Speaker 1: R and B Money, Honey, we are thanks take volatility. We are the authority on.
Speaker 2: All things R and B, ladies and gentleman.
Speaker 1: My name is Tank. This is the Army Money Podcast.
Speaker 2: Authority on all things R and B. I'm talking cloth.
Speaker 3: Talk, huh talking well versed, well studied, gifted.
Speaker 2: Musicianship.
Speaker 1: All the ship we grew up all huh.
Speaker 2: Built into one young man, nice two piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, came in his shining to know executive producers, ship level.
Speaker 2: What's up man? What's up? Purpose? Correct? Hey, the camp presents other camp.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, man, watch bus.
Speaker 2: You know I appreciate just pinking ring, just a case, just a little, a little at mind. You know what I'm saying, not too much, not too much to watch. They're not selling that in the mall in the middle. You know what I'm saying. Little right there at the keys.
Speaker 1: Look custom man, your your your music, your gift has made room for you.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like it is, it is made absolute room for you.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: The conversation around you is always it's always.
Speaker 2: An excellent one. God is good.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, God give it right. And it's up to us to to be good stewards over that, and be at the gift, and be at the relationships, and be at all of those things. And so you you, you've been a great steward over all that God has given you, which is why he continues to give you.
Speaker 2: Man, you understood what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I could, I could, I could go into the script, but I'm not gonna do that. I'm not gonna do that. He has a pinky ring he got. We're gonna keep it. We'll keep it, you know what I'm saying. We'll keep it. But you you're doing a lot of I just got I got on a record for.
Speaker 2: You too, that camera talking to camera.
Speaker 4: Man is coming soon soon, soon, soon, soon, says, So what is the what is the title? So it's called it's called it's called it's called the compilation album Volume one value. I'm gonna do more than one volume, but I'm gonna do more. I'm gonna do more, but just the one volume is for right now. I'm a I'm a I'm gonna start it off like that, uh compilation. But you know my name is Campus, so I'm gonna do campilation. So Man and and and Tank Bro, thank you. I can't thank you enough.
Speaker 1: You know, I love the song so much. I'm going back and forth with human edits and like and do the thing right here because it's a couple of d B excise me t D he's just like half of half a dB maybe three fourth Ruben just turned up one.
Speaker 2: Do what the man says now.
Speaker 1: And it's but it's like, I mean, we got that record, which I think is gonna be be a man, which I think it's just one of those.
Speaker 2: Red always want to be.
Speaker 4: And and you and you exactly you know what I'm saying, Like it's never been done, and like that's what I'm all about. It's like, you know, I'm just trying to do things that haven't happened people don't think of, Like this is going to shake the world up.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go back to the beginning, right. But I just want to I just want to. I just want to just talk about this one space in particular, where like we got a chance to work.
Speaker 2: Like really work on.
Speaker 1: During during the Love camp with Puff and we actually got to like be in a room, yeah, and and get active and you're you're very much you're You're a producer in in any environment whether it be you sitting in a room by yourself putting the magic magic together, or on the spot if we need something like you're immediate, you know what I'm saying, like and that that's a different kind of gift to be dope on call. I know a lot of great producers that need to be in their own space, in their Oh they need their own curtains and their own can damn like they need like, they need their own ship. I everybody get out the room. Well, I think can do this ship right. You're like this, yeah, all right, you need and everything's cold. You just gotta pick something that piece right there, just that piece and then play that piece like thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you.
Speaker 1: It takes one to know one, niggas. But listen, it's it's it's it's rare. And you're the You're you're the young you know what I'm saying, The young, Uh, the young improvement, more improve version of what we did. Like nigga, you're different. You get busy, you you get really really busy, and it's hard for musicians to produce, which is the other thing I was going into. You're really a musician, yes, yeah, And it's tough to be a musician and a producer, right. It's very tough because mostly producers are just called to session to just play because they only need a little bit of a musician depending on because.
Speaker 2: They don't down right exactly.
Speaker 4: No, there's an art to dialing down one hundred per yep. I remember one time I was in I was in London. I was working with Rihanna on the Rihanna We're Going First Start. Yeah, that's that's you know what I'm saying. You know, but I didn't get on that album, but I was there, right, So I was there with the camp and all of that, and like, you know, shout out o mar Grant, you know what I'm saying. He pulled me to the side like yo, hey, hey hey man, Like, like I get it, you can play, but like you like your tracks is too busy, Like they're too busy, you like dollar down it's a little bit really So from there I was like, hmm, okay, so maybe it's not about all the cores and what you can fit in three minutes and thirty seconds. It's about like the feeling you can do from like maybe two or three yeah, and captivating that same feeling. Like that was the key for me. So you know, just doing that and just you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, Yeah, that's great an R absolutely because now.
Speaker 1: Look because people because and like as we talk about what kind of was missing in the business, like an rs don't necessarily know how.
Speaker 2: To articulate it. No, they just say they like they.
Speaker 1: Just said it, like someone I don't like that. But for him to be able to say, your your bit, your cords structure, yeah, it's a bit for him to know you're stretching out a little too far.
Speaker 2: This is not second Baptist. Don't shout out second Baptist.
Speaker 1: Shout Baptist, Ye say second Baptist.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, I didn't make that album.
Speaker 1: But you know, but the experience alone, though I'm sure, yeah, prepped you for everything that.
Speaker 4: You know now you need to give the meda you know what I'm saying. So it's like everything happens for a reason. So I'm happy that I get to you know, I didn't let my ego say no like you mean, bro, like I mean.
Speaker 2: I let myself digest it, understand it, and apply.
Speaker 5: It, because there's an ego to being that talented too, Absolutely, especially musician talented, Like when you. You know, when you can see it, you can you know what I mean, like, and other people can't see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: In your mind, everyone is beneath you for for people that are really talented as musicians, you know. And and I sit on the other side of that because I don't play. But I've had so many of those conversations, and I'm like, you're just never you won't get it. You're very talented, but you won't get it. You probably will never have a hit record because your ego is.
Speaker 2: In the way of someone telling you you're doing too much. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: You don't have to do all that because the average person in the world don't understand. Most of them can't find it'll see yeah, facts. So you have to be able to meet people where they are musically and be able to you know, lack of a better term, dumb it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. You know what taught me that, The NPC sixty taught me that because I was trying to stretch and and it wouldn't accept it. Yeah, it would cancel out notes. Wow, I'll be doing too, I'll be doing a lot on this track. Go to another track of strings, do a lot on that track and go to another track with like a sign lead and try to court and all and stuff would be canceling out. It will glitch out, yeah, And I'm like, why is it doing that? And I got to think of the producer's name.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 1: He was producing for Tony Thompson. He was producing for Tony. He produced a song Let's Go Nando La Business. He produced that song and he was producing and I was like, I know I'm colding in this, nigga, but this sounds crazy, like what And he was like, are you doing too much? That's not how you That's not how you do that. And I just and I just remember sitting just trying to figure out how to pull it out of Antioch Baptist Church and get it to fit into this in PC sixty And that was my trial and in like being super simple, and then another and then another lesson listening to R.
