Speaker 1: On the Bechdel Cast, the questions ask if movies have.
Speaker 2: Women and them, are all their discussions just boyfriends and husbands, or do they have individualism?
Speaker 1: It's the patriarchy, Zephyn. Best start changing with the Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 3: Jamie, I'm breaking up with you and giving you back the dildo you gave me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't care, or do I? Or do I? I think you do? Well, wait till you see me hanging out with Chekhov's co worker, battle show the hair model. Yes, Chekhov's hair model famously Welcome, Welcome to the Bechdel Cast, perfect intro, no.
Speaker 3: Notes, Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: My name is Jamie Loftus.
Speaker 3: My name is Caitlin Derante. This is the Bechdel Cast, our show where we examine movies through an intersectional feminist lens, using the Bechdel Test as a jump off point. And it's actually the origins of which are particularly relevant to today's movie. Today's movie is Appropriate Behavior twenty fourteen, written and directed by Desiree Acavon. But Jamie tell us what the Bechdel test is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we should do a full definition today because it is very relevant. The Bechel test is a media metric created by queer cartoonist Alison Bechdel, friend of the show Our Best Friend, I Wonder if she remembers us. The test is originally not intended to be a famous media metric. It was written as a one off joke in Alison Bechdel's iconic comics collection dis To Watch Out For in the nineteen eighties. The specific context of the original joke was that two women never spoke to each other in a movie, and the context of it was because Alison Bechdel and her friends wanted to see queer romance between women and non binary people in movies and there wasn't any that's very relevant to what we're talking about today. Eventually, on a longer timeline, it was sort of transformed into a more generic media metric. The version of the test we use requires that two characters of marginalized gender with names speak to each other about something other than a man for more than two meaningful lines of dialogue. And we're not going to have an issue with that today, don't you worry. I think that the backtales actually will not be coming up very much from here on out, but it is interacting with the origin in a kind of fun way, right, because the idea.
Speaker 3: Was that the characters indus to watch out for would if they saw two women speaking to each other in a movie about something other than a man. The characters could sort of like ship those two women together a tigh in their imaginations.
Speaker 1: The time where it's like women spoke to each other, they have to be in love, like if. We also shout out to the co creator because it often called the Bechdel Wallace Test. Liz Wallace co created the test with Alison Bechdel, and we learned on during our interview with Alison Bechdel that they met at a karate claus and didn't keep in touch. So I'm curious if Liz Wallace is even aware of this legacy.
Speaker 3: We should try to reach out to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had to start going to karate classes. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to meet her. Indeed, so we're talking about appropriate behavior and we have a wonderful returning guest with us today. She is a podcast producer, comedian and you remember her from our episode on Blue Crush. Yeah, it's Melody Kmalie.
Speaker 2: What's up, Salem? Aloha?
Speaker 3: D rude.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me back. That's Farsie too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I last time I was here, you had just come off your recording with Alison Bechdel. Yeah, that's right, and you guys were riding high from that. I think she remembers you, and if anything, maybe just for like the Google alerts, the crossover in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she has Google alerts on. She probably hates to see us coming. Well, welcome back.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me really pick the most relevant film possible as a bisexual Iranian American.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited to dive in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell us about your relationship with this.
Speaker 4: This too much of a relationship with this movie I did. I used to host a co host a podcast called Diking Out. We had desiree achumon on the podcast and it was like the peak of Quarantine and it was like just as like a lot of protests were breaking out. It was just like a very tense, weird time with the pandemic. And we asked her because we were fans of her, and she kind of was like, why do you like, I'm not promoting anything right now this Like I'm not in the middle of any project. I'm kind of sitting in my apartment just like everyone else. I'm like, perf, let's get intimate, and we tried to make it comfortable with her, and we all just ended up drinking in our little quarantines together. On the podcast, I am horrified thinking about it. I haven't listened back to it ever. It's out there, but we do bond over just all the parallels we had, because not only are we bisexually running Americans with immigrant parents, but we also, like in her show The Bisexual, I think thought we were lesbian first and then got like hetero curious and explored that. So just so many and more parallels come up in that conversation. It's like a weird version of myself, like a successful version of myself.
Speaker 2: I've been watching from a foreign admiring. I love her work.
Speaker 4: She directs a lot of like awesome film and TV episodes, a lot of Hacks episodes.
Speaker 2: You'll see her name Papa. But I just thinks she's so cool. Yeah, and yeah, that's the relationship.
Speaker 3: Nice. So did you see this movie when it first came out? Oh?
Speaker 4: Sorry, yeah, I remember at the time everyone was talking about this, like Persian Lena Dunham was what I was seeing online.
Speaker 1: Oh Ver twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, like.
Speaker 4: This had just come out like some film festival. It won Best Screenplay Word at some festival. Is very interested in it because there's representation now and it's so easy to connect and I was able to just interview her as a big fan of it. But back then it was like there was so much still like shrouded in mystery, like are there other voices like mine out there? And I was just so excited to find out she existed and bought it on iTunes or something and watched.
Speaker 2: It on my little MacBook. I loved it.
Speaker 4: I loved Lena Dunham at the time, and I think I was just obsessively like searching for stuff on her around Postgirls era.
Speaker 1: And then I think that this movie also got desiree akavan apart on Girls, because I guess, yeah, yeah, she had like a small arc.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was one of the writers that it was like her corporate job or something I remember in Girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to go back and like rewatch a few scenes on YouTube, but I was like, yes, that is her. And I think it's because Lena Dunham saw this movie and was like, oh, we have the same vibe.
Speaker 4: Definitely, Yeah, how do we what do we call that vibe?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It feels very I'm excited to dig into it because it feels very like specifically, this was a I don't know, I feel like the simplest is like difficult protagonist or like women actually not being perfect on screen and acting messy in a way that like, I don't know, if I put my twenty fourteen brain in, people like could not tolerate it, Like it was interesting looking back at like some of the reviews of this movie, and also because it felt so in conversation with girls and Lena Dunnam's new book came out, so everyone is sort of talking about it. It's just like the way that these these characters are very prevalent and also received in a weird way. I don't know, it was interesting to like go back there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kept trying to put myself in the mindset because at the time it was like whoa pioneer alert, Like, yeah, they are unlikable, They're fucking up big time.
Speaker 3: Well, I think part of it is that there were like horny, sexually liberated women and people don't like that, and they like use humor to deflect, and people don't like it when women are funny.
Speaker 1: I was also thinking because it's like, at the end of the day, even though like sharing is a mess, like you do love her, but there I think that people also have like a real issue with watching a character who is a woman act kind of selfishly. I think that people still, like to this day, really struggle with a woman not acting in some like self sacrificing way. And yeah, in a way that I mean, yeah, I don't know. It's like, if we're going into the whole like girls thing, why do people hate characters like Sharien and Hand of Horror Bath but they love Don Draper. That whole sort of line of discussion of like men acting selfishly is iconic and amazing and women acting selfishly like inspires at the time a million like cruel takedowns in essay form, because that was what twenty fourteen was about.
