Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts perdus this it's the Daily Chick with your Holy Jordan Clepper.
Speaker 4: On today is John Jordon Klepper.
Speaker 5: We got so much to talk about tonight, Biden.
Speaker 6: Says, by pundits have some explaining to do, and a war breaks out over who ended the war. So let's get into headlines. Let's kick things off with Donald Trump. Today was a big day for the once and future president.
Speaker 5: Picture Day.
Speaker 6: He took the official photo that will be hanging up in DMVs and airports all over the country. So let's see what sunny face will be staring at for the next four years.
Speaker 4: Oh man, man, you know what the wild thing is?
Speaker 5: This was the Now let's do a silly one.
Speaker 6: Whoa, there's also another person who's taking his photos down from the White House, Joe Biden. A lot of people are worried about a second Trump presidency, so last night's farewell address was a chance for the president to offer the nation some comfort.
Speaker 3: President Biden, in his final farewell address from the Oval Office, delivered a stunning warning to the nation on his way out.
Speaker 7: The potential rise of a tech industrial complex. I could pose real dangers an oligarchse taking shape in America of extreme wealth, power and influence that literally threads our entire democracy.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, thanks for the encouragement, mister President. I'm shitting my pants and comfort.
Speaker 6: Look, I know you've only got a few days left, but don't just give us problems.
Speaker 4: Maybe offer some solutions.
Speaker 6: You know, there's a dangerous threat of oligarchy from a rich elite, and that's why I'm partnering Luigi MANGIONI.
Speaker 4: Don't get a timer stick falling stick calling news.
Speaker 6: Yes, Biden used his last speech as president to warn us about a new American oligarchy, and you can tell the message hit home because of how many people, and this is true, how many people immediately went to Google to search what is oligarchy, and weirdly, Google responded, don't worry about it. It turns out you don't need to google oligarchy to understand what it actually looks like. Just tune into the inauguration this Monday.
Speaker 3: The NBC News is now reporting that Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Mark Zuckerberg will all three attend Donald trum Trump's inauguration next week.
Speaker 8: The CEOs of Apple and Google will be there.
Speaker 4: Sam Moltman from Open.
Speaker 1: Ai TikTok ceo show too.
Speaker 4: He was invited to sit on the day is where former presidents and family traditionally sit.
Speaker 9: OOO.
Speaker 5: That is right, Facebook's at the inauguration.
Speaker 6: Google, Amazon, the CEO of Zoom will be there wearing a suit top, short bottles.
Speaker 5: CEO of Uber will.
Speaker 6: Be there in two minutes, maybe five minutes, you know what. They're looking for a new CEO. Even the CEO of Vine will be there. I mean he'll be panhandling outside, but.
Speaker 3: He'll be near near there.
Speaker 6: The inauguration guests. This can't just be billionaires who get off reading your dms. There has to be more. I mean, who else is Trump inviting to watch him take the oath of office.
Speaker 1: Performing at Trump's inauguration will be familiar names from his campaign, including Kid Rock, Lee Greenwood, and the Village People.
Speaker 10: First responders from Butler County, pen Slovania, where Trump survived that first assassination attempt, will march in the parade, and the Maga garbage truck that went viral during the campaign will reportedly hit the streets of Washington, d C. During the Inauguration Day parade.
Speaker 6: Whoa Trumps bringing back all the characters from the campaign, Like it's the Seinfeld finale.
Speaker 5: We're gonna be watching from home.
Speaker 6: Like, look, it's the cats and dogs from spring Field and they're wearing Trump's heir bandage.
Speaker 5: I mean, they're even bringing the garbage truck.
Speaker 6: He used it as a prop in one campaign stunt, and now it's going to be in the parade. It's not even going to drive itself. It's going to ride in the back of a limmo. I mean now that this garbage truck is a maga celebrity, the sky is the limit. It's gonna get its own right wing podcast, join the White House staff and every Trump sickaphan is going to start sucking up to it. And finally reporters will catch the truck getting a hand job from Kimberly Gilfoyle and the Rose Garden.
Speaker 4: Tail as old as time.
