Speaker 1: Sabrina, We've been doing a bunch of these together. Now, I feel like we're getting to know each other as people, as friends. We're enjoying the time that we're spending together.
Speaker 2: In your tone that you have right now is already making me nervous about the first questions.
Speaker 1: I think it's a hard hitting question. I think it's a question that I'm amazed our friendship has gotten this far without knowing. It's one of the first things I knew about writer and Danielle. So, okay, this is important. Yeah, pineapple on a pizza good or communist?
Speaker 2: Oh you know, it's crazy because I just recently flipped to the other side. I used to just think it was so ridiculous. I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: At all, right, which was the first answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, But as well as barbecue pizza, not a fan. I don't think things on pizza are. They're not my thing. I'm not really a barbecue chicken person in general.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: Like on pizza or salads, I just don't like. I just they don't mix for me. However, now I told you that Jordan has a trigger, and we have the pizza oven thing for the trigger, and we did our own dough all of that. Did pineapple him barbecue, and yeah, I did all of that. I just I mean, that's just what I knew he was gonna like. And it was kind of like a thing for me to do for him. And then I tried it and it was like a different pizza to me. So I did flip. But I'm sure it won't last long, for to long.
Speaker 1: I don't hate you. You're just wrong in your opinion.
Speaker 2: I'm more veggies spicy, you know what. That's more me. I do not like it normally, but I will say for whatever reason, and this concoction of a of a machine that we got it made.
Speaker 1: It so good and change machine.
Speaker 2: It worked, Yes, And I'm sure if I ever order one, I'll be right back to where I started.
Speaker 1: Hands down, the correct answer, the correct We're just getting to know each other, just getting to know each other. Well. Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis, and the high School's musical. I'm Wilford All and.
Speaker 2: I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: What's time for our podcast Sabrina Whimsical, Walt Disney Wherewithal where two hosts breakdown the ongoing journeys of socialites susie Ces and tsunamis. And this week we're taking apart the alliteration heavy as You Could Tell two thousand and six family comedy, Read It and Weep. This was based on the novel How My Private Personal Journal Became a bestseller, a title that has actually used directly as a line in the movie. And it's authored by Julia de Villers, who would later go on to write the Maddie Ziggler book series with Maddie and Sabrina. What other book She.
Speaker 2: Wrote a book with me called Princess of Gossip. There go love Julia. She is the sweetest woman and just I just love she can think of book ideas and just it's just she's so quick. She's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Well I and you know, spoiler alert, she was going to be coming on the show and then had to postpone. But we'll get her on. She's going to You're gonna be able to talk to her about it.
Speaker 2: We'll get on.
Speaker 1: So it's going to be uh. And she's also a cameo in the movie. Yes, and you're going to have to tell me where. So we'll keep an eye out and let me know when you see her go like, there's waldough because I don't know.
Speaker 2: It happens pretty early on. It's not it's not too far down the line.
Speaker 1: Did you read this book?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't. I didn't. Okay, the movie had already been made, and so I already knew about her and that my my manager somehow connected with her and got us connected, and I went to one of her book signings. She's so easy to fall in love with. She's a twin, which I always love. I just think twins are the coolest. And yeah, she's like amazing and I love.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I can't wait to be able to sit down and talk with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so this one is obviously is focusing on the dynamics of high school Read It and Weep was filmed in good old Salt Lake City in the decom paradise known as Murray High School. And if it looked familiar to all of you, there's a very good reason for that. It was the backdrop for some of high school musical and all of minute Men. It looks like the most amazing high school in the history of high schools. Did you notice immediately that we were back in a familiar space?
Speaker 2: You know what the the cafeteria look like the cafeteria from Xenon to me, when not not the space cafeteria on air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looked a little.
Speaker 2: That's what I clocked was, Oh, that cafeteria is from Xenon.
Speaker 1: I remember, I think we should keep it where. Frankly, all of these things like Shermer High, like all the kind of old school eighties movies. I think all these movies are all actually taking place at the same high school. I think all these characters actually go to high school together from all these different movies, and it's just the day you get there, it's like, oh, I guess we're singing today, like you just never know. So I think that's kind of never know. So no soundtrack was ever released for this movie, which is strange, but that did that stop Disney from pushing some of their Hollywood recording artists into the fold. The song Outside Looking In by Jordan Pruitt was recorded for this movie, as well as a track from Disney actor Nick Whittaker and our favorite high school musical ghost voice Drew Seely, who as a name that has come up several times on this podcast. We got to get Drew.
Speaker 2: He was really part of this huge era.
Speaker 1: You know what we should do is we should get another actor to come on to be on Zoom, but Drew's voice comes on and sings and talks for I think that's what we should do. The montages of this movie are actually just music videos for all the tracks in it. You can tell and read it and weep as you all know, because you'd like to watch along with us. Is available to stream now on Disney Plus. Watch it now or wait until after the podcast. It's a preference that no one should judge, be yourself, have some confidence and figure it out, and so we always go. Did you know anything about reading a week before we started? You did because you knew Julia?
Speaker 2: Right? Yes, so I knew the preface. I had not watched it, but I already knew the two main actresses that were in it. Sure is we've already seen her at some point in a d com and then the younger one, who I just think is just so cute and so adorable. I loved watching.
Speaker 1: Well, she will get into that because it was I I had trouble watching her, And I'll get into why. When I say why, it would be like, oh, okay, that makes sense. Trouble is the wrong word. It's just it was. It was throwing me as I was watching. But we'll, we'll, we'll, we'll, we'll hit all of that all right. By the way, three guesses. Did I know anything about this movie before? Can I? I'm okay, No, I knew nothing. So before you accidentally email your friend the wrong file and become the voice of a zapping generation, let's get into the synopsis. A high school girl's private journal becomes a best seller after she accidentally hands it in as a homework assignment. Did you ever have a journal? Were you a journal?
Speaker 2: I did? I did a little bit, and then I had one of these like uh, digital my diary type things or something I remember.
Speaker 1: How like a tamagachi or those different.
Speaker 2: No, it's totally that's that's like a game. Basically, this is like a little had a little keyboard and you could only write again same like kind of sort of how it was for Twitter or whatever certain amount of characters. It was just like a little tidbit every day that you would do.
Speaker 1: And it kind of cool. Have you found it? You should find it and try to know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I threw it away. I'm not good at keeping stuff on. My mom might actually have it.
Speaker 1: Boards things I recently found. We talked about it on Pommy's World. I found a journal that I made that I kept only for like the first month and a half that I lived in Los Angeles that I was doing Boy Means World. But it was it was amazing to see again. Yeah, what did you think of the movie? Early thoughts? What'd you think?
Speaker 2: I thought it was cute. You know, it's kind of stepped us out of we did. We've obviously done a lot of musicals, right, We've done a lot of movies that have been built around sports, so that adds a different energy. And then recently we've been doing you know, we're we've jumped into doing Halloween vibes. This was just kind of a movie that I feel was really relatable of just every day insecurities of a high school young girl, right, and boys and everything as well.
Speaker 1: I think mostly girls though, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mainly girls, but you know, Connor and their shout out to our.
Speaker 1: Boy get into a we have to talk about this, but I love him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anyway, so you know, I just think it was just kind of a girl's like yeah, okay, we'll say more of a girl.
Speaker 1: It was a girls movie. This one was tough for me to connect with, was it. Yeah, yes, this was tough for me to connect with.
Speaker 2: But I think it's also hard and something very big to like put a pinpoint on is it is also extracted from the big power music scenes and the big you know, high school basketball games and like that kind of stuff. So it had it was good for it to not have any of those big energy. It was just placed into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My, So I had trouble connecting this movie. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It was just kind of a movie. My problem with this movie was the second I turned it on, I knew exactly what was going to happen. Really, okay, of course you knew exactly what did the second you know the premise, you know, I knew step by step exactly what was going to happen in this movie. Every step of the way. Nothing surprised me, nothing shocked me. It was a standard ABC gets Too Big for Breeches thinks she's popular, leaves her friends, gets her friends back. But I mean, it's I've just.