Speaker 4: I just remember self absorbed, self absorbed, like everywhere.
Speaker 2: That term, and it was like or in an agency.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Yeah, that's so funny. I'm rewatching mad Men right now. Oh yeah, that is the perfect comparison.
Speaker 1: I mean, this show absolutely rocks, but you're just like, uh yeah, yeah, we didn't. To this day, some would say we have not gotten the chance to be selfish assholes.
Speaker 3: It's almost like there are double standards for men women.
Speaker 1: Now explore that.
Speaker 3: Wait, we should talk about that on the show. Wait okay, yeah, for the first time. Finally, after all these years, Jamie, what is your relationship slash history with this movie?
Speaker 1: I had not seen this movie, but I do consider myself, I'm just gonna try this. A Desiree aka Van Desiree aka fan.
Speaker 3: Whoa, let's try.
Speaker 1: To create a community name. But I mean, I think she's so cool. Yeah, I've been wanting to see this for a long time. I saw her I think second movie, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, which is about Chloe Grace Morett's getting sent to a gay conversion camp that I thought was really good. And I'd seen her show The Bisexual, But for some reason, I just hadn't seen this and her I don't know. I admire her a lot. I want to, first of all, Melody, I want to find that podcast episode. I want to hear more interviews with her, because it's so cool that she has been able to create such a cool career for herself, and I just think it's really cool and this movie in particular, I was pleasantly surprised by so much about it and also that it was like kind of challenging me to turn on this character, and I was like, I will not. I will not turn on my good friend read even if she well, we'll talk about when she gets up to But I just loved this queer woman being messy. It's great, It's perfect. So yeah, it was. It was a really fun first watch. Yeah, Caitlyn, what about you?
Speaker 3: I had not seen this movie before, nor did I know about it. I didn't know about it until Melody. You and I were talking about potential movies for you to come on and cover, and you sent me I don't remember if you sent me a trailer for this or if you just mentioned it. But then I watched the trailer and I was like, oh my gosh, this seems like so much fun. I would love to I was like, even if we don't cover this movie, I'll just watch it anyway because it seems like such a fun movie.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem like people given like how I don't know, people should be talking about this movie more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, I think it's not very well known, and I.
Speaker 4: Was surprised that you weren't aware of it when I emailed you the title, like I assumed you were.
Speaker 2: And then more people I talk about it too haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the goodness. If you're a listener and have not yet seen the movie, it is very easy to stream. It is streaming for free in many places, so if you haven't it, get your shit together.
Speaker 3: It's accessible. So yeah, watched it for the first time to prep for this. I really enjoyed it. I also love that it's only an hour and twenty one minutes long. Please more movies like this. But yeah, I thought it was fun. I'm excited to talk about it. Yeah, soll we take a quick break and then we'll get into the recap. Let's do it, okay. Here is the story of Appropriate Behavior. We meet Sharene, played by Desiree Akovan, who is also the writer and director of the film. We meet her as she's packing up some of her things after a breakup from her now ex girlfriend Maxine played by Rebecca Henderson, including a strap on that Scharene had gifted her when they were still together, but Maxine makes Scharene take it back that makes it seem like it's gonna be a huge plot point. It's not.
Speaker 1: It's just sort of Dilda for the sake of dildo. Yeah yeah, yah, yeah yeah yeah, And that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: There is a scene later on where Scharene finally because right after this she throws it away, but then immediately takes it back out of the trash, and then later on she throws it away for good, perhaps signaling that she's she's moving on from the breakup. But I'm getting ahead of myself. So then Scharene meets up with her friend Crystal to start trying to process the breakup because Scharene really wants to get back together with Maxine, though there is mention of their sex life sputtering out pretty quickly, like soon after they got together. And then we flash back to Charene and Maxine trying to do some sexy role playing, but Maxine isn't really into it. She says she's too vanilla. We'll get a bunch of flashbacks about their relationship over the course of this movie. Yes, back to the present, Sharene visits her family. We meet her mom and dad and urologist brother Ali played.
Speaker 1: Mister Hattie himself.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Oh my god, played by Arian Moyed, who I recognize from Succession is the main thing I know him from.
Speaker 2: Yes, love him.
Speaker 1: Oh he's such a little bitch in Succession. I guess he is also such a little bitch in this movie. Yeah, he's really good at that, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We also meet his girlfriend Ley, and Scharene and her brother Ali have a pretty contentious relationship. They're always making jabs at each other and judging each other for their life choices, and Scharene's also judging Lei Lee. Yeah, she makes a few jabs at their jobs. They're both doctors, but she's just like, you're losers, and then Allie retorts by saying that Sharene is wasting her master's degree in journalism.
Speaker 1: I loved this sibling specific of like masking disdain for your sibling with concern and being like, I'm really worried about her. She's such a fucking loser and it's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The subtext is she's making me look bad by being related to.
Speaker 1: Me, and also at the same time, like it feels like they're both kind of asking, like tacitly asking their parents to be like.
Speaker 3: Please say I'm your favorite.
Speaker 1: I'm the good kid, right, I'm the.
Speaker 4: Kid's very Persian, very sibling universal dynamic. But it's something so Persian about the masked concern and being like, I am the one that you trust, I am the golden child. But crazy of her to do it when she's working against a doctor as a as an artist a type, because that is a very real dynamic in Persian families. I am the artist loser and constantly being compared to siblings, cousins, et cetera, who went the doctor lawyer Persian route.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, because Charene she was a journalist slash writer, and then she's pivoting. She wants to pivot careers, and we're about to get to what she kind of pivots to because she interviews for a job with this guy named Ken.
Speaker 1: Pete Horne Jump scare Yeah, yes it's played by Scott as did It of thirty Rock fame, for a job that is teaching an after school filmmaking class to teens or what Scharene thinks will be teens.
Speaker 3: He offers her the job, so that's her new job. Now. Meanwhile, Charene is scheming ways to bump into Maxine including trying to work the same shift as Maxine at the local food co op.
Speaker 1: She tries, she tries to sleep her way to the top of the co op, which is a very funny scene.
Speaker 3: I kind of wish that scene went on a little longer because you don't really get the reaction of the co op lady. But she's like Sharene's like unbuttoning her blouse being like, just let me work the shifts I want.
Speaker 4: I was assuming it was the Park Slope food co Op. There's an episode of Broad City where Abby and Alana are switching roles because like Abby can't work her shift at that co op and like she had they train each other in each other's mannerisms and like switch rolls for the day so she can work the ship for her I don't know, anyway, is the way they portray that same character in Broad City. It was like a very similar portrayal of this like no nonsense, like kind of butch like what do you want from me manager of the Park Slope co Op? And I'm like, what is going on there? I want to a nice trope.
Speaker 1: I do like something seemingly innocuous being run like the Navy that will usually work for me as a trope.
Speaker 3: Okay, So then Scharene's parents and brother help her move into a new apartment in Brooklyn, and it's starting to become clear that perhaps they do not know about Sharen's relationship with Maxine, or perhaps even that Charene likes women.
