Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Gatty Armstrong and Jetty and He Armstrong and Eddy.
Speaker 2: Even the man that you picked out, he's got a He said he wasn't a.
Speaker 1: Member of a gang.
Speaker 2: And then they looked and on his knuckles he had MS thir.
Speaker 1: There's one.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, he had MS thirteen.
Speaker 1: We had some tattoos that are interpreted that way. But let's move on.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute.
Speaker 1: I hey, Terry, Terry, Terry, he did not under letter M S one.
Speaker 2: This is m S one three.
Speaker 1: That was the photoshop. So let me do his photoshop, Terry. Ahead of that.
Speaker 2: Hey, they're giving you the big break of a lifetime.
Speaker 1: You know, you're doing the interview.
Speaker 2: I picked you because factly.
Speaker 1: I never heard of you.
Speaker 2: But that's okay.
Speaker 1: I picked you, Terry.
Speaker 2: Hey, but you're not being very nice.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, So that's Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: They ran that in primetime last night, like eight o'clock in the evening on ABC. Terry Moran, who's their political reporter for ABC News, did the interview with Trump.
Speaker 1: Trump. I picked you, frankly, I'd never heard of you.
Speaker 3: I had a point about the actual content of that about the gang member MSA. They're talking about the dude that the Maryland man. Well, well, we'll hear more of it here. Here's a little more of the exchange.
Speaker 2: Well, the lawyer that said it was a mistake was here a long time, was not appointed by us.
Speaker 1: Should not have said that, should.
Speaker 4: Not have said that, And just sort of understand the person that you're talking about. You know, you're making this person sound This is a MS thirteen gang member, a tough cookie, been in lots of skirmishes, beat the hell out of his wife, and the wife was petrified to even talk of him. Okay, this is not an innocent, wonderful gentleman.
Speaker 1: From that, I'm not saying he's a good guy. It's about the rule of law.
Speaker 2: The order from the Supreme Court stands into our country illegally.
Speaker 1: You could get him back.
Speaker 2: There's a phone on this desk I could.
Speaker 1: You could pick it up, and all the power of the presidency.
Speaker 2: You could call up the President of El Salvador.
Speaker 1: And say send him back right now.
Speaker 2: And if he were the gentleman that you say he is, I would do that. But the Court hasted you to facilitate that. I'm not the one making this decision. We have lawyers, but I don't want to do this. But the buck stops eyes on, no, no, no, no, I follow the law.
Speaker 1: You want me to follow the law.
Speaker 2: If I were the president that just wanted to do anything, I'd probably keep him right where he is court.
Speaker 3: And one of the more interesting things about Trump, it's always been true, is he's more comfortable in a contentious interview than anybody. Most people they avoid them at all costs, and you know if they if they get one, they really try to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Speaker 5: He doesn't mind at all, or they go heavy on the icy stare and how dare you right? Trump mixes a little bit of that, a little bit of that in, but he's more than happy to mix it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I think, unless you've heard differently the it was a photoshop job on the knuckles of the from the picture.
Speaker 5: I have not heard, and I've read lots and lots about this guy that he had those tattoos on his knuckles. He was with MS thirteen guys. He had tattoos that were popular among MSN MS thirteen guys. He's wearing clothing that was popular, and gangs wear certain clothes. If you're not familiar with that, you haven't been paying much attention for a very long time. And he was id'd by a trusted confidential informant that, yeah, this guy's absolutely part of MS thirteen.
Speaker 1: They're eating the other hats, they're eating the dogs.
Speaker 3: I think he got I think he got hoodwinked by another you know, online thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm ya, I'm ye yoo right, But if the Supreme Court, you've got to you got to comply with the Supreme Court orders. Otherwise our system breaks down completely. And I don't I don't think this dude is a hill worth distracting us on. Let's let's just say, hey, we're cooperating with of course, no problem. Let's move along and deport another five thousand people who have no right to be here well and remote remove that as a talking point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I don't. I think they shouldn't fight so hard on this.
Speaker 3: Get him back and then ship him somewhere else, because he's going to get shipped out anyway.