Speaker 6: But I will say this, an inauguration list must be so embarrassing for anyone who didn't get an invite. I mean, Sean Spicer is gonna be like, does anyone know if the garbage truck has a plus one. You know, let's move on, because while the new presidency is about to begin, there's a frenzy of activity happening at the end of the current presidency. Yesterday, President Biden announced a breakthrough in the war in the Middle East, phase one of a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. And what I've found really uplifting is that we finally sealed the deal. New reporting this morning that there was extraordinary cooperation between the outgoing and incoming administrations.
Speaker 11: The New York Times reports there was coordination between both presidential teams and that each directed their advisors to work together to push Israel and Hamas over the finish line.
Speaker 5: Look at this, Look at this, you see this. This is truly inspiring.
Speaker 6: Two administrations, two rivals, working together to make the world a better place, focusing on what's important, creating peace in the world, not petty fights over who gets the credit?
Speaker 4: Does this deal belong to Biden or Trump?
Speaker 1: Who do you give credit to?
Speaker 4: It could not have.
Speaker 3: Happened without Trump.
Speaker 1: This is President Biden's negotiation.
Speaker 11: If Donald Trump wasn't elected in November, none of this would have been happening.
Speaker 5: This credit goes to Joe Biden. Joe Biden, not one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: That's not fair pay.
Speaker 4: Well, come on, what is all this arguing about.
Speaker 6: There's enough credit for everyone who deserves it, the presidents, the diplomats, and most importantly, everyone who changed their profile picks.
Speaker 5: You're welcome.
Speaker 6: Hey, what else do you expect from the media. Stirring up drama is their thing. I'm sure the two statesmen at the heart of the negotiations are content to share the credit.
Speaker 11: President Elect Trump wasted no time angling for credit on the ceasefire deal we've been talking about this morning, posting on his social media site that quote, this epic cease fire agreement could have only happened as a result of our historic victory in November.
Speaker 9: How much credit do.
Speaker 6: You give to the troph team for this deal?
Speaker 9: Troupe's have been taking credit for it?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, this is the exact framework of the deal I propose back in May.
Speaker 3: Exact.
Speaker 6: First off, Joe, I don't think that's the brag you think it is. Everyone's been ignoring this thing since May. Then something happened.
Speaker 3: I don't know. And Donald, can you just.
Speaker 5: Throw this man a bone?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 5: Haven't you done enough to poor Joe?
Speaker 6: You took his second term, you took his legacy, You took his wife to go see baby Girl together. Can you just share a little credit with him? But guys, a little perspective here. The important thing isn't who gets credit. The important thing is that after over a year of war, we finally have a ceasefire.
Speaker 5: A new wrinkle in the hostage ceasefire deal.
Speaker 6: Israel's war cabinet a short time ago to lay a vote to officially ratify the deal because they say Hamas has renegged on some parts of the agreement. Like I said, the important thing is we thought about having a ceasefire.
Speaker 4: And what a fun couple of hours it was.
Speaker 6: For more analysis on the ceasefire deal, we turned to Desi Lidek and Michael Costa, Like I want to start with you, Michael, Michael, isn't it a counterproductive to be debating credit and picking sides?
Speaker 12: It sure is, Jordan, because all the credit belongs to Donald Trump. He gets the credit, give him all the peace points. He's an unhinged madman who threatened to unleash hell. It goes to show completely, It goes to show that completely over the top threats work.
Speaker 1: You don't believe me, I'll annihilate you. I hate my life and I've got nothing to lose.
Speaker 13: Michael, You've got plenty to lose, including this argument, because this was all Biden. Trump's just a little kid thinking he opened the pickle jar when Joe Biden had been loosening it for months. Give him the peace points seven piece points for Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: Guys, what the hell are peace points?
Speaker 12: It's the points you get for peace and they go to Donald Trump. He's basically the president.
Speaker 13: Now the president now is Joe Biden? This was all Joe Biden.
Speaker 6: Hold on, I'm getting some breaking news. It sounds like the deal may be falling apart.
Speaker 13: Like I was saying, this was all Donald Trump. He's basically the president.
Speaker 1: Now you're you're flip flopping.
Speaker 5: So you maintained that this was Trump's deal? Costa Absolutely not.
Speaker 12: Donald Trump's not even close to being the president.
Speaker 1: He can't even win peace points.
Speaker 13: Yet, but he can lose peace points, and that means he's minus twenty.
Speaker 4: Six piece points.
Speaker 13: Think about him like a pickle jar.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, the entire deal is because of Joe Biden.
