Speaker 1: Start up, dot Up, start Up, Brooklyn Boy, start Up, Brooklyn Boys.
Speaker 2: Start up, dot dot Up.
Speaker 1: They making noise dot up, start up, dot dot Up.
Speaker 3: Episode three sixteen. It's the Brooklyn Boys Podcast.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. Yeah, David Brody, how are you today? Good? Scary Jones?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Even though you went to an event that I was related to last night but not official, so you bared me. It sued me. It's crazy. It's crazy because no it was. I didn't get to go, but I understand you. You're very uh uh xenophobic. I want to spend time with you, David Brody. I do want to spend and we're going to talk about how we are going to spend time together last night. Okay, yes, but first let me let me have it. Okay. Yes, you went to an event that was like everything I would like, but you barred me because I'm not. I didn't I didn't check one box of the ten boxes on the check out absolutely, yeah, because I was afraid. I was afraid.
Speaker 3: I was afraid of what was going to happen. So so yesterday I went to Paison Palooza. It was an event on Staten Island at a restaurant and an Italian restaurant and it was a big event.
Speaker 2: Is now now.
Speaker 3: I went last year, so I understand the culture, and I understand what what they had in store. But basically, to paint they broad stroke of what this was. It's basically a bunch of Italian vendors, Italian mom and pop vendors, whether it be foods and drinks and like specialties and knickknacks that all get together to hang out at a party at an Italian restaurant, any Italian food and drink, wine and lemon cello and things like that, and it's it's it's a basically an event that is attended mainly by once again Italians, so mainly you know people that are let's put it this way, I'm not even gonna dance. I'm not gonna dance around it. I'm gonna go right in in a second. I want to pay the picture. A lot of Gucci belts and black leather pants, you know, A lot of it, Yeah, track suits, all of it.
Speaker 2: A lot. Are you done?
Speaker 3: I even got a sticker. I even walked out with a key chain. It says his assist, his ass which is one of the one of.
Speaker 2: The catchphrases of one of the of Cuje and now you're the place that you love one of the Italian delis called Talercio's. They the guy had a shirt on it to your assister's ass on the back. So I love that. So you know you already know the type. Now now you said he remembered me, the guy from.
Speaker 3: The guy from the US years the Italian deli, You're like, yeah, David Brodie said in My Love Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, he likes us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a good Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because because you they're very in there on Instagram. It's very one of those TikTok viral sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Have a terrific I've talked about them, terrific social media pace y amazing and they're the best. Love them.
Speaker 3: So so you got people like that in there, and then you got some local influencers like the people from Brooklyn Bites, which is a very local Uh they do reviews on local Brooklyn bakery from Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then uh, finding Francesca was there. She she goes all over the place in the Jersey on Instagram. Italian girl goes all over the place in Jersey.
Speaker 2: Oh. And Danielle Cabral from the Real Housewives in New Jersey she was there. Yeah, people like that, but basically Italians, you know, people that are just kind of like like the ones I grew up with. Yeah, yeah, like those people like from the old old neighborhood where I lived my whole life. Pretty much.
Speaker 3: There was definitely there were a couple of tables there from Brooklyn for sure. Yeah, yeah, and and then and everybody that was Italian most people, but you didn't have to be most people. You don't know how to You didn't have Paison Fest what was it, Paison Palooza, Guinea gang Bang or was it okay.
Speaker 2: Called Guinea Guinea bang Bang?
Speaker 3: That was Wasn't that a train in the Guinea git car? The Guinea Guinea bang Bang was a car? Was a car from car from Paison.
Speaker 2: The definition of paison scary Among people of Italian or Spanish descent, it means a fellow countryman or a friend, often as a term of address.
Speaker 3: So it really a friend or friend, right, So you could and there were definitely people in the room that were not Italian for sure.
Speaker 2: Huh huh. You know. The funny thing about Scary Joan Slices is that he sent me this Information's like, look where I'm going, And I was like, Oh, that seems like a place I would go. And then he sends me video and links to like all the food he's eating, and I'm like, why is he saying to me? Because he knows I would like that food. Huh.
Speaker 3: They have a company called Stretch the Mutz where they they made this mutz at a homemade MutS it out.
Speaker 2: Oh that's funny because that's my Doug's name.
Speaker 3: And then they and then they stretched the mozzadel across the big the world.
Speaker 2: Dog's name is Muzzadella. We call him Muzzie. I couldn't be more Italian unless I was.
Speaker 3: They stretched them across the table with of of of Italian meetpo palm heroes, a bunch of meatballs on a sandwich, and they they.
Speaker 2: Stretched then of meatballs. In the crowd. There was a bunch of yeah, meat polls everywhere. Yeah, you know, I sang a song about mutsie sticks. You did put my pisson once you did. We did a song. There was some concher peppe there and some pasta.
Speaker 3: There was some fried raviolis that Canol's fogatto for dessert.
Speaker 2: Italian things. You forgot what that for dessert figatto? No, you forgot what right, but you don't remember. It wasn't good enough, No, of course it was. It was a forgotto, but for dessert al fogatto. Well try to remember. I'm curious. Now, hello, who's on first?
Speaker 3: A figatto which is ice cream and and espresso mixed together.
Speaker 2: So you remember what it was? Yeah? Al figato? All right, it's called a figato. It's called shut up. Yeah, so there was that. There was a guy with a with a gelato truck.
Speaker 3: It was it was it was fun now and the canoli guys where they piped the canoli live right in front of you.
Speaker 2: Will you go? Yeah? It was the last time you piped a canoli, if you know what I'm saying. Yeah, well anyway, so by the way, the sponsor, because I've forgiven the.
Speaker 3: Old no no, no no, and then they didn't really yeah, this was more done out of love.
Speaker 2: It was, oh so you don't love me? Well, I got you.
Speaker 3: I thought about, man, how do I get How do I really explain what I want to say? How do I say what I want to say?
Speaker 2: I would have pretended my name was Vinnie for the night it's not about it's not about you not being Italian. It's more about Ah, it's a feeling blending with everybody. Yeah, not these people. Okay Island, Stetton Island is is uh is vertical, Staten Island is very uh very you know.
Speaker 3: We all everyone has like everyone in the crowd has a certain way of thinking, a certain mindset. And I feel like your mindset is not what their mindset is. And I feel like you would have, especially this especially this week, I feel that you personally, you would have had some problems. You would have you would have gotten into a fistfight er too. No, I never, I would never my Staten Island.
Speaker 2: I don't talk. I just there was even okay, even even the T shirt cannon guy.
Speaker 3: They they they start throwing shirts out, these red shirts that from his Italian deli that said make appetizers great again.
Speaker 2: That hilarious. Hilarious if you love that anyway. So yeah, so so Brody, I'm like, I'm like, you know what, let me spare Brody from this one.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to appreciate that. I don't want to be a douchebag. Not I was thinking about you though, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, you know what Italian dinner too, all right, no problem, I don't know you should. Oh my god, bro I love it. You know I love you, buddy. I'm gonna go to uh Jewfest and I'm gonna send you pictures of pastrami and corn beef and all the stuff you like. Like, Oh, why I couldn't I ask you? You know it's not right for you. It's not right. No. But anyway, by the way, uh, while you were out partying uh late, it reminded me that I was, uh well, reminds me that you and I do have plans this Sunday. We do.
Speaker 3: And now this is how I feel like a moment of redemption as I'm inviting you to come with me to the Jets game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a big asterisk next to it. What's the asterisk? Okay? So Scary invited me to go to a Jets game because he got he got two tickets, right, h And it's somewhat work related, so he has to go. Yeah, and he called me up. He goes Brodie, the first person I thought of, So I said, we listen. I don't know if I'm available as well. If you don't go, I got to go alone. I would love you to go. I said, really, have no one else to goes? Well, you know all my friends and Giants fans. If I had Giants tickets, I have one hundred people lined up. You're really not a Jets fan, I know. So I got invited by default because he has no one else would want to go to a Jets game. I'm a Jets fan. I don't really want to go to a Jets game. That's so bad they are.