Speaker 1: And I was kind of taken off guard that her brother also didn't seem to know, because every I mean, it's like everyone, it's like, where's your boyfriend, where's your boyfriend? Where's your boyfriend. It's like, oh, her brother also doesn't know, so they're not close.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem like it.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 3: We cut to Scharene at her new teaching job, and again she thought she would be teaching teenagers, but it turns out to be like five year olds and they're all boys, and they're all very unruly and chaotic, and she's in way over her head and she's trying to teach them filmmaking and like frame rates and stuff like that, and they're just like causing havoc. They're just like poop, poop, yeah, poop. Then we flash back to Sharin and Maxine meeting for the first time at a New Year's Eve party. They bond over both being haters and just hating a lot of things, and then they start making out within minutes of meeting. Sometime later, Sharene invites Maxine to a Persian New Year party, and it is confirmed here that Sharen's family does not know that she's bisexual. She mentions that gay people are stoned to death in Iran, where her entire family comes from, so she is reluctant to come out to her family.
Speaker 1: I'm backtrack really quick too. I think that the scene where Scharene first meets Maxine, their meet cute is so well written because you can tell you're like, oh, I can see why this is appealing, and this relationship is so clearly doomed from a moment, right. I've never seen that dynamic written quite so like real in a way that you're like, oh, these two are bad for each other. They're like, wow, your toxic and negative too. You're like, no, God's no, it's.
Speaker 3: Never gonna work out.
Speaker 2: That was well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But they get together nonetheless, and Maxine goes with Scharene to this Persian New Your's party and meets her family, but Maxine has to pretend to just be Scharene's platonic friend and not her girlfriend. Back in the present, Scharene is on okay Cupid looking for a post breakup distraction slash rebound. She meets a man, and this man cracked me up because he's like, I'm a stand up comedian slash folk musician. He's like, comedy shouldn't be mean, it should be nice. She's like ray, which I agree with, but he was so goofy I agree with.
Speaker 4: Like now, but in twenty fourteen, it was like stand up was having a boom, Like it was just like, yeah, comedy, I don't know. It's like there was a jadedness that he was like speaking to that I didn't think was there at the time in the comedy scene.
Speaker 3: Well, I was wondering. I was like, when was the height of like roast shows because I wonder if it was like round then they were.
Speaker 2: Encroaching on that time mid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because it's like also twenty fourteen would have been like peek Louis c k oh, jeez as woll true not to sorry to invoke Yeah, normally safe space, but that was who because I was also like, yeah, where was comedy at You're like, it's kind of a weird weird place. Yeah, you sure was. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Anyway, so she goes on this date with this guy. They hook up, but it's nothing special, especially compared to the flashback where Charene and Maxine are being super intimate, they're getting stoned together.
Speaker 1: They're being transphobic together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll talk about we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: That was the thing that kept taking me out of it where because it keeps happening it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, several times. It's also in this scene when they're stone together, the Maxine tells a story that's ablest.
Speaker 2: So it's not perfect, but yeah, scene is not perfect, No.
Speaker 1: And it's it's tricky because it's one of those things where it's like you have to again, like you have to try to put yourself in your brain ten years ago, which is a weird amount of time to regress to and be like, is this meant to be making a point about how this character is unlikable or is this just how people felt comfortable talking at the time. And I think it's the last one.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, from today's brain, it's like, well, Maxine needs to go on a gender journey, like Vaccine has some things to.
Speaker 1: Explore internalized issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yes, yeah, And then they also talk about how Maxine hates sex and the city, and then they talk about Lord of the Rings. So speaking to the Bechdel Test, they're talking about lots of stuff they're living. And then after all of this they share that they are falling in love with each other. We cut to Charene showing up at a meeting for a queer advocacy group that Maxine is at because Scharene's like again trying to bump into Maxine and she is not pleased to see Charene. So Scharene tries to make Maxine jealous by asking the leader of the group, this woman named Sasha, out for a drink.
Speaker 1: This scene, I'm excited to talk about it is there's so much going on in this scene.
Speaker 3: Oh the man in the background.
Speaker 1: There's a very serious issue being discussed, this rape, which is like but like that's that's a real thing, And like, I just thought that scene was so fascinating because she's just being he's being an absolute menace. Meanwhile, there's like a very i would imagine at the time and still underdiscussed issue around how queer people are demonized by the law, and you're just like there's so much happening here, right, It was wild, wild, and I feel like his story is there to play as a joke within the scene. I don't know, or at least that's how I kind of felt about it.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, i'd be curious. I don't know. I think I ended up kind of giving this scene the benefit of the doubt, and it's just like an incredibly it felt messy in a way that was intentional to me, but I guess, if pressed, I couldn't tell you exactly what the intent was, So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I thought it was to like bring out just how much of a menace and like selfish person she was being.
Speaker 3: To because she's like blowing past yes man, telling this story really traumatic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was This was the scene where I was like, oh that, Like I did appreciate how hard in some sequences, desra Acaman seems to want to challenge you to turn on Charene because this scene, I think is as close as I got to being like fucking egg grow up girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah yes, Because so she asks Sasha out for a drink. Sasha agrees because she's put on the spot, but their little date is quite awkward, and Sasha politely declines when Scharene invites her back to Sharene's place. Meanwhile, Scharene is strong ruggling at work trying to teach these rambunctious five year old boys how to make a movie, and she meets her colleague, this woman named Tibet, who is teaching the advanced filmmaking class. All the students there are girls, and they are way better behaved and more artistically inclined than all of Sharene's students. We flash back to Charene's parents visiting her and Maxine at their shared one bedroom apartment and her dad, Sharine's dad, is like, why is there only one bed if the two of you live here? And Sharen is like, it's European and trendy and also it saves us a lot of money and their parents maybe believe it. I'm not sure, but Maxine is not happy about this. Charene not being out to her parents and them not knowing about her relationship with Maxine is really weighing on Maxine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Back in the present, Sharene meets a couple at a bar who are looking for a third and so Sharene goes home with them. And they start having a threesome, but Sharene gets in her head and the mood kind of dies, and Sharene leaves well.
Speaker 1: And also the guy this motherfucker. Yeah, I hated him. The guy has an aura of menace and sinister, yes, very sinister. One of the many interesting little episodic moments, because these characters do not return, and you're just like, wonder, hope she's okay. Hope she's okay with her menacing husband wherever she is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, yeah, I hope she's able to. I forget their names. Marie I think is her name, Yeah, the woman in that couple. Yeah, hopefully Marie escapes. Yeah. But then we flash back to Charene and Maxine going to a party. I think it's like a Pride party.
Speaker 1: Wearing some of the most twenty twelve twenty thirteen yes fits. Anyways, I was like PTSD by the long tanks. You're like, oh my god, no, I won't go back.
