Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central yew. When you hear off the grid, you probably think of living in a cute cottage in the woods, like Ted Kavinski. But you don't have to venture way into the wilderness to live like Ted. Meet Josh Spodek, astrophysicist, NYU professor and real life captain Planet.
Speaker 2: I used to empty my garbage weekly. Now I empty my garbage once in twenty nineteen, once in twenty eighteen, once in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Oh kay twin. I also only take out my trash once a year.
Speaker 1: But recently Josh went even further, taking his Manhattan apartment off the electrical grid completely. So what is your problem with electricity to kill in your family?
Speaker 3: Or did it?
Speaker 4: Because I am now realizing that's kind of something that could happen.
Speaker 2: I do use electricity. I have my solar panels that to take up to the roof and charge the battery, and but that's it. I try to minimize my footprint as much as I can.
Speaker 1: Now what exactly is electricity, and I know the basics.
Speaker 3: It's the stuff that's in the air.
Speaker 2: Electricity actually very complicated.
Speaker 1: When people think it's simple, I'm like, are you dumb.
Speaker 2: In one sense, it's simple and that it just works because that's how gravity gravity. So we've learned to control this power through wires and batteries and things like that. So almost always you're going to be and I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Josh's typical day as an eco warrior starts with cardiom going.
Speaker 3: Up eleven flights of stairs with his solar panels, his heavy, heavy solar panels. By the way, you know, we're like breathing out carbon right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all part of the biosphere, but it's not bringing new carbon from outside the biosphere.
Speaker 3: Right up there, man, just give me like one second.
Speaker 1: Luckily I was able to find a task grabit to go up the remaining ten flights of.
Speaker 2: Stairs connect the solar panel to the battery.
Speaker 1: Cool And it's not just about saving energy. Josh has also been living packaging free for a decade.
Speaker 3: Americans throw away two.
Speaker 1: Hundred and sixty eight millions on trash per year, which is enough to feed ten rats. But Josh, there's a better way.
Speaker 2: I keep all my garbage here. And the last time I emptied this was Christmas twenty nineteen, So this is my fourth year on one load of garbage.
Speaker 3: Do you mind if I give this year.
Speaker 2: I'd pass on that, okay, and if you bring a reasonable container next time.
Speaker 3: This isn't reusable.
Speaker 2: People in the future will be dealing with it for five hundred years.
Speaker 1: Or more so five hundred years, someone will be using it, maybe my great great granddaughter.
Speaker 2: They were amazing it so much as it'll be in their bloodstreams plastic. It doesn't decompose, it necessary with their hormonal system. It causes disease.
Speaker 3: You have quite the imagination.
Speaker 1: Josh also uses that imagination in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: So this is split pee. I got carrot beat cabbage. I just put a nutritional yeast.
Speaker 1: It's like really fragrant one appetite.
Speaker 2: I hope you like it. I think this will be better tomorrow after the flavors mixed a bit nice.
Speaker 1: This way of life seemed really difficult. How is Josh keeping himself going?
Speaker 2: So this life style may look like deprivation sacrifice to others, but for me, it's really about joy totally.
Speaker 3: You seem very joyful.
Speaker 2: Pickle a sad.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I compost, I recycle and I do what I can, but I have to balance that with living my regular life.
Speaker 3: Right, that's usually what I'm saying to myself.
Speaker 2: And you think, do I have to think about every other person on the planet every time.
Speaker 3: I do it exactly how I think. It's like you're reading my brain.
Speaker 2: But systemic change begins with personal change. I got to quote Abraham Lincoln here. Okay, nothing damages you more than to do something that you believe is wrong.
Speaker 3: And I'll quote Abraham Lincoln. God bless America. He said that a lot.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, Josh had inspired me, and I was ready to make a difference too, going a full twenty four hours living life this boat X style. This is a day in my life with zero electricity and zero waste. I start my day by waking up woods and no electricity means no lights. Luckily, my toxic roommate isn't home, so I'm using her food to make my famous green Gloves smoothie.
Speaker 3: I start with.
Speaker 1: Bananas, some beautiful organic tale, one scoop of collagen, and then next up a trip to pre cycle, a packaging free store where you bring your own containers. Good thing. I always travel with my dupperwares. Josh, if you're watching, check.
Speaker 3: It out, be head.
Speaker 6: I'm really doing this.
Speaker 1: Hello, so these are from oats right here, and then last but not least.