Speaker 1: It's not like he's staying in the United States. Hmmm. Send them to uh Mars or Columbia or I don't know. Oh, I know.
Speaker 3: I was gonna mention is I don't know who invented this. It's just been in the last couple of years. This is a thing your major interviewers do now. They say something very controversial and then they say, well, we've got to move on.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, no. You don't get to just I say something.
Speaker 3: Then you say that's not true, say something else inflammatory, and that's say but we've got to move on to the next topic.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, yeah, that technique. Who invented that? I think it might be Christian Walker on Meet the Press, because I see her do it all the time. Well, studies have shown that's not true. But we've got to move on. No, wait a second, Wait a minute.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't get to pronounce the argument over in your favor. Yeah, no kidding, it's so pathetic.
Speaker 1: I really liked this one.
Speaker 3: I thought this was Trump at his best Trump, where he just he talks in a way that politicians don't usually talk. I thought it made perfect sense. And well, you decide for yourself. This is about whether Pete Hegzeth still has the confidence of the president and needs to go he.
Speaker 2: Said the other day that you had to talk with the secretary.
Speaker 1: Did you take him to the woodshed?
Speaker 2: I had a chalk with him, and whatever I said, I probably wouldn't be inclined to tell you, but we had a good talk.
Speaker 1: He's a talented guy.
Speaker 2: I'm smart, highly educated. Uh, and I think he's going to be a very good defense hopefully a great defense secretary, but he'll be very good defense secretor.
Speaker 1: You have one hundred percent confidence?
Speaker 2: And I don't have to tell one hundred percent confidence in anything? Okay, anything? Do I have one hundred percent? It's a stupid question. Look, it's pretty important.
Speaker 1: I have no. No, no, you don't have one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Only a liar would say I have one hundred percent confidence. I don't have one hundred percent confidence that we're going to finish this interview. Now.
Speaker 1: I thought that was fair point. I thought that was fantastic.
Speaker 3: Anybody who says they have one hundred percent confidence in anything is a liar.
Speaker 1: Or just expressing an emotion.
Speaker 3: All right, you're yeah, you're not wrong, You're just expressing directionally something.
Speaker 1: But it is a stupid question.
Speaker 3: Design and it obviously designed to get you to say, you know get on the record with one hundred percent competence or you don't have full confidence or whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, and then having baited.
Speaker 5: Somebody into expressing a ridiculous notion I have one hundred percent confidence, then you say, well, what about this?
Speaker 1: What about that?
Speaker 5: That in any normal human being would cause a less than one hundred percent level of confidence, And.
Speaker 1: Then you've got them. Okay, tee, I don't have one hundred percent confidence. We're going to finish his interview. I thought that was fantastic. Yeah boy, yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, Trump, for all of the aspects of his personality that drive me insane, has a very low setting for what am I supposed to say here, which a lot of politicians that's all they have and so you never get anything out of them.
Speaker 3: He gave a long answer on tariffs. It's the exact same thing you've heard a hundred times. So there's no really no reason to get into that about how other country's been ripping us off, and that's going to come to an end. Maybe just this one more on what the pain is going to be Clip fifty four.
Speaker 1: There, Michael I said, you're going to have a transition period.
Speaker 2: We've been ripped off by every country all over the world.
Speaker 1: They're laughing.
Speaker 2: And I say, thought we were stupid people than we were, And I said, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: We're not hard times. Hard times are ahead. I don't think so. I think tight times are ahead.
Speaker 2: Look, since I came in, gasoline is down, groceries are down, egg prices are down, many things are down, just about everything.
Speaker 3: The polling would show that people think they're already in some hard times and that hard times are coming.
Speaker 1: What's your best guess?
Speaker 5: He's playing chicken to get better trade deals and this all is over in a few weeks or not.
Speaker 1: I hope that is.
Speaker 3: I hope he's you have one percent confidence he's been saying the same thing about tariff's his whole adult wife.
Speaker 1: It's pop.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's just wrong, friends. I hate to be blunt because he's doing so many great things, I think, but he's just wrong about tariffs and how they work.
Speaker 1: It's possible that they're likely to have It's.
