Speaker 1: He is drinks Chants, Motherfucky podcast, make si.
Speaker 2: He's a legends every queen's rapper.
Speaker 3: He ain't say greed as your boy in O R eight's a Miami Hill pop mioneer. What Ups d j E f N? Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And the most professional unprofessional podcast and your.
Speaker 3: Number one source for drunk drinks post every day is New year. See listen, It's time for drink champions. Drink up, motherfuck? What it gonna be? Hob Swotter to me? This your boy in O R E? What Up is dj E f N? Listen to get library. I want to make them know.
Speaker 2: That when me and anfl started this show, we said we wanted to give the flowers to the legends, the people who have been there for us, the people who have been there that pave the way, the people who are pioneers and people who are legend, the people who are icons. These people have paid the way for me personally, you know, from them putting on someone and putting on someone and putting on me and all coming together from my home burrow.
Speaker 3: These an icon.
Speaker 2: When I see these brothers on stage here came down my eye because I realized how personally I wanted to see it. It's got nothing to do with hip hop, got everything to do with me. Like I personally as a fan, it was like, yeah, motherfucker, you know, seeing them on stage together, knowing the history and knowing that they come back together, I humble myself and I believe. I made the phone call and I said, I want to make this happen. I would like to be the first people to have you brothers together on together and give y all y'all flowers.
Speaker 3: That's the most important part.
Speaker 2: The most important part is not having y'all here, but having y'all, letting y'all know that this is time to praise y'all. It's time to show y'all how much hip hop owes y'all. It's time to show show y'all how much hip hop appreciate y'all and missus y'all. And in case you don't know what we're doing, we're talking about the one the motherfucker only.
Speaker 3: Wanted real cold someone let shirts pop because he likes to do that. Yeah, that's that's that's that's what she said.
Speaker 1: By that, I'm gonna go with this one.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with this, like yes, yes, so Pete, what's going on? My brother?
Speaker 2: You haven't been you got this is how you know you're a classic? And look at that?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: So which one is this? This is a Monty Crisco.
Speaker 5: I can tell that a Leor Cohen Cuban pies of Dominicans.
Speaker 2: Right, we smoke Dominicans and Nicaraguans, but the Cuban soil I think it's different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, just catching up, but Leor put me up on the Cubans.
Speaker 3: The woid of Mono rail way back.
Speaker 5: I used to only smoke Cubans.
Speaker 3: And which one is this one? That's a Monte Cristco? This crystal ball is so okay? So what's the difference between it?
Speaker 2: This Monty Crisco and it has a New York label than the regular Monty crist.
Speaker 5: I think I just was in Chicago. They had a Chicago one, so I think, okay.
Speaker 3: So how long you brothers happen? They got to Brooklyn got a book out of that? How long have you brothers?
Speaker 2: Because I couldn't tell when you said you guys said you wasn't on stage for thirty years together? Or if that meant you guys hadn't seen each other in thirty years?
Speaker 3: Is that? Is that a big difference? Really that long?
Speaker 1: So I think Cassidy got a little excited. Okay I didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we have performed officially on stage together in probably close to thirteen, twelve or thirteen years.
Speaker 3: We you can tell you from.
Speaker 1: I'm just you know.
Speaker 5: I saw nt do that and gold fingers Joffrey.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, so yeah, okay, can you what you said? We got no more see it? I'm sorry, yeah, I got I gotta let him know. Yeah, down to the Thug Borough, that's no.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, so it really had become like after that show. You know, life happens, you know what I'm saying, like, and you know he was.
Speaker 3: After the recent show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was like twelve years ago. Okay, so yeah, so what happened? Well, go ahead, it was thirty. We kind of do this every ten years. Okay, you remember the first time? Reunite every ten years? Yeah, you know, say Adams, Yeah yeah, yeah, so so say it for those who don't know, say did the Big Eie album, he did a third Base album, he did the Redman cover, he did Ready to Die like.
Speaker 5: He's I mean maybe regardless, you.
Speaker 3: Have an exhibit out here during the pavement, you know, and.
Speaker 5: He's actually in this show at the Museum of City of New York right now too, Martin walk So say somehow enabled the fact that he got me and Surge are on the phone together. Are not knowing that we were going to be on the phone together in nineteen ninety nine, Okay, wow, And he got us to come back and we did Woodstock.
