Speaker 1: Break was breaking down all the biggest NBA storylines to the Heat Check the Heat Check with Just a Crack, the best podcast covering all the drama around the association.
Speaker 2: Today, we're gonna have a chat with Grant Asset.
Speaker 3: Grant is a writer and a Dallas Mavericks reporter for Dallas Basketball dot Com SI as well as and then on top of that, the NBA Analysis Network.
Speaker 2: The dude knows is Ex's nose. He was awesome.
Speaker 3: He spent time as a beat reporter as well from the Indian Interpacers.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's just been around the league. Just don't don't.
Speaker 3: Just get on his Twitter and just check his analysis and you'll know he is legit.
Speaker 2: He's been everywhere.
Speaker 3: He went to Abu Dhabi with the team, he went to the Philippines with the team, he went to the Madrid with a team. He's just been falling around doing his thing. Welcome to the show, Grant, without further ado, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome to the show all the way from Madrid, Spain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me. I look forward to talking about it.
Speaker 2: You've been a world traveler this summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that I went to the Hall of Fame at first, and then the World Cup, and then yeah, the Global Games with the MAVs and Timberwolves as well, before yeah, the Real matured versus MAVs. So it's been a lot of interesting stuff in the last couple of months. For sure.
Speaker 3: What was the I guess most interesting place in all of those because it was Philippines.
Speaker 2: That's Dubai or Abu Dhabi excuse me, Abu Dhabi and now Madrid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then with Luca being in Japan for the start of that, I was in Okinawa for like the first two weeks of the World Cup and then the Philippines for like a week, and I thought it was interesting Okinawa. When I was landing there, it was it was like an alert system was talking about North Korean missiles, so like my phone was going off. People were like worried about that. So that was definitely an interesting thing for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting because you said you haven't really traveled before this much around the world, and now you've been pretty much to all of the more exotic places right outside of Madrid.
Speaker 2: Madrid's a huge city right in the middle of.
Speaker 3: Europe, but Abu Dhabi had to have been really interesting situation for you, but also interesting for the team in terms of team building, Like, are these types of trips from what you can gather valuable to build chemistry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's been a big message even from before they left, they said that it'll be valuable to like put the long plane ride. Luca has also orchestrated team dinners both in Abu Dhabi and Madrid. You know, they also got to see some of his old I guess you could say stopping grounds and like sight see and all that stuff. So I think it's definitely helpful for that standpoint. I do think it may potentially make it more challenging for having like that traditional sort of comfortable like performance element of it. Like you're in different facilities, and if you have injuries, it's kind of harder to manage to those when you're on the road, especially not in an American sort of setting, I feel like, so I think that would be something to watch, you know Luca, you know, he had that that calf strain that prevented them from playing more than five minutes in that real Madrid game. And then Kyrie Irving has also been out for the last two games as well, with a growing straight or sore growing I should say, so, uh yeah that uh, I think it kind of makes it a little more complicated amandage to those on the fly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm sure Luca was super bummed to not be able to play as many minutes as he could and his old stomping grounds, Like how famous is he there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He it was.
Speaker 1: It felt like a Mavericks game, to be honest, Like there was tons of like Luca donsis Jerseys. Everyone was just super amped for everything that he did, even when he just walked on the floor for like the warm up. It was just it was crazy. It was. It was a lot of enthusiasm for it. So yeah, it was definitely disappointing this as a basketball like like fan, I guess you could say, just to have like all those people excited for that and then have them play five minutes was kind of anti climactic, especially like finding out like so close to the game, like everyone's pulling into the arena and it's like, oh, by the way, Luca's gonna play five minutes. Oh okay. It was kind of like a like a like a suck for the enthusiasm, if you will. It was kind of strange.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm sure, like you said, because the fact that they're overseas, the training situation is not nearly the same as it is in the United States, so you have to take more precautions. And then that ends up with Luca back in Madrid only playing five minutes.
