Speaker 1: I missed you, girl.
Speaker 2: Girl, let me tell you something I missed you too.
Speaker 1: Look at that tricep though you like that? Yeah, I mean for a guy that doesn't even lift anymore, you got a nice try try.
Speaker 2: I lift a little bit. I left a little bit.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: You said you're just doing peloton, but you're not like curling iron.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I got a couple of weights that I curl every now and then, just to you know, keep my shit quick.
Speaker 1: Oh. I just thought you were doing you were you were on a quarantine trip where you were just like Cardio nothing else.
Speaker 2: No, I thought you were about to say carbs and nothing else. Yeah, I'm doing that too though.
Speaker 1: By the way, A lot of love, A lot of love for the first animation we put out.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it, and it's so funny. It's only thirty seconds, but I've watched it like nine hundred times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like when we first heard the uh, when we first heard the theme song. I remember how crazy we were going for the theme song when we first heard it.
Speaker 1: For those of you who don't know this company, Cartooner Radio is an animation company in Brooklyn, and they did an animation of Moment of Donald and my podcast of this podcast, and they just you know, tagged us on Instagram and we thought it was so funny. We hit them up and said, you know, can we work out a situation where we'll obviously pay you, but will you do like some quick little thirty second moments from the podcast. And they thought that was awesome, and so now we we're starting to roll some of them out. In the first one we just put on our Instagram today, although this was this was this was this will be like a week, this will be a this will be like a week later. But anyway, they did the moment with Donald giving Jeff Zucker and noogies, and the animation is so funny. Dude, your eyes are all.
Speaker 2: Fucked bloodshot, dude, Like they knew I smoked that ship and they knew I drank that ship that night.
Speaker 1: Well, we did talk about how fuck uff we were, yeah.
Speaker 2: But I didn't talk about how I smoked that ship. Like when you when you drink, your eyes don't get red like.
Speaker 1: That hot pink. But what they got, you, you know what they got. Maybe they're listening and they got because another episode I mentioned how when you're hammered you like this this. What do you call this?
Speaker 2: When you do this? It's a high step. I got that shit from you, though, dude.
Speaker 1: Right anyway, just a drunk high step. And then when they in the animation, when you're headed over to Zuker, you're like, get over that. Shit's hilarious. It's funny out loud and what I love about on Instagram. I'm sure they're doing it on yours too. People are like saying, Oh, you got to do this moment, Oh you gotta do the washcloth to be you gotta do this.
Speaker 2: They are doing that. What's crazy is that I think you need to tell each and every one of your followers that you demand that they follow me or fuck off, because.
Speaker 1: I would never followers don't.
Speaker 2: I don't listen. I look at what your numbers are, and I look at what my numbers are on Instagram, and I gotta be honest with you, I'm a little jealous. Dude.
Speaker 1: You're assuming that they're all scrubs folks. They might be some people that love Garden State and uh.
Speaker 2: And so where are my clueless people at? Huh? Where am I remember the Titans people at? Where my motherfucking I'm telling you right now, where my motherfucking waiting to exhale people at where my parents ransome people at, where my tripping people at, where my listen. I'm gonna put it out there, man, because where they at they need to represent.
Speaker 1: Where your Homie Spamoni people wear them.
Speaker 2: Homie Spamoni, where my next day people at? Yo? Come on now.
Speaker 1: Homie Spamoni is a film that Donald made. It's basically the plot of The Jerk, except instead of a white baby being dropped off at a black family's home, Donald's a black baby that's dropped off at an Italian family's home.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not even dropped off. They literally kidnapped me pretty much.
Speaker 1: Oh they kidnap you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They find me floating in the river in Italy and the mom kidnaps me like like Moses. Uh, well yeah, I guess so. But Moses was you know.
Speaker 1: Wasn't Moses put in a basket.
Speaker 2: And yeah, trying to escape?
Speaker 1: Yes, I have my old Testament? Right, Well didn't they put Moses? Who the wife?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, Moses, and then Pharaoh's wife found her, found him out.
Speaker 1: I went to Hebrew school. Now, Donald, I have a question for you, Homies Pomoni for those of you who don't know, will be.
Speaker 2: Goldberg, the Great and the Great Paul Mooney, the great Paul Mooney.
Speaker 1: Now do you Tony Rock? You do an Italian New York accent? Right, dude, give us gamp.
Speaker 2: You want to hear a sample of my accent? This is the character right, listen, all right, my name's Renato, right, and this is how we do things where I'm from. Okay, it's very simple. It's almost like a New York accent too. It's like a New York you know.
Speaker 1: I've seen a lot.
Speaker 2: It was a lot thicker back in the day when I was doing it. It was so hard like it was thick, you know. Jamie Lynn Siegler, right, yes, yes, your love interest. She was my love interest on it. She's like you sound like the guys I grew up with.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a compliment because it was a compliment. I think she's a Jersey girl, is she? I don't know.
Speaker 2: They got a lot of Italians in Jersey.
Speaker 1: Listen, I gotta tell you something. I've never seen that movie. But if you, dude, you've never seen anything I've been I've seen a lot of not bullshiting, man.
Speaker 2: I remember I showed you. Fucking remember the time. I was like, yo, just watch remember the Titans on the Plane. You got halfway through it and you were like, I mean, no, it's cool.
Speaker 1: That's not a true story. That's not a true story. I'm gonna watch that film because I know how much people love it, and I love Denzel, I love.
Speaker 2: So you've never seen remember the Titans.
Speaker 1: I have never seen Remember the Titans.
Speaker 2: See that's what I'm talking about, right there, guy.
Speaker 1: But you didn't read the Garden State script, so fuck off.
Speaker 2: But I saw the Garden State script and you don't.
Speaker 1: You didn't even hold the script in your hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did. I know.
Speaker 1: I said I would like you to read this, and you said, are there any black people in it? And I said there's two, but you're not right for them. And I already cast method man And you said.
Speaker 2: That I'm not going to read it. That's right, I do. That is true. But I will tell you this, what a dick, dude.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna watch Remember the Titan. You know I'm gonna watch it tonight. We're looking for a movie for tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please do all right, I'm telling you right now.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna lay it down. I'm gonna pay down the log. You know you have?
Speaker 2: Well my kick ass two people at yo?
Speaker 1: Where y'all at? Kick cass too? If you Donaldson? Kick ass too? Donald is now.
Speaker 2: Talking about Donald and where y'all at?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're circling back to Instagram. Well, Donald, I'm sorry that you're upset about this, but the good not upset.
Speaker 2: I'm just a little jealous.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that you should give some love to the people that are following you and so they don't feel like what we don't matter to you, Donald.
Speaker 2: No, they definitely matter.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 2: People that following me right now, I love you. I love you traumatic to me. Yes, you are special to me, and we together are building a great foundation and an institution. What is necessary right now is for you to tell your friends that six hundred thousand isn't enough.
Speaker 1: Tell your friends, tell your wife. Listen. Today's a very special episode of this show because today's the first time we're having on as our guest, someone who was not on the show, someone who had nothing to do with the show, but I wanted to have him on. We wanted to have him on because he's an incredible writer and amongst many things that he's written. He's written a self published book about scrubs that I'm going to promote many many times. It's called Where Do You Think We Are? And it's ten illustrated essays about scrubs and was written by shayse Rano and it was illustrated by Arturo Torres and it is really awesome. And he is I don't know how well you know Shay Donald. We'll get We're gonna get him on before you tell me any anything about how you well you know him, But I follow him on Twitter and he's very entertaining.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know him well, to be honest with you. But before we get into that five six Stories, I'm that show we made about a bunch of said he's a stories.
Speaker 3: So YadA.
Speaker 1: Ya wait for it.
Speaker 2: There he is wait fresh cutting everywhere.
Speaker 1: There he is fresh. Therey is Oh man, it's so nice to finally meet you. I am I am like one of your one of your many many Twitter followers, and I feel like I know you. But it's so nice to finally meet you in person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm excited. I'm really excited to be here. I've been I've been waiting on hold since twelve in the afternoon for three hours now just to I don't want I don't want to miss it. I didn't want to miss this one.
Speaker 1: You know, you've been sitting there. You've been sitting there.
Speaker 2: We didn't put you on hold. You just this was like a self proclaim hole.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to get He didn't want to fuck up Donald. So he's been sitting there with his mic Now, Shaye, before you say anything, I got to tell you. I was doing research for the show on you because I know you for being very popular on Twitter. I encourage you to follow Shae and we'll get his handle out before the show ends. But he h, I'm reading all about you and your career is amazing. But I I started reading like he wrote.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is second book was called the Rap Year Book, the most important rap song from every year since nineteen seventy nine. Then he's got another book called Basketball and Other Things that Obama said was one of his favorite things. And then he's got another And I'm sitting here going I'm gonna lose Donald Faison to share like I'm sitting here being like this was a this was a bad idea. The man has written best selling books on rap and basketball and I'm going to lose.
Speaker 2: Him and you know what I love and you know what I love?
Speaker 5: Oh shit, you know what. What's what's funny is is, uh, I got a chance. I met Donald one time. I don't know if you remember.
Speaker 2: I do remember. I remember look his book. Before I even read the book.
Speaker 5: Oh you read it?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so I didn't read hold On.
Speaker 1: He read the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, but before before I even knew that it existed, Zach was like, you were coming on and I looked you up on uh, I googled you, and I was like, oh, I met this dude. I met this dude. And when I was going to do first take, I thought you were going to do first take that day. Also, but I also met you. Your wife was with you, right, is that your wife? Yeah? And she and I got to talk a little bit more than you and I did. But I remember, I mean, and then I read the essay and you made it seem like you were like all crazy, like holy shit, holy shit, you got a little bit cooler than that.
Speaker 5: Now in my head his head, yeah, absolutely, inside of my head. There's only been a few times in my life I was Starstruck.
Speaker 2: But it was me, Denzel Washington and Michael Jordan.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, I know, I know, I'm watching you walk in that room. I don't know if it's because I was surprised or because I had just finished, Like I was already working on the Scrubs thing, so I had gone through the whole series again, whatever it was. But yeah, when you walked in there, I was like, holy fucking shit, Like I was trying so hard not to not to wig out.
Speaker 2: You took you were there for You were there for a book, right, You were there for another book, but it was it wasn't the rap book. It was the basketball book right now?
