Speaker 1: It's another DNA test, happy ending after seventy years of misery.
Speaker 2: It's one more thing. I'm strong and gedye. I look forward to that. I can't imagine what that is. But first this, as it came up in a one circle I run in. I run in many different kinds of circles, Katie, Oh, okay, running in circles. Indeed, this was tweeted out by Marjorie Taylor Green yesterday. It was a retweet of a story from Robert F. Kennedy Junior. So you combining RFK Junior with Marjorie Taylor Green, she tweeted out, holy shit, Robert F. Kennedy Junior just exposed democrats for poisoning children's food. This is massive. And I didn't actually read the story, but I saw it bouncing around and I had it brought up to at least one person in private life about democrats are poisoning our food and we need to watch out for it. It's amazing, like strick nine or rat poison, or like too much sugar and yeah, just all the all the bad for you chemicals, which I mean, and our kid Jr. Is standing in front of a box of Captain Crunch and cheese, it's and all that sort of stuff. I mean, he's not he's not lying about how unhealthy all that stuff is. You know, stuff that tastes good. It's all the stuff that tastes good. And I eat some of it and I'm still alive. And you know, I don't know if it's a did you just cheese? Its? No?
Speaker 3: Yes, no.
Speaker 1: Refined garbage. You people are feeding into your bodies. Do you not like your bodies? Do you want them to be dead? You won't need you won't eat it?
Speaker 2: Cheese it no?
Speaker 3: No, what I thought I knew you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something is wrong. I always do with my son when he says stuff like that, I say, get out right now, you walk out. We're not having a miss how you're adopted, he said. My son said the other day, I don't like steak. I said, get out. I'm big on.
Speaker 3: You're out of the will at this point in my life.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. That's it.
Speaker 1: You're out of the will. I try to avoid the ultra process stuff. I try very hard these days.
Speaker 2: Good for you, aren't you? Aren't you better than everyone?
Speaker 1: Well, now I gotta look at I've got to admit I'm really into the pretzel chips. I don't don't think those are ultra fine, but I got to look at the ingredients because if they are, I'll stop eating them really right after I polish off the three bags I got in the in the pantry.
Speaker 2: You just hate joy. I don't understand your entire moderation. Yes, you should see my liquor cabinet. There's a little that's one of the first. That's one of the first things you ever said to me thirty four years ago. Yeah, I love Jesuits. No, everything in moderation, including moderation, which I had, oh point, had never heard before. Yeah, that is It's been my life story. Yeah. Now you've got a tally band like no tolerance for Jesus, very much like that. Yeah, replaced them with Scotch right, which.
Speaker 1: I would make my wife walk fifteen feet behind me, and I don't allow her to eat Jesus.
Speaker 2: Ah boy.
Speaker 1: So yet another one of these twenty three and Me or whatever service it was DNA match stories. This one is quite astounding. There's part of me that hesitates to even bring the story because there are so many families. You know what a zealot I am not about cheese its, but about free range parenting, parenting and how it's important that you let your kids take risks and try and fail and get lost and find their way back again. All those things did give you enough confidence to take on life without lots of anxiety and stuff like that. And I think this will of the great failings of the modern world. But this is a story about a child abduction who and you know, it's every parent's most horrifying nightmare, certainly in that top tier. This one is in nineteen fifty one a park in West Oakland, California. A little boy and his a little older brother, I think he's a couple of years older, are playing in the park and some woman spoke Spanish to their mom, who was born in Puerto Rico, and they chatted and laughed and the rest of it. And it's not clear from the story, but mom's attention was taken away or whatever.
Speaker 2: Six year old.
Speaker 3: Bam gone the blank of it. Wow, never found.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're not required to keep your eye on your kid every second at the park, right because, but oh my god, that's horrific.
Speaker 1: Worth mentioning that this sort of thing was much more common back in the day. It wasn't It was more common than this today.
Speaker 2: But obviously it's way easier to get away with. I mean, is there been no cameras anywhere, no DNA.
Speaker 1: No cell phone pin in the tower, DNA, DNA's well, which factors in the story. Obviously I've already said.
Speaker 2: No, wait to the story out beyond your tiny little neighborhood. Really right, Michael TV picked it up? Then it just be local.
Speaker 1: Still, so, little six year old Luis Albino was whisked away. The only witness his older brother Roger, who again was just a little bit older, who who saw the woman in a bandana speaking Spanish to his Puerto Rican mom, offered him candy and whisked him away. What happened was this woman flew him, little Luis to the East coast, and she and her husband raised him as their own.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's that's not your original fear if your kid gets snatched, that they're gonna be raised by family who wants a kid.
