Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Josh and for this week's select, I've chosen our episode, Was There a Real Robin Hood? From the Heady Innocent Days of twenty eighteen. It's a super neat history episode where we search for the real Robin Hood and find some really great candidates. Was there a Real Robin Hood? I guess you'll just have to listen to find out.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff you should know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh Clark, and there's Charles w Chuck Bryant, and there's Jerry over there. We're just horsing around saying who's a Who's Ah?
Speaker 3: Actually, I think people might like a little recree of what just happened.
Speaker 1: Let's hear it.
Speaker 3: Jerry said, I need to check levels. We didn't really say anything, and she said, all right, you're ready. And you said, we didn't say anything for levels. She said, I don't need you to say anything.
Speaker 2: She's like, in fact, I need you to stop talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I had to wait until she said start talking his mouth start talking? Monkey?
Speaker 2: Goodness me? Is that where we are? Yep? How's it going?
Speaker 1: It's good. I just want to before we really get started. Chuck on to point something. I'm not sure if you know this or not. O, boy, you have a paper clip holding your glasses together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At first I was like, is he just storing the paper clip? And I thought, no, he's not storing a paper clip. Keep that tucked in his cheek. If he were just storing.
Speaker 2: It, that would like everything else store.
Speaker 1: It's on the arm of your glasses where your glasses meet the body.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. You see there, it goes through.
Speaker 3: It's the it's acting as the screw because the thing, the screw came out and I need my glasses on in order to put the screw in the glasses.
Speaker 2: It's quite an under him.
Speaker 1: Were you raised in Oklahoma in the depression?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Why because you can get other glasses.
Speaker 3: Dude, that's how busy I am. I can't go by the glasses store.
Speaker 2: I don't need new ones.
Speaker 3: I just need someone with tiny fingers, okay, and good vision.
Speaker 1: In Oklahoma could probably help you to put in the screw.
Speaker 2: Ironically, and this is this worked so well.
Speaker 3: I stuck this the paper clip in there, bent it around and I kind of like it.
Speaker 1: It is. It's handsome. It's a handsome. Look I think you're gonna start there. Well, I like it. Oh boy, thanks for playing a long sure. So, uh we're talking today. The reason I said who's A? Who's A? Is because we're talking Robinhood.
Speaker 2: Is that from Robin Hood?
Speaker 1: No, it's actually from the movie Role Models, the Paul Rudd movie.
Speaker 2: I like that movie.
Speaker 1: It's good. I saw it the other day again.
Speaker 2: Good dumb fun. Yeah, I love it. You know he like wrote that Rud Yeah he's great. I like a Stiffler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's great in that too.
Speaker 2: His little buddy in that movie or whatever they call.
Speaker 1: Him, Ronnie, Yeah, yeah, he was Ronnie. Yeah, he's amazing.
Speaker 2: I expect great, great things from that kid. Ye, at least I hope so.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I was watching roll Miles the other day and one of the larp guys comes up and goes, who's A? And I was like, I always thought it was huzzah. Yeah, Strickland always says it when he's dressed up like the King of the Renaissance Festival.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those larp scenes were funny too, right, But the guy comes up and says, who's A?
Speaker 1: So I was like, I can't wait to incorporate that somehow Robin Hood here we go.
Speaker 2: Prince of Thieves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the reason why that would work is because the LARPers were set in the medieval era, and everyone knows Robin Hood's set in the medieval era. But actually that's totally incorrect. Yeah, most of the time when you see Robin Hood, it's set in the Tudor era, almost almost variably in Sherwood Forest, which is a wooded area and about the right smack dab in the center of England. And everybody running around is acting like it's the fourteen hundreds, maybe the fifteen hundreds, And that's all well and good. If you're making a Disney version of it, reality just goes right out the window. Right, it's Disney. It's a cartoon, for goodness sake. Everybody lighting up.
Speaker 2: But I love that version.
Speaker 1: It's entirely possible and it's a good one. And there are historians who believe that there was a real Robin Hood, and they have spent a lot of time and effort trying to track down exactly who it might be, exactly when he might have lived, and my money and a lot of historians place it right around the beginning of the twelve hundreds the thirteenth century in England, long before the tutors werever even a twinkle in anybody's loins.
Speaker 3: But here's my bet is that Robin Hood is a an amalgam amalgam of a few dudes that the writers of history have filled in some blanks and then the writers of literature just like ran with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's my take on it, as well as that it's a few people served as role models for it, role models and new plan that Paul rud is everywhere.
Speaker 3: But there are some people who still think that there was no such person at all, or maybe even persons.
Speaker 2: It might have been wholly created.
Speaker 1: Sure, But then on the opposite side, there are some people and there are few and far between from what I can tell, you believe there was a single person, yeah, named Robin Hood, who did most of this stuff and was the basis for these legends that.
Speaker 2: They're called people who want to sell books.