Speaker 2: Is that essentially that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely what it seemed like he was able to use like the real Madrid like facility that the basketball team uses, like in the days leading up. But I think, you know, like his injury kind of happened like the day before the game. They said he like strained the calf then, and I think there just probably was a combination of not enough time to probably get it ready to go. And I think they're just being ultra cautious as well, because I think it's a lot less you know, comfortable when you're in a different place, you're playing against players that you don't really play with in the typical season, and you're just trying to be very like like, especially with this Mavericks team that had injury problems late last year, I think it's probably a little worry some to push, if you will, like your two superstars for sure.
Speaker 3: So that every year, Grant every year. It's like, this guy's in the best shape of his life. This guy's has put on twenty pounds of muscle, this guy's lost twenty pounds of fat. Like, Luca has been someone that kind of not like exactly like Zion, but a little like Zion, where it's if Luca just was more shredded, there's this perception that maybe these injuries would be more preventable. Like where are we at this upcoming season in terms of like where his physical condition is compared to other years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think in general, entering seasons he's been very like, you know, like very like physically ready, you know, like not this like like this season leading up, but the previous season he also had international games to be able to play. That kind of you know, helped to prepare and I think that definitely has helped him. There's been a lot of international basketball since COVID hit with the condensed calendar, with the Olympics being impacted starting then. I think the main challenge though, is kind of during that long eighty two game season. I think this is not even just for Luca, but for some other players that have a hard time with keeping weight down during the season when those like longer road trips sort of start. It's easy to like kind of put on weight when you're like in five consecutive road games and you've been gone for like ten days, twelve days, things of that nature. So I think that's usually been as like, I guess you could say the issue because he's entered season as well, but I think maintaining throughout the full eighty two games is probably like a key focus for sure.
Speaker 2: Interesting onto this upcoming season.
Speaker 3: I wanted to have you on because there's there's a lot of excitement about how the offseason for the Mavericks, and then obviously that comes on the heels of like a.
Speaker 2: Massively disappointing season.
Speaker 3: Compared to what it was the year before for players, for fans all that, but the grades for the offseason with Omax and Derek Lively and Grant Williams all very exciting. I think you got a's across the board from most people who like to evaluate that. All that being said, what do you think the expectations inside the building are right now for this team?
Speaker 1: I think they're probably pretty you know, I would say, like not like an expectation of like championship or busts or anything of that nature. But I do think they feel optimistic about their chances. I think, you know, missing the play tournament is definitely not like last year is definitely not the expectation. I do think, you know, it all relies on health. They're even saying that, like Jason Kids made comments where it's like, as long as we're healthy, and it's a little like concerning aus you could say, since as preseason and you're kind of already talking about like like Superstar help before you even played the first home preseason game, Like that's a little like like something to watch for sure, because you know these could be minor things that aren't too big of a deal, but it's still like it's always a concern because you know, Kyrie Irving has not played you know, like the like I think it's been since his last season with the Celtics. Have I remember correctly that he played like over sixty five games or seventy games something like that. Yeah, So like if you're already kind of having like, oh, he's sitting out these two preseason games, that's a little like of a red flag I guess you could say for like the health department. But I think overall, like there's also a natural like expectation that rookies are gonna make mistakes. That's a common line that you know, Jason Kids said in his comments when talking about both of the rookies Lively and Omax, And I think, you know, they really like what they have and Lively even I think right now, like I think he's been ahead of schedule, That's what they've said as well, and he's actually like last night, Jason Kidd mentioned that he's done everything that they've asked for him to basically be the starter for opening night as well, and that o Max would come off the bench if basically the season was to start today. So I think there's a lot to like about those guys right now. But I think it will be like they're both raw offensively, and it takes an adjustment period for any defender entering the NBA. So I think just that'll be a big X factor is just tracking their development throughout a full full season for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we saw Walker Kessler come in as a rookie and have an immediate impact, especially after the trade. Right So for you like from what you've seen in practice and what you've seen in terms of who you've talked.
