Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Who's really happy is the market because the market's gone up thousands of points over the last four or five days since hearing about it. And the Strait is going to be opening, It's already partially opened, it's going to be opening up.
Speaker 3: I'm Stephanie Flanders, head of Government and Economics at Bloomberg, and this is Trumpnonomics, the podcast that looks at the economic world of Donald Trump, how he's shaking up the global economy and what on earth is going to happen next.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: We're recording this in London on Wednesday, the seventeenth of June. We don't know, may never know the exact detail of the agreement between the US and Iran that we expect famous last words to be signed in Switzerland this coming Friday. But President Trump tells us the horn Mo is going to be opening up, and for now investors and those closest to the oil industry seem to believe in But what does that mean from a practical standpoint, and why there seem to be such wildly differing views inside and outside the market on how long it will take for the oil market to in some sense get back to normal. I mean, depending on who you talk to, it's either going to take months to demine the straight offol moods, fix all those damage refineries, or the whole thing could seem like a bad dream in a matter of weeks. I want to get to the bottom of that today, but I also want to step back to ask how this entire conflict since the end of February has changed the course of the global economy compared with what we might have been expecting on February twenty seventh. And if we get time, I'd also like to ask whether the global oil market has also been changed for good. I noticed the UAE said today it was working on completely eliminating its reliance on the straight offoil moods over the next few years. Well, Javier blast is absolutely the man to ask about all of that, and I'm glad to say he's on the line.
Speaker 1: Have you. Thank you so much, my pleasure, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Should remind people you're the Bloomberg Opinion, the Bloomberg Opinion columnists covering energy and commodities after years and years covering those markets as a reporter, and you're also the co author of the world for sale, money power and the traders who.
Speaker 1: Barter the Earth's resources.
Speaker 3: But on the broader economic piece of the story, I'm glad to say we also have in the studio here in London, Jamie Rush, director of Global Economics at Bloomberg and co author of the Price of Money. He's worked before at the British Treasury, the New Zealand Treasury and the UK Office for Budget Responsibility. Jamie, thanks for joining pleasure. Normally you're far too busy on all of our forecart and our modeling and our crack views on everything, so I'm glad I'm been able to get you into the studio. Have tell us what you understand by the opening of the Ormond straight and what would that mean and relative short term for oil prices and the oil market generally oil supplies.
Speaker 4: Let's call the reopening of the Street of Hormones the day that we see from the Persian Gulf region, so that is Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Iraq, Kubait and Iran plaskatter more or less the same amount of oil that we were seeing on February the twenty seven. And the reason that they are so diverge in abuse is that never anything similar to what we are about to witness has been ever done. The oil industry needs to restart about Ghibet or take ten thousand oil wells. We don't know whether those wells are going to come back into life with oil flowing. They're gonna be dry, They're gonna have problems. We don't know if the pipelines are in good shape. What happens when you restart the machinery. What comes out of an oil well is not all oil. Is a bit of oil, a bit of water, a bit of gas, and a bit of sand that needs to be separated. The industrial plants that do that separation have been shut down for one hundred days. We don't know what happened when you re start then you know from the coal I sit on the optimis side, having to spend some time in recent weeks talking to people who do a lot of maintenance in these oil fields in the Middle East. My kind of expectation is that fifty percent of the production capacity comes back into what I call days, somewhere between five and ten days. We get a significant chunk of production capacity coming back and heating myself, But say somewhere between three and six weeks you get to seventy five percent. Getting back the one hundred percent, that's a bit more difficult. The final bit is going to take more time. I think that it takes perhaps months. Can it be that returning to one hundred percent takes more than a year? Yeah, that's possible. But in some ways, and excuse me to put it this way, I care very little about the last two percentage points of oil supplies coming back because two reasons. One, oil demand is weaker than we were in February the twenty seven, so the market balance at a lower production level. And also, because the rest of the world has moved on. You have American oil production scenes increasing significantly to an all time I may. You have Brazilian production app nearly twenty percent year on year. So we do not need to go back exactly to where we were on February the twenty seven for the oil market to revalance. So I think that on that debate of how long it takes, I am on the days and weeks rather than on the months and years.
