Speaker 1: Cool Zon Media. This is it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. Today I'm joined by Mia Wong. I am reporting from the beautiful and sunny People's Republic of New York City, and we are Zoe back. It is Clover Dimes Squares on suicide Watch. Zomentum is sweeping the nation. Zoramum Donnie has won the Democratic primary for the mayor of New York City, beating veterans sexual harasser Andrew Cuomo. It was it was quite a night in New York last night. We are recording this Wednesday morning. The final ranked vote will be done in about a week, but Cuomo has conceded the race to Zoron, who has declared a pretty decisive victory.
Speaker 2: It's been very funny. Seeing the dashing and weeping of the Quotmo camp has been very funny. New York has officially been upgreen from a Tier two to a Tier one point five Chinese city. Given give it another decade, it'll it will have entered Chinese civilization. The vibes are good. The vibes are good well.
Speaker 1: The only difference is that now we will have an actually communist government in a city instead of the fake state capitalist governments of the Chinese mega.
Speaker 2: City objectively more Communists to one point five Chinese city government.
Speaker 1: An American bogeeli Uh. It was. It was a pretty exciting night in New York last night. I and many people were not expecting a clear result so soon. I think Cuomo conceded around ten to thirty as the vote was still coming in, but it was pretty clear that Zoron did a like very very impressive, very impressive sweep, really solid turnout across the boroughs. Just to like get a sense of like where we were at, Like I got to announce to of a pretty a pretty large room full of trans people at the Metropolitan Bar that Cuomo conceded to Zoron, and Zoron has won. And I had not felt better in months. It was really invigorating. This was like the first like ray of hope in a political sense that I've that that it's been like so deeply felt nothing ever happens, camp is is is finally finally taking it. So jover for nothing ever happens. The shear, the sheer like joy and excitement being in like a room of like one hundred, one hundred queer people, as as as Cuomo gets defeated and Zoron securing the primary. It was it was just invigorating. In many ways, this feels a lot bigger than even like AOC's win a few years ago. And it feels so much more real than like the Sanders campaign really ever did, because New York is such as like a it's such a condensed, concentrated area. Now it has not quite like an inevitability, but of a pretty strong certainty of what's going to happen come November in the general election.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the thing that's maybe in some ways the biggest deal about this is that New York was like the capital of the giant sort of right wing backlash inside the Democratic Party to twenty twenty Yeah, right, Like this is the city that elected Eric Adams in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Right, Like it just straight up a cop is ruled for like four years by just like.
Speaker 2: This unhinged corrupt alliance of like fucking real estate developers and like unhinged right wing billionaires and the cops who ran this really really effective sort of politics of like the demonization of unhoused people and like anti immigrant politics and the shift right in this in the Neu Democratic Party like single handedly shifted the entire country to the right. You could literally see where the New York media market was in the twenty twenty two elections. You could see on them map who was getting the news because it was so right wing. And that's just broken, that whole thing, Like this place was just like which was like the capital of the kind of revolution broke and that whole tide like you can it's you know, in the same way that like Hunters Thompson talked about how you could see like you could see them with the tide of the sixties broke standing in Vegas, Like sitting here right now, you can see the place where the tide of that right wing surge in New York broke. And it was last night we saw their high points. Yeah, they couldn't elect the fucking sexual predator. That was as far as they could go.
