Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's Covino and rich In for DP Day three of the Dan Patrick Patrick which means a few things. We're gonna have some fun and you don't have to deal with us after today. Okay, unless you watch it, because we're on from five to seven on the East Monday through Friday, two to four on the West nationwide, like the Warehouse on Fox Sports Radio, Covino and Rich Everything at Covino and Rich and we're streaming live at Covino and Rich FSR.
Speaker 3: Hopefully everyone's having a good week. Maybe you're having like a PCA type of week. Maybe maybe you're having a.
Speaker 4: Walk off Cubbies type of week.
Speaker 2: He's so hot right now. He's like Hansel and we're gonna talk about him. And we're joined by a legend today, yesterday, a few legends Frank Callendo and I don't know, Drew Brees, Hall of Famer, today hip hop legend superstar ice Cube, say Rich ice Cube, ice peas ice Cube, we'll be here on the show. I want I do have to address with him. You have to calling him iced Tea instead of ice Cube. Early in my radio career, was one of my biggest flubs.
Speaker 4: It was just the flub.
Speaker 5: Let me.
Speaker 4: I'll defend you here. We grew up.
Speaker 2: Watching ice Cube, listening to ice Cube, knowing ice Cube. I know Rich, there's no way anyone under the moon in our age range, or anyone who worked in music for that matter too, didn't know who ice Cube was. But Rich called them iced Tea and it set the tone for like a really awkward moment. You know who you're talking to. I thought he was going to get up and slat Rich.
Speaker 3: Well, today I'm wearing my ice Cube Iced Tea shirt where it's.
Speaker 5: Uh, that'll help you with your confusion.
Speaker 4: Why did I do that?
Speaker 3: And it looked like vanilla ice? Oh my goodness, this is confuci ice Cube.
Speaker 4: On the show. So I got it right.
Speaker 3: And we'll hear from Patrick Renna and Danielle Fischel to Panga. They're in a new show called Dugout Dads, which is going to be awesome. It looks fantastic shore about you if you're living that world of coaching and parenting. We'll catch up with them and you'll hear that entire interview on our bonus pot tomorrow. But we'll hear from them, So it's gonna be an action packed show. First hour, we got to talk fights. And then there's a company that went out of business finally, And I think the biggest question is is there one person on the planet Earth that thought they were still operating? And that company is Columbia House. I feel like your mom was still a member rich My mom.
Speaker 4: Paid for her AOL I think until like five years ago.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly why I believe he still buys her CDs from Columbia House. Well, you know what everyone else is talking about fights, I'm cool talking about Columbia House. I wanted to talk about fight and fighting. We'll get the fighting and friction fighting. We'll get to fighting.
Speaker 2: And by the way, there is a big fight this weekend and I'll tell you all about that. We'll get the fights and football. But Columbia House just to switch it up and have some fun. I think we all remember the days of Columbia House. Sam, you're a little bit younger. We got Samy here on the ones and twos. I remember, Okay, you do you know what?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 2: Have the soul of an eighty year old white guy. So yeah, Sam is much older. His name should be like Burt or something.
Speaker 4: Sad guy Sam.
Speaker 3: It's like a young kid named Now It's made the cycle. He's like like your uncle Sam.
Speaker 5: Sam the Butcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Danny G are super producers here if you want to call in and chime in, chop it up at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox and again. We are streaming live, like I said, and people are chatting early in the morning. It's early here on the West Coast. Shout out to the East Coast and everybody in between. At Covino and Rich FSR. I was a big Columbia house kid because think about the radio come up. It's not the same for all people, but I know Danny G and I especially Rich is just a ham who wanted to entertain and be on the mic. It was our love of music that brought us down this path. Right for the most part, right start.
Speaker 6: Reading song lyrics, Yeah, from actual CD you know inserts.
Speaker 2: I was spending my hard earned Bennigan's money waiting tables, serving turkeyo tools and samplers waiting tables and then immediately going to Sam Goodie or the Wiz or you know, even when I was younger, crazy Eddy because the prices were insane and you would buy CDs, but then you realized there was something called Columbia House, and dude, I was all about it, because, like I said, I grew up loving music just as much as I loved sports and collecting baseball cards. I loved getting CDEs, opening up the jewel cases, you know, reading the if they had lyrics, and really diving into those albums.
Speaker 4: It was the same for me. Still, I still remember the gimmick twelve CDs for a penny. Everybody remembers. But here's the question.
Speaker 3: I mean, you should who ever paid nowadays, your kid gets an app on their iPad, or you accidentally say, oh, let me get this editing app or you know, this cool little game or something on my phone, and what happens is, even if the free trial you forget, because your credit card is linked to your Apple pay and your iTunes and everything.
Speaker 4: So they always got you on the hook.
Speaker 3: Now, because you can't do Jack Diddley squat without giving some type of information, whether it's a streaming app or anything, so you're on the hook for everything. In fact, you get schemed because sometimes even if you want to cancel something, they have your info for payment back. Then it was in good faith that some week ass teenagers were gonna pay you that fat blue envolope. I don't know remember one person. Let me just describe the scene, and let's say I we're all on the same page.
Speaker 4: Let's take it back the year. It was nineteen ninety something. I don't know. You know, it's wild riches.
Speaker 2: It does deserve explanation because there are people that don't remember because they're too young maybe or too old.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know, too old perhaps. In fact, there's a big window of people that people told me like, just forget everything about their past, and they need a reminder. People that are like, yo, dude, do you remember?
Speaker 4: Of course I remember? Did you get dropped on your head? How did you forget?
Speaker 6: I don't think too old is a possibility, because those people back then were the ones yelling at us, like, my mom, you better pay that it keeps coming in the mail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you're absolutely right, rich.
Speaker 3: Anyone too old is probably gone by now, because Columbia House is shutting down after seventy one years.
Speaker 4: Right, so it's been around a long ass time. How is it still operate? I don't know. I was shocked. I was more shot.
Speaker 3: They heard of something called I don't know, Spotify, Apple Music.
Speaker 5: iHeart they did transition their business.
Speaker 3: I know one guy working in one office. I just gave you the options. You're streaming on Spotify. You love serious XM, you got the iHeart app. You have Apple Music like they're like purchasing music in any other capacity? Like what was even their business model? What was the business model for Kobe House? I didn't look it up because I didn't know want I don't want to know. What could it possibility?
Speaker 4: The clue.
