Speaker 1: Cut open that DJ Moore and zone touchdown touchdown pairs.
Speaker 2: I am Jeff Jonia.
Speaker 3: Blitz is not don go.
Speaker 4: What was like playing for Coche?
Speaker 3: Goodgo.
Speaker 1: I don't want to answer any questions like that pressure coming is a big trouble. Donmi goes Montest Sweat.
Speaker 5: Bears, et Cetera brought to you by Miller Lighte with the voices of the Bears Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 1: We dig into the trenches in episode the Bears et Cetera podcast, and We're brought to you by Miller Light with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer.
Speaker 2: I'm Jeff Joniac.
Speaker 1: Over the weeks leading up to the start of training camp, we visit with some key members of the twenty twenty five Bears. In this podcast, we go over a pair of newcomers, right guard Jonah Jackson and defensive lineman Dio Adangbo.
Speaker 2: And yes, it all starts in the trenches.
Speaker 1: And no one better to discuss the importance than my own brought partner now in his twenty ninth year at the twenty twenty five season. Mister Tom there, Hey, I'm going to hit you right out of the gate. Are the Bears better on both sides of the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent.
Speaker 6: When you look at the talent they brought in because you have certain key components to an offensive line in the interior the offensive line that Dan Rashar and the coaching staff, they're not going to have to teach these guys a lot about fundamental football. They know how to play the game. They've been playing at their whole life at a really high level. They're super successful. So it's not like you got to take five guys and start teaching them the incremental types of details to offensive line play. You have three experienced guys that you're not going to have to spend a lot of time on and they can also speed up the learning curve of the guys to the outside of them, Darnell right at the right tackle, in whomever at left tackle. So offensive line speaking, I think they're a lot better. And then when we talk to a guy like Dio, you're talking about a guy.
Speaker 5: That has versatility.
Speaker 6: He's not just a one player, one position inside outside type of guy. He's got explosiveness, length, versatility that he can play up and down the line of scrimmage. And when you look at the other components on this defensive line. It gives you a lot more versatility from a coaching standpoint when you talk about Dennis Allen and the way he wants to devise a scheme depending upon the team and the talent he's playing against.
Speaker 1: I mean, we could address this all day long, but the two most important acquisitions of the entire offseason from my point of view, and it goes beyond just their talent and what they've accomplished.
Speaker 2: And I'm not going out on a big limb here.
Speaker 1: It's left guard Joe Toney and it's defensive tackle Grady Jarrett because of what they bring to the table from a leadership point of view, Hey, I think they are come foudle me type of guys.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll put you on our back.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 1: These are two guys who are going to do everything the right way every day, and I think that is a significant addition. Tell me if I'm wrong or if I'm missing out on somebody else.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, the proof is in the pudding.
Speaker 6: That's why they are so sought after in the free agent market. You have a couple of guys that have experience, but they have experience that make your team better. That make your locker room better, They make your weight room better. The enthusiastic approach that I've got introduced and we've got introduced to Grady Jarrett is something that it was expected, but it's impressive, and so I'm really excited to see that how that type of energy level can spill out to some really young guys in this football team that are still trying to find their path in the NFL. And then when you talk about a guy like Joe Toney, look, man, his resume speaks for itself.
Speaker 5: He's got all the quality.
Speaker 6: Experience from successful Super Bowl winning teams since he's been in the league. And like I said, he can take the guy to the left of them because the center that they brought in Dollman, he's got experience, but you could really speed up the learning process of the left tackle.
Speaker 2: And you haven't met him yet, have you, Big Joe?
Speaker 5: I have no.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear that count. What do you want to know from him? Seriously?
Speaker 1: Other than hey, my name's Tom. There, my name's Tom. That's what you do when you introduce you. My name's Tom.
Speaker 5: What do you want to know? First thing?
Speaker 6: I would say, how's your uncle Mark doing? Because I played with his uncle at Notre Dame, and it's a conversation I've always wanted to have with him because his uncle was a good football player, and you're talking about in the early eighties back then. But it's just more of, hey, how's your body feeling? What you know was a little bit behind your decision to leave Kansas City and come to Chicago. You know, how has the process been since you've been here? This is an impressive facility that you get to come in every day and listen. I was part of an offensive line that you know, did his some historical things in Chicago, and you know we can talk a lot about to that in relatable terms.
Speaker 1: Yeh, super Bowl winners to both of you. This podcast brought to you by the official beer partner of your Chicago Bears. Tastes like Miller Time Chicago. Go to Middle of Lake dot com slash Bears pod to find delivery options near you. Celebrate responsibly. Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carbs per twelve ounces. So Jonah Jackson acquired a trade with the Rams strong pass protector Since twenty twenty two, allowing only two sacks and fifty three pressures and almost one thousand blocking snaps. Played at Rutgers, played at Ohio State, most importantly played under Ben Johnson, played offensive and defensive line in college as well. I didn't know about that part and made the Pro Bowl in twenty one while playing under Johnson, and in twenty two didn't allow a single sack on four hundred and ninety four pass blocking snaps, just two sacks in twenty twenty three before signing a three year deal with the Rams, but suffered a fractured scalpul of the week two and then was moved out of that starting position, so tried to play some center there. Now he's in the right spot of the right time. Let's listen in our interview with the newest Chicago Bear offensive lineman, right guard Jonah Jackson. From one double J to another double JJ square Jeff Jonihak and Jonah Jackson.
