Speaker 1: Hi, get Everybody. I Dan Hord and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast, the Come and Pick Me Tonight edition, as we take an in depth look at the seventeenth pick in the twenty twenty five NFL Draft, Texas A and M defensive end Shamar Stewart. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since Charlie's Chalkboard. Charlie Goldsmith used to cover the Bengals for the Cincinnati And and while he's not at the paper anymore, he's still cranking out great content as a writer, podcaster, and talk show guest. One of the best places to find him is Charlie's Chalkboard. It's basically a free newsletter that gets sent directly to you via email. Just search for Charlie's Chalkboard, type in your email address and you'll enjoy Charlie's deep dives into the Bengals in reds now. Let's get to last night's selection of Texas A and M defensive end Shamar Stewart third and twenty. This one's third and nine for the Aggie forty one Beazlac pressure.
Speaker 2: Up the middle. They got him, They got him. Samar Stewart got him head midfield.
Speaker 1: With a seventeenth pick in the draft, the Bengals addressed one of their biggest needs by selecting perhaps the biggest athletic freak in this year's draft. Shamar Stewart is six' five and will likely play somewhere between two hundred and seventy and two hundred and eighty, pounds so he's basically the same size As Miles. Garrett remember how jaws dropped When garrett went to THE nfl combine back in twenty. Seventeen While miles ran a four to six', four Forty shamar stewart was faster at four Five nine miles garrett vertical jump was forty. One inches chamar was an inch behind at Forty and garrett broad jumped ten feet. Eight inches, Get this stuart was three. Inches better so why was he still available at? Number seventeen well because his production in three years With the aggies didn't. Measure up chamar had a total of four and a, half sacks one and a half. Each season he did have thirty nine quarterback pressures last year and grated well against, the run but it's hard to ignore four and a half sacks in thirty seven. College Games al Golden And zach taylor think he's capable of much more IN.
Speaker 2: The nfl, you.
Speaker 3: Know he's got the reach in the length to. Do it he's got the bend at, the top and he's got, you know speed to power. Long arm so he's got a lot of the things that. We want he's a, strong edgesetter but we feel like he's got the traits that that we covet and the play demeanor that we don't have to do anything but get him out there and watch him. Do it so from, that standpoint we're excited to work.
Speaker 4: With him we anticipate getting a lot of production out. Of him, You know i've got great faith in our coaches that you know there's there's a lot of near production obviously there as you watch all the clips. With him, but again we see a tremendous football player who's going to come in and help us and be really productive.
Speaker 3: For us we're going to utilize him to, his STRENGTHS and i think that's what's, really important and we're not going to ask him to do anything that he hasn't. Already done we want to take his traits and develop him so that he becomes better and he continues. To ascend this is an ascending player. Right now, you know we're in an error Now where covid is hitting and you're getting a lot, of fourth fifth year guys and some even six. Year guys this guy is an ascending player right now and a young man that we're really looking forward to.
Speaker 4: Working with he's a tremendous athlete and so again that you've got to be aware. Of them the quarterback's got to be aware. Of them play car has got to be aware. Of them tackles got to do a great job defending. Against him and so again we're just excited about what he can bring to.
Speaker 3: The table i'm just really impressed with the, young man just the way he approaches it the day in and, day, out practice, the drills the way he chases. The, football again, for us that's, play demeanor, that's attitude. That's effort those are all the things that we're looking for and can set the edge in, this division which is. Really important going to be hard to get knocked off the ball by tackles or. Tight ends and obviously he's a guy who makes place on the second level and on.
Speaker 4: The perimeter, you know he's earned everything he's got. In life, you know just just hearing his story grown up and where he's gotten, to now and, so again really excited to get to know him even better once he gets in the building and did around him a little.
Speaker 2: Bit more but we're fired up.
Speaker 1: About him stewart attended the draft last Night In green bay dressed in a resplendent, green suit and when he took the stage after the pick, was announced He Engulfed Commissioner. Roger goodell much Like, the bengals hope he will wrap up quarterbacks in the years. To come schamar did a conference call with local reporters after he was selected and here were a few of. His comments.