Speaker 2: I didn't know it existed until I saw this story. He ranted stores after seventy one years. Here were the rules back of the day. The penny deal.
Speaker 3: Twelve cassettes or compact discs CDs everyone for one penny, plus a very high shipping and handling cost. The commitment you agreed with no binding contract other than like you could. You could have been living in your college fratthouse and been like, oh yeah, my name's Seymour.
Speaker 7: Months people, I remember you miss these days of being like an anonymous consumer.
Speaker 3: I had buddies that would make up ten different fake names and just have They would do this ten times. The scammerroo, you get one hundred and twenty CDs. All right, So you asked the question though, and I have a confession. I guess okay, Well consider me the usher of the show.
Speaker 4: He's ay his cam fashions.
Speaker 3: Did you get that one for a penny? So you agreed to a specific number of items, usually six to eight CDs or cassettes, for a regular price of fourteen to eighteen dollars, and you had to buy six to eight within a year.
Speaker 4: But with that you got the twelve free each month.
Speaker 3: Called me a house mailed you a selection of the month card, like a little pamphlet, but no one ever paid.
Speaker 4: You'd get the twelve for a penny, and.
Speaker 3: Then you'd be like, you know now, my name is Stevemour Johnson, and you'd get twelve more for a penny, and everyone Johnson, but that was your name in the nineties.
Speaker 4: But I just wonder who paid.
Speaker 6: Well, somebody paid because their business was worth millions and millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, when you say to pay or not to pay, I think of you to pay for sure, to pay, to pay Rich Davis to oh man, he's here, Actually he's not, he's here.
Speaker 4: Just today, guys tricks.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to distract you from the confession because I know the joke is.
Speaker 4: And nobody paid. Nobody paid. Rich was doing a stand up back everyone be like, yeah know what paid? Am I right? What the truth is? I paid?
Speaker 3: My god, truth is like I was fooled on this scam. But you meaning, like you know, you did pay a penny.
Speaker 8: That was it.
Speaker 2: You paid a penny, but then you were responsible. You got twelve CDs. I think you left that like one nugget of the deal.
Speaker 3: You got your twelve CDs for a penny, and you got your CNC Music Factory.
Speaker 6: The selection was so bad for hip hop and R and B. You got some you know, like surface level that it was like Bobby Brown on No Tupac. It was like Bobby Brown stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, very very very having a Rony Greatest Hits. I got a lot of CDs from this, so I used it, but I used it the proper way.
Speaker 4: So you would get your twelve you'd be so pumped about it.
Speaker 3: He put it in your little case alphabetically, and then you were responsible for like six to eight at regular price.
Speaker 4: So I would buy those six and you had.
Speaker 3: Like there was no time limit that I remember, or that I remember stressing me out, but I remember, Wow, now I gotta buy six for like for fourteen to eighteen bucks, like you said, because the shipping was so high, and you know, I did it because I feel like I felt like a guilt of like I had to. But Cavino's the guy that but I did pay, you know, is the guy that if you buy him and my mom probably.
Speaker 4: Was like, it's gonna affect your credit, you idiots or something like that.
Speaker 3: He's like oddly responsible and it's not a bad thing. But like, Cavino's the type of guy.
Speaker 4: That I did. I don't want to owe anyone nothing like this morning. He probably already ven mo me. I already did like for his coffee because.
Speaker 3: I don't want to owe anyone anything. I don't like that he felt like a weird guilt to klubbe house. But I did get my twelve. I did buy my six or whatever you were obligated for after and then I probably got you know, another twelve somehow, So I did finagle the system. They probably have a picture of you at headquarters. But I thank this guy, you know, hey, you know I'm here to announce that I've kept him in business for seventy one years up until now the last member. Because you know, it's another funny question. What do you think was the last CED you bought?
Speaker 2: Because when you bought actual cts, remember they came in at long, rectangular waste of cardboard. Remember they came in like this.
Speaker 5: Long lard blastic plastic cases like.
Speaker 2: All plastic cases. What was the last CD you bought? You actually bought? I have no idea.
Speaker 6: By the way, they transitioned their business in nineteen ninety seven to DVDs.
Speaker 5: They had a DVD club.
Speaker 6: I now look, by twenty fifteen they filed a chapter eleven.
Speaker 3: Did anyone else you speak of dv like, we'll switch to another kind of disc that will go out of business. Did you ever back in the day go to like best Buy or Circuit City, but mostly best Buy. I would buy mediocre movies for five dollars just because I wanted to fill up my sweet ced?
Speaker 4: Was my sweet a brag or a flexes?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 4: You know, say you had to display your scarfaced DVD?
Speaker 6: What color wood was your wreck? Was it the blonde wood or the dark I had.
Speaker 4: The I had like a kind of stain. Did you like a middle wavy one? I was gangster, almost black and crisp, and it looks sweet.
Speaker 5: Guys, you guys were modern.
Speaker 2: You had to have the seven bro crates. You had like the light the light woods, like I had a milk crazy. You had to assemble yourself, Danny.
Speaker 3: Danny probably had remember those brown VHS holders that you would pull like little dolls.
Speaker 5: Nos.
Speaker 6: Right, we had my older brother and I had milk crates filled with CDs and cassettes.
Speaker 4: Well albums would be and album yeah final. But Sam, you brought up the DVDs.
Speaker 3: I remember going to like because best Buy would have average, Like I remember by movies like Steak Out Too with Rosie o'donald for five dollars, because what be the most bunk, weak ass movies. But when you were like like in your early twenties or in college, it was a cool breaking right to be like, yo, come in my apartment or door, dorm room or something else. I got the sweetest, so proud DVD.
Speaker 2: We were so proud of our setup, our collection. And that's especially they fell into a case logic binder or remember people would have I always hear stories of Dude, I never got my Remember you would have a visor thing and you'd have your CDs and the visor and little cases.
Speaker 4: Dude. Man, my girlfriend she took my CDs. I never got them back. Man, she stole my binder.
Speaker 2: So you know, are you surprised or as surprised as we were to hear that Columbia House was even still a thing. Listen with all the streamers right now, and like I said, Spotify serious ExM. iHeart all the places you could listen to music for free or a subscription.