Speaker 1: So there's right, there's like they're like Robin Hood case closed a big stamp to do it was like a whole spectrum that you can just walk right up and say, I believe this, and you're as right as anybody on the Robin Hood train.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if we go back in time, you know, I think everyone knows that early historians had a lot of blanks and they weren't the most reliable narrators.
Speaker 1: No, because they would just fill them in with stuff they made up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think they didn't. I don't know if they realized that early on. I'm speculating here that they.
Speaker 1: Were really good historians.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that they're like recording history. I think it was more like, hey, this is a good story, and I don't know, in five hundred years people are going to.
Speaker 2: Be taking this as is written history. There's spinning yarn.
Speaker 1: In this case. I don't think that's correct. I think that they were they considered themselves actual historian thinks who were getting to the bottom of history. But they had a worldview, and specifically with Robinhood, it was I think fifteenth century or sixteenth century Scottish historians who were the ones who really kind of gave us the image of Robinhood that we have drunk, the robbing from the rich to give to the poor, the chivalry, a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Anti establishment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that actually was part of it before they had to kind of figure out how to make that one work because it didn't make sense to them at the time. But they basically said, here, we've got these ballads that were written in the thirteen hundred, it's the fourteenth century, and we think they're historical, so we're going to try to put this in context. And the stuff we don't understand, we're just gonna make up, but we're going to pass it off as real. So there's this if you it's one of those great things like with fairy tales. We know all these fairy tales, and you remember we did those those episodes on it. Yeah, but if you strip away this stuff that's been added over the years and get to the bare bones, it's way darker, a lot different, yeah, and a lot different than what we know and love, as you know, for in this case the robin Hood legend.
Speaker 3: Right, So if you want to look at literature, like you mentioned these ballads, the actual canon for robin Hood, the very first mention is one called Piers Plowman p I. E. R. S.
Speaker 1: Like Piers Morgan exactly.
Speaker 3: From William Langland about thirteen seventy seven. And then there were a host of other ballads and this is all what was this Middle English, I think, so is that what you would call it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe even old.
Speaker 3: Like why's for vowels and things like that, like cannaburytail stuff.
Speaker 1: I really don't know if it's Middle or Old English. Way, it's barely legible.
Speaker 3: It is a little and that is spelled l y t y lll, which is great.
Speaker 2: A little gest of robin Hood.
Speaker 1: Those was that like Sean Connery maybe dope.
Speaker 3: Gest of robin Hood. That's just straight up says Robin Hood. And then a few more robin Hood and the Monk robin Hood, and the Potter robin Hood, and Guy of Gisborne and Robin Hood in the Temple of Doom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one was super dark.
Speaker 2: It was very dark.
Speaker 1: The author had just broken up with his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what brought us the PG thirteen rating. It was mistaken that incremlins. So whether or not you believe this stuff basically has to do with whether or not these early songs you think are just songs or a.
Speaker 2: Matter of history historical record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's how before people commonly wrote stuff down. Like at this time when this stuff was being written, the people who were writing it were monks, those are the only people educated enough to write, but people still pass stories down. They did it through oral histories. So it's entirely possible that these early ballads were meant to were created to commemorate person or people or events or something like that, and then just over time we lost Wait a minute, are these fiction or nonfiction? But you're right, like that's the divide when it comes to approaching robin hood from an historical advantage, like are these just totally fiction, right, or are they meant to commemorate something that actually happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's easy through today's lens to dismiss these things as songs. But back then, like you're saying, it's like what better way to remember history, sure than to set it to Come on, Eileen, you know.
Speaker 1: Why that man? Why'd you just do that?
Speaker 2: That's a great song.
Speaker 1: It was the first thousand times I heard it.
Speaker 2: Oh, you don't like anymore? You know.
Speaker 1: That's one of the problems is it's like it's like they just made ten songs in the eighties and that's all you ever hear. There were so many more songs.
Speaker 2: Burning down the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was once a great song as well.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see David burndon night.
Speaker 3: Oh cool with uh, So you've won't listen to kime on Aileen, but you'll regurgitate the what's up Budweiser guys.
Speaker 1: That was from the nineties. I've heard that less frequently.
Speaker 3: What connection did I hear recently from the guy who directed those I think he's directing movies now or something.
Speaker 2: The guy who directed those commercials.
Speaker 3: Right, they're like, you may like, you've never heard of this movie director, but you right, remember these guys.
Speaker 2: That was the gist of it.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised those ads never got like a full movie themselves. Yeah, it was that. That definitely that era.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Remember the Caveman from the Geico Ads. H they had their own TV show for a come out. Yeah, like for like three episodes see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this totally could have been a TV show and call it What's Up?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 1: Right, what's happening was taken?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: So where were we? We were talking about the talking heads?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's talk about the forest.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason we're talking about the forest is because, well, a character may or may not have existed. The stuff in the ballads definitely bears a strong resemblance sexual historical events.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the forest is significant here because at the time in the Middle Ages, how much head a percentage of two thirds of the land in England was forest land and.