Speaker 3: So at this party, there's like one straight guy who lost a bet to his sister or something like that, and there's another bout of anti transness here. But Maxine meets this guy and she's drunk and they start making out and Sharene walks in and sees them, so she gets very upset and Maxine begs for forgiveness, but it's it's all very messy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, using I think a very diabolical tactic, which is the phrase you have to forgive me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, now no, you don't have to forgive anyone. No. Yeah. Cut back to the present, Charene and her friend Crystal go shopping for underwear. Because Charene barely has any sense, Maxine cut up most of hers, and then we flash back to the scene where Charene and Maxine break up, followed by Maxine cutting up all of Charene's underwear. Then we it seems like we kind of flash forward in time because now Charene is dating a man named John Francis. Maxine is dating a new person as well, and it seems like they've kind of agreed to meet up with each other and meet each other's partners and try to be friends. So they meet up at a dance club. It turns out that Maxine's new girlfriend is Tibet, Sharene's teacher colleague who we've met before Nor and Charene and Maxine start arguing and insulting each other and each other's partners, and then Charene storms off, but then she and Maxine have a tender moment in the bathroom. Then there is a screening of the short films that Charene in Tibet's students have made. Charene is humiliated by the film that her students have made because it's all about farts.
Speaker 1: I thought, I thought it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: And it was the non advanced class.
Speaker 4: They screened the advance to the girls and then it's like, oh, come on, yeah, beginner, I loved it.
Speaker 1: It's so cute.
Speaker 3: Anyways, and then Charene I don't know if she's worried about getting fired or what, but her boss Ken is like, no, farts are funny, and Scharene is like, yeah, farts are funny.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of the moral of the movie. Just kidding. It's kind of a random thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thematic undercurrent. Also, I was thinking, I was like, how is Charene able to afford New York City rent when her job is a part time after school film teacher.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, movie Magic Baby, the Rich Parents.
Speaker 4: There is a line where I forget what she says to her mom about needing to move into a new apartment and not saying why it was lesbian breakup, but she was like, we could have helped you. I think, yeah, yeah, yeah, my god, I assumed it was a bankrolled Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Life probably yes, Okay. So then we cut to a party with Sharene's family. I think it's maybe another Persian New Year's party, yes, and Charene comes out as by to her brother. His reaction, we'll talk about it, because he handles a very poorly and then discourages her from coming out to their parents. But she's like, no, I have to start being honest about who I am.
Speaker 1: He's like, could you delay until after my wedding? I'm like this, motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So later that night, Sharene comes out to her mom and tells her that she was in love with Maxine and in a relationship with her, but her mom completely dismisses it. She's in full denial and she just says, no, you are not gay, and then she like gets up and leaves. Despite this, it seems like Scharene's spirits are higher than usual. She tells her friend Crystal that she plans to talk to her mom about it again soon. Then she sees Maxine on the subway platform and they wave at each other and we get the impression that no matter what happens, Charene is gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: The end, it was very girl who is going to be okay? Shot at the end it was do you know that meme?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I don't.
Speaker 1: Oh it is, I'll send it to you. But it's making fun of sort of these ending shots of girl in Brooklyn who's looking around nodding, being like, you know what, Everything's gonna be okay for me, Like, because that is iconically how a million movies end. I love it.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's similar vibes to the trope of a teen girl going underwater in a swimming pool and having a like coming of age moment where she's just like, Wow, everything's different.
Speaker 1: Now. This is the twenty something meter version of that girl who is going to be okay. Wait, I'm gonna center to you.
Speaker 3: But let's take a quick break and then we'll come back to discuss. And we're back Melody. Is there any place you would like to start Guest's choice?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously a lot going on with a run right now and Persian identity, especially in the diaspora, and I've been thinking about it a lot, rewatching a lot of different movies, reading books, and I do really appreciate the use of the Persian New Year and like no Ruse and then that jumping over the fire that we see in the beginning when she's struggling and then at the end when she's feeling empowered to come out to her family.
Speaker 2: There's so much.
Speaker 4: Going on there in those scenes. For it's called Chaharshambasuri, she explains in the movie, it's the Wednesday before No Ruz where there's like a little fire festival. You jump over fire to like cleanse yourself of what is no longer serving you in the past year and jump towards what will like enrich you, strengthen you.
Speaker 2: Embolden you, empower you in the upcoming year.
Speaker 4: And they didn't do it in the movie, but when you jump over the fires, you say something that translates to like my yellowness to you, your redness to me, and the yellow and red is like from the fire. Yellowness represents like sickness and what's not serving like the bad and redness is the strength to go after the all the newness and betterness in the new year.
Speaker 3: So you're releasing the yellowness and embracing the redness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so love that that was included.
Speaker 4: That's a very important like tenant of Persian culture. No rus specific that it's like a fourteen day holiday, And there was just so much going on in those scenes with the Persians.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like a movie about coming out to me.
Speaker 4: It was about like, it's not like I'm going to tell my Persian parents, it's my whole Persian family knows, and everyone's avoiding it and pretending it's not there, which is in Persian culture just such a thing. There's a lot of just not addressing certain topics out of like politeness or like she says in the movie, Persians communicate through gossip. Like things aren't like addressed head on ever and are just danced around. So I just like felt a lot of that coming out of those scenes. And yeah, it was like a movie about like code switching.
Speaker 2: Essentially to me. So you really see a lot.
Speaker 4: Of that in those scenes, specifically when she's there with Maxine, going from her like Brooklyn like western vibe to her cousins and that insecurity you feel because it's so much comparison in Persian families, Like it's a lot of competition at least with those are I didn't really grow up in that like that there's a more affluent Persian dynamic that I think Desiree was raised in a different tax bracket, but it's.
Speaker 2: Still there to varying degrees.
Speaker 4: So I'd love the cultural ritual brought in, like all the themes she was struggling with, like throughout the movie in the greater like Brooklyn bubble and just like yeah, never being never fitting in but being like am I do they not want me? Or do they not want like do they need a different version of me?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean obviously so relatable. It's hard to be like impartial about it. Yep, yep, yep, perfectly nailed it, yep. Yeah, obviously I'm like, yeah, I love the Persian parts because right now I'm just like desperate for any positive Persian representation right now.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Yeah, it does not exist very much in Western film. Yeah, it was. It was great.
Speaker 1: I was curious, I because I thought that the ending, Like, I mean, there are a lot of things about this movie that I was like, just like I didn't see coming because you know, you get used to the beats of a coming of age movie and this movie subverts a lot of those And at the end, I liked the kind of nuance presented by the end of the movie where it's so devastating to watch, you know, Sharene come out to her mom and have her mom just unable, like unwilling, well unwilling to receive that information, and I was like, how is she going to process this? And that seed at the end where she's like, I'm gonna try again in another month or so, or like presenting this as something that is like inherently unfair to her, but something that I know plenty of people who have had to go through that of like, this is going to be a process because I want a relationship with my family, and like that kind of exact shade of gray I don't think I'd ever seen in a movie before and not having it presented as like a failure but just like, you know, something unfair to Scharene because she has to deal with all of the internalized and externalized homophobia that her family and the world has. But also she's she loves her family and she wants them in her life and she wants to keep trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, because we get the sense that Maxine perhaps even one of the reasons they break up is because Sharene has not yet come out to her family, And then we learn that Maxine seems like when she came out to her family, she was completely ostracized, and so you would think maybe that Maxine would be a little bit more understanding then of like not wanting to come out to your family for fear of being disowned.