Speaker 3: I think the reality is there's a lot less like junk space being taken up. But there was something about, like you said, a collection of CDs or DVDs. I remember going to Covino's apartment and then his tech well you can you know, had a townhouse and he had a wall, like a full wall of CDs and he had some guitars hanging on the wall. And it was almost your way of saying, like yo, I'm into music. And if you went to in your movie room or you're den you had I remember my parents in my parents' basement, outside of a sweetfish tank, my parents' basement, we had like a wall like almost like like a mini blockbuster of like old phs, tapes and DVDs, and that's that's that tangible sort of feeling though, is coming back, Like there is a pushback with the weien Neels, the younger generation who want some tangible old school of God bless them, not only CDs and DVDs, but like walkman and flip phones.
Speaker 2: And they're sort of pushing back phes. You know why though, because they do feel like something's not right with the way we're living and the way we communicate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I read an article recently that this new generation are buying all these CDs from these used music stores, but they're having a hard time finding actual CD players.
Speaker 2: True story. And by the way, we'll take some phone calls your thoughts. On Columbia House Closing Dawn eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox.
Speaker 4: I'm Cavino. I have a teenage daughter. She's sixteen.
Speaker 2: She already said, because I you know, you condense things as you grow. She wanted me to keep my CD case. I've kept about maybe five six hundred CDs that meant a lot to me, and I still got them in a rack. I remember, she wants them for some sort of retro room in the future, and I have I have a three hundred disc changer too, like I still have one.
Speaker 3: I remember, Daddy, because when Covino went through his divorce. Oh look, it took me sixteen minutes to bring up your ex wife. Sixteen minutes here about it. I remember when Cavino moved Do you remember about it?
Speaker 4: Tell me about my divorce, Richard.
Speaker 3: Sixteen minutes into the show. I remember when Cavino was moving out. We were good buds and went to go help him move all his stuff out of his own.
Speaker 4: Billy, Joel, let me file that under j for Joel, or you would do it under Joel instead of Billy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you got okay. But Danny Covi, I was like, yo, can you would spot help me carry my CDs? Like carry CDs? Like you need help carrying CDs? When I tell you, it was like a rickety old bookshelf.
Speaker 8: That.
Speaker 3: But when I tell you, the people can't see the window between you and I. This big, huge, monstrous class big spot has pictures of it somewhere. It was that size to the point where like three men had to like hold it on their back. It's like a moving truck. And he had not parted with those them you sell them in storage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again I kept the ones that meant something to me because, uh, you know, it paved the way. And by the way, I was thinking about Columbia House and I got a lot of them from Columbia House. Columbia House, when you would get those twelve for the penny off the get go and then you would rip off the company, that's the that's the gimmick.
Speaker 4: That was your gimmick.
Speaker 3: It was good for getting like greatest hits, like you'd get them all at once, like yeah, like greatest hit albums that you wouldn't want to necessarily buy at the store right at the time.
Speaker 2: At the time you wanted to go get the Boys to Men album or whatever, you weren't buying the Eagles greatest hits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you get the Eagles' greatest hits or led Zeppelin's greatest, the Doors Greatest, all the classic rock greatest hits with Columbia House sort of to complete your collection. The collection is really the core of what we're getting at. I do miss those days, man, I really do. I think a big takeaway is that Cavino is such an honorable guy he's the guy that paid for Columbia House.
Speaker 5: I gut.
Speaker 3: Were you the guy that when did you actually make a cleet call or did you be like you have a cleec call for mom up at the ball pick me up? Or you were the guy that actually so it's dude, well here's here's I'm.
Speaker 4: Here to see.
Speaker 7: It was the guy who was paying for music when everyone else was using napster to get it for free.
Speaker 4: And he's like, I'll still pay.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up, stand because that really was the beginning of the end for the CD the MP three player, And I still remember the day radio legend Wilpin Darvis came in and he's like, it's called an m P three player.
Speaker 4: I was like, what's that?
Speaker 2: This was a nomad. This is like before the eye the iPod, and I'm like what. And that was the beginning of the end. I was still rocking my discman, and it's.
Speaker 4: A way cooler. I was still nomad. I'm walking around everywhere with my music.
Speaker 3: There's there's the spot just posted a picture on our into of me standing in front of your CD wall.
Speaker 4: No way, you guys didn't break that down. How in the world. Can you find that constreaking it?
Speaker 2: No, dude, I still have like I had, I had several racks, right, I kept one to pass down and a lot of those are autographed after working in radio for years and you know they meant a lot to me. So yeah, it's just I don't know, it's just wild looking back.
Speaker 6: By the way, if you want to see it, it is our YouTube channel, Covino and rich FSR.
Speaker 5: I love it. Bell Ad in the middle.
Speaker 2: You had the disc change with the discman, I'm sorry, the megabase you would drain batteries. You were keeping Dura Celling company listening to CDs if you had a discman, right, because you would burn through them listen to the Yeah, so you had your discman, then the MP three player. But I really believe Napster LimeWire aries wherever you were downloading your music illegally, it was the illegal mentality you developed from Columbia House to say, I'm I'm ripping them off. I might as well rip off all these other companies too. Phones are hot, I mean every line is lit up. So let's go talks of old school And.
Speaker 3: By the way, do you miss that tangible thing that it seems like Covino is saying young kids now are sort of craving a little bit, like I do want to hold a.
Speaker 4: We We talked about this before.
Speaker 5: It's the same with video games.
Speaker 6: I don't like the fact that I don't have the cartridge of the video game in my Yeah.
Speaker 7: You bought an album and you had the lyrics you had, like you know, the liners and all that stuff, and look through it while you're listening.
Speaker 3: There there is something there, Like I mean, I don't want to get to so off tangent, but like even something as simple as you're in your car and you could listen to everything from Spotify to serious XM to have the iHeart app to any type of music of eye to everything right there in your console. You used to pull your stereo in and out. You would have the CD changer in your trunk. Like there used to be so much more stuff, and I sort of like no stuff.
Speaker 6: Also, there was a surprise because the songs didn't all leak all over the internet. Back then people didn't have advance copies. Only radio people had advance copies. And I remember as a kid standing in line at a warehouse music a big line of people that day Snoop Doggs first solo album came out, and it was so exciting to peel off the plat stick from it and put it in your CD player and hear these songs really truly for the first time.
Speaker 4: And you were taking a chance last time.
Speaker 6: Besides the radio single that was out, the album cuts were being heard for the first time.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Danny, there is something we're missing. Like it's that feeling of like you could sit on your couch and you could go through Apple TV, Hulu, net Sex Paramount, every HBO Max, but like there was still something that you sort of miss about, like walking around Blockbuster, right, it was you'd be like, but you had to get up, get your car, go there, come back.