Speaker 3: He's like, brod, you gotta go. You're a Jets fan. I thought of you first, you thought of me. Only don't you want to see your boy Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: He's not my boy and he's over the hill. They're terrible. The team is terrible. I sit home on my on my couch and the comfort of my warm home, and I watch the Red Zone channel. I watch all the games. I gotta I gotta go to a stadium, Nata. So he's like, where you go to go? You go to go, We'll get food, free food, we'll get food. I said, all right, I'm in all right, So really food is the highlight? Well you are the highlights. Scare of course, because there's nothing like spending time with my pies on.
Speaker 3: It's a free ticket to the Jet game, your ticket the team you love so much.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you find so much fault with so slices. You know, scared, you know the way he travels. Right, So I'm like, oh, we got a sweet. Uh No, but he'sa liked. Yeah, we're sitting outside outside in the cold. It's gonna be the Scary Tunes. I know it's gonna be sixty two degrees on Sunday. The Scary Jones I know has a sweet with like waiter service and chafing dishes. If I'm going to the game, I want to go boogie style. He's like, no, we're gonna be sitting now. We'll get hot dogs like hot dogs. Must sit outside for hot dogs. If I had access to a sweet, I would have invited Diamond from The Big Show. Yeah that's nice, that's nice. She is a Jets fan. She is a big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I figured you would, Brody, That's not true. You were my first choice.
Speaker 2: From the get I know Danielle's a Jets Fanly from the Jump is sort of but you're from the Jump all right. But speaking of Sunday mornings, I want to tell you what happened to me two Sunday mornings ago that I forgot to tell you about last week. When we come back, all right, can't wait for this one the Boys podcast, We will be right back. So it was two sundays ago. You guys will figure out what Sunday it was when I tell you the end of the story, but don't interrupt me. Scary. So I got pickleball on Sunday morning. So I have an alarm clock next to my side of the bed and I set it for So pickleball was at eleven. It takes me about fifteen twenty minutes to drive there, so I set my alarm for ten o'clock. This way, I get up, have a little breakfast, walk the dogs they haven't already been walked, and I leave. Okay, I'm on my own Sunday morning. My wife goes to food markets and shit early at whatever, so I'm waking up along the now. Walk the dog's a euphemism for something else. No, I wish it was. I got, you know, walk the dogs. In the bedroom. There's the alarm clock next to me, to my right, and on the dresser in front of us, where the television is with the televisions above. I have a an Echo show like an Amazon Wait, but with a screen which has a clock on it. Now, during the week, when I wake up late i'm alone, I usually set the Uh well, I set both. I set the Amazon. I say, hey, hey, Alexa setting alarm. Sorry, guys, I say, he's setting alarm for such and such time, right, So that's what I do. And then I have the clock next to me. That's just the clock. It's an alarm clock. But it also has a charging platform on top where i'd leave my phone. But I don't use that for the alarm. I use the Alexa for the alarm. So I say, Alexa, set an alarm for uh Sorry, guys, I'm fucking you up. But I tell it to set an alarm for ten am. That'll give me plenty of time to make it to pick a ball by eleven. Sure. So I hear the dogs are rustling around, and I wake up eos and the alarm hasn't gone off. So I look to my right to the alarm o'clock. Because when I go to bed, I tell I tell the Amazon unit, turn your screen off for the night, so that the light doesn't keep me awake. I go so that the echo show screen is off right because it's black. It's black, it's off. There's no clock, so I look to the right and my alarm clocks. Scary says ten. I got to be a pick a ball at eleven. So I'm like, holy shit, I got three minutes to get dressed and out of the house. So I quickly I throw on pants. I run downstairs with the dogs. I let them out on the deck. I'm like, guys, go peel on the deck. I run back up. I jump in the shower. No, no, no, really fast right, I build a haddriver. I got my clothes on, I'd laid them out the night before. I'm out, and now I'm gonna be like like ten minutes late to pick a ball. Oh my god, you were in a panic. I'm in a panic. So I I run out of the house and as I'm running out of the garage, I knock over stuff on one of the racks and it all falls down like like a waterfall TLC. So I'm getting in my car out of here and the garage does close, So you fuck. So I run back open the garage door. I fix everything in the I'm like, damn it, of all days to knock something down. I'm like, oh my god, I'm gonna be so late to pick a boy. I better call them. So I jump in the car and I start calling the pickle ball place. And now it's like, I gotta be it's already like five minutes. I gotta be that I'm fifteen minutes away. I'm in the car and I'm flying down the street and I look at the clock in my car, scary, and I think it's gonna say ten to fifty five, but it says nine to fifty five. Do you know why? This is daylight saving the end of daylight saving time, and every clock in my house automatically reset, mostly except if your long clock next to my bed, of course, because I forgot on Saturday night because I was busy and I didn't think of it. I'm usually I'm the guy I've always been in charge of the family, guy in charge of clocks. I set the stove, I set the oven, I mean the microwave oven. That's it. The stove, the microwave oven, and the wall clock are the only ones that aren't automatic, and the one next to my bed. So this whole panic now I'm an hour early. Scary, So I went home and the dogs were like, what the fuck are you doing home. That's the first time I don't know how long where I messed up the clock system and I got that, but I was in such a panic. I have never gotten dressed that quickly in my life. I am so think I leaped up in the air and landed in my pants. I'm done. I'm done with these time changes. If you google why we do it, there's never a good answer. No, there really isn't. It's supposed to be about the farmer, farmer the next hour, or to prevent accidents with the cars, because more accidents happen after dark.
Speaker 3: Listen, we're now to any sense. Now it's super dark at five o'clock. We're now on standard time. Okay, right, okay.
Speaker 2: The idea to go to daylight savings was a good idea. O S. Daylight daylight saving, great, but leave it there. We need to go to daylight.
Speaker 3: We need to spring ahead to daylight saving in the spring and never come back because I think that that provides the maximum amount.
Speaker 2: Of daylight. Well, it won't be getting dark at four thirty at night.
Speaker 3: More people are active, more people are active, well then, but then the people will have problems at the opposite end of the day, like in the morning.
Speaker 2: But my argument is always going to be fuck that. Who kids are going to go to school in the dark? Okay? You know something.
Speaker 3: Listen, There's more activity and more people out and more shit going on at the latter part of the day than the early part of the day. So that's you know, I don't ever want it to get dark before a quarter to six, because that would be the earliest it would get dark, like five point thirty. I can live with that for a month or so as as it finally shakes itself.
Speaker 2: Out and as as the months roll by. But it's getting dark at four thirty.
Speaker 3: Fucking it's in January, when is the dead of winter, the dead of winter, it will be four to thirty, will be That's awful.
Speaker 2: So in twenty twenty two, the Senate passed a bill YEP called the Sunshine Protection Act, and that has to go to the House of Representatives to vote on yes. The House of Representatives changed over as it does every two years in twenty twenty two, and since the other party is in charge of the House of Representatives, nobody has voted on the bill. It has not come to the floor yet. Oh so what hasn't even been on the floor.
Speaker 3: No, no, let's get that bill on the damn floor and let's pass it. Did I think this is the bipartisan issue here. Aren't we all in favor of this? There are some naysayers. There are some people that are gonna be.
Speaker 2: Like, well, the problem is is my kids have to catch them by. I said, I don't want them going to school in the dark.
Speaker 3: That's that's the argument against against not changing against Marco.