Speaker 3: Possible that he's just really committed to this very outlier view of the way tariffs can work that practically nobody else agrees with. Yeah, So I hope that's not the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope it's a negotiating plan.
Speaker 5: I was listening to a learned commentator who pointed out that all US tariffs, all of them going back to an Alex Hamilton was advocating for them way back in the day, have been implemented gradually and with lots of notice, so businesses could plan and sales could be adjusted and it wouldn't cause shock and disruption. And that's the part of this that's really unprecedented. Just busting them out and announcing them, that's kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, and there's also the other point where he seems to be.
Speaker 3: Taking advantage of two aspects of it that are contradictory. It's always about the tariffs are going to pay down the debt because this is how much money we're going to bring in every year from the tariffs. And then the other argument is they're going to you know, we're going to get this worked out, that we're going to make a deal where it's more reciprocal, in which case they would become much much lower. So you're not going to enjoy the financial benefit of these tariffs.
Speaker 1: Because you just stated that there's going to be at some point in negotiation, so you can't.
Speaker 5: Have both and on the days that he says no, no, they're in place, we're going to bring back American manufacturing. Well, the purpose of those tariffs is to drastically reduce the level of imports. So that's going to drastically reduce the level of tariff ref now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So just briefly on last night is a big speech of the Raley he did in Michigan, and I couldn't be happier about the way he's taken on the culture, wars and DEI and men in sports and so many different things that are huge and nobody had the guts to do and everything like that. Like he opened with here we are in Michigan, they're coming back. Countries all around the world, companies were all around the world are coming here to build cars again.
Speaker 1: I thought there's just zero evidence of that, zero zero. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Scott Bessont bessent Vesson said something interesting the other day that I thought was a giveaway. It was a wink at the markets, and I think they appreciated hearing it. Although today's been rocky, but yeah, it goes up and goes down. But he said the president likes to create strategic uncertainty in negotiations.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't.
Speaker 5: Remember if he used the term chaos, but his meaning was clear. Yeah, the President likes everybody to wonder what the hell is going and so if we're all wondering what the hell is going on, that's a very Trumpian thing. So I have a fair level of hope that this will all settle fairly quickly and result in some pretty good, productive trade deals. But I'm not, again, like Trump himself, my certainty is sub one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: What do you think make the argument for why this is a good idea if you want to on the text line four one five two nine KFTC. I think this is beyond a sports story. I think it has greater applications.
Speaker 5: By the way, coming up, it's creepy, it's terrifying, and you might want to get it. It's a new AI app. We'll tell you about next segment. So yeah, getting to the Shadoor Sanders story, The son of Neon Dion Sanders, touted to be perhaps the number one pick in the NFL draft, dropped way wait wait, wait, wait wait, way down to one hundred and forty fourth or whatever it was. Yeah, humiliation, But he was there gathered with friends and family at the Sanders home watching the TV, waiting for the phone to ring, waiting for his dreams to come true. Everybody really on tanto hooks because of his plunge in the draft. When the phone rang and it sounded something like this, making was here, jam of the bank.
Speaker 2: How you doing good?
Speaker 5: How are you? Man?
Speaker 2: I'm good. I've been waiting on you.
Speaker 1: It's been along. Wait man, for sure, I'll take you over her next year right here? Man, Ye, but you're gonna have to wait a little bit longer. That okay?
Speaker 2: That grated?
Speaker 4: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Are you he was on phone? You heard that. He said you're gonna have to wait a little bit long.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 1: Nobody got this numbered though, he just trolled.
Speaker 2: Ain't trigger now man.
Speaker 5: So that was a prank call telling him he would be you picked with the next pick and say, hey, you're gonna have to wait a little longer.
Speaker 3: Well, as we talked about the other day, I'm dying, so I gotta get this thought out before I perish. The non sports interesting part of this to me is, UH, don't let your youngster go into their interviews super super cocky to where the UH boss thinks, I don't care. If this kid is good enough to work at my place, I don't want them around.
Speaker 1: They're too freaking cocky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you're great, you don't have to tell anybody you're great.
Speaker 1: They'll figure it out. God.