Speaker 2: With T square.
Speaker 1: Tom Thayer, you guys have met before, and so I'm gonna let him carry the conversation. But how thrilling is it now that you've been here for a few months to be wearing this uniform?
Speaker 3: It's awesome. I was just looking at the pictures of the Navy Blue. As an old lineman comes you kind of keeps you tight.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: You know, you're not falling out the sides as much. But it's great, man. I love Chicago so far. It's a it's a real football city, and you know, I'm excited to make it pro out.
Speaker 6: What do you remember about the book Bears from your time in Detroit? Because this is this is the division unlike a lot of others. So what do you remember about Soldier Field in the atmosphere?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's crazy. I can only imagine being the home team there. Being the away team is definitely tough. It's electric. It's definitely you know, the elements work to our advantage out here, and just playing against the Bears. I mean, it's such a historical franchise and they always have some big, huge linemen. Just the nasty defense, and you know, we're excited to make this offense go.
Speaker 6: You know, you got a young guy to your right, you got a guy with a little bit more experience to your left. How does that conversation go during the practice, maybe installation in meetings, the you know, the new terminology that you're learning. How is that conversation between the two of them gone.
Speaker 5: It's been great.
Speaker 3: You know, we got a very bright group, very smart group. Hats off to Kyle Dan, Rochhar, Kyle Devan and Zach Cable, you know, helping us out, getting us right, and a lot of the stuff I've I've known for years now because I was with Ben, So I'm able to appear teach as well and help those guys out. But I mean I'm going I'm learning stuff from young guys, older guy and things like that. All collaborate and then you know it was old lineman. We all come together.
Speaker 6: So are you interested to see Ben the head coach as opposed to the offensive coordinator during the regular season?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think he's the same guy head coach coordinator regardless. He was always a huge leader, you know, great voice, great play callers. So I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Have you been grilled by your teammates on hey, what is he really like?
Speaker 3: No, I mean he shows you what he's really like. You know, you good in bet you know he's gonna let you know when it's right and when it's wrong. So he's a straight shooter and We love that about him, and the guys definitely love and enjoy his presence here.
Speaker 1: So that's not like I think the Chicago media, with all due respect to the media, they have this image in their mind.
Speaker 2: Already at this guy is like tough, tough nails.
Speaker 1: He's losing his mind out there. I had to correct somebody recently and everybody he wasn't losing his mind.
Speaker 2: He just wanted he wants it right. But it is he a no nonsense coach?
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: You know, when when it's time to lock in, it's time to lock in, and when we're outside of the lines, you know, he's he's great, very personal. He's not a stepfler by any means off the field, but when you get on the field, you better do it how we want.
Speaker 1: And that's how does it feel too, Because I think the symbol of this season, before we even take one snap in a regular season game or preseason game, is the interior three.
Speaker 2: The interior three.
Speaker 1: That we're brought here is almost like a shield for the entire team. It's been something that has been missing in terms of experience and quality and time on task. So is that is that a proud thing that you're a part of that. I know it's the team game, but yeah, the interior three are going to set the tone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. You know it's the tip of the spear. And you know, kudos to the guys on the edges too. I mean, people are forgetting about Darnell right, Braxton Jones, Assi, Trapo, Corona, Magaji, all those guys. You know, it's it's a collective thing we got going. But I'm excited. It's a it's a bright group, strong group experience, you know, even though we're the older guys. Three years is pretty experience in the NFL. And he was a day one starter on the right and Brax and I believe yea, yeah, it was a year starter as well. So seventeen ready.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm glad that when Ben got here, the conversation started with playoff expectations, winning expectations. And I think that's important when you have a veteran group of you guys that have come in here that have had some success in the league. Not only can you guys talk about it, but it's a message that can filter around the locker room that you guys are here to compete. Year one of Ben Johnson and your start with the Bears that it's not a five year project that we'll worry about it down the road. This year's the time to get it started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean every year the goal is to win it all. I mean, what else would you be doing if you weren't trying to do that. You know, who goes in and like, let's get three more last year. You know, let's shut it out, let's go for the whole thing. But yeah, it's it's it's exciting, and uh, you know, we're ready to get the ball rolling.
Speaker 5: Seventy three.
Speaker 6: Is that a Tony Medlin choice or is that a Jonah Jackson's choice?
Speaker 3: It's a Jonah Jackson choice.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: It's funny.
Speaker 3: I always wanted to wear seventy seven. I got to college, seventy seven was taken. I tried to get seventy two. They gave to somebody else, and I went to my locker. I've seen seventy three. I'm like, what I am.
Speaker 5: I wearing seventy three? What is this number I started to wearing?
Speaker 3: Like, oh, it's actually it's a nice number, you know, and then he makes something of it, so I like it a lot.