Speaker 3: Okay, And it's interesting there's various things embedded in that, and then that sort of relatively optimism, which I notice relative to those who have sort of suggested it was all going to take a much longer. So there's a question mark about what happens when you reopen the production facilities. But they actual damage to those facilities, you know, the talk of you know, years and years of repairs. You don't think that's going to be a significant issue.
Speaker 4: No, the oil industry in the Middle East has suffered relatively little damage in the oil side from the war. What is on production facilities. There has been damage or what we call the downstream side of the industry. That's more the refining side where son refineries are going to need significant repairs, and that's going to be measured more into probably the end of the year or the beginning of twenty twenty seven. But what is the production facilities, or what we typically call in the oil industry the upstream side, so that's the oil wells, the processing centers, the pipelines, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: There has been relatively very little damage.
Speaker 4: Most of the damage that was sustained, particularly in Saudi Arabia and Kubay, has been repaired. And this is also a very important question. I was asking a few weeks ago to someone who does a lot of work in the oil fields of the Middle East, and I said, what you guys have been doing and they said, well, we have been working the oil fields, burying a few missiles here and there.
Speaker 1: But the oil.
Speaker 4: Fields were not a battleground. They were not a war vote over the oil field. This is very different to Kube nineteen nineteen, nineteen ninety one, or Olivia during the civil war in twenty eleven, where I was in the oil fields and the different factions were fighting for the controls of those oil fields. They were bombing the oil fields and the facilities were damaged in some occasions. This is a war that has not really affected the oil fields, and maintenance have been taking place, and engineers have been doing preventive war, so when the day comes that they can't re esta the world, they can't do it.
Speaker 3: I did notice our chief merging market economists actually pointed out that in some ways, if you're thinking about what's the key constraint on oil while the strait still closed, is it the sort of damage to the facilities, or is it the strait itself. And he pointed out there's kind of been a natural experiment that the attacks have hit facilities on both sides of the Strait, but the non hill move sites have kept operating while the homo's activity felt so the difference was clearly not about the attacks damaging the facilities, it was where their energy could actually get out. Before I get onto Jamie on the broader economics, I just want to sort of tick off a couple more things with you have yet the other things that people talk about, which again embedded in your first answer, seemed to be not compelling constraints, the demining of the Strait again talk of that taking months and months, and also that it's not an issue for the sort of stability of the market and the pricing to have all of those reserves having been run down over the last few months. There's no expectation that all of these reserves have to be back up before you before prices start to come down.
Speaker 4: Now, I think that we will need to rebuild some of those inventories. Certainly, if we look at demand for oil in twenty twenty seven, we need to assume that it's not the oil barrels that we are going to consume or burn, but it's also the oil barrels that we are going to put aside and put back into a staategic reserves. So the demand may be a bit a bit higher than we think. One constraint is going to be the amount of vessels that they are available. We need to reposition all the oil tankers back into the Middle East, and some one of those tankers are now at the wrong location because they are picking up crude oil, say in the Gulf of Mexico for Japan, rather than picking up crude oil in the Middle East the Persian Golf.
Speaker 1: So you have to recall some of those basons.
Speaker 4: And we are starting to see diversions on some vessels that they were close to turn around Africa into going into the Atlantic. They are performing your turns and they're going back to the Indian Olsa and heading back into the Middle East. So we are beginning to kind of reposition all the vessels. That takes a bit of time. These vessels they move at not that the speed of a high speed train or a car.
Speaker 1: I mean, they make about twenty.
