Speaker 1: Alson media.
Speaker 2: Either snow nor rain, nor heat nor darkness can stop the Persian Courier Service. Welcome to dick it Out and here a podcast about PUSSTAL Services, who reasked the question can the American capitalist class finally stop the American Post Office? I'm your host, Mia Long and with me to talk about what is going on with the post Office, what's going on with the post office unions, and yeah, how things are going downhill for the noble people who carry your mail. Is Tommy Espinoza, who's a union steward for the National Association of Letter Carriers. Tommy, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. Thank you so much for giving us the mail care dollars, the male carriers a platform to stand on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really I'm really happy to you and I'm really happy to get to talk to you about this. So I think the place we should start is with a bunch of very very weird stuff in how labor law works. So okay, for like most people in the United States, you have a fatally protected right to strike if you have a union. That is not true for federal employees. That is especially not true for members of the post Office and that is a real issue because the government has decided that, like, yeah, I know, all these people who do vital service are not allowed to go on strike and it absolutely sucks. Yeah. So I think this gets into sort of where I want to start, which is with the sort of history of the National Association Letters Carriers, a union that is not allowed to strike, and how sort of weird that is. So Yeah, I was wondering if you could talk a bit about sort of the origins of the union and what effect that has had on how organizing works or it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the right to strike has been a rather divisive topic. I'm sure you're familiar with unions and just generally people on our side of our side of politics to be infighting a lot. I shouldn't come to a surprise. So in nineteen sixty nine, just over fifty years ago, the salary for postal workers was under two dollars an hour. People were working months straight with no days off, and those were close to twelve hour days, and so these postal workers at the time qualified for welfare and decided in nineteen seventy to go on strike despite it being illegal. This conversation is not new it was illegal then, it's illegal now. And I do want to be crystal clear here. I am not advocating for a strike that would also be against the law, and we don't advocate for anything that's against the law. What I do want to advocate for is the right to strike, because being quasi federal, there's a lot of limitations in what the NLC and the general postal unions are able to do. In total, there are nine bargaining agreements and seven unions within the Post Office, some of which are the manager's unions, so take that as it is. Yet, on top of not being able to strike, none of our money that we collect as uniondes can be used for lobbying purposes, so they can't support a single candidate or any of the parties involved. We have a separate fund for that with the NLC, called the Letter Carrier's Political Fund, to try and circumvent the restrictions that are put on there. And as a result of that, it's like we're fighting with our hands tied behind our back. We are unable to organize effectively. Our union leadership seems to be afraid of protests and picketing for fear that it'll be misconstrued or labeled as a strike, and they're I think generally afraid of public opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a debilitating set of conditions because you've effectively taken away sort of the two major tools that you know, I mean unions of basically across all political strikes US. Right, You've taken away the ability to strike. You've taken away the ability to use your due's money to influence elections. So this immediately means you've taken away the tool that sort of militant unions use, which is strikes, and you've taken away the tools that more conservative unions use, which is buying attempting to buy politicians. And then also your leadership is like, we can't strike, I mean, we can't protest because someone might think it's a strike, the public might commanditusen. It's like that that doesn't seem I don't it really seems like it's like it's not only have you tied both hands behind your back, you've like tied them behind your back to your legs. You're now rolling around on the ground.