Speaker 2: It's up to ten, so you get have a perfect ten. Yeah, yeah, right that way.
Speaker 1: So I forgot about this actually, just getting some notes together before the season gets going. Here that you went to Rutgers first. Yes, so Rutgers to Ohio State. We obviously know Greg Chiano very well.
Speaker 2: I used to coach here.
Speaker 1: So from Rutgers to Ohio State to Detroit, you already traveled a lot in a short period.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm all over to com Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about that? The good and the bad of that? I guess.
Speaker 5: I mean it's awesome.
Speaker 3: I'd get to, you know, play a kid's game and you know, be be around the guys all day. I mean, wherever it's I'm happy. I'm especially happy to be here in Chicago though, with familiar faces, and uh, I feel like my best ball has been played in the Midwest.
Speaker 6: You know, we're just talking to Drew Dollman and then you bring it up talking about playing the kids game. Case Keenan brought up the same thing a little while ago. How do you turn the kids game into an adult existence?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, you definitely it's a it's it's a job first, see, because you know, you got you got to study, you got to do your homework, You got to take care of your body. You know, you're you're your own business. You got to make sure you're available. But when you get in between the lines, you know it's it's mono. Imno, it's you know, it's a sport of alphas. So you like to prove it?
Speaker 2: Are you one?
Speaker 5: I believe so?
Speaker 3: Of course we'll have to see come Sunday in Monday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: I like it an alpha with a big grin and a devilish smile. I love alphas. I feel Hey, listen, I talk about this all the time. First of all, you just can't say you're an alpha. You got to prove your alpha to the team, not forget about anybody else. And yeah, I covered twenty seven super Bowls back, you know, at one time, and.
Speaker 2: I always you could feel the alphas.
Speaker 1: Even in the interview sessions during super Bowl week, And I think we have some alphas brewing here and clearly you're one of them. And they invested in you, and that means they love you already? Was that important step for you to know that, hey, they didn't just bring me here, they now they want me here yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, definitely, you know it's that's definitely nice. But no, like you said, we got to prove it, you know, all of us. And I think we have a group of alphas or whatever you want to call it. But we got a group of competitors, guys ready to roll and ready to win.
Speaker 2: You were a part of a turnaround.
Speaker 3: What's the key Just buying it, you know, buying into the culture. Not only that the coach is established, but the players established. And I feel like we have a good presence of that, great presence of that here. And you know, it's all about winning. Last year, I mean, how many games was here were decided by a point or something like that. It's only a matter that you.
Speaker 2: That's why I say. I say it all the time.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're doing the dance.
Speaker 2: People. People make fun of me.
Speaker 1: I go on to radio, ask every snap matters, every snap. It doesn't matter if it's week one, play seventy or a week fifteen play.
Speaker 2: One, exactly right. You subscribe to this theory.
Speaker 3: Without a doubt, without a doubt. I mean, like for the turnaround of Detroit, before the year we went to the playoffs, I think we were like or two years before the first year Dan Campbell, we were like three and fourteen, but like nine of those games we lost by a touchdown or a field goal. So it just comes down to that. It's not like teams are astronomically better than it's just every snap you gotta make sure you're on your p's and q's and EXEQ.
Speaker 5: So are you happy with right guard? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, as long as I'm playing guard, you know, whatever they.
Speaker 5: Want to do.
Speaker 6: He's a right well, but I think a guys, you know, if you're a left handed guy and you could play left guard. If you're a right handed guy, right guard a little bit more consistent, natural balance and everything definitely well.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I started in the league at right guard. Right yeah, initially I've always had like positional flex like side to side and stuff like that, and especially this past year being able.
Speaker 5: To work a lot of right guard reps. Awesome ability level, big time.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to it.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 2: You appreciated Jonathan something.
Speaker 1: You know, the personality that emerges from veterans young veterans, Uh, you could tell. I think from my perspective, I think you'd agree. He really genuinely loves being here. I think he feels he's got a new lease onund life. Obviously, couldn't play a whole season last year. Was was was going to the Rams, thought he was going to have a long future there, But now a team, actually one of them, they traded for him here. So it's got to feel exactly how he presented himself right.
Speaker 6: Well, you're back to the position you really want to play, your right handed kid, and you're playing right guard.
Speaker 5: That adds a lot.
Speaker 6: Of the balance and the understanding of how to play the position. Then you're back playing with the coach that you're familiar with and you have a relationship already developed with him. And then you're coming into the same division that you started your career and that you're familiar with a lot of the locker rooms, the stadiums, the environments that you're going to play in. And then when you look at you know his commitment to the game. One thing I like that Jonah said, and I keep thinking about going back to that interview. We talked about his preparation and his readiness and he says, you got to be ready because you are your own business. And I've never heard it put that way before, but it is the truth. Ever single one of those guys, whether you're at the top of the list or you're fighting to get to the top of the list, whatever you do to yourself for you to accomplish what you want to accomplish, you are your own business. And that's something that's going to stick with me. And you talk about a young dog teaching an old dog new tricks. That's what he taught me in that interview.
Speaker 1: So you didn't necessarily I mean you did, Let's be honest. You built your own house. You built you You built yourself in.