Speaker 4: But there was something hidding me.
Speaker 2: The lost you can playlists, I got a ton of them, but the lost art of going to the CD store, making a playlist, you know, giving it to friends or girls or women you.
Speaker 4: Cared about, Right, that was part of the routine.
Speaker 2: And like Rich said, it's why kids are yearning for a little more, And that's why they want cameras again, and even disposable cameras, and they want tangible because they feel like they've missed out on it, and they have and yeah, it's a weird, weird story where Columbia House is done after seventy one years today, who knew it was even still around?
Speaker 3: Hilarious on the local news end of an era. They're actually doing this on the local news Columbia House because everyone remembers. I let's go to all your feedback, dandy, who do you want to start with?
Speaker 5: Let's speaking of snoop Dog. Let's start in the LBC Jeff.
Speaker 4: Jeff, Columbia House resides. What's up?
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, I'm a majority stockholder in Columbia House. Do you think it's time to sell because.
Speaker 4: House?
Speaker 10: Columbia House or Amazon? And I think I made the right choice, all right? The checkers not yess? I'm smart guy. Hey, I have a question. Was your Scarface DVD next to the totally awesome Spacoli poster? And can I just tell you my most embarrassing Columbia House CD that I got in the mail? And I don't want you to make fun of me. I'm very sensitive.
Speaker 4: What is it I got?
Speaker 10: I got Natalie Merchants Tiger Lily sent to my dorm in college.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine being like, what, hey, bro, what do you got nothing?
Speaker 10: Oh no, I left it out for the girls, thinking you don't want to make out with me because I was sensitive. And that's why my milk crate was showed with My milk crate was showed with VHS because you get in the back of the video where you go through the beating section.
Speaker 4: So like you throw your going into a saloon.
Speaker 5: Right, that's a funny, great call, Joe.
Speaker 3: So let's take one more for now, Danny, I know everyone, We'll get to everyone.
Speaker 4: Let's take one more.
Speaker 2: I do love that thought of the beaded section of the video store or the saloon doors.
Speaker 3: You go in here, you're like, whoa never go to the video store and you would see like someone's dad or a teacher or someone come so weird.
Speaker 6: I went in and I say your dad, Hey, likely all right, quickly quickly, here we got thirty seconds for you. Eddie and Indiana?
Speaker 4: What's Eddie?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 10: How are you?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 4: Is this crazy?
Speaker 5: Eddie?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 10: It is crazy?
Speaker 5: Eddie.
Speaker 9: Hey, listen, I just I know I'm not few years older the most of you guys. I'm in my early fifties. But hey, so the Columbia House thing. What I remember as a kid, you had a place on the little like postcard type thing you mailed in and it's had a fixed penny here. You literally would take the penny to the thing mailing it. Do you remember that?
Speaker 4: Hilarious? You say yes, yeah, so fun. That is wild.
Speaker 3: They must have had some tax code for write offs because there was no way like for losses, you know what I'm saying, Like for all the people that didn't pay, they must have had some tax code where they were able to rebound some of those losses.
Speaker 2: You know what, though, Rich, We're gonna have to add Columbia House to the conversation of man Blockbuster really blew it. They could have add Netflix because Columbia House was ahead of their time of we want to get music into the hands of people. Like, how were they not the next Columbia House Camezon, you have something else right like you and kidd, they were ahead of the game and we all knew it.
Speaker 4: We all did it.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 2: The one that comes to mind is like see and see music Factory for real, Like we have embarrassing CDs that we got because there was a penny who cared imbarssing.
Speaker 3: I love seeing music. I mean I liked it too. In fact, show that up for our way back Sam.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the fact that it was around for seventy one years and done today, it's one of those things that.
Speaker 4: Make you go hmm, good one who is buying this stuff?
Speaker 5: Still?
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: This is Rob Parker and I'm here with an important public service announcement. Whatever you do, do not listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show. Fox Sports Radio asked me to do a promo, but I'm here to do a no mo, as in, don't listen.
Speaker 4: To this show.
Speaker 11: No mo the host of two fools from Philly who have the dumbest takes ever in all of sports talk. And you know, if I'm saying that, they must really be bad. I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio picked this up, but I know where to put it down in the trash can. So please don't listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 4: No way, no how woo.
Speaker 3: Robots taking over Oh Happy birthday, Paully, Happy birthday, Polly.
Speaker 7: Have you guys seen what like China's doing with robots and like how advanced they're getting it.
Speaker 4: We're doomed. We are doomed, Sam, would you ever marry a robot?
Speaker 7: I right now seen some of these proto types then they look pretty good, like they're such a creak. They have this Superman robot that like runs it like twenty eight miles an hour, and I'm like, uh, yeah, we're in Terminator two times?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 4: Is that real or AI? Though I don't know it was real? Who knows?
Speaker 3: It looks fake? But yeah, you know what? And there's a UAPs on Mars. I don't know what to believe.
Speaker 4: Is it cheating if it's with a robot?
Speaker 2: No, of course no, it's just the future. Covino. You're rich in for Dan Patrick, the Great Dan Patrick. Day three of the Dan Patrick Patrick and Two Things. We're on Monday through Friday. iHeartRadio, w app look out for us right here on Fox Sports Radio. We're on from five to seven on the East Monday through Friday, two to four on the West. So join us tomorrow at our regular time. And yeah, that's right, and we have a bonus podcast, it's sort of a hybrid of our Patreon show and Fox Sports Radio is called.
Speaker 3: Over Promise Uncensored, And this week you'll hear the full interview we had with Danielle Fischel Topanga and Patrick Grenna.
Speaker 4: The Great Hambino.
Speaker 3: They got a new show called Dugout Dads, which is all about sports parents and all the stuff we go through coaching our kids and stuff.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's a lot of fun. Over Promised, look it up, enjoy.
Speaker 3: It's right here on our YouTube page for free right where we're streaming right now at Covino and rich fsr.
Speaker 4: Ice Cube.
Speaker 3: Gonna be here in about a half hour, so hang for that as well.
Speaker 2: All right, so again live from the Fox Sports Radio studio. Everyone's searching for ways to save on insurance. Switch to Liberty Mutual and they'll customize your auto and home insurance so you'll only pay for what you need.
Speaker 4: Liberty Liberty, Liberty Liberty.
