Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Tuesday, August twentieth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number eighteen. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break lifem Oxnard, California. It is our final show here in the sunny confines of Oxnard, California, before we head back to the heat box.
Speaker 4: They call Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 6: Big Big of one hundred and six to day or something like that. It is a beautiful sixty one right now in California, so we'll miss that part of it. But other than that, I'm very ready to help got and head back to Frisco, get back to the family, and do some some some regular stuff.
Speaker 4: Get into this regular season. That's really the big deal.
Speaker 6: Today we're gonna be talking about the Cowboys second preseason game.
Speaker 4: We'll have some names.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna throw out to you guys, some positions I'm gonna throw out to you guys, get your opinions on where you think things sit after that second preseason game. I think, obviously where we start, and it's where we started last week.
Speaker 4: But I think really.
Speaker 6: Evaluating Trey Lance at his performance, tell me what you think of where he was this week and what you saw from him, and also then give me a comparison to what you saw from him in week one and how much that has changed.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: I think the thing with Trey Lance is you were, just as you mentioned Derek, looking for improvement. You just wanted to see, were there problems against the Rams in the red zone?
Speaker 3: How accurate was he? Was there a decision making involved in what he was able to do.
Speaker 7: I kind of feel like, guys, they tailored the game play and to his strengths a little bit more in this game. I felt like in week one it was let's see Trey Lance pocket passer throwing the ball forty times. The game against the Charge against the Raiders, it seemed like more there was more of.
Speaker 3: The RPO stuff.
Speaker 7: There were things that they were kind of plays a little bit like I say, to his strength. So I was happy to what I saw with him. You know, when he faced the Blitz, if you check into the metrics and how that looked, seven of eight against the Blitz were the week before against pressure. There was a little bit of some problems there and he probably didn't handle that particularly well. But I felt like that the plays that he was involved with, there were some really good ones where you're like, Okay, you see athletic ability, you see the talent, you see the ability to get the ball out, you see the mobility and stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, there's going to be some issues with accuracy.
Speaker 7: That's kind of his game right now. But I thought he looked more comfortable, he looked more confident, and the team moved the ball that way offensively because of how he played.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot more confident, a lot more composed.
Speaker 5: The first half, the time of possession battle was really wonky, so I don't really feel like he got a he got going in full stride until deep into that second half.
Speaker 2: But whenever he did get going deep into that second half, we.
Speaker 5: Saw that confidence and it was throws across the middle and it was throws outside the numbers. And that was the biggest criticism I took away from the game against the Rams is that he couldn't push anything to the outside, and when he did he was leading receivers wrong. He was leading them away from the sticks, but he was putting balls in really good places. On Saturday against the Raiders. Really liked the way he used his feet. We saw the athleticism being used a little bit more, We saw the Reid option being used a little bit more.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 5: McCarthy was even helping him out in that area in some instances. His footwork is still really bad and I think it's definitely gonna have to take a step forward in that department. But if we are comparing from game one to game two, significant improvement, and if he can take as big of a step going into game three, then you could start to see the vision on Trey Lance going into the future.
Speaker 2: And I know I mentioned it on the Camp and Out podcast, but they have a.
Speaker 5: Few different They have a few different options when it comes to Lance. It's, you know, make him QB two this year. I don't feel like that would be the right decision. Make him QB two next year, which I feel like could be the right decision, or use him as some sort of value right now I mean you look at some teams, you look at the Raiders. I think Trey Lance is better than both of those guys coming out of that game on Saturday. So you know, there's gonna be some options at the front office we'll toy with. But I think truly they want to develop this guy and they want to have him behind Dak Prescott for the future.
Speaker 7: Nick can ask you a question, if Trey Lance is quarterback three, do you even look into resigning him or trying to extend him after this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do because you look at these two guys. You look at Cooper Rush and Trey Lance are both on expiring deals. You have Cooper Rush who's going to be thirty one going into twenty twenty five, and Cooper Rush being or excuse me, Trey Lance being twenty five going into twenty twenty five. You look at the youth and the ability to be able to develop and the ceiling. Well, you know which one has reached his ceiling already, which one probably still have some ways to go.
Speaker 2: I think if you're looking at it that way.
Speaker 5: I understand why you would want to bring back Trey Lance and make him the QB two and give Cooper Rushian opportunities elsewhere.
Speaker 2: And that's not to say that Cooper Rush hasn't done a great job in Dallas. I think he has.
Speaker 5: I think at that point, it's just you kind of look around the room and you say, Okay, if Dak Prescott We're to go down with the injury, do I want another thirty year old plus guy to be able to carry the load if he has to over the course of six games?
Speaker 2: You know, like, who's to say he goes down?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: I think when it comes to just but preparing for the worst, that's what you had to do whenever you're factoring in these quarterback two situations, I think Trey Lance would maybe be the better bet.