Speaker 2: Rubio, current senator in Florida, who was just nominated to be Secretary of State, which he's probably gonna get, was the guy who proposed it. He put the he sponsored the bill. I mean, he's at the sun time, he's going to be leaving the House of Representatives. He's gonna be leaving the Senate rather but nobody on the House wants to pick the bill up. So call your local representatives, the governor. No he's not the Santis is the governor Florida. Marco Rubio's I'm sorry, I know my politics. I know I don't but okay. So Rubio sponsored it the Senate through unanimous consent was like, nobody disagrees. Sounds good to us, and they passed it onto the House and the House just killed it. It's been sitting there, hasn't come up for a vote. So call your local congressman and women and tell him, hey, I would like the Sunshine Protection Act to be passed.
Speaker 3: Let's get that on your life. Get that on the floor, folks, right right to your congressman.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, speaking of daylight saving time, no s Someone I know who works in radio said, if the NFL was smart, Now, the NFL, every weekend, or almost every weekend and a lot of weekends, they have a game played in Europe. And because of the time difference, which is I think six hours yep, they play the game at nine o'clock three pm here and that makes it three point thirty there. Okay, So this person posts the same weekend I had the drama with the clocks, daylight saving weekend. He says, if the NFL was smart, they would schedule a game that morning so we would get an extra hour of sleep. Okay, I wonder why they don't do that. So if someone guy wrote because the NFL stupid, oh you're brilliant. That's a brilliant idea. Why don't they do that so we get an extra hour sleep? No, you don't. First of all, you know you do. If nothing changed, you'd have to get up at eight thirty in the morning for the game, not nine thirty. But it's the same time in reality. No, right, Yeah, but you've slept an extra hour in the night, Yes you have. Yeah, scary, hold on, well, well, okay, scary you still if you wake up at nine thirty, Okay, if the game is at three point thirty in England or in Germany where where the game was right and it's nine thirty here, if our clocks change, the game is going on at the same time regardless. Yes, they don't move the game in Europe they don't. But right, so if you wake up at eight thirty our time, which used to be nine thirty, it's the same.
Speaker 3: Because they don't have they don't have daylight savings over there. They don't live in their clocks, and they're not moving the game. They don't move the clocks.
Speaker 2: They don't move the game. The physical game happens in reality at the same time at three point thirty their time, which is still nine thirty our time, or eight thirty if you move your clock back, but it doesn't change if you go to bed at midnight scary. Okay, and the game is at nine thirty. Okay, okay, you're gonna sleep how many hours? Say it again. If you would have been at midnight, yeah, and the games at nine thirty, you'd normally sleep. You wake up nine and a half hours later nine thirty, yes, but nine half hours. But I'm getting ten and a half hours of sleep. You aren't getting ten and a half hours. Yes, because because they're moving the clocks. They're moving the clock at two in the morning. But scary. When you wake up at nine thirty, right, the gab will have already been on for an hour. The game's not for an hour. It doesn't change what happens in Europe. This guy's like, oh, you get an extra hour of sleep, The NFL should do that. It doesn't change anything. It's still happening at the same time in the world. Even though your clock's moved. Germany doesn't care what time your clock's moved. Your body doesn't care. If you didn't have a clock, you'd still be waking up at the same time nine and a half hours after you woke up, after you went to bed. What the clock says is irrelevant. The game is going on in Germany at the same.
Speaker 3: Exact time, at the same damn time. It would be tenth, it would be tenth thirty. No, no, your.
Speaker 2: Clock says eight thirty, but it's still nine thirty to your change the clock is the game is still happening at that time in the world. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But if they if they moved the clocks with us, but they don't.
Speaker 2: But if they did, see, now that's I know. You think America controls the world, but they don't. As America the only country in the world that does time changes, to my knowledge, it's only maybe one of a couple because if.
Speaker 3: They did, had they just hypothetically speaking though, if they also did the time change, then we would be getting the hour at the extra hour, then we.
Speaker 2: Would feel I'm looking at the countries that have daylight saving time. Hold on, let me see Bahamas, Cuba, Bermuda, Greenland, Haiti, Mexico, Australia, Canada, Saint Pierre and Miguelian Michellan never heard of that. Turks and Caicos, Faroe Islands, Nicaragua, Paraguay, United States, Bosnia and Herzegovia, Egypt, European Union, Israel and New Zealand. So not Germany, not England. What's the European Union. They're what you said, European Union. Yeah, that's all that's Oh wait a minute, maybe that does include Germany. Ah well, let me see when they change it. Hold on, so there you go. You said European said it, but they still aren't changing the time of the game is my point? Doesn't the game play? No, but you will feel no.
Speaker 3: But now you'll feel refreshed, and now the extra hour will matter.
Speaker 2: Slices. No, I'm looking out.
Speaker 3: Why don't you clog up our talkbacks with this wonderful topic which is going to go on for which I can already feel for five more episodes. Hook us up with a talkback. I'm telling you you're wrong. If you are wrong, If the European Union is part of the time change, then you will feel refreshed and you.
Speaker 2: Will have happy union. European Union changes their clocks on October first, so it doesn't effect. Doesn't effect okay, doesn't affect Slices. You don't need to do anything. All right, I'm tired. Can we go home? You should get lost an hour asleep because the daylight saving, I mean, that wore me out. I can't stand that that last, that thinking, critical thinking did I yeah, all right, all right, well I'm sorry that occasionally have to do some critical things made my brain hurt. You live in Hudson County, Okay. So I was in Hudson County, oh a few days ago, and there was a police car stopped at the intersection going left and right, and I'm going up north south. So let's say it was going east west, and uh, somebody went what was going through the red light? And they stopped short and they waved to the car like I'm sorry, officer, I you know. They they had to backup. They almost went through the red light. Oof. And I looked at the police car and it said Hudson County Waits and Measures. No. What is that? They're a government agency that goes around to make sure that any official scales are accurate. H that they check scales. It doesn't matter. They they check scales like a truck stops at places that that sell things by the pound, like official places. But they're not going into the Delian Way making sure the cull cut machine is calibrated. It's a white it's a white car with a blue stripe and it said Hudson County Waits and Measures. But it looks like a police card. It lights on it. Oh, that's awesome, that's but the postal the postal police scares the ship out of you.
Speaker 3: The postal police. Also, they're not cops. They're not and nothing to do. They don't have badges, they don't have guns.
Speaker 2: Right, but people like pull over, they slow down on the highway and like that.
Speaker 3: Oh, for the for the postal for the postal police, someone are gonna pull you over and write your letter. Hey, put a stamp on your license. I still want to know, now what these what the weights and measures people? What do they investigate? What do they you know? What's to tell you? I looked it up previously. I'll look it up again. Hold on a second.
Speaker 2: It's like one of those old timey things. No, no, no, no, no, no, Hudson County Weights and Measures. Mh. They can't be more of one of those in the county. Uh. The office is responsible for enforcing pricing rules. Responding to price gouge and complaints. Oh all right, hold on, let me see what else Alon Weights and Measures on Office of Weights and Measures. Here it is, here we go. I'll tell you right now what it says, hold on Hudson County to protect consumers, front on scrupulous business practices and maintain equity in the marketplace. Consumers can rest assured. Blah bah blah uh yeah they check here we go. Inspects all commercially used devices from prescription pharmacy, bounces the large capacity truck sales that a petition. The office is responsible for testing fuel meters at gas stations, airplane fueled trucks located in their laser guns. Radar tuning forks were used for speed enforcement. So yeah, anything to do with weights, anything that measures, they could check it. Like so like all the speed guys with the speed guns, all the cops they got to check their guns. So weights and they can't give you a ticket though, So don't don't worry about when you see them. You have to slow down. Yeah. Yeah, people were like freaking out and my and my ways, my ways said there was a police car there. There was it. Weights and Measures was parked on the corner like it was double pot. I've gotten sighted down before. I definitely yes, you did by me. Yeah, yeah, I thought that you because you you you drive a car that looked like it's a Chevy. No, you think I drive a Chevy. You drive a Chevrolet? What? No? What I mean?
Speaker 3: You know you've been in my car. We've talked about my car endless times, right out of the slices. You know, you drive a charger. But it's like, has that look that Dodge has that look.
