Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbo.
Speaker 2: I'm that for me.
Speaker 1: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edith State.
Speaker 1: Is that woo woom? And now then and Tye, welcome back to the Solid Burble boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt. And as you know, the season is right around the corner. But before we get into the weeds, we are very excited to give you the replay of our twenty nineteen Fantasy Things Draft. Now this year a little different. It took place on two consecutive nights in two different cities, one in Dallas, one in Washington, DC. Both of those shows were live, but completely different from one another and of course a ton of fun. So for your purposes only, we thought we'd cut out as much of the overlap as humanly popped possible and give you one continuous show featuring all twenty four picks. Thank you again for listening, And here's how it sounded on night one at the Alamo Draft House just outside Dallas, Texas. Welcome, thank you for coming out. I hope everyone is ready for an hour and a half of intense Hobbs and Shaw discussion. Oh my god, that is why everyone is here.
Speaker 2: Hobshaw, Ty and Dan the classic fartsome. Correct, So welcome to the Fantasy Things Show. Our a show.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're doing another one tomorrow unless our flight gets canceled. We have a lot of college football weirdness planned. But today we drove up from Austin.
Speaker 1: Boo. Okay, I don't know how people feel.
Speaker 2: I was pretty good.
Speaker 1: I was good. Yeah, I read the room and we stopped. Wow, they're still going. There's good. This is a good crowd.
Speaker 2: We stopped in Temple, Texas at BUCkies and.
Speaker 1: We had never been. Yeah, see that.
Speaker 2: There it is so now we're just gonna talk about BUCkies for an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: Have you guys been there? Oh my god? Good hell.
Speaker 2: We had eleven combined bites of caramel corn and almost went into a coma to states.
Speaker 1: There was there was a jerky district. There was a jerky district. It's like the joke that I made was, it's like sim City if you could build your own gas station. Correct, just like a cot. It's huge. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We bought nine dollars shirts and we felt wonderful about it, felt good about it. Yeah, So shout out Temple Texas, shout out BUCkies, and thank you.
Speaker 1: For coming to the show. Well, I'm sure talk a little bit more about BUCkies as we progressed through here, but this is the solid verbal. I'm tie he's Dan.
Speaker 2: How many and Taylor, Taylor the brit shout out, Yeah, how many people are here against their will?
Speaker 1: That's not there?
Speaker 2: We go okay, and she got a first row scene from somebody that is brave.
Speaker 1: Man. I like it. Well, thank you all for coming. We would encourage everyone to take as many pictures as you would like and hashtag them with fantasy things. We will use those any which way, retweet.
Speaker 2: Them, sitting in front of a Bucky slogo, sticking in front of a Bucky's logo, whatever you so desire.
Speaker 1: We will use these pictures in some manner. But for those of you who may or may not be familiar with the concept of this show, fantasy football is kind of a thing, kind of a big deal, right, that's been going on forever. We decided many years ago to take a different spin on fantasy football, or at least our brand of fantasy football, and rather than draft players college football players. We decided that we would look at the college football season before us and instead draft storylines, draft odd of ease, draft things, narratives, things we just enjoy happening. Yeah, things that we as fans enjoy happening.
Speaker 2: So give an example, give some examples of previous year's picks.
Speaker 1: The best pick of all time was yours, which was the backup is better than the start always, you're right here it, especially in college they have deep depth charts and it's like, oh, the backup quarterback, he would start it nine other schools, right right. It always sort of works that way.
Speaker 2: So we get we score it, and we get points as often as it happens. And we've just come to realize that we just want to pick funny things that only happen occasionally but make us laugh incredibly. So we have across college football selected a number of things. I think six rounds.
Speaker 1: Worth six rounds snake Draft, which is a little weird for only six rounds, but we've got six rounds and we're going to do the same thing tomorrow in DC. This is a totally different show. We worked hard to put this one to get, well, not that hard, but we walked, worked hard to put this one together and then have an entirely separate content. It's scheduled for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Correct, ladies and gentlemen, Robert, No, he's not here. So here's the way this is gonna work. We're gonna go back and forth. We're going to talk through all sorts of college football oddities before each pick.
Speaker 1: Though. There is going to be a sound that some of you may be familiar with, Taylor, if you could, there is there is. We stole that from ESPN. Don't tell them. Yeah, we flipped a coin. Hm. We decided that I was going to go first, I believe because I drove up here from Austin. That's correct. Should we get started?
Speaker 2: You feel good about so? We've drafted things. It's sort of like the NBA Draft lottery, where right, it was all notarized in the car. Yeah, So I think it's time. I think we should do it.
Speaker 1: I think it is time, ladies and gentlemen, let's go. Let's get this thing started. There it is, and there will be questions after anybody. We'll do a Q and A after. We're not going to record that, So really go for it, really really? Yeah? All right, Taylor, if you could. With the first pick to yours truly. In the twenty nineteen Fantasy Things draft, I select urban Meyer Coaching Room Smart Smart, so he hit me through it. Here's the thing about urban Meyer. Urban Meyer has lost thirty two games, and however many years he's been coaching. That's really that's like better than Kansas over the last five seasons. Right, I believe so, I believe that, Quick bath Right.
Speaker 2: I went to a state school.
Speaker 1: And he said, three months ago, when people asked him quite pointedly, are you done coaching? He's done coaching? And he said, listen, I'm done. I'm done.
Speaker 2: I think I learned my lesson, right. I think I think I'm done.
Speaker 1: Right. Do you think that will stop people from talking about urban Meyer inevitably going to USC? No, because he's what did he saying?
Speaker 2: I just heard no, you sa section. Indeed, I think people will talk about it. I mean, who isn't watching the Fox pre game show. He's gonna be in all of our minds. I don't think it's gonna happen. I think the thought of for USC fans, of saying we're gonna get urban Meyer is more of a threat than a desire like Oh, okay. I don't think he's gonna like LA. I don't think it's gonna be a fit, and I think they would go in a different direction. And honestly, I don't think USC is going to hire them even if they get rid of Helton. But it will not stop the rumors because people have to talk about something, and trust me, occasionally in LA they talk about.
Speaker 1: College football, not very often. Well here's the thing. Is he too serious for LA?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely think about I don't know if you've ever seen there are commercials in California by the Tourism Board of California. They have like Magic Johnson and actors and actresses talent talking about how cool and laid back and come ride the wave and cal Can you imagine urban Meyer appearing in any of that? The Clippers just spent like five hundred million dollars on players and nobody cares. Nobody's gonna care about urban Meyer in USC. But the rumors elsewhere are going to persist because people need something to talk about.
Speaker 1: I think anytime he looks wooden and somewhat resentful on that Fox pregame show.
Speaker 2: Anytime anytime he does that's his resting face.
Speaker 1: Anytime he does, that's what he looks like. Anytime he does right, that will be a little bit more wood for the fire. Right. Sure does Urban want to go to la right.
Speaker 2: Now and he's gonna be out there doing I think urban Meyer would take the head coaching job of like the Finnish national soccer team. The misery baked into the Scandinavian way of life, I think is better suited for urban Meyer than California. He needs that sort of gut wrenching misery to exist.
Speaker 1: It would it would likely bother him that the others around him. I think you'll you'll do well. I think you'll get points. I'll get point. Do we know what the scoring system is for the Spilelight No, it's it's sort of like Calvin Ball. It changes as we go every year. I think it's a really good pick.
Speaker 2: It's smart, it's smart, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: What's boring, it's wooden.
Speaker 2: It's an awl pick. Shout out to Stratford High, Houston, Texas. That's all I know, all right, Urban Meyer coach, let's good pick.
Speaker 1: It's a good pick. Taylor. I think we're sharing a beer. Is that the difference I'm gonna get I'm gonna go get. I was hearing murmurs back there. Okay.
Speaker 2: With the second overall, Big Dan Rubinstein selects he's got a little Baker Mayfield to Baker Mayfield though.
Speaker 1: All right, so I have I have questions about Bield. You gotta raise the register for your time. Baker Mayfield it out? What?
Speaker 2: What does having a little Baker Mayfield in him?
Speaker 1: Meaning? I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I think it's some combination of being five to ten and a half and kind of a prick, which it's like, which to me?
Speaker 1: Is I like that?
Speaker 2: I think we've got like seventeen Baker Mayfield types in this audience.
Speaker 1: A quick scan, but I love you. I don't know what it means.
Speaker 2: I have a list here and this is media members, this is random fans, this is media guides quotes. I have all of the people who quote have a little bit of Baker Mayfield to him, and it is ridiculous. Here we go and I don't know. I still don't know what it means. Is it feisty, isn't I don't know if it's good it's bad. But this is one true because we verified this with Price Waterhouse Coopers.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are we like an Ernstin Young show. I don't understand, okay, Oh, Sam Howell, North Carolina hasn't played a college.
Speaker 1: You freshman, never played a snap before. It has a little Baker Mayfield to him.
Speaker 2: Will Greer, Tommy DeVito, British comedy legend Alan Bowman, Trace McSorley wasn't good last year, uh Ian book, Charlie Brewer, Sam Hartman, wake Forest, Dereck King Houston, Oklahoma States softball player, Samantha Show Real one hundred percent Real, Drew Locke, longtime shortstop Troy Tulwinski, reel again. We're going Brock Perty, Matt Carral Cornell quarterback Preston Colbert, apparently a.
Speaker 1: Little bag of Montle little bit.
Speaker 2: As you watched the season, he's gonna be the new Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: Not just in the pro. This is a college football podcast.
Speaker 2: You were going to see college quarterbacks compared to Baker Mayfield who are nowhere near as good as him. And they're like, I don't know, he's got a little wiggled to him.
Speaker 1: There's a little he's got that swagger right just it. He runs a little hot.
Speaker 2: He was accused of manslaughters. Yeah, unbelievable. Don't manslaughter. Everybody don't know if it's.
Speaker 1: Good, bad, indifferent.
Speaker 2: I love it and I love it, so I'm feeling good about the point possibilities here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, next bay. So we're doing a snake draft here. Oh yeah, which means you get two in a row. Oh, this is a good one, all right.
Speaker 2: With a third pick, I have selected broadcasting catastrophes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: So this includes a lot of different things. But you know, sometimes you're watching a game and the audio doesn't fully cut out, but suddenly it sounds like the broadcasters are speaking over rotary phones where it's like, all of a sudden, they're like, you know, Baker Mayfield drops back and a drop out audio dropped out, and we are we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Get it fixed. We're gonna get things worked out.
Speaker 2: Sometimes there's only one camera that works, and it's the wide cam or like a random end zone camera. Sometimes the graphics say a wide receiver's name is first name, last name. Yeah, that's the fairst personal favorite of mine.
Speaker 1: I don't root for it, but I kind of do.
Speaker 2: And I'm pretty happy with this because there are first of all, ESPN does not. This is kind of shocking to me. They don't broadcast all of the games on site. Sometimes the announcers are on site, right, and it's produced back in Bristol, which means chaos.
Speaker 1: Total k my favorite, and this is sort of a close first cousin of this is when everything goes sideways and then they just decide we don't have any audio, right, we can't pipe them in via Skype, like Sean McDonough is, he's m I A. We're gonna kick it back to Chris Cotter and he's gonna do the game from a sterile studio like set up back in Bristol. That's what he does, and inevitably it turns into like a podcast episod that would be like the best ESPN podcast to do that, but it's shots fire, but inevitably that's what ends up happening. It's sterile, there's no crowd, microphone whatsoever. There's no ambiance, and Chris Cotter is like, you know, it's like second down. I guess, do you remember the Insight Bowl from like nine years ago? I believe Iowa was me. He doesn't.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the Insight Bowl fans out their insight dot com bowl. It's right, the wow shout out copper Ball. The the wire cam broke, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, fell.
Speaker 2: In fact, there was a stoppage. That's just like, that's one up, one up, one up. I'm getting so many points. If the wirecam falls, don't hurt anybody, wirecam?
Speaker 1: So does it count? If the pylon cam gets blown up? No, I mean that's gonna happen in a separate direction. If that's the only camera that we have available to watch the game.
Speaker 2: If we're squinting at something forty yards away with the pylon cam, yes, that counts.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, if the pilon cam is gonna it's gonna get hit.
