or it kicks back in your.
Speaker 1: Hand, right. I haven't seen it snap once. And we're going over stuff that's kicking the body around, for sure.
Speaker 3: But good tip off roading.
Speaker 2: Do not hook your thumbs into the spokes of the wheel like you might do on road, because if there is kickback, to break your thumbs or at least give you a little because that's.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, we're getting a little crazy.
Speaker 3: I think we are. I wouldn't go in there. Okay, let me back.
Speaker 1: You can turn around. Okay, there's a sign on the tree that says wild.
Speaker 2: This is where that trail turned feature on the Bronco would really help. Yeah, which is not making a fourteen point turn here, try not to hit the tree.
Speaker 1: This is where spotters would help as well. Yeah, but the plushness of the ride is really pretty sure. I'm there's not even that much head toss, right, I'm not getting thrown around that much. It's got all this initial compliance.
Speaker 3: Breakover angle over angle test pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: There it goes. I mean you can see the corner perfectly, which have allowed you to avoid that tree. Very very tight turning radius, which is nice. Hey, it really makes everything seem pretty easy.
Speaker 3: I know, it really is easy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: These mirrors are great because you can see both sides of the car the whole way down.
Speaker 3: It really is good spotting.
Speaker 1: And well we have an inklinometer.
Speaker 3: There's a nice little inklinometer like the.
Speaker 1: I think the really old landcruisers had that too.
Speaker 3: That's a great touch and nice. Okay, let's exit out of here.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard it scrape once.
Speaker 3: Well, don't know if that's talent too soon.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's our driving talent or the breakover angle on the ground clearance. Oh there it is. There's the front nice.
Speaker 3: Oh look at that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this front camera gives you kind of a ghosted view of your front wheel angle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the car is gone in front of you and you just see the tires.
Speaker 2: That's wild. I don't want to spend too much time looking at it, though, I.
Speaker 1: Think you should drive those time with.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: It's really cool.
Speaker 1: I mean you have an onboard spotter. It kicks off at about five miles an hour. Six miles an hour though.
Speaker 3: Very cool because it figures if.
Speaker 1: You're going that quickly spotter.
Speaker 2: I think we decently challenged this thing and it came through with flying colors. It did easy, did not break a sweat. No, And like you said, it is extraordinarily comfortable inside.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked at how comfortable it is. I've gone off roading and stuff and just been made nausey because you get thrown around so much. It's hard to believe that the dimensions are so similar to the old land Cruiser, because this feels so much tidier and so much smaller when you're driving it. And some of that's a function of the control feel and the lighter steering, but it just feels way more manageable out here. And this is not an off road course. It's designed for really wide vehicles, ain't there.
Speaker 2: No, and you sit a little bit higher, it feels like there's a much higher age point in this vehicle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's some of that's the lower glass on the side windows. It's not quite the original range rover where if you're driving down the road people could see your hips, but at least people can see you see your wallet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: But incredibly comfortable, incredibly smooth, and at odds with the tiny sound of the doors.
Speaker 3: I think the ride refinement is extraordinary. It is.
Speaker 2: It's shocking, very fun I mean, this is cool, the fact that this can do all this without really breaking a sweat and perform all the functions in need of a regular sort of family vehicle without paying much price for it.
Speaker 1: On the road, it's pretty nice on the road. And you were mentioning that the steering doesn't kick you back here, which usually means that the steering is completely aloof and numb on road, and it's not. It's pretty responsive. It's easy to drive in the highway, it's super easy to keep in your lane, works really well. I always feel like when I can't find my way out of one of these places, it's like a little.
Speaker 3: Blair Witch Project.
Speaker 1: Just go to the cottage at the back of the like, I'm pretty sure we just passed that lake. We crossed over that like seven times for some reason.
Speaker 3: Tell you that.
Speaker 2: Note what they're doing off road, executing something like this that has such a dual nature.
Speaker 3: It's pretty spectacular.
Speaker 1: This is quickly going to turn into a lost scenario where we find out we've died in her in this off the road park for the rest of our existence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we get out of here, it'll be twenty sixty three.
Speaker 1: And there'll still be a Toyota land Cruiser.
Speaker 3: This will have gone up in value tremendously.
Speaker 1: Oh, that looks like an exit.
Speaker 2: I see the ramshackle buildings. I see the corrugated tin hunts.