Speaker 2: Kelly Yeah, facts, yeah, facts, listen to Kelly. I was like he simplified all of it and killed it.
Speaker 1: It was but it was like the marriage of everything is what made those songs crazy. It wasn't one standalone thing, it was all of it. You know what I'm saying. It's like it's like, I'm not gonna play right it. But but doom doom doom, doom doom doom yeah, m doom boom doom doom doom doom Yeah. Simple, we're not gonna play in a regular life. No, we're not playing. We're never doing We're never doing that. That idea. I was doing that when I was seven. I'm never gonna I'm going back there, never going back there. But all of that to get ship, this ship, ship, all that together at the same time. It was like magical, crazy, crazy, and that's what made me produce do Maybe I deserve the way I did it.
Speaker 2: Chasing after Him one of the greatest R and B songs ever. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: But but but not one, but not one standalone thing that nobody can do, not nothing on like you take either one of those things, whether it be the pan piano, whether it be the stick, whether it be the melody, whatever. Only thing that was unique to it was the story that it was personal to me. Outside of that, none of nothing, none of those things separated were blowing you away. I wouldn't have saying maybe I deserve to you just by itself acapelling anybody. Oh yeah, yeah, you would have said that, no, but all of them together.
Speaker 2: But and then it came from you, right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the that's the the personal life, the personalized part of it, to where it like my story then became everybody else's.
Speaker 2: Story, right, you know.
Speaker 5: But then going into what we were talking about as far as like the whole everyone is beneath me a musician, I had a homeboy that was like that mhm church church guy. And I remember the first time, I think me and you talked about it. First time I had mentioned Tank to him, he brushed Tank off this years ago. We just talked about you know, music gouts out and all, you know, different stuff. And I'm like, man, that dude two voices dope, like he got you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, this music is cool. He kind of like a regular church you know tenor you know, it's it's a million of him in church. I didn't grow up in church, so I'm like, damn for real, all right, But now it makes sense because with you scaling down and you not you know, throwing everything, throwing the kitchen stove at everything, and every song on that side of it.
Speaker 2: You're basic Yeah, you're basic, and it's.
Speaker 5: A trip to Now how you know where we have our conversations from the music side and the musician side and singers and all these other things, and how you know how the church sees it, how the you know what I mean, because those is the real musicians, y'all, the real guy. What y'all doing in there? Yeah, that's unreal, It's unreal.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Obviously it comes from God. You know what I'm saying, y'all, y'all raised up in something different. But a lot of those guys don't understand that to make it digestible for the world.
Speaker 2: It can't be that.
Speaker 4: Can't be that, because if it is that, you're going to get through a hundred dollars a Sunday. Yeah, I started off of like one hundred and and I was like thirteen fourteen.
Speaker 2: I started at twenty five, started off at twenty five dollars a week? Did you did you? Did you do rehearsals? Did you do herse? Everything? I did every five dollars ever wrote songs twenty five Okay, I wasn't. I wasn't. I was a small sess, small sess. You were singing and playing you singing and playing the same.
Speaker 1: I was doing every I was baby John p King John Junior, all love it. And then and then I played the drums on the drums too.
Speaker 2: I was the I was church. I was church musician one man. Hey, yeah yeah, whatever was ne what it was working you out for twenty five?
Speaker 1: What all the way? So let's go back there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great segue. Let's go back to the beginning. Started. Yes, d J, what were they calling you in church? I mean it was it was calling me because like so like DJ, because what's your real name? My real name is.
Speaker 6: Darryl Okay, so is it dar because that's the rail?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So what though?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you'll never get exactly crazy he set the tour up.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you got the wild spelling like you got Yeah, I got.
Speaker 4: A crazy spell him like it's like a very unique like you're never like I'll be like, yo, I bet you fight. I will never guess from my name, you know, all right, So so so I'll give you d a R.
Speaker 2: And then why Nope, it's gotta be a wife somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yes, the wise after the leady that you respect, No, I you have you have a silent you, because that's what you just say.
Speaker 2: You are. Hey, why why h O d A R H.
Speaker 1: Yeah the emphasis just walk in this thing.
Speaker 5: And if your name is d J, that means your daddy's name is Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: Ye Like yeah, they're gonna have something different with that.
Speaker 2: I'm like all right.
Speaker 4: I mean but like my mom wanted to name me Demetrius, so I'm like, no, no, no, I'm gonna take Darryl.
Speaker 2: That was cool. If you get yeah, oh my god, Trius. No, all the Demetrious is out there. You know what I'm saying, Like Paul, then yeah, name is me?
Speaker 7: Like no, definitely not road O Jesus, I would.
Speaker 1: Never call a nigga the name of Dimitrius what you just said, I.
Speaker 2: Will never nigga? Can I run up now? Just call me? No, No, you are.
Speaker 1: The whole name I call you. So obviously starting the church, and when was the first time somebody said to you, I said to you, said said to the senior, I said that boy right there, special man.
Speaker 4: So you know, growing up in church, it was it was every Saturday we had we had service. And then this is before I was playing on Sundays, you know, for money, because in my church, I was playing for free for the love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was my offering back to God, so you know it was it was just all right, cool, you know, it's all good. So my father was singing church, so he made me play the piano. Him and my grandmother. They made me do lessons. They made me get lessons, and I hated playing bro the beginning. I hated the piano.
Speaker 2: Bron did you learn how to read?
Speaker 4: They wanted me to learn how to read and play because my grandmother was she is, i mean still living a phenomenal singer. I mean she's crazy, like I mean like Ella Fitzgerald type crazy.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And then my father he can sing too, like they was calling him like baby Michael Jackson, you know, like when he was younger, at Jackson five and all that, he'll like go around with his little group like you know, like try State Area, go crazy, had everybody going crazy, or plays the guitar all of that. So he wanted me to you know, following the footsteps and all of that. So you know, I'm six, I hated, you know, but I still, for whatever reason, still you know, stuck with you. You know what I'm saying, so like seven eight nine, like I'm getting nice around ten No, like ten eleven.
Speaker 1: You're you're taking lessons but still playing.
Speaker 2: Yep, still playing. So like I'm learning both ways.
Speaker 4: I'm learning like Mozart and Beethoven, you know what I'm saying during the week, and then like on Saturday, bro It's John p Key has a call walker Donnie m cirk and Frad Handon commissioned the Whinings.
Speaker 2: You get me, you feel me.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, I'm getting I'm getting both at the same time.
Speaker 2: Okay, God, I'll see you outside.