Speaker 4: Five kilometers per hour or take if we put it in card terms, So it takes time to move them around. But there are about sixty seventy tank has already waiting in the Gulf of Man, ready to go the moment that the strade opens. I think that the mining is a question. There are areas of the stradio hormones that they are clear of minds, close to the Omani coust, close to the Iranian cost, so that is a vailable and I think that what we need is a proof of concept the oil shipping industry. There are a number of ship owners who have a reputation for being I think that the sympathetic term is more adventurous at the non sympathetic term is more buccaneering. But they will be the first ones to cross the stradio hormones. They will be the proof of concept that actually you can do it. And when they do it, we will start with a trickle, but the flood will follow very quickly.
Speaker 3: So, Jamie, where is it that Bloomberg Economics thinks oil prices or what are our kind of best guesses of how quickly the oil market can adjust and what that means for prices, Because obviously it doesn't seem like we're going to get back to where we were before the conflict anytime soon, but it's still going to fall.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I suppose we're using similar rules of thumb to others. If you go into this into the Iran conflict, what happened to oil prices when we lost the supply, Well, that gives you a rough feel for what might happen to prices. They go down right if you use kind of these rules of thumb, they weren't a bad guide on the way in. Let's just imagine that you get five million barrels a day, which is very conveniently five percent of global supply, an elasticity of four So if you lose one percent supply, prices go up by four percent. Well, that means you might get a drop in prices of around about twenty percent, which takes you from ninety dollars down to seventy to seventy five. So I think that's the kind of range you'd expect oil prices to settle in if that's the kind of increase in supplied the BC over the over the next month or so.
Speaker 3: I remember even a debate on this podcast, for we had Ziad and Haveavier at the beginning of the conflict, and you know, very focused on the significance of the straight Orfom moves, and at that point and I remember feeling that it maybe was on the low side. We had as our kind of dark downside scenario that the oil price would go to one hundred and ten, and Havevier and many others were saying, surely that the downside could be a lot higher than that, despite the fact that the conflict has continued so much longer than people would have expected or hoped at that time from an economic standpoint, why have they not gone as high as some thought?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll punt it back to have and tell us what is wrong. I mean, there are a couple of factors, well, a couple of things to think about. One is as havier. It set out that the adjustment that China has made to its importance of oil has been a big insulating factor. More broadly, though, I think the oil market, its role in the globe economy has changed immeasurably over the last ten to fifteen years. So if you go back to twenty eleven, which is the last time we saw a sustained period of oil at one hundred dollars a barrel, well, two things have happened since then. We've seen the price of everything else has gone up by about forty percent, related to the price of oil, and the efficiency with which we use oil has gone up by about twenty five percent if you put these things together, or to get an oil price shock of one hundred dollars a barrel now or how it felt like in twenty eleven, you'd actually need oil to move to one hundred and ninety dollars a bowl. So just those two factors alone explain part of the economy's resilience and also perhaps why the oil price itself hasn't jumped quite so much.
Speaker 3: And there's also this point about the demand destruction. But you know, as the price goes up, you're gotting reduced demand, which in turn prevents it from going higher and high. But I should be fair to you, have you the really high end numbers that you talked about was if there were serious attacks on, for example, desalination plants, which clearly didn't happen. So I don't think you were making sort of super high productions if that didn't happen. But it was certainly the case that a lot of people thought that prices would go higher than they have, and they've certainly been surprised at how long they've been under one hundred dollars in many cases, certainly in the last few weeks. So what's your explanation.
Speaker 4: It's quite interesting because I was sanguine on where prices were going to go if unless we have an open war, and we started, you know, seeing Iran and his rivals start getting the oil fields, which really never happened.
Speaker 1: The oil price surprise me.
Speaker 4: To the downside, the steel which has been I will have expected that prices will have been more sustained over one hundred dollars. I think that Jamie allude to some of the of the factors, and there are a number of them, but you have to say, well, you can only name one, and only one.
Speaker 1: Will be against China.
