Speaker 1: Howard, my dad was te vowed by an utility vehicle and isn't surgery. Now what should I do?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to hear about that.
Speaker 3: It's really great that you're getting him the medical care and treatment that he needs right now. These are three important things that I think you need to know. Injuries are unexpected and turn lives upside down. I'm Howard Ankin, and I'm here to help. If you are a loved one. I have been heard at work for in a car truck to write your accident called three one two six million injury law made personal.
Speaker 2: That's aken law.
Speaker 4: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox Talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Sox Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Sox Machine Podcast. I'm your host Josh Nelson, and we're recording this episode of Monday Night, July sixth, twenty twenty six. I just got back from mini vacation in Philadelphia where it felt like one hundred and fifteen degrees a week before LB's All Star Game, so hopefully won't be that hot for James, who will be in Philadelphia covering the All Star game festivities for us at Sox Machine. But the White Sox know who their all Star is. Let's go to be Miguel Vargas. We'll talk more about that later in the show. But for the Chicago White Sox, what's a very tough and dare I say intense four game series that they had against the Cleveland Guardians gents in Cleveland and James, I'll start with you, like, what's your biggest takeaway from the White Sox splitting these four games against the Guardians with.
Speaker 2: The nature of their offense, especially when they get going, and I think it's probably like a glass half full look of that comes with like them winning the last two games is like, man, when they looks like they're playing up to like their level, it seems like they have a level of like offensive firepower that the Guardians can't match that. So the Guardians are obviously playing with that. Josara Maris and you know they played I think maybe an over arching thing is like they've played you know what, six one run games, five something in that territory. Like mostly it just seems like they're very evenly matched. All these games are going to be like battles and back and forth. The Guardians have really given their bullpen like a lot of trouble. They've clearly prepared for like what they want to do against Grant Taylor pretty well. Uh, in terms of what they want to sit on. It still seems like and like if the Socks are able to like at a deadline or you know, do something to enhance the rotation or the bullpen, like, it feels like they should be like a click away from being more successful in the sense of like you can see that like when they hit for power that that's kind of like a level that the Guardians can't get to. That said, the Guardians have obviously like been successful at getting them to not play that or not suppressing that, so where they're not in that tour type of game that often but certainly just as close as Sunday was like just a seven to six ball game was like not what they usually want to play against the White Sox. And I think at least in terms of like being optimistic to them for the end of season, like seeing that I guess was representative or at least encouraging to some degree and not to like spoil another talking point like later in the show. But like they certainly can't handle Anthony k and they certainly, I think have a limited weapons against left handed pitching, So like something like ka nukom or just like adding another left handed arm to the mix, whether it's a rotation or the bullpen at the deadline, like is another weapon that would be good against them. So I think mostly it's just kind of have been. These teams are clearly probably pretty eavily matched or they're probably going to be like grappling in anxiety inducing contests till the end. That said, like it seems like a finished version of this White Sox team when they're hitting at their best, like at least play a type of game that the Guardians can't match. That said, like the Guardians have an awesome farm system their office. They're awesome at like run prevention. Maybe this time next year, like Angel Nao and Ralphie Vasquez, you know, or Alaskaz have you know, totally altered this conversation about how much offensive firepower Cleveland has. And this is just a moment in time, but so probably the safer thing to say it is just like it looks like these are two high eighties win teams that are going to like grapple it out in ugly mud wrestling Ale Central type.
Speaker 1: Fashion out in the Warning Track in Cleveland, right, Jim, If they're going to be mud wrestling, that's will they're do it. I still can't believe all the rank Cleveland and how messy that situation the Warning Track was on Sunday. But Jim, what was your big takeaway from the White Sox series split against the Guardians.
Speaker 5: Yeah, two.
Speaker 6: Guess incomplete rosters or rosters missing a big piece that's like a defined part of their strengths. Like when you know Murakami is out, you know it's one big missing cog, one less player that Will Venable has to worry about replacing mid game, and so you know, the mixing and matching can get like a little bit wonky when he's not in there. Then you know, with the Guardians missing Jose Ramirez and that feeling pretty uh present aside from Stephen Kwan having a renaissance series against the White Sox and and getting on base and working counts the way that he hasn't for a lot of the season. Uh, but yeah, two teams designed to drive each other nuts. I think, Uh, the Guardians typically more polish than the White Sox, the White Sox showing an ability to overcome mistakes the way they couldn't in previous years with a little bit more firepower to where.
Speaker 5: They can't be counted out.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I don't see any reason why unless like something hinges of the deadline where the White Sox decided to really push for it and the Guardians you remain conservative and Ramiro doesn't come back like himself to where the White Sox can pull away like based on the talent on hand, I think the Guardians formula is to established to say that they will perform to the level of their name brand value, that they always overachieve or they always find solutions as they go with to fix the plane in the air.
Speaker 5: But I think the White Sox.
Speaker 6: Are you know, they have a level of punch that they haven't had before and a little bit more either resilience or ignorance or depth just to be able to shake off like two ugly innings. Like two ugly innings defensively against the Guardians would have buried them like nine to two in previous years, whereas they were able to win that one seven to six, even though they gave the Guardians like four or five extra outs.
Speaker 5: So I think that's something they can feel.
Speaker 6: Slightly embarrassed about but ultimately good about that they have a little bit more resourcefulness than they haven't had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you, Jim, because winning those last two games I thought showed a lot of character for this White Sox team, because in the manner that they lost the first two, the walk off to run homer by Brian Rochio off Grant Taylor, which that's who the White Sox want, and the ninth inning they want Grant Taylor to try to close that save. That's a heartbreaker. Then losing the next night, went ahead three to one in ten innings, another heartbreaker. I feel like the past three seasons of the White Sox version, Jim, they would have been swept. They would have lost Saturday, and they would have lost Sunday. And it's a big sigh. We come into this episode talking about four straight losses. But for this White Sox team to bounce back the way that they did to win three to one behind Shawn Berke. Phenomenal start by Seawan Burke to strike out eleven, didn't walk any over six innings. That's exactly what the White Sox needed to respond like that and to be able to hold off the Guardians and score the.