Speaker 4: And then you know, he would sing solos in church and then like this' one particular time, I might have been about thirteen maybe fourteen, and like I followed him like he was singing, like I forget what song it was, but like a him and I followed him and this was the first time, like he was like, you know, my son, Like you did a good job following me tonight.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, this is crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, cool, I've been waiting, valid you know what I'm saying, Pops. I'm like, all right, cool, you know, all right, cool, I'm flowing now I understand it now and then from there on, like he was showing me, like like waking me up in the middle of the night, like playing me Earth when the fire, you know, playing me.
Speaker 2: You get some R and B T. Yeah, oh yeah, I'm getting all that. Oh yeah, ohio players.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like, you know, Parliament, like you know, he loved Parliament, he loved Earth win the Fire. Then on the Gospel Saw you know he'll play me Darryl Coley, Yeah, the Whinings Commission. It's like, you know, it just shaped my R and B to like what it is right now.
Speaker 2: So like you know, I got your home was music school hundred. It was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Are you still at thirteen fourteen still taking music lessons?
Speaker 2: No, I stopped around thirteen.
Speaker 1: But you went from six to thirteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lessons every day, I mean every every Monday. IMN sorry yeah yeah. And you're taking piano, just piano, yep, this piano.
Speaker 2: Do you still read now? A little? Like not as much, but like but.
Speaker 1: It developed something different in your in your movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. In my fingering, like you know.
Speaker 1: You can you can do a lot more with your pinky than.
Speaker 2: And then my stretch is crazy too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, music, make sure this has nothing to do a musician.
Speaker 2: Damn foods man. Hey he's a our adults. Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Sometimes so so Pops gives you, gives you the Pops gives you the staff of approval. You did well tonight. I was like, welcome, we welcome, welcome to the fold.
Speaker 4: Let's go to the studio. So we go to the studio, to the studio. Yah, yeah, my first time going to the studios.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was with him and he was like all right, you ready for the studio now. So I go to the studio with him. It was a spot like I think it was in brigand teen. It might have been ten minutes. So okay, So I'm from So I'm from May's Land in New Jersey, which is like twenty minutes from Atlantic City. But if I say I'm from is landing who works mays Land? So I say Atlantic City because I was there all the time anyway, So it was like that was like my like my home too. I ain't lying for real, So you know, Atlantic City. So from Atlantic City you have like different little like off little islands, little Strongs or whatever. Brigantine Margate you got Ventnor, so Brigantine was like ten minutes from Atlantic City, Okay, so like that's what the studio was at. So he's like, you know what you know, like you know, you did good. Let's let's go. Let's let's let's see what you got. So we had these songs. He had these songs, and like he needed like music, so he would just like pop songs, yeah, my pop pause artists. Yeah, but like he just didn't have an out. He didn't have the producer to take him there. So he was waiting on me then.
Speaker 2: Like now that I'm saying, I understand it now.
Speaker 4: Because like he didn't have it before because if he did, he would have been gone.
Speaker 5: So like now I wonder if your daddy got like a villain story have a nigga who didn't give him a track?
Speaker 2: Yeah, twelve years yeah, worry about it. My son, little direct, little little dehurls could be colder, watch your back. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I's got you and you about thirteen, Well I'm.
Speaker 2: About yeah, I'm about twelve thirteen.
Speaker 4: I'm so like probably twelve, maybe eleven eleven, probably between eleven thirteen, because like fourteen I got my first, like you know, my official professional like studio equipment and all of that.
Speaker 2: Then my first placement was at fifteen.
Speaker 4: Yea, yeah, so I'm sorry. I didn't mean to go there control but yeah, so like you know, like I'm making beasts from my dad, like you know, everything's live.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I'm doing. He's teaching me how.
Speaker 4: To like play the organ as far as like like the fields and like, you know, because piano, you know, like you could play at Choppie, Yeah, but in an organ it's kind of like smooth and all that, like butter So it's like he was like guiding me with that. So you know, it was you know, trial and error, but like more than anything like that father son moment was amazing.
Speaker 2: It was sound amazed. It was incredible. Bro. So so yeah, so you start producing.
Speaker 1: And get your real piece of what what was your first real piece of equipment?
Speaker 2: All right? Cool? Yeah, so I might have been I think I was like fourteen fifteen at the time.
Speaker 4: Uh I got my first it was it was I mean I was always like from the beginning, it was always fl studios. So I got that on the on the on the not the laptop, but like a hard like a like a computer like with with the like the monitor and all of that. So like I already had fl installed. I had like some little like saying song us like Samson sam s O N speakers or whatever. You had a little and audio controller had all the sounds in the world though, but you know, I'm fifteen.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to just figure it out.
Speaker 4: I had a partner at the time, you know, that was helping me make beats and all of that. His name is Infinity Crazy crazy crazy and to get other you know, we make a beat because I was already making beats. But I will always send it to him. I'm in school, I'll do my homework. I'm like a freshman, sophomore, you know, junior in high school, and I'm I'm making beats. But like this is at at this time the industry like where like how like when it was crazy it was at this time it was crazy in Atlanta, Like it was popular Atlanta. Oh four oh five of us or six, like you know, it was going nuts, bro. So like that's where he was living. So like I'm I'm I'm making beats, you know what I'm saying, like sending to him, Like yo, what you think? What you think he's turning to rite, you know, back around to me and adding adding things or whatever like that.
Speaker 2: Fifteen, I got my.
Speaker 4: First placement with Bawana Marion from the crib though I was at the crib making beats, going back and forth with him with ideas.
Speaker 2: So I'm going face off album. I did hood Star really yeah ship yeah yeah yeah, me and Infinity. He did a headstar Bro. So now I'm sick. We do not the Infinity we know? Right? Yeah? White yes, white and finished playing with me. What's something god? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah together we were a production. Due man, Bro, where are you at.
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: But like I talked to him for time of time? Man, good guy, good, super good to us. Yeah, amazing, yeah yeah, beautiful man, beautiful. First placement ever bro at fifteen. You know, so I'm going to school. You know, I'm a junior high school with a gold plaque, walking around like I won. Like I'm like, I'm you know you little Javonte Davis. You did it, yeah.
Speaker 2: Walking around I got the plaque. Yeah, you took the practice, you took the actual pact school. So guess what my name is? DJ right?
Speaker 4: So like look so so DJ right be going back. DJ is like if you know me, you can call me DJ.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, but like people like in the industry, they'll call me DJ Camper because like they think, like, you know, I'm a DJ or whatever. And it's like, but the ones that know me, you know me family, family did camper all day long. But it's like to like people that like don't, like they just outside looking in this.
Speaker 2: It's just camper. Uh. I'm trying to figure out why I said all of that just now because you took the black to school.
Speaker 4: Okay, So DJ at the time, Little Wayne had a song called.
Speaker 2: God This turned himself into the song. Yeah light lean back, like, bro, I'm just taking He thought he was doing it. He was doing it, doing it take a pall.
Speaker 6: But no the little WAYE know you.
Speaker 4: No, not yet, not yet, not yet, man, I can't wait to work with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, top five time for me all of that. So man.