Speaker 3: Right, And to talk about what happens when we pushed past all of these barriers and just do it Anyways, you know, in March nineteen seventy, two hundred and ten thousand postal workers defied law, defied the general leadership of the time. And it all started in New York where people clocked in and at nine o'clock they just walked out. Soon, let's see, it was Cleveland, Chicago, Los Angeles. The nation joined very shortly after. Once it broke the news that they were calling for a national strike. Nixon called in the National Guard to try and deliver mail, and the National Guard had no idea what they were doing. There's an amazing video that I'll try and send you afterwards. It's just the National Guard at our cases where we sort the mail. An interviewer is asking him, do you think that you're doing a good job. It's just like, no, it's just some kid, you know. And don't get me wrong, I'm just some guy. But you need the training, you need to know what you're doing. And it's not something that anyone can pick up in a day, but it's a job that anyone can do. But yeah, for the first time, the mail had stopped, and that won us collective bargaining binding arbitration, which is a process that I think most people within unions know what they mean, but to explain it, arbitration is what happens when our parties cannot agree on a settlement for a grievance and eventually we call in a third party, an arbitrator to decide for us, and those are generally lawyers. On top of binding arbitration, it gave us a new pay scale and set in motion. I think over it's got to be hundreds of raises between the colas and the new pay table. It used to be twenty one years for you to reach the top pay scale, which is absolutely ridiculous, and I think it's eight. Yeah. So the Post Office was forced to reorganize, and so is the union. This is where the American Postal Workers Union was born. And from this strike we were able to settle on the National Agreement. So there's the National Agreement, which is our binding contract. There's the JCAM, which is the Joint Contract Administration Manual, which is what the Post Office and the union use as the interpretation of the contract. That way we are not arguing and spending time about the contract could mean we can just focus on whether or not someone broke our agreement. So after this one would imagine that a quasi federal institution would honor the contract that was created, argain in good faith and treat their employees. Isn't that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's spoken like someone who has never watched the Federal co action.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely not. Before we get into issues that we face today, I do want to say that one of the main goals of our contract negotiations, or of this episode really is to create public knowledge of how our contract is not being adhered to. If there was one main goal that I'd have in mind, is just to have the Post Office honor what they signed and agreed to do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is something that that it's a part of being in a union that doesn't get talked about very much, which is that the contract doesn't mean anything unless the union enforces it. Because the moment the contract happens, the bosses will attempt to not abide by it. And this is what a lot of union militancy back in the sort of heyday of militancy was. I mean, like, you know, if you look at like how the UAW worked in like the sixties, right, they'd have a guy with a whistle standing on the line, and if someone did a contract violation. He would blow the whistle and everyone would just sit down and you'd immediately have a strike, right, and it wor you know, and like that level of miltancy. You don't need to get like be at that level to enforce a contract, but you have to actually be willing to do stuff and to fight management over it. And if you're not willing to do that, your contract is effectively meaningless. And that's a real issue with a lot of unions.
Speaker 3: Which just kind of circles back to one of the big issues that we face is that if we were to do that, that would be a willing for delay of mail, and we could be charged for it just for trying to enforce the contract.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Which the thing I think is really interesting, just to circle back to the nineteen seventy strike, is that so the strike was illegal, right, Nixon brings in the army and the National Guard to break it, and the strike still wins. And not only does it, you know, I mean you could argue whether it achieved total victory, but not a single person who walked off the line got arrested, even though all of them technically committed a crime. And that's something that like you know, I think, okay, the enforcements of laws depends on sort of depends on a set of relative balance of forces and whether people care about enforcing the law, which is how like for example, like if you pirate like seven movies and you get you get three copyright strike, you go to prison. But you know, like the sam Altman or whatever like AI company can literally steal everything on the entire Internet and get money for it, and no one will love to prosecute him, right, And so so you know, whether or not something is illegal is to a large extent or the difference between something being illegal and you going to prison for it largely has to do with the balance of forces involved. And that's something that you should keep in mind when and this is this is the thing, this is the thing that that cuts the other way a lot too write like a lot like employers just do illegal actions literally all the time, and it doesn't matter because the state doesn't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, By and large, labor laws in America are set up in favor of the businesses of the employers. If you're familiar with workers comp or any of the systems involved in the Federal Employees Compensation Act, it's not enforced. We have cases that are pending arbitration where someone's been run over by a worker has been run over by a postal vehicle while they were working. The post Office effectively takes them off of payroll to increase the damage done to the individual. Eventually, the Department of Labor says, yes, we will pay this individual, and the post Office is liable to pay them. But now they are off the rolls, which means there's a greater period of time before this individual gets their money. And there's a certain form that within the post Office the managers need to fill out. I believe it's an eighty one thirty or you know. All these forms have some numbers associated with them that they just refuse to fill out. And there's no recourse, there's no cheez path for us to take to make them hurry or make them get this individual the money that they're owed. And some people this doesn't ruin their lives and they've already paid off their house or whatever. But I imagine for many many working Americans that's that's their livelihood immediately down the drain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately, we need to go to ads for a little bit because unfortunately my boss's boss's boss's livelihood depends on these ads. Buying technically does too, but like Lord knows, I don't see that money. So ads, we are back, And yeah, I guess that leads into the next place you want to go to, which is talking about what are the specific grievances today that y'all are dealing with and the union is not dealing with.