Speaker 4: China surprised me because reduced oil imports by tanker by forty five percent relative to pre war level, and we don't really know how that happened. I mean, we have our suspicions lower demands on shifts on refineries, but we do think that some kind of inventory droughtdown happened, whether that was commercial inventories or strategic inventories. You look at India was important in May of twenty twenty six exactly as much oil as it was important in May or twenty twenty five. So the fact that China came down allow a number of other economies in Asia to continue buying. I think that the use of the state petroleum reserves in the West, particularly the US in Japan, very early in the conflict was very important and a significant change of how we have used the SPR in the past. I mean, you look at the conflict of Livia, the kind of the previous time that we use the sat Patrolan reserves. It took about six months of civil war for the West to decide that there was a time to use the SPR. Similar situation in nineteen nineteen nine. In ninety one during the basis of Kubei here we used the SPR before the second week of the conflict have ended so very, very different. And there are a number of other factors that I think that they're important. By going to number name only two more one U allude to it demand destruction. We saw a significant amount of oil consumption just to disappear without really causing a lot of damage to the global economy. Perhaps it's because we are having this narration from the West and we didn't suffer and this was more of a crisis that affected the number of economies in Southeast Asia poor economies, but people in Europe, in Japan, in certainly in the US and Canada didn't have to change the day to day way of living, driving, flying around.
Speaker 1: Nothing changed.
Speaker 4: So that was very interesting how demand came down without affecting those economies. And the other one is the fact that the Estrado hormus was never really truly close. There were two big pipelines that provide bypass routes around the Straateia hormones, one through Saudi Arabia, the other one through the United Arab Emi dates and also towards the very end of the crisis, and let's hope that this is the very end of the crisis. We saw whether started that trick call one or two oil tankers a week crossing the straight of hormones, what we call dark modes, or they're beacon the location beacon off at night, very close to the coast, closer to the coast that typically you see these big vessels with are about three hundred and thirty meters long. And that started like one or two a week, and very quickly by last week it was one or two or even three a day. And that makes a big difference because you only need five or six a day, and you are pre war levels. When people say, oh, you know, before the war, about sixty vessels were crossing the Straight of hormones every day. That really include with every kind of vessel from from the big oil tankers to a small fishing troller. For the big tankers, we need about seven a day big oil tankers to cross the Straight of hormones and we are at pre war esport levels, so that's also important to remember.
Speaker 3: It's funny because we've been focused on this issue for so long and there's still things that I haven't had before.
Speaker 4: So the mats go as Basically, you need about fifteen million borrowers a day of crude oil esports to go back to pre war level through the Straight of hormones. Each of what we call a BLCC very large crew carrier is two million barrels thereabouts, so it's about seven seven and a big tankers gives you there. And if you consider that, probably we are going to still see those bypass pipelines working. Actually probably we only need to cross through proper a stray hormos about ten million barrels, which is five vessels a day. It is not a huge even if you have to basically seek sag. I'm on the minds it's only five tankers a day. It is not fifty sixty one hundred veersels a day.
Speaker 3: I love that VLCC. There's very large containers. If I'm just going to start referring to that, you know with people who you have your VLC, you have your very large car. Jamie. Have you mentioned about the sort of relatively muted impact on activity, certainly in the more advanced economies. So I guess that sort of takes us to this kind of second piece of just okay, assuming that this is some kind of turning point, some kind of reopening point, thinking about what path the global economy is on now relative to what we would have expected in mid February or you know, even the beginning of the year. How has this conflict changed the world from an economic standpoint.