Speaker 5: Game winning run.
Speaker 1: Even though it was ugly with one out and the ball didn't leave the infield, they at least got that run to grind that out and come away with a series split. Leading the season series against Cleveland. Now that's very important four games to three. I think that is huge and feels more optimism that the White Sox are just not going to fade this season. James, and I know, we bring up the All Star Game, and we bring up the trade deadline coming up, and a lot of those things overshadow the MLB draft, But the MB drafts more of the future versions of the Chicago White Sox team. But I feel like some people around Major League Baseball are kind of putting in side bets thinking that the White Sox will fade. But after this weekend, as you mentioned, with the firepower that they have and just the amount of youth that's on the team, I'm just not seeing that, James. That's my biggest takeaway from this weekend is the ability for them to fight back get this series split just gives me more optimism that They're not going to fade in the second half.
Speaker 2: I mean they could. They're pitching is a little bit like paying by a threat in some respects.
Speaker 1: You know, who is it in the American League, to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess like my larger point is less like, oh man, this is such a rock solid team. There's no flaws. Sure, no way I could see it falling.
Speaker 1: Part.
Speaker 2: It's more just like not seeing a huge like I certainly don't like Detroit just had like one of the best Junes of anybody or thirty games and there's still like ten under five hundred. Yeah, Toronto has not look like they have another gear. I don't think, like to visit to Baltimore really like struck a lot of fear in everyone's heart's about like that team getting together, Like Boston's been better, but certainly is still a long way to go, and you really don't know like when they're exactly going to get like Garrett Crochet and Roman Anthony back or and what sort of like shape that would take. Just not seeing anyone outside of Seattle in the als and obviously they haven't been like great all year. Who looks like I'm sure Texas like they're around. They could be a possibility. I just don't see like this big like ground swell of like AL teams they're about to turn it on in some big way. Obviously could be wrong, certainly not like Forever to go for you know, a team like Toronto or Texas or Houston to catch the White Sox and the wildcard race. But it just doesn't feel like they're barely hanging on to some sort of lead with like vastly more talented teams are going to be pushing them down the stretch. That could change, but like the Twins are one of the best offices in the AL statistically, and it's one of the closest teams to them, And like, I don't does anyone really think the Twins are gonna take on like a big second half lead, Like even directionally, it's more likely like the big gesture they would have was be the stan pat rather than add so right, I'm sure like that clip would play great the Twins, like you know, play six hundred ball down the stretch and like as they're announcing they clinched like I got like put in a Guardian's montage in twenty twenty two at some point. But it's more just like not seeing right now, like which team is gonna like catch this like new level play, and like really like push them all the way out of the playoff pictures. There's more why I think. I think they look as good as anyone as far as like that mix of teams.
Speaker 6: The Yankees lost seven in a row, so I mean, I can't even figure out them, or like the good teams the Rays are again the Rays like they're like maybe a level up on the Guardians to where you just trust that they're gonna be ninety ish wins no matter what kind of talent they have at any given time. But yeah, the Yankees basically turning a three game or four game lead into a three game.
Speaker 5: Deficits over the course of two weeks.
Speaker 6: Even that division, which I felt like I had somewhat of a handle on, I don't.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's it's a mess.
Speaker 1: Hell, the White Sox will taking advantage of it, which is great to say that White Sox are on bar with the Guardians. That's that's great from a White Sox perspective. Nobody, I don't think even us, anyone that covers the White Sox was expecting that in twenty twenty six, so len Caster, I thought it put it well in the radio broadcast to clinch the victory on Sunday, a series split that really feels like a series win for the White Sox. Now to get into the nitty gritty because some of the things that we saw in Cleveland are going to impact this upcoming homestand for the White Sox before the All Star break, and the All Star break is coming at a much needed time for many teams around Major League Baseball because we are seeing pitching staffs and bullpends just being gassed right now. And when we did our preview of this series in our previous episode, we talked a lot about on how will Ventable would use Grant Taylor and Sean Newcomb. We knew that if the White Sox we're gonna split the series or trying to win this series, that those two would have to come through. And James, I feel like we saw the best of Grant Taylor and Shawn Newcomb in this series, and also the hiccups that sometimes happens in just the game of baseball, even if you are a very good reliever. And I'm wondering because we saw the hiccups early in the series for both Taylor and Newcom, but they were able to both ounce back. Taylor closed the win on Saturday. Newcomb closed the win on Sunday. Can relievers build off good performances or is that just really like starting pitchers that get into rhythm and relievers just have to men in black themselves and stare at the lights and wipe out their memory just to get ready for the next day.
Speaker 2: I think certainly when you establish like what things work or what keys like get you in the right place, I think that builds, you know, momentum, or at least could like allows you to string together consistent outings for sure. I mean Newcomb's outing where he gave up the walk off, like he gave up two ground balls or three ground balls. It wasn't like a man what's broken here type of outing a little bit whereas like I just thinking, granted, Taylor is like a little bit similar to Sir Anthony Amingas where he's just like it's just super long, like he gets so much extension. It's just like a very long delivery, and like it can be difficult for the time up. And I think you see him like I mean and like his frame for a little bit, and it's about like one just how overwhelming he is or just how quickly he snaps back into control that you know he can kind of get out of it a bit more. I think Newcomb has been pretty consistent, you know, throughout the season, or certainly the most consistent believer they've had. And if anything, I just with both of them, like because Tailor's like in unprecedented workload territory for him, just because like his professional career has been so short and Nucomb as much as he like said he did it last year, Like what he's doing is hard. There's a reason, like not a bunch of other earlievers are just logging like ninety five inning seasons all the time, Like it's kind of a season like uh Mike Assel had last season. And then obviously like that comes to some physical wear to it. So the idea that he'd be erratic at all while he's just like on a ninety five inning pace I think is like I think we've gotten less than but he would be understanding allotted as far as like oddings where he looked off like there's so much horizontal action on those pitches, like he really has to like if he's like if his targets are off, like it's going to miss by a lot a little bit, And in terms of what he's setting, like he's really got to like if he wants to like paint that slur, he's really gonna be like trusting it to bend from like the left handed batter's box a lot. So yeah, I think there's gonna be I don't think like I mean, Taylor's obviously had some high profile blow ups and like he's getting like the highest the most dangerous part of the batting order in the most like high leverage moment of the game like all the time. Like that's kind of like the trick of being more open minded about where the leverage opportunities are is that they've managed to make your top reliever's job even harder than it was when he had the pitch ninth inning every single time. So yeah, he's had some profile and that I wouldn't say like he's been more erratic than like your typical high leverage like good high leverage believer in something like crazy way. At least it's not in like a Sir Anthony way where like I've seen him be like this guy needs get moved out of spot, like he's he's had some rough outings, but I generally like have thought like this guy looks really good even when he's struggling throughout. So I think it's more about depth of options when one guy looks off or just like not having to work guys like as hard in a single series when you have like both your best leverage options are also these multiinting weapons that you want to get two innings out of every time, like a three game series when you have a couple of close games and it like can get kind of hairy of how you want to use them, and just like more options to get a single inning when they need it. I think it's really what like is needed for this bullpen, like at the deadline in a way that could maybe make the inconsistencies of any one guy a bit more easy to deal with and without being like I feel like it's more structurally addressing the bullpen than like figure out what's going on Grant Taylor week to week when I think he's going through like a normal amount of variance a guy in his first full season.
