Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, heckma Harrison, and New.
Speaker 2: He scrugs.
Speaker 3: Monday, Monday, Monday Monday, Draft Week is here. Let's ride on the players Une right, you buy tostitos. Heck Maharrison is here, Danny McCrae is here. Mister perfect attendance is not here. I'm new, He scrugs. Mister perfect tendants would be Barry Church. Church.
Speaker 2: What is uh?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 5: What does perfect attendance really mean? Because I remember, you know, you don't make fun of me for not being here. At least I was. I was working. I know, I know what here. I've seen him out dad in Mexico, Lande, Mexico. That was the White Love Mexico White Birthday. So I understand, you know you got stuff to do. He could have came back Sunday so he could be perfect attendants. But you know, Church, we miss you, bro, see you next week.
Speaker 3: We got zoom capability.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think anybody wanted to zoom with a brother. That is an all exclusive resort. Right, he might have started earlier. I don't think we want to talk to b CBC. Do your thing. You stay out there.
Speaker 3: Man, you're perfect.
Speaker 2: Your tendanc is no longer perfect, though you call yourself that.
Speaker 5: Okay, I know the perfect attendance, man, it is probably listening with a with an umbrella drinking his hand.
Speaker 2: Right now, he's not listening. He's not listening.
Speaker 5: I wanted to get look, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 3: All right, he's you wouldn't be listening. You wouldn't be. I wouldn't be. No, no, no, So when you was in Spain and you wouldn't listen, we were We didn't do anything when you was Yeah, yeah, we was on.
Speaker 5: We were talking about you being on your on your vacation for schools work school.
Speaker 3: Yeah you worked out right, Yes it was. It was two weeks, yeah, yes, yes it was. Yes, it was. Shout out to you, man. Everybody wish they could work like that. Lisbon, I highly recommend it. My friends lit Madrid not so much. Lisbon. Yes, the twenty six pick in the draft right now, the first round is being held by the Dallas Cowboys. Oh, by the way, we are coming to you from the Star headquarters of the Dallas Cowboys, and they do have a press conference at high noon today. So Gerald Wayne Jones is going to be there, Steven Jones will be there, Will McLay will be there, and head coach Mike McCarthy. So they're going to give us their take on the draft. And for me, I want to get your guys like, what question would you want to ask to me? I'd like to ask Mike McCarthy, what types of changes would you like to see draft wise? As you are now the play caller here for your offense.
Speaker 5: I was about to say, make sure when you introduced Mike McCarthy, you say Mike McCarthy head coach and play caller.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: We want to make sure that everybody understands that Mike McCarthy is now the play caller and not killing Moore. Right, McCarthy head coach and play caller right now? You know what I want to know what Mike is looking for now that he is the play caller. The whole gripe I think in the offseason has been about the offense. The number one offense at certain points at the season, Daniel McCrae. We know that we need stuff, you know, and will it be offensive line, will it be skilled positioned?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: There's so many mysteries around this draft, and to me, it's because it's not that deeper draft. I don't see the talent there for us at twenty six. A lot of wonky things are going to happen on Thursday, and if some guys fall because some teams at the top ten, top five are desperate, then I think it could make for an interesting night. But if it goes according to the board, I don't know what's going to be there for us at twenty six. Yeah, I would like to ask Mike McCarthy, the head coach and play caller, about the offensive line and what he thinks about it, especially since he's in the past. Or as soon as La More was out of here, what I heard from Mike McCarthy was, we need to run the ball. Our defense is strong and we need to give them rest and we need to be able to run the ball more. Does that mean that you are going to focus more on your offensive line? Because I always hark it back to twenty fourteen, and then I'll go back to twenty sixteen when you have this offensive line in this running game, and at that point, the offensive line was feared. When you have your offensive line like that, it helps you be able to then do what Mike McCarthy wants to do. Right, Church played on the twenty fourteen team, and I promise you they were on the sideline rested when I was playing for the Bears. Them dudes was on the sideline the whole time, chilling, chilling. They came in, got a three and out, then they went set back on the bench for another eight minutes. Right, And that was one of the best, best, best teams of the last ten years for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: So is that something that we're focusing on this draft?
Speaker 5: As a former player, does is there any intrigue for you in the way that the league has changed away from that mantra of we're gonna run the ball. It's not even it's not there anymore. Everybody wants to play seven on seven style right now. And let's think about it. Even the running back position, there's only b Jon Robinson in the first round. Nobody else is talking about Gibbs from Alabani. You're not talking about any other running back. We're only talking about receivers.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: I think it's more of how the running game has changed from power trap counter now.
Speaker 2: To zone read speed sweeps right.