Speaker 3: Wow. So we did work here.
Speaker 1: So what happened was so we at that time our agent was also the guy named Johnny Podell.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Johnny's all City DJ.
Speaker 1: Cassidy's dad right, Okay, Cassidy dad dad no relation to Burt Padell, No, like dad, I didn't know, so yeah, so Johnny Pidell who used to book some Power Lewis.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so R and William Morris that's Cassidy's dad. That's how actually me and Pete med Cassidy when he was nine years old, when he used to come to my house in Long Island on the way to That's how we started DJing.
Speaker 3: And was lying when he told us that yeah was playing.
Speaker 5: We did a couple of records. Cassidy was like a little kid in the studio.
Speaker 3: That's how I knew.
Speaker 1: So so he was like, Yo, do you guys want to do Woodstock?
Speaker 3: And we're like, why wouldn't we want to do Woodstock? Like you know.
Speaker 1: But the thing that was really funny is they paid us one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I still have because I thought it was more. I still have the check that I didn't cash paid to third Base, which I can't do anyway because there's no account that says third bit for three hundred and thirty three dollars and thirty three cents right everywhere. So we go to we go to Woodstock to do Woodstock, and it's the opening day. It's like Thursday, and everybody's all the way on one side, We're all the.
Speaker 3: Way on the opening stage.
Speaker 5: What was fucking Delly George Clayton on the other side.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: But later, right later, but we were like literally like the opening for this stage. So DJ Eclips, who was with us at time, he's just start spinning records House of Pain rock him and all these people start moving towards us, like moving towards us, moving towards us and we rocked. We rocked, and then we went to Europe for a little while, just some European dates, tried to do an.
Speaker 2: Album stretching what we do, and then basketball always always got basketball.
Speaker 1: Right and uh and yeah, we started recording for an album called Cabot's Craning, which was always gonna be the third Third Base album.
Speaker 3: Just never happened. You know, life happens, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But I remember at that time, I just didn't see you guys together. But I never remember hearing rumors that you breaking up. It wasn't too recently that we heard you. Like it was like you guys wasn't coming together and didn't see it you guys recently. So was there like a certain thing that happened for you guys not to be around, Because listen, I'm a part of a group too, And I say, it's just me and Capone being together. It's the same thing as Wu Tang getting together. It's not different personalities, even though.
Speaker 3: It like I noticed it. So I'm just asking you guys, like, was was there something?
Speaker 1: I mean, it wasn't that it was something I think what for me at least, and I can just share. My perspective is that you know, I was in a place where I wasn't really doing some great listening. Like I can take responsibility for this, you said, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like I wasn't. I just wasn't a great partner.
Speaker 1: You know, So at least for me my perspective, and I can take the you know, I can admit my faults and you know, say, this was the reasons for the demise of our partnership.
Speaker 3: Was I was. I wasn't in a good place.
Speaker 1: I wasn't in a healthy place, you know what I'm saying, Like I wasn't listening, right, I was definitely basing a lot of my decisions on ego, I was basing a lot of my decisions.
Speaker 3: On like my wife and my relationship.
Speaker 1: And you know, the truth of the matter was I wasn't thinking the way a partnership think, right, So everything was kind of off kilter for me. And looking back now, obviously because I love that Muhammad Ali saying like he says, if you're the same man at twenty four, then you are fifty four. You wasted thirty years ago, right, So I can sit now here being a little older than fifty four saying, you.
Speaker 3: Know, what.
Speaker 1: I'm not at that place anymore, and I can look back and say I'll do I'm not going to be that same person today, right, So a lot of those are the reasons why, you know, we couldn't coexist, you know, and I have to have.
Speaker 3: To can't let that go? Okay, I love you saying that.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 3: That's big.
Speaker 5: But also the fact that me and Rich when that riff was there, we didn't think that Russell and the Ore would actually even let it have like, you know, like let us flit up, because they could have forced it. But you know, they helped, you know, just they're like, oh they want to do this. They made up their mind.
Speaker 3: You know. That was basically so.
Speaker 5: But listen, me and Rich had some of the same things going on in search and uh.