Speaker 1: No, those are good points, James and both Grant Taylor and Sean do come deserve a much needed day off. But to bigg back off, James point, do the White Sox need to find a third option. Let's talk about what was originally designed as the first option. And I think when you look at this four game series, Jim, like Trevor Richards got a lot of innings, Chris Murphy got a lot of innings. Sir Anthony Dominguez a third of an inning. One appearance, he got one out on sixteen pitches. That's the only time we saw him in these four games for the White Sox. And he had an opportunity to help out and to steal that win on Friday and just couldn't get the job done. And now I'm wondering, Jim, I'm just gonna put it out there. Maybe I'm off base, but I feel like that there is a trust issue between Will Venable and Sarantony Domingus. I can't blame Will for having trust issues with Siranty to Dimingus. I think every White Sox fan at this moment has trust issues with Sirante to Domingus. But I don't know in how the White Sox move forward right now with his struggles other than well, if the White Sox are down four in the eighth inning, here comes Sirante Domingus. I feel like that's also not a great time to use him as well. So I don't know how the White Sox move forward right now with this sticky situation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's a it's a trust issue, just I guess it would be more that Domingas hasn't been trustworthy and so Venable. I think if maybe he's handling a little bit awkwardly, you know, it's a big salary, I guess, and he does. You know, he's trying to be delicate about it. But also if you're so delicate about it, it makes it sound like he's not willing to acknowledge it. And so it's maybe not a trust issue so much between Venable and Domingos, but maybe could lead to a lack of trust between Venable and the fan base or who's watching the game to kind of understand to think along with him. And I think, you are you seeing the same thing we're seeing, And.
Speaker 5: I think he's trying to be delicate about.
Speaker 6: It, but yeah, it is reaching a point to where you know there needs to be something more definitive like you tried to get a sixth ending appearance. It kind of worked, but then you know, it didn't get him back on the bike exactly. He toppled over his next chance where he could have really.
Speaker 5: Impacted a game.
Speaker 6: So it is getting awkward, or it has gotten awkward, and it does feel like the White Sox have a void. And you know, I was thinking about what James saying about Taylor and that you know, he's kind of occupying the role that Pedro Ruffoll gave to Reynaldo Lopez and Michael Kopek in terms of, you know, you're the best reliever, You're always facing the best part of the lineup, And I think it makes sense in isolation or like say in Big Series against Cleveland Direct, you know, competitors, But I also think like the one of the benefits of having the traditional seven eight, nine, one inning PERU reliever setup is that you do give some guys some breaks. Like the closer isn't always facing the toughest situation.
Speaker 5: Oftentimes he's facing the bottom.
Speaker 6: Of the order, but the you know, the the margin for error is smaller, so you get a little bit of a break in terms of, well, yeah, he's getting the ninth again, you know, for the fifth straight game, but he's also facing the lesser hitters, whereas in the eighth inning, you know, a picture doesn't need to be perfect necessarily.
Speaker 5: It's great if he is, but there are backup plans if he fails in the eighth inning. So having that setup kind.
Speaker 6: Of disperses the stress of not only like a game situation, but also I think just responsibilities. And I think the way it was originally set up with Domingez being the ninth inning is that if he's getting the safe situations and kind of like the glory, you're getting the salary for it, but also maybe not getting always the heart of the order, Like that's great because then Grant Taylor can be used in the seventh or the eighth or the seventh and eighth, and you know, Venable kind of has the ideal situation of Taylor's getting the important outs and Dimingas is getting the ones that you know they're also important, but they also you know, fulfill their role. Make it very easy to say he's a closer, but everybody's kind of getting what they want, and when Domingas isn't able to handle that, and it starts to undo work that the rest of the team has done to get the team in a spot where they're leading in the ninth inning.
Speaker 5: It does make it kind of hairy. So yeah, I am curious to see how.
Speaker 6: You know, both of them work their way out of this, how Dominga's you know, whether he improves, and if not, just exactly how definitively Venable says that, Hey, we're gonna need you know, Trevor Richards, You've been great, You're our h you know, our primary set up righty in front of Taylor because you have a new who's you know he I think he defies platoon splits or he defies like lefty righty matchups, say like Brian Hudson, Like he's, you know, Trevor Richards, you know now the Brian Hudson of this bullpen being the important right on right guy.
Speaker 1: James am I off base with my assessment of what's going on between Venable and Domingus.
Speaker 2: I think certainly like he's taking him out of.
