Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Tours at.
Speaker 2: The Star in Frisco. SECS Dot Tixon, Today.
Speaker 4: Texdown, and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's a Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company from the Star in Frisco in the WBC studios.
Speaker 2: We are live as always.
Speaker 5: We've got the whole cast and crew ready for you to rock today with Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand Back. I'm Kyle Yeomans with Chris Beam in the back. Glad you're with us.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 5: The twenty twenty five season is officially over.
Speaker 2: It's over. Our twenty four season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank goodness, everybody, It is done.
Speaker 2: Hopefully twenty five is not over. Yeah over. Twenty five is just getting started.
Speaker 4: Everybody's rowing zero and fire Nico okay, continue.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so we're starting. We even on the air.
Speaker 5: This is the first time that we've talked about it since that happened.
Speaker 2: No I alluded to it last time and say.
Speaker 7: Yeah, last week we talked. We kind of briefly turned to it, but you didn't want.
Speaker 6: To talk about it.
Speaker 2: I still don't want to talk to this on it. He's escorting twelve year olds.
Speaker 5: Especially after last night when you lose on a buzzer beater to Tomato Rosen in the Raptor or the not the Raptors. He used to play on the Raptors, but the Kings, and then and then there's a guy that played in La So anyways, also another thing I don't want to talk about, but we certainly do have to talk about Kyle.
Speaker 6: No, we do.
Speaker 2: We kind of do. Super Bowl fifteen. So that happened something that the Iggles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they won something opened they won it. Philadelphia wins. Congratulations, forty to twenty two.
Speaker 2: They got it done. Are you surprised?
Speaker 5: I was surprised in the manner in which it happened. I was not surprised that.
Speaker 2: They were the result.
Speaker 5: Okay, they entered with the best team and they had the best the best team, best roster, best makeup, I mean all of it. And they had the motivation too.
Speaker 3: You could tell like it was all year, best roster, not all year. You said the best team all year. They have best roster year in terms of roster construction, I.
Speaker 6: Was the best offensive line and defensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: The reason I say this is because I heard you say team got you, and I was going to say, well, no, that would have been Detroit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Roster wise, there nobody argued that Philly had the best roster.
Speaker 5: Even when we were going into the penultimate week of the regular season it was Dallas and Philadelphia. We were looking at it and saying, oh, look, they're the number one offense and they're the number one rated defense.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good they got dudes.
Speaker 3: Man, We've always given credit to how aggressive.
Speaker 2: I mean, even though we're Cowboys, right yea, even though we don't like even though we.
Speaker 3: Don't like them, we still have to acknowledge the fact that they do a dog on a good job at acquiring talent. That's what's frustrating about it is frustrating, especially when you look at the comparisons in terms of the spin number side by side.
Speaker 7: If you're looking at just the team, excellent team, excellent team, fan base, I'm not talking about it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like the city, the food, they're like.
Speaker 5: You know, I like a cheese steak every now and again.
Speaker 2: Just that's it. That's pretty much.
Speaker 7: It just drill into the ground and make it not a part of the America, you know.
Speaker 5: Take it and move it somewhere somewhere else.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean objectively like like we're all saying, objectively speaking, you have to give how we rose first rate, for how he constructed that roster and how willing he is to be aggressive in things like free agency. Now, it's also true they they mostly don't draft will unless they're drafting Georgia talent.
Speaker 5: Like this is Geane and Quin weren't from Georgia the fair.
Speaker 3: But listen, listen, this has to this whole narrative of drafting Jesus and develop and this has to stop, Like the conversation has to stop.
Speaker 6: Just don't.
Speaker 2: I'm personally tired of hearing about it.
Speaker 3: You're saying the the inhas so emphasis, the emphasis on your guys having to pan out, Like I'm tired of that conversation. Yeah, and I know that's been the way that's liking you guys like you know, you like And that's true, right, you draft your guys you like you guys. You develop your guys, but all guys don't develop, You know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, Like, there are all guys don't develop. There can be very much.
Speaker 3: So so like this whole thing where I'm so locked in and I'm so keen on my guys that I'm willing to just disregard and close my eyes to everybody.
Speaker 7: Like, screw that, you're like with one hand tied behind it. Yeah, Like like if you're not addressing free age.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia has been to the Super Bowl how many times in the last five six years?
Speaker 2: Three? Three? Screw going back.
Speaker 3: The develop portion of it. Build your team, you hope, throw money, you hope. No, listen, listen, you hope that you're able to do it through the draft. I'm being serious, Like, you hope because that's the most financially feasible way, right, That's the that's the cleanest.
Speaker 2: Way to do it.
Speaker 3: However, if that is not working, get your butt in position roster wise to compete.
Speaker 6: So if the holes are there, don't ignore them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like That's why I have such a high regard for Howie Roseman, because he he says, screw it, I'm supposed to do. My job is to put these guys in position, and I think that the management here has done a good job of building talent, right, But the one element that they've been resistant to is going outside of their comfort zone and going outside the Cowboys bubble and bringing guys in consistently to plug those gaps, right, because they're like, oh, we got to worry about the cap, Oh we gotta worry screw it. You know, you know what we said this last couple years ago, right, the Rams said, what screw it, we'll do with it later.
Speaker 2: What did they walk away with?
Speaker 3: They walked away to Super Bowl and then they walked away with what they walked away with. Some playoffs run this year too, Yeah, right back to the playoffs. They went back to the playoffs with a roster that is nowhere near filled out. But guys have developed, right, and they graduated a couple of pieces that they built through the draft.
