Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio on this Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Morale is high. It's fake, but it's high right now. Yeah, absolutely, seams. Are you trying to get everybody up? Come on, everybody, let's hear it. I can't hear you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, MP, he's here, big Frizzy, he's here.
Speaker 2: By the way, win or lose, we celebrate. T shirts are available right now at danpatrick dot com. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards for the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 4: That's all T shirts are ten dollars. None of them are specifically winter lose. We celebrate T shirts, just T shirts for ten dollars. Oh so whatever we have left, we're trying to get rid of all of our inventory. So at this point we've marked them down to ten dollars because we lost.
Speaker 2: So let's celebrate. But it's not a win or lose we celebrate T shirt. It's not those are because oh okay, yeah no, yeah, no no yet, okay, all right, Final hour. Wayne Gretzky will join us. He wins awards, he wins a lot of them. I'm like to know how big his trophy case is it's got to be a room because he's been getting trophies since he was probably seven or eight years old.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, I think I saw a feature on E sixty or something that Wayne Gretzky's father has like this house slash shrine to Wayne back in Canada.
Speaker 2: He maintains, Yes, I think he's got a shrine to his son.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine any trophies that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and these aren't participatory trophies like my kids got. And then we finally just gave him the good will is there, Like you'd have all these trophies, but none of them for winning anything. Be like, oh, and because you competed in karate, here's a four foot trophy.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show email ADDRESSDP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle hit DP show. Yes.
Speaker 3: Todd one of the cast members of the very popular successful in Emmy Win NFL Live on ESPN, which kept us from receiving the award last night for Outstanding Studio Show.
Speaker 1: Daily Mister One, Dan.
Speaker 3: Or Latsky has just checked in to the top of the final hour.
Speaker 2: Here, Hey, Dan, no worry.
Speaker 6: I'm.
Speaker 7: Doing very well. How are you good, sir? Doing crampy yeah, I feel very poorly right now.
Speaker 6: Do you.
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: Do you think we deserved it?
Speaker 7: I think we deserved it as well. But you're a good man, and people you work with are good people, and I know there's only one winner, and it makes me feel awkward now talking to someone who didn't win. That was probably very deserting.
Speaker 2: You know what it's like when you throw a pick six or something, You know, when you you have a moment and you got a back from it. I mean, yeah, can you help us understand, like, how do we come back from such an embarrassing loss that we didn't win the Sports Emmy last night?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think that you guys, you know, there's a couple of really good self helped books that might be out there that you can entertain too. Listen. I mean, we did win, and I woke up this morning and two of my four kids absolutely stunk this morning. So I had to deal with life moving forward as well, no matter we win or lose. So I looked at my wife after we dropped off our daughter's fool, I said, well, whether we won last night or loss, two of our four kids gave us absolute attitude this morning. So here we are.
Speaker 2: Well in all honesty, sincerity. Congratulations dan Orlowsky, ESPN analysts, part of NFL Live, former NFL quarterback. Let's say five years let's say ten years ago, I told you, you know what, You're going to be part of a show that wins sports Emmy. You would have said, what, You're out of your mind.
Speaker 7: There's no shot. I won't even be in TV. What is these sports Emmy? I didn't know they gave those.
Speaker 2: Out because I look at you and I keep thinking, you're an offensive coordinator in disguise. You know you're you're you're an analyst, But have you given up that dream of being a head coach or a coordinator.
Speaker 7: I don't think I've given it up. I think I you know, I want to be as always, I'm very honest and transparent. This is I felt in the last two years. It was probably the closest that calling had come for me as far as the desire and the poll, and probably after this past maybe four to six months, that is subsided and it's probably the furthest I've been away from that in a couple of years, just because of the reality of where we are with our life as a FA I've got you know, three seventh grade boys. I've got a fourth grade girl. My wife loves living where we live. We've made really good friends in town. I don't have the desire to uproot that right now, you know, with a with a want rather than a need, you know. Unfortunate some people have to do that because it's their only choice. I don't have to, and so, and I really love what I'm doing right now, you know, Dan, Like I think this process of going through being nominated and then being a part of last night, you know, it kind of I don't want to say re energize this because energy is not what I need. It makes me want to continue to climb things, you know. Like, I'm gonna be honest with you. I was up for analysts of last night as well. I was furious for not winning. Furious. I was Everyone's like, it's an honor to be nominated. I get that, you know, Like, but I wanted to win that.
