Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian Alvarez and this is today's edition of the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network.
Speaker 2: Live from San Francisco. I'm a sports byline broadcasting network. You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with your hosts Brian Alvarez and Mike sempervv.
Speaker 3: Right, you ready, when you're ready, let's get it off.
Speaker 1: There's going everybody. Brian Alvarez here on Wrestling Observer Live. We are here every day Monday through Friday, New Pacific three Eastern Sunday three Pacific six Eastern Saturday Mornings with Jim Valley to name Pacific one Eastern Sundays with andrews Arian. And Hey, it's Tuesday here on the show. And you know that means we got a lot to talk about here today land Storm's going to be joining us. We can talk about all of the latest news, including the return of Brock Lesner actually was not on Raw, nor was the advertised for any future events, although there's a decent chance he could show up on Friday because the announced that John Cena is gonna be there, and I think John Cena, I mean, I guess it could always renegotiate and that sort of thing. But it is August fifth and September, October, November. He's got he's got four months left and twelve dates, so like, there ain't that many left. So he's gonna be on SmackDown Friday, there'll be on be eleven left after that, and so, uh, I guess you know, if he's gonna be there, you kind of got to do something most of the time. So anyway, we'll talk about that. And we got news as well on the g One moving away from brock Lessner for a while. We got updates on the g One. Hulk Cogan, of course, he passed away, and his daughter Brooke was on the Bubba the Love Spunge show actually talking about the split between her and Hulk. They've been estranged for several years actually, and she talked about why Red Hart did not have nice things to say about Hulk Hogan. We'll tell you about that. And of course the Raw After Summer Slam report, and that is now how it is being branded. It is Raw after Summer Slam, very much like the Raw After WrestleMania, which is a smart idea and a lot of championship matches and more and terrible finishes. But anyway, a lot to get into here today if it wanted. Texas four to five seven eight zero seven, five sixty six and is forty five seven eight zero seven five six six Back in the mom with Lance Observer Live.
Speaker 4: You get a shiv in the dog in the palms meantime.
Speaker 5: I am an American veteran. I'm proud to have served this country. Helping veterans is something all Americans can participate in, and it's as simple as donating an old car that you have sitting around. When you call the Veteran Car Donation Program, they'll explain how their program works, and then a range of time they can come and pick up your vehicle for free, running or not, it doesn't matter. They take cars, trucks, motorcycles, or vans. Show your support by donating your car and get a tax deduction in the process. Call the Veteran Car Donation Program right now. They'll come and pick your car up for free, and you get a tax deduction in the process. Call the number we're about to give you right now. Thank you and God bless America.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred eight eighty seven one own ninety seven eight hundred eight eight seven one oh nine seven eight hundred eight eight seven one ohn ninety seven. That's eight hundred eight eight seven ten ninety seven. Yay, hear that. That's the sound of uncertainty lurking under your hood. You know the feeling I know, I do that sudden sinking sensation when you see a check engine light or your car unexpectedly breaks down and you're faced with sky high repair bill. It's time to shield against unexpected repairs with Carshield. Carshield as America is most trusted all the protection company and has an a rating with a Better Business Bureau. Don't let the fear of a breakdown keep you up at night. Trust the Shield, Car Shield, and say goodbye to terrifying repair business and hello to peace of mind. Your plan also comes with twenty four to seven roadside assistance, courtesy tolling, rental car options, and so much more. Don't wait till it's too late. Call Carshield now before a breakdown, protect your wallet, protect your car with Carshield, get our best protection ever.
Speaker 3: Call now. You'll thank me later.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred two four seven sixty one three five eight hundred two four seven six one three five. That's eight hundred two four seven sixty one thirty five.
Speaker 3: Hey airline travelers.
Speaker 4: Let's say you have a problem and you need to change or cancel an existing airline reservation.
Speaker 3: What do you do well. SkyWatch is a free service that.
Speaker 4: Can help anyone with any airline reservation fix it, whether you want to cancel it, change your dates, or add passengers. We can help fix your airline reservations so you get exactly what you need. We've updated our computer database and now have access to every airline around the globe.
Speaker 3: So now you can make one phone.