Speaker 2: What about your game translates the best TO? The nfl do, You?
Speaker 5: Think shamar my power rush is setting everything up. WITH power I mean i had the leading stack rush last year and all he did, Was power so, you know it translates, Pretty.
Speaker 2: Seamlessly shamar when you look at the lack of production that you had in college and kind of how teams maybe asked you, about that what was your best response about why that sack total was what it was through three years?
Speaker 5: AT eight, i mean most be. MULTIPLE reasons i mean my first TWO years i didn't play it as much in this. PAST year I mean i was, getting there but at the, same time, YOU know i just it's just technical things along the ways to the COURTBACK that i just need, to refine and of course just wrapping up on the. QUARTERBACK quests i, get there, You know it's just it's NOT like i can't. GET there i led, the team my team, and pressures and we also had THE best d line and. A see i, feel like in, my opinion it was just minus minus technical difficulties on.
Speaker 1: My end what's the best way to kind of get in that between now and the start of, the season you think to kind of making sure you're as technical as possible to get on the field as much.
Speaker 2: As possible that.
Speaker 5: First, Season man i'm gonna come in there and work work my. Tail off i'm a Me And. Trey henderson we gonna be my best Buddy because i'm gonna be under his.
Speaker 2: Tail mark do you feel like with, your trade you've got the tools to kind of be one of those number one defensive ends in the league that you know that all these teams. Are, COMING.
Speaker 5: Yes i FEEL like i FEEL just i just need to apply myself and just keep. On WORKING and i feel like what got me here was the work that just needed to keep. On working that's what's gonna keep.
Speaker 2: Me here is there any.
Speaker 6: Part of you that's looking forward to coming into a situation where you have something To prove with so many people talking about your lack of production at a, college level does that add any bit of motivation?
Speaker 5: For you, oh yeah big chip on, my shoulder, don't worry it's gonna. STAY there i feel like that's people overlook me for too LONG and i just got to come in here and just prove prove you.
Speaker 1: All right described tonight being around the best players in college football from last year and, you know waiting for.
Speaker 5: This moment, you know it's been a great tennight has been a, great night, you know regardless Of where i've been, paying tonight in, MY opinion i feel like tonight was a. GREAT night i accomplished from my. Childhood dreams, you know all the guys are very positive for, Each other everybody cheering each other on whether they've been paid. Or not so good vibe.
Speaker 1: All around somorrow will Travel to Cincinnati on friday for a news conference where we will all get to know. Him better coming up next Analysis From. Dave lapham, but first here's a quick reminder That The bengals booth podcast is brought to you By Paig or proud to Be the BENGALS official hr, software Provider By, alta fiber Future Proof fiber internet designed to elevate, your home business and community to a, new level And By kettering health the best care for the. Best Fans kettering health is the official healthcare provider Of. The bengals Now Here's dave lapham on the Selection Of. SAMAR stewart i guess You know.
Speaker 2: I'm Thinking al golden was excited as heck that the shot that they Had Of, al golden he was thrilled to death to give. A guy and why wouldn't you be thrilled to have a genetic freak, like that, you know a marvel that you can. Maybe DEVELOP but i haven't seen enough to determine if WAS it A and m's structure and what they asked him to, DO defensively, i mean did they ask him to, line up, you know nose up on guys and to. GAP them, i mean with that, athletic ability that's that's the. CRIMINAL offense, I mean i would think you put him in gaps and have him penetrate, and disrupt and that's what he's capable. Of doing and, you Know maybe i'll looks at it, and says And again i'm SPECULATING because i have not seen enough, to make, you know a JUDGMENT that I that i'm confident with based on. Film study, you know maybe it's like in my System what i'm going to be asking him. To do, you KNOW maybe i will be able to Develop A miles garrett or something close. To that, you know they obviously felt good, about it felt good about, the selection and, but man thirty seven games to have, you know basically sixteen negative plays and one, force fumble two passes deflected at the line. OF scrimmage, i mean it just it does not, you know one plus one doesn't. Equal two it's a.