Speaker 1: Even before NA like you've asked Venable straight up, is Domingus your closer? And I feel like Venable publicly has defended Dimingus and given him enough opportunities. I feel like this is more on Domingus than Venable.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's the one pitching, so right, I I he said, like I asked him about it, like I have to like the Karral walkoff in Cubs, But I feel like things became like clear or more obvious that like he was using tailor for like the most difficult stretch of game from that point on, and then like it more came to a head in the last Cleveland series of like blowing kind of the back to back save opportunities and just like, well, we tried to get you like good situations, like your overall performances like started to lag in a way that like we can kind of point you over a meaningful sample on top of like just kind of like clear just like scouting that this guy's like just not been in sync or getting editors in a way that like merits like trust him as your top guy for a while. And then to have like these kind of unambiguous like failures in the ninth inning allowed him to be like, all right, we're just straight up we're not even kind of hiding it through leverage usage in any like kind of crafty way. And you get a matchup against like a whatever, like bottom of the order or righty heavy pocket in the final three innings, that comes up sort of way where we're just taking on a leverage entirely. I feel like it's been a pretty like steady and response. Maybe not as quickly responsive as you know, fans of want, but like it's it's at least moved along at like a pace that's internally consistent even if he wanted to go faster in terms of like removing him from leverage, and like he had the good, like really low leverage outing and they like built him up a little bit in terms of like what his responsibility was with the assignment in Cleveland, and he failed it, and you probably imagine that the next one will be, you know, somebody back to like low leverage or you know, medium leverage or something like that. That said, like the way that they pulled him in Cleveland was like someone like to kind of give out after two walks. One of them like probably could have reversed if they had challenged it. And he's in a totally different situation. That's kind of like an individual game handling that represents like this is a guy that we don't trust right now or is we don't think is in a good spot right now, so we're not going to give him much rope. So that makes it seem like he's a bit farther away from really earning this back than like one or two good outings necessarily depending on how good they are. Certainly more than one, I would say, And but I think that's earned. And I think like at least the last time we checked him with Sir Anthony about it, he like felt that it was communicated to him, and he talked about it like it was something that was deserved. He didn't say something outright like I think, and I get this, but he's more like I, you know, sometimes when you're not good, you have to take a step back, like it was very this is okay with it. So saying like they have trust issues makes it sound like they're at odds in some way personally, which I couldn't like necessarily attest to. But the idea like, clearly he's pushed himself out of that closer role, even if it's like we're just holding this open for you until you get right, because which they can, because he's never going to unless he's pressed into it in some way anoint someone closer, Like, it's not like he needs to give that title to someone else. He clearly has no use of that title, and he can just keep it open to like once Sir Anthony's right again, it gets me called the closer again. So I wouldn't be surprised to do that. But in terms of like wha you're's currently at, I think they've proactively But it was interesting like the way we found out. We did a scrump with like Zach Bob and he's like someone floated the idea of hey, could he get lower average like innings as like a get right thing, and both says like, yeah, well that's under consideration, And at that point we hadn't heard that from Will Venables, so it kind of seemed like, well, is he just like saying that's a possibility or is he saying that's true? And then literally that game, Sir Anthony, pitch is like a low average pitches a six inning. So yeah, I think you're right in terms of like Will Venable has certainly not made some effort to like get out and officially announce this. It's not what he was trying to do here. It's just like I think they've graduated to lowering his leverage opportunities and lowering yours responsibilities in a way that becomes like impossible from the NY even if they're not trying to have like the official decoration he's the closer official declaration, he's not the closer type of communication with the public because really, like outside of this being kind of clearly an attraction that got him to sign with Chicago, I don't think that as necessarily like some need to fill this title in a major way. They kind of think like the leverage guys kind of probably have a way of figuring out their leverage. Guys like Grant Taylor probably has figured out that, you know, his responsibilities are pretty steep. They're not so execution minded that they're not aware of like the pecking order here, and I think they like to be pretty fluid with that, as evidence by Trevor Richards kind of working his way into that mix.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, well we're within a month of the trade deadline. So if de Mingus just does not excel in these upcoming opportunities, suddenly it's like Chris Scattz, do you need to go to the trade market? And Bush Deming is even further down the leverage ladder from the spot that he was already perched at the beginning of the season. So I know we asked out our first half grade. You could watch that video on her YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine. We gave Chris Catzon a because nobody expected the White Sox to be where they're at. But unfortunately for Chriscats' second biggest free agent contract signing after Mudatako Murakami and Sir Ante Di Mingus isn't panning out. Sean Newcome is I was a good signing by Chris Gatz, but the White Sox got to figure out what's going on with the Mingas before the trade deadline, before they have to maybe find a external option to help out Grant Taylor, Sean Newcomb and Brian Hudson. I don't know Jim like Trevor Richards good weekend. Not sure if you want to trust him yet to help you get to the finish line into the postseason. But we'll see what the White Sox do in the bullpen front.
Speaker 2: Can I raise a theory of what's up with Sir Anthony? Go ahead, Yes, I think the thing with him is that he's Sir Anthony Domingas and he's been this kind of stuff over command guy his entire career, who had like a five k oh walk per nine last year and goes through these bouts of like his stuff is really good and like if he's in sync and he looks really good, and he goes through these spouts where like he just walks somebody to start off every inning and falls behind every hitter and like everything is a chore. And I think that's a normal level of like hot and cold that a lot of like high stuff, low control leverage relievers go through, and they can look like a closer and in their hot periods, but they probably shake out to what Sir Anthony Dimingas has been his old career, which is like load a mid three e er, a seventh eighth inning guy, And they kind of gave him the status promotion off a good year. But I think like his career norms look like a leverage arm, but not like, you know, an above average closer, And so that always made it seem like one if Grant Taylor stays in the bullpen, him looked being like a bit better of a right handed leverage option was going to become clear over time, and we just like he's or Sir Anthony was going to start off his career or just have a prominent lull where you have to be like, man, we can't really roll with this a knife right now until you get right. The Phillies obviously went through that. That's why he has kind of one half season where he's a closer and then fell to another role and the other teams has been on. I think this is not especially with him still hitting ninety eight, especially with the strikeout rate still being like really high twenties, I kind of think he's gonna be okay. I just don't think like what he's demonstrated has ever quite been like really consistent, nice aning option. I think he's a guy who kind of runs hot in golds, like a lot of relievers of his ilk who have huge stuff but really long and fluid and can fall out of sayctum sometimes.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I don't think that was the crazy theory, James, Thank you. It was well stated, but you did nothing to con vince me. Now I'm kidding. Before we wrap up as far as what happened in Cleveland and we move forward as the White Sox get ready for their home stand. Who needed a big series against the Guardians, James, you went with Anthony K. He was looking good until the rain came in. But in his two starts against the Guardians ten innings against Cleveland, he's only allowed one run against the Guardians. What makes Anthony K a tough matchup for Cleveland?