Speaker 4: Call regardless of who booked your airline tickets, and we'll change it, cancel it, and fix it for you. We know the insider secrets to fixing reservations that the airlines don't want you to know about. So if you need to cancel, change, or modify in existing airline reservation, call SkyWatch right now. It's a free call, so let us fix it for you. Eight five five three two five five six four seven eight five five three two five five six four seven. That's eight five five three two five fifty six forty seven.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike Simpervivi on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: I got the show, Brian Alvarez here, Wrestling Observer Live. Lance Storm is joining us here today and we got a lot to talk about. Haven't talked to Lance in a while. When were you on the show last fun Friday? Yes, call Lee. That was years ago. It seems that my lord, Well, what do you think about the return of Brock Lesner.
Speaker 6: Well, I think everyone's looking at it from the wrong perspective. I don't think it's about Brock. I think it's about the working environment of women within WWE and under Vince, there was a very unfavorable, bad pick your own word, work environment for women. Back to reader Chatterton to the objectivity of women with bron pennies, matches and thonathons and puppies, puppies, puppies, the very handsy makeout sessions that women had to do with Vince McMahon. Take that forward to whatever necessitated Vince to offer multimillion dollar NDAs to women to stay silent. To what we learned about Janelle Grant. There was a women were, you know, drastically underpaid in that era. Too, and Vince was removed and Hunter has made things so much better. Women are making way more money, women are legitimate stars. Women aren't objectified like they used to be. Women can wear non revealing outfits and still be big stars. So to me, whether you bring Brock back or not, or anyone else back or not, to me, you need to ask your question, does this support your move to improve and make a respectful, safe environment for women in your company or does it detract from that and make it feel like you're going backwards? Because I think if you just look at each individual case, well, did this person do something that's really worth that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Was this one instance? It's not about the individual instances. It's about the overall message you send to women who work for you and in your company about the environment they are going to have to perform in. And I think you need to look at it from the women's standpoint and whether they would be in favor of something or not.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, and I don't think they would be, but no one's asking I would. I would? I mean, listen if you don't know, and I think I think everybody should have, even if you weren't told, probably figured this out. They didn't tell anybody who was going to be there on Sunday. It was it was the usual. They kept it top secret. They you know, they hid him. You know, nobody knew he was there. You know there, I will say this, nobody knew he was there, with the exception of like the people that had to know, so like John Cena and you know, Triple H and everybody. But there there were people Brock Brock travels with with people and uh and those people also had been around for like, you know, two years or whatever, and there were people Sunday that were like, oh, look who's here, and they pretty much figured it out. But I mean other than that, I mean, they didn't tell everybody. They didn't call it talent meeting. They didn't say, hey, you know, we're thinking about bringing this guy back and he would have any nothing. It was like he's coming back. No one's got to say, that's it. And that's what they did. So, I mean, I don't know what else to add. I mean, I wouldn't have done it. I don't how many times we have to say that. I think it was an incredibly, incredibly dumb idea. But you know, this is this is not a defense Okay, this is absolutely not a defense. But we are now on Tuesday, and like, I haven't heard anything. I've heard nothing about sponsors pulling out. You know, there's a lot of people upset on social media, but I mean, there was no revolt of any sort on Raw. You know, they showed the footage of him coming back and and people went crazy, and I mean.
Speaker 6: But again, what does this do to the morale?
Speaker 1: You're not wrong at all, dude, I'm not disagreeing with you. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 6: That is the perspective people need to look at.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure that, I'm sure the morale is bad, but like you know, yep, well can I say other than they don't care, which sucks?
Speaker 6: And they are not the only company. It's not just w B, it's not just the wrestling business. It's just bringing this person back, make us more money than it costs us. And that's generally the way things are looked at in this world.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you know what's funny about that is is, Okay, let's just let's just pretend, okay that we don't care about the Brock allegations. Okay, let's pretend we don't care. What is this really doing? I mean, buzz, I know, but like what money is it making? I mean, you think that John Cena headlining one of his last two or three pay per views is like it wasn't gonna draw, but now that Brock is back, it's gonna draw. You're not selling any pay per views, you know. I mean, look at look at the RAW average for example this year. You know, whatever people want to say, you can say whatever you want about creative and the storylines or whatever. I mean, if you're looking at how Raw is doing, it's doing better than it's been doing ever. They're they're they're averaging over eleven thousand. Okay last year when it was you know, everyone thought it was hotter in the year before. I mean it was it was nine thousand two years ago, ten thousand last year, eleven thousand this year. So what do we need Brock for?
