Speaker 1: This show contains terrifying, shocking, and haunting stories that some listeners may find disturbing or offensive. It's two fifteen am.
Speaker 2: You're driving down a dirt road on the sixty two. Not a soul in sight, just you and the desert night. But wait, you hear a signal off from the distance. It's faint, but it grows louder. Is it the howl of a coyote, the hiss of a king's snake, or the voice of a man guiding you toward a great darkness? From my heart radio and overtones media, you're listening to YFT two, the only sound you'll hear in the sleep old valley. I'm Dixon Lewis, your lone companion for the night, and I've got a new batch of stories to keep you up as you drive down the dusty, desolate highway. When May was looking for a new apartment, she decided she didn't want to live with roommates. Maybe she should have specified that she didn't want to die either. This is Unwelcome guest by Sabrina Cruz.
Speaker 3: It's not what it looked like online.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, last ten and left some stuff behind.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a good deal.
Speaker 4: For you though, isn't it free furniture?
Speaker 3: I guess so?
Speaker 4: So hun, Like I said on the listing, you get the full basement for seven fifty a months.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, uh sorry if this is rude to ask.
Speaker 5: This is just my first time looking for apartments and a friend wanted me to ask, So sorry again, but seven.
Speaker 3: Fifty is pretty cheap for the area. Is there something I should know?
Speaker 1: It's for my dad.
Speaker 4: He's up in the main unit and could use a little money.
Speaker 3: Oh that's really cool.
Speaker 6: So what do we do now?
Speaker 4: You really haven't done this before. All I need from you is seven to fifty for your first month and another seven fifty for the security deposit. Cool?
Speaker 5: And do you need me to have like a co signer? I read about that online and I'll do you a favor.
Speaker 4: We can skip the paperwork stuff as long as you pay your rent, we're good. If that does a war. I got someone else interested in the place, so.
Speaker 6: No, do you take denmo?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: There got it.
Speaker 4: You've got my numbers, so just shoot me a text if you have any problems. And here are the keys. Silver is for the unit, small brass key is for the mailbox. Big brass keys.
Speaker 3: For the unit upstairs upstairs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just in case something happens to my old man. He's got a key for this place too. Don't don't worry.
Speaker 8: He's got a key. Oay, I think I live here now what?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean, kind of sketch, but it's the entire basement for seven fifty. Shut it up. No, Well, the guy's dad lives upstairs and has a key.
Speaker 6: But it's weird.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank god, I thought it was crazy for thinking that it was weird.
Speaker 4: You should really get that key back.
Speaker 3: But anyway, seven fifty.
Speaker 5: What if I just move in with you and defeat the whole purpose of me moving out? Dude, you and Ashley deserve some privacy.
Speaker 3: You and you're a healthy boundary. Are you still good to help me move my stuff over?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Tomorrow's all queer, all right.
Speaker 6: See you soon.
Speaker 7: I hope that's not going to be a problem.
Speaker 6: Man, you're living in suburbia.
Speaker 3: There's a blessed hobling right there.
Speaker 6: Do you need a passport to the city. It's not that far, right, I'm just kidding. It's like twenty minute bus ride, right, that's like perfect podcast length. What are you waving up?
Speaker 9: My landlord's dad, Oh, the one that has your key.
Speaker 3: Why is he shaking his head at his I don't know. Maybe he doesn't like having someone in his basement.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, he looks like he doesn't like a lot of things.
Speaker 6: He's just old. I'm Fatty's worried we're gay?
Speaker 3: You are gay?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well this is nice, Okay, I know it's a little dirty by the last tenant.
Speaker 9: Really leave all this stuff behind? Yeah, it's kind of a good deal though, right, I guess. So where's the bathroom by the way?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: I think it's over there.
Speaker 6: You get over here. What did you check the taps before you moved in?
Speaker 3: No? Was I supposed to?
Speaker 6: Oh my god?
Speaker 7: Is that blood? Ugh?
Speaker 6: Yes, you're supposed to and can't be blind or right? H Lou, that's disgusting. Well, it tastes metallic. Probably just rust it's very red. Maybe it's very rusty. Is this something I text Dave about?
Speaker 9: Yes, you should ask your landlord to fix your weird blood pipes.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't just fix itself text him.
Speaker 6: Fine, thank you?
Speaker 3: Scent?
Speaker 6: Can we unpack now? Mm hmm? Is this all the kitchen stuff you have? Yeah? Why, it's one fork, one plate in one pot.
Speaker 3: It's a nice pot.
Speaker 6: Offered to give you her old flatware.
Speaker 3: Set, and I said no.
Speaker 5: Because I have my own stuff that I can put on my own shelves.
Speaker 6: Whoa you good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, must have knocked it over.
Speaker 6: What did you check if the shelves were level? Who does that?
Speaker 3: Besides, none of the old tenant stuff is falling off.
Speaker 6: You're right. Wait, let's see if the pot falls off another shelf. Weird.
Speaker 9: It's like your apartment is only rejecting your stuff.
Speaker 5: First the taps and now this. No one tells you to look for this stuff. What are you doing with that photo?
Speaker 9: I'm trying to see if the walls also hate you or if it's just the shelves.
Speaker 6: Walls to whoa wait, where are your toiletries?
Speaker 3: I want to see if the ghost cat is in the bathroom too. The ghost cats.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because it's like a cat knocking your stuff down, but it's invisible.
Speaker 6: So ghost cat, lou stop stop. Sorry, that's my bed.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it knock over your toothbrush.
Speaker 5: It's not the toothbrush, it's everything.
Speaker 9: I think you should sleep at mine tonight. You can try and find a new place tomorrow. I already paid for this place, and you can probably get it back, since the ghost cat.