Speaker 2: Get a quote at Libertymutual dot com or with your local independent agent.
Speaker 3: All right, now, it's time for something we do every week. All the stories in the world of pop culture music.
Speaker 4: It's that you might have missed. It's called Midweek Major.
Speaker 1: Covino and Rich get you over the middle of the week. When mid Week Major Major, I love that we throw sports and pop culture headlines and topics at the fellas and it's like the kids.
Speaker 8: Say, that's summit.
Speaker 1: We definitely madre see in our score Midweek Major.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it is the middle of the work week.
Speaker 5: You've made it.
Speaker 4: You hear the horns.
Speaker 6: Before we hand things over to the one and only host of the segment, Iowa Sam. We go over to the main studio the two big red love dice and they roll these to see who gets the first take.
Speaker 4: Danny, do you why are your red love dice so sticky?
Speaker 7: This week rolled the ten stick more than usual, so they're perma sticky.
Speaker 4: Ah, you win?
Speaker 8: Do you know?
Speaker 4: Goes first?
Speaker 5: Do you know?
Speaker 6: Somebody snagged one of our big red love dice this past week and we found it in the Colin Cowherd studio, deeply unsettling. Somebody was playing with one of our dives doing with it all right, who gets to go first? Covino gets first take. And now, ladies and gentlemen, the most famous person besides Brian Bell of Wheezer from Iowa City Iowa, Iowa, Sam.
Speaker 7: Thanks guys, Hi Sam, Hi Tom. I'm a little out of breath from dancing too early for this here. It's like an early morning workout. Heart rates up a little bit. Tom Brady, guys, wants to play all the snaps, all the minutes he can, exhibition and official. After sharing his seeming admiration for the NFL preseason over the weekend, in an Instagram post, Brady shared video of a twenty ten Patriots preseason touchdown passed to Randy Moss with the caption quote, preseason, regular season. I never wanted to be taken off the field. Practice makes perfect. Too many people looking for easy ways out these days. When you're a football player in its football season, your job is to play football unquote. His comments likely directed at limited starting quarterback appearances during Week one midweek or major.
Speaker 2: Major anything major, Yeah, anything, Tom Brady's major man. I heard him say some great things about Peyton Manning recently on some social media eclips. Everything he says gets my attention, and I think he's smacking theese candy asses into place.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like his old school mentality, his practice mentality, and the fact that that meant something to him. Because we always downplay the meaning of preseason, like, yeah, preseason.
Speaker 4: Who cares whatever?
Speaker 3: Dude, he was playing hard and it meant a lot to him. I think that's cool to hear. I think it's major. But again, we talked about, man, they should play in the preseason until someone gets hurt and then it becomes.
Speaker 4: Well, why you played him in the preseason.
Speaker 3: You can't really win or lose because whatever you do, you'll be questioned. I'm not saying Tom Brady sounds like the old now in the NBA, a lot of times the old heads sound.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, the game used to be tougher. I get it.
Speaker 3: Tom Brady played in the preseas in he threw a dime to Randy Moss and people who are commenting like, yo, who's the third quarter of a preseason game?
Speaker 4: What is Tom doing in there? I think there's a balance, yeh.
Speaker 3: But the fact that that means something a guy that's so accomplished, right, I mean seven super Bowls speaks for itself. The fact that that means something to him says something to me, like that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you will see teams that their starters get very limited time and you know, maybe weeks one and two.
Speaker 4: They're a little rusty, but that's the game now.
Speaker 7: Right in Week three, usually see more quarterback play finally getting in there against some snaps.
Speaker 3: But you've seen some starting qbs take a snap, some having like the forty nine ers, none of their stars have touched the field, so it depends on the.
Speaker 5: Team, it does, all right.
Speaker 7: Let's skip ahead to last night as the Milwaukee Brewers tied the largest shutout in the modern baseball era Milliwaukee with a twenty two to zero destruction of the Seattle Mariners. Brewers are brewing Seattle sinking, big dumper, not dumping.
Speaker 4: Midweek or major.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think this is It's all major because I'm not taking any joy in the fact that cal Rawley's not bringing it. But we did say there's no way he's gonna match that season again.
Speaker 4: He had a magical season last year.
Speaker 2: Everything went his way, and now the guy's baton won something with Man, how many.
Speaker 4: Home runs do you have now he's he's a thirteen or fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, having a miserable season and this just adds to it.
Speaker 4: And the Brewers are great, dude.
Speaker 2: A lopsided victory major for the Brewers twenty two to nothing.
Speaker 4: I just feel really bad for cal Rawley.
Speaker 3: The craziest part, by the way, this is major. This has two It is like, you know, two big takeaways for me. The Mariners have fallen from grace last year. This is a team that was a playoff team. Everyone was loving cal Rawley and Julio Rodriguez and this this team was stacked and everyone thought this was the beginning of a big run. And that team is, I believe, eight games under five hundred.
Speaker 7: Now can't they still like they're still in play to win their divisions.
Speaker 3: It's such as everybody is so medio. So I think, if I'm a Seattle fan, I'm really bummed about how this season is going. Next to them, they might be the second biggest disappointment other than the Mets.
Speaker 4: Right, and then look.
Speaker 3: At the Brewers best record in the National League. And get this, we talked about the long ball. They have the fewest home runs in Major League Baseball. They put up three big, three run home runs last night, but the Brewers the least home runs.
Speaker 4: In baseball, showing you that you don't need the long ball as much as we.
Speaker 3: Think pitching matters, pitch situational hitting matters.
Speaker 2: People have to start taking the Brewers way serious if you don't, and the Tampa Bay Rays just to throw them in the conversation.
Speaker 7: Isn't it crazy? The Brewers have only they've never won a World Series. They've only been to one in like the mid eight you know, early mid eighties. By the way, in the Rays, I think they're due to make a World Series.
Speaker 3: So Sam, the Rays and the Brewers the two best teams in baseball right now as far as total team home runs ranked twenty one and thirty.
Speaker 4: So it just shows you the long ball is important.
Speaker 3: But again, just having all these guys that one sixties, other ways to aim like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's other ways to win. So there you go.
Speaker 7: All right, final story here h sticking with baseball. Also to baseball, excuse me.
Speaker 2: He's been hanging out with his Italian friends. Also had Goba gul when you came in.