Speaker 5: The weight room.
Speaker 1: You had that armor on that you knew you could go into any battle and win the day you had to beat. You weren't going to get beat. You weren't going to commit penalties, you weren't going to give up sacks. You were your own business. But you didn't think of it that way at the time.
Speaker 6: Never, I never thought about on those terms because I had the support of a great weight coach growing up here in Francis, Rudy Rudeger. Then I got to meet the great Clyde Emrick, and so those types of encouragements in the building stages of a young guy's career are so important because The reason that you have that self confidence is because you develop a lot of self confidence in the weight room and you believe in your safe and yourself with strength and preparation. But when he said we are our own business, it's like a guy owning his own semi. You are your own business. And that's exactly what Jonah taught me in that interview.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's something everybody should hear, whatever their career is. You are your own business within a business. He had another quote not in our interview, but I picked up doing some research.
Speaker 2: Screw the personal accolades.
Speaker 1: This is Jackson saying it. It's to win it all. The Bears are such a historic franchise, they've been there before. We're excited to be part of a turnaround. I've been a part of a turnaround before. We can definitely do it again. So he knows what it means. He also called himself a glue guy, so they're gonna see my leadership, my work ethic, my effort, my strain down in and down out. He calls himself the Elmer's glue of the offensive line. I appreciate that statement as well, and how can a personality because I feel he's a personality. He's got a good personality carry an offensive line.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, just to reference what all those points that Jonah was saying. I always used to teach Jay Hailgenberg because I tell him that you started making the Pro Bowl when I played next to you, and then you never made it after I didn't play next to you. So it's kind of a I do I say that with joking because I have all the respect in the world for the type of football player Jay was. But when you look listen to what Jonah had to say, or you listen to my examples, it is about the five offensive lineman playing together as one. So it's not about the accolades. Hey, I'm I'm so proud of Jimbo for being in the Hall of Fame. I think Jay should be in the Hall of Fame. I think Jay's stretch of Pro Bowls, what Mark Boortz did going from a defensive tackle to a Pro Bowl offensive lineman, and then the accomplishments of a fourteen year career by Keith van Horn. It's all these accomplishments of all the offensive linemen make the offensive line a great offensive line. It's nothing just one person is doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I imagine it's hard though at the same time because when we talk about accolades, yeah, you want to win. You guys won a lot of games, won Super Bowl, but won a lot of games. So when Pro Bowls were earned and handed out, was how did your unit impact the jealousy factor or you know, the attention factor because you guys as one, we're one big personality. You can go to any of those guys and I interviewed every one of them sports. He probably less of a personality, but he enjoyed. I thought he enjoyed doing interviews. Did it ever impact your.
Speaker 2: Room at aough?
Speaker 5: Never?
Speaker 6: You know, because listen, we had a Hall of Famer that was standing up with the board, you know, running the meetings and watching tape and make sure everybody got coached equally.
Speaker 5: And that was Dick Stanfeld.
Speaker 6: And then whatever everybody was able to accomplish and this it was over. It was always about the success of the football team and that was the big picture.
Speaker 5: It was never.
Speaker 6: About okay, if you got this make guy made twelve Pro Bowls, but you never made it to the play playoffs. That's really not the sense of accomplishment you're looking for.
Speaker 1: And You've always maintained that even in today's you know NFL, the guy you know gets the accolades but doesn't get there in the championship.
Speaker 5: You have some.
Speaker 2: Issues, you have some questions.
Speaker 5: Hey Bears.
Speaker 1: Fan steinhoffls is a proud partner of the Chicago Bears, now open in Orland Park. Steineoffles is Chicago dance furniture and mattress leader with the largest selection to fit every style in budget at his one hundred percent employee owned shop in storing online at steinhoffels dot com.
Speaker 2: One other question about.
Speaker 1: You guys before we move on to the defensive line, What, in your opinion was the reason that you guys didn't miss time, didn't miss practice, didn't miss snaps, didn't miss games for such a long period of time.
Speaker 2: It's not just good fortune. It wasn't just luck. I mean there's no way.
Speaker 6: So what is the reason getting our bodies prepared for the abuse of the game and the offseason in the weight room, And this is wasn't something that we are just trying to get through workouts. We are trying to become the strongest possible.
Speaker 5: Human beings that we could be.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't necessarily over encouragement by Clyde telling us to do things that could possibly injure us. It was the approach in the weight room to make sure that you become the strongest to whatever body type you have, and every one of us were different. But you also had the challenge of Mike Ditka. He was not a guy that was gonna, you know, come up to you. You're not going to go off to him and say, hey, coach, my leg hurts today. I don't think I can go. Well, go put your pads on, do what you can do, and then hold a bag for the guys that are working out there. And we kind of had that all for one and one for all attitude. If we are all, if we're going to practice, man, we're all going to practice. And so there was times when you know, everybody wasn't feeling one hundred percent. Jay played a whole year with a bad elbow and bad shoulder. Jimbo had played a season with back issues. You know, you know, just throughout the course of time, you're committed to what you're committed to. In the first preseason game, on the opening kickoff return, I got hit in the elbow by a ball carrier.
