Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube, as well. Links available in the episode description. Okay We're here, Season three, Episode eight, Crazy Eyes Killer, I'm Susiasm.
Speaker 2: When you are who?
Speaker 3: Who are you?
Speaker 4: Jeff Garland one of America's top.
Speaker 2: Teens, and who do we have with us?
Speaker 4: Williams?
Speaker 1: Chris Williams himself is a guest with us in the studio, and we're thrilled to have you. One of the I would say this is people's one of their favorite episodes. It's a top five episode, and one of our top guest stars ever would be Chris Williams.
Speaker 4: By the way that I would say easily top three, if not number one. Now, I want to tell an anecdote. Antidot anidot, but by the way, people could be dours saying I need a new story and they're getting it now, so it could be the antidote to their depression. Anyhow So, when we were casting the part, we brought in all rappers, famous.
Speaker 5: Rappers really all killer, ghost face, killer, sticky fingers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Mike Epps came in for it. Yeah yeah, well Mike Apps was the only actor besides you, and by the way, the only person who impressed us besides you. And then what was the dude's name from New Orleans? Uh, master p? Master p came in all right, So all these rappers came in, all right. So Chris comes in full character, crazy eyes. He walks in his crazy.
Speaker 5: Eyes because if I walked in like this, there's no way. But by the way, I left my house that way. I left my house literally looking.
Speaker 2: Like okay, showing up.
Speaker 5: He Yeah, I had brown because I have blue eyes. I put brown contacts in and had these teeth from Hype this show I did with mar Marla and I had things, and I had to leave my house that way just to get a visceral reaction the way. You're not going to buy me bring Hey.
Speaker 4: So I obviously knew because you got in the room because of Marlin.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, Now let's explain. Marla is your ex.
Speaker 4: Wife, but she wasn't officially she had cast the pilot, but back.
Speaker 2: Then, right, but she had something.
Speaker 4: She had done the show with Chris. Yes, but you know, we'd be stuck, or I'd say do you have I'd go through the list and say these are my ideas, what are your ideas? And do you like my ideas? We did this for every episode, and so you know, I've mentioned all these Chicago people and every one of them was through that Marla Jeff festival. And then Chris came in because of Marla because I didn't really know you, you know, I mean, I think I met you at that point, but I don't think I knew you. And so he comes in as the full character. He leaves by far the best audition. See, Mike came in as himself, so that didn't do him any favors because Mike Keeps is a funny motherfucker. Okay, so Chris comes in like that, he leaves. Larry says, is he popular? People like his music?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: He thought you were a rapper.
Speaker 4: And then I said, Larry, you think he's cool? Oh he was great. He was great a rapper being that great to go, Larry, he's an actor.
Speaker 5: And then he was like so happy in a tattoo that said I call myself the wolf Man. You know, the dumb rapper names, so a W L F F and I had a tattoo that said wolf. I mean that's the you know, weird things that a rapper would.
Speaker 2: Right, you just made that up.
Speaker 4: By the way, you came up with the name crazy ass killer Ryes.
Speaker 5: You know why why because they said, well, what's the name of the character after I got it, and I was like, I don't like wearing contacts because I don't wear contexts, right, So I said, but I can't be blue eyes, like like.
Speaker 4: I'm not Harden. By the way, his eyes were crazy in the.
Speaker 5: Episode one eye, right, I said, at least have to were one, So let me just take one out and then I'll call myself like crazy eyes and then I'll just put a killer on the end with all k's. Yeah, so that's that's exactly because I didn't want to wear the contact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it looked great because when you take off your glasses, it's like, what the fuck is wrong with his eyes? And by the way, little sidebar, I'm at the Clippers game and I usually walked out for the halftime show and on the board they say glasses Malone and there's a picture of him wearing glasses and I'm not kidding. He came out without glasses, and I turned around to all the glasses people, He's not wearing glasses, and they a'll go, we're thinking the same thing. That's just wrong, because everybody was like, were the glasses where they went without him? Wow? Right, there's a little sidebars. Actually that's a bit in my stand up, but not that short and not that stick.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so let's start. We're going to start the episode. So here we are with Chris and we just found out how he got the part. And we started out at a party at crazy Eyes house, mostly black folk but there, but also I.
Speaker 4: Saw a white couple eating, you know, that was it.
Speaker 1: And Wanda is showing off her ring to Cheryl her engagement rings, so clearly and crazy Eyes comes.
Speaker 4: Over and the guy who played her father, I do not remember his name. He's a character actor for many years. And he had one line, if he keeps on buying stuff like this for my whatever it is.
Speaker 1: That's parents don't mind their daughter marrying a rap store if he keeps on buying stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, And so he's an actor, he's not an improviser. So every take he did that line and I found that terribly amusing. I didn't mock him, but in video Village I just would laugh every time because he did it. Verbade him the same way, because he's an actor, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Wanda's parents are there, they don't mind. And then we cut to Larry's stomping on bubble wrap.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, Larry, Larry, Larry, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Stuffing on some I know?