Speaker 3: We didn't die. No, we're back among the living.
Speaker 1: Well, we still don't know what year.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: All right, we made it good good. That was fun. It was fun. It was surprisingly easy, I know.
Speaker 2: I mean we didn't go up the eighty five percent grades.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't do anything too crazy, but we did test out the ground clearance and the breakover angle and the approach angle and the departure angle.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's also incredible is how quiet this thing is. Everything has a great kind of veneer of refinement.
Speaker 1: You don't hear the structure creaking at all, not or any of that. You don't hear the suspension moving around. A lot of off roaders, you just constantly hear the suspension moving around.
Speaker 2: It felt like there was no torsional weirdness. Good stuff, Bank in park.
Speaker 1: All right. Cool.
Speaker 3: We may have made it out of the sand pit, but we aren't out of the woods yet with this new land Cruiser.
Speaker 1: Luckily.
Speaker 2: After the break, we're sitting down with Toyota's Marcus Umwalf to answer our lingering questions about the truck. Welcome back to car and drivers into Cars.
Speaker 1: To answer some of our lingering questions, we're joined today by Marcus Umlauf, Toyota's general manager in charge of truck strategy. That means Marcus looks over the Tundra and Tacoma pickups, the Sequoia, the Forerunner, and the land Cruiser subs. If it's body on frame and it's a Toyota, Marcus is responsible for it. An avid off roader, Marcus developed Toyota racing development vehicles in Australia before making the move to the United States. Welcome to into cars.
Speaker 4: Marcus, Hey, Tony, You've great to be here.
Speaker 2: So Marcus has head of strategy for Toyota Truck. Let's talk a little bit about land cruiser strategy. While the lex six hundred continues on the three hundred series version of TGAF, this is only two fifty. It's last of luxury oriented. So why did you guys make that switch and put the land crews around two fifty and Stata three hundred.
Speaker 4: It's a really luxurious position to be in to say, we've got a lot of choices, and a lot of this came from the new platform. So as we developed the new F one platform, this is the first time I've been able to come up with a platform for all of our trucks at the same time and really considering like how would this execute as a full size pickup, as a mid sized pickup, as a Lexus product, or a Toyder product. And I think being able to start with that clean sheet of saying what should that platform be that's going to serve all of these different purposes, it was a really good opportunity. Stepping back from there, we now have a bunch of tools, so we say, okay, so I mean the platform lead was three hundred series Lancers, so that was the first vehicle on the platform, very closely followed by Tundra. We had Sequoya LX really surrounding out that full size execution on that platform. Then we said, okay, how do we do a slightly smaller version of that two fifty series was a case of saying and the way I best sort of framed this is we have global vehicle with lan Cruiser, and we have a lot of regional vehicles, so let's say Sequoia forur Runner, they are very let's call it North American specific. So we've got the benefit here of saying, hey, we've got a global truck in land Cruiser, we also have a full size suv in Sequoia, and now for the first time, Sequoia gets a lot of the benefits of three hundred series land Cruiser already built into the truck, but at a scale it really is for the US market. So it was a chance and from the very outset of saying, look, what should lan Cruise be, how do we take lan Cruiser back to its origins? And really the LC two fifty is really ideally where that should be.
Speaker 2: I do a follow up question to that, Marcus, was there any internal concern about moving from an eight to a four and going lower in price and changing the sort of brand position and aligning it more with Tacoma forour runner. Did anybody feel like they were devaluing the vehicle?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, and I think it at its very simplest, it's recognizing who the land Cruiser customers really are. I mean lank Cruise, who has been a name plate that has been around for so long. People that know land Cruiser love land Cruiser, and frankly, I mean lank Cruiser had really started to drift to become something that really wasn't the origins of lan Cruiser. I mean, we were selling a handful of equals a year. It was a fantastic truck, but it was to a very small part of the market. And so how do we take it back to where it should be. We want to be able to have a truck that's more accessible for price point, a truck that has the right spec for people in terms of what they actually want to do with the land Cruiser, and so it was a great opportunity for us to bring that back so.
Speaker 1: Marcus, now that the land Cruiser has moved down to price point, it moves a little closer to four Runner. So how does the land Cruiser fit into the lineup with the newly announced for Runner.