Speaker 2: But police cars are Dodge chargers, American made cars. And I'm like, ah, I'm like, well my god, I'm like what is this and it's black car. Yeah, but police cars are actually the same car. It's not like an American thing. It's not like it looks like other car chargers or police cars. So one day we're pulling out of the garage when we work downtown together and Scary made the turn, made the light, and I was behind him and I didn't make the light. And then he turned right on the side street. I made the I made the turn, and then I made another turn. I came on the turn pretty quickly. He saw my car fly around the turn. He thought he did something wrong. He pulled over, like, what are you doing? He goes, oh, I thought you were a cop. I was behind him at the stops two blocks ago. Scary Jones ladies and gentlemen got pulled over by his friend in a car that's all black with no lights on. I see that. I get a little suss. But once you saw the car three minutes ago when we were talking and I got into it, I have listen, We've all been fooled before.
Speaker 3: Also, when you see a police van, are they gonna pull you over? A lot of people say no, because it's for different purposes. I've seen official police vans.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, hey, that's more transport. I think so too.
Speaker 3: But there are cars that will, you know, refuse to go ahead of it, or try it outrun it, or do something weird.
Speaker 2: In front of it, because they can still call your plate into the car that the police car up ahead. I'm sure they can pull you over. But they're not catching me in my charger though, So if they don't see the license plate, I'm gone dune. Yeah, van, I know there's vans with big engines. I know slcenes.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, but they don't. You don't really see that you don't see or the police on the scooter.
Speaker 2: They're not chasing. No.
Speaker 3: My father was like, scooter scooter cop parking enforcement. That doesn't bother you. Right, you're not you're not, You're not like deterred by Well, if I'm moving, how they're gonna catch me. They're parking. I'm not parking. If I'm doing ninety and a thirty, that's not parking. Yeah, there's the single person police vehicles with.
Speaker 2: The big box behind it, the big storage box y the storage. And then I catch them and they call again. They can call in for backup, they can call ahead. I guess. Uh, we got a guy in a car that looks like a Chevy card and scary, but it's really a dodge charge. Yeah, pretty much. You laugh, You do it? Hey, Speaking of driving and and and and people getting pulled over, I came to Uh. I was second in line behind a h a small SUV, and I had a lot of bumper stickers on the back. There was a lot of bumper stickers. You don't, I don't read them. You read them. I do it all the bumper stick I sure do. If you stopped at a red light, you might read a bumper sticker correct, But if you're at a if you're at a a stop sign or a red light in New Jersey, I was today. I was stopped today. But there's no right turn on red in Staaten Island, so when it's a red light, you're stuck right. Yeah, what anything good on the bumper stickers? Anything funny?
Speaker 3: It was just yeah, it was stopped at a red light, and the bumper sticker in front of me said Trump.
Speaker 2: I was just Allen. That makes sense. He's very popular there. But look funny about it? No, I mean, it was just no. The bumper stickers that I that I see. You're talking about the smart ass ones that have well, is it funny, it's clever, it's rude. Nothing. If you could read this, you're too clu Anyway, My point is I got behind this car and I don't know it had a bunch of bumper stickers on the trunk. But in New Jersey it's right turn on red. So if you're second in the car in front of you stops at the red light and it's and there's no cause coming, you expect them to turn. I've talked about this, yes you have. So the car is sitting there so I beeped the horn. They don't move. I'm in a hurry. I beat the horn again. The driver gets out and he says, hey, read the bumper sticker. He is, look at a bumper sticker. It's a student driver in the car. The guy got out the passenger side. So I said, I was best friend's ride. Yeah, trying to holler at you holler at me? He did so, I said, so ill I rolled on me win and I go, I'm not reading bumper stickers. You got ten bumper stickers on there. Well, am I gonna go looking for the one that is a student driver? How about you teach the kid how to make it right on red? He wasn't very happy with me, got in the car and they sat there at the red light till it changed. Wow, if you're a student driver, have one big bumper sticker with like red lines on it that says student driver. Have something on the window student driver that I can't listen. If you're a student driver, I get it. We've all been there. I was a student driver. Scared of student my kids with student drivers. Yeah, nothing but respect for student drivers. But don't expect me to read all your bumper stickers I bring for deer. I love camping, you know, coexist. I can't read all your bumper stickers. Just give me one that says student driver, and I'll be like, oh, student driver, no problem, I'll wait. Am I wrong? No, you're not wrong. You're not wrong, Thank you, thank you. And it wasn't even like it was the top left corner the way it was in the middle, mixed in the things that noy the fun out of you. Man. I gotta say, you want to know. I saw a bumper stick on my way to pick up ball the other day and it said, well, don't blow your horn at me. I left on time, did it really? And yeah? And that's when it dawned on me. That's why I get aggravated because I leave because I leave at the exact moment, so if anything happens, that's smart.
Speaker 3: I love that. That's amazing. See that's a bumper sticker that I'd put on my cohen.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I I don't trust the bumper stick Let me tell you something. Would I always leave? I'm not good at leaving.
Speaker 3: And that was that was the next thing I was gonna say, is really right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: But do people even put bumper stickers on their cars. I mean I see them here and there, but I don't see them as much as they used to. I mean, a lot of cars are leases. You don't want to have to scrape that fucking thing off.
Speaker 2: I've never put a bumper sticker on on any of my car. I put things in the window because you can't get them off. It takes a certain kind of person to even put a bumper sticker on a car. I think it depends on the kind of car you have and how old it is, and if you're covering up a dem if it's an old GALOPPI I'm sure, but not a jaloppy. But look, if you have a mini van, I'm just trying to think. I don't magnets. My wife always put magnets on the cart. My daughter is a gymnast, magnet stuff like that. The school they went to, which I was, I was like, no, and so I never did that. But you know what, my Dodg's charger saved me because the trunk is a giant tail light that goes across the whole trunk. Okay, and the magnets never fit because they were taller than the space left on the truck. Ah, so your daughters could never put a magnet on the car. They go right to day. Want you put a magnet on the car? I'd love to. It would be great because fit doesn't fit. Also doesn't fit with the motif of my Dodge charger. But no, so you know, so I would put something in the window. Not a problem. But as far as like magnets and bump there was never any right and people yelling.
Speaker 3: At me because I had the audacity to put a front license plate on my car. I have a BMW and it's all grill and it's.
Speaker 2: Right, and then there's that hole, and they're like, wow, that's blasphemy, that's how could you do that? And I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get a fucking ticket, because in the state of New Jersey or New York, you need a front you need a front license plate. And I know there's some people listening in other states right now where it's not mandatory and most people just have a backplate and that's it.