Speaker 4: But why why are you doing that?
Speaker 7: Because it makes a fun kind of popping noise.
Speaker 4: It's fun, which, by the way, maybe the best opening that we've ever had.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's clearly not involved in the party. He's clearly in his own head somewhere child enjoying that.
Speaker 4: Like standing on bubble wrap, I love it. Always nothing. As a matter of fact, they used to sell a product for kids that was essentially bubble wrap, real little bubbles, and kids would go on and snap them. But but they were they were it was over for like so it seemed like you rented a ride but took it to a ride that was over, and they had three sheets in like a tube, and then you popped them and it was over. You had to buy more.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that but that's fine for kids, and it's fine for Larry.
Speaker 2: But in the middle of a party, I would have done it and not thought twice about tone deaf.
Speaker 1: And Cheryl feels the same way, because she comes over, what are you doing, Larry? It's making a fun popping noise, and she's why aren't you mingling?
Speaker 4: When he came up from doing the thing when she talked to him, he couldn't keep a straight face. He laughed every time, because hee, Larry loves laughing at other people's performances and what he wrote being executed. And if it's absurd, like him doing the bubble wrap, he comes out of that, he cannot function, right, Yeah, I go ahead.
Speaker 1: So Larry says he's got to leave. He's got to go to Jeff's house to pick up a script. And then we get the information that Jeff and Susie bought a new house have just moved in. It's right in the neighborhood. She asked, what about the dog. You're taking your allergy medications, so the dog is okay?
Speaker 2: And then wait, wait, wait, wait.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait, she says to him, ten more minutes, can you just do ten minutes? And when she walks away. The look on his face is the look I would have on my face of like this is going to be the longest ten minutes.
Speaker 1: He's not enjoying himself. But then Crazy Eyes comes over at the house at.
Speaker 5: Your house tour. Yeah, I still say to the day I'm turned off. All Right, we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that.
Speaker 1: Crazy Eyes comes over and Crazy Eyes has some lyrics.
Speaker 2: You're asking Larry if he could help you out.
Speaker 4: He's a writer, and you want you want any.
Speaker 1: Thoughts he has right now? What now in those lyrics he prepared?
Speaker 4: He wrote that, I'm just saying he wrote that.
Speaker 2: I'm asking him, what tell me about writing those lies?
Speaker 5: Coming into the thing, I knew I had to have something that was prepared that, you know, not off the dome, so to speak. Yeah, and even just being Chris and playing Crazy Eyes trying to give Larry a visceral reaction to I didn't even let him know that I was. He knew I was an actor, but I was trying to still keep that tension between that that I'm a rapper. So I had to write something that was kind of outlandish. But I think the reason why I got the part is because you know, obviously Curve is about improven this on the other but you have to know what the show is about the sensibility of the show, and so many people.
Speaker 4: Would come in not knowing that. And one famous actor in all our seasons I knew, never watched the show, but he was famous and we needed him, and he had never watched the show, and his performance was so tone deaf to what we do that we had to, you know, explain, and it was very frustrating.
Speaker 5: So feeding into the show what the show was about was about the house tour. So I needed to I think I needed to come up with something that's going to fit into the narrative of the show and make it like I'm coming to get you, like give him something to work with of like if you betray me, because I know it's.
Speaker 4: Going to be a betrayal. That's the role of improv. Real improv is I take care of you, you take care of me, Make you rise up, you make me rise up. That's proper, yes, And that's what happened in that scene.
Speaker 1: Snap off your neck with a crackle and pop and Larry, I love Larry is one tiny comment he had to change the motherfucker a bitch, you know, just that one little.
Speaker 4: But your reaction is perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, right, And he had no idea that I was even coming out with the paper, so he was so for the first time. I when I first time I read it, he was like, so it was.
Speaker 2: A true improv moment.
Speaker 1: He didn't know what you were going to say, and so he responded, that's one of the.
Speaker 4: Ones where we yell cut and then Larry laughs afterwards. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So and then you say to him, I'm not allowed to say it?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 5: Oh I said it? Because are you my n word? Are you?
Speaker 4: I have to eat? Now?
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question, Chris, do you think this is in two thousand and three?
Speaker 2: Do you think we could do this episode now?
Speaker 4: No? See, I didn't bother it's a different thing. Well I didn't think. You know, times you look back on stuff like that and it's tone deaf. You're the one opening the door to him saying what it is, which is appropriate. But I don't think there's any I mean, I could.
Speaker 2: Be asking what you think, I'm asking what the world thinks.
Speaker 4: No. No, but but by the way, the world doesn't have a sense of humor.
Speaker 5: In the audition. That's when I did it in the audition. I think that's what sealed the audition for me is because to me as the character, as the character rapper, that's nothing to me saying you know, that's exactly And that's what was the funny part about it. It's like Larry's always in control, but if you can knock him off, and even Larry doesn't know what how to.
Speaker 4: Rewant do it, well, his reaction was yeah, I'll take it, yes, yes, okay, yeah, I am, you know, because he's nervous, he doesn't know what to say.