Speaker 1: Sean McDonough via Skype is one of the funnier things. McDonough has been kidnapped. That counts if de Seaun McDonald still yeah, he does, okay. Next pick. Next pick is a personal favorite, maybe not just for me, but for many in the room. I select Mac Brown aka Old Dog, New Tricks, New Tricks Balance. So I must I must be very specific, very specific. We did a pick last year where we talked about Scott Frost going back home to Lincoln, Nebraska, Welcome Home Scott Frost, and we knew that that was going to be like a tired story. Everyone is going to talk about welcome home Scot where they're gon fly banners on the stadium right, And we said, rather than that, we need to see a picture of Scott Frost from back in his playing days with a shirt a little too short and there must be a belly button show. You gotta see that. So I am kind of building on that, and I'm saying Mac Brown in any kind of published works, I don't care if it's digital traditional. We need to see his nabel. No that what we're saying, No, no, no, yeah, different, different, Okay, it needs to contain both the phrase old dog and new tricks.
Speaker 2: Old dog, new tricks, Old dog and new tricks.
Speaker 1: So here's the deal with one Mac Brown. As I'm sure many of the room know, Mac Brown has not coached since twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Wow, he was probably really good, though when debatable a couple I heard some groans. Its case, McCoy put his uniform on correctly as far as I know all the time.
Speaker 1: It has been twenty two years since he was last at UNC. They decided that in lieu of Flarry Fedora and whatever went on during Larry Fedora's time in Chapel Hill. We're gonna go back to the well. We're gonna go back to what worked before twenty two years ago, and we're gonna hire Mac Brown. Now, every college football reporter that I have read who has interviewed Mack Brown or has gone down to check I went down to the Chapel Hill to talk to Mac Brown, see what's going on. Everybody comes away intoxicated by this charm offensive that Mac Brown is so good at What.
Speaker 2: Do they say about his true freshman quarterback Sam Howell? A little bit of Baker Mayfield to him all the callback be the first.
Speaker 1: Time, but you know, now he's like got people kind of on his side, and I hope it works for him, because everybody likes Mac Brown. But he's kind of like going to a spread offense and he's going to try out a defensive coordinator from Army yep, and just it feels like he is the old dogs trying some new tricks, but I'm not sure they're going to work right at you, And I'm not sure he has the people to run what he wants to run. Right.
Speaker 2: We got Bobby Patrina going back to Louisville. Great, as far as I remember, everything went well, Oh no, oh no, no, no, they didn't cut super well, feed you out the feed. I'm a little bit worried, not that North Carolina feels burned by him leaving, but coming back after he told them I found a better looking lady, and now he's coming back and he realized maybe this is the lady for him. I'm a little bit worried that it's going to go kind of you know, rocky direction, sooner rather than later. I'm scared of heights, and sometimes when I go up to the top of a water slide, I get up there, I'm like, no, it's not for me. And I think that's gonna happen at some point with Mac Brown, because he's I don't think he fully realizes what coaching in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Is going to entail at a powerhouse sixty seven years old, I believe. Yeah, so this is clearly non intended to be like a long, long term move. Better looking than Randy Edzel on the right. Maybe yeah, oh I saw it. Maybe I didn't say the definitively wow, no brainer to me. Okay, but I'm curious to see how this goes, because you know the game, it's always the thing when an old coach comes back, Like, first off, any coaching changes a bit of a coin flip, right, and then secondly, when you bring the old coach back, it's like a double coin flip to see if he's still he's still got it. So I envisioned this being the kind of thing that Tom Rinaldi just loves. Oh my god, Tom red this is This is exactly Rinaldi Port. Where we're gonna have like it's either something that doesn't google Rinaldi Port. Don't do that, please don't.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna have a situation on college game day where it's.
Speaker 1: Like, can you teach this old dog you can tricks? Yeah, it's gonna happen. I think it's gonna get weird.
Speaker 2: This is a secretly good pick, right, Alright, here's the full list of recent people who have come back to previous jobs and really killed it. Bill Snyder, Okay, there's the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I think it'll be fun for a little while and then it's gonna get weird, probably like tonight, probably tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, I'm up for again. Aren't I yes, you are snaked, all right.
Speaker 1: I love this pic. You love every pick I love. That's a problem children with my next pick I select. I like the drama building. Here's good. You can fits palpable Garrett's Gilbert I select going to the storm radar in the midst of a lightning delay. Yeah, now you're a secret meteorologist, so this really very secret. But so here's my thing. And I was thinking about this on the long drive up here.
Speaker 2: I don't ever remember when we were younger there being such thing as a lightning delay in a football game.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until the millennial, Star Day Millennial.
Speaker 2: It wasn't until the millennials took over that this was the thing books. Yeah, And so inevitably what happens is there's like a storm delay, right, it's like, oh okay, Like we've.
Speaker 1: Asked the fans to shelter go into the corridor, and the players have been like there're been like nine hour games that have transpired over the last five years or so, and there's always that scene where they got to like, well, we have nothing to show here. We can go back to the to the studio, but we need to at least give fans some expectation for when this when we can start this thing back up again, right, And then they go to the radar.
Speaker 2: They always go to the radar, and they do they have a professional looking at the radar.
Speaker 1: Now, no, no, I'll get to the exception.
Speaker 2: But they always have somebody looking at the radar and they're reading off of whatever the National Weather Service has told them for how long it might be.
Speaker 1: The guild.
Speaker 2: They can get people Weather Service in one ear and then somebody on the ground at the game in the other ear, and whatever they're saying makes no sense and we have no idea what's going on, and they only make it more difficult.
Speaker 1: So you don't have the meteorologists pointing, you have the weather guy pointing at the radar. All you have is just a stationary radar that's sort of moving and you don't really know what to make of it. And sometimes, if you're lucky, maybe we can go to the next slide tailor. It's always him. We mentioned Chris Conner before. I don't believe he's even doing studio this year. That's what Adam and he told us.
Speaker 2: We asked him to make sure, and it was like that joke's not gonna land, but it kind of did.
Speaker 1: It's like they might go to him as he's doing ACC network game. It's just real weird being right under his chin. It's a big Chris Cotter. Yeah, but you know, they always go to somebody back in the studio because they don't know what else to do trying to read the radar. The only exception is Mike Terrico. Is he good? Have you heard Mike Terico? Do?
Speaker 2: I watched Notre Dame games. I watched football.
Speaker 1: Underneath about to college. Mike to Rico is astoundedly good at doing the weather.
Speaker 2: I believe that he knows like how cells move, and like, oh yeah, he's really.
Speaker 1: Into the weather. Whenever he's done it during Notre Dame games, lightning delay, anything like that. Mike Rico must see TV knows his weather, to say the least.
Speaker 2: So that's the only exception when this is like, could we go to Chris Cotter while he's calling a game for the ACC network, because who's actually going to know that he's calling a game for the ACC network. Everybody pumped for the ACC Network in this room. See, yeah, yeah, ACC is just acceptable.
Speaker 1: That's fine. Chris Cotter. Yeah, maybe doing the lightning delays. Maybe not, but this is the kind of thing that happens like once or twice every year. I love it so much, and I love it every time it happens. It's sure.
Speaker 2: Do you think was there there was a movie with said Gerard Butler who was trying to control the weather.
Speaker 1: It was a sci fi movie geos.
Speaker 2: Yes. I just reminded me, Oh, that's the whole If that could change things for for the situation, I'm going I'm.
Speaker 1: Going with storm radar. Okay, I like that radar, but I'm gonna go mostly next pick. Here we go. What is the next pick? Oh? This is a good one.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's Chris Connor. It's Chris Connor.
Speaker 1: Is this the right order? All right? Just put it on the screen. What's the next pick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't say that, right, doesn't.
Speaker 1: Did I mess it up? I think you did? Okay.
Speaker 2: So this this story came out a few weeks ago that LSU got a new football facility. I think it was money donated from alone was paid for the new football stelity.
Speaker 1: Everybody got up in arms like they have.
Speaker 2: Sleep pods, and everybody's like, that's so cool that they have sleep pods. Nobody had heard of sleep pods before LSU had sleep pods. And you know what's better than a sleepod that looks like.
Speaker 1: That, a bed? A bed is so much better. You know what else is better?
Speaker 2: Probably a beanbag chair and one thousand dollars in your pocket and every I mean, raise your hand if you'd rather have a beanbag and a thousand dollars in your probet there it is, okay. I don't know what a sleephotted. It seems kind of uncomfortable. And we are going to hear about sleepods because we're going to be seeing LSU's new locker room in perpetuity as teams figure out what to spend money on, Like this is the problem, right, locker rooms and the training table and luxury athletic trainers everything.
Speaker 1: And we have sleep pods.
Speaker 2: We're going to get luxurious gyms, to get luxurious cafeterias. They're going to run out of things and then they're just going to have to give them American dollars, which seems okay.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when having a like iPad that showed your NAE Like I can't speak from experience, yeah, obviously, but after right, do you remember when it was a big deal to have the iPad right with the player's name digitally on the line. I can shazam right from my locker. It was amazing. Yes, and now we're at this point where it's like locker rooms are going to turn into the new prom post slides.
Speaker 2: Everyone is trying to outdo right each other, and it can't go to a good place.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's in Clemson. It's a play place.
Speaker 2: It's a McDonald's backyard, and that's apparently what college kids want slides.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Something has cost me.
Speaker 2: It's a brewster's million situations, like asking his money quick. We got to spend the money real quick. Sleep pods.
Speaker 1: How has Oregon spent their money?
Speaker 2: They bought responsibly and suitably maturely.
Speaker 1: I don't know why you would bring up Oregon. Well, they've got all the new.
Speaker 2: Uniforms and it seems like they sort of play into this one like one up. And do they have all Brazilian walnut in their facilities?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Maybe, but that's okay, that's all ridiculous. Facility upgrades are definitely the kind of thing that draws attention during like college game day, yes, or you know, there's a stoppage of play somehow, Someway and Chris.
Speaker 1: Fowlers like, you know, they just upgrade the facilities this past year. They've got a ballpit. Now see, I'd be okay with that. I'm fine with a ballpit.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying, it's like we're gonna constantly.
Speaker 1: Now. Can you imagine one of the culture one of those commercials.
Speaker 2: So we talked this was a fantasy thing a couple of years ago, where it was like anytime there's a commercial featuring a microscope and somebody dancing for a college that counted as fantasy things.
Speaker 1: And it turns out every.
Speaker 2: University commercial features a microscope and somebody dancing.
Speaker 1: The arts is dance.
Speaker 2: How many of these if you could see in your mind a commercial that's microscope, somebody is playing sports, somebody is you know, writing in a tutoring session, and there's a bunch of three hundred pound dudes in.
Speaker 1: A ball pit.
Speaker 2: I'm listening, That's all I'm saying. If I'm sixteen, like, I like microphones dancing involved this, So it's it's singing my name.
Speaker 1: So I'm okay with that. I like that, Okay, I do all right? We should do an update. Yeah, here we go. Let's take a look. All right.
Speaker 2: We've got urban rumors, old dog mac which don't google that either, No, I don't.
Speaker 1: We've got the lightning radar and.
Speaker 2: We got my lid them. Do you like your team right now better than my team? Well?
Speaker 1: Yes, well I don't even have to say it. What what pick do you like better? Whoever said that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Rivers is strong, boring, but strong. It is boring, It's very strong. Yeah, what's okay? If you like my team better, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: All right. And if you like my team.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Clarification question, yeah you may yes, no, No.
Speaker 2: Specific to l s U players in uncomfortable looking rectangles. Yeah, I was just gonna talk about BUCkies, all right. I'm clearly established dominance in the room.
Speaker 1: I have a good feeling about this. Next pick, This one goes to mister Dan Rubenstein. Is this my favorite? This is my this is sleeper?
Speaker 2: The pick is Marty Smith committing to a bit. If anybody in this room can tell me what Marty Smith's actual job is, I'm just gonna call you a liar because nobody knows Marty Smith wears quarter zips. Explains southern cooking to somebody goes to Italy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he and Tim.
Speaker 2: Tebo get haircuts together. He goes to Dubai because there's a Georgia fan maybe working there. And I don't know what his job is. I don't know if he has a LinkedIn and how he describes it. And I'm going to this is one hundred percent genuine. I love Marty Smith. I love somebody that I'm not really sure what he does. He seems charting charming. Everybody says he's really nice and really kind to people, but it appears that he just wears tight suits and doesn't eat carbs and likes things below Maryland.