Speaker 2: Not in New York. In New Jersey, so too many cars here, too many accidents, and you need to have to make sure the cameras pick up the front in the back of the car. Plus he passed holes. Read the front license plate, don't they Yes, the back, it's the back, man, it's the back. Always stayed the picture of the back. But I had to take a rivet gun and I had to poke holes in the FIA my charger because it because it's a rubber bumper, not not a baby a baby bumperk No, So I had to listen. It was the first two days I had the car, or the first month. When you have the temporary license, it's in the window, you're fine. But once those plates arrived, I was like, oh, I got to put a yellow. The New Jersey has the worst plates, we really do. They're yellow at black lettering awful and and like it's terrible. Like even the Garden State Parkway logo is green. You couldn't make the plates green. Yellow is just awful. What an awful color? Yellow sucks? I mean, New York has red, white and blue. They've had Statue of Liberties, Empire state buildings, they've had orange and blue, because you know, New York is orange and blue. Those are the colors in New York. But New Jersey is the Garden State. And I'm like, why yellow? Then make it green. When I was a kid, the license plates in New Jersey were blue and yellow. They were blue and yellow. Yeah, they were like royal blue or but even that was cooler than this. Yeah, terrible yellow. Awful. Who do I have to vote for to get you to get non yellow plates? I have to call. I'll call anybody. These are the things that bother you in a daily day. Bother you. You brought it up. I had holes of my dodge charge. I won't know. I had not about the color of the goddamn plate though, I don't care. I hate it. The only thing is the yellow and black plates. This motif is not doesn't go with my beamur It's motif yellow blacks and go with your your blue car. I have a black car, so it goes with it. You know what I'm talking about. Florida has an orange on it. It's colorful. It's like Florida looking colors. You know, it's a teal or green whatever. It's a pretty looking there's like, yeah, some states have great looking plates New Jersey, but Philly has the keystone. Philly's orange and blue also, isn't it? Yeah? It was for while I don't know color it is now, but it was orange and blue right all right? So what else is? What else is going on? Oh? I didn't talk about Veterans Day? Can I mention that real quick? I just want to It was a big deal. It was a huge deal. Did I mention it on the podcast? And my dad was going that I got my dad and I do not remember that my dad and his friends because of the Wounded Warriors Project, Uh, they got to and they got invited onto what was going to be the Wounded Warriors Project float in the parade through me, and I thought it was awesome, but they were like, we want to upgrade your dad, and we want to actually put your dad and his friends VIP style in a military vehicle that was actually in combat in the Korean War, the back of a truck which had like a machine gun in it. Like obviously no, AMMO, but my fu so my father and is you know who served in Vietnam in the Navy along with his friend Harold and Mike Dippolato and these guys. Nick given shout outs to his friend's names like their sponsors, well the Nikki you know, more Italians, you know, Pysons. They were all the Python Fest lessons. They all basically, you know, they all worked. You know, they've all, i'm sorry, served our country veterans. Right. So my dad, you know, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I was marching in the parade and I was three minutes ahead of him, and I'm like the whole time, I'm like, I wonder how he fared. There were twenty thousand people out there that day.
Speaker 2: There were signs, there were signs of people thank you, thank you for your services.
Speaker 3: They were I saw people crying in the crowd. Yeah, it was. It was really touching. I had never really been there to the veterans dy parade. When I got to the end of the parade, I'm like, let me double back here and stand in the street and wait for my father's vehicle to come by. And I'm thinking they would just go to be four bumps on the log just enjoying the ride.
Speaker 2: Oh no, my father and his three friends were standing up, waving like the queen, waving back and forth. Yeah, at the top, right behind the camp of the truck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were in the back of All four of them were standing up and they were greeting the crowd. The crowds was screaming at them, and then afterwards I took them for a steak dinner at Del Frisco.
Speaker 2: And we're all while sitting down and we're all eating and they, you know, they couldn't believe it. They were like, Wow, why didn't you bring Brody for the steak dinner. I knew you were gonna I knew you were gonna say that, but no, they've never experienced that love before, they feel.
Speaker 3: My father thought first of all, that there wasn't He says, I thought people forgot about the Veterans Day parade. I thought I didn't think I thought there was gonna be like, you know, twenty people out here.
Speaker 2: I said, no way, he goes he couldn't believe. He was beside himself.
Speaker 3: He says it was the most one of the most exhilarating things he's done on his life. And to be honored like that all these years later, I must have felt so good for these guys to be like, Wow, that's pretty damn cool that people remember us. So yeah, it was a it was a moment I was in my fields.
Speaker 2: The video was awesome watching your dad and his friends waving. It looked like like you during the Puerto Rican Day parade or any of the many parades we've been on floats like that's how that's how we got treated for being in radio. They did something real, like they served our country and went to war, and they deserved a parade. And we've been in so many parades over the years. It was nice in the parade in the in the UH playing Puerto Rico a Puerto Rico. Frankie Cutler, what are you talking about that? The perto Rican Day parade.
Speaker 3: Every yeah, every forty five seconds we were that's all I did, and yell into a microphone over and over again.
Speaker 2: I mean, we didn't, you know. But it's a just it's a it's a.
Speaker 3: It's what it's the difference between us and them, right, I mean I don't I don't feel like I need to be honored for for doing that seeing.
Speaker 2: The radio people, radio people, right right, right, right, yeah, right, that's all that's alsost kind of cool. No, they deserved the parade and and and to be thanked for for for you know, willingly doing that. Yeah, yeah, they did.
Speaker 3: So they deserve their steak dinner, Brodie, They certainly did. They deserve dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My dad was was in the army. But he uh, he served between the Korean War and the Vietnam War. He was stationed in Germany. Uh, and he jumped out of a plane like, oh my god, like now I'm the last person even going like certain roller coasters that are frightening. But uh yeah, yeah, yeah, he served and uh he never did the parade though he went to the parades. Yeah, but he never never got to ride in a truck like that. That's very cool. He did it for your dad. There was one there was one guy in his his crew did not show he has and he has two purple hearts, and he just has a negative view of military and everything. And I don't know for whatever reason, they're some people are not anyone who knows knows that when the veterans came back from the Vietnam War, they would not treated well by the American public. Okay, So he was one of those. And I just wish he would have showed up because and by the way, that's what Born in the USA is about. Oh the song American song. Yeah, people always play that song. They're like, yeah, they played at rallies and whatever, like oh yeah America. Listen to the lyrics. Yeah, Well, it's really it's really about how badly retreated the troops. A lot of it is about that. It's not a pro necessarily American song. Wow, but yeah, they were not treated well.
Speaker 3: I wanted that guy to come and see what I think. He would have had a different take today. He would have gotten his flowers, as they.
Speaker 2: Say, but he did not show. So yep and listen. I don't want to make this too serious of a podcast, but it's nice that people listen. If you whoever disagreed with that war, don't disagree with the people that went right, like disagree to people. But at the time, they took their anger about the war out on the soldiers and the people in the military.
Speaker 3: See that happening, I can't see, I mean, because I don't. We didn't live that. I mean, it was a different generation, but it was a generation it was anti guys. You got to read, you can do the research.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to be wrong. You know, if I'm a little off, you don't have to correct me. I'm doing my best. But there was a ground swell of people that did not want us to be in that war. They didn't think we should be involved, and they didn't think it was just and they heard stories about awful things that were being done. And so when listen, when World War Two ended, those people came home as heroes, they liberated the world or whatever. But the Korean War and the Vietnam War, they were not treated as well. And it's nice that they're being treated as the troops. They don't make policy, they're doing what they can to defend the country. They follow waters and blah blah blah. That being said back to the fund in the podcast, But nothing but respect for the military, those who have served in those who let their family members serve and stayed home so they could serve. Thank you for tying that up into a nice bow. David Brodie. Yeah, I'm the son of a man who served as a in the military and as a police officer. I understand service, son of a bitch, from the time my dad was eighteen. For most of his life he served the country and the public public servant, and I used to do prank phone calls and write song parties. So we salute you. I feel like it would not be a complete episode if I didn't have a pickleball story. And I have to say, I am getting so much feedback on social media. We have so many pickleball players who listen to us all the time. Really yeah, they're like, oh my god. They send me videos. Now did you see this?
Speaker 3: If I don't know, I feel like I documented it. I chronicled it on this podcast two or three years ago. When I played pickleball and you all made fun of me. I think you made fun of me. The Big Show made fun of me, and they're like, pickleball, what's that meaning? Like it was, it hadn't really broken out as a national thing. It was still being played primarily in Florida, and I had gone to Delray Beach and I talked about my experiences playing pickleball, and I believe Slices backed me up here.
Speaker 2: I believe Bertie Men. I remember the conversation.
Speaker 3: Saying it wasn't a real saying it wasn't a real sport. They're like, wait a second, so it's like tennis but not you don't have to.
Speaker 2: You don't have to move very much. And I'm like, yeah, it's basically so.
Speaker 3: And somebody called me out and I'm like, yeah, what was the show?
