Speaker 1: ESG is constantly evolving. Over the years. It is shifted from socially responsible investing to impact to sustainable finance. While the terminology continues to change, what hasn't changed are the underlying science market pressures, tangible physical and financial impacts of the climate crisis, as well as increasing regulatory scrutiny and rising consumer expectations. We aim to filter out the noise by speaking with industry experts to identify what is really driving value. Welcome to ESG Currents, brought to you by Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone. I'm Shahin Contractor, Senior ESG analyst NYO, who's for today's episode? Today I'm joined by Sarka Gul, Global head of Sustainable Investment Manager Research at Mercer. Sarka sits at the intersection of ACET owners and mansus with a front row view into how sustainability expectations are being implemented, did in mandates and in out of pace. So today we're going to explore what's actually changing in investment mandates beyond just the ESG rhetoric, how requirements are evolving, where expectations are tightening or selfening, and how ACID managers are adapting their strategies, processes and portfolios. In response Saraca welcome, Hi, great to be here, of course, as sosartica. To kick things off, maybe the first question is from your vantage point at MERCLE, what's the most noticeable change you've seen in how ACID managers are receiving mandates or out of peace over the past twelve to fourteen months Kiven, all the stuffs happening within our world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, I guess from my perspective, the most notable change, noticeable change has really been that asset managers are increasingly receiving more sort of tightly defined or proof based rfpies that are framed around the implementation and clear outcomes than just really thinking or asking about broad ESG narratives. So in practice this potentially shows up as less generic ESG policy language, more mandate specific requirements, so clear definitions, constraints what counts in the strategy and that could be around specific topics. There are higher expectations around evidence, So give examples of how a process is put to practice. What are those investment decisions specifically around sustainability, What are some of the data aspects and how do you think about and measure sort of sustainable outcomes, So really the focus is on reducing some of that greenwashing risks. And then again more modular mandates, so clients are thinking about sustainability objectives into specific sleeves. So rather than just a broad expanse of ESG language across every mandate they are, they're focusing on specific themes and such.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I like that as moving in a less generic I think, to your point, more evidence based. I guess you know, one thing that I see is the shift in language, and you know, moving towards soft I want to call it softer labels, things like you know, resilience or I don't know, you even know what you want to call it these days. Is that something you're seeing as well? Or is this still very much defined as sustainability or ESG or these these storms that we've always seen in the past.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you've just you've just stated to very very broad terms and so yes, it does. It does create uh, you know, confusion at times, and so really asset owners are assessing what they are aiming to achieve and then potentially moving away from language that could could be inconsistently defined globally. So what does replace it? Is is potentially universal or more financially grounded terminology I mean broadly speaking, ESG. You'll see that as being referenced less directly and instead it will be positioned as resilience. But what does that resilience mean? And this is in financial terminology, so looking for financially material aspects like transition risk, physical risk, regulatory risk, you know, supply chain things like that. So it becomes quite specific and therefore the questions then, you know, shift from do you have a policy or how do you think about this? To you show me how these risks are being identified and managed in the investment process. You know, there are other terms that you know that managers are no longer using, so diversity, equity, and inclusion. You know, the underlying intent often remains, but the language does tend to center on terms like culture or inclusion or belonging, so it becomes a lot more granular in terms of what they're trying to define rather than an umbrella term of DEI.
Speaker 2: I see and I guess so you coverle You know this this field from a global lens, So are you seeing differences in a sort of global expectations in case of how these mandates are written, for example, as Europe doming things differently than Asia versus the US, any trends over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I mean there are regional differences and so global managers are really then having to adapt. So the underlying building blocks tend to be similar in terms of what they're trying to achieve, But then what gets emphasized and how it's done, how prescriptive it could get, and what goods looks like can vary by region, you know, and I guess some examples you could see Europe. They do tend to be much more focused on net zero, on nature, and they're much more disclosure driven, and so this could mean explicit language around these terms, what does that zero look like, what are the transition pathways? How do you manage to think about portfolio alignment? So we're seeing more sophisticated conversations around these and it's not just so it's not just about climate, it's broadened into other environmental aspects, other regions. You know, you think about Australia on one hand, Canada and the other. Historically, Australia has had a very strong focus on modern slavery and so that has that has been present in mandates and due diligence process as well, and so managers there often have to demonstrate how they're identifying and managing these risks. And then in Canada, you know, manages could span both sort of the integration and the impact aspect, with some emphasis on climate, but we're seeing much greater focus on indigenous considerations, you know, topics like inequality and social justice, and so you know, ask then is how is this embedded into you know, the investment process, into the research, into the risk into the stewardship components. I guess broadly, local impact is another one. You know, global managers are seeing, you know, the need to adapt there so they can apply global principles, but the solutions the stakeholders are quite local and so again that focus on community impact that could be quite different depending on the region. And so all that to say, you know, managers are really thinking about and needing to have a core global approach, but with regional overlays so that the language, the stewards of focus areas, the local impact approach reporting can meet some of these local mandate expectations without sort of having a different process everywhere.