Speaker 1: So right, that would be the Mason Dixon life. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's there's something about Marty Smith as he goes across mostly the South. I don't know if you've ever seen a picture of him before he had the beard. It's very scary when he comes against part Is. Yeah, he's very different looking.
Speaker 1: So true true story on that point. Marty Smith has a cult following. Yeah, he has a heart of falling. Because we've been to National champs, We've been to like some of these bowl games where Marty Smith is there. He's sort of walking around and like he can't go four feet without someone asking, can we have a selfie with you? Marty correct? Love your work, worst man? Yeah, what I'll say about him? And again I've heard the same stuff. Everyone loves Marty Smith. He's a fashionable dude because he wears all the fashion trends all the time. At the same time, he is the pioneer, the pioneer who brought the sneaker. The studio host sneaker trend like sneaker and suits, right, he is the one who brought that to ESPN.
Speaker 2: Like an adorable little usher at a wedding that is wearing Chucks with the suit.
Speaker 1: That is correct. Marty Smith is like the grown up version. That is correct.
Speaker 2: He is the three year old usher after dark. Yeah again, we love Marty Smith. We love, love, love Marty Smith. I just he commits to bits during the NBA Draft and this won't count because it's not college football. But he was down in New Orleans when they took Zion Williamson and he crowdsurfed through the French court after they took him. Nobody goes to Pelicans games, but Marty Smith is there to be crowd surf during the NBA Draft.
Speaker 1: It has a little bit of a bear grills feel to it, where it's like, sure, I'll drink my own pea.
Speaker 2: Like where did this come from?
Speaker 1: Why not? Why not? I guess Yeah. He does commit to it, he does go for it.
Speaker 2: And so there is there's something that he just randomly on game day is going to appear randomly during a game in again a quarter zip and a scarf and dressy sneakers and all sorts of deful It's the same time he'll show up next to Tim Tebow and they both have their like side shaved gel cone. I don't know what to call that hairstyle. It sounds like a handle you would call yourself encounter strike side.
Speaker 1: Shave gel cone. But I just love it. I love every bit of it. Look at Marty Smith.
Speaker 2: He's a charman guy.
Speaker 1: He is okay him? Yeah, all right, next pick, I want to talk a little bit, if we could get serious for a second. Yeah, about coaches when their hair goes roke. Yeah, let's have this conversation in earnest. It's a friendly room. We can have this suscession. So a couple of years ago, Bigger Kraken from King Pit.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a few years ago I drafted Mike Gundy's hair, and I think.
Speaker 2: That was before he grew the mullet, wasn't it. Yeah, you like hairlines. There's something about you and hairlines.
Speaker 1: You love that.
Speaker 2: Bob Diaco, former Notre Dame defensive coordinator, very strong hairlines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oklah heah analyst. He took a hardball, yeah, yeah, no, his socks down. Yeah, but I had this. I don't know why I drafted Mike Gundy's hair and then like a year later he grew a freaking mullet, and I had I was inundated with people riding in saying what did you like see this?
Speaker 2: Did you do? No?
Speaker 1: I don't know. So I thought this would be a good time. Now that it's been a few years, removed to sort of level set, let's just examine the coaching profession as a whole as it relates to hair.
Speaker 2: I'm just picturing you, like getting inside information for the fantasy things, calling barbers around still Water like you're on Billions, getting inside info before a stock hit.
Speaker 1: Talking about are you hearing about Gundy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, of course the hair on top of the head is the stuff that most visibly goes rope. The stuff that I'm most excited about is I think the movement we've seen in college football with facial hair. And I want to talk about Lovely Smith.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Holy hell, we don't have a picture of him at already, but imagine Shaved had big white puff. It's a sant of beard. Yeah, it's amazing. He grew it last year.
Speaker 1: It's like time stood still for that moment realizing that this is a real thing that's going to continue. But it wasn't just him.
Speaker 2: We've seen Larry Fedora grow a beard kind of at random, just to get a little edgy. We've seen Mark ricked. I think when Mark Rick left Georgia he was trying to break out of his shell little bit going down to z Alma Mater at Miami.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden he's got a little peach fuzz here. So I'm just kind of curious what twenty nineteen might bring as it relates to coaching hair. Dan. Yeah, well, Manny Diaz is going to be up there.
Speaker 2: He's going to be up there because he has like the one o'clock shadow, where after lunch it starts coming in and so he just might have a mustache one day without even realizing it. I appreciate that the going rogue thing is grace because sometimes it's it's pretty easy to keep a beer trimmed or a mustache trimmed or whatever. Sometimes coaches make deals with players that they won't shave until they lose that kind of thing, which I think is pretty endearing and fun. It brings everybody together. There's something about Dana Holgerson. This is an older picture, but there's something about his hair that he's not willing to give up on that seems equal parts amazing confidence. Ladies love a confident man. Sure, and also that his hair is like a group of fans escaping a lightning delay, like oh god, no, no, oh god, oh no, and he's okay.
Speaker 1: Picture. Yeah, it's a great picture.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't know which coaches specifically, because I think coaches are getting a little bit more. They're paying more attention to their grooming and their personal detail.
Speaker 1: As I don't know, it's such a weird conversation. It won't be Mac Brown. Nothing.
Speaker 2: Nothing's going rogue about Mac Brown. No, no, no no. And you know what else I appreciate this is actually this is going against you. At the same time, both Tom Herman and PJ. Fleck were really.
Speaker 1: Losing and they cleaned it up. They cleaned it up. Yeah, he's holding on. He's hold on. He's holding on, He's hold on. He brought the show down here to Texas r Yeah, he did, so we'll see it. Yeah, that's right. Okay, I guess I don't. Yeah, it's silent. Yeah, okay. So I'm excited to see what the future may hold for.
Speaker 2: Anybody else you think is gonna go rogue facial hair wise, anybody you'd like to see.
Speaker 1: I would like to see what Steve Dazio could do if you just let it go up Toeah. Oh my god, no, because he's because he's like mister cleanup top right. I want to see if he just like, you know what it would be like. It would be like flying over a Dakota at nights.
Speaker 2: You'd see a little light here, it's a little light there, little forrests.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's great. I don't think hear it. Coaching hair going wrong, coaching hair going wrong. Okay, next pick for my next pick, is it Marty Smith. No, I am going to select announcers who gush a little bit too much about a upcoming network TV show.
Speaker 2: This is my favorite, I lied.
Speaker 1: So, so here's the way this works. Okay, they come back from commercial and inevitably, Chris Fowler Adam Amine our friend, somebody is handed a Q card and it's got a script on it, and it's talking about a show, any show that that network has to try and promote. You want to coach, and there's quant of thanking. There's no way that you can go from that read back into the game without a very long and awkward, pregnant pause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brad Nesler's pretty smooth, but even he when he's like a half man, there's Yeah, it's Charlie And.
Speaker 1: What happens in that pregnant pause is what I'm talking about right here. Yeah, because last season, I don't know how many Notre Damers we have in the room here, but last season no settle down. Last season, during the Notre Dame games, Doug Flutie was all in on a show called Manifest. This is true. You've told me about this many times. He was all in on Manifest. And here's why this is a sleeper pick. Yeah, what is Manifest? By the way. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like, I think it's like Lost, but yeah, on NBC it's Diet Lost. Yes, yeah, they renewed Lost for or excuse me, they renewed Manifest for season.
Speaker 1: Two, as we all know. But Doug Flutie is like all in on this thing, man, He's like, well, that's I can't wait to watch next week. Can you believe what's going on there? No one's watching, No one's watched that show. They decided to renew it. Doug Flutie's gonna gush. And I'm telling you, if you watch college football with any regularity, Doug Fluodie is not the only one doing it. He might be the worst of doing it because's Doug Flutie.
Speaker 2: Now, but he's not the only one out there who is doing this where there's that long pause and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, let's talk about Quantico. Why like Quantico Priak? She's great, right, Yeah, you're watching.
Speaker 2: Blue Bloods there, Gary, he always is. Gary Danielson loves blue Bloods. Everybody knows that about Gary.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I enjoy this a lot because a lot of them are older and they're watching Network TV that's pretty much pointed at them, and they have something to say. But Doug Flutie's enthusiasm is startling.
Speaker 1: It is startling. Yeah, it's it's a little I can't talk about Doug Flootie the straight vase. Why not?
Speaker 2: Sometimes really sometime I like him when he does this, Okay, that's when it's exciting.
Speaker 1: Doug Flooty just goes out of his way to overcompliment O posing quarterbacks at all times.
Speaker 2: When I was finding this beautiful imagery and look up Doug Flutie, I discovered that there was a change dot org petition to remove.
Speaker 1: Him from Notre Dame fans, and it was started in this section. I yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why somebody would go to that extent to remove Doug fluti from Notre Dame games. But somebody's grandparent has a lot of time on their hands.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm good. Next next pick.
Speaker 2: This is really good and it also technically includes Marty Smith because it is when broadcaster promos not promos, they promote a non household brand. Let me explain it sounds a little bit con for this. So kirk Herbstreet does commercials for Eckridge Sausage.
Speaker 1: Had anybody I hadn't had anybody.
Speaker 2: Heard of Acreage sausage?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow, seventeen people, okay have heard. I looked it up and it's owned by E and then it's owned by somebody else, then owned by somebody else, and now it's owned by a giant Chinese conglomerate. So that's who Kark hurbent Street is doing sausage commercials for. And then I's really wrong with that, but that's what he's doing it for. It's fine the Shanghai Pork Meat Corp. But then getting in on the action Marty Smith is now doing Is he in there too? Marty Smith is in on the admitting to the bit once more. And then I dug a little bit deeper, Rhys Davis and Molly McGrath doing beverage DELI meats.
Speaker 1: Dug a little bit.
Speaker 2: Further, and I remembered Aaron Andrews was doing true biotics, which is a fancy way of saying pills that help you poop. And I think for a long time ESPN didn't allow its on air talent to advertise things. They wanted to keep it real straight. It's sort of like the NBA, sort of like the NCUBA.
Speaker 1: Then they said go for it.
Speaker 2: And An Andrews was like, I know my first move. I thought they'd never let me, but here I go.
Speaker 1: And then I saw there was a Laura Rutledge and tie who also appears in this commercial, Marty Smith.
Speaker 2: That's what Marty Smith does. It was for Academy Sports and Outdoors. It was a very bad commercial. But I feel like we're going to be getting more and more of these. I feel like we're going to be getting more of these endorsements of non A list brands. And I always really, I mean, it goes back to Aaron Andrews for me, because that was just out of nowhere because if you remember, the commercial was all of them playing a flag football game, yes, and tying.
Speaker 1: It back to probiotic pills.
Speaker 2: I don't remember exactly how it worked.
Speaker 1: There was like a huddle involved.
Speaker 2: And going deep and it all was very confusing, and I think we're going to be getting more of that.
Speaker 1: Didn't Jen Brown do something too? Probably she was working she was doing something for like a supplemental company. It's like, you're right, it's sort of like a thing now that I think we're seeing more of the acridge sauce. I can't even say it a Gridge Sausage. Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit weird. I mean when I think about what is.
Speaker 1: The tie in between Kirk Kirbstreet and the sauce?
Speaker 2: Right, And when the first thing you think about with encased meats, you shouldn't be Kirk Herbstreet.
Speaker 1: To me, it should be something like a barbecue pit master or somebody like that. I mean, part of.
Speaker 2: Getting the spokesperson is having somebody who you think will help sell the product.
Speaker 1: Right, isn't a by that because.
Speaker 2: Of Kirk kurb Street, Not that I know of, But maybe I don't know why doing.
Speaker 1: This is my voice, like I have questions about these things. Yeah, I don't. I don't think they are.
Speaker 2: But I look forward to see, Like if we're going down another run of sausage, is it Joel Klatt?
Speaker 1: Which is.
Speaker 2: I mean, is Joel Klatt diet Herb Street is a Bible study Herbstreet?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, So we'll see.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm excited to see where this goes, is what I'm telling you. Because when it comes to sausage, as all of our parents know, everything's.
Speaker 1: On the table. If here is the question that Taylor posed, Yeah before we came over here today. If you had to pick a one off brand, yeah for you that you would be the spokesperson for what would it be? Uh? It would be a cold brewer? I mean the brand would I think it was?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: Did I?