Speaker 6: Hold on, hold on, hold on, a good were the deal might be back on Joe Biden's replacement.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump, You.
Speaker 4: Did it, big guy.
Speaker 1: Congrats.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, your pathetic costa. Joe Biden did this? Hold on, I'm just getting an alert. I just want to make sure it's not about the deal. Oh okay, it's fine. My kid's just missing anyway, Joe Biden.
Speaker 6: Middle its guys, Guys, can't there be a compromise here, like for the sake of unity, surely you can come to an agreement on sharing the credit.
Speaker 13: I guess we could split the credit in phase one, Biden gets the credit until Trump takes over.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Then in phase two, Trump takes the credit for six.
Speaker 13: Weeks, and then if the piece holds in phase three, both sides will coexist peacefully sharing the credit, each of them.
Speaker 4: Both getting for peace points. Wow.
Speaker 6: No, I mean I still have no idea what peace points are. But the fact you guys achieved this agreement is historic.
Speaker 4: Well done.
Speaker 3: Thank you. It was my idea.
Speaker 13: No, I get the credit. Remember the Pickle.
Speaker 3: Analogy, I lose the deal.
Speaker 4: It's my credit.
Speaker 1: If you talk about pickles one more time, I will kill you. I hate my life. I have nothing to hurt.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, we'll have to go back to the negotiating table, Deddie Leidik and Michael Kostela.
Speaker 13: We'll come back.
Speaker 5: We'll find out what cave luck didn't win the election.
Speaker 4: Don't go West, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Back to the Dalla Show.
Speaker 4: Before the election, and we.
Speaker 6: Sent Grace Coolan Schmid to ask election analysts who they predicted would win the presidential race. Now two months later, she followed up with some of those predictions.
Speaker 7: Last time I was in Washington, d C.
Speaker 14: Was just two months ago, which feels like a lifetime. I was so young and naive looking for answers, what is.
Speaker 8: Your prediction for this election?
Speaker 11: Twice before, and.
Speaker 14: Alan Lichtman gave them to me.
Speaker 15: Kamala Harris will become the first woman president.
Speaker 3: But Alan Litman was wrong.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump has been elected president.
Speaker 1: Can you just admit that you got it wrong with your foolish little equation. You got it wrong, Alan, to make denial, You've got it wrong. So you were monstrously and stupidly wrong.
Speaker 8: Al, I seriously trusted you.
Speaker 14: Well, no, no, it's not your time and talk yet. I seriously trusted you, and I thought that what you told me was the truth.
Speaker 4: I was being honest. There was a prediction, not a fact that I told you I'm a human being.
Speaker 8: Right, you didn't tell me that you were a human being and that.
Speaker 15: You might be I certainly didn't mean to hurt any I'm not psychic. My predictions are based on history, and this year, which you know is the craziest year ever, the pattern of history was broken.
Speaker 3: That can happen? Did you even notice? I got a haircut?
Speaker 5: Actually did, and it looks great.
Speaker 8: I agree, it really frames my face.
Speaker 14: If only Alan's political judgment was as good as his taste in haircuts.
Speaker 4: But it wasn't, and I needed to know why.
Speaker 8: What are some of your excuses?
Speaker 15: I definitely think I was thrown off by pushing by. Now you've never seen a sitting president the elected nominee forced out, So that leads me to perhaps reevaluate my call on the contest.
Speaker 3: Key See.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I knew that was stupid, and I was going to tell you, but I didn't want a woman's plain.
Speaker 15: The broader point is, I do think Harris's race and gender played a role here. There are deep strains within this country of misogyny, racism, xenophobia.
Speaker 14: I wish you had told me that the first time she could have maybe put found that in there. And to be fair, Alan was the only thought leader who got this prediction wrong. Have you talked to Charlie XCX about this or anything?
Speaker 3: Because talked to who Charlie XCX.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'm not hearing you right, Charlie XCX.
Speaker 15: Charlie XCS. I don't know who that is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, she said that Kamala is brat, and it just at this point I'm kind of thinking perhaps Trump was more brat. Oh, okay, yeah, but you and her have not spoken.
Speaker 3: We have not spoken.
Speaker 8: I was secretly glad.
Speaker 14: They hadn't spoken, because that would make me crazy jealous, which is an issue I'd been working on with my therapist.
Speaker 8: But did Alan have any regrets of his own?
