Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys Street Live from the Dallas Cowboys World head Boards at the Star in Friscoll.
Speaker 1: Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's so wonderful Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, Live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in the s WBC Studios. We've got the full cast and crew ready to rock today. We've got Isaiah stand Back, Josh Rodriguez, Patrick No C Walker sporting the Braves throwbacks ice one more time. Ic my friend.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe I'm trying to give some some good. I see I didn't represent them yesterday lost and see how that works.
Speaker 2: So this might be my final chance. Yeah, I haven't any mirrors. I haven't reaped any mirrors year. That's why they met the playoffs. I went to. I went to the game where they beat up on the Rangers, though they weren't alone in that regard. The Rangers won the game. You went to, No, we definitely beat up on them boys. There it is. I don't think they want a game World Series talking chips. Now, we're talking chips, chips that rings.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have one of the greatest players of all time in our history. Multiple we got like the Nolan Ryan that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah we have Griffy Randy Johnson. Okay, how many championships did they win with you guys, doesn't matter. It's absolutely matter, doesn't. It totally changes from year to year. THERAPD is going on back then. Yeah, years, I represent the grips. Yeah, those are my size, not your side. You know how it goes exactly. I love postseason baseball, I said to baseball, just watched all sorts of October baseball.
Speaker 3: And for those that didn't get that, okay, that was an underlying joke there in the in the hood. Okay, if you grow up in a bad neighborhood, if you're if you're walking on the street, okay, and some fellows or maybe some ladies and you never know, I asked you, what your.
Speaker 2: Side, what side shoe you wear?
Speaker 4: The bad news?
Speaker 3: Don't even respond, Just look for the nearest exit or the best exit plant and just take off. Try me at that point, like not not creasing your shoes. Is not worth.
Speaker 2: Losing your shoes. Okay, so just take.
Speaker 3: Off running because back in the day, somebody asked you what side shoe you wear?
Speaker 2: You look down, You look down at your shoes.
Speaker 3: By the time you look up, you're gonna be straight uh louty tunes with the little stars. See that's what that's what we were a little bit different from where I'm from because where I gave you.
Speaker 2: Is the answer.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, but you're right, don't take your eyes off the person, like, don't look down. It depends on how many people they got. It depends how many people they got if it's one person. And okay, you may answer my size and you square up because this is about to go down because.
Speaker 2: As they say in Las Bogs, making bigger desertion, you can return it and say you can say they're your size and just really know that's how U n t stuff. No no, no, no, no no. That was actually told to me by one Bury church. Yeah, said I'm about to blow up to that's a South Lake statement. You know, you know you don't say that.
Speaker 4: That's on your rough oil on yourself and you start running at them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, freaking out.
Speaker 4: They're like never want baby oil.
Speaker 2: Sorry, maybe that a stock nowadays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just gotta out weird the per game.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that's agreed. Agreed. That's the way you get news and notes.
Speaker 3: Pat save this place, all right, So we got you yesterday, DeMarcus Lawrence was moved to IR, which was completely expected. He will be down a minimum of four games with that foot spring so verrez that Yeah, the corresponding, well, I should say, that's the corresponding move to the Cowboys poaching kJ Henry off of the Cincinnati Bengals practice squad. It's a two year deal. He's going to be on the active roster for a minimum of three weeks per poaching rules in the NFL.
Speaker 2: So he's here.
Speaker 3: But so they had to make the corresponding move expectedly, they put DeMarcus launch on IR. Michael Parsons remains week to week. He is quote unquote frustrated. He said, this injury is humbling the high ankle sprain. He's talking as if he's going to miss against the Steelers. He's not been ruled out yet, but looks like a foregone conclusion at the moment.
Speaker 2: But again he's still week the week.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy did say, however, that the team is preparing to play without him, so don't expect him to be on the field.
Speaker 2: I'll be shocked if he is too valuable for the long run. Then you got the Lions and then the bye, and.
Speaker 3: Then the forty nine is coming up, games that are going to be that much more challenging than even the challenge of.
Speaker 2: The Steelers in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Kayln Carson missed last week with a shoulder injury suffered in the loss against the Ravens. We'll see if he practices today, but McCarthy said he's making some progress. See if you can take the field to Ron Bland. Do not expect Dron Bland on the field against the Steelers. Too soon for that, but his twenty one day practice window could be opened as early as today, And for those that don't know, once that window was opened, you have twenty one days to either put the player on the active roster or they revert to season ending ir that's the in house news, and I'm just driving in this morning. Happened to casually catch a couple of reports saying the Cowboys might be interested in a big name guy from a big name place. At a particular position. But it kind of raised my eyebrow because of the position. So brow yeah, rocks eyebrow. Okay, right, you're down Micah for at least maybe one game. Yep, you're down to Marcus Lawrence for a minimum of four games out We talked to about the running back position struggling and where's Dalvin in whatever the case may be. But the Cowboys themselves in training camp kind of left the door open for a possible trade scenario at running back if things didn't kind of work.
Speaker 2: Out the way they wanted to work out.
Speaker 3: I guess my question to you guys is, would you if you were to strike a trade before November fifth, what position would it be?
Speaker 2: Would it be wide receiver? Would it be running back?
Speaker 5: I was, I was standing on business a few weeks.
Speaker 4: I need I need a wide receiver.
Speaker 5: I need another wide receiver personally, Uh, just me, just for I would love to have a wide.
