Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Right with Me? Great episode three oh six, A ton to do today? Demand in Los Angeles, me here in New York. By the way, for people watching on YouTube, we have sent off to the framers more things for our background, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks the background will get filled up a little bit more. You also might in the background, see like, are those a couple of microphones far in the distance? They are? That's for the podcast we're developing. That'll be me and a different member of the family when in studio here, and by studio I mean Demand's old bedroom so and so, which is our new podcast studio. So that'll be so that'll be coming in short order. We have the setup for that here. Demanse, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great this morning. How you doing, Pops?
Speaker 1: You sound great? Wow? Yeah, I don't know what's change with your microphone or maybe in a late stage final puberty. You sound like even deeper points than usual. But you said, I'm bro Let's get right to it. So here's what missed the cut. The Cavs clinched the playoffs last night. That missed the cut Max Crosby getting thirty five and a half million dollars per year that missed the cut, and James Harden with his first fifty point game as a Clipper. Also, it's now I think the third time in his career he has had a game with fifteen points on twos, fifteen points on threes, fifteen points on three throws, and a few other you know, random stats where he's the only guy to ever do that. I was going to start the show on around the Horn, and we are gonna get to around the Horn in just a moment. But first I just a little a little point of order, because I did notice yesterday that there have been some folks friends of mine that, you know, bowing out is one way to put it, Waving the white flag is another way to put it. Who are like, you know what this Jordan Lebron debate, let's retire it. And usually, in my experience, people that are that have been very ardent and adamant about something for years and years and years and they just seemingly out of the blue be like, I don't want to argue about this anymore. Usually it means they have a lose they know they have a losing hand. Very rarely are people right when they're about to win an argument, be like, you know what, let's just shake hands and move on. So that's fine. I've always said history is gonna look fondly on the correct side of the argument, which is mine. But the point of order that I must address, which is even the folks who argue that Lebron is the goat, far too many of them say and Jordan had the higher peak, just like as a given. But and then they do a whole thing, but the you know, Lebron's longevity in this and that, and the third we did a whole show on this once before, so we don't have to do a whole show where he kind of broke it down different slices. But I just want to remind the audience in America the single greatest season of professional basketball ever played by any player was the twenty twelve twenty thirteen Lebron James Miami Heat season. No player has ever reached a higher peak than the following one vote for being unanimous MVP when no one had ever been unanimous MVP runner up and Defensive Player of the Year when the guy who beat him in Defensive Player of the Year wasn't even first team All defense, shooting fifty seven percent from the floor and forty percent from three, a twenty seven game winning streak. It's all culminating in a Game seven of the Finals, where he hit the game clinching jump shot for thirty seven and twelve against a team with four future first Ballot Hall of Famers. That season is the greatest single season start to finish any players ever had. So it's not just the longevity side of it, it's the peak side of it as well. Now we can move on to the actual show. Go ahead, all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, after twenty three years and over forty nine hundred episodes Around the Horn espns, Around the Horn has coming to a halt May twenty third, what are your thoughts on it ending and what did the show mean to you?
Speaker 1: All right? So I can't speak to why it's ending. It doesn't really make sense to me. But I don't I don't know, you know, I can't look at their books. I don't know what their plans are. They can do whatever whatever they want. I do want to say, as someone who has not ever been bashful about criticizing either shows or personalities or opinions, really more opinions than people that I disagree with that. I do not think it is an exaggeration to say for me personally, Around the Horn was the single most important sports show that ever existed. And for me personally, I know I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now on television if not for Around the Horn. For I'm forty years old. For people my generation, the combo in our teen years of PTI coming on the air, and then Around the Horn coming on after being our for so many of us, the first shows we ever DVRD being daily after school viewing, and then Around the Horn for those of us who were getting into the business being seemingly an attainable goal of like, man, one day I'm going to be on Around the Horn and having that be a carrot of if I work hard enough, if I can make myself a name within my city big enough, man, maybe just maybe I can get on Around the Horn. And it was a show for writers, initially exclusively, and then it expanded a bit, and then I saw Bomani Jones on there, and I understand BALMANI was a writer as well as other things, but I didn't view Bimani as a writer. I viewed Bomani as a radio host. He hosted The Morning Jones on Sirius XM, and that's before Bamani was one of my dearest friends in the world. He was a guy who I knew of his radio show, I knew of his Twitter presence, and I knew of him on Around the Horn. And once Bomani got on Around the Horn, I was like, I'm gonna I I need to get on that show. I'm going to work to get on that show. And in Houston, I kind of talked my way into a It wasn't even a part time job, just an occasional appearance gig on Comcast Sports at Houston. And the reason I did it was to create a television reel to try to get on Around the Horn. And that shows ability to give people reps on TV, opportunities to do TV and what it has done for people in our industry's careers is unlike any other show that I think has ever existed. And the fact that along the way post Max Kell and I have so many I will I'm gonna spend real time on this. My connections to Around the Horn without ever being on it is It's remarkable when I look back and think on it, so I'll tell those stories in a moment, but post Max Kellerman, who did a great job with it, and then Reality takes it over, and Tony Reality, who at one day I'll meet him, but I've never met him. Tony Reality's ability from when he was a kid taking over that show and kind of being the conscience of that show and the through