Speaker 14: Are you thinking, why did I ever get into politics?
Speaker 8: Why didn't I.
Speaker 14: Just stick to modeling or something?
Speaker 15: This is one prediction. In over forty years, I was listed as number eighty five of the world's one hundred leading geopolitical experts. But people think, oh, he made a wrong prediction that invalidates him as a person. It's crazy.
Speaker 14: I one time was in an uber and there was an iPad on the back of the seat and it said, what sound does a dog make and.
Speaker 8: Bark was right there.
Speaker 5: I clicked moo.
Speaker 14: But lucky for me, it's not my job, and so it really had no impact on my life.
Speaker 15: I'd like to say one more thing. Please, Yes, we shouldn't just write off an era. We can learn a lot about our politics and our society from analyzing the mistake.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 15: If you can't learn from your mistakes, then you're in big trouble, you know what.
Speaker 8: A and I forgive you, and I hope that we're back here in four years.
Speaker 5: I hope so, and I hope you're right that time.
Speaker 15: The Great Benjamin Disraeli, the former late Prime Minister of England, once said finality is not a word we use in politics.
Speaker 14: I think Charlie XCX said that.
Speaker 8: I think Charlie XCX.
Speaker 1: Every time you.
Speaker 15: Say that, I kind of go watch. It's not a name that rings buddy bells with legs.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Gray. Let me come back. Democratic Representative Tom Swazi, Will you joining me on the show? Don't go away? Well The Daily Show.
Speaker 6: My guest tonight is a Democrat who represents New York's third congressional district. Please welcome US Representative Tom Swazi A lot of Swazi heads here. Yeah, they're into it for Clipper, not for Swazi.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to say it. I think we share the love that is here.
Speaker 6: You got a lot on your plates, kygre lot going on. There's a lot going on right now. I want to talk to you about we Obviously, Monday is the inauguration.
Speaker 5: You wrote a book.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yeah, yeah, do you have any Yeah, yeah, I'll be there.
Speaker 5: Ye you're not going to storm the capitol before that.
Speaker 4: The Democrats meet together.
Speaker 6: Did you guys meet together and discuss whether we're Yea and Nan trying to stop it.
Speaker 3: We'll be there, We'll be there. We can't stop it.
Speaker 6: You can't stop the proceedings now, Well, maybe if you worked a little harder during the election, you could have.
Speaker 4: I'm just spit, bully, the just rub it in.
Speaker 1: Jordan.
Speaker 4: Well here, I'm curious.
Speaker 6: You wrote an op ed a few weeks ago talking about how Democrats should move forward in this new era of Trump. Essentially, Democrats should meet Trump halfway rather than be a party of no. And for you, I'm curious, does that mean seven point five million deportations instead of how does one meet the Republicans halfway?
Speaker 3: Well, you you've got to resist when it's appropriate, you know, like when he was a president before, we resisted. I resisted when he wanted to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. You have to resist when he wants to deport the Dreamers. Now if he wants to weaponize the DOJ you have to resist. If you want to get rid of the climate stuff we've done, you got to resist. So there's things you have to resist on. But the people want us to work together to try and solve problems. And we've tried all the stuff of just tearing him down as much as we can and did work. He won, And now people want us to work together to address the border, to address cost of living and inflation, to address the things that really happened in their lives.
Speaker 6: I mean, people do want things to get done right. But in twenty sixteen, it felt like the Democrats angle was to be a party of note, to be obstructionist, and they won the mid terms. There was success after that. Joe Biden was the next president. Is that a winning strategy? It felt like being obstructionist, being resisty if not, if not leading.
Speaker 5: To electoral victory.
Speaker 6: This past election had some successes in twenty sixteen, twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Well, let me just first make a prediction. Okay, the Democrats are going to win in twenty twenty four, but in twenty twenty four, twenty twenty what year would I say?
Speaker 5: You said twenty twenty four? What ye are we in now? Already in twenty twenty five, Why.
Speaker 3: Did you guys clap for that? Yeah? Well, makers just test you guys failed completely twenty twenty six.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Let's start with math and then work towards twenty twenty seventh.
Speaker 4: The math major. I was a math major to say, I know what is in the past and what.
Speaker 3: Is the right? Okay, do you think twenty twenty six, twenty twenty six we're going to win? Okay? And I think that people, let's try again in twenty twenty six, we're going to win.