Speaker 6: I really did.
Speaker 7: And when Barkley won, I texted, I'm like, what the heck, dude? And I was bombed.
Speaker 6: I was bombed. My wife.
Speaker 7: I was like, I want to go. I was being a sore loser, a baby, and so like Uh, you know, like I want to win that one day. I really do so.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: It's it's been really cool to be a part of the team that won, and I like, do I love what I'm doing right.
Speaker 2: Now talking to dan Orlovsky of the Mothership the uh Push Push We're waiting supposed to be voted on any minute.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: What do you think? How does this play out?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it sounds like it's gonna get you know, it's gonna get past that, it's gonna get banned. I just caution everybody that there's gonna be consequences that come from this that no one's really looking at. If it goes back to the newest proposal, which is what Green Bay has put out there, I believe language wise that no offensive player can push or pull another offensive player. We're totally changing offensive football then, and this is about way more than just quarterback sneak. My mind goes to all of those plays that the ball carrier or whoever gets hit it like the three or four yard line, and then all of a sudden, the two are three offensive linemen come in. It becomes that will push you know, who's got more desire at that moment to get the ball across the goal line, because that play will now if the ruling gets passed, will go from a touchdown to then a penalty. And just so everybody understands, defensive players are caught. First guy, make the hit, wrap up, second, third, fourth guy, come in, hit, punch at the ball, put your helmet on the football. So now, from an offensive perspective, if this rule gets passed, I hand the ball off to my back and he gets hit at the four yard line, no one on my team can touch him from that point forward to push or pull. But the defense can come in and punch at the ball and rip at the ball and hit at the ball. Then we're changing football offensively in a way. And we're also changing some if we're being tended defenseless player situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still think Philadelphia is going to be extremely successful at a quarterback sneak because of Jalen hurt. There's nobody like Jalen Hurts in the NFL. Nobody who has that much lower lower body strength at that position can get that low And it's about leverage and I but they you know, the Eagles imported Jason Kelsey to be a lobbyist here at the owner's meetings. What could he possibly be saying to these other owners that are going to make them rethink their vote.
Speaker 7: I would imagine there's a little bit of the health part of it, you know, in him speaking on his own behalf or experience, because there's people who say there's health concerns or injury concerns, and so him sharing that, I think him sharing the unique ability to you know, the way that they coach it, the way that their interior offensive line does it. To your point, how Jalen Hurts executes it, and how you know, it's not a cheap play for them, but more is something that they've really perfected because of the way they coach and the people that they have. I'm sure it's an angle to try to educate the owners, maybe differently than oh, they're the only team that does this and it's unfair.
Speaker 2: How excited are you about the NFL being in the Olympics with flag football? How does this?