Speaker 3: Vis this flower. Sure you can.
Speaker 1: Probably just wave my whole hand just to make it a little bit easier.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, I did it.
Speaker 3: That was only ninety minutes me. Thank you so much. I mean, you have the wrong apartment. Get out of here.
Speaker 1: Little did I know things were about to get really, really bad.
Speaker 6: You said you had five minutes ago.
Speaker 1: You okay, ah, good bro, all good.
Speaker 3: Just me here with my thoughts.
Speaker 6: That's chill.
Speaker 3: I know what to do. Sadly, I didn't make it, but.
Speaker 1: You know what I did make a difference, and that's something they can never take away from me. America's democracy may not be the strongest, but at least it's the oldest.
Speaker 2: There seems to be some sort of gerontocracy.
Speaker 1: We have the oldest leaders among rich countries, and we love.
Speaker 6: All of them.
Speaker 3: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, this guy.
Speaker 1: What are their drawbacks to having our leadership? With one foot in heaven, I spoke to Mark Fisher, neuropolitics researcher.
Speaker 3: At UC Irvine.
Speaker 8: We know the brain function tends to deteriorate with aging. One of the first to go of all the cognitive functions is called executive function. It's decision making and what can be more important for a political leader than decision making?
Speaker 3: What am I going to have for freaking lunch? I'm president of the United States. What the heck am I going to have for lunch?
Speaker 1: That's a hard decision, and I hope that I have a burger for lunch. I guess I've had this freaky misconception that old people are wiser and smarter than me, and it feels like what you're telling me is that that's not true and I should never trust them.
Speaker 8: Oh, I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 8: I think that the experience that when gains over the course of life time extraordinarily important. But there are some measurable cognitive functions that do begin to decline over the age of sixty.
Speaker 1: So even though you have more experiences, you are still getting dumber.
Speaker 8: I'm a neurologist. Dumb is not a word that we use.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'll say it and don't worry. So having a bunch of old brains in charge might be a bit of a problem. But this wise old neurologist actually has a.
Speaker 8: Solution or Neuropolitics Center. We came out with a recommendation that cognitive tests should be done on all politicians, not just older politicians, all politicians, Woman man cam raked.
Speaker 1: Unsurprisingly, Trump says he aced his cognitive test already.
Speaker 2: If you get it in order you get extra points.
Speaker 8: An individual has given a number of things to remember, and then after a period of time three to five minutes, they're asked to repeat that.
Speaker 3: I mean, those aren't hard things to remember, right, person? Mom.
Speaker 6: It's only one.
Speaker 8: Part of the exam, yeah, thank By itself, it doesn't determine a whole lot. I mean you have to look at the entire exam, and you have to look at.
Speaker 3: Them with personality. I mean I have a really good personality.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 8: But that's not really that's really not assessed in no cognifstion doesn't need to be.
Speaker 1: Without seeing his test results, we can only guess how well or not well Trump's brain.
Speaker 3: Is doing it by a lot, including Obama.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what, but it did make me curious, could my brain be president? Name Grace, My date of birth June thirtieth, nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 8: This first part of the exam, this isn't scored. So this is just identification material.
Speaker 1: Okay, God, I would like to be scored on those two actually possible because I think I got them right. Do you have more difficulties doing everyday activities due to thinking problems?
Speaker 3: No, I have almost nothing to do on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: At the bottom of the very last page, right, I have finished on the blank line provided.
Speaker 8: So this is a test of delayed recall.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 6: This one is so easy?
Speaker 1: Can I call my mom to just double check last question?
Speaker 8: In the course of just a few pages, we've covered many cognitive domains.
Speaker 3: Sir, did I pass? Let's hear it? Brother, Come on, come on, you got it?
Speaker 1: Looks now. If only someone could go to Washington and get our elect did leaders to take this test?
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, I'll do it.
Speaker 6: Hello, Hey, how you doing to see it?
Speaker 3: You too? My name is Grace A.
Speaker 6: Maxwell.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for a congress person.
Speaker 6: Well I am a congressman.
Speaker 3: So who does like your your botox or your work? You're look incredible. It got you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it. I'm actually twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Yes, most junior congress Person Maxwell Frost is the only person who would talk to me for this story. So how would you feel about having a cognitive test required for politicians?
Speaker 6: I don't think we should have that.
Speaker 3: Okay, why not you worried you'd failed it?
Speaker 6: What is a cognitive test?