Speaker 5: Was the basketball one? Came out in twenty seventeen, October of last year. I did movies and other things, movies, and so that's when I was in I was in New York, you know, doing all the press stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, Rich, I'm sorry before we.
Speaker 1: Talk, little word in Edgeway. See, this is what's gonna happen. This is my nightmare, right Joelle. They just suddenly they turned my mic down and they just go off.
Speaker 2: Well, I just wanted to get into the basketball thing, get into you said, you think my game would be more like, like you imagine my game being like PJ. Tucker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm gonna agree with that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna agree I knew it.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna agree with that. I'd watched enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, a lot of jump shots, some defense, very competitive and talks a lot of shit. Yeah that's me.
Speaker 5: That's about right.
Speaker 2: I wish I had a little bit of a you know, a silkier game. I wish my game was more like Klay Thompson. But PJ. Tucker was spot on. Man, he's a he's a great uh. I don't even know if you would consider him a role player. He's just like a glue guy, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's in a sin player on that Rocket team. I lived in lerrman, I lived in Houston for fourteen years, so we were there like when he showed up. And then he's one of those guys who, like, if you go to the city where he's playing, everybody there just fucking loves him. Yeah, because all the stuff he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, Shaye, I have a question, do you know, do you have your book? Like could Donald about your wrap book? And Shaye is everything he writes becomes a best seller, including the Rap Yearbook the most Important rap song from every year since nineteen seventy nine, discussed, debated, and deconstructed. Billboard said this was one of the best one hundred best music books of all time, which, holy shit, man, congratulations on an accomplishment like that.
Speaker 2: Round of thunderous applause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, please put in some thunder's applause. You won't hear it, Shay, so just imagine it. It's just it's like a stadium. You listen to the podcast, right, Shaye. I've seen you on so you know you know how Dan really brings the thunderous applause. Now, Shay, if Donald were to say, because Donald loves rap, if you were to like mention a year, you don't have this memorize, right, or do you? If he would just say, like if Donald were to be like, all right, ninety seven, would you be like, oh, this is what I wrote about that.
Speaker 5: I believe, so ninety seven is puff daddy. If I'm not mistaken, which one I want to say, you.
Speaker 2: Can look it up.
Speaker 1: It's so good as sad as I am about how much how well you guys are hitting it off. I just feel like once this rap conversation starts, It'll be Donald's favorite conversation in the world because he really really loves rap, like as long as I've known him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the best music in the world. It was a can't Nobody Hold Me Down?
Speaker 2: Can't know okay with him and Mace, with him and.
Speaker 5: Mace, Yeah, Okay, that was that one because because that was when when when rap had like they were doing the whole shiny suit thing. It was like it became all about opulence and.
Speaker 1: High bullium and the high Williams of Mint music videos, right.
Speaker 5: That those ones came a little bit. Yeah, so right right around then, I remember.
Speaker 1: Around ninety seven, I just picked ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Can't Nobody Hold Me Down? Was a wasn't a HiPE william Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Miss saying because I was when I was peeing fresh out of college. I was peeing on rap videos in New York and I don't really know the music that well, but I remember like HiPE Williams was a god at the time. And that's just right around the time all those Mace Puffy videos were coming out.
Speaker 2: That was the one where they went in the desert, right And isn't j Lo in it too?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's in that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yea, yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Donald, do you want to pick a year now that he's got it up, just pick sure?
Speaker 2: I mean, but I mean, okay, ninety two, that's a hard one.
Speaker 5: Nineteen ninety two, Oh, like I don't have I don't have the book up. I was looking at the song I wanted to me to put you on I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I just wondered that you knew, ye that's no voice. But I will say I know, like I know. Ninety two was nothing but a g thing.
Speaker 1: That was wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a right, that's a great, great record, man, right, record that was really really good. That Chronic was one of oh my gosh, man, there were a lot of great albums that came out, though. I feel like in ninety two, you know what I mean, that was it. Yeah, I graduated, I think from high school.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty I liked that song rolling down the street smoking and sipping on gin and juice.
Speaker 5: That was so that's not the Doggie style album. And there's like there's like a constant debate between which is a better G funk album, between between the Chronic and Doggi style.
Speaker 2: Both the dope man.
Speaker 5: Pick one, Pick one? Which one do you want to listen to right now?
Speaker 2: Ship man? Well, because no, because what happened is with.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 2: What happened is it's hard, man, because Doggie Style, Nate Dogg, all these cats are on that record. Man on this it's hard because you know what, I take it back, I go chronic. But just because of Deep Cover, I could feel it.
Speaker 5: I heard that ship.
Speaker 2: I remember when Deep Cover of the movie came out and that song was on the deep Cover soundtrack, and my boy played me that ship and we listened to that ship over. We listened to that song over and over and over again. And this is before the beef with East Coast West Coast stuff, and it was just like, Yo, this is the this is the dopest thing I ever heard in my life.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's one of the one of those moments where you like, I've never heard something like this, Yeah you're snoop sort of lollygagging out into song like who yeah is this guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah that and the beat was fucking fire and fucking and then the cook was yeah, and you don't stop because it's one eight seven on an undercover cop was.
Speaker 1: Still ever make a documentary about this because I read that there was talk of it.
Speaker 5: Did they ever make it a documentary about you?
Speaker 1: Of your book?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, yeah yeah. So what happened is a production company got the rights for it, and then we signed up with the Roots. They became like executive producers on it, and then they sold it to We sold this series to AMC and they did a six episode thing where it was like six episodes. Each episode was about one particular song. They're an hour long, and so it became like a videover. It was really cool. I got to go out to New York. They did like a concert, The Roost did a concert before that, and then they showed the the one of the episodes is the one that they did on on Jesus Walks, and it was it was really really cool to.
Speaker 1: What It's so cool because as I'm listening to you talk about it, I mean, I just think it would be such an amazing I can understand why it be amazing series. I wouldn't check that out.
Speaker 5: I definitely yeah, it was great, you know what as neat is. So they we got all signed up and they like, we sold the series and they started working on it and they gave me a phone call and they're like, hey, do you want to call in, and like we're brainstorming and helping out doing whatever, and I was like, oh yeah, yeah, like that'll be cool because I like I know a lot about REP. We're doing this whole thing. And I called in and Black Thought and quest Lever both in there and like everything that somebody brought up, like I had like a third hand story, like oh yeah, I heard a story about a party that happened at this thing, and no matter what it was, Quest Lever Black Thought, they were like, oh yeah, I was at that party. I rode to I was like, okay, I don't want to I don't want to help anymore. Like yeah, guys, clearly you got this. I was gonna fall back.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, I've been at some places like where crazy things happened, like and I was just I just happened to be there when the things happened, like you know what I mean, Like I was at the party where Biggie got killed. You know what? Yeah shit, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you did you did you hear like.
Speaker 2: The yeah, I heard I heard gun I was outside, so I heard the gunshots. I also I spoke to him before all of it happened.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, you never told me this. You saved this for Shay. Dude.
Speaker 2: You're not a hip hop You're not a hip hop.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not a hip hop dude, but I'm a pop culture fan. You could have told me you were at that fucking event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, I was at that event event and I spoke to him, and then the next morning I found out he was there. I actually found out that night that he had gotten shot. Somebody came around the corner and told me, you know, yo, they just fucking got big, and I was like, get the fuck out of here. And I remember telling Ricky Bell from Bell Bib Devaux and he was like, shut the fuck up, dude, you don't know what you're talking about. And then the next morning, my boy Dion Richmond called me up on the phone and was like, Yo, they killed big last night. And I was like holy and and I was like, holy shit, I was there, dude, I was. I spoke to him right before, you know what I mean, I've did this couple of instances, like I was at Nell's the night all that shit went down with Tupac and the girl on the dance floor and stuff like that. Like I was at the I was at the club hanging out with my friends and stuff like that, and I was there like just a bunch of things. Man, it's weird. It's it's my connection to hip hop runs deep.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I love I love it so much. And when I was, when I was younger, I would be You would frequently find me at some of these events that were considered you know, later on that were considered iconic or pivotal moments in artists careers, especially in Tupac's and bigs. Those were two big moments. One one was the death of one and one was where everybody started looking at somebody as a true troublemaker, which was bullshit, but that was that was what. From that moment on, Tupac's lane shifted from you know, actor rapper to activists to you know, his whole run with death Row and the whole East Coast, West Coast Beef and all of that stuff. A lot of it stemmed from that moment.
Speaker 1: He wasn't even do you think anything.
Speaker 2: I wasn't that, I wasn't I don't know right right, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like that butterfly effect thing when one thing happens and then it causes everything to happen.
Speaker 2: If I take myself out of the equation, everyone would have got everybody would have got Donald.
Speaker 1: Donald like bumped into some waiter who then got into bad mood and was rude to Tupac, and all of a sudden.
Speaker 5: All this shit happened because Donald did do either of y'all follow a writer named Cheo Hadari Coker. No, Okay, so he he like works on a ton of stuff, but he like worked on the biggie movie Low Riders, creed to like a bunch of the stuff that I like. So I started following him. But just today he was talking about, uh, I think it was today, Maybe might have been last night or yesterday, but he was talking about when when Tupac did Juice, And he was saying, like when he got the role of Bishop, which is like the guy who causes all the trouble in it, Like that was the beginning of his like gangster rapper, Like it's set him on that path, right, Like that's just crazy to think about, Like a little thing like that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in Juice. I had a really tiny role in that movie. And the one thing I remember the most about that movie was the premiere and after seeing it, and you know, Tupac walking into the it was like a Lows on forty second Street or something like that. It was in Times Square, I remember that. And he walked into the area where everybody was being let out of the movie, and it felt like he had like the glow around, like the Bruce Leroy glow around him, man, because you just knew at that moment he was out of here. Man, Yeah, he was just out of here. That's when I became a fan of his, you know what I mean, Like as an actor, I you know, checked on his stuff all the time, all of the movies he made and stuff like that. When I was younger, I remember thinking he's a better actor than he is a rapper, dude.
Speaker 5: I remember thinking that's like an argument you could honestly, legitimately make like he was unbelievable as an actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was a very good actor.
