Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, it is Roster Reset Day. Always one of my favorite podcasts to do every time. We do it throughout the course of the calendar year, but especially post draft, when you have your first real look at your ninety manter roster for the upcoming season. Will assess the Dolphins with where they are with that roster, where they need to go, where they've improved, where they can still get better, and the entire outlook as we barrel towards training camp here and a new NFL season from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast, daff roster turnover in the National Football League. Get used to it. This is the new NFL, as Mike McDaniel told us back at the owners meetings in March one year deals, constant scouring, thirty to forty new faces every season. That's kind of how ninety percent of the league is right now. You have a few teams that don't have that model. The Buffalo Bills are kind of like that right now, and you know, give them credit, they are one of the best teams in the league. But you'll see the Chiefs every year they hot swap players in and out of that roster as well.
Speaker 2: But there's the one way to get out of that.
Speaker 1: Is how Buffalo is able to get out of that, and the Chiefs for a while was to hammer the draft. And we are coming off a twenty twenty four class that featured seven players, four that had immediate impacts. They were contributors in the rookie season, no matter how higher low you think that contribution was. And those same four players I expect will have an even further expanded role, which you can get a little bit, you know, over your skis on those predictions. Not every growth is linear for every player, so to assume immediate growth is not always a good process. But I do think in the case of these four guys, we are on a good trajectory. Patrick Paul, who, as I'll get into, I am very very bullish on his upside.
Speaker 2: Jalen Wright, I mean same as Pat.
Speaker 1: I think that right, I think rights the running back on the roster, and I'm gonna take that end of the season. Malik Washington, who kind of did what you'd expect, and I think that December run will be more of the norm from him from jump the season. And I also think that Patrick mc I've leftp Chop Robinson, who's already your best edge defender. Good job, Travis, But I also think that Patrick McMorris has a chance to start, and Mo Kamara has some of the goods as well. And for posterity, of course, Toaj Washington missed his entire rookie season, and that's tough for those guys. They get here, they spend all that time getting ready for the season, they get hurt, and then it's been two years since they've played competitive football and they get forgotten by a little bit. So Taj Washington, don't forget him. Patrick McMorris in that same role as well. But now you're gonna get eight more rookies, and I feel good about the opportunity for a few of those guys to get on the field and make an immediate impact. I mean, Chris Greer talked about it in that pre draft press conference with the need to get immedia impact starters, and I would be pretty surprised if that's not what you get from Kenneth Grant and of course from Jonah Savoy and Ayah, who was a guy we targeted and went up for in the second round. So I think you'll get that from those guys and later on the draft potentially as well. And you know, for the future's sake, I mean, we've got all of our natural picks next year, seven rounds worth. We have the additional third we got from the Texans this year, and we are in line for a fourth round compensatory pick that can be lost. It can also be reduced, so it's not official yet, but that's what we're lined up for right now. And then if coach Weaver gets hired in the cycle, and frankly, I'm surprised he didn't get hired this time around, that would be another third in both the next two drafts. So next year you could have two thirds and a fourth in addition to all your original draft picks. So it could potentially be a team that continues to have more than the seven a lot of draft picks and build that way. So let's go ahead and go over the entire offense right now. We'll do the defense on Monday, because this my copy is like at thirty five hundred words, So yeah, I am. I didn't want to do a one hour long podcast for you guys here. So at quarterback to a tongue of Iloa, Zach Wilson, and Quinn Ewers are the three guys in tow I think you start here. This is better quarterback room than what you had last year. Now, the performance from the non TA quarterbacks, that bar is pretty low, but I think the backup is better, and I think the developmental piece is better. I mean, last year was basically Tim Boyle, right because like Skylar Thompson was thrust into that backup role and it was Tim Boyle and then Tyler Huntly like you didn't really have one last year, and then there's Tua who gets better every single season. We're going to detail this in the offense as a whole section, but I think this offense has been successful in the sense that you've given tu Us something he's never had. Well, let me rephrase that, because the thing I'm alluding to is a rock solid offensive line at the same time as having electric playmakers on the outside. He had that in twenty twenty three, at least through the Eagles game, and I think the Patriots game after that as well. But after that game concluded, they had only just two more games with at least eighty percent of the offensive line starters, and like, yeah, you could lose guys this year too, but I think the top five guys are better than it was all but those first eight games of twenty twenty three, because the rest of the way you were without one of or at least two of Isaiah Wim Connor Williams, Robert Hunt, and to Ron Armstead. But guess what he did when he had either all of those guys or was missing just one guy. Austin Jackson included. Through the first eight weeks of that season, he was at a nice seventy point four percent completion rate, a nice smooth eight point eight yards per pass attempt, with eighteen touchdown passes. And you extrapolate that over a full season, you get a five thousand yard passer who threw for thirty five touchdowns. And he also had a passer rating for one h nine and the highest EPA per play in the NFL and the highest completion percentage over expected of any quarterback to that point.
