Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership.
Speaker 1: I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 3: Do what's right, leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 4: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 5: This is a very interesting story, right, so it involves the Beatles. Yeah, in Apple right.
Speaker 6: Two things you may know.
Speaker 5: A thirty year a thirty year court case between the Beatles in Apple right. Crazy, So the Beatles, right and seventies, mid seventies, nineteen seventy eight, Well, I think before that they started a company called Apple Corp. Right. Apple Corp. Was a holding company. It had a couple different uses, but the main thing was like, they're in house record label. Right. I don't know why they decided to name Apple, but that was the name Apple Corp.
Speaker 7: That's interesting.
Speaker 5: So in nineteen seventy seven, George Harrison. You know what George Harrison is the Beatles, of course, Well, nobody really knows him. He's the Beatle that you never heard of, right, most people never heard of him. So he hits ironic because nobody's heard of him, and he heard of a company that nobody's heard of that's just it out in nineteen seventy seven around that time, called Apple Inc. So he says, okay, this is pretty interesting. Is a company called Apple? Right, So he goes to Apple Corp. The Beatles company, and he tells them about a company called Apple Inc. Right, So the Beatles Apple Corp. Suits Apple Inc. Because they're using the trademark name Apple. They already trademarked the name Apple, can't use it. So in nineteen eighty one, they settled a lawsuit for eighty thousand dollars. An interesting thing is that part of the settlement is that Apple Corp. The Beatles Company, agreed to never go into the computer business. Apple Inc. Steve Jobs Company agreed to never go into the music business.
Speaker 6: We're going to stay in your Linkane.
Speaker 5: They could both use Apple, but they have to stay in their lank. Okay. So it's going pretty good for a couple of years, and then nineteen eighty six Apple comes out with Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Right, Yes, that was good.
Speaker 6: That was good.
Speaker 5: So that you want to talk about that now.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna briefly touch on it for those not in So that's just a sound chip in the computer. So this is before you got to think within eighties now, So like this is like computers. They're not even in color. It's just like the green typing. So he's putting a sound chip in the computer. They're looking at it like wait, sound that could be music.
Speaker 5: It could be music because the music it's about to say something I was going to say.
Speaker 9: I think it also allowed them to the computers to communicate with music land.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 5: It did. So it allowed it it's kind of like the beginning stages of putting music on a computer. So he said, way, you're not so fast. You promised, you promised computer. This is oh, you brought your problems. So now they suit them again. Right, nineteen eighty six, they suited him. So in nineteen ninety one they settled for twenty six million dollars. Right, but they did something that was very petty at the time. So they they're nineteen ninety one Macintosh Alert. The name is Sumo and it's pronounced so sue me. So it's like a kind of like you know, and it predicts what's going to happen in the future, right, like saying like so, so.
Speaker 8: That was part of the sampling of sound on an operating system. So like they have a new operating system. Now you can sample sound again that sounds like music. We're gonna have to sue yeah.
Speaker 5: No, So then this is where the big cakes comes in, right, two thousand and three the launch of iTunes. So they just said, Okay, we're not even gonna play around anymore. We're going into the music business right soon. Too much money out here not to be get. We're not going to be stopped by the Beatles, right, so they go into full fledged with iTunes. So of course Apple Corp. The Beetle company, right.
Speaker 6: But they suit them this time because of the logo.
Speaker 8: So like their logo is an actual green apple, and the iTunes logo was an apple that had like a little piece bitten out of it.
Speaker 6: So it was like, wait, that looks like our.
Speaker 5: Logo, the partially the logo, but also the music as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so but that case lasted to two thousand and seven and Apple actually won that case. Right, So now Apple Inc. Owns the trademarks to Apple, right, but they licensed out a certain you know, they licensed out trademarks back to Apple Corp. Nobody really knows the terms of the deal, but it's said that they settled for five hundred million dollars. So Apple Inc. Paid Apple Corp. Five hundred million dollars and they finally were done with it after thirty years. And it's ironic because now the Beatles when so when Steve Jobs, he used he was a big Beatles fan, right, huge, and he was disappointed that they couldn't get the Beatles on iTunes because of this thirty year case. Right, So now, when I think it was his two thousand and seven speech.
Speaker 8: It's Keno address in two thousand and seven, and he intros it by coming into the Beatles' music, So the crowd is like, oh wait, we're about to get Beatles' music.
Speaker 5: He has Paul McCartney.
Speaker 6: February two thousand and seven.
Speaker 8: They settle and they released Beatles music, but as a solo artist. So Joe Harrison's solo music. John Lennon Paul McCartney. I don't think Ringo had it out. Did Ringle have a I don't know.
Speaker 6: He might, I don't know.
Speaker 5: So their solo.
Speaker 8: Catalogs were released, and then three years later, in twenty ten, I believe November twenty ten, the Beatles catalog comes to iTunes, which is like a big moment because that catalog is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: You know, Michael Jackson owned the Beatles catalogs on TV on ATV. It's another conversation, so why are we telling your story? Because it's interested in a and also it is highlights the power of trademarks. Right, So the Beatles made almost six hundred million dollars they made between the three cases, they made five hundred.
Speaker 10: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC erness What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch parts. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate, let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just so of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership.
Speaker 1: I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, Attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 3: Have been arrested. If you were here illegally.
Speaker 1: Your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and.