Speaker 5: So we are not editing around.
Speaker 6: This is that we are leaving that in our politicians are fallible. This is aslasi, I'm human, you're human.
Speaker 3: So the bottom line is is that people are really sick. And I talk to people all the time. I mean that's what you do if you do a good job in elected office, is you talk to people. And people are sick and tired of it. We're just fighting with each other all the time. And in this year, let me the years now. In twenty twenty four, in February, I ran a special election to replace George Santos after you got kicked out, and you guys remember George Santos.
Speaker 5: Right, America's greatest volleyball.
Speaker 3: So in that race I talked about the need to secure the border, and a lot of experts came to me and said, Tom, what are you doing. Why are you talking about the border. That's a Republican issue. I was like, this is what the people are talking about. They want us to address the border. So we can't say we're against deporting criminals. We have to work to try and secure the border. We need to fix the broken asylum system. We need to also treat people like human beings. We need to give the dreamers a path to legalization. We need to do something about the people you invited here twenty and thirty years ago. What to call the TPS recipient's temporary protective status. You had an earthquake, you had a flood, you had a civil war. We said, come to America, where it's safe. We invited them here Let's give them some sort of permanent status.
Speaker 4: Let's do something. Let's do something.
Speaker 3: Fifty percent of the farm workers in the United States of America are undocumented. Let's there have been bipartisan deals over the years to try and do border security, fix the asylum system, deal with the dreamers, tps, and farm workers, Afghan readjustment, healthcare workers. There have been deals, but we couldn't get enough support to get it over the finish line. Let's figure out how to build the consensus of people throughout the nation, business badges, and the Bible to try and say what can we do to get people to work together to actually get these things done to make our country better.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think trying to build consensus.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 4: I mean today you had to vote.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 6: You voted for the Preventing Violence Against Women by a Legal Aliens Act. This is a bill that was introduced by representing Nancy Mace right, and you and what one hundred and forty Dems voted against this, but you and sixty other Dems voted for this.
Speaker 3: And part of it is, you know, I actually don't think that's going to get through the Senate, but I think that it's part of sending this message that hey, we're willing to meet you halfway to try and get.
Speaker 5: That message getting across.
Speaker 3: They're not going to get done. It just happened, you know today. I mean right, But but you're.
Speaker 6: Saying this act of goodwill by the Democrats towards the Republicans, that this message will get across that.
Speaker 3: You're not going to hear it.
Speaker 4: This was he's a good guy.
Speaker 3: Come on. Yeah. So the bottom line is the natural inclination of human beings is is you take a shot at me, I'm going to give you a shot back. That's normal human behavior. And like the Republicans obstructed Biden every single which way, and that's natural human behavior. The problem is we're not getting stuff done to fix the problems. So it's like when Michelle Obama said, when they go low, we go high, and a lot of people give a grief for that for saying that, but in reality, we need to try and reach our hand out and say let's work together, let's get some stuff done. If they swat our hands away and say, you know, a sucker, you know like that, then the people will see that they but haven't they been doing that for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all they're sucker. They're the party of this.
Speaker 3: As your mom said, two wrongs don't make it right. And the reality is is we have serious problems that exist in our country and we have to figure out how can we get stuff done at least That's why I'm in public life. That's the reason I do this job. I mean, this is an unusual lifestyle and it's only worth it if you actually get stuff done to make people's lives better. And I think that right now. I think that, right now, that's what the American people really want. So you know, we all know all the bad stuff about Donald Trump. Okay, we know about you know, inappropriate grabbing, and we know about you know, January sixth, We know about Stormy Daniels, we know about selling Bibles, and we know about all the different you know anyone. Yeah, And so now he's the president of the United States of America come Monday. So we have got to figure out how do we resist when essential, but how do we try to work together to get stuff done when we can.
Speaker 6: I think that, I mean, that is a fine line that people are asking. I know there are people who are more progressive who see this in fear that we're sleep walking towards utocracy, that suddenly this resist energy is gone, and that if I suddenly we normalize this or don't bring it up enough, then we've sort of lost the plots and the goalpost get moved yet another field over.