Speaker 4: So like it's like, you know, because school starts to like seventh fifty, like eight oh five or something.
Speaker 2: Bro. So like we in school.
Speaker 4: My first period is Jim so you know I ball on him of course, you know how we do, bro, And then then and then the second period we gotta walk in the halls and like my class is like probably Like I was like where like.
Speaker 2: The street is at so we have to walk far, so at least like a three minute walk. Bro.
Speaker 4: I had my dude, I said, yo, look Pauls not not my dude, but like you know my boy. And I'm like, yo, bro, he got your speaker right, had a big old like like boom box bro, like one of them joints. She was like you put on your shoulder bro boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 2: You walked through with Yes, I'm like, how you doing? How you doing? Way? How you doing? I can see it days my d day. Bro.
Speaker 4: He was looking at me like yo, I'm like yo, man, did you see this coat?
Speaker 2: It was like you see what's going on right now? Like they was just.
Speaker 5: Like all right, like I never saw it before the other part this is what I you know mean, did you get pay for the record?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well okay your first place? What do you what do you get for your first place? Do you remember?
Speaker 4: I think I think they was calling us back then, me and me and me and me and.
Speaker 2: Like you was called full scale like that was our name. They was calling. They was calling but every but obviously it was it was his rate.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, because he did his leverage was he did, uh, please take me.
Speaker 2: As I am like, dang, yeah, you're going crazy.
Speaker 4: So like, you know, like he was all right, you know I got that. You know my feed right now, you know it's seventeen five. So they was calling him mister seventeen five.
Speaker 2: You know, seventeen probably nice. I like that. Y'all got seventeen five for we split that, bro. Let me tell you got eighty seven. Yeah, you know my first as a fifteen year old.
Speaker 1: My fifteen year old, my first placement when I got to l with two artists that never came out, but right, seventeen five apiece, So you were seventeen I was seventeen five. That was the number because sometime, you know, whole numbers circulating the industry, where like an industry standard for like you know, intro guys, guys who've done a little bit, like everybody will stay around a number. Seventeen five must have been the number.
Speaker 2: It must have been the number. It must have been like the just circulate the standard.
Speaker 5: But get you got you got to split that with somebody at fifteen, crazy crazy what did you buy?
Speaker 2: What did you buy?
Speaker 5: I got that coat that you told Yeah, your coat.
Speaker 2: I think I think I got my mom a little a little jeep with that. Yeah you know what say?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you know, like, oh yeah, I made sure my family was straight. I always do that when I get bread. Yeah, you know, like that's that's mandatory. I am a girl at the time, I was just chilling like I was fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you get the girl by the time you made it through the hall?
Speaker 4: I mean no, they was just probably they were just so like like just could believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they were stuck like damn, like yo, who like who? Like who is this?
Speaker 5: I'm like yeah, Like no, So nobody really knew you were producing and that type of stuff at school.
Speaker 4: No, No, like they didn't know. They didn't know I was doing it at that magnitude. They knew that I was talented. I was the type of person and you know when I go on tour, when I do my shows and stuff, I still may be like incorporated somehow, but like uh me, like like okay, like what's your favorite song right now?
Speaker 2: Whatever?
Speaker 4: Like like gi it out, let's say it. Or then but it's play on the spot. Ye works every time. It's like, oh man, it's crazy okay. And then like sometimes like they might stump me because I might not.
Speaker 2: Know the song. And then I'm like, you know what, let me hear it, let's play it, and then I'll just pick it up, like what else? What else? So hey, you know it's it's it's fun man, you know so.
Speaker 1: So so what is the next move? Are cracking? Y'all got your placement? What is the next moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me cracking.
Speaker 4: And then like we did some more stuff, like we did some stuff for Raven Simone. You know, she was shout the Raven you know what I'm saying, Like that was a beautiful moment. And then you know, we did some stuff for CHINGI saying, like we called a crazy one with the Backstreet Boys that was crazy up on This is Us album. No, I'm seventeen at the time, and then I got the call from r Kelly, from Robert himself.
Speaker 2: I'm seventeen, I'm a junior.
Speaker 4: I'm living with my mom and my you know, like my whole family. I'm at the crib, I'm making beats, I'm sending beats to Infinity like yo, He's like yo, you know, you know are looking for some joints.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. You know.
Speaker 4: Claude Kelly he down there killing it right now. This is when Clark Kelly was on his running back in seven o eight shot the claud and they like, yo, like yo, you got some tracks, bro, I had some crazy tracks. I'm like, man, heck yeah, like we out saw like you know, I got you Sola. I sent the pack through hit me back, me back, and was like yo, yeah, no, like he chose this one.
Speaker 2: He chose that one.
Speaker 4: So like seventeen years old, did a song Clark Kelly wrote it is called Echo Echoes the song everybody was going crazy at the time like that was.
Speaker 2: It was a crazy song.
Speaker 4: For him at the time, especially like you know, with Claud writing it and all of that.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was it was fire and then but that one I did by myself and then the other one banging the headboards is what I did.
Speaker 2: You know, me and Infinity did that together. Also.
Speaker 4: Claud Kelly wrote that as well. I was just like, man, this is crazy place. Oh raw, I'm not even eighteen. All right, cool? God, what's next? You know what I mean, I'm ready to go. I'm getting ready to graduate. So after I graduated.
Speaker 2: All this, he said, I'm getting ready to graduate. Yeah, I'm still like graduating.
Speaker 4: Still I graduated. That bro still playing on Sundays. You know what I'm saying, you know, going to prom you, I'm saying, you know, like rented the soup?
Speaker 2: You got bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know you got a bank account? Yeah? You know, Hey, man, God is good. You know what are you?
Speaker 5: Are you being under eighteen? Are you able to touch your money?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, it's coming to you. Yeah, because you know, obviously you're not.
Speaker 5: It's not like you're an actor or you wouldn't sign some record deal. Even it's like you're an independent contract.
Speaker 2: You're a producer.
Speaker 5: So it's not like somebody's overseeing your money or if it's going to get to you.
Speaker 2: So you can get into your.
Speaker 5: Money from the rip, Yeah, from the rip eighty seven fifty, getting your first place when that comes to you and your parents, let you div it up however you want to.
Speaker 2: Definitely, that's yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's letting me, you know, be grown, let me learn my my lessons early. You know what I'm saying. From now, thirty three. You know, I never do what I know did then. But it's beautiful because like they they knew all. I want to do what's helped them anyway, you know what I'm saying, Like you know my mom, you know it was one time she was crazy, bro, like a check came right in the niggad time. Like my mom, she was hot in the van because I was about to get repoll or whatever, so she had the money to get it, but she's waiting for a check or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know when it was gonna come. And then they took the van.
Speaker 4: They finally found the van, took the van, and then the next the next day she was crying that day. Next day I got a check. I'm like, oh yeah, let's go, let's go buy a car boom. Don't worry about that. What's next.