Speaker 2: So and that was that was you And.
Speaker 4: Well, by the way, that was the beauty of Chris. Except for coming up with the lyrics. All that shit was improvised.
Speaker 1: I mean, although I would imagine you, like eating pussy was in the outline, that wasn't the out Yes, because that's a story point. Yes, yes, yeah, that's what it is. It's a story point. If it's going to come back later, then it's there.
Speaker 4: And if I was.
Speaker 5: Worried about being too jokey even in the audition because the Asian pussy, I was like, oh, let me be something I can eat. Thirty minutes afterwards, I'll still be hungry. Yeah, that was a joke against.
Speaker 4: We don't do shit like that on the show. There's nothing you recognize as a written joke. And also we laugh freely, as opposed to most comedies. Someone makes a quip and no one reacts, which is so false.
Speaker 1: So Chris asked you you like eating pussy, and Larry says I like it, but he's too lazy and it hurts his neck.
Speaker 4: Hurts his neck.
Speaker 1: And then Crazy I says, you know, instead of that joke, you had a great line, which is you have to have all different flavors. Best is Asian pussy because you have to have all the different Well that's what.
Speaker 4: A person would say, not a person that I hang out with, but crazy ass Killer, it made sense for you to say.
Speaker 1: That, right, right, And then there's a whole discussion and about his Wanda going to find out.
Speaker 5: Yes, also him hitting me like you know, playful hitting me. At one point he says, they don't hit me, which gives him a oh, am I your friend? Or am I not your friend? Or am I you know?
Speaker 4: How?
Speaker 5: What what is the status of our relationship? And that's what I kept trying to push against, Like I like you, but I might kill you, but I like you what I might killing but.
Speaker 2: You still he was still in fear of you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, there's this whole thing about Wan going to find out one is that going to find out? And that's where you kind of, you know, put the fear into him.
Speaker 5: And because I said, because you're my friend, right and if you and he's like yeah, because I said you're my nigga and he's like yeah, I am.
Speaker 4: So there's a bonding there, but he's not sure.
Speaker 2: If they're not sure, he doesn't know what it means.
Speaker 4: Keeping him off balances. My goal was the episode.
Speaker 1: And then we cut to Larry coming to our new house and he rings the bell, comes in, You give him a script, and then I come down.
Speaker 4: So happy, so happy. Look at this. By the way, that was a switch scene. What I mean by that is on a dog, yes, no, but a lot of times you build and then that's a switch scene where it's literally a light switch.
Speaker 2: Right, literally switch to one hundred.
Speaker 1: And I asked Larry Susie as Larry, so come on, I'll give you the tour.
Speaker 3: You know what that's okay, I get it.
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Well, you know it's bed gym's bathrooms.
Speaker 4: I get it. I say it.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, it's great.
Speaker 3: You don't want a tour, you don't need to walk around.
Speaker 2: I get the fuck out of my house.
Speaker 1: Okay, Larry, just get the fuck.
Speaker 2: Out right now. I didn't really ask him. I just say, come on, I'll give you a tour.
Speaker 1: That's it, right, and then I immediately get the fuck out.
Speaker 2: Of the house. I'm turned to I'm turned off. I am turned Larry says that all the time.
Speaker 4: But also, it's like a house tour is what you're both building to. Larry says, house tour. Now here's the thing that I want to tell you. Respect the wood and are you my blankety blank and take the house tour. Are all things people come up to me and say all the time. The house tour. You walk into somebody's house.
Speaker 2: They come to your house.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I imagine you can't have anybody over without the man.
Speaker 1: By the way, I was at somebody's house recently, maybe a year or so ago, and he said to me, you want to see the new one that he goes.
Speaker 4: You like your show?
Speaker 2: You're exactly like I don't want to see it. I don't give it.
Speaker 4: By the way, the joke is for you. And I may be more like on screen Larry than on screen Larry is yeah, yeah, you know he's he's much more polite off screen. We are not not that you're surprised by Susie, but I am not. And when I'm not that way, people get very confused. They think because on the show no, no, But on the show, whatever Larry says, and people make fun of me. And for this, in my performance, I'll repeat it and then add to it. And then he says something, I repeat it and add to it. It's like raising building the scene. So that's what people are used to seeing me do. But when I'm extremely honest offscreen, holy shit, I've gotten some very negative responses. I'm not trying to be mean.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: So now we cut to Cheryl and Larry's house, and Cheryl's like, party was fun?
Speaker 2: Did you get to talk to crazy Eyes?
Speaker 1: I mean, he loves the ladies, and Larry's starting to get a little suspicious because she's it's awkward because he's, oh, everybody knows he loves the ladies, and Larry's what do you mean? And you know, it gets a little weird and she's just talking about you being a flirt. And then Cheryl picks up on Larry's weirdness and says, is he fooling around on Wanda? And then Larry tells her and then she's gonna call Wanda right away.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. If you betray me, I'll die.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: I put a nut in your eye in this episode. There are numerous times where you're watching and your natural inclination towards Larry's let it go, let it go.