Speaker 2: Receiver just so why that? Yeah, That's what I'm.
Speaker 4: Going to me. There's we've talked about it. The separation I don't think is there.
Speaker 5: I think Brandon Cooks is have and all wide receivers outside of Brandon Cooks are having trouble getting open and Dak is having to throw these like pristine, perfect window throws.
Speaker 3: Uh, demirror, Yeah, yeah, exactly, Demur.
Speaker 5: I just don't think that the spacing is out there. I don't think the threat is out there. I don't think anybody's necessarily afraid of any of the receivers outside of CD Lamb. So to me, you add another weapon, I think that opens up a lot of windows. That opens up not only throwing windows, but that opens up your running game a little bit. That kind of pushes the defense down the field if you have another threat on the other side that isn't Cede Lamb.
Speaker 2: There was sorry, go ahead, I was gonna say. We talked about it a little bit with Brandon Cooks. Though. If there's no running game, how much separation are you going to get when teams sell out to stop the pass.
Speaker 4: But you also would have Brandon Cooks in the scenario.
Speaker 2: Right, you would, and he would be your wide receiver three hopefully, But even then as a wide receiver two, he hasn't been able to get it done. Bringing in another guy, whoever that may be on the open market. Bringing in another guy, does that immediately make you a better football team just by having another wide receiver two here. I think there's other ways to improve this team at rather than spending high dollar, high draft capital, high picks to go get a guy in a spot where you already feel like you're good enough but you just aren't having the cohesiveness.
Speaker 3: Outside of that, you're talking about drafting for somebody who was of the caliber to be able to complement CD Lamb. It's going to be costly. Oh, it's going to be costly, so you have to you have to take that into account. For me, it's it's about establishing the run and that should open up opportunities for Brandon Cooks to separate and things like that. That'll force guys teams to stop playing too high safety maybe they go single high because they have to put another guy in the box.
Speaker 2: And now you give.
Speaker 3: Brandon Cooks the opportunity to impact you on those deep crossers and on those gold routes and things like that. Uh So, I don't know, man, for me, is it a signs that you is this a party?
Speaker 2: God's like, what's side of those? But I don't. I don't know that whide receiver would be it.
Speaker 3: I think you have the talent here in the Brandon Cooks to complement CD Lamb, and once Jake Ferguson really starts to get gone, I think you have that for the passing to take. But I look at a position like defensive end. Yeah, kJ Henry, he has some talent, but what does that look like? You have a depth chart at defensive end that doesn't have depth right now.
Speaker 2: That's very concerning for me.
Speaker 3: And thankfully the cornerback position is about to be resolved by Doron Bland coming back here soon. But if I were to strike a trade, the only two positions I'm willing to really entertain unless the price was just something you can't pass up on at wide receiver, which I don't think that's gonna happen at all, would be maybe running back and most certainly defensive end, depending on how the progress of DeMarcus Lawrence goes and if the Cowboys starts slipping backward in the absence.
Speaker 2: Of the Marcus Lawnce you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Of course, there's so much that you that you put into that that update there. I have to let us go backwards. Come go back a little bit, Come on, rewind it. You're about to play the Pittsburgh Steelers. Correct their quarterback currently is Justin Fields currently, Yeah, Justin Fields. He's been he's been doing okay this year. He's been doing okay this year. He's playing with more confidence. And I tell people all the time, this is a game of confidence. I don't care what your history has shown. I don't care that you're at the highest level of your competition field. If you're if you have confidence, you were going to be the best version of yourself. And I think that's what we're starting to see with Justin Fields.
Speaker 2: Everything that he was.
Speaker 3: Capable of doing in Chicago, he's gaining on that every week while he's in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: They lost last week obviously, but that was still his best numbers he's had his.
Speaker 2: Time in the league. So he's gaining, he's getting better.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you have a dual threat quarterback and you're missing both of your defensive ends. Can we start there both? Can we both both? Should be em both of them? So no shirts plays on that one. That's a best of bad shirt. But that's a problem. That's a problem, and we've talked about Marshall Neeland had a good week one against the Cleveland Browns. But I've also said that I don't feel personally my opinion, I don't think that he's a true defensive end. I think he's more of an interior I as alignment. I think that's his style of play. I don't think he's quick enough, not doesn't have a quick twitch. I don't think he's as powerful as a mouse Garrett to be able to just overpower you. And I don't think that he has an overarching speed to be able to get around the corner. I just don't think he possesses those abilities.
Speaker 4: Bar for Barr, Kyle said this for you yesterday. Yeah, I said Isaiah would say yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like I can hear him right now. It's like I don't want to put words in his memory, but I guarantee this is what he would say exactly what we look like. So yeah, so there's a problem there. There's a depth there.
Speaker 3: Law and Isaiah carl I also said in the preseason, after watching you know, calling those games for the Cowboys this preseason and seeing him play, no no, no shade on him, I just I think he's a one I think he's a one trick pony, and that's not that's not a negative thing. Is just like if that, if you're gonna have one trick, you better be dominant with it. And I don't believe that he is so well.
Speaker 2: He's also a rookie. He's four games into his career. Okay, but that's I get what you're saying. I don't want to knock the guy. I don't know. I'm not knocking the guy. I'm not. I don't listen not I don't take shots at people. Y'all know this, right.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, from what I've seen on film, he has not displayed an ability to make contributions to this team that affect and impact the game.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying today. I think it's running today.