Speaker 6: Isn't even letting you move in, not even your toothbrush.
Speaker 3: I am not finding another apartment.
Speaker 6: You can. You'll have fresh eyes tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 5: I've tried, Lou, I've been trying ever since you told me months ago that you and Ash were thinking of moving in together. I started looking, but every place is a two hour commute or stupid expensive, or full of strangers.
Speaker 6: And I get it. Roommates are normal.
Speaker 5: But I'm twenty five and I don't want to have to worry if someone's stealing my peanut Butter.
Speaker 6: I had no idea.
Speaker 5: I didn't want you to know the couch is yours for as long as you need it, or ashkinder down her all. No, thank you, but no. The reason I didn't tell you about all this.
Speaker 6: Is because.
Speaker 5: How do I say this without sounding awful? You have your life together and that's great, but I don't, and you're trying to help, but it's starting to feel like we're not equals. And I know that when Ash moves in, I'm just gonna feel more like you're weird surrogate kid, and I don't want that.
Speaker 9: Hey, come here, you always had an issue with lesbian loves.
Speaker 6: Don't grow in this? I no, Well, I guess ghost cat makes moving any easier. Huh yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the last tenant left most of the stuff I need.
Speaker 6: Or maybe it's why they left.
Speaker 9: They wanted to put up some curtains and ghost Cat was like, maybe it was an earthquake.
Speaker 6: That's not a cat.
Speaker 5: Do you think there's like a fourma can file with a tennin board.
Speaker 6: For a haunted apartment? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean cockroach is basically hot of Heartbn's right, and you can complain about them.
Speaker 6: Why not ghosts? Did it promise no ghost in your lease?
Speaker 3: I don't have a lease, ny loo, I get it.
Speaker 6: I'm not your mom, I'm your friend.
Speaker 5: But friends help friends get their keys back from creepy old men. Secure a proper lease and the exercise ghost.
Speaker 6: Yes, now, how do we do that? Give me a second?
Speaker 3: Are you looking up how to exercise ghosts online? Can you send me the link?
Speaker 2: Are you? We'll be back with our broadcast after these messages.
Speaker 6: I think it's working.
Speaker 9: You are literally playing royalty free Gregorian chants.
Speaker 6: I saw you type it in.
Speaker 3: It's just in case the ghost is feeling litigious. Didn't work.
Speaker 6: Let's see, Yes.
Speaker 5: It worked, it worked.
Speaker 6: Why do you sound sad?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: I just realized they actually need unpack.
Speaker 9: I can't believe we unpacked everything you own in an hour.
Speaker 3: It's called minimalism.
Speaker 6: It's called depressing. Trinkets are actually legally an SSRI. Is this your phone?
Speaker 8: Nope?
Speaker 6: Got mine here? Maybe it belonged to the last tenant.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll plug it in and try to find the owner.
Speaker 9: See if the password is one, two, three four, nobody uses that password.
Speaker 3: I do change your password?
Speaker 6: Who's acting all mom like? Nah?
Speaker 3: Anyway? I think that is everything?
Speaker 6: You sure? I still have a whole lot of guilt you can exploit.
Speaker 5: Maybe tomorrow you can pretend to be my tenant lawyer or something.
Speaker 6: Good night, May.
Speaker 4: Sorry about that.
Speaker 6: Oh hey Dave, she was just leaving. Night Lou.
Speaker 3: You've got to get my client.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 6: I'll probably ease agreement and.
Speaker 8: Okay's back, or else I'll be sending one of them safe and desst.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good night, Lou. That's low. Ask Guia do you bye?
Speaker 3: Bye?
Speaker 4: So I got your many texts right.
Speaker 3: The taps were spewing blood.
Speaker 5: The AC sounded like it was getting strangled. The shelves had a coast cat weird day.
Speaker 3: Sounds like it, but I think I figured it out.
Speaker 4: You did?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I guess I'll be on my way.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: Oh wait, do you know where the last tenant moved to?
Speaker 4: Why do you ask? Han?
Speaker 6: I think I found their phone?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Why don't you pass it to me? And I'll make sure it gets to them.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not even sure if it's theirs, But if it is, I got a crazy story.
Speaker 3: I want to tell them directly.
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: I should probably get that, but.
Speaker 3: Write the mystery phone. Let's try one, two, three, four? Unbelievable.
Speaker 6: M h oh, whoops.
Speaker 3: I guess that texts just finished sending.
Speaker 5: Now that the phone is charged, A video to mom?
Speaker 7: I love you?
Speaker 3: Why did she her hands tied up?
Speaker 4: I loved her?
Speaker 3: I love the PHAs going on?
Speaker 8: I love.
Speaker 7: Coming in?
Speaker 6: What did that old man do?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 6: Dave need Che's burg?
Speaker 7: U s A P.
Speaker 4: I don't say that high?
Speaker 2: What are you watching?
Speaker 3: Their hun you?
Speaker 2: The Unwelcome Guest has written and directed by Sabrina Cruz. The executive producers are James Kim and Taylor Chaqui. Erica Huang is a producer Diego Perez is producer and lead sound designer. Alisina Sawe Nozari provided additional sound design. Daniel Martinez is a production sound mixer. Matthew Wong is a composer. Theme music by Ryo Baum and Robert Garova. Artwork by Justin D.
Speaker 1: Lee.
Speaker 2: This episode was recorded at Hobby Shop West in Highland Park, Los Angeles. Raven Brinson plays May Madison, Lee plays Lou and Janice Hank Grover plays Dave You Feel In This Too is a production of iHeartRadio and Overtones Media