line of the show is one of the most impressive broadcasting feats in our industry ever. And I Reality would tweet out texts he would send people saying like, you know that it was gonna be their first time, you know you're gonna invite someone on a show, first time on the show, and all that stuff. And there was a period of time where I thought I might be getting an invite this nine years ago, and Reality tweeted getting ready to inte something. I'm gonna misquote it a bit, but you know, getting ready to send out an invite to someone who's never been on a show, and then described the person, and I convinced myself it was me he was talking about, and I was just waiting. I remember I was in an airport and I was so nervous. I'm like, I'm gonna be on the plane and I might not get the text. And then I got on the plane, no service, get off the plane, turn my phone back on. Don't have the text, and I checked and see it was like, oh man, it wasn't me. And I just it was such a goal and a valuable thing. And I'm sad it's gonna be gone. And when I say my connections to it, demanse, the through lines of this are truly gonna blow your mind. Okay, so I already mentioned Kellerman was the original host. Kellerman I interned at ESPN Radio twenty years ago in New York. ESPN Radio, New York, and Kellerman was one of the guys I interned for. But that wasn't a real connection. I mean, I knew him and he was super nice to me, but that wasn't the connection. The connection is the following. Okay, it's thirteen years ago. I set up a meeting. I'm gonna go to New York. I'm doing radio in Houston. I'm gonna fly to New York and I'm gonna meet with two people. One is Eric Rideholme, who created Around the Horn, and the other is Jamie Horowitz, who was a big wig at ESPN kind of on the TV show side first take. He then ended up being well, I'll get to the Jamie piece of it in a minute, and I'm gonna go meet with those people and sell them on. Let me have a shot on this show. Let me have a shot on Around the Horn. And I fly into New York on my own dime. And when I land, I check my email and my meeting with Jamie has been canceled because he got called into Bristol. And I now have a meeting with someone else who I don't really know who he is, but when I see the name, I'm like, oh, I recognize this name. I've heard this guy on Bill Simmons podcast and he's a different executive at ESPN, And so I have about I have a night before that. I flew in it like I don't know, Tuesday night. The meetings are Wednesday morning. I'm gonna meet in with this meet with this guy who's not Jamie, and then I'm gonna meet with ride home and I prep and I listen to all these podcasts that this guy's been on and I walk into his office and I pitch and I know his story and the guy at the end of it of my Pitch is like all right, yeah, I mean that's that's interesting, but you know, like I have nothing to do with that show, right, I was like, damn, that person was Kevin Wilds. That's a true story. I then I'm like, well, this meeting went just terribly, Like this guy thinks I'm a fool and I'm wasting his time and he's he's working on the Olberman show. Like that went terribly. I didn't meet with ride Home, who is one of the kindest, most brilliant people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing in the kind of dining area of the Whole Foods in Columbus Circle. And I I'm going to see if I can pull this up the email bring manilla envelopes, So this one I did not, So I have the I didn't do theanilla envelope thing. But let me see the I want to spell his name right in the email. See if I can find the email. But I see, so I can get the exact date. So the first date, Okay, so this is we met in November of thirteen. In November of thirteen is when we met, and when I went to New York, and so this is twelve years ago, like I thought. And so the meeting went really well with ride home, but he was like, listen, we do have you know, you're not a writer essentially, but that doesn't the door is not closed to you. So I kind of pitched him my pitch to ride home if I remember, In fact, I'll just tell you, guys, I do remember. I don't want to act like I'm not sure I do remember. My pitch to ride home was this they had at that point on around the Horn kind of old journalists and then the new wave young journalists who they brought on. And the old journalists were almost all white guys and all and the vast majority of the new way the newer guys they had brought on were minorities and women, and so I what I said to him was, I was like, what, as an audience member, very often you are having disagreements that I think break down on generational levels, but appear to be breaking down on either racial or gender angles. Because all the old guys are white males, and almost all the young people are, you know, either women or non white guys. I was like, so you you Basically my pitch was you need an older black panelist and a younger white panelist to see like, wait, is this a generational disagreement or a cultural racial whatever it was? And he was perceptive, but I wasn't a writer. And so that was in thirteen. Fast forward to a couple years later, Jamie gets hired from ESPN and some other places to run FS one and I called in the chit of he had canceled that meeting on me to get a meeting with him that was actually supposed to be about Fox Sports Radio. That's a whole nother, longer, more convoluted story, doesn't matter, And I ended up getting it because the around the because he had canceled on me before. He then connected me to a guy named Charlie Dixon, who I ended up hitting it off with, and then they those two guys hired me for FS one, and to this date, Charlie's my boss. In the midst of all of it. In the midst of all of that, right before I agreed to a deal with Fox, ESPN came back to me. This is in twenty sixteen. January twenty sixteen, ESPN came back to me and offered me a job doing radio in LA and weekly Around the Horn appearances and the moment they offered me that, I was like, well, I'm taking that job I want. I'm a radio guy and I'm gonna get to be on Around the Horn. And then Charlie, to his credit, called me and in a thirty minute conversation sold me on why I should come to Fox, and it ended up being the best decision I ever made. I wouldn't have had this trajectory or whatever. And my only like wistfulness of it was, man, if I do this, I'll probably never get to be on around the Horn. And now you know, now officially I won't. And that's fine. I have there's no no regrets. But that show meant a lot to me. So I know, listen, that's twenty minutes of today's show. I don't know how much the audience cares. I hope they care. I care, and just shout out to the people who made that show to ride Home and Solomon and Reality and Reality Pardon Me and the countless panelists and all of it.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, the question was what does it mean to you? I think you did a good job at makes sense?