Speaker 1: But I also felt like with Maxine, and this is like again just gets it a lot of how like realistically messy and frustrating these characters can be. It almost felt like Maxine was doing the old school thing of like, well, I suffered, so you have to suffer, Yeah, in the way that like, I don't know, I feel like generationally that happens a lot of like, well, I was in crippling debt, so therefore I want you to be in crippling debt. And you're like, well, that wouldn't you want better for someone that you love? But I do feel like Maxine has a lot of you know, like stuff that she has yet to work through, and I think like had a hard time dealing with Charene, I mean understandably having a difficult time with having to pretend she Sharine's roommate. I know how painful that was event, especially where she's like, I'm too old for this shit is sort of the vibe I was getting. But yeah, that like she wasn't able to show Scharene the like empathy she deserved because she was still so wounded from what it happened to her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also, I mean again that was perhaps part of why they broke up, but also part of why they broke up is just that they weren't very compatible. Not all, Oh, there's no fixing.
Speaker 2: That, Jamie.
Speaker 4: You said there was a scene that you're like, oh, I can't wait to get into that, and I was trying to remember, oh what it was.
Speaker 1: That was the scene where Charene is stalking Maxine at the queer women meetup group. Oh yes, yeah, So I mean, if we want to go to that scene, that scene, I feel like, really boils down a lot of what makes us movies so specific is that Charene is being an absolute menace to society in this. So she's, first of all, you know, it's it's stalking when women do it too, she is stalking Maxine and being a weird creep. Maxine is upset, is like, get the hell out of here. And then Charen ends up, you know, trying to whatever dominate the situation by asking out the leader of the group to humiliate Maxine, which ends up humiliating Scharen on a longer timeline, which is very this movie. But in the background of that scene, there is a character, a gay man, talking about how and it's very specific the way he's talking about it too, that he has been labeled by law as a sex offender for decades because of a relationship that he had with a boy who was two years younger than him when he was I think it was like eighteen sixteen was the dynamic presented, and that the result of that is that he's been labeled as a sex offender for his entire adult life, which is genuinely something that happened and happens and specifically targets queer communities in order to make it. I mean, think of all of the ways in which your life is affected if you have to identify as a sex offender. It's harder to get a job, it's harder to get how housing is hard like it's it makes life impossible in all of these ways that if you are a sex offender, you know that there that's a very complicated discussion, but clearly like this character was targeted for being queer by the law and it has like ruined his life, and for some reason he wants to talk about it in a women's group, which is like, oh yeah, also because that's part of why he's like there, because he's talking about something he's very upset with, and I think, what's happening in the background. I watched this scene like four times because I was like, what's happening? I think that the woman leading the group is like totally valid this is a women's group, and he's like, well wait a second, Like it seems like he just really wants to be.
Speaker 2: Heard, but he's pleading.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's such a like really intense scene to be happening in the background of like kind of rom com hijinks in the foreground. It's rild.
Speaker 3: That's why I was like, what is the intention here? I could not get a handle on it. I thought it was just a like not gender specific, just a like a more general queer advocacy group, but that there's a different woman there who's like, I thought we were going to be talking about women's issues, so I also didn't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I misunderstood I guess my interpre I thought that that line indicated that it was a women's group and that they're like, your issue is valid, but that's like not really what we're here to talk about. I don't know. I just thought that scene was like fascinating. I don't really understand why it's there, but I think it was really interesting that it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when it starts, I'm like, oh, is this going to be about like identity performance?
Speaker 1: And right?
Speaker 4: I assumed, Like I remember, like my first time seeing it, I think I went into it being like, oh, this is going to be about how she's not queer enough for the gay group and not like or too queer for her family and like those differences. But watching it around this time, I no longer know.
Speaker 2: I don't but I love it.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to make of it. Okay, and sorry to invoke another horrible thing, but there's this kind of a similar scene in the forty year Old Virgin Okay, where.
Speaker 1: I love that you apologize for bringing up the forty year old.
Speaker 3: It is it's it's traumatic. There's a scene where Steve Carrell's character takes Catherine Keener's daughter to a group for I think like teens and their parents who want to talk about like sex and birth control, and it's something like that, and the folk is the two of them, Steve Carell and the daughter, but then there's like other people in the background. And maybe I'm just kind of conditioned to think that the other people in a scene like this in a comedy movie, whatever they're saying is is gonna be comedy or it's gonna be played as a joke because the other characters in that scene are talking about whatever, whatever's happening. I don't remember the specifics, but it's like it's all it's pretty much played as a joke. So that's why I was like, well, is this scene inappropriate behavior also intended to be a joke because the juxtaposition between the two things that are happening, like the disparity and the tone.
Speaker 1: Is so severe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just like, what is going on? Yeah, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like and it kind of like it feels very kind of in conversation with girls in that way to me where like I feel like it's just it is like such a weird dissonance. I don't know why it's there. It's kind of interesting that it is. I don't know. I guess like I didn't view that, and I maybe I'm I don't know why I feel this way. I didn't view that seemed to be antagonistic towards the man pleading, but I just felt like tonally it was weird. There were other moments where the movie did feel antagonistic in a way that cross lines for me, which mainly, as we have already alluded to, is the like casual transphobia that comes up a weird amount of times that I'm you know, I want to believe if you know, if she was making this movie now, would not be there.
Speaker 2: But I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was an Obama era, like this girl doesn't care about being politically correct. Yeah, I like that kind of vibe.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to figure out what to compare it to.
Speaker 4: I keep going to the ironic racism in thirty Rock, but I don't I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I think that that's a good comp And then I'm also thinking, like if this is like the Louis C. K peak era, like it kind of feels in step with that of like I'm not afraid to say it, like when it's like, well maybe you should be a fruit hate speech.
Speaker 3: Wrong. Yeah, I mean I feel like this was also a time in history, and thankfully it's not quite like this anymore, but where even within the queer community, CIS queer people, they just had antagonism toward trans people ka And so I don't know if it's if we're seeing kind of traces of that here, but yeah, yeah, I don't even know if we want to go into the specifics of what happens, because I clocked three different instances of anti trans sentiments.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't even really want to repeat it because it's like, it's not plot rele anything that's said. It's just like casual turfiness, usually from Maxine, which made melody that made me, Yeah, I was like, what is this hyperfixation, Maxine? What's going on? I don't know, but yeah, Maxine confirmed turf right.
Speaker 3: But also perhaps closeted non binary person question Mark. We we don't know we should ask her.
Speaker 4: Except yeah, wa DMA, we didn't touch on this when we talked to her.
Speaker 2: You're drunk.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like we're getting the things that are maybe not so great about the movie out of the way first, because there's a lot I do really like about this movie. I think there's a lot it's doing well and the interesting ways that it handles different things. I mean, I love a movie about a woman. It's not necessarily that she's exploring her queer sexuality or in the sense that she's not. She's like, am I queer? Like I have to figure this out? She's already figured it out for the most part, it seems, so now it's more about like figuring out what specifically she's into, because it seems like there's like kink things that she likes that she's trying to explore. You know, she has this threesome for the first time, she has sex with that stand up comedian slash folk artist, where she's like, that is.