Speaker 2: It was sort of a.
Speaker 3: It was a place where the king, it was a place where people could go hide out. So that's where it gets this sort of outlaw lore is it was a legit place for outlaws to go do their business.
Speaker 1: Right, but it was also an outlaw hideout. Yeah, because just by hanging out in the forest you were by definition an outlaw because of those forest laws that were super unpopular among people.
Speaker 2: You know, forest law means what I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell.
Speaker 2: You what's days. What happens in the forest days in the forest?
Speaker 1: Yeahs unless somebody comes out and blabs about what goes on in the forest. Do you remember, like being a kid though, hanging out in the forest, in the woods, like playing.
Speaker 3: I grew up in on two acres in the woods, so yeah, I was always in the woods.
Speaker 1: Its own place it is. So you can imagine like your whole country is like that, and like that's how you're living. You're just an outlaw with your buddies hanging out, having a campfire every night, eating roast pig that you find wandering around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was weird because the king could like that was his land where he could go have, you know, go hunting, right and have his his dudes hunting. But it was also lawless in a place to hide.
Speaker 2: It was weird. There was a lot going on in the forest, right.
Speaker 1: So the reason why you were just by definition and outlaw if you were hanging out in the forest is because the king had these forest laws that said, all this forest, this is mine. Yeah, this is for my hunting, my friend's hunting, and that's it. If you're hanging out in the forest, you're breaking the law. And it was like a big law and like there was serious punishments first, So just being in the forest made you an outlaw. But even more than that, the people who went and lived in the forest weren't like on the run necessarily from the king and the king's officials. They were like at war with the king and the king's officials. This is a time where like just some schmoe like you or me could like wage war directly with the King of England and get him to come fight us basically, and that's kind of what happened, and that's why the forest was a backdrop for all of the robin Hood legends from the beginning of the ballads up to the Robinhood Men and Tights. They were all set in the forest. And because this happened, the forest laws were passed and everyone was really upset about it. So, whether it's a metaphor or whether they're saying, like the king did this and we need to commemorate it, or they were just you know, building a foundation for why this action was taking place, The forest like plays a huge role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a new Robinhood movie out. Yeah, it's crazy, Like it seems like every couple of years this this just won't die. They're going to do a new version of it. And there's a new one with the kid from Kidd and play the Yeah with kid from Kidd and Play.
Speaker 1: He's awesome. He does that like jump through he remember foot and then jump through this.
Speaker 2: I used to could do that.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, I never could. Yeah, I would just fall flat on my face.
Speaker 2: Young Chuck was a little more fleet of foot.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's got the kid from the Kingsman, you know that guy he plays Robin Hood and Jamie Jamie Fox is Little John, I guess, but it's you know, of course this one he's he's shooting like literally like five arrows at once, and they all manage to go in different directions somehow.
Speaker 1: Oh is it a comedy?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's real.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Like there's guys coming at him from different directions.
Speaker 3: And so he'll put like three arrows and shoot them at the same time. Yet they'll all like spread out like a machine gun fire or something, her shotgun.
Speaker 1: And for some weird reason, he's going yeah, yeah with every shot.
Speaker 3: And then I was looking up movies today just while we're on that, and I totally forgot there was a Russell Crowe version that I didn't even see.
Speaker 1: I think that was just Robin Hood, right.
Speaker 2: Robin Hood from like twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Surprisedly, Yeah, No, that's not the one. There's one that like historians are like, this is about as close to accurate as we've gotten.
Speaker 3: Well, I looked up on the Russell Crowe and then I think the deal is that one is a prequel of sorts, because it's it's like the Wars before he became you know, Robin hood.
Speaker 2: That you know robs and gives to the poor.
Speaker 1: I would go check that one out. The one that I was thinking of is from nineteen ninety one. It was directed by John Irvin, starring Patrick Bergen, remember him, Oh yeah, and Uma Thurman. That's the one of the historians are like, this really is the best out of all of them, not Costner.
Speaker 2: I like that movie when it came out. I'll admit it.
Speaker 1: I saw JFK on the plane to Australian and I gotta tell you as it came a Costner fan with that one all over again is a great actor.
Speaker 2: You fell in love all over again?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I specifically avoided Draft Day so I could leave the door open to be a fan again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's funny. I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: All I remember was that preview for Draft Day.
Speaker 1: That's all I saw it too.
Speaker 2: But I just remember that.
Speaker 3: They built up in that previous it's about the NFL Draft, something so big, like I can't believe that happened, It's gonna happen. I was like, what did they like kill somebody in the draft room.
Speaker 1: No, they drafted calling Kernick Capernick, that's so you Kaepernick whatever, let's.
Speaker 2: Take a break. I feel like we're off the rails and we're lost in the forest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll come back right after this as W s K as.
Speaker 4: Big should know that.
Speaker 2: That's why s K.