Speaker 3: Which nice Rich. Ok Okay, that's right, that's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: So but uh yeah, so, I mean it's just maturing over the years. Uh you know, I mean, but such I had a a whole history even before before that. So that's the crazy thing about us going back to when we met at the last quarter.
Speaker 1: So you know, and now you know, looking at it todayway.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, So he he was in Florid Park.
Speaker 1: I was in Far Rockaway, but we always ran into each other, like we would cross our paths at the latt Quarter. His first MC partner was a guy I went to high school with who was like the first white rapper ever, kidnamed Vanilla b A K. A.
Speaker 3: Key O, great graffiti artist Lad Scotch. Yeah, Blake Latham and we got your move about it. I like to say that the life, but that was the other.
Speaker 1: Thing that really was like to me was the a PEX for me was Cassidy show was on November eighth. That was the thirty fifth anniversary of our album release party. Wow that Clark Kent DJ and Clark died and Clark is really the connect tissue between me and rich and Pete Dana Dane I went to high school with. He was Clark's DJ, you know, was his DJ. You know, Pete met Clark. They did a radio show together, you know, Rich.
Speaker 3: Stretch above Vito.
Speaker 5: We had the first show on WKCR, and then Clark introduced me to Richie Rich, who you know, arguably the best show DJ in the world. I mean, like we we guarantee if you put Daddy Rich out there ten minutes said on tour, You're guaranteed that the crowd goes Like.
Speaker 1: You remember this comedian, this Mexican comedian, like what was his name, Rodriguez, Like he was Paul Rodriguez. Yea, Paul had a big show, Like he had a talk show that like NBC was putting soupid Money was the first bilingual show after Rich did Our Sineo.
Speaker 3: This motherfucker built this.
Speaker 1: Shit with like cameras on all angles and like like to watch him do his tricks, like like when Rich battled in the World supremacy, like he did a forty three unre vertical leap overturn table like I mean, like without miss Ship, you know what I mean, Like you know what I'm saying, Like so you know some Superman shit.
Speaker 3: So Clock was the connector between all of us.
Speaker 1: So for Clock to die and not be here and it's November eighth, and it's that thirty fifth anniversary and it's just all those numbers made sense to me in an album coming out, Like you know what I'm saying, Like and you know.
Speaker 3: I hate to do it good, but I'm just saying, you know, it's different right now, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Saying I'm just saying like you know what I mean, So you know, you know, it's just it just made all the sense in the world, you know what I'm saying, and universal now like really stepping up releasing the record the way it always should have been on the album, you know what I'm saying, Like, really it felt like the right time. It just felt like the right time, especially because Cassidy in our history with his dad and Kaz and like my family with him, like he's family to me, Like my kids call him Uncle Kaz, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So it's just made sense, you know what.
Speaker 5: I remember Chuck Dan, we were on roadich all got money Now, that's what.
Speaker 3: That's what. So we were on tour with Chuck. We were on toward Public Enemy.
Speaker 1: It was like Public Enemy Digital Underground, Big Daddy Kane, like, and we're in the South and I see that two live crews on the show.
Speaker 3: And I used to love to like go up and see you.
Speaker 1: Know, order time, set time, and I remember that I'm looking at to run a show, and it would always be like you know, Caine third Days, you blah blah blah. But it was always Public Enemy. So this show and we're in like the middle of nowhere. I think we're in the like Dad and rouge AA somewhere in New Orleans, and it's bang bang bang Public Enemy two live crew.
Speaker 3: So now I'm hot. I'm you know, I'm like, yo, what then see the no?
Speaker 1: No, no, who the fuck would fuck this up? Like Pe closes the show. I'm from New York, I'm a queen starle bread. What the fuck you talking about? Ain't nobody closing over a fucking Public Enemy?
Speaker 3: And I'm mad?
Speaker 1: So I run into like brother Mike and brother James from you know that's one w's. I said, Yo, they made a mistake. He said no, wow, And I said, let me talk Chuck.
Speaker 6: Chuck comes out and as he says, he just said, he waved the tumble at me, did the tumble, and he said, hottest group closes and he closed the door.