Speaker 2: Seen it at that haven't seen it. I thought this would be a great movie for them to be seen.
Speaker 1: Again, it's not. It wasn't a bad movie. I had trouble connecting with this movie again. Acting all good, but you know, it was just I knew where it was going.
Speaker 2: Line doesn't really over arc into like any type of an adult world, you know what I mean. It's really based for young young kids going through this kind kind of awkward stage and you know, finding themselves in a hierarchy of high school and all that kind of stuff. Like I think that's like not something that parents or adults or anyone outside of high school can really like. No, I get you a little bit, but not as much.
Speaker 1: I just feel like I've seen this movie a thousand times and I've seen better versions of it. That's how I kind of look. But it was what it was. Read it and weep was directed by another name we've heard a ton of times here, Paul Hohen, a man whose name has been said, like we've talked about a lot of times on the podcast lately. He's a dcom legend. The Man began his career on Kids Incorporated, and jumped into the Disney movie spectrum with Here's an Old Banger, Luck of the Irish, and racked up other titles like Jump In, The Cheated Girls, One World, Camp, Rock To, and eventually the entire franchise of the Zombies. So he is still doing with Love TAKEO Love to get him on the show. It stars another sister duo, something we at least know they like from titles like Double Teamed, but this time they're not using twins. It is the Panabaker Girls. Kay and Danielle, best known for their stint on the TV show Summerland. Both were child stars who racked up credits on some kid favorite shows and movies. So Kay, who played the all American and shy Jamie Bartlett, had appeared on shows like Er, Seventh Heaven, and Angel before Summerland, and was already in a dcom Life is Rough. You may also I'm Gonna say it every time. By the way. You may also recognize her from Phil the Future, the two thousand and seven Nancy Drew movie, or the two thousand and nine reboot of Fame I'm Gonna Live Till Tuesday. She retired from acting in twenty twelve and has since become a zoologist working at Disney World in Orlando. So she's still in the Disney family. That's totally cool. And the reason I said I was thrown by watching her is because to me, she looked so much like Larissa olinek when she was younger that it threw me. It just absolutely threw me. I was like, that's Larissa, Yes, it was. It was strange. And then we've got older sister, Danielle, who plays the fictional and wildly confident Tea spilling Isabella or is who is still acting. You may know her now as Caitlin Snow or Killer Frost and what was the DCTV universe on shows like The Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and DC Legends of Tomorrow. Her dcom career started with Stuck in the Suburbs, and she also appeared in sky High, the TV show Shark Justified, and Franklin and Bash and Little fun fact. Sky High was actually written by the creators of a little show called Kim Possible. And she has a little career as a scream queen, appearing in two thousand and nine's Friday the Thirteenth, The Crazies and Piranha three D D? Is that right? Am I saying that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Think it is three D D?
Speaker 3: I mean, well, I don't mean to dirty the podcast, but it's it's Parana three double D?
Speaker 1: Is that what it is? Is it really Piranha three double D?
Speaker 2: Double d?
Speaker 1: Oh? That's awesome. Three It's the best title I've ever heard. They are two very fun sisters from the extended Disney universe, and we're happy to see them in this Did you do you know them in real life at all?
Speaker 2: No? No?
Speaker 1: Okay. I had a meal or two with Danielle at some conventions. You'd sit down and have lunch together, something very sweet. And they've been around forever. I mean just absolutely ever. But again, every time I was watching K I was like, that's Larissa, that's Larisa.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Marquis C. Brown is Lindsey. You may know her from Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, Gray's Anatomy or Scandal. And Jason Dolly, a true dcom legend and friend of the show, is back. He plays Connor. He appeared in Minute Men. I wonder if shooting in this location gave him weird flashbacks and hatching Pete, but is best known as PJ. Duncan on Good Luck Charlie, which also had a decom Christmas movie, and Newt and Corey in the House. And I'm gonna say something right now. I'm gonna I'm gonna hot take it as but it's official. He is my favorite dcom actor. He is so likable and nerdy and fun and he's great and he if we're giving out awards with someday, we have to. Yes, he is my favorite DCM actor because he is just so good in this movie. He was good, admitted, but he's just good and you instantly like him.
Speaker 2: Yes, with that, I mean it feels like without him even trying, you just he's just so easy to watch.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And he's adorable. Yeah, Jason, you are adorable.
Speaker 1: He's great. He's my favorite dcom actor of all time. I somebody come and knock me off this hill because I'm gonna die on it. He's my favorite dcom actor of all time. And we've got another friendly face with Tom Virtue as the dad. Ralph Bartlett. We know him as the dad in Even Stevens. We just saw the Even Stevens movie and the Even Stevens d com which we just talked about. But he's a longtime working actor who's also appeared in Iron Man three, Green Book, and like one hundred different TV shows, including Dirty John, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and New Heart. And then we got the mom Connie Young. Her first job in Hollywood was on a movie often called the worst movie ever made, Troll two. What do we call sequels on the show Troll two? This time it's personal, which is undoubtedly not what it's called. But I've never seen Troll two. Now I have to see it, because well I.
Speaker 2: Thought you did see. I have no constantly what the Troll one was.
Speaker 1: Troll one is. Troll one is a masterpiece, won eleven Academy Awards. Troll two very bad?
Speaker 3: He will do you know? I'm sorry to chime in again, but do you know the name of the kid in Troll one?
Speaker 2: No? What is it?
Speaker 3: Harry Potter?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the character's name.
Speaker 1: Is it really? And this is before the whole franchise, right? It was?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, wow, Harry Potter and the Crazy Troll Movie. I love that Harry Potter. This movie, though, runs eighty four minutes, which is below the target, but I'd much rather see that than above the target, and it was written by Patrick J. Clifton, who is a big deal in the Poppy World universe. He is the writer of Summertime Switch starring mister Ryder Strong. He also has the story credit on the poly shorre movie Son in Law, and wrote the is that an that you love?
Speaker 2: Love that movie? Oh it's so good cruising the pipeline. It's so good. You're a huge I was. I mean when he was big. I loved it. I loved everything he did.
Speaker 1: He was so funny to me, that's awesome. I love that. I don't think I've ever seen a poly shor movie, and that's a shame. He seems like a nice guy. Getting back to mister Clifton, he also wrote the dcom Go Figure, which I think is about figure skating or it's about maths. I don't know. I don't know. I think it's could be either. I think it's about figure skating. He shares credit with obviously the writer of the book, mister Villers, but also Beth Regazzio, who was a frequent writing partner of his as well. All right, here we go, pick up your tmu iPad and get to write in words and drawn stick figures because it's time to get in to read it and weep. So we start the movie in away we've never once seen before ever in a d com. We're in a girl's bedroom. Oh wait, that's how we start most of them.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, great way to learn the character. It gets everything we need. So while the credits are rolling over the music in this case, we see a typewriter, a pencil sharpener, and use journals, leading us right to young Jamie Bartlett at her laptop, feverishly typing away, narrating that this story won't be about how high school is the worst time of somebody's life. She wants to tell us about Isabella aka Is, who's played by her more glamorous, made up sister in real life. Really cool casting. It's like looking at yourself in the future a little bit the better version of yourself. Whol way to use sisters, I thought, as opposed to just we're playing sisters. It totally Yeah, very interesting and a great casting. Yes, we enter a fantasy rold over her high school, populated by the normal clicks and a witchy librarian, but only real in her journal, which is a type of early photoshop mix of hand drawn text and clip art. Isabella, you know, is as we said, is more confident and desired than Jamie and is so strong she's even able to climb to the top of the dreaded gym class rope and then fall right into the arms of dreamy class name Vincent Marco, who looks like a taller version of zach zac Efron. I thought the Zachrony.