Speaker 2: To, what do you think gives you the most hope about this team and what concerns you the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the concern would definitely be what we touched on, is the health problems sometimes that pop up. You know, Lucas had some like ankle sprains and things like that in previous seasons. But you know, from the World Cup, you know, time around Slovenia, he did mention that his you know, his thye injury is not okay, and that was something that he brought up like early March, like in New Orleans, like he didn't finish out a game, he sat out the fourth quarter and then he kind of just talked to the media about it, and it's kind of been a storyline ever since. I do think he's like in the last couple of times he's talked about it, he says it's improved. But you know, I think it's kind of like it's kind of an odd comparison. But like I guess you could say, like with following NFL, like Joe Burrow, like entering a season unhealthy is probably you know, you're not gonna get more healthy playing a full season. If so, it's kind of that's something to keep an eye on, I would say, is that lingering thigh issue. And then also the you know, the caf strain is a new thing, but it's all in the left leg, so that's you know, I guess not the best situation for you, your heavy usage player to kind of be dealing with those types of things. And then you know, for Kyrie Irving, it sounds like it's not like a serious issue by any stretch, but it's still like there's like planar fasciitis he had at the end of last season and then with a groin injury. Now that's definitely like a thing to watch is his status like throughout like a full season two. But I think what gives me optimism is probably just how coachable and I guess you could say focus. The rookies are like they're they're some of the most like professional young players I think I've ever talked to, Like they know their job from day one, which I think is kind of a rare thing, Like you don't really hear rookies who are like nineteen and twenty one who step in and say I'm gonna do the dirty work. I'm going to you know, learn how to set screen as well. For Luca and Kyrie, you don't really hear that that often, so I think, you know, I think that they're definitely someone I would bet on for in season improvement if they do start off a little slow, So I think that gives me optimism. I do think, you know, they've added some interesting pieces as well, Like I think Dante Exum's look pretty solid, like both you know, like coming off the World Cup, he was good for Australia and he's continued that in preseason. And Seth Curry gives shooting. He's worked well with Luca in the past, and he's healthy now as well. He had some injuries the last couple of years, and I think, you know, like they haven't moved him hardaway.
Speaker 2: Junior.
Speaker 1: He was in a lot of trade rumors, but you know, he's someone that was actually one of the more important like swing factors, if you will, for them last year when he was hot. That was one of the few things that kind of put them over the top in like in game situations. So you know, they have some like firepower in that sense. It's just all definitely predicates on those superstars staying healthy because they don't. They don't really have the depth to like say like we're going to put the ball in this guy's hands and we're not going to feel a loss of not having Kyrie or Luca or both. Jaden Hardy's development is definitely something to watch as well, because he's kind of the player they do rely on in those situations, at least they did last season. There's more competition in the back court this year to keep an eye on with you know, Curry and Xim as I mentioned, but last year it was very interesting, like he went from like Hardy went from a DNP before that New Orleans game that I mentioned with Luca where he started to talk about that thigh injury and then he finished out the fourth quarter for Luca, and then he became the first option against the Memphis Grizzlies when Luca and Kyrie were out, and he shot like a couple consecutive games with like twenty or more field goal He had like sixty plus in a three game span. So yeah, it's like that's definitely a player like his ongoing development will be important to monitor, Like not to ramble too much, but like in Summer League, I was out there as well, and they really wanted to focus on his passing reads and you know, basically getting a better feel for controlling the game as an initiator and not just kind of coming off screens and taking tough shots and you know, just working on basically being more of a point guard. And I think that that didn't necessarily have the greatest progress. I think, you know, they were still talking about how that needs to improve. And I think, you know, even as of last night, I think that could have improved when he was relied on to kind of handle things in the fourth quarter against Real Madrid. So I think if he can something clicks for him and that like those areas, I think that would be a very important, like kind of under the radar swing factor as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I like Jayden Hardy a lot. I loved that pickup when they got him.