Speaker 2: So I think it's helpful that you sent this rundown out ahead of time, because if you had just sprung it on me, I probably would have had a response that would have come off as flippant, which is that he's left handed. That's really the essential issue. But you said it out. I did a little bit more preparation on that, thank you. So Cleveland has basically two good hitters against lefties this year. One ofn't bepposed air mirror. It was like one sixty WRC plus against lefties, and the other one's chased. The latter it was like one fifty something. The next two guys are like not on the roster right now. They're like Bo Naylor and Jant Brito, and then like everyone else is like huvery around league average. Kyle Manzardo has been okay against lefties, but he's looked awful in both series for the most part. I think he had one GTH game in Chicago, but like certainly looked pretty gettable throughout this you know affair, especially for K as a lot of time left matchup so there, especially like Ramira is out, even like you know, Angel Martinez out, you know, like he hasn't been great against right. He's a switch hitter at least just even having like Bible right and options, like they're not in a good place right now. They didn't have the lotter in the first series either, so like that's certainly probably helped another thing in Kay getting to the order three times. I certainly think this K has had his sweeper in like probably more in Top four, like basically in April when he wasn't at at max like functioning. He just wasn't plitching very well. Not having a sweeper, which is like a huge weapon that just like you know, kills lefties, was part of that. And so he's faced this very lefty heavy order of the Guardians, while like his lefty killing weapons are are operational. So that's that's part of it too. Like I knew that he had splits going on, but like even coming into it, I didn't realize it's nearly like three hundred points of ops difference for Anthony can like left rieties right now, so like, yeah, that's a lineup like he should eat their lunch, and especially like they're a little bit weak right now and what he's kind of got working right right now in terms of his pitch mix, it all kind of lined up for like they clearly just didn't have anything for him, Like even the runs are like able to scrape out of him were only like him losing his command, like just authoritative swings, turning around his stuff like with hard contact, like that was just not happening against him any of the times he faced them. So probably certainly he didn't seem happy that the rain forced them out with how good things are probably feeling for him, and Betty's probably Maddy can't face him again because right now it just looks like a really good matchup for him.
Speaker 1: Kyle Teal was your big gym. He went three for fifteen, He had a home run, a double drove in for RBIs in the series. How do you think Teal fared against the Guardians this weekend?
Speaker 5: Good enough?
Speaker 6: I mean in terms of an improvement over what the White Sox had. The fact that he had two extra base hits I think maybe matched what Caro and Romo did together over the month beforehand.
Speaker 5: So that's good.
Speaker 6: I think the timing is still a little bit off. You're seeing like maybe more broken bets than you want to see from him. I think he's had like three or four of the course of the series swung at ball four a couple of times the bases loaded against the left e so you might be seeing, you know.
Speaker 5: The way Edgar Carroll was able.
Speaker 6: To shield him against lefties while also just you know, splitting the workload last year and gave him like a nice gentle introduction to major league pitching. Uh, he'll be a bit more exposed this year to the elements, and ultimately that's fine because he's supposed to be good enough to handle the lion's share of the starts behind the plate.
Speaker 5: But yes, I think between the rust from time.
Speaker 6: Off and then maybe some situations where the Guardians can match up against him, you know, they made him work.
Speaker 1: And then my banqu was Sam Antonacci two for eighteen two RBIs not great offensively. He made a great catch on Sunday in the mud pit in the warning track in Cleveland. So he did, Yes, he just a bit shy, a bit shy, but the White Socks are able to split that series against Cleveland. And we look forward to this upcoming home stand for the White Sox as Boston Sacramento arrive. Before we preview the Boston Red Sox series, the All Star team selections were announced and a great moment for Miguel Vargas James as he would be going to the All Star Game. And what are your thoughts about Miguel Vargas All Star?
Speaker 2: I mean, I certainly thought he deserved it, probably certainly. I felt like near the end of the last homestand we're all settling around him as like the one who had the strongest case, and I felt like they were all in this weird bucket where you had four like you know, Colson Davis, Murcamie adding in like star caliber and you know power a little bit and like his notoriety. You could certainly make like a you know, a war case for Tristan Peters, though I didn't seemed highly unlikely and certainly any like just on war or if like you know, there was a big player vote like this guy's been nasty, like I think Newcombe certainly and probably even tailor in terms of like results or certainly the player boats if they're just talking about his stuff. Like even Brian Rocco Rokio the other day was saying, like that's when he homered off them, Like that's one of the best pitches I've ever faced, Like I had, I was just like had to be extremely locked in for that. I think they have like relievers who are doing as well as the relievers who got you know, made the team, not like that thing's always fickle and like you know, closer responsibility some of it. But like I certainly don't think they're like outclass there, but they a lot of guys long story short, they a lot of guys who were like all star caliber but also wouldn't like stun you if they were snubbed like now, like clearly like top three in the league sort of like value, whereas like a Vargas probably like had a case of being like the second best like third baseman in the league all the way through. And really Cameron Arrow only like really created separation in the last two weeks by homering every day. Granted Belt and I was wondering like they're kind of like Vargas seems like the most perfect example, like how the organization's changed the last two years, just because like his journey like literally begins like him as nator uh and the White Sox that their nator, and certainly at that time like not really having any confidence that like the organization could make him better towards like he's now like the most clear example of someone they've actively made better and also clearly whether from just you know, general makeup scouting or kind of getting lucky, this is profile of the land in their lap picked the right person in terms of like appetite and willingness to like submit himself to ways to get better. It's weird, like he seems like a like the most representative story about like this this team's turn around. But that said, like Davis Martin kind of like continually adding pitches under like as like the organization evolves like recently and like certainly developing the kick change. Like that's like a big White Sox story fixing Colston Montgomery and office also him being like a draft and developed positional star or something like they didn't they went decades without Like that's certainly a big White Sox story as well, So like I think they're all like really aren't. Also, like Mura Commy made it is like, yes, the White Sox should get as much positive feedback as possible for spending a free agency like she needs to be like some sort of like Pavlovian thing where like they spend a free agency just like money rains from the sky like this, So like him being like Mara Commy making the All Star would be like a good White Sox story for them as well. But that's it. This is result we have and it feels like a very true thing of the season of like Vargus being a good representative of like what has made them better and more watchable this season.