Speaker 5: It blew open my elbow.
Speaker 6: I got fourteen stitches on that day and never missed the play.
Speaker 1: What so this is something I didn't know? Yeah, I thought I knew everything about you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a football card out there, and you can see my whole left leg is just completely blood drenched.
Speaker 5: That it just I got so hard with the helmet of the.
Speaker 6: Ball carrier when I was blocking on kickoff return.
Speaker 2: Didn't you have pads on your forearms?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No, that's that's stuffered North Dallas, Flornia in the movies.
Speaker 5: That's right, you didn't. You didn't wear pads on your arm.
Speaker 2: Hey, were you mad that you didn't make a Pro Bowl? In retrospect?
Speaker 1: Did you feel you played pro let Me ask you this, Do you think you were Pro Bowl worthy at right guard in any particular?
Speaker 5: I think there.
Speaker 6: Listen and I'll give you the honest answer there. I think there were a couple of years that I played well enough to even be considered. But I also played in an era that there was some elder statesman at right guard and left guard that you know, sometimes you get that call. Honestly, I would rather see Jay make the seven Pro Bowls and me make make none instead of me making one and Jay making four or five. You know, it's it's a weird huh. Why Because I admired the way Jay played and where he came from, you know, an undrafted free agent punt snapper who turned into legitimately probably one of the top two centers in the league when Dwight Stevenson was there from the Miami Dolphins. And so I just I'm was happy for what he accomplished.
Speaker 1: It brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears and not to the defensive line in Dio Adengbo, another wonderful person, great interview among the pundits at the time. The signing of Dio was listed tom among the best value moves in free agency by Pro Football Focus, calling him an assending player. He was a second round pick in twenty twenty one, so his best football probably is ahead of him, and it might be right here with the Chicago Bears. He got a long term contract. His play, His reputation around the league is a guy gets a lot of pressures and how he projects to fit in with a big time pass rusher on the other side of the line of scrimmage like Montese Sweat and whatever happens on the inside with Jabon Dexter Senior and Grady Jarrett and the rest of the rotation. I do believe the Bears defensive line is better with the additions here. But is his best football ahead of him?
Speaker 6: Yes, you know, I said, he's got the the athleticism to travel up and down the line of scrimmage. So no matter what position you're looking to have a little bit of relief or some extra reps out of he's he has the capabilities of playing every position. But he's also not expected to come in here as a free agent and be the best defensive lineman they have. He wants to be part of a defensive lineman that has some pretty darn good components on it in Montes and Grady and the development of Dexter and you know some of the you know, the other guys.
Speaker 5: That they have out there competing.
Speaker 6: He's just got to be a guy that is arrow pointed up. And that's why they brought him in here at such a young age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's still a young guy. Let me ask you this. I know, sacks are sexy. You get fifteen sacks, you're going to the Pro Bowl. More than likely you're getting paid. But that's a fifteen plays out of a thousand in a season. Wouldn't you rather have more pressures that lead to disruptive plays a pick? I mean this is something of an exercise that if you sat down and watch every snap on the amount of pressures. What happened on that play with the pressure? Did it mean a negative play? Did it mean an interception? It may not have been a sack, but pressures lead to big plays also or disruptive plays. Now sack strip that changes things. A first down sack puts you in a whole lot of trouble leg a first down penalty, third down sack and crunch time. Obviously, you want those guys on the field at all times. What's your thought on pressures versus sacks?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm gonna say shame on you for every thing he just said, because because I'm more interested in tackles for loss than i am sacks in pressures, because you're not going to have the chance to get sacks or pressures unless you're stopping the run. And when I look at his explosiveness in his ability to get into a winning position against offensive line, I'm just joking about what I said to you.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying that.
Speaker 6: When I look at guys like Grady, if I look at guys like Dio, I look at, you know, hopefully the development of some of these other guys if they can get tackles for loss on first and second down, and then all of a sudden they put themselves into a more aggressible approach by the defensive coordinator or Dennis Allen.
Speaker 5: I think that's when we're going to be rewarded.
Speaker 6: With the sacks and the pressures that are going to result in negative plays. But man, those tackles for loss that you only throughout the twenty five years that we've been together, the only bad Douche ums on a tackle against the run.
Speaker 5: Don't ever Bod Douche on a sack.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends, he might, he might really rip him. Kyler Gordon on a blitz, I'll give him Bod Douche if it. If it rings a bell, it's got to ring a bell.
Speaker 2: I don't use it often.
Speaker 6: Then it's gonna be new for twenty twenty five because up unto this point, bad Douche has come from against a running play.