Speaker 1: So she tell us like how you came to Scrubs and this this book, because I just I was so moved by a lot of that. I mean, it's funny your book, but also there's moments I was reading and that they would give me goosebumps, cause you articulate moments in Scrubs. Sometimes I think better than moments and Scrubs even were we right? And no, I mean and I appreciate that. We love what a fan you are. And I was reading something you wrote about the episode we're going to talk about today, my occurrence, and I got goosebumps when you wrote it. It was about it was about when I find out that Brent Fraser's character has leukemia and Judy's standing there, and I'm not bullshitting you. When I rewatched the episode today, it was even more moving than me. It was really unique. It was a really unique experience because I don't even remember the moment And then I read your essay in his book where do you Think We Are? And it gave me goosebumps. And then I rewatched the moment today and I was so much more moved by it because I had your backstory. So so I encourage you, if you're a Scrubs fan, to get this book. But anyway, I just wanted to know. It's a long question, but how did you come to Scrubs? And then how did you come to write this book?
Speaker 5: I came to Scrubs late. This was this was back when it was on Netflix, so it's a few you know, several years ago. I didn't. I had never really I didn't watch it when it was like on ABC or NBC or anything like that. But I started catching it when I think it showed up I got a Comedy Central, you know, on one of those like cable channels. I was like, this is this is like a cool show, but there was no way to like rewatch the whole thing. You just catch whatever episode you can. And then it popped up on Netflix, and Laramie, my wife, she also likes to shows, were like, oh, let's like I haven't seen like the first four seasons or something. Let's sit down and watch it. And so you like, that's how it started. It was a few years ago, and then it just became one of those shows that we watched our whole way through it. We we like fell in love with everybody on there. And it was one of the ones where it was like, it's been a long day and I needed to like unwind and relax and I need to like feel some emotions of some sort. So let me put put this one on because I think and I wrote this in a thing, but I think Scrubs is the best TV show ever at like balancing between those two worlds. You'll talk about it a lot of the time, like how hard of a transition that is to make from going from something like totally silly and like ridiculous immediately into something just outlandish or you know, like crazy serious. So that's how we started watching that show, and it just became like like a ritual. Every so often we're like, we're going to restart Scrubs again, We're gonna watch it, and then that's gonna be like what we do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I love it And you and your wife getting debates about the show. I saw, and part of the book is an email conversation you have about whether or not she likes JD or not. And I really appreciated your point of view more than Larmer because Laramie, Laramie loves the show, but it's JD's not her favorite character. And I appreciated Shay debating why he should.
Speaker 5: Be Yeah, yeah, that's like yeah. So that we started watching the show, and I realized, like you watch a show and depending on like who you are the type of person you are. Just watched it a little bit different than everybody else, and I realized at some point that we were very much watching the show differently. I was watching it waiting for like the JD moment to happen, when you like make your eyes water or you like say a thing real seriously, and she was watching it for like for like a Turk and Carlo situation or or a doctor Cox situation or whatever, and so like, we should let you know, let's talk about this a little bit.
Speaker 1: And that was my.
Speaker 2: Favorite, my favorite. I was skimming through the book because you know, I'm not but.
Speaker 1: You don't take it personally. He skimmed through the scripts for the episode one.
Speaker 2: I'm not a great reader, and my attentions, my my attention focused on to if j D and Turk were to ever do a buddy cop movie, what would it be? And you go through a bunch of a bunch of lists of what movies and I immediately went for Running Scared with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines, Like that's the immediate one I went to. And I was like, I bet you he doesn't have that on the list, And sure enough, it's right there. On list.
Speaker 1: We always over the years, we've always talked about it's never happened so far, but we've always talked about wanting to do a buddy cop or buddy movie of some kind together. I was obsessed with trying to do like a Spies Like Us thing, because I thought Donald and I could really do. We both love playing guy way in over his head and the idea, and like, I mean, I don't want to. I would never dare to attempt to remake Spies Like Us because I love that movie. But the premise of that, like two spies that are are fuck ups that get in way over their head, I thought Donald and I would be really funny at But but it's funny that you wrote a section of the book about that, because Donald and I always talked about wanting to do something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but like, yeah, go ahead, man, oh, I was gonna say. That's how you could tell. I was like, I had just finished up the movie book at the same time I was doing the Scrubs thing, and I had rewatched all of like Buddy Cop movies, and I was like, oh, this is like this makes too much sense.
Speaker 1: She didn't work.
Speaker 2: It does make sense, man, I think Turk and JD would and and it really comes through Zach on the episode, first episode that you directed, where we're doing the whole heathogram thing. It really comes through there, like that's a buddy cop movie or a buddy comedy in itself, right there, these two dudes going to adventure and it's a silly one too, so his boy can get some ass, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: With a letter from Elia. Actually, Shay, you wrote that in the in the book a little bit too, because you're talking about Molly Shannon's character in that episode. And that's one of my favorite episodes ever. I Uh, we bring it up a lot because it was a pivotal moment for me because it was the first one I got to direct, and it was it was epic and Donald and I went on a quest that all took place over in one night. You know it for budget, most of the time, we would you know, be confined to the hospital with with going out a little bit here or there. But you know, it's very expensive to bring a full film crew out into the real world. And and sometimes what Bill would do is he'd sort of save up so we'd have episodes that were mostly contained to the world of the hospital and then he'd use the budget money he'd saved. Then we'd do like a big ass one. That's why they'd be like the Wision of Oz or the medieval times or this one with Heather where we were, you know, out all night long. Yeah, I wanted to ask you, Shay, how I wanted to say, just before we get into the episode. I really am impressed by how hard you hustle and work. And you know, we're both on Twitter. We're all on Twitter, and I always see a lot of writers asking you for advice and how do I do it. I'm just so impressed with how hard you work. You write your ass off. You then go off and you really talk to your followers and say, hey, support the cause. I'm here working my ass off and I made a thing I think you're gonna like. And I don't know, I just I've always been impressed by how hard you work. And I wonder if you, if you wanted to, could speak to that for I don't know for anyone. It could be about anyone trying to go after their dream, but you you particularly do it with your writing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think that's that's probably like an extension of several different things. We grew up, like we live in San Antonio now that I grew up like on the other side of town, we were like real poor. Nobody was like finishing school or anything like that. So like that's always in the back of my head, like if shit goes wrong or if I make like a few mistakes, we could fall all the way back there. So that's that's part of it. But also like in the in the case of the the Scrubs thing, like this was a thing that I was publishing independently. That is, you weren't going to find it in bookstores. The only way anybody was going to find out about it was directly through me at the at the start of it, you know. So like I'm not gonna just sit there and cross my fingers and hope somebody like bats their way into it. Yeah, it's not you know, I'm trying to be like the guys at the at the fucking mall that comes spraying you with perfume, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm gonna be that. I'm gonna be that kind of salesperson.
Speaker 1: Or the guys in New York with the rap album they always trying to get you to buy there.
Speaker 2: There strong dude. That's the strongest hustle level, because there's a part of that hustle is also like strong arming you too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, I always do it.
Speaker 1: I always do it because I feel so bad. By the time you've walked two blocks with them, you're like, dude, I'm okay, okay.
Speaker 5: You there, slick. They're say they're smart. They're like, hey, hold this for me real quick. And then you hold it and they're like, all right, that's seven dollars. Like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Even I wasn't. I wasn't even I wasn't even trying to buy it, dude, I was.
Speaker 1: But they're the best salesman, those guys, because by the time you've walked a block of them, you're like, yeah, ye, I do need to hear this. You're right, that does sound good.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes it's like, dog, okay, just give me that ship.
Speaker 1: But then they're like, Donald, come on, Donald, keep it real. Donald. I seen.
Speaker 2: This is what I hate because I get a lot of this. I've seen you in the movies. Dog, don't let me. Don't fucking let me down. Now I didn't let you down. Don't let me down.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I always think, you know, in my career, the things I've done that you know, you have to put yourself out there. You have to really you know, I've write my own stuff. You get turned down a hundred times, and you just got to keep going and keep fighting for it and keep believing yourself. And I think that's one of the reasons I really like what you say and do on on Twitter, because you do a lot of philanthropic things as well, but you're also someone who's just like, I'm gonna do this on my own. Sometimes sometimes a publisher will publish it. Sometimes I'll publish it, but like I'm always going to be doing my own hustle, which I really appreciate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: So guys, we're getting the episode. But go buy Shay's book. It's called go to the website Sacred Heart Gang dot com. Correct, if you go to sacred If you go to Sacred Heart gang dot com, you can buy the book. It's a PDF you can download. It's twenty bucks. It's really worth it. It's amazing. I've seen some people on online or are printing it out and kind of making their own their own book. Out of it, but support independent writers. He self published this with amazing illustrations by Arturo Torres, and I can't I really recommend it if you're a Scrubs fan. It's it's very, very entertaining and even the parts Donald skimmed.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the illustrations real quick illustration. They they kind of look like the New York Times. I'm not the New York Times the Wall Street Journal. When they draw the pictures like they look like when somebody sits in front of you and poses and stuff like that, they're very they're very lifelike, almost.
Speaker 1: Like like a portrait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of kind of like a portrait. Yeah, absolutely, yes, especially the one with Brendan Fraser on the for the title of the book. You know what I mean with the inside, when you get to that moment and you even say at that moment, I didn't want to talk about the you know, I hate talking about this, and Zach you before we get into the store, I wanted to say this. Also it made also me watching the episode again, it made it more impactful for me because one, I knew how it was going to work out the way you laid it out in the book. I knew how it was going to end up, not only because I was in it, but because of that. But but but it made it more impactful because what the way you described all of what was happening, Uh, you really told the story. Well my point, you know, well.
Speaker 1: That's good writing when you're like when he's he's he's writing his thoughts on something we were a part of. And I never had this experience before. I mean, I guess occasionally when someone writes a good review of something you've done, maybe it's similar. But you're writing his thoughts on this moment, and it made the moment for me as a part of it more impactful. I thought that was really good.
Speaker 2: And then even where and then even where it stems from, how you bring it back to the episode where we lose you know, where one in three patients die when they go into the hospital and everything like that, how you connect the This is how Scrubs fucks you up. They fuck you up by making you think you know everything's all right, everything's all right, everything's all right, and then just when you're feel like you're out of the woods and you're safe, they drop the fucking hammer on you. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And by the way, this is how good Shaye's writing is. He preempted Brendan Fraser being on this podcast. So I want you to know, Shay that we and I'm telling bouncing to the fans right here and now, that the next episode will have Brendan Fraser on this podcast.
Speaker 5: That's perfect. That's perfect.