Speaker 7: I think it's really cool. I really do. I think it's very cool. My biggest takeaway is how smart the NFL is. It's brilliant. You know, if you listen to Commissioner Goodell and his words, he was saying, you know, this opens us up even more to men and women, all ages, all over the world. And so and now you're you're taking the game of football that many of US Americans know, and you're bringing a version of it to all parts of the world that maybe don't know a ton about it and maybe can feel that, oh, I could play football like Dan. I've always thought the protection the quarterback rule that changed years and years and years ago was about kids. It wasn't about you know, Eli Manning. It was about moms and dads letting their eight or ten year old son watch the game. Because the eight ten year old son the falls and level with football is going to be the thirty to forty year old who watches football, you know. And so it's a little bit of that. This is brilliant business, you know, stuff from the NFL, and it's you know these I said this, Yesterda NFL live. These players in the NFL, you climbed the highest mountain that you think you can climb. When it comes to your profession, you accomplish it, you can't go any further. And so now this gives them another mountain to climb, another challenge to go accomplish. How rare it would be to be a person that is an NFL professional player, an MVP, a World champion, and then an Olympic champion. That's I think it's very cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how many players will play for Team USA? Who are NFL players? The team that will play represent US? If we're trying to win a gold medal? How many players will get that opportunity?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it seems probably half a dozen, you know, maybe maybe ten. You know, by my understanding, you got to try out. So how many guys are going to be willing to just go try out? Because, let's be honest, there's an ego element to these guys as well. We all believe that we're the best and whatnot. Two, you can only have one player per NFL team, per country, I believe. So that means that Brian Branch and Jamier Gibbs, both Lions, cannot play for the United States. Okay, you know, so that limits your pool just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you going to have thirty two players competing for ten roster spots on Team USA? Like football? Is that how this plays out? No?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. I mean, how many quarterbacks are actually going to go try and do it. You know how many our receivers you know, will be you know, willing to do it. I'm sure there are going to be some organizations that are a little bit cautious on it. I know they all voted in favor of it. We'll see how they feel about it in three years when it's their Super Bowl window and it's their star receiver that they're concerned about and whatnot. So I don't know there'd be thirty two, but I do think that there's going to be a decent amount of guys, at least initially interested in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can I submit this for next year's Sports Emmy having you on it, having one and agreeing that we deserve to win the Sports Emmy?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you could submit it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you could submit it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I'm out a round of applause. Yeah, it should be a very interesting NFL Live episode later today for you, Dan.
Speaker 7: No, I'm bet you're not on today.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 7: I'm not on today, I'm not. My sons have a big lacrosse last regular season lacrosse game tonight, so I don't want to miss that.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, and congrats again.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Sir, I appreciate you. You're a legend.
Speaker 2: You know that, So thank you, thank you. That's uh. Dana Loosky. Yeah, I've taken care of my part of this. I'm the legend. It's the other part that's the problem. I'm a Hall of Famer. The show is in the Hall of very good. You know what, maybe I go work for NFL.
Speaker 1: Seriously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is true because even when the Radio Hall of Fame came calling, they inducted you and not the show was like the Breakfast Club is in the Tommy TJ Show, the Jimmy and Skippy Show, Sally and the Commander's Show.
Speaker 2: Dan Patrick, Yeah, you are the Hall of Fame. Bob and Tom are getting in, not Dan and the Dan. Yes, Marvin, but.
Speaker 3: You're going to the Hall of Fame for your influence, very much like Vince Carter.
Speaker 2: I'm the Vince Carter of sports radio.
Speaker 4: So I Pat McAfee and their show wins the radio on sports are on TV.
Speaker 6: Emmy or Dan Levatard.
Speaker 2: No, they're not gonna win one. I'm not without Stu got all right, all right, let me take a break. Let's clean this up. Wayne Gretzky is gonna join us the great one. Oh dear, let's take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 6: So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 9: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Pacers at the next game one tonight you have the Oilers at the Stars game one. Last night, Panthers rolled the Hurricanes five. Two more phone calls coming up. Well make way for Wayne Gretzky, the Hall of Famer, part of Turner's sports coverage of the Stanley Cup Final. He'll be in attendance for all the games. Wayna, good to see you again. How you feeling?
Speaker 6: I feel older, but it's great to see you. You know, when you get your two youngest kids graduating college the same week, you know you're getting old. So Thursday NYU, Friday SMU, and onto the Stanley Cup Semis and the finals.
Speaker 2: Now, could you give me a shift on the ice?
Speaker 6: No, I'll tell you what happened about the age of fifty seven. I was playing in a charity game and I came back and I threw my bag down the hotel room and I said to my wife, that's the last time I'm ever going to skate, and she goes, what do you mean? I said, I was scared to death. I was going to fall and hurt myself. And you can't play this game with fear, right, So it was time for me to officially retire, even though I retired at the age of thirty nine, but I stayed every now and then my son's hockey schools and I get on the ice, but I don't play in charity games anymore. I don't trust myself out there.