Speaker 1: Crazy formula you'd like the sack total to. Be higher but he did have pressures thirty nine pressures. Last year that was tied for thirty seventh in. The country his run stopping great According To Pro, football focus number five among. Edge players so that. Was excellent and as, you noted you're Hoping With al golden you can develop him to be the kind of dominant force you're hoping the seventeenth pick in the draft.
Speaker 2: Can. BE yeah i mean you look at the pressures and you look at the number of sacks off of. Those pressures maybe, you know did, he finish was he able to did he miss a lot? Of tackles, you know did he miss a lot? Of sacks did you not get guys to. The ground he got the quarterback off his, spot obviously, and uh, you know pressure him and made him, harriers, read, harriers throw whatever the case. May be but you, know what maybe it's something that can be coached in Terms, of okay let's just teach this guy to finish a. LITTLE better, i mean he's he's. Right there let's just make sure that he has a good, feeling about, you know getting people on. The ground so, the numbers the, numbers are, you know hard to figure it, out THOUGH like, i said they they just they just don't add up, a guy a guy of. HIS caliber, i mean if you've got that number, of Pressures usually i'm not saying you go one for one in terms of, you know every time you pressure the quarterback you're getting. A SACK but i mean the good, pass rushers, you know thirty forty percent of the time they're there when they're pressuring people like the quarterbacks, like that they're, getting them getting them on. The ground and his numbers just don't don't add up. THAT way i do like.
Speaker 1: The size if you look at some of the other edge rushers in, this draft they were under two hundred and. Fifty Pounds mike green is approximately a two hundred and fifty. Pound guy Ezerraku From boston college less than two hundred and. FIFTY pounds i was Looking At sjamar stewart's Bio FROM texas A. And m they listed him at two ninety. Last year now at, THE combine i think he weighed two, sixty seven so his ideal weight is probably in the two seventy to two. Eighty range but IN The, AFC north i do think you need size to stand up against some of the offenses you're gonna face in. This, DIVISION yeah.
Speaker 2: I agree I mean i saw one BIO that I saw Mike, YOU dan i saw him at sixty six over two Ninety and I'm like, JAZ so, i mean he's probably a solid, sixty five? Is he they probably cheated a little bit and boosted him up to, sixty six but he's probably a good solid. Sixty five, and uh you know he's been able to carry over two hundred and ninety pounds and then showed the athleticism that he showed and that's that's that's. PRETTY impressive, i mean he he definitely was. The show stole. THE combine i mean he had, a combine, you know LIKE like, i Said Like, miles garrett and. THAT'S legendary i mean some of this forty inch vertical when you're, you know weighing what say maybe in the mid, two. Seventies unbelievable and he broad jumped, you know and in short at eleven feet standing broad JUMP what, i mean, you know and then ran a four or. FIVE nine i mean that is. A freak that is an, Athletic phenomenon there's. No doubt and again thirty four and eighth. INCH arms i mean, the guy the guy, is, long, strong fast, Can run he's got first. Step quickness his ten yard and twenty yard splits were. REALLY good, i mean he he's he's good every single. Thing athletically that's that you want in the. Defensive LINEMAN and, i think, You Know al golden feels like He And jerry montgomery can can coach him up and develop him and maybe utilize him a little bit differently than he was Utilized AT texas A. And m, and again, YOU know i don't want to Speak like i'm an authority on THAT because i have not studied. That enough but man if if the if the light goes on for him and he develops and learns how to how to, finish plays, you know that's that's the Challenge With. Miles Murphy miles murphy coming off, THE edge, i mean high, draft pick unbelievably explosive first, step quickness, you know, but boy his. Football geometry he needs, a tutor, you know he. Needs to he, needs to, you know get get schooled on. Proper angles, you know take an angle at. The quarterback it's not satisfactory to finish. The play he's either underneath him short or over the top. Too HIGH and i, don't know Maybe maybe stewart's looking at some of that a, little bit, you know just something that. Aiming points so whatever the case. May BE but, I mean i'll tell you what a guy six 'y five around two hundred and seventy pounds that has the athletic ability and the strength and, the explosiveness