Speaker 2: He can't, He.
Speaker 4: Can't, you know.
Speaker 1: And Chelse says, that's a song and this is real life. And he says, so you say one word, I'll be in Antarctica.
Speaker 6: You're that scared of crazy eyes that you flee the country.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am, Yes, I am. I want to live. I want to have both legs. I want to have my penis all right and my testicles intact.
Speaker 6: This is her life, Okay, she's starting a whole new life.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, this is my life, and I'd like to live it by not going into handicap parking.
Speaker 1: Which we know he loves handicap parking, and that's that. Then we cut to lunch with Jeff and there's a discussion about the reshoot for the Scorsese movie, which is in an earlier episode that we actually haven't done yet, but we're going out of order. And you say to him, it wouldn't have killed you to take it right, which is just.
Speaker 4: Like take it, say oh it's lovely and get the fun. And the key thing I said to him was, did you have to go somewhere?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Look at that closet house.
Speaker 2: What's the name of that architect?
Speaker 4: Were you in a rush? Did you have somewhere to go?
Speaker 1: And he goes no, But but he says, what am I going to say?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: This is a nice room.
Speaker 7: I like the beam, the beams, Yeah, I like the beams because he thinks his character thinks that if he does something like that, he has to be an asshole when he does it, like the beans, whatever, and know all you got to do even in life, it's just someone wants a house to you don't want a house to sure and all this is beautiful, this is nice.
Speaker 4: Oh I like the wallpaper, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And get the fuck up take pride in their home. You know, people are very proud of their and there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do you know, I'm a deating.
Speaker 4: That's the house. It was also in the palisages. All our houses have been that house. We weren't in very long. The only memory I have in the house is the eenie meenie miney. Most scene with Bobin was in that house. I was in that house.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember that. That's also one of the favorite scenes of all time. But we'll get to that. Yeah, okay, So back a thousand and there's bubble wrap on the floor and there's a whole thing. He's looking for the cream colored jacket with the black stitching that he had worn in the Scorsese movie and the show's like it had a hole in it, and he's like, yeah, where I got shot and he needs it for a reshoot, and she has thrown it out. There's a lot of nerve of her.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: Yes and no. I think you're too rock and cool to do this. You would ask Jimmy, But I think most women, especially on the Jewish side, because I've had it happen to me. No, we had to get rid of it. And by the way, my wife and my girlfriend both.
Speaker 2: I won't, but if it was from a shoot, it might have sent.
Speaker 4: From the shoot.
Speaker 1: Okay, So he got it at Mitchell's on Melrose and he's going to have.
Speaker 4: To when did he have the fantasy of out later later? Okay?
Speaker 2: Good, Okay.
Speaker 1: So he goes to Mitchell's on Melrose and it's one of the Sclar brothers. I don't know which, one of the twins. I think it's Jason, Jason.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sklar Brothers are a comedy.
Speaker 2: Duo who are identical gentlemen.
Speaker 4: Identical twins, and they're funny, fun and.
Speaker 1: They come on later a later episode. They're in curb and i't remember, I think, so maybe I'm thinking of a different show I did. We'll look it up.
Speaker 4: Okay, And you've done a lot of shows, you know, Sissy, you're very successful, and you know who loves you, young people.
Speaker 2: I hope. So.
Speaker 1: So they have one jacket left, one jacket left, and then he's so happy there's one jacket, and then he picks up a sweater that he likes and it's the wrong size and he goes to fold it, but the owner, Jason Sklark, we have a specific way of folding here. I have to fold it and become Okay.
Speaker 4: It's not that complicated gigantic let it go moment exactly.
Speaker 2: You're folding, you're stretching it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just let the guy the guy called don't buy your jacket and get the fuck out.
Speaker 1: But again, this is Larry's whole thing. He's trying to help him. He thinks he's helping him, he thinks he's doing And then and then Jason's glover will not sell him the jacket.
Speaker 2: Or anyone or anyone who.
Speaker 4: The jacket's not for sale when he needs it.
Speaker 1: He needs it for the reshot And I don't like to be insulted in my own store.
Speaker 4: By the way, he was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was trying to help you. Blah blah. Okay. Then he goes home and there's a note from Cheryl on the fridge or wherever went out for drinks with Wanda.
Speaker 1: This is where he has the fantasy.
Speaker 6: There's something I have to tell you.
Speaker 3: Crazy Eyes is cheating on you.
Speaker 6: What How do you know Larry told me that she s Are you gonna tell you that Larry told him?
Speaker 7: God damn right on him.
Speaker 4: Okay, can I say something here? We have had dream sequences if I'm not believing. Yes, I think this might be the only because it's very off tone for the show, going to this land in the bar where she blatantly tells him, Wanda tells him and she's definitely going to say that Larry is.
Speaker 2: From Larry from Larry Larry.
Speaker 4: I don't think we've This is like really off. It's like an imagination moment. No, but it's also we don't do those all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, we've had a couple of flashback things with Larry Cheryl's.