Speaker 1: That's all he said to me. And I said, what the fuck does that mean? How does group closes? We get on, We do our thing. King goes on to it, says, Public Enemy comes on. The fucking place is moving, whole venue moving.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: The second they get off the stage, all of a sudden, there's about fifty cops all around the stage.
Speaker 3: For them for two live crew.
Speaker 1: Them boys come out, they get on stage and Luke just says one thing, Hey, these motherfuckersre gonna throw us in jail if we say any custoings, so we can't do the custom.
Speaker 3: You do us for it.
Speaker 1: Hey, twenty two thousand people, they didn't Tao one fucking.
Speaker 3: One fucking word. Taught a bitch down, said, you know, they didn't show one doesn't work.
Speaker 5: I'm on one of the other shows.
Speaker 1: One of the other shows they did, but that was because of fighting. There was an assault thing. But yo, it was crazy like and it made me realize, like when you're on tour, hot to Scoop closes. When we were on tour, like on during the dialect, we're on the West coast with Cyprus, We're.
Speaker 3: Like, y'all close, y'all close, like because you know.
Speaker 1: When we brought them on, right, Yeah, when we brought them on, Pigs was their first single. Like no one was really fucking with it when we got to the West coast, like that's all you heard. Every fucking sholo was bumping that ship. So we're like, yeah, y'all close them, So let me ask y'all. We had doctor Dre and Snoop and doctor Dre I asked him for something. There's something that's been been like kind of bothering me.
Speaker 2: I was like, you said that the firm flopped and I could literally see Doctor Dre put his head down and he was like, I shouldn't have said that, right, And it's like, all these years later he regrets. Do you regret putting certain people on the gas face who got.
Speaker 3: The gas pace? Obviously? Like you ever talk to Himmer all this time?
Speaker 1: Like, no, I mean, but honestly I think that, Like, and again, this is just me.
Speaker 3: This is my path, you know.
Speaker 1: Eleven eleven twenty four, I celebrated thirteen years of recovery, right so, like.
Speaker 3: For like, so.
Speaker 1: One of the big parts of my maturity is making amends, right, Like, that's a big part of like being able to speak to people and be able to make amends and say, look, this is what I did wrong, this is the responsibility I take from my behavior, and.
Speaker 3: This is how I act Differently.
Speaker 1: It's not about apologizing, because you can be a sorry mother fuck your whole life if you don't change. So for me, it's not about apologizing about Look, I acknowledge I did this wrong and moving moving.
Speaker 3: Now, this is how I act differently, right, I.
Speaker 1: Would make amends to Hammel because I see it from his side, right, I know, And I can honestly say this for ninety percent of it.
Speaker 3: Pete's line that shit was hard body.
Speaker 1: Like, let's be real clear, Like that lyric that he dropped on Hamma's head is hard body.
Speaker 3: No, that's what he did. Date his records.
Speaker 1: Turn his mother out, hold the cactus, turn Hammer's mother out.
Speaker 3: Yo. That ship was hard body for us.
Speaker 5: And I was arguing with him straight up on the radio.
Speaker 3: Ok, was.
Speaker 5: He sabotaged us and put ham All on Live? Right?
Speaker 3: Well, he ambushed us, Yeah, ambushed us on radio.
Speaker 1: But the point was like we didn't think of that line literally, because that's how MC's did. Like we had double entendres all the time. We didn't think his he would literally he take it like, yeah, we're talking.
Speaker 3: About his mom.
Speaker 5: Search is then taking it back to the essence taking please it is nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 3: I'm there.
Speaker 5: Before we had records out. Search would try to get us on anything. So Search got us on the road with Houdini judging a dunk contest in the full force like basketball basketball game open and we're there with his dude, Greg Butler from the next and the other dude from the Warriors that passed back then, and this little kid comes on halftime, starts dancing and kind of like hammer style boom then Hammer comes out right.
Speaker 1: And he had a Cadillac filled with so he was pumping his music out of his cadillact this one.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: What they called bull boy for the Oakland age. So he had a Cadillac and he had a trunk full of music and everybody was like, oh, that's the hottest kid in Oakland.
Speaker 5: And you know search in the record he said he had soul coming out his asshole. He he wanted to battle. Yeah, and James had no idea who the we were, and he just like he just peeled us off. And we actually caught him outside. He was in a bed in a drop top bends with that kid Dante. Security picked even got a picture, but.