Speaker 6: Well, you could play the booking card of John Cena in his let's say it'll be his final match. Who knows, maybe it will be. John Cena needs a really big match for his final sendoff. Do we want to take a big enough star from our full time regular roster to have John Cena beat to send the people home happy or do we use someone who we will not be using all that much that we can have a big match with John Cena. Let John Cena go over on someone who's not a regular attraction on our television and send him on his way, like it might be a booking decision.
Speaker 1: Well it could be, but you're you're also looking at this like we ain't gonna be seeing a lot of rock like this. They've been paying this guy an incredible amount of money for two years and they haven't used him when I don't know, but my my presumption is until it's up, like they're gonna get as much out of this guy as they possibly can. But it's a different like it's a different business now. It's like you're no one's getting paid on the gate, you're not selling pay per views, you're selling out with or without the guy. It's like, I don't even see a business reason to bring him back. And by the way, I want to mention this because last night on the show, they had that weird segment where Michael Cole basically said earlier today, I spoke to Nick con and Triple H and I asked them about the return of brock Leser. So I thought Okay, well, we're actually gonna see this. I think he's been I think he's been mentioned, but we've never seen him. So I thought, oh my god, we're gonna interview with Nick Cohn about brock Lessner. Holy smokes. Well Cole then just goes and they tell me that was it, Like, there's no interview. The story is three weeks ago. We called him, we said it's time to come home, and he said okay, and then it was over. And I was like, what was the point of that? Were you disputing, like Dave's report that it was four weeks ago? I mean, you're already disputing the idea that, like, you know, it was John Cena's idea, which you guys said the night before. You know, what does this have to do with storyline? We called Brock and said it's time. Brock came back as a total heal and destroyed John Cena. And the storyline Monday is we told him it was time to come home and he said okay. I was like, I was flabbergasted when this thing was done. I was like, what in the world was the point of this? But here's the thing. On Sunday, you know, the story was well John Cena, he had a list of guys and we wanted to make that work. So like they threw Johnson under the bus, like it's all his idea. Like if johnsen would have said, you know, I'd like my last match with Landstorm, like they're gonna call you and they're gonna make it work. Because John Cena like, come on, no offense. But anyway, the point of this is.
Speaker 6: John Cena he wants to get his win back.
Speaker 1: And John Cena was asked about Lesner returning. I'm trying to find out where it was at so I can plug it, but I can't find it. But it was it was Adam Adam's apple, Adam Glynn. He was asked like, what do you think about Listener coming back? And Johnsena's answer was, they deal them, I play them. So like Sunday it was like, it's John Cena's idea. Monday it's well, you know, we decided we wanted to come back, and then Tuesday and Johnsena's going they just brought him back, and I'll.
Speaker 2: Just do it. You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike Semper vv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Speaking of semper vv, are you at his house right now with the landscapers?
Speaker 6: Christmas?
Speaker 1: All right? Did you watch any of WrestleMania?
Speaker 6: There was no WrestleMania to watch whatever.
Speaker 1: I keep calling it WrestleMania because it's a two night show with a raw after Summer Slam.
Speaker 6: I watched the Punk match out of curiosity with so many varying opinions of it, but other than that, I did not know where did you fall? I would not be surprised if I found out that he was ill or had a tragedy in his family and had gunn through carry him through it. It was not the standard see him punk performance, and h I thought they booked him to look very weak, which was odd.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't rewatched it yet. I'm I'm I'm still very tempted to, but I don't know. Cares like they even credited the big thing. It's like, who cares?
Speaker 6: They even credited the desk Fluke with breaking his orbital bone rather than crediting the GTS, which I thought was why not let Punk's finisher be the one that broke the guy's face? He kneeds him in the face. Why put it over that he got lucky with a trip on a desk.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was mostly because you know, he got tripped on the desk and went under the desk to do all the blood and then came up immediately bleeding. I mean they could have they could have done a GTS and then the desk thing or something like that, but.
Speaker 6: They did the GTSS in the ring right afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Man was.