Speaker 6: That's awesome, right, it's not only the draft.
Speaker 2: It's not only the draft, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: So, like sometimes you gotta look at which if you do what you have always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. And I feel you feel, I don't know, this is just a feeling thing, gal, When you hear Stephen Jones speak because I think there's this there's this weird dichotomy, right, I think that mister Jones, right, Jerry Jones is the one who still speaks on behalf of the brand, right your head. He's the figure, right, he is. He is the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: So he's gonna speak and he's gonna make it sound pretty, and I'm gonna talk around it and you know, enough stuff, you know, to tantalize the taste buds. And then when Steven gets on the Mike, Stevens like, look, this is what it is, right, And it's just these two personalities that you really see in prison whenever those guys present. And I think when you hear not to say that, you don't get the real for mister Jones.
Speaker 2: But I feel like when Steven gets to Mike, Steven is a he seems.
Speaker 3: Like a very black and white guy. Like he got the mic, he was like, yeah, so yeah, Dak was very much so a part of this, a part of his decision white shining. Uh yeah, this is exactly what we're doing. Uh yeah, We're gonna have to make some changes in terms of how we go about you know, saying acquiring guys like yeah, I feel as if you're starting to I think the message is starting to get clearer.
Speaker 6: Message message.
Speaker 5: So let me let me add on to this, because when we talk to him in mobile, it was really it was me, Tommy, Nick Harris, and one other reporter that we're in the building and it was just us four in a back hallway of South Alabama's press box, the weirdest spot you could possibly have it. I thought he was very real with us. And if you haven't watched the go watch it Dallas Cobys dot com. It's on the YouTube channel. It's on Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 2: Go watch it. But he talked to us a little bit before.
Speaker 5: That, about two minutes before that, in about four or five minutes after that, and I think you're right in the past I would I would say he's just as good at at not addressing the elephant in the room as his father, as Jerry, and that's been a part of them being businessmen all the way through. I think the message has been heard and the frustration has been reached. They aren't happy, and that was the sense that I've got. I've been around Stephen Jones since twenty nineteen and even beyond because I did some stuff with Highland Park football when John Stephen Jones was stuff. So I've known Stephen since twenty seventeen, and the more I've talked with him, the more I've seen, Okay, he knows how to handle the media. He knows how to handle his words and knows how to craft them in a certain way to send a message. I thought the message he sent to us at South Alabama during the Senior Bowl was it's it should change. He didn't say it's going to change, but he's saying it should change because what we've been doing and this is a direct quote from him, maybe maybe paraphrased a little bit, but what we've been doing has not been working, so something has to change. And that's the first time I've heard them say that it's got to get the first time period. So I believe it when I see it, because I've been around this organization for long enough too to see a lot of words don't necessarily mean anything. That time I got a sense that it did. I think it did. I think it did mean anything. Well, you finally got the word from the right person. I think that's a part of it too. If the narrative change is changing, at least it's starting there. And then now you're seeing this coaching staff, how it's been put together.
Speaker 2: Coaching staff is tremendous. You really have really.
Speaker 7: Had, Like there's a lot of silver lining that. Of course, it's bittersweet now because the Eagles just won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Like it it's not.
Speaker 2: Gonna I think it.
Speaker 4: I think it serves the maximum lesson for the get Boys.
Speaker 2: Look how the is bookended.
Speaker 4: It began with one of the most inactive free agencies I've seen.
Speaker 5: Well before that in the same press box, Cherry said all in, and so.
Speaker 2: There's the frog all in.
Speaker 4: And then the antithesis of that as defined by most of civilization, okay, occurred. And then you go through the season fast forward, through everything that happened, the death issues and the production issues in the first half, and scheme issues whatever whatever, and injuries, and now you go to the playoffs and who wins it but your direct rival, who is the polar opposite of you, and free agency the polar opposite. So that serves the maximum lesson because I think that if the Chiefs did win, and I was I was rooting for the Chiefs to win. Let's be clear, I did not want the Eagles to get another I just my petty is my pity.
Speaker 2: But now that we've been very clear, yeah, I won't just want Philly.
Speaker 6: Some of us have allegiance to the team.
Speaker 3: That I want nothing, whether it be Cowboys, my brain, I want nothing good for the Philadelphia fan base.
Speaker 2: That's nothing. That being said, they did win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: So so what you can do is now use that as a lesson.
Speaker 2: For the guys.
Speaker 6: How do you respond?
Speaker 2: How it goes?
Speaker 4: And I love what you guys are saying about the Stephen Jones versus Jerry Jones dynamic. I was having this conversation with Tommy this time yesterday morning, and I said, Jerry is the salesman.
Speaker 3: Whether you like what he's selling or not, he's selling you. Steven is more print on paper. Steven's the finance guy sitting there.
Speaker 4: Stephen has more print on paper. Stephen is less the salesman and more so, this is where we are. So when you start to hear Steven change his tone, which is.
Speaker 2: What I'm hearing, it's definitely a tone.
Speaker 4: I cannot stress this enough. Kylin Out we were all the same show me, show me, show me that.
Speaker 3: Being said, I like what I'm hearing from Stephen because these are things we haven't heard before the press conference with Schottenheimer. When you hear Stephen Jones say when the question I posed to him was what could you take from a team like the Eagles in free agency and their approach that can help the Cowboys going forward?