Speaker 5: So when you're running power and trap right, de Marco Murray and Ezekiel Ellie and Derreck Henry, those guys, they don't have to catch out of the backfield as much. What they have to do is be able to read those blocks when the guard pools around. Now you got to be able to have read option. You need to scat back a guy who can get through the hole really quickly, like a Tony Powler, like a Miles Sanders, those type of players, and then you also have to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield. So I think it's just changed a lot, and it's actually exciting to see now. Not as exciting for guys who are are accustomed to hitting the hole in the power being able to run a trap and read those blocks and get up get up the middle like of Adrian Peterson. Now it's more Christian McCaffrey and Miles Sanders and those type of guys. So I think it's more fun for the game, but it's a you know, it's it's a big change from what I grew up playing and watching.
Speaker 3: Another question, like to ask Mike speaking of the run game, Skippy Pete was very honest when he said Pollard and Zeke are a tandem, and Mike has talked about how you know you don't really have a one horse running back anymore in the league. That it's it's it's a job for two guys, Tony Pollard coming off an injury. How do you improve the running back room? Is it through the draft? Do they look to bring someone in after the draft, what else do they do? I just feel like the running back room is not complete right now, not enough. No, the contract he signed basically you cut him during camp. He got make the team. So to me, when you sign somebody with a contract contract like that, that I mean you've been in a game long enough to.
Speaker 2: You Oh yeah, yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 5: I just you know, like when you pick up players like Ronald Jones, or you look at players old film, right, it's hard for you not to be like, oh, man, I remember when he had a ninety nine yard run, or when him and Leonard four nettwork competing for the starting job out there and Tampa and Leonard four Nette got hurting you like, oh, Ronald Jones has arrived, and then you remember that he also lost that job again and then it became playoff Lenny, Right.
Speaker 2: But you hope when you pick a guy up like that that you.
Speaker 5: Can get the other guy, that guy who can can be the one two punch with Tony Poller.
Speaker 2: But you just don't know.
Speaker 5: So, so to your point, I think you got to get somebody in the draft, not as early as first round. I don't think you have to do that, but I think you have to get somebody who can come in and spell Tony Pollard whenever he gets gets a little fatigued, or just to make sure to wear a terror is not too much for him to go throughout the full season. No, and Renald Jones, to me, could be that bridge player. He could be a guy that can feel in if you don't have a pick a running back and you don't get a running back. All right, But I still believe that in a guy like Malie Davis, I think we've given him plenty of opportunity. But I get and I see the promise in him as well. The thing is is when you go back to Mike McCarthy and his offense, is it gonna be along the lines of what you're talking about those read uh versus power?
Speaker 2: You have an offense that can do power.
Speaker 5: The only team that I can think of that would would you say San Francisco would be a power run team with they yes, okay, Philadelphia power run team on more of a zone or the the red zones And okay, I think my answer to yours will say, if Dak Prescott is going to run the ball and provide.
Speaker 2: Let's say no, let's say know right now.
Speaker 5: Maybe you're gonna have to go along the lines of a Shanahan type of style of the game.
Speaker 2: Has to be really creative. But yeah, YOU'RENNA.
Speaker 5: You're gonna run in between the tackles often enough to where you're gonna need two guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I like Ronald Jones. I like the addition of Ronald Jones. But to me, I have that stuck in my head from Mickey Spagnola Bridge Players, and I just kind of felt as though he.
Speaker 3: May have been that.
Speaker 5: But I'm with you Newie on that when he has to make this team, so he's really gonna be an uphill battle for him, especially if the Cowboys can't take him away with b Jeon Robinson in this drive.
Speaker 3: I am not allowing myself to believe that there will be any Bjon here.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm just not.
Speaker 2: We got lucky with CD.
Speaker 3: You know somebody. I was Chris armen Field in but I did a guest spot on his show one of three, The Fan City, and they brought up Todd mcshay's and the Cowboys when they trade. Could see them trading up to seventeen for b Jean Robertson my first tart, I said, look, I like Todds. Remember Todd before he got the ESPN. We try to do the come up, but Todd is doing what you people do. During this time, we're gonna talk about a rumor. What are you giving up to get to seventeen? Who do you have to get in front of? What are you willing to also say we don't need this second or third round pick? And we're talking about a team here that has to dole out some pretty significant contracts coming up here soon. Cedee Lamb has to get paid. Trayvon Diggs has to get paid because while CD was on a five year contract, Digs was on a four year contract. Michael Parsons has to get paid, Dak Prescott has to has to be renegotiated. So if you're talking about moving up to seventeen for Bijon, what are you going to give up second third round pick that you say we don't have access to that particular player because we're going to move up to get Bjon Robinson. Or maybe you're saying we'll have Bijon on a very team friendly contract and we don't have to have Tony Pollard after next year. That puts ten million dollars someplace else. I mean, I'm just but I just don't see the run. I don't see them doing that with the running back. And then let we just bring up this last point. Went back to see Kansas City's last rosters on the two Super Bowl teams they've won. For Patrick Mahomes at running back the Super Bowl fifty fourteen, Darwin Thompson, Lashawn McCoy, who sat on the bench and he was mad because they playing that bill right, he playing that game. He was an active and Damian Williams. Damian Williams seventeen carries one hundred four yards and a touchdown, and that win over San Francisco not one hundred and twenty nine total yards rushing. Then last year the Super Bowl fifty seven back in February, it was Jared McKinnon, Ronald Jones, other Cowboys. Clyde Edwards. Hilaire was a running back on the team, but he was inactive. And then it was Isaiah Pacheco's seventh rounder, Andy Reeves always run the football wherever he's gone. But if this is what he's winning with here, you don't have to go get Bjon Robinson the way some people are saying. In my opinion, if you can block, okay, you can block, and you get good quarterback play, you don't have to have O. J. Simpson or Jim Brown to win the championship.