Speaker 2: That's super interesting, and I want to shift a little into sort of strategies. So based on art if it is received by managers, are you seeing any changes in where capital is being allocated by astonus? So you know, I think of private market shafts, I think of thematics, So just any broad observations over.
Speaker 3: There, yes, I mean an acutally, I do think we are seeing more queries and interest and increased interest in the private market space. But that's not to say that interest in public markets has gone away. It's that the incremental new idea flow and the curiosity definitely feels stronger in private markets. And this is especially as asset owners are really aiming to be much more intentional about where impact can be sorry potentially essentially can be made more clearly and sometimes closer to home. Again, so bringing that local component back into it, you know, potential interest in private markets. We've seen areas like private debt nature again that local impact aspect that are coming true. But again public markets is still very much in the mix, but the conversations are quite different. So a few years ago we probably did see more public markets manager selections around sustainability, and that makes sense again investors really thinking about and making commitments and then going sort of what we see as low hanging fruit, which meant you know, reviewing existing lineups within the equity mandates or their fixed income mandates, making tweaks with what they already allocate to. So the implementation aspect, you know, what kind of impact does does an exclusion or an integration framework make and then potentially switching to more passive allocations that are sorry to more passive sustainable allocations from their core passive and then also again adding to the active sustainability our ideas. But again, what feels different now is that impact lens and so there's much more explicit thinking about where and how impact can be made, and that is paired with the increasing availability and ideas that we're seeing in private market solution and so that's driving more time just on understanding that opportunity set, what exists, what is credible, what does it take to implement well, so you're kind of seeing a two track approach across the public markets from a breath and stewardship perspective, and then private markets are more targeted measurable outcomes.
Speaker 2: And I think those two go hand in hand, right, the impact on the private markets, because as you mentioned, how do I say there's people think that you can make sort of deeper, more targeted impact within the private markets, and the public markets is slightly harder.
Speaker 3: And that does depend on how you define impact. And again from the asset owner perspective, what kind of impact are you looking for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, So I guess I going to come to more of the processes. So compared with a few years ago, what are managers now being asked to demonstrate in r fees in terms of process, data or accountability? You know, somebody once told me that when it comes to data, you know, if you rely on one source of you know, data, it's it's a flag. It should be multiple sources or no data. I'm just keen on understanding how that sort of angle is going.
Speaker 3: I mean, in terms of what managers are asked to demonstrate, it come back to, you know, just being much more evidence based. But don't you know, the ask is very much don't just talk about the process, but show me the evidence. You know, I guess managers are really pushed to to show what has changed in the last few years that actually strengthens their outcomes or creates an edge. And I mean some of this is not necessarily new. It comes through in you know, the specialist expertise. There's deeper sector, asset class coverage, dedicated analysts, you know, much more depth to it. There is now more focus on proprietary data and tools. I mean we've seen you know, significant expansion in ideas across the you know, what managers are doing and how they're approaching proprietary models. And again it's not just a proprietary ESG model. It is looking at in depth topic. It's looking at topics in depth. Right, So you know, look at climate transition, what are the components of climate transition and what data provideers you know, have this kind of information in place, how are you thinking about adaptation and physical risks? You know, what are some of those data points related to nature? So it's it's quite it's quite granular. And we've seen managers you know, developing some really interesting proprietary tools that are much more forward looking and much more realistic or reflective i should say, of real world outcomes rather than you know, thinking about and relying on backward looking at ESG scores. That's probably you know. And then in mind with that is I guess accountability. You know, who is accountable when it comes to the over investment process, So this is not just about the data piece, but who is accountable and how are our investment decisions made? You know, I guess for impact ideas, again, that bar is higher when it comes to you know, asks around clarity and credibility. You know, asset owners are looking or clearly articulated impact theory of change. What are the specific objectives and then what does a credible reporting look like? And you know what makes sense? And that includes case studies, so that evidence component is really is really critical.