Speaker 1: A Cuomo too, Like, like I know some people are slightly annoyed about like the outsized influence of the New York mayoral election affecting everybody who's like online and cares about politics in the United States and even and even abroad. But this is like not not only as New York, like the biggest city in the country. This is like more so a representative battle for the future of the party, and like what the future of democratic politics, not just the Democratic Party but literally like like democracies and like what the future of politics in this country is going to be is kind of emblematic over how this race went. Are we going to go back to the same old establishment dem Party stuff, Clinton's Cuomos, Obama, Biden Harris or are we actually going to legitimately chart a new course forward to counter this fascist element taking power across the country and against nearly all odds, and like thirty million dollars, the underdogs actually would and pulled it off really strongly, and this really is like the battle for the future of the party. Early turnout was massive for this primary. In the final three days of early voting, we saw like the youngest demographic of voters come out in high high numbers. One quarter of early voters were first time Democratic primary participants, and young voters between the ages of twenty five and thirty four made up the largest share of early turnout. And this was all up against the entire forces of the Democratic Party establishment coming together in the past few months, just specifically to stop Mamdanni from taking the primary election. There was twenty five million dollars of super pac funding behind Entrew Cuomo, which is the largest in New York City mayoral history. This pack was backed by Michael Bloomberg, Door Dash, Bill Ackman Trump funder, and this pack allowed Cuomo backers to spend three times as much money than what Quomo's actual campaign legally can. In comparison, Mamdannie's pack had just one point two million dollars plus five hundred thousand in anti Cuomo spending from the Working Families Party. In an attempt to seal the deal, the Cuomo team got the coveted Bill Clinton endorsement, really really forming like the toucher's alliance with Cuomo.
Speaker 2: And Clinton, Bill Clinton, Bill Clinton, there's world more sex pest for you to endorse.
Speaker 1: It's time for you to endorse Donald Trump. What moral job like that? That really was like emblematic of like the type of Democratic party that Mamdanie was up against, right and the one that working people of New York and people around the country we're hoping might finally get defeated after it's won one over on Sanders for the past like eight years, and last night it finally happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I also want to say, like, this is not just when we're talking about the sort of political apparatus of the Democratic Party being deployed in support of Cuomo. It wasn't just like the DoorDash guys like bringing out their checkbook. It was like the actual internal political machines of a whole bunch of very very important and influential local and sort of mid level political officials, through their entire political machines behind Cuomo and then got fucking rolled in ways that are just absolutely hysterical. Entire political machines basically just got annihilated trying to stop this. It was It reminds me in a lot of ways of like the way that like a bunch of the old machines broke in in Chicago with with Brandon Johnson were like you wed like Mike Madigan making one last appearance the most powerful figure in Illinois politics for thirty years and just gets crushed in that election. So this was both a money efforts and a were using your political machines on the ground to try to do this, and they fucking lost.
Speaker 1: And it rules there were photo shopping images of Zoron to make him look more brown and Muslim. Yeah, they were making his beard longer, they were making his skin and his hairy darker. Like, they were pulling out all the stops and it didn't work.
Speaker 2: It was a Clinton two thousand and eight, like Barack Hussein Obama, like burther conspiracy shit. Yeah, like, that's the last time I remember this party being this racist, like very specifically in these lines.
Speaker 1: And it failed, and it didn't work. It failed. We'll talk about some of the actual results and Zorn's campaign itself after this break. All Right, we are back. It's a beautiful sunny day in New York. It's actually way too hot. There's a massive heat wave going through the entire East coast. New York has been like one hundred degrees the past few days. Thank god, it was one hundred degrees on the day of the election. It kept all those Cuomo supporters home. We're calling him Mandate of Heaven, Mandani good stuff. So let's let's let's talk about the actual results so far. So as of as of this morning, Wednesday morning, we got ninety three percent of the vote in on the first rank. Mundanni has forty three point five percent versus Cuomo's thirty six point four and zorn Ally brad Lander with eleven point three, followed by a whole bunch of others. Now, really, as soon as like numbers started coming in, like after the early vote, which which we expected Woul would lean in favor of Zoran, but after more and more results started coming in, Manhattan started to looking more and more orange. And that's the that's color at the times as using for Zoron. And this was the first like sign for me that Zora might be having a pretty good night, because people were expecting that you know, pretty big chunks of Manhattan and certainly like Staten Island in the Bronx would be would be going towards Cuomo decisively or at least if this if this was going to be Cumba's night, that's what we would be seeing. And that's not what happened. The northern tip of Staten Island leaning towards Mom Donnie, and really most of Manhattan except for the upper west side and the upper east side went to Zoron. And that is like super super I guess, like surprising, but like positive surprise, like surprisingly, this is this is like this is great. Yeah, like a really really strong night. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the most interesting trends of this was that Mondommy just just absolutely annihilated like every Asian district up up fifteen, up fifteen and not Okay, so you would kind of expect this in South Asian districts. He went into a bunch of what are generally pretty conservative, like like Chinese districts and like Queens and shit, and just fucking rolled them. Yeah, like in like South Brooklyn, like a very very powerful sort of like right wing Chinese political machine like went to war against them, just annihilated.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The Asian vote in general had kind of been trending right in the last half a decade based on sort of like anti immigrant shit, anti homeless shit and all of that, just like instantly pivoted.