Speaker 2: Season. He was the best quarterback in the league. He was the MVP of the league when he had that.
Speaker 1: And here's the kicker I would argue that this front five is better than the one he had that year, especially when injuries you know, accumulated and made that group what it was. But to put a pin and all that, you know how things around two can make him better and not just personnel per se. I think what you've seen with each of the last few years is he decides what's best for him and then comes back having achieved that goal two years ago was getting bigger in addition to the jiu jitsu training, and since then, you know, he he hasn't had the same type of injury that cost him time in that twenty twenty two season because he has that shoulder role where he rolls out of that contact and out of those hits. We saw it right away in the twenty twenty three preseason. Now this is the obvious caveat. His two injuries last year were on scramble plays right where he dives forward. So you know, the thing for me is like, unless it's the fourth quarter, December game, fourth down game on the line, like let's just go to the next game, because you know we need the quarterback. He is a very very good player, and any team that loser starting quarterback like you're gonna have a regression to your record and like not to you know, belabor the point.
Speaker 2: But I go back to last year.
Speaker 1: If we just slide and turn the ball over on down to the Buffalo Bills, I think you beat Seattle and then Tennessee, and then you beat the Patriots, which you did without Tua, and I think you beat the Colts too, and then you're five to one, and then you go into the Cardinals game and you know, maybe Jordan Poyer catches that interception, maybe he doesn't have that late hit to the head of the Buffalo Bills receiver. The week after that, and you're eight and one going to Los Angeles and you win a primetime game on the road against a playoff team to get to nine and one. I digress right, all right, But we also saw Tua come back with a better feel, understanding, willingness to take the short stuff and to get it to the quick game and the progression like the checkdowns, one of his best traits in my opinion. So I think the challenge this year for the Dolphins and for Tua is how to marry that dangerous vertical game with the efficient short game to get this offense back to that thirty points per game Barmater we had, you know, two seasons ago, because I think that's very much on the table right now. I think you'll see Tua take further command of this offense and the team, and I think he'll have his best year for two reasons. He'll be the best version of himself, and he has the best cast around him, with depth to endure what you endure with at the course of a season, with attrition. His best weapons, in my opinion, I mean Reakan Wadler still here. Maybe they're not the same Reacan wad from twenty twenty two. I don't think that's necessarily the case, but I can see you making that argument. And then it's deeper beyond those guys Malik and Nick Westbrook Akine, I like these I like Copley's UDFA receivers and arguably, I won't say definitively, but arguably the best offensive line he's had with Zach and Quinn. There's tons of unknown there, but I am so intrigued to see what Zach Wilson looks like in camp, because like, it has to be better than it was for the Jets for him to get this opportunity right like, and we've seen multiple quarterbacks go through you know, bust in their first contract and for the Jets, right Gino Smith, Sam Darnold both did that, and so like, I'm curious to see what it looks like for Zach Wilson on the other side of that, as a big detractor of his tape with the Jets and even out a BYU saying like, I don't see what everyone's seeing and making the second pick in the draft. It was a rough run for the Jets, but the comments out of Denver about how he changed to he is very fascinating and in line with what you saw with Darnold and with Gino and with Baker and all the quarterbacks that have had this this turnaround, and I just can't wait to see it for myself. And then with Quinn, I wonder how quickly he can get up to speed given some of the familiarity in the scheme. I think that the big knock on his tape was processing and seeing the field and you know, not getting the ball to the open receiver on time within the progression.
Speaker 2: And that's big here. You have to be able to do that here.