Speaker 2: I don't remember, Like I may have, I don't know. I pick on you. So I don't remember, I will tell you. I busted my ass. What's today? Recording this? On Friday Wednesday, I played and I busted my ass. I had a so I'm in a certain level. And then so when when you play this is usually a range like oh, two seven five to three, right, and so when you when you play two seven, five to three this, I played with the person who had just become two seven to five, but I'm at three. So the other people I was playing with were three. So she was like, I don't know if I can play with you guys, I don't know what is the reason. It's a rating system. It means you were a certain sah two and up to three. You start basically at two. Okay. Anyway, so balls were getting past her and I'm on the left side. I ran all the way to the left in the corner and hit a ball over the net, and then was running back to the middle to get my spot back, and then a ball got past her. I kept running and went all the way to the right side and lunged and got the ball back. At that point, she's supposed to switch and cover the left side, but she didn't know to do that. So she stayed on the right side. So then a ball got hit to where I used to be on the left side, and I had to fly back to the other side and and and lunge and just get the bulb. So I ran all over the place to cover for her, because there's certain rules, not strategy. If your partner comes goes all the way to one side, you have to move to the middle to Okay, sure she didn't do that. So I was running back and forth like a maniac. So if you think that pickle ball doesn't evolve a lot of running, oh it does. It can. It can involve a lot of running. I did a lot of run. If the other part, if your partner doesn't do their share, it can well if they don't know that to move the way you're supposed to move when your two people on a court. In otherwords, if I go behind her to hit a ball that was over her head, then you got she's got to move to the left side and switch. And I yelled switch. But she didn't know what that meant. But she should have known what that meant, because by that point in two seven five, you should know to switch. My point is there's a lot of running. So anyway, a Sunday or Monday of last week, I played with my my At the time, I was you know what, I just got bumped to three On Sunday, I got reevaluated. So I played last Friday and I was still a two seven five. So I finished up with my two seven five team. Two hours I played, and as I'm leaving this this this guy comes over to me and he says, hey, excuse me, are you just coming in? Are you leaving? So I said, well, I just played, I'm leaving. My two hours is done. He says, well, we only got three players here. Somebody canceled. He goes, you want to fill in? So I said yeah, sure, So I said what ranking are you guys? He says three two five. Oh, so I know I can hang with them. So I go, oh, well I'm two seven five. That's great, So as long as you know you're fine with that. He goes three seven five, Ah, we'll try to keep up with you, my friend. So I said no, no, no, I said two seven five, not three seven five, And he goes the on his face scary. He just his face dropped because he thought I was three seven five. I'm two seven five at that time, and he goes, oh, all right, are you Then he goes, are you Are you a bash guy? You look like a bash guy. What a bash guy is the kind of guy who he slams everything. Every ball you could possibly slam into the ground, you slam. But the strategy and pick a ball. Sometimes you want to just nick the ball over the net. So because of your opponents all the way back, you just dip over the net and they can't get it because they got to run up for it. But guys who are bashed guys, if the balls in the air, they'll go oh boom, like they'll kill it, like you know, I'm gonna kill them, like you know, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, he says, you look like a bash guy. So I said, what does a bash guy look like? This? I said exactly and more importantly, I only bashed when necessary, Like there are times you have to hit the ball hard. He says, Yo, Well, don't bash, because we have to. We have to dink and dunk. It's strategy here. Dinking dunk, Yeahkdinking is is when you just you're you're close to the net and you softly hit it over the net, so it drops near the net yep, and you so both sides are like them, you're drinking and dunking. Okay, he goes, we play with strategy at three point twenty five. Also, if a ball is going out, I'm gonna yell at you, don't hit it. So I said, hey man, because if the ball's flying like really hard and fast, if you sound like a party, sounds like I really want to play with them. No, right, So I go, hey man, I'm two seven five. I'm not a fool. Okay, I'm not two. I know the rules. He goes, all right, man, try to keep up. Okay, first of all, I fucking kept up. But this guy I want to refer to as here we go, howie. So every time he served, he goes, all, here we go.
Speaker 3: He's getting ready, he's gearing up, right, That's that's how he starts it up.
Speaker 2: That's how he right. There's nothing wrong with that. So then we alternate serves right, So he loses the point. Here we go, here we go. He looks at me, he goes, he gives me like you know what, like you wave somebody on in trap, like you go first, right, He looks at me. He goes, here we go, Here we go. I go, what do you like? I don't need you to say, here we go. I know it's supposed to serve. And he said when he serves, he's a Now he goes, here we go, he announces he's doing it. He's like, we know you're serving. We see your arm moving, so fuck you. Here we go, howie? Oh come on? And I kept up with them. I played just as well as the three point two fives fucking guy. Here. We're going to tell you what. So we played. He's like, don't hit it. It's going out scared with a ball is ten feet over my head and I can't reach it. You don't need to tell me not to hit it. I can't hit it. Fuck you. Here we go, howie, here we go, Here we go, Here we go. It's all characters, man, it's all. It's all. There's a lot of nice people. I really like it. Yeah, but within every every ten, there's one where you go, you know. Okay, So one last thing about pickleball. When do you tell me what you would do? Scary? Uh huh? So remember I tell you about the woman who just got to two seven five? Yes, So I'm playing with all threes. So when you lose, the two people at lost move on to the to another court. Whoever ended next you go and you split. So, uh, let's say her name was was Susan, the girl, the girl who is new neewer Susan? And I lose why because she's new? And we go to another court where they're supposed to split. It's a woman and a guy, and we come over and we we just go to whatever random side we choose to go to. Now there's a there's a big guy on one side and a woman on the other side. Okay, okay, we'll call We'll call her Amy. And so when I come on the court with Susan, who's clearly not as good as the rest of us, she goes to stand next to the woman Amy, and I'm like, all right, I'll play with the big guy. So then Amy says, now that's not fair. Nope, this isn't gonna work. Well, who, like, what are you talking? Who's to say? Well, apparently she is, So she says, yeah, Susan's and you two guys are both you both good? So, uh, yeah, you guys can't play together. I'm sorry. Ohthough, she's just judging. Did just just calling it out arbitrarily. She's not on our level, so it's not fair. I'm not playing with her her face.
Speaker 3: Wow, they don't mind insulting each other that way? Huh sorry, I mean because honestly, that's I mean, you you say that in someone's face, it's just so insulting.
Speaker 2: So I say, Amy, we're not here to win every game. When I'm playing in a tournament for a trophy. I said, Susan's good, she's good, she's fighting. No, I don't like her serve. I saw it's not a good serve. What caddy bitches man. So Susan's like, all right, I'll go play with the other. Oh that's not cool. So I got stuck playing with am so I was like, no, fuck, I said, you know what. So the only option me to play Susan again. And now you're being Braddy, So who cares? No, I wasn't being braddy. I played with Susan because I volunteered to play with her. She's like, no, you and I played already David, so I have to play with I'm not gonna say the guy's name. I'm gonna play with the big guy. So I was like, yeah, but I just played with Susan. No, I'm not. It's not fair, scary. You played till eleven Susan and I won eleven seven. Wow over over. Amy has to play with the big guy, so you never know who you're playing with or who's gonna win. But fuck you Amy if you see amye right, yeah, so if you see Amy, because how fucking fucked up is that. That's like if you're choosing sides for like a baseball game, and remember in the playground you always choose upsides, and like, you know, scared, you always pick lass, right, so you know what heay what? Not all the time? Not all the time. I wasn't picked first, but uh, you know when I played at camp, like day camp, uh huh, they would do stuff like, all right, well we'll take we'll take Jimmy, but you have to give us an extra two runs to start the game in front of Jimmy, Like Jimmy was so bad. They were like, you have to give us runs. It will take Jimmy, but you have to give us an extra well start the game winning to nothing. Nah, how fucking cruel is that? That's that's basically what Amy did to Susan. Yeah, I can't play with hers, not on our level. You have to play with her. You have to eat it out. You guys feel like we're a bitch of children here. Really, I feel like I feel like we're a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of twelve year olds. You guys have not graduated from being twelve. No consideration, no decency. You guys are awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's terrible. It's supposed to be a fun sport. I'm not playing with her. I don't like her. Serve with Sari and Brodie. We're flying by today. What's going on here? Well, you hit the commercials so fast. I forgot to ask the slices to do a little homework. Oh, we were talking about when I say, you know, getting picked last, or or calling out another pick a ball player that they saw to their face. When you played, when you were younger, even as an adult, were you ever like on teams choosing up sides or in a team sport where you got picked last, or you were the guy picking and you had to pick someone last, and uh, they sucked. You don't want them on your team because they were really really bad. Or were you that person that was really really bad and got picked last, and then what did you do? Leave us talk back? Did you? Were you great? And they didn't realize it because you were overweight? But you were great and they just assumed that you weren't any good. So let me let me know, leave us talk back. Okay. So I got a I got a meme sent to me from from one of the slices, and I thought it was it was pretty good. Let me see if I can pull that up here. It made me laugh. It was from Oh the kick Loough from justin Oh. Yeah. It says a new rule. If I order my food standing up at a counter, I am not tipping.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let me think of when that would be. Oh, pretty much pretty much anywhere? Uh right, anywhere except for sitting at a restaurant. Right, you're not tipping Chipotle?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know, man, I think, uh, if you're carrying your food to your own table, what.