Speaker 4: That's not than a fantasy.
Speaker 1: So Larry has a fantasy that Cheryl's telling Wanda that Crazy Eyes is cheating on her and it's Larry who told me. And then Larry's immediately has to find Crazy Eyes and he's on the calling information.
Speaker 4: Line. It was brilliant. What about an H at the end of Killer? Did you try that? K I L L A H? What about this Z eyes E y E Z? Is that is that possible? No? No, that's an optometry place. Okay, all right, thank you.
Speaker 5: He's like crazy and he's like, no, that's an autometristogist crazy.
Speaker 4: That's the last line.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know how to spell crazy Eyes Killer is with a k is it with the seas?
Speaker 4: It never occurs to him that he would have a real name privately. And then also, why the fuck would a guy like that list his phone? And these are things I believe think about.
Speaker 1: Crazy Eyes does have a real name. That's not his name, that's a made up name. His mother didn't name him crazy.
Speaker 4: I like to think it is.
Speaker 1: One time I was in I was at Serious Radio doing a bunch of interviews and I was in the waiting room, the little green room there, and these two rappers come in and I don't know they were famous. I don't know who they were, and they knew who I was, and they introduced themselves and they were like, my name is Daryl, but my hip hop name is blah blah like crazy as killer.
Speaker 2: And I said, what would my hip hop name be?
Speaker 1: And without skipping a beat, he went, short fuse, that is hilarious.
Speaker 4: And that would be here. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's skipping a beat right there, short views. Okay, so he's trying to get your phone number everything he can't. That's a very funny sequence him trying to get and then he drives to your house.
Speaker 4: And now I want to say something about the house that was a weird ass house in Silver like it was a nunnery. It used to be a nunnery and it just was creepy as ship and I remember Video Village.
Speaker 2: What was creepy about it?
Speaker 4: It just was if you were there the pool, everything about this house seemed like, especially if it was in the dark, is scary. I talked to Chris about it. Then it was fun. It was it was fucking weird.
Speaker 5: It was not renovated, it was being sold, but it was still kind.
Speaker 4: Of had the old nunnery.
Speaker 1: Let me just take this opportunity because I don't think we've mentioned this before on the podcast that we shoot everything on location, So all the houses that people see of ours are are real houses that we use the only time we don't use the studio.
Speaker 4: We did use the studio numerous times.
Speaker 2: For courtroom scenes courtroom seems.
Speaker 4: And then we ultimately use the studio later on for the young Larry stuff that was obviously and for.
Speaker 2: The Seinfeldt stuff in that.
Speaker 4: But those are practical, then, yes, they are practical.
Speaker 1: Generally everything we do is on location. So Jeff's house, my house, Larry's house, they're all real houses.
Speaker 4: Do you know what my all have. My home base is where we shoot from my chair, wherever my chair is.
Speaker 1: That's the house that was Crazy Eyes was a real house.
Speaker 4: And scary as stupid. And by the way, they were a great job with the set design.
Speaker 2: So Crazy Eyes answers the door.
Speaker 4: Don't you in here?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Larry fucking David, goddamn you came to see my motherfucking shit.
Speaker 5: And you know what was cut out? I had a six foot five bodyguard. Oh, I had a guy who whose name was Delicious. Oh okay, and he answers the door, and Larry standing there looking this giant, ginormous man, and he's like, I'm here for Crazy Eyes. And he looks at him and goes hold on and he closed the door and then I come out again. So that part was cut out. That that's why I fed into I remember that even you.
Speaker 4: Were a specific note which was you can't say delicious enough. You cannot, because I loved every Delicious moment and the idea that a guy named Delicious is going to come in and pick up a rapper literally a rapper from a candy or something on the floor.
Speaker 1: But I assumed, having not been there that day, that Delicious was a woman. Yeah, exactly, But if you don't, if you didn't see Delicious.
Speaker 4: But it was a giant man because I met him, you know, And so I found you yelling that you couldn't say it enough. As a matter of fact, three quarters of them got cut out of Delicious. Delicious because I had him going berserk. I go say it every nook and cranny you can fit Delicious, and because I knew if you do that, at least two or three will make it right. I had a problem.
Speaker 5: My big thing, as crazy as being that is, am I hard enough?
Speaker 4: Am I?
Speaker 5: Am I coming across? Because I'm not a rapper. I did my research. I was watching U, MTV raps. I was watching all these things, and and I asked you, I said to the sid because I don't want to ask Latry, I said, how am I doing? You?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: Keep going?
Speaker 2: Keep going?
Speaker 4: Because you played it tone wise believable, like you weren't going hardcore except for your lyrics that one time, but you were believable as this dude. And I find that it doesn't matter what profession. A lot of and I want to name names, but a lot of actors, a lot of rappers they sort of see that their public persona melts into their personal persona and you don't know who you're talking to. Yeah, I see that all the time. But you I was so nervous that I wasn't hard enough.