Speaker 1: But how fast can he get that to be part of his game and be a guy that you know can step into a game and make an impact that way. But the quarterback room I think has more potential than it's had behind Tua. There's a lot of unknown there, but ultimately I think it's a decent step ahead of where it was at this time a year ago. How about the running back room, we'll do that before our first break. Devon a Chan Jalen Wright. I'm gonna go Ali Gordon the second right, now form my number third on the depth chart. That that's my depth chart, speaking Alexander Madison and then Nate Nole the UDFA reported signing with alec Ingold the full back. I think we'll miss Raheem's presence on and off the field, but I don't think you failed to replace him and what his play style and body type and all that stuff was in fact, and I said this being a massive you know Raheem mostert fam I thought it multiple times last year he was gonna get Wally pipped when he was hurt by Jalen Wright and lose touches to Jay Dubb. And that had nothing to do with my feelings about Raheem, but rather my belief in Jalen, who was famous last year for being addicted to being in the building before everybody else, and that's not changed this offseason. He very much looks the part in great shape. I think he's the best back on the roster As a runner. Devon's multiple skill set makes him a unicorn of sorts, but I can kind of see him being like the Reggie Bush to the Deuce McAllister, if you will, because I keep going back to that Patriots game when we were without Tua and who was the one making the big plays in that game after Devon Ah Chiang got hurt on like the second play of the game, whatever it was, and it's not because it was blocked up well once or twice. That's kind of how we spring the big runs with a chan back there. But his running style puts the impetus on defenders to make good decisions and get their technique right. I felt that at times Devon would run into tackles where Jay dub would kind of put his head down run through them and get more yards out of those plays and just have more conviction that way. I mean, in that game he had three runs over ten yards and he had two more called back, same as the Colts game. He stepped into when a Cham was lost in that game and looked like a true bell cow to me.
Speaker 2: I think that his.
Speaker 1: Presence on the roster this year, I think he's going to be a force. And those eighty three carries last year did nothing to change my opinion of him coming out of college, but rather strengthen that belief. And what I find most interesting about this group now is that you sort of have different traits to choose from with each player, and in the past, coach Stutisville has been very upfront about not wanting to have you know, every back has to be capable of everything and the importance of that so I has to not tip your hand to the defense with your personnel decisions. And this isn't to say that has changed. I'm sure he still feels that way. But a Chan and Gordon are about is diametrically opposed in terms of their skill sets as you can be. I think you got better in pass protection. You know, Gordon's pass pro reel is pretty fun to watch. I think you got better in short yardage and I can't wait to see what the increased role for Wright does for the way that DeVaughn is deployed on the offense. We saw him get more run last year as a true wide receiver and make some catches that running backs just quite frankly shouldn't be able to make on dig routes on balls off the frame where he's elevating and snatching the football with his hands. I think more of that could potentially make him more dangerous as a runner and reduce the number of reads he has to make as a running back where maybe some of the vision deficiencies get him into some bad spots and some negative runs. Now it's like he's coming in as a spell or an option, you know, a secondary option, and he can hit that thing with conviction and speed. And you also round that out with a workload in the passing game, and you don't reduce his workload at all. He's still you know, a twenty touch per game guy, but you just spread it out in multiple ways to get him angel and write both Evall because both these guys to me are NFL playmakers, NFL studs. I think will come out of this season saying that right is the best true BELCW back on the roster. And again, you know, I think that Devon could be Reggie Bush. I think j Dubb could be like your Deuce McCallister. Do you want to go Jonathan Stewart Chris Johnson. That's probably not the most apt comparison. I think the Saints comparison is the best one. And then you can throw Allie Gordon. There is like Latavious Murray, a guy that maybe has ten rushers for twelve yards, but it produces seven touchdowns. Maybe that's the rookie role for him right away. I think that at both quarterback and running back, I think you're done. I think that you're pretty much ready to go to training camp and ready to go into September with the roster as is.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and take a break right there. That's not to say they're not going to, like, you know, scour and turn over every stone. I'm just saying you could play a game tomorrow, I think with both those two spots and be totally good there.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and take our first break.