Speaker 3: I think what was interesting last year was this the defense was so atrocious and you got rid of dfs, right, Dorian Finny Smith, and now you've got Grant Williams there, Like, how do you think he impacts what this team can do defensively on top of the two rookies who also want to be able to switch a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think definitely after that trade that you mentioned, like with moving Dorian Finny Smith, you know, in that Kyrie Irving trade, they like it was very staggering how small they were, Like I remember, I think it was like right before the All Star break. I think it was the last game against the Denver Nuggets. Like I was there and I was just kind of like shocked at how small they were. Like Michael Porter Junior is like a good six', Ten Aaron gordon's very big as. Well then you Have, jokic and they Had Dwight powell at the, five they Had Reggie bulock at the, four and then they Had Justin holliday who's like one hundred and eighty pounds at the. Three for that game is, well he didn't play in that, game but they started utilizing him. More and Then Josh green is you, know like six six as. Well so that was a very small sort of like three through five to have and that ended up being the case against a lot of. Teams so then they kind of just started throwing stuff at the. WALL i guess you could, say like playing big lineups Like Christian wood Alongside Dwight, Powell Maxi kliba after he you, know got healthy and just trying a lot of different stuff and that didn't end up being an answer as. Well so they kind, of you, know as you, said went to the drawing board and they managed to Get Grant. WILLIAMS i do like how he he. Fits he you, know he switched a lot with The celtics that was successful for. THEM i think that's ideally what you, know like you, know The mavericks would like to have is that versatile option that can handle multiple positions and kind of stifle those initial actions for opposing teams when they're getting into their. Offense AND i think that's the really. Lacked like he's not like the six foot nine wing by any. Stretch he's six, six but he's definitely like he's like two hundred and forty, Pounds like he's got more of that bigger. Frame, yeah he's definitely. Big, yeah he's very, big and he can handle like those matchups a lot. Better and, YEAH i just think like there was some regression from some of their guys that they had last, Season LIKE i Think Reggie, bollock LIKE i don't think he was containing the ball nearly as well as he had in the, past and you, know they were coming off of A Western Conference finals run that took a lot of games and a lot of, workload SO i, think you, know maybe there was some regression there from that. Standpoint getting different personnel in there definitely as. Important AND i, think you, know some of my fret actually touched on earlier Was Josh. GREEN i think that's an important. Player he'll probably start at the three IF i had to like make a prediction right now based off what's out there for like like what the you, know coach Of savas said and what's kind of happening. Games AND i think his. Development he's improved as a shooter of the last couple of, years but you, KNOW i think they haven't really utilized him too much as a playmaker. Yet there's been some times where he's like handled the. Ball luke has been a screener for. Him kyrie has been a screener for. Him but you, KNOW i think in, general just seeing his, progression if he's willing to take you, know like those tougher contested threes when they come his, way being more comfortable doing that and just making plays in the half, COURT i think he could really elevate their unit if that, happens because he has some really interesting, qualities like he can leave his feet deep on a drive and just make like almost like a rugby, pass like from you, know probably what he played In australia in the. Past there's a lot of different like elements to, That like he's just can finish through contact as, well like on the way. Up he can just get, contact take take the contact and finish on the way. Down like just a lot of unique stuff you don't see from role, players uh like on the wing that. Much SO i think if he you, know if that all comes, together that could be a very important factor for their team this season for.
Speaker 3: Sure. Yeah he was somebody THAT i definitely wanted to ask you about because along the, way there were multiple trade you know machine type of rumors that went, around, right and every single time it was, Like MAVs will not Include Josh green in a. Trade what is it About Josh? Green because they haven't yet extended. Him he is eligible now AND i think it's the final year of his, deal.
Speaker 1: Right and uh, yeah, YEAH i think he's got till like like Late, October, yeah a couple of weeks from now until the deadline for that extension for.
Speaker 3: Sure, Right so the QUESTION i guess, is like what do they see in him that makes them so reluctant to include him in any of those.