Speaker 6: So he got cut, he got a nick who cares you need surgery because Punk beat him up, not because he fell on a desk.
Speaker 1: At least that that was a match, at least now, at least the last couple of days. You know, I've noticed this thing on the internet where, uh, you say something and then like everybody goes wild in one direction, and then if you wait like a day, all of a sudden, everyone else starts coming in to go wild the other direction. So I think that that most people considered it to be a much better match than I did. But at least, like over the last day, it's like people are starting to come out of the woodwork and going you know, it really wasn't that good.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's engagement farming. Don't believe anything you see on Twitter. People like to jump on things and get engagement.
Speaker 1: Oh they sure do, yep, I was the way. There wasn't a lot like listen, it was my opinion. Who cares. If you don't like it, that's fine. If you have another opinion, that's fine. There are only a few things that made me angry. One was claiming that my opinion of the match was solely due to a personal issue with Phil Brooks, which god I literally put over his match with John Cena for crying out loud when John Cena was it his worst in the heel turn gimmick like Punk did an incredible job with him in that match. No one listens to that. And the other one was some guy accused me of whatever. You know, when you try to just do something to like get a reaction, it's like you already think. I really wanted to spend my weekend dealing with that. I don't do stuff to get a negative reaction. I hate that. I'm just telling you what I thought. Crying out loud, jumping.
Speaker 6: Leave him alone on Twitter. Just text him angrily like I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot easier to do that, rage baiting or whatever. Yeah, I really wanted to spend my weekend with the punk Brigade on me. That's really what it was. What I was hoping for, a nice, fun weekend, especially SummerSlam weekend. So get out of here, you geeks. NXT tonight as Soul Ruka versus Tatum Paxley for the North American Title, Hank and Tank against Uriah and Kale of Chase, U Blake Monroe versus Kalani, Jordan, Yoshiki, Ni Murra versus Stax, Lorenzo and Lexus King versus Miles Bourne. And incredibly, it's Tuesday here on the show, and we have four segments already for Dynamite tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 1: There have been many Wednesdays were at best I've got three segments to talk about and one week I had two. We've already got four big improvement MJF versus Mark Brisco, We have got Young Bucks versus Brodido, Tag Team title Eliminator, Tournament Semifinals, the return of Mercedes, and then a Forbidden Door TBS Championship qualifying match. It's a lot of words. Queen Aminada, Sky Blue, Alex Windsor and Billy Starks. I gotta give aw credit. I mean they're getting these women out working a lot, and if you've been watching the shows, these matches are getting a lot better. So that's good. And NXT. I don't have the dates in front of me, but NXT also announce, you know, they do those little local shows kind of around you know, the performance center area. They've actually got three dates a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday out of state coming up, I think late August, early September. I don't have in front of me, but it's good to see them doing some house shows outside of the normal area because you know, when you do house shows around the performance Center, you get a lot of the same fans, and quite frankly, you're gonna get It's good to go out in front of different people, do different matches, get different reactions.
Speaker 6: Make sure what you're doing actually works with everybody, not just the few hundred people that see you every week.
Speaker 1: Hey do I got to bring it up Jada Parker. I mean, she was a heel and all. She just got cheered, cheered, and I got mad every week and next the I kept being told over and over, dude, it's just this crowd. We can't book a national television show around just this crowd, and my argument was, if you only run in the same building for national television, yeah, maybe you should book around that crowd because they're there every fricking week. But the bigger issue is they then went on the road and everywhere they went, Jada Parker was over as a babyface. So it wasn't the building, It wasn't just those fans. It was the fact that everybody thought she was a babyface, which I think she now is, thank goodness. But I couldn't promise you.
Speaker 6: That if you knew. But thinking is at least better than doubting.
Speaker 1: It would definitely be better if I knew, But I don't actually know for sure. Hey, before we get into more news, Uh, what't you plug Brady's book?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's Escaping Denver. It's in the same universe as the Escaping Denver podcast, but it is a completely different different avenue, a different world in the same universe. If you will, it's available today. I'm holding up a copy for those are in video Escaping Denver. The Archivist, the character that I voice in the podcast is in the book.
Speaker 1: Gets violently killed.