Speaker 1: Jemmy's rise is just one All Star selection for the White Sox and Miguel Vargas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean when we decided to go with the unthinkable and send James a Philadelphia, we thought, well, this is can be kind of a there's a chance of a mid season coronation here of the White Sox with you know, Vargas and Martin Murakami.
Speaker 1: And just too many White Sox to ignore.
Speaker 5: As they're announcing the lineups.
Speaker 6: And they're lining up along the first base line and everybody's.
Speaker 5: Having a good time.
Speaker 6: Or the home run derby if Montgomery or Murracami participated, still a reason to go.
Speaker 5: Just you know, Argus is a great story.
Speaker 6: Also the draft happening too, Like there's reasons to go beyond the number of White Sox in the game. But yeah, it is a lower number than expected. We'll see if anybody sneaks in. But yeah, it's just in terms of the decisions, you kind of get them.
Speaker 5: In terms of rest.
Speaker 6: You know, Martin looked guessed, so not the worst thing for him to have the week off, And same thing with Colson with the back injury or I should say injury, but just the thing he's managing, you know, not the worst thing to have him be off his feet for a few days. So could help them in the long run or not hurts. But it is just a little bit weird that they're one of the best stories. But in terms of all stars, they still had the same number as they did when it was like Louis Robert as the sole representative and Garrett Crochet and Shane Smith and so you know, this is just a very arbitrary benchmark. But also one where it feels like they should have been able to do just a little bit better than this to reflect the overall team fortunes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of teams with losing records that are well represented for the American League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Detroit having like three position player All Stars probably not telling you the story of their season in a very helpful way.
Speaker 1: No or Toronto. I know Vladd Junior has already pulled out of the upcoming All Star Game. Not sure if it gets because of injury or maybe he just doesn't feel like he deserves the All Star nod. It will certainly help with his Baseball Reference page. But like that's the thing that now is kind of eating at me. Jim, And I know I warned everyone that at the White soxer Plant one All Star I was going to be a bit angry. But this stuff does matter when we look at a player's career and when we look at the Baseball Reference page and we see the All Star link inarticular season, and if they don't have it, that like impacts the way that we talk about their career, even if they have a fringe Hall of Fame case like Mark Burley, Mark Burley. I don't know if he's a Hall of Famer. He didn't make the All Star Game that many times. It just it kind of irks me now. And also an unrelated but also very related situation, I think we need to be a little bit more skeptical with this online voting and what's happening in Canada since the whole I don't know if you know this whole social media fiasco, but the Blue Jays fans using Twitter to spam as far as reports and getting one of the more popular Seattle Mariner fans social media accounts banned makes me kind of wonder. Are they bought voting in Canada the first time?
Speaker 2: Called playing to win?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, Bravo, But that doesn't mean that it's legit.
Speaker 2: Country doesn't justn't familiar with that. From what I saw on TV tonight. Other nations bring it in when the moment counts.
Speaker 1: That is that is true. If you ain't geen, you ain't trying. But hopefully things do change. It'd be nice if Coleson Montgomery I think he should be on the All Star team. So if somebody, if a shortstop pulls out and they can't play, be great. If he use a late edition. We'll talk about Davis Marty in a moment, but Davis Martin will be rested, so they need pitchers to actually throw an inning. Davis Martin could be available to do that, and I think that he deserves that recognition as well. It's just it's weird. It's weird that Ernie Clement, really Ernie Clement lead voting for the American League All Star Team. Come on, yeah, so well we'll see, we'll see what the quality of the American League is. And this, yes, bring back the paper ballots, the hating chads. We again have that argument again. But great for Miguel Vargas. Loved that video by the White Sox. Obviously it meant a lot to Vargas to make this All Star team and to get this much deserved honor, and it'd be great to see him on the field next Tuesday in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: It was nice to hear him as much as it was nice to hear him like talk emotionally about how difficult twenty twenty four was from At the same time, I do more in the depth the death of his really good bit of just every time we asked him about twenty twenty four, pretending he had no memory of the season whatsoever. It was fantastic, the execution was consistent. Good a time is that ever from the drop it, but I will miss the bit.
Speaker 5: You lied to us.
Speaker 1: Well for the White Sox. After a tough road series, which hey a winning road trip for the White Sox, winning two out of three in Baltimore and split it with Cleveland, they now come home, which we know how very good the Icago White Sox have been at Rate Field. Their first series in this home stand is the Boston Red Sox, and the Red Sox have been a mess this season. They are forty and forty eight. They are currently last place in the America League East. They're twelve games back at Tampa. They're four games back of the wild card. They're not exactly sure what they are going to do with the upcoming trade deadline. The Red Sox have won their last three games and they're kind of on a heater. They won eight of their last ten. They are one of four teams in the American League with a winning road record. They're twenty three and twenty one away from Fenway this year. The sum up the Red Sox pitching, very good, hitting, very bad, Their best hitter is Wilson Catreros. He has twenty home runs of fifty nine RBIs this year. He has a one to fifty two way to run runs creative plus and a two point eight war. Their best pitcher has been Ranger Suarez. He's been at three war but offensively for the Red Sox, they only currently have four above average league hitters right now. They have been really struggling to score runs. You're bitching problems for this series. Between the White Sox at Red Sox Tuesday night, six forty pm Central Time, it'll be lefty bain Toll against lefty Noah Schultz. On Wednesday night, this is Pokemon Go Night. They are expecting a lot of people in attendance, so much that they might be opening up the gates early because of the Pokemon Go Jersey giveaway. It'll be left Tanda bitcher Jake Bennett for the Red Sox against righty Davis Martin. And on Thursday Afternoon get Away Day at once in PM's Central time, two b deternamed for the Red Sox against Anthony k James. Davis Martin struggled against Cleveland. I'm not expected him to struggle against Boston, because Wow, his splits between home and away is incredible. Away from raid Field, Davis Martin is a four point seven to earned run average. He's four and three and ten starts, forty seven strikeouts, twenty one walks. At home, Davis Martin is undefeated, a zero point eighty eight earned run average in seven starts, with forty three strikeouts to just eight walks over forty one innings at home. Is there a rhyme or reason why Davis Martin is pitching so much better at rape Field than away this season?