Speaker 2: So it's like, you know, you be faithful over a few things. Talk to talk or many talk to what I'm saying, I ain't playing.
Speaker 4: R and B money, Yeah yeah, that's literally yeah, facts like doing what we love and love what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Beautiful thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, because that's in a sense, that's our that's us getting drafted. Yes, that is our draft. You know, I mean our first check, you know what I mean, Like we become when you become a professional in this thing, like when you literally are getting royalties. Are a producer's check or an advance?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: These are you know, it's equivalent, you know what I mean. So being able to just say, you know, mill, let's go get this.
Speaker 1: Cars, nothing more beautiful, nothing that's insane, right, So listen, she got you buying cars, you know, Backstreet Boys, Kelly, like all before graduate, before graduation. I mean, yeah, your discography is getting extensive at a very young age. I mean, what is next after that? You graduated high school? And what is your first move?
Speaker 2: I go to Atlanta. As soon as you get about you get right into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I had like it was like project graduation. It's like a thing they like the kids do and after the graduation, it's a party. So we we partied like it's nineteen ninety nine. Free chick fil A sandwiches. You know what I'm saying, you guys to do that, yeah, free chick A talking about it was crazy chick fil A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out chick a jingle let me tell you Ready, produced by Kept save by R and B money.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm talking about closed on Sundays, gonna pay YouTube.
Speaker 1: They see our hearts, they know they don't want to so you hear hot Atlanta Ya.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and eight, eighteen eighteen yearseduces. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Oh Chris High School, you know, fucking pride. Hey, I'm in Atlanta now, you know, goodbye mom. You know it was crazy because it was like, you know, like help my mom, how there? It's my first first time away from the crib.
Speaker 2: You know, never left.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I never left, not by myself, not for that. Like I mean I would go like spring break, you know, like uh like Christmas breakings, all of that type of stuff. Like I would go to Atlanta to work for the weekend, come back, but like this time, I'm going for like at least the summer.
Speaker 2: Did you find a place before you went?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was either staying with Infinity or my manager at the time, Like she said, I can just crash at her apartment because she had an extra apartment there.
Speaker 2: So like either way, I was good. Yeah. Shout out to Lana Night as my first manager.
Speaker 6: First manager, my first.
Speaker 2: Yeah man had taught me a lot taught me a lot. That's crazy. Yep. So I was there for the summer, and man, I was just getting to it, like we were just getting.
Speaker 4: To it every day every day, like it was crazy, like studio, Wili House.
Speaker 2: Have a spot studio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were working at the Artist Factory. So I'm running into p J. Morton like I'm running into rock City, you know, to Tron, like I'm running into like uh Javan, I'm seeing him. His room was next door to mine. I'm like, man, this dude is so crazy. Like every day I'm like, I'm like, what's up?
Speaker 2: What you want to do? Like me and him was spare all the time.
Speaker 4: It was amazing Tasio mad scientists, you know, like he was a crazy producer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, like it was on fire back then. I was. I'm I'm amongst all of.
Speaker 4: This as a rookie, like all right, eighteen years old, eighteen, like like fresh, like what we're doing. So, you know, I was just grinding it out and just seeing, you know, like you know, what was shaped from it?
Speaker 2: What was the first thing to ship When I'm trying to remember, I'm trying to remember, trying to remember out.
Speaker 4: There, out there, honestly, bro, like we did a whole bunch of music out there, but like nothing really like popped off, like like like I didn't get no like singles or nothing like that.
Speaker 2: Maybe some album cuts, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, but I was, I was in with everybody, but like you know, like nothing was like actually sticking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it was. It was when you look back at it now though, mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: Why do you think that as a seasoned producer, do you not do you feel like you maybe you weren't ready yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean yeah, I feel like okay, yeah I don't. I feel like no.
Speaker 2: I'm ready now, like I'm doubt oh man.
Speaker 1: But just looking at back looking from your side now.
Speaker 2: Yeah back yeah, so back then.
Speaker 4: The reason why I say that because I know the feeling now being ready and like back then, like it was a whole different, completely different ball game, and I was trying to figure out what the sound was and how to perfect my sound back then.
Speaker 2: Back then, it's a whole.
Speaker 4: Bunch of pop stuff for on the floor type of stuff, so like you have to find.
Speaker 2: The right Yeah.
Speaker 5: I watched so many dope R and B producers chase that bag. Yeah, that imaginary bag because that bag wasn't there. For everyone watched a lot of these people shift their whole sound, who are really talented in their space.
Speaker 2: Chase, they was banging on that Chase Bro Danger Tim. They understood it, black eyed p what it was.
Speaker 1: But it was so heavy. It was like, well, I am Stargates, Stargate. It was like I want to taste people that people just wanted to wet their bigs. But it was just it was a far run. Yeah, you have to run far to get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Every time we had a meeting, a label meeting with an R Forwards, they would always say four on the floor, four on the floor, on the floor. So every time we make a beat that's full on the floor like nothing, like nothing.
Speaker 2: Was like sticking.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, man, what is it? I'm like man, So I would just go to the studio and just do what I love. I would just make beats how I want to make beats and like y'all just falling along like you know, and then whatever happens happens. But like you know, I wasn't. I didn't really get a lot that I can remember a lot of success didn't really just a lot of lessons and a lot of learning.
Speaker 2: And yes, during that time, I was playing at churches.
Speaker 4: I found the church a church, musicians church, and then like we did a song for like you know, some like like indie artists out there, you know, like you know, like we were getting checks, but like it wasn't like making them last. Yes, making them last and you know, helping paying rent and all of that type of stuff, and you know, just trying to just figure it out where.
Speaker 1: You you know, because you said Atlanta, you know, I know what he wanted. I know a lot about it where you were. You're having a good time.
Speaker 2: Because she was only eighteen too.
Speaker 4: So like this is when three hundred the Bowling Alley was popping back then, I think it was called three hundred, and like they had like I mean it was like parties every weekend. Like it was like you was able to get into that kind of kind of because I was I mean like the parties, yeah, but like the clubs I couldn't really get into because I was eighteen and I wasn't really drinking like that then. So it was like I was like just like the cool church kid that you know. I was happy to be here. I was smoking I.
Speaker 2: Know where you were.
Speaker 4: I'm like, d girls is nice. Yeah, what I'm saying, like, you know, nice scenery, good food. I was that type of person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was actually enjoying the city. Yeah, I was enjoying it.
Speaker 1: If I was eighteen, I probably I would have been the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would have figured out a way to sneak no way. No, I didn't even had a drink yet. Yeah, she was still at home.
Speaker 1: I'm still at home too, what I mean even you.
Speaker 2: Hadn't gotten to Atlanta yet.
Speaker 1: No, No, I ain't got I mean, but I was in my in my mind and my spirit. I was still in the same place he was. I would have went to Atlanta, found a church.
Speaker 2: Every night at eighteen, I didn't know what club. Every night.
Speaker 6: Every night we called it the office. We would go the strip club.