Speaker 4: This is Stephen Jones. He said, Yeah, I think you certainly look at that. He said, I think you look at your competitors and your conference's what's going to take to have success, whether it's the forty nine ers or the Eagles. You ask yourself, what does it take to beat the forty nine ers, What does it take to beat the Rams. These are comments that change the narrative of what we know from Stephen Jones. Yes, he is the we like our guys guy, he's that guy. Yes, we know it's bye, but we're hearing less of that this offseason and more of what Kyle is saying, the conversations he's having in the back room of the press box, saying something's got to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So and again we're waiting to see it, and hopefully we see it. But I will say from a coaching staff standpoint, which is the first and foremost thing. Oh, they're knocking that out the part and this.
Speaker 5: Might be the title of the episode. But actions speak louder than work. Yeah, play and yeah, that's too long of it. Maybe just actions speak louder, action speak louder words. And we've seen a little bit of action. The slight action we've seen has been the higher of Brian Schottenheimer.
Speaker 2: Which say what you may show me.
Speaker 5: A lot of people haven't liked it, a lot of people do like it. We'll see at the end of the day, and then but the staff behind it, Schottenheimer has looked tremendous.
Speaker 7: It's it's what you can do at this point is being done. Yes, what you can do, the things that you can change or being changed. Granted you didn't have coaches in.
Speaker 5: Place, you can still go sign Micah. That would be another thing that you can do.
Speaker 3: He's putting a lot of the thing that I like, and I probably could hit this in news and notes.
Speaker 2: I would imagine that we need to address we are going.
Speaker 5: To go to coaching.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'll just say this without getting into the weeds. I feel as if Schottenheimer is putting guys in position to do what they do best. He's not asking coaches to go outside of their realm, correct, right, He is saying, what are you expert at?
Speaker 2: Bring that here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I want to do I want to go a little deeper into that because I completely agree with you going back to the conversation that you were just having, and we're talking about the Eagles and how they built to get there. It is a combination of both. There is draft and development, for sure, but there's also the signing.
Speaker 2: I looked up to two Rocky show up in a major way, no doubt about it.
Speaker 5: Degene and and uh yeah, absolutely so. On the opposite side of things, here's here's how they've changed their starting lineup from Super Bowl fifty seven to super Bowl fifty nine.
Speaker 2: When they were there the first time.
Speaker 5: And they lost, they had nine different starters this time around on the defensive side of the football, which would you agree that the defense is what won that game? Film absolute, that's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: So two years were alone.
Speaker 5: Two years ago, years ago, they had nine different starters from there from their group that went to the super Bowl the first time around, So there's that element to it. They drafted Jalen Carter, drafted Jordan Davis, drafted Nolan Smith.
Speaker 2: Got it right.
Speaker 5: All three of those guys are dogs. They were in the right place at the right time. Nolan Smith was a guy that had injury concerns. They said, screw the injury concerns, We're going to draft the dude.
Speaker 3: And one of their main contributors to that defense is on ir Inn Kobe Deane.
Speaker 2: Yeah he is. Yeah, yes, he was drafted as well. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, they also drafted Quinon Mitchell Cooper de Jean, who we talked about as rookies. They got the right contribute or contribution from two very important rookies and two very good rookies.
Speaker 7: And they addressed a need, addressed a need that they had last year because the secondary was not what it was like they had and they tried. They traded for somebody last year. I don't even remember who it was, but that didn't work out. It didn't get them over the hump. So then into the offseason they said, okay, well let's draft the best available players in the secondary of the position of need.
Speaker 5: Well, that's thee. They grabbed CJ. They grabbed CJ. Gardner Johnson, They signed him. They signed uh, what's his name or in is it Orn Burks?
Speaker 2: What's his name?
Speaker 5: Who start started the Yeah? Orin Burks the linebacker signed him from San Francisco. Uh, he started as well. Zach Bond. They fined him Bond. Bond wasn't even a highly vaultable free agent, but he worked out.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: So even you've got the draft and developed, he got the sign and developed.
Speaker 2: Finished the top ten in defense rankings. Yeah, he was an All Pro and he had an incredible got the bag.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they got a number of guys and they just got the bag. Milton, Yeah, just got the bag with two sads Williams.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The bottom line is you build both ways. Yeah, you have to have to find a way to balance that scale. And so this is why I've said time and time again and again, Uh, they're going to sell what they're going to sell. I don't begrudge them. Whatever they're trying to sell, it doesn't mean I have to buy. So when you're talking about salary cap management and things like that, and we'll get into this, uh you know later in the show and as the off season rules along, but we're talking free agency, we're talking about being willing to spend. You can't sell me on you know, well the money's not there. It will be there, and it can be there. You can free upset seventy five million just by three triggers being pulled. You could pull out another eighty five ninety. I mean it can happen.
Speaker 6: So we just business.
Speaker 4: You've done stage one, as we have this conversation, play with scary of money. No you can't. We've done stage one. The Cowboys have this coaching staff looks sensational. It looks sensational.
Speaker 3: Now what you need to do is get the personnel on the field for these coaches to be able to cook. And that doesn't mean waiting until the NFL Draft. That doesn't mean leaning so heavily on Will McClay and his scouting department that you don't that you're completely overlooking holes that can be filled palls by talented free agents. Even if you don't want to overpay and Wave one, Wave two still has some substantial talent from outside the building. So yes, try to keep your oss and your Jordans, but go and get some of these other guys that are falling off of some of these other rosters. Mister Jones's reply to that, I would imagine is that we have two guys currently at the top three of their positions in terms of salaries, and we're about to have a third.
Speaker 4: Congratulations that third that you're about to have if you And this is why there's only.