Speaker 1: TRAITS i think the big thing is, that you, know when you think of the like typical three AND d, player, uh he has those qualities like we were talking about that are just very. Interesting like he could just blow by a close out very. Well he can you make passes that you just don't see like usually that would end in turnovers by you, know like a normal three AND d wing that got caught doing too much with the ball in their. Hands AND i think there's been there's more untapped potential with, him think like high pick and rolls coming off. Handoffs they've experimented with, that like in this preseason so far as a, team including With Josh, green playing more out of handoffs and you, know having more like activity instead of relying on as many pick and. Rolls AND i think like he just kind of fits in that in that sort of style where he can just, catch like get the, ball turn the corner and just explode to the rim like there if that ends, up you, know like there's a lot of things that are experimental in the preseason that don't end up coming to fruition in the regular. Season but you, know that could be something to watch related to his. Impact BUT i do think defensively is a big area as. Well he actually was Like australia's top on ball defender during The World cup and he's he's wanting to fill that role for The MAVs this. Season like he, said they wanted to have a bigger defensive presence and you, know they they're trusting him to do, that AND i think how that transpires with the results will, be you, know definitely interesting to. SEE i think he's he's. Ready he physically has the. TOOLS i think he's ready for. It he can really like contain quicker, guards like run around screens and navigate those. Well AND i think he's got you, know some some pretty good like like strength to his frame as well to handle multiple. Positions SO i think that'll be a big factor because, actually like you, know when you look at Their Western conference finals, Run Reggie bolock handled those assignments like he was the guy Chasing Steph curry and players like, that and they need someone to fill that. Void AND i think their best equipped option would be you, Know Josh. GREEN i think that's kind of how they see.
Speaker 3: It, yeah of, course the like the lynchpin of things was going to be always How kyrie And luca co existed?
Speaker 2: Together, RIGHT a lot of times it felt like me and then, you and then who's going to be the guy.
Speaker 3: To close out? Games and both were a little too. Unselfish it felt like at some times it.
Speaker 2: Just didn't come.
Speaker 3: TOGETHER i think like we it maybe expected it, to or the optimists expected it.
Speaker 2: To how are those two going to?
Speaker 3: Coexist and like how is this chemistry continued to?
Speaker 1: BLOSSOM i guess, YEAH i think like so far there's been a hindrance in that process because of the injuries with the, preseason you, know they haven't had too much time and like actual real game action. Together but there was optimism with training, camp AND i guess you could say that's kind of the case with all thirty teams in THE. Nba you, know the BIG x factors are always going your way and everything like. That but you, KNOW i do think that there is like genuine reason for ogimism for. THAT i think they're on court results during like the general flow of the game was very, good like they're very efficient, offensively AND i, think as you, said you, know like the clutch time, situations that's something they even said as, well like we were unselfish to a fault at times where you, know they're like you got, it, no you got, it and then oh the clock's running down and oh it's a turnover like or a bad shot or you, know things like. THAT i think those get worked out as you have more you, know time to build that continuity. Together but you, know as we as a theme in this whole episode is kind of the availability of those. Guys you can't build that continuity until you are on the floor together for long periods of time and you go through those situations with actual margin for air to go through, them like that must win environment after a trade near the trade. Deadline that's a really high stake situation where other teams are used to their personnel and you're just figuring each other. Out SO i think if they actually can't manage to stay healthy for this early season, stretch like you, know the first quarter of games and really like build that sort of familiarity and continuity, TOGETHER i think that would go a long. WAY i do think there's also more of A i, guess like as we were saying earlier about the willingness to kind of play with handoffs and things of that, NATURE i think there could be more flow to the offense that utilizes you, know like kind of like THE i guess you coul, say the presence of each, other like instead of having it be your, turn my, turn as it has been at times like last. Season SO i think those are those are some important things for them to kind of work through as adding those those layers to half court offense where they're both utilized And luca can also get the needed breaks that, he you, know needs to. Get kyrie did mention like at times Post All Star break after that trade that he didn't want to step in and really like kind of just really change everything that they're. Doing he wanted to fit in with a team that, was you, know at the, time they were fourth in The west when they made the, trade and things you know obviously unraveled with the missing the playing. Tournament BUT i think with having that kind of clean slate and a new template to kind of work through how they want to approach, THINGS i think it'll be you, know there'll be opportunity to handle it the way they want to handle.