Speaker 5: We would look around because I ain't had no money, look around, and I write songs about what I thought I saw.
Speaker 6: What it could possibly be.
Speaker 5: Because I was never that I'm in love with the stripper guy. I wasn't, you know, I mean, I I was. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I was never that guy.
Speaker 6: But I you know, I love the body of a woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah for that, you know, what I mean.
Speaker 5: So for me being eighteen years old, and that's like the one thing you can get into. They'll let you in the strip club, at least in LA. I don't know about nowhere else. When I first came to La, like it's eighteen years old, Like I go, that's the club I can get into.
Speaker 2: I hold to where every night I need this twenty dollars to get.
Speaker 5: Me in, and then I'm going to meet the girls that work there and they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna let me in.
Speaker 5: I'm going to get in somehow, you know what I mean. So, yeah, I wrote a lot of songs. Yeah, a lot of songs.
Speaker 2: Yes, So how long did you say that? Just for the summer? I think? And then you didn't fully move? No, No, I went back, and then.
Speaker 4: I was just being led to go to like in a different direction as far as like you know, I was growing, and I was just like, man, all right, cool, you know, maybe I can just you know, like branch off and like just fly solo.
Speaker 2: So like that's what I did from that point on. When I got back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, when I got back, So I'm like, you know, I was like yo, but you know, I holler at you if I need any questions or whatever, like you know, sounds like you know, you're like you used toll my boys. So it's all good today day, Yeah, yep, it was time to move on, but it was like to this day, like you know, we're still friends in that's dope.
Speaker 2: So I go home, man, you know, I'm just like, all right, God, what's up?
Speaker 4: You know, like like where we at, what we're doing because I was trying to figure out new management all of that type of stuff. So you know, so I'm by myself and then now I'll run into a guy by the name of tyro Bing. Tyro Bing was a part of eight seventy two Corner Boys Yeah back yeah, and he's from Atlantic City. So like he took me under the wing and he was just like, you know, like this is what it is, this is what it's not. You know what I'm saying, Like, you know, showed me around, like showed me the ropes because like, you know, he moved to Atlanta as well, so like you know, like he knew it and all of that. So you know, every time I would go to Atlanta at that time, I would you know, hang out with him, be with him, and he'll show me, you know things, and so like, you know, I signed with them with him a seventy two Entertainment and you know, he was managing me and all of that, and you know, he was trying to just figure out, you know, like the next big move for me. At the time, he had tiny Sha Kelly, so I was working on her a lot. And you know, my first time going to LA I think was I think I might have been eighteen nineteen.
Speaker 2: And when I went, like.
Speaker 4: It was just so like it was just like so new for me, like, oh my god, like what's all of this? And I was with Tyrrell and I was with Tinyia Kelly, so like, you know, I'm going with her to the spot, pick up her check. You know, I'm saying, she goes to a rehearsal. I'm like the whole artist life and all that. It was dope.
Speaker 2: So you know, being with him was cool, like it was a great experience.
Speaker 4: And you know, like from the crib, you know, I definitely was like, man, like this is a dope person to be around to learn a game from, you know what I'm saying. And then that ren its course, and then I was trying to figure out what I was trying to do after.
Speaker 5: That you would like to go to for the female R and B artists too.
Speaker 2: I mean you've Mary J. Blige when Rian Carey her.
Speaker 1: Her is, let's stop at her, Let's stop okay, let's stop right there. You stop there, okay, because you ep on that. Yeah, he's e a few, it's not just stop there. Yeah, okay, okay, okay, let's let's get there.
Speaker 2: Let's get there because those are muscle listens. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: If you are if you are an R and B fan, mhmm, and you don't have her Volume one, Volume two in your playlist in your playlist first.
Speaker 5: EP to ever win a Grammy in my that I know of. I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't trust your ear, your R and B conversation, I don't trust.
Speaker 2: I don't trust it about you. It's R and B.
Speaker 1: If you don't have those two projects real.
Speaker 2: That's real. Stop arguing with tanking the comments.
Speaker 1: If you don't have what I'm saying, if you don't have those, you can't argue with me in the comments.
Speaker 2: Exactly it is, Oh yeah, so how did I how to? How did what does that start? What does that start?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How do relationship. So uh, shout out to Jeff Robinson. You know what I'm saying, you know what I mean. Yeah, yeah, like the guru.
Speaker 4: You know, like if he ain't gonna do anything, man, he gonna put a play together, like you know. So he hit my manager at the time, Natalie and and it was like, yo, yeah, we gotta get Camper. You know, you gotta get Camper down to the studio, man know in New York. You know, we gotta have him pull up. Like all right, cool, come cool. You know I got this young girl, you know, Gabby, you know, Gabby Wilson. You know, like be trying to figure it out with her and all of that, and you know, I guess they tried to work with other producers and all of that and nothing really Like I'm like, all right, cool, you know if I like her, then you know, like we'll see you know. So at the time, I'm still living in Jersey, so like, you know, I ain't driving to New York. So I hopped on the Greyhound. It's like twenty five dollars, two and.
Speaker 2: A half hours. You're there, boom. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So, you know, I'm trying to figure it out, you know, because I'm still trying to make money. I'm still trying to like you know, like catch a like catch a break like for real at this point because it's like, you know, I had to deal but like that, that money was so.
Speaker 2: Still waiting for the next time. Yah, oh my god. Right, but already feel the require.
Speaker 4: I mean only otis every every week exactly what we're talking about, right there, Get back to work. Yeah, okay, cool? So now a right cool? So now I'm head to New York. I'm going to New York. I meet up with her instant, instant, instantly blown away, playing playing, singing, and I'm just like, man, oh yeah, no, she crazy, she got it. Where do we start? Matter of fact, y'a could leave a room. We can start now, right. So we just started.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 4: She had like this idea on a piano, you know what I'm saying, like these four core passes. I played them how she wanted me to, you know what I'm saying, and then I put the beat behind it. You know, that song was called Losing. That was the first song we ever did, losing, the first record, Yeah, Losing, and that's on Value one.
Speaker 2: I know the record.
Speaker 6: That's why I asked you that way. I'm like, yo, that's the first record.
Speaker 2: Came on, so crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, man, like yo, her melodies her deliverance, Like you know, we just had a real conversation like it just like yo, like what can we do that hasn't been done? Like what can we do that can shock in awe? Like what can we do to make that change and to make that stay?
Speaker 2: What year is this?
Speaker 4: This is like twenty man, this might be like twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen. Wow, yeah at the time, and like and yeah, so like you know, it started with losing and then like you know, she wanted to work every day. So like I was in New York at least like three teens four times twenty fourteen, twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Twenty fourteen, because it didn't come out to twenty sixteen. Okay, yeah, yup. So we've been at it.
Speaker 4: We've been trying to figure out how to like market her and how her rebrand could be.
Speaker 2: And that was a whole Jeff Robinson because they even were they even calling Gabby her at that point.