Speaker 5: I want to be I want to be fair in this one and say Andy Reid has Patrick Mahone, Travis Kelcey and Eric being and me and him both outstanding play callers, being able to bounce ideas off each other and see things that others may not be able to see in game and make things like that happen. Right, So you can't get any you know, seventh rounder to come in there in any offense to be able to do that. But if you have an offense to where man we got to focus on Travis Kelcey, oh I met Patrick Mahons might be able to do this. He gets us in trouble when he's out of the pocket, when he's on the move. We have so many other things to focus on. Oh wait, now we got Tony coming through here and he's running the ball like you have so many other things to worry about. If we can have our offense be that dynamic, right, is that going to be on the move and be able to scramble like a Patrick Mahomes Is is our tight end play going to Gardner? The type of attention that Travis Kelsey os. How is our receiving room going to do? Because last year outside of CD lambt so. But if you can get all of that, then yeah, you could throw seven rounder in there and be like, all right, well, we just need you to have one good game. But when you're leaning on your running game for the entire season, you might need a Bjeon guy or Tony Polar or Ezekiel Elliot of the past to be able to carry that for the.
Speaker 3: Entire elite Hall of Fame players.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's a that's a great articulation of just saying this, ain't that's what you.
Speaker 3: Just basically did. This Ain't that argument?
Speaker 5: I mean, and look, man, y'all know the positive heck over here. I feel like I'm always pandering to the crowd of people that see the silver lining and everything for the Dallas Cowboys. But I'm preparing myself to be ticked off on Thursday. Really, I am. I am because so much of this season last season just looking at what philadel did in the trade that they made.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia has the tenth.
Speaker 5: Pick in this draft lot call it that sink in the runner up to the Super Bowl. Has the tenth pick from New Orleans. Now, how did all that come together? New Orleans traded a pick to them that ended up they went seven to ten last season, ends up getting ten and oh, by the way, last year, Philadelphia takes those picks that they received from New Orleans and just offers them up for one AJ Brown.
Speaker 2: How did that work out?
Speaker 3: You know, you get a guy that.
Speaker 5: Comes in and improves your team immensely immediately. These are the kinds of moves that I am begging for. The Cowboys to make you know, heck a lot.
Speaker 3: Of Cowboy fans and we were doing the show after they took Tyler Smith weren't happy and I remember with a big knock on Tyler and people said, hey, the guy was in the American Athletic Conference and he was nobody held more people in college football than Tyler Smith. I mean, it was not a lot of positives going on, people saying they reached you but not and what did we see? He was one of the most valuable pieces that they had last year. Mike McCarthy consistently talks about position flex started at guard. Next thing, you know, right before the season starts, Tylern smith hamstring problem goes out the left tackle. I hadn't played the left tackle all the camp. Guy had a heck of a year. So are you gonna be ticked off by what the Cowboys jew? He can be ticked off by what are the people in the division who are gonna be drafting ahead of because.
Speaker 5: I see the division getting better. That's just the Eagles are gonna get a great player at ten. They can get a Jalen Carter.
Speaker 2: They could.
Speaker 5: I mean, come on, let's let's put that together. And to be honest with you, I'm gonna say the same about Tyler Smith, the Great Unknown. He was one of those guys that they had boots on the ground. They figured out that he could have that possession position flex. We hadn't heard of a lot of players this season. Maybe the TCU. The TCU guard that we talked about. A guy can play guard or maybe center. Other than that, I go back.
Speaker 3: To the time I was working in Cleveland and the Browns had the tenth pick in the draft. They wanted tight end Kyle Brady and Mike mcmulla. Both guys went off the board, so they panicked. Mike Lombardi was running the draft room. They panic. They traded it all the way down with the forty nine ers. The forty nine ers took at the tenth pick, and they were praised. JJ Stokes, wide receiver out of UCLA, all American wires. This is the next Jerry Rice. They got Jerry Rice Junior. I mean, and so here the het did the Niners do it? We don't know. And they are more missus. I mean, he started looking at this stuff. He go back, Man, the bus rates gonna be fifty percent plus. And so while yes, Philadelphia is sitting here at tenth. You know, they couldn't mess it up. There's still the same dude who took Jalen Rager.