Speaker 4: These are two tools to compete in one really competitive segment. So if I looked about historically, we had four Runner, which was one tool to compete against everything the rugged suv space, I mean it's super competitive, super passionate, there's some great product there, and we had one tool to compete there. It was very intentional to say, if we have two tools, how do they both play there? So we have the global tool with land Cruiser, which has the heritage, it's more boxy, it's more rugged, it really has that global DNA. And then how do we take four Runner back to be Also for Runner is really a story of return to its roots. If we look at first and second gen four Runner, it used to be tied to the pickup truck, so it's a little cheekyer, it's a little sportier. It was important to us to say they have to have their own role. So four Runner has got a wider range of powertrains, so it really is the high volume, broader coverage type vehicle, which is our regional truck. I mean it very much is a North American truck. We then have the global truck, which is so globally renowned, but it's a simpler strategy. So it's really a case of if you want a land Cruiser, you buy a land Cruiser. Four Runner really appeals to a whole bunch of other people, But at the end of the day, I think it's going to boil down to choice. People just have two great products that they can really choose which is the best fit for them.
Speaker 2: So it's our understanding that Toyota, and I don't know a few can confirm or deny this while still keeping your job. Has an internal measure for our durability that has three categories. Cars are the first category as the least rugged and durable. The second category is a higher level up for most of the truck line, and the highest level the most durable third tier with something like a ten year lifespan of never being driven on paved road. Does the land crews are still abide by that In this two point fifty iteration.
Speaker 4: Eighty first and foremost, A really love my job, so I'm not going to do anything like that. So everything I came to keep my job. But Link Cruiser is a fascinating nine plate and without going on too much of a dangent, there is a huge amount of respect for it and the huge amount of honestly responsibility to protect what that is. And so I think you're exactly rought that there were levels of durability and severity that all of it vehicles attested to. As you can imagine, we have globally so much variation in terms of markets, in terms of usage, in terms of expectation, and vehicles need to be developed appropriate. What a best sum up with lan Cruiser is we understand the customer really well and we make sure that land Cruiser is a lan Cruiser. And so when it comes to specifications and things like that, it's not as simple as saying this must survive ten years. It must say, okay, how is the customer using this truck and then what is their expectation to survive? So when we look at severity the way that we rate severity, there's so many different things. Is it about heat, is it about dust? Is it about water? Is it about how rough that road is? And we talk about Toyter's renowned for Genji gemboots, So go and see and very much this is almost the epitome of You've got to go and see it. You've got to go and talk to these customers. You've got to be in a crocodile infested river in Australia. You've got to be in a mind sight somewhere. You're going to be sort of in the middle of this engine somewhere to really understand how are people using these vehicles. And it's not a case of saying, here's just one test that doesn't it's a case of saying, if I know how the customer is using this and their expectation to it's not just it'll get me there, but it will get me back and it's easy to repair that it's reliable that if that really is the core tenet, If we know what they do and we protect that someone can trust the land Cruizer to do it, That's really what it boils down to. I'm not dodging the question there as opposed to as much as it's a case of saying, there's so many layers. What we just need to do is make sure that we can actually test to that we might create a new test of saying, hey, we just saw that someone in a mind side in Australia is basically catching all of this mud underneath this truck and it's pulling wiring harnesses off. How do we make sure that we test for that? And so it's really a case of saying, what's the real world test, not necessarily just the standardized test that would be run.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about the decision to kill the land Cruiser in twenty twenty one, Why not continue to build it until the new one came out? Did you have to kill it to relaunch it? What was the story there? Because Alex came out pretty quickly, it did.
Speaker 4: And Tony, we didn't kill land Cruiser. Lan Cruiser had little pause until it was ready to come back, and that's really how it played out. And a lot of it was Cadencer platform. So as that full sized platform went to three hundred series, we see how two hundred series stopped. So we had to cease with production of two hundred series as it rolled out there, it was really Sequoia was our next product which was coming to fit into that space. So full sized body on frame, rugged suv. We now have the benefits of that three hundred series development Sequoya comes out there. I think a lot of what people couldn't see coming was like, don't worry, we have an answer, and I'll tell you a funny story. I was. I was speaking at the land Cruise in museum, and so at the time, we had killed land Cruiser, and I basically said, you're either the bravest guy or the dumbest guy to turn up into a whole audience of Lanceruise enthusiasts after killing the land Cruiser, but I couldn't tell them what was coming, And knowing full will that Lane Cruiser was coming back in the form that it really should be in for the US market was really exciting, and so I'd sort of called it. It was really a pause until the product Cadence could actually get it back into there. But it was really a pause rather than the death.