Speaker 3: If I'm what if I'm ordering it standing up and they give me one of those stands with the number on it and I go sit at my table and then they delivered to the table.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you tip? Then you have to hand them a dollar bill or whatever or whatever. Two dollars.
Speaker 3: I think that counts because it's too late to add it to the jack. What if you carry the food to the table, but they bust your table.
Speaker 2: That's after the fact, you after you leave. Oh you mean they clean your table off before you sit down. Yeah, well that happened to me. Yeah, I'm on tipping certain places. I went to Yardhouse, which I love, and the hostess said, I said, how long for a booth? She said, oh, like twenty minutes. I get your table right away. Ah, I kind of want a booth. She's, well, I have a booth right there, but it just has to be cleaned off. I'm like, oh, wait, you clean the booth off. That's fine. So she took a rag and a spray bottle. She cleaned it off and then threw the menus down. Well, there's no way to tip harsh. She's not the waitress, right, and I didn't have any cash on me, so that's like a thank you. But that that that's that's off topic. Though I didn't oweer a tip, did I? She cleaned the table, She's supposed to clean it. I mean, buses clean tables, that's what they do.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's not a black and white situation where it's like, if I'm standing up to order, no tip. I mean I like that as a general rule, but that's not necessarily that.
Speaker 2: There's an example of a place where you'd stand up at a counter or drive through or whatever and you feel off, I gave you one. Where where would the cashier get it?
Speaker 3: No, like if they give you your umbreen around, if there's if there's preparation involved in making your.
Speaker 2: Food, they're just every restaurant, which is.
Speaker 3: It's not like it's coming off a conveyor belt, right, Like, let's face it, the fast food spots.
Speaker 2: Somebody put the burger in the microwave. Yeah, you don't take it and pay the salary right when I'm going to listen if I'm going to the bathroom, and then the guy turns the water on for me and I and I washed my hands and he squirted a soap in my hands, and then he hands me a towel and then opens the door for me, so I don't have to touch the door with all the germs on it. That guy's getting a tip. What if you go in though, and as you walk into the sink, you go, I'm good. Then he's you don't need his.
Speaker 3: Help, and then then he's got that array of candy and mint and things, and then you know you're expected to tip on that, and that's kind.
Speaker 2: If he helps me, I I give him a dollar, A dollar, I don't. I don't walk all with money. Two dollars, three dollars. Maybe he takes if he takes Google pay, I can tap.
Speaker 3: My phone list. Now they have all the they have the QR codes sitting right there. There's there's you can't get out of not you can't get out of tipping by not having cash anymore because everyone's got the QR code on display.
Speaker 2: They were panhandlers out out by Javit Center. When I went to Comic Con, they were like venmo medium right, Like you got a bank account? What are you? Yeah? Okay, I am not a fan. Okay, scary. How about this this there's a convenience store. Who's by the way, who's the the Kicklow real Kicklow? Yeah? Justin? I love him, good guy, Yeah Justin? Okay, I love you, brother.
Speaker 3: But there, seriously, I think that it's a case by case situation.
Speaker 2: You go to McDonald's. Are you tipping at McDonalds? Are you tipping at Chipotle? No, okay, So how about this at the convenience store where I sometimes go for late night milk, like we need milk, like, go get milk. Or it's where they sell lottery tickets. So the guy stands behind the counter with the bulletproof glass and it's a little opening and that's where the cigarettes are behind the counter and the lottery tickets. Whatever. If I go up, let's say I want to buy milk, maybe some ring dings, you know, late night snack whatever. Yep, he's got an iPad screen on a pedestal and he takes your card, He taps the card and he turns the screen around for a tip.
Speaker 3: What the fuck? Well, yeah, we've talked about this. It's the swivel, the eyepill, the iPad swivel l tip. No, because I'm not a convenience so a lot of these places, it's it's it's a it's a guilt thing. It's that's why people are tipping more in situations that they make you picked out my own name, make you feel awkward. We've had this conversation that makes you feel awkward. The iPad swivel makes them makes you feel awkward. Because you're actually paying digitally and then and then all of a sudden, the tip screen comes up. So it's not like it's not like they're soliciting you for the tip. It's the screen which is doesn't it doesn't have a human quality to it is asking you to tip.
Speaker 2: And then you're looking up and you're looking down. You're looking up, and you're like, oh fuck, all right, fifteen percent, all right, ten percent. I'm not I'm not tipping the convenience store guy, I'm not, do you. It's gonna get so bad when you go to strip clubs and the strippers are gonna have QR codes all right and tip screens? What about? What about? Uh? Tip? Tip screens?
Speaker 3: Do you do the round up round up for charity where they round up to the nearest dollar.
Speaker 2: It depends. If I'm at pet smart, I might because the money goes to dogs. See I do the round up all the time. It depends what the charity is, and it depends what the round up is. If it's nineteen oh one, I don't know if I want to round up to twenty nineteen seventy three, I round up if I wasn't gonna give a dollar, why am I suddenly giving ninety nine sense? I just want to get the dog food get out. I might ring it up for him. It was nineteen oh one. You know you're not gonna given look for a dollar. I'm not in it. I listen, I donate the charities, but I'm not on the spur of the moment, I'm like, what, I gotta read the fine print? Who's the money? If it's over fifty cents, I definitely round up. But if it's under fifty cents, you don't. I don't know. That doesn't make any sense. Stept both ways. Okay, slices. First of all, slices. Should I be tipping the guy at the convenience store, who, by the way, looks like he probably owns the place? Yeah? Am I tipped him for my ring dings? He rang that he tapped my card on the screen. He never even took He took possession of the ring dings for a second, scanned the ball code, tap my credit card, and then wants a tip for that. You know, a fuck out of here.
Speaker 3: I heard that when you get a haircut and they own the place, if it's the person who owns it, you're not supposed to tip them because they own the place.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yeah? They get the full amount of money. They get the full of mount When somebody cuts your hair works there, they're probably getting like fifteen dollars an hour and they get like five dollars air come.
Speaker 3: Is the reason that we're tipping because you feel bad for them they not making enough money, or because they.
Speaker 2: Did it, or because they did a good job. Staff. The reason you tip wait staff is in most states they get paid like three twenty five an hour.
Speaker 3: But you're tipping because they get a good they did a good job. What's the motivating twenty dollars an hour? I don't have the necessarily, what's the motivation for a tip? Because they did a great job for you. So so if if someone cut my hair and it was a worker versus the owner of the shop, I should still tip the owner of the shop because they did a good job, right, I mean, it's it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: You're a return customer. That's the greatest tip for the owner. Imaginable they get the full amount. Yeah, do you do you tip when the guy pumps your gas?