Speaker 5: Well, I think we take a step back and look at kind of economic outlook over the past year as it looked at each point. So let's think about the impact of tariffs, the uncertainty that cause, and the impact that had on the economy. Well, the economy was in a pretty much global slowdown, in twenty twenty five. As we got towards the end of twenty twenty five, though, things were really changing. Uncertainty basically disappeared. We knew what Trump's end game was roughly with tariffs, and the economy was starting to really recover. You saw that in advanced economies, you saw it in developing economies, and of course you had the AI boom sort of supercharging all of that. So things were really looking up. At the start of the year February the twenty seventh, the global economy looked great and it doesn't look like that now. So if we've got a global GDP tracker, which kind of uses machine learning methods to combine lots and lots of information soft information, which is kind of very very timely, and you can see that immediately after the straight shut the global economy started down. There are a few reasons why that's the case. Right. One is that there's the direct effects of oil prices being higher, squeezing consumers making it harder for them to buy stuff. That's the direct effect. Then you have the uncertainty how long is it's going to last. The oil price is going to go buy more? Am I going to be able to fly somewhere. These things will affect people's decision making. And then finally you've got tighter financial conditions because central banks are waking up to the risk that inflation will be higher. They're not cutting or they're indeed hiking, and this, of course is making it harder for businesses to invest, it's making it more costly, it's making more costly to borrow. So all of these things are coming together to act as a drag on the economy. And the question is how fast are all these things are going to go away? The deal is signed, maybe the straight open straight away, Maybe uncertainty diminishes really fast, But how long is it going to be before central banks change their mind? They were kind of very slow to kind of acknowledge that this was an inflation risk, and one imagines that it could be very very slow to appreciate that the risk has passed because they've been burnt before.
Speaker 3: But every time we've talked about this in the past, we've pointed out that a higher oil price is a rational mechanism, and the countries that end up with much less oil are the ones that just can't afford to pay, and they're the ones who are also going to have the bigger impact via the cost of the difficulty of getting fertilizers. So Jamie is just to complete that picture in terms of what the global impact is. But thinking about emerging market economies and specifically the developing countries, well.
Speaker 5: I guess I mean one thing hasn't changed, which is that the losers in this are always the economies which are at least able to pay. They've got the highest elasticity of demand. They have to destroy their demand when this happens, and so that there is suffering happening around the global economy. And as Javier said, it's just not happening so obviously in the West where we are, and of course it's compounding other other risks we've heard about fertilizer about We know that food prices are going up in some places. We know that the client itself is also compounding risks to food costs, and when you put all work together, then you get a fair depressing picture for the risk of additional conflicts spinning out elsewhere in some of the lower economies. We have research on that other terminal as well. So it's so the consequences are the same as as always in some sense. But I guess what's different this time relative to twenty twenty two is we don't have the compounding factor of the FED hiking rates by a huge amount and compelling other emerging market economies to do the same. So we should in that in that respect be slightly better.
Speaker 3: And given that we have spent a lot of time over the last few years talking about what constitutes are temporary versus the lasting impact on inflation, and if we look through to the end of the year, if things do pan out broadly as we've discussed in terms of old prices in most countries, you'll be looking at a higher most developed countries, you're looking at a higher inflation rate at the end of this year, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's right.
Speaker 5: So I think with the US people expecting inflation to be about a percentage point higher at the end of the year than it would have been had we not had this crisis. For the UK and Europe, where there's much more reliance on natural gas and a very segmented market in the global gas market, it's more like one and a half percentage points higher, so a bigger problem. And the GDP impacts well, it's worse for the UK and the EU area because we don't produce any oil ourselves. For the US, it's pretty modest. So central banks have to weigh these two things, and generally it looks like we're expect basically lost three cuts from the FED. You've got maybe two hikes from the ECB. And who knows what the Bank of Being is going to do, because they're in a very sticky position because they keep worrying about inflation so much, because they're still fighting the last crisis on inflation. So it's a bit of a mess. I mean, the labor market looks completely different now from what it did in twenty twenty two. There's the likelihood of second round effects, so that people pushing for higher wages because they see their gas prices going up, their fuel prices going up. That that's a lot less likely this time around, but central banks are very scared, and so we may all end up paying the price for it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is striking. In fact, we have a little dashboard as a sort of market dashboard on the Bloomberg main website. We have like what's going on today. It's also just a nice little thing they've had since the end of February on how key prices have changed since February twenty seven. The US stock market's still up seven eight percent. I think the dollars a bit higher, but there's more than thirty percent increase in the average price of petrol gasoline in the US since February twenty seventh. I mean, have you I guess a sort of similar, sort of oil related version of that question for you. Obviously, supplies or reserves are going to be lower for quite some time. But if you're just looking at the state of the global oil market or the global energy market now and sort of the likely state by the end of the year, how would you tell that the Iran conflict has happened? What are the sort of big changes in terms of prices and other things.