Speaker 2: It is, but he made up for that just.
Speaker 5: You go.
Speaker 3: Brown, He just stayed with that loan. So you know, so so we'll see. That's the thing we'll see. I mean for us to just all like, hey man, and he's gonna hit. Maybe he doesn't hit.
Speaker 2: You talking about who? Okay?
Speaker 5: I thought you're talking about Jonn Robinson. Y'all remember when Trit Williams was the guy I mean, uh rich Richardson, Yes, you remember that Cleveland.
Speaker 3: I mean he tore it up in that National Championship game against Alabama. You know what, man, this is why I'm glad they don't let, you know, buy stocking players because I had a bottom buck. I'd have had a lot of Trent Richardson, Carson Palmer and r G three stock.
Speaker 2: You know what I saw? I saw?
Speaker 3: I saw.
Speaker 5: I saw a Sports Illustrated ad about the Tony Mandrids Draft.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? Right?
Speaker 3: Aikman in that draft and Aikman.
Speaker 5: Dion and Barry Sanders Junior, sound oh Man and Tony mandridch you talk about bus central, so I know it's a reach. I know teams obviously are desperate enough. And that's why I look at the top ten of this draft because I know so many teams are desperate for a quarterback. It's it's amazing, amazing to me, Like, kid that the quarterback from Ohio State, the way that people say, oh, Houston may not take him, you may fall all the way out of time. I'm like, dude, there are teams that are talking about considering seriously getting the quarterback from Kentucky.
Speaker 3: So we're being lied to consistently right now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: Look if you're not absolutely, if you're not lying, if you're a team and you're not lying to me, you're doing it all wrong. But you've seen, but you've seen teams reach at those top teens. So I'm actually agreeing with what you're saying. That's saying that Philly could do that. But we know that they don't need a quarterback.
Speaker 3: I mean, is this draft thing is crazy? Yes, they don't need a quarterback because they just pay jail. It hurts better. Mean, now, this is the same league that you know, not only did they draft mental Trubisky ahead of Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. We saw a team trade to do it.
Speaker 2: It's Chicago.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're right, but foolish will occur in Cleveland. The same team that had two first round had the first and the tenth pick, took Miles Garrett smart pick and then traded away to ten. To you who takes the Sean Watson? And then what do they do years later? Here dashine two D and thirty one guarantee we're going mistakes will be made. If you're a Cowboy fan, I think you should feel really good because they've done a really nice job of drafting guys in the first round. Let's take a break here we started to lay here right here, the players, Let's take a break. I won't give a name. Let's not give a name. Let's just give a position. Okay, Thursday night, what position do you want? And go anywhere you want. Danny mccraye, Heck Mahars, some NEWI SCRUSS players not by to Steve over here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 6: It's Smoothie King's Original Angel Food and New Angel Food Slim without added sugar. You no longer have to choose between treating yourself and hitting your goals this summer. You don't have to choose between great taste and feeling great because that's Smoothie King. Every blend is made with whole fruits and no syrups, so you can satisfy your cravings without compromise. The only choice you will need to make is which one is best for you. Try our classic Angel Food or the new Angel Food Slim Blended without added sugar. Smoothie King Rule the day.
Speaker 7: Attention Cowboys fans looking for the best shave of your life. There's a new official razor of the Dallas Cowboys, Shave Logic. Imagine not having to buy blades as often and getting more smooth shaves than your old razor guaranteed or your money back. After more than ten years of research in over one hundred and fifty company patents, shave Logic is proud to offer Cowboys fans a special offer for a limited time, visit shavelogic dot com and get a free ten dollars gift card with your purchase. Go to shavelogic dot com now for more smooth shaves guaranteed.
Speaker 8: Nobody protects you from mayhem like all steak you hear that I'm a torrential downpour. Torrential what's that even mean? It means you can't see out of your windshield and if you have the wrong car insurance, you might have to make it rain to.
Speaker 3: Fix your bumper.
Speaker 8: So switch to all State, save money and be better protected from mayhem like me.
Speaker 9: Based on coverage and then it's selected center to de jurns conditions and availability in most states. Prices very based on how you buying. All State barn Cashty Insurance Company and affiliate struth Brook Illinois.
Speaker 4: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped the.
Speaker 3: Pres scout who looks right, it's not there. He escaped flapped. He'll look for a per Styn.