Speaker 4: You should know why s K.
Speaker 1: That we should know knows. But Josh Clark, by the way, I want to say, I admire Colin Kaepernick or Kpernick, and I might no disrespect by saying his name. You're right, that is just so me.
Speaker 2: Of course I knew you're kneeling right now.
Speaker 1: In fact, I know that you knew, but I just wanted to sure you know.
Speaker 3: All right, So they're in the forest. The forest makes historical sense, like we pointed out, that's where outlaws did their bidding. And now we should talk about the king because it's sort of not all over the map. But there's a few a few people that some historians believe could have been the King of note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what's what's weird is if you read those original ballads that are spelled all crazy, they mentioned the king once. Out of all of you, there's just one mention of the king, and they refer to him as Edward, our comely King.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I think is Edward three.
Speaker 1: Right, that's what some historians say if you take the ballads at face value and that they were written contemporaneously to Robin Hood's exploits.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people and even in the popular culture, the kings that are most associated with the robin Hood legend are Richard the Lion Heart and his brother, the sniveling villain, King John.
Speaker 2: He's always sniveling and when he and so.
Speaker 1: In the In the robin Hood legends, Robin Hood frequently helped Richard the Lion Heart regain his throne from King John, who had scheme to get it away from him. King John's the villain King King. Really, Robin Hood's the hero, but King Richard's like the backup hero. But they think that it's possible in some of the best candidates for who robin Hood is based on. Actually, we're running around and interacting with the real life King John, if not also King Richard too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that doesn't make sense time wise, right, because unless they just took a while to get around to writing these stories, because they were around one hundred years before the first Robin Hood ballad started appearing.
Speaker 1: Right, which, in my opinion, lends credence to the idea that the ballads are folklore based on actual events, because that time span is just about enough for things to be kind of changed and compressed and added to and for a folklore to develop. Like, think about it, if you're describing like an outlaw, Like if you or I like wrote something about Billy the Kid based on stuff we'd heard, what will we come up with? It'd be close, but it wouldn't be like one hundred percent accurate, right right, Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: Richard, though, had a pretty interesting story when he died, and this is something that is not lower but is as close to recorded fact as we can get. He was walking around the perimeter of a chateau in France where he that was just there was a battle going on, basically didn't have I get the feeling that it was sort of winding down. So he may have d chain mailed and was like just airing out his armpits or something. Oh so sweaty, and he was shot with a crossbow in the shoulder. Ordinarily might not have been a big deal, but it turned gangrenous. And some people say as he was dying, he said, bring me the man who shot me, and they bring the man and he like forgave him and said, spare this man. I may die, but do not do anything to him. But that's not how it turned out.
Speaker 1: Is it. It's not the guy's name Peter Basil. And after the king died, everybody turned to Peter Basil and was like, you know you're dead, right.
Speaker 2: He's like, I probably figured it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's like I was really hoping that wasn't the case, best, right, But didn't you hear him? He just said right, mother. But they flayed him alive, which meant peeling the skin off of his head while he was alive, unbelievable. And then after he endured a lot of agony, they hanged him without the skin because I'm sure they peeled it off of his neck as well. Imagine how bad a hanging would be. But then without your skin on your neck, it's adding insult to injuries, what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it was custom at the time that you bury the king in different places, which sounds really horrific now, but he was. He was cut up and buried in different places heart in Normandy, his entrails and shallows, and apparently the rest of his remains in anjou.
Speaker 2: Right, so that was a good brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was Richard the lion Heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he wasn't like deposed by his brother John. He actually died. He was king for two years after their father. What was his name, Henry, I believe, Henry the second, Yeah, Henry the Second, right, Yeah, Okay, so after Henry the Second died, Richard took over for two years, then he dies and then John ascends to the.
Speaker 2: Throne reign of terror.
Speaker 1: And John was like he's known among historians as the worst king England's ever had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was, like you said, he was paranoid, he had no scruples, he was humorless.
Speaker 2: He was just not a good guy.
Speaker 3: They point out in this article you sent he was the opposite of Robin Hood and that he took from the rich and the poor and just.
Speaker 2: Gave it to himself.
Speaker 1: I actually wrote that, did you write that?
Speaker 2: Very well done?
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you everybody.
Speaker 2: It sounded like a Josh Clark line.
Speaker 3: And in the movies, like John's always just sort of a just that he's sort of a whiny baby.
Speaker 1: He is, but he's also very powerful and very evil and deadly.
Speaker 2: Yes, and vindictive.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, So this is in real life. That's how he's remembered and just described. He was very well known for being a heavy taxer. He would take your state and he would use these funds to like enrich himself basically like you were saying. But he was the noble or he was the king that the nobles rebelled against and forced to sign the magnet Karta. That was John. Yeah, that means that he was such a bad king that his own people rose up and took London hostage and forced him to negotiate with them, and he signed this document that forms the basis of civil and individual liberties in the Western world, you know, the Magnet Carta signed in twelve fifteen. So John was forced to sign that, and this rebellion is kind of part of the Robinhood legend as well.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool. Yeah, he wasn't cool.