Speaker 5: Kay, oh yeah, okay, that is okay okay, but humiliation no, but she tells him to be rough with her, so yeah.
Speaker 3: And then she's also grappling with how when if do I come out to my parents? And as we were talking about already a little bit, she describes it as a process and she's she says to like vaccine. She's just like, it's a process and I'm working on it. And Maxine doesn't like the timeline that Sharene is on and it culminates in the end of their relationship. But yeah, I just I like the different ways in which she's It also seems like she's trying to figure out because at least in the context of this and like the scope of this story, she seems to be gravitating more toward women than men, where like that threesome, for example, she's really into the woman and the guy. She's like, get away from the scenes where she's like trying to lightly kiss him, and you can just tell that she like she's like, oh, yeah, does this guy have to be here?
Speaker 1: And her flamer. His vibes are rancid.
Speaker 2: They really are scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, I just I love to see a sexually liberated, horny woman having a bunch of sex.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially one from the Islamic Republic of e Run. I thought that was interesting, just her like hammering home the environment her parents are from. But then at the same time, I was curious because, like a lot of at least my parents are pretty progressive that's why they left Iran. And a lot of Iranians are Muslim for sure, but like reject Islamic law and this like kind of theocratic fascism.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I found that interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just felt like with her family and with the queer community with it was just like here I am, I'm too much and not enough at the same time, like I don't like, I'm trying to find where I am on this like spectrum of being in both communities.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and also like with regards to like by representation, which is like such a huge theme in Desira Akovan's work. Watched The Bisexual. Yes, it's so good. I think it was. It was only bb see for some reason. I don't know she gets into that, I.
Speaker 2: Will say on the episode, but behind this is on that interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, well we gotta listen. Yeah, we'll let you know I've been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll let you know how your podcast episode.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, wouldn't that be amazing if someone would just listen to your podcast for you, so you never need to hear your own voice.
Speaker 2: That's my dream, the worst.
Speaker 1: But but just like I think nails down in a way that is still unusual now so certainly would have been unusual in twenty fourteen. Like I love that Sharene. She is not confident in all ways, but she is she knows what her sexuality is. Anne is continuing to explore it at the beginning of the movie, where I feel like there's so many by narratives that I mean, either the worst of them are like gely coded right, They're like she doesn't know what she wants, and what she wants is bun afflex cock, like like a world that like cannot conceive of a confident by sexual or like I'm trying to think of an example here, but or like the whole movie is about navigating realizing you're by, and I just feel like it's rare to have someone who knows that they're by and is like a mess in all these other very human ways at the beginning of the movie and remains that way throughout, and that there's so many shades of pushback on her identity, specifically as by inside and outside of the queer community, where like her brother, even though it's like a brief exchange, clearly does not understand or like kind of rejects the label that she's presenting like he doesn't understand what being bias. He's like, okay, so are you gay or not? Sort of seemed like the energy he said.
Speaker 3: She says I'm bisexual, and he's like, so that's a thing.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: Is this like he didn't even know or he thought he heard about it and thought it was fake because that was also that's a widespread sentiment for a very long time that people who were by.
Speaker 1: Still act that way. Yeah, yeah, yeah, well, and that it also comes from Maxine. I thought was interesting and telling too, where like when they're breaking up and you know, to some extent, I'm sure that Maxine is just saying it would say anything to hurt her in this moment, but says, oh, it was probably just a phase anyways, which is like one of the one of the classics.
Speaker 3: One of the classics. Her brother also calls her sexually confused. Yeah, like it's just it runs the gambit of is a gambit or gamut?
Speaker 1: I never think gamit.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Okay, we don't know. But anyway, he's saying a lot of shit that we've all heard yeah before, But I love that that doesn't discourage her from moving forward with attempting to come out to her parents or her mom at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, none of it like makes her waiver in her identity, but it is like a source of constant frustration, which felt a very like real and I don't know, just in the way that you don't see a lot of marginalized people with marginalized identities just be like people. I appreciated that about Sharen in this where it's like, yes, she well, I mean she is. I guess she is kind of an iconic, messy bisexual, therefore playing into the troph for rev. But I didn't care. I didn't care. I'll say it me either. Another thing I wanted to talk about was Sharen's relationship with her body, and like Desiree akavon writing and performing nudity in the movie, I appreciate that that's happening on her terms as the writer, director, and actor in these scenes. I appreciate the representation of a slightly different body type than we typically see when we see a naked woman during a sex scene in a movie, because they usually look like victorious secret models. Obviously, Desiree Acovan is incredibly attractive, but you know she has small boobs. Her character is self conscious of them. There's that scene in the lingerie shop where she's like, I always thought I didn't really deserve to wear a bra because my boobs are smalls, like. So that was another thing where I was like, this scene is so weird and tonally dissonant, where I'm like, what is going on in this scene?
Speaker 2: I I was like, oh, so this is about capitalism.
Speaker 4: You just have up on her right manipulating her into buying a bra.
Speaker 1: I was like, I didn't feel it. I was like, because as a as a fellow small titty har that doesn't wear bras, I'm like, they're lying to you, chreamed, don't fall for you, don't need.
Speaker 3: A bra, do whatever you want. It does seem like it's the sales lady doing whatever she needs to do to make the sale. Yeah, yeah, Charene buying into it? Maybe because she's feeling especially vulnerable or something. And then her friend Crystal is in the background being like what the hell is going on? Like, Sharene, why are you falling for this?
Speaker 1: Sometimes you just need a beautiful woman to be nice to you when you're going through it, and you'll end up drop I've certainly dropped more money than I'm comfortable admitting for someone who was nice to me when I was having Yeah.
Speaker 3: It does the trick, it works. But yeah, all of this just felt very real and relatable as far as like existing with a female body in a world that's constantly trying to make you feel bad about your body, and her having to figure out how to feel sexy in her body and how to you know, own her sexiness and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I liked her owning her sexuality. There's a transition I love in the movie where she is hooking up with the soft like the folk stand up and she goes to like scratch his back and he grabbed her hand. He is not into like the roughness she's been trying to get going, and it just transitions straight to like a clasped hand over her heads and it's like Maxine on top.
Speaker 3: And great match cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good. But that certainty she had in her sexual I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was trying to figure out. I was like, does this mean like this relationship was very toxic? Did it help her like explore and own her sexuality? Like were we trying to see? Like I don't know if that was trying to be displayed at all.
Speaker 3: Her relationship with Maxine or her hook up with that guy.
Speaker 4: It felt like her relationship with Maxine, for as toxic as it was, did give her like this owning.
Speaker 2: I don't know she always had owned her sexuality.
Speaker 4: I don't know there was something there I could never I'm still trying to process and figure out. But and it was literally that cut that made me obsess over it.
Speaker 1: But interesting, Yeah, I guess it's like I wasn't really because Maxine, like she both has like really nice memories of sex with Maxine. It seems like the sex.