Speaker 3: Okay, his run defense is there, correct, there but two and I'm about to agree to Marshawn's own point.
Speaker 2: His past rush is not there. He's just saying himself. He needs to know. I'm sorry I left the marshaon Neeland. I'm talking about lost. Now Carlo show that he can. Yes, I'm talking about Carloston just to show. That's how I went back to that. I went back to the preseason and said they brought in Carl Loston like his guy.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen anything on film that shows me that he can make an impact on the game. Kneeland, yes, run game right, He's He's an interior defense alignment in my eyes, and Marshall Kneland is okay, he will turn into something, you know, in terms of a.
Speaker 2: D N hopefully.
Speaker 3: I just think his body type and all that, naturally he's interior defense alignment. That's just that's just my opinion, Okay.
Speaker 4: With Carl Loston, I feel like his simple size is too small.
Speaker 5: I mean if you consider the preseason where if he played one game I think it was, and they were basically like, all.
Speaker 4: Right, we're gonna put them on in the practice. Yeah, he's not ready, he's not ramped up.
Speaker 3: But he was Also what's concerned about Carl Lawson is, and I said this yesterday, we were assuming and under the assumption that in the absence of Micah and Tank, that the McCarthy would then start talking about obviously Marshaw Kneeland, but also Carl Lawson's kind of that combo package. That's not what McCarthy was talking about now, it's talking about Marshaw Kneelan and Chauncey Ghoston. What does that tell you about Carl Lawson. It tells you what Isaiah saym. He has to show that he can contribute. Yes, So I'm not confident there. Right, So you're about to play a dual threat quarterback. You're talking about a team that runs the ball just as much as Baltimore and New Orleans, right, these guys, these guys running the ball. And by the way, those are both teams that you've lost to this year.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So these guys run the ball thirty four times a game, thirty four times a game.
Speaker 2: And that's not just turning around the hand of the ball off.
Speaker 3: That's also quarterback rounds that he's getting out the pocket. These are mocked up, whether it's it's not that's not him breaking the pocket on a pass, that's him actually having pulling guards, tackles, going after the going after your second level guys, hooking your defensive hands and getting out on the edge.
Speaker 2: So I don't feel confident there.
Speaker 3: But when you start talking about what position would you go try to trade for, there's a lot of there's a lot of issues right now with this team. There's there you have a depth issue that you knew that you had at defense end. You were hoping that nobody got hurt if you were to have you have two guys missing at the defensive line. If you had one guy you missed at receiver.
Speaker 2: Three Sam Williams, that's true. Sam William's gone, Yes, so you didn't.
Speaker 3: Nobody anticipates losing three guys, right, So Dallas. Dallas did not have a depth issue at that position coming into the season. But injuries now put you in a position where you have a depths one.
Speaker 2: You have one at receiver coming into the season.
Speaker 3: If you had one injury at receiver, you had a depth issue.
Speaker 2: Donezo. If you had one, right, you have one.
Speaker 3: You didn't lose any contributors this year coming into the season. You had one of the top offenses last year. Yep, you're coming in with that same personnel. You're coming in with the same personnel and your offense is just just not getting it done. So yes, part of it is separation. When I when people talk about Brandon Cooks and his separation, I don't necessarily agree with that narrative wholeheartedly because I think that he's open when he's supposed to be open.
Speaker 2: But if the ball's not on time. Now he's not open. Yeah right, he's quick, he's not get Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the ball's not getting out in a timely fashion, which anybody right. If you don't continue to work back to the quarterback, you're no longer open.
Speaker 2: Right. If I run my route and I'm open, I stop my feet. Now that defensive back has closed that gap. Now I'm not open.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I think Brandon Cooks is getting open. If the ball was to be on time, you're not getting the contributions from the other receivers the way in which you in which you need to. You're not seeing the creativity offensively like we've seen in the past from coach McCarthy. I know Christmas is a couple months away, but we need to get into that back a little bit earlier because your offense is not doing what it needs to do.
Speaker 2: Usually that's the opposite of what you said. Usually you say let's save the bag. Absolutely, let's push it. They're like, fill out a little bit. So we have to get that to the part you're talking about, the running game. The running game is hasn't a direct effect on this offense's ability to move the ball down the No doubt, if you don't have a running game. You're now teams know you have to throw.
Speaker 3: Now I can sit two guys over the top, right, I don't have to put seven eight guys in the box. I can play six guys in the box and run stunts right all day long and get pressure in the backfield and stop your running game. So now I can sit back and I could double up on guys, I could take care of crossers. I can have multiple safeties back there to take care of the big splash plays that we've had historically. When you see CD running those over routes, when you see Cavartae Turpin running an overroute like you ran in the first first week or second week of the season, whatever it was, you don't see you don't get those plays anymore because they have extra guys back there.
Speaker 2: So now Dak is in a position where he has to.
Speaker 3: Be precise with every dog on pass that he throws, and he can't get creative and he can't do play action because that's what he does best. So the running game has to be affected. And it's not just a personnel thing in the backfield. It's not just a backfield thing. Everybody's looking to that Room. We're gonna do a breakdown on film room this week. I'm not sure how they distribute that anymore. Right, it's on social right, but we're gonna do a breakdown to show you just how close too, just how close this running game is this.
Speaker 2: This is just guys just not taking care of their assignments. Yeah, it's not scheme.