Speaker 6: Oh hanging, hanging, don't don't know spoilers, And I already never do that to me. Yeah, and also too, I believe this week or at least very soon, season five of the podcast escaping the final season, the finale season. Yes, and again I'm the archivist in I think the last three seasons, and if you give it a go, they're all there to binge and download from the beginning if you like. There are four to six at least wrestler voices you might hear and recognize.
Speaker 1: All right, here's the latest on the G One from Jeremy Finestone, speaking of Strong style podcasts on the Fight Game Media Network a block. We got a five way tie at eight and a five way tie at six with two knights of matches left, so tied for first with eight points. We have yu Oimura, bolton Oleg, Yodasuji, Riyo he Oiwa an Evil, all tied five way tie six points. We got a five way tie Tanahashi, Taichi, Callum Newman, Sonata, and David Finley. So the next show is August seventh. After Tanahashi got his one hundredth overall G One win, he faced Yodasuji. If he won, it would be his one hundredth win in the history of ge and he won so he'll face Sonata. We've also got Oleg versus Evil Taichi versus Newman Uei Mura versus Oe Wah, which is a first time singles match, and Yodas Suji versus David Finley. B Block will resume on Friday, the eighth. Two nights of matches left ending next week on the thirteenth. We got a three way tie for first. Zach Saber, Junior, Ren Narita, and Takeshta all have ten points. So with the results today, the Sport of Pro Wrestling Statistical G one Climax thirty five tracker sounds very complicated has announced that Shingo Fantasmo and Great o'conn cannot advance based on tiebreakers. By the way, you know this Bolton oleg oleg Bolton thing well, el Fantasmo. I called him ELP the other day and Tom got very upset. He said, it's not ELP, it's LP. I was like, whatever you you worked there, I'll take your word for it. But then it was brought to my attention that ELP's theme song it says e LP over and over and over again, so I'm going with ELP. I refuse to be wrong. Blockab matches on Friday showed um and O versus Dakeshta Shingo versus Ren Narita e Lp versus Yoshi Hashi and Rilla Maloney versus Zach Saber Junior. Top three in each block advance to the next round. So there's plenty left to happen before all of this concludes. So there you go. That's the update on the g one. Thank you to Jeremy. It's much easier getting it that way than having to like go, you know, go through a bunch of paper notes but I can't find That's why I like that, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, leave searching for scraps of paper to Dave.
Speaker 1: Ray Mysterios set to play a role at Triple Mania later this month. He will be inducting Conan into the Triple A Hall of Fame. And I gotta say, if you're gonna have a you're gonna have a Triple A Hall of Fame. I think maybe Conan should be in there.
Speaker 6: That's hard to argue that way.
Speaker 1: I think he'd get my vote, But who am I back? In a moment Observer Live.
Speaker 7: The John der Gator x UV lets you cut Pack Drive Scout welled stacked feed, pull, load, toe, spray and haul all in a single day. Is with the highest cargo box volume in its class, customizable features, and its own capacity of up to four thousand pounds.
Speaker 3: It gets the job done. You just have to get in the seat.
Speaker 7: Learn more at your John der dealer or visit John Dear dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash Gator XUV.
Speaker 8: Imagine combining the exciting investment opportunity of cryptocurrencies with the power of artificial intelligence to maximize your IRA four oh one K or other investment funds. Listen if you're looking for ways to accelerate your retirement growth. Block Trust IRA has market leading strategies and solutions for all levels of investors from one thousand dollars to millions, and they partner with Bitcoin Magazine's number one crypto trading fund in the world to maximize your returns. Plus, their team of IRA specialists is here to help you roll over your IRA or qualified retirement account to the new world of cryptocurrency investments. So make this free call all right now to set up your account and learn more.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred four seven five six eight two four eight hundred four seven five six eight two four eight hundred four seven five six eight two four. That's eight hundred four seven five sixty eight twenty four.
Speaker 9: Hello Americans, it's Uncle Sam here. If you owe ten thousand dollars or more in back taxes to the IRS or state.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 9: I've got important news that may help you negotiate a lower tax bill in today's economy. The IRS has released a variety of new rules and is offering more flexible terms to help Americans looking to settle their IRS debt. If you apply today, we may be able to lift your wage garnishments and release a freeze on your bank assets or business. Our team of tax professionals can resolve your case and stop collection actions against you, even if you've been audited or haven't filed a return in years. They can help. Call right now and find out if you qualify to settle your IRS debt for far less than what you owe. Pick up your phone right now and call us for a free five hundred dollars IRS tax review. Don't wait, here's the number.