Speaker 2: Was really good.
Speaker 1: But then Maxine is also sort of like Vanilla pride, vanilla representation matters, So it's like there's still I don't know. Yeah, I guess I kept where I landed on. It was just like it's like a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B, because I feel like if this movie was more prescriptive too, like Maxine turfy as she is, you know, is being stalked by her ex girlfriend and I think is like pretty pretty could have been less chill about it. Yeah, So it's like there's just so much I don't know's It seems like these two are like willing to show each other grace and maybe that's it.
Speaker 4: Like I don't know enjoyed the sex scene though, good sexye good sex scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean obviously those two scenes are juxtaposed right next to each other, the hook up with the folk stand up and the way more intimate, hotter sex scene between Sharene and Maxine. My interpretation of it was that, and this is kind of obvious, but Sharene hooking up with this guy she barely knows. I think she met him earlier that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was Brooklyn Boy eighty two, which I wrote down for some reason.
Speaker 3: I was just like, oh okay, I kind of miss okay Cupid. I know it's still around, but haven't been left.
Speaker 1: Who's there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure, but she was doing this to fill a void. She longs for the intimacy she had with Maxine, who she loved, because like you see that scene after she had sex with that guy and they're lying in bed, She's like on her back, like wide awake, and then the man is just like passed out, kind of sprawled on top of her, and you can just kind of imagine what she's thinking, which is like get off me and please leave my apartment. That's what I would be thinking if it were me. Maybe I'm just projecting, but.
Speaker 1: No, that's definitely the vibe. Yeah, where she's like, please get out of here so I can fantasize about my ex right right.
Speaker 2: Right, first deepened the void.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to your point, Melody, I feel like, yeah, that she did. Probably she was able to kind of like open up sexually with Maxine, although you know, we don't know a lot of her history pre Maxine.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like sex with intimacy and it's like, yeah's talking. Yeah, it's that he solved it for me.
Speaker 2: I'm just not smart. That was that.
Speaker 1: That was a three person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, took all three got there.
Speaker 1: But even that is like so nuanced too, right, where it's like you found like sex with intimacy, but it's still not quite what you need. It's like that kind of I feel like I've had relationships like that where it's like, Okay, that relationship was ultimately not good, but there was one element of it that I experienced that I'd never had before and I want that moving forward or like that kind of deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, And it was sexual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's I mean sometimes like not great people learn a new way to make you come and you're like, well, we have to sit with this.
Speaker 3: People contain multitudes.
Speaker 1: Turns out, evil people are often really good at sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not always, but more often than you'd want.
Speaker 2: Or bad communicators.
Speaker 4: Verbal communicators tend to be good at sex communicate physically annoying.
Speaker 3: Well, what else does anyone have anything else they want to talk about?
Speaker 2: Love? The song at the end one of my favorites. There's a Persian song.
Speaker 4: Oh during the credits after she's gonna be okay moment I think she throws out is that she's gonna be okay moment before her throwing the dildo out.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought it was after.
Speaker 1: I think it's the last shot, right, Maybe I'm misremembering.
Speaker 3: The last shot is her on the train being like I'm gonna be okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah regardless.
Speaker 4: There's a song at the end that is a popular Persian song this artist. It's called Golayach, which translates to like ice flower, like a frozen flower. It's got a lot of like poetic imagery. She chose the perfect song. It's just about like this, like melancholy nostalgia, and feeling like emotionally distant from something. And it's I highly recommend people I don't know listen to it and put the lyrics through a translator.
Speaker 2: It's like being stuck between worlds and it is.
Speaker 4: It's borne out of this like diasporic nostalgia. But it really it works really well. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it works well. After all of this like emotionally guarded struggles between her two worlds, it does a good job of closing it out. Really good song. It's like a psych rock artist from the seventies.
Speaker 3: That kind of reminded me of this scene where she's talking with the scott As Dick character when they first meet and he's like, oh, Charene, where is that from? And he's like listing off different countries in.
Speaker 2: Seria, Argentasia.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, and then he also refers to like when she says she's Irani and he's like, so, how do you feel about I think? He's like all that, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: That's so real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, I just read this article about this hip hop the hip hop scene in Tehran. He's like, do you know about that? Are you into that, or like are you part of that scene? And she's like when I go to Iran, I'm just untangling jewelry, or like I'm watching Disney videos while my grandma untangles jewelry.
Speaker 4: I really loved the scott At scene with the yeah, wow, Iran, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: Because that is so real.
Speaker 4: In Iran post nineteen seventy nine revolution is so shrouded in mystery, like by design, like it is a heavily censored country. You have to out of the International Foreign Press Index, it's like rates, it's third to last out of all of the countries. The truth has to be smuggled out and there are real life and death repercussions just for like I have a cousin right now who every time he updates me on what's going on on the streets to Tehran and we know it's like a huge risk and we're like talking in code essentially on WhatsApp. There's checkpoints everywhere, they'll grab your phone and go through your deleted messages and photos. It is so just with what's happening now, especially like watching that scene back, like I it's very frustrating time to be an Irunnian and just like witnessing a lot of wrong just narratives and propaganda going around from the left and the right in the West.
Speaker 2: But that was like a good reminder that it was like what do you expect, Like that's what it is.
Speaker 4: It's such a mysterious place and there's so much like people get shocked.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there's a rap scene they do wrap there.
Speaker 4: Like it's like, yeah, there are Western out like globalizations happened and reached them. Internet has you know, opened up little like peak holes into Iranian.
Speaker 2: Culture, and I don't know, I really appreciated that. I'm coming through a lot, and I really appreciated that.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, as of today, there's been an internet blackout for how many days now, Well it went.
Speaker 4: Up to the nineties, and every time there's conflict in that country, the government shuts down the internet so they can get away with the most horrific crimes against humanity. There was a massacre in early January January eighth and ninth, specifically, there were protests that just turned deadly. It went from pellet guns to like imported militias, proxy militias coming in to shoot and kill their own people or anyone dissent, and the internet went out for that and came back, but then once we went to war that night, they gave a warning. My cousin even told me it's like at midnight they said they're cutting it, and we thought it would just be another like week or a couple week period like they normally do. But yeah, it lasted months and.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 4: It's back now, but like you still have to purchase a VPN to get on a messaging app, and there's an economic disagn like I I don't care find me Islamic Republic. I've been like sending crypto over so that it can be like to bypass sanctions just to send money so that they can convert it and buy VPNs, just to let us know that they're okay and safe from bombings.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's still really bad.
Speaker 4: They're trying to introduce sort of like a North Korean model of internet right now, and I guess they were kind of far along on that process, but because of the war, like certain information centers or intelligence centers were bombed, but they're trying to make it North Korea levels of censorship, and hopefully that doesn't happen because it is such a beautiful culture.
Speaker 2: And the Iranian people, I don't know, they're the.
Speaker 4: Best, sweetest, most artistic, kind hospitable people in the world.
Speaker 2: And it's just crazy. People don't know that. And you get that from conversations like they got wrapped there.
Speaker 4: It's just like, yeah, people and they just want to live a normal life and listen to music, which is illegal. You can't listen to music in the street there. Women are not allowed to sit in public. It's like, yeah, they just.
Speaker 2: Want basic human rights.
Speaker 4: And I appreciate her for kind of like poking fun of that from a diaspora point of view, Like these conversations we have were just the most basic things about humanity.
Speaker 2: It's like, you, guys, they do that.
Speaker 1: They got that there, So that.
Speaker 2: Was well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is there anything else anyways? Is there anything else anyone wants to chat about?
Speaker 2: Just hope we get more from her me too.
Speaker 1: I was like that was something that I noted that. It's like she's still very much working. But every time, like we've talked about this so a lot this year. Almost every time we talk about women director and especially a woman of color, like getting that sustained career as a director is so elusive. We talked about that with Julie Dash when we did Daughters of the Dust earlier this year. Doesiret Acabun has directed one other movie, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, which we should cover at some point. It's really good, so good, And she also she wrote and directed that in twenty eighteen, and then she has I mean, she's been working consistently in TV, but I just would I just I would be completely shocked if there isn't a script that, like a project that has been in development for far too long, you know, because it's like, yeah, TV directing is great financially and it could be like really enriching. But it's like she is an oh tour director, Like that is we should be seeing more from her. We also just talked about it with oh my gosh, Kayla, what is the movie we covered two seconds ago?
Speaker 3: Slums of Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: Slums of Beverly Hills. Yes, like show where that director has spoken extensively on like how impossible, like it took it. It's like a decade between projects because who can say, who can say? But if you look at really like I feel like a lot a lot of women have really promising debuts, and then they are sort of relegated to less prominent areas that you just know would not be happening to a man in their position.
Speaker 4: So right, there's development in hell and that standard. But then for women it's like double that. It feels like, or women of color, it's.
Speaker 3: Like the seventh circle of Hell. Development Hell.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, it's just all gaslighting and ridiculousness. But she's so amazing and in a world with even the tiniest bit of justice in it, we will be seeing a lot more from her.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I saw an interview with her. It was like a screening of this film followed by a Q and A with her that they did I think is like ten year anniversary, So it was a couple of years ago that this happened. She was not able to be there in person, so it was like a Q and A with her over zoom. But she talks about how she has two feature scripts that she's been working on developing, trying to get into production, so hopefully any any second now, we'll get one or both of them.
Speaker 4: That's the decade, the mandatory decade waiting period for a woman of color, So that's a time it's just.
Speaker 1: So it's so diabolical. I'm okay, I'm just gonna hold my tongue. I'm gonna hold my tongue now, or we'll be here all day.
Speaker 3: Well, the movie does pass the Bechdel test, as we eluded earlier, between many different characters, between Scharene and Maxine of course, Scharene and Crystal, Scharene and her mother, Scharene and Tibet Rena, Tibet Green, and the BRA sales person lots. I don't know if we know her name.
Speaker 1: But there's really not a lot of men of importance in this plot. I would say her brother is maybe the most narratively impactful. Man, this is true, and he's not in it very much.
Speaker 2: And her boss just being like stone parts.
Speaker 1: So oh also that his defining characteristics. He's like, I never know where my son is. You're like, all right, man. That's his last line where he's like, where's my son?
Speaker 2: Have you seen him? Oh? Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So it passes the Pecto test. But what about our nipple scale, where we rate the movie on a scale of zero to five nipples based on examining it through an intersectional feminist lens. I think I'll go four with this one. I am going to take off a full nipple for the anti trans sentiments and jokes that occur throughout the movie. But again, I would hazardou guess that had this movie come out ten years later or more recent projects of desires, that she would avoid that. So it does feel of the time. But even so, I'm gonna take a nipple off for that. But yeah, four nipples and I'm gonna give them all to Desiree and again, hope we see more of her work soon.
Speaker 1: A constantly I'm gonna go yeah, I'm like, I guess, I'm like between three point seven and five and four. This is this movie is like so distinct, Like it this movie I feel like only could have been made by this person in this year. Like it is both so specific to who Desiree Achabon is and it's so twenty fourteen in ways that are both really cool and transphobic. The transphobia I really had a hard time with, I think, just especially because it just kept kept on coming back. But I do, I do totally agree that like this is like not something that would appear today. That is the twenty fourteen sque thing about this movie. Besides some of the clothes. But but I really, I mean, I really loved this movie. This is like the fact that this is her debut is kind of nuts, and that she gives a really good performance in it. I just she's wearing so many hats. Everything about it works for me, except for the things that we've discussed. I'm going to go for. I'm gonna go for and I'm going to give them all to our good friend Desiree.
Speaker 3: Nice melody, how about you? How about you?
Speaker 4: I was thinking for Neon twenty fourteen style mesh covered nipples.
Speaker 1: Some of the outfits were trigged.
Speaker 2: I honestly had physical reactions.
Speaker 1: It's like my butt cheeks were so clenched during the the shirts were so Why were our shirts so love? What was going on?
Speaker 4: It's because like our pants were so tight that our junk was on display or like something, or the pants were so low.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was an evil time. Melody, Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, guys, it's so much fun.
Speaker 3: Where can people follow you on social media? Plug anything you want to plug?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm on a therapist mandated break from Instagram because I've been crushing out in comments sections defending my people in the homeland. But I'm at Melody Kamali on all social media, and I'll be back in a sane way. But you know, really limiting that right now because of the propaganda. Yeah, really heavy right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm around Hit me up.
Speaker 3: And you can follow us on Instagram at Bechdel Cast, where we are not very active because I also can't stand social media, but where you can really follow us and support us is our Patreon aka Matreon, where you get two bonus episodes every single month, plus access to the back catalog of over two hundred bonus episodes, all for five dollars a month. What a damn good special. What a deal? What a deal?
Speaker 1: And with that?
Speaker 3: Should we I was gonna say, throw away the dil does I want to be over?
Speaker 1: Let's say three let's meet three girls and days who are going to be okay. I'm like, I'm looking around, I'm sipping my coffee, I'm nodding.
Speaker 3: We're on the train going to be okay.
Speaker 2: That's literally my train really view. Yeah, next time I'm on it. Yeah, later today I'll be.
Speaker 3: I'll be a okay, you'll be okay, going to be okay, beautiful. I love that for you. Okay bye by Like.
Speaker 1: The Bechdel Cast is a production of iHeartMedia, hosted and produced by Me, Jamie Loftus and.
Speaker 3: Me Caitlyn Dorante. The podcast is also produced by Sophie Lichtermann.
Speaker 6: And edited by Caitlyn Durrante. Ever heard of Them? That's me and our logo and merch and all of our artwork, in fact are designed by Jamie Loftis, Ever heard of her?
Speaker 1: Oh My God? And our theme song, by the way, was composed by Mike.
Speaker 3: Kaplan with vocals by Katherine Voskrasinski.
Speaker 1: Iconic and a special thanks to the one and only Aristotle Acevedo.
Speaker 3: For more information about the podcast, please visit linktree slash Bechdel Cast