Speaker 4: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 1: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 4: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 3: Back to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 5: Come out to the Star in Frisco for the Dallas Cowboys Draft Weekend presented by Miller Lyte. The party starts on Thursday, April twenty seventh at six point thirty. Enjoyed draft coverage, players, players appearances, live performances, and more. On Friday, come back for Draft Night Out with live music and games. Then finished strong on Saturday with the Draft Day five K presented by Baylor Scott in White Health. For more details, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Draft.
Speaker 3: Heckmharrison thank you very much. HECKM. Harrison is here. Danny Crazey here having new he scrugs. Brother Barry Church is you know, chilling viva.
Speaker 2: I guess he is.
Speaker 3: He gonna watch the draft. Mexico too, have Mexican Draft on out there.
Speaker 5: You know, probably see all week. Did he take his clubs? Though he did?
Speaker 3: I saw him and the wife. They was on the ground.
Speaker 2: They were both swinging the clubs.
Speaker 3: That dedicated t ships puts his club.
Speaker 2: What's gonna take them clubes?
Speaker 3: What's that cost? Do you think we're talking about?
Speaker 2: Bear Church?
Speaker 3: I'm just asking. You know, you think one day I might Maybe one day I'll buy some clubs and just see you. Because my buddy roland Mark does the same thing where he goes. I ship my clubs out there like hard, right, you.
Speaker 2: Know me let me. I don't know if he should his own clubs out there.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you already said.
Speaker 3: He pull up, He pull up to the tarmac.
Speaker 2: Hey, I don't know.
Speaker 3: He don't Walmart the only targ out.
Speaker 2: Okay, point.
Speaker 3: Take Cowboys at twenty six right now, this is this is where they're expected to draft. Last time they drafted a twenty six, it took Anthony Spencer, linebacker out of Purdue and ended up making a Pro Bowl in his career. So position not necessarily a name I'm really need it, but position at twenty six, hec Maharson want to see the Cowboys take Thursday night. I'm torn.
Speaker 5: My man started with offensive line, and that's what's had me thinking about offensive line more and more. When I think about our defense and how stacked they are, I start calling out all the names and I go, damn, do we really need any more defensive lineman according to what we have over there? I mean because we should be looking at this defensive line and saying, man, that's a that's a very crowded room. Linebacker is the position that I think I'm more interested in because of guys not working out. But it's all for me. Seriously, guys, it's it's on the other side of the boss offense. Uh, Danny mcray, you've you've won this argument with me. I believe that offensive line is the play where they need to go. And if you can't get him in the first, try and get him in the second. But definitely offensive line. Off the top of your head, Nowid, can you tell me how we built that that fears, that fear offensive line back from tyrannt It was started with Tyron's right, and then we ended up getting Travis Frederick Zach Martin.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Yes, you gotta start by drafting these guys, right, That's how we got there. So we got Tyler Smith last year. First piece. I don't want him to be one of the best swing tackles or whatever, versatile being able to play guard and tackle. I want him to be able to play whatever position he plays the best, right, and then draft another guy opposite of that. Right, So now you got him, you got Terren Steele. Where are you weak at right now? Interior offensive line, figure out a way to get that sold up. That way we can play to our defense. Right, we do need an interior defensive lineman. But that's not the reason why we lost to San Francisco. We lost to San Francisco because Dak was under pressure forcing them to make some bad decisions, and we were not able to run the ball after Tony Pouler got out of the game. This all leans onto me play calling and your confidence and your offensive line. So I'm always gonna keep going back to twenty fourteen to twenty sixteen recipe for success across the league?
Speaker 2: Can you run the ball? What does your offensive line look like?
Speaker 5: And then you can say, all right, we have a recipe for being successful. Do you remember the Super Bowl with Kansas City and Tampa Bay yep out of the game. Yeah you messer. Well chalk that up as a just easy win for Tampa Bay. The offensive line is the most important thing on your squad, especially when you already have a defense that's set up like ours.
Speaker 3: That also happened to Carolina Cam Newton same thing in that Super Bowl that they didn't have any tackles that game and definitely that that hurts you. I am still going to look to the defensive line and be it defensive tackle or even defensive end. At some point in time, the Cowboys need to plan for Dumarcus Lawrence from the standpoint of you may need to start limiting his reps since he is getting older. He had an outstanding year last year, but at some point in time he's getting older. Where else do you have and if you're going to be putting Michael Parson in there, who else is there right now? When you talk about defensive ends.
Speaker 5: Sam Williams, darn Armstrong, Chauncey Ghost. I won an elite guy though, Okay, I mean this.