Speaker 1: And loved right right, you know, still unspeakable nightmare. But the problem was, for seventy years, nobody knew what happened to him seven and the family always held the missing child in their hearts would talk about him and had pictures hanging up in the home. The mother, as you might guess, worried and cried and thought about it for the rest of her days until she passed away in the year two thousand and five. She never gave up hope that her son was alive somewhere. Well, he was.
Speaker 3: What happened was his niece? I think, yeah, his name his niece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did one of those DNA tests and just for fun, kicked around looking for a match and found a man. Unexpectedly, it was a twenty two percent match, and reached out to him but nothing. He did not respond, and I can get that either. He thought it was a scammer. He didn't even see it. He thought it was junk email or what have you. And so four years went by, but then she and her daughters started thinking about her cousin who was whisked away and never seen again, and started to research old Oakland Tribune articles on microfilm at the public library, and one had a picture of her two uncles, Roger and little Luise, who disappeared, and this reignited a quest to find her missing relatives. So she went to the Oakland PD and said, hey, I don't know if this would be helpful at all, but I found a guy who's a twenty two percent match to me on the East coast, And so the investigator said, wow, that could be something. Fired up the case again found this guy. Turns out it was little Louise, who had fought in Vietnam as a marine. He'd become a father and a grandfather, he was a firefighter.
Speaker 2: Did he think those people were his parents or what was his memory of everything? They don't make that clear because you're in the start. If you're six, you would you'd remember being taken away from your parents.
Speaker 1: You would have vague memories of it. But who knows what sort of you know, hinky psychological Tell a few tricks they played on the poor little lad.
Speaker 2: If you told a six year old over and over again and this is horrific, but no, your mom, your mom and dad told me to do this. They wanted to do this. They wanted you to be sent off. Blah blah blah, whatever you need to so.
Speaker 1: That that lady, that lady was your babysitter. We'd asked her to take care of you. Sure you can repeat that over and.
Speaker 2: Over and over again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, this guy, finally Luis Uh flew out west and met his his niece, her sister, other relatives in Oakland, and then the next day, in a heartbreaking and heartwarming scene, simultaneously, he met his long lost big brother, who was the last person to see him snatched away from the park and and they they hit it off and I had wonderful, you know, time together. And his dad died. I'm sorry, not his dad. His brother died a few months after that, in July. I think of this year. It was his final meeting. I'm sorry he was in July for three weeks. It was his final meeting because the brother then died in August. Sorry, I had timetable all jumbled up. But anyway, I think he died happily. The older brother. He was at peace with himself, knowing that his brother was finally found.
Speaker 3: Man, can you imagine anything that heavy? Oh and the mom who passed clinging to hope.
Speaker 1: The gal that the niece told the Mercury News I was always determined to find him. And who knows my story out there? It could help other families going through the same thing. I would say, don't give up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to wonder how many times this has happened, and how many cases there are out there like this that just haven't been uncovered yet.
Speaker 2: Yeez, I don't know. I don't want to take this dark, this podcast dark. But I think I assume the vast majority of time the kids have horrific lives if not snuffed out fairly soon. Isn't that usually the case sexual pervs? Isn't that majority now or in nineteen fifty one? I would have to look into that. I don't know the answer to that question.
Speaker 1: I assume what you're implying is correct, but I don't know that it is. Oh, then you got the all the crimes that have been solved with this DNA stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I have many thoughts, but they're all so dark. I don't know that I wanted to discuss them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't really, I haven't done the Hey can you find me matches and who are my relatives around the country? I probably should, just because you know I at.
Speaker 3: Worst, I think it would be a big nothing.
Speaker 2: You mean, you got a big brother you don't know about or what? Or well no, no, I just you know dad and another family on the side. I mean, what are you suggesting here my dad is still with us. Please, No, that would be shocking.
Speaker 1: I'd imagine a lot of people have gone into it thinking, well, what's the worst it could happen, It'll be interesting, and then find out dad has a family across town or what have you. But the only thing I've done, Katie and found out is that I am so incredibly white. I am the whitest white man who's ever whited. I mean, for what it's worth, and I don't particularly care. I just thought it was kind of amuse.
Speaker 4: I'm apparently your white sister because I did the ancestry thing and found out I am also quite white.
Speaker 1: You're my sister from another myster Yeah, you could practically see my bones.
Speaker 2: I'm so white.
Speaker 3: Just a reminder to anybody that if you do the twenty three and meters, make sure you do a saliva sample, not a stool sample.
Speaker 2: Really messes up the results.
Speaker 1: You know what, Michael, that was idiotic and great, really messes up the results.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, well, I guess that's it. Oh that's one of your all time great smunk Get back an email. You need to brush your teeth more often.