Speaker 1: Come back on the other side, talk about wide outs tight ends will do offensive lines well. On the podcast today all that next Drive Time Podcast brought to you by Autnation. We've done the backfield, quarterbacks, running backs, let's go ahead and move out to the perimeter and the wide receivers, which features Tyreek Hill, Jalen Wattle, Malik Washington, Nick Westbrook, A Kine, Dwayne Eskridge, Malik and Nick are right neck and neck. For me in terms of who'll be the three and four going into training camp, I'd probably go with NWY to be honest with you, guys, Eric Azukama, Taj Washington, Tareek Black and then four Udfhase you have to imagine the hope here is to hit on one of these guys and have them be a contributor in your room, you know, down the road on a UDFA contract for three years would be fantastic. The Oiz Andrew Armstrong, Monter Ey Baldwin and AJ Henning are the udfas and the caveat to kick off this group is what will it look like on opening day. We've heard all the trade rumors and buzz and you know McDaniel has said otherwise, but I just think it's worth talking about on the podcast here that you know, if we get everybody on the same page, rowing in the same direction, which is the goal the entire season, Right man, I look at this offense in this group and maybe maybe shame, you know, fool me once for me twice. Maybe that's the issue here. But I see a team that could be potentially very deadly. So with Tyreek, I don't think the skills have diminished. I mean he was still he was still fast, he was still you know, open last year when he was in the right positions and when he caught the football. But I think those are the two things that he, you know, he has to work on and McDaniel has made that point clear as well well. Number One, the wrist injury was a real thing that impacted his game, and you know, I think he's If there is one knock on Reek's entire career, it was like the drops and Chiefs fans tried telling us that when he came over here, but it was like, yeah, he's still caught, you know, two thousand yards with the footballs. I don't really care about the Sixers having drops. He had, but last year it got a lot worse. He had a bunch of more drops than he usually does. And again that's been an issue in some of the big games over the last three years. Right, But also if you look at every other you know, leading receiver in the NFL, all those guys lead the league in drops because more targets means more drops. But I just thought it was more out of the ordinary last year for Tyreek. I'll say this, We just we have to execute better in big games, the crucible moments, all that stuff has to be better as a whole team, not just the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Because you can point to a few of those big games.
Speaker 1: You know, that Philly game back in twenty twenty two, or rather twenty twenty three, excuse me, the KC game up in Germany. Like those games were turned on big drops or fumbles by the receivers.
Speaker 2: And it came up just short. In those games. We were close in those games.
Speaker 1: And if you make those plays a different way, maybe you know, that game goes different. Maybe the narrative changes, maybe your confidence changes, maybe things are just different.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to on the field, for Tyreek, you'd be silly to say anything other than he changes the complexion of your offense. Right, He changes the way teams defend you, and that creates situations for a guy that I think is a top ten receiver in this league and a number one on just about every other team.
Speaker 2: Jalen Waddle.
Speaker 1: The way that he can play that backside X when they have high low coverage and we're playing trail technique and funneling into help. How he can get to the leverage point against a cloud corner that wants to take away the out route and he can still get there. That's the mark of a great receiver, right. They know where the football's going, they know how he wants to get there, and he still gets there and makes the play. Whatever we got to do to get twenty twenty two Wattle production back. That's what I want to see because that's when this offense is really cooking because this guy. I mean that Green Bay game, the eighty four yard touchdown, the Buffalo game, the sixty four yard touchdown, the way he can ignite the offense, the win over Buffalo on twenty twenty two, the third and seventeen conversion, right, that was Waddle like. He is a big time playmaker who changes the complexions of football games. The Ravens comeback, the game winning touchdown. There are two touchdowns in the game of one hundred and fifty yard game that day. He is insigt offense and a guy that we have to get going at his level of production because he is an elite, elite player. And then you get to the rest of the room. And really until last year, it was a healthy rotation to keep these guys fresh. Right, you saw Reakan Waddle play at sixty percent seventy percent clips when they were healthy, and when they miss games, it reduced their WAD down to like fifty five and fifty percent on the entire season. And rather than that rest of that group being late round rookies or guys that you just don't really know about, you know, minimum free agents, now you've got Nick Westbrook, Aikine. And it's funny I say late round rookies because Malik Washington was that. But Malik is a year into the league's I would say if Malik went back to the draft right now, he'd probably be a late day two, early day three pick. So that's I think the league found out about him a little bit last year and he's just scratching the surface. I think you've got flexibility, You've got more body type variants now, especially with Andrew Armstrong who I'm bullish on the Arkansas UDFA who ran a sub seven three cone at six foot four.