Speaker 3: He he went into a couple of interviews, and the more more rumors are float floating around where he just was like so cocky, like looking at his phone during the interview, declaring, you know, he was gonna take over the franchise and stuff like, eh, I'll make those decisions, you know that.
Speaker 1: Just oh, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Acting as if he was God's gift and the code, which is were lucky to be talking to him.
Speaker 1: Just terrible. But anyway, so that prank call awful really.
Speaker 5: I mean, even if if this kid is this Shador Sanders is young and and brash and made a terrible strategic air, you know, he doesn't deserve that sort of emotional torture in my opinion. But anyway, So it turns out that voice on the other end of the line was the son of the Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Jeff Olbrick. Jack's Olbrick, twenty one year old son unintentionally this, according to the Falcons, statement unintentionally came across the draft contact phone number of Shador Sanders off an open eyepad while visiting his parents' home and wrote the number down later to conduct a prank call.
Speaker 1: Wow, now that's a rank call.
Speaker 5: Jeff Ulbrick, the DC, as we say, of the Falcons, was unaware of the dad exposure any facets of the frank and was made aware of this of the prankin was made aware of the above only after the fact. The Falcons do not condone this behavior and send our sincere apologies to Shadur Sanders and his family who've been in contact with to apologize, as well as facilitate an apology directly from Jax to the Sanders family. The young mister Ulbrick issued the following apology, and I will ask you what you think of it. On Friday night, I made a tremendous mistake, Shador. What I did was completely inexcusable, embarrassing, and shameful. I'm so sorry I took away from your moment. It was selfish and childish. I could never imagine getting ready to celebrate one of the greatest moments of your life. And I made a terrible mistake and mess with that moment. Thank you for accepting my call earlier today. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty good apology. That's an apology. That's pretty good. I think he actually wishes he hadn't done it.
Speaker 5: One of the aspects of the modern era that I actually despise is once some stupid kid and yeah, when you're twenty one year a kid, at least these days you are. When some stupid kid posts something stupid on Twitter, he says something dumb, we act ten years later that she exposes their entire character, and we tear them down and cancel him.
Speaker 1: He is an idiot. He made an idiotic mistake. Let's move on Armstrong and Geeddy Man.
Speaker 3: That most famous girl from the whole Ebstein thing, the one that was there with Prince Andrew.
Speaker 1: She was like seventeen years old. He killed herself over the weekend. What a horrible story that is? Yeah, terrible, dang it. Yeah sad. Anyway, I have some more on that later, perhaps the whole Ebstein thing.
Speaker 5: Joanna Stern writes about tech for The Wall Street Journal. She's very clever, as you're about to hear, and sounds down to earth, and I enjoy your writing. The opening a bit of this article tells it all. I've been wearing a wire everywhere since February. I've got all the transcripts important meetings, arguments with my kids, chats with disgruntled employees, late night bathroom routines. There's plenty more that I can't share if I want you to keep liking me. She has been willingly wearing a fifty dollars be Pioneer bracelet that records everything she says and uses AI to summarize her life and send her helpful reminders. Getting back to the article, I also tested two similar gadgets, the one hundred and ninety nine dollars Limitless Pendant and the one hundred and fifty nine dollars plowd Note pin. These assistants can recall every dumb, private, and cringe worthy thing that came out of my mouth. Is this the dawn of the AI surveillance state? Absolutely? Is it also the dream of hyper personal, all knowing AI assistance coming to life?
Speaker 1: Also? Yes? Absolutely, Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: The first thing I thought of was, and usually i'm I'm my first go to is surveillance state. But my first thought was, Wow, if I had AI reminding me, Hey, remember you were going to work on that getting your real ID. The deadline's coming up, I would love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I was just gonna say, if y'all are sitting there thinking, what the hell good would this do me? She gets to that, and it's pretty cool. Let me read more of her piece. Within hours of wearing the bee again one of the three devices she tried, I was blown a weight how quickly it turned ramblings and random chatter into useful, actionable information. Yet allow me to quote myself from February twenty fourth at five point fifteen pm. Wow, quote, this bracelet is really effing creepy.
Speaker 1: So here's how they work.