Speaker 1: Everything's out. The astoria in Queens just just full full zor on. Yeah, and like just rolled these districts.
Speaker 2: And I think this is a thing where I think we're gonna talk more about the ice stuff later, but I genuinely think part of what we're starting to see here is like.
Speaker 1: Brad Lander, who and the MVP brad Lander honestly like like a critical part of this who knows to him like absolutely, Like we certainly have different opinions on some key issues, but he really pulled out the stops to make sure that Cuomo does not get in and helped Mamdanni defend against some pretty pretty horrific yeah is homophobic attacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like, and that alliance I think was actually was really really important because it meant that the kind of like left flank of the liberals and the progressives and sort of social democrats weren't fighting each other, which has been what's happening in like fucking every other city. Yeah, is that these two factions go to war and then like just the fucking sex predators win the election because of it, and shere you get a very very important strategic alliance that allows a bunch of people to vote for Mamdanni who wouldn't have And this, this sort of alliance that they've forged here was just like stunningly successful, basically like outperformed expectations basically everywhere. I think this is also a kind of decisive anti ICE thing because both Mamdanni and have been actually straight up on the front lines of like anti I stuff. Lander famously got arrested for trying to get in the way of a just hideously illegal disappearance of one of his constituents and got fucking arrested for it. And I think that stuff we're seeing the political impacts of everyone being like, holy shit, they're trying to deport like every no migration in this country.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Madanni up six points with the Hispanic up five with white plus fifteen Asian. Quomo is up eighteen percent with the black vote, and Quomo like underperformed there too, he did underperform.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing that's interesting is the medium income levels. Mamdani did better with middle class and high income vote middle class up ten, high income up thirteen, whereas Cuomo did better up thirteen with lower income, which I mean, this is like some classic We see this a lot in like national elections, where like people vote against their own interests. This is weird. This is like what the Republican Party gets so much of their support from. So this is also like education bracket difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think some of it also is like a lot of the voters who would have voted vandor and would not have supported Mamdani, like were given permission to back him, and that boosted his vote share.
Speaker 1: A lot, Yes, but like in terms of like why lower income is swinging towards Cuomo. Yeah, specifically people making under fifty k year swinging more towards Cuomo, even though Zoran is running a campaign specifically for those people. That is also largely up in the Bronx.
Speaker 2: I will also say, like, the other thing that's very weird about the way these are tabulated is because it's it's tabulated by area, not by the actual people, yes, correct, which means you can get these things where like you see this Trump sometimes where like it looks like he's doing really well in like.
Speaker 1: A district with like a really with like really low.
Speaker 2: Median income, But what's happening is like every single rich person in that district voted and then no one else did. Yeah, So the numbers are a bit weird when when when you're looking at these sort of like priestin counts. Yeah, votes, but yeah, it's it's been a I don't know, it's a it is a constant trend in the bar Oho. I guess this is everything that was actually very very different from Chicago, where in Chicago it was like basically pure income line for Brandon Johnson, the sort of like vaguely left person.