the ability to run and jump like a man, much smaller that's that's. A bear you don't want to. Wrestle. With man that's. A beast I can i can see where he'd be an unbelievable. Run DEFENDER and i think that what he's going To Provide al golden Is what al likes out of a lot of, his players and like a LOT of nfl, players now is. POSITION versatility, i mean, this guy can, you know he's big enough and stound enough to go inside and play defensive tackle lineup in a, three technique even line up on, the nose, you know and h and hunker down and two gap there and hit a gap and, and uh, you. KNOW disrupt, i mean that's that's what a guy of his physical stature and his, athletic ability, to me that equals. UNBELIEVABLE disruption, i mean He's gonna he's a guy that, Could, say okay the line of scrimmage maybe at the snap of the football was the thirty eight, yard line your thirty eight, yard line but when the, play unfolds you're gonna think it was the thirty six. Yard, Line man i'm going to re establish that line of scrimmage in my favor and. Against you he's he's one of those kind. Of guys and those, Guys are those guys. Are rare those guys are the guys are hard to. Deal. With man, YOU know i could see where this guy one, on one, you know AND again i haven't seen enough tape. TO see i tend to doubt that a guy of that size of an athletic ability was putting manned situations one on one blocking by. The opponent i'll guarantee you that he, always had, you know four eyes and four hands. On him in terms of two guys, blocking him so, you know it's it'll be interesting to sell how all this translates To The National. Football league BUT again i will Say That al golden is very excited about working with and developing And Taking shamar stewart's game to. Another level, and honestly there is room for growth.
Speaker 4: And development let's look ahead.
Speaker 2: To.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow lap, right Now the bengals have the forty ninth pick in the. SECOND round i have been suggesting this would be an ideal time to possibly. Trade back maybe you can get an extra, fourth rounder a couple of, fourth rounders something, like that if you move back five to, ten spots and in, my opinion if you can move back and still get one of the top guards on, your board this would be a great time to. Do it what do you think About the bengals possible plans in rounds two?
Speaker 2: AND three i agree with your with your, Thought. PROCESS dan i think in one of, those rounds second or, third round they will, trade BACK and i do think they're going to target now that they've taken care of the interior of the, defensive LINE and i don't have a problem. With them i'm going into. The draft you know you, would, say Okay resources i've spent have been on, the offense and no question, about it, you know resigning the two of the best wide receivers In The National football league and a tight end that is a. Good receiver as there is a deposition in the In The National FOOTBALL League bj hill defensive side. Of things but because, you know resources were, Spent there, I'm, thinking okay they get their. Defensive lineman, you know now let's go offensive lineman and, if possible trade back and if you can in the next three picks instead of the next, two picks maybe it double down on the. Offensive LINE and i Think the bengals in the past historically when they have, doubled down and sometimes they double down almost in a, you know around right after the. Other basis, you know my situation was was a lot. LIKE that i was the sixty first pick of, the draft and it was a it was. A Trade the bengals made a trade to get that sixty first pick of, the draft and they took me as a, you know as a guard in the, third round in the, fourth round and they drafted, a big big burley Guard, From Nebraska, daryl white and, you know so it was back, to back and, it's like, all right as, man wins, let's go let's go. To camps who's going to get that that opening that spot in the. OFFENSIVE line i could see that, happening, potentially particularly, you know maybe not back, to back but, maybe uh, you know you pick a you pick, a guard address, another position come back and hit. It again if there are guys on the board that you still have rated, pretty HIGHLY and i think they're going to be, YOU know, I mean I think i think that there are enough enough out THERE where i think they can still, you know uh make hay and AND again i think sometimes these offensive tackles that are going to be are still on. The board, you know you look, at it, you, say okay tackle position a little different when you're when you're on, the edge you're you're you're worried about you know