Speaker 1: Ryan Davish covers the Mariners for the Seattle Times, one of our favorite guests on FT Ryan, Good to see you, man, and of course we wish that these were times that were a little easier to talk about in Seattle World. To give him a ton of credit during the trade deadline for getting some things done. Yet here we are. They're okay, They're in a playoff spot. But I'm going to start with the classic Are they okay?
Speaker 2: Well, I've talked about this before. I mean, this isn't new. I don't know if they're okay. I think they're in a familiar spot. I just actually wrote a story all about this about since twenty twenty one, they've had these little swoons at the end of every season, right around early September or late August. And you know, in twenty twenty two they were able to play through it. They had enough of a lead that they could withstand it. The other two years they were short, And I think that's the biggest thing. I don't know if they're okay in a sense that like cal Rawley lived this the last few years, JP Crawford, you know, getting down to the very last week of the season and getting eliminated and knowing that you had a rough stretch that really kind of torpedoed your chances is something that kind of looms, and I think it's a motivating factor. But at the same time, I mean, like, you know, I don't know if it makes them tight or you know, as adds any additional stress to the situation. But they are not playing well right now, particularly on the road, and you know, they have this series against the Braves coming up, and they have a kind of an important road trip in a few weeks with three at the Royals and three at the Astros.
Speaker 3: This travel has to be it this travel, like the travel that they're on. They just keep getting crushed with this and the Major League Baseball said, you know what, We're going to double you up on two East Coast trips. Do you ever talk or hear talk from the players, honest chatter about being tired on these trips because they have the most By the end of the year, they've easily logged thousands more miles than any other team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, like the other night they we played in Tampa, seven thirty five start time, and it's a getaway day. You know, you're flying Atlanta it's a short flight, but seven thirty five start time, game gets over at like eleven thirty. That's that's late. And you know, the big thing is is these guys don't want to get twelve hours of sleep, and which I would I would kill to have half of that. But yeah, these these East Coast trips are tough, and what the Marriors want to do, they don't want to keep going back and forth to the East Coast. They would prefer to to, you know, try and bunch up the East Coast trips. But you know, two and two and like the last two series they were in, they were in Baltimore, New York, plus the Williams Part game, plus Philly. Then they came back from only six at home and then we're back out you know what was it? Cleveland, Tampa and Atlanta. And they have these a long trips and it does your three hour time difference, it does mess with them. I think the sleep factor is a problem. You know, they talk about it a little bit. The humidity because you guys have been to Seattle in July and August. It's beautiful there. There is no humidity and it never gets above eighty five. You come out here and it's a little different, so they've talked about it. I do think that that they have not done themselves any favors by playing these guys as much as they have. I wrote, I checked the other day. They have five guys that have played more than one hundred and thirty five games this year, and that's the most of any team in baseball, and that's significant. You're talking about au Haano Suarez who played a lot with the Diamondbacks, but JP Crawford, Cayl Rawley, and then Randy Rose Rain and Julio Rodriguez. All those guys other than Julio are you know, thirty or above. So it does wear on you. And I think we've seen some fatigue in the last couple of weeks, just kind of grinding everything out.
Speaker 3: All right. So obviously the the roster construction didn't give them the flexibility. But let's be honest, the team like this, who's right on the edge and doesn't have a lot of money to spend, they have to play all their best players. They have to play those guys have to play every single day, and I think they're young enough. So unfortunately, this is where they're at going into September. But the biggest question for me is the starting pitching. How did this starting pitching just all of a sudden not show up. This was the superpower that we've been crying for the last few years. You know what, They're healthy, all their elite, they got it and now they have pretty much Brian wu right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're seeing some cumulation factors. Accumulation factors like you know, Logan Gilbert, Bryce Miller, George Kirby, Bryan will all went you know, season high in innings. I mean Logan's progressive up to you know, he was over two hundred innings last year, one of the few pitchers that did that. And Logan, George, Bryce all spent significant time on the injured list this year. And with Luis Castillo, I think we're just seeing kind of wear down. He was outstanding in the first half, but second half he started to kind of decline. He hasn't been able. There was a stretch where he just couldn't get that extra day of rest that they love to give pictures, and I think that was a problem. So yeah, and what's really striking is their era on the road versus at home. I think at home, their top six or seven on the road, they're one of the five worst in all the baseball And Bryce Miller talked about it the other day, is that sometimes when they get away from T Mobile Park, where the ball doesn't carry as well and you don't get punished for a mistake, they get a little too fine. They get a little bit too on the edges. They're trying to make the perfect pitch instead of having the same mentality that they have at home, which was, no, here it is we have good stuff. Here it is, we'll throw it in the zone early, get early, get ahead early, and you know, take their chances. And they just haven't done that on the road, especially on this trip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very one of those things about the Mariners. They always talk about their pitching, how good it is, and then the hitting needs to come up. I want to talk about one guy in particular. You henniy O Suarez came over. Everybody's excited, you know, it seems seemed to me, Yeah, he's got six home runs, but he hasn't found his niche a little bit. Have you What have you seen from him? And is he pressing a little bit or is there you know, something else going on?