Speaker 7: Maybe I'm strange about this, but if something happens to Dak Prescott, I want Trey Lance playing, Yeah, And I want Trey Lance this year, yes, Okay, And I want Trey Lance playing because I want to try.
Speaker 3: And figure it out that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And if it doesn't work now I know now, I know that in twenty twenty five, I have to do this or I have to do that in order for my quarterback rooms.
Speaker 6: Can I give you a caveat to that? Because I agree with your thought process. I'll say this, Let's say we're mid season and we're knocking on wood because we don't want to lose.
Speaker 3: Like no, But if you're at.
Speaker 6: Mid season and let's say let's say the Cowboys are seven and one, now I disagree with you. Look now I think I want to stick with Cooper Rush because I'm and also, how long is dak Out?
Speaker 4: Is he gone for the Season's he gone just a few games?
Speaker 3: If he say, if he's out for the whole season.
Speaker 6: If he's out for the rest of the season and they're seven and one, I'm gonna ride with Cooper Rush for at least three or four games.
Speaker 4: I want to see what happens in those three or four games.
Speaker 6: If they all of a sudden get on a slide and they're not winning, that's when I say, Okay, I would much rather if I'm already losing, I'd rather go with the guy that's gonna give me an indication of where he's gonna be for next year, because I'm making decisions about next year. If if let's say they are midway through the season and they're three and four and.
Speaker 4: Or three and five, and they lose Dak Prescott.
Speaker 6: Now I agree with you because now I'm thinking, Okay, for the future, I want to see because I don't think necessarily either one of those two guys is necessarily gonna take me from a deficit to now getting back into the playoffs. I don't I don't necessarily see that, but I do want to see what I have for next year. I think I have a good handle on Cooper Rush. I don't know that I have a good handle on on on on Trey Lance.
Speaker 4: And I said that on our show the other night.
Speaker 6: I said, I wonder, at this point, are you going to run out of time with Trey Lance? Like you see some progression, you see some things you like I was. I was talking to someone the other day and I said, you know, he reminds me when he's running up running the ball, he reminds me of Kaepernick, like that long stride. Very we saw him in that game last over the weekend. There was one run where he took off around the outside and I thought there was no where he was gonna get the corner.
Speaker 4: And he got the corner and turned the corner right, and I was like, man, he can take up, he can he can move.
Speaker 6: Fast enough to actually eat up a lot of ground really quickly, though, And and that excites me because in today's NFL, having a mobile quarterback that can do those kinds of things can really win.
Speaker 4: You some ballgames. So I think there's some things you really like.
Speaker 6: I just don't know if they're gonna have enough time to flesh all that out and make sure he can actually.
Speaker 4: Play the position long term before they have to make it a sea.
Speaker 7: Let me ask you guys this question, then, do you think the Cooper Rush is a different quarterback from what you've seen in camp? Because I seen a quarterback that's more willing to throw the ball.
Speaker 3: Down the field.
Speaker 7: I'm you know, you mentioned the comebacks, the deep outs, the deep shots down the field. Maybe Cooper Rush with all the Trey Lance Hype has said, you know what, what do I have to lose. I'm gonna be the second or third here. Might as well try and push the ball a little bit more. If that's the case, maybe you do have a different quarterback here.
Speaker 3: Maybe Cooper Rush.
Speaker 7: To me, it was always a very by the book, by the book by the book.
Speaker 3: Kind of guy.
Speaker 7: But if there's a willingness to have the offense run down the field like you would with Dak, I would be okay with Cooper Rush. I just feel like though, with Trey Lance, it gives me an element that we see teams winning with in the National Football League.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we saw in that first game whenever he pushed the ball downfield of Jalen Bruks down the left sideline. And we've seen Trey Lance try to push the ball downfield on a couple of different occasions in games and it hasn't It hasn't quite worked out. So I think I think if it's a situation regardless is my personal belief. If it's a situation regardless three and five or seven and one and Dak Prescott were to go down, I want Cooper Rush in there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I think that's a guy who he knows the offensive system really well. I think he matches, you know, he matches with these receivers really well. He has experience with these guys. Not to say that Trey Lance doesn't. I mean, there's some young receivers all they know is Trey Lance, you know, working with the second and third team. But I would want Cooper in there right now. I just it's too much inconsistency from Trey Lance. There's too much hesitance in the pocket. Still, yes, he has improved from week one to week sir, but I want somebody that's confident in the pocket, and I think Cooper Rush is confident. Can he do every thing, No, absolutely not, but I think he does do enough to be able to warrant really good quarterback play when when the time is needed.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll also tell you this if they're three and five.
Speaker 6: Another reason why I think I probably want want Cooper Rush to not be the guy is because this is gonna sound weird and maybe a little bit selfish, but I'm like, at three and five, I don't think I'm gonna go deep into the playoffs, even if I somehow manage to get back in the playoffs. Give me the best draft pick I can possibly get, because I may be in a situation where I need a quarterback. And if you're in that situation now, you want to be as high as the draft as you possibly can. So for me, if I'm at three and five and I lose Dak, that's at that point where I'm like, Okay, give me the top pick.