Speaker 2: I mean it just was he looked more of like an Italian version of Zach.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it looks just like him. Just like did you have to climb the rope in No?
Speaker 2: I was in my serenacities, ask Will did he ever have to do this rope climb thing?
Speaker 1: I never did I by this point, So what you do it? In? Like sixth grade? Fifth fifth grade? So I mean the eighties early eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hard, Yeah, climbing a rope. I've done it before, somewhere like a you know, like an obstacle course type place.
Speaker 1: We didn't have knots either. They had knots in their rope, so they were we just had a rope and we just have to grab on and inside of your thighs get gloves. No, you don't, get you you have this obsession with gloving up your hands before you do stuff, well.
Speaker 2: When it requires like a rope that gives you rope burn and blisters, Yes, I feel like that's the safest way to get I.
Speaker 1: Wanted to crotch gloves back in the day because that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Isabella can climb the rope and ring the bell, but we returned to reality where Jamie can barely make it halfway. And this is actually a story about a person who doesn't love high school, and that person is Jamie. And this is where she says, this story is actually about how my private personal journal became a bestseller. So she ties the book right in. They obviously they changed the title of the book, but they use it. So Jamie gets pinballed around the busy school hallways until she bumps into her two friends, Harmony and Lindsay. Lindsay's trying to save the planet, by which she means the theater downtown which is called the Planet. Harmony painted the posters, but they're in a cubic style that no one could read, and frankly, I thought the posters looked really cool. The girls are off the class, handing out flyers in the way when they run into evil cheerleaders, Sawyer and the feared populars. But in the journal she caused Sawyer Myrna, she writes that the whole school was afraid of Murna and her clones. But Isabella is intrigued. So this might be the hardest recap we have to do, because it's Aliases and Isabella and is and Myrna and Sawyer Sawyer, and it's Marco is the guy, but he's it's there's a lot going There's a lot going on people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot of back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yes, and a lot of fantasy to the other one, a lot of possible mental illnesses and schizophrenia. It's like, no joke, I thought I was worried for this girl. So we now see another fantasy. This time is stands up to the mean girls then makes them disappear with a flick of a magical wrist zap. The student body chants her name in celebration, but in reality, Jamie is slacking in class and not paying attention. Dreamboat Marco is called on to read his poem, and it's about a secret he has. He likes a quiet girl that makes him smile, and when he stands up to walk to the front, everybody in class, boys, girls alike are just staring at him with moony eyes, including the teacher.
Speaker 2: I know, it was a little odd to me.
Speaker 1: It was weird. Even the teacher was like undressing this kid with her eyes. It was like, wow, I even rewound it, like did I see that right?
Speaker 2: Yes? The background actor in front of her two best friends is sitting there practically drew bro jill out a little bit. Come on, pull it together, guys.
Speaker 1: Is this your type? Did this guy do it for you? Ah? No?
Speaker 2: The hair that hair I can't I can't do.
Speaker 1: You're not You're not a moppy, floppy hair kind of guy.
Speaker 2: No, I know. I'm like a nice and clean cut Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bieber never did it for you?
Speaker 2: No, No, Plus Bieber was like eleven, Well, this.
Speaker 1: Kid's probably like fifteen. This Marco kid who the teacher is I all day long?
Speaker 2: So you know, come on, I know, yeah, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, it was that one threw me. But anyway, he gets up, he reads his poem and he ends with does she like me too? And Jamie absolutely loves it, but will have to fight her teacher to get this guy. As the bell rings, the teacher reminds him their essays for the writing competition are due Monday. After class, we meet Jamie's pal, an adorable little dork named Connor, once again played by Jason Dolly, and the second he comes on screen, I felt happy again. He's great and he's just so perfect for Disney and d coms. He is always the everyman and he plays it so well. But he is clearly jealous of Marco because he has a thing for the teacher. I'm kidding. He obviously has a thing or Jamie. But we are getting into that. But now we have to talk about the school cafeteria which you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 2: Yes, which I have never seen a school cafeteria look like.
Speaker 1: Is it a mall food court?
Speaker 2: I stopped it and rewound, going, wait, did we just are we out of school? And now we went to the mall? Like that's what it looks like it does with the neon signs and the lines, like there are lines in the cafeteria where you can go buy like a hot launch or whatever. But this was not looking like a school to me, and I don't remember it in minute Man.
Speaker 1: Well, they probably have to. They probably a dressing it up to look different, but why go with Westfield Mall food court?
Speaker 2: No, I know, I wish a panda express and a press and a hot dog on a step be the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree on hundred percent. It was. It was weird. There are numerous restaurants in it, and Neon signs that read international and home Cooking, so it Yeah, I don't know where they came up with this, but it's it's was a strange choice for a high school cafeteria, yes, Jamee, but so please write us your letters, by the way, if you in fact went to school to them all. And this is what Jamie sees her older brother Lenny, who was basically completely unnecessary in this entire film. I did not get why he was here. He did nothing.
Speaker 2: Even the button at the end.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, no sense, it was I don't know.
Speaker 2: Same. Plus he was a jerk. He was so mean to I.
Speaker 1: Was in moody and weird, and I get it.
Speaker 2: That's the way you know, they I've heard, you know, high school boys are at that age and they just want to be like trapped in their room by themselves and whatever. But she didn't seem like an annoying little sister to me, no, and it's like a really nice girl, and she was very It's not a dynamic normally.
Speaker 1: And I don't know this because I only have brothers and their own me, but I thought the dynamic is normally like if you and your brother are close in age, then it's like, hey, dude, don't talk to me in high school. But if you're a junior or a senior and your little sister comes into the school, right, I think it's normally like you're the brother steps up and I'm gonna watch out for my little sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, efective, that's the more. That's the more thing though, I mean, least I saw was the little sister being annoyed, like I can't talk to anyone without you coming in and making it known that you're on campus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chill out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's why I feel like the dynamic made no sense. The character made no sense entirely. But he of course quickly informs her not to talk to him at school. Jamie goes since with her two girl Bessie's and Connor, and we learned that Harmony and Jamie work at Jamie's dad's pizza shop, that is serving raw fish as a topping and again almost as disgusting as pineapple. Jamie catches a glimpse of Marco, who is being embraced by Meanie Sawyer and Mann. Does she long for that touch. We are now at the pizza shop. Jamie's dad says he has a pizza of the future for her sleepover later. It smells disgusting its liver and onion pie, and some customers literally run out. Jamie's mom's concerned they could go out of business soon. How did you feel about so? I got the disney of it, and I liked the idea that the dad, like is trying to come up with different ideas of what should be on top of the pizza. It gave me real Henry Winkler and holes vibes. I don't know if you've seen holes yet, but you know where He's always trying to to get rid of the smell in the shoes. So he's trying all these different things, which I get, good idea, but who thinks liver? And like the idea that the ones that actually picture you're so stupid.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's like nobody wants to eat that by itself. You know what? I mean, son, I know people do, but just all these crazy kids. Yeah, it wasn't kid friendly at all.
Speaker 1: Right, come up with funnier ideas. I thought, like, wait, did you put skittles on a pizza? Like it's candy and pizza? What kid isn't gonna love that?
Speaker 2: Totally totally like something great, you know, totally That's what I was thinking as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was weird to me. But here we noticed that Sawyer Marco and her click are there at the pizza shop, and once again Sawyer. She demeans Jamie as a server, leading us to yet another Isabella fantasy where she ends up throwing the drink on her, but in reality, Jamie meagerly returns to the kitchen. At the girl's sleepover, Jamie reveals her writing assignment is about how break time between classes can be more efficient. She's focused on something educational instead of creative, even though her friends thinks she's the best writer in class, and she admits that if she doesn't write, she'd quote have a nutty. Now we get notes from our producers sometime, okay, and I have a big note from producer Jensen that says, what does this mean? Did they try to start a word. It never comes back. And I would like to tell producer Jensen that my friends and I used to say pitch a nutty all the time. So it sounds so it's weirdly right now that I do that, but it's like, oh, man, did she pitch a nutty the other night?