Speaker 3: It's the same old line coach, it's the same offensive coordinator, it's the same play called. This is just guys not getting their blocks, and there's usually one guy that doesn't do his job. You got ten guys doing their job, but one guy misses his blocking assignment. The whole play is crap, and we're going to show that on film this week. So definitely take a look at that whenever we get it put out. And I think that's good. I think that's part of the point that I was making. Compared to Josh wanting a wide receiver, it would be a whole lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong. You go get a high caliber wide receiver. We've seen it in the past when they traded for Amari Cooper in twenty eighteen. The fact that it does provide a jolt to your team that's great when everything else is also set in place. I don't think everything else is set in place right now. And if you if you think that's the case, go get a wide receiver, Go do it. But if you really think so, if you want to spend that type of capital to go get it done, go get it done. If you believe it will help. I don't think it helps to the significance of what it's gonna take to go get something like this is a water bed with multiple holes in it right now? One band date, Oh the waterbed the water eighties. Maybe if you guys don't know what a water is like an industrial those like when it gets well, it's gonna fall off. Almost made a joke.
Speaker 3: But this sponsor, uh listen, water beds and I know Beamer in the back probably knows his back.
Speaker 2: He probably had one of those. He still has one waterbed.
Speaker 3: You did not get in a water bed with pins, any anything sharp in your pockets, because you will poacher the water bed and all of a sudden you got leaky bait.
Speaker 2: You guys have sharp things in your pockets.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about pencils, pins, You know what I'm saying, Bobby pin whatever, right, if you puncture a water bed, right, you only have one trade if you were to if you're the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: You got one shot.
Speaker 3: You're one shot, but you have multiple areas that need to be addressed. Okay, the Office of Lines not playing as a unit. All right, talk about in the running game. Your running backs are not getting get done in terms of being They don't even possessed ability to accelerate and get through some of these holes or make a guy miss. Right, The blocking scheme has to be perfect. We talked about this running back room. I said, there's only one guy in the entire room that has the ability to make anybody miss and win their one on one.
Speaker 2: Right, if you left the safety.
Speaker 3: Most blocking schemes, I don't know if people know this, Most blocking schemes leave one guy for the running back. Yep, I don't know if I don't know if the general public knows that. Right, you can't block everybody, right, but you could block most guys. And you say, you know what, that last guy, usually a safety or usually a corner, that's for you running back. If he presents himself, beat him right, Well, rico daddo not gonna shake nobody.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna sake him bak. Okay, it's not Talladega Nights. Ezekiel Elliott not going to do it either.
Speaker 3: Okay, we've seen that early in the season when it took about fifteen minutes for him to make make a move. Right, it happened, he did it, but I don't want you to count on that if Dalvin Cook was to come up. We don't know what Dalvin has right now.
Speaker 2: We don't know, right.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to tell a man what he can't do, right, So I've seen We've seen his body work in the past, but that's the past.
Speaker 2: So I would like to see what he's capable of doing, to see if he has that go juice.
Speaker 3: We know Deuce could do it, but Deuce is not being played put in a situation where he can do it. Okay, he's getting very close when he does have opportunities, but he's not being given enough opportunities.
Speaker 5: And we just don't We don't throw the ball to running backs very often, like we did it twice in this game and that you know, resulted in two touchdowns.
Speaker 2: It worked, and it works. Can I say something that's really gonna bother you? How many? How many plus ten run plays. Do you think that Dallas has plus ten? Yes?
Speaker 4: Like one of those four three of those are by who Ceedee Lamb?
Speaker 2: Yep, yes, yeah, there you go, so drawing one by a running back and that's Rico right yep. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But even the Giants then figured that out because the last two handoffs to Cede Lamb were negative one yard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so now teams are two of them are sweeps, one of them was him. Teams are figuring that out now. So I want to take our first break, but I want to give it get an answer from everybody. If you had one position group to make a trade for, what would it be to what are you spending your one band aid on? What's the one band aid going on? The water beds holes? I'm going I'm going to receiver, Okay, I'm going to receiver. Because you need to be confident in something kind of shocked that you went that dirt.
Speaker 3: You need to be You're not confident in your complete defense right now because the dude defensive coordinator and guys are still trying to figure it out. Offensively, you have the faith in MacArthur. You have the faith in these players that they've shown you before.
Speaker 2: That they can do it.
Speaker 3: So give him more weapons and out and you're hoping that they just figure it out along the way because they've shown you.
Speaker 2: That they that they can.
Speaker 5: Let me say, just to be a little different. I know I said large saver before, but just to change it up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Defensive line.
Speaker 3: Okay, go get a D line. He's looking at my homework. Defensive line for me. This is a Cowboys team that outside of last week, they struggled against the run. They've not gotten the pass rush over the past couple of games. And that was with Michael Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence in the mix. Without DeMarcus Lawrence or Michael Parsons in the mix, I don't see how it improves.
Speaker 2: At best.
Speaker 3: You could try to, you know, keep the dam from breaking, but that's that's that's terrifying. So yeah, I'm going defensive line. What part of the defensive line you think? Interior interior?
Speaker 2: You could sell me on either.