Speaker 2: I see, And I guess is there any you know, one piece where asset managers are finding more flexibility from asset honest you've talked about evidence space, maybe moving from genetic to I think more specific like you know you said in that zero et cetera. Is there any other place where it's another right would but maybe flexibility?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess some flexibility. You can think about flexibility round engagement, like what kind of engagement methods do managers have, how are they prioritizing, what are some of the escalation pathways? I mean, there's no one set approach, and so I think asset owners are flexible on that. But that's provided that managers can actually evidence a credible process and outcomes over time. So again just thinking about engagement with objectives in mind. I guess one area, you know, we are seeing the spokes solutions that are becoming part of the conversation. So it's less about mandate selection but more so focused on manager selections. So they're looking for that manager alignment and ability to execute, and that just means that asset owners are effectively developing their own fund design but looking for managers who can implement this. So you know, again they're not thinking about an off the shelf type of strategy, but really focusing on the alignment aspect the experience. How can you operationalize a custom set of constraints that we have and so on the one hand, these r fees can be quite specific and so they do require back and forth between the asset only and the asset manager and that includes running stimulations, you know, based on the criteria that they have is well as some of their portfolio implications or consequences. And so the flexibility then comes around potentially tweaking some of the criteria on aspects like you know, streams or increasing exposure to certain solutions or best in class ideas or sort of thinking about what that you know, transition piece might look like. So where do they set the bar? You know, so there's there's a bit of bracket back and forth just to get that to get to a place that aligns with what asset owners are looking for.
Speaker 2: I see. So, you know, you spoke about ways in which sustainability can be integrated, can be expressed. So there's integration, this chematic allocation, this engagement. I guess, how do managers decide how sustainability is expressed in portfolios? What trade offs usually dry that choice? And right now is one being expressed more than the other?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think I would see this as sort of think about the investment propositions as a whole. You know, if you if you kind of look at the investment landscape around ESG and sustainability. There are two ways that I think about this, and one is really what applies to all investment ideas, and that's the integration piece. And then there's that component around what applies to just a subset of the opportunity set, and this is really then getting into the variations of sustainability themes on integration. This is again this is probably this has become mainstream. You know, fifteen years ago there was there was very clear differences in how managers were approaching you know, the integration aspect. Today this is almost part and parcel of you know, the due diligence the investment process, and part of that is just because of the data availability and everything that we see happening in the world today. You know, there is a potential for external factors that can affect the value of a company, and so regardless of beliefs, portfolio managers need to be thinking about that potential impact on the corporate value of a company. So the question there is then how are managers integrating these financially material risks into their deep diligence And so that's kind of become commonplace. But then there is the opportunity set across sustainability themes, and this has also evolved and it's become you know, it's kind of moved from just a broad sort of sustainability bucket to how we see sort of a variation of approaches, you know, and that's thinking about ideas across transition and impact. And again these are ideas that are focused specifically on thematic allocations, but managers offer ideas using slightly different approaches. Now, this is a super interesting area because we are seeing a lot of evolution, But I wouldn't necessarily say that they're focusing on the trade offs in order to drive the choice because in some cases, this is where we see managers really being forward thinking in identifying and capturing that opportunity set. So we've seen a number of new ideas emerging as a function of broader initiatives and global agreements. Right, so you think about the Sustainable Development Goals or the Paris Climate Agreement or the Global Biodiversity Framework. I mean these are agreements that have really led to a number of different initiatives, such as the TCFD, the TNFD, engagement on these topics by managers, and then managers subsequently really developing investment strategies around diversified themes. Now, you know, they could potentially be ahead of the curve, but it's a way for them to also understand the investment universe, to learn what companies are doing, what does best in class look like, you know, where are some of those risks and where companies are potentially not doing well, and then later thinking about that opportunity set when it comes to the solutions providers, and then as the rest of the industry picks up, you know, you'll see asset owners then asking more questions about this, and sometimes it leads to, you know, particular mandates, and sometimes it's just okay, I want to understand how managers might be integrating these risks. So would they take that financial materiality aspect and say, like, how are you thinking about this across a mainstream or core portfolio rather than something that is more thematic?
Speaker 2: Okay, and maybe just one photo of questions. You spoke about the themes and you know, these new innovative ideas that are coming out. Is there any one direction that you think the market is moving to us, or you know, any interesting themes that have come to light that have caught your eye. I'm thinking I see really far out things, So I'm just curious as to what you're actually seeing on the ground.
Speaker 3: Again, I think it's just a function of what some of the regions are looking at how thinking about this. I'm based in Canada, so there is a significant focus on just understanding you know, indigenous considerations. What does that mean from a from an investment perspective. We're in I mean, i'd say for the for the masses, we're in a learning stage and so it's you know, it's sort of a step function in terms of getting to that point of really understanding that an opportunity set that can kind of get out to the masses. But it you know, it does end up becoming quite region specific in terms of new ideas.
Speaker 2: I see, Okay, I guess you know, despite I think this goes back to maybe some of my first few questions, but despite this noise around ESG, I guess what has stayed consistent? What do mandos need to have regardless of everything going on?