Speaker 1: I mean, no, I know, I certainly a The question that my question was, does the audience give a shit about my answer to the question I have to do. But uh but yeah, so there it is, all right, let's do uh the actual sports stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we got Knicks Lakers tonight, Lakers. They are seventeen and three over their last twenty. Cat missed the last game they lost to Golden State, but he should be back, which is gonna be good for them. They're zero to eight against Boston, Cleveland, Oklahoma City and the Lakers, so tonight with Kat should be a good test for them. You said that they're going in the wrong direction though, What's what's going on?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just don't think. I don't think the Knicks can beat the best teams in basketball. And they were they were built in a way where they're supposed to be able to beat the best teams in basketball. That's the problem. You don't go you don't go out and spend this type of money on trade for Karl Anthony Towns not the money thing, and trade for McHale Bridges to be in the same spot the Knicks are supposed to be having this season, the Cabs are having, maybe not the gaudy record, but like, oh man, they really might be able to beat the selfish Yes, exactly right, and instead they just get their teeth kicked in by good teams. Now, it is usually in moments like this that you get you know, the league zags a bit, where this is the when everyone is super high on the Lakers right now and way low on the Knicks against good teams, the type of game you're not that shocked if the Knicks win tonight, and I wouldn't be that shocked if the Knicks win tonight the Lakers and will get more on the Lakers in a minute. The Lakers can't stay this hot. I mean they're on. I mean they're on a seventy win pace for the last quarter of the season. I mean that's well. I think that their defense can be really good. They have the number one Let me rephrase that. I think their defense can be good. Their defense during this stretch has been great. I think that is probably Yeah. I think that water will find its level a bit there. But I just don't to me, there are six teams that can win the title demonse six and this is not in the order, but in the East Boston, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and in the West, the Lakers, the thun and Denver and to it is you put those teams into two separate buckets, Boston Cleveland. Oksee, you put in the outstanding rosters eight deep. You know, like that are going to be able to play a bunch of different ways, in a bunch of different you know it, styles, all of it. And then Lakers, Bucks Nuggets you put in the star driven Well, yeah, I mean you're probably just gonna have the best player on the floor. And it was you know for what, Jokic, It's it's you have this transcendent superstar and then an awesome number two. So the reason Milwaukee is back in that group is Dame is playing like an awesome number or two. The reason Denver is back in that group is Jamal Murray now that he's in shape, is playing like an awesome number two. And the reason the Lakers are back in that group is because man, oh Man Luke is a hell of a number two. I'm kidding, no, yeah no, Because now that the Lakers are in a position where Lebron in a playoff series can be their second best player, they're they're wildly dangerous, wildly dangerous, and I am in shout out to Sam Amic for writing an article owning it. I'm really curious what Barkley's gonna say tonight. I am shocked that there were a lot of folks who thought Lebron wouldn't be able to instantly adjust how he plays. The idea like, this is what I want to say about Lebron, and then Demon's say, I do want to do? We skipped it. But the Steph and the Goat conversation. The there the amount of people who act like Lebron plays for lack of a better term, a selfish style of basketball in the face of twenty years of history, was really odd to me. And by that I mean this the idea that Lebron has played at times kind of the heliocentric I need to control everything style in service of his ego as opposed to in service of this is the best way to win. I thought it was odd that folks were like, well, Lebron doesn't play without the ball in his hands. He hasn't except for a couple years in Miami, really had the opportunity to play without the ball in his hands because he's never had a teammate where the team has a better chance of creating great offense, running the show that gives them a better chance than with them running the show rather than Lebron. Lebron is a guy who I think it's pretty clear could have in his prime won the scoring title any year he wanted to, and instead he won one. Ever why because he was doing what would have been best for the team when they get Luca. What's best for the team is for Luca to be running the show a lot, and Lebron instantly did that, of course, and also to me, not surprisingly, now that Lebron doesn't have to run the show on offense, he has more energy on defense. So the Lakers are a top tier contender. And JJ Reddick has done and I gotta give him credit, man, he has done an awesome job. They are buttoned up, they are prepared. He is grinding his ass off and they It is been really impressive watching him and watching them. They've been without Reeves and Ruey and they're doing this. So I'm super excited for Nicks Lakers tonight. There is a chance I do a live reaction pod after the game, like for like twenty minutes. The problem with that is that was my plan, and then I think think when I made that plan, I was in New Zealand, and I had the time of the game all screwed up because it was showing me the time in New Zealand, and I didn't do the math right. That game's gonna end. That game's gonna end around one am Eastern. So like I so I so I'm not. It's less about me. I'm always if I stay up to watch a big game, I always have trouble going to sleep. So it's less about like me falling, like needing to go right to bed. It's more about two things. One is I don't know how to do any of the tech stuff, so somebody's got to be up on the other end doing that. And the other one is this I'm quite loud and me doing this pod at one am in a sleeping house, and you know the geography of the house, demons a sleeping right next to a window. It's all no, but it's all like our neighbors. So so it's maybe I'll do a live reaction show. I'm not sure. All right, let's talk Steph for a minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Shaq said that Steph deserves to be in the goat conversation.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's a right take to have?