Speaker 2: Like she just what does that mean? Nutty?
Speaker 1: Like no, again, this is we used to say pitch a nutty. My friends and I said it all the time.
Speaker 2: I have a nutty? But what is a nutty?
Speaker 1: Like you're going nuts? I'm throwing a nutty. Man, I'm going pitching a nutty right now.
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't think anything of it being sexual in that, but what you just said.
Speaker 1: You said it made it really sexual and I'm uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Seeing something now we're throwing things like.
Speaker 1: Man, that person was pitching a nutty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I had.
Speaker 1: Heard it before, but apparently I'm the only one. And it's just in my head.
Speaker 2: Same thing in my think, what is that? What's a nutty? That sounds right there with Jensen? Are they trying to like make fetch something? You know? That's what seems like fetch a thing?
Speaker 1: It's a nut don't don't pitch a nutty. We'll be fine. This is going to be our new thing. Hashtag pitchin nutty. This is when suddenly Jamie realizes that her printer has died and she'll need help with her essay. So she goes and asks Lenny to use his printer, but he's writing music. This is another of my favorite things. That he's literally sitting in his room. He's strumming two chords, and her friends are like, he sounds amazing, and it's like he's doing two chords.
Speaker 2: It's like, my god, when did you grow up next to a guitar?
Speaker 1: God, my god. Stevie ray Vaughn is next. It's like Steve wi next to you now he was, And they're like, he sounds incredible, but he's stead of writing music. So Jamie ends up emailing it to Lindsey and she will then print it out at her house, but they're now focusing on their favorite corny Teene soap opera where they had posters of it in their room. She accidentally, as she's concentrating on that, sends her journal to Lindsay instead of the boring essay. Uh oh, this is one mistake that will forever change the landscape of the high school Kingdom. Now to add to the food court that we saw before, it is now time for another ridiculous high school detail. A quad farmers market. Yeah, did you have these with no some stuff set up?
Speaker 2: No? No, I don't. I don't know what that was, honestly. I mean they're at a makeup booth, yes, yes, exactly what the hell is happening? I don't know, And I just is that whole little section was just kind of like not needed. No, nothing really happened except for her getting set up to get made fun of, Sawyer. It's really all that happened.
Speaker 1: And there's other ways to do that without having to set up an entire weird tented farmers market kind of thing outside the school. And again I could be wrong. I went to school on the East coast. No, you go to the school on the East coast and you have winters, you don't do a whole lot of stuff outside. There's no quads to walk to and all that kind of stuff. At least that we had that so we were in one big building because snow, So maybe that's different on the West coast than in Utah and stuff like that. But no, it seemed weird.
Speaker 2: The closest thing that I had was during international like where we learned about different cultures. We had a week like one of the days they would have booths set up with different types of foods that you could do, like each club would bring a certain thing. That's the closest of what this was, and that is still very far.
Speaker 1: It well, at this point they had the makeup booth, and then there was another thing about makeup and another thing about makeup, and I was just wondering if the author Julia was also a makeup saleswoman, which could have been possible.
Speaker 2: No, she wasn't. And actually I should have pause you because she's in the she's in the now. I can't remember if it was when we've already talked. She's in the pizza restaurant and she's with her daughter, Quinn Donald. Quinn is with her. Quinn and Julia are sitting at a table and they react to one of his gross pizzas okay, wick so quick, Hernette. Julia is a blonde, and it's just such a cute thing because Quinn was she's so cute. Went to school, like I think she went to NYU.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say yes. That was two thousand and six, so she's probably in her twenties or thirties.
Speaker 2: By now, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: We get a great exterior shot here of Salt Lakes, Murray High straight out a minute men, and the essay competition winner is about to be announced, and this is where Jamie realizes that she sent in the journal. She is mortified, but she won, and now her private journal is in the school newspaper. The teacher loves it so much, almost as much as she loves Marco, that she reads it to the whole class. The mean girls think it's weak sauce, but of course Marco is digging it, and the whole school is reading the story pretending to za people away. Jamie just wants to die. Connor tells her don't worry, it'll blow over, which are always very famous last de com words. Back at her house, we get what we call on Podmeats World an optical flip. Because Jamie has been offered a book deal. She has not sold on it, though she thinks it over looking at some of her old journals, and then Isabella Is appears and starts bullying her into publishing her This is where I seriously started to get very kind of this girl might have some serious issues talking to these invisible people vibes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I could.
Speaker 1: Have taken a dark turn really quickly. Yeah at this point.
Speaker 2: Well one two. I mean she it's not just done behind closed doors throughout the movie, She's doing it around a lot of people. I would think that would cause for concern just a little.
Speaker 1: Yes, from ordering on multiple personality disorders, this could be a dangerous thing. So yeah, they could have gone a different way.
Speaker 2: And multiple people notice it. People, no one help, a friend out, No one helps.
Speaker 1: Maybe we sit Jamie down and talk to her about how she's talking to invisible people. Just yeah, fucked. But Jamie cautiously agrees to do the book deal, even though her mean brother thinks it's a pipe dream. He popped in long enough to strum two chords and say, you're not going to make anything of your life. We fast forward to the book's release and everyone at school wants to sign. It's really stressing Jamie out. Everyone is zapping. We get some glimpses of the book. It's a real comic book vibe. It's not like she wrote a Cormack McCarthy novel. You know it's not or you know Braddy Stanelli's she didn't write less than Zero. It's like a graphic novel, which, yeah, is kind of a cool way of doing it, actually, yes, And I.
Speaker 2: Love the interstitials that they do of showing how she's on the computer. She flips it around at the notebook. It's very cool because I was like, I don't even remember in two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: I'm not a technology guy. I wouldn't I wouldn't know it anyway, but I think writing tablets, wouldn't know how to use it anyway. But now even the pizza shop is blowing up because they're advertising that Jamie works there, not because of the crappy, awful pizza. Marco is starting to flirt with her, and even the mean girls are acknowledging her existence. Everything is coming up Jamie, except she's nervous that they're all going to realize that they are characters in her book, and we see a small glimpse of her starting to be kind of mean to her friends, or, as they say in other parts of the world, a dick. We see the pizza place in full swing, with a very fake John Mayer song playing in the background. Then transitioning right into closing time the under the Sea school dance, which enchantment, under the sea dance, back to the future. There's like nineteen different kind of under the sea dances. It must be a regular trope, or maybe high schools do under the sea kind of dances.
Speaker 2: I think that's a common theme because it makes sense, it makes it gives you a lot to work with, you know, when it comes to decor, however, might what did you do the school dances I went to that were in our gym, so you know, homecomings in the gym, Sadi's those the ones that were in the gym were never the way they've transformed these gyms into being like right, they're so over the top.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you've got doing no good and and a budget, like sobody in high school's a budget.
Speaker 2: Is like that. But I just started making me thinking, I mean, we each paid seventy five dollars to get into that school gym.
Speaker 1: What were the money?
Speaker 2: There was no food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had we had it under the sea dance once and we actually had a real dead whale just hanging above us like this. We just got it, and we're like, oh, we forgot to keep it in water, and we didn't. By the way, we did not have a dead way. That would be awful. And I love Wales, so thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I'm a whale guy. I'm gonna say it, and I have no problem saying it. I'll fight anybody who's not. I'm a whale guy. So the Under the Sea School dance tickets go on sale on Friday, and Jamie and all our friends agree that they will go as a group, which is kind of cool. Jamie even joins the dance committee and forces her friends to join too. Let's keep that in mind, people. Yes, but I also love that he's Connor is starting to feel like, Okay, I know we're just going as a group, but this might be my shot with Jamie's He's got a cool relationship with his older brother who's like, dude, yeah, it's That was my favorite part of the movie. Anyway. I just wish to was the Connor the Connor.