Speaker 2: Well, you know as well as I do that Geno can be a little streaky, and he's just kind of in that lew where he's getting you know, he's getting his bombs and hitting some power, but the strikeouts are there. I think, you know, just the adjustment. It just seems like he was so hot in Arizona there was going to be a cool off factor. I thought it was picking up earlier on this road trip when we were in Cleveland. They we saw some homers, a lot of hits, you know, and I think they're just pitching him a little differently too. I've noticed that they, you know, he can hammer a breaking ball, and I think they've really been trying to attack him differently with a lot of elevated heaters, trying to get ahead of him that way, trying to force some different kind of contact instead of trying to go soft away. He really is sat on some mistake breaking pitches, and people are making sure that if they're throwing a breaking pitch to him, it's well out of the zone, hoping they can get some chase. I think we'll see him pick it up here a little bit. He's just kind of one of those guys, you know where There'll be seven days where it's unbelievable and seven days where it looks like he may never get another hit. But we've seen some signs, you know, the contact rate has been better and some things on this road trip.
Speaker 3: What's it gonna take for cal Rally to win the MVP? I get it, He's put together quite a year. This swoon, the slide he's had in the second half is realistic. If he plays one hundred and fifty five games this year, that is crazy. I don't care if he caught and DH that is crazy. But he's gonna need all those games for the team to make the playoffs. So what does he need to do down the stretch here to overtake judge?
Speaker 2: I think he's got to pick up the production level and the Mariners have to get in the postseason. I know some voters don't really subscribe to team's success as actor and all of that, But if the Mariners somehow don't make the playoffs and he has this monster season but has kind of this slide in the last month, that will hurt him in the boating. To me, you look at what he does on a daily basis. He caught six straight games on the coming out of this going into this road trip. I mean we were in Cleveland. He caught every game there, including the day game after a night game. My guess is he's gonna catch ninety percent of the games in this last in this last month, just because he's that good and he can kind of control the running game. So if he just kind of continues to play, you know, plays off and behind the plate as he does, but pick up the production, start hitting homers. Let's also start getting you know, just some base hits, not just the power, I think he can win it. To me, what he does on a daily basis is just absurd. I can't fathom how much he how much he's hurting. We watch every game where he's just getting beaten to death and he won't complain, and he won't take himself out of the lineup, and he doesn't want an off day. And it's starting to really, you know, I think we're seeing some of that, you know, kind of come into effect here where he's just beat up a little bit. The swing looks a little slower, You're missing some pitches that maybe normally you would hit or foul him off when you would normally drive them for Homer, but I would think this, you know, the last three weeks here will kind of pick him up, you know, with the adrenaline rush of the postseason looming. I think it'll be fine. But he's just got to kind of pick it up and the Maris have to get in the postseason. And I think he has a really strong case just because of the positional demands. I wrote a whole story on him last year. I followed him from a morning in spring training at four thirty which was miserable, getting up to meet him at the complex at four point thirty in the morning, and on a game where he on a day where he didn't play in the game, he got there at four thirty am and left at six thirty pm. That's absurd. That's how much time he put in. He caught multiple pullpens, took hacks on the minor league field, did extra work, met with some pitchers, talk with a bunch of people. It was crazy. He still does that almost every day. He's not getting to the field at four thirty am for games, but he's one of the first people there every day. And I mean it's it's been just to see what he's done and to see the success he's had is pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: You might have some recency bias here because you just saw Tampa. But which of the three teams who have all giggity amount of losses the Rangers one and a half back, the Royals two back, the Rays two back, and you just saw Cleveland three and a half back. Which one of these teams seems like they're the biggest threat to the Mariners if they continue to swoon and fall like they have recently.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Rays looked ridiculous. Or Junior Camanaro like he was hitting p rods all over the field and they were They could have rolled it up there and he would have hit it at a rocket. I was so impressed by him, Like watching that guy take batting practices a show. But what makes Tampa really special is that bullpen. But they have they have everything that the Mariners want in terms of strikeout guys in the middle innings. You know, you bring in Usetta and Baker and all those guys, and then you still have Fairbanks and you have Jacks. They get strikeouts. That's what you want in a bullpen. And I think when you get into these games late, if they can shorten the games. They can really be difficult to beat because you know, all Shane Boz has to do is give them five or six, and he hasn't been very good. He was good against the Mariners. That's big, you know. Drew Rasmussen has been great. I like the race because I like how they play. They don't they're not real flashy other than Camen Arow, but they're pretty solid. I the Guardians seem a little flawed to me, but you know, you never know. When you have Jose Ramirez in your lineup, you're always pretty competitive. But I think the Rays could be a real threat. The one thing is they have real games coming up to they have and playing Toronto several times down the stretch will be interesting to see where Toronto's at, if they have everything locked up or if they're still playing for something. That will be a difference maker as well.