Speaker 1: Sadly no, So let's talk best point guard ever. We've done this before, I'll do it again just quickly here. Magic Johnson, I believe this in my bones, is the greatest point guard in NBA history. And Magic Johnson. It's not only that as a rookie one Finals MVP, now we shouldn't have Kareem should have won it, but had one of the single greatest finals games ever playing center, just being utterly dominant to win a championship as a rookie right after winning a championship in college. If people don't know what I'm talking about, the Kareem was out so magic jump center as a rookie against Doctor J and the Sixers and dropped forty two, fifteen and seven to win a championship in the finals. That almost gets talked about too much. And what doesn't get talked about enough, in my opinion, is this demons. In year three, Magic Johnson was second team All NBA, and then after that he played nine more seasons before the HIV diagnosis and was first team All NBA all nine seasons. Those nine seasons after year three, his MVP finishes were third second hold sorry third third, second, third, first, third, first, first, second, So again, years four to twelve for Magic, nine consecutive first team all NBA's nine consecutive top three MVP finishes, three league MVPs, went to nine finals, won five championships. He's the greatest point guard ever. With that said, every time I'm putting together my all time starting five, STEP's the better option at point guard than Magic. So I know that sounds weird, but whenever it's like, Okay, create the greatest team you can possibly create, I'm like, all right, So the only two locks, even with respect to Kareem, the only two locks are Michael and Lebron. Those guys are the locks. And now we're figuring out the rest of the squad. And so I go, So Lebron's there, he can bring the ball up. I you know, Michael couldn't shoot a three to save his life, so I probably need some more shooting. Defensively, I'm going to be a monster anyway, So I'll put Steph in in place of Magic. So that's where the best point guard conversation, you know, gets off to a rough start, or not a rough start, but it gets complicated. But as far as best player of all time, there's a I mean, I just told you, Magic has nine First Team All NBAS. The guys who are actually in the discussion for greatest player of all time, Lebron, Michael, and Kareem, they have as far as first team All NBAS thirteen for Lebron, ten for Kareem, ten for Michael. Some people throw Kobe in there. I don't think that's legit, but that that's fine. He has eleven. Steph has four. So he doesn't have the the great season after great season after great season all these other guys did. Here's the other thing that he doesn't have. And again I'm not tearing him down, but this if everyone who is actually in the goat debate, which I think is only three people, but other people might want to expand it to a couple others. And even if you expand it to them, if you include Magic, if you include Wilt or Russell, like pick whomever, they all had an extended period where they were unequivocally, undeniably the best player in the league. Steph doesn't have one. Step doesn't have one season. Now that's again it's like, well, it's his whole career is during Lebron's career. I get it, But that so you just so you can't be in the goat conversation when and you can be like, what about the Yearie won unanimous MVP. Yeah, he was going to be considered the best player in the league and then the finals happened, and so like, there is just not been so a spot. I'm not tearing him down. You guys know how highly I think of him as a player. He is arguable the greatest shooter ever. He might be the greatest ball handler ever. He's one of the greatest teammates ever. That yeah, but he.
Speaker 2: Is the best off ball players I know.
Speaker 3: That's not like the exactly the best, the best actually probably one of the best off ball players.