Speaker 2: It was like Oxo? They make a cold brewer. And speaking of what Aaron Andrews.
Speaker 1: Pills do, the cold brew is great. The cold brew is wonderful. Is David Sunflower Seeds? Enough? Off the off the radar? Ti Hilton ren for David, they're there? They lead the category?
Speaker 2: Do they?
Speaker 1: They lead the category? What about like Amazon Basics? That's that's terrible?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: The evil Empire cand that? Yeah? I'm Tie Hilton bran for USB cables. You need this and you kind of hate yourself.
Speaker 2: For buying it over and over again. That's why I'm Tie Hilton brands. Which one's lightning? Is it the same as thunderbolts?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm Ti Hilton brand for Amazon Basics.
Speaker 1: Who's to say? Is USBC the same as USB?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's for all our our cable nerds out there, Everyboddy shout out cable nerds.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on, yeah, yeah, let's move on.
Speaker 2: Is my pick?
Speaker 1: I believe. So, oh my god, again this is.
Speaker 2: Terrible, all right with the next pick? Oh, this one I like a lot.
Speaker 1: The next pick.
Speaker 2: I am taking disrespect of small schools who are the only ones to offer somebody who finally gets a big offer that sounds like a word salad.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you're watching a game and like, the only offer he got was from UT Chattanooga before Mississippi State swooped in at the last second, and you're thinking, oh, that's pretty cool Mississippi State offered him a scholarship. But also why the Chattanooga shade chattanoogho was all over this kid, chattanoog who wanted him? They were gonna celebrate him. Did you get an offer from Chattanooga? I didn't, So shout out to the Sacramento states of the world that are disrespected every single time.
Speaker 1: They're the only ones to offer a kid. Not to put you on the spot, is there is there a school that gave you an offer.
Speaker 2: I did have a conversation to play doubles tennis, you see San Diego.
Speaker 1: I'm an athlete Division three.
Speaker 2: Not really no, but like you remember when I used that specific example of UTY Chattanooga Mississippi State, because that's Nick Fitzgerald. Nick Fitzgerald. It was when he beat Texas A and M.
Speaker 1: Was that what happened? Yes? Yeah, sorry, sorry guys.
Speaker 2: Wait, so are you A wanting to give your A and M fans or happy that A and M lost to like the SEC's worst quarterback? Okay, just making sure, just making sure, same page. I liked that moment a lot because Dan Mullen, then Mississippi State coach, had a cigar in his mouth and was reminiscing about how the only offer was Chattanooga.
Speaker 1: And then after that game in.
Speaker 2: Which Nick Fitzgerald was really good and he ran all over A and M gigham, he was real bad.
Speaker 1: He was sort of the worst quarterback in the SEC. He looked like a Chattanooga quarterback, which is fine.
Speaker 2: Again, I don't think anybody in this room was offered by Chattanoogle. But I just I don't want to stand for that disrespect.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna happen a lot because we know about the offers that are coming in for these players, and I'm just not standing for the small school disrespect.
Speaker 1: Small school disrespect. Yeah, how does this compare to like old school Michigan State disrespect.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is much worse because this is this is saying you don't belong in the conversation.
Speaker 1: That's all I have.
Speaker 2: Sacramento State, Yeah, this is it's it's disrespectful. I think this is a Sam Houston State player behind us Sam Houston State. Yeah, that's former Phil Longo.
Speaker 1: They're the with the K Bearcats with the K. Never forget that? Yes? Is that true?
Speaker 2: Is there an origin story to that?
Speaker 1: Or they're just like fuck it, We're going with the K. How do we stand out? Ideas? Ideas ideas? Go with the K? Okay? All right, and that's how it happened. Right now. I don't want the disrespect. I like small schools.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can do a Patriot League lightning round right here.
Speaker 1: And right now we've gotten some we've gotten some letters. Yeah, all right, So I think I think we're on our last pick, last pick. Here, here we go, last pick. Has everybody heard of this song called Old Town Road? Wait me talking about you guys? Think about this other town?
Speaker 2: Sorry, this is a Jay Letton moment for you. That was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm turning into him. That's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have to talk and admit about a G chat that you and I had. I heard this song on the way.
Speaker 1: Into work one day, the mysterious stage job, and I was like, whoa, Nas is back.
Speaker 2: That's typical ties like Nas is back, It's back Nas.
Speaker 1: And so I got in we had our normal G chat and Dan was like, no, no, this is Lil Nash okay.
Speaker 2: I do know it's the full name time will nas X excuse X, you need the X there? And then I'm like, is is this like a like a baby Got Back like ironic song?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What is?
Speaker 1: What is going on with serious song? Him? Right, totally serious? Absolutely. Then I looked it up.
Speaker 2: Apparently there's a new genre called country rap okay, which is where they're putting this song. I mean, obviously, you don't celebrate the discography of Cowboy Troy, which fine, you do you? But some of us out here celebrate his works. I'm trying to become a little more culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so then I dug a little deeper and I found that they've done four official remixes of this song and it's been number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred charts for nineteen consecutive weeks. Do you think there is any chance the Stanford band is not playing that song?
Speaker 2: They're definitely doing it poorly, but they're doing it. Let's the tech band, right, that is the tech band.
Speaker 1: They're drag band. They're all dressed like Zorro, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: It's the double rag I double fingers single, no wheezer guns up.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? You think there's any chance that they're not playing this at some point?
Speaker 2: I see would love they're kind of traditional, but yeah, why not. I think they're definitely going to be bands plural playing it.
Speaker 1: So how do I get points for this? Does it have to be people tweeting us, letting us know, emailing us, taking pictures, videos, way to have you from the stadium while they're in the games. And just like videos a band.
Speaker 2: There's going to be tweets and you know people are going to be filming it and stuff. I just need to know if what counts as points for me, because I think this is a sleeper pick. Anytime a band plays anytimes doesn't count. Pet band during basketball. It's got to be during football season because that's pretty folks for it. Yeah, so you think it's gonna happen a lot. I think this is gonna happen a ton.
Speaker 1: I don't think I fully.
Speaker 2: Remember that the Tech band dressed like this, and I am so happy that they do because it's so boring, like the Longhorn band is not that fun to the cowboy hats and frails.
Speaker 1: This rules. This is great. They've got this weird open vest thing.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: And they got a cape. They do have a cape. The cape is key. I'm all about it.
Speaker 2: I'm all about the Texas Tech look and hoefully playing little Nasax.
Speaker 1: If anybody has any.
Speaker 2: Connections, nas is not badly, nas is not. You're the most Caucasian person here.
Speaker 1: All right, Taylor, flip it up there, let's see what we got here. Okay, full teams, how do you feel? Okay?
Speaker 2: So I obviously, and this crowd loves Marty Smith.
Speaker 1: So that's gonna be a big earner for me.
Speaker 2: Because he does nothing but commit to bits, always commits to the bit. You'll get old town marching bands, old town road marching bands, some what the gushing TV promoting.
Speaker 1: You're pretty dependent on Flutie. I mean he's gonna do it six times a year, right, do you think if he's listening to this. Do you think he will do he'll steer into Do you think there's any chance Doug Flutie knows how to download a podcast, because I'm going now, no, no, he's not downloading like overcat Right. The rogue coaching.
Speaker 2: Hair, I think Olgers is gonna get it together. I don't think a lot of people are going to be taking chances this year, but I think you're gonna get it in place.
Speaker 1: It See, we didn't say Holgerson, we said coaches. Correct. So someone's hair is gonna go rogue, and someone's gonna it could be Manny Diaz. He might grow it between the first and second half. Okay, someone's hair is gonna go rogue, and I'm gonna get points light ding probably early on late summer. I think that's gonna hit for you nicely.
Speaker 2: The Mac Brown Old Dog New Tricks is.
Speaker 1: Very specific, specifically Old Dog with New Tricks. Because here's the thing, Tom Bernaldi special.
Speaker 2: If Mac Brown has and this is I'm just making this up right now, Let's say he is mis evaluated.
Speaker 1: Quarterbacks for North Carolina.
Speaker 2: I know it's crazy, far fetch that Mac Brown would misevaluate a quarterback. Let's say that happens in North Carolina, and they're disappointing this year because they've not been great recently. One would say, yeah, a new trick would be finding a quarterback right for mac Brown. So I don't know if this is gonna pay dividends because they might not be so good this year.
Speaker 1: So that's definitely not gonna be good this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we're gonna take it for this year's season.
Speaker 1: I just think I just think this is definitely going to be a bit Okay, this is going to be something that's written about, something that you see on broadcasts.
Speaker 2: Urban Meyer rumors, Yes, unless us he is really good, unless USC starts winning games. For those listen to get home, we had a loud cackle in the room, totally warranted. It was a cackle like how how could you think us he could posibly? I mean so, but in USC, and they start out the season pretty top the Presno and standard, they have tough teams.
Speaker 1: We struggled with this one mightily because we had about eight different USC threads that we could have pulled on, not the least of which was obviously this one. But it was also kind of funny to just put up on screen Clay Helton's stay of execution. Yeah, that's that's dark.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a little dark, but it still plays fair and he still cannot be recognized in a Hudson News now, So that's that matters. That matters, And on your side, you've got a begger. I feel it it's gonna do really well because it goes across a lot of teams potentially, but.
Speaker 1: You're counting on again, something very specific and that a little shorter than average and prickage tendency to get you points. I love that band.
Speaker 2: Edgy yes, lyrically all over the place, but prinkish tendency.
Speaker 1: The broadcast disaster thing is something you pick because you like it, not because you care about points, right, And I'm fine with this strategy because when that happens, we will be inundated, inundated with all sorts of posts. All we need is a camera malfunction. All we need is the wire cam default. No, we don't need that, you don't want that.
Speaker 2: All we need is audio to go out. But you have to remember something. There are so many games across so many divisions, and do you think, like a random Jacksonville State game, if somebody happens to be watching that listens to the show and something goes wrong.
Speaker 1: Now they're gonna let us know.
Speaker 2: There are so many broad Does it count if the first and ten line goes out? Absolutely, that's a graphical catastrophe. Okay, because it my graphical catastrophe open for brickish tendency in.
Speaker 1: My book, the first and ten line is like right up there with the cotton gin, Like it's a very important invention that we have in college football viewing experience. Yea, and if you lose that cotton gin joke, it well shout out yeah, if that goes down, it sort of ruins the whole experience.
Speaker 2: That's true, doesn't count if there's a hot mic and somebody doesn't realize it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's major points.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. I just think there's so many ways for a broadcast to really go to a bad place. Graphical airs, the on field errors, camera errors, audio errors.
Speaker 1: Did you already mention like when the player graphic is wrong and they just have first name, last name absolute put up by this day counts a right?
Speaker 2: I just think that's there's a variety there, the.
Speaker 1: Number of things you could go wrong there. And know that you mentioned it. What else you've got, ellis you sleep on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna be unless Yeah, they're gonna show that off. It might only be early season, it might only be you think, so okay, yeah, like showing those shots like as bumpers with commercials November, It's like.
Speaker 1: Do they have to reference the sleep pods? Can they just show the sleep pods?
Speaker 2: I think they just have to show Okay, I'll accept it.
Speaker 1: I think if they show them, we'll count it, okay, because it's the first thing they're gonna show. If they show the locker room and they got.
Speaker 2: Sleep pods, no one else's sleep pots, Okay. Next Marty Smith can be to a bit. Okay, So that's a loose definition, do you think. I mean, he's gonna be on game Day probably most weeks, He's going on Sports Center, SEC Network, whatever he is. There's a picture by the way, the SEC Network got a new studio and it's a bunch of the hosts in dress gear. You know it's it's they're wearing suits, they're wearing dresses and Marty Smith is wearing T shirt ands and Jordan's because he commits to being Marty Smith.
Speaker 1: I love it, so do you think that's gonna hit. It's gonna hit every week. Okay, that's pretty good. Next mid tier endorsement. I don't think it's great.
Speaker 2: It makes me laugh, but I don't think it's gonna hit every week because we do we have to have a new endorsement every week or.
Speaker 1: Do we just have to have a commercial? I think we just need to have a commercial. Okay, then that's gonna you need you, yeah, you need like Adam a Mean to start doing like I.
Speaker 2: Didn't realize that coverage was this popular.