Speaker 2: But that's what makes what yarm or ynger or Gordi, how did listen?
Speaker 6: It's amazing, GORDI how got twenty goals in the NHL at the age of fifty? Think about that.
Speaker 2: Amo Yager.
Speaker 6: I don't know. He's got to be fifty eight. I don't even know how hold he is. And he's still playing games, although he told me one day he said, I only play the home games now, though I said, well, you're arrested. And Chris Jellio has played the fifty years old and the way he played he was a maniac at the age of twenty and the age of fifty, So I have great admiration for older players, older athletes who have excelled, Guys like Tom Brady, guys like Lebron. It's pretty remarkable that you can go on at that age because, you know, Dan, you've been around sports a long time. The athletes are better today. They're bigger, they're stronger, the coaching is better. And that's not a knock to the past. That's just progression. Right twenty years from now, it's going to be better today. It's different. Every sport is different than it used to be. But the athletes I think are better today.
Speaker 2: Did you lift weights?
Speaker 6: Brad Hall had the greatest line of all. Somebody said to him, you lift weights, and he said, I've never seen a bar bell score, but I've seen a lot of We used to do a training camp. We would come in and they'd have these kids from the university that would do our you know, I guess they were seeing what kind of shape you're in. So they had this. You had the bench press one hundred ninety five pounds, and I would just look at the bar and I'd say to the kid, just mark me down for one. I didn't even try to lift it. I said, how many sit ups did I do last year? He said, seven, I said, Mark me, so say they would think I was getting better, But listen, I did eight push ups in training camp and scored ninety two goals. I did one hundred and twenty five sit ups my last year training camp, I got nine goals. There's no correlation.
Speaker 2: Right, When did you realize that Ovechkin could get your goalscoring record?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 6: When he scored on his back against us? When I was coaching in Phoenix in about two thousand and seven, I came in the locker room and I think it was Rick Talckett said, the writing's on the wall. This guy's going to be chasing you down. No, we knew he was. Listen, he's a I said this. There's only three guys, him, Messe and Gordie Howe that could play with the finesse, the goal scoring touch and the physical part of the game. Those three guys did that. Now, maybe Mark had little bit more creativity with passing, but scoring. Mark scored big goals all the time. Gordy House scored big goals. But if they weren't scoring, they'd run through you. And that's what those three guys have in common.
Speaker 2: But explain to us that it's the hardest thing to do, aside from hitting a baseball. But you're on skates with a stick and guys are trying to beat the hell out of you when you have the puck on your stick, Like, what were you looking for?
Speaker 6: Well, people always say, how did you score that goal? Did you see that open spot? Did you scout the goalie? You know, maybe where his tendencies were and what was his weakness. The game is so fast to me, I was just shooting, trying to get an open spot, trying to hit the net. It was my biggest pet peeve in the world when you go all the way down the ice and the guy would shoot the puck and miss the net. And if you look at Mike Bossi and Brett Hull and Vets and you're a Curry Mario, they didn't miss the net. They hit the You can't score if you don't hit the net. Common sense, Right, game's too fast to now. In practice, you get out there and you put up targets and you work on things like that. But during the game, the game's too fast. You're just trying to get it to the net.
Speaker 2: Do you hold a grudge against anybody?
Speaker 6: Do I?
Speaker 2: Yeah? From your playing days, no, As.
Speaker 6: A matter of fact, the exact opposite. I have so much more respect for the players I played with and against today. Even back then, now, listen, there was a lot of guys that didn't like because they're trying to win and I was trying to win. But today, even even the guy that played me the hardest, the guy like Dennis Potvan, if he called me needed a favor, I would try to drop everything and try to help him. You know, we become one. There's one common thing that we all have as professional athletes. One day we're going to be alumni. We're all going to be retired, right, So I got a great respect. Now. There was a lot of guys that probably hated me when they played against me, and there's a lot of guys I didn't like. But when it's all said and done, it's like the other night when you saw Dallas, Jamie Benn and Scheifeley battled for six games like real men. They were physical, hard, played hard, and that's what makes our game so great. The emotions that they showed after the game and the sportsmanship and the respect they had for each other was truly remarkable. I happened to be at the game and I thought it was just amazing.