Speaker 3: Call right now.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred nine four three nine two one five, eight hundred nine four three nine two one five eight hundred nine four three nine two one five again for the last time. That's eight hundred nine four three ninety two fifteen.
Speaker 1: Are you a fan of paranormal radio? Bigfoot, UFOs, ghosts, Hauntings, cryptids, True crime? After Dark Radio with Brian Alvarez there's live on Sports Byline every Wednesday at two pm Pacific five Eastern, talking all manner of the strange and unusual, from the latest news of the weird to interviews with the top names in the field. After Dark is your source for paranormal radio. Check it out to Pacific five Eastern every Wednesday live on Sports Byeline USA.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike SIMPERBB on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network. Got the show.
Speaker 1: Bray Nelver is here Wrestling Observer Live, so it's official. The Raw after Summer Slam is now officially branded the Raw After Summer Slam. So you know, you can see that they're trying to basically do two WrestleManias. There's the WrestleMania and the ra after WrestleMania. Now there's the Summer Slam and the Rafter Summer Slam. And my guess would be that at some point we're probably gonna have the Royal Rumble two night event and the Raw after the Royal Rumble. I'm not sure you're gonna make that work with Survivors series. Although, for being honest, you know, the Survivor series. If they're doing war games and they got to do two war games, I mean long matches, dude.
Speaker 6: And two similar get them on separate nights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, although you know it's weird, is like, uh, you know those matches this weekend, for the most part, they were just short. So like if you added the time of all those matches together, it's like, I mean, we could have done this on one night. It would have been fine, Like if if they would have run it like a triple or an aw show where I don't think it needed to be, you know, seven hours of wrestling. But still, if you'd have just done match match match match, it would have been probably a significantly better one night show than the two night show that had so much downtime that first night. I don't know what it was like both nights. I think at about the same amount of wrestling, but my god, the pacing of that first night was brutal, absolutely brutal. One twenty minute match in the entire first hour, like, oh my god. Anyway, the Raw after SummerSlam, I thought was I thought it was a pretty good show. We still have the issue where there's so many finishes that are so they're just awful. But as far as like you know, there were big stars on the show, they made big matches. We did get some clean finishes in the title matches, and we set up some things for down the road, and it felt it felt like a big show, which is you know, I don't want to do the comparison to aw but I guess that's kind of my job. You know, Tony likes to do these. Well, first off, Tony really should brand the Dynamite after a major pay per view is the Dynamite after all in, and it should be a big show. Put a few big matches on there, take a few matches off the pay per view and put them on that Dynamite show, like make it up, like you can't miss this show. All in just happened. People are hot. It was like a great show. Oh well, they got to tune in Wednesday. You gotta keep that momentum going. So I think that that's number one thing that you should do. And the other thing that I think is clear is you know it's been less, but you know this earlier this summer, it was like every other week was like a special edition of Dynamite. It had some branding to it and whatever, and like a lot of them, it was just like it was just a show. There was nothing special about it. I think that you should brand shows, not every week, but you know, maybe once a month or whatever, and those those have to be bigger than your normal Dynamite. A couple of big stars facing each other, put a meaningful title, not just some stupid title, like a meaningful title on the line, something like that. And you know, this show was all about branding the night after Summer Slam, and they did I mean whatever you think about the show, like they they did what they could to like make it feel like it was a much bigger than unusual raw.
Speaker 6: But to that end, imagine how effective the ending of this show would be and how jacked everyone would be if we got more main event finishes in the last two months rather than most of them also being.
Speaker 1: DQ's Well yeah, there's too many.
Speaker 6: Like if this was the first time this happened in the last two months, this would have felt monumental. You know, this would have had the you know the same feel as you know Hogan discovering the two twin refs and throwing it like just this ending could have been so monumental. But I found watching the match it's like, yeah, it's fine, but I'm just waiting for the run in interference DQ or whatever's going to happen at the end of this, because it's fairly commonplace now.