Speaker 3: It is in his hometown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was like, I mean, it was just a playful, like it's like we all dance paddle back in.
Speaker 3: Right after that.
Speaker 5: Like so we we actually were with him, met him, talk right in front of him. But then he just run and then with the whole you're hitting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ain't hitting in New York and and.
Speaker 7: That's what got That's where that's where our whole of hammer started.
Speaker 5: And that's where we were just pretty much defending you know, the guys who created ship for us and.
Speaker 3: Rush and yeah, absolutely right, absolutely right.
Speaker 5: That's why you saw D m C and ms J in the gas face kick that kick that fake but something search you wouldn't have won the dance content.
Speaker 3: You ain't say I could do.
Speaker 1: I could jump through my leg I could jump to the limb that dance.
Speaker 3: Don't care. I could dance my paradise.
Speaker 5: Used to throw mustache at that cute first right before he was rhyming out of the records out just with the gold white boy, bring it, We'll bring it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. He would have got served. You don't got it served? Yeah, you know he got in the bay.
Speaker 3: No, but I wasn't. I was really nice. We might have to bring that day.
Speaker 1: But the point is, but the point is now you know obviously where I am in my life today, Like I would make amends to him because I know that must have been like you never spoke to him never met, never never spoke to him.
Speaker 2: That wow yea, And how about what you're talking about, Leo cohones, Yes, el Roy, that.
Speaker 3: Was did you have to make amends?
Speaker 1: Because that's like, yeah, I mean that's like the first dis record.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, do you know if ever that someone want come to Leo the gas like whatever? He still does.
Speaker 1: So he was, you know, so he was he got the City of Light honor right, so it was all the deaf jam that picassidy. He says to me, goes motherfucker. They still call me el Roy motherfucker. No, he said it like this, they still.
Speaker 8: Do.
Speaker 3: You know they come to your mother. I know if you search you.
Speaker 5: Roy, you know what?
Speaker 3: You know what's crazy about that?
Speaker 5: He deserves every bit of it.
Speaker 3: You got that one.
Speaker 2: On one part of that, it's like Dan, you dissed me. But on the other part of that, you made and they live there forever too. So it's the good and the bad. But how did this? How did le all get the gas face? How does Elroy excuse me?
Speaker 3: Well, you dealt with Leon? Yes, yeah, we go pleasure.
Speaker 5: First of all, you go up into Leo's office. He's got a big cutout of his fiance behind him, who was a singer at the time, e k oh okay.
Speaker 3: And you don't notice, Leo, you just right this is to eight.
Speaker 5: Elizabeth Freig Moxley was his assistant. So he's like behind him in a little back office and he's just screaming at people. One time we did they had us do a rape. They wanted us to do a rave in London. In London, and there were literally like two Nigerian princes who came. We were in the rush office with them and they were pitching this whole thing, and.
Speaker 9: Leo's like, I wanted to get twenty thousand Republican to meet ten thousand for third Base, ten thousands of day La Soul, and these guys are guaranteeing and everything.
Speaker 5: And I actually had the other guys picturing this is let me just let me, let me just.
Speaker 1: Rewind real quick because there's an important yeah, rewind, Yeah, this is one really important part of this. Public Enemy were supposed to perform the night before and they had a ray right, so they already paid Public Enemy and they didn't perform. So he was like, if you want them again, it's going to cost another another twenty five thousand plus for this group, plus for this group.
Speaker 5: And he's like, if you do not get the money to me, I am you would be your father will send you back to the bush.
Speaker 10: And oh my god, he was brutal.
Speaker 1: But let me just say he has one like literally, when you talk about how we talk about the bag, No, he had a bag, a brown paper bag, jimim guy. No okay, a brown paper bag with fifty thousand bands. And when he said to me and Peters they would go back to the bush and get me my money another time, No, no, no yo, And so I said, So Pete leaves the room and.
Speaker 3: I go, Yo, can I get ten dollars to get something to eat? And he feels me five dollars Leo.
Speaker 5: So Leo made me some promisory notes, maybe even for my first born.
Speaker 3: Like he never lost the dollars to a rapper.