Speaker 2: He can sink those hips into those routes.
Speaker 1: But yeah, body type variants, You've got plenty of speed, and everyone for the most part is versed in the offense. And I include Nick Westbrook Aikine in that comment because I think he's one of the smartest players on the team who will come in here and give you that. Plus he played last year in an offense under Brian Callahan, who came out of the Zach Taylor tree, who came out of the Sean McVay tree, who helped birth Mike McDaniel's branch of the Kyle Shanahan tree. Right. So there's a big connection there. But the big question for this room is who cracks the roster. Beyond that, I think Eskridge has a similar skill set to Malik Washington. I think Taj is, you know, really champion at the bit to get out there, and he was the guy that Lewis Riddick pointed two is a Day three pick that could have an impact last year before he got hurt over the summer. I think he gives you a backup option to Tyreek and Waddall. Should they miss a game, maybe he's off the practice squad. You call him up and say, hey, here's fifteen routes to perfect and give us a big play in this game. If they're hurting for that, you know, vertical explosive element. And I'd say that that's true of the UDFA class. Should they hit on one of those guys again. Andrew Armstrong was a guy that got a reportedly large signing bonus, which usually ensures a spot on the practice squad if you go off the history. But I think that he could develop a role in this offense as early as twenty twenty five. That group is interesting. Armstrong six' four above the rim, athlete already seven and a half inch vertical ten foot four broad that's all eightieth. Percentile The shuttle was in that group as. Well we talked about that how you can sink the hips and, man we talk about finding. Reps When wattle And reek are getting water on the. Sideline you've seen the red, zone be an area where they get that. Rest go watch the Way ARMSTRONG a blocks and be the way he uses that big frame on contested. Throws i'm just saying he could be a factor down.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Again more On armstrong and the rest of THE udfa class next. Week but you've got your best number three wide receiver of the McDaniel, era and your deepest wide receiver room of the McDaniel, area and obviously your two pace cars up. Top that's the only QUESTION i think you have with this room is what happens up top With. REEK i, mean that's the rest of it looks good to. Me and if He's Tyreek, hill then let's freaking go. Baby let's do the tight ends. Here we'll take a break and do the offensive line. Last Johnny, Smith Farroll, Brown Julian, Hill Tanner, Connor Hayden rucci And Jalen kanyer is a player THAT i had mocked To miami several times throughout the course of the, process like in the fifth. Round so getting him, UNDRAFTED i think he's making the. Roster that's a different podcast for a different. DAY i thought this room had a lot of options for how to round out this. Offseason not so much in free. Agency it was a pretty wanting class that, way but the draft class was pretty. Good we didn't Draft, anyboddy but we did sign a guy In Pharaoh, brown WHO i thought was the perfect fit from that free agent. Crops they did find the right piece from that group in my, Opinion and, look you could have drafted a tight end in the first round and become a twelve personnel based. Team in, hindsight as much AS i Love Tyler, Warren i'm glad we Took kenny g BECAUSE i just love the composition of that. Group, now after heading into the draft with only four guys in that, room and now you've got three rookies Alongside Zach sealer And Barto, jones including your first round, pick, who for my, money is Already like you, know we do blue, chips we do plus starters and adequate.
Speaker 2: STARTERS i think he's.