Speaker 4: The way I look at the market, I see two main changes. Two that they are bullish. We emerge from the conflict with significantly lower strategic petroleum reserves in most countries, those will need to be rebuilt over time. That means buying barrels out of the open market to put into the stockpile.
Speaker 3: So, just to be clear, if you're sitting in the your market, bullish means you're expecting prices to stay higher and demand for the rest of us if they feel.
Speaker 4: Bully pullice is it's good news if you are an oil producer, so higher. Let's let's use the proper the proper terminology. Higher oil prices for two reasons. One because we need to rebuild the petroleum reserves in the case of the United States, that they are the lowest in forty plus years.
Speaker 1: That needs to be addressed. That means that demand next year will be higher.
Speaker 4: And also bullies because we can see the straight of hormones close again at short notice.
Speaker 1: Nothing guarantees that this deal is going to hold.
Speaker 4: And also it's a complete This war staff happens that is unpredictable. So the straight of hormones may reopen from Friday, but it may close Monday, and we need to be aware of that. Parish oil price. Lower oil prices. Why a couple of other factors there, perhaps more long term one. We have learned that China can add as a buffer against any supply disruption, reducing his own oil imports in a way, in a magnitude and in a speed that no one in the oil market have previously anticipated, and that perhaps lowers forever the risk premia or the geopolitical risk premia in the oil market, because yes, we do know that there are significant risks for the supply of oil. But now we know that there is a country which happens to be the world's largest oil importer, who is able to swing his imports up or down forty percent in response to an exogenous shock. And Barry is also lower oil prices because I think that we have seen pig hormus the most influential moment of hormos in the oil market. Going forward, every oil producer in the Middle East is going to try to build or increase the capacity of those bypass pipelines. The United Arab Emidays have announced today that their ambition is zero hormus, that they do not rely at all on the waterway for any of the oil esports. They have an oil pipeline already that bypass the Strada Hormons. They are building as we speak another one that they will be ready by mid of twenty twenty seven, and now they are thinking about building a third one. Saudi Arabia is very likely to do the same. Iraq Kuwai we may see more so we may find ourselves that perhaps in the northeast and future and I'm thinking about two thy and thirty where enough pipeline capacity has been built to make if not the strado hormones, if relevant, at least why significant mitigated force in the oil market compared to what is today.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, have it so just the sort of suiting so you've got the short term bullish in the sense of, you know, people are going to have to replenish their stocks, prices will stay high to some extra stent. Well, that happens, but longer term that kind of more of a ceiling to prices over time. Because of that fascinating point about China as the sort of swing importer.
Speaker 4: To me, what China has done in this crisis is complete awakening. Now we do really need to consider that if anything similar was to happen, China can do it again.
Speaker 3: Why are they not talking about it? They have tended to not be slow to take credit when they're acting as a shock absorber or as a sort of good economic global citizen. I'm intriguing that they haven't talked about.
Speaker 4: It's Sephanie, you you absolutely arell on because as an oil analyst, I was speaking over the last few hours, say why is Beijing not bragging about these and telling us, you guys have been enjoying a relatively moderate oil prices, thank you to our policies. We invested in estaday, petrol researve, we invested in this and that and that, And one of the problems that we have is we don't know exactly what I mean. We know what the outcome of whatever China did has been a significant reduction of oil imports, but we don't really know how they did it. Why is Beijing not from every loud speaker saying we did this for you.