Speaker 1: He never left the rappers. That dude never lost the dime, He never lost the pig and the dives. Like man, he never left a penny on the table. I remember walking, Do you remember the man? Do you remember when Jazz Jeff in the Fresh Prince had the one eight hundred number? Okay, I'm talking about a stack okay, So Jazz Jeff in the Fresh Prince one eight hundred where you could call them and they would wish you a happy holiday.
Speaker 2: Married Jones was the first nigga that did that.
Speaker 3: He did he actually gave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went into his office.
Speaker 3: So we go into his office. There's a stack, a stack of.
Speaker 1: Checks made out to Jazzy Jeff and the Press Prince twenty two, twenty four thousand, sixteen thousand.
Speaker 3: A stack.
Speaker 1: This had like he knew how to collect money. There was one thing done on that. Yeah, but he was a monster when it came to that ship. He never left a penny on the table. And that's not a bad thing, especially when he's working for you. When he's working against you, it's a fucking moment.
Speaker 10: So where you guys were the beef coman? How did he get the gas face?
Speaker 3: Like, no, we got the gas face was in the air.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, it was like he was like a turban dear. But like, yo, David scrub It's.
Speaker 3: Right, Dante needs a haircut, you know what I'm saying. Like this, it was really like an inside shot out. Yes, I saw them following him. Yeah, I get it. It's like it's like you know, anybody.
Speaker 2: Who got the gas face was real. I thought they would never squash it with y'all.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it seemed you were just roll calling people people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, called the Leader of South Africa p w Bota click.
Speaker 3: It was just fucking you know, it's ship.
Speaker 2: But so, what is your what is your favorite era hip hop? Damn well, I know what this is.
Speaker 5: I'm one of the curators at the hip Hop Museum with Paradise from Excelent Oh, so my life is.
Speaker 3: Just hip hop history.
Speaker 5: So I find myself as much as like nineteen eighty six credits right at the time that every being Rock Him came out, Like I would say that would be golden era of the top like slice of time, but I really would if I had to go back on time machine, I want to go back to like, you know, seventy five at the Evil O with who herk, Park Ken, all those guys DJ Smoke you well the guy, and all these other guys who were pivotal in the history of hip hop that no one knows about.
Speaker 3: And no one knows that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you gonna do your job and get up. But that's a Spike era, right, the Spikes and the dark Glasses and no.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, that that's really like the the A J Lester you know him, you know uptown like colchar Rock type thing. And like you know when when colclar Rock tells people, you know her hert was from Jamaica. He didn't know how to dress. I had to take him up to town.
Speaker 2: The album they say the other dul DJ with her, but he also would talk HERK would talk too.
Speaker 5: But they credit him to be one of the first mcs exactly, and you know there were there were a number of them, but Colk would say, I would take them aj Lester to get the fly ship. And when I was working with Hirt's brother and he had a shoe box full of all these receipts and there's like a cool Hurtz receipt from nineteen seventy five from aj Leslter. So I showed it to Coke. He's like I told everybody, I took there so that going back in a time machine to that age would be for me, you know, that would be the tops. Okay, So now with search search would think, hold on.
Speaker 2: Actually the Swiss beats cost tomorrow and he says, I want you guys to do versus you guys picked your group?
Speaker 3: Who you pick it?
Speaker 5: Well, first off, I want to get Swiss beats and Alicia Keys. They bought the cool Hurt speakers, which we're actually in talks with them to try to loan them to the museum. Oh wow, actually used within.
Speaker 3: They actually got they got quired. Yeah, I never they bought.
Speaker 5: And they have their Giants exhibition that's going around the country. Hurts Herculos speakers are in that exhibition, but with diverses.
Speaker 3: But with the verses. Yes, third base against who oh third base? Yes?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Are you you go solo too? No?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I thought you were talking about not base.
Speaker 2: Because in case days, I don't know, if you know, yeah, let's see.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: X plan third base would be probably the.
Speaker 3: I don't think that. I think yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: Now obviously we had you know, sugar Chef professor, but yeah, that would be. I think that would have been because as much as we have b for the X Plan, I mean we both love Brother Jay like Brother j it was like one one of our favorite mcs.