Speaker 1: So we want Shay's gonna come on and we're gonna talk through Brennan Fraser's first episode. Then the next episode we're gonna have Brennan Fraser come on and uh and talk about it and then uh, well eventually I guess it's season three, we'll get to uh, the big one. That's a lot of people's favorite episode of all time. This also when Brendan spoiler alert dies.
Speaker 2: This also is kind of a it's precursor the right word to that episode. Like this whole episode pretty much is a dream, dude.
Speaker 1: That I didn't even remember that by the way, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean foreshadowing, Yeah, a lot of foreshadowing, right I I I didn't remember that either. And I've truly went on this journey with JD through this whole episode of him trying to, you know, rationalize why this oh this is a false positive test. This test isn't it's not to code. They're fucking up all day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I even made a note, and I even made a note, Wow, Sacred Heart is making a lot of mistakes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also, by the way, first of all, I was so fucking uncomfortable with Judy hitting on me, and I didn't remember that at all, but because Donald's my best friend in the world, I was nervous that his TV wife was hitting me. I was like, my stomach was getting uncomfortable. And then I noticed a very subtle thing. I don't know if you guys noticed this, because I'm just very aware of the cinematography. I don't know if it was Larry Trilling who directed by We mentioned that Bill Laurance wrote this one and Larry Trilling, one of our favorite directors, directed it. And there was this weird sort of a very subtle filter on the camera for that fantasy, that long dream sequence, and I didn't remember that it was a dream sequence. I remember, like Jesus, why is this. It's usually a filter you would reserve for a close up of a woman of a certain age where you wanted to maybe soften her wrinkles, a little bit or her eyes. But if you go back and look, it's on that whole sequence. And I was kind of like, why is why is this filter on? Like what? And then I was like does this just look weird on my computer? Like what's going on? And then when it was revealed that the whole thing is a is a fantasy, I was like, Oh, that was like a little subtle thing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: There's lots of little subtle things either, but that's one thing I noticed with the cinematography.
Speaker 2: It makes you want to go back and watch it again.
Speaker 5: It's a good show.
Speaker 1: Show Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you when you get chased, when you guys get Shay's book, you're gonna want to when you read his essays, then you want to go back and go, Okay, now I got to rewatch that episode with this with this essay in mine. All right, we're gonna go to break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: And back. We're back.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna go into this episode.
Speaker 2: Guys, all right, I got one thing to say when we start off, What the fuck? How do why do we have like a cheese plate with a meat cheese meat plate the size of like when you go to a party, you know what I mean, Like, it's it's our cheese and and and we and we got like the rous version of cheese and meat. Like it's only cheddar. It's only cheddar and American and white white cheddar, yellow cheddar and American cheese.
Speaker 1: And then it's the worst cheese, proast, beef turkey. It's cold cuts, rolled up what kind of that?
Speaker 2: And we're drinking wine with that, And this is our and this is our night out from the hospital.
Speaker 1: It's our big fancy night. And Judy and Carla says she got a nice bottle of wine. And then Donald's right, if you freeze frame at five seconds on the plate we're talking about, it's basically cubes of cheddar and rolled up cold cuts. Well, maybe maybe the rationalization was that we didn't know we were just we were like, we were so busy being doctors. None of us are cooks, and we're like, oh, we're gonna have like an adult night. That's what we do. They have.
Speaker 5: So this is a good example of like one of the one of the reasons I like to rewatch the show so much, because every time you rewatch it, you're gonna find like another little neat thing in there. So I noticed that she's saying same same as y'all did when I rewatched it yesterday, and I was like, the only person in this room who is upset about the situation or the setup is Carla, which makes sense because she for that whole first season, second season, she's like the adult in the room. Yeah, and the other and and the other three are just sort of pretending to be adults, so they think like, this is what is supposed to look like.
Speaker 1: And probably Shaye, probably Turk and and UH and JD were probably tasked with getting a nice cheese place. We went to fucking the supermarket. We're like got one of those round jobs. Meanwhile, she went to the liquor store and bottle expensive.
Speaker 2: Right, and then we still fucked it up for how about?
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel bad talking like JD knowing so much about what celebrities are are naked and what move movies, But it was pretty funny when he's like frontal and touchus.
Speaker 2: They have something like that on the playboard. I mean, never mind, this.
Speaker 1: Is obviously before a website has existed, so it does come up in the episode, But I don't think we should actively advertise.
Speaker 2: Them unless you want to hear it. Let us know.
Speaker 1: Okay, hit up Donald on his Instagram on hit.
Speaker 2: Me up on my Instagram, but you gotta find only I will only respond if you follow.
Speaker 1: But make sure you follow him because he's very upset about his follower count. But uh, if you really, if you don't want to take the time to google it, just ask Donald on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Share you want some of this, man, We could we can hijack we can hijack some of Zach's followers, man, and get them on.
Speaker 1: On my followers. He's blowing up.
Speaker 2: What did Shay share some of yours with me? Brother?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right, one day one twelve, I was kind of taken, and I think this comes up in your essay. Say if I'm not mistaken. But we finally see Cox like someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: It seems that he seems to never like anybody or at least be snarky with anyone and everyone. This is this is sort of the first time that he's really uh, we see how much he genuinely is no bullshit has a friend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's really It's really like an interesting creation of a character is to put somebody in in his Orbit who just sort of takes away all of his like protective armor immediately, like he has another friend. Later on the show, Michael Boltman's character Ron when he shows up and they're like clearly close friends, but but at the same time they're like poking each other in the eye every once in a while with something. But Brendan Fraser's character Ben is the only time we see him where he is just wide open and like just having a good old time and he loves Yeah.
Speaker 1: It really mirrors the JAD And it's like his Turk in a way, just solely in the fact that like they're on you know, they're hugging, and they're and they're joking about hugging and and they're just very they're being playing silly games, the thing with the card on their head, and they're just like they're unabashedly themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all of the things that doctor Cox says annoys him about JD. Yeah, the things that Brent like he talks in the voices, he's very affectionate, and I'm saying like like, oh, this is like you begin to understand, this is like why he has such a fondness for JD is because he reminds him of this camera.
Speaker 1: That's great, Shay. I really love that analysis. And I didn't see it, but it's funny. I was watching Brendan Fraser's choice in this character for the first time in twenty years, and he is playing it very goofy and silly, and it's very JD like. And it's funny that you say that that I never thought of it like that. It's like you're seeing even though Cox has to keep it down because he has to be Cox to JD, there is the there must be some aspect of JD that reminds him of his good buddy.
Speaker 5: You know, there's no question about it, There's no question.
Speaker 1: I like when I go at the bar one twenty three, when I go neat Hug. Yeah, what a fucking tool, Neat Hug.
Speaker 2: This is something that kind of bugged me the whole time we made this show, but later on hindsight, being twenty twenty nowadays, it's I wish, I'm so happy that this happened. But Brendan Fraser brings a camera into the episode and it's a polaroid camera, old school polaroid, old school polaroid camera, and I'm not sure if we were doing this before or if this is where it started, but because of this moment right here, it's like I have polaroids from you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I can't answer this.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's let's get into it, because I I was wondering, we have all of these memories on celluloid because because of someone bringing a camera and then it became an.
Speaker 1: All began with this.
Speaker 2: Is this where it began?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So here's the thing. Krista Miller and I are both photographers our hobby, and we both are camera geeks. We love new cameras, we love old cameras, will like send each other eBay listings of cameras. She's a really talented photographer and I like to think I'm not too bad myself. When Brendan Fraser came in, this was his real hobby, shooting with these old school polaroids. As you guys see in the movie, the kind of polaroid film not that just comes out automatically. You pull it out and then you got it's like shake it like a poloraroid picture. These you actually did have to wait for a minute for them to cook, and then you'd peel it off and then'd be a beautiful a shot. And this camera that he's shooting with was actually Brendan's and he brought it in and of course, and he was taking pictures. All the pictures you see at the end of the episode in that tin that he has, we're all shot by him over the course of his week hanging out with us. And then Christa and I got, of course, got so into it. We're like, oh my god, we got to get one of those. Where do we buy them? And then over the years, Donald that you have a lot of polaroid pictures because I have a bunch of these cameras now right, And I'm sure I'm sure Chris has given you some too, because she does too, but the bulk of the ones you have, I'm sure. I got super into it, and I was going on eBay and buying all these old cameras. That's why. That's that's it all started with this.
Speaker 2: Okay, So all right, that's what I was, That's what I was running because it got ridiculous too at some point. At some point, it was like a battle between everybody who took pictures on the fucking show to bring in their new toy. You know what, I mean, whether it was a lika or a cannon, or a fucking or a point this is the This is the Rolls Royce of point and shoot, or this is the.
Speaker 1: How do you think I feel when you're talking about your new animation gadget? But listen, I it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't I don't go to you, dude, Man, I just fucking got a c stand. Man, I'm really excited. I don't hit you up and do that ship.
Speaker 1: No, But on your Instagram you post shit like I'm doing. All this is on the ones and I just got this new gadget called l R two five nine. You think I give a funk how you're animating? Just showed me to show me to finish product.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: But He's right. In addition to Christ and I, there's also a huge camera department and and uh and with also you know, everyone in the camera department loves cameras. So yeah, there was a lot of camera talk on the side. I'm sorry we annoyed you with that.
Speaker 2: It wasn't annoying. I look back at it now and I'm so grateful for it because I have all of these memories captured.
Speaker 1: Yes, now I want to know why JD. Who's we've established as a very good doctor, all beit young is passing out at a nail in someone's hand. I mean, hasn't he seen far with things?
Speaker 2: That ship is gross s though, no matter how you look at it, man, really how you for some reason he's.
Speaker 1: He's fucking cleaned out people's rectums.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when the ship's still in you, that's scary, man, because it has to come out. And when it comes Look you see in the movies, all right, you ready, one, two, three, and then they pull it and the person it's like that was the first thing I thought about, Like they got to take that shit out.
Speaker 1: It didn't cross your It didn't cross your mind. Well as I understand it. Being a fake doctor, you don't want to pull it out before you get to the er, because then that's what that thing is, stopping the blood from coming out.
Speaker 2: In some cases, yes, in some cases.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm gonna take this as medical. Please google, Please google the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: Listen, because in some movies when dude gets shot with the bow and arrow or something like that, or or or or get stabbed with a knife. Yeah, and they got to make the escape there, you know, it's the eye cont it's the close eye contact and everything. They're looking face to face and they're like, all right, you ready, I'm ready on three, one, two, you shut on three.