Speaker 1: When I introduced diout of Tom, which I have to because I can't assume anybody goes back in time. But you know Tom, Tom's on the wall in the offensive line and right now at Hallas Hall, that's number one. And Hee won a super Bowl, so you have to pair it up with a super Bowl winner and the Super Bowl is starting right guard for the Chicago Bears and the Lombardi Trophy as part of his efforts. In the foyer of Hallas Hall, here's a DIO, a DNGBO. You know that trophy in the lobby that you guys are trying to get Tom obviously with the eighty five Bears wins that It's it's very hard, it's very hard to get there. But it's why you play the game, right It's it's because of the love of the game. But you have a passion for and that's got to come through when you come in this building now, right absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean it's amazing to be able to walk through and see the history and the Hall of Famers and then obviously the Lombardi right there in the front. It's a lot of motivation, a lot of a lot of inspiration uphold the standard.
Speaker 1: You're familiar with the Matthews family of the NFL, right, so Tom found this out.
Speaker 2: This is great stuff.
Speaker 1: This is how hard it is. The Matthews have a great history, sixty six combined years from the dads, the uncles, the brothers of experience and sixty six years of combined experience.
Speaker 2: Tom tell them how many Super Bowls they won? One one claim Matthews up in Green Bay. That puts it in perspective a little bit.
Speaker 1: Everybody says, oh, you know, we want our team to want to It is hard, and you've experienced it yourself. You know, you be on good teams, but it takes a lot of luck, a lot of health, and the balls got to bounce your way in addition to being a good football team. So when you start here and you have that wide open road, do you feel like this is going to be a winning program?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the way I see it. I mean, that's what it's felt like since since I signed, Like everything felt like the you know, the stars have been aligning in the right way, and and I'm excited to get out there. You know, we have a great coaching staff, young quarterback, uh, some some great defensive players and and uh, it's gonna be an exciting year. So that's that's that's the journey we're on to that, Lombardi.
Speaker 6: You know, having a chance to meet you here face to face and I looking at your length and knowing what an asset that can be on the defensive line, and then having a chance to talk to Dennis Allen and he talks about how he wants every one of his defensive linemen to be explosive against the offensive lineman they're playing against. And I see those traits in your highlight tape. Is there is there a specific position, a specific spot you like the line up, because it seems like you have the length and the template where you could play anywhere up and down the defensive line. What is your spot your choice spot to play?
Speaker 4: I mean I like to line up all over the all over the line, like I feel like that's a big advantage for me to be able to use my speed inside and use my size outside to create mismatches. So I mean my favorite position is you know, all of them. Just being able to to move around is kind of something that is big in my game and that you know, I'm excited to continue to do.
Speaker 6: You know, you got a guy like Grady and his explosiveness, that's one of the traits that I've always admired about him throughout his career.
Speaker 5: When you have a guy that's at.
Speaker 6: Explosive playing against playing next to you with your explosiveness, it's got to be difficult as an ex offensive lineman to stop both of you guys. So having an asset like that next year has got to be exciting to play with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's exciting. I'm fired up for the Holy Line. You know, you obviously got Montest sweat right four to four guy coming off the edge, and then like he's mentioned Grady, Uh, you know Vet and uh, you know, still extremely explosive and h then you got Decks, you know, in the middle holding a down young guy. But man like just watching him work and watching his work ethic and his explosiveness and workouts and then seeing that translate to Oca's man, I'm excited to play with him as well, and play with you know, the whole D line as a unit.
Speaker 1: The interesting thing is, uh, you know, I hear about defensive lineman like, Okay, I'm gonna go out there and play my thirty five to forty snaps in a rotation, but I'm working this right tackle or left tackle and I'm setting.
Speaker 2: Them up over the course of the game.
Speaker 1: But what you're saying moving around is that then keep the everybody on their toes on the offensive line, and you can feel like maybe they're just bracing for they don't know what.
Speaker 2: So do you which do you prefer? I like, would you like to.
Speaker 1: Get you know, consecutive snapset so you can get a guy set up in the fourth quarter when it's crunch time and it the games down the line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's value to both, and I think, you know, I kind of benefit from both. I do get the opportunity to set up certain guys, you know, unrepeated reps obviously on the edges more just you know, playing there primarily on first or second down. So being able to set them up throughout the game on the edge and then move inside on third down and kind of be an element of surprise really helps. And then also kind of understanding the guys you're rushing with and what they've been showing the offensive line. Have they been given a lot of power, a lot of speed. Once they're set up, you know, someone else can kind of set them up for you. So understanding like you've been bowling them all day, So giving them a different look going out there and being to give a different look is valuable.
Speaker 6: When you get Dennis Allen, he's installing the defense for the first time in front of you, guys. Are they asking you to do anything new or is it pretty much what you've been doing since you've been in the NFL just trying to perfect some of the traits you have For.
Speaker 4: The most part, you know, D line plays D line play at the end of the day. The technique and you know, schematically is it is a little different from what I've been in, at least in the NFL. In the past. Uh, you know, we were in more of a you know, just line up before and just rush for uh. And there's a lot more you know, blissing and schematic changes that come up come with DA's defense. So I'm excited to be in a defense that's a little more on the attack and more aggressive in that in that standpoint, because you know, it creates a lot of uncertainty, especially on the line, when they're seeing different looks, seeing different guys blissing. It kind of makes makes them hesitate for a second. And sometimes that's the difference between you know, pressure.