Speaker 1: No, I think I think everything keep going all right, you dance. Come to the door and Larry says he's supposed to meet Cheryl and Wanda. Do you know where they went? And you say they went to tea bags And then you say to him, hey, you want to tour the house?
Speaker 2: And after the incident with me, he has to say yes. And also he has to say yes to you.
Speaker 1: Because he's scared shit of you. He's scared shit of me too, but in a different way. I'm not going to kick his ass.
Speaker 4: By the way, there's always the potential.
Speaker 2: There's always the potential.
Speaker 1: But and the tours is a dining room, there's a chair and ship, and there's some steps, and there's.
Speaker 2: That's right, there's a door here, there's a door.
Speaker 4: He said, that's the floor. You know what I mean, it's made at of you know, some floor of ship. You know what I'm saying, Yes, made a flourished but that every bit of that was improvised. It's not one thing in the script.
Speaker 5: And Larry actually took right when we were in that dining room, Marry and on a break, he took me aside and goes, hey, I just want to let you know that I really appreciate all the stuff you're doing. I was like, oh, you know, I was like, thank you. Somebody's like I could have written it, Like, I'm sure you couldn't, like, but I'm glad.
Speaker 2: You couldn't have written your poem.
Speaker 4: No way, you couldn't have. Larry is so far from what a hip hop guy is. He could, by the way, that's a lie. And I wish I was standing there because I would have looked at him went you're full of shit. You could not. He would write fun of ship between you, but there'd be no nuance.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, Stay tuned. Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: So then you get to the bedroom. You want a bigger bed so you can have three or four motherfuckers in there.
Speaker 5: And another scene that was cut out is we go into this music room and I have you know, there's people in the room, delicious, and some people say you gotta have you know, three or four you know, bitches you got to spread the bitches out a room here, bitch, And he's like, I like your theory of spreading the bitches out.
Speaker 2: It's because you.
Speaker 4: Gotta have a bitch here. I've been saying to open the door all bitch.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, by the way, that's really funny and I remember that. But if I've had scenes on the show that I am so proud of that I think are hilarious, one quiet one with Larry outside of Graveyard the special sections in this season, right, yes, it is okay that episode in particular, I had two scenes that I love, but neither one of them served the show. Right.
Speaker 5: It's like just sto a black pearl on a white necklace. Yes, it'd be great on its own, Yeah, but if it doesn't work now. It was, and it was also very sile. I'll talk more about it when we record that episode.
Speaker 1: And then Larry has a piece of paper to throw away, and you just like toss the motherfucker and then you know, you're delicious, tell Matilda to come in here and clean this shit up, and then you for an alleys, which I love that touch, that's like that that's brilliant, that ellis touch, you know, that was not in the script at all.
Speaker 2: None of that.
Speaker 5: And if you look at the episode when he that was one of my true improv moments. And he goes, what do I do with this box? And I'm like computing in my head what would a rapper create? I would want to show how rich I am to clean Just throw it and he's like, I just just told the motherfucker and he throws.
Speaker 4: I'm like, watch this now, you just throw that shit anyway, I got some clean up after Okay, thought toss it. Okay, toss the motherfucker. See there you go.
Speaker 5: Watch this delicious delica, Yes, tell me, tell to come in here, cleanish it up, bring me an out of you want just just to give to feed into the wrap like, I'm so successful, I have someone to clean this up.
Speaker 4: And that's when I guessed this episode it would be delicious, delicious, delicious.
Speaker 1: And then he's and then Larry spots that exact Jack get that he needs in your closet, tries it on, and then you say you want to put a plasma screen on the ceiling and have Scarface twenty four to seven.
Speaker 5: Scarface twenty four Because on MTV wraps, when they think WU Tang had a tour. They all had like TVs on the ceiling and a hot tub in the middle. And there's an art piece also in the thing that we got cut out too that I wanted because master P at that time was worth fifty million dollars of just as a businessman, and people think that all these rappers are just dumb. Look at Jay Z's a billionaire. Yeah, so I wanted to make sure like we're looking at the artwork and I was like, yeah, I want to, right, But I was like, I'm a French impression this motherfucker, and I want to pu On Tormo or you know, Matisa Manet and Larry was like that that doesn't make it, like doesn't make sense, Like I would never never think that. But his ghost Face Killer in his tour had like French provincial furniture and flowers, and I was like, that is the oddest thing. And Silk the Shaker had a giant, you know, velvet painting of himself like this, you know, and I was like, this is some So I wanted to incorporate some of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that you were a full blown Chris.
Speaker 4: Hip hop guys R and B singers like Rihanna has made more in clothes and perfumes.
Speaker 2: And she has makeup.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but I'm saying more than her music career, and.
Speaker 5: Nobody than Rihanna one in four billions she's worth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a billionaire. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you give Larry the jacket. And that's when he says are you my Caucasian?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Which was a good and if you look.
Speaker 5: At my you look at my face when he says that, I was like, oh, that's really good. And as you said the yes, and I'm like, yes, yes, that was That was a brilliant, brilliant that.