Speaker 5: Do you worry about that, or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do worry about it. I'm like every other human being. When you give it to me, I'm going to want to give it back to you. But the reality is we've got to get stuff done to make our country better. We're facing serious threats from China, We're facing serious threats all over the world. Quite frankly, we're facing threats here in America, and people want their lives art. We've lost our middle class in our country. The minimum wage is still seven to twenty five an hour in twenty states in the United States of America. People are pissed off. They lost their jobs, they don't have their health insurance, they don't have pensions anymore. They're not making enough money. They go to work every day. If you make ten dollars an hour and you work forty hours a week, and you work fifty weeks a year math major, that's that's twenty thousand dollars a year. Okay, if you make fifteen dollars an hour, you work forty hours a week, you work fifty weeks year, that's thirty thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 4: Now, is that right that that don't work out?
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean about seven minutes ago you thought the year was twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Check that. The bottom line is everybody in America, whether you're a progressive or a conservative or anybody between, everybody in America should believe that if I work hard, in return for working hard, I make enough money so I can live a decent life. I can get a house, I can I can have health insurance, I can educate my children, and I can retire a day without being scared. The problem is that's not happening in our country for too many people. That's why everybody's so pissed off. And that's why Trump found an opening because he says, oh, I hear you. I reallyize how bad things are for you. Now you're not going to do anything about it. He does the support increasing in the minimum wage. He doesn't support what's called the Proact to try and have more unions in the United States of America. Child tax credit. We've got to do things. Democrats have to make it clear to people we're the party for working people. If you work hard, we want you to have a decent life so you can live the American dream. That's what the Americans should what the Democrats should be talking about to the American people, not all this other stuff about somebody's personality where it's wrong with them. Talk about issues that will make their lives better.
Speaker 4: But even you, well you can.
Speaker 3: But how do you.
Speaker 1: I hear you.
Speaker 6: I feel like you go out here and you the American public when I go and talk to people out in America, Yes, they talk about the pocket book, they care about money, they care about buying houses. But the Republicans are also dictating these conversations. And I know sometimes from a political standpoint, you're getting pulled in these culture wars. But the Democrats aren't necessarily bringing those culture wars up, and they want to stand up.
Speaker 5: Here's where I'm curious about.
Speaker 6: You've been faced with very real bills to pass and what to support, where to throw your your name behind. You just voted for stronger regulations at the border. But there was recently, like a week ago, this what was it, the National Ban on transgender girls and women's sports.
Speaker 5: You voted against that ban. How do you how do you walk this line here?
Speaker 3: It's not easy, It's very tough. But the bottom line is is that Donald Trump and the Republicans have been master pickpockets. So what a pickpockets do? They work in teams. One person comes up to you and they bump into you. And when you're jostled and you're because you get bumped into, the other person picts your pocket. So they use it issues like transgender. They spend two hundred million dollars on transgender commercials, and the Democrats never responded when while the people all excited, we got to worry about protecting social security and protecting Medicare, so we can't let ourselves be distracted by even the border to some extent was an effort to get people all pumped up while they were doing other stuff. And for the best example is Trump just came out a week ago and he said, Panama canal Greenland and change the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America. Okay, what happened to reducing the price of eggs and gasoline that you said is so easy to do? What happened to endy of the Ukrainian War in one day. So he's a master of distraction. And so I recognize that, and I think that the people need to recognize that we can't allow ourselves to be distracted by some of these issues. Now, the Republicans have done a better job. Okay, we've got people that are far left on our side, they've got people that are far way right over there, like you said before, Marjorie Taylor Green, Lauren Bobert, Matt Gates. They did a better job weaponizing our left to say how the Democrats are like that. We didn't do a very effective job saying the Republicans are like that. So you've got to try and navigate.
Speaker 6: This like what like I feel, like so like people know who I feel. When people know who Matt Gates is, they don't care. And I mean half the people care, but the other half don't. See the whole Republican Party didn't get painted with Matt Gates. And so so for example, in my race, okay, Donald Trump won my district by nineteen thousand votes, Joe Biden had won back in to get my dates right back in twenty twenty, sure, okay, he won by eleven points. Okay, Trump just won my district by five points. That's a sixteen point swing for me to win by eleven thousand votes, considering that everybody, not everybody who votes for president necessarily votes for the congress member. For me to win by eleven thousand votes, I had to get twenty thousand people that vote for Donald Trump to actually vote for me.