Speaker 6: Are are the linebackers trying to develop a good relationship with you already making sure that you hold off the double team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, the linebacker is gonna want to look out for you, uh you know, all week so that that you take care of them on Sunday. So but yeah, they're they're definitely excited to play in it and excited to have us up front and helping them out.
Speaker 1: Right, everybody's talking about Ben Jonson's intensity and and but what about Dennis Allen's he's a former head coach now, so well, I see him go to the huddle every single snap. You know, this is the early stages. I can't wait to training camp. But what what's your take on on your defensive coordinator?
Speaker 4: And I love the age just in the in the short short time we've been together. I'm a I'm a huge fan of the way he approaches the meetings and like his intensity like you said, and the way he uh installs his defense like it's it's it's definitely different from a lot of the coordinators I've been around.
Speaker 2: You can you give us an example without giving away the company.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just he's very direct and very deliberate, like he's not sugarcoating anything. And you know there's there's there's definitely a no sensitivity.
Speaker 5: Zone like.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: Tom always says, don't be since.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's definitely he might not say it's nice to be able to definitely say something along those lines. So he's definitely a little a little messed up in the head a little bit. But that's what you want out of your defensive cord. You know, you want a bunch of guys on the defense that are a little messed up. So so, you know, it's been great being with him and just seeing his intensity and the standard that he holds everybody to is I'm excited and and it's been fun already, but I'm excited.
Speaker 6: To you know, more numbers retired on the Chicago Bears than any other team in the NFL. Did you get the number you wanted? You know, did you have to twist Tony Medlin's arm a little bit?
Speaker 5: Or are you happy with what you're wearing? No?
Speaker 4: Actually I did want fifty five, So that was the number I wanted. I know, fifty four it's not technically retired, that's what I was wearing before, but I mean it's basically it's a little off limits understandably rightfully so, but uh actually did want fifty five. I wanted to change numbers already, so it kind of worked out well.
Speaker 1: Barefoot in the grass this is what you pull, right, Yeah, you're gonna love the turf a soldier field now they upgraded it to a different barefoot before games?
Speaker 2: Is this part of your why?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: What's what's the what's the point?
Speaker 4: Well, there is, like you know, there's a lot of people talk about grounding and so right, you know, but a lot of the fields are turfed, so you don't necessarily get the value out of that. But I think it's just one is kind of just a little superstition. And then two, you know, it's just like I guess, like getting my feet at activated, you know, like you've been laying down or taking flights and your feet are kind of you know, not really reacting as quickly as you can.
Speaker 2: Feel the difference, Yeah, I feel.
Speaker 4: I think So, I think it shows up like in your balance and stuff a little bit.
Speaker 6: So Well, there's a famous surfer in uh Hawaii, laired Hamilton, and he goes everywhere barefoot because he talks about the amount of lightning strikes per minute and the planet Earth and it comes up through the ground and then you can feel it in your grounding.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean go bare feet in it feels a little different. It feels a little different.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's it's like, what was the last time you really, you know, went barefoots of grass? Since you're a kid, you.
Speaker 5: Know, right.
Speaker 6: So I just came back from Hawaii, so I spent the last month barefoot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we had Ottawa was a pass rusher. He was here and his routine included so he in pregame warm ups.
Speaker 2: He would take two showers before he got dressed, like.
Speaker 1: You'd go out there. That was his that was his thing. You know, everybody's got something. Tom's a big cook and I read uh, I think here in the organization they did a little something. You're in You make a good yoki. Yeah, what's the what's the secret to your yoke?
Speaker 5: I love the secret?
Speaker 4: Probably not overworking though, you know, not not uh really beating it.
Speaker 2: Up to tighten it up there you go.
Speaker 4: So just you know, just uh, just being uh, I guess.
Speaker 2: A little little. You like doing it though, you like that's part of your fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean I like cooking in general. Like last week, I made some I made last week, might process some shrimp, tacol, stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But I just like cooking. Yeah, I'm with you. I love to cook.
Speaker 6: You know, started with my mom and it just you know, continues today and so you know, it's kind of like a rewarding. You figure out what you want to eat, what's good for you, You make it yourself and you know it's going to be quality and good.
Speaker 1: Well, he'll be cooking quarterbacks. Thank you, thank you. I love the sparring, the discussion. He brings a lot to the table. I like the way he thinks. He's a he's a young NFL player who has a lot of experience obviously playing with the Colts, and I'm excited to see and I'm excited to think that that Lombardi Trophy resonates with people walking through that for every day to the team meeting in the auditorium.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know.
Speaker 6: And again, the reason he's with the Bears is because of the versatility that's needed on the defensive line, components that they're going to have on a on a game day roster. But he's also been on a team that's gone through a coaching change. He understands the difficulty of going through a training camp, that it's going to be a little bit more high tempo and the decisions are going to be a little bit more difficultly made. So I'm glad that he comes in with the experiences he has as such a young guy. But like I mentioned, I'm glad that he's coming in here and not necessarily having to be the top alpha male on this defensive line. You got to be one of them because you're not going to have a non alpha on a football team. But with Grady and Montees and the other guys, you know, he's gonna have a lot of guys to live up to and live off of.