Speaker 1: Apparently that average good though some people are bullying.
Speaker 2: Someone said, yes, okay, that's probably fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, is that the worst sausage? I guess right?
Speaker 2: And the small school offer, small school offer.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be somewhat. We're gonna have to watch a lot and pay.
Speaker 2: Attention to a lot of these games, a lot of games. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, it could be in written form too.
Speaker 2: That his only offer was until he got blah blah blah, was that he was gonna be a Delaware mud Hen. That the mud Hens, right, or the Muddheads.
Speaker 1: It's a great name.
Speaker 2: Not as good as Bearcats, but the k but the mud Hens are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Blue head Blue Heads say you're the Muddy Tolato is the mudd Hens.
Speaker 2: It's a minor league baseball team. I've had eighty one percent of a beer.
Speaker 1: So that being said, yeah, by I guess applause here a sitable poll. Yeah, if you like my team, obviously, let's hear it is a whole light. I had to cue them, which is never a good song. Okay, that's not a good sign. Yeah, dance team, I mean, what is pretty Taylor.
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now what no, Yeah, I know. So these are our teams, and we are gonna hit stop on the record button because this is going to go out. This brilliant show is going to go out into the worlds. We're gonna hit the top button and now we just answer questions, right, is that.
Speaker 1: What we will? Then we will answer questions. But so here is the way the rest of this is going to work. As we said, we did the second half of this, if you want to call it that, the second half of this.
Speaker 2: On the car ride up from Austin this morning, it's in Tao. It's entirely separate.
Speaker 1: Show that we're doing tomorrow in DC. We wake up at God knows whatever to fly over there, and eventually we will piece these together and they will be one just terrible show that it'll be great on some sorry. Yeah, that everyone could download and listen to the full slate, but each of us will have twelve picks, and at that point then I guess we'll try and do our best to score this thing, but somebody else will did the score it for us? We have people people will score it. Yeah, yeah, okay. How do you feel about your team?
Speaker 2: You like?
Speaker 1: I feel great?
Speaker 2: I feel really really good because when you when you align yourself with Marty Smith, when you align your mouth with Baker Mayfield, when you align yourself with I guess mixed reviews of sausage, acroage sausage. Yes, Achrod sausage. They should be sending us some sausage for all that we have done on this show. I feel pretty great. I feel like I'm gonna take you down again for the third straight year. The first year, yes, it would be the third Street bullied.
Speaker 1: You bullied me? Yeah, yeah, that was not fun. Well, but we will see. So at this point, I would like to thank our audience, yes for being such a good sport and hanging with us through our madness here. So that was Texas, which was an amazing experience. We cannot wait to go back there. Thank you to everyone who came out to see us in person. It was a ton of fun. Now, before we get to DC, some quick housekeeping. As you know we've been saying it, we're excited that we've joined up with the wonderre podcast network, home to shows like Sports Wars hosted by our good friend Dan Rubinstein, the Dead Cast, all sorts of great shows at wondery dot com. To help us to help wonder continue bringing you the best possible experience, we'd like to learn a little bit more about you, so if you could, if you wouldn't mind doing us a solid, please complete a short survey out at wondere dot com slash survey. That's WOA d e r y dot com slash survey. You'll have an opportunity to tell us what you like about the show, what you'd love to hear more of in future episodes Wondery dot com slash survey. All that said, here's what took place live on Night two of The Fantasy Things Draft from Union Stage in beautiful Washington, DC. Haven't Hi Woo.
Speaker 2: So we can't see how many people are out there because the lights are very bright. But it sounds like we've got quite the audience here tonight, Daniel. It's like live aid where it just.
Speaker 1: Keeps going back. You can't really see. I can't get it. There we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys are endless and wonderful.
Speaker 1: Kay.
Speaker 2: Can I start by saying something real quick?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: We feel way too far.
Speaker 1: Apart right now. I know this is the farthest we've been apart, like four days maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So if we were to be any closer to the middle, you would see the cone of this jewfrow on the screen. And nobody needs that. Nobody needs that. First of all, thank you for comings This is incredible. The energy in here is it feels real good, real good.
Speaker 1: It feels good.
Speaker 2: And I want to tell you yesterday we were in Dallas. We did the show in Texas, and before we got started, I went to the little boys room and there were a couple of freak going clearly pretty clearly listeners in there. Okay, okay, they were they were in college polos or whatever. That's what people in Texas do. I guess they were college polos. Checks out and A guy looks at me while we're in there, like makes eye contact with me, says nothing, and then we walk out sort of at the same time, and he says, I didn't talk to you in the bathroom. Bathroom medicits.
Speaker 1: I learned that.
Speaker 2: Like you just made it way weirder than it had to be because I felt the contact there. So it's very good people not greeting me as we both We've had a separate bathroom today, which was helpful in that respect, So thank you for coming out.
Speaker 1: We call this show our Fantasy Things Draft. What is a Fantasy Things draft?
Speaker 2: Well, some of you may be familiar with a thing called fantasy football, and fantasy football. You pick, you pick the players, right, yeah, you pick an imaginary children.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you try to set the groundwork.
Speaker 2: Usually I like to ask how many people are here against their will? But we can't really see.
Speaker 1: So i's gonna have to like a show of hands. I won't be able to tell I see zero hands. Somebody is here against their will, and so we have to there we go, thank you, thank you. Somebody is here against their will, at least one person, and we like to try and set the groundwork. So in fantasy football, you pick an imaginary team.
Speaker 2: Of football players. Instead of picking a team of football players, we like to pick a team of football storylines.
Speaker 1: Correct. And this year, because we were feeling a little saucy, we decided instead of doing just one show, maybe we'll do two. Yes, maybe we'll do it in the same weekend in different cities. So last year we are We did a show last night in Dallas, which is awesome, and now here we are in DC on about four hours sleep, but nonetheless an entirely different show. It is not the same show we did last night, as we're going to talk about here in a few minutes, We're going to go through I think what our picks were last night, and then pick some new ones for tonight, and then you guys are getting a prem hum. Hey, it's going to be it's gonna be a premium show. So this is what it looks like right now. If you look at our rosters, and again, this is reveal day two, it is not at all Round two. We looked over the picks on the plane over here, and in addition to the fact that we got to go back through these the second time, we're pretty excited about what we have here, so I guess we can just get into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's get well. Can we go back to the rosters real quick? By a show of applause?
Speaker 1: Are you a person or you?
Speaker 2: Does t I have the better roster to you?
Speaker 1: There was a hesitation there. I don't have the hesitation. It's the Notre Dame fans. It's coming slowly, okay, okay, so that's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 2: We're still friends and for my roster, not even I think that's about like it was last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I aded to you a little bit. Okay, okay, okay, Yeah, so I'm already know. Yeah. Is everybody ready for day two of the Fantasy thing stretch? This is dark Jealing team. Here is the way this works. I have a very cool sound that I stole from ESPN. Don't tell them it goes like this one more time, Taylor for the Notre Dame fans. Can we hear louder? He's shrugging in the back.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Dan, can you give us a dramatic it's a it's something like esp draft time tailor work on.
Speaker 1: When you get it, just play it. Yeah, that'd be good. He's putting his hand up. All right, we'll get it. So with the first now we're getting closer. We're getting closer. We're getting closer. We'll get it eventually. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: Broadcast error, brother, do you have a recorder that you can play it on?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right?
Speaker 2: With my first pick of the day of the DC of the Fantasy Thing Show, I would probably like to select Trevor Lawrence's draft stock.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm hm. Trevor Lawrence's draft stock.
Speaker 2: So it's explain what the stock means in this draft. Trevor Lawrence quarterback for Clemson. Trevor Lawrence, clearly I think the best quarterback in the country.
Speaker 1: Maybe up for debate, maybe not. He was only a true freshman last year, had a very good campaign, scalded this ship out of Notre Dame in that playoff game, and now here we are entering year two is true sophomore campaign. And inevitably they are going to be NFL draft types who you will hear are just quote unquote drooling over Trevor Lawrence's draft stock and what he brings to the equation, what he could bring. And it begs the question, what kind of NFL hot takes are we going to get this season, will it inevitably lead to a place where we're wondering do we want to go full sam Hinkey with this?
Speaker 2: Do we just want to trust the process, double tank and just tank two years in a row to get Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The fun thing about this to me is when you mentioned like the NFL types drooling over Trevor Lawrence, I immediately pictured Charlie Casserly and that's horrifying Thereio.
Speaker 1: That's not Charlie Castler, that's mal Kuiper.
Speaker 2: But there's something about the NFL types and I think it makes it weird that Trevor Lawrence has the hair that he has, that he has the long, blonde, flowing hair, and there's like the dream weaver playing in the backs of these NFL gms.
Speaker 1: See I had on our list originally, and we can read that we have a huge list right that we can go through later. What we were originally going to go with some of the ones that we weeded out, but originally I wanted to go with I want to call it Trevor Trevor Lawrence's Locks of Love. Yeah, And I kid you not. Like a week ago, David Hale from ESPN wrote an article literally titled of locks and lore Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's also the reporter who who asked about the question about clemsoning and we're like, oh, well, we're personas non grass there, Thanks David.
Speaker 1: So the question remains, would you tank two years to get Trevor Lawrence? No?
Speaker 2: I would not, but I don't care. I'm not an NFL person. But the thing is, I think this is going to do pretty well because if he's good for the next couple of years, you're getting I mean, not two years worth, but all season.
Speaker 1: It's the ACC. Who are they going to play? So this is true? Oh whoa see, we didn't get.
Speaker 2: That in Texas when I'm when we were talking about the ACC and you know, it's the ACC ACC It's acceptable. That's what the tag line as. Yeah, it's that's what it is. That's what the Tech's football.
Speaker 1: We do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It goes up with a register. Okayas is drafttock.
Speaker 1: I feel very good about Trevor Laarnces. Oh, cash, Doc, that's pretty good. Can we go into my first pick? Let's go the next one?
Speaker 2: Yes, give it up before we go on, give it up for our hometown boy Taylor, who's all right?
Speaker 1: Who we got for pick two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should also mention we're doing a Q and A after the dr the draft gear. Okay, So this one to me was a no brainer. And the fact that t I didn't take this number one overall speaks to his issues. I have Manny Diaz bringing that swag back to Miami.
Speaker 1: We did some research.
Speaker 2: Apparently Manny Diaz has not been the first person tasked with finding that renewable source of swag.
Speaker 1: We did, we scanned.
Speaker 2: Apparently Randy Shannon was bringing the swag back to Miami, Al Golden, Mark Ricks, Apparently John Gruden at one point was rumored he like his scowl, right, his scowl should be bringing the swag back. And that's why we would someday like to author the book. Oh there's there's Mark Ricks.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Well, short lived, and then we wanted to write a book about the search for the lost swag the Hardy Boys.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's come, it's coming. There here it is slow revealed the missing Swag. I'd read it. I'd read it.
Speaker 2: I don't know what swag is, obviously, look at me, but I've watched Miami football and I'm not sure they do either, So they need to throw a forward pass swag.
Speaker 1: That's all it take. Because Miami and Fins. Yeah they have fans. Yes, outside of Florida.
Speaker 2: No, probably, Yeah, a few.
Speaker 1: He's out there, Yes, here he is. We found him. It's the rock.
Speaker 2: He's here and he's in the fourteenth throw. Yes, Miami has fans. Many Diaz may bring it and I don't know if we can go back to the beard shot.
Speaker 1: Of many Dias. I don't think he has it anymore.
Speaker 2: He kind of looks like the guy from Silicon Valley, which worries me. That's probably what I'm talking about. The and you love his hair, I do. Is that a pro or a con for his swag possibilities?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it could only add to it, right, does it? Well? What I like about the hair? And you know I've got this thing for like coaching hair.
Speaker 2: Excuse me former Temple coach Benidia.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but he uses an awful lot of product on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, And when you doubse that that main like a mufassa Maine like that with product you see holes in it.
Speaker 1: You don't see any holes in that. That's like a lego man hair, right, there's a lego man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and all the way, by the way that beard he shaved in the morning, did he grew that by like one pm? It's a noon shadows. So I went with the swag instead of Manny Diaz's father.
Speaker 1: Was the mayor of Miami. Yeah, for like eight years, just.
Speaker 2: Because there's a possibility that we'll hear I don't know, acc Network play by play host Chris Cotter say the word swag four times this year, and I thought you.