Speaker 4: I can possibly get. I'm playing for next year. At that point.
Speaker 6: So for me, give me the quarterback I need to develop and see more of to decide is this gonna be a player for me? And is this to somebody I really want to invest in?
Speaker 2: You think who makes that decision the way?
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this question real quick. Yeah, I'll get to that.
Speaker 4: It ain't gonna be me me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't. Last time you listened to me was two thousand and five. That was a long time ago.
Speaker 7: The you you the way you evaluate it right now, you don't see Trey Lance is being a quarterback in the future here if something, if Dak were to move on.
Speaker 5: As a starting quarterback in this future, not as of right now. I think it would take. I think it would take after Dak Prescott's next contract and if Trey Lance was still around at that point. Okay, but I'm sure by that point Lance is ready to move on and find some greener pastors.
Speaker 7: And that's you know, it's funny, it's it's it's as like I say, it's an interesting thought because I've seen some positivity, but I understand I understand where people are with with that with Trey Lance, and you know, if he's really that far away yeah, you know, and to you he is that far away.
Speaker 2: I think he is now.
Speaker 5: Again, if we were talking about, you know, if this was Raiders break, I'd be like, yeah, this guy's ready to go.
Speaker 2: Like him out there, Yeah, you know, but it's a starter. He's a starter, let's get it going.
Speaker 5: Know, but I don't see him just with the way this team has. Even if they move on from Dak Prescott, Let's let's say next offseason they're going to draft a guy that's that's most likely going to be the case. I feel like they're gonna draft a gout regardless of Dak moves on or not next year. So there's going to be a young quarterback in that room either battling with him or they're gonna have to make a decision between the two when it comes to next offseason.
Speaker 2: So I'm I just I don't see it.
Speaker 5: I don't see in reality where Trey Lance is the starter going into any season.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 6: Until Dak and the Cowboys come to a resolution on that part, everything is we don't know what's gonna happen because it's just like there's too many there are too many factors to really know. And that's when you made that question, when you ask that question about, like, what do you think of a trade for the few?
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know right now. You may get through the end of the season and things just fall completely off the rails.
Speaker 6: In regards to Dak wanting to be here, like Dax has a lot of control on this too, I say.
Speaker 4: I choose to do something different.
Speaker 6: The point is, until that deal is done, everything is as a possibility in my mind, and so I approach it as, Hey, let me find out as much as I can possibly find out about all three quarterbacks, and then we'll see next year. Cooper Rush, maybe you're starting, who knows what happens. But until that's done, I think that's the first piece that has to actually come down, and then you can start figuring.
Speaker 4: Out what happens to the rest of it.
Speaker 6: All Right, we're gonna take our first break when we come back. We're gonna get some standout players from this game. I want to hear from you guys on that, and we'll also see some players that you guys think going into this final preseason game have a lot of work to do and need a really great performance in order to solidify their roster spots.
Speaker 4: We'll do that when we come back. Das Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat is Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable and not. Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five gs. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the back pack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable.
Speaker 9: Secure five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 10: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O Lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 10: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels. No one comes close. LG O Lad Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 4: Dallas.
Speaker 11: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their low locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold doctor pepper for everyone.
Speaker 2: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 13: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. The Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to Bank of America, What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Bank of America n a number after I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 10: Back to the Break.
Speaker 5: L g O led Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital trends said the l g O led G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at lg dot com, slash O led Evo, Come on, Ambar, come on coming for your job.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, second Limox dot California. Uh, let's get back into the Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, never mind, that's the next one. I'm bad see I blew it? I blew it.
Speaker 5: Never mind, I have no idea what I was pointing at blockchain, But that's next segment.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is a segment, right, dot com ding ding.
Speaker 6: You haven't been on show long enough for you to be correcting me, But you're right right, all right.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about standout players.
Speaker 6: I want you guys to give me some players at stood out to you in this last game that he thought had really great performances.
Speaker 5: Let's start with these, Nick Yeah, I man, I really loved what I saw from Duce Swan. Missing a lot of camp with that hamstring injury really tough, especially this specific camp, because that running back is in desperate need of a playmaker, and I think we saw a little bit of a glimpse of that in that game against the Raiders. I mean that one play where he bounces out to the outside, he cuts back and he makes a corner. Just look foolish. You know that's a corner that's playing on Sundays. You know that's that's not a corner who he was maybe bouncing off tacklers in Seattle last year against You know, that's a that's a legit player.
Speaker 2: So he looked really good.