Speaker 1: I think also there's a you know with La Mumba May rest in peace and paradise. You know, there's a lot of love there, you know what I'm saying, Like even though they were like how can the bowler best gorillas and like all of that ship, but I think it was all like whole I mean, for me, it's easy.
Speaker 3: It's e pm D. I was thinking more a pm D.
Speaker 1: Yeah, third Baking, apm D like to me, third base and e pm D only because.
Speaker 3: Smooth too.
Speaker 1: Nice and smooth would be great because we did records together. To me, but you know, I think that it's really challenging for us because at the end of the day, where two albums deep, and that's the crazy ship. Like if you think about the thirty five years, I.
Speaker 2: Think they got one album right, one and a half and that no one knows that right house party party, No one knows that, you know.
Speaker 11: But La Hill had one album, but she had also but she when we say Laura Hill, yeah, no, that's true. You can perform Fuji records. She can do Fuji records and she got that big, big cap record when she bodied that ship. She said, I'm for woman up to make it that that that whole verse is crazy. But to me, it's epm D move. To me, those are both good. What about you if CNN got back together. Who would you want to do versus against.
Speaker 1: CNN CNN versy and it's none of us anyway, right, yeah, just I'll beat it in your minds, in your like against the Spanish version of Norri and then right then the version and then the pharal version versus the capon and version of We can actually put it off and we could be in the same state too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty impressive, cute that one. So is it time for the flowers? Yes?
Speaker 2: Our show was about giving legends they flowers while they could smell them. They treats where they could help them, they thoughts where they could think them, and they drinks where they can drink them. We were so happy to see you brothers back together, so happy because I said this to doctor Dre and i'mna say it to you, guys. I said to doctor Dre, life is better when he's making music, and life is better when third bases in the motherfucking game.
Speaker 3: He owes me. That's just from making me go to the house of fucking Athletes to sit in the room for three hours.
Speaker 2: My god, I love this guy and it really is great you guys, but really, really, I really want to see you guys on tour, like, since we're giving out flowers, Yeah, I got something for y'all. Okay, okay, okay, since you know we're giving out ship you're not taking back this record.
Speaker 1: I just figured you want maybe one other one? Oh man, yes, I want. So these two copies came out. This is limited edition.
Speaker 3: I got to crack it open, right, Okay, that's how you crack it over Nintendo. Yeah, exactly. Okay, so you might want to. I'm gonna let you check it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, yeah, he's gonna take it from me anyway. You're going to give it to me Green. Oh, he's bullies my vity. That's a limited edition Green. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so the link on the bio link is on my mc serves bio will be on Pete's bio.
Speaker 3: You can go and get those right now.
Speaker 10: And you said the original pressing of this, they only did it on one one copy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was forty seven minutes aside, and we had a frame it and the Clark oh yeah. Locke used to complain about the grooves all the time, how thin they were and how like the base would want well, so we always talked about like, yo, there should have been a double album.
Speaker 3: I'm one of those deaths.
Speaker 5: We never got double royalties.
Speaker 3: Know we actually think you know what?
Speaker 1: And and that's I want to shout out Monty Lipman, and I do want to shout out the Libman brothers because once they became the chairman's of def Jam, they put me in Pete in the legacy program. So we got our first royalty checks ever in thirty five years. And August explain what that is the legacy So this is so the legacy program basically means.
Speaker 3: No, okay.
Speaker 1: So it's basically this, if you signed a fucked up deal before two thousand, they zero your debt.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: So that's basically it is only right. It's right. And we signed to Left Hand Records.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 3: He told me. He's trying to tell me that I didn't tell you. Seriously.
Speaker 5: I thought he's bullshited me. I didn't do it, so I have it. No, No, I thought that it wasn't possible. I thought he was sucking around with me.
Speaker 3: The music industry is trying to do good.
Speaker 1: For us, certainly for us, like I gotta be honest with you and shout out like Charlene Thomas at Death Jam, like She literally brought people from Hollywood to Hialiah to get this vinyl here for y'all today.
Speaker 3: Like, so shout out to Charlene, shout out to death Jam. They fucking Erica all of the people.