Speaker 3: Right So, in terms of grievances within the union and our negotiation, a lot of it does have to do with the aforementioned workers' compensation. Employees are just simply not getting paid. I think the biggest problem with the union and the grievance procedure today is that management has figured out this really effective strategy. If they don't settle on the lower levels and it gets pushed up to arbitration, then we have a massive backlog of cases appending arbitration, which could be scheduled years out. I think if you do the math for our current rate of handling these cases and how many cases we have, it'll take around fifteen years to get through the.
Speaker 2: Long christ not assuming there's no new ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's like you know when you go to a restaurant and there's that little stanchion out there that says it's a five hour wait from this point. That's the point that we're at. Anything beyond today, we'll be further along Jesus Christ. And so I think that is just a major problem for us. Clearly. Yeah, management is not complying with any of this, and it makes us so that our employees have to wait. Something I do want to talk about that's outside of the grievance procedure if we can, is just what's going on with the post Office and the Postmaster General. Yeah, all right, So I want to go at this from the customer perspective first. I think that's the best way to relate to people. I think by and large, people are losing faith in the post Office. Either you have no idea what's going on, or you don't care. And that's fine, I'd say. Before I joined, I didn't think of them at all. You know, they're just the guy that shows up at my house every morning. A lot of people seem to think that the post Office is going out of business, and our customers are facing increasingly long lines, misdelivered or lost mail, and an increase in postage for a service that is getting worse. People are paying more for worse service, and it's easy to point out those issues from the outside and be rightfully upset at them. I do feel like we're doing a disservice to our customers, and I'm not really not trying to attack them when I say that they're uninformed or clueless to the inner workings of the Post Office. I do directly want to attack Congress and say that, yeah, when they posted, they had pushed forward a bill called the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act in two thousand and six, which required the Post Office to prefund one hundred percent of its retiree health benefits and liabilities seventy five years into the future. What so, overnight, the Post Office was handed a five point five billion dollar burden. And that's where the whole I don't know if you remember, I certainly wasn't conscious of it at the time, to save our post office stickers that were being sold and trying to fund the post Office, and really that's where the rhetoric of the Post Office is going under comes from. The Other thing I want to point out is that we are quasi federal. We actually accept nothing from tax payer monies. It says it's a service, but really the post officees ran as a business. We don't even get subsidized because they don't need to. My local union president loves to remind us that the post Office is a business that has a revenue of seventy eight point two billion dollars, and he'll want me to stress that the point two is extremely important because point two of a billion is twenty million. They are not in jeopardy. We are not going out of business. And the Postmaster General, Louis de Joy, he's the second highest paid public servant in America, just underneath the President of the United States.