Speaker 3: Is a good play. I want to blue I want a blue Chit to me, I'm looking at my first rounder. I want a blue chip. And that we see what blue chip is when you bring in to Michael Parsons, if you bring in if you're able to bring in the level of what you did with the Zach Martin and when you took a time servent. Obviously those guys were drafted in the first round high Tywn's the top ten guy. And then we saw it was sixteen. I want to say, for Mark but a blue chip guy, Michael Parsons into a blue chip guy. But to me, I still think about this defensive line here. I want to give Dan Quinn as many tools as possible. And yes, maybe Sam Williams does come around here. Driss he had a heck to be definitely better than Randy Gregory. But I'm still just man. I'm like the forty nine ers, Man, throw some more bodies there, throw them at there until I can just wear you down. Because I just look at the forty nine Ers and granted quarterback play did them in man, I love watching their defensive line. And when Jimmy Johnson was winning here, when the Cowboys one of the time Landry, they just had a lot of defensive line I got.
Speaker 5: I want to push on the office on line one more time. Okay, just one more time, Just one more time? As we go? Is Terror still entering the last year of his contract? What about Tyrren Smith? What do we do with him after this year?
Speaker 3: If you end up with Steve Avola of TCU, I would not have an issue with it at all because of the position flex to play center and guard. I don't have I'm gonna argue with you there.
Speaker 2: I just for me.
Speaker 3: And this is also I read Jimmy Johnson's book Swagger, and Jimmy laid out a lot of the way he felt about drafting. Jimmy's like, you can get guys, especially inter your guys. You can get him in the later rounds because they're not thought of as those sexy guys that you want in the first. So yes, you can get some of the better players. I mean, you look at Jason Kelsey. Jason Kelsey was not a first or second round Nate Newton, undrafted free agent Eric Williams, who had a Hall of Fame career going until he got hurt and possibly, in my opinion, still has the resume to being on third round pick, Larry Allen's second round pick. So some of these guys you can get them. I'm not saying it all. Do not address it. I man one percent behind you. You must address it. I just saw talking about it at twenty six and I just feel like I'll gamble that I can get some offensive linemen in round two and three, but trying to get an impact player on my D line, I feel like you got.
Speaker 2: To get that for doing the less year very late.
Speaker 5: The sense of the season, the sense of urgency comes when you look at the depth chart and you see chu Madoga at left guard for the Cowboys. I mean, we know that that's going to change if with still being healthy, he's going to go back to right. They're gonna move Tyron back over the left tackle, Tyler back down to left guard. But still the depth there, you have to worry about that. Last year we played with a forty year old offensive lineman. I don't think anybody wants to revisit that again. So that's where that's to me. That's when I looked at the depth there, that it automatically went to, all right, we've got to get an offensive lineman so that we don't play around with this position just in case, because I don't know, Fan Night last year when I got towards hamstrang off the bone, you know that just led to you know, they just led to so much trouble throughout the season, not having a healthy Tyron Smith and.
Speaker 2: You got a new old line coach. So give give them some guys.
Speaker 3: So this is thank you for now I have my question. I've got my question for Will McLay, Mike McCarthy, give me a status update and a comfortability level of Josh Ball and Matt Will. Let's go. He used the fourth rounder on Ball and use a draft pick on Will. Let's go. Tell me what what about these guys and we'll let's go. Last year was hurt. They had liked what they saw early in camp, but could keep the shoulder straight, so he ended up basically having a red shirt ear last year, Josh Ball got hurt basically his first year. Last year, with his first year, they put him in a game and he was tragic, almost lost the game. So tell me what are you seeing out of those guys? Because we saw what happened with Terrence Steel. They did develop him. So give me a sense of where those two guys are because they put draft capital in him and I so so that that could be an underlying theme, but where they may have some comfortability in these two tackles that maybe we're panicking and there's they could say we see something behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: That you guys don you saw Josh Ball, you already answered that question.
Speaker 3: Don't do that. I appreciate that. Don't do that. Come on, now, I get it. Hey, I'm on a positive hack. Tread and I feel you it could happen, but not now, Kelly for the back.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm gonna cross over into positivity with you. I'm gonna say this, okay because my because my guy, my high school teammate, is now the assistant offensive line coach. Right, so maybe they just needed a change of voice here, right, They got a new offensive line coach, new assistant offensive line coach, they are getting maybe they believe in ball and we'll let's go. And they said, hey man, we just needed some guys who can really get the most out of them, kind of like when you brought in Dan Quinn. He said, we have talent on the defense, on the defense, We just need to get a guy who can come in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So so so maybe maybe that's that's what I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, I go, I go, I go back into when Parcells was here. Parcells had a great line and Chris Bean you remember Parcels said, you know, by year three, we gotta see something. You got to see something. So you know Ball is gonna be entering year three. Well that's has been here year two. Jaylen Tober is getting ready to enter year two. You know, by year three, we gotta see something and basically part's like, we ain't seeing something by year three, then you about to get up out of here. And he said he learned that from Tom Landry. So guess what we saw from Josh Paul And it was brother, it was not good, but you know, we saw some stuff from from terror Steel in his first every time he ain't look good, but they spoke about how he remade himself. And so that's what I'm like, That's why I'm going to ask a question because I like to know. And the one thing I did learn from Jason Garrett and when he interviewed is what Jason didn't say told me a lot about guys. So if I asked about well, let's go and ball and I'm not hearing anything, Hey, lost way you know doing that, then I'm gonna say, all right.