Speaker 3: It Was kyrie's role as like a locker room. Guy is he going to be more of the leader, now like because you Lose Jalen, brunson And Jalen brunson.
Speaker 2: Was reported to be the dude that was like the connective.
Speaker 3: Tissue and it sounds like from kind of WHAT i gathered from what you just, said is That kyrie might have more of a vocal.
Speaker 1: Role, yeah that's. CORRECT i think he's also been very helpful for you, know as he has in other teams of his, career like with young players as, Well like he a lot of them when you ask them about players that have helped them out and things of that, nature with like you, know pointers and just general, wisdom and especially these, rookies they usually will bring Up Kyrie, irving you, know HE i think he has a lot of passion for passing down. Knowledge AND i think that's even like especially with like a guard Like Jayden, hardy like being able to learn from Like Luka doncic And Kyrie irving even by example or whether intentionally with you, know on court. INSTRUCTION i think that's definitely a benefit that they have going for, them AND i think that's a way he can be a. Leader BUT i do think he does have a you, know pretty prominent voice with how you, know things. Operate LIKE i think his his presence on a team that has a lot of key players that are pretty. YOUNG i, think like a lot of the role players are, older but LIKE i think his presence is definitely valued by all of. Them like even last, year like After Maxi kleeba hit a game winner against The lakers on the, road like he, credited you, know having that calm, presence like With kyrie on the court in a game That luca wasn't basically available to play because of, injury that was you, know that's definitely another way that he can make that. Impact AND i think they've a lot of those. PLAYERS i guess you could say they made some changes to the roster where you, know they've switched out, pieces but some of those holdover players will probably already have that familiarity with that sort of presence That kyrie. Brought AND i think the new players are mostly you, KNOW i guess you say younger that respect, him grew up watching, him and you, Know Grant williams has a lot of respect him as. Well they were on The Players association, together so they've already like worked together on, things you, know beyond the game of. Basketball so there's there's some interesting connections. There AND i think he's got a relationship With Jason. Kidd you, Know Jason kidd was a player that he looked up to as a, kid and he always talks about, how you, know good their relationship, is and he's someone that he respects all SO i think all that pieces together to him being an important, presence you, know for the team as a.
Speaker 3: WHOLE i want to because you Mentioned Grant, williams is he going to be the guy that brings like levity to the locker room because him And lucas shar an agent Obviously Bill. Duffy but on top of, that everybody says That Grant williams is kind of like a, clown kind of a. Jokes you're very, vocal very. Loud Even Derek white, said you, know we have more peace In boston now because his voice is. Gone is that what we can expect from him?
Speaker 1: Too, yeah he's he's been very much a vocal. Leader like him and Actually Derek lively are very vocal like on court leaders like calling out coverages and things of that. Nature BUT i think in the locker, room you, know With lively being a, rookie that's not necessarily the place you know to be with, Leadership but With Grant, WILLIAMS i think that's definitely where he he FETs is that vocal leader to kind of be a like level, headed you, know person to kind of keep you, know LIKE i guess you could say like superstars kind of aligned and you, know help uplift young players as, well and just keep people on the message for what the coaching staff. Wants you, know he's he basically mentioned that he would really like to embrace that and bring that from what he's done in the. Past SO i think that's definitely where an area you can expect him to impact The.
Speaker 2: MAVs what do you think The MAVs?
Speaker 3: Do, like where do you think they end up in the Standings if you had to, GUESS i.
Speaker 1: Would say probably around like that six sixth. SPOT i would say probably around, there and if things don't go well with, health they probably have to like really battle it out for you, know one of those playing. SPOTS i do think that there's just a lot of things where you, know we even just the things that we've talked, about where it's like if this thing goes, well if this thing goes, well and that one also does go, well then they could do. This like it's just a lot of things to have go right for you in a situation in THE nba where eighty two games is a lot for relying on things going right for you at. Once SO i, think you, know maybe the following season they could have a little more predictability where you, know there's more experience For omax And lively and you know what you have in, them and you, know right now it's a little unpredictable for how they're going to make that impact until you kind of see it in THE nba like regular season. Situations but for all we know is you mentioned With Walker, kessler Maybe lively exceeds the expectations early and that really just changes trajectory for. Things but as of right, NOW i would definitely say with all the swing, FACTORS i would say probably the sixth spot is probably a pretty fair like estimation UNLESS i go through the whole west AND i just really think it in, detail And i'm, Like, OKAY i mentioned.