Speaker 5: And she mentions that all the denials we've heard through the years that social media apps are secretly listening to us too hard, too intensive, too much data buh bah, yeah, please, but all those devices do that at the detect dialogue, especially your voice, and they stream the audio to your phone via Bluetooth, then to company servers where it's transcribed. AI models take the transcription and generate summaries, which appear in the apps within minutes. Now, one of the devices that does not save the audio.
Speaker 1: All it has is the transcriptions.
Speaker 5: The other one limitless keeps the audio, letting you play back full recordings of everything you've said.
Speaker 1: Boil boy, oh boy.
Speaker 3: It's a little weird for us because I have full recordings of what I say four hours a day, five days a week for the past thirty years.
Speaker 1: But so it's not as foreign to me. But why that'd be something?
Speaker 5: But you and I also have a heightened awareness of the difference between when the mics are on and when they're not. True, and more than one good career has been ended because a mic was on somebody thought it was not I've had a few disagree reached that bullet a couple of times ourselves. I've had a few disagreements in my life, like minor to major, where would have been kind of handy to be able to go back and say.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure you didn't mention that to me. They said, yeah, I did.
Speaker 5: It's like to screen the commercials. Who is it an insurance commercial? Guy, I can't remember. Let's go to the tape and they go under the hood, right like NFL referees.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Katie, I'm just thinking this sounds like a wife's dream, the amount of time, like I told you we have dinner tonight at five, No you didn't.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's go to the tape. Let's go to the tape, sir. That's fantastic.
Speaker 5: Then she gets into some of the technical ups and downs, and Katie would love to have you comment on this to your heart's content. But and she gets into how AI is nothing without data.
Speaker 1: It needs data.
Speaker 5: So when you feed it everything you've said for days, weeks, and months, it gets infinitely more useful. Also, yes, it becomes a lot more like a Black Mirror episode, but we'll get into that. She writes, with massive transcripts of your life, the AI in these apps can summarize. They recap your conversations, often reading like a bad biography.
Speaker 1: This is great.
Speaker 5: The b Device summary from April ninths Joanna's day was a blend of familiar responsibilities and intense professional engagements. She ended the day listening to music by sting riveting stuff. Can't wait for the movie adaptation.
Speaker 3: Wow, there'd be some days. Excuse me, there'd be some days. Read disappointed in the summary. You worked, you came home, you scrolled through Twitter, you ate crap and went to bed.
Speaker 1: Oh my own business.
Speaker 3: AI who Jack has eating his twenty seventh double quarter pounder in this week?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, thanks houch track. Yeah it's Kenton, I am.
Speaker 5: The transcriptions themselves aren't all that accurate, but the summaries usually are well, except for March twenty fourth conversation with Johnny Cochrane about trial evidence. Yep, just a casual chat with a deceased liberty lawyer, and she says in parentheses, I was watching the new OJ documentary.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 5: But Jack, to your prescian point earlier, some of the ways that they're helpful is summarizing things and reminders. Turns out I promise to do a lot of things without putting them on a to do list. B listens for action items and adds them to suggested lists because they understand the verbiage in an action item. It's repeatedly reminded me of important tasks like calling the plumber or following up on work stuff. But it also hilariously adds things I'd never put on a list, like quote, check in on your six son, or schedule a follow up with your hairstylist to discuss your haircut.
Speaker 3: Let's see it analyzes. God, how great would that be. I'll bet this happens soon. And like a lot of things in life, we can't remember what it was like before it where you know in ten years remember when you like now we're I often think, you know, I go somewhere and I think, how did I.
Speaker 1: Used to get to places? I don't even remember how I used to get to places? Did I pull out a map? Or how did I even do it? Ask friendly strangers?
Speaker 3: Right, well, yeah, Sometimes you'd pull into a gas station and say, you know, I'm looking for the sporting goods store, which I know is around here somewhere, but I could see here in a couple of years. Would be like, do you remember when you used to have to remember things or write them down on a post it note instead of having AI tell me, remember your son's got the volleyball game, so you got to pick them up from school early?