Speaker 1: No, but I just thought everything going on around him was cool. And I think that the point of John and the reason why I think that he was part of the basis of the robin Hood legend historically, is that prior to John, when his father was king, there was a respect for the rule of law and things were just kind of run well, like the king didn't act above the law. Well, King John was very much not like that. He was above the law and acted like it and flawn at it. So when his father was around, the idea of an outlaw, an outlaw was a villain. By the time John took over, or after John took over, that had reversed. The outlaw was in opposition to the king. The law was what was corrupt, and so John's reign kind of gave this fertile ground for a legend like Robin Hood, an outlaw hero to develop, possibly for the first time in Western culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was prime time for something like this to take hold. Right.
Speaker 3: So, as far as who Robinhood may have been, historians have tossed a lot of people into the pot over the years, and most of them have some variation of that name.
Speaker 2: There was a Robin with a Y.
Speaker 3: Hod h o d, a Robert Hood or Robertus not bad, that was Gilbert Robin Hood.
Speaker 1: Sure, why not with a Y N. So all these historians are like, oh, it's got to be these three guys.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, robin Hood with a U.
Speaker 3: But here's what some other folks have finally said, is you know what I think that name is not a name, but it is a term for an outlaw. Yeah, so it was created and there's a little bit to back that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there really is. They actually this is like as clever as an historian.
Speaker 2: Can get pretty good stuff here, clever.
Speaker 1: And lucky some historians. I didn't find out who it was or when, but they came upon a I guess like a civic proclamation about prior, which is a church official being pardoned for seizing somebody's assets. Yes, and the person and he seized him without a warrant, which is what he was being pardoned for. But the person whose assets he sees was an outlaw named William Robehood. Okay, Robin Hood right, rob e Hod. So they were like, okay, this is a Robin Hood right here. They managed to find the year's court record before for the same area that there was only one prior in the area, and that noted that the prior had seized the assets of a guy named Robert Son or no william Son, yeah, william Son of Robert Lefever. So what they figured out was that the clerk in the pardoning proclamation wrote down that the guy was a Robohoud, which meant a fugitive an outlaw, and they say, okay, this is proof positive that as late as twelve sixty two, no later than twelve sixty two, the idea of using the term robin hood or some variation of that as a term for an outlaw generic term for an outlaw was so widespread that a clerk could write that down denote somebody as a robohod and people would know what they were talking about, which means that that legend of Robinhood had to have been around prior to this and in circulation for long enough that it had spread.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So in effect, William's son of Robert Lefever is the same person as William Robahod, right, And this dude in twelve sixty two, this clerk just took it upon himself to give him that name, and no one thought he was crazy.
Speaker 1: Right, Almost like he had written down William the bank robber, right, or William the bandit yeah yeah, rather than writing his last name, which frankly, he didn't have a last name. He was son of Robert Lefever, yeah, because they didn't have last names very much back then. So it was very much like the clerk wrote William the Outlaw Bannit, Yes, but what he used robahod or robin Hood instead of outlaw Bandit is just somewhere over the ages we lost that knowledge that Robahad or robin Hood meant that and wasn't an actual person.
Speaker 2: Right. So there's this other guy, Fulk Fitzwarren.
Speaker 1: This guy, he is a bad dude.
Speaker 3: He was a bad dude and he was a real guy. And it turns out there was actually a personal link to King John. They were pals, Little Fulk Fitzwarren and Young John, who I bet Young John was a not fun to be around. Now he's probably not a fun playmate, yea mine. And here's one story. They were playing chess one day, John got mad, broke his chessboard over Folk's head. Folk kicked him in the stomach and John almost said little John, but that would be a mistake. Little John was a character which, by the way, I don't think we mentioned Little John was referenced in all those old ballads. See he's been around kind of since the beginning.
Speaker 1: And they think they found his grave.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: So this John, as he was younger, went crying to Daddy and said, he kicked me in the stomach. Expecting to get some sort of back up, and apparently that would have been Henry the second. I don't know if he beat him, but he was beaten for complaining about being kicked in the stomach.
Speaker 1: Kanked him good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no wonder John grew up to be a jerk, right His dad did never have his back.
Speaker 1: It sounds like, yeah, that's part of it, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: So flash forward a bit. Folk's father passes away in eleven ninety seven. He inherits his ancestral holding at Whittington. John comes to power and says, I remember when you kicked me in the stomach, what at bastard? I am going to take your holdings, take your family estate basically, and I don't give it to your enemy, old Maury fits Roger. Yeah, sorry, Maury's. There's a name as an ess at the end.
Speaker 1: These names are great.
Speaker 2: So Folk ends up murdering Maury's.
Speaker 1: It might it might even be Morris Morris maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably today it would be Morris fitz Roger.