Speaker 3: For example? I can show you one. Yeah, what are these?
Speaker 6: A rhino and a harp?
Speaker 1: Congratulations, sir, you get to keep your position.
Speaker 3: They told me that if you screw this up that this office would be.
Speaker 6: My I'll be honest.
Speaker 9: I had to think for like just two seconds about what animal that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, in this baby politician's view, the issue with politics isn't old brains, it's the lack of young ones.
Speaker 9: I do think it's an issue that, yeah, young people aren't as representative. I don't think we should like boot out all the old people and just have young people running.
Speaker 6: So you're not agist, I'm not an agist.
Speaker 3: One. Do you feel like you would retire?
Speaker 6: I don't know what I would retire, But I do think we need term limits.
Speaker 1: Do you think if you stay in Congress for thirty four years you'll be able to bring Congress to term limits.
Speaker 6: Because of how this place works. Maybe, but my hops will have it way before that, So.
Speaker 3: It's not hopeless.
Speaker 1: We just need our young politicians to stick around until they'll be able to change the system, however long it takes.
Speaker 3: You know what, I think I'll vote for you.
Speaker 6: You can't.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 6: Because I live in Orlando. I represent Orlando, Florida. If you move to.
Speaker 1: Orlando, I could go on a paid business trip to Disney World leave my vote there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's illegal too.
Speaker 3: The election is so close and the stakes are so hot.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can't think about anything else. Can someone just tell me what's gonna happen so I can chill the fuck out.
Speaker 3: Presidential race that a dead heat.
Speaker 10: Deadlocked at exactly forty eight percent, got Trump up two points, Harris with a three point advantage.
Speaker 2: Maybe Trump up a.
Speaker 3: Point or two, Harris up by four.
Speaker 2: Everything you're about to see is within the margin of ra in the margin vera.
Speaker 1: So what do these numbers mean? I could do the a beautiful mind thing, but maybe it's just quicker to talk to an expert.
Speaker 3: Anthony, who the heck is going to win this election?
Speaker 10: I can tell you that this race is effectively tied, has been for a while. In all the polls, there are so few undecided voters who say they may or may not vote and they'll probably decide this.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you for all of this information. It's been really helpful. I'm wondering is going to win the election.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you that.
Speaker 1: Do you think that polls are the best way to predict elections.
Speaker 10: Well, poles tell you what people are thinking now, and more importantly, they show you why people are thinking it rat But what do we know about people?
Speaker 2: They sometimes change their minds, right, So.
Speaker 4: This morning, for example, I was at a diner. I know what I want, It's going to be two eggs, scrambled sausage potatoes. But it was eleven thirty, so I was seriously tempted to get a chicken seesar wrap.
Speaker 3: And that's basically exactly what you do.
Speaker 10: Not really, but it does underline the idea that people can make different decisions at different times.
Speaker 4: Can you just blink once if it's going to be the person that I want it to be, Okay, that's.
Speaker 2: A really bad sign.
Speaker 1: So, despite that being their only job, the polls can't tell us who is going to win. Fortunately, there is someone who has called nine out of ten of the last elections using as of thirteen questions about the economy and the electorate.
Speaker 5: I don't pay attention to the polls. They're snapshots, not predictors. My system, the thirteen Keys to the White House, examines the fundamental forces that drive presidential elections.
Speaker 3: So how did you settle on thirteen keys?
Speaker 5: Using pattern recognition every election from eighteen sixty to nineteen eighty?
Speaker 3: Why not fourteen?
Speaker 2: Could have been any number?
Speaker 3: Why not fifteen?
Speaker 5: I love all those numbers, but the big messages it's governing, not campaigning that counts that the elector as a whole, ask whether the administration has done a good enough job for four more years or they want to make a change.
Speaker 1: So, Allan, what is your prediction for this election twenty twenty four?
Speaker 5: The keys indicate that Kamala Harris will become the first woman president of the US.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: Allen's track record is solid, but he did make one popsy in two thousand.
Speaker 5: I'll say I got Florida wrong because I was calling Gore and in fact Bush ultimately one. I say I was correct because Florida way disproportionately rejected ballots cast by African Americans.
Speaker 1: So your system works perfectly unless someone is stealing an election. Yes, thank god, that won't happen, right right, Okay, So is there one other reliable method for predicting the election?
Speaker 11: So election results are a perfect thing for astrology, to forget, the position of the planets when you're born influences a person's personality and how their life unfolds.