Speaker 1: That sort of yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, I can't be the only person assembled friends who is not great at making to do lists. And how many times have I said, I mean, Jeff, yeah, no, I won't bother, I'll remember it. I'll remember to make to do lists. How many times have I said when I think of it. I don't have time, and when I have time, I don't think of it. Correct Anyway, here's another thing it does both be and limitless. Have chatbots so you can ask about your recorded life. I asked B for a detailed breakdown of my cursing habits. Daily average two point four curses. Please, you're not even trying, sweetheart.
Speaker 1: But it can be what are you a nun?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Two point four a day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it's impressive. Well she has kids, good for you? Well, yeah, you're never in the car alone. Get out my blanking way. But then she says it can be genuinely helpful, like, quote, look through my chats with Ethan from B and tell me what AI model it uses. So reminders of factual things you heard in a conversation that are a little fuzzy.
Speaker 3: Now, God, I'm starting to think I might so all of this surveillance stuff we've all opted in, we've all decided we're going to carry around a tracking device with us all the time, and we all know that we just feel like the advantages outweigh the possible disadvantages.
Speaker 1: I think this might end up being true for recording everything.
Speaker 3: I say that the advantages will outweigh the you know how it could be misused. God, if you could quickly, you wouldn't even have to listen to the conversation. If AI could go back through the transcript and it would say, yeah, your wife did tell you that you had dinner to night at five? Oh cramp eh um, or no they didn't.
Speaker 1: It might be handy. Yeah, I tell you.
Speaker 5: I would describe myself, and again, I have a feeling I'm not unique in this is busy, well meaning and absent minded. And if my what sits could say to me, hey, remember you agreed to play golf with Gordy tomorrow afternoon, I'd be like, oh, shoot right, because you know that's one of my great weaknesses.
Speaker 3: So here's how you're built that way or you're not. It's so obvious because I got two kids that are completely different. I got one kid that's very close to me on terms of that stuff, kind of like you just described my other kid.
Speaker 1: It just all locked in his brain all the time.
Speaker 3: He knows where everything is, he knows what's on the schedule today, he knows it. Just it's all there all the time. Yeah, but I can't. I can't try harder and be that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons my wife and I have escaped financial ruin and other bad fates is she's meticulous, and so you know when she like pays a bill late, it's alert the media. Yeah, it's just what anyway, how they're creepy. February twenty third, five point fifteen, in a conversation with my mom. This bracelet has nothing to do with fitness. It records everything that's being said as her mom was asking her, Nobody I've talked to over the past few months would have known I was recording them if I hadn't told them. It's a little fun like I'm a low budget Ethan Hunt.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't get that references fy some sort.
Speaker 5: Mostly though, I just felt like a creep and depending on the state, I might have been breaking the law.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the other side of this. All that conversation stuff. Both ends of it should be uh as into it as maybe I would be. Otherwise, you're recording all your friends conversations. That's and family's that's pretty dicey.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 5: Some of these are just hilarious because they have transcripts and summaries right of your various conversations. This one's labeled interaction with pet dog Browser. I think it's Bowser, but maybe it is. Browser. That's a very writer a thing to name your dog. Here's the transcript. Someone scolded browser for chewing something Speaker one, Browser, What are you doing? Speaker one again? Can you not chew your whatever? Speaker one again? Browser? The transcripts, Yeah, oh, that is some useful stuff. Most of my recordings were in New Jersey and New York, which are one party consent states.
Speaker 1: And I'd agreed.
Speaker 5: But if I were in one of about a dozen states that require two party consent, I need mission from everyone in earshot or end up with a possible civil liability case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I don't know how that's gonna work. And states where you got to have two party consent.
Speaker 5: And then she quotes a lawyer, Jack, who surprisingly says you better not, which is what lawyers are paid to say. More specifically, he says, I would make sure everyone has consented verbally, and while the risk might be low, he adds, we would never recommend people take that risk.
Speaker 3: Well, geez, I mean if somebody walks up to me and says, I wear a device that records all.
Speaker 1: Of our conversations. Just want to make sure that's okay with you.
Speaker 5: I'd be an automatic No, No, you're freaking f all the way off. Yeah, exactly how far away can you get in the next ten seconds?
Speaker 1: Get there? How does this benefit me in any way? There's only downside.