Speaker 2: James, I mean, I don't think so. We're mostly talking about like his three bad starts, and they've all happened to be on the road, you know, New York, Minnesota and Cleveland. I think the probably the trend line to pay more attention to is how recent all those outings are, and you know beat the one primary separation from it being uh, you know Atlanta, where he got extended rest and said, like you really needed it. Like the Detroit one they got through that was six innings of one run ball like he said, kind of mechanically he was off. Kind of similar thing with the Kansas City thing. It's more just like those three bad starts to have been in the last like months, five weeks, six week kind of span, and he kind of hasn't either, you know. I think the one thing that obviously stands out is a little bit like mentioning of fatigue and how like heavy his innings have been, and like seeing his below down a little bit in's outings and kind of like acknowledging a little bit of like needing the extra rest that they gave him for the Atlanta start, he is gonna have an extra day for this one. I think that's probably the trend line I look at a bit more than home run splits, which certainly aligned with the White sox own team wide inexplicable home run splits that I don't have a great answer for either, but I think there's there's probably like a more pressing objective trend with Martin other than kind of the ineffable one of whatever he eats when he's in Chicago before a.
Speaker 1: Start, is it worthwhile asking him after this start against Boston if he excels, Like is there something about pitching at home that he just feels more comfortable?
Speaker 2: He's been asked about them playing there a lot, playing better a lot, But yeah, I don't think he's gonna say something like this is way different if for no other reason, then like that would admit that his road operation is just fundamentally flawed in a way that can't be remedied. So and I don't think he's really of that view, so giving like some sort of concrete reason at home, the next follow up question is like, well, why wouldn't they replicate that on the road in some way or be racking their brains for how? And I think in terms of the wracking their brains are is like, how do you want to guide him into the all Star break and quickly do that? Because he's on paces that a career Heinennings and kind of acknowledge that that was an issue just last month, on top of kind of looking like someone where that's an issue. So I just think that's probably the thing to latch onto more so than the home road happenstance of it.
Speaker 6: Any any pitcher that survived Charlotte in their development, I think probably graduates from worrying too much about the home field Because watching Jonathan Cannon right now, his roadyra being like more than double what is or his homi ra being more than double what his roadyra is and when he's pitching away from truest Field, he looks like that kind of back end starter, like sixth starter that you want, and when he's at home he looks unrosterable. I think anybody who gets out of that environment alive can more or less put that behind him.
Speaker 1: Jim. The White Sox will be facing two left handed starters from Boston and they will probably have to see a Wildest Chatman at some point in this series. With these tough lefties, this seems like a stage is set for Randall Gridchik to have a big series for the White Sox offense does.
Speaker 6: Looking at the rundown, not to reveal too much, but I have a different player in mind for who needs a big series, But he would certainly be there in terms of, you know, he's kind of been the counter move against when a righty's starting and you have Andrew Binintendi the lineup or Sam Antanacci or whoever, and then.
Speaker 5: Left he comes in you need a big at bat. He's the guy that comes in.
Speaker 6: So theoretically, you know, with two tough lefties being there, he would you.
Speaker 5: Treat him like the counter move early, and Will.
Speaker 6: Venable likes to use his moves early or like when they're available earlier in games versus waiting for like the optimal opportunity later in games.
Speaker 5: So he does fit that.
Speaker 6: Also, like when you have Ritchick starting, then you get in the situation where if like an oldest Chapman is back there, then you kind of run into the junior pres problem, and that.
Speaker 5: He's you know, he's on the roster.
Speaker 6: He's a right handed bat, but he's also striking out a lot the way you or he would give them the contact rates in Charlotte and the emergency nature of his call up and kind of existence right now on the twenty six man roster, so it does leave him a little bit exposed of having like your worst hitter come up in the most important situations because you are one move short. So I think it is important for Gritchik and then like Andrew beIN and Tendi or whoever you know, maybe and out whoever the counter move is behind him to try to maximize those situations, those matchups to where it doesn't fall to junior pres. If it indeed gets to him in the eighth and ninth that would be ideal.
Speaker 1: So let's sway, who needs a big series? And Jim, I'll actually start with you because you weren't gonna go with Randall Gritchik. I was trying to set you up, who is your pick who needs a big series with White Sox to win this series against Boston.
Speaker 6: Along the same lines in terms of right hand bats in the lineup, but Chase Mydraf.
Speaker 5: I think one of the reasons why he's yeah, he's he had a rough June and partially he didn't really hit lefties at all.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, from the start of June, he's actually hit righties better against lefties to twenty nine average, two fifty obp uh three, fourty three slugging percentage, only one walk in thirty five played appearance or thirty six plate appearances.
Speaker 5: So that's not what you want.
Speaker 6: And I think you know, for the first two months of the season, that was his strength. He matched lefties and was okay against righty's, and you know, he went up the lineup against lefties, was you know, properly turned into a secondary role. Against righty's, he played defense. I did everything well enough to where it all worked out. But you know, when you are either batting fifth or middle of the order or batting towards the top of the order against lefties, he kind of need to come through and as the White Sox figure out what they're going to do over the course of like the remaining three months of the season, you know, with Murakami starting his rehab stint, you're starting to get to the Jacob Gonzalez question that you entertained and we kind of put off waiting to see like who's actually healthy by tom or a comedy comes back. But yeah, if my draft doesn't hit lefties, or if he struggles against lefties like he has like the past month, you do get in the issue of like, as you're building lineup, what can you count on this guy to do? And the White Sox do have options to where they might feel like they can, you know, mix the infield in a different way. So I think it's I think he's had better at bats as of late, started to see some walks start coming, so hopefully that means that the performance against lefties will reverse as well.