Speaker 2: So many pieces of the pie. There's only so many people that high. I don't hear. I don't want to hear about no pie. I don't hear about the pie. It's only pie about Listen. At the end of the day.
Speaker 4: This is also a great lesson and hopefully they've learned it as far as extending players contracts early and not late. If you extend Michael Parson's contract this year, you can free up almost eighteen million dollars towards the cap for this year's off season.
Speaker 2: Sir long, okay.
Speaker 4: If you wait until next season when his contract is expiring, it becomes a massive hit to extend the contract.
Speaker 2: These are the games that.
Speaker 4: Are being played very well by teams like the Eagles. To forty nine is the Rams. So when you are ready to do an extension, don't wait.
Speaker 3: Don't don't So what happens when people say what about kicking the can you.
Speaker 6: Play that game with Dak Prescott and you kick what happened?
Speaker 2: Kick it still toe kick it?
Speaker 3: Listen, man, Brandon Aubrey, that all the way down the bill is gonna come do Okay, when when has it here? When the salary cap gets bigger, it increases fifteen, it's not gonna go up that much.
Speaker 6: But in five years and ten years the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Fact, what you're saying is the Cowboys are always protecting themselves for what hasn't happened, correct and what wouldn't happen for a long time to come.
Speaker 4: And then by the time it happens, you can finesse it another way because there are new options.
Speaker 2: So that's finishing it.
Speaker 3: So when we say don't play with scared money, I know mister Jones's reply is going to be, well, that's the highest paid CDs the second highest paid, Mike is about to be the highest paid. So we're not playing with scared money. We're spending money. I know that's going to be the reply. But on the other end of that, you also have to say, well, in terms of this protecting the salary cap thing, you've never been in salary cap hill, Like you know what I'm saying you've never been.
Speaker 2: You never had your back.
Speaker 3: All the way up against the wall where you couldn't sign guys or you couldn't manipulate guys contract. It hasn't happened, right, So to say that this is the reason why we don't go out and acquire guys, you've never been, you never face that lash, of course.
Speaker 2: Right, So like, what are you protecting? Right? Because face exactly right.
Speaker 3: So Philadelphia, on the other hand, says, all right, Brandon Aubrey kicking this thing all the way down the road, and everybody says, what, Oh this's gonna hit them. Oh, it's gonna be so bad. For that's always a reply by people, Oh it's gonna be so bad. They're gonna be the situation that they can't three Super Bowl appearances. You know what, because it's it's a three.
Speaker 4: It's it's not a static situation, a fluid the salary cap situation is fluid. So you're preparing for this inevitability. To suppose it inevitability. Let's say, let's say, based on how the numbers and everything look in twenty twenty five that if you handle things a certain way, then O, the sky's gonna start falling. In twenty twenty nine. Let's say that's that's the logical argument. Well, the problem with that argument, the flaw in that argument and that logic is that by the time twenty twenty eight twenty twenty nine rolls around, they're gonna be different variables that have changed to allow you to manipulate it, to push that inevitability down the road another four five years. This is what the Rams do, This is what the Eagles do, this is what the forty nine ers do. And I want the Cowboys to start doing it. Stop being afraid of an inevitability that by the time it arrives no longer beability.
Speaker 6: And what do those teams often do?
Speaker 2: Free agency?
Speaker 6: Free agency and they kind of get deep into the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Hold on, but talk about the Rams. I know, we gotta go to break the Rams. Okay, the Rams. We're in the worst situation that you would ever imagine.
Speaker 2: And still right, they were in.
Speaker 5: The worst side of the Saints right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, the Saints are terrible, right, but I'm talking about the Rams.
Speaker 2: Just said the heck with it.
Speaker 3: They went out and got you everybody, right, the Rams went out and acquired everybody.
Speaker 2: They said the heck with the salary cap.
Speaker 3: Thing. We know next year is going to be trash. We're going all in, chips, all in. And what happened? They walked away with the dog on Lombardi right the next year?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 3: Boo? They lost all their guys and then the best player in football says, you know what, I'm gonna shut it down. They lost the best player in football in the thirties, early thirties, shut it down. They had what one down year right back, and you know what, you went to the second round.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pull a cow. You know why.
Speaker 4: And this is the difference between the Rams and a team like the Saints, for example.
Speaker 2: The coaching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the level of coaching that you have and the coature that you have can help you bounce back from that.
Speaker 2: Yep very quickly.
Speaker 3: Yes, or when you do hit that wall, you get stuck in that pick because.
Speaker 5: Because your coaching allows guys like Pooka Naku to become a valid fast wide receivers in football and.
Speaker 2: Gives you the option to trade one of your other great.
Speaker 5: Wide receivers in football this offseason and not have a problem.
Speaker 4: And this was my Kyle, because it brings us back to the Cowboys coaching staff.
Speaker 5: You're darn right going to the Cowboys coaching staff. Let's talk about it. What they have been able to control so far, They've controlled it to a high degree.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk talk about each of the hires.
Speaker 5: We're going to run down what the Cowboys coaching staff looks like when we come back with more talking Cowboys. If you're looking for fresh American roasted cop that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store.
Speaker 2: And pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 5: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 1: Requires compatble plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 5: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 5: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper. You love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: To the Talking cow oh Boys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portion of the show. You know it, you love it.
Speaker 5: It's brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Quaker Oats trusted.
Speaker 7: Since nineteen forty five, eighteen seventy seven, seventy seven since the Revolutionary War.
Speaker 5: Nope, also incorrect, Also wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see it.