Speaker 3: If I had a dollar for every time we got into tipping debates on this prop podcast.
Speaker 2: And by the way, why don't women pump gas? And I'm not saying it's not one in Oklahoma somewhere, I'm saying, pumpkin. I don't remember the last time I went into a gas station and a woman came up and said, not not the one of the old lady. I told you, told me that you have to use the app to fill it up all the time. I'm talking about a twenty five year old, relatively attractive young girl working away through college or master's degree whatever, pumping gas. Why is that? Is that because the men harass them? It's dangerous?
Speaker 3: Is that what it is? It's a danger thing. Yes, especially at night in ceedy neighborhoods. You don't want to get out of your car. I don't want to get to my car. I don't want to get out of my car.
Speaker 2: Neighborhoods if I'm a nice neighborhoods, I see lots of the young women women.
Speaker 3: I guess guys, they they're exposed, they they're they're volatile, they're you know, there's you don't know what could happen. You don't know if there's sketchy people hanging around the gas station at any time of day in any neighborhood.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, you think it's a safety issue. You don't think I didn't go up liking cars kind of thing or no. I give them credit for knowing more than me. Women. Some women knew how to fix a flat. I never liked Maddie. I feel like Maddie from the Bronxton, Brooklyn. She would pump gas.
Speaker 3: Yeah I would, I would say so, I would say Reggie would pump gass. I think most of the women listening to this podcast pump their own gas.
Speaker 2: I don't think Jamie from Queen's pumps your own gas, but they do it in the daytime in the area from Queens, they don't. You don't pump me, you know, Oh you have to pump your own gas.
Speaker 3: You gotta Jersey. If you're Jersey, then you're not allowed to, so you don't have to. To moot point, I never put my own gas when they're not looking. I don't bother, but if they take too long, I get out of the car. I pumped the gas.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely gonna if you had a so, if you had a daughter, you'd say, don't pump gas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would. I would suggest that now, Oka. But as far as when it comes to cars, and some women know more than me, like as you know, like I don't you.
Speaker 2: Leave the car running when you get gassed. What do you know? I've never fixed a flat never. I've never changed a flat. You don't fix You've never changed a flat tire never? Wow, I get the hand, Jack culturple A, culturple a. It depends if there's too much stuff in my trunk and I can't get to the tire ill cultriple a. I have service, but I can change my on tire. There was a couple of days I was late for work. I was changing my tire on root seven. Yeah, that's also with the potholes. That's dangerous. I had to get to work. I can change a flat tire in fifteen minutes. I'm not gonna wait an hour and a half for roadside assistance. Sometimes. Oh my god, Brodie at that time of day. How did you grow up not knowing how to change a tire?
Speaker 3: I don't know, But you know it's weird because my dad was basically a mechanic and knew how to do well.
Speaker 2: He had all the know how. He was everything for you. Every Saturday afternoon he was under the car. See, my father made it a point. My father knew how to work on cars, but he taught me. He goes you got to learn how to change a tire, showed me how to work the jack, pump up the car all you volume. Nona asked your question, scary do you loosen the lug nuts before or after the car goes up?
Speaker 3: It's always before, right, because you don't want to. Right, you don't want to you don't want to have to turn that and and God.
Speaker 2: Forbidden the call. The call the car falls down. Well, it's because you don't want to pull the car the car and push weight on the car, right, yes, yeah, all right? And how many lugnuts are on a typical wheel American car four five? See I didn't know that. The hell Yeah, car talk, Car talk, Car talk on the bar Brooking Boys podcast. If you got a call, I want to talk about some parts and some rebuilt engines. Call us up and we're SPONSI sponsored by pet Boys. Many mow and jack. Yeah nah, there's I passed the place today. It's a there's a pet Boys and it says we will beat any price. Yeah sure, Now if I'm if I'm a place up the street. I'll start selling tires for five bucks, so I have to go over there again if it's full bucks. That, by the way, that is not a sign that you want to show.
Speaker 3: David Brody, if you own a business, I will find a way, my friend, because he will find a way.
Speaker 2: Well, there's loopholes. They get you on loopholes now like best Buy. There'll beat any price if it's an advertised price from a place that they consider legitimate, that they consider legitimate, which is subject subject to change. Right, It's like people, I don't you know. I won't get into where I was going, but sometimes you will go like will I will trust it if it's fair, but then say it's not fair whatever it is. Oh, I absolutely will trust what happens if it's fair, absolutely, But then if it doesn't happen to you, it's not fair. So that's what they do. They go, won't match any price unless we don't like that price. So I don't know. I don't know about pep boys. They'll match any price. I'm like, what we really match it? What if I know a guy who give me you all change for eleven dollars, we would give it all change for eleven dollars a week. You know, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Whenever I think of a whenever I think of a car park place, all I think is right. But yet I've never been doing O'Reilly's, nor have I.
Speaker 2: Ever seen O'Reilly Riley's parts.
Speaker 3: Now for the I could sing that in my sleep. I've never I've never seen an auto I've never seen an O'Reilly's in it's an online O'Reillys.
Speaker 2: And now there are some places just not have you seen a brick and mortar O'Reilly's auto park? What they exist? Not in New York, we've but.
Speaker 3: Growing up in New York, we've heard those commercials forever, like they're advertising to us and we're not even like, why are you advertising the product or a place or service that we don't have access to.
Speaker 2: It's say the Internet, why do you why do you advertise Amazon? Well, now it makes sense you go online.
Speaker 3: But but then it made no sense growing up all those years before the internet's, hearing those O'Reilly's commercials made no sense. What about you know, it's almost like them was never back in the day, there was never an it was never a sign they buy national commercials. That's why When you watch football games, sometimes there's national commercials and you're like, I've never been to that that place. Yeah, Raising Canes just came to New York, but the commercial has been running for years nationally. Danbury, Connecticut, New Milford, Connecticut, and Norwalk, Connecticut, Bridgeport, Connecticut, Keepsie, New York. O'Reilly is is within like an hour of us in direction.
Speaker 2: O'Reilly is a guy Irish? It is O'Reilly O'Reilly. So does an irishman own it? I don't know? Is Ray croc Irish? Is McDonald's, who knows? Who knows? You know how many places change, Like we've talked about this pizza places and the guy is an Italian, but it's like Vinie's Yeah, yeah, we don't have to go down that road. O'Reilly may not be Irish, he might be. It's a good name, good jingle. We paid for the jingles, fantastic O'Reilly. All right, there you go, slices, here's your homework and then we'll get out of here. Slices. If there's a jingle for a place you've never been to, but you know the jingle, sing it or sing it to us on the talkbacks, or if it's a jingle like from like a furniture store in your area, like Johnson's Furniture, something like that. Sing it to us on this on Slice time. Go to the especially microphone, give us a message, especially if we've never heard it. I would love Yeah, I want to hear. We've never had them sing for us. This is the first time the Slices will be singing. I'm looking forward to the next episode. What uh what about the Empire Carpets jingle eight hundred apart today today? Yeah? Yeah, that's a local carpeting the cars for kids jingle? That one. We've heard a million, We'll get it, you'll get next. Yep. Yeah. What have you heard the rock version? Yes? I have, I have heard that. It still sucks.
Speaker 3: Have you heard the one where they tried to make the guy sound like Ringo Star. Yes, there's a version where the guy it sounds like Ringo Star, but it's not.
Speaker 2: They all suck. They keep trying to read. They do the one with no intro. He used to go like right and I'm like, oh, it's like that just goes but it comes right in. Yeah. Yeah, I still get that button before they get to it.
Speaker 3: Damn, you got him, well, maybe you want to sing this jingle I.
Speaker 2: See the Brooklyn Boys. Yeah, buddy boys, boys,