Speaker 3: Seventeen The west is so tough, too because you Got okac in. There now it looks like they're going to take another, step, Right so it's just the Whole Utah, God John, COLLINS i don't want to Give utah too much, credit BUT i Think Yonte george could be really.
Speaker 2: Good obviously The clippers when they're. Healthy it's just The west is, tough, Dude The west is really. Tough i'm curious about last. Year you mentioned not making the play in.
Speaker 3: Tournament that was like that was a huge deal in terms of how it all went. Down to get to the opportunity where you can Get Derek lively and not have to give your first round pick over to the Next is that that's not something that we would see, again right because they own their own first round.
Speaker 1: Pick, actually the theoretically that could be an opportunity because the protection conveys through twenty twenty, five so and it's all lottery protected for each of those. Years so, theoretically if they were late in the season and they were in that, position they could choose to do that. Again but that that With luca wanting to, win that's. That, yeah that's a, tough a tough thing, to you, know bounce back with all this Optimism i've off season moves and then be, like, oh by the, way it's lottery. Time you, know have you very.
Speaker 3: Challenging we saw how that worked With Damian lillard right when they shut him down and ended up you, Know blazers got scoot and immediately asked for a. Trade that does that loom over this team at? All, like from what you can, gather is Is luca's happiness something that's constantly in the minds of those who make.
Speaker 1: Decisions, YEAH i do think that they're very cognizant of. IT i think you can see as well with like you can also just actions are the best like kind of indicator as. Well like you could see that they moved a twenty thirty pick swap For Grant williams and that three team sign and, Trade AND i don't think you really like move a twenty thirty pick swap and then a twenty twenty nine first For Kyrie irving and things like that if you're not really like feeling the, like we have pressure to win, now AND i think the stakes get elevated as well when you know he's used to winning coming from Real, madrid and then you have A Western Conference finals run and it's, like how do we go From Western Conference finals the Champions, well you went From Western Conference finals to playing like missing the playing, tournamentally that's that's a big high and a big low or a low, LOW i should, say to have kind of. Simultaneously SO i definitely think another season of that would be very concerning for.
Speaker 3: Sure definitely stuff to keep in mind all the way From. Madrid Grant, assef thank you so much for your.
Speaker 2: Time we will definitely do this.
Speaker 3: Again we're gonna check in because, MAN i think that The MAVs are one of the most fascinating teams because it could go really really well or it could go off the rails pretty, quick AND i think everybody kind of.
Speaker 1: Knows, yeah it's there's a lot of a lot of what, ifs for, sure many many what.
Speaker 2: Ifs thanks so much for joining, me.
Speaker 3: Man i'll let you get some sleep or get some dinner or whatever is coming next.
Speaker 1: For, you and thank you thanks for having.
Speaker 3: Me that's all the time that we have this episode of The Heat. Check many thanks To Grant asseth learned a ton about The. Mavericks he is also kind of pessimistic about, Him so that tells you pretty much everything that you need to.
Speaker 2: Know, Marquise, BABY i did this for.
Speaker 3: You what do you think?
Speaker 2: NOW i had a dispute.
Speaker 3: With one of my good friends and he thinks The MAVs are for, real SO i had to have Grant on just to prove him. Wrong that's how fucking PETTY i. Am come back later this week for an all new. Episode check out the feed for past episodes and many episodes which drop, unexpectedly and follow The Heat Chef.
Speaker 2: Check as we head into.
Speaker 3: An all NEW nba, season do not forget to, download, subscribe and tell your friends and follow us on social at this heat check and At Tristter creek on, TikTok instagram And. Twitter we'll see You.
Speaker 2: Monday