Speaker 2: Talking to Wayne Gretzky the Hall of Famer. Does your wife ever call you the great one?
Speaker 6: No? Every time that she probably says, do you think, why do you think you're the great one? I will tell you. I was having dinner with Charles Berkley one night in Phoenix and my son and I and we're sitting there, and his wife said, great one. When you passed me in the salt, and I went to grab the salt and his hand was already there, and he said, in this house they call me. My son was fifteen. Then he thought it was the greatest thing in the world.
Speaker 2: Where are all your trophies?
Speaker 6: I have one trophy here that Rocket Richard gave me, the only hockey trophy. I have one of the trophies I'm most proud of. I have here Sports Illustrated Sportsman in the year. That's the only two I have here. The rest are at the Hockey Hall of Fame or in the basement of my since past parents' house that my nephew lives in, and my trophies are still there.
Speaker 2: How important were trophies to you, aside from the Stanley Cup?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know Glenn Say there had a theory in training camp. I want to win the scoring race. I want to win the best defenseman. I want a goalie to be the best goalie. I want to have the MVP. But with all that, I want the Stanley Cup. So yeah, it was. He put it out there. He didn't hide from it at all.
Speaker 2: The difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey, and it's not, you know, that much different than other sports. You know, maybe the NFL is still in each game because there's only seventeen games, but what is it about playoff hockey that we you know, it's just different. It's different than any other sport.
Speaker 6: It really is. Although I'm a basketball fan, I think the basketball has been phenomenal this year in the playoffs, and you can tell those guys have gone to another level. Our game has just always been that way, and I think one of the things that happens is it's so hard to referee our sports so fast, and our referees do a great job. And when we get in the playoffs and referees tell both teams, look, you can play hard and you play physical, just don't be stupid. We don't want to be the difference in the hockey game, and so the game becomes extremely physical and very fast, and it's hard to it's hard to win in the National Hockey League. And I thought Carolina played a really good hockey game last night. Unfortunately, they're playing maybe the best team in the last three years and they get beat And now you play all year to get home I sadvantage and you lose it in one night, and so I expect and anticipate Burns and company will come out flying tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're like Peyton Manning when you're watching Peyton gets upset, you know, when he's watching bad football, or somebody does. I don't know, how are you similar to Peyton Manning when you're watching hockey and you're like, why are they doing something? Or you get you know, visibly, you know, upset with what you're seeing.
Speaker 6: No, not at all. I don't critique it, if anything on the opposite, I just sit and enjoy it. I really appreciate good plays. I really appreciate good coaching. And you can see the four teams are in the finals. They all have good coaching and that's part of the reason they're there. And then they have the skill and the talent to go with that. So now I know how hard these kids work, and I never critique them.
Speaker 2: The honest place where you were recognized is where.
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, I don't know, maybe roam. You know, it's amazing. I retired twenty five years ago. I think I get recognized more now than I did in nineteen ninety nine. But people are nice. It doesn't even phaze me. You know, people are always nice. Everybody has their opinions. Who the best player was, who the best teams were? We all do That's what makes sports great and all. We don't have the right answer. It's your opinion, as simple as that.
Speaker 2: But Michael Jordan thinks he's the greatest basketball player of all time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was the greatest athlete I think of all time.
Speaker 2: Do you think you're the greatest hockey player of all time?
Speaker 6: No, No, not at all. I always said that Gordi Howe and Bobby Orr were the two greatest hockey players that ever lived. I made my life because of those two guys. They took the NHL to another level and gave me an opportunity. No, I would never say that, and I mean that sincerely. I tell my kids that i'd say publicly, I have too much respect for both those players that I would think that I was better than they were.