Speaker 2: He's played Ward and Clarence Thomas.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, I think it was like three hundred and eighty thousand a year or something like that. The Joy was appointed by Donald Trump. I'm assuming this is kind of a baseless assumption, So forgive me. I'm not doing my research here, but I'm assuming that they're buddies because d Joy has no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't she the guy that Trump brought in, like specifically to destroy the post Office as part of the campaign to steal the election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's been a lot about the Joy defrauding the election process. I wasn't part of the post office to see the inner workings of it, so it's kind of hard for me to say if it was hearsay or not, but I believe it because de Joy has no idea how to run a post office. He's never been involved with this kind of business. He is, in the same way that Trump is a businessman, a horrible businessman, and his Delivering for America plan could really be redefined as consolidation efforts for a business. So what they're doing is they're consolidating infrastructure and the workforce, which means closing post offices in order to save money and shoving three installations into one building. That's why the lines are getting longer. It also means that from dispatch the employees have to drive an extra mile or two into their working zone, which of course means that we're going to go into overtime. And this just throws a wrench in the mail handling process. He has single handedly made the service a lot more reliable, and I do think that you're right. Irreliable, yeah, sorry, more unreliable, And I do think that you're right. He wants to destroy the post office, not only for the election, but to the point where it makes more sense to go private. Now is the time to point out that the Joy is a major shareholder in FedEx, which is christ which is a subcontractor for the USPS, and he has millions of dollars in equity involved. He's got skin in the game.
Speaker 2: Love open corruption so great.
Speaker 3: And so on the local level, on what's going on in my office, I actually have one of the better offices that I've seen are heard about. I have been sent to other offices, and I have experience firsthand the bullying and harassment from management pushing us to go faster. But even at one of the better offices, I work sixty hour weeks. I don't have set days off. It's not even a rotation. When I get home, I'm spent. And my commute isn't that bad. I think I'm about fifteen minutes each way. And I really can't imagine driving two hours after an eleven hour shift just to eat and come back and do it again.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just unsafe.
Speaker 3: Like let's say, oh, yeah, it would be illegal, but since it's in the contract, it's not illegal. Oh my god. So the sacrifice that you make when you're joining the post Office. Well, I guess I should explain. When you join as a letter carrier, the first ninety days, they can fire you for any reason, and you're something called either a CCA or a PTF, and that means part time flexible or a city carrier assistant. You are only guaranteed four hours for showing up for work. You're not guaranteed to be scheduled. So if they don't like you, they just will schedule schedule you once a week for an unknown amount of time until you quit. And if you're in a busy place, then that just means that they're going to work you to death. So when you join the workforce, immediately you lose time with your family. You lose time with your loved ones and your friends. And I myself, am so fortunate that all my loved ones have been beyond understanding. But every time I talk about it, I get asked the same thing, why don't you quit? And the truth is this job is awesome. I love it, I want to work it. I just want it to make sense and be livable, and I'm not gonna give up just because we haven't reached the point where it is. You know, if you walk away. Now it doesn't get better. I'm sure someone would take my place, but it helps to have people stick around.
Speaker 2: That's actually a pretty commedy. I mean, this is one of the amazons shredch right for from their warehouses. They intentionally want to cycle through people because the more the more new people you have continuously cycling through, the less organized and the less sort of like must knowledge, they have less you have to pay them, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And so if you can just cause high turn off rates on purpose, that's that's the thing that a lot of these sort of business google like Nightmare factory people love in their workforces and makes everyone else's life just a living hell. But you know, they're still getting paid.
Speaker 3: Right, And so I try and hold that in mind. When I've been overworked and I'm at the end of one of my major shifts because I had to carry part of another route because someone else called out, I really have to stop and think to myself that this other person who called out is just as exhausted as I am is probably going to get a letter of warning for calling out. That's another issue. They don't want you to use your leave Jesus Christ. I'm going to file an unfair labor practice because they've been doing that a lot at my office.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: As well. It reminds me a lot are issues of your recent episode. I think it was you about the nurses Union, the shift change episode. Their members are dealing with a lot of the same things, where the unions are so big that they become detached from the me membership, and we are finding out afterwards what our bargaining agreements are, what our strategy was. Everything's after the contract has been signed, and that's just not how unions were meant to be. They're meant to be from the bottom up, by the workers, for the workers. But it really does feel like it's like national is its own entity. And so I guess that would bring us to talking about the union and the future of the union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's get into that.