Speaker 2: In NBA history, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe the maybe the best. Yes, no, all those things really matter, I find to me, Uh, nobody wants to have this debate. But an interesting one is him versus Duncan, Like it is, it's hard to do, like putting up Steph's career versus Duncan, and Steph's career versus Kobe, and Steph's career versus Shack are all really interesting because those are four so different players, just you know, so such drastically different players, different styles, different career arcs like those, to me are real debates, But Steph versus Lebron, Michael and Kareem are not. She's not and that's fine, that's not a It was also weird timing to have this discussion, Like Steph was having a down year and the Warriors were twenty five and twenty five, and they traded for Jimmy and they're, you know, on the uptick, and Steph is playing some of his best basketball of the year. But this isn't like some magical Steph Curry season. He's not. He has no shot of being first team All NBA this year. He is. I remember when they traded for Jimmy, he had as many games with fifteen or fewer points as he had thirty plus points. Like, he's averaging the fewest points he's averaged in a season since his first MVP, so in a decade, and he's averaging below forty from three for just the second time of his career. So again, I'm not. He's all all that's true, While it's also true is he having the greatest old little guy season ever? So all those things can be true at the same time, But goat conversation now, we're now we're getting a little cuckoo. He might show up, however, in our DraftKings player prop Who's scoring big in the NBA this season? You are with all the new ways to get in on the action at DraftKings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA for monster Slams, Dish in the Rock, Clean and Glass. Get behind your favorite players and the prop bets you can make at DraftKings, the home of NBA player props. Get ready to place your first bet. Try betting something on something simple like picking how many points your favorite player will have. Go to DraftKings sports Book app and make your pick. Tuesday, I gave you two great picks. Karl Anthony Towns because he wanted to go after Drama because Draymond talked trash we said is over. And Austin Reeves because he's coming off an injury, we said is under well. Carly the Towns didn't play for personal reasons. My Austin Reeves injury handicapping was so spot on he didn't play either. So no action on either of the ones I gave you is one of the issues with giving these out twelve hours for the games that's fine. Today I'm looking at steph Over twenty five and a half. Why play in Brooklyn? Score on them, even though Brooklyn's playing better and all this goat talk lately, STEP's got to put on a show. And I'm going back to the well. Austin Reeves should be playing tonight. I'm going under eighteen and a half. He's coming off an injury, probably on a minute's restriction. So steph Over twenty five and a half, Austin Reeves under eighteen and a half. Lines and odds subject to change first time. Here's something special just for you new DraftKings customers. Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets. Instantly take it to the rack with DraftKings Sportsbook. Every point counts. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app. Use code right. That's code right for new customers to get one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours gambling problem. Call one eight hundred Gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope in why or text hope in why, which is four six seven, three six nine. In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort. In Kansas twenty one plus age in eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible game resources, see dk dot co slash b ball. All right, Demonse, let's get to Genie Buss's comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she recently opened up about the ad trade and she said, we have lost the last We have lost the last three years in a row to the Denver Nuggets in the playoffs, and we really didn't have anything that was gonna look different going into the playoffs. Again, Anthony Davis was complaining about where he was being played and he wasn't happy.
Speaker 2: So I think this is a positive for both teams.
Speaker 1: So I hate this quote so much.
Speaker 2: Tell me about it.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, you're wrong, they have not lost, not you, Demonse, She's wrong. Yeah, No, know your playoff history, you own the team. You have not lost to the Nuggets three years in a row, lost Nuggets two years in a row. Likes, I'm not acting like that's awesome, but it hasn't been three years in a row you've lost to the Nuggets. That's first of all. Second of all, we really didn't have anything that was gonna look different. Take that, JJ Reddick. I mean, one of the biggest things you can do is change your coach. You did. You also traded away Di'angelo Russell, who has been an unmitigated playoff disaster at second of all, Third of all, ad came to the Los Angeles and kicked ass won you a championship alongside Lebron And by the way, you know what series Anthony Davis brought not probably the best playoff series of his career against Denver and Jokic in the conference finals when you won the championship, including hitting a game winning three in a series when he averaged thirty one and six en route to a gentleman's sweep over the Nuggets. So again, like, I'm not saying she was wrong about that We're gonna have trouble with Dinburgh in this year. That probably would have been true. Why say it? What is the why go after ad like that. I mean, here's here's the quote. This is again, this is what you need to say. Just my opinion. Yeah, if you'd asked me six weeks ago, would we ever trade Anthony Davis, my answer publicly would have been absolutely not. But my answer even privately to friends would have been, I mean not unless Jokichiannis or Luca are available, and they're not available. He is one of the greatest players in the league. We just signed him to an extension. Our plan was to have him take us into the post Lebron era whenever that era is as Lebron keeps defying Father Time. But when Rob got the phone call that we could get one of the only players in the entire league who is more accomplished, and I'll say it probably better than Anthony, and he's six years younger, that's just a move you can't turn down. So no, I I was very comfortable and very excited about Anthony Davis being the face of the Lakers for the next half decade. With her, now we have the opportunity to have someone be the face of the Lakers for the next fifteen years, and so we took it go ahead. That's what with her.
Speaker 3: It should have been with her saying what she said, And like, do you think even if Luca wasn't on the table that there was a chance to think got rid of Anthony Davis?
Speaker 1: I may, I don't know. She's clearly didn't like that ADS quote, the complaining thing about you know, not wanting to play center and they need a center, all that stuff. But deal with it, Like, I just did not like that quote at all. All. Right, let's go on to the MAVs. Demonsey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so obviously Kyrie towards a c O. Anthony Davis might be out for even longer. You said that what Dallas is going through is something that teams really hard, have a heart, really have Jesus Christ, have a really have a really hard time coming back from.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So with with them repairing that, what do you what do you think it's going to be harder to repair the team or its future or the trust and the fans really really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a tough one tongue twister. So they sold shells down by the seashore.