Speaker 1: There is like New York is a very like middle class city in a lot of ways, Like there's a lot of people in the middle class bracket, a lot of people in the lower class bracket as well, but in terms of like like medium income levels, there's like a huge, huge number of like middle class voters. Specifically, like the vote map for the for the middle income is so much bigger. I think it is worth highlighting what made Zorn's campaign special, right, Like people are probably pretty familiar with like the slick videos, which, yeah, he was really good at making videos. He is a great communicator, probably his biggest, biggest strength is his ability to be like personable and is of just a pretty good public speakers, great at communication. His mom's a relatively well known filmmaker, and not super surprising that he put he put a lot of work into making sure his like online tv as were like top notch. One of the more unique things that he did is a huge focus on multi language outreach, which like, obviously New York is a city of like dozens and dozens and dozens of languages, and the Quoto campaign did not focus on that, but This was a huge, huge focus of Zoron's campaign. Like when you signed up for phone banking, you got to go through a massive drop down menu of languages to phone banking, and Zoron himself was like speaking multiple languages. On the campaign trail, he had a huge, huge volunteer ground game. It was canvassing door Knox phone banking. My apartment had people stop in multiple times in the past week alone. The biggest focus of his campaign itself was a focus on affordability. I want to Play a ad that started running on TV and online about two weeks ago. This is one of his less personal ads, right like as opposed to his ads where he's like walking around New York talking to people, like addressing straight to camera, that kind of stuff, which is kind of in the staple of his campaign. So like this ad is not that it is more like a classic political ad, but I think it still hits really hard. And like this this one like kind of brain wormed itself into my head because of how like concise it is, and it hits so many things that even because of like the last like general election, right like the twenty twenty four presidential it reflects the things that a lot of voters are concerned about which is affordability, even if that means they will vote against their interests and vote in support of these like crazy tariffs. But I'm going to play this thirty second ad here. There is a myth about this city.
Speaker 3: It's the lie that life has to be hard in New York. I believe we can dare tchep for groceries, we can raise the minimum wage, we can freeze the rent for more than two million tenants and build hundreds of thousands of affordable homes. It city government's job to deliver that. We are done settling for less. Are you ready for.
Speaker 1: A city we can afford? A witness? Right? Do you posy rendering licens? So that was the main app that's been going across TV the past two weeks. This is this is his like final final push, and it addresses this like a conception of New York that's definitely been in my mind ever since I was a kid. I always thought, this is a city you can only live in if you're you know, very rich, if you're well off, and like, upon visiting here for the first time, I just realized how much that isn't true, how much this is like actually a working class city. How many people keep this massive like concrete machine running who do not live in like a Manhattan penthouse. Obviously, and yes it can be challenging, but we've like almost abandoned this place as like a zone of combat, as like a place to actually like build like an affordable, an affordable, stable life. And to see a candidate just directly address this is so invigorating. He ran on freezing the rent free buses, a pilot program for city run grocery stores, free to low cost childcare, raising minimum wage, and he didn't cave or waiver on controversial issues or apologize or redact for past statements. He got really good at deflecting when people asked him about like previous statements about how you know, the NYPD is terrible. He did really good about moving towards talking about how NYPD should not be handling people in like mental health crises, how there should be other public safety workers who can help people in distress who are not the NYPD, and just a very very slick job handling some like massive massive amounts of anti woke attacks, referencing like the twenty twenty era of politics. Let's go on a break and then talk about his acceptance speech and the reaction from the National Democrat and Republican parties. Okay, we are so back. So the past few months, Democrats have been asking this question like, how do we how do we reach young voters, how do we reach the young white to male vote. We need like a Joe Rogan of the left, all these types of crazy things. And you had this guy Zorrod who started to get massively popular with young people, including young young men, and that you saw this entire party mobilized to stop him, to suppress any any movement that Zorna was able to make. And David Hogg, who is currently also being rat fucked by the Democratic National Committee, has been campaigning with zor On the past few weeks and he he said a few days ago, quote, the same establishment that is spending millions to destroy Zoron will say in a few months that we need to spend millions on polling and testing to win back young people. Open your goddamn eyes. It's free. And yeah, he's right, this is the solution. The solution is staring them in the face, and they were wanting to stop it.
Speaker 2: Ye, young people are begging you to co opt them, and they won't do it because they know what they would rather have Nazis and one percent higher taxes.