Speaker 1: Eight sacks in twenty twenty three, three, and twenty twenty four despite a career high fourteen games. But here's the consistency. He played a career high seven hundred and nineteen snaps last season that was number one on the Colts defensive line and then grated out in the top half of edge rushers by Pro footbuff Focus so and he got after the quarterback with a lot of pressures. Brooklyn born raised in Texas, went to Vanderbilt and then drafted by the Colts, and then you pair him up with sweat as we give you good new Chicago United Airlines is getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles, like Bluetooth, conductivity screens at every seat, had room for everyone's roller bag. United proud to fly the Chicago Bears and you too. I bring up Montes because again, you know, was he healthy the whole last year?
Speaker 2: We very touched on that on this show and on Bears Weekly.
Speaker 1: Probably not fought through it, but I think he's gonna have a big bounce back year in terms of making play. He still led the Bears and pressures last season, and he's been very consistent against the run throughout his career. So this is not just a Sea quarterback get quarterback. He's gonna he's gonna he's gonna stop the run as well, which is what you're talking about just earlier here with Dio. So that consistency will be important. But how if one of these guys, whether it be the interior or a guy like Dio, or a guy like Shamar Turner or a guy like Javon Grady, Chris Williams coming in the rotation, Daniel Hardy can take some pressure off Sweat to get some one on ones. Will that be equally as important for Dio in the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: I also think it's going to be important for the Bears defensive staff to be able to identify the vulnerability on the offensive line. So say they go out there week one and mont Sweat is going against the right tackle that's playing against a rookie quarterback that's playing in Chicago, and it's a Monday night crowd in Montesa's getting that half step at eighth of a second jump on that right tackle, and it's computing into pressure and putting in a quarterback in an awkward, vulnerable position. So that's what the Bears defensive coaches are going to have to capitalize on. But as they get film in the can week in and week out, they're going to have to identify the vulnerability of the opponent. And then maybe Dio's going to get that chance week two, Maybe Grady's going to get it in week three. Maybe it'll be a combination of Dexter and Zach Dickens in week three.
Speaker 5: You know. So it's gonna be a.
Speaker 6: Process of evaluation because of the versatility of the and the athleticism of this defensive line that they are going to have to take advantage.
Speaker 1: Of our aches, pains or injuries keeping you on the sidelines. Athletico's movement experts are here to help you turn your setbacks into comebacks and create a personalized game plan for your recovery with no prescription or referral needed. Athletical physical therapy is where your comeback story begins. Athletico proud to be the official physical therapy partner of the Chicago Bears. Wrap it up with this at the line of scrimmage we've discussed. I don't think we're going out on a limb saying this. Either left tackle will be the most impactful study at training camp right from the jump. Who wins that job? How healthy is Braxton Jones? Can he start practicing right away after that ankle injury at the end of last season and Asi Trpilo and then the work of Karanamagaji. That's one story. The other story and I'm trying to think of, like where the biggest competitive battles will be as you go in with no depth chart to start training camp. I'm gonna say that that conglomerate of names I just mentioned on the defensive line along with you know Andrew Billings in there, and you mentioned Zach Pickens and maybe some undrafted guys. The battle for the rotation of the eight or nine guys that are be active on game day, would that be you know, as you analyze the whole roster, would that be the other prime location to have your eyes go to training camp to see those battles.
Speaker 6: Yes, So take this into consideration. No matter what the down and distance is on offense, the five offensive linemen, they're.
Speaker 5: Going to stay in the game.
Speaker 6: You're not gonna substitute offensive lineman because it's third and eight, not the third and three defensive line. You're gonna have those substitute opportunities according to like I said, not only the vulnerability of your opponent, but what is the exact down in distance. Now you see this right tackle is out there looking and then you have a guy that's playing over the top of you, and all of a sudden, it's third and long and here comes a fresh Montest sweat off the sideline. Or the way they can change the talent in how they distributed up front, because you get a guy like Dio how tall he is, then you got a guy like Dexter, who's how tall he is. Those are really two unique types of pieces that you can put in place in playing against the eighty five defense. Steve McMichael was not Dan Hampton. Dan Hampton wasn't ming. You're talking about two completely different body structures and when they would flip flop in the midst of a cadence. Now this left guard that hasn't played against McMichael is trying to think about what do I do against this guy? Little shorter, really strong, And then you got a guy like Hampton who used his length as a really attackable asset when he played no matter who he was playing against. So just that whole versatility of this defensive line. I'm interested to see during practice who's playing where, what down and distance during what period.
Speaker 1: Because all those guys can't make it. I mean, there's gonna be some some really good rotational pieces that you know, may not make the fifty three. So I think it'll be it'll be a good, good, good battle.
Speaker 6: And I think that's exactly what Ryan Poles wants. He wants difficult coaching decisions to be made because there's talent lining up each play.
Speaker 1: We're brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. That's going to wrap up this week's podcast special. Thanks to our guests Jonah Jackson and Die with Angbo four time they I'm Jeff jonahak.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to everybody.
Speaker 1: Please subscribe now in the Chicago Bears Official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Bear not Everybody.