Speaker 1: Ryan will armchair quarterback because it's fun. And the Mariners were praised for what they did at the deadline. I was one of those people that said, yeah, you need two corner bats, you go get them. Mission accomplished. There the only criticism I had, and I was like, hey, if we want to take this from an a whatever I did, aar A minus to a plus, swing and Miss guy and bullpen everyone does it, right. They got Caleb Ferguson, but talking about a Dernan right or somebody like that that was available, and there were other names too, of course. So if you're looking back and the way that you just described the Rays getting swing and miss getting to the end of their game, is that what you would have done? Like if you could do a redo right now, just add to the trade deadline, would you get the reliever or something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a big believer in getting the swing and miss guy at the deadline if you can get it, and they were. They they really wanted a swing and Miss guy. They went in on Duran pretty hard, and from everything I've been told, they thought they had a deal locked up with to with the twins to get you on Duran. And at the last you know minute, you know, the last hour or two of the the deadline is when Philly came in and up the offer and they the marriage just didn't didn't or wouldn't match it. Maybe they should have. Like I haven't gotten the exact details on who they were offering, but you look at what Philly gave up one was a catching prospect. So my guess is Harry Ford was probably somebody that the Mariners were willing to give up in that deal. They really wanted Duran and they felt like they were going to get him, and at the last minute it kind of fell apart, and I think that was, you know, pretty dispiriting for them. And that's another thing too, is the marriage have been really good about kind of finding relievers off the well we used to call them the Island of misfit arms. You know, you find Paul s wall for or you get one really good year out of uh Drew second Rider or Drew second Rider or j Chargua, you know, justin Topa they find these guys. They haven't been able to necessarily do that this year. Edward Bizardo is a guy that's been pretty good, and that's why they moved Emerson Hancock to the bullpen is hoping that they could find a little magic there and get a little bit more swing and miss and just get some depth. You know, Jackson cor and Troy Taylor, guys who they relied upon, just haven't been who they thought they were gonna be this year, and they were hoping they'd be something more. All right.
Speaker 4: So after all this talk and we talk about the hitters, the pitchers, the team, does this team make the playoffs come the end of September.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're gonna do it. I think it will be the typical down to the last possible day and they'll probably you know, last couple of days. You know, why not make the anxiety as high as possible. It's been like that for quite a while, so I think they still I think they still have enough to do. It will be really interesting is the Dodgers. They closed this season with the Dodgers at home, and you know, the Dodgers are in a real race now. It's not like in years past where they're resting guys and just kind of playing out the string to get ready for the postseason. Dodgers got to play. So they have the Rockies and they have the Dodgers to close out the season at home. I mean, like the Mayor still hold hope that they can catch the Astros. I think they're three and a half back. You know, they got three games in Houston and that could be defining. But they just have to play a little bit better, you know, get better starting pitching, play a little cleaner in the field, and I think they'll be fine.
Speaker 1: All right, We're keeping an eye on this one. I feel for Seattle fans. I want them to get some more playoff baseball. I'm sure that would be fun to cover. Ryan, good stuff, man, Thanks for joining us. Good to see you. And actually at the end here welcome back. I don't know you've had you back since the little break, the little sabbatical, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I took a little break to coach American Legion baseball back in Montana, coach my step son. It was. It was pretty crazy. I you know, I had a few Aaron Boone moments for with the umpires. We we ran into the Angel Hernandez and Montana umpires late in the season.
Speaker 4: So there was you won't you won't give me a shout out, give me his name, give me a shout out.
Speaker 2: It's what's the problem.
Speaker 3: Give there's nothing more. Give him, there's no more. He's being angel. He wants the love.
Speaker 4: Kid. You don't have to say his name.
Speaker 3: There's nothing.
Speaker 4: If it was John, We're good.
Speaker 2: You guys have all been to Montana. I know you guys have spelling. Oh yeah, Montana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, stuff nice well, Ryan, good to see you back.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the time, dude, Thanks guys,