Speaker 1: That's true. Well, anyway, I thought it was surprising that there's the episode begins with j D passing out at a nail in someone's hand, like he literally faints. He literally faints like a like a person in old movies faints right, like be still, yeah, like like yeah, back of hand.
Speaker 2: The vapis.
Speaker 1: Now there's a real thing in hospitals, you know, mix ups are are I mean, they've they've taken all these steps in the intervening years between this show and twenty twenty to make sure that fuck ups are very, very very rare. I just started watching this show on Netflix's a documentary show if you're into real doctor situations called Lenox Hill, where they're following around real doctors, and I just noticed that they go in to do brain surgery on someone and there's those whole process where they're like, they're like, we'll be doing this on the right side of the brain. Does anyone hear right? Raise your hand if you heard right, And there's this whole system in place now where the nurses are like, I heard right, I heard right, I heard right, and they're like sign he signs his name on the woman's skull before the surgery. Like my point is everyone in the medical community who listens to the show is laughing at me because I'm explaining it so horribly. But it made me think of that because there's so many systems in place now to make sure fuck ups happen less because it is a thing in hospitals.
Speaker 2: But it's also really funny how they figure out the mess up was happening, you know what I mean, Wait a second, I imagine that this guy is Jewish, Yeah, of course he is. Then why isn't his penis circumcised? And then Todd runs in, Hey, doctor Wynn wants to know if there's some sort of mix up because our appendix surgery doesn't have an appendix. And then he walks into the room and he's like, can you believe what the whoa it's going on here? That shit made me laugh so.
Speaker 1: By the way, I laughed so hard, But I did it understand something? I mean, I laughed so hard that But isn't it just an uncircumcised phoenis? Why is Todd. Why is Todd so freaked out by uncircumcised?
Speaker 2: He's he's not freaked out by it. But what it is is, it's it's you know, the person's covered in a complete uh cheat, right, and it's covering their whole body and the only thing sticking out and there's a big light shining on it. Obviously is this dude's I can't and his balls and his balls? Yeah.
Speaker 1: But by the way, Donald, if you if you fans are listening, go back. You can see when when Rob comes in and says, WHOA, what is going on here? You can see Donald under his mask start to laugh and like, Donald, I can see you biting your fucking cheek. That ship was hilarious.
Speaker 2: He's fucking dude. Man. I forgot how I say this over and over again, Robert Macio, Holy shit, I forgot how funny he is. Man. And we used to we used to fucking fuck with him all the time and oh, let's go run line and everything. But he fucking crushes it every time. Every time.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's the funniest line on the show. WHOA, what is going on? Here?
Speaker 2: Is going on here?
Speaker 1: Even in my brain I was thinking, like, well, why is he so surprised to see PTUs? But Donald?
Speaker 2: Oh Man.
Speaker 1: Then I looked at Donald and I know that look better than anyone. That You're lucky that he's like he's like his face is like strutched up like this.
Speaker 2: Nicole Sullivan's back, Krista Miller's back on this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Christ's back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then Nicole Sullivan's story you know, uh, Shay, you can speak on this also. This was one of those things where you throw her in there just so you can, just so the audience remembers. Okay, there's this character, and we have plans for her later on and to make this connection, to make to make what happens to her, to make you feel it more. We're gonna introduce her on some silly shit just so you're comfortable, like, oh, this is just somebody who comes into the space, into the universe for Elliott to make funny jokes with, and you kind of don't realize. Okay, at the end of this, something's bad's gonna happen, even though we're laying out the crumbs, you know what I mean, something's you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she talks about that in his book actually with with the Brendan ar of it all about how Bill wasn't was totally not afraid to play the long game with these people, right say, like like they laid the foundation from Brennan and then that episode is now until two years later.
Speaker 5: You know, So that's the like, the one question I wanted to make sure I asked when I came on here was when y'all are doing that stuff with with with the d Coole Sullivan character or with the renin Frage character, do you know ahead of time? Like okay, and in fucking three years, this is when we're gonna get rid of no of you just sort of.
Speaker 2: Well, we should throw it to Bill. Let's throw that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well let's let's throw the Brennan one to Bill, because that's what I was thinking about doing that as well. Bill, When you had Brendan on in season one for these two awesome episodes, we have Shae Soronald here, and of course Bill knows who you are, Shay, because he wanted to I see him hitting you up on Twitter as well. Bill, was was it your intention that you would kind of play the long game and then bring Brennan back in season three for the episode Everybody Loves at the funeral was that on your are this far out and because we're because you know, we're talking about also Nicole Sullivan character and how one of the things you did really well and Scrubs was not be afraid to play the long game with these characters. But first, well, Bill, please don't don't don't, please.
Speaker 2: Don't do the six seven eight.
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, I guess we'll just continue this relationship in which you only reach out to me when you need me. And I'm supposed to feel good about that.
Speaker 1: No, I do feel good.
Speaker 6: Look, Brendan, he's an old family friend, a good friend of Christ's. And when we brought him on, initially we thought, wow, that's back when we kind of bring guest stars on, get to know him and kill him. But we thought it was kind of a good enough thing to give him, uh leukemia and you know, kind of see doctor Cox rise to the occasion and deal with it. The first episode is based on a short story called Occurrence at al Creek Bridge by Ambrose Beers. If anybody wanted to look that up. Second episode, it's just cool excuse to use the worthless peons. Ted's band and all you guys and Brennan was so good when he agreed to come back. Uh, it was perfect because we were able to do you know that sixth sense homage. So we always knew we wanted to kill him, but we hadn't planned. Uh we had hoped, but hadn't planned for him to come back, and when that happened, it's one of our favorite episodes ever.
Speaker 1: All Right, we were we have a fan that we're gonna take new commercial and then we come back.
Speaker 2: Do we ever go to fan and then go to commercial after the fan? How come we always got to go to commercial before the fan? Is this?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Is it because and it's a seg it's a segment thing. I got it, it's a segment thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's when Joel we first started making the show, Joel had a very organized list of the way the show would go, and since all we do is ramble all over the fucking place, we just occasionally asked her if we should commerce.
Speaker 2: I know, but it's always like, it's always a tease though for the it's always a tease for the people listening to the podcast. Oh we've got a listener here, let's you know what, we should probably go to fucking commercial.
Speaker 1: But I think that. I think that. You know, on real TV shows and radio shows, you want to you want the audience to stay on the line, right on, right on the fishing line. When we come back, we're gonna have an exciting caller.
Speaker 2: But we don't do it that way. We never do it that way.
Speaker 1: We always try it that way. Let's try and sell it this way. Do you want to try and sell it like pretendant? They might change the channel or switch to.
Speaker 2: The No, no, no, no, no, no, no no no. Don't you touch that down. When we come back, we'll have a caller.
Speaker 1: Don't you touch that down. We're back in two and two. Oh, hi, guys, what's up? Gentlemen? It's Dylan and who else is Dylan? And came there's your official Oprah voice. Guys. That's the price you get for making it on the show. You get an Oprah voice intro.
Speaker 2: Dylan and Cam. Where are you guys at It looks like you're like in a bunker underground.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we have a little bar area in our basement. We're kind of hunkered down right here, but we're in a lacrosse with gods.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wisconsin in the house.
Speaker 1: Noise, Well, welcome guys to the show. We we we have Shae Serrano joining us, who's written an awesome book on Scrubs and incredible, uh best selling author, and he probably knows more about Scrubs than Donald and I. But so definitely you can well that's because Donald smokes a lot of weed. But you can ask us any question or maybe you're off. Are you off this hour? Though?
Speaker 2: Do you mean did I smoke today?
Speaker 1: No, because there was a couple of podcasts ago you said you were taking a break from weed, and I wonder if that's stuck.
Speaker 2: No, that didn't didn't take.
Speaker 1: Didn't take that night.
Speaker 2: That night I went back to the well.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: He always tries to brag Shay. He's like, yeah, I'm off weed. I'm like for how long? He's like an hour starts that?
Speaker 5: How it starts one step at a.
Speaker 2: Time, One step at a time.
Speaker 1: All right, Dylan and Cam, what's up? What's your question? Guys? Welcome?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good to be here. Man, really big fans and a really huge fan of too Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, you guys.
Speaker 1: Have do you guys up the printed it out for you for you listeners. They held up Shay's book on the office. Uh, and they had printed it out and binded it. So these guys are real fans.
Speaker 3: Oh I love Yeah, I love she probably my favorite author.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's all right, thank you? Oh wow, nice Shay. All right, A question for I guess it's probably gonna be for Shaw, But Donald and I are here too.
Speaker 3: So I guess it's you guys going to hop in with this too. But for Shay. So you've written obviously, Conference five Minutes, for the Office, you've written where do you think we are? For Scrubs? Is there another show that you've been thinking about or is there maybe one that maybe Donald or Dak would really like to kind of see from you as well?
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. I like I like my part, But you go for a show.
Speaker 5: There hasn't been one that I thought of yet. Usually whenever I'm working on one of these, people will like start tweeting me, Oh, do the wire do arrested development? Do you Sons of Anarchy or Madmen or whatever? But most of these things just sort of happen organically, Like I've been I've been watching Scrubs for so long. I've seen it so many times. It was like, well, you know, let me let me do something with all of the times I've watched it, and then it becomes like, oh, I was actually just working hard all of that time instead of just sitting around watching TV. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a nice way to spend it. You're like, You're like, I wasn't wasting those hours. I was writing a book.
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly. I mean there's like one hundred and eighty something episodes of the show you watch point ninety hours of TV that you've seen four or five times all the way through. But yeah, usually just if a show will grab a hold of me, then I then I'll write about it. But I haven't. I don't have any plans right now to do to do another.
Speaker 2: One, all right, I have a nice Which one do you want? Which one do you want him to do?
Speaker 1: I was just well, the whole time he was talking, I was half listening and half thinking. I think. I think. I don't know if you watch the show, Shay Donald, I don't think watches it. But I really loved Atlanta. Oh, Atlanta's great, and I think it's ripe for analysis because it's got so many trippy storylines and so much social commentary, and I just I just think it's incredibly done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a really that's a really good one. But they're not done yet. It doesn't till they're done. Yeah, you gotta wait till you get Now, The Wire, A.