Speaker 1: They want to be co opted and like actually fight for something, like actually have something to strive for, and like that's something that the Democrats have been so resistant to the past eight years. Like even even Joe Biden's campaign wasn't like fighting for anything, it was to like return to normal. Kruml Heris's campaign wasn't really fighting for anything either. It was just to stop Donald Trump. And this is like this campaign wasn't just about beating Cuomo. It was also about like envisioning an actually positive future of the city. And I was legitimately surprised that Cuomo can seated so early on in his speech he said, quote, tonight was not our night, Tonight is his night. He deserved it. He won. And from the moves that Quem was making, it seems like he's probably not gonna run as an independent in the general like he maybe have been planning to if it was closer. It does not seem to be going that direction. It seems like he's kind of realized that his career is finished. Yeah, he got rolled go back to the suburbs. Motherfucker Ugh Chuck Schumer called soron Wednesday morning and posted quote, I've known Zora Mamdannni since we were together to provide a debt relief for thousands of leaguered taxi drivers and fought to stop a fract gas plant in a Storia. He ran an impressive campaign that connected with New Yorkers about affordability, fairness, an opportunity. I spoke with him this morning and I'm looking forward to getting together soon. Alkim Jeffries said, congratulations is Zar Mumdani on a decisive primary victory. As having been Mumdannie ran a strong campaign that relentles focused on the economy and bringing down the high cost of living in New York City. We spoke this morning and planned to meet in central Brooklyn shortly. The top dogs are bowing down.
Speaker 2: All these Chuck sub retreats are just straight up please don't primary me, because AOC is going to beat him by thirty.
Speaker 1: He's gonna get primary like he's done to obliterated. But I was expecting slightly more resistance, and it seems like parts of the Democrats have like realized that this actually is the future of the party now and there's no use fighting anymore. This is the way to go. Yes, it goes against what all like the consultants are saying right to be like, you know, the Democrats went too woke, we went too far to the left. We have to return to the center. Even though that's what we've been doing for the Democratic Party for eight years. This election shows how much of that is like a complete bullshit lie that no, it's not about going too far left, it's about actually wanting to fight for something real. And I'm kind of surprised that these these two top dogs are giving in to the zmentum. I think also, and this is the thing, like my friends brought up, is that like mom.
Speaker 2: Downy like isn't really like AOC no, no, no.
Speaker 1: This is something like very very important for like New York politics, which is like he's.
Speaker 2: Not like like obviously politically he is, but like he's not a complete outsider to New York politics. All these people know him, they know him from like legislative shit right, and he has like relationships with them in a way that would be very very different if if he was like I don't know, just like some like a complete outsider who'd been like a protest leader or whatever.
Speaker 1: He has. He has proven himself.
Speaker 2: He has like tense relations but like yeah, but like he like these people know him, and that's something that can matter a lot in terms of like how these reactions play out and in terms of like how desperate they are to stop him.
Speaker 1: The Attorney General of New York was making like Obama two thousand and eight references, being like this, this was the energy in New York last night, and I wasn't around for the two thousand and eight residential election. I mean I was alive. I just don't remember because I was also in Canada. But it did feel pretty exuberant last night walking around Brooklyn. And like this absolutely still is like a rejection of the Democratic Party establishment. That's what these results show. And we have to like claim a firm victory now, like hard line with with with such a strong fist that like any potential fuckery in the future, whether it's from like other Dems or from the Republicans like from Trump right, like they're obviously willing to arrest the New York City Controller, so like any potential fuckery needs to look so much worse. People have to close ranks around zoror On like immediately and like strengthen him. He needs to be like the face, Like if they're going to take this guy down, he needs to be like the face of everything. For like the next while, we're sort of seeing like slightly smaller sharks, like trailing around the wake of the shark. Like you were talking about the Democratic co turreying General Leatitia James, who gave a really really compelling speech, like I actually think she's like a better speaker than any of the people involved in this race.
Speaker 2: And she is like she is one hundred percent primary in the governor, like not one hundred percent, but like probably primary in the governor next year. Like this is you know, like people, people are sort of people have been flocking around this for a while and I think, I don't know this is this is some real doesn't take a weatherman to see which way the winds are blowing. Shit Like they are, Yeah, they are, they are, they are living in fear, they are they are bending the knee, they are et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Very funny, And now the Republican Party is going to be on the attack. The baton's being passed from establishment Dems to the Republicans to try to take down Zoron, or at least paint Zoron as this new like radical face of the Democratic Party, like like racism levels are gonna They're gonna reach never before seen heights. It's going to be like Post nine to eleven all over again. The National Republican Congression Committee is already calling Zoron the new face of the Democratic Party, which yeah, he should be. That's like fucking bring it if you want, just like a breath of fresh air, I would recommend watching some financial news from from Wednesday morning. Oh it's so good.