Speaker 1: And Amy has been amazingly accurate in some of her predictions, like naming the exact date that Joe Biden stepped down.
Speaker 11: There is a full moon coming up that was in Capricorn at twenty nine degrees, and twenty nine degrees represents an ending in Capricorn represents old age. So I just put together that he was going to drop out.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Actually, So what are your current predictions for the twenty twenty four election?
Speaker 11: I predict Kamala's gonna win the president.
Speaker 1: So basically like this election, what you're saying is that Kamala's chart just looks more powerful than Donald Trump's.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Donald Trump's chart is giving desire for power and control, and Kamala's chart is giving more following her life path than what she's meant to do.
Speaker 3: So is it real? Is astrology real?
Speaker 11: Yes, it's very real, Okay, very real.
Speaker 1: The stars had made a clear prediction for the election, But what could they predict about something that really mattered like me.
Speaker 11: I do see a wealth aspect in your chart.
Speaker 3: That's a fabulous news.
Speaker 11: And Trump's a Gemini and you have a lot of Gemini energy, so.
Speaker 3: You would say Trump and I are similar. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Actually your venus is on his son, so you might.
Speaker 3: Would fall in love with him.
Speaker 1: My v is on his what? Now this is a marriage aspect actually changes everything?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna tell my girlfriend or am I?
Speaker 11: But for Trump, it's not outside the realm of possibility that he goes to jail.
Speaker 3: So my husband is going to jail. Yeah, but I'll be wealthy. Yeah, okay, good.
Speaker 11: You're gonna have the money.
Speaker 3: I am loving astrology.
Speaker 1: There you have it. But with both the stars and history predicting the future, do we even need to vote? Ah?
Speaker 5: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: The keys are based on history.
Speaker 5: And if people don't vote, you're going to break the pattern of history.
Speaker 3: So I have to vote.
Speaker 2: You must vote.
Speaker 5: I don't care who you vote for, but you must vote.
Speaker 3: You're such a lead not only Taurus. Let's cut that part out.
Speaker 1: Last time I was in Washington, d C. Was just two months ago. Which feels like a lifetime. I was so young and naive looking for answers.
Speaker 3: What is your prediction for this election?
Speaker 1: Twice before, and Alan Lichtman gave them to me.
Speaker 5: Pabla Harris will become the first woman president.
Speaker 1: But Alan Lichtman was wrong.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump has been elected president.
Speaker 10: Can you just admit that you got it wrong with your foolish little equation.
Speaker 3: You got it wrong, Alan.
Speaker 5: Denial, You've got it wrong, monstrously and stupidly wrong.
Speaker 1: Al, I seriously trusted you. Well, no, no, it's not your time to talk yet. I seriously trusted you, and I thought that what you told me was the truth.
Speaker 5: I was being honest.
Speaker 2: There was a prediction, not a fact that I told you.
Speaker 3: I'm a human being.
Speaker 1: Right, you didn't tell me that you were a human.
Speaker 3: Being and that you might be.
Speaker 5: I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone. I'm not psychic. My predictions are based on history. And this year, which you know is the craziest year ever, the pattern of history was broken. That can happen?
Speaker 3: Did you even notice? I got a haircut, actually did, and it looks great. I agree. It really frames my face.
Speaker 1: If only Alan's political judgment was as good as his taste in haircuts, but it wasn't, and I needed to know why.
Speaker 3: What are some of your excuses?
Speaker 5: I definitely think I was thrown off by pushing by. Now we've never seen a sitting president the elected nominee out, so that leads me to perhaps reevaluate my call on the contest.
Speaker 1: Key. Yeah, I knew that was stupid, and I was going to tell you, but I didn't want a woman's playing.
Speaker 5: The broader point is I do think Harris's race and gender played.
Speaker 3: A role here.
Speaker 5: There are deep strings within this country of misogyny, racism, xenophobia.
Speaker 3: I wish I had told me that the first time. She could have maybe put frown that in there.
Speaker 1: And to be fair, Alan was the only thought leader who got this prediction wrong. Have you talked to Charlie XCX about this or anything? Talk to who, Charlie XCX. Maybe I'm not hearing your right, Charlie XCX.
Speaker 5: Charlie XCS. I don't know who that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she said that Kamala is brat, and it just at this point I'm kind of thinking.
Speaker 3: Perhaps Trump was more brats. Oh okay, yeah, but you and her have not spoken. We have not spoken.