Speaker 7: Here, Dude, I always start my morning with gob. I mean that's a good breakfast protein. Also last night, staying with baseball, as I mentioned, after a two run home run and a seven to six win over the Rockies in Denver, sho hey Otani now has hit thirty or more home runs in six consecutive seasons. He's not going to get into the fifties for home runs this year, I don't think. But six years of thirty plus. Oh and it has a nice twenty two game hit streak going at coursefield show Hey the money, show me Otani Midweek or major Baseball.
Speaker 4: This is base I think it's major.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting to think that we're very homed and we're very like blase about another thirty home run season from the sessional one.
Speaker 4: He hit what fifty five and fifty four last couple of years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but still six years in a row, and we're like, yeah, whatever, what A media like this is great?
Speaker 2: Good for him. The guy is a superstar. And I can't hate on nobody could hate on Shohyotani. His his average season is the best season ever for most people.
Speaker 4: How many home runs you guys think he gets to this season? Look at I get the forty four, not fifty, not fifty for sure. I think this is major.
Speaker 3: But I think what's major about it, Sam is something a little different, and that is the nl MVP race is as tight as skinny jeans in the two thousand, you're skinny jeans right now, Otani's been in to ninety four. Lit's sen how close to these guys are ninety four, thirty and eighty PCA two eighty two, thirty one and seventy nine. PCA and Otani have both seen very clutch this year. The Cubs more of a surprise than the than the Dodger. So you give a little advantage to PCA that he's sort of carrying a team that wasn't expected to be this good Shoe Hayes on the Dodgers. But I think because of the pitching, even though he's not pitching now, will that be what brings Otani MVP after MVP, Just that the fact that he had that little stint of pitching that was great. Yes, because they're too close otherwise offensively, So yeah, he'll always get the advantage.
Speaker 4: But it's a big story. I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it, And that's all shere out. Thank you, Sammy, thank you Midweek Major. We do what every Wednesday on these stories. Mid Week or Major.
Speaker 2: You can also decide at Covino and Rich at Fox Sports Radio on social media.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen right now.
Speaker 3: How about one of the most influential figures in hip hop history, A rock and roll Hall of Fame, an actor, a filmmaker, entrepreneur, and now the guy behind the Big Three, which is getting ready to crown a new champion.
Speaker 4: Always great to.
Speaker 3: Have them on the show, Ice Cube, what's up?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 3: Great to see you. Thanks for your time, man, We appreciate it.
Speaker 8: They made a T shirt out of it.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you something? I listen? Ice Yeah, clear the air. Rich You'll you'll never remember this because you do a million things, but can you know? And I've worked together over the years at Fox Sports Radio now, ESPN, Serious XM back in the day, and these guys bust my chops because one of my biggest flubs ever had to be over a decade ago, easily.
Speaker 4: I accidentally called you Ice.
Speaker 3: Tea Yeah, and I remember you looked me in the eyes and you said, you know who the f you're talking to? And I was like, oh, well, I'm here to back them up and say absolutely knew who we were talking.
Speaker 4: But man, we.
Speaker 3: Never let him live that down. And I don't know if I want to forgive him or not.
Speaker 4: That's up to you. Do you forgive me before we start this?
Speaker 8: No? I don't forgive you for that. But you're not a bad guy, you know what I mean? Uh, it happens. Uh you know my homies ice that's that's that's big bro, you know what I mean. That's the og. So you know it happens. You know you're not the first one though, but uh, you know, you gotta know it's apart man. Come on.
Speaker 3: But when someone saw the shirt they sent it to me, is uh ice cubes in an ice tea?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I had to wear this, Hey ice cube?
Speaker 8: When you see stuff like me a few times? So that that's funny that they actually made a T shirt out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you see that, do you wonder where's your money at? Like you're not getting paid? Like what's your mindset? Or do you just are you flattered when you see stuff like that.
Speaker 8: I used to think about like, damn, you know, I'm missing out on some some cash. But then I realized, you know, they wouldn't make stuff like that if if it wasn't cool, you know what I'm saying. So you know, obviously it's cool and and that's good enough for me that you're wearing a shirt with my face on it and it's cool and it's funny and ice tease my man, Like I said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well we're here with a legend ice cube, and I see a lot of cool stuff behind you in your office there. Earlier today, we're talking about how Columbia House officially shut down. We're talking about back in the day buying cassettes and CDs and all that stuff. What is your physical what's your physical music collection? Like do you still have records, cassettes, CDs? Do you still have all those physical you know music?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I have, man cassette players that players remember that, of course, of course, you know. And man, we still got vhs around here because a lot of my history is on these things for eights, things that we recorded a lot of history on, and so I want to have stuff to play it on, you know what I'm saying. So people, you know, my wife, kids like when are we getting rid of this? I'm like, never, We never get this because you might not ever find one again. So a lot of records around here, you know, I got a lot of I got forty years of stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we thought our CD cluestion and our DVD question that was our bragging, right, Like you got actual bragging, right, So you got your actual hits behind you that we were buying. Yeah, yeah, we were proud to display your CDs. I'm surprised ice Cube is not shocked that Columbia House was still in business. Were you one of those guys buying albums for a penny and not paying Columbia House?
Speaker 4: Like did you use Columbia House back in the day?
Speaker 8: Now? You know, it was a it's a trip because you know, we would go buy our records. We was uh. We was also part of record pools, so they would send us a bunch of free records. We would have so many records, you know, some we didn't even want. So definitely didn't go to publishing clearing house. But you know, fun fact Priority Records who signed n W. A. E Ze uh myself before before they signed us, they used to do, uh this group called the California Raisins and they they went into all these compilations, so that was there their game. They was like k Cow or somebody, that bunch of compilations and uh, and then they signed us, and uh, you know it was it was we was definitely different than the California raisings.
Speaker 2: No god, I would say in the movie. Yeah, straight out of Compton. So ice Cube is here on the Conveno and Ri Show. And speaking of you know, your CD collection and your DVD collection, you know, we would obviously display our scarfaces and Boys in the Hoods and everything like that. Which one would you be proud of and bust out from back in the day? What was what was the one you put out there to display as far as your movies?
Speaker 8: Oh, Man, Friday. Definitely Boys in the Hood. It's the first one, Friday because it's the one that I produced and wrote and put together, you know, so it was kind of my first shot at, you know, trying to get behind the scenes and not just be an actor. So extremely proud of that, you know, and especially over the years how big it's become, you know kind of you know, they still they still quoting the lines from Friday, so that's cool.