Speaker 3: But with one comes another, right obviously, like you repair the team, you gained the trust of the fans.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I don't know. You can't regain the trust of the fans without repairing the team. But just repairing the team, I don't think we'll regain the trust of the fans. So I listen, don't. This is because this is private. I guess it's not that private if I'm about to say it, but I just don't. I don't want to like turn this into like a social clip. This thing here, So there's in the chat, Biggie says, Hey, Nick, longtime MAVs fan, It's sad. What's happened. I got a text yesterday, first text I've gotten from this person since before the Super Bowl. Man, y'all gotta stop talking about the MAVs. And then the crying laughing emoji from none other than Patrick Mahomes. And the reason I say that is MAVs fans are so sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll tell you what I text him, But he didn't respond. Maybe didn't take it. Well, Bro, you're just a Laker fan, now, I wrote, I wrote, it'll be fine. I never liked the Lakers, but then they got bron so now I'm a Laker fan. And now they have Luca too. It's glorious. I am. This is.
Speaker 4: I this has the feel, honest to God of like a team moving cities.
Speaker 1: What it's done to the fan base out of nowhere. And so I people are like, all fire, Nico, Sure fine, but the owner co signed all of it. And by the way, let me find this statement, Nico Harrison statement on Kyrie. So here's what Nico said. So he said, Kyrie's the heart and soul of this team is embraced city of Dallas and our fans as an extension of his own family. All fine. I've been fortunate enough to have witnessed his journeys, continued evolution and growth over the years. I'm incredibly grateful to have the opportunity to see him approach the game basketball the same energy and fierce passion of the game. He's a young man on the verge of his career. All fine, there too, and then this his work, ethic, ethic, and absolute dedication to his craft. It's cut from the cloth of grapes. I know it, I lived it. I see the same ferocity and passion in him that I saw in Kobe. Bro. You gotta stop playing the Kobe card. You just have to we get it. You were Kobe's guy at Nike. We understand, but you traded Luka because he wasn't Kobe. Kyrie is gonna be fine at thirty three post acl because he is the work ethic of Kobe, by the way, again, and I am rooting for Kyrie, Butkoche, even Kobe when he was older and he suffered a catastrophic injury, was never the same. I'm not hoping that for Kyrie at all. But I just this team is so cooked out of nowhere for no reason. I just have never seen anything like it, and I feel I truly, I truly feel terribly for their fans terribly.
Speaker 3: You go out there, you know there was talks of there, Yeah, there were talks of this being a move for them to tank the team so they could then be able to move to Vegas. Now do you think there's any truth to that? Do you think that that's possible with they're given situation?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. Dallas is a top five market. Vegas is not a big city comparatively like where is hold On. Sorry, I'm doing a lot of on the fly biggest cities in the US. So the Dallas is so Dallas is the number nine city, but the Dallas Fort Worth metro is top five, Vegas is number twenty four, So that just doesn't make a ton of the NBA is gonna have a presence in Dallas. So that was one of the many reasons this made no sense. That conspiracy theory and and hold on biggest metro areas let me do that. I mean, there's nothing is really great radio podcasting like this. Yeah, that's what I thought. So Dallas Fort Worth Arlington is the number four metro behind only New York, LA, Chicago, and Vegas is the number twenty nine metro, So that speaks to it even more. Shout out Kansity, kans City, number thirty one metro. You know we once we used to be like twenty seven all on a bit. But that's okay, h going down, up and down a bit. Yeah no, that's all right. Yeah, fluctuating, But so that's not gonna happen. But again, if if you have made a move that is so catastrophic and incomprehensible that folks are like, maybe you're trying to pull a Major League on your own team, or I guess the more common example of it would be for season one, Ted Lasso on your own team, then you probably should just resign. And I also want to say one other thing, because there's this whole thing that like, oh, Kyrie's workload had nothing to do with the injury. No, obviously it had something to do with the injury. So he led the league in Mint's last six weeks, and people were like, well, it's not an overuse injury, it's not a soft tissue, it's a fluke thing. Got it. Even if I concede that point, here is the very very simple response to that. What are the chances you have of getting hit by a car acrossing the street? Let's call it one in one hundred. Well, if you normally cross the street fifteen times a day and the last six weeks you're crossing the street thirty times a day and you get hit by a car, is it because you were crossing the street more often than usual or was it just a fluke thing. Well, I don't know, but you gave yourself more opportunity to get hit by the car. Kyrie Irving didn't blow out his knee walking his dog. He did it playing basketball. And so the more the more you play basketball, the more often chance you have an opportunity to suffer a basketball injury. And so I'm not saying that, oh, Kyrie needed to be low managed to the hilt, but of all the players in the league, he was leading the league in minutes that seemed reckless. And so yeah, I just don't know what you do if you're Dallas. They really do not know what you do if you're Dallas. Fold. This is what my buddy, Mike melt you say, fold the franchise. I don't know, man, All right, let's let's go fastest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you did this this the season debut of King of the Hill. On your show the other day, you said that Jokich is clearly the best player in the NBA.