Speaker 3: So I got to be careful here because Brian renfro he's our national leader of the union. He's been struggling with problems in his personal life. And I don't feel like I'm outsteeing him as its public knowledge, at least within the Post Office. It's public knowledge he's dealing with substance abuse with alcoholism, and that's something that hits very close to home within my family, and I really don't want to demonize that he's struggling, But what I do want to say is when you're going through something like that and you've accepted a position on the national level like this, you really need to either step down or appoint someone to handle things in your place. As negotiations started over a year ago, he kind of went missing and it was later revealed that he was an inpatient, which is fine, get your help, but there was nothing left, no notes left for us to strategize with, and our membership is just in the dark. And beyond that, the leadership has gone missing. It's very dark times for the NALC well.
Speaker 2: And that's also just sort of like an organizational problem, right If your organization is set up in such a way that a small number of people being incapacitated means total paralysis and no one has any idea what's going on, that's just a bad way to run something, And especially it's a terrible way to run a union because the union's you know, power is supposed to be from from its organization and from the collective power of a large, large, organized group of people who can make decisions for themselves. And if it's if that's not happening, and you get to the point where these decisions are being made by a very small number of people who can just sort of vanish like that's that for whatever. And you know, literally whatever reason that is right, it could just be you get sick. It could just be like whatever happens, that's just a terrible way to organize things. And I guess it's also like I want to make take it like like like a little tiny tangent to be like, if you're doing any organizing project, your goal is to organize yourself out of a job, like you're like I ideally, if you were in an organization, it should be able to function without you. There should Not having an indispensable person is a fiasco. Don't do that. This is true of both like your tiny local mutual aid group, as much as is true of your giant national union. So this, this has been this has been mea talking about the indispensable person don't have.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's kind of the funny thing about joining a union. From an anarchist perspective, it gets a little funky how hierarchical they typically are, and the problems that we know we are going to face when you have a system that's built like a pyramid. Yeah, oh yeah. And so I was saying, we're in dark times, but there's such a bright future that I can see for us. Branch nine of the NAOC, and namely this individual Tyler Vasser, who when I had originally posted on Reddit asking for attention, he's the one that I thought would be great for this inner view. His Branch nine has passed a resolution to form an open bargaining strategy for contract negotiations, and I hope this sweeps the nation. We're not allowed to strike, as I've mentioned, and our leadership is so shy when it comes to activism or mobilization of the workforce. They don't want to touch the topic. The closest thing we have to it is a rally that is Enough is Enough that's being held in Baltimore soon about the violence that's being done to postal workers. We're being robbed and we're being harassed. But even then, we're missing a large chunk of the danger that is posed to postal workers because yes, we're being robbed on the streets, but we're also being bullied and harassed inside of our work places by management, by the people who are supposed to empower us to do the job effectively, and so they don't want to touch the topic of a strike, I think, for fear of retaliation. But to me, pushing for the right to strike is a I'm not sure how to word this. It is such an important part of the nilc's identity, the postal strike of nineteen seventy that it seems silly to ignore it today and pretend like it didn't happen. So for the future, I think that activism is our key to success. I think that the old heads that lead our union come from a time where unions were frowned upon, where activism was frowned upon. But I think that public opinion will be largely in our favor, and that public opinion can really put pressure on the legislative branch on Kongs And if we are transparent about our union, what we're asking for, the issues that we're facing, I think that the public would be on our side. If the people in America knew that management was falsifying time records or training records and interfering with workers' comps claim and back pay, or that they're not paying the settlements that they've agreed to pay, that they're not scheduling arbitration sessions big or small, that they would care, and that they would join us in the streets. One major thing that happened, I think it was last year in the summer, we had a letter carrier. His name is Eugene Gates, who died in the Texas heat Jesus because management told him not to take as many breaks or he would face discipline. These pressures that we face when when you're threatened that you will lose your job if you don't listen to us, you will push yourself to the point of exhaustion. And further, Yeah, I think that the post office killed mister Gates. And yeah, there wasn't as much outcry or or anger behind the movement. I often find myself thinking that while I don't have the answers, I do know that we need to care more. Yeah, and it's hard to care when