Speaker 2: Movie maybe two, maybe maybe two one?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, this time is personal. Back at home, Jamie's got an elite celebrity handler from the publisher and they're slowly glaming her up for news interviews. Isabella seems happy about it, and right down the street as we're talking, Connor convinces his brother to drive them all to the dance in his truck. That way he can impress Jamie and an older brother giving a younger brother good advice throughout the entire movie, like, yeah, you know, he's still being an older brother. You're gonna do my clothes. You're gonna you're a clear bud. He's like, come on, man, you're you, You be the best you you can go get her, ask her out. I was like, yes, good older brother.
Speaker 2: Just sitting there spitting the knowledge.
Speaker 1: Right, You've got a good older brother. And then you've got the musical genius who strums two chords. Now, speaking of Jamie, by the way, she's getting ready for a trip to New York for the book, and we realize her me older brother Lenny, is actually good at playing those two chords on guitar. Jamie's friends think he should play at the dance, but he only plays in his bedroom. The next day, Jamie's off to the airport with her impatient handler and her mom and of course Invisible Isabella. Because you can't get away from your mental illness. In the Big Apple, Jamie is partaking in photoshoots, packed appearances and doing morning shows and seems very awkward nervous, But with Isabella encouraging from the sidelines, she's ready for the zaptastic spotlight. She attends a posh party with her mom and she sees Amber Tiffany, one of her favorite TV stars from that soap opera she was watching earlier in the movie. Also, Jamie's mom sees one of her favorite singers and has no shame, just rushing up to him and acting like a groupie. Now alone, Jamie sees a very cute dog because she has no idea who she's supposed to being with, so she sees the dog and she's petting it and she gets her hair stuck on the dog's owner, Amber Tiffany. This is a nightmare. They rush off to the green room and eventually get detangled. Isabelle convinces Jamie to strike up a conversation become friends with Amber Tiffany, and it doesn't go well. So, just like that, there is a new Murna in her life. You went to all these parties in Hollywood, thing, did you have any embarrassing moments like that? Did your hair ever get a talk attached to a dog or something.
Speaker 2: In like a Hollywood one.
Speaker 1: Anyone. What's the most embarrassing they inter haered to you at a party?
Speaker 2: Ah, man, I don't really think anything, honestly, probably tripping. I trip kind of a lot, so it's probably something like that that you've done it on a record. You tumble?
Speaker 1: How do you know much.
Speaker 2: I can dance in heels now you asked me to walk?
Speaker 1: Whoa? Whoa?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah, I just kind of like, I think I must shuffle my feet a little bit, so I do kind of like stud I can do it in tennis shoes too, on a smooth, normal spot like I just I don't know. And you know what's horrible is my poor daughter has inherited that from me. So clumsy too. We're always just but it's like we bumped back up, We're like, we're okay.
Speaker 1: We're good, We're good good. So you're not just a tumbler, You're also a stumbler. Bill.
Speaker 2: I've been waiting for this one, this.
Speaker 1: Moment, and you there you go. Jamie is now living in the scene and missing out on high school and dance prep, but she does get hot goss. Thank you for that, Jensen. But she does get the hot goss. I guess I'm saying that right. Sawyer and Marco broke up. We are now back at home. Jamie is having some trouble going back to her normal high school life after being pampered on TV. She's very popular all of a sudden, but she's promised her friends she will still attend their animal rights rally that they have, and then she's like, I know, I'll be there. I'll be there for all your stuff. But we can definitely see Jamie's starting to pull away for all this Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Probably one of the moments where you're going, she's not gonna make it, She's gonna forget.
Speaker 1: Of course, I was like, well, I'm guessing he's gonna make it on time and really be there for her friends. Like I knew every step of this movie. I knew every I know. Marco bumps into Jamie and the shopping mall food court and the entire student body goes silent. Then in a laugh out loud moment, they all oohoo when they smile at each other. Jamie is also invited to the popular table because Jennifer number two is sick, so her friends released her to go talk about New York. But things are just getting really weird, especially now that Marco could ask Jamie to the dance, which would ruin the friends group plan that would kill Connor's dream. And then to add some fuel to fire, Jamie has also quit the pizza shop without even telling her friends. She just bailed on her dad. I mean, obviously she told her dad and her mom, but didn't tell her friends that she doesn't work there anymore. And she's dropping the dance committee because she has to answer fan mail. She was even invited to the mall by cool girl Sawyer. Her fame is out of control. I'm thinking this is her new life and she's never gonna realize that she's the wrong person and go back to who she was. Oh wait, Marco stops by the restaurant to see Jamie, thinking she still works there, of course because she didn't tell anybody that she doesn't, and he wants to know who she's going to dance with. So Connor takes the message. Ooh. He knows his time is up, so his brother, again in great brotherly advice, convinces him to ask Jamie before Marco does take your shot, man, he calls him squirt, take your shot, squirt. But even with his most spirited attempt, which was very funny, like running right past them and then falling, and then Jamie putting her leg on him because he's trying to keep saying something. When Marco's going to ask her out, Marco gets to her first, and Connor is sol or get out of luck. And even worse, Jamie missed the animal rights protest. She did, She missed it. Sabrina were right. She forgot that bunnies are going to die. Now it's Jamie's fault. Isabella is now officially running the show on Rise and Shine, which is another morning show. Appearing Jamie admits that Isabella is actually an alter ego of herself, and all the characters are based on real people, even slipping at one point and calling the villain Sawyer instead of mRNA and going oh wait, uh oh. And there's a giant meltdown on the television machine. Yes, man, very bad national crash and burn.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So Jamie, in one of the weirder moments, returns to school in full disguise to avoid embarrassment. How was she still going to go to all the same classes and sit in the same chairs, but just have a dark wig and think no one was going to know who she was.
Speaker 2: I guess so, I guess you're.
Speaker 1: Not thinking about it at that age. You're just trying to blend in, right.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I feel like I can't believe she went to school at all. How did she not convince her mom that she was deathly ill and needed to stay home for she.
Speaker 1: Could hire points exactly?
Speaker 2: Just so something else happens in high school.
Speaker 1: Yes, live the is lifestyle and uh and go there, but anyway, she's in full disguise. But once her wig is knocked off, she's caught by the mean girls. Sawyer is furious that she's mRNA and promises that Jamie is going back to Loserville ghost. Isabella tells her that the best thing she can do at this point is run, because this is not good. At home, her parents are planning a book signing at the pizza parlor, but Jamie knows it's just the beginning of the end. Isabella thinks, this is just the beginning of the beginning quote unquote, they're going to the dance with Marco quote unquote vague because now Isabelle, we don't know where Isabella starts and Jamie ends. It's getting even weirder, but Jamie is starting to want to distance herself from this alter ego persona. She says she'll never write about it again, but the pressure of keeping the pizza shop alive is too much and she feels like a puppet now. So while the parents don't put the pressure on her in any way, shape or form, the pizza shop success is certainly happening because Jamie is part of the Pizza Shop. You know everything, Yeah, but now we're Jamie's transforming into a full B word. Even tells her big brother that her music sucks and he should give it up, and at school she's become a pariah. No one is happy as the target of her book's ridicule, except Marco, who's still feeling it and eating lunch with her. He loves being the cool guy in the book to a creepy, creepy point. Unfortunately, no one came to the Pizza Place book signing, and Jamie's aol friend's list has dwindled down to just Connor. Even is a bella won't help. Jamie tries to apologize to her brother about the music comment, because he comes home she comes home and he's broken his guitar and put it in the trash can, and so she comes home try to apologize, but he's listening to pop music really loudly in his room. She knows she needs to make a change. She starts to write a news story but immediately stops. It was called three Cheers for Jamie Bartlett. Keep that in mind, was it? This is where I got confused. So okay, so unrelated. Harmony and Lindsay decided to use protest flyers and real kelp in their school dance whale paper mache giant like full eyes wail that they're going to fill it with stuff, which I think we can all assume is going to come back, you know, later later at school, all of a sudden there's a positive letter to the editor about her, and it's entitled three Cheers for Jamie Bartlett. But it's not her letter, so that doesn't make any sense. So we were round this how okay, I did too. I think what it was the second time I saw it, because you just saw the computer screen. I think they were trying to allude to the fact that that was his computer, right, So he had already started writing that she that wasn't the title of her article, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: No, No, so that exactly. So he was already writing that thing. But the way between their two computers, when I saw it, I go, why is she so at first? Why is she so shocked that someone wrote it? She wrote that right, and that was kind of a demeaning situation, like she wasn't taking accountability for anything that she was saying. I was kind of like, that's weird and go, oh, okay wait, and I rewound.