Speaker 1: I was secretly glad they hadn't spoken, because that would make me crazy jealous, which is an issue I'd been working on with my therapist.
Speaker 3: But did Alan have any regrets of his own?
Speaker 1: Are you thinking, why did I ever get into politics? Why didn't I, you know, just stick to modeling or something.
Speaker 5: This is one prediction. In over forty years, I was listed as number eighty five of the world's one hundred leading geopolitical experts. But people think, oh, he made her own prediction that invalidates him as a person. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I one time was in an uber and there was an iPad on the back of the seat and it said what sound does a dog make?
Speaker 3: And bark was right there. I clicked moo.
Speaker 1: But lucky for me, it's not my job, and so it really had no impact on my life.
Speaker 5: Like to say one more thing, please, Yes, we shouldn't just write off an era. We can learn a lot about our politics and our society from analyzing the mistake.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, if you can't.
Speaker 5: Learn from your mistakes, then you're in big trouble.
Speaker 1: You know what, Alan, I forgive you, and I hope that we're back here in four years.
Speaker 5: I hope so, and I hope you're right that time. The Great Benjamin Disraeli, the former late Prime Minister of England, once said finality is not a word we use in politics.
Speaker 1: I think Charlie XCX said that.
Speaker 2: That's that.
Speaker 3: I think Charlie XCX all that.
Speaker 5: Every time you say that, I kind of go watch because it's not a name that rings bunny bells of leagues.
Speaker 1: The world is up in arms about social media companies being run by Trump billionaires, but are they mad enough to get off the apps?
Speaker 3: Let's put this on TikTok and find.
Speaker 6: Out that actually made me so mad?
Speaker 3: You seem pissed.
Speaker 1: It definitely just feels very propaganda, incredibly angry, and to see it so blatantly broadcasted that like the wealth of I mean combined wealth of like trillion dollars, like sits right in front of the cabinet, right next to the president.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you think the anger is justified?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, completely.
Speaker 1: I think you guys are so pissed you're like about to punch me. Calm down. Trump sucks, so it's kind of I don't know, I just he's gonna be pissed to hear you say that though he really likes you. What apps are mostly Instagram and TikTok okay, I'm on Instagram and Snapchat.
Speaker 3: Okay, Instagram and X.
Speaker 1: So if you mostly use Instagram, at what point would you be like, Okay, I have to get off this app.
Speaker 6: When I'm Instagram. I'm not being rutten.
Speaker 3: By Mark Zuckerberg.
Speaker 5: I'm just like I'm deciding, like all right, I'm gonna go on here and yeah, like kind of finding more cooking things.
Speaker 1: An amazing one pop pasta recipe. It's actually five that being monetized to Trump.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm like, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: Do you think you'd be willing to pick an app and delete one with me today? We don't even need social media when we have books like this, like I'll read just a little.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I won't bore you with it.
Speaker 1: Tuesday mixed berries and chiass, Wednesday honey and Greek yogurt.
Speaker 3: So what would it take you to delete the app Instagram? M Oh, I mean I deleted it last week.
Speaker 5: I'll probably delete it again.
Speaker 3: We don't need it, but you do say you keep redownloading it.
Speaker 1: I do. So what do you think, Mark, Zuckerberg could do to make you kind of kick it out. I don't know, I'm probably already no, no enough, Yeah, we probably should delete the app?
Speaker 3: Do you guys want I do it? I read now?
Speaker 1: Wait, I saw this post that was like people get pomo from not being on social media, but then they get phomo.
Speaker 3: From real life from being on social media. Oh fat? Is that like beta? Like I need to go back to school. But over my head? All right, I'll delete with you.
Speaker 6: Can we do together?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We'll do it together?
Speaker 6: Is beautiful.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna delete. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It doesn't con but for the sake of this.
Speaker 1: I mean here, you can choose one. Don't go with because I don't stop renting little houses. We'll delete it after one, okayase? Alright?
Speaker 7: Two?
Speaker 6: One?
Speaker 3: You're such a power.
Speaker 2: There's such a you don't understand.
Speaker 1: We were doing this together.
Speaker 5: Together?
Speaker 3: Do it? Tick you off?
Speaker 1: Come to.
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: I really got people to change their minds and delete these apps and divest from billionaires.
Speaker 3: So go ahead and like, follow, and subscribe for more.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 2: Plus Paramount Podcasts