Speaker 5: Is the fall of We love the year seventy seven Apple, Dallas.
Speaker 2: We do oh not the seventy seven. We love the seventy seven.
Speaker 5: Dang it, well, you only had four.
Speaker 7: Look you use the Quaker code and left hand corner to buy your oats.
Speaker 6: On the internet. It's not next to me, I guess right on Sunday Sundays.
Speaker 2: And got here. So I'm all turned around on the back.
Speaker 6: Of the corner. We can't see it.
Speaker 2: I'm turn We don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we don't have that ability to see it. What we have seen is the Cowboys coaching stead. Oh, let's go pretty good list. We talked a little bit about the coordinators last year. Uh, you've got Clayton Adams on the offensive side of the ball, coming over from Arizona where he had not Calin plays. Though not Calin plays. But I think that's okay, that's all right.
Speaker 2: It's around them. I think that's okay.
Speaker 5: The veteran and former head coach of the Chicago Bears, former linebackers coach on Jason Garrett's staff before he went to go be the d C with the Indianapolis Colts, Matt ibra Flus.
Speaker 2: I saw him at dinner last week, Flues. Did you say hi? I did, and gave him one of those Batman nuts.
Speaker 5: Sir, I see you, gentlemen. It's a Dark Knight reference. Thought you know't talk about the Martini glass. Nick Sorensen is the special teams coordinator.
Speaker 6: He comes over as Tony Brenca.
Speaker 2: Actually okay, drink oh was it? Sorry?
Speaker 5: The uh special teams coordinator after being the defensive coordinator with the.
Speaker 2: San Francisco forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: Last time he was a special teams coordinator was in twenty twenty one with the Jacksonville Jaquas Jagua. So other than that, Sean Patrick, I want you to run down the offensive staff. What do we have that is official?
Speaker 2: So far? Official? So far?
Speaker 4: So we know Clayton Adams is in the books, and we know that Derek Foster Lunda Wells, Connor Riley. We'll get to that because I could not love that pick.
Speaker 2: Great. Those are definitely in the books.
Speaker 4: What's being finalized is quarterbacks coach Steve Shimko, who has UH. He was in the building last year, but he also has a pre existing relationship with Schoenheimer from their time together with the Seattle Seahawks junior Adams wide receivers coach. He is going to take that role and be advising Taekwan Underwood, who joined officially the coaching staff last week as assistant wide receivers coach. Just flattop, yep, mister flattop kid, if you will kidd in play, ain't going body so those guys are who's who being finalized along with passing game coordinator offensive passing game coordinator Ken Dorsey, former coordinator and coach of the Cleveland Browns, previously a quarterbacks coach, A long time quarterbacks coach is uh and he's expected to join the organization any day now. I think they're working out the finality of his contract. So once those deals come to fruition and paper, a lot of firepower, a lot of wisdom, it's a lot of you know what's beautiful about it though, And we'll talk about the defensive side, but when you look at the totality of Schottenheimer's staff, it's a it's a perfect mix of experience, infel experience, and young mindedness. So you got guys who are coming over like like the Organ guy.
Speaker 7: Well, okay, speaking Igon guy. He's also talking about j Washington guy.
Speaker 4: I wanted to say the Organ guy because what their offense looked like last year.
Speaker 6: Well, Junior Adams.
Speaker 2: If it's a U guy, you know it's good. Okay.
Speaker 5: I did a little bit of a I did a little research on mister Adams. He's he's a California cat, played at Oregon State, played at Montana State was a wide receiver, and he's been in the college career all the way throughout. You want to know the best wide receiver he's coached at a high level. Would you like to take play a little play a little game here?
Speaker 2: Ye's go.
Speaker 5: You said the best, the best wide receiver that's had NFL success by this point.
Speaker 6: Was he a Washington or Oregon.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to tell you because it would give it a way, So I'll give you the names of the schools that he's been at. You want to go by that. Yeah, so Oregon from twenty two to twenty four Yeah, I see what you Washington twenty nineteen to twenty one, What you did here, Western Kentucky twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, Boise State twenty fourteen to twenty sixteen before that, Eastern Washington twenty nine to twenty thirteen, and then yeah, Eastern Washington.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, do you know who he coached.
Speaker 5: At Eastern Washington?
Speaker 2: Let me see here it is.
Speaker 5: He he goes by the name of I wish I had a cup right here.
Speaker 2: Here's a cup right here? Oh, thank you everything. Yeah, that's a Cooper cup, a Cooper cup. But he did he coached.
Speaker 5: Cooper Cup during his time at Eastern Washington. Interesting, just to keep in mind, he did so for two seasons twenty two or twelve and thirteen before.
Speaker 2: Of course, Cooper Cup was a third round pick.
Speaker 6: So you're saying news that we can't talk about trades here.
Speaker 2: But I didn say.
Speaker 3: Anything about trade. I said a chance, but they didn't coach. You don't know I'm talking about I.
Speaker 2: Didn't that cut Cooper good.
Speaker 4: Anyway, there's a I love the young minded this. I mean, these are guys bringing fresh ideas from the collegiate level. Well, and we talked about this last even tho the one bringing fresh ideas from a collegiate level.
Speaker 5: Before we get to Connor Riley. Isaiah brought this up last week. When it's when you see a fan base upset that you lose a certain coach, which Clayton Adams was Arizona was assist upset an assistanteat an assistant, not a coordinator, assistant going and getting a guy like Junior Adams, going and getting Junior Adams. Oregon is beside themselves. They are not happy Oregon duckster and upset.