Speaker 3: You could sell me on and and if the interior defensive lineman that you get is someone who has some versatility to flix from like a three to a five or something like that, then I could buy into that even more.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 3: And I like what Mazi is going and we still need to see more from Mozzie, but he's at least now trending in the right direction. I wouldn't make a trade for like a definitive one tech because I need somebody that can also in a pinch. If I wanted to go a three down man front, then they can impact the game and give me a four pound want to because because the law is gonna get healthy, Mike is gonna get healthy. And when I don't want the guy that we just acquired sitting on the sideline. That's why I said you could sell me on a on an interior. That's that's what I want. I wanted if if I was gonna go d line, give me the big nasty that just can't give you. And you're not wrong the problem, because my problem is smaller. This wind tank comes back, good news. He will be back when he comes back. Is this going to be because he's at foot issues before? This is going to be something that he deals with the remainder of the season. Sure, And if that's the case, then yeah, if you sell me on a defensive lineman interior guy, I just I would love for him to have some kind of flix to be able to pop out if he needs to pop up.
Speaker 2: I would probablyte guy.
Speaker 3: I'd say edge rusher, cause sometimes you got to pop out and show there's an edge rushers out there that you could go get and you won't have to spend a bajillion dollars or a bajillion draft picks to go get.
Speaker 2: You think.
Speaker 4: The salary cap is not a billion, No, it's.
Speaker 2: Not a bajillion. The the that's the thing for me is you can go get an edge rusher. They're available. Teams have them. There's some teams that have a surplus of them. Dallas had a third plus previously. Even whenever Sam Williams went down in training camp, you and you and you and me all had a conversation about is this defensive end group? Then now it's nothing. That's what it is. It's Marshawn neland that's who you got right now. I would go get an EDG rusher. Figure it out and if it adds depth to your team, great, once they come back, once the Law and Michael Parsons come back, then you got that. I just think wide receiver.
Speaker 3: If you're thinking white receiver, which It's fine if you're thinking that, because I could see the logic. But after everything we're talking about, you fix the run game, you force the defense to play differently, single high versus two man high, things like that, then you will see Brandon Cooks get more of the deep shots and things like that. We've seen Cook's cook, but we've seen him over the back half of last season get involved heavily. So the talent is there. Maybe there's some frustration there because the Cowboys rushing attack isn't there, which then leads to the next issue, which then leads to the next.
Speaker 2: Part of my reasoning for saying a defensive end is because of what Isaiah said, you have confidence in your offense. I think they'll figure it out. I think Brandon Cook just think. I think the creativity will be think they can. I think Jason Ferguson coming back into the fold will be there. I think all of these things will lead to the point where it will be figured out. Offensively. I'm not confident the defense will figure it out in terms of stopping the.
Speaker 3: Run and rushing the pat We address that question when we come back, which one what part of your what part of your team are you most confident in, most confident.
Speaker 2: In Yeah, I guess sure. We've also got to do our defensive preview of Pittsburgh Steelers defensive versus just as office.
Speaker 3: This is the same Isaiah Stambeck going into the Giants game, who was right there with me when the Cowboys were allowing over four hundred yards rushing.
Speaker 2: That was with Micah in tank gets a field, that's where you need a big, nasty but they also couldn't get after the quarterback. We will be right back with more talking cowboys. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and row yourself some Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 6: Today, Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah.
Speaker 7: Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G.
Speaker 6: Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See atd dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 4: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: To the Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oades, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: In I sure it did, Spody Ody, Oh I'm ody, Spody Odidi, the.
Speaker 4: Old Goat, Isaiah Sandre, the.
Speaker 3: Good for the land, for the uncultured, probably reference uninitiated.
Speaker 2: You know what I want to uncultured? This Quaker Oats. You know, the little guy that's on the front the Quaker the Quakerman Quaker. Yeah, I don't know a Quakerman Steve. It's like a Superman Steve. Did you know that Quaker Steve? Yeah? Is that true? Whoever, whoever the mascot is. I hope they have like, you know how like the Nationals do their like their president's race, and they've got like the costumes, the big mascot costumes where they like run around in them. I hope they have one of those lying around and I hope one day he just burst through this door in the middle.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna dress up as a quack, kind of like just bursting.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, I have his name. What's his name? His name is Larry. Larry is the Quaker? Interesting?
Speaker 3: Can we can we can? We can we put that to a vote, like, can we get a better name for Larry?
Speaker 2: I kind of like Larry. I don't know. Was the first year eighteen Larry eighteen? It was more jeez. I think eighteen eighty two is when he first came out and the mechanic the Lobster. Okay, listen, Josh came up with a great idea. We got to find a bet. We got to find a bet where somebody has to dress up as Larry the Quaker Man for an entire episode if they lose the Bet. I like that, Bet. I think we can make this happen.
Speaker 4: Will be so happy he's That would be a whole sponsorship person that works if.
Speaker 2: You get the Lock of the If you don't get your Lock of the Week, you have to dress up as Larry. Okay, that would mean everybody is dressing up as Larry, which would also be in turn very very funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not that you're going to pick him the segment, all.
Speaker 2: Right, it's got to be something organic. We'll find out. We'll figure it out, all right, like Oaks, Just like Oats, Cowboys defense versus the Pittsburgh offense missing a couple of pieces, And I'll kind of phrase this, Isaiah, you wanted to answer that question. Does it waiver your confidence in the way that this defense is constructed whenever you don't have DeMarcus Lawrence and Michael Parsons? Absolutely it does, right, it waivers your confidence. But where's the confidence level in each of the units for this Cowboys team? Offensively?