Speaker 1: That's a new pseudonym.
Speaker 3: Fulk kills Morris, flees and basically wages a robin Hood like war against John and his men for about three years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this could be him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be because not just the fact that he was battling King John and fled to the forest where he used as his base of operations. But there are a few other things that came up. Like one thing that's part of the legends but actually isn't part of the earliest ballads is that that robinhood was a fallen nobleman bud of noble birth who either lost or renounced their title and became an outlaw and then regained it. That's the story of Fulk fitz Warren, like he lost his land, he lost his title to this other guy, and then finally got it back when he was pardoned in twelve oh three.
Speaker 2: Right, pretty good candidate.
Speaker 1: That was one. There's another one where Folk was known to while he was a forest bandit. He would hijack like the King's people who were carrying the King's money album and he would say what do you have on you? And the ones who told the truth about what they actually had, the amount of currency they had on them, he would let live very Robin Hoodie, very like straight out of the legend. But the ones who lied, he would you know, punish with their lives or whatever that was super Robin Hoodie. There was also another character trait of Robin Hood was disguised as using disguises. Folk Fitzwarren was not above disguising himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was another guy historical outlaw named Eustace the Monk who also had the disguised thing down, very much like Robin exactly. He would disguise himself as a potter and that even goes to the Disney cartoon. Yeah, these disguises very much a Robin Hood thing.
Speaker 2: I haven't I don't know.
Speaker 3: Eustace the Monk doesn't seem as enticing to me as Old fitz Warren.
Speaker 1: No, fitz Fitz or Folk is.
Speaker 3: He's my guy to Speaking of fits, though, we should tell everyone that that little tag at the beginning of the name means that you're.
Speaker 2: You're a bastard child, right.
Speaker 1: An illegitimate son. I look that up because it sounded too good to be true. But the there was definitely a kid named Fitzroy, which meant illegitimate son of roy of the king. And I can't remember what king or what the guy's first name was, and since then it's kind of become code. But I don't know that that was widespread at the time that necessarily Folk Fitzwarren was an illegitimate son, or that any of the other fits is were.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I wonder today if like Patrick and Fitzgibbons and like Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald is all Is that all mean illegitimate son of Gerald or Patrick?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know what's the truth anymore?
Speaker 2: Very interesting fits. Should we take another break?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll let everybody ste on that one for a little while.
Speaker 2: We'll be back right after this. As why why why s K?
Speaker 4: As he should know?
Speaker 2: That's why SK.
Speaker 1: We should know why s K.
Speaker 4: We should know?
Speaker 2: Knows Clark.
Speaker 1: All right, so we've covered Folk, and we covered Eustace Folk. By the way, we got to tell that one story real quick about him.
Speaker 2: The beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he found out that another another band that was using his name.
Speaker 2: Pierce Morgan what was his name?
Speaker 1: Pierce?
Speaker 2: What Pierce to Bruville?
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds like these sounds like romance novel names. Yeah, But he found out Pierce was using his name robbing somewhere else. And he captured Pierce and his men, and he made Pierce tie his men up and then go around and behead every single one of them with his own hands.
Speaker 2: With I guess, with the assumption that he would be let.
Speaker 1: Go, I guess, but he didn't. Then he cut off Pierce's hands when he was dead. If this happened, Chuck, can you imagine being in that house, that room where there's like five, six, ten guys? I have no idea how many men there were who were systematically beheaded and so like, as you're waiting in line as the guy next, he's getting his head cut off and your turns next.
Speaker 2: There's heads everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how much blood and gore was everywhere? Like can you imagine like really put yourself into that situation like that may have actually happened? So disturbing, so disturbing, Yeah, like losing your head, that's that's I think that's probably like the first mortal fear any humans ever experienced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we just.
Speaker 1: Know, on like a primal level, the head is supposed to be attached to the body, and when it's not, there's something bad wrong that's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like your your death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't we determine though in a podcast nine and a half years ago, that you stay alive for like what six or seven seconds?
Speaker 2: Second? That's what they found in rats after you were beheaded.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember that one guy who was guillotine like, he kept like looking over and like trying to die. But then they'd say his name and his eyes would open back up and he'd be like what.
Speaker 3: Oh, could you imagine the horror of potentially looking up for four seconds and seeing your headless body?
Speaker 1: No, No, my mind just rails against going there. Yeah, it should, it's replacing it with the what that.
Speaker 2: All? Right?
Speaker 3: So there was a guy who wrote a book. A lot of people are still trying to pieces together. This is not something that historians put to bed years and years ago. Definitely, not only fourteen years ago, in two thousand and four, and probably since then. But there was a dude named Brian Benison who wrote a book called Robin Hood colon.
Speaker 2: Case Closed, always a cult, the real story.
Speaker 1: That's pretty close to Case Closed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: And he says he's a lot, he's in the camp, that Robin Hood is a name, like a title, similar, he says to Billy the Kid.