Speaker 5: Five rushes for thirty four yards almost seven yards per pop. I really love what he brought to that's that running back room on Saturday. I think he I think there's now a path for him to be able to stamp a roster spot this upcoming Saturday. I'm not gonna say he made the roster last Saturday, but I think there's a pretty big path now for him to be able to stamp that going forward. And then man Keemon Hall, it feels like every time he steps on the field, he's making sure his name is being spoken about. And the seventy yard pick six was obviously huge. You know, we're gonna get into you know, potential, you know bubble guys. I think he's starting to rise into that bubble and it's starting to you know, push some names down maybe further down the list that you're like, okay, like he's on watch. So I really love the performance from those two guys, and Justin Rodgers started off the game pretty well. I didn't I didn't necessarily love it, but I liked what he brought to the table in the absence of Massie Smith. I think there's a path for him in the future to be able to get some reps this season. So those are the three guys that really stood out, you know, as far as guys that maybe didn't.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sure we'll get into that.
Speaker 5: But the receiver position, man, it feels like there's a different guy every game.
Speaker 7: So yeah, and I think, you know, when you start to talk about the receiving position, I felt like that when you looked at Jalen Cropper, I felt like that he was going into this game, was ahead of the other receivers. I kind of feel like the group is now swished or shrunk, if you want to say, he could have gone out there and taken this job, and I don't feel like that he did that.
Speaker 3: And so now you've got some others.
Speaker 7: They've tried the Racy mcmaths and others. They they might have two catches, they might have four catches. And then you watch the special Teams tape and all of a sudden, Racy McMath is playing right flyer and they run him down there and then he gets blocked inside and now the ball's going up the sidelines for a big play. They're trying to figure this thing out. You mentioned with I mentioned with Cropper the fumble you know on the return. They're trying to play these guys in special teams roles to see.
Speaker 3: If they're going to work out, and unfortunately.
Speaker 7: I think Cropper has brought this thing back to where this game against the Chargers, if you're depending on if you keep five or six receivers, this thing's really an open competition. There's gonna be some decisions they're going to have to be made there. My guys that I liked, I will say this, I've got as I've seen from camp and some of the work I've got. John Stevens is my second tight end here behind Ferguson. But I'll say this, and I'll say it from this way. Ferguson and Schoonmaker better blocking in this game, much better.
Speaker 3: When they've had in the past than they've had in the past.
Speaker 7: You were worried some about now Stevens had a play where it was the toss and it went for a negative play that you know, he's just got to understand if it's coming to your side, you got to work your hips around. You got to pin that guy to the inside and don't get beat the way he did. I think there was a little bit of indecision on his part, but Other than that, some of the backside blocks that he had, some of the point of attack blocks, the combination blocks that Luke's Schoonmaker and say in a Guidon were able to make to get to allow a deuced fawn to maybe sneak up inside or bounce to the outside because of some of that work. So I really did like what the tight ends were able to do real.
Speaker 3: Quick this way.
Speaker 6: On that twelve yard run that Duce had, I think it was his first run. Was that on that play, was that John Stevens that had his guy like five yards down the field?
Speaker 3: They had there was there was the.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to think of that the exact player you're talking about, But Stevens had a couple of blocks where he was into his guy and it was and there was that movement downfield. The first run of the game was with scoon Maker and uh and actually Geyton they were able to get their guy off the off the balls.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about that.
Speaker 6: It was the play where Duce had the run around the right side, but he kind of went up into the line and he kind of broke out to the right and went I think it was a twelve yard run.
Speaker 4: But on that play.
Speaker 6: It seemed like I saw John Stevens with this guy way down the field.
Speaker 7: He did a he did a much better job than the thing was Stevens big improvement there. Schoonmaker they had a deal with they got in space where they were in that play. We've seen this play a thousand times with Dak where they used to bring Galted Schultz in front and he would lead on the RPO.
Speaker 2: And Schoonmaker, Wift and Scheamaker.
Speaker 7: Got out in space and you know he's got a plaster that guy and try and knock him to the sidelines. He kind of got a little bit a little wonky there in space, and You're like thinking, okay, man, if you get that block, maybe it's a turn up and a little bit more yards. But overall, I'm just looking at these point of attack blockers for these tight ends, and I thought, for the most part, this group wasn't as poor as we've seen him before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I could shut off the offensive line. You look at Cooper bb Man a phenomenal game that he had building on that Week one performance, you know was Week one perfect no, but I felt like he laid some really good groundwork going into Week two. Man, I think coming out of this game, we have Cooper BB maybe taking the edge in that center battle. I think we're gonna have that one really come down to the wire coming out of Week three. But I mean, if it's a situation where the coaches look at it and they say, Okay, if we give Cooper BB reps early in the season and maybe he's not where brock Kauffman is right now, let's just say that's the thought, then who's to say he won't be exceeding those expectations by at the end of the year. And I think that's where youth could probably benefit Cooper b B a little bit more. But you know, I still do believe in brock Kaufman. I still think that is a guy who's capable of being a starting center. But you look at BB and what he's been bringing to the table and how he has continuously been getting better as the weeks have gone on, that's big time stuff. And then you look at Tyler Geiden, also a really strong game. But I think the more reps that he puts out there, the less I'm feeling confident about his hand place. His hands are super wide, yeah, and they come around like almost in the biceps of edge guys. You know, I want to see him get up in the chess played a little bit more. I mean, you look at guys like Miles Garrett, who he's going to see week one. If he comes right into his chest play, that's going to be a little bit different for him. So I want to see him maybe adjust the hands a little bit better because that's going to buy him at some point. But overall, I mean, you see the strength, you see the power, and sometimes that overwhelms a bad technique.