Speaker 3: I feel like you have hope because they you've seen it in the past, and you're just trying to figure out what's the missing link. Just after watching film. I have faith that this running game will get going. I have faith offensive passing wise. I just think that's honestly, the majority of that's on McCarthy. I'm gonna put that responsibility on him. I would tell him that to his face as well. I just I think the office on line is doing a really good job. I think they have the six best protection in the league right now. So Deak's having time. Actually, Dak has a higher completion percentage when under pressure, which is odd, So don't protect them. So he's getting time right office lines given him time. So I put that oncarth I've seen guys get open. So the fact that he's getting time, I'm seeing guys get open. We have to find ways to be more creative in terms of getting guys to take it splash plays outside of yak yardage yards.
Speaker 2: Have to catch.
Speaker 3: Defensively, I I'm not convinced. That's just my my real response. The defense of the running game hasn't been good. The run defense hasn't been good. And then my concern that I had coming aga into the season is kind of coming true. And that was in regards to the defensive end position, which we put a lot of emphasis on right and a lot of trust in their inability now within this scheme to get after the quarterback. And that was my concern and we can go back, there's receipts for that's my concern with this new defense, Like, okay, these guys are no longer the feature now the feature players are the linebackers. But if you can't stop the offensive lineman from getting up to the linebackers, then they can't do what you're asking them to do, nor be the superstars that you want them to be.
Speaker 2: So now who is the superstar?
Speaker 3: If the defensive ends aren't your superstars, if you have no real interior defensive line presence, if your linebackers are getting reached right now we're asking your dbs that are playing a lot as own, Is that what we're asking? And no, So I don't have a lot of confidence there. And it's not because of the players. It's because mostly because of the scheme. And I think Zimmer has to He's gonna get I don't know if he has a bag, he might have a ziplock, but get in there and pull something out, not the zip right, pull get into zipp and get in there and grab whatever the snacks you have. Okay, until you can make a costco run and throw something out there, man, because right now we just haven't seen enough. You haven't seen enough. And it's the same same thing that we know that we knew coming into the season. Okay, this is the type of style of defense he likes to run. They have you figured right now, They have you figured out.
Speaker 2: You got to get in that Crown Royal bag purple Crown Royal kept a pistol in that one, all right, how you no, that's smart?
Speaker 3: Like you know what I'm saying, though, I saw that there isn't one aspect of this team that I feel amazing with right now. But I have most confidence in our kicking game and I have confidence you know. I guess special teams is probably one and then offense to defense three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. We talked about it the other day and we did. We went through the high five article that was on Dallas Cowboys dot com. Uh, and one of the five reasons to be optimistic going into the rest of the year is the fact that you probably have the best special teams unit in football right now with Brandon Aubrey, Brian Anger and Cavante Turpin as your returner. Can I as a real question and I want to ask this.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Today's not do not ask.
Speaker 4: It was asking real questions.
Speaker 2: We're not talking.
Speaker 3: You're not talking to the people today. When you cross the fifty yard line, I need I need your real answer right now. When you cross the fifty yard line, are you thinking touchdown right now as a spectator or are you thinking field goal?
Speaker 2: Field goal?
Speaker 3: That's a problem, it is, and this is we talked about this in training camp when it was the question was is it a good thing that you have a kicker that can kick sixty sixty five yards? And I was like, yeah, it's a great thing because that's rare but not lean. But I also want you to forget that your kicker can kick sixty plus yards because that will force the offense to stop relying on it and say all we have to do is get across the fifty.
Speaker 2: No, what you need to do is get in the end zone. That's what you need.
Speaker 5: The fact that you have a kicker that can kick sixty yard field should only spring into your brain when there when there are five seconds left.
Speaker 4: Yes, in the court in the half or the game. You know what I'm saying, Like, that's when you're like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, by the way, games, god on in if.
Speaker 4: It's the first series of the first drive of the game, absolutely not. What are we doing dude?
Speaker 2: And I mean I get kicking field goals and putting points on the board, but there have there have been many drives and well, I'll write the highlight reel for whenever we go back through them postgame and whenever I'm riding the highlight reels like, well, they had one completion the Hunter lipke and it ended up in a field goal. That's We've seen too many drives like that. But it's one completion, you get a field goal. Great, everybody feels happy about it. And Brandon Aubrey is still Brandon Aubrey doing Brandon Aubrey thing.
Speaker 3: And the opposing team runs it down your throat for a touchdown and they now you're touchdown touchdowns.
Speaker 2: For field goals. Yeah, you can't do that. The of the office used to be your spark. Yeah, they used to be number one.
Speaker 3: That was your spark, right, that was your that was my I got that in the bag, Like we're good, like we're good there, we're gonna score some points.
Speaker 2: Now now you're holding for three down field.
Speaker 3: They're proven, they can you know, have extended drives, but penalties and it's miscues and things like that that's what kills them in the red zone. Between and up to the red zone, they're effective, but then they get close to the red zone and it's it's holding, its false start, it's you know, MISSQ here. So if they clean those up, so to Calla's point, I believe that they have the ten on an offense to get it figured out. But when you look at defensively on the defensive line, now, who's your superstar, who's your headliner?
Speaker 5: Well, to Isaiah's point, I don't even think it's necessarily a red zone issue. We are not even getting to the red zone as consistently as we should. You know, it's it's getting into the past the fifty and it's like all right, yeah, it's field goal time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's it's not the it's the place that gets you to the field goal.
Speaker 5: It's not exactly taking the field taking points where you can get them, right, sure, it's the second and tent that you're facing and you're like Okay.
Speaker 4: Well let's run up the military yards.