Speaker 2: Right, I thought Billy Kidd was a real dude.
Speaker 1: Though, right, Yeah, I think his name is William Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean he knew at the time that he was called Billy the Kid.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Yeah, it's a terrible analogy. I think so too, because it'd be like Robin son of le Fever, right, but you call him Robin Hood not even close now.
Speaker 3: But at any rate, he claims it's a nickname and that of a man named Roger Godbird or go Baird, and he said he's the real guy. He said he lived in the thirteenth century. He was a friend originally of the Sheriff of Nottingham, Reginald Degray.
Speaker 1: That's pretty significant.
Speaker 3: And we should point out too that the one reason we can't pinpoint a lot of this is that they never name of the Sheriff of Nottingham they're talking about in any of these stories, right, And that's not a person's name, that's a title.
Speaker 1: No, But there is such a thing as the Sheriff of Nottingham that there was back then. But there were many of them, right, exactly, just one after the other. So that doesn't help that much, but it does zero in sure on the area. But yeah, it doesn't help get a time period down.
Speaker 3: No, But he claims that it was specifically Reginald Degray that Sheriff of Nottingham and after what four years is an outlaw. The dude was captured, went to jail, pardoned, and then farmed peacefully for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean, that guy's a pretty good candidate. He is because one of the things about the robin Hood themes, despite some in some of that, I think the ballads, No, not in the ballads. It would have been in the ones that came later, so I guess the ones that the Scottish historians added. He was battling the king in the original ballads. All of the people he was rebelling against and fighting were like local authorities, like the sheriff of Nottingham. Yeah, so he was kind of a working class hero among like the first working class the West has ever seen. The Yooman farmers of the era or of the area. They were like the first like middle class that ever developed. Because either you were a peasant, meaning you were a feudal slave to the feudal lord and you worked the land whether you liked it or not, or you were landed gentry like you were a feudal lord and you had a peasantry and you had, you know, a bunch of land. You're friends with the king. Yeah, but in between there were yeomans. I think that's how you say it. Why an yeomen yeoman? There were yeoman farmers who were they weren't slaves, but they didn't have a title. They just kind of made their own way. And supposedly that's what Robinhood was. So it sounds like that this was what this Roger Gobert is right, he was the same thing. And the idea that he was battling the sheriff of Nottingham, that would place him more in the historical lens than say, if he were like battling King John. That's actually a mark against folk fitz Warren, because that doesn't appear in the original ballads. It was he was battling the sheriff of Nottingham, where he's battling local church officials. He hated the church officials, but he loved God. He did so much so that he would get arrested to come out to go to church.
Speaker 2: Right. He just hated the clergy.
Speaker 1: Right, which at the time those were the people who were taking your land or throwing you in jail or taking your stuff without a warrant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also when you look back on a lot of these early ballads and stories, they're very, very different from what the legend of Robinhood became to us in like contemporary fiction. Apparently that the Jest Ballad only had a couple of things that he did that were even close to like these big altruistic acts that he's really really most known for now.
Speaker 1: I think one of them was he agreed to lend money to a knight of the.
Speaker 3: Really, here's five bucks, just pay it back with a two percent big.
Speaker 1: Right, But that right, but that whole steal from the rich and give to the poor thing. Yeah, that came thanks to the Scottish historians.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all these authors sort of littered it with that stuff because they found a champion of the underling basically and the common man and ran with.
Speaker 1: It just from standing up to the king or to the authority who were acting unjustly and above the law themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's also no mention in those early tales of a maid Marian, who seems to have come along later and is actually one of a great example of one of the first examples in literature of female empowerment of a character. Because made Marian was no one's chump no in any of these stories, and she was like a sort of an equal to Robin, partially because of her spunk and partially because Robin and the.
Speaker 2: Stories at least, was kind of down with equality.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that was one thing. That and basically being in Nottingham area or Yorkshire area but somewhere in the woods. Those two things are basically the two constants throughout all the Robin Hood legends that he was very much down with. He was a feminist, yeah, and made Marian from what I saw, she had her own series of ballads before she appeared in the Robin Hood ballads. She was her own character, and so when they were brought together, it was kind of analogous to like putting Superman and Wonder Woman in the same comic book basically, which is a pretty cool move. That is a cool move, And to keep her equal to him, that's huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is huge.
Speaker 3: Whether or not any of that happened, it's kind of irrelevant as far as literature's concern. There was one historian in fifteen twenty one that wrote, Robin permitted no harm to women, nor sees the goods of the poor, but helped them generously with what he took from abbots, like we were saying earlier with the clergy. But then in some of the earlier stories, there's not a whole lot of mention of that kind of stuff, except for one that just had one comment that Robin did poor men much good.