Speaker 1: So it opened up with Seth coming out to celebrate that he'd fooled everybody even though he hadn't, and he's.
Speaker 6: And fooling everyone accomplished nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, voting, and then out comes La Knight, and La Knight actually asked a good question, which is you got that briefcase, why do you have to fake an injury? And he says, you faked it so I couldn't hurt you like I wanted to, and.
Speaker 6: He voluntarily took his finish.
Speaker 1: Well he did, I mean, so he basically said I beat you and I won a title shot. And Adam Pearce came out and he was upset and Seth and led everybody. So he said, you know what, forget these normal rules tonight. Seth Rowin's La Knight for the title here tonight with Braun and Bronson ban from Ringside.
Speaker 6: I was so happy with this because I hate when the heel riles the crowd up, teases they're going to get something they really want, and then they just say no and don't deliver it, which happens far too often, and I'm like, why do you make the crowd so unhappy? But when Pierce came out and made them happier, I'm like, perfect, accomplished two things, So I thought that was excellent.
Speaker 1: So then we had uh domin Aj having his segment together. First they set up a match with dragon Leaf for later, and then domin Aj they had a deal and this feud must continue, much like Seamus and Russev, which for those who don't recall, they had one long, boring match, then they had another long boring match, and to his credit, Seamus was great in both of those matches, but like, they were really long, and they were slow and the crowd was dead except when Seamus made a comeback. So they did it a third time here, and I guess I gotta give him credit. The third time, it was like, ain't gonna be long, It's gonna be short, and just like go hit each other. So as a match, it was much better.
Speaker 6: It's because they're building to the fourth.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah it was. It was bizarre because they just brawled outside for a double count out and then all the Geeks had to break him up, and it was like, am I gonna like did I step into a time machine? This should have been the first match. Instead they did a third match where they shot in the angle whatever, who cares, They're gonna do it again in a cage or something.
Speaker 6: Who knows.
Speaker 1: We had pent In Grayson Waller New Days at ringside. They're just dressed in these wacky outfits. This actually wasn't a bad match, you know Grayson. I mean he's he's got a goofy character and the thing with theory sucked, but like he's not bad. And he went for a dead eye and pent It turned a new Destroyer and pinned him, and then the New Day hit the ring and Penta laid all of them out, hit a big dive to the outside, danced in this enormous this hat that Woods was wearing. Like Seth would have been embarrassed. It was preposterous.
Speaker 6: Seth would have said, hey, no, that's too.
Speaker 1: Much, that's too much for me. I can't possibly wear that on national television. And we had Charlotte and Alexa, this Charlotte and Alexa thing. There. There are things in wrestling where I'll just do you know Charlotte Alexa? Have you met him?
Speaker 6: Yes, I've worked with both of them in the ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're friends. Yes, you would never know that watching it on television. They are so awkward together. I mean, they're so painfully awkward.
Speaker 6: The story, agree the story?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Have you been watching all of these shows?
Speaker 6: I haven't watched all of them, but I think there is a a we're friends and we're screwing around and it's like it. I think there is a degree of friendship there because there is sort of a behind the scenes looks on their face with a you know, we're screwing around having fun because that's our gimmick now, But there's a friendship there.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what I'll say about it. I cringe every time I watched these interview segments. I'm like, oh my god, like what is happening? But you know what, who am I? These fans are eating it up, so whatever, it's working for everybody except me, So great just like that punk match. So out come Raquel and Roxanne. Raquel flat out says, and this had to be like somebody had to screw up somewhere. She goes, I know we're not going to get a rematch, but we didn't come out here to not take the titles, like what. And then Charlotte volunteers to defend the titles and that appears comes out and they make the match official. So it's Alex and Charlotte versus Raquel and Roxanne. Like in the ring. It's fine, you know. And it was a clean finish. Charlotte got sent outside, Roxanne hit the ropes, Alexa flune out of nowhere, Sister Abigail won two to three clean pin in the middle. That's pretty good. I like the match. Yeah. We had an Eo Oscar Kyrie segment where Rheo walked up and says, beat Naomi, win that title because there's nothing I want to do more than to finally beat you and win that belt back, and Heo says, Ria, You're never gonna beat me. I like angles like this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a true sports angle.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it happens, Yes, Dragonly, it's always funny when you watch WWE because you have these assumptions like everybody's always on every show, even though there's a brand split, everybody's wrestled and beat everybody else. And then, like every now and then, someone will just throw out a stat like when they said Charlotte hasn't had a raw match in four years. I was like, that's impossible, and then like you go back and it turns out she hasn't had a raw match in four years. And then you know it's like Ria and Eo have been top women stars for like forever, and Rhea's you know, one of the biggest stars in the company, male or female, and then you know, one day out of the blue, they throw out Ree Ripley has never beaten Neo Sky and they're like what, And then you go back and it's true. Like every now and then, somebody will say something and I'm like, how is that possible? That's impossible, but it's true. So anyway, Dragon Lee and dominic Uh Dragon Lee. You know, he's he's fine, but like he's one of these big disappointments like some of these people. You know, people argue back and forth, this person should have gotten aw this person should have gotten to wherever. You know most of it. It's like, bro, you can't tell me Julia would be doing better in AW. She's doing great. Stephanie is doing great, you know, huge star Dragonly should have gotten AW. It's just not working here. And three El Grande's interface.