Speaker 7: Connor Riley too, And who did Connor Riley coach Cooper b B.
Speaker 2: And there's this other there's another guy.
Speaker 6: There's another guy from Kansas.
Speaker 4: State, not not Therice dudes, Connor Riley coming over from Kansas State. First of all, to Cole's point, when you see a fan base that is losing a coach get up in arms about losing the coach, you know you got something good. And Kansas State they they were very disappointed in having losing, losing Connor Riley because they know what.
Speaker 6: They're losingas state Kansas.
Speaker 2: How many university did we make angry so far?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Kansas State, Oregon, Oregon, in Arizona and that's I mean Cardinals.
Speaker 3: We made them angry though, right, you did three the organizations off just now colleges are organizing the defensive standpoint.
Speaker 2: You pissed off the Jets, off the Jets, So.
Speaker 3: We made the Jets angry, We made the occrdo's anger, make Kansas stay angry, and we made I love the organ.
Speaker 2: I'm about it. It's just how we feel. Eagles, you understand, I get it. You hate Green teams, I get it, But things from them, I'm with that. Even if we if we can't win it, go ahead and win it so we can take it from as far as taking things from guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know we're talking offense, but even on the others, on on the third side of the ball, which is special teams, you get Nick Sorenson, so you get some of that Kyle Shanahan Tree football. I Q intail at least it's can you imagine the bills here?
Speaker 5: He gets to know he's a special teams coordinator, but he can have some impact.
Speaker 3: Intel a playbooks a very I'm interested to know how these offensive as they instill and create this new offense, right, because now you're in the shoddy offense, right, it's not the it's not the the McCarthy offense is the shot coach. So there's gonna be elements that are going to because system, but there's gonna be a lot of new Can we call it the shotgun? Oh my god, goodness, I see what you did there, dear God. Oh sorry, play side, don't hop on the State the State website right now and go ahead and secure that.
Speaker 2: Probably about hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: I would love to see the meeting of minds as they create this offense because there's so many expertise and there's so many different schemes that all have to collectively come together and agree. Now, there's obviously one voice that has a lot more weight than others, but he is bringing in these guys to absorb and and and implement their their wisdom and their expertise. So I would love to see how all these different schemes, philosophies, approaches come together to create this new playbook.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm excited about that.
Speaker 7: But here, here's one thing, and this is intriguing me. I don't have the answer. I'm just throwing it out there. But what is it about Shoddy's offense? What is he pitching to these coaches from other organizations, other college teams that they're buying in and saying looking at what the Cowboys did last off last season with their offense specifically, and saying, yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Want to work for them next year.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 6: Ooh, I just thought of some come on with it, Come on with it.
Speaker 3: We just finished talk about the Joneses, and we just talked started talking about the Joneses and their approach to free agency, right and how we would like to see a change. Maybe this is the first step. It might be because we don't know what the assistant coaches make. Step one, We don't know what these assistant coaches make. And these assistant coaches are not getting their first opportunity. For the ones that are coming from college, they're not getting their first opportunity at NFL coaching jobs. I would imagine, I imagine they've had before. Maybe the Jones have opened up the checkbook. M maybe this is their first shot at free agency.
Speaker 2: I'm dead serious.
Speaker 3: Right before they can get players, they're getting coaches get coaches by right, and they have to not only buy in to what shot he's pitching, but buy in to what the coaches want financially. Because we don't know what these assistant coaches are making, they don't have to disclose.
Speaker 2: That one thing that's clear already, you know what I mean. They don't have to disclose that.
Speaker 3: So the Joneses might be opening it up to play, might be opened up their checkbook and say, hey, Shotty, go get who you want to get. We'll make sure that we funded on the back end. This might be the Jones first indication of what they're willing to do free agent wise, because this is the free agency of coaches.
Speaker 4: Well, I can tell you right now. And this is not a situation where, like you know, a coach is coming in and they're trying to retain a certain portion of the playbook. It sounds like this playbook is being it's being created ground and created completely. And you talk about when the coature might be as if it is definitively going to be built from the trenches out. Yes, this team is going when you talk about Derek Foster and Connor Riley and Clayton Adams and even the scheme that Shaddy said that he's envisioning, this team is looking to bully you and then play off of that to affect the game in the air. So we it feels like that's where the culture is going there, and you just you really have to love it because, like what Josh is saying is poignant. These are guys who are high level in their respective organizations and programs.
Speaker 2: You leave an Oregon program that was number one in the nation and you leaven feel Knight.
Speaker 3: You leave Kansas State program where you're for all intents and purposes, you're one of the you're heraldin that's one of the best offensive minds in the country.
Speaker 2: You're comfortable, you're.
Speaker 3: Leaving these comfortable, high level positions, first time NFL head coach for the most visible and critically and criticized say scrutinize team arguably and all of us. Yeah, they're buying in so whatever, Soadenheimer is selling that must smell wonderful.
Speaker 2: What are the two things that have to be true.
Speaker 3: I have to believe what you're pitching me right as the head coach. And then what's the next question I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 2: What's the pay? What's the pay? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, I'm leaving Phil Knight, who has been the only coach in organ whatever, the collagion organization, what are you wanna call them?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: On institution that said it's a blank check to get these players here for nil. So if it's a blank check to get the players, it's definitely a blank check for these coaches.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Right, So I'm leaving that. What is a Cowboys paying? But I'll add one more thing. We talked about free agency. This Cowboys as a current personnel roster, they have twenty two looming unrestricted free agents, and you also don't know if they're going to change their free agency approach and what that looks like. So if you're a coach being wooed or being recruited. Not only do you have to buy into what the plan is going to be schematically, who we're you gonna have?