Speaker 5: They may not want to. A Asia economists, our chief economists in China tells us that what we see is a significant reduction in the use of gasoline and diesel, not just withdraw from from reserves. So if that's the case, that would flag an economic weakness to come, and that's not something that the policy makers wish to brag about on the global stage. So it may be that it's not a deliberate policy choice. Rather, oil is very expensive and they don't want to pay for it.
Speaker 3: I do think that's probably an element of that. Jamie Moore, broadly, I guess some of the things that Javier was saying about building more pipelines to avoid horror moves. At the same time, we also have countries have often now accelerated some of their moves to net zero to reduce their reliance on carbon. I guess both of those things again kind of continue that move away from a world in which you can have a big Middle East energy disruption affect the global economy.
Speaker 5: The great pleasures of my job is that I get to have depressing conversations about oil and the very uplifting conversations about the new technologies which are driving forward the decarbonization of our economy. If you look at Bloomberging Energy Finance their projections for the uptake of these new technologies, Well, this is another nudge. It's a reminder. It's a market based reminder, not a policy led reminder. There are sharp incentives to get on with it. And so I think, if anything, it does nudg just further down that road.
Speaker 3: You know, again, with your sort of global macro head on, we've also in the line few years become used to thinking about there being more frictions, more question marks, more geoeconomic risk actually embedded in global trade and embedded in the global economy. And the straits of all moods. Although it always featured in these kind of wargame scenarios, it basically that the sort of safe passage through the straight upfe moves was not something that had been an issue up until now, and we hadn't talked about it in some of these other cases, like the straight of Malaca, whatever. All of those kind of question marks, risks, you know, have increased yet again.
Speaker 5: Indeed, and we've see there's already some action I think and HAVEVMA know more. But there are some countries which are already seeking storage outside of the strait and having relationships that we could create more buffers outside of the middleast, so that if this happens again, the buffer is outside of the straight.
Speaker 3: Will it now just be baked in for all the people that you talk to, spend your time with in the oil market, that they're going to pay a price to pass through the state moves on a kind of ongoing basis, whether it's called a fee or an arrangement cost or toll.
Speaker 4: I sense that acrossing the street of hormones is going to be more expensive going forward for at least the foresever future, because sheep owners are going to be asking for more money for the rias that their.
Speaker 1: Vessels get trapped.
Speaker 4: Insurers are gonna be also demanding more money the Straight of Hormones or the Persian Golf.
Speaker 1: Just in mind that that's a.
Speaker 4: London street which suddenly we have seen ten robberies in the last six months. Every insurer is going to increase their premium just because the rice have increased. So the Straight of Hormones Street has seen ten robberies, some of them very violent, and the insurer is going to say, well, you want to ensure the house on that street, you have to pay a bit more money.
Speaker 1: Will it be a fee at all?
Speaker 4: I suspect that on the very early days and weeks, I will not be surprised that we see some kind of payments.
Speaker 1: I don't think that we're going to use.
Speaker 4: The word at all. But can we see some navigation fees? I would not be surprised. They are similar fees in other straits and the boss for us in Turkey, for example, will it surprise me while you know mine Clarence contributes fee for the disposal of all their weapons. I would not be surprised. I don't think that that money will reach the Iranian people. I think that they will reach some very influential people in the in the Iranian government.
Speaker 3: Have you ever Blass, Jamie Rush, thank you so much. I guess we still have to wait to see whether that memoryment of understanding is signed, and then we wait to see if we ever get to read an official published versions. Not entirely clear yet, I feel like this was the definitive guide to how this conflict is going to affect the global economy getting forward. Thanks so much, thank you, thank you, thanks for listening Trumpnomics from Bloomberg. It was hosted by me, Stephanie Flanders and I was joined this week by Bloomberg opinion columnist Tavier Blass and Jamie Brush, director of Global Economics at Bloomberg. Trumponomics was produced by Summer Study and Moss Andam with help from Amy Keen and sound design by Blake Maples and Kelly Gary And. To help others find the show, rate us, review us extensively wherever you listen,