that that interstate lane, right there and you don't physically you have to. Be skilled you have to have tools to be able to. Handle that you don't have to worry about much, MENTALLY though i mean you you basically block that in when. You're inside, you know you have to, recognize fronts, structure, configurations schematics and you have to be able to recon as are quickly. And communicated so sometimes tackles don't kick inside is easily, to guard and then guards kicking out. To tackle, you know mentally they can handle, it obviously but physically can they handle. IT well i think there are a bunch of a linemen in, this draft particularly tackles going inside. THE guard I think i think that the numbers that they show in terms of testing and all that sort, of thing and, and uh, you know their football IQ's and all that sort, OF thing i think that that there's there are, candidates there so it will be interesting. To see, you KNOW it's I Think donovan jackson Out Of, OHIO state, i mean what what what's going to happen? With that with that? Bad Boy josh simmons another another guy Out Of. OHIO state i mean there The buck eys have not have not been selected uh as often as probably the Fans in. Columbus wish but there there are a couple of offensive linemens still out there that that, you know right there in the State of ohio That the bengals might be able to think about. Working with SO there's i think there's going to be plenty. OF opportunity, i mean my, Dream Guy will campbell did go with the fourth pick To The New. England Patriots, But dan i'm, telling, YOU man i was excited about this guy because, watching him he's like a. Highlight reel you throw a game tape on and the dude's so. Consistently effective, you know, it's, like man is this consecutive stats, for like, you know a half here in a game or what? Is this this is a. HIGHLIGHT tape i mean that dude, is like he's serious about. HIS craft i mean he is, a technician. Tremendous fundamentals, you know he loves, the game dedicated. To it he's, a grinder a leader HIGH. FOOTBALL iq, i mean there's He's a he was a dream and you know the dream turned into a nightmare As the patriots took him with that.
Speaker 4: Fourth, day yeah he's.
Speaker 1: Long gone there's still plenty of good, guards LEFT and i think they should take one in round two with. This Caveat If notre Dame Safety xavier watts, Is there i'm willing to push the guard down, the road kick the can down the road a little bit And Consider. Xavier watts but aside, FROM that i think they've got to, go guard and there will be good ones to choose from at forty nine or even a little bit later if they were to.
Speaker 2: TRADE back i agree with you one hundred, Thousand, Percent DAN and i agree with You About xavier. Wats too the dude. Can play the. Dude's Smart And al golden knows everything there is to Know about xavier Watchs And xavier wats knows everything you need to Know About al golden and what his scheme is and how to. Execute It And al golden is very very effusive in his Praise Of. Xavier watch and the safety has to, you know make calls on that. Back End And al golden had all the faith and confidence in The World xavier watch being able to handle things mentally as well. AS physically. I agree, I mean i think if if he's there in the in the, second, round yeah go for the gusto and then, you know maybe address, that uh, you know that offensive lineman in the, third round and if you do have maybe you do go back to back in the third round and uh, and, say hey.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: We go, competition, Time boys he's competed game. Of football your. Whole, lives well this is high level of competition. As gets we're talking About The National football league and one of you is going to, make it and one of you might be on a practice squad, or whatever or you're going to be somewhere else trying to, make it so that'd. Be interesting.
Speaker 1: Don't forget i'll have another podcast wrapping up the second day of the draft when you wake Up.
Speaker 2: On.
Speaker 1: Saturday more that's going to do it for this episode Of The Bengals, booth podcast brought to you By, Pay core proud to Be The BENGALS official hr, software Provider By alta fiber future Proof fiber internet design to elevate, your home business and community to a, new level And By kettering health the best care for the. Best Fans kettering health is the official healthcare provider Of. The bengals if you haven't done, so already please subscribe to this podcast and if you have, a minute give it a rating or share a comment that Helps more bengals fans. Find Us I'm dan horde and thanks for Listening To The Bengals booth podcast