Speaker 2: Hot Commy Summer, Baby, Hot Commy Summer.
Speaker 1: Who I Am? Executions in Central Park are about to begin.
Speaker 2: The Workers Republic is established, the Commonwealth of Labor rules.
Speaker 1: We're waiting for Chairman Madani to make the final call. Lists are being made. Only you can ford the Soviets seize your workplaces at the time is now. I don't want to play a brief click from c NBC. If you've seen where what Batman is up against in Gotham and what the guy running for mayor is up against, that's what it reminds you of. They're taking Wall streeters and make him walk out onto the ice in the East River as and hope and then they fall through. I mean there is a class warfare. That's so what's happened here? I think it's a rich type. There's a division within the Demo. Whoa, that's right, there is a division.
Speaker 2: Long live the revelation, baby.
Speaker 1: Eat the wretch. There is a division of the Democratic Party. Walk them out onto the ice. We're sending him onto the ice is all on hand in hand with the Bain and Chilly and Murphy are gonna be sending them on to the hunts and the spirit of occupy lives. Oh my god. Bill Ackman Cromo and Trump Backer said quote, I was a bit depressed when I woke up this morning, but now I'm optimistic. I have a great idea on New York City, and I will share it as soon as I can. We are looking into legal issues. Good luck, good luck, Bill, have fun out there. Oh no, they're good. Wait this is they're just gonna do perspers again. Who cares?
Speaker 2: Oh no, bring it, bring it. I will say like this this coverage, like I like, people don't understand how one Hinges coverage is going to be like in Chicago when when when Brandon Johnson won the election, Brandon Johnson is like significantly to.
Speaker 1: The right, yeah of mom, Donnie.
Speaker 2: Right when Brandon Johnson won the election, the Chicago press went so insane that all of them pretended to be pro immigrants. Oh yeah, Like do you understand how unhinged the press has to get here, because like like one of Johnson thinks that he was like fucking over like immigrants here and he was like this immigrant the shelters are putting put in where substandard and people are getting sick, and like we had the best coverage of immigration issues under Biden in the country because specifically that was the thing the reason to attack him.
Speaker 1: I'm super curious what The Times is gonna do because like they've also pulled out all the stops the past the past few weeks to try to to try to stop Zoran. It's gonna be unhinged the winds blowing in his direction now though, like I don't know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like I think that specific class of people is just going to hate him until the end. Like I think I think, like like David Brooks is going to be writing calls about how there are like pigrams going on, like on the streets, like Brett Stevens is gonna be like I don't know, they're gonna go to call it like super Lebanon, Like it's gonna be like levels of unhinged no one's ever seen before.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of the Times, Obama's tree strategist was quoted in a New York Times article Wednesday morning, quote, there is no doubt that Trump and Republicans will try and seize on him as a kind of exemplar of what the Democratic Party stands for. The thing is, he seems both principled and agile and deft enough to confront those sorts of confrontational plays. I do want to read off from a Fox News screenshot this morning showcasing Zoron's horrific, terrifying communist platform, which includes housing freezing rent, building afford level housing, creating city owned grocery stores whoa there are free buses, raising the minimum wage to thirty dollars by twenty thirty, and LGBTQIA plus protections, expanding and protecting gender affirming care citywide, making NYC and lgbtq AI plus sanctuary City and Trump proofing NYC to end ice cooperation. Hell yeah, thank you, thank you Fox News for that, for that great list of reasons.
Speaker 2: It's so to like Zaran Mamdani, I think I think, I think it's actually genuinely really important. She us like the only Democratic candidate in fucking ages who actively campaigned on like putting more funding in the trans healthcare like sixty five million dollars of funding. Yeah, fucking being pro trans wins. Being anti trans gets your ass kicked back to the suburbs.
Speaker 1: Like fucking Cuomo, eat shit, eat shit. Your Democratic strategists fuck off and die. Eat shit.