Speaker 7: Man that I'm so glad you pointed that out, because there were like four or five clips where I looked at it, and I'm like, his technique right now is but hands outside and then trying to reset. He's such a good foot athlete that if he gets a little forward he can recover. But there's a lot of times you see those hands. You see those white gloves on the outside shoulders of those black jerseys that the Raiders were wearing the other day, and I was thinking, like, man, he is going to They're gonna coach him up on this, But you're absolutely right, hands on that breastplate for control.
Speaker 3: When you get hands.
Speaker 7: Outside, that gives the defender the opportunity to get to your body, and the really really good defenders will take you and they'll grab you and pull you out of the way there.
Speaker 2: And so if you're lucky.
Speaker 3: If you're lucky, if you're lucky.
Speaker 7: The thing with Beebie, there was only one time I saw on the second level, and you might remember he went the ball went to the left, and he was he went to an area where the defender was instead of where he was going to be. And the second time around they ran the play, he got it right. So it's like, Okay, I made a mistake the first time I ran out there and the guy beat me across. Now I know, okay, I've got to go a little bit further in front cut that guy off, and then it allowed the play to develop. But I thought, over all the young guys and shout out though two and we don't give it much of a shout out to a guys Matt will let's go play that whole game at right tackle, and so shout out to him that was That was not an easy task, dealing with Crosby and those guys out there. It wasn't pretty, but he managed to play the whole game he took one for the team. He's probably gonna have to take another one for the team on Saturday against the Chargers, but shout out to him for the effort he had.
Speaker 5: I really do think the offensive line top to bottom played really well in that game against the Raiders. Awesome Richards. I felt like I had an awesome day to at left guard. He feels natural there. I mean, you look at his body type.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that they think he's a better tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't see it yet.
Speaker 5: They also think Chumy Dooga is a better tackle, he's a better guard. So I'm not one hundred percent sure.
Speaker 2: I an not buying that one up. Yeah I know.
Speaker 5: So I like what I like what Austin Richards brings to the table in the interior. I hope they can let him kind of develop there. But top to bottom, I really liked that offensive line performance, no sacks allowed, running game was getting some lanes. I liked what I saw.
Speaker 6: So if you guys had to name one player that going into this final game against the Chargers needs a great performance in order to give himself a shot to be able to make this team, who would it be.
Speaker 5: A shot? Can I give one offense, one defense on offense. I'm gonna go with Tyron Billy Johnson. Yeah, you know, you look at this receiver battle and that last spot. You know, Jalen Cropper had his opportunity last week, Ryan Flanoy had his opportunity this week. I think it's the Tyron Billy Johnson opportunity going into the Chargers game.
Speaker 2: It's his former team as well.
Speaker 5: So maybe a little bit of banks there that he'll be able to take into that one. But he's he's played only roughly two or three series in each game and he's only had one target and zero receptions. You know, I would have to assume that they want to get Tyron Billy Johnson involved in a little bit more. You know, I was able to touch some folks last week and it just kind of happened as a natural game plan went on. You know that they were focusing in on Tyrn Billy Johnson against the Rams, and I see similar situations that were rising from the Raiders. But there was it was a couple of instances where you know, he was getting opened downfield, but it was outside.
Speaker 2: The numbers and Trey Lance.
Speaker 5: You know, he hasn't been really pushing it downfield like that, so especially early in games, and that's when Tyron Billy Johnson has had his opportunities on the defense side of the ball. I think it's Eric Scott. He needs to have a good game. You look at keem On Hall again, I think he's pushing for a roster spot at this point. You look at Andrew Booth obviously is going to have a roster spot. So I think, if you're Eric Scott, you need to have a really good game on Saturday and I prove that you're worthy of having a fifty three spot real quick.
Speaker 6: You just said Booth is gonna have a spot. So you think at this point both is in.
Speaker 2: No matter what I think he is, I think he is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I to me, it's I like what you did with Eric Scott there. I think that maybe Eric Scott's fate might already be sealed. I'm gonna throw a name out there that people are gonna like, what are you talking about? Broad Us Albert Huggins a defensive tackle. He was not very good against the Rams in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: A pushover.