Speaker 5: So any thoughts, usefulness, hazards, etcetera. Drop us a note mail bag at Armstrong and Getty dot com. We'll hit them around the same time tomorrow.
Speaker 3: During the show they kind of reminded me of stuff though, because it remembers what I said.
Speaker 1: That'd be cool. Yeah, if they.
Speaker 5: Could refine it to promises and actions. And of course, you know, in the scenario we've we've talked about a couple of times, it would have to be recording my wife saying, don't don't forget we're having dinner with the Joneses next Tuesday.
Speaker 3: But does it also record remember the other night when you said you'd blink my blank Oh no, you don't know.
Speaker 5: Of course, it'd be good to have a transcript funny right here in black and white.
Speaker 3: Yes see it's here. Not trying to be argumentative here, but read the trans eight seventeen on April the third. I mean, it's just it's just a fact. Uh Any thoughts on that? Yeah, Texas four one five FTC.
Speaker 1: The enter in.
Speaker 6: Company Billy has launched an ad campaign that features scratching sniff posters in New York. But if you're willingly scratching and sniff thing the walls of New York, you're probably not the deodoran type.
Speaker 3: That's a good point, and it's Anna Purspert. Deodorant doesn't do anything you need. Anna Perspert agreed, that's right. You got to attack the stench at its source. Jack So, in a conversation subsequent to our discussion last segment about these AI devices that listen to everything you say and then become a reminder, an assistant, et cetera, summarize your conversations, blah blah blah, we got to talking about one and two party consent states. Actually two party consent states are all party consent states, meaning in thirty eight states in the District of Columbia, just one person has to consent to record a phone call or a conversation. So I could call up anybody and be recording them and not let them know.
Speaker 1: And that's perfectly leaked.
Speaker 5: Not if you're at home in California, But in those other states, yeah, the thirty eight thirty nine states. Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: It's a protection against the federal government tapping your phone without a warrant. Somebody chatting has to know it's being recorded, or the government's got to have a warrant.
Speaker 3: Now, all state the having a minimum of one right, Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And actually I'm in favor of that. I like that.
Speaker 5: I understand people being in favor of all party consent, which is the correct term because you could have three.
Speaker 1: People on a phone call.
Speaker 5: Obviously, But California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington are all party consent states. Everybody involved has to give consent. That's interesting that most states are not.
Speaker 1: I I don't think I like the idea that somebody can call me up and be recording my conversations.
Speaker 5: I hate it, but I understand why it ought to be legal. It's one of those things where and yeah, there are limits to how great my argument is. But my argument is there are laws governing what you can do with a recording. If you use that recording to damage my reputation, damage my building, humiliate me publicly intentionally in ways that are unto order illegal. I can have you prosecute and pursue you civilly. It's also an incredibly scum baggy thing to do, unless you've got a really good reason. On the other hand, you're getting threats from somebody, somebody is trying to defraud you, you're in the midst of a custody battle, and you are up against a congenital liar.
Speaker 1: I can think of a lot of good uses.
Speaker 5: We have legal, ethical and moral uses for that recorded You got to say.
Speaker 1: Violent boyfriend or husband, you want to get him on the phone admitting to it or acting that way.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, though, like so many things, because of the change in technology, Like nobody would have consented to having a device that tracks them on their car thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: Nobody's nobody. Why would I ever do that?
Speaker 3: Now we all willingly carry around a tracking device that we take with us everywhere we go all the time. Similarly, while I hate the idea of somebody recording my phone calls, most of our conversations are texts with people, and that's you know, as preservable as anything could.
Speaker 5: Possibly be, right, right, I can claim somebody grab my phone and typed it out, though damn it, I've been hacked. On the other hand, I can ruin this whole discussion by saying AI generated audio. You can fake up a phone call now, and it's utterly convin and singing. You need forensic scientists to decide whether it's legit or not.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the state of the art is, but world keeps getting crazier.
Speaker 5: So, speaking of crazy, we've got a lot of great stuff to get to during hour four. If you have to go somewhere your station doesn't get our four Grabit five podcasts. Later, subscribe to Armstrong and Getty on demand. It will be available to you when you wish.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty