Speaker 1: Welcome in Tough Bears Weekly powered by IGS Energy, a Chicago Bears network production.
Speaker 2: Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare.
Speaker 3: Athletic, Goo Physical, currently CD Jullaghy, Connie's Pizza, IGS Energy, and Mener Liked.
Speaker 2: Here are your.
Speaker 3: Hosts, Jeff Chiliac aka the Mayor of Bearsville and is sidekick Tom the Surfmaster Thayer.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: A week after holding a sixteen year.
Speaker 6: Veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford and the NI Rams down, the Bears will need to do the same against say, fourteen year veteran a quarterback and their former teammate Andy Dalton and the Carolina Panthers. Everybody, It's the Voice of the Bears Jeff Jonahek with Tom Thayer loaded with interviews tonight on Bears Weekly. Coming up, We've got Bears quarterback Caleb Williams and our sit down for Sunday morning at ten thirty and our TV partner Fox thirty two Chicago and Bears Game Day Live plus The Versatile Offensive Live and Matt Pryor joins Tom and I. And then we visit with seven time Pro Bowl linebacker that Alt Luke Keikley a member of the Panthers radio broadcast crew. Our weekly divert to the Bears coordinators today at the podium, and we've got Kevin z Pak in our ESPN studios thanks to Dan Brilliant, Jordan tread Up from the Bears, and our executive producer the Bears Radio Network is Eric Ostrosi.
Speaker 7: Good evening, Tom Thayer, Big Jeff. You know, it's kind of an interesting battle this week. You know, you do have Andy Dalton has got a lot of experience at the quarterback position, along with a lot of.
Speaker 5: Success last week.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of injuries on the Los Angeles Rams offense that the Bears defense were able to take advantage of in kind.
Speaker 5: Of overpower at the most important times.
Speaker 7: Now you're going to face a team that's got a lot of injuries on the defensive side of the ball. So the offense has to take another major step forward in their improvements like they showed last week to get the Rams. They need to show equal improvement against the Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 6: Yep, and they've been improving every week. Caleb Williams his numbers improving every week. The Bear's injury report something new every week, so Tevin Jenkins, of course, after eleven leaving the game last week, limited today with those sore ribs, so he did not practice on Wednesday. Back on the field today a new edition time, Davon Dexter with a sore hip, DeAndre Carter's still nursing some ribs, Monteste Sweat ankle all limited, Andterrell Smith, Zach Picking still not practicing overall thoughts, you know, you.
Speaker 7: Know, that's part of the makeup now of the NFL. If there is anything that presents itself as any type of injury or set back, they're going to keep you out of practice and let you be as fresh as you possibly can on Sunday. So conversely, you look at the Carolina Panthers injury report and it's I don't know, I didn't count the amount of people on there, but it's significantly more than the Bears. But then again, the Bears development of their depth throughout this entire ota in preseason. Every one of these guys that will get a chance to get a couple extra reps, they should be chopping at the bit for their opportunity.
Speaker 6: Let's tag end to the coordinators to start with Shane Waldren on his view of the Bears off that came to life with some balance in the passing game. The short passing game of Caleb Williams was on the money, and then the running game also cranked up. DeAndre Swift had himself a day.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the combination of playing efficient in the run game that our guys were really started to feel the run game staying in phase, running backs, O line, so we're getting positive plays in those. And then also the element of shot call doesn't always mean shot taken. If you know defense makes a good call on a play. Cale did a really nice job of, you know, taking a checkdown to Swift and then all of a sudden it goes now from a first and tent to another first and ten on a checkdown. We know, you know, explosives will happen within the context of the game, but playing efficient football, you know, that's what's going to lead us to playing good, complimentary football, and that was that drive was a really primary example of that. I think for him, Cale's done a nice job of seeing what the defense presents and taking what the play gives them right. You know, the week earlier had a chance to get rolling down the sideline explosive play action, another one on the deep cross because it was the look that was was theretion allowed it. And so I think moving forward, it's about not pressing to find big plays, not pressing to find explosives, letting them occur within the context of what the defense is showing each individual snap. You know, I think defenses do a nice job, you know, mixing and matching coverage contours in front structures, you know, more than ever in the league. And so that balance of getting the ball out when it is a deep to short defensive structure and maybe we had a shot called, you know, just like referencing that drive, it keeps us on pace and then when those shots are there, you know, just keep doing a good job of being on you know, being in rhythm starts with protection, starts with everything that goes into that, not just the quarterback, you know, receivers, running backs, tight ends, all connected into those plays and being efficient which will lead to shots down the field.
Speaker 3: What do you think Calobs made their greatest stride the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: I think going back to that point this this past week, you know, there was multiple chances here, especially on some of the second and longer situations where you know, took a nice completion of roam on a shallow cross where Rome's able to take a five yard complete and turn it into a ten yard game right there, Another one to swift, another one to keenan. So we had different chances there where, along with a couple of checkdowns on some play actions where he did a really good job of staying clean against uh, you know, whatever defensive front structure was oc current on those plays, getting the ball out of his hand and letting those guys go to work right there. And so then it'll be the you know, the next step is you know that balance of that versus you know, when's the time to go down the field with some of the throws, And.
Speaker 5: Certainly we're looking for that.
Speaker 6: But I like what Caleb said on Monday, and we talked about Tuesday, Tuesday, No, Wednesday, wednes Wednesday, Wednesday.
Speaker 5: I gotta get my days right.
Speaker 6: But you and I talked about on our podcast on Tuesday about the idea of just you know, if things are cooking, let's get to the line of scrimmage and gooshit and go let's just keep ryan, whether it's the run of the pass, keep it, keep the rhythm and that's what Caleb wants.
Speaker 5: You know, Caleb wantson.
Speaker 7: But I think when you look at DeAndre Swift, up until last week, he was averaging two point six yards per touch. Last week he had seven point two yards per touch. And now that makes a point of an ephesis for the defensive coordinator of have awareness of what DeAndre Swift is able to do, and then it kind of opens opportunities for every other member of the Bears team that can touch the football. So if you do have what kalb is seeing correctly and then you have a player that has some explosive plays, I think you can create more explosive opportunities and then be willing to take that check down that he's talking about. That was an important checkdown that DeAndre Swith is able to get out of bounds, stop the clock and get a first down.
Speaker 6: What they have to do is absolutely eliminate the negative place. And you know, whether it be a first down penalty, a first down sack, a negative run, anything, any type of negative play that's going to star a drive out. You just this is a culmination, obviously of a lot of hard work, and you don't want to ruin your work that you put in the course of the week with just a negative place.
Speaker 8: You know, negative plays will happen.
Speaker 7: I just don't want things like false start or for lineup penalties, because they had one last week where they called the penalty and Darnell Wright for being the end man on the line of scrimmage, and that's not Darnell, right, that's a receiver's obligation to be lined up correctly. And then they have a couple of false starts. One thing you do as an offensive player is you become you repeat the snapcount coming out of the huddle, and you repeat it to yourself as many times as you need it, so then you don't become susceptible to jumping, especially when you're at home. And one of the things that kind of has my radar up this week is Carolina adjusts their fronts at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 8: So be.
Speaker 7: Camp exactly, and if you get caught up in listening to their calls instead of just paying attention to the caleb, then you become susceptible to those kind of jumps. And then you've had a couple of changes on the interior of the offensive line, and they're the closest point to that command center.
Speaker 6: The good news is the Bears have offensively twelve first downs by penalties by the opposition. That's tied for first in the NFL with two other teams. All right, let's slitch it over now to Eric Washington, the Bears defensive coordinator. Always comes out strong. Tom at the podium. He's like a CEO. The state of the team, State of the Carolina Panthers from the big Man, and it also includes running back to Ba Hubbard, the player the Bears got a tackle on Sunday.
Speaker 9: The star of this offense, in my opinion, is the offensive line and the running back that the production, especially with the outside zone concepts, those things are fantastic. They do a great job of blocking movement concepts up front protecting the quarterback. This is an experienced single caller, Andy Dalton. He's played in a lot of big games, been in a lot of situations that will lend itself toward him being able to be efficient as far as directing this offense. And obviously we had a chance to compete against the head coach, which is a signal caller as a play caller.
Speaker 8: Excuse me.
Speaker 9: Last year when we played Tampa Bay be a great challenge for us.
Speaker 8: We're looking forward to it.
Speaker 9: We've had a couple of really good days of preparation going into this afternoon, and we're looking forward to the challenge. The interior part of the defensive line has the most direct path to the quarterback, so we have to we have to be force full, demonstrative and efficient in terms of setting the table for our edge rushers and pushing the pocket back into the face of the quarterback. If we can get that pocket pushed back, get the quarterback disrupted a little bit, that we have a chance to really activate our entire rush. He's a downhill player, tremendous contact balance, and so you see this young man breaking tackles, you see a lot of yards after contact. So it puts a lot of it puts a lot of it puts the onus on us to be very good with our tackling, our gap control. The other thing about this young man is that he will find the void in the run defense. And it could be as a cutback runner, it could be at the point of attack. If there's a void, he's going to find it. He's getting downhill right now, and as a as a result, they're big plays and he.
Speaker 6: Does get a lot of yards after contact. Cuba Hubbard is the individual we're talking about here. In that final statement by Eric Washington, there's a word that's popping up. Flush is talking about do you understand coverage contours or contours of coverage? Heard it from Shane Walden this week, heard it from Eric Washington, just now heard it from Flus this week as well.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 7: Is the contour coverage, the shape of coverage, whether you're going Manda Man and how that travels downfield or else you're in, you know, whatever number you want to put to the coverage, and how that contours towards.
Speaker 5: The back of the field.
Speaker 7: And I think that has a lot to do with it, just talking about the concept of what the coverage is and do they show it enough for a quarterback to see it. And if you've got a guy like Andy Dalton, he can sniff out any contour of coverage. If you got a guy like Caleb or Bryce Young, there's some of them there seeing it for the first time in an NFL level. And so you know, coverage, however much pressure you believe, you can put it on the passer. That's how they're gonna design their their coverage abilities.
Speaker 5: All right. Coming up next Caleb Williams.
Speaker 6: Our interview with him as we get ready to meet the Carolina Panthers at Sojier Field with Tom Fahre. I'm Jeff Joniac here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network. Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears, Jeff Jack.
Speaker 6: Talk to you by IGS Energy with Tom Fair. Jeff Joniac, So, Tom, I know every now and again we're on the road, especially if you see a fifty seven jersey and if it's not Allen Cruise, you're hoping it's Tom Fair or Jack Samborn. Right, Yeah, But you know, I think it's cool when you see your own uniform being worn by somebody else. But I know there are kids out there that are wearing those Caleb Williams jerseys.
Speaker 5: And I know of one.
Speaker 6: The kid just won't take it off, goes, wakes up with it, you know, go sleep it agead so, And that's an entree into our interview that I sat down for our Bears player profile. You'll see it on Fox thirty two Chicago on Bears Game Day Live at ten thirty Sunday morning. Be sure you join Luke can Ellis, Tom and myself. Here's that entrade to that very question about that jersey and Caleb Williams.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's it's pretty cool for me. You know, I've been marking my whole life to be in this position, you know, and loving and things like that, and to have people and kids and things like that. You know, getting my stuff by my jerseys or whatever case may be, and wearing them and you know, feeling proud and happy to be wearing them. You know, I kind of kind of makes you feel feel good inside.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you're not that fire removed from being a kid.
Speaker 7: No, I'm not.
Speaker 10: I'm only twenty two.
Speaker 6: Think about this. This whole thing kind of started at four. But you know, you went to your dad at Tennessee, I want to be a quarterback.
Speaker 2: That's twelve years ago.
Speaker 5: That's not that bad, not long at all.
Speaker 10: It feels like it was yesterday that I lost that game and decided I want to be a quarterback. Feels like yesterday that those five am workouts in the morning before school and things like that. So yeah, it's pretty crazy to say it's been twelve years of being in a position and working and getting after.
Speaker 6: It as a twenty two year old quarterback. Forget about what you put in. It's like, Okay, you're a rookie in the NFL and these days now they're throwing in the deep end of the pool and expect you to swim. Just to feel that way sometimes in the beginning.
Speaker 10: In the beginning, I would say, it felt like that I was just out there trying to make sure that I, you know, was showing the guys that you know, I'm here to work, I'm here to learn, I'm here to be a great teammate.
Speaker 9: I'm here to win games.
Speaker 10: And that was about it. But having to learn all the plays and all the motions and plays and protections and still learning right now in the process. But you know, it's uh, it's been. It felt like that in the beginning for sure.
Speaker 6: To the component in the real world, a twenty two year old short of a startup business and a brilliant individual is not going to be the CEO.
Speaker 5: Of a company out of the gate.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 5: But you're the CEO. How do you wear that?
Speaker 6: It seems so comfortable for you to do that in all aspects.
Speaker 8: Of your life.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I would say, I would say that comes from probably first my parents, and then understanding the goals and dreams that I've set out for myself, and also understanding the example that I feel that I need to set, not only from you know, myself, but you know, the people around me, and not just talking about my teammates, but friends and families and you know, kids that look up to me, or kids that that I may have trained with when I was younger and you know they were training with me and things like that. So I think the example that I feel I need a set, and also understanding my dreams and aspirations. And then, like I said, my parents.
Speaker 6: You clearly are a conversationalist. You like conversation. You've done so many interviews in your life already.
Speaker 5: Do you enjoy this? Do you enjoy this kind of thing?
Speaker 10: Yeah? It's uh. You get to you get to build new relationships with you know, the people that you're going to see for a while. You know after after games. I haven't learned everybody's name yet, but after games and stuff like that, you know it's gonna be the same people after games and for post games stuff like that. So you know, being able to build those relationships. I've learned at a young age from my dad in the business in line that he was in the relationships or everything, and so uh, you know, just you know, building new relationships it helps helps a lot.
Speaker 6: With that being said, I know you know, we know all about to look at Rogers and Brady and Matthew Stafford and Kobe and MJ. Have you set out business leaders people who run companies over the course of time you read books about business outside of sport.
Speaker 10: I have. I've reached out to different people. I've had meetings with different people, you know, throughout throughout my time. I don't think any of names that people would recognize like a Kobe, but.
Speaker 8: Definitely have.
Speaker 10: It's a part of your life in a way because you you start your note and you understand that you know, regardless of how good you are, regardless of how long you play, that you know those relationships and things like that that you build can help propel you for when football is over. And so understanding that and making sure that you know those relationships are set for me. Those those bonds and relationships and you know, business ideas and things like that can can come to fruition. Fruition and so you know, I think, uh, I think, I think I've done pretty well with building relationships with all different types of people and companies and things like that. So definitely have.
Speaker 6: So I got a kick out a call in your first NFL touchdown pass, and I got a kick out of the fact that it was Roman dudes day.
Speaker 8: They caught it.
Speaker 6: So you two guys are linked for perpetuity. But just seeing the youthful exuberance, it just reminded me, Okay, playing in the park.
Speaker 5: As a kid and you're just excited having fun with it. Reflect on that moment.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So it's it was it felt really good to be honest, Roman I And it's funny. I was kind of hoping it would be Rome to be our first touchdown. We had a celebration and everything that we did that was that was planned out, and then I was kind of hoping it wasn't so I could get the first touchdown ball. But I told him, you know, if it's us, which I of course wanted to be, you know, he can he can have that ball. But it felt I mean, it was it was like the expression I let out was like a finally it happened. So now it's uh, you know, now it's time to go. Now, it's time to let it fly and get things going.
Speaker 6: All right, So a lot more on Sunday, but that's just a snippet of where he's at. And he impresses me every time he does an interview, takes takes his opportunity to explain how he feels and how he's leading this football team, and the best is yet to come. Protecting the football obviously, last week was huge, Tom. They've been in four to one score games, so it's been right there each and every one, and in order to win one score games, it's gonna take some some clutch play by the quarterback eventually. And there was a stat and I don't have it updated, but last last year it was a stat about one score games because the Bears had been in several that they didn't finish, or the year before that they didn't finish, and it was like sixty nine percent of the excuse me, twenty of twenty one teams that had won one score games, seventy percent of the time went to the playoffs. So you win one score games in the Seague, you're going to playoffs. But anyway, I digress, Well, you.
Speaker 7: Know what I'm sixty three years old, and I would wear a Caleb Williams jersey. I've never worn another jersey before in my life other than my own. But I admire him so much. Every time I listened to him speak at a podium or at a conference, he you know, increases my admiration for his maturity.
Speaker 8: And you know, when you.
Speaker 7: Talk about guys like Kobe and Michael Jordan and these guys that have had shoes in their own logo, he's on that trajectory and he's the type of guy that you don't know where he's going to be in ten years, but I hope he's able to achieve all the success he envisions for himself from this point moving forward, because then that means their success for the Bears, and it's fun for everybody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I appreciate his investigative nature also meeting with people. And I know, you know, we both know Tim Grover, who's who's spoken to the met him out for a bunch of a breakfast just.
Speaker 5: Just to get hey, what what about this guy?
Speaker 6: Mj What what made him such a such a leader and such a clutch performer. So you do appreciate that about about some of these guys that go beyond just their own coaches and their own circle to just continue to learn what it's going to take to be great and to be different.
Speaker 7: Gosha, You'd be naive not to take advantage of your opportunities in life when you have a chance to meet popular, successful people outside the sport you play, because all they can do is educate you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, let's take a break.
Speaker 6: Let's take a break right there, though, we got to hit a break anyway.
Speaker 5: That's Tom there, I'm Jeff Joni. Coming up next.
Speaker 6: Our conversation with Matt pryor the Bear offensive linement, mister versatility, I guess we can call him here on a SPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 9: This is DESPN Chicago, w NVP WTBC HD two Chicago, a Good Karma Brands Radio Stations.
Speaker 3: Bears weekly with the Voice of the Bears for twenty four years. Chef Shone che on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 6: Thousands of Bears Radio Network getting ready for Cary Alant of Panthers and our special guest this week is Big Matt Prior. I say big because I'm in my little booth up and have us all Tom knows it. Tom's on zoom, but talk about filling up a doorway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean all all six to seven of you, right, all six to seven of you.
Speaker 6: I don't know what you're weighing these days, but I'm five seven and a half on a good day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'd have fun with me blocking me.
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah? Hell a nice little game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So tell me how it's going here. I hear great things about you. I just finished up talking with coach Flues. I go, I haven't met Matt Priory. Are you gonna love him? He's a He's a wonderful young man, so obviously you have connections with him.
Speaker 5: Ian Cunningham from Philadelphia.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Does it feel a little bit like home now?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, hundred percent. I knew off the rip when I got here, you know, came down for a visit, and then, uh, you know obviously the sign you know, it's been nothing of love. So you know it's Gray City, great organization and a great team. You know. I feel like I've been a couple of only a part of a couple of teams where it's kind of that college feel. Everybody's kind of close knit, everybody hangs out. It's not like just you know, you hang out with your own position group, so you know it's a great feeling, uh, I say, the Niners and then Philly obviously us where I felt the most you know type of bond. Obviously with the Line and d Lin and and Indy was like that too, But I think here and uh probably the last year with the nine was probably a lot.
Speaker 5: You know, winning helps.
Speaker 7: Hey, Matt, you know you you've gone from the Southwest to the West coast, to the East coast to the Midwest, always going to be a West coast guy or you kind of have you transformed into any of those areas and do you like them better?
Speaker 8: I'm actually in the South man, uh So home home is Texas. I went to Tacu for those who don't know, you know obviously what I love the West Coast, but you know, those prices ain't ain't helping out there. But yeah, relocated to the South. Love love being out in Texas, love having you know, the open land and everything. Uh. Getting a couple of acres, so you know, I can't can't complain about that. Obviously you got the heat. But I'm kind of up north by Oklahoma, so when them storms rode by we gotta you know, brace for that, so.
Speaker 7: You know we have some football things in common. So I came in and I was a backup waiting for my opportunity. I was a backup center and I was a backup guard, and all of a sudden, the guard got hurt. I went in for the next eight years. And so your approach as a player, you know, when you're waiting in the wings or you're starting, Uh, you know that you're starting on that day, do you have the same mental approach or is it different for you? Because I was super impatient when I knew I wasn't starting, but then I kind of had some relief and a little bit of anxiety when I was starting.
Speaker 8: You know, obviously everybody's goal is to play when they get to the league, and you know, your opportunity to do that is real, either a city a short or slim, just because you don't know with longevity and I they're the league's fulled with, you know, really good players, so you never know when that opportunity is going to show up. But you know, being out there, being able to start again, it's a great feeling, you know, just being on the field and and you know, using my talents to help, you know, win win games for the team in the city. But yeah, I do think I feel like there's more anxiety not play for me, mainly because I'm I, you know, play across the whole line, uh and not knowing who's going to get hurt is kind of so when I'm just at one position, I kind of feel a little more relaxed opposed to Oh okay, now I gotta wait for it's a left tackle going down as a left hard you know. Uh so uh yeah, I mean there there's there's game stress just because you know, it's a it's a it's a tough game. Uh. You know, you can't you can't no matter who your opponent is, you can't expect anything less than their best. Uh and you know any anything can happen. Uh, you know, it's You're never gonna have a perfect game. So uh, there's always that stress factor, an anxiety of you know, knowing, okay, what what rep is going to be? The rep where you kind of mess up on or whatnot. So it's really that mental aspect of being able to to move past that. But you know, as the game goes on, you kind of just go into autopilot.
Speaker 6: Well you've been that with your whole career because the TCU also, yeah, they're moving all over the place.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, initially I came in at the tackle. Yeah, and then my second year, we're short on guard, we're short on guards, and uh, my online coach comes up to me said, hey, we're going to need you to play guards. So I was like whatever, So that's kind of how that happened. And then towards my senior year when coaching changed, uh, they allowed me to go back out the tackle. So when I got drafted, I kind of had a feeling like, Okay, I'm just gonna play wherever I'm needed. You stout Stout would have a.
Speaker 5: Snap Jeff Staalin, Yeah in Philly. Yeah, oh boy, So were you good?
Speaker 8: Any?
Speaker 5: Good at it?
Speaker 8: I'm left handed, so a lot of quarterbacks don't like that. Man.
Speaker 7: So back in my ear, whether you're right handed or left handed, no matter what if you played the right hand or left, right side or left side, you were in the stance that you were most comfortable in. Yeah, so you could play left guard and be in a right handed stance. And so I didn't know you were left handed, but I saw you switch and you converted to a left handed stance immediately right side.
Speaker 5: Left guard tackle.
Speaker 7: Do you have a preference or are you so uniquely talented wherever you need to play it's your best opportunity at that time.
Speaker 8: I played right majority of my career, so obviously there's a comfort aspect into that. But with cross training and whatnot throughout my career, I've kind of gotten a little more comfortable with being able to switch sides. I've never thought about going in a right handed stint so on the left side.
Speaker 7: I.
Speaker 8: Don't know how that would work. Going on a pass that against a three tag, that might be a little complicated.
Speaker 6: Matt Pryor our guest here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network getting ready the Carolina Panthers. I noticed from the combine because people always tell me that, you know, longer armed guys have a hard time at the weight bench. You know during that but you put up twenty three reps. That's it pretty significant? Are you are you good in the weight room or you know is that length of arms? That's how long are those arms? Do you know what they are listed at? Let's see thirty five and a half half? I have thirty five and a half and eleven and a half hands.
Speaker 5: Big time. He's a maaller, is what you are.
Speaker 8: I felt like that twenty three could have been more. I kind of got caught up and counted in my head and kind of threw off my pace, so I kind of messed my focus up. I think it would have been around twenty nine if I locked in a little more. But yeah, weight room. I try to say consistently. You know, it's kind of hard with the long days intend season, but it's important to try to stay consistent.
Speaker 5: We a hooper, No, never a hoop.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you this.
Speaker 6: Holy smokes, Matt Prior again. Let me remind you. I'm five to seven and a half and I just wished I had just three more inches.
Speaker 5: Maybe I could have played right.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you this. Okay, I want to try out eighth grade. Went to try out, did all the drills and whatnot, and we started to run the suicides and that's where they lost me. So we never ran about two or three suicides. I asked the coach, he can I get some water? And I walked home.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's funny.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a different kind of cardio. Yeah, yeah, but nah, No, I played a little rugby in high school just to keep up with conditioning and the off season. But outside of that.
Speaker 7: So Matt Hall of Fame game, hard Knocks and the European trip. Is this the first time for all of those or have you had experiences with any of those.
Speaker 8: All in one season? Yeah, but when I was in Indy with flutes, we did hard knocks for the season. I believe I travel to London my rookie year in Philly and we played Jaguar, So yeah, it's not my first trip out there, but it is the first time going a little early. We normally travel on a Thursday post a Monday, so it would be nice to you know, get out there a little early and you know, let the body adjust to the time difference and you know traveling. How was uh?
Speaker 5: You know that the huddle bend.
Speaker 7: You know, Caleb, you have a rookie quarterback and you have a lot of new moving parts. You're going from right side to the left side, from guard to tackle. Is the How is the communication inside the huddle? Whether you're on the road at a place like Houston or at home like last week, is the communication developing in in the huddle, you know, because of again it's a new offense and everything for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah. No, Caleb does a great job. I will say. You know, obviously during the week you got your you know, your little Nickson there, but when it comes to the game time, he's real on on making sure the play calls are correct and uh, you know, getting out there and just playing with confidence. He even for a rookie, you know, he does a great job. So you know, it's great having him out there. It's great seeing him develop, you know, and hopefully we can continue to just you know, thrive off of last week's victory and continue to improve.
Speaker 7: Have you ever got a call from the WWE, Because you know, when you Jeff sits there and talks about your size and how big of a man you are, what a good athlete you are, and how versatile you are. I'm just saying, man, a guy like you, Steve.
Speaker 5: McMichael went in and had a great career.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't be against it, But I haven't gotten any call I went to I remember running to uh Hogan and Rick Flair. They were doing the Q and A down in Jersey. Me and my buddy went down there and we got to go backstage, and first thing I see when I get that back backstage is Rick Flair down in a three point stance. So man, it was a great experience. But now, man, no calls in wrestling. I did grow up Washington a little bit, but uh, you know that that it would be interesting to you.
Speaker 7: Know, I met both of those guys and you had to dwarf f him. They had to look at you going, oh my god, I hope he doesn't get into this.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 8: My buddy took a picture with Hogan and he wasn't even focused on taking the picture. He was just staring me down.
Speaker 6: So you didn't start really playing football till your high school year and at one point three ninety Yeah, man, how did you get down?
Speaker 8: Obviously didn't play anything. I tried. My mom tried to sign me up for Pop Warner, but in California or the area I was in, it was real strict on the weight. And obviously now it's changed. If you're bigger, you kind of play with the age group above you or whatnot. So once that happened, I kind of didn't do much. And then I got to high school and uh, that's where you know, the weight just kind of started to drop.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and I understand boxing your big you know, and you're a bouncer, and I mean, I don't want to mess with.
Speaker 8: You at the club many man, that was job.
Speaker 5: You'd be the perfect bouncer, but you may be too nice.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, you kind of gotta change the whole demeanor in that situation. They put me in the worst area too.
Speaker 6: So well, we hope to catch up with you with again. Time doesn't permit. But Fluis is right, you're a good conversation, so appreciate you. Good luck moving forward here and bring some of that Super Bowl karma to the Bears here, right, That had to be a good experience. You know what it like now on the inside out what it takes, right, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think we got it. We got what it takes. We just got to keep continuing to start forward and you know, put it on the put it on the field.
Speaker 6: All right, One more segment to go, we'll preview the Bears and Panthers with Tom. I'm Jeff here at ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome back to Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Here's your host, the voice of the Bears, Jeff, show.
Speaker 6: You this Bears quefully is brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit Athletical dot com to request it in clinic or virtual appointment that start feeling the better tomorrow, and by CDW people who get it. Jeff and Tom, as we look at the Bears and Panthers now from a Panthers perspective. Tom and I had a chance to visit with Luke Keickley, the former Carolina Panther linebacker who had a lot of great things to say. We had him on our Bears et cetera podcast if you want to check that out on wherever you get your podcasts. So we had a good time with Luke just thirty three years old. And you reminded me Tom, you were talking Ireed at thirty three as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but for those of you who don't know who Lukeekley are, Luke Keekley is, go out and search him, because you're more likely to look at him walking down Wall Street in a three piece suit carrying a briefcase going to some financial job. But he's one of the best linebackers in NFL history. That looks nothing like the part. And I was really excited that we had a chance to talk to him.
Speaker 5: And here we go at that sit down with.
Speaker 7: Luke, did you ever feel undersize? And number two, did you ever beat Notre Dame when you're at Boston College because that's where I went to school.
Speaker 11: Yeah, of course you already know the answer to your second question.
Speaker 8: That's way asked.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought.
Speaker 11: Answer, We never beat him. We played my freshman year, we played him at Notre Dame, took him down to the wire, couldn't get it. Second year we played him at home. They beat the Brakes Office Dame Chris and that offense was really good. And then my third year we played back at in South Bend and it just we played tough the first the first half or so, and they kind of got away from a in the second half. We saw had a chance to win at the end, but I think they ran the clock out on us. So that was where that was one team that I always wanted to beat being from Cincinnati, because in Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: You're a Bearcats fan, you're a Notre Dame fan.
Speaker 11: Or you're a Hive State fan. And you know, I didn't really get recruited by Notre Dame Ohio State, so I always wanted to beat them. But back to your first question, feeling undersized Trent Williams my rookie year, I was like, I've never seen anybody that big, that fast, that explosive, that could bend length.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's been I don't know how long he's been.
Speaker 11: In the league, fourteen years, fifty fourteen, fifteen years. He is gigantic, and I was like, this is a little bit different than playing college football.
Speaker 5: Ryan Pole's Boston College grad as well. Oh yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: So you started there in O nine, he left in Oh wait, he undrafted with the Bears. Did you guy, did you on your visit? Did you happen to visit with the offensive lineman? Did you have any interaction with Ryan Poles?
Speaker 11: I think I think I met him briefly. When you're young like that and you go to a college and you're you're just trying to stay above the water, and my approach is probably the wrong approach was I was like, just be quiet, stay in your lane, be very nice to everybody. And I got a little bit overwhelmed on this visit. So I'm sure I'm I met him. He's done a fantastic job in uh in Chicago, But all my buddies talked about poles, Poles, Poles, poles, poles when I was at BC, especially the older guys.
Speaker 7: Got to get your feeling, your professional opinion on the change at quarterback in Carolina because the Bears were in a unique position and they had a.
Speaker 8: Lot to do with that that pick.
Speaker 7: So what are your feelings about what the Panthers the changes they made.
Speaker 11: And you look at you look at our team, and you look what Bryce has been through the last two years, multiple coaches, different people calling offensive plays. Offensive line last year isn't very good. We didn't have a ton of skill last year on the offensive side of the ball. It's fast forward to this year. I think the best thing for him is to exactly to do exactly is what happened with you bring Andy in after Week two, tough start to the year with Bryce, and then Andy comes in and plays and has done a really good job. He's energized the offense. And I think for Bryce, this is just a really good opportunity to just take a breath, man like, take a breath, get used to what we're doing. And I think you put these young guys in at quarterback sometimes it's got to be a good situation. If it's not a good situation, just give him a little time to breathe look at what New England's doing with Drake May. I mean, you'd love to put him in the game, but until they get enough pieces around him, I don't think they feel comfortable doing it. So I think Bryce has a bright future in front of him. But Andy's done a great job the last two weeks of running the offense, getting a ball out, giving ourselves a chance to win, throwing good balls.
Speaker 8: He's he's a winner.
Speaker 11: You guys obviously had him in Chicago and he's done a fantastic job for us. He's started three games obviously too this year, one last year, and he's played fantastic well.
Speaker 7: Scheme success by Andy Dalton give a little bit more leeway to the coaching staff and kind of allow you guys to prove you have the right guy in place. It's just about experience in the system.
Speaker 11: Well, absolutely, and it allows you to evaluate the rest of the pieces on the offensive side of the ball. You know, if you know you can evaluate the offensive line, the running backs, the receivers, the ball's coming out, guys are getting opportunities to go after balls now, and I think it's and it gives us an opportunity to evaluate what we have in the coaching staff. You know, the first couple of weeks it's saying, oh, you know, how are we doing? And then these last two weeks now you get to see the Dave Canalis offense and what we're capable of. And I think there was a lot of positive momentum when we brought him in, and in the off season there's a lot of chatter of hey, we really like Dave Canalis. He's a good dude, he's got great energy, he's smart, he knows what he's doing. And then now these last two weeks on the offensive side of the ball, and say, hey, he's exactly what we need and what we want. And so I think for our team this has been a really good move, not only for the offense, but to evaluate and you know, Dave Canos has been fantastic and.
Speaker 6: Jero Vero, is he pulling his hair out right now? Because you're no fault of his own. He loses an outstanding defensive lineman and Derek Brown now linebackers. Shack Thompson out for the year with an Achilles. Looks like Josie Jewel is going to be out. Can they weather that storm defensively.
Speaker 11: To be It's gonna be a battle, right you know, Derek Brown out, Josie Jewel out, Chack Thompson out, Jordan Fuller is starting safety out. So four huge pieces, two big free agents we brought in, and two guys that have been in our team for a long time that we're relying on are out. So yeah, I'm sure, I'm sure Jerro is like Dagon, I got to figure this out. But now you get a look at some of the young guys. We drafted a guy Trevin Wallace this year out of Kentucky that the staff really like. I know, Dan Morgan really liked him as well. So now you get a chance to see what you have in these guys. And Azirero is a fantastic coach, and you know, I'm sure he'd love to have these guys healthy, but that's not the case in the NFL. You got to deal with what you have and he'll he'll get him going. And it's good that you know he's got a full week to figure it out versus last week when you know, Shaq and Josie going to go down. Now, your game plan changes a little bit, so it's hard to make those adjustments mid game. But this week he's got a full week to understand, all right, this is our planet, linebacker, this is what we're going to do. So I think he's a fantastic coach. I'm sure he's like, Man, this isn't I wish I had my guys, but that's not how gooes.
Speaker 6: Louke Keigley, former Panthers linebacker and part of the radio network, Tom, you see really good opportunities against this Carolina defense for the Bears to exploit. They do play a lot of his own, so there's going to be opportunities to find some open receivers.
Speaker 7: Really do Jeff, you know, But you know, as we're listening to that interview, I was thinking a lot about the eighty five Bears because at the beginning of the season they had some challenges where the opponent was playing really well against the Bears, and then the defense started to develop the reputation that they earned throughout the rest of the season, and then the offense continue the process of getting better and getting more profitable and you know, sustaining success. And I think that's kind of where the Bears are at when you look at this opponent. So that there's injuries on the defensive side of the ball for Carolina, So the offense has to continue that improvement process with a young quarterback, but the defenses has to continue the domination that it started last year and it has an opportunity to continue. And it seems like this is a major step going forward and about you know, developing that reputation you're a good team and then going to London and beating what you consider a home team, but you got to be the better team.
Speaker 5: Andy Dalton sixty points in two games.
Speaker 6: Bryce Young, a quarterbacks sixty one total points in his last seven starts.
Speaker 5: So something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 6: This is Bears Weekly here on ESPN and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 7: End.
Speaker 6: We're brought to you by igs entergy Back for our final thoughts after this break, Well.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Bears Weekly on the Bears Ingio Network.
Speaker 2: Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears, Chef Joe.
Speaker 6: You call the Gold Bears fans want unforgettable access to see the Bears play at Soldier Field this season, Well, VIP official ticket package is now available for every home game on lack access to exclusive ticket packages that may include entry to win stadium, hospitality lounges, pregame, sideline credentials, and the Chicago City Pass. Visit Chicago Bears VIP Dot Commerce Call EAT sixty six two oh two five seven five to five for more info again Chicago Bears VIP Dot Comer Call EAT sixt six to two oh two, five to seven, five five. Don't miss this exclusive opportunity with Chicago Bears VAP Jeff and Tim at our final moments, gotta check in with Coach Hi Tower. The Bear Special Teams coordinator Tom uh deserve it show the blind NFC Special Teams Player.
Speaker 5: Of the Week.
Speaker 12: He doesn't care anything about stats. All he cares about is helping his team and being there for the team.
Speaker 8: So I was really excited to.
Speaker 12: See Uh him be a weapon UH in such a huge way to help the football team right there, and the punt team UH in general is really doing a really nice job for him, allowing him to be comfortable. All those guys on that unit, you know, starting with Scott obviously, UH daily doing a great job along with Hardy Sandborn aiming Uh Noah Soule uh Khalil Herbert and then obviously Hicks and then the gunners. You know, Tory would not uh want me to sender congratulations to him without mentioning guys like Josh Blackwell uh and Jalen Jones and all the guys that are out there doing a lot uh to help him.
Speaker 9: Get that award.
Speaker 12: So I just want to say thanks to all those guys as well, because they're busting their tail and Coach Polk's doing a great job with those gunners outside.
Speaker 6: YEP and the gunners, and he mentioned Blackwell, Blackwell just super fast guys really becoming a necessity. Can't lose that guy. He's outstanding on them, so is Jalen Jones. And so yeah, Tory Taylor, keep it going. And Tom what I later on today at the podium he talked about Taylor was not happy with his performance against the Colts, and so he worked extremely hard over the course of the week prior to the kickoff against the Rams to get better and so that he don't.
Speaker 5: Want to let anybody down.
Speaker 7: But earlier in the week, we had a chance to talk to Tremaine Edmonds and we talked about what incentive the great punting is for a good defense because they know if they back up the opponent into an area where they can really attack and then create great field position for the offense. It's like a triple whammy. A great punt, you put out a great defense, they stop their offense, they punt, they create great field possession for your offense. And I think it's kind of some of the unknown and the untalked about elements of why your team is successful.
Speaker 5: All right, Tom, you're ready for this. Now tell me kickoffs.
Speaker 6: So the Panthers will kick you the ball good and they will return the ball. So they lead the NFL in kick return yards at three sixty eight.
Speaker 5: So the Bears got to be ready for that.
Speaker 6: And they've given up the fourth most kick return yards at two thirty seven. So it's in play and that'll make you happy.
Speaker 5: It should be.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 5: What did I tell you last week?
Speaker 8: I give you, give you.
Speaker 7: Give the Bears the offense the ball at the thirty yard line. I'm okay with it.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, let's let's hope.
Speaker 6: Let's hope we get some nice returns and we'll get you off the ledge. I want the kick return to stay in the National Football League that's gonna wrap us up. We'll talk to you at noon on Sunday from Soldier Field. Thanks to all our producers including Kevin z Pak and all our guests including Caleb Williams and also Big Matt Pryor. Thanks Dan Brilliant Jordan Trade up as well. For Tom Fayir, I'm Jeff Joniyak. Thanks for listening everybody on your new radio home with the Chicago Bears ESPN Chicago National League Baseball Playoffs coming up next.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation The Bears Weekly, hosted by the Mara, Bearsville Chef Judy apt and Surfmaster Tom Thayer. Podcasts were available on the Chicago Bears Official ADAM brought to you by Verizon and Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Bears Weekly has been brought to you by f Miller.
Speaker 11: Like