Speaker 7: If you will a pushover, all you have to do is put a put a polo, put a rams polo on a quarterback of the other team, and he might have a shot. But I'm gonna say I think Albert Huggins, they're trying to kind of figure out this defensive tackle rotation. I think they're trying to figure out the three technique stuff too. You know, we'll see with with Phillips, he plays a lot of three.
Speaker 3: He might be playing more one.
Speaker 7: But I kind of feel like though that he showed enough, flashed enough that you would think that maybe maybe they would keep him around because of he does have some flexibility, but he did show some pass rush ability, he did show some ability to play the run. He had a terrible like I say that the practice out here with all that went down, But he's a guy that when you watch him play those flash players, you see it in his game. So I I do feel like though, too, that we're battling for that that last corner spot.
Speaker 3: You know you mentioned Eric Scott.
Speaker 7: I think that you could talk about haul in there, and maybe I don't know how you guys feel about mcuamu, but I think he's.
Speaker 3: Kind of in that mix too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 7: And so there's the receivers, defensive linemen, and then the defensive back, especially at corner. I think are all there's still stuff to be playing for Saturday.
Speaker 2: I'll say this about Huggins. You know that whole situation.
Speaker 5: I mean, if he didn't have a legitimate shot I'm making the roster, they would have cut him after that situation. Yeah, so I do think there is a legitimate opportunity for him on the table. He's gonna have to go out there and grab it on Saturday.
Speaker 6: The interesting thing about mcwammala, I think is that he has a little bit of a position flex, and I don't know that there are a lot of guys that have that kind of position flex.
Speaker 7: But okay, now when you say position flex, I think we feel good about the safeties, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Position flex means he can play corner, could play safety.
Speaker 3: I think they're taking care of it safety.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 7: I think I'm looking for the pure corner guy now is what I'm looking at. You know, his metrics the other day in that game, they threw four targets at him and they were no catches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, he's.
Speaker 7: Quietly kind of he has those moments where you're you're playing games where the separation is not big, the tight window throws or tight window throws with him, he's he's got a lot of the metrics and things that you really really like in a corner. But the position flegs part. Man, I'm looking at the team now, I'm looking at a team that's got some safeties. I don't know if you have to have the position flex with him.
Speaker 6: Well, but they may only decide that they want to keep four of those safeties. And if you keep four of them, as we know as.
Speaker 3: Well, they could go six and four.
Speaker 6: My point is, if you keep four of those, all it takes is one game or two games where you lose two guys and all of a sudden you are strapped. Having that guy who has the abilities over there. You're right, especially if you think he's a good corner as well. Right, that does add some value to your team that that you may have, especially if he can play special team on top of that.
Speaker 5: In addition, he was getting a lot of Nickel reps in that game on Saturday. El that's I think. Whatever you look at. Oh no, he yes, secondary versatility, he could play any spot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, he gets That's the thing about there's a lot of positive things about him, and I always felt like he had one foot in the parking lot. He was kind of like nay Sean Wright to me. You know, They're like, Okay, it's yere four. You know, here we go. What do you got going here? And so it makes a lot of sense, though, all right, we're gonna take our final break.
Speaker 6: We'll come back and I'm gonna go through some of these positions, and I want to get some ideas from you guys on not only what you saw, but kind of where you see things shaking out with some of these guys, some of these names you've already mentioned. We want to put it in context from the position standpoint, what do that.
Speaker 4: When we come back? Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 14: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 14: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy Lipbam. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 4: If you can't be at the stadium.
Speaker 10: There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LGO led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 4: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is.
Speaker 10: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one it comes close.
Speaker 10: Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at lg dot com. Slash o Leadevil.
Speaker 16: From the field of the festivities, Lucasey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you for d deals.
Speaker 4: Back to the Break.
Speaker 2: At and C connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: Here we go Welcome back.
Speaker 4: It is the final segment of the Break.
Speaker 6: We are alive from Oxnard, California, and it is our final segment here in Oxnar before we head back.
Speaker 4: It's been a it's been a good camp.
Speaker 6: It's been a really good camp so far, and I think we've gotten a lot done. I think this team has gotten a lot done. There are a lot of things that were kind of hazy I think going into camp that I think have cleared up a lot for me. Yeah, from the standpoint of where I'm looking at this team and where what I think their their possibilities are, that's fair.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 5: I'll look on the defensive side of the ball and compared to where I came in into camp with the with the idea of Mike Zimmer's first year defense, compared to what I'm coming out with, I feel really confident that this is a better unit, you know, on this team, and I'm not I'm sure I could have said that coming in experience.
Speaker 2: Depth.
Speaker 5: I think depth is probably the biggest thing, and that that second level, the linebacker replace.
Speaker 6: That it was it linebackers and what changes its defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the linebackers will make this run defense better.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, But you say the depth because a lot of depth went out the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like the depth that went out the door?