Speaker 2: But if I said, I can wipe away everything you did in hockey, but you would have been a Hall of Fame baseball player for the Tigers, and.
Speaker 6: I would have told you I was the greatest baseball player ever. I can bragg about my baseball.
Speaker 2: But you told me years ago that you that really was. That was a goal. Like you loved the Detroit Tigers.
Speaker 6: Oh, I really did. I grew up an Ernie Harwell fan. Mickey Lolis. One of the great days of my life. I watched Mickey lowlts pitch when I was thirteen, and I wrote it in my book. We're playing in Detroit one day and trainer came in and said, there's a guy out here that wants to sign his book. Can I bring him in? I said, sure, it was Mickey Lolis because I wrote the story in the book, and so I got a chance to meet him and get a picture taken with him. And then through those years, you know, Mark the burn Fidrich came and you know, and then when Sparky Anderson went to Detroit and they won the World Series, So I grew up a huge Tigers fan. Now I love the Blue Jays, but they weren't there till seventy six, so I'd been fifteen years in baseball by the time the Jays were sort of founded.
Speaker 2: Were you starstruck first time you met Jordan?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think everybody is. Like I said to me, the two greatest athletes ever were Michael Jordan Muhammad Ali, and I got the chance to be friends with both of them. I got a chance to spend a lot of time with Muhammad La. I went to New York in nineteen seventy eight when I signed the WHA and I was with Gordi Howe and Bobby Hall, and I was his kid. Just starstruck, right, And We're in the Plaza Hotels the first time I'd ever been to New York and there I was standing there. Muhammad La came over to shake Gordy house hand and I almost fell over like that. And then five minutes later, Pat Boone came over to say lo to Gordi Howe, and I said, is there anybody this guy doesn't know? So he fascinated me from the very first time I ever met him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they have to be starstruck when they meet you too.
Speaker 6: I don't think so, I hope not, because I'm like you, I'm a normal guy.
Speaker 2: Well you are. You're so approachable, you know, And I liken you to kind of Joe Montana. If people see you, they don't realize that guy did what he did in his sport. Like you see Montana, he looks like he's a kicker. You don't think that's one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Like you're disarming because you're very generous to people and very gracious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people are nice and listening. I got everything in my life because of hockey and because of fans. But I remember our sons played together, and I used to love the fact that Joe was there because we go to the high school football games and nobody even cared that I was. Everybody was bothering and getting pictures with Joe. He made my life in high school that much easier.
Speaker 2: But that's I mean, it's been a pretty amazing career. But like any goals that, what's left here for you?
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't know. Right now. I'm proud to or five grandchildren and two more on the way. And you know families for me now, and you know, I did my hockey thing and I loved every minute of it. Now I'm a fan. I enjoy being on TNT. They're wonderful people and the people we work with. And Liam is unbelievable. He's our quarterback and you know he does all the legwork and all the heavy lifting. And I just got to sit there and talk hockey. How nice is that you get to sit there and I don't have to worry about getting hit or run or knocked over the head. I can just sit there and have fun.
Speaker 2: But you're healthy, very healthy, okay.
Speaker 6: Although like everyone else, you know, I had some pre cancerous things taking off my face in the last few weeks, but.
Speaker 2: But no concussion stuff.
Speaker 6: Like if you asked my wife, she would tell you, I forget things I just told you an hour ago. You lost that back in those they told you to go home, have a beer, go to bed, have an AskMen, we'll come and skate at you tomorrow. You'll sweat it out.
Speaker 2: Do you have any pictures of you fighting, like the frame photos of you. Yeah, it was going to happen very often. I'm curious if I was.
Speaker 6: Talking about my sports Illusterates Trophy. I got one fight really in my career. Neil Broughton wasn't even his fault. I jumped him. The guy flies from New York and he's out there giving this presentation about how my sportsmanship, how I don't fight. First shift in, I'm fighting Neil Broughton. I get to the bench and I'll never get MESSI said to me, what were you doing? And I said, I don't know. But Davison Micah says, the good news is that's not even a fight. That's called cat fighting, so that doesn't count.