Speaker 1: Lot of people say The Wire is I have to admit I only watched season one, so please don't yell at me. But a lot of people think that's the greatest TV show of all time? Is that? Is that on the top of your list?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's absolutely on there, The Wire, Breaking Bad Soprano, Like, you know, all of the all of the main ones.
Speaker 2: Right, I've never seen any of these shows.
Speaker 1: You haven't.
Speaker 5: No, you've never seen You've never seen Breaking Bad.
Speaker 1: No, No, you only watched wat We only watched the finale. It's the only episode you ever saw.
Speaker 2: So here's my thing. Here's my thing. I have a hard time investing in shows because what happens is either they get canceled or they disappoint you in the end. Right, that's my that's my issue with things. I hate when you know something, there's a cliffhanger at the end of the season, and then the show gets canceled and you don't get to finish, you know, and then.
Speaker 1: Surely there's a series. What's a series that you watched like that, you just loved all of it?
Speaker 2: The Clone Wars.
Speaker 1: It's got to be Star Wars. It's only Star Wars. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: That that that well, yeah, you know that was.
Speaker 1: Anything non Star Wars. No.
Speaker 2: No, Like you know, Bill Lawrence used to say it all the time, and it's so true. You you tell people when you when people meet you and they say, I'm such a huge fan of your show, not out of the ten times, they've only seen it like a handful of times, you know what I mean, and haven't seen it more than that, And so I fall in that category. If I were to see Brian and Aaron, it would be like, I'm such a huge I was such a huge fan of Breaking Bad. I only saw the final episode.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't let you admit that.
Speaker 2: I already told them it's all over the air now that somebody's gonna come back to him and say that shit now, But you know what I mean, Like, like I watch every now and then I'll check out a CW show, right, Like I love superhero movies, right, so I'll check out The Flash, or I'll check out Legends of Tomorrow or I'll check out, you know, Arrow, and I've only seen, like, you know, out of all of them, I've seen maybe you know, thirty of them total, like of all of the show's total. But when I see the actors and stuff in it, I genuinely do love what I have seen. So I'll be like, I'm such a fan of your show, even though I've only seen each show.
Speaker 1: So the message for all those actors is that Donald is totally bullshitting you when.
Speaker 2: I'm telling the honest to goodness truth. I like a Supergirl, I have seen that time you like it?
Speaker 1: What about about Smallville?
Speaker 2: I only saw that show a couple of times also, And I'd like, you know, because Angel, which one was dark Angel?
Speaker 5: This one with Jessica album, I didn't watch that one.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch and I never do.
Speaker 1: You also used, didn't you used to watch? There was a sci fi show you Battlestar Galactica.
Speaker 2: I take it back, if you do Battlestar, Yeah, you should do Battlestar galact Yeah.
Speaker 1: I ever watched Battlestar Galactica.
Speaker 2: There we go, Thank you, Zach, thank you. I remember, I remember, I got, I got.
Speaker 1: I was searching my brain for you I was like, I know, there was one sci fi show you actually watched. There wasn't a fucking Star Wars animated cartoon.
Speaker 2: I remember I got into an argument with my uh girlfriend at the time because I thought she uh taped over my Battlestar Galactica episode.
Speaker 1: I remember, did you watch that one? Shaw?
Speaker 5: I did not watch Battlestar.
Speaker 1: You guys, Dylan cam did you watch a Star Yeah? Yeah, Well do you guys like it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I might. Super big and like sci fi by that one, I was pretty I think as.
Speaker 1: Far as like sci fi shows that people have liked, that's one of those ones everyone says was canceled too soon, and people.
Speaker 2: Katie Saccoff is a She's a g if you ask me, you know what I mean. Like, she's one of those action heroes that is a good Like she's straight up as a true action star who deserves the opportunity to carry some project. They say she's going to be in The Mandalorian this upcoming season as a Bocatan, which would be really fucking dope.
Speaker 1: My grandmother used to live in book Rattan.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, these characters, these these characters all travel from.
Speaker 1: Does it take place at an old Jewish community.
Speaker 2: Center and can eat an ass.
Speaker 1: Joel, do you watch Battlestar Galactica because you like the sci fi stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I came very very late to Battle Star Galactica, currently in the middle of season one, but really loving it. It's amazing, It's excellent, good writing. If you're a Star Trek and or Star Wars fan, you'll probably find something like in Battlestar Galactica.
Speaker 1: All right, So guys, to finish that question off, do you have a show that that like you would love Shay to one day do a book about.
Speaker 2: Each We're gonna ask both of you each each.
Speaker 3: Yeah. First, okay, I would love Breaking Bad personally. Breaking That would be really sick. I think it's a really really good show. Yeah, that would probably be my top tooice. Maybe Parks and Rock would kind of be a more fun one. I'm more lighthearted, but I would probably say Breaking That would be a really cool one.
Speaker 1: All right, how about you.
Speaker 3: I'm always been a Jewish fan of the show Dexter.
Speaker 7: I would love to see you do that in my opinion, and born in the show start and then kind of drop cop right to finish where I think Breaking Bad is better in the series, But I think that's best is better?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think that's that's I kind of fall in line with Donald of kind of a slight disaployment at the very end.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I was gonna say that's one. That's another show where I only watched the last episode and I was like, what the.
Speaker 5: I've heard?
Speaker 2: That's bullshit shady When Harry Matselly.
Speaker 1: That's a totally different example.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when Billy Crystal when she's asking when when she when he tells her how how dark he is, and he's like, I read the end of the book before I start. That's me with movies. That's me with television shows that everybody's train But that's me with television shows that everybody's like, you should watch this, you know what show you would like, you would like this show now.
Speaker 5: But you missed, you missed like the whole build up of everything, like you can't. Okay, we're talking about Nicole Sullivan character. Yeah, yes, in the in the season eight finale, when JD is doing the walk down the hallway and she pops up out of the out of the thing and she's like, there you are, and you get so fucking excite, Like there's like a real jolt of joy in your body when you see that. If you haven't watched all the other episodes, you don't understand what that. You think this is just a person who happens to be you can't just watch.
Speaker 2: So then that makes episode is the final episode of Scrubs a good episode.
Speaker 5: It's a great, fantastic because.
Speaker 2: The Breaking Bad, the Breaking Bad finale is a fucking movie. All I needed to know was that this dude, Walter White, was this freak.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let the super.
Speaker 2: Why why why?
Speaker 1: Because you you you will get so I mean, let's just take Breaking back because I feel like it's a show that everyone listening to this problem.
Speaker 2: That last that last right, But that last episode is a movie. It's a fucking movie, a movie like like it's just like the twenty sixth hour with Edward Norton where he finally where he's a board. I forget the name of the damn movie.
Speaker 1: But you forget how many hours. There's a lot of them.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of them. But he he fucking uh, he's a drug dealer who goes to jail. You don't need to know everything that goes on before the movie. With the movie starts, you're invested the minute he gets caught out there after you know what I mean, and is going to jail, and it's the end of the story. It's his run.
Speaker 5: But you can watch that movie and understand all of the parts by the time you get to the end of it. If you only watch the finale of Breaking Bad, like you kind of you don't understand why it's so important that he saves Jesse in that moment, You're like, I don't get it. Why did he save this one kid and kill everybody else. I don't understand why he had to walk through the meth lab the last time. I don't understand why they played this particular song. Like, you're missing so much of this thing that you gotta watch.
Speaker 1: The rest of the episode. You gotta watch it, all right, Wait, let's ask the guys if they have another question. Go ahead, guys, do you have another one?
Speaker 3: So you guys have mentioned earlier in the podcast series that you guys just beat roommates, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: We were roommates for a year, I mean for half for summer, for summer, summer for a summer.
Speaker 3: So maybe I'm kind of stirring the pod a little bit here, but what was some of your biggest pet peeves living with you?
Speaker 1: So I got to the loft first. We rented this loft for the summer. And the loft it was enormous. It was like your dream loft in terms of size, but it didn't wasn't really that set up in terms of like two nice bedrooms, two nice bathrooms. So I claimed the nice bedroom because you know, I got there first, right, that's what you do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Then I gave Donald what was technically the second bedroom, but it had a washer and drying in it, and he goes, who do you think I am? Benson? And for you guys are young, you don't know, but Benson was a show where Benson.
Speaker 2: Benson was a show. Robert Gione played Benson, and he was he worked for the mayor. He was an assistant to the mayor.
Speaker 1: He was saying like pretty much like who do you think? I worked for him?
Speaker 2: And Benson was the one that pretty much ran the country while because the mayor was this you know, bumbling uh well, he wasn't a bumbling mayor, but he was. Benson was the one that handled everything right. He handled the house, He handled everything uh. And for some reason, Uh, to me, that ship was kind of fucked up that.
Speaker 1: You can never like Benson should be the mayor.
Speaker 2: Benson should have been the mayor, and the mayor should not have been the mayor. But that's not why I was pissed up. I was pissed off because it was like, Yo, you're gonna put me in the fucking room with the washer and drying of all the wrong look. It was either that or like a law. It was like a There was a cot right outside of his room and I was not taking the cot. Take the fucking cot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I didn't really have a door. So we we we were very open with each other that summer.
Speaker 2: We were very very open with the We touched tips no, no, no, we didn't. We did doc did we donc And we never docked.
Speaker 1: We never docked. Tok. That was the midst of the dream.
Speaker 2: This is all gone, this is oh boy.
Speaker 1: Now we're not cutting this out. Listen. This is what always happens on the show. We say something like that and then Donnag goes, we're cutting this out, and then we almost never cut it out. We used to play ping pong in in our box.
Speaker 2: In our underwear do. We had a lot of great times.
Speaker 1: I remember I think the writer Amy Tan. Is that a famous writer?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Joelle? Okay, as I understand it. The writer Amy Tan lived beneath us, and she was not happy that two guys partying all summer were in the loft above her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And we would get a note like, we would get notes like Amy Tan is furious, you guys need a fucking quiet down.
Speaker 2: She was like, she would write notes like do you guys have fucking elephants upstairs in apartment?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because the banging. I can only imagine. She would write some pretty unique notes though she.
Speaker 1: Was a written well, she was a good writer. They were beautifully written.
Speaker 2: She wrote the joy Luck Club. Holy shit, we were fucking with the lady who wrote the joy Luck We.