Speaker 2: Marcus, He's spoken a little bit about how Toyota adapts different cars and different platforms, different trucks to different environments in different countries and different use cases.
Speaker 3: Can you talk a.
Speaker 2: Little bit about how Australia is different from the US in terms of how they use their vehicles. What is the off running culture, Like I mean is there a lot of cosplay where you know, people get the most rugged g wagon or whatever they can and just drive it to aroin or whatever.
Speaker 4: In the US, absolutely, so probably the number one thing in Australia is you assume that everything's going to kill you. So if you start with that assumption, then everything exactly, so you sort of start with that assumption.
Speaker 1: The aroline in Australia is legal.
Speaker 4: The fascinating thing about the Australian market and this is why, I mean, I've got a lot of Australian experience, but here permanently in the US, because there is so many similarities in terms of the lost style and what people do with their trucks and SUVs is very similar. So people really want to enable a loft style with this. So whether it's their pickup trucks, whether it's their SUVs, they want to be able to tow, they haul, They use it for vacation, they use it for off roading. So there's a huge recreational cult. There's also a very practical culture as well that these are a tool of trade for many people, and so I think there's a lot of similarities in how people use it or why they want to use it. The difference has really probably come in into the environment and just how far. The biggest difference that I draw here is it's really hard to find two gas stations in the US that are all that far away from each other. You might struggle to find maybe one hundred miles or something like that. These place is in Australia where you will actually go on travel and you have to carry extra fuel because it is the distance is too much. So a lot of it is the distance, it's the remote nature and frankly the fact that I mean, if you do get stuck out there, you die. It's a pretty remote and dangerous place to be. But the reason why people are doing is really similar.
Speaker 1: Marcus. How long are we going to see barty on frame vehicles in the mass market? Is it going to be like the old nine to eleven story where the line just goes on and on and on and on and on and on forever. And yeah, I guess if you make them heavy enough they escape some regulations too. So as the future really break for body on frame vehicles at Toyota.
Speaker 4: So, Donny, I'd get a little pilosophical with you and say, what is body on frame and it's really a case of you're marrying a platform with a different upper body. And when we actually look at even where a lot of dedicated evs have gone, they've got to skateboard that marry with an upper body. It's really more about what's the evolution of platforms that you can electrify a platform you can still have the ruggedness and the strength that you can go off roading, that you can actually still have a thirteen twelve thousand pound towing capacity, you still can haul. So I think it's going to be how do you have platforms that evolve to be able to do that? But I think necessarily it's not a case of body on frame evolution. It's really a case of how do you marry a platform with an upper body in a smart way?
Speaker 1: Well, that's interesting, and I think you're going to have to sell the customers on that because they expect body on frame to look a certain way. And there's also a theory that American cars were never comfortable not being body on frame. That's why Americans love body on frame. So basically, you know, a Catillac Escalade is very close to a seventies car. I mean it's a V eight and a body on frame. So that's an Americans are very comfortable with an understand So even when it evolves, I think you're going to have to commence customers for sure.
Speaker 4: For sure, and at the end of the day, I'd also argue I think there's a large group of customers that just want to have the right end product. I think there's a lot of enthusiasts that understand the architecture of the vehicle. There's a lot of others that probably come along and say, does it have the performance, does it have the strength, does have the space? I think if you could execute a really good product for the customer, whether it's an suv or a pickup truck, and you've got a slightly different architecture, sure you're going to have some people that will sort of debate how you got there. There's also a lot of people if you can do it right and you don't make them compromise, then I think they're really going to judge the end product and how that comes out.
Speaker 1: Marcus, I hear you have a seventy two scout project. How's that coming along? What can you tell us about that? So you're not going to give me a hard time? For it not being a Twitter. Ok, there's a new Scout coming too, but what do they say.
Speaker 4: About the forbidden?
Speaker 2: For it?