Speaker 2: So why as you and Vegas giving Shaye the MVP.
Speaker 1: H His best player doesn't win MVP every year. Lebron didn't have fourteen of them. You know, Jordan doesn't have eight of them. The Yo Kicch is the best player. Shaye's having the best season, So like it's It's not like I didn't say Yokic was having the best year. Shay's having the best year and he right now deserves MVP. And he had another great game last night. That to me is like a and a not a complicated one that just being the best player in the league does not mean that every year you had the best season. And I'll say another thing. Each MVP is harder to win than the last. The threshold to win your first MVP is here, the threshold to win your second MVP is here, the threshold to win your third MVP is very high. And the threshold to win four or five or six is astronomical. And so Jokis is sitting at three and so even though he's gonna average a triple double as a sinner because his team right now is the three seed and Shay's team is gonna win sixty seven games, and Shay's gonna win the scoring title, right He's gonna win the scoring title, Indney, That's gonna be enough. Yeah, I mean yeah, it's gonna win the scoring title by a lot. It's thirty two point eight points per game. So, yeah, Shay, Shay's having the best year. Jokich is the best player. What I'm interested in the MVP thing is Lebron gonna finish top five. I Lebron finished top five and age forty right, so right now, Demon's Shay Yo Kicic there's my ballot, Shay Jokicic, Giannis Tatum, that's my four. That fifth spot, it's either Bron or Donovan. Donovan's team has been unreal. Lebron's got better numbers across the board than Donovan.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 1: And then here's the other thing. Here's the other thing. I hated, hated that the NBA changed All NBA to positionless. Should be two guards too forwards in a center.
Speaker 5: I hated it might help out my guy Bron this year, though, Yeah, because if it were two guards too forwards in a center, then All.
Speaker 1: NBA is done. It's Jokic as your center, Jannison Tatum as your forwards, Shayan Donovan as your guards. But since it's positionless, could Bron take Donovan's spot on first team All NBA. Maybe? By the way, sorry, Lebron. James in year two at age twenty, was second team All NBA. No, I'm saying, year two, age twenty, second team All NBA, almost first team All NBA. Year twenty two, age forty, probably gonna be second team All NBA, almost first team All NBA. It's unbelievable. All right, before we're gonna do some quick hitter NFL stuff and answer your questions. But first, this episode of What's Right is brought to you by DAYA Pizza featuring dairy free cheese made with their new DAYA oat Cream Blend. Dairy free cheese come a long way, and DAYA is leading the charge. Their pizzas offer the melt and stretch of traditional cheese without any dairy. Each day of Pizza starts with a perfectly crisp crust, layered with savory, satisfying toppings, and finished with cheese that melts and stretches beautifully. The DAYA oat Cream blend delivers a creamy, cheesey texture that's indistinguishable from dairy based options. Every pizza crafted to be dairy free, making it a great choice for anyone seeking more inclusive meal options without compromising on taste. DAA takes the concept of dairy free to a new level, eliminating faux MoU It's not no fiar account that is the fear of missing dairy. These pizzas delivered delicious taste and texture, making them perfect for any occasion from casual dinners to game day spreads. Enjoy a faux move free pizza night with DAYA visit dayafoods dot com for more information, or find Day of Pizza at retailers like Whole Foods, Kroger, and Walmart, coming soon to select publics and Sprouts. Followed daya on Instagram and TikTok for more updates and recipes. By the way, before we get to the football stuff, speaking of sponsors, do what I haven't talked Tomnzie. Did you end up getting a new car? Still have the same car? What? What? What? What happened?
Speaker 2: I still have the same car? Nobody.
Speaker 3: I've been checking my email, obviously, I've been checking. No, I'm going to Key on Sunday, though, We're gonna we're gonna talk about something.
Speaker 1: So I was gonna say, you're it's coming up, Wind's coming up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you coming see it's it's I've got I've got like a week and a half.
Speaker 2: But I'm going something.
Speaker 1: You've now shifted the power back to them a bit. Really, what do you mean to tell you?
Speaker 3: Well, hey, I will tell them I'm the same thing that you were telling me that I would never do. Hopefully the Key dealership doesn't watched the pod, but I will tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's keep this. Let's keep this let's let's keep.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask, is is King of the Hill basically just Club Superstar with more sections?
Speaker 1: No, it's Mahomes Mountain. But for basketball, all.
Speaker 2: Right, you want to make it. I wanted to make it some type of fun.
Speaker 3: So alright, no, why it's just get it's more NBA players. I thought you guys were expanding on the on the Club Superstar.
Speaker 1: Club Superstar is very specific because it's a one in, one out policy and there's it's it's not it's not just about how you played this year, like it there is, you know, it's so as a for instance.
Speaker 2: But how you played this year could get you taken out right or some.
Speaker 1: Guys, but like Steph Curry's Superstar, he would have to have like a truly horrendous year to be out. And I can't even I'm not even gonna say the idea of Lebron not being in there and so like, so it's a different thing. Let's quickly do the Chiefs, all right.