Speaker 1: Were fun whether we were just having fun. And I remember her very well worded angry letters.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wish you still had them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She pulled out the thesaurus for some of those. We could probably sell them on eBay. Those are worth something. Amy Tan's angry letters. All right, we gotta keep going. Thank you guys for coming on, Donald, thank you.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you guys.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: What is that on your shirt? Summer League?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vegas Summer League. So probably know about Summer League, yeah, NBA yeah Basketballak, you probably don't know too much.
Speaker 1: About what Donald Donald?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 3: But no, we're big Bucks fans.
Speaker 2: Bucks fans And okay, right on, how long do you think you can hold at too there?
Speaker 3: For he's resigning? You heard it? Yeah, you believe he's not coming to San Antonio show.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, here's the thing. Do they come out of the world. I mean, there is no East this year or West for the for this bubble round that they're talking about at Disney, right, it's just a bunch of teams thrown into a pot.
Speaker 3: Is that I think? I think they are still doing the East West. It's something weird though. It's kind of weird how they set out.
Speaker 2: It would be nice if they just threw teams into a pot so you could get you know, first rounds with like Houston versus Milwaukee or Houston vers you know, Washington. That'd be really cool.
Speaker 1: But what's his name again? I wanted to try and use it, Jansa Joo. Yes, well, I gotta tell you, he's a really great player. And what I like about him is he's always in the paint.
Speaker 5: That's actually true actually, and he reminds me.
Speaker 1: Of Rodman because he's always getting those rebounds.
Speaker 2: Wow, not bad, not bad, not bad, not basketball.
Speaker 3: Kind of a quick little share story. We uh, I think back to the episode where I don't think it was the standards. There's like a flashback to where you guys got to go seet Michael Jordan's yea, when we were in high school. I want tickets to buck Lakers game and shout out rest in peace Kobe Bryant. But we got to see Kobe Bryant playing. We rolled up and that's we're doing. Don't see Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 1: And I take ticket unlike unlike Jad and Turk. You guys remember the tickets. I take it right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Is that like in Scrubs? Lord Donald? Is that how you began to lose your hair? You first started pulling it out, And.
Speaker 3: I don't know how.
Speaker 2: I began to I don't know how Turk started to lose his hair, but that.
Speaker 1: Was the first moment.
Speaker 2: That's one of the first moments.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, thank you so much for coming on. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Appreciate Hey, for.
Speaker 3: Everyone Wisconsin, come play tennis with the Zach for tennis coaches too.
Speaker 1: Oh really, right on? I love it. I love it. I'll find you guys. All right, guys. You know, I appreciate that they knew how to tap into the one sport that I could talk about, and there they were. They were very good guests. I like that.
Speaker 2: Uh, MASSI is back in yeah, which is great. He went on to become a time traveling hero. That was another show I watched, Shay Heroes. I watched that all the way through.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, a couple of goose I had goosebumps multiple times in this episode. The first was nine fifty six when they're playing pool in the bar and Ben's hand is still bleeding and the look Cox gives to JD. It really moved me because first it's my even because I was reading your essays and now was all emotional, Shay, but I went My first reaction was Cox can't hide the fact that he respects JD is a doctor to know that he'll know what that could mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, immediately, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It was like, you know, Cox is always fronting like, oh, your girl's name and JD, you sucking but obviously under undercurrent trying to build him up. But that was a moment of shock where he looked to it as a peer, as a peer and when you know what that could.
Speaker 5: Mean, Yeah, that's like it. So you see you see him do it in the in the pilot, it was like the first time he expresses some sort of like not admiration, but like you know, I'm gonna grab a hold of you and take take care of you. And then this time was the first time when he he doesn't say anything. There's no words at all. He just looks and he knows, and JD knows, and the only person who doesn't know in that moment is Ben. He's like, oh, it's about it.
Speaker 1: I was really inspected by the respect that he's I mean, obviously in his mind wasn't I'm gonna now respect this person. It was just it didn't he didn't have a moment to put on his airs, if you will, He didn't have a moment to put on his front. He just had an instant reaction to a fellow doctor and went, oh, fuck, you know what this could mean.
Speaker 5: It's totally It's totally different than when you see him at the very beginning of the next episode when he walks into the room and JD and and Jordan and Benn are in there, and JD's doing the thing about like we knew, you know, you don't need a we don't need a resident, we need like a hero. And then he comes walking in and now now he's prepared for the situation and doing the whole thing. But yeah, you're exactly right in that moment and.
Speaker 1: Then and the second time. First of all, I just want to say at ten or five, there was a really cool transition moment that Larry Trilling did from I love how they went from the bar right to the exam room. That was cool.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Man, before we before we moved before, before we move forward with that. You know, he says, I've never asked you out for a beer before, but he had asked you out for a beer before, And that was when he lost his ship and tore up the lab that day, and he was having his worst day and you got caught up in it. He does invite you out for a beer. You guys go to a bar and you drink beer. You drink together. Actually, so that was very weird that he was like, you know, I've never asked you out.
Speaker 1: Maybe he've blocked it out.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm just you know, you're just trying to show off that you're like the Scrubs Wiki guy. By the mean, a lot of laughter on my Insta comments about Scrubs Wiki guys. They were like someone was like that guy pulled a total Dorian and people were just laughing about how No, friends, Trevor, we we got you. Now you're gonna be our Scrubs Wiki guy, right, Donald.
Speaker 2: I mean he doesn't necessarily want him.
Speaker 1: No, but I kind of like that about his character. No, but I kind of liked that about his character in the show. He's like a reluctant. He like a reluctant. He's reluctant.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's what you do. Think of it as like the hero's journey. In the beginning, you don't really want to do it. Yeah, once you get on board, you're off to an adventure, that adventure of a lifetime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trevor, by the time we do one hundred and eighty two episodes, you'll be happy that you came along on the journey. And the other moment and the other moment we got goo goosebumps. As I said earlier, that's that Shaye writes about in his essay was when Jad reads the chart and sees that Ben has leukemia, and Carla comes up and she says, are you okay? And I just say no. And it was just really, really powerful because it was one of those moments that she's talking about where there had just been a silly moment of of the fantasy of what happens in that in that blood test guy's office, and and and and and Doug being you know Doug, and then all of a sudden, bam, we just drop in with, Hey, this guy we just made you fall in love with he's got leukemia.
Speaker 5: She's so good in like every single moment, like she has this like a her player efficiency rating has got to be fucking outrageous, Yeah, which is like you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, Yeah, she's if you were playing if you were playing NBA two K, she's like ninety six ninety seven, Like she was like just straight up like she's glitch mode man at that time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that she is an incredible actress and in the show, she was the perfect tool to use for moments like this because she was the heart, you know, she was the heart of She was the conscience and the heart for everybody.
Speaker 2: At least the first two seasons. I think as the show went on, she you know, she became as much of us a character as we you know, as all of us did. But in the first two seasons, she was definitely the grounding factor to all of the you know what I mean to everything m hm.
Speaker 1: So then we go into this fantasy that we don't know is a fantasy delivery end of the show, and all of this happens in Jady's Magination, which which again we talked about it earlier in this podcast, but you know that totally foreshadows the giant mislead we do in season three with with Johnny not knowing that that that Ben's gone. So it's just really interesting that that bill not only introduced Ben for for the long haul, but then mirrored that sort of wacky fantasy structure.
Speaker 5: Well, so when when when you reached out and asked which episode I wanted to be, like, if I could, if I wanted to be on a thing, that that was the whole reason that I ended up picking this one because I think this episode in season one, especially it's like the one episode where we see the most amount of tricks that Scrubs is able to pull off that maybe a lot of shows aren't. So so if we have if we put a list together, you have that great scene where Elliott makes yourself cry to get the to redo the thing right. So this is like her being very silly in this situation. But to do that as an actor, I imagine, is incredibly tricky, just like pull that out of you. So you have her doing that. You have Carla with JD in the hallway and Carla's doing her quick missile strike right here where she just like get a pump, a scene full of emotion. You have the thing where they're playing with timelines, which they use to even greater effect later on. You have the gag with we we find out that the janitor is in like the background of all of these pictures. There's so much we have. We have doctor Cox using his serious voice. He doesn't do it very often, but when he does it, you feel it. And he tells JD, like, your only job today is you get these test results back. Like you love to see him drop everything do that. You have Turt sticking up for JD. You have Brendan Fraser swooping in and being just like the perfect cameo character where you have to be able to tell a joke but you also have to be able to stick this landing. Yeah, there's just so much stuff going on. This one episode's perfect.
Speaker 1: By the way, Shay, you just made me think of something else, which was Sarah's a bit which he really did live on camera obviously, which which actors often have to do and can always do, but Sarah does literally live on camera. Here is get themselves in a headspace where they can produce tears, and that moment really encapsulates exactly what you're talking about in Scrubbs being able to dance between comedy and drama, because what Sarah's doing is very funny, but if you look at the words she's saying to get herself to cry, it's very seriously it's the painful stuff from her life and trying to impress her father and whatever whatever she was saying. But it was like happening simultaneously, is this thing you're laughing at, but what the woman is saying is is so sad, you know, and then it ends with her with tears streaming got her face if it was a really great acting.
Speaker 2: Woman for Sarah, she's amazing.
Speaker 1: What about Chop Chop Nancy Rapido.
Speaker 2: Raio, I remember that, dude, I remember that day. I remember. I think that was one of the first times where I was having a hard time with lines.
Speaker 1: I remember Chop Chop Nancy.
Speaker 2: No, I had the whole thing where it was like, you're gonna go back there and you're gonna do this and blah blah blah. I think that was one of the first times where I was like, I didn't study this. Oh shit. Leonard makes an appearance.
Speaker 1: Here without a hook arm, though without.
Speaker 2: A hook on his hand. So what is the story.
Speaker 1: I read on scrubs Wiki that the guy wrote perhaps this episode is before his ice machine accident.
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember that that Leonard had lost his arm in an ice machine accident. Did you need that?
Speaker 2: I did not either, But I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that on scrumbs Wiki it's like this may have occurred before Ard ice.
Speaker 2: Machine, but I didn't have to because he had a hand.
Speaker 1: So for those of you who don't remember, that's Randall Winston, our line producer who not only played death but also played Leonard. This is his first appearance in his wig and.
Speaker 2: The afro isn't that big yet either.
Speaker 1: It's like he was he was keeping his throat tighter, right, but he does he does not yet have a hook hand. This might be I believe, the only appearance of Leonard without his hook hands, so the ice machine. But then again, sorry, I'm going all over the place. But this was a fantasy. So maybe in JD's weird daydream, Leonard didn't have to hook yet.