Speaker 5: And then that becomes a third and long and then they're like, okay, now we got to take a deep shot incomplete fourth and lossit.
Speaker 3: You know, that was my concern in having It's right to have the weapon you have in Brandon Aubrey, but you have to use it correctly. You can't walk into that that drive saying oh, all we need to do is get across the fifty noo that drive saying we need to touch down. And I don't think that they're doing that. I just think it's in their subconscious status, like Okay.
Speaker 2: If we don't do it, we're good. You know, if you're doing it subconsciously, you're still doing it. It's the same thing like about our kid.
Speaker 3: You know, everybody has kids, right, so it's like we mess up because growing up we didn't have a lot, right, most of us didn't have a lot.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 2: We had a grinding and get it out of my side, whatever it might be. So now that we have kids, right, we mess our kids up because like you know what, there.
Speaker 3: We're gonna make sure that they're taking care of They have better than we had, right, and they don't have that same drive to be amazing majority of the time because guess what, I'm good.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like, there's something I can rely on it. So that's kind of the approach.
Speaker 3: And not to say that you don't work hard, not to say that you don't have the same intent, but when you have it in your subconscious that I'm good.
Speaker 2: If I don't, then there's something that you now can lean on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you know you don't have a safety net, correct much more correct getting not falling off the high wire.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be another week where you cannot trade field goals for touchdown because they controlled the time of possession. Justin Fields has been playing lights out, lights out stuff.
Speaker 4: He is no longer just in Soldier Fields.
Speaker 2: Day Yeah, yeah, Seal. Actually to go to your point there, to go to your point there. The last six starts for Justin Fields, he's had at least a ninety passer rating. At least he's four and two in those starts. His touchdown to interception ratios eight to one. This of course dates back to the final two games of last year as well his first thirty six starts when he was justin Soldier Fields. Josh Rodriguez. Right, he was nine of twenty seven nine wins twenty seven losses in his time with the Bears. In early time with Pittsburgh, total touchdowns interceptions it was fifty one to twenty nine and his passer rating was at eighty two, So not good.
Speaker 4: He was a playmaker still in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think some numbers.
Speaker 5: At least now when you're seeing Justin Fields with the Steelers, he's been decisive in the pocket without having the sort of hairline trigger to run the ball right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when scrambling.
Speaker 5: His mechanics has gotten so much better than his time with the Bears, in his footwork, like being able to plant while on the run, being able to plant and throw the ball has been obviously a huge step up from his time with the Bears. Definitely no Russell Wilson for this game, so you're gonna rely on Justin Fields, who is, like we said, a dual threat quarterback.
Speaker 4: He's looking really, really solid.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he has fourteen first downs using his arm. He has another seven first downs on this time, my third down. That is fourteen first downs through the air, seven of them on the ground. They're forty forty forty four percent on third down efficiency. So these guys are top top ten in the league in terms of third down So they're staying within drives. They're gonna run the crap out of the ball. They running the ball, like I said, thirty four to thirty five times a game. So they're playing keep away. They're playing keep away. They're gonna make you load the box. And you best believe if they're is ever a coach in the NFL outside of Dan Campbell, outside of Dan Campbell.
Speaker 2: Okay, will who will relentlessly run the ball? It is Mike Tomlin. Yeah. And if he sees that you have a weakness, is there a weakness on the d line? Oh yeah, Okay, if you see that you have a.
Speaker 3: Weakness and that's already their tendency to run the ball thirty five times a game, then what are you going to get?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 3: And then you can't load the box because you if you if you lay out to try to stop the run, there's dudes on the outside too, right, you got pickings on the outside. Right, you got Jay Fields like you outflank you if you get out, if he gets out of the pocket.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what the approach is I really don't know what the approach is. You have to try to find a way to shut him down, though to the approaches.
Speaker 3: The approach is this is even though he's young, and typically young quarterbacks don't do well against the blitz, don't blitch justin fields. No, don't blitch no, because that's the number one that's given him an out because he wants to run anyway, right, force him to contain him in the pocket, which then allows time for your st glean defensive front to get to him. Because here here are the numbers, and this is via nex gen right versus the blitz. He's only well, he's twenty three for thirty two. He has two touchdowns, no interceptions, one twelve passerrating. That passer rating drops down to ninety two point two when he's not blitzed. Completions are only fifty four of seventy seven. He's been sacked six times when he's not blitzed. So don't blitz him. So make him make the reads. He has improved upon that, but he's still not quite that dude to sit in the pocket and dissect the game. He's not gonna payt and man in you, No, he's not gonna Tom Brady. You So if you had to pick a poison, is what I'm saying, don't let the poison be with his legs, because you're already struggling to stop the run and Nag he's going to get his presumably, So what you want to do is keep from adding and compounding onto that problem. By then now you have to deal with Naja on the ground, and you got to deal with Justin on the ground as well.
Speaker 2: No deal with Naji on the ground, deal with Justin in the air.
Speaker 3: Of those six sacks, four of those sacks came from two high safety safeties.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's just the through film study.
Speaker 3: Okay, so of those Yeah, so you're playing coverage, right, you're playing over the type he's he is being very he's being very intentional about when he actually decides to throw the ball.
Speaker 2: He's he's deliberately not turning the ball. He's not taking risk.
Speaker 3: And I think I know why he's not taking risks because he knows if he messes up, there's somebody that can step into his position.
Speaker 2: There's a guy there.