Speaker 2: But did you throw a punch?
Speaker 6: I don't even remember. I think I kind of, I don't know. We got to the pebbly box and I remember I looked over and I said, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I apologize Neil.
Speaker 6: I think he's more shocked than the seventeen people at the game and the nineteen teammates I had on the bench going what was that all about? One night we were playing in Chicago, Bob Murray kind of he's always whacking me and hacking me, and I got so mad at grabbed him and he threw me on the ice and he had his hand like this, and I'm looking over at our bench and there's five guys with their legs over the boards and he's holding me. He goes, now, don't move. I'm not gonna hate you. And I got back to the bench and I told all the guys, I said, nobody's allowed to touch him the rest of the night.
Speaker 2: But did you give like Dave Simenko an extra gift? He was your protector. They had to have one on each team.
Speaker 6: I'm guessing in those days everybody had sort of that guy, right, you know the one I did give him. I gave him my car that I wanted the All Star Game in nineteen eighty nine and Edmonton, I guess yeah. I brought him downstairs after the game. I said, here's the keys, so you can have the car. So he was great. He was a great teammate to all of us, and he was beloved by the fans, the fans in Edmonton. He was as big as anybody on that team. They loved him to death. And you know, he was witty, He was fine, and he didn't really want to fight. He only did it if he had to, if he saw somebody abusing a teammate. He never went looking to hurt anybody and that's listen. That's the other thing about our league, especially in those days. Those tough guys didn't want to go hurt guys. They didn't want to go after those guys. They fought the big guys, right, They fought each other.
Speaker 2: It was kind of a code, all right, handicap. The teams that are left in the playoffs give us like a tutorial on what do you think is going to play out well.
Speaker 6: I like all four teams because I think all four teams are well coached, and I think all four teams right now are getting goaltending. I think Autinger and Bob Rovsky have proven to be two of the elite goalies. Skinner last year got to the finals and had a good run. He's got two shutouts in a row, so he seems to be on a roll. Anderson in Carolina, I wasn't. He didn't have a bad game last night, but he didn't have a great game last night. The thing between Carolina and physical I think Carolina is a little bit faster and they the go, go, go go. Florida is smart and disciplined. This general manager has made some great deals. He's got to chuck. He got Bennett traded for Seth Jones or Shawn On and on. So it's tough to knock out the Stanley Cup champions, right. So I like Florida, but Roddy Brunomore and I were roommates at the Olympics in nineteen ninety eight, so you know my hurts with him also, and he's done a phenomenal job. Now everybody knows Edmonton that you know, we're my life was made and I always vote for them. My brother's the assistant GM. They have the two of the best three players in the National Hockey League and dry Sidle and McDavid questions the best player in the game. They're going to have to contain him. Pete de Boor has done a great job. And Dallas they made incredible trade getting Ratting in. I think it changed their team. The team that Dallas is playing Edmonton's playing this year in the semi finals. Dallas is a better team than they were last year and that series went six games. So this series I predicted those seven games.
Speaker 2: My best your wife and the family. Great to see you again and ut.
Speaker 6: Seeing you, and it's always a pleasure. I hope everything's going well for you and your family too.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bud. Good to talk to you.
Speaker 6: You guys all take care.
Speaker 2: How about that a great one? Bye Fritzy, Yeah jealous Yeah. Wayne was it on the bus last night coming back from the Emmys, said that I think we got a ruling on the tush push and I'm gonna take a break my thanks to Wayne gretzkype. We'll take a break last call for phone calls, what we learned and maybe some finality on the tush push.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: We've been waiting for a ruling from the NFL owners meetings in Minnesota on the tush push where there be modifications? Would they get rid of it? And PAULI, do we have a final answer? Do we want to play the tush push game?
Speaker 5: Possibly for the last time, the tush push game?
Speaker 2: All right? Todd? Will the NFL allow the tush push next season?