Speaker 3: I mean, a clear process in place? I mean in terms of what has fayed consistent. You know, we, I guess from our perspective, we look at investment ideas. We follow a relatively structured process and that's really then assessing the underlying investment capability or the strategy that the manager has in place, right, and so that captures aspects like idea generation. So what is your philosophy? You know, what is the investment process? You know, what do you see as having you know, within your process that gives you a competitive edge? You know, what kind of resources do you have in place that kind of captures, broadly speaking, the idea generation component. And then you've got portfolio construction, which is then translating these ideas into a portfolio that is reflective of your investment philosophy. You know, the implementation aspects, So thinking about the trading, the turnover, how much are you actually using in turnover in terms of costs and such? You know, what are the fees of strategy and such. And then overarching all of that is the business management aspect. Right, We're looking for stability of the business, a strong environment and culture, and just good alignment between between investors you know, and their underlying base. So you know, in terms of consistency from a manager perspective, you know, we always continue to see managers, any new idea that comes out really follows that overarching approach. Now, there are obviously nuances in terms of new ideas, but then that I would see a number a bit of that coming through in the idea generation component. Right, how are you identifying ideas as it relates to a particular theme or a new area?
Speaker 2: I see. So it sounds like, you know, the typical sort of what makes a good manager a good venture right, The competitive advantage, implementation, et cetera.
Speaker 3: That makes sense just to say, like within the sustainability component, like there is there's like there's evolution there and some of that is coming through. And you know, again you see a lot of industry initiatives around understanding the impact. Now you know, some of this again is kind of focused on the product market side. But how do you like, what is that intentionality you think about, you know, intentionality, materiality, additionality and such. You know, it's that kind of framework fits within this overarching sort of four factor and and how we would assess investment ideas and such. It's just kind of building it into that framework with those additional nuances that are specific to impact strategies and sustainability games.
Speaker 2: I see, Okay, I guess you know how and maybe you've answered this question in thought, But how have any of these you know changes, this this shift from genetic domes let's just call it genetic the more you know chematic or defined domes. How is that altered? How morech so evaluates or differentiates managers in practice? Just if you put like a broad brush over anything that's changed.
Speaker 3: No, I mean again, it kind of comes back to you know, the components we're looking at investment strategies, you know, so that kind of takes that global approach, right, what is it that the manager is offering? The regional variations can become quite specific, and so you know, I guess the key question that we ask if managers are tweaking anything for within a strategy to to make it work in a particular region is how much of that potentially affects the investment universe. And so you know, you need to if you're if you're changing, if you're completely changing the approach you know for a region, then obviously it's a completely different strategy. But if you have a global strategy with regional variations, you know, are focuses very much on understanding that global approach, because then the regions become quite specific and quite kine specific.
Speaker 2: I see. And maybe my last question just to wrap it up, So if you looked at a typical mandate, you know, two years from now, what do you think is going to look different? What is versus what do you think is going to surprise you by staying the same?
Speaker 3: What is potentially going to look different? I mean again, I think there'll probably continue to be evolution around proof what does how do you define proof? How do you look at the outcomes of a process. So again we continue to move less away from policy language to what is more decision useful reporting and sort of you know, circling back to the investment idea generation. You know, we'll see evolution in clear metrics or methodologies, potentially hopefully consistency and of the reporting, you know, And and I guess the focus is very much on proof and how it ties back to portfolio decisions. I expect will also continue to see evolution in themes. So it's not necessarily different. I mean, if there's anything I could say is that we've continued to We've evolved, and we continue to evolve in you know, within this space. So I do expect to see a number of new themes, you know, continuing to be added to the roster. And so what that means is then how clients think about prioritizing prioritizing this, And so we'll continue to expect to see managers or mandates being more explicit about what counts and how themes are implemented in terms of you know, whatevers. Expect to stay consistent. You know, I think that we've seen this happening over the last couple of years as well. I think for ATHID owners really who have been doing this for a while, the story is steady. They are continuing to maintain the course, and i'd expect to see that continuing to be the case. Market rate expectation, market rate return expectations, i should say, are still the baseline. So even with where you've got sustainability objectives, you know, experienced asset owners really are clear that they're generally looking to generate this market rate return and want to do that with the right managers over the long term. And so what that means is a sort of you know, i'd expect to see that to continue to be the case, where it is very much about sustainability, returns and risk and not. You know, it's basically the three having an equal and consistent focus across the three of these. So it isn't new, it hasn't necessarily shifted significantly, and I'd expect it continue to stay consistent.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, Thank you, Sarka. And I think you know, my big takeaways were the shift towards more evidence space. You know, you spoke about more generic let's just call it generic requirements to more sort of, I guess target is strategies in a way and targeted questions evidence space, so that that was a big takeaway for me. And with that, I want to thank you for joining and for our listeners. You can find more information on sustainable the Issues on pispace ESG on the Bloomberg terminal. If you have an ESG quantity you'd like to ask BS expert analysts or learn more about our research, please send us an email at ESG Currents at bloomberg dot net. And if you like this episode, please subscribe on Apples, Spotify, or your favorite podcast platform. Thank you everyone,