Speaker 2: And you had to do all that prior to chat GPT, right, So you had no help. Man who helped you back in the day doing that stuff?
Speaker 8: John Singleton, you know John Singleton who under Boys in the Hood. He discovered me straight up. You know, he was like, Yo, I want you in my movie. I'm not an actor. I'm like, dude, you know what are you talking about. You know, I'm trying to be the best rapper in the world. And and then he just was like, yo, man, I need you. And then he asked me to write. He said, when are you going to write a movie? And uh, once again, I'm like, yo, whoa, whoa whoa buddy, you know, not just start acting. And so he mentored me and helped me write and Friday was one of those that he you know, was really helping me on to get it all the way on.
Speaker 2: Point Friday and absolute classic Boys in the Hood. Rest in peace, John Singleton and again ice Cube is here on the Cavino and Rich show.
Speaker 3: Music, movies, sports. That's what makes you unique, man, You've you've.
Speaker 4: Done it all.
Speaker 2: Who's the coolest to work with in your career? The musicians, the actors, the athletes, What's what's been your experience with all that?
Speaker 8: I mean, I love working with Mike Epps. You know, he wanted the actors that we just have fun. You know, we're friends. So it's like you know, going going to work with your homeboy. That's crazy. You know. It's like I'm in a Friday movie just being with him. And so, you know, he's great to work with. It's been great to work with Clyde Drexler on the Big Three, just you know, just seeing him all the way from his Houston days, the Five Slam of jama days, seeing him, you know, give fits to the Lakers when he was at Portland and then Houston winning a champion, and then working with him. You know, I've been working with him now for ten years on Big Three, and he got to be the happiest dude on earth man. You know, he's always laughing, always smiling and always uh, you know, just a great person to be to be with and to work with.
Speaker 4: And they get to work with you, which is an honor.
Speaker 2: So I'm wondering, you know, when you got your foot in all these different circles, ice Cube, do you ever sit there late at night and just bug out how crazy your life is with all the people you know and all the things you've done.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I do, to be honest, Yeah, you know I feel you know, blessed is an overused word, you know, double blessed, triple blessed, whatever you want to put it. I've been able to be in the right places at the right time, doing the right thing that people like. And and you know, so I don't take it for granted. I do smell the roses. I do, you know, reflect, and I'm always looking forward to the next episod.
Speaker 4: So I like that.
Speaker 3: Hey, ice Cube, you talking about being at the right place at the right time. What a moment when you were representing the Dodgers in the World Series against his against Covino's Yankees, and uh, I dud I was there, I know, And that was a moment that really everyone the whole sentiment was like, yo, l A just beat New York.
Speaker 4: That I knew it was over. And I knew it was over.
Speaker 3: When that happened. And the craziest part is there's a bobblehead. I don't know if everyone knows, there's a bobblehead of you in the Lowrider. And it's like you can find it online. It's it's expensive as hell trying to find one of those. Now, do you have what you have?
Speaker 8: One?
Speaker 4: He has in his office?
Speaker 8: You know, Yeah, I got one right here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that man. I love that it means a lot to you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and to be a part of that.
Speaker 5: How cool is that we got two male one to us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it's the first one, you know, when I dropped the mic the mighty down here, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's sweet.
Speaker 3: But I love that those moments mean so much to you, a guy that's done so much.
Speaker 4: Do you ever get any nerves in those moments?
Speaker 3: Like, y'all, I'm at Dodger Stadium, it's a world series, like I'm representing, Like, do you still ever get nerves or no?
Speaker 8: Not nerves? You know, it's you worry about things not going right, Like, uh, you know, you're in the stadium, so it's an echo. Yeah, ear piece in your ear of the real track, and you're staying You're trying to stay with the ear piece. Now that ear piece go out, music out, You're gonna sound crazy in there. You're not gonna be on beat, You're gonna be off. So you just you just worry. Okay. I hope, I hope they got that ship together. Excuse they got that together? And and you know, if they don't, I gotta be ready, you know. And being a MC from back in the day. You know the systems we used to have to wrap on. I'm pretty prepared for, you know, a whack system, so I just, you know, I kind of have to like get ready. So that's the things you worry about. But you know, I know my songs. I know you know how I'm gonna do it. You know, I know the lyrics. I'm a flip you know, That's what I was really worried about. Am I gonna Am I gonna piss the Yankees off and turn them up because I'm flipping these lyrics on them.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing Yankee jersey and I'm rocking out to you and I'm felt defeated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's done. Like you couldn't.
Speaker 3: Hate that moment, no matter if you were the biggest Yankees fan or not.
Speaker 4: Again, we're here with ice Cube. It's so cool to have you here.
Speaker 2: The Big Three Championship this Saturday, we're going to talk about that. But you know, are you to consider yourself more of a music or a sports guy, because I don't know, grow coming up in this industry, they always made a sort of choose who we were, and they're synonymous to that. How do you feel about that? We feel like they go so hand in hand, man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I love them both. You know, It's like peanut butter and jelly. You know, you gotta like to me, sports withour music is just a game.
Speaker 4: It's like hand with no burger.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you go together, you know, that's a Friday. And so you know, I've always loved loved them both the same, you know, you know, but of course I get different things out of it. But I you know, I love to see, you know, somebody play the drums just as much as I love to see a dunk contest. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Talent talent, You just like talent exactly.
Speaker 2: Speaking of sports man, how many kids in the nineties were rocking Raiders starters, jackets just because of you and your style and everything else. I'm one of those idiots, you know, growing up New Jersey wearing the Raiders colors. What are your thoughts on Fernando Mendoza.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, great. You know, he looked great in his first preseason game. Poise, quick with the ball, quick decisions. But I still think he should I still think Kirk Cousins should start. You know, why, when you gotta when you gotta vet like, Kirk, you got a new new regime coming in, Like why start everything like that? You know, I think, let let the kid get comfortable, let the kid get anxious, you know what I'm saying, Ready to go at the bit and and and and look, you know, I think that's the way to do it. I'm not the coach of staff. I'm just the president of the raided nation, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: That comes all the time.
Speaker 8: Just write most of the times with a lot of power.
Speaker 2: Though I'm wondering, do you shoot cousins a little text or a little DM then saying, yo, go get them?
Speaker 4: Kirk, do you do you reach out to these dudes?
Speaker 2: Because that means why not? I mean, that would mean so much coming from you, I would imagine.