Speaker 1: It was a brilliant moment. That was a completely improvised moment. That was just fantastic, fantastic.
Speaker 4: Are you my Caca? I'm your man? Are you Michaela? Are you Caucasia?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: Right, all right?
Speaker 4: You know what was to god?
Speaker 2: I love the crib right, it's fantastic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what, I'm gonna get my my wife's gonna kick my ass.
Speaker 4: I gotta get out of here.
Speaker 1: Can this t shirts out that say are you my Caucasian? Made by HBO?
Speaker 2: And then Larry says you do you?
Speaker 4: Oh wow? Did you have those marriage you buy people.
Speaker 5: I mean there's been T shirts. No, a friend, my friend of mine found them and gave them some of the T shirts and of crazy Eyes, and I've been recognized all over the world.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, people, that's what's a very popular episode.
Speaker 4: But easy. We've done one hundred and ten episodes and that's easy. Top five could be number one, but I think Palestinian Chicken is the one that people most talk about. But that's easy, top.
Speaker 2: That's top five.
Speaker 1: And then Larry says I love the crib, which coming out of his mouth, you know, him using the word crib just crack me up. But I gotta go with my wife's gonna kick my ass, Like suddenly he's talking your language. So then Larry Edge is a very noisy restaurant and way back he sees a table with Wanda Ryl and Barbara is also so there, the widow Barbara, and they're like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: How do you know? I was here? And Cheryl is clearly lit. She's a little drunk by the.
Speaker 4: Way she plays that great he did. I believed everything, and I was like, wow, because that's a tone of you know. I had to audition once for a part in a Alec Baldwin Demi Moore movie and Bob Odenkirk directed me in his backyard to be drunk and I couldn't do it, and he did it for me, he like, he got me there and we turned it in and I was second runner up. What did you mean another guy? The other guy was way better, but I still got that far because of Odenkirk. But playing drunk, My point is it's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, and not to seem like stereotypical. Right, No, Cheryl, did they go right?
Speaker 4: No, that's what most people do.
Speaker 1: So Larry tells him he went to Crazy Eyes, that's who he knew he was there and Wanda immediately we find out Wanta knows he's cheating on her because you went to that Sound of a Bitches house. He's cheating on me, and she wants to go tell him, you know, and Lars, who are you going to tell him? Told you heard it from? And is it back and forth there?
Speaker 4: But but by the way, leave well enough alone. Cheryl signaled him that she didn't do it, that she actually did.
Speaker 2: Hear alone, there's no show.
Speaker 4: Well, by the way, yes, of course, remember I said how the costume designer said, why can't every to Larry and I why can't everybody get along? And Larry started telling you upset about teaching her conflict and she didn't quite get it how important it is. And yeah, that's a scene, by the way, that's the number one leave well enough alone scene in the show. That's where he really buries himself.
Speaker 1: Well he's he could think it's the wrong person, told you the wrong person, on and on and on, and.
Speaker 2: Then Cheryl let it go, and.
Speaker 1: Then and then Cheryl's like, maybe we should dance, And Wanda goes to call Crazy Eyes and Larr's, I tell him who told you?
Speaker 2: You know, he's obsessed with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what am I?
Speaker 7: Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait, Larry walked one out to a car.
Speaker 4: To turn What am I going to do? But by the way, I love what the widow says, because everyone's saying how they went fuck around? You know, she says, my husband is dead and I wouldn't funk around, which I love that one.
Speaker 1: Then they're home and Cheryl's like, why wouldn't you dance with me? She's still drunk, and.
Speaker 4: And Larry that drunk when she plays drunk, and that scenes.
Speaker 2: Even better, even better, it's quieter, you know, the other was the noisy.
Speaker 4: Cheryl's drunkenness reminds me of many people that I've seen drunk. No, she was she got it, Yeah, she totally.
Speaker 1: She's been drunk once in her life. And and Larry didn't want to once. And Larry didn't want to upset the widow. And Larry, you ever see the look on widows faces when couples are dancing, you know, it's like he's so he's so sensitive.
Speaker 4: And by the way, she says she went to Minded one day.
Speaker 1: And then Larry makes her promise that she didn't tell Wanda, that it was him who told her. And then Cheryl says, what did you tell Crazy Eyes about oral sex? So clearly Crazy Eyes told Wanda, and Wanda told and what I wanted to tell you.
Speaker 2: It hurts my neck sometimes.
Speaker 1: And then Cheryl feels that's an inappropriate thing to talk to somebody you hardly know at a party. And then there's a knock on the door, and who is it. It's Crazy it's Crazy Eyes Killer.
Speaker 5: I just called myself killer too, killer.
Speaker 1: And Larry starts running away. Oh, we didn't say that. There was some bubble wrap on the floor earlier, or maybe we.
Speaker 4: Was upstairsstairs and.
Speaker 1: In their house, and so Larry's running away, but he's stepping on the bubble wrap, which is making noise, and then Killer is like, get your ass down here, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: What the fuck? Cet?
Speaker 5: I thought we were COODI la d e l A with an apostrophe over.