Speaker 6: Although there's nothing to say that he couldn't end up just being a hologram in AW.
Speaker 1: That's also true. That is also true. So anyway, domb one. After distractions by multiple El Grandees, we had uh four of them now yeah, Becky promo interrupted by Nicki. They had an awesome back and forth and of course the biggest, the biggest pop was when Becky made mention that my husband and I are the biggest husband wife group and all of wrestling, and it could have been you but oh yeah, you can't see him anymore. And everybody went wild for this line. I mean, this was like the line of the year. It was. It was a line that resulted in chance that had to be bleeped off the show. So Nicki demanded a title match. Becky gave her a cheap shot, and I'm sure they'll be facing off in UH in Paris. And then the main event was Seth and La for the title and DQ finished when Punk just ran in and attacked Seth. It was like a good match up until the lame finish and then Punk is attacking him and he's beating him down, and bron Breaker, who like was limping this weekend and had his his kneet taped up, this guy ran so fast down that that Jesus he murdered Punk and then he got in the ring and basically the Heels just absolutely destroyed everybody. Roman Reins showed up on the raw after Summer Slams and they beat him up and stole his second pair of shoes and three tsunamis, so he might be out for a while to film that Street Fighter movie. Seemed like an injury angle, but I.
Speaker 6: Guess I want to give Seth an La credit. There was a double count out earlier on the show, and at the end when they were fighting outside Forever, they both took time to break the count. Kudos for them paying attention back in.
Speaker 1: A moment Observer Live.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike Simpervivi on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: In the show, Brian Alvarez here Wrestling Observer Live, Lance Storm joining us here today, Escape from Denver, Flash that book again, Lance. Yeah, Brady was just on the show last Wednesday, the After Dark Show where we talked all manner of Denver Airport conspiracies, which was a fun show because I never even heard of it, Like can you believe that? Not a big conspiracy guy. But so I I did as little research as humanly possible so I could just ask a bunch of questions, cause, you know, if I've never heard about it, because I'm you know, I presume no one else has either, So I wanted to go in like your your average listener. It turns out I was wrong. It's a big deal. Yeah, Escape from Denver is a big fricking deal. So I probably should have been much more nervous doing that show if i'd only known, all right, what you got coming up.
Speaker 6: For Impact Impact Thursday evening eight pm Eastern Sports and at three sixty in Canada, Access TV and TNA Plus in the US. There's probably other means by which to watch it as well. I don't have the lineup handy on me, so I'm unable to plug the specific matches.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, well, that's okay, Lance, because you're going to be back on here. What's today Tuesday? Okay, I guess we'll see you Friday. I'll plug. I'll plug TNA when I get that card here. Brother and E Murgens is coming August fifteenth with Trick Williams versus Moose for the T and T title or the TNA title, and Leon Slater versus Cedric Alexander. So a lot of stuff and that's it, everybody. We gotta wrap it up and wrap it up. Thanks for listening. Tonight Brian and Vinie show, we'll be talking mid South wrestling. It's gonna be a lot of fun. Granny will join us plenty more. We'll talk to you next time Wrestling Observer Live. You have been listening to the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network