Speaker 4: No, I was still Gab. She was You're still Gabby Wilson performing at SOOBS.
Speaker 5: Yeah, excuse me, and because that's what I was familiar with. Yeah, and obviously she's from the Bay, so I only knew her as I knew super talented young girl from the Bay, Gabby Wilson.
Speaker 2: I knew crazy yup, very talented.
Speaker 4: She just needed, like you know, that's just just that hedge of protection around her to really like take it there musically and have that like that marriage with someone that could really like like take her there, you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And like and we were like a matchmate of heaven at that time. It's like we couldn't do no wrong. We pumped out everything like say it again, way for all. That was like almost every other day, like it was a hit. That's chemistry to this day unmatched. It's like where you at you went in crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you were heard Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis, Yeah you are yeah to me way yeah.
Speaker 6: To this day, it's a full locking yeah going towhere.
Speaker 1: That went crazy all right, camp brother, you know you hey man, you turning your he's turning your sounds on you too.
Speaker 2: You're doing man flat flas just enough to you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I got twenty five yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, come Onrrold.
Speaker 2: Yes, SIRT, d J, H y M. Camper.
Speaker 1: You've had your share of taking keys musical influences.
Speaker 2: Yes, talk about it. And we want to hear about your top five, your top.
Speaker 5: Five, top five, top.
Speaker 1: Five, your top five rm DS single.
Speaker 2: And song? Did Camper?
Speaker 5: Hella?
Speaker 2: He has?
Speaker 1: I promise you, he's he's done, he's gone, he's.
Speaker 2: Yes, whoa yeah who Now.
Speaker 5: Your top.
Speaker 2: Five sounds so so for don't you agree? Don't you agree? And the T D flat TJ Camper talk to me.
Speaker 1: Your top five R and B artists detter live back then, now come on with it, Come on, you make the call.
Speaker 2: But she only got five, you only got five? Five sinkle, my friend a sinkle Sinkle. All right, bet Minnie Houston, start.
Speaker 6: There, We're gonna start and start there, starting.
Speaker 4: And Jersey strong again strong, but we could stay at Whitney another Jersey queen, Lauren Hill?
Speaker 2: Why not? You're acting up?
Speaker 4: Can Stevie Wonder? Brandy Michael Jackson?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 4: Come on?
Speaker 2: Man? Why not?
Speaker 1: Your top five R and B songs?
Speaker 2: All right? As we lay wow, I know you was playing. I forgot about.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow as we were he came up here in that purple correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nigga, you just be up with that. Lay my god, what a song. What a song, Drew Hill, I love you? Oh yeah. At first I'm like, wait, I love you, oh my god, exactly.
Speaker 6: That's that song is cold? What that's first album?
Speaker 2: Man? Is that first album? That's the first album. I don't know, bro, Sierra promise.
Speaker 4: Really great record. Wow, yeah that's going here. That's the Elvis man that the production, the bridge like and like you know, and like.
Speaker 6: The black Elvis, yeah, the black.
Speaker 4: One, because that bridge was different. Only black Elves could do that bridge that in that top box. Now, Like I was like, dang, you don't know my name? Elicia, Yeah, come on her, Lily yeah, Lily. Big Brother every book under the son Harrid, he read everybody, He's read it.
Speaker 2: You know, he's gonna send me everything. You know. I love Big Bro.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, Superstar Usher yeah, Ryan Toby Yeah, Ryan Toby Bro, Ryan Toby Yeah.
Speaker 2: Crazy yeah, Drama.
Speaker 4: Down Philly, my Philly brother going crazy like that super Crazy man man. Yeah, it just hit home, you know what I'm saying, Like like the bridge, like the.
Speaker 2: Challenge, yeah, like you know, what I'm saying all that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna make your R and B vultron. Okay, you're going to make a super artist. We want to know where you're going to get the vocal from, the performance style, from the styling from and the passion the heart.
Speaker 2: Of the artists.
Speaker 1: Anybody, I can anybody, anybody. So if you're gonna name one artist to put on your super R and B artists would vote, where you gonna get that vocal from the.
Speaker 2: Voice has to be Whitney Houston. We're going there.
Speaker 4: We're going to dance with everybody, not just somebody. We dance with everyone. Performance style, performer style on that stage. Michael Jackson, why not? Yeah, the styling of the artist that dripped. Who put that on with artists? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Stadium, stadium close, you know yeah and they mind yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody else with me me? That's crazy? Like this game? Uh, I like it. I like it. I like it. Who get the passion of the artists from the heart of the artists? Hm hmmm, who mean it? Beyonce mm hmm. Everywhere she made it when she gets on on that stage. Sure, it's a different type of passion.
Speaker 1: She's gonna make sure you know one hundred of these. These were fourteen hour rehearse like, yes, exactly, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, easy, easy, easy, this whole thing. Yeah, this is the coffee to understand what happens to six cups of coffee too?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent no sleep, yeah none, that's great. You did well. I love it well. And he's going back to the piano that was on my brother. What I'm saying with the lights up, it's not every day this happens. Man. You know I'm sucking and all that. Come on, talk to me. I heard that too with the head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't have a dimmer on your side of Yeah, we ain't going with this thing.
Speaker 1: Come on, I'm saying no name time, no names, saying no names.
Speaker 2: He was what you did, you don't say I ain't saying no names. Yeah, yeah, you showing out.
Speaker 8: Catching it man, man, no names, tell them, tell the roots story, funnier, fucked up, funny and fucked up, the travels d J.
Speaker 2: Campber and this music thing that we got. Man, we know you didn't.
Speaker 5: Seen it and done it and experienced it and witnessed it. But the one thing that DJ Camper cannot do. It's saying no names. D J Camper, stay focused, hear me, Go go turn on some Marven, get you some shot. If you really trying, if you're really trying to get into it, if you want to, if you want to, if you want a number one. Yeah, this you should probably go do. But make sure you don't say no name. Come on, my brother, I'll keep it.
Speaker 2: Cute man. You know what I'm saying. I see you. You know what I'm see you keep it. I'm gonna keep it. Come on, come on, but.
Speaker 4: I ain't gonna say no names. You know what I'm saying. I'm I'm I get invited to this session. It's my session though, but like it's another producer and an artist. So like they told me at the start time, what's gonna be. Like, let's say it was three o'clock, three pm.
Speaker 2: It's in New York. You know, I'm coming from Atlantic City on the bus again.
Speaker 4: You was really hopping to right, yeah, because bro, like there's no there's no studios of course, studios in Lang City, you know, and you gotta go to Philly, which is forty five minutes away to record. But if they don't want to come to Philly. You gotta go to New York and y see, you have Midtown. You gotta forty second Street right there.
Speaker 2: Figure it out, and yeah, figure it out. And that's what I did.
Speaker 4: I will hop on the ground, you know what I'm saying, And I would just I will go up and do my sessions and now I will come back home.