Speaker 2: He didn't recognize Leonard had a hook yet he had.
Speaker 1: I hadn't noticed it. Leonard had a hook hit.
Speaker 5: So when I had a fantasy, Shane, that seems like something you would notice, though, I just want to that you've probably noticed that.
Speaker 1: So it took me a moment because I've forgotten well, I wanted to just mention in eighteen thirty six again, Brennan took all those pictures and they're pretty great, uh pictures, I believe christ this still save a bunch of them. And then JD. Yeah, So then I was kind of surprised by that reveal. You know, again, I've watched these in twenty years. I thought it was cool to see this, you know, and Bill was smart directorially and writing wise. You needed something very specific to make the audience go, this is the exact same moment. You need a device because the audience is going to centerally track it. Keep in mind, when people watching these they had commercial breaks in and everything, so that you need the audience to make sure they tracked that whole run. And he came up with the device of the exact playing cards on their foreheads.
Speaker 2: Right. But here's the thing. He also made it seem like it was a curveball. That's you know, not only did it curve, but the ship was a change up too, you know what I mean, Like because you don't think that the whole thing is a daydream. You think, just when he gets the the paper the second time and he meets uh, Brendan Fraser outside, Yeah, you think that's all the fan that's just the fantasy. I'm gonna go out there and hey man, it's just leukemia. It's not leukemia. You're you're fine. I was wrong. I was wrong. And you know, the circle comes around and it's got this weird You think, Okay, so this part's the fantasy. And I expected you to be at the door of the exit telling him, No, dude, here's what I think you need to You need to come back inside. Actually, and it doesn't even do that. It jumps all the way back to the moment. And so it was like a It was like a not It wasn't just one pump fake. It was like he was under the rim giving you the dream shake, you know what I mean? Like and then you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny about that fantasy?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: It's the writing is such that it's supposed to be. Oh, Ben says he doesn't like post pictures. You'll know it's a fantasy because here we are taking a post picture. But what what tipped it off even more from me was that Kelso's happily getting in a picture with everyone. I was like, ELSA would never want to do with these. Yeah, I think that's it, guys. I think we did the whole We did the whole episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 1: Chande, did you have fun? Are you glad you did this?
Speaker 5: I'm really glad this was like a you know, part of me is like, these are two guys who I have been watching for so long. I'm kind of nervous to meet him. I don't really like to meet the people who I admire, because what if it turns out their dicks? So I had that in my head, But no, y'are cool. Hold, I hope you're better than I was.
Speaker 2: Will you come back on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Will you come back on?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I'll come back on later on after y'all do all of the other stuff for sure.
Speaker 1: Because I have a feeling what's going to happen on all of our social media is every one's gonna say Shaye was the best. Guess you need to have shade back all the time. Carol mal Bear.
Speaker 5: Definitely hashtag Carl.
Speaker 2: Whatever happened to We don't know. He freaking we went into the party and he got he got jumped or something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he definitely died on the show. In real life he's still working, but on the show.
Speaker 2: You know he has a twin brother, right, yeah, yeah, And I remember one night we were out and his twin brother. Everybody thought his twin brother was him, and they were coming up to him going pedro.
Speaker 1: Pedro, and as I recall, the twin brother was rolling with.
Speaker 2: It, rolling with it, loving it, and he was like, don't tell anybody. I was like, I'm not gonna say ship dude, I thought that I thought you were the other one.
Speaker 1: Oh I I had people telling me that. I'm always say that's funny, like Mandy Moore's character does on the show, and then I need to stop saying that. Donald. I had someone write that to me.
Speaker 2: You guys did date. Maybe that rubbed off on you.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if that's the case, but all right, guys, I want to get out. I want to know you.
Speaker 2: Can leave it.
Speaker 1: Listen Shay's handle on Twitter at Shae Serrano s h e A s E r r A n O follow him on there. He is one of the most popular fellows on Twitter. He does a lot of amazing I just talk for a second, shape before we go about this cool thing you do with the f O h Army, tell us people what that is. Shaye will have like drives for people that need help. He'll be like, all right, whose bills are we paying this week? And then he'll like just venmo them cash. So just talk about it for a second.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's like the silly little sort of gorilla philanthropy thing we started a couple of years ago where it was like, after we had enough people following me on Twitter, we were all grouped up together. If we got get one hundred, two hundred three hundred thousand people following, we could raise a lot of money real fast if everybody sends like a dollar or two dollars or whatever. And so you know, we started doing that and then yeah, when the coronavirus stuff hit, when the Black Lives Matter movement started up after the George Floyd's murder, we're like, you know, we're gonna try to help out in any situation we can. So like people will send stuff to me and we're like, all right, cool, we're gonna fund this. We're gonna send some money out. So yeah, I think like since March twelve, it's been you know, two hundred and fifty two hundred and forty thousand dollars up, just like straight cash. We've given two places of people.
Speaker 1: And do people give you I think just from following you do. Some people who can afford it give you like large sums and hey say hey, Shay, distribute this.
Speaker 5: Every once in a while, somebody will hit me up like and my DMS and be like, hey, I don't want you to like say where this came from, but like here's five thousand dollars. Can you pay bills for people until this is gone? Like that happens every once in a while. Mostly though, it's like we're all gonna chip in five bucks, ten bucks and see what happens.
Speaker 1: That's really awesome, man, that that's really aw and he's so sweet about it. People will write him things like, oh, thank you so much, Shay, I'm having trouble with my bills and he's like, fuck that noise, and he'll send them money. That's awesome, awesome, all right, everybody, that's the episode I want to thank, We want to thank on behalf of my co host and I sh Shay, you were an awesome guest, right Donald, amazing guests?
Speaker 2: Well, dude, this was this was you know, always you never know how your guests are going to be. And you're somebody who wasn't on the show. Uh, but you fit in so well man, and your insight on our show. I'm dead serious, man, your insight on our show is is very awesome. Man. Like I I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: And since and since the old Caramel Bear died, I think you can I just hope that I just hope that my persona on this podcast has made Laramie like me a little bit more. I know that it was j I know it was JD. She didn't love but maybe maybe she'll like Zach Brous.
Speaker 5: She loved Garden State, So you're good, all right.
Speaker 2: Question everybody loves that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they you should have been in it. All right. Listen, everybody go to go to Donald Donald underscore ason.
Speaker 2: That's I'm trying to get all of Zach's followers. Okay, y'all need to come over to the dark side.
Speaker 1: All right, come over to Okay, that's one way to play.
Speaker 2: Join, join me, and together we will build this institution and.
Speaker 1: We will like weird memes. Listen, uh, combined strength.
Speaker 2: Okay, we can end this conflict and bring order to the galaxy.
Speaker 1: All right. That's his audition monologue. Listen. Check out Chase book a Sacred Heart gang dot com. Please follow Donald on Instagram. I'm really getting sick, you know, just just hold on.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear, not just the people who are listening Zach Braff's followers. Okay, follow Donald FAIZI.
Speaker 1: Followers are tired of being accosted by you, and write Joelle your questions at Scrubsiheart at gmail dot com and please subscribe and rate the podcast, because I recently was told that that's a real thing that's good for our exposure. If you give us five stars, I'm like the uber driver who's like five stars. Five stars, So give us five stars, right Donald.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please give us five stars.
Speaker 1: All right, and time, friends, five stars are better. Tell your friends we are hoping to one day when the world opens up, tour this show and we'll come to will will you? Will you come when we come to Houston? Shay, are you still in Houston?
Speaker 5: I'm in San Antonio now, but if y'all make it to Texas, I'll show up.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, wait, hold on, now, I heard something about Tim Duncan and that being your favorite player of all times this year? Absolutely absolutely Why why Tim Duncan? Why before we go? Why this doesn't even have to be on the podcast. I just need to know this because Tim is one of my favorite players too. He's not my favorite player. Why Tim Duncan?
Speaker 5: Okay, let me tell you that there's a very personal connection that Tim Duncan has with San Antonio and that he showed up and all of a sudden a city that had an inferiority complex, you know, we're not as hip as Austin, We're not as cool as as Houston or whatever. They beat us in the playoffs. Blah blah blah. He shows up and all of a sudden, we have the guy on our team that everybody's afraid of, and he's going to war and he's not backing down. You gotta fucking kill this guy in the playoffs if you want to beat him. He shows up, he delivers five championships for us. All of a sudden, we have that we I think he's the fifth or sixth greatest basketball player of all time. We have him on our team. He allows you, in your chest to feel like a winner, to feel like a champan. You know how it feels when the team that you love wins a thing and you feel like you're a part of it.
Speaker 2: It's like Jeter to New York Man, exactly know exactly what you mean?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Or Cole Milkinson in the original cast of them is absolutely that's what.
Speaker 5: That's what Tim Duncan did. So I love him forever for that.
Speaker 2: I hear you, man. I feel like he had a lot of really good uh if it was the Justice League, he had a lot of good supporting characters. He's Superman. He definitely had a Batman and it switched off between Genobilie and Tony Parker.
Speaker 5: Uh, those guys were those guys were great, but those were not players you could take and put on other teams.
Speaker 2: And they maybe Janobili Janobli maybe you know, maybe Tony in his in his younger years anyway, but.
Speaker 1: Not Tony, not as much as Genobili though, and when.
Speaker 2: He shut up Man and when he got there. He also had the Admiral David Robinson.
Speaker 5: Did he did have Big Dave? He did, Da've.
Speaker 2: Only got one? He got five?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, No, Dave got two. They've got to them.
Speaker 1: None of them are as good as Mike Jaminski. All right, we gotta go. We love you, Thank you, Shay. I hope he can be real friends in real life. I think you and Donald might hit it off really well.
Speaker 2: I think so too. He's like he's like he's like he was a dick when I first met him. That's when I got out of the little That's what I got out of the thing. No, you don't you.
Speaker 1: Super cool, super No, you're on your phone a lot. The one thing about that said I got it was like down sitting between two fans, and he's on his phone, like, talk to your family, Dick. Maybe this White people don't follow you on Instagram, Fox.
Speaker 2: Exeven stories about show we made about a bunch of talks and nurses in Canada.
Speaker 3: I said, he's a story nexttion No
Speaker 2: So YadA round you here, yead around do here spec meant so mis