Speaker 1: ALREADY i want to say he's green in the plus starter, category But i'll settle the expectations for now and put him as an adequate, starter which that's where you want to. Be if you get guys on that level or, higher you were building a good. Roster but that's a different discussion down the. Road and while maybe you didn't turn this offense into one that requires two tight ends on the field for every, snap you sure as hell got one of the elements you seek when you do, that and by THAT i mean the physical, edge the extra offensive line essentially player the elite pass blocking tight end who's just as good in the run. Game, MISTER i don't care IF i catch a single pass this. Year i'm trying to be the best blocking tight end in. Football that's of, Course Pharaoh. Brown and If Julian hill takes another, step you, know he was comfortably tight end to last. YEAR i think when you talk about some of the you, know he kind of fought the football trying to catch, it had some fumbles, too like it just a little bit. Jittery maybe he can settle into that role a little, more and maybe that comes from being a tight end three ye role WHERE i think that it's more heavy, personnel more run. BLOCKING i think that's the look of a well rounded. ROOM i Think Julian hill is your third tight end is. PERFECT i think it's an upgrade over What durham's myth was last, year And Farah brown an upgrade Over Julian hill and the number two spot a year. Ago you might say you could stand to be a little more explosive for the tight end two, position but, like think about that if that's a concern you have on your, OFFENSE i wish my tight end two was more. Explosive you're probably doing pretty. Good and how many teams could say, that like our tight end two could be a little bit more dynamic as a wide. Receiver some teams don't even throw the football to their tight end, two so like it's really, really you, know splitting. Hairs and While brown is a blocking, phenom we detailed his big playability when he was with The patriots two years, ago so he's got that in the. Bag john u broke out starting in what we week five last year against The. PATRIOTS i don't think that was a coincidence in terms of him getting the offense more down pat and maybe being more vocal about his opportunities in the. Offense now he comes, in he has a year plus under his belt in the program and he's ready to rock and roll from day. One he's a big time Leader onan's football team as. Well John Hui SMITH i expect to be just as good as he was last, year if not. Better and then again THAT udfa Rookie, conyers like this is one of my favorite players we added in the entire. Process his athletic makeup is akin To Tanner, connors who we saw make that opening day roster as a rookie right and a guy that obviously they valued big time for not just his tight end, prowess but how he gets after on special teams in the straight line. Speed but the injuries haven't allowed him to ever materialize and have that breakthrough every. Year it's something else that causes him to mispractice time and into the. Season and if you can replace that with a guy that can be available and do those same, THINGS i Think Jalen conyers is in that same vein to at least compete With Tanner connor from an athletic standpoint and a fit. Standpoint and you guys heard me just rave About Tyler warren's wildcat prowess as one of the more intriguing options this team could add the entire. Offseason, Well conyers as a wildcat quarterback had twenty two rushes ninety two, Yards he ran for one and threw for a touchdown from that formation a year. Ago he also average nine point six yards after the, catch not per catch after the, catch just in case you were curious about his run after. Catchability really really curious to watch him get. Acclimated what you think of this room comes down to is how you felt about the brown smythe, swap AND i think it was one of the bigger upgrades we made the entire. Offseason, okay last break right, there come back and finish up with the offensive. Line that's Next Draft time, podcast brought to you By Auto.
Speaker 2: Nation we finish up.
Speaker 1: Front with the big uglies the offensive, Line Patrick, Paul Jonah savoy And, Naya Aaron, Brewer James, Daniels Austin. Jackson is HOW i would go with it opening, day but we have a lot of work to, do and McDaniel made really good comments about the body mechanics and how they're going to decide for who's gonna play which side of the offensive. Line, Obviously dolphins beat writers and the folks and. Attendants he'll be watching that every single. Day beyond, That Larry borum And Keyon smith to me battle for the swing tackle job With Liam eikenberg And Andrew, meyer your top swing guys on the, inside and Then chase And hines trying to crack the lineup for the first time in a few. Years Braden daniels is a tackle they brought over last year down the stretch WHO i think could possibly be a developmental piece that could hit for. You Ryan hayes was a seventh round draft pick three years ago From michigan that left and came. Back Jackson carmen got that run late down the. Stretch and Then bidro and Mattos is the ipp Player International pathway, program not the insane clown. Posse and Then Addison west And Josh, preba the TWO udfa offensive linean WHO i have to.
Speaker 2: Watch haven't watched their games, YET i.
Speaker 1: WAS i took the, CHEESE i took the flashy thing and watched the receivers first before the offensive.
Speaker 2: Line and then.