Speaker 8: You know, I wouldn't want them reaching out to me on on uh on things I need to do. You know, they they got enough people in their ear in their face. Who know really what's going on. I'm not in one meeting, you know what I'm saying. So I don't. I don't mess with athletes during the season about games or how they play, or what they should do or none of that. After the season, I might talk a lot of madness. And you know, I'll say anything after the season, but during the season, they don't need to hear from me.
Speaker 2: Ice Cube is here on the Cavino and Rich Show in for Dan Patrick Fox Sports Radio this Saturday, the Big Three Championship, Dallas Power Boston ball Hogs.
Speaker 4: Tell us about this man and.
Speaker 3: Dude, this is what the tenth season now, So you got to be pointing about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, how crazy is that?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 4: Tell us about it?
Speaker 8: It's amazing. You not just want to be a part of sports. I just want to bring more cool sports to you know, basketball fans. You know, after the finals, I used to get a hangover and I'll be like, damn, man, one need more, need more. And so I felt like there's millions of people out there just like me, and why not professionalize something that's part of basketball anyway? Three on three has always been this step cousin of five on five, and uh, we want to give it some shine, polish it up, put some real pros out there that can play this game, and it's its own sport. You know, like you got boxing, you got UFC, you got uh, you know, rugby, you got football, cricket, and baseball you got five on five and you got three on three. You know, so guys have their own skill set. You know, just because you were good at five on five, that don't mean you're gonna be great in the Big three.
Speaker 3: Other guys that you think of that you're like, oh, I know they would be good at three on three, Like your ultimate Big Three players that you like, I guarantee if they played, their game would translate big time to three on three.
Speaker 8: Of course. You know, I'm looking at you know, a person like Westbrook. You know, I know you just stepped away, but his game would translate. You know, d Rose game would translate. You know a few people. You know, if you could pass, dribbles, shoot, and defend at a high level, you'll be all right in the Big Three. But if you're weak at any of those, you're gonna have trouble. And we got our best teams going at it this week on Saturday, and you're.
Speaker 4: You're twenty twenty six Big Three MVP.
Speaker 2: Pargo is playing too for the Boston team, So yeah, you got some big names there, yup, Greg Monroe, Dallas Power Beasley's on that team. So yeah, dude, it's cool seeing the sport grow. And I'm wondering. You know, obviously you got some big names involved. Now what about these social media guys that go viral.
Speaker 3: Do you keep your eye on like those MK type of dudes that are doing all these crazy viral videos when it comes to his one on one game and things like that, or do you always just have your eye on the former pros?
Speaker 8: No, No, you know, we're we're open to players who can play at this level. So it's twenty twoing up. You know, we don't want we don't want to get Youngster's too young plan because it's a real you know, it's a man game. It's called the three, not the Little three. So twenty two one up. We've had some guys, you know, Drew League MVPs like Frank Nitty come in. We've had you know, guys who are you know, viral sensations like Nazia Corps one on one guys who you know made Dey Mark in the one on one game. I think he's like thirty six and oh, you know, one on one against some of some of the some big names or or a pretty good name. So and he can play our game. That's the key. Can you play Big three basketball at a high level and if you can, we want you. But if you can't, we don't.
Speaker 2: Hey, speaking of basketball too again, Big Three Championship this Saturday. Magic Johnson recently said that people should boo Lebron James in his return. I want to know your thoughts on that. As an LA guy. Should he get mood coming back? Or do you give him the respect? Like if you were there, how do you handle that?
Speaker 8: You give him his respect walking through the door. There's no reason a boying in the layuplind But you know, once the ball comes in and he hits his first three on.
Speaker 3: You, I agree, yes, competition and then when he retires and he officially retires and then he comes back. Yeah, you give him his prompts right now he's competing against you.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on that. Now we're gonna go to our producer, Danny G. He's a he's a big, big fan. He's got a question music question for you, Danny G.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 8: Man? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, congrats on the success of the Big Three, because remember you when you first came out with it, the naysayers, this ain't gonna last.
Speaker 5: How do you like cut now? Really quick?
Speaker 6: I want to ask you because as a youngster, I was programming fifty thousand watt KCAQ in the late nineties, back when West Side Connection came together. So I got to see you guys at the House of Blues in La just tear it up. It was a crazy time for West Coast hip hop. So looking back almost thirty years later, what stands out to you about that time.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, of course, with the West Side Connection, what was great. You know, we we had just had a ride in La. There was a gang truce in ninety two where you know, bloods and crips decided to not fight and do those things. So putting together the West Side Connection, you know, we had you know, one guy mac ten he was from a Blood neighborhood, and then we hadve c from a Crypt neighborhood, which we grew up in the same neighborhood. So it was cool to be able to show the unity and music. But at the same time, there was an East Coast West Coast beef going on, so it kind of got you know, it really didn't blossom like we wanted to because of the friction that was going on in hip hop anyway. So that's what I really really remember about the time is, you know, trying to bring the Red and the Blue together through through the success of the West Side Connection.
Speaker 2: You know, it's crazy to hear those stories because I also think of ice Cube now as you know, lovable dad and you are, And I got to ask you about your son's career too. You know, we have kids and we take so much joy and their accomplishments. You've done so much. I'm wondering how you feel about your son's accomplishments.
Speaker 8: Oh, man, I love it. You know, he's having a ball, which is the most important thing. He's having fun with the industry. He's a second generation Hollywood. He's been he's been around movie sets before he knew who he was. So it's great to see him live out his dreams, you know, doing Godzilla movies and Star Wars movies and all this stuff that he grew up on. I remember buying him all kind of Godzilla toys and now he's in the movie with the monster.
Speaker 4: You know, that's so cool. You gotta bug out on that too.
Speaker 3: You're sitting there watching your son with Godzilla.
Speaker 8: That's wild, man, It's wild, and it's fun. And as long as he's having fun with it, and long as he keep the industry in perspective. You know, it's a job, it's not an adventure, and have fun with it, dude.
Speaker 4: Ice Cube a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thanks for your time man Big Three this weekend, and thanks for sort of forgiving me for accidentally you tea back in the day.
Speaker 4: I feel so much better now.
Speaker 3: Ice Cube A true pleasure, a legend, hall of famer music, sports, It does everything.
Speaker 4: Got a lot very pumped for the Big Three this weekend. Thank you. Hey, you're welcome to come in the studio next time. I hope to see you again. Continued success Cube all right, take it easy, Thank you man. Ice Cube