Speaker 1: It right, Okay, so it was his computer screen.
Speaker 2: It is is, but the way it goes back and forth, however it's done, it absolutely looks like it's her computer screen that she's starting like a new like she's gonna do like an apology story, apology thing into the newsletter or something like that.
Speaker 1: It was badly edited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just didn't the edits didn't make sense. I mean, I just kind of had to rewind it and then go, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe it's a deleted scene like they paid something in there. That was but it was weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, definitely I thought the same thing though.
Speaker 1: Yes it was it was.
Speaker 2: And then realized it was his letter that was on his computer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, okay, so then we're gonna okay, Yeah it was. It was jarring. I gotta move on. Yeah. Anyway, She thinks that Marco wrote it because she recognizes writing from the class poem he wrote earlier, but it seems like Honor actually wrote the letter. She continues to friend zone this poor dude, while Marco is just starstruck by Isabella. He's always calling Jamie is which is Jamie. Then walks in on her parents talking about selling the pizza shop now that Jamie's frenzy has died down, which also made me think, like, really, this guy had one or two good months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, because I don't remember was there this even the second time. I don't remember them talking about the pizza parlor doing bad.
Speaker 1: It was always just packed.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, just that it was. It really shot up with me. But all of a sudden, out of nowhere, they're saying, oh, we're not gonna be able to cover last year's debt. Where did last year's debt come from?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But when we first met you and you're making your liver and onion pizza, it was a full table was full.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so I just kind of was like, no, you're right. I think I just missed things. I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't miss that. You didn't miss that. It's exactly the same. This made me laugh. So this made me laugh out loud. We always get the getting ready for a dance montage something it's in a decom and for the first time it was a wah wah.
Speaker 2: It was a very sad montage her mom, I know, her friends kids getting ready for what she's a freshman like homecoming, your kids getting ready for the first dance, and you're just what, Yeah, it was kind of sad.
Speaker 1: I agree, shad montage and getting ready for their dance, but also looking at pictures of her real friends and all that stuff. And Isabella does not get why Jamie is pouting. She's got everything she wants. And I liked how they threw this in a big bank account. She says, you got plenty of money in your trust fund, so she's made a ton of money from the book. I like how they alluded to that because it's like, even all the money in the world and the fame in the world doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: There was also a lie won't keep your pizza shop open?
Speaker 1: Yes? And then is there was the line you don't want friends, you want fans. Was that yes? Yeah, and so it was. It was was, frankly a good line. There's a couple of good lines in here. I also love when she's talking to Connor again and she's and he says, I don't hate you, I hate what you've become, which.
Speaker 2: I yes, that was another good line.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you're when your parents are just I'm just.
Speaker 2: Disappointed in you, disappointed.
Speaker 1: I'm just disappointing. So after we get the nice little sad montage of all this, she picks up her laptop because she is done with Isabella. She unplugs it and figures that then traps Isabella. Not understanding how mental illness works, she will deal with it later, leaving it on the bed again. She just doesn't get it. At the dance, Marco being weird old Marco won't stop calling Jamie is and zapping everything. It's really odd, but he does seem to like her, even though he seems to like the like is more than he likes her.
Speaker 2: He goes in and out, he's wishing, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's weird, it's cool, until he admits he did not write that poem for class he paid Connor to write it. Whoa Isabelle tries to get Jamie to just shut up and dance with him, causing her to argue with herself in public and look like she's pitching a nutty yep hashtag pitching a nutty and don't forget everybody in case we've we've forgotten. At this point, that giant whale above them is full of kelp. Now just as ridiculous. The live band says they're going to take a break, but none of their mouths move and even worse, I'm wondering why the whole time they're cutting the band. At first, the entire band has their back to the audience and as all, they're just facing their drummer, the whole band the whole time, playing to each other, not to the crowd.
Speaker 2: Jam session.
Speaker 1: It's because they knew the camera was behind them, so they're like, let's just all face the camera. No, dude, face the crowd that you're there for. Jamie realizes it's Connor that sees the real her, and she hopes he'll forgive her, so she formulates a plan. The principle calls Jamie on stage to thank her for all the creativity and commitment, which she didn't do anything. It was all her friends, the entire student body, minus superfan Marco Booze. Isabella appears to encourage her to win them back by announcing a book sequel. She does, and of course it's not winning anybody back. Bad advice from your fake friend. Isabella then realizes that the paper mache whale situation is gonna happen and tells Jamie to rat out her friends to shift the focus and save the dance. That way, she'll be a hero again. She has some weird ideas, Isabella, on how to be cool, because everybody knows that snitches get stitches. Just as the girls are about to unleash their kelp, Jamie yells for them to stop. The entire school looks up at them, but instead of squealing, she apologizes in another big Disney trope, being in front of the school, not even a Disney trope, a high school movie trope, that you make the big apology in front of everybody. We've seen it a thousand times.
Speaker 2: So and even though it was a stretch, she got pulled up on stage, given roses to do what she signed up to do, and didn't do and didn't do, but just in general, the person that did sign up to do it would that just wouldn't happen. It did put her on the stage and set the platform for.
Speaker 1: Her to do that. Here's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: But it was just without being a homecoming queen. Right, This is the way to do it without doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly. We need her to be homecoming queen without it being homecoming or her being the queen. That's exactly right. So Jamie apologizes. She apologizes to the entire school. Isabella can't believe this is happening. Jamie even mentions her brother and says that he's very talented. Okay, that came out of nowhere. She puts the spotlight on Harmony and Lindsay, which makes more sense. They made the dance spectacular, not her, And as a final sorry, she walks over to the whale. Isabella warns her not to, but Jamie says she should have done this a long time ago. She yells save the whales and drops the flyers and kelp on everybody. The whale even comes crashing down, remember that. Jamie then runs out to find Connor and him just as he's getting into his brother's cool truck. She says she didn't like Marco, even though she did she liked his poetry. She liked Marco just as much as the teacher did, and that it was actually Connor she liked the whole time because she liked his poetry. And then they kiss. I know, I boy, Jason gets a little.
Speaker 2: Good for him, Good for Jason, but shocked. I feel like that was really fast.
Speaker 1: I'm not earned at all.
Speaker 2: She yeah, she had not even. I mean, he was such a good friend. I'll say that. But the kiss was like whoa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was quick. That was quick to lean in there.
Speaker 2: Pretty quickly there, Jamie, yeah it, oh Jamie.
Speaker 1: Back up. We are now back at the dance. The students loved the whale protest for some reason. By the way, here was the first thing. So the brother's getting hit on this entire movie. Not a good guy, but still getting hit on the entire movie. Yeah, stuck in his room being kind of a jerk by She then tells him his music's awful. She feels bad about it. She calls him out during her speech, like, hey, brother, you're so talented. This is great. Why is he the first guy they show getting covered in all the kelp like he deserved it. They cut to the brother. I was like, what why this guy again? What's the way this guy do?