Speaker 2: Who? Oh my ode?
Speaker 3: You have a lot of voids that you need to feel.
Speaker 2: If I'm Connor Wright, you're still here.
Speaker 4: If I'm Clayton Adams, and they still said, yeah, I'm in.
Speaker 5: With that being said, we got to take our second break when we come back. What are the number one needs? What do you have to leave this offseason with on offense and one on the defense needs? Not once needs? What do you have to have going into training camp here in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 2: More talking cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G fast, reliable. Secure.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Dee equipment built to tackle eddy challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates.
Speaker 2: But with that Texas heat.
Speaker 8: It's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year.
Speaker 5: You can even get them with the iconic.
Speaker 8: Star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetti Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot Com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys, and we're going to overt Erica.
Speaker 2: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 11: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com. Slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys Back, You're on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: This segment has brought to you by in visil Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys, alongside Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah standback with Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans glad you're with us.
Speaker 2: Hi K one really.
Speaker 5: Cool thing here, hey uh that I really enjoy out of the off season edition and kind of the way that Derek and the social media team has been kind of Chris be more than really anything, has been revamping our podcasts. One thing is that we're now live on YouTube. Every show.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what that means?
Speaker 6: Hello, like and subscribe and follow us on X.
Speaker 2: There you go, just like that.
Speaker 5: But the part of what's fun about it for me again, when I first started hosting these podcasts, we were on Periscope, and Periscope had a live chat option, and I would kind of keep up with the chat and kind of walk through it as we go along. Well, we haven't had that opportunity since we weren't live on the live chat. Well, now that we're live on YouTube, we have the live chat option. Oh year, and I've just been sitting here reading everybody's comments.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. I love having the live chat.
Speaker 5: Whether it's a good thing for us or a bad thing for us, it's a good thing for.
Speaker 2: Me because I have a lot of fun interacting with fans. Make sure you read chat bell. Yeah, let's see what's the I don't know if we can get this on. Somebody didn't like.
Speaker 5: My shotgun that we said it was stupid.
Speaker 4: I challenge you to drop a bar hotter than that, because that that.
Speaker 2: Was sizzling enough. But that's the thing.
Speaker 5: If you're watching the show and you haven't checked it out on YouTube, the video version yet, and whether you're watching or listening to the audio only version, we love you, guys, We really do so. Now that we get to interact in real time with some of the live viewers, I love it.
Speaker 7: So Rico and oak Cliffe may go to the Texas Theater and listen to some go.
Speaker 2: Music. Dude, do we have it? Oh? He might be, Yeah, he may he may be. Good show.
Speaker 3: All right, one need offense and defense.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you one on both sides of the ball. Half leave it.
Speaker 5: Have to have it one thing overall. You can't kind of halfway do this. You gotta say one.
Speaker 2: What you guys. Have to have it, have to have it. Jeez, you have to have a number two receiver.
Speaker 6: Okay, cold Stone creamer, you gotta have.
Speaker 2: I really want to one. I really want to one. Bee. I don't want to even want a number two. I want to one.
Speaker 5: Bee okay, and defense what you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, on defense something that you have to have.
Speaker 3: You have to have interior D linemen and you can't I mean if you I don't want to speak on it, right, but if you if you can't afford to lose, can't afford to lose D lineman. Yeah, I can't afford to lose O. So but even if you have OS, you need to add you need a dog.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: So the need there would be retain Osa.
Speaker 2: Oh we can do that. Yeah you could, Yeah, you could. That would be and you yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they plan our running system wise, so I will say you need to retain j Lou.
Speaker 2: Okay, see that's where my need was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, or need to restructure Micah, that would be the other one.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking?
Speaker 4: Offensively? You definitely need a one B receiver, But who's your running back?
Speaker 2: I think it's you. That's why it's only one right you need.
Speaker 6: But this is specifically free agents von.
Speaker 2: No, it's just so you remember when you need a running back.
Speaker 4: So even if you can figure out the duce Von equation, now that Connor Riley is in the building, you still need another running back because He's not going to be your workhorse. He's not going to That means that your your goal is to make him more of that shifty guy.
Speaker 2: You don't want him doing all the dirty. Oh I was joking about. No, no, but.
Speaker 4: Seriously, dude, finally and this will please I.
Speaker 2: Fine, there is.
Speaker 4: Some justifiable optimism that the Cowboys can figure out the duce Vaughan variable. Mike McCarthy couldn't figure it out. But Connor Riley is in the building, and here are some numbers. And I know people say on the okay, here here are some numbers. Though, when Connor Riley had duce Von at Kansas State, duce Von produced four thy eight hundred and eighty four yards from scrimmage and forty three touchdowns at bridge one hundred and nine point seven rushing yards per game in his final two seasons, and he was also effective as a running back out of a wide receiver out of the backfield nine point three yards per reception in his final two season with Kansas State. If there's anyone that can unlock Ducevon as Connor Riley, if duce Von can't be unlocked with Connor Riley at the NFL level, now, then we can wash our hands with Duzvon. That being said, even if Duce Vaughan has a breakout season, you still need that compliment. I am still of the belief. And this is without having talked in to Rico, spoken to Rico, but this is just logically speaking, this is the best leverage that Rico Daldo has had in his career. He's going to test the market. He's going to Tony Pollard the market. Does that mean he's going to leave. There's a strong chance that he does leave. We'll see if he's willing to stay. But if he stays, don't expect it to be on a team discal So I'll say that, but rather it's retaining Rico or you're going you get a guy like Ashton Genty. Now that the pipeline is there and re establish you still need to solve for running back. Solve for running back. I know people are saying offense, you have personnel already on the offense lines.