Speaker 1: Missed an opportunity. The swigger one's good.
Speaker 2: I thought you missed an opportunity not talking in a little bit more depth about how he's just from the area, like his dad was mayor, he's from there.
Speaker 1: Maybe a little bit of bad blood because he went to Florida State, right, But nonetheless he's he's a hometown boy. He knows. We'll talk about hometown boys a little bit later on. But you know, I thought that was a better opportunity. But swag is at least funny for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's closer to catching Virginia Florida State, Miami, Florida State Miami.
Speaker 1: It's that kind of thing where there's that that's back and forth, like.
Speaker 2: Elite college football a SEC program, Virginia.
Speaker 1: ACC. We played football. You have the next pick? Oh I do have the next pig? Oh yeah, we're doing the snake trap style right. Yeah, Oh this is great.
Speaker 2: I have transfer portal coaching pissiness. It's a whole umbrella term.
Speaker 1: It's like a whole genus under which there are multiple species. Yes, yeah, there's ylums, there's species. I can't go much farther than that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So basically, it's been an off season that I think is going to carry into the season at least the first month of the season. But they give press conferences every day where we have coaches saying things like, well, I think it's quitting. I think it's you know, these guys don't know the value of toughing it out. And then you get these conversations of like why do kids go to concerts and film it with their phones? Thanks Pat s FitzGeralds for your your look into the brains. The good thing I like about this is it gives us moments. It gives us storylines of coaches coming out and saying they're they're really taking a hardline stance about this, but behind closed doors, they're basically four year olds negotiating vegetables for desserts with backup five star quarterbacks who they desperately don't want to leave. So like the three pieces of broccoli for a couple of package plays justin Fields, please and we're gonna get a lot of the transfer portal sub Well's what's interesting about the transfer Portal is I still don't feel like anyone really knows what it is. We have a sound, we have thank you, we have a sound that we play for it. The transfer portal is not one.
Speaker 1: Of the flower Pots and Super Mario Brothers. In case you're wonder now what this thing is. As per my knowledge and our knowledge, you can get to this site going to zip recruiter dot com slash transfer Portal. Yeah, and then I think once you get there you can somehow.
Speaker 2: I don't know who makes the accounts, but my guess is that on the back end of it, it's sort of like a match dot com situation, or maybe there's a filter and like maybe you can send messages if you're a school.
Speaker 1: If you get a message from James Franklin, he's trying to fish you that do not click on that link from James Franklin. Can you customize profiles like we just there's so much about the transfer portal, right that we don't know, and maybe the coaches don't either. Maybe that's why they're kind of pissy about it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean they've all been fished all of these Yeah, they're on Facebook recruiting. It's it's a tough day. I like this. I mean, it's gonna get me points. We think about the older coaches coming back to college football, Mac Brown, Les Miles, Bill Snyder is probably.
Speaker 1: Going to be catfished. I don't know how, but there is going to be complaining and there is going to.
Speaker 2: Be back in my daying all over the place. This is going to do very well for me. I'm pretty excited. All right, let's go to the next chair.
Speaker 1: For my selection. I'm going with tiny field demonstration. Yes, they really like that one. They did get better than I thought. Yeah, So all right, do we want to demonstrate on a tiny stage? Picture me as Dave jan Stat and it's him, Tea. I know you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: America's worst gym teacher. He's trying to bring in Brady Quinn. Like, Brady Quinn, you're the offensive tackle. I'm going to show you how four to three underworks and there's two feet here and two feet there.
Speaker 1: It's all like, I don't know when they started actually making these fields, Like somebody had the bright idea, Like we've got a bunch of ex athletes and coaches up here.
Speaker 2: We're eager to explain the way that football works, right, which is what they are presumably paid to do. The problem with that is you cannot explain the spread offense on a field about as wide as this. The whole purpose of the spread offense is that the field is like eight times wider than this. Yes, so how are you going to explain it on something that well Dave wants that is thirty one percent of the width of this field?
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So you've you've got a bunch of coaches, former players who've put on some girth, and they all look like very bad Algebra two substitutes, and they're showing you how to.
Speaker 1: Rip and dip and it's the best. Yeah. I mean we're talking where we are talking about fields measured in feet not yards, and it's just very difficult to explain complicated subjects. I have never ever in a million year, has gotten any kind of like new information out of that, right, My only takeaway has always been like, yeah, these guys just still want to play. Yeah, they don't care if I.
Speaker 2: Understand, And we're never really gonna get the RPO scheme on this, like twelve foot field. They just want to get out there and just you know, roll up the sleeves and have at it. There is a good possibility that we're gonna get a I don't know what to do with my hands moment from Urban Meyer home.
Speaker 1: Well you uh, well, you know it's funny because in the in the promo for his new show, Yeah, he's standing next to Brady, who I think is playing center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's yeah, there's coming back there. They've got their shirt, their jackets off, and they're all just trying to figure out what's going on. What this poor director is tasked with doing. I Miss Dave wantstad tiny field demos.
Speaker 1: I think that's good.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to watch the Fox pregame show to get it, and so maybe you'll get points.
Speaker 1: Who's to say they build like a portable version at game Day? Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: And you get to see Marty Smith's shoes, that's right. Yeah, that's how we know about his shoes.
Speaker 1: All right, next pick, let's do a little hometown bit here. Okay, let's talk about the new coach of Maryland football, Mike Loxley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you know?
Speaker 1: So what I like about this I like about eight things about this pick. But what I like most about this is the fact that when Mike Loxley took over, he was very pointed in saying, this is my dream job job. And this is after Randy Hetzel took over and said this is my dream joh, So, I like Maryland football. I want Maryland football to be better. We talked to our friend Taylor, who is back there. Please another round of pause, come on. He was a very proud Maryland fan and yeah, yeah, And what dawn of me is that all the reasons that Taylor, as a Maryland guy, likes Mike Loxley have nothing to do with football, and that strikes me as a bit of a problem. Yeah. So, the reason that I think people are excited about Mike Loxley, it's not because he punched a guy in New Mexico. We can get into that later. He did do that, not that, just the facts, but Mike Loxley's a hometown guy and presumably he knows the DMV better than anybody else, right.
Speaker 2: And that is kind of his brand now. He knows how to navigate like the dangerous terrain of the DMV.
Speaker 1: He can be your shirpo. Yeah Maryland football Mike Loxley. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, there's no coach in America that is credited with knowing an area like Mike Loxley knows the DMV or is it just DMV. I don't know if there's a the It's like the interstate thing in California. I don't know which way we go. Is there a the DMV? Okay, who's to say and like it? It is astounding that he has built up this reputation as a okay coach, but he knows the DMV. He brought a relious bend to Illinois. Shout out all the ali and I back there.
Speaker 1: No, no, all right, all right, first show ever, I took a swing. I took a swing.
Speaker 2: Usually packed to the gills with a lion I football fans, but it almost makes me feel like he's a YELP power user in the area. There's just I don't understand why he is the one who gets all the credit. Is are there Yelp power users.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's the one who, like is the terrible uber driver who says, no, I don't listen to Ways, I know the area and then gets contracted Mike Locksley drives into a construction zone.
Speaker 1: So the lesson of this is Ways knows the DMV best. I don't know. I do like the fact that he wanted the job more than anyone else. And the other thing that Taylor pointed out is he might have been the only one, yeah, who wanted it. I don't know if that's true or not. I've just you know, facts only, But I'm going to root for him. I don't know. I want Marylynd's better.
Speaker 2: So the problem or the good thing is, no matter what happens with Marylyn this season, that's the talking point exactly. That's twelve and if they make a bowl, it's still gonna be twelve times that you're gonna get points.
Speaker 1: Because I don't think they're gonna make.
Speaker 2: A ball, all right, our last pick of the first half, the first half of day two. So this is the off season looping, right, This is they looped a terrible loss in the weight.
Speaker 1: Room all season long to really sell it home. How bad they were.
Speaker 2: I don't know this is I think we're on Gary on the screen, so I don't know if that will Probably what Penn State, Yeah, it could be Wisconsin. And there's just something about off season motivation. It's probably only gonna pay dividends.
Speaker 1: Early on in the season for me. But like he added thirty pounds of muscle in the off season, you can't. We looked it up. We did some research.
Speaker 2: As jacked humans like Ty and I are, you can't add that much muscle.
Speaker 1: If you come if you come back and report to fall camp looking like David Boston, that's a problem. That's it. It's a little fishy that maybe there's something more going on there. Correct.
Speaker 2: And so the off season motivation thing, I was trying to figure out what it would be to like really motivate me. That would be looped in my room NonStop, and it would be those texting bubbles that come up when I was dating. You see that that bubble come up, be like, oh here it comes a great message, and then it disappears. That's the motivation that haunts me to this day. I have a son, I am happily married, and those.
Speaker 1: Bubbles really do me.
Speaker 2: They really do so I think is going to come up early on in the season. Probably not with Michigan too much after the way they ended their season last year, but it's gonna come up. I like this pick an awful lot because it's something you hear. We did a pick last year where we talked about a strength coach having a screw loose.
Speaker 1: You might remember that.
Speaker 2: That might be required for this pick, right, or at least a coach with a screw loose. Yes, to just decide that this is a good way to motivate players. Now, are you an easily motivated person at the gym?
Speaker 1: I don't think at the gym, believe.
Speaker 2: I don't think that this would do it for me personally, right, but maybe it works for somebody. We're going to see it. We're going to see it around and it's going to be weird. And I want to see the clips. That's they never really show the clips. I want to see the clips looping and looping and looping, and.
Speaker 1: They never showed the clips. It's always just a talking point. Now they don't.
Speaker 2: So why don't we just show the first three picks for each of us a review?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And why don't we bring up an expert because we don't know what we're doing obviously, Why don't we bring up our friend who writes, who is part of the grander college football you know verse? She writes for vox dot Com. She used to be at every day. She should be Saturday Ladies and gentlemen, Jane Coastin.
Speaker 1: Get her a mic. Did we figure out how we're Are we all standing? Are we all sitting? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: Do we have a mini field that maybe we can run some places? I think you're good talk show?
Speaker 1: Yeah there it is?
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, you can hear me.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's up, Jane? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Ty?
Speaker 4: This is a this is DC, which means we have to bring in politics. As anyone told you that you look kind of like peek booty.
Speaker 2: Everybody probably not like any time stick around. Ty's got some plans. I'm announcing my presidential run after the show.
Speaker 1: Yeaheah, it's uncanny.
Speaker 2: Jane also volunteers to compare college football things to political things. It helped, which seems haunting. And I don't know it's who it's more insulting too. Honestly, this is what you choose.
Speaker 3: It's great because sometimes I'm like no, no, no, you have to remember that college football is a game and politics should not be a game. Like remember that one time when like politics was like serious and college football was fun and then everything became not dead.
Speaker 1: I didn't like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's great to have you on this big college football stage. I don't know how often that'll happen for Michigan.
Speaker 1: For your.
Speaker 2: Soul, make this happen for you, don't don't make it married this family.
Speaker 4: We can just talk about Michael Dyer all day. He can't, Yes we can.
Speaker 2: He was down, See all right, round of applause?
Speaker 1: Was he down? And it's the whole the whole place, the whole place agrees. Why don't we Why don't we take a look at this?
Speaker 2: And as you can be our our melkiper our Todd McShay, how would you analyze the the value that we have early on?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that let's be real here, I think that the use of the term swag is going to get Dan a lot of points. I agree, because no one knows what it is, which is why you're going to hear like Lee Corso talking about like this person has a lot of swag.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not that I mean basically, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: They bring Lee corso, drive them off, but transfer portal because then you get to complain about the youths. Yes that no one can explain you you sorry, just wondering, and then again off seat. This is a motivation, which means they'll just keep bringing up things I don't want to think about right that I don't acknowledge having happened, and that will be personally painful to me.
Speaker 4: So I think Dan's roster looks pretty.
Speaker 2: Good, right, would you like to say anything about mine? Yeah, I mean, I mean friends to Jane.
Speaker 3: I do think the tiny Field demo is going to be great, especially because it's like the best thing about Fox's lineup is that it's clearly people who think that they should still be playing football in some part. So Reggie Bush is like no, no, no, like snap it to me. Uh huh, we'll do this right here and now, and everybody's like.