Speaker 7: The Armstrongs, the foulers, the curses, those kinds of guys you think that they've replaced or they've shown enough obviously had because you think it's it's something they've gotten better.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say they've necessarily replaced the edge depth or the defensive tackle depth because you lose guy like Hankins too. That's certainly a part of that. I still have some questions up front, don't get me wrong, but they are doing.
Speaker 2: A lot to address those bodies.
Speaker 5: They're going and getting carlast and they're going and trading for Jordan Phillips. You know, they're being proactive in that in that sense, and I think that second level is just going to be able to help out the entire defense. I really do feel like the linebackers that they have added, not only from getting over shown back from injury, but Kendricks and free agency, drafting, leafl and the steps that he's taken in his rookie minute camp. I feel really good about the entire defense because of that unit.
Speaker 7: I like to thank Dan Quinn for something, you know, and maybe this is the wrong way of doing it, but thank you for not taking.
Speaker 3: Al Harris with you.
Speaker 7: No doubt, I think Al Harris has been the guy that I really love watching coach. I think these these the secondary has responded to him. I think Mike Zimmer never have coached with him. Known Al Harris from his days in Green Bay and playing in those kinds of things.
Speaker 3: I think you have to respect.
Speaker 7: He is a guy that he he shows emotion, he shows passion, he's these guys respond to him the way he coaches. He's not a yeller, screamer guy. But man, when his kids make plays, he's with them, he's you know, he's fired up for him.
Speaker 3: But these guys are playing in the right spot. The safety room I think is better.
Speaker 7: The corners look better that just the way the techniques and stuff. You can bring guys in off the street. Bring a trade for a guy booth and what he ends up with eight tackles.
Speaker 3: He has to he has.
Speaker 7: To cover, but you throw him in the mix and now all of a sudden, he's making plays with the thought of, hey, he's made my team, that kind of thing. So I really do like what they, you know, coming out of camp, what I've seen, how the defensive staff has really come together here with that. And I'll say this also too, I feel like though that these the young Lionean, I think we got to where we were all thinking this journey was going to go. We'll see if the final the final chapter is BBS the starting center. But I kind of think we're getting towards the end of that novel that you're gonna get what we thought coming out of the draft show that you're going to get the left tackle and the center, and so I think that's something that that I was looking forward to seeing. I think we're getting to that point.
Speaker 6: You know when you look at this defense, and you kind of mentioned this, but when I look at it, I think, Okay, you lost curse. I think Bell is every bit is capable of this curse, maybe even more capable.
Speaker 3: Cover guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shut out, I think he may be even more capable. I heard you say this the other day, Brian about Phillips. Phillips is with a little more pass rush. Yeah, on paper, so if he is on paper, if he is on the field, what we think he is on paper, Again, you've you've maybe gotten better at that position than you were before. I think these linebackers are appreciably better than what they were last year, mainly because of injury. When you lost Ladon Vanders that was a huge hit. I think they have even proved there you get Trayvon Back. I think you look at this defense and you can you can make the argument even with the loss of Armstrong and Fouler, you can make the argument this defense is going to be better than it.
Speaker 4: Was last year.
Speaker 6: That's something I didn't know going into training camp, and now I feel a lot better about the defense. I think at this point the real issue is just going to be the pass rush. Are you going to be able to get the pass rush from the guys that are new to this to this defense that you didn't have last You know, Michael is going to be Michael, you know Tank's going to be Tank?
Speaker 3: N What is your rotation look like?
Speaker 4: And that actually leads me to that position.
Speaker 6: When you talk about the edge guys Kneelan, Goldston, Fejoko, the guys that played this last week, what did you see from them this last week. From the standpoint of pass rush, was it better than what you saw the game before?
Speaker 4: Is pretty much the same? And are you at all.
Speaker 6: Concerned about the level of pass rush you're gonna get from these guys?
Speaker 2: For me, it was pretty much the same.
Speaker 5: You know, I still like what Marshall Neeland was doing in the run game specifically, but from a pass rush perspective, I didn't see a whole lot of push being generated from that edge group.
Speaker 2: Granted, you get.
Speaker 5: Karl Lawson, you can see what maybe he can bring to the table as early as this Saturday. Al Kadi Muhammad, I think the more snaps and more reps that he gets in the system, I think he's going to be a beneficial addition to that room. But all in all, I need to see more from that edge group behind Michael Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence because I'm theorizing a situation where you're playing, you know, Baltimore in Week three and you're about to get off the field on third down.
Speaker 2: It's third and five. You can't make a stop, Okay, that rotation unit needs to come in. It's first and ten.
Speaker 5: They're at the fifty and then that rotation unit can't get any pressure on Lamar Jackson and there's another big play right there on first down, so they need a.
Speaker 2: Good rotational set.
Speaker 5: I'm hoping that Karl Lawson can be one of those guys as well as al Kadie Muhammad. I love what Mohammed's done out here. I think he's gonna make this team and be asked to play quite a bit. So those are the two guys I'm looking at step up, and obviously Marshall Neiland too.