Speaker 4: When you grow up in a world of when there's lankers is everywhere, and then you come to the US and you find something new and unique, it's pretty exciting and and actually a little bit of the backstory is our first family tractor in Australia was a nineteen thirty nine International h Model and so I had an infinity. I said, hang on, so he's a really cool truck. Buy a tractor company that I have an affinity too, So I had to buy it. So this was a COVID project. The price was right, and I completely undersold the amount of time to my wife it was going to take to work on it. But it it's been a great project with my boys to really sort of teach a sixteen year old here a cobrette works and rebuild a cabaretta and a murder and I just love the simplicity of something designed by a tractor company. It had a one ninety six and I got a three forty five, And literally the one ninety six is just half of a three ninety two. So the vel train comes across. I mean they just left four cylinders off.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, it had that giant four cylinder engine.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so I got it with that. But it's literally half a V eight, so it's you can use so many parts, so anyway without geeking out, I just love the practicality of a tractor company that says, when you use the same parts, we'll just build four cylinders and V eights and it's yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Necessity, yeah, absolutely, just like Lamborghini. My favorite design element inside is that the land Cruiser says Toyota written out in script instead of having the Toyota badge inside on the airbag hub. So I saw that and I was like, yes, they got it right, they know what That's awesome.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. I'll got to tell you, Tony. I was really excited when I saw the very first concept sketch with Kevin Hunt and the Keelty team little side story. The thing that's really exciting is the concept and what came out the other side are so similar. So sometimes when you actually put it through the big sausage making machine, I mean, things really get diluted. You lose a lot of the emotion and passion. But when I very first saw that, I'm going, I can see FJ sixty two, I can see FJA eighty and this is really at the height of when everyone's paying way too much money for ninety seven Triple Lock eighty series. During Covide, it was just cool to actually see the truck and go. It's super modern, but basically it totally without trying to be a retro ripoff, without trying to be the old land cruisers. It still has the DNA of land cruiser and as much you just say it must you engineer it. It's really cool and you sort of see a bit of that too.
Speaker 1: It seems like from the outside that you guys have an easier time slipping through truck designs like the FJ Cruiser that went from concept to production and not that much was changed. But I don't necessarily see that in the cars, but the trucks they seem to get through unchanged from the original designs, which is really cool.
Speaker 4: We're very, very lucky, especially in the US, where I mean truck is so unique to the US market. We've got such a fantastic team between you put Beach and an Abba.
Speaker 2: Well, next time you're in ann Arbor, at the R and D facility.
Speaker 1: We're right off the street, So yeah, come have lunch with us. We'll bother you with a lot of annoying, nitty gritty questions about.
Speaker 3: It's a date.
Speaker 1: Thanks Marcus, Thank you, Thanks Chris.
Speaker 2: That interview was brought to you by eBay Motors. Visit ebaymotors dot com for more.
Speaker 1: Car friends. The Toygotta Land Cruisers Resurrection is a less expensive, off road focused suv strikes me as a good idea. The new land Cruiser proved itself off road and handled everything we threw at it. The old land Cruiser had priced itself out of relevance. Bringing the land Cruiser back will undoubtedly prove to be a wise move for Toyota.
Speaker 3: Undoubtedly, But I missed the old one. I liked.
Speaker 2: It's under the radar luxury. We've already got a Forerunner. Why do we need this thing?
Speaker 1: Well, you can still get it as a Lexus.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, but I don't want the Lexus.
Speaker 1: For more on the new Toyota land Cruiser, visit carndriver dot com and be sure to pick up the latest issue of Car and Driver magazine. Well, Eddie, that's a wrap on the first season of Car and Drivers Into Cars, we got to experience some seriously interesting and compelling new vehicles over the last six episodes, from the Lamborghini uricon Strado to the most expensive Cadillac ever to Toyota's reimagined land Cruiser.
Speaker 2: We hope that you had fun riding along with us and learning from the folks who helped create the cars.
Speaker 3: Each week prought surprises in a few laughs.
Speaker 2: If you enjoyed the show, don't forget to rate and review wherever you listen to podcasts, and stay tuned for season two.
Speaker 1: Car and Drivers Into Cars is a production of Car and Driver in iHeartMedia's Ruby Studio. Our show is hosted by Eddie Alterman and myself Tony Kiroga. Our executive producer is Matt Romano. Our EP of Post Production is Matt Stillo. Our supervising producer is Sierra Kaiser. This show was edited by Sierra Spreen special thanks to our location sound recordist Matthew Cisco. Thanks for listening.