Speaker 1: It's okay, sure, I guess it's better than like he was the scourge of the poor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it wasn't like they built the legend upon that one kind of throwaway line. But I think they did well yeah, yeah, yeah, right, but they didn't make a lot of hay out of it, or at least that one author didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not at the very beginning. In the ballads, yeah there, it was also like way more violent, Like there was one of the characters much the miller's son, Uh huh much was his name? I just loved that guy's name. Much was. I think in the ballads he lops off the head of a page boy, a child to keep him from like blabbing from what he saw. You know, the location of where the merry Men were right there, It was way more violent than than the later ones depicted Robin hood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were though, all Robin and his merry Men archery was always a big deal. They're all very skilled archers and one of the swordsmen, but they were all super skilled horsemen, and that's not something that you see as much, right, although I think in this new movie there he's pretty good horsemen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean imagine, like it's it's hard enough to be good on a horse, but a horse in a forest, that's that's like a whole different level.
Speaker 3: Shooting arrows. Yeah, like a Mongol exactly. And that was who was so good.
Speaker 1: Yep, the Mongols. The Mongol hordes who made their thigh steaks. Remember they sat on raw meat on their saddles to cure it. Tar tar, stake, tartar.
Speaker 2: What else you got anything?
Speaker 1: Oh? He was killed by a treacherous priorus, a female church official, kind of like a middle manager.
Speaker 2: None, a middle manager none.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to go see none for oh right, was he hurt healthcare? I'm not sure what it was, but he went to go get bled and she purposefully overbled him. And then when he asked to be buried somewhere and she's like, nope, I'm going to bury you on the side of the road. And she supposedly erected a This is in Kirkles. She erected a stone that said here lies Robin hood or something. I don't remember exactly what variation of Robinhood it was Robert hood Hude and supposedly she erected it, and this was written hundreds of years later to basically let travelers through the woods know that they didn't have to fear being held up any longer.
Speaker 3: Apparently if your name had the initials r h, it was fair game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They really have.
Speaker 3: A lot of leeway here with with things like hood hod Hod.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well everybody was illiterate, so it didn't matter.
Speaker 3: Robin Robert robertus, come on, maybe I'm maybe, I'm I'm.
Speaker 1: Mine, you middle English dumb dums.
Speaker 3: And supposedly, after as he was dying, he used his last bit of energy to shoot it, to fire an arrow and say that's where I want to be buried. That's what she was like. That was nice for the movies, but yeah, it's not happening.
Speaker 1: She's like, yeah, sure, sure you can die knowing that I'll bury you.
Speaker 3: Just there over bled. Man, can you imagine, because I guess you just get so weak.
Speaker 1: That I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: You're probably like I think I'm good. But I'm not feeling so hot. She's like, just a little more.
Speaker 1: I'm not dead yet. Yeah, you got anything else?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: So that was robin Hood history. And if you love history too, we'll go look up some Roberhood stuff on the internet. Since I said that it is time for this moment.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna call this one of the many, many, many roundabouts emails that we.
Speaker 2: Got a lot. Everyone loves their roundabouts.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: It was really surprising, like everyone wanted to talk about their hometown roundabout.
Speaker 1: Everybody's very proud of their roundabout.
Speaker 2: Apologies to the people of Carmel.
Speaker 1: Carmel.
Speaker 2: No, didn't say it was Carmel.
Speaker 1: I don't remember anymore.
Speaker 2: I think it's supposed to be Carmel.
Speaker 1: Let's go with Carmel.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, just finished roundabouts. I thought i'd pitch a little info on our local one. In Alexandria, Louisiana the nineteen forties, it built two circles part of a road project speed up travel between two local military bases that had popped up to during World War Two. The larger of the two is still in use, so it's notorious and the area for traffic accidents, especially during heavy traffic and bad weather. It's a two lane circle with a large forested area in the very so that is probably the size of a city block. Like other roundabouts, you must yield to traffic already on the circle. There are two lanes that funnel traffic under the circle, and only one lane for getting off. This means that if you're in the if you enter the left lane, you have to merge to the right lane before you can exit.
Speaker 2: Because the circle is so big.
Speaker 3: Though the speed limit is forty five miles an hour, within this circle, people inevitably go too fast, or sometimes lanes change as slower cars are entering the circle, resulting in rear end crashes. The problem is frequent enough that the city is seriously looking into eliminating the circle.
Speaker 2: Oooh no definitive planet.
Speaker 3: It's replacement has been settled on, and some locals are concerned about disrupting wildlife in the forest as well, which is delayed any definitive action on whether the circle will continue to exist.
Speaker 1: May the Circle be unbroken.
Speaker 2: Warmest regards.
Speaker 3: I love that Marshall Wells from Colfax, Louisiana.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot, Marshall, appreciate that great story. Let us know how it pans out because we worry about the wildlife too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and thanks for everyone who wrote in about the roundabouts. I love the enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nice, especially from Carmel Cormel. If you want to get in touch with us, do that. You can go to stuff you Should Know dot com find out social media links, and you can also send us an email to stuff podcast at HowStuffWorks dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.