Speaker 2: Deported, you will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 3: Do what's right, leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 4: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 5: In twenty nine million. Right, kind of by accident because they just randomly picked the name Apple one pretty sure, right, And they didn't really have any intentions of Apple Corp. To be a multi billion dollar company. They was like the in house thing, right.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure what use it came out on Apple record.
Speaker 5: I don't think any music came out.
Speaker 9: I think they just ended up owning all the Beatles' music. And like you said, they had other businesses underneath their.
Speaker 5: Like tax shelters exactly. Yeah. So just from having the luck of the draw and picking and picking a good name. But more importantly than picking a good name, they trademarked the name, right, because they could have picked the name and then trade like so how many businesses and companies And we're going back to the fortnite thing, where we have good ideas, but that one step changes the dynamic. Five hundred million dollars, right, So people say a lot of times it's like, well it's expensive to trademark, or I don't have the money. Well you either spend five hundred dollars to trademark or five hundred million recorder could do that. You could have gotten if you did trademarket.
Speaker 6: I think like that's what we saw.
Speaker 8: Fifty did that. When he started to get the Strap campaign. It was like wait, oh, people really like this trade money, this is mine, Yeah, somebody.
Speaker 7: Want to use it.
Speaker 5: Going back to Cameron, he's notorious for that. He trademarks everything. Remember when him and Jim Jones had the you.
Speaker 6: Know what that that that's a sad story.
Speaker 5: Well they made it, they rectified it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was over burg Gang.
Speaker 5: He trademark Bergan just in case, Yes, just in case. So if anybody's a Diplomat fan, you know.
Speaker 6: What, anybody from the early two thousands.
Speaker 5: So it was like something that they were just saying. It was like it wasn't like an official thing because they would dipset Diplomat. Then the bird Gang was like just something that they just came up with right. But then Jim Jones actually had a crew like a offset of Dipset that he was calling Burgang, right. I think he had like bird Gang records and oh he's going full Fletcher dis and Cameron without actually notifying him trademarks the name. So Jesus, he's no longer allowed to use burg Gang unless he pays Cameron. That's what friends are for, exactly when something of it's as rumored that he trademarked jelly Fan.
Speaker 6: That's yeah, yeah, yeah, recently recently.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if that's true or not.
Speaker 6: He just actually transfer from Minnesota. I don't know yet. He just left.
Speaker 8: He did two years at Minnesota and now he's transferring Isaiah Washington.
Speaker 5: If anybody is not a basketball fan New York City street ball legend, not even a street ball.
Speaker 8: Legend, No, not just a legend, Ramonds basketball basketball legend.
Speaker 5: Who he he He had a crew called jelly Fan, huge.
Speaker 6: Trademark by his the move man that layup that open finger roll layup.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, people might not be basketball fans, but I heard that Kim on because the interesting thing about that, so the kid was in high school, right, and he created a huge buzz for himself in high school, like all throughout the city. Then it went national now with social media, went all over the world where you got kids saying jelly fam and it's like a finger roll and it's like it just went viral. So then Nike started printing up shirts with the jelly fan and of course, of course he's not getting paid for he's in high school.
Speaker 6: I think Nike might be a sponsor for Saint Raymonds. So like they felt like we had an actually he plays sat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he came up with the idea. So it's all going back to Apple, right, whereas we can relate this on small level, like that's a perfect example jelly fan. Right. I don't know the rules if he could actually trademarket it not since he's in high school and it's rules against the basketball places. But long story short, Nike did that and they made money off of it, right, So and.
Speaker 7: If he didn't protect it, then he can't really do that into.
Speaker 5: Police against now it's too late.
Speaker 7: Now it was too late. Well if he can, if they didn't protect.
Speaker 9: It, he could still protect it and then they would still have to pay him for using it.
Speaker 7: If they're still continuing to make money off of it, right, But if you don't.
Speaker 9: Protect it, then you have no way of really, so what registration does.
Speaker 7: It allows you to basically sue and be able to recover.
Speaker 9: So, like with the Fortnite case, how they had to pull out of the case because they didn't copyright anything, and so it's like, okay, the government's like are the federal court is like, well, if you didn't copyright it, then you can't police against it, so you need to go do that, and so they pulled out. But if they do, if they are successful with their copyright, then will be able.
Speaker 8: To sue them for you see, like, uh, celebrities are doing that, like when they have children.
Speaker 6: Now it's like the first thing they do is I'm copy righting that name, I think.
Speaker 8: But they lost that because there was an event planning company called Blue Ivy.
Speaker 9: Though they're still fighting, doesn't does an event plan or she she has a company named Blue Ivy, and so you know, Beyonce's a beast with her.
Speaker 11: Game.
Speaker 7: She has she has her own.
Speaker 9: Company that just has her trademarks and that's the best way to do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, there you have it. The power of trademarks. You have to understand the law of people is one thing. To play the game is another thing. To play the game smart and efficiently. You don't have to be the smartest player to win, but you have to know who to work with, who to contact, and you have to know opportunities when you see it. And I'm sure these guys that made these dances up before they never knew. They just don't know their neighbors, especially Calton things. I don't know, that's shame on him. But the Millie Rock and this is they're just doing it in their community, like they're not thinking this is going to go viral to the world. But you never know.
Speaker 6: Well, they have your knowl down now you got to know.
Speaker 5: Now you have to know.
Speaker 11: So yeah, well we'll see.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership.
Speaker 1: I'm Christine Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security under President Trump. Attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 3: Have been arrested.
Speaker 1: If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 3: Do what's right, leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 4: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,