Speaker 1: No, Reggie, no, no, it's over. Yeah, it's over.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the actual last segment on the show. It's over, Reggie, it's over.
Speaker 4: It's time, it's time, just send send it home.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's over. So that's gonna get him points. What else do you have?
Speaker 2: Uh no, Ty, this looks good.
Speaker 1: Uh Ty.
Speaker 3: I think the Mike Locksley thing is going to be great, especially for the extremely DMV related. The regrettable thing is that Maryland football has fan so.
Speaker 1: Sam, he's right there.
Speaker 3: Hey, No, it's always fun when you play Maryland and something that isn't basketball, because then you just bring yourself to Maryland and you're everyone.
Speaker 1: Needs to be there.
Speaker 2: It's great. Oh man, like you, it's like a Michigan game.
Speaker 4: I can get you on the metro.
Speaker 2: It's fine for everybody.
Speaker 1: We'll have to remember that one. Write that one down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Poor Maryland's people are going to be referring to them as an acc up and comer in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Poor Turts.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, I got I think I'm stronger here. I do like the sweat segretary of swagger culture. I can't even say that.
Speaker 1: No, I like this. I feel good about what I have coming up though, Okay, yeah, I do feel good about it.
Speaker 2: You're a finisher, okay, yeah, right now you have me ahead.
Speaker 3: Yes, early ahead, you had early, but you know there's still time for you to get scored on a bunch because you don't have any defensive line speak of.
Speaker 1: It's so.
Speaker 2: Now tough but fair, Yeah, tough but fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah you hired Brady Hook.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that was we agreed to never ever.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, you started this, I know I did.
Speaker 2: You did. Ladies and gentlemen, Jane co Sam read her, follow her treasure her.
Speaker 1: I need a towel. So who is up to pick?
Speaker 2: So I guess I think you're up again. I have the off season loping, so the pick is in Taylor. So I have selected an unusual major. If you can't fully see the screen, it says the Yukon Puppet Arts Complex.
Speaker 1: And this doesn't happen often. Sometimes during a Stanford game, it does happen.
Speaker 2: It does happen during a Stanford game in but he's usually sociology, English, Business, something like that, Business administration, general studies, general studies.
Speaker 1: Sure, sometimes you'll see.
Speaker 2: Let's assume Dan Orlovsky at Yukon a puppet arts major. Stanford had Andrew Luck as an architecture major, and people freaked out that it deviated this much from a normal major. That the thing that hurts me, though, I will say that Tom Hammond is not calling games anymore.
Speaker 1: Baby, for Notre Dame in NBC.
Speaker 2: Tom ever met a slightly different major that he didn't want to talk act.
Speaker 1: For fifteen minutes. Yes, that was his calling card.
Speaker 2: It was. It was sad to see him go, and I'm sure wonderful for you, but it was sad for me to see him go because he was ridiculous. Some other interesting majors that we discovered in our laborious whatever our research.
Speaker 1: Arizona has a race track industry degree. Mississippi State has a floral management degree. Right, app State a fermentation sciences degree. Hell yeah, UNLV entertainment engineering. Yes, sense.
Speaker 2: The thing that's a bummer is I think at Texas A and M it's only a meat certificate you get, which would be great on the graphic that like speeding oil has a meat certificate. And I also want to say Georgia has a poultry sciences school.
Speaker 1: Would make sense that the ball State has a popular culture degree, which sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. Right, great job.
Speaker 2: Is that where Jason Whitlock went?
Speaker 1: I think it is. And then the only other one I have here that amused me was Duke has Canadian studies. Yeah, it's fine, it's fine. Watch some SCTV A little unusual. Yeah, Canadian studies, Duke acc.
Speaker 2: We're acceptable, all right, that's I think it's it's not going to pay dividends, but when it does no cash.
Speaker 1: I like it. All right, begasic.
Speaker 2: I need to make sure that I'm sitting down at least for a moment, oh before I have to stand up and do a demonstration.
Speaker 1: Ye, ladies and gentlemen, let's talk a little bit about late game James Franklin.
Speaker 2: Are there Penn Stators here?
Speaker 1: All right? I was afraid of clockmand it all counts. So James Franklin in his tenure at Penn State is fifteen and thirteen in games decided by one score.
Speaker 2: That is not the worst in the Big Ten. Nope, by any stretch. It's actually about middle of.
Speaker 1: The path Big Ten. Continue. It's the problem is.
Speaker 2: That he's three and twelve versus Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State.
Speaker 1: That's an issue.
Speaker 2: James Franklin is sort of known at this point among many Penn State fans and some college football fans who you know, happened to pay attention at the wrong time for.
Speaker 1: Just kind of overthinking it.
Speaker 2: Like I had a moment on our show years ago where I was doing an ad read for Blue Apron and the word was.
Speaker 1: Globe tomatoes, globe globe.
Speaker 2: Are you comparing James Franklin to somebody who might not be able to read?
Speaker 1: And you know the problem was I everthought it? Yeah, because I'm always like, you know, I feel a bit overwhelmed by you with your Hugh down noodles. Yeah, and I decided and said that the proper pronunciation was globe and nailed it. You did a great job, And you know, I just I never really lived that one down. I kind of got the.
Speaker 2: Yips when it came to pronouncing the word globe. We got emails asking if that was a bit, that was not a bit?
Speaker 1: No. And so here we are with James Franklin, where at the end of a game, it seems rather obvious to many of us watching at home what should occur, but instead he's playing in the Citrus Bowl, He's got three timeouts left and decides that he'd like to take all of them home with him in the offseason. Yeah, other very questionable decisions. So we went back, we actually reviewed the tape and if I could do a demonstration for there are two stages of late game James Franklin. That is like a safety demonstration. This is like a safety demonstration. So the first this is how you know this is this is when shit's getting real, right, we kind of have to crossed arms look like yep, yep. He's just staring longingly up at the scoreboard and maybe back at his assistant coaches or some of the other players.
Speaker 2: He's singing signs and co signs. He's trying to figure.
Speaker 1: Out Zachie Zach Allifanakis. Yeah. But then when he goes all this, the hands hit the hips.
Speaker 2: When the hands hit the hips, that is def con won.
Speaker 1: And that is what you need to worry if you're a Penn State fan about late game James Franklin losing again to a big game, a big team like Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State or Kentucky CUSA easy, Pete. It's a long debate, Pete. That's all I have to say about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, you will get points, but Penn State's gonna be pretty good, so it probably won't happen often, right, But again, it's like an unusual major when it does.
Speaker 1: When it does, it will happen twice this year. We're gonna get a lot. Joe Runner is two and a half late game James situations throughout the course of the twenty nineteen Sei the hip holes, I look for the heads.
Speaker 2: I'm serious. I went back and looked the hip hold the hip holes. That's when you know it's getting real, all right.
Speaker 1: The pick is in. This is also my pick. Yes, and I decided to go with a crowd favorite. Let's talk a little bit about postgame handshake tension.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a conversation we need to have. It's mostly about Michigan's coach.
Speaker 1: We did, again, a fair amount of research on this, and you're right, Jew Harbaugh has been in a lot of these situations.
Speaker 2: It's like Forrest Gumm finding himself a different points of history background.
Speaker 1: Who did he run after Jim Schwartz? Yes, he ran.
Speaker 2: No, Jim Schwartz ran after him. Oh that's not fair.
Speaker 1: That was ugly. You have the Pete Carroll thing, what's your deal? What's your deal? Real?
Speaker 2: It was a jerk star comeback Jim.
Speaker 1: Harbaugh on that one. What's your deal?
Speaker 2: And he ran away from Dan Mullen in the Peach Bowl, which didn't happen Jane did not happen. But no, they're they're like we had Gary Patterson and our brills, they were very upset at each other.
Speaker 1: We have these these tense moments.
Speaker 2: You have printed out a list of coaches that you think run the hottest right now that are most likely to be involved.
Speaker 1: I was saying, we could pull the room a little bit on, like, okay, four or five of these guys. Okay, all right, so just give a round of applause if you think this guy runs hot enough to maybe conjure up some sort of tension, manufactured tension because of like a penalty here Tom Herman, I think it's gonna do off. I think Tom Herman has a lot of passive aggressiveness in him that we just we don't always see. Yeah, you know, like as opposed to gust Malson, who just buries it to dawn air. But did you pard of the like Ned Flanders before, Yes, the episode of Simpsons when Ned Flanders kept bearing it then it all came out. Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Well, we know Tom Herman doesn't have aggressive aggressiveness because we saw him try to.
Speaker 1: Demolish a locker and it didn't go well. No, it didn't go well. Now, I think Tom Herman is a candidate for this. I think PJ. Fleck has a real opportunity to Yeah, PJ Fleck, you know, high motor, say high motor, throw the boat, trying to build Minnesota up into something. Could be a tricky team in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tie not a little tight, Yeah yeah, a little Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's got the huge tin of huge thing is gigantic. Yeah, but he seems like the kind of guy who might take something the wrong way, decide that he's just going to pull a Buddy Ryan and run straight to the straight to the tunnel. Yeap? Who else here?
Speaker 2: Herm Edwards wild card?
Speaker 1: Wild card?
Speaker 2: They're not they're not super into it. It seems as her Edwards being running hot because he wants to talk. Yeah, Herm Edwards wants to talk. He wants to get to the core and find out about the person. He's a Catholic, as we were told when he learned that Arizona State was the sun Devils, the Devil's digest.
Speaker 1: He wants to talk it out.
Speaker 2: Will mush Champ, Yes, obviously, Will much Champ I think is yeah, he's thought about this more than once. Oh, absolutely, he'll rip off his shirt at the middle of the field. Yeah, but no, ed Orgron's the next one on that shirt. The problem with that Osron, he's gonna get really upset. When he gets upset, he starts warbling and gurbling, and the other coach isn't going to know how to respond. The other coach will leave because he's afraid of it. Or yeah, it'll be like a passive handshakes yep, postgame handshake tension.
Speaker 1: What is it? What are the options? Though?
Speaker 2: If you are up, you're clearly upset each other. Somebody's running up the score and calling a time out to put him another you know, uh to score again. Whatever the what are your options? If you are greeting each other one you.
Speaker 1: Can run away, that's the full buddy, Ryan.
Speaker 2: You can get you can get to each other's faces, but you're not gonna be able to articulate everything because it's real quick and separate, right.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna be a lot of like fuck you, fuck me, fuck you.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a lot of that because we're talking about coaches and that's as far as it goes generally. Or you're gonna get the what's your deal? And then Jim Harbaugh lightning on his feet, what's your deal? There are limited options, but I think those are good. And don't forget on the FCS level, we still have Bo Polini.
Speaker 1: Just floating in the ether ever the free agent in this category. Yes, it's always willing to perform. Yeah, I think we're gonna get a couple again. When it hits, it hits. All right, where are we going next year? Jam? All right? Next?
Speaker 2: So we've had, Yes, we've had a couple of pretty big hires. Coaches who are coordinators in the SEC go other places Oregon, Colorado Open, sort of the more recent ones. There's something about an SEC mentality at a non SEC school. Again, it's like swag. What's an SEC mentality?
Speaker 1: Nobody knows.
Speaker 2: It's having generally really good players more than the other teams. As far as I can tell, though, Eugene's not gonna have an SEC mentality.
Speaker 1: I've been there.
Speaker 2: Boulder is not gonna have an SEC mentality.
Speaker 1: I've been there.
Speaker 2: An SEC mentality involves railroading a referee who calls your basketball game not great and ruining his life in business, tailgating on train tracks, tailgating next to a nuclear power plant, hearing that your coach has a thirty six million dollar buyout and saying, all right, what what when you get mad?
Speaker 1: You paint a rock.
Speaker 2: That's a real thing at Tennessee, Lane Kiffin leeds, We're gonna sho him.
Speaker 1: We're gonna paint a rock. I just don't see these things happening. Ty, you wanna kill a bunch of trees? Yeah, they kill trees. I know or how to do it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, roll Tide, you yell Roll Tide like it's World Star. It makes no sense at any point. I just don't see it happening the sec mentality anywhere else.
Speaker 1: This is a very close cousin of another name that named another item we had in our list. Coach comes in and wants to be more physical, yes, like out of Color, does not want to be a little more physical, right like it just it always happens. We had one a couple of years ago. New defensive coordinator wants to approach the game with a more attacking, aggressive mentality. These are all kind of in the same genus generally speaking. Yeah, so I like this one a lot. I think you're I think you're in line for some points. Here. I think I'm feeling very good about this. Are we ready for?