Speaker 2: So the start time was three o'clock.
Speaker 4: I get there. You know what I'm saying. I'm waiting. I'm waiting like the engineers there. You know what I'm saying. You know it's four o'clock. My god, cool, I wait. I'm hungry. I'm like, but I don't want to leave you because you know, they can walk in any minute, because it started at three o'clock, five o'clock, come around six o'clock seven, I'm still sitting there.
Speaker 2: Getting disrespectful.
Speaker 1: Are you hungry?
Speaker 2: You haven't eaten? Starving gay bro? Yeah I have.
Speaker 4: I don't want to lead because if I lead, I don't want to like miss the opportunity because I was still like it was that time where I was still trying to like, you know, like get acquainted and improve myself, like be accountable and.
Speaker 2: All of that yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, sir, yes, sir, like I'm awake, And six o'clock came, seven, six o'clock came. You know what I'm saying, people in the back. Seven pm came, eight pm, nine o'clock. I'm bro. I'm like, I don't know why it didn't dawned me to like just make music, you know what I'm saying. But I would, you know, because like I wasn't leading the session, so I was like I was more so like the key player, but like I had my laptop with me too, just in case, like you know, they wanted some drum stuff, but like just in case, I was prepared for whatever. So like maybe around like ten thirty, bro artist walks in, the producer walks in. They got food with them, like they went to a restaurant, all type of cheese cakes and over yo like vanilla flavorite like cupcake, ice cream and cookies and stuff and like for them, for them, I'm still sitting there. They walking in, they playing, they playing music. She hops in the booth.
Speaker 2: They laughing for like ten fifteen minutes. Oh before like they walked in, like oh hey, what's up? Like you know how you they did speak to you they spoke okay, but that was it. It wasn't like sorry, I'm late, I've been you know, it wasn't any of that. It was like, you know, they was like, would you hear.
Speaker 6: When did you get here? Hey last year? Like what you mean?
Speaker 4: So I was like, I was, here's three o'clock. Oh my god, I'm so sorry, like all of that. My god, it's cool. She hopping in a booth, she doing a song to a previous session that has nothing to do with me, And I'm like, oh man, so I'm basically just out here, not doing anything, not even working on a song, not even like participating. Like so like that was like a dam that's fucked up type of story. You know, you just have to get on the bus and go.
Speaker 2: And I went home. I went home that night. On the next day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just still sitting there like nothing like waiting for like the coach should be like it's time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, none of that happened. So I was just they're still hungry. Never time. Yeah. They didn't ask you if you want something an.
Speaker 4: Nothing, Nope, didn't ask you for my opinion, not not not not not not no beats, not not nothing, not.
Speaker 2: Anything, not even was it even his track.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was his track, Like he could have definitely was like he could have definitely like yo like something, yeah, something like you know what I'm saying like that the song was cool, Like I don't know what the song came out to this day, you know what I'm saying. But it's like you could have been like yo, like you know there, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I can came for them.
Speaker 2: Did you ever know you? Did you ever work with them? Again? I don't, I don't. I don't think.
Speaker 4: So it's crazy because we had success with her prior because she did a single and it went crazy and then to get back in and to get back in yeah like they they yeah it went like that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't understand. How's it going like that? I don't. I don't get it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that was kind of crazy, bro, Like I could have been home, you know what I'm saying. Chilling, But like I wasted my time like that people time I was young, you know, I mean, so I was like, you know, I guess this is part of rolling with the punches, but like, yeah, I waited for like eight hours in that studio, not doing the god dang thing, but.
Speaker 5: The flip side of that too, though, Is that in your position now, you would never do that anymore?
Speaker 2: I would never Yeah, I would never do it. Yeah. Yeah, you would never do that to something Yeah no, no, no, no no, because and you're in the lead position now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that is what we ultimately have to do. Yeah, stay in this thing, become who we need to become, and then change how.
Speaker 2: It goes facts. That's it, Yeah, exactly, that's that's that's it, bro. You know what I mean. Treat people better. Yeah, you know what I mean. You know, and you know it did. It has to become fuel. Yeah, exactly, it's all it's been to look at it.
Speaker 4: It's all it's been all these years, and I'm I'm just ready to, like, you know, light that torch up and go crazy like the fire is now.
Speaker 2: Like about to say you you going crazy? I feel like Kobe though, like job being finished.
Speaker 4: I'm ready for it all. Like whoever wants this, you know what I'm saying. I'm looking at that camp right here. Come to the camp.
Speaker 2: Come to the camp. It's time.
Speaker 1: Come to the camp. Give whatever you need it, camp it, come on, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They camp Overnight Summer Camp summer camp. You know what's crazy?
Speaker 4: So yo, So all right, so I'm I'm I'm doing my first, uh my first festival back in Atlantic City on giving Back. It's gonna be needed for Atlantic City. It's gonna be so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Man. I definitely need you out of that summer camp you're doing. You're doing it this summer next we send it up. Appreciate you can.
Speaker 1: Catch us as summer camp next Summer City. Guess sir, that's how it's.
Speaker 2: Done, Yes, sir, the authority uh d J.
Speaker 1: Camper Man. You're killing you are No, you're you're you're You're a monster, bro, Thank you man. And that's not like you know, you're not an industry monster like you know, the the the you you are now able to you know, to stunt and poke your chest out, you know, based on the success that you've had in the industry, but outside of that, before of that even took place, you we're a monster. Yeah, yeah, monster of a talent, monster of a human being. Always always good energy, the same good energy every time.
Speaker 2: We just laugh every time we see you. Every just smile and laugh on everything, no matter where we are, don't matter.
Speaker 1: To find a joke in you know what I'm saying, like or find the church in it. You know what I'm saying right right, It's always been that, man, And and you know we are on this good guys finished first kind of thing.
Speaker 2: That's what we're on now.
Speaker 5: I'm proud of you, bro, Yeah, I'm proud of I mean, the first time I met you, I didn't know you a producer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I met you right at the fake at the fake fake work run. I'm just like, I like it.
Speaker 5: The nigga crazy keeps shooting the ball from half court. That damn mom, I'm gonna do that, bro, And he made a couple of them.
Speaker 2: You know, I like it. A crazy nigga to shoot from there, but I like it. I got it.
Speaker 5: But I'm seriously I'm proud of you than you what you've done and how you've done it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: You you went about it in a in a really cool way. You don't hear nobody speaking your name and nothing but positive ways, thank God, man. And that's how we're supposed to move in this thing.
Speaker 4: And coming from yr is one of the best uh compliments and words that I can get. And I really appreciate that about y'all for life, man, you definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah campellation.
Speaker 4: Away the way. Yeah, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Valentine and this is the only money podcast authority on all.
Speaker 2: Things R and B.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you are you are only witnessing the beginning of what is going to be a masterful career and meaning for success. Keep going DJ campon Yeah Money.
Speaker 5: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 5: Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at j Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com or slash R and B Money