Speaker 3: So he is being very intentional about when he's going to release the ball and how he's going to release the ball, the position's going to put it in. So whenever you're in a position to have a two high shell, you have more defenders. We just talked about it in regards to the detail the Dallas Cowboys defense. He's not letting the ball go, he's not airing it out, he's not trying to throw it in small windows. So he has a tendency to hold on to the ball when you have those extra defenders. But in order to have those extra defenders, you have to put them in third and long situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then one more step when it comes to blitzing versus not blitzing. When you blitz him, his completion percentage over expectation is over expectation. When you don't blit him, it drops down to three percent. Got to have a plan contain him, got to force him to throw, make difficult make difficult throws, make difficult reads. But don't send that extra dude. And you also don't have the luxury to send that extra dude.
Speaker 2: Right, Who does that put pressure on on the defensive side of the football. We'll answer that question when we come back with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: After this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 7: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 8: Five G requires CANPATBA plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. He add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Dear equipm built to tackle Eddie challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com. To find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for.
Speaker 2: Some epic tailgates.
Speaker 11: But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com.
Speaker 4: Check it out today.
Speaker 11: YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys, and we're going to overtime Erica.
Speaker 6: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 10: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to air Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me. Very digital tools feature required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elsh language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC to.
Speaker 6: Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back, You're on Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by in VIZI Line the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys, Patrick no C Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Stanback, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yelmans. We asked the question, now, if you're not blitzing Justin Fields, who is without Michaeh Parsons, without DeMarcus Lawrence, who's the most pressure on defensively to get the job done and contain Justin Fields?
Speaker 4: Demarvian over shoo right back to him.
Speaker 5: He needs to fly around the field. I want to see him on the blitz as well. I want to see him give Justin Fields some issues.
Speaker 2: We just said said, don't blitz, don't want to.
Speaker 4: I want to see it when you're guys that fast, I want to see it.
Speaker 2: I agree. It is just like I get the science. I understand, but I still want to try it all I guess, but don't blitz what was the line lay.
Speaker 4: With your science second of the week blitz.
Speaker 3: By extra large degree, it is the man, but extra large disagree. Don't use him to blitz, use him to help seal those edges in spy just the feels to keep him from burning the edges. But I also say another reason you don't need to send to Marve on overshown is what we didn't talk about is the as much as the Cowboys defensive line is dealing with injury right now, Pittsburgh offensive line.
Speaker 2: Is wricked with injuries.
Speaker 3: Right So, yeah, we have Cooper Bob as a starting center, we have Tyler Gotten as a starting left tackle where they got Zach Fraser as a starting center, and Mason McCormick. Quite likely you will start at left guard, So you should if you're talking about Mozzie taking a step, if you're talking about Marshawn kneeling, Chauncey Ghost and maybe Osa should eat well against this injured offensive line of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't have to blitz.
Speaker 3: So not only do you not need to blitz, or not only should you not blitz, but you may not need to blitz.
Speaker 4: But sounds nice. It sounds nice, but I want to see at least spy.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you got to use him to spy fields, but don't send him at field, use him to kind of hover. And then as soon as Fields breaks left, all right, unleach the demons following me.
Speaker 2: The first snap that overshown, bully or rushes and blitz, his first snap that he does this crew message on Sunday is gonna My answer is Eric, I'm going with Eric Hendricks.
Speaker 3: And I say that because Eric Kendricks is now thrust it into the position of the undoubted leader on this side of the ball on the field on game day. There's nobody else in that front seven that will have the voice that he has and that will be respected like he's respected. So not only from that regard in terms of trying to keep these guys on the rails mentally, but also putting guys in the best position. And he is your quarterback on defense. So as you're having this chess match, right, the play comes in too justin Fields. He gets that from Arthur Arthur Smith, he gets that call, and then obviously Coach Zimmer gives a call to Eric Hendricks and then from that point on you.
Speaker 2: Those are the two guys that are playing chess on the fields. It is green day. It is literally those two going head ahead.
Speaker 3: So Justin Fields versus Eric Hendricks, I would hope that Eric Hendricks will win that mental game from his experience alone.
Speaker 2: So I would see Justin Fields quite a few times too during the time in the same division, So I would like to see him.
Speaker 3: Mess with him, mess with the looks, mess with the gats, mess with all those things, stunts.
Speaker 2: Whatever it might be.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, it's because you're gonna have to run stunts, hospol, let's just call it what it is. You're gonna have to run stunts if you want to get any type of pressure, if you want to get any type of containment while eliciting pressure, you're gonna have to do all that. That's all coming from Eric Hendricks. So he's gonna be getting those guys lined up and he's gonna be playing those mental games with with Justin Fields. So I'm looking at him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it. I think there's ways that you can contain him, even with some of the lack of depth that you have and some of the star pieces that are out. But it's not gonna be easy. Justin fields is not. If you're expecting to see Chicago Bears justin fields when you're watching Sunday Night Football this week, don't watch. That's not who you're getting. But it will be a chess match. Like you said, between those guys in between, the coordinators are trying and get the job done. All right. That does it for us here on Talking Cowboys. Hope you had fun with us here over the last forty five minutes. We'll be back tomorrow. Cowboys offensive preview versus the Pittsburgh Steelers defense. We've got some fun to be had in that regard as well. For Patrick nose Walker, Isaiah stand Back, Josh Rodriguez, Chris being in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomen saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see tomorrow. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.