Speaker 6: The touch push is done?
Speaker 2: Ain't Seaton? I think the tush push was pushed again to another vote at some other time that the table.
Speaker 4: I think the tush push has still been pushed.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin, I think they banned it. All right. I'm going to say they tweaked language, but they banned it.
Speaker 5: According to a number of reporters, the Packers proposal to ban the tush push did not receive the required support. Twenty four NFL owners would have had to vote against it to remove it from the game.
Speaker 2: Twenty two owners voted against it.
Speaker 5: Oh Man, there's no other recourse this offseason. It will stay in the game for the twenty twenty five season. The Philadelphia Eagles moments ago tweeted out push on with the picture of Jalen Hurts against the Packers doing the tush push.
Speaker 2: Okay, little eleventh hour lobbying going on by the Eagles. All right, Uh Ray in Texas? Good morning, Ray? What's on your mind?
Speaker 6: ABP?
Speaker 2: I have a question for you? And then uh from.
Speaker 6: That movie Fight Club?
Speaker 2: My favorites.
Speaker 7: So, if you could fight a sports figure alive or dead, who would it be?
Speaker 5: For example, I fight Bob Costas.
Speaker 2: Uh I, I don't want to fight anybody. Do you guys have somebody you want to fight in the sports media? Is that what he was asking there? Night Club? Yeah? Seat and you got somebody you want to fight, not really. Yeah, I can't. I've tried to let go of a lot of that. Uh yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like all that negative energy was really holding me down for a long time.
Speaker 2: Ye weighing me down. I don't I don't have any anger. Yeah, I'm all good.
Speaker 6: I was at the sports Semis last night.
Speaker 2: Beef who Yeah, I'm okay. I don't have enough energy to have a beef with anybody. David in Ohio, John Clckery. I'd beat the crap out of that guy. Oh, the referee who calls Seaton Hall feel tight accurate. I had to let go of that. I don't care how old he is, David, David, he's in it. I beat the crap out of that guy. Yeah, assisted living and you're walking in there? Yeah, they stand up? Punk? What's up? Where's your whistle now?
Speaker 11: Guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How about this? Is that a foul?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: Break your broken hip?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Bet that was a fun David in Ohio.
Speaker 10: Hi, David, Hey Dan, Sorry, sorry you didn't win the Sports Emmy.
Speaker 6: At least he.
Speaker 10: Didn't run out of the back of the end zone like Dan Rolowski and I have something else to make you feel better. The Red Sox Fantausy went oh to six in the World Series after nineteen eighteen, after losing all six times before finally winning on the seventh try. So I think this is this is your purse of the Bambino story.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right. Brian in Chicago, Hi, Brian, Hey Dan?
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 12: First off, in the words of the great Bob Costas, Hello loser. You I know man, but listen, you guys are already back on the Ammy train. You just had the greatest hockey player of all time admit that he apologized in the in the penalty box. Come on, guys, are already back on the train.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's going to necessarily put us over the top. But thank you. Brian Amy in Arizona, Hi Amy.
Speaker 11: Hi Dan, one hundred and forty six feet. Yes, first time, long time. I even't got my footsy shirt on that says section rows feet. Love that my friend, my friend's daughter passed away a few weeks ago from the flu, and it's her high school graduation today. Her dad, Eric and her family are huge fans, and I thought you could offer a message of support and instruction on such an emotional day for them.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can do it just as Aim. But I've appreciate you calling in and Eric, I'm glad you listen. I hope you have positive thoughts today of everything that she accomplished in his short life. It's emotional anyway. Now you tack on that you're going to be there to get her diploma, So good luck with that. Celebrate nothing wrong with crime. We did last night at the sports semis and on the bus and today on the show. Yeah, yeah, good luck with that, Eric and family. What we learned brought to you by Mako. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. They bring your car back to life. Affordable pain choms like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get MAKO. Thanks for joining us, Our pleasure to serve you for the Minister of Humor, Fritzy Seat and Marv Paul Ears really talk to you tomorrow