Speaker 1: Every time it seems like we challenge Chase my draft, he ends up having a good series. So positive Jinx is on for Chase my draft. With Jim thinking him needing a big series, James, how about you? Who needs a big series with White Sox against the Red Sox.
Speaker 2: I had like picked one, and then I thought of like I picked one like early, and I spent like the rest of the time trying to like think of something obscure and like ingenius and like outside the box to think myself out of like the very clear and easy decision I had made. Its like Tristan st. Peters has to produce or else, like this series like makes no sense obviously, Like yeah, a lot of lefty starters and they need like their their writing matches to go. But I still want to stick with like Davis Martin because one obviously he starts one of these games. They're kind of most proven option for getting deep in games, and someone they don't have to or have not had to think about opening for even when there's like a slate of lefty hitters like could be present here, just like one for him. Because that's my original interpretation the question was that you were asking me who needs to have a good game or be in trouble or something like that, And then I only later realized what the actual correct interpretation of the question was, and that it was who needs to play well for the White Sox that success. But David Martin kind of fits both criteria in the sense of, like, you want to see him be able to turn this around in order to be convinced, like one, that he can bounce back from these things like quickly, and that it's not something that needs more consideration in terms of how do you manage him coming out of the break or do you even want him if he gets offered to like pitching the All Star Game as a replacement, do you want him to pitch or do you want him to like, Hey, let's like you've been pitching a lot of innings, let's and things are kind of going little hey ry right, heywi are right now? Why not let's give you like a week and a half off or whatever you like, you know, would come from sitting out. So for both him and like maybe get an opportunity, and just also for like the team to have good vibes and have like faith in like what their rotation looks like coming out of the break and what they need going to the deadline. I think a good art and finale to the first half, would you know, be a mood raiser, even if it's not like he's unnoticed or he's out of the rotation or something like that, he's not actually like absolutely needs to have a good start or you lose faith in the project a bit. But I think another like six innings even like the kind of scrappy outings against like uh, you know, Detroit or the Royals where he just kind of gets through, even if he's not like at his top self where he's blowing people away, like against the Angels earlier in the season, I think that'd be a big mood raiser going into the break as far as like what he looks like going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. Finished the re All Star break Straw, and then if he doesn't make the All Star team, or if he does and he doesn't pitch, then these he gets a trip to Philadelphia or he gets so much unification time before the White Sox regroup in Toronto to start the post All Star Break part of the twenty twenty six season. For me, I'm gonna go with Brady Montgomery. I have a good feeling that Miguel Vargas is going to be a big factor in this series for the White Sox. But Verdiana Montgomery the early questions for him. Ever since he was in Texas, A and M. As a right handed batter, Kenny hit consistently against left handed pitching. This would be a good test for Braida Montgomery. It's early. He's only had twenty at bats this season against left handed pitching. Right now, he's got a six twenty three. Oh yes, but he's gonna get back to back starts against lefties. It'd be nice to see if he can get some success against these two south paws, or maybe even some late inning success against a Wildness Chapman.
Speaker 6: Big week for the Crochet trade in general, Like in terms of the way, Yeah, Boston media is kind of primed right now. A well timed hit or a you know, whether it's Montgomery or Teal or my draft could really set some things off. So that adds another layer of intrigue and entertainment to the obvious on field benefits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have the White Sox. It's sweet. The Red Sox sit back at enjoy at the media store that'll be brewing out of Boston. I think at this time, at this stage of the season, a lot of Boston media has just settled into what they are expecting, a full teardown coming in the All Star After the All Star break, heading towards the trade deadline, Wilson Catreras has been in some brew ajas for Boston. Obviously a lot on his mind as a Venezuelan native and all the devastation that's been going on in Venezuela. Our thoughts are for everyone from Venezuela and for those that have maybe a family of Venezuela. Just a really terrible situation. But yeah, this has not been the season, probably on the same page as the New York Mets that neither of those franchises were expecting in twenty twenty six. So if my draft has a big series, Montgomery has a big series, if Tel has a big series, it's not going to make the situation better in Boston and how they're feeling about the twenty twenty six Red Sox team. But we will be recapping this series on Thursday nights, as we'll be covering all three games at home. James will be there for us. We'll have more videos as well, with pregame and postgame interviews as far as those press conferences. Will be loading up those videos on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine, we'll have some more prospect videos as well more draft stuff coming up. The MB Draft is happening on Saturday, and then you got the All Star Game. So much is going on from a Chicago White Sox perspective, so continue to visit us daily onsoxsmachine dot com. But if you just discover the Sox Machine podcast, you can subscribe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts at a Spotify and Apple Music already promoter our YouTube channel, but please watch our videos there and if you do, hit the subscribe button at YouTube dot com slash soxs Machine. Follow us on social media where on all the social media platforms at sox Machine, follow James for up to date information and news releases as well, especially any roster changes the White Sox may have with this upcoming homestand at jrfig and you can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh. If you enjoy our work and went full access to all of our coverage at the Chicago White Sox, Major League Baseball, and very important, the upcoming Major League Baseball Draft, go to Soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up for a sox Machine subscription with monthly clients started at five dollars unless you're new, and then you can take advantage of our sale because the White Sox continued to win. Jim, so we're still between that fifty two to fifty four cents.
Speaker 6: Yeah, whatever date you're listening to it, Yes, right now it is fifty three cents.
Speaker 1: Fifty three cents, So sign up fifty three cents for your first month, and then five dollars a month afterwards. If you want more, and you can get more, we have additional tiers of support. Go to Soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up today. The sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot Com. I'm hearing for all of the in Chicago White Sox Baseball alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolus. I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.