when you're exhausted. I acknowledge that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I think there's two things about that. One. I mean, I don't and this is something I've gotten to with a lot of the sort of interviews that I've done on the show is that I think a lot of very very basic jobs have labor conditions that are unimaginably appalling that people just don't know about. And I think people are very sympathetic too, once they actually understand what's happening in the kind of just horror show stuff that's happening in these workplaces. And the second thing I think that's sort of important in terms of getting people to you know, like trying trying to actually do like mass mobilizations even just to get people to understand what's going on, is that I think a lot of people who are facing these kinds of conditions think that they're alone and think that it's just something that happens to them, or they've been in them for so long they think that it's sort of normal. And having a bunch of people go no, like A, this happens and b it shouldn't happen is extraordinarily powerful because you know, like that that feeling of isolation is is the thing that all of that you know, you're that your bosses depend on to make sure that you know you you just keep going along with these conditions even though they are just objectively horrific, and I think any strategy that's not based on that is just not going to go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Right, And one of the strategies that I really want to push forward as I grow within the union. And don't get me wrong, I want to stay as steward. I think that educating our members and being part of the workforce is my place in the union. But what I want to push is for union solidarity. I want the NLC to hire organizers, specifically organizers to try and get the public mobilized and as well as the workforce, so that we can put pressure on Congress, so that we can show our bargaining teams that we support them, and so that we can have clearly defined bargaining terms. And yeah, I think that having solidarity between unions and reaching out to the other movements in a time where union support is higher than ever is such a clear path that we are just ignoring for whatever reason, because people are afraid to speak out against the Post Office. And so I'm really not sure what's going to happen with our current contract, but I do know that the fight never ends, and that while we stand on the shoulders of giants, we have to pay respect to these giants by not giving up now. And I'm a relatively new employee and steward, but I'm really walking in the footsteps of some warriors. The branch president I mentioned, Ken Lurch, has given me so much support and education and has done so much hard work over the years that I don't have to reinvent that weel, none of us do. We just have to continue the struggle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's a great place to end. Unless you have anything else that you want to make sure we get to.
Speaker 3: No, nothing, nothing on this topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So how can how can people support you and postal workers just in general? If there's specific place you want them to go?
Speaker 3: In general? There is on the na LC site, which is just an AOC dot com, there is a section where you put in your address and it it'll give you the email addresses, the phone numbers for your representatives so that you can make some noise. Again, we're amazingly limited in what we can do, so there's not really anything that you can donate to to help us, including the letter Carrier political fund. But yeah, just pay attention to us. Maybe leave a bottle of water out in your front door, says for the postal worker. You know, there's nothing better that you can do than talking about it. Word of mouth is the best advertisement.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we will, we will. We will put that in the show notes. I hope you all win, and I don't. I don't think I've ever said this genuine ly in my life, but thank you for your service.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. Yeah. I never imagined myself to become a federal employee, and it is just as bad as I imagined. Yeah, so I do want to shout out Actually it's a little meta, I guess, but I do want to shout out some important episodes of it could happen here that hit me very closely. If I can. Yeah, yeah, go for it, because a lot of the people listening will be postal workers that have been pointed in this direction. Please look at the Mayan mar episodes, the Free Burmer, the Burmese Revolution, and look at the work that me. I believe you've done the same work as James with border kindness. Those are two topics that I think y'all hit really well and that really touched me as a person. Sometimes I'll relisten to those episodes when I'm having a hard day just to remind myself that it's all the same, it's all the same fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it absolutely is, And I mean I think that's that's sort of the beauty. I mean, it's both the beauty and the horror of this world is that on the one hand, all of us are being crushed by the same sets of forces. But on the other hand, it means that whatever fight that you're taking is also a part of the larger fight forget all of us free.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, So just fight the burnout and stay in the fight. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is be nicked up here, go make trouble for people who suck.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at Coolzonmedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.