Speaker 2: This is my pick once again?
Speaker 1: This is again your pick. Yes, I think this rounds out my roster. The pick is in. This is your last pick, a big one.
Speaker 2: Les Miles is one of five coaches who has won.
Speaker 1: A national chance. Job.
Speaker 2: If at any point anybody says this and the other person in the broadcast booth doesn't start with a sentence with okay, but.
Speaker 1: Okay, but.
Speaker 2: Then they should be fired on the spot. Les Miles has won a national championship. He's one of five who have won the national champions You know who the five are, So it's jimbo obviously, the first person you think of college football championship head coach. Obviously, Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney.
Speaker 1: The fifth is tricky. Some would say old dog new tricks. Some of day old dog new tricks. It's Mac Brown is the fifth, which is insane.
Speaker 2: We're in such a bad place as a sport that Mac Brown and Less Miles are in an impressive group of people.
Speaker 1: What I like about this one is that again, announcers have a lot of time to kill when they're up there in the booth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and somebody on like the Z team is going to have to do Kansas schemes. No disrespect to the one Kansas fan who listened at emailed he was very angry about our preview. Yeah, he was sorry about that, dude, really sorry, Hey, okay, not really. And I quote, why didn't you talk about Kansas, Kansas having the best secondary in the Big twelve?
Speaker 1: Kansas? And I looked it up. Kansas had the worse secondary in the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: So if you're wondering if college football is an uncurable disease, we got an email from a Kansas fan asking why we weren't more optimistic about Kansas.
Speaker 1: But what I like about this is because announcers going to find himself in some black hole, the pregnant pause, the whole fluty thing. Yeah, and he's going to start talking about how you know, less Miles coming to Lawrence gives instant credibility to a Kansas football team program that has lost I'm not kidding ninety games in eight years.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: That's a boot that is three times the amount that Urban Meyer has lost in his entire collegiate coaching career eight years, nine or more losses every year since twenty ten so I know everybody's just like everyone's hearing this.
Speaker 2: But with Virgineers, I love it, but it's they've been really bad for quite some time.
Speaker 1: Over the room. It's like, boo, yeah, you brought it all down.
Speaker 2: So the thing with Kansas is to you, if you were going to subscribe to the Mountain Gladwell ten thousand hours rule, is Kansas or is it Rutgers? Who's closer to becoming a losing expert?
Speaker 1: I feel like it's Rutgers. It has to be Rutgers. Yeah, the lows have been lower. I feel like it's been right. It's got to be Rutgers. I think it's Rutgers.
Speaker 2: So congratulations Kansas. We're not Rutgers.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I like about this is, you know Winter Lose. It's like the old Winter Lose became for the booze. Thing with you like this is this could represent less his belief of glory right, Like it's probably a Swan song. This is probably not a long term thing at Kansas. If nothing else, there'll be at least a couple interesting things that fall out of the Jayhawks football program this year. And that's okay. It's okay. As college football fans.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that last was really enthusiastic about getting back into coaching. Interviewed at a couple of group of five schools, and the reports were it didn't go super well, We're not hiring them. And then Kansas stands up and says, how what. Okay, that's last miles in Kansas right now, all right, our last pick of the evening. I want to have a serious discussion here, folks.
Speaker 1: Pregnant pause. I want to talk about Midfield logo desecration. Yeah, it's not Michigan centric. I love it.
Speaker 2: Was that your James Frank Okay, did I sell it? I'm just doing it for this side of the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there was an issue, a moment, an issue whatever where Devin Bush from Michigan.
Speaker 1: Bank Yeah, oh yeah, decided to take some matters into his own hands and go on out and just take his heel, his big old boot to the Michigan State Spartan logo at Midfield. We watched the video backstage about eight times. It kind of never gets old. At one point, his his earphones fall off and then he just stop him, no, no, no. Then he decides like he's just ready to go coaches have to hold him back like he was fired up for that game against Little Brother. Yes, there was also a situation with I believe Baker Mayfield a.
Speaker 2: Baker Mayfield, a little bit of Baker Mayfield to him.
Speaker 1: Baker Mayfield decided that he was going to have some fun with the midfield logo. Our issue with this, and you brought up a very point there are a lot of schools now that just have field turf. Yeah, it's more difficult. And so if you want to go out there and destroy the midfield logo, like you really gotta want it, you have to try. You will really hurt the turf in this game.
Speaker 2: And the really good part of this story, Michigan State does not have field turf. They have natural grass.
Speaker 1: And we looked it up. Michigan State has.
Speaker 2: An award winning field like the Turf Association two years running, folks. They are one of four schools in America that has won Turf of the Year twice.
Speaker 1: That's what Devin Bush did to it.
Speaker 2: He treated it like the spotted owl and dumb and dumber. This beautiful, pristine, award winning turf Devin Bush desecrated, not unlike what Baker Mayfield did with the flag at Ohio State.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if this is gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Half the stuff on here probably won't happen, right, But when it does, I want to be the one money waiting for it to fall at the back of the truck. Yeah, So there you go. So all right, let's see what we got here and see our final These are good teams, these are solid teams. So go through your roster real quick. I've got do you have Trevy up there? Yeah, I'm work shopping at.
Speaker 1: Trevor Lawrence as the already the first pick in the twenty twenty one NFL draft. Tiny field demos, which I love. Mike Loxley knows the DMV. I'm so jealous of tiny field demos. Let it be known. Does that say near win Jim mear win Jim for James Franklin. Yeah. Again, the Penn State contention.
Speaker 2: Is digging it, headshake, snubbing, and midfield desecration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yours. Oh, I have to turn all the way around. Okay.
Speaker 2: So we've got the Secretary of swagger culture, Manny Diaz. That's a mouthful. We've got transfer portal girl, We've got off season motivation, and usual major the sec mentality girl and then let's is elites with a giant asterisk and then the asterisk underneath it says eh. And so we have yet another Todd McShay mel kiper in the audience. So from NBC Sports Network, please welcome Tim Murray.
Speaker 1: Where's him? Where's him? Where is it?
Speaker 2: He's all dressed up, folks, he is swearing his finest clip flops. Go on. Okay, so we have complete rosters that need evaluation. You can watch him on It's The Daily Line, The Daily Line, Yes, new show. Yeah, he sort of looks like Scott van Pelt right now I have hair, yeah, but he has hair pretty great and a lot less money.
Speaker 1: Yes. So if you're betting you do a show called The Daily Line, I do.
Speaker 2: If you're betting on any of these to occur more frequently than any of the others, which one are you picking?
Speaker 1: I'll just say this tide.
Speaker 2: Did you know that Mike Locksley's new coach is former Tamatha.
Speaker 1: Head coach whoa v gmv D M.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll definitely mention in Marilyn Howard when it's like thirty five, Yeah, Howard's gonna be up that big.
Speaker 1: Again Taylor. I'm sorry it hurt. Taylor's left. You don't know where he's gone. Can I make a caveat? Can I? Can? I? Can I better your number one overall? Picked? Sure? WHOA?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: How many times on F S one or ESPN are they going to say, should Tyler Trevor Lawrence sit out next year? On my sheet? That needs to be added? If that counts, then you win.
Speaker 2: It counts, then you win, because that's gonna be the whole off season.
Speaker 1: Because what happens inevitably once the NFL types get there, get their claws on Trevor Trevor Lawrence. If you numb one, he would have been plus. It becomes that age old argument because we've seen it happen with guys sitting out Bowl games and like, does Saquon Barkley really want to risk injury that sort of thing. Trevor Lawrence is another year, Trevor Larns is two years left. It would be masterful if we heard it this year. I would saybe he should just quit now and just like go to NFL Europe? Is that still a thing? There's arena football. I was in Miami.
Speaker 2: As people know, Miami has a great sport contention. Sure, And I'm listening to Dolphin fans and they're like, well, you know, Trevor Lawrence, those open and I don't know whether or not to interject into people's bar room conversation. And I just leaned over and go, he's got two years of village, but he's got to go to college for two more years. And I just leaned back in and they're like, damn Dolphin fans. Otherwise otherwise was Nick right?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 2: The lebron apologist Bill Snyder's apology has retired, so the transfer portal ger goes down, It does a little bit, but Pat Fitzgerald came through in the clutch.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Smartphones, man, smartphones or you guys just you know, don't have fans.
Speaker 1: The less is Elite is tremendous. Thank you. I will give that to Dan. I want to give it to you. I want to the tiny field demo.
Speaker 2: Can we also add in how many times Reggie Bush and Matt Lioner we'll talk to Brady Quinn about five Notre Dame UIs, Yeah, it will happen.
Speaker 1: All the time every show, Like I always feel like as a Notre Dame fan, it is a college football you don't need to be a Notre Dame fan. I always feel like there is like an unspoken tension there. It's very weird for me to watch all of those guys on the same field interacting and like acting friendly field because yeah, fie field, because it just seems like they should be sworn enemies. There should be a boo.
Speaker 2: Was there?
Speaker 1: I was there too? Oh? Yeah, thank you? I do want to know Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is the Arizona forty four to fifteen win playing in Oregon's locker room right now for officers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you lost to Arizona by twenty nine points. I didn't lose.
Speaker 2: I just is that the Notre Dame fans out there does tie, just concedes too much.
Speaker 1: You need to fight back with the Notre Dame jabs. Yeah, they lost.
Speaker 2: They lost to Arizona by more points than Notre Dame lost at Clemson. Remember that this is twenty four to fifteen and Khalil Tait was hurt.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't great. It wasn't great. Let's just review Notre Dame playoff touchdowns, top three, top four, top five, let's whatever.
Speaker 1: You want to review the health rich era or we want to.
Speaker 2: He was. He went to the playoff in Florida, touchdow. Okay, do you have any other I uh, I would give a it's okay, Notre Dame is subhealth Ridge.
Speaker 1: It happens we didn't lose to Arizona by twenty nine. No, I would give a slight lean to Dan's rocks.
Speaker 2: I think the last pick the less miles, because you know, every game when Kansas is down by thirty five, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, yeah he won. He has a rink, he wears his hands and who was the who's the rapper? He got to come to Springfest or whatever? The spring game? Ye, yeah, yeah, it was snoop. It was a snoop. Yeah, so you got that. No, it was it was some more recent Yeah, brick bro, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I was. I was.
Speaker 1: I was desperately trying to find a way to talk about all the makeup he wore in that Capital one commercially.
Speaker 2: But my favorite, and it's going to give you an early lead, was the weather Demonstration because you know, for the first three weeks, yeah, you're picking Texas. That's going to give you a massive lead, and then you never go back to weather in like late September through the rest of the year. It's just an early lead. I'll take the early lead. I'll take the early lead. So show of applause. If you are on ties team roster wise, they really kept that going.
Speaker 1: They like that was sustained.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, And if you're on my team ross, it's about even.
Speaker 1: But I give a deal. It's Mega Taylor time. Okay, I'm the Trevor Lawrence. If it includes the sitting out a year, that's a whole off season of a lot. That's a lot. But it's just it's just the season. It's just I have I have a very bad tendency of picking things two years before they happened. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did the Mike Gundy hair thing, like before he grew the mullet. How could I possibly know? He's like, really, he's gonna grow a mullet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he grew a freaking mullet a year after I picked the hair thing, and I was kicking myself for So what are you gonna be a year ahead on here? It could be the Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Trevor Lawrence, Trevor Lawrence, that's just gonna be all you know, Trevor Lawrence would.
Speaker 1: Sit and if Mike Loxley ends up, you know, maybe surprising. If you teams this year at Maryland.
Speaker 2: I think you'd say it surprisingly grows hair. That would be great, that would be I would get points for that, dude, you do.
Speaker 1: But if that ends up happening, that's something that I could see.
Speaker 2: I think you have higher potential. I think I think there's a little more consistency with mine. I like it. Okay, so, ladies and gentlemen, Tim Murray slash Meltkuiper slash Top McShay.
Speaker 1: So those are picks. The show's not over though, so at this point. So there you have it. Dallas DC sellout crowds in both spots. Thank you to everyone who came out to see us live and to all of you listening at home. The college football season is finally here and we are excited to share it with you. Until next time, stay solid,