Speaker 3: And that's where I think we disagree a little bit. I think it's gonna come down to wheat or Muhammet's wheat. Yeah, and I and I nothing I know. I'm just watching.
Speaker 7: Is they very well could go with the veteran guy with Muhammad, you know, I just think that the fact that they've kept Weed around and you know, he's been in the system and stuff, that maybe they feel like, Okay, here's a guy that we when they both have that ability when it to come off the ball, they both have the ability, but they just don't always finish.
Speaker 3: That's the thing about it.
Speaker 7: I think that's the biggest thing with the pass RUSS or the lack of that we haven't seen here is where have been those finished? There's been times the Rams I think got the ball out quick. You know, the Raiders the other day weren't interested in holding the ball very much either. They really weren't accurate throwing the ball either. It didn't matter, I mean.
Speaker 3: The pressure were. They were all over the place throwing the ball.
Speaker 5: The one advantage to your argument is that Tyres Sweet has a special teams experience and I think he's a better special teams player.
Speaker 7: See that to me, And I appreciate you bringing that up because we've seen what Bone Fossil has done. And I know we were on break and I was mentioning about roster spots and I was talking about good one, you know, and I'm thinking, and we're really going to have to put a young quarter on the on the street because I have a core special.
Speaker 3: Teams guy that I think is okay.
Speaker 7: Now, they'll argue with me, they'll fight with me all day and they'll say, hey, you're wrong about he brings this this this, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this day and age can unless that guy's like that guy at New England that was a Hall of Fame.
Speaker 7: You know, special teams player Bill Bates or something like you know Les, it's that type of guy. If you're a difference maker, I get it. But do we have a difference maker? Is a difference maker keeping me from you know, keeping me from having a corner here?
Speaker 3: How much?
Speaker 6: How much has the change and the kickoff rules affected that?
Speaker 4: Because you still need.
Speaker 6: That guy that can go down there as a gunner on punt, but as a kick when you don't have to worry about that in the kick game, like that, does that change thing?
Speaker 7: I think your most important people are the three guys, the snapper, the snapper.
Speaker 3: The punter, and the kicker.
Speaker 7: I think everybody else is you try and find ways. Yeah, if you've got a if you've got a badass special teams guy that doesn't can't play any of their positions, I get it having that guy, I get it. But I think it has changed if all of a sudden a roster spot on this team is taken by.
Speaker 3: A guy that is he's a core guy. We love him, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 7: If you if I saw a difference maker every play that he was on the field, I would say, yeah, I'm not gonna argue with you, I'm not sure. I see a difference maker every time I strap it up here and look at it, and that's that would that would bother me as a as a personal guy in the room, is like, Okay, why I'm arguing I can't keep one of my safeties. I can't keep a wide receiver, I can't keep one of these backs because I have a core guy that's a good player, but not a difference maker. That that's that's when team building, to me, gets a little hairy with special teams coaches.
Speaker 3: You know, that's my opinion on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sitting here thinking about it and trying to think about his his preseason usage as well, and I think not seeing a whole lot of them in the preseason kind of tells you that, you know, they're expecting him to be on the roster whenever cut day does come around. But it's fascinating they're going to use him.
Speaker 7: Is they're gonna use him as that piece where they cut down. The rules have changed. You can put two I R guys on I've learned that today and get him back that kind of thing. But they're going to use him as that veteran invested veteran like him, the snapper, the punter, if they need spots all you know, good when those guys are going to be and then two days and then they'll be back. They're gonna play the yo yo game with these guys. But to me in team building, if you could tell me, if you could tell me, he is an absolute difference maker. I mean, one of the best cover guys you had last year with Sam Williams as a gunner. On the other side, Sam Williams good or bad, made more plays than what good one man. And if you're I'm sure somebody in the organization will walk up to me and say you're full of asks, Brian, and I'm like, fine, but I'm just if he's making every single tackle out there or he's doing you know, then okay, show me show me that.
Speaker 6: All right, that's a wrap. We appreciate you guys, this entire camp. We appreciate you tuning in, catching us every other day. We'll be back in Frisco next week. We'll be on on Tuesday next week, Tuesday and Thursday next week. I think cut down Day will happen sometime next week. I'm not sure exactly what you today, but actually we'll be covering all of that, and then we'll get into the season. We'll get into our regular episodes every single day August twenty seventh, that's cut.
Speaker 2: Week from today.
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 4: A week from today?
Speaker 6: Okay, so next Tuesday off cut, so we'll be covering that. We'll have some some content for you guys, as we always do, and then we'll get into that that next week, week of Labor Day, that's when we'll start our daily shows every day starting that Tuesday, Tuesday through Friday that week, getting you ready for the open of the twenty twenty four seas Until then for Brian brought us Nick Harris. We appreciate you guys. You want us here live on Dallas Cowboys The Break.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.