Speaker 2: You will be the ones in the fucking graves that you were digging for us, Like, fuck off, we have dun your electoral grapes.
Speaker 1: This is why when I was at this like it's open Mike at Metropolitan last night, like the whole room just like lit up in cheers, because yeah, like we've been we've been dealing with the past like six months. This idea that, like trans writes is like the thing that's killing democratic politics and fucking know it isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and quote Quoto, Cuoto ran as a fucking transphobe because he is and it didn't work. This is the joint, joint feminist transgender victory over the forces of the turf sex predator.
Speaker 1: Fuck them to wrap up my stuff here. I do want to play one minute from Zorn's acceptance speech, which I think uh speaks for itself, and.
Speaker 4: It's where the mayor will use their power to reject Donald Trump's fascism to stop mass ice agents from deporting our neighbor.
Speaker 5: I to cover an our city as a model for the Democratic Party, a party where we fight for working people with no apology.
Speaker 4: A life of dignity should not be reserved for a fortunate few. It should be one that city government guarantees for each and every New Yorker. If this campaign has demonstrated anything to the world, it is that our dreams can become reality.
Speaker 1: I sure hope this is the model for the Democratic Party going forward. Mia, you wanted to close on a sad note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really depressed this entire night because I remember feeling a lot like this in like twenty twenty three in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because this happened in Chicago. Yeah, well this but a version of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like obviously Brandon Johnson was like significantly to the right of like everything that's been happening in New York, like not not he wasn't like a right winger, but he was like you know, like the local DSA had conflict with him from other stuff, but like, you know, I remember feeling like this, and then one year later, like swat teams like deployed by the mayor that he claimed he didn't send, were beating up art students outside like literally in the middle of downtown for trying to have a Palestine encampment. And you know, like my bitter cynical personally got rap fucked by the Mayor's office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like cynicism on this is like it's gonna be weird. There's gonna be a lot of shit that sucks this. This guy is like advocated defunding the police and is attacked like the NYPPD for years. Yeah, and now he's intensively gonna be in charge of it, and he's he's not gonna be able to abolish the NYPD like that that's not gonna happen. No, So there's gonna be a degree of like you know, moratl like crisis, Like he's gonna have to work against some of the things that he stated he believes in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and on a structural level, there's there's a really significant problem here, which is that like the moment you become the leader of a capitalist city, right, it becomes your job to keep the economy running. And the problem is that like keeping keeping a capitalist economy running means you have to your job is now maintaining growth for for this economy, right, and maintaining growth through the economy means figuring out how how to have corporation continue to make more and more money. And that's not compatible with being a socialist. And everyone who has ever tried to like deal with this crisis, you either like you you have two pass It's like one you become a capitalist, right, and we see this fucking all over the place, right, it's like you know, it's it's it's Barcelona and Camboo coming into power, which is like this sort of like left wing council kind of like books to Nite thing, and then they immediately start like evicting migrants, right or two or two you actually do the thing, you do the thing you do, you do the actual socialism, and we fucking we like you know, this is this is the begetting of the end of fascism in a way where we see a fundamental change in the structure of our economic system, and that can be the outcome of this, but we have to build it, not him, like.
Speaker 1: And I think the most he's gonna be able to do is provide a bit of a safer zone for us to operate in in New York. Yeah. Yeah, he's going to be introducing more like social democratic like policies, Like he's gonna make the city like financially easier to live in. Yeah, things will suck less, which is good. He is going to to the end of his power fight against Trump's efforts to deport your neighbors, and like, that is so much better than both what Croma would do and Eric Adams, who is actively collaborating with the Trump administration. So this man's not going to actually be the least algae. He's not actually going to be the guy that ushers in the Red Revolution, which is not even something I necessarily want. But I think what he can do is make this an actually better place to live right now. Yeah, and specifically make it a better place to live as the national politics in this country are controlled by a fascist and a cabinet full of fascists. Yeah, and he can make the largest city in the country the rock upon which the tide of fascism breaks. And that matters, That does well, That does it for us today, greatest city in the world. Cheer one point five Chinese city. Let's go. It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.