Speaker 2: The now, what does that mean?
Speaker 5: Me and my boys were in Martha's vineyard one summer and we said, let's make up a word to see if people will start saying it. So that's an homage to my boys.
Speaker 4: No one said it. Have you were Virginia Virginia Beach? Sure?
Speaker 5: I think it was at the vineyard and it was just like are you? And no one has any idea what it means or anything. But that's why I'm glad, because.
Speaker 4: I have you ever heard of people using it?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a podcast called Coon de La. They call it cool. They think it's cool day la. But I keep I always so it means nothing. It means absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I thought we were meaning. I thought we were each other.
Speaker 4: The Caribbean fans they described themselves as good. I'm making it up. Christ You're looking at me like really, no, Pirates of the Caribbean fans use Coon.
Speaker 1: Delah and then then I like when when you turned to show and you say you're fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And by the way, I love that she has no reaction.
Speaker 2: Now, what could you well in that scene?
Speaker 5: Also, I said I needed to come in as hard as I could possible. And when she was you know, she's chirping in my my drunk, going like you didn't love her, and I turned her and I go, shut the fuck up, bitch, which is what crazy eyes would do. And you guys were like, just maybe tone that down, like we need to go there, Yeah, because.
Speaker 4: There you would do for a gangster film, right, not not a comedy. We're not afraid to use word, right, but that was.
Speaker 2: Really we've already in this episode.
Speaker 4: Yes, so many in this episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then you want the jacket back. He throws the jacket. You leave with the jacket, and then Larry says that my neck is feeling pretty good because he like wrenched it when he threw the jacket.
Speaker 2: So we get a look from Cheryl and we know.
Speaker 5: What's going to happen next, right, and the callback at the end of that thing, the callback of you're not my nigga anymore, and he's like, I want to be your nigga, you know, I want to be I want to be that to you. I'm like, no, you're not anymore. Like that's the final straw. We're not friends anymore. It's like, but I want to be friends with you.
Speaker 4: That moment, his character really does want to be friends. Exactly does he actually at this point values being friends with you?
Speaker 1: Then we cut to post coital look and Larry. You know, Larry is gagging because he's got a Puba care stuck in his throat, which remains stuck in his.
Speaker 2: Throat for several episodes I recall.
Speaker 1: And next we're on the stage with Scorsese where they're doing the reshoot.
Speaker 4: Scorsese, by the way, fantastic, wonderful. He is so funny playing himself.
Speaker 1: And Larry's telling them he doesn't have the jacket, etcetera, etcetera, But the wardrobe person has a backup jacket. So he went through all of this for nothing because there was a backup jacket.
Speaker 2: But he didn't know.
Speaker 4: The wardrobe person was Wendy Morgan aeron O'Malley's wife.
Speaker 2: Oh was that.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that?
Speaker 4: So The next episode is Bob Whitey's Wife, which he directed that episode. And then yeah, that's Aeron O'Malley, who was an executive producer on the show and director and one of my best friend. I was at their wedding. Who doesn't love young people falling in love and getting married.
Speaker 2: Then we cut to Scorsese.
Speaker 1: He's saying, he's gonna kill me this guy, you know, because clearly Larry is a huge pain in the ass. And then we cut to something that I love, which is Larry in a wig.
Speaker 4: You should have seen that to a faceful I took out that night. He set the pin. He said, you don't got no call.
Speaker 6: How do you know you don't got no call?
Speaker 2: I said, I got called yesterday, I got called today, and I'll have called tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Oh ah, got it. Got And in a future episode there's that rooftop scene within the mustache and the wig, the Scorsese thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, in the prior episode.
Speaker 4: Larry doing a character with a mustache and a wig, which would never happen except for a sketch show right right or our show. And he plays it straight, by the way, which there's.
Speaker 1: Actually been several times he's been in a wig. Well, yeah, what was There were several flashback scenes to a young Larry and Cheryl where he was in a wig and she had big, big care. Those are in later episodes. So Larry is in a wig and he's playing a gangster and then he starts gagging because the puba Care is still stuck in his throat.
Speaker 4: And by the way, the look on Scorsese's face because everything is going swimmingly, it's all good. And you can see Scorsese at that point saying, cut print it. You know what I mean. It's beautiful Scorsese. You can see him nodding and smiling. And then the puba Care.
Speaker 1: Oh, dear guy owns everything, and you just know that it's going to be for every take, every take. And that's the episode. And we thank Chris Williams for being here with us.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen you for a while. It's fantastic, very happiness.
Speaker 2: That was truly a performance of a lifetime. I thank you.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that. It's gotten me a lot of recognition and work. Yeah, it's got me worried. I got dodgswall because of it.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's great, that's great.
Speaker 4: You're hilarious and thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: All right. Enjoy your good looks for the rest of the day. I will try, all right. I appreciate motherfucker. Yeah bye, everybody.
Speaker 2: The History of Carver Enthusiasm is a production.
Speaker 3: Of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from
Speaker 1: iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.