Speaker 5: So I'm more excited about Matt FOURNIOC and only because it's the great unknown. I don't know anything about it. Haven't gott an opportunity to see him getting any significant work because of the I think he had the shoulder of supplication throughout the season, so he had to go through that surgery. But again, left guard is still a worrisome position. We understand that we have some position flex with Josh Ball at tackle, I don't want to see him in the game basically unless when you ask ask that question, they can give you definitively and say, now, this guy has been working his tail off all off season. He's gotten bigger, he's gotten better. I think you're gonna see a new guy, and then it's gonna you have to prove it to me to have me believe that, because based off of what I've seen so far, he's just not giving me any vibes that says that this is a player that we can get behind and believe in his ability.
Speaker 3: Left guard doesn't bother me as much right now as I'm thinking about right.
Speaker 2: Tackle because of the knee injury to Terrence Still.
Speaker 5: Tell you just said the man was at fan Day. So you holding I'm just no, no, no, no, no, You're really you literally are going to be holding your breath every snap, every training camp snap.
Speaker 2: Every preseason snap, and every snap into the season.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be sitting there like like how many eyes are you gonna be?
Speaker 2: Like, man, who's next?
Speaker 5: The whole the whole entire time, Like how as a coach as somebody who's trying to game player and get guys ready.
Speaker 3: I feel as though they're going to have someone they can play. If you're talking back up, okay, yeah, you gotta put Tyler Smith at left tackle. I just feel like they'll have somebody they're ready to go. And when you got beatis your center coming off a Pro Bowl season? You got Smith out there, who had a really good rookieyear. Actually a second, I think whoever they put there will be able to be Okay.
Speaker 2: My eyes right tackle.
Speaker 3: For me, if still not ready to go, I'm working who's there? Who's there? Because they've said they're not putting Smith, Tyler Smith on on on the right side, they go leads a left side player. So for me, just when I think of okay, if there has to be a backup going, I'm more concerned about the right tackle. Back up.
Speaker 2: So you wouldn't say tying back to right, I don't think. I don't think he plays that, will it?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna go out on the limb here and say this, I think Tyron will be healthy this season. What for the majority of the season. I think he'll be healthy. He'll be playing left tackle right tackle. I'm actually not that worried about it. I think the Stills gonna come back from this acl and he's gonna be fine. Of course, backup is you have an issue there, But then you start talking about Josh Ball and and these other let's go.
Speaker 3: So these are I mean, these are these are great, These are great questions. And obviously it's work they've got to go do here. But I look, I'm looking forward to get done on Thursday or Friday. I'm looking for that to get taken care of, and I'm looking for that to be taking care of a lot more in these these tight end projections I keep seeing for the Cowboys here. So this, this, this is the beauty. This is the beauty of what we have going on here. Let's hit a break here and we'll get read to wrap up the show, Danny McCray me, here's some new starts players lined bout you by Tostitos on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 2: You heard it.
Speaker 8: Nobody protects you from Mayhem like all State. You hear that. I'm a torrential downpour. Torrential what's that even mean? It means you can't see out of your windshield and if you have the wrong car insurance, you might have to make it rain to fix your bumper.
Speaker 2: So switch to all State.
Speaker 8: Save money and be better protected from mayhem like me.
Speaker 9: Based on coverage and then it's selected. Sendra to Durm's conditions and availability in most states. Prices very based on how you buying. All State barn Cashty Insurance Company and affiliate stoke Brook, Illinois.
Speaker 4: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 3: Schnapper, the fresh dout who looks white. It's not there. He escaped slapped. He'll look for a first style, just like football.
Speaker 4: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hand. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 8: Rus Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 4: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 4: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Want to use what the pros use?
Speaker 10: How about the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Starter, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The starter includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full size.
Speaker 3: Intense Therapy lip bomb.
Speaker 10: Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word TEAMJB. That's get Jack Black dot com Slash Cowboys The Jack Black Starter ten bucks, free shipping.
Speaker 6: It's Smoothie King's original Angel Food and New Angel Food Slim without added sugar. You no longer have to choose between treating yourself and hitting your goals this summer. You don't have to choose between great taste and feeling great, because that's Smoothie King. Every blend is me with whole fruits and no syrups, so you can satisfy your cravings without compromise. The only choice you will need to make is which one is best for you. Try your classic Angel Food or the New Angel Food SLIMP Blended without added sugar. Smoothie King Rule the.