Speaker 3: So there's no secret that the Chiefs cannot protect their quarterback in the Super Bowl. So they made a pretty odd move. They're moving Joe Dooney to the Beer to the Bears for a fourth round pick.
Speaker 2: Did this move shack.
Speaker 1: You, no, because once once they franchised Tag Tray Smith their right guard, they were clearly gonna have to move on from Tony. So they have the highest paid center in the league. They currently have the highest paid guard in the league, and Toney would have been the second his paid card in the league. You can't have like, you just can't spend your money that way, and so I listen, these are the tough decisions you have to make if you're just gonna try to keep a dynasty going. Tone, he's still a really good player, but he's thirty two years old, he's expensive. You get now, you get a young draft pick again a year from now at a draft capital what they're probably they took Kingsleys Suamataya in the second round last year to play tackle. He did not play it well. They will probably kick him over to guard. Listen, if you are trying to have a sustained level of success that only the Patriots and NFL history have had, you've got to make these tough decisions, and you've got to get real playing time from your draft picks. So you can't like Kingsley's got to play this next year. It just is what it is. And also, yes, good for Caleb. So they got they signed a tackles or they traded for a tackle. I forget the name, but they traded for a tackle. They traded for Tony. They're rebuilding their offensive line. All right. Let reminder like rate, subscribe, review, do all that stuff. And also, yeah, do it now because maybe at one am Eastern I'm gonna pop on and talk about the Lakers tonight. Let's do a few listener questions.
Speaker 3: Demanse Riley says, the stories like the around the Horn story and the moments you have with Colin are the intangibles that make us us as fans come back.
Speaker 1: That's very nice. I appreciate that. That's very nice. All right, thank you, Riley.
Speaker 2: Let's keep going, Trunks lifelong MAVs fan.
Speaker 3: At least I was, man, the lack of awareness that this new ownership group and front office just makes makes sports seem less fun and more of a business, which it is.
Speaker 2: I'm out now, no.
Speaker 1: Point, Well listen, don't be out, man, But I get the pain of this. I can't imagine. Like I said to Wilde's yesterday, I was like, if the Hunt family sold the Chiefs and a new ownership group came in. I would have a lot of worries, but one of them would not be what if these guys trade Mahomes? Like I would be worried about a bunch of stuff, but trading Mahomes wouldn't be on there. So when Cubans sold the MAVs, I'm sure some MAVs fands were like, oh boy, he was a hell of an owner. He was invested all this stuff. But I don't think they were ever thought what if they trade Luca? Now, maybe they were worried Luca might demand a trade. That's the other piece of this. I think it is way easier to deal with if Luca demands the trade, way easier because then A, you don't probably love Luca as much anymore, and B you're like, well, there's nothing we could do. And so that that to me, is that is what it seems like, right, That's what makes it just impossible. All right, let's do the next one.
Speaker 3: Isaac asked after Mahomes, Alan and Burrow, which two players round off your top five players to start a franchise with.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I would have Burrow third. I think Burrow's Jayden's interesting. I was this will shock you. I was gonna say Lamar, Yeah, yeah, because like my playoff concerns with Lamar, notwithstanding he's such a transcendent regular season player and available and all that stuff. I'm you know, Burrow's injury stuff is and slow starts you know, are to me mahomes Alan Lamar Burrow, and then I you know, I obviously would love to say kylea but that's not a legitimate opinion right now. You'd have to say you'd probably have to say Jayden h as the fifth guy, given what they've both done in the pros. I'm trying to think if there's anybody that's a fun producers, mark that down for a good August or July conversation, Like the best guys at other positions as well, non quarterbacks start franchise with all that. I like that conversation. Isaac, Good job you're out producing the show, all right, Great job, Demanse a great job to everyone at Volume and Blue Dock, all everybody helping out with today's show. Thought it looked and sounded great. Maybe I'll be on again in twelve hours. I don't know. Also, Demons have you talked to your mom? Like, do you know what her travel plans are? I do?
Speaker 3: I mean I didn't learn until Monday or Tuesday, So yeah, I thought, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah. So the reason I mentioned this is my wife, Demanday's mom is going to LA and the also, so she I said to her real quick, and then we'll move on. Then we'll in the show said. So I said, we're this morning, and I should have known better. I was like, so, where are you staying in l A? And she just turned to me and looked at me like I had two heads. She was like, you haven't booked my hotel yet? Like no, I she said. She said, wait, I don't have a hotel or rental car yet. I'm like, no, you haven't asked me to do any of that stuff. She was like, you know you need to do.
Speaker 3: Sore the assistant, But yeah, I mean, if it worse comes to worse, I have a I have a car, might not have a car here soon, and I have a place.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's what I was about to say. I was, could you imagine your mom's sleeping on your couch.
Speaker 2: It would be me sleeping on the couch. But yeah, I mean I could not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but either way you wouldn't act, would allow it, You would be a great allow it your mother your mother would not. All right, great job. Everybody see you eyes on TV. In a few hours. Will train