Speaker 2: The need that's who's running the ball.
Speaker 3: If you understand what I'm saying, who's running the ball? Anybody can run lines amazing until slash Wait than never.
Speaker 2: If CD does.
Speaker 6: I genuinely think that, but do you understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You're saying, if CD gets hurt, who's catching. I'm saying, if CD is healthy, he's already set. It doesn't health notwithstanding who's.
Speaker 2: Running the ball.
Speaker 3: I said that about Rico this year we found out as long as the old line is blocking, you're gonna get a thousand yards. Rico had already shown flashes before the depth chart though the un because he was behind first, he was behind Zeke and Tony, then he was behind Tony and then he had injuries.
Speaker 4: Okay, so fine. What I'm saying is assuming Rico test the market and that creates a good likelihood that he leaves.
Speaker 2: Who's running the ball.
Speaker 6: There's there's question marks.
Speaker 2: CD and Millie Davids was on the practice squad all year right for a reason, and this is not. This is not.
Speaker 3: This is not to Malie Malik showed flashed. Yes, who's running over over a one?
Speaker 4: B Isaiah, So you're telling me or a right guard you I want to be clear. So you're telling me that you're confident.
Speaker 3: Man, running backs are good. There's a lot of good running. Let me say they they are going to listen on a real court. How do we gotta go. What justifies how do you Outside of fumbling? What makes a running back bad? Makes running back bad? Lack of behind behind a really good offensive of visions, lack of possessions, lack of anticipation, yeah, those things, lack of burst, lack of behind. So behind a really good offensive line, you're saying most running backs can't.
Speaker 2: Fall for for fall forward, fall for forth.
Speaker 3: Behind a really good offensive line and good offensive scheme. You're saying, most running backs can't fall for four yards.
Speaker 2: So here's my question to you. False, Here's here's my question. They can't. They can. So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Most running backs that come into your camp are capable. Here's offensive line. You can't say that. Receivers, you can't say that, I love you.
Speaker 7: Behind the Philly Old Line, I guarantee Royce Freeman would have had a thousand yards.
Speaker 6: I mean, oh, stop that. Come on, man, come on, man, stop that.
Speaker 7: Behind the best old line in football, you can put first of all, just about it running backs.
Speaker 4: It's not even about overvaluing guys. This is about based upon the science that we saw from the film and things like that. Yes, you have questions on the offensive line, but you also have personnel you can be optimistic about. Brock Kaffman showed you you can be optimistic about him.
Speaker 2: TJ. Bass showed you that you can be optimistic about him. From a running back perspective.
Speaker 3: You don't have anybody on this current roster who will be under contract guaranteed at the time of this conversation that you can say that is the guy who's going to fall full. You're more confident, You're more confident in the running back debt. I'm most confident in the personnel than I am with.
Speaker 2: Let's let's not even talk about offers line.
Speaker 3: But are you more confident in the depth at running back or more confident in the depth at receiver? As we have this conversation, absolutely have more talented bodies at receiver than you do.
Speaker 5: I would agree there that running back because you don't have bodies.
Speaker 4: And this is not me saying that Brooks and Tobert are going to be Pro bowlers. This is not me saying that, although we do hold on, although we do agree that Cavante Turpin can be a force if you continue to feed them the ball.
Speaker 2: But when you start.
Speaker 3: Naming names, at least you have names to name in the receiving group behind Ceedee Lamp. Who are you naming that's right now under contract at running back for the Cowboys. You're talking about Deuce vamb Elitite, Davis Hunter lipkey, Yeah, I'm okay, you're okay then, but I really am behind us with the offensive minds that you're bringing in here, and if you're trying.
Speaker 5: To classify this as a solid offensive line, no, not yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, now yet, But but where's the focus been this off season? Coaches?
Speaker 3: Listen, running gun game? Okay, all right, so so something's going to change. You're not going to go into the season with the same guys you're going That's.
Speaker 5: Not the hypothetical we're putting out there.
Speaker 2: What is the biggest What is I'm saying the running scheme? If anything? Right now you can feel dog on good about what the.
Speaker 3: Passing game or the running game going into the season with the coaching stab that they put in player no, no, no, we're talking what personnel that is going to be utilized within the Scheme's running your ball.
Speaker 2: Isaiah, I will run the ball.
Speaker 3: If you have the scheme that's gonna move guys off the ball, You're bro, you.
Speaker 2: Need another very Henry, I'm too figured right now. You understand me. Listen, I'm so serious, bro, Like I will run the old line, the old line. The emphasis is on the scheme of the old.
Speaker 3: Line and the coaching and development of the old line that has been a focus of Shottenheim.
Speaker 2: Right now, it is you, who bodies on the art line. We gotta go, We gotta go real quick.
Speaker 6: Wide receiver two, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's your two or one?
Speaker 6: Be why receiver two?
Speaker 2: You don't have bodies? Who's running your ball? I love it.
Speaker 5: And it's split in the the chat section too. I'm watching like it's like almost every other question, it's we've got a running back, wide receiver, running back, wide receiver for Patrick Nose, walker for Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans. I think the biggest need is a running back this offseason.
Speaker 3: Tech Talking Cowboys for your Boise State fans.
Speaker 9: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.