Speaker 3: Day to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 5: Country music is rocking the Star and Frisco with a free multi day fan festival ahead of the big show, come celebrate country music party of the year at the ACM Country Kickoff May ninth and tenth. The fun starts each day at three pm with live performances from the newest country music stars, pop up shops, exclusive artists, merch, a beer garden, food trucks, and more. Visit Acmcountry Kickoff dot com for more information.
Speaker 3: Here you go, Luke Bryan, Luke Kohmbs all the Lukes.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Luke.
Speaker 3: Oh by the way, shout out to Tony Rommel. He won the celebrity over the invited classic, so they had the celebrity partent di spense with the other PGA guys, So Romo ended up winning that thing.
Speaker 2: Man, so great athlete.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to Tony man getting it done. Backyard kids get to see you play, so I give him credit. Man, my man wearing them sketches, what sketches paying good? I'm like, I have never seen any golf sketches, Tony, because I boiling at what good on you?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: Good? I mean to make money and you don't play anymore? Man, that's pretty dang good right there. Man, You still got endorsement deals and you don't play anymore man so.
Speaker 2: Good a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, good, good on you, Tony, Good on you, Tony Romo. So congratulations to him. Draft Thursday night, first round, Cowboys are twenty six before we go. Do you think they trade out?
Speaker 2: I hope so.
Speaker 3: I don't stay at twenty six. I think this thing, take a play, take a stay right there. When you go back, you're passing on good.
Speaker 5: Players if you unless Vijon Robinson miraculously falls to you at twenty six something like that. You'd have to have a guy that there's no questions about his ability. You don't you know that if we get this guy, he's gonna produce for us everybody else I think there's there's a lot of questions. That's the case, though, you know, no, no, no, absolutely. I said, hey, either you find adolph A toll Ring or.
Speaker 2: You find a diet.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to find a diamond, Okay. And I think that b John Robinson. When I look at this draft, I think, guys, I just believe that he's the only sure thing for me as a draft pick. I think there are more questions around other guys. When I look at the Alabama Alabama linebacker, I think He's a guy that's been making tackles without at a lot of people touching on him. He's running free to the ball. How is that going to impact them when he gets to the league. Those quarterbacks are just a lot of questions around height and everything else. I just I just feel confident about b. Jhon Robbins, the running back out of Alabama, Gibbs.
Speaker 2: Gibbs.
Speaker 5: I like Gibbs five nine, two ten. I like him, Okay, I like it. As a player, you you slip up and get him if he's If B John Robinson falls to twenty six, then you assume that the second round is gonna be Gibbs.
Speaker 3: We just go with these last couple first round picks. Year before you got twenty twenty two. Last year Tyler Smith plus We're good, okay twenty twenty one, Michael Parsons plus, Rookie of the Year twenty twenty, Ceedee Lamb plus Pro Bowler twenty nineteen. No pick because they traded it to Oakland from Marik Cooper twenty eighteen. Layton vanderash plus made the Pro Bowl twenty seventeen, Taco Charlton twenty sixteen, Ezekiel Elliott plus made several Pro Bowls twenty fifteen Byron Jones plus made several Pro Bowls late made one Pro Bowl. Zach Martin twenty fourteen. Do you need a plus Hall of Fame? You know? You know if Travis Frederick twenty thirteen Pro Bowl Play twenty twelve, Mo Clayborn, go Tigers, Chris with Chris Quick. Yeah, I'm good man, the twenty eleven Tyron Smith, twenty ten Des Bryant. They have been crushing it for a decade.
Speaker 5: Did you hear that by the Tyros Smith, Travis Frederick, Zach Martin, Yeah, Dave Bryant, Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 2: CD laugh Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You're really talking one miss here?
Speaker 2: What you got d Law in the second round?
Speaker 5: But that's what that was, Zach Martin in d Law and the one that we didn't have a first round draft pick.
Speaker 2: I think the second pick was Tristan Tristan Hill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Tony Parler went for Tony Parler went forced, so he got Pro Bowl there. So so I say that that, I'll say it twenty six and trust Will McClay to go find me again.
Speaker 5: No I do, man, It's not about not trusting Will McClay I'm just looking at the talent that's in the draft. I don't see any of those players that you just mentioned in this said draft. I mean, if we could do a comparison analysis between the guys that you just mentioned and the guys that are in this draft, knew it, That's all I'm I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I didn't see. I didn't know who Tyler Smith was. He's from here.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: But they knew. And that's what I'm counting on. It's them knowing. All right, let's wrap up. We gotta get let Mickey get in here for Mick shots. Dallas Cowboys Press conference. Top of the hour should on the top of there, but at noon high noon, Mickey Spagnola and Mick Shots. That's top of the hour, but whole lot of content right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio. Thanks Chris, BB, Jazz, Will, everybody who makes happen right here all Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Rady. This has been a place line.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.