Speaker 2: Did the kelp thing too?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: It kept coming out.
Speaker 1: Like when it swung. They tried to do it.
Speaker 2: Kelp fit out and sings spit it out.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It was just kind of the whole kelp thing was just like.
Speaker 1: A yeah, but then why pick on the brother?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why did he get kelped? After? Yes?
Speaker 1: You gotta kelp that guy. So the students loved the whale protest and then her brother takes the stage to perform, and miraculously, the entire whale is hanging back up over the dance again.
Speaker 2: They gotta handle that.
Speaker 1: And they also rebuilt it rope. They must have put it back up. It's not broken anymore. It's just back up. The band obviously knows every note and word to the song that the brother wrote. Somehow they have the harmonies down. Not only that, but there's people you go back and watch it again. The people dancing also second Award for Disney. Uh is worst dancing in a dcom?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 1: Is this movie? It's the word I dance better than these people and not saying something horrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the awful background was a little rough. There's a kind of a few times.
Speaker 1: Wasn't just the background? The lead actors too, weren't dancing well? Well.
Speaker 2: I thought Jason was so cute.
Speaker 1: Jason was amazing Jason, but everybody else everybody else's.
Speaker 2: Back exactly like how he Connor would dance it, add it down, he did his, He did his.
Speaker 1: I will never say anything bad about Jason Donard. So if his dancing was perfect, it was everybody else's. But if you go back and watch, the people dancing to the song are mouthing along with the words to the song. So obviously the actors had been there all day and they played the song over and over again. But how did anybody know the words to the song? This guy wrote? The band knows the harmonies? Anyway, an entire school dances long and I'm trying to get better at this, but this one.
Speaker 2: I know, this one was rough. I knew this one was gonna be Really, you are not going to just let this happen?
Speaker 1: No, No, I was not. We are back at the pizza shop now. Jamie's dad turns off the neon sign and hugs his wife. This is the end of it. The pizza parlor's gotta go. But just then Jamie and Connor come running in. She brought the entire dance to get food and save the business. I guess because one night of the first of all, they're never gonna be able to serve this many people with one person working there. Her dad sees the crowd and he says the following, I gotta get cooking. I gotta get cooking. Can we hear that one more time? I gotta get cooking. He's now got eleven hundred kid from the school. The ovens are off. I'm guessing the ingredients are done for the day.
Speaker 2: They're all done.
Speaker 1: The chairs are on top of the table. But no, it's time to make some pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Connor runs into help in the kitchen, accidentally getting some of the whale seaweed.
Speaker 2: Wait, No, it wasn't was it Connor?
Speaker 1: Wasn't connor brother?
Speaker 2: Yeah, her brother came into the kitchen, had his apron on already under his city ticket. Yes, yeah, had his apron on already under his suit jacket. Just takes the suit jacket off.
Speaker 1: That's what flies, Okay, So he flings the whale seaweed, Yes, onto the pizza. He accidentally served it because it lands perfectly on the pizza.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Everyone thinks it's delicious. I guess they think it's spinach pizza and start chanting for it. Her dad figures the real recipe out quickly and tells Connor to get the sushi from the cooler, which is an insane thing to say to pizza place. I guess it's from because he tried to make the raw fish. Yeah, sushi, but that was like days ago now, if not weeks ago. So why does he have this much seaweed and sushi and the cooler? We'll never know, But with this in my maybe it's his his door to door sushi sales that's keeping the place open. But with this in mind, everyone lives happily ever after, except a course for Isabella, who's stuck cleaning the dishes. And that is your movie. Who let's do real reviews. Sabrina, You've got the one, Starr, I've got the what.
Speaker 3: Do you got?
Speaker 2: This is from Donovan. I hate that I have to share a television with my little sister for both of our health.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting review.
Speaker 2: Yes, this was before like probably iPads were like a huge thing where now you have to share your share.
Speaker 1: Share your screen time. I've got the five star. It is from our friend Nu Namad. It's actually unnamed, but that from now on will be a nomind And I'm this is exactly how it's written, so I'm gonna say it exactly this. Wow, this girl has some imagination, all in caps, five star review. And now, ladies and gentle people, we are down to our feature presentation, the thing that Sabrina loves our games. Every week we've been getting Okay, we've been good. We have. The last couple of weeks we have not been bad, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I don't know before we record, wondering what is Jensen gonna do to me to work?
Speaker 1: So here we go. This one is called in just four words, and this is a new feature, one that will return for sure. We will be given four words. These four words describe one of the most popular young adult books or series of books of all time. We have to guess what the words are describing, and we need to get three out of five, right, I read everything, so I read why. I'm hoping I can kill this. I have not looked yet. I do not know, but here we go. We gotta get them all, So here we go. Number one middle school Misadventures hilarity, hilarity. Mm hmmm, I think I know what it is. You got a guess? No, okay, I'm gonna say. Is it Diary of a wimpy kid?
Speaker 3: It is diary. I mean, I think we'll gonna clean this up. I mean I would even maybe just turn the screen officers.
Speaker 2: See you later. I'll check back in in three minutes. I'm gonna across some water. I'm just gonna enjoy my water while we go.
Speaker 1: Number two Magic Friendship epic Battles. This could be anything. I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Come on, I think we're gonna go with Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: That's what I would say too.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's Harry Potter one and one. I'm your weight, all right.
Speaker 1: Number three Rebellion Survival brutal dystopia.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's two possible answers to.
Speaker 2: This one, all right, you say the possibility.
Speaker 1: So it's either my guess is knowing Producer Jensen. This is the Hunger Games. Oh, but it could also be the Maze Trials. Oh, so they actually both work here. But I'm gonna think he's gonna go with the more popular one, so I'm gonna say he picked Hunger Games.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is Hunger Games. And I will say I kept off Maye Runner because it's too much like exactly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it could have been either one.
Speaker 3: But okay, you guys are in the clear. They all right.
Speaker 1: Number four Love Can't or Heartbreak and Hope.
Speaker 2: I don't know the name of it, but if there was a movie made after this book, then I think I.
Speaker 1: Think there was. And my guess is, isn't it called I can't believe I even know this. I've never read it, But isn't it called like five feet apart or six feet apart? Something like that? They have to stand a certain distance apart. So I'm gonna say, yeah, six feet apart.
Speaker 3: This is called Fault in Our Stars.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's the Fault in Our Stars. Okay, made by the same guy who does it's.
Speaker 3: The same book. I think even it's the same book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do have to stay a certain distance away.
Speaker 1: Well didn't they. Well they made a movie Fault in Our Stars and producer Lisa saying, you're thinking of five feet apart, which is different than fault in Our Stars, isn't it. Oh okay, it's a different movie, but I think they're the Yeah, different, but I think they're the same author.
Speaker 3: This is May's Runner and Hunger Games all over again.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that's my favorite part of Hunger Games was the cancer?
Speaker 2: And did they make a movie of five feet apart?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They did? Okay with uh, what's her name? And the dude, okay, what's it's It's no, I don't yes, the Sprouse and Haley Richardson.
Speaker 2: There you go, okay, yeah, no, the okay, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then finally number five Vampires, Romance, Danger, Immortality. Come on, I know.
Speaker 2: You will get Vampire Diary. Think this is it's not Vampire dis Twilight.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go.
Speaker 3: I was like, will you better? I'll be.
Speaker 1: I didn't say anything. I didn't say anything.
Speaker 2: I got it. I got it.
Speaker 1: I again, everyone knows. When it came to Twilight, I was team please stop making these Yes, well, thank you very much. That was fine. I went five essentially, five for five. I'm I'm not going to give myself fault in Their Stars because I didn't know that one. But I got four out of five. I'm pretty happy, which is good. Can we do some Sabrina seas?