Speaker 3: Now that's not an easy thing to do. But because people know me and because they know that I'm going to fight for them, not just for the party. I'm going to fight for the people. And I talked about issues like the border. I got endorsed by the Nasau County PBA. A Democrat hasn't been endorsed by the NASA, including me, hasn't been endorsed by the Nasau County PBA for a long time. So you've got to be able to talk to the people about the issues they're concerned out about and not let yourself be painted with this brush when they try to distract people.
Speaker 5: Now you're watching these confirmation hearings.
Speaker 3: I haven't really been watching them that much, but I you know a little Oh.
Speaker 5: What do you oh, you don't have the time to what do you do what's your job.
Speaker 4: Well, they're doing their hearings.
Speaker 3: I'm doing a ways and means hearing about the budget.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying check in maybe no, no, no, yes, okay.
Speaker 3: But I don't sit there watch three hour hearing about what's going on.
Speaker 5: But you use it for me.
Speaker 4: I gotta wize these things. But I don't vote.
Speaker 3: I don't vote on the confirmation.
Speaker 5: You don't vote on any confirmation.
Speaker 3: That's only the only the Senate does that. But you, yes, I follow.
Speaker 5: Is there anybody who worries you the most?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Do you have somebody who keeps you up at nights?
Speaker 3: I'm concerned about some of the national security issues that the people that are going there that don't have the property. Like when HeiG Seth was being grilled the other day, I was concerned that a lot of the focus was on his personal problems, which obviously there are personal problems that he has, but I wish they had focused more on the fact that he's never really managed more than two hundred people, and there are three million people that work for the Pentagon. It's the most lethal weaponry force in the history of the world, and it's really something we rely on so much. And I wish they had talked more about his management skills versus his personal problem.
Speaker 6: And I know what a shit talk your fellow Democrats there, But I know that is a critique right now. David Brooks had an article about that that looked at this hearing and everybody's going for the viral moments and Heikseth definitely has some holes in his background, some character flaws that they're piecing apart. But should they have aggressively gone after perhaps some of those holes in experience and or knowledge with the organization he's going to run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they should have. I mean, this is kind of like what I was saying before about Trump. You know, we know about all of his issues, okay, and we just focused on that over and over again when we should have been talking about No, we have a better plan to rebuild the middle class in the United States of America. Joe Biden always said we want to build from the bottom up and the middle out. Now people don't really know what that means. That means we need to create more jobs in America. When you go to work every day, you make enough money so you have a good life. We need to focus. Democrats need to be getting back to that basic, simple message of what happened in our country when we lost our manufacturing base, when we saw globalization, when Milton Friedman wrote a paper that said, don't worry about the employees, don't worry about the community you're in. Only worry about the shareholders. And that's what we did starting in the nineteen eighties. We only worried about the shareholders. It worked, we made a lot of money. The problem is the Dow Jones went up twenty five hundred percent, the GDP went up fifteen hundred percent, but workers' wages went up only thirty percent. We've got to start. We've got to get back to the basic messages, the basic messages that affect people's lives. And how much money you make and what your health insurance and pension plan is is the most basic thing for so many people in our country. And if we can get back to those basic messages, the Democrats will win over and over and over again. We can't let ourselves be distracted.
Speaker 6: You're here, you're taking the seat once held by George Santos. Do you do you follow his career closely and everything that after you get out of doing your time here and when you're finished with your term in.
Speaker 5: At twenty sixty two, or.
Speaker 6: Do you ever wish that you could kind of follow his trajectory and get on cameo.
Speaker 3: No, I've had a history in politics of you know, winning and losing, and everybody I get involved with ends up getting in trouble. So don't mess with me. You can, you can run against me, but if you beat me, your life's over after that.
Speaker 6: So lovely well, Congressman dom Swasi. Everyone you want to take a click right, that's our show over tonight. But before we go, please consider supporting the California Fire Foundation. They are on the ground working with local fire agencies and community organizations to provide support in acted residents. If you can, please donate at the link below. Now Here it is your moment.
Speaker 2: Is that Christopher Machio heading to Washington, d C. For a performance like none other. Oh, Machio will be singing the national anthem on Monday at President elect Donald Trump's inauguration.
Speaker 9: He has an iPad pro in front of him at the dinner table, and he basically plays a very eclectic playlist of selections.
Speaker 7: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast Universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 4: Paramount Podcasts