Speaker 1: There's this group right the offensive. Line to round things out with the bane Of dolphins fans existence for the last few, YEARS i made a joke on the stage of the draft, party, like you, know everyone says the offensive line pick's not, sexy but ask A dolphins fan if that's a sexy, pick and the whole place went. Wild SO i Know dolphins fans are even more inclined to attack the offensive. Line what's, NECESSARY i guess based upon recent. Seasons so with this, group it's going to be tough to Replace Tron, armstead BUT i do think there's something being slept on. Here and, again please don't take this the wrong. Way To, ron to, me belongs in The hall Of, fame and every time we had him on the, field we were better for. It but how many times have we heard about the importance of practice time and time on the grass together in this intricate timing. OFFENSE i think having your left tackle out there every practice could make a big, difference and everybody being out there, together like let's not let's go out to practice and practice. Together and damn, it, MAN i am such a believer In Patrick. Paul he's got to earn, it no doubt about. It BUT i just look at the growth he showed from his college game to his rookie, season and what has me confident in it is the way that he attacks, everything his, work, ethic his. Mindset getting to know the young. Man we talked some of the podcasts last year about how when he retires he wants to be the president of his home country or his native, COUNTRY i should. Say but just thinking about like all that and what another off season of growth can do for him after kind of like remaking the golf, swing, right he talked about remaking his pass. Protection he was more of a hands catcher than a kind, of you, know a chest. Striker i'm just not that worried About Patrick. Paul and even with, that you could argue he's the biggest question mark on the offensive. Line and If i'm not worried about, that THEN i don't have a question on the starting offensive. Line it's kind of. Crazy depends on a rookie and as an impact, player, Right but you know when you, scout when you do, this and when you're The dolphins, too and you make a decision to go up and Get, JONAH i believe you do that because you believe that he. Starts And Chris greer said as much in his press, conference which don't typically hear that from most, gms much Less Chris. Greer BUT i believe you do think that he, starts and they won't just hand it over to. Him but his, makeup his, tape all of it says that he can be one of those two guards that starts on the on the opening day offensive line and we'll figure, out you, know which one takes which spot In. August BUT i think the dense, frame the movement skills Of. Jonah and this goes For James daniels to who has all the smarts and experience to be multiple to multiply all of this you just. Have you've become so much more flexible, inside more, athletic and more, powerful more. EVERYTHING i, thought you, KNOW i always Thought Rob jones And Leam meikenberg were like not exceptional fits for the. System they're not super athletic, guards but they were like offered more power than maybe some of the players you might have in that. POSITION i Think miami got more power and more athleticism on the inside this. YEAR i think there's a case to be made that across the ENTIRE, nfl nobody improved one position like The dolphins improved their guard.
Speaker 2: Spot and then that's just HOW i feel about.
Speaker 1: That i'm not sure there's a better scheme fit for a center in THE nfl Than Aaron brewer for The Miami, dolphins WHO i thought deserved The Pro bowl last. YEAR i think you can point to our run game regression in direct correlation to the loss Of Austin jackson in That buffalo, game which his last healthy game Was, buffalo and we averaged over six yards per carry in that game and had two must have, touchdowns driving the length of the field in the fourth quarter to tie the game twice In buffalo should have won that damn football.
Speaker 2: Game So i'm very bullish on the.
Speaker 1: STARTERS i Think Keon smith And Larry boram could be one of the most intriguing camp battles that there is at press. Time i've said for the longest, TIME i Think Leam mikenberg is a perfect seventh or eighth offensive lineman off the. Bench and Then Andrew meyer's, development you, know kind of happens in the, shadows, right no games played last, year didn't get active for the roster in terms of being one of the forty five guys, Dressed you're not going to you, know find workout videos of him on social. Media so maybe he comes back this summer and it's just a total. Monster like remember in summer, summer like in high, school when you would leave for the, summer come back and you know there was the kid that got, hot, right boy or, girl doesn't matter who it, was like they looked different coming. Back maybe That's Andrew. MEYER i, think you, KNOW i think you could stand to add one more veteran to this group to really solidify. It like a guy that interests me THAT i talked about in the up to freegency Was Daniel, brunskill The titans offensive lineman who's played five spots and played in the nine er system. Before to me drop him in the sixth role and let's freaking cook. Baby so the offense as a, whole you, know speaking rhetorically here and one hundred percent, earnestly can you show me one group or spot where we got? WORSE i think the only place you can really say is a left tackle. Position but that's not a guarantee because if It's pat and he plays seventeen games this year at the LEVEL i think he can, play would you rather have that or twelve games Of Toron, armstead you, know the average amount of games he played with. Us the only other thing would be like the buy, in, right the, culture all that stuff which is a narrative late in the. Season it was, earned you, Know tyreek in the final game of the. Year all that, stuff you, know by all accounts we, heard has been buttoned. Up tyreek spin here for the entire offseason. Program i'm not gonna like rubber stamp that one way or the other and put myself out there saying like it's going to be just. Fine but it's going in the right direction right, now because, MAN i think the quarterback, room the receiver, room the offensive, line it's all. DEEPER i think the starting offensive line is much. BETTER i think the running back. Room you, Know most was a stud for, us BUT i have full conviction and right being even better.