Speaker 2: Yes we can. Okay, there's a couple of these here. Did you notice what the name of the high school was? No Monroe High School?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: Newspaper was like the Monro Everything had Monroe on it, So I did think that was super cute. I talked about Julia and her daughter Quinn's cameo. Sawyer had a lot of this is after the cheatahirls. She had a lot of cheata girls stuff in here. Did she wore a white and in in and out of being Sawyer or was it Myrna out She had the white like a white hat that I wore in the Cinderella. She wore a pink velore outfit, and then she had a full blown cheet of vesta. Every time she popped up, I'm like she like pulled our wardrobe from the movie.
Speaker 1: Did she look like dough or did she look like a combination of all of them?
Speaker 2: Kind of a combination of everyone. But it was pretty funny that she just kept coming up with these things. And there was the same kind of dog in the movie, that dog that she came into. It was a lot of cheat at the guy. I'm like, am I being too crazy right now. He was later. Yeah, the third one, he was way later. But yes, there was a couple of those funny things. And then you mentioned it before. But the song that Drew Seely has in the movie is during the time when we actually kind of around that time, she's at that industry party where she meets her people that she's fans of. That song was actually on my I don't even know if you know that I've done A was one of my songs. So it starts playing and I go, why do I know this song? I'm like, that's definitely Drew Seely, So maybe that's why I recognized his voice. Why do I know that song? Wait? Why do I feel like I know choreography.
Speaker 1: To that music?
Speaker 2: So I looked up the soundtrack, find the name. Look, I'm like, was it on be you? Looked up b you it's one of the songs we do an actual workout too. So that was really cool for me because I just thought that was cool. I loved you. Yeah, and again just going he has been in so many of these movies, whether it's just in the soundtrack or you know, bigger part of the movies we've done. And then my last question was, what does this older brother, who, by the way, looked more like just a young dad Connor's brother.
Speaker 1: Oh Connor, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I did a movie with that guy. He's really cool. I did a movie.
Speaker 2: He was great, and I loved his character. But he looked a lot. There was a giant age guy.
Speaker 1: There was an eight Yeah, I figured he was probably they they made him like the father figure to him. So my guess was they were supposed to be freshman, so the kids like thirteen fourteen, he was like.
Speaker 2: A senior in college, because yeah, I would have had home.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean my brother, so my oldest brother is eight years older than me, so it would have kind of been like that, Like when I was a freshman in high school, my brother was already out of college or ye or was a senior in college.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was just kind of funny. He just every time he popped in, he just looked a lot older than he was. By the way, what he was awesome too, And like I said, we loved his character. But what does he do to involve Connor having to use goggles and pliers to handle his laundry?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: Why was his laundry?
Speaker 1: I think it's just supposed to be like, oh, it's so gross that I have to Yeah, it's and.
Speaker 2: He hated doing it, but it was just kind of funny because it popped up a.
Speaker 1: Lot good visual in my underwear forever. You gotta go ask her out. Yeah, yeah, so that was it.
Speaker 2: We've got lots of stuff, cheetah, cameos, songs, songs. It was just like fireworks all over me.
Speaker 1: The whole time was the whale being down and the whale being up on one of your Sabrina seas. Yeah, that to me was like come on, we got the wheels, Like.
Speaker 2: If it was up, I would have liked to see it, like.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, like the whale it like broken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like broactly said, it was just perfectly.
Speaker 1: Placed in all good well because what happened was they obviously shot that scene before they had to trash everything, because then once they trashed everything, they didn't want to have to clean it all up to shoot that scene again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There was another one where the there's they go up to the table in the cafeteria, Her and Mark go up to the table, and the capture it is supposed to be like disgusting and you can tell like just the there's just like a couple of it really wasn't anything.
Speaker 1: Nuts like, that's it? Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: A napkin, A clean napkin, A clean napkin.
Speaker 1: That's it. Well, thank you once again for those. And now we've come to the portion of our program where we have to rate the movie we just saw. And we've got some options this week. Should we do one out of ten and as I've said before, one being bad, ten being good, or you know the way that we normally do it, is it one out of ten, terrible pizza combos, one out of ten, shopping mall, food court cafeterias, one out of ten it says nutties, But I'm gonna make it one out of ten pitcha nutties nutties, which now now sound pitching nutties now sounds like a like a candy bar. One out of ten, seaweed filled whales, one out of ten letters to the editor, one out of ten cheers for Jamie Bartlett, or one out of ten high school farmers' markets. You picked this week, Sabrina, what would you like?
Speaker 2: I think it was so educational to learn what this term means. So I'm gonna go that a ten pitch nutty.
Speaker 1: Yes, well out of ten pitch of nutties. I love it, Yes, yes, yes, I think I went first last time, didn't we? I don't know how we? How we?
Speaker 2: I don't, I gosh, I don't. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: They're now getting jumbled a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, are getting jumbled. I need to go back to because I'd like to see my scoring system and make sure I'm like, now that we've done a chunk, yeah sure, I'm like, I'm going and being consistent.
Speaker 1: If we're gonna have to do one whole episode where we give out awards and we list all the movies we've done and where they're ranked, I think we're gonna have to. It's like a recap of everything we're doing, followed quickly by a rewatch of your exercise video. Because if you think that's not gonna happen, I got some news for you. You might pitch a nutty, but it's happening.
Speaker 2: Take your your double runs out of your exercise routine and start doing BU that.
Speaker 1: I love that because after my BU i'd have BO. Thank you very much. Okay, So Sabrina, what do you got? How many pitch nutties are given this movie?
Speaker 2: Okay, So again I think our rating is going to be different because now that I'm really thinking about it and what hearing your your situation, like things that you brought up. It is more of a girl directed, you know movie a bad thing. It's not at all so exactly. I was able to connect. I remember being in high school, junior high, high school, and this was like a really real thing. And I also, as I was watching it was kind of letting myself remember too, this is not a big musical movie. This is not about a sports thing. This is you know, it's not you know, it doesn't have like a really crazy niche except for girl girl issues that they go through. Sure, and so I did connect with it. There weren't We've had a couple movies with a ton of holes. There wasn't. There was just a few blips here and there. Yeah, I know the story was the story was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I formulaic but full right, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, So I gave it a seven point five. I thought it was It was nice. I think again, for someone when it's Monroe's time for her to learn these kinds of movies, I would love for this to be a first of hers of these kind of lessons to learn and how to handle yourself. And you know, you know how much your friends mean to you, the ones that treat you well versus people that are not nice to you but maybe cool on in campus and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So that makes sense.
Speaker 2: OKAYO point five pitching and nutties.
Speaker 1: Pitching and nutties. I did not give it a seven point five. I did not going to decimate the movie. It was harder for me to connect with, like we said, which which makes sense. It was very formulaic. I knew exactly from the second she came on screen. I knew exactly what was going to happen to the character all the way around. Again, that's not always a bad thing. But I'm going to give this because of and I'm knighting him right now, so because of Sir Jason Dally, I'm going to give this a five point five. Pitching nutties. Okay, again, it was this was not bad movie. It was this. This was a movie. Like I finished and I went like, Okay, I watched the movie. I didn't hate it by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't love it. Yeah, I thought, again, the Pana Baker's that's great casting to have her older sister play like a heightened version of herself. Really clever way of doing it. So yeah, it's a It's a five point five pitch nutties for me. And that's that of course, Folks. Is our film for the week. That is, read it and weep our next movie, Our next movie. I'm just gonna say it like this and see if you can guess it. Our next movie keeps us on track. Yes, it is the Extreme two thousand and one dirt bike movie Motocross. I've heard so much about this movie. Here's one I've actually heard of. I know this movie. I've never seen it, but I've heard of this movie. So I am excited to see where we go from here. Remember everybody to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Thank you once again for joining us. We will see you next time on the racetrack. Bye everybody, Bye,