Speaker 2: Than what most it was last.
Speaker 1: YEAR i don't, know, MAN i think this group has potential score what it did in twenty twenty three thirty point three points per. Game you, know if we keep to a HEALTHY i don't see that being out of the. EQUATION i think you'll see an offense that has far better balance and reduces the number of negative runs through, personnel through point of attack wins and verse, losses and a more diverse scheme and scope of skill guys for the group up. Front not only did you get more athletic at, guard you added an element to your game with versatility and different run schemes that you can play. With hate ending a sentence in a, preposition but that's how that. GOES i think you can also play under center more this year and that's really just a way of saying we have more you, know, triggers tendency breakers and permutations available because of the landscape shift with the. PERSONNEL i think there's a lot more variety in the run scheme that you can call because of the offensive line and the backs for that. Matter And, buddy when you give that To mike, McDaniel hey one of the most creative run game designers THE nfl has seen in the last. Decade, right that goes back to The niners and prior to, that and then the way to a plays the game from under center off play action like you, know he's awesome from the gun and THE rpo and playing in an offense that has skills like this. One but he's secretly also always been damn good at playing twelve personnel with two attached tight ends and playing under center in more of a ball control running style. Offense LIKE i could see Some lions influence here with a stout offensive, line good tight, ends improved running game and some of the days Where Jared goff didn't have to wash his uniform after the game because he never hit the, Turf, well still wash it because it's, Stinky but no grass, stains no. Sprainwash you get What i'm. Saying and then ALSO i want you to watch the way we won the edge from a tight end perspective and how we got our interior offensive line on the edges out in space in twenty twenty three versus twenty. Twenty to, me this was the biggest difference in the offense winning the, edge sealing the edge in the running, game and creating the staple of your offense and the outside zone game and getting wins in that. Direction we challenge teams and their best, players their edge rushers by going right at. THEM i think that ability was less last year and it allowed teams to play a little more to our. Tendencies AND i think we can get back that back because of our investment at, guard at tight end and a player who plays wide receiver but blocks like a tight end IN. Nwy when teams are concerned about your run, game good things. Happen and if you do all these, things it helps you ease the stressload on your. Quarterback in, baseball they talk about the number of pitches not being the main stat rather high stress pitches with RUMs on scoring, position high leverage, moments the moments that raise the heart rate because that exhausts you. Faster, Right so if you can make half the reps stress free For tua in the running, game you, know read free and reduce the, workload it can make him sharper for the other snaps where he has that whole. Checklist you, know this is a strategy share league. Wide And i'll close it here with some comments From Darryl, bebble who talked last year ABOUT. RBIs in the running, game we're always trying to pull one guy out of the, defense and really all of our run, game it's not a playoff for the. Quarterback you have to get to the backs on the right, course but also carry out your. Fakes if we can get one guy out of the, formation then the quarterback has done their. Job we teach them in terms of how we want to hand it off and then also tempo with which we come off the. Fake the intent they have can hold that backside. Linebacker that's what we CALL. RBIs for the quarterback in the running, game it's a cut and, dry non red play where he can influence the defense with that key word with his. Intent if you look like you're coming off the fake ready to throw the. Football then they'll think your handoffs are fakes and you can reduce the box count. Accordingly in the running, game that's AN rbi for the, quarterback an easy thing he can pick, up but it's also a stress reducing play on your, quarterback so it has multiple ways of helping. You All, Right, monday we'll tackle the. Defense we'll do our color coordination. Roster this is going to be one, episode BUT i am long, wind so we'll break it into. Two but until, then you all please be sure to subscribe to the, podcast leave us.
Speaker 2: A, rating and leave us a.
Speaker 1: Review you can follow me on social at LINKFL. Nfl the team At Miami. Dolphins check out the Fish tank podcast With seth And, juice the YouTube channel For, DOLPHINS, Hq Media, availabilities and so much, more and last but not, Least Miami dolphins Dot. Com until next, Time fin's, Up, Caroline, Cameron, Daddy he's, Coming, hope