Speaker 1: There's people now that are running catalog like people that we knew, like Tina Dynham used to be the head of marketing who did Wayne Records. Now all she does is catalog and the same people who have the same energy. No, she's a reservoir She's she's a reservoir masters as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah she so she did the Day Long.
Speaker 5: Okay, she's on the board at the Hip Hop Museum as well, So I will say that. You know, it was also in the female group called four Pack.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I definitely feel like at least Monty who's now the chairman of Deaf gen and you can see what they're doing for the artists from our generation and how they're trying to like step up and do the right thing right because I remember hearing people said those contracts back in the days always had that word of perpetuity, and no one knew throughout the universe, no one knew what perpetuity meant.
Speaker 2: Since two thousand and five. Well even deeper. I'll go one step deeper.
Speaker 1: We signed it what's called an at will agreement, which means that we didn't sign a recording contract.
Speaker 3: We signed as at will employees to record a record.
Speaker 10: On behalf of deafth Gam like being an independent contractor correct, what.
Speaker 3: Is a work?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, that means they own our records for lot. Wow, we have to suit them at the Hip Hop Museum.
Speaker 5: We got contracts that would make your stomach to Joe Ski loves contract. People can see that a contract the Mic and Day of Records with SWEETYG and positive case first records on the Mic and Day label, like just crazy, and then even going up to like the early Hudan you know the first those are like the real first contract running them. But you know when we by the time we had our deal with deaf Jam, we were like kind of in that transition period, like people really didn't get paid until.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't know, No, we didn't get shipped. I mean, but I tell people this all the time. There's there's the left hand records side of it, and then there's the deaf Jam Records oute of it. Right, the left hand records side of it is. We didn't have off We met with Tom Silverman. Tom Silverman literally Tom Silverman was the head of Tommy Boys. We literally looked at me and Pete said, I can't give you more money than stets of Sonic.
Speaker 3: What am I gonna tell that yet?
Speaker 1: Like I'm like, what the fuck does that have to do with anything? So you know what I'm saying, Like, it wasn't like we had a lot of offers. It wasn't until after the Battle for World Supremacy that he, you know, Russell was like, oh, you.
Speaker 3: Know, we want to sign you. But it wasn't was a fault. Let me speak for y'all. Let me speak for y'all. Yeah, please.
Speaker 2: You probably didn't know you had his many offers because at that time we didn't have a Twitter. We didn't have But you guys are probably hot on the street.
Speaker 1: We were hot on the street because we were hot on the street, you know, because Pete had this radio show. I was in the quarters, I was battling people. Pete was outside with Clark like we were in the mix.
Speaker 2: That's my question is you said that there was in the office, but you didn't probably do extensive search.
Speaker 5: It was small.
Speaker 3: It was a small little.
Speaker 10: File select record and they were gonna find.
Speaker 3: You and yeah, and they didn't like I never seen plot Nikki, they didn't want to sign us.
Speaker 5: You know. We were also at the time when the Boys were blowing up, so that that was also something all these other big labels look like for that white group White Seas were like kind of had that Rockete and we were not that.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a great example because uh, you know when we came out, they had no other choice but the pis the mob deep. There was no other black kids from Queens in that area at the time. So it was that something that I want to say, just because because they wanted they wanted y'all to be the Beastie Boys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And then the thing is like there's been this talk like oh Russell got us to fill in for the Beastie Boys. We were already signed to we were Solos on Rush and even we just signed on def Jen after they left. So like I went to Leo's wedding, certain the Dominican reports could not go to the wedding because he had to work.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I couldn't go to the wedding because he didn't invite me to the woman he left.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, he didn't.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 5: Search was delivering chicken delay no ch Ganada, which was called the think Tank.
Speaker 2: It did not have a radio on sar you had you had a record deal and you were still delivering.
Speaker 3: So I was yeah. No, I had three job, young artists. No, I had three No, I had three jobs. Who's the three jobs?
Speaker 1: So the first job was I would drive Yeshiva boys from Queen's near you to Yeshiva's in Far Rockaway, so very religious Jewish schools.
Speaker 3: I would go from there, I said. I started four thirty in the morning. Then I go from there.
Speaker 1: I'd go to the harm and Y in Far Rockaway and I drove a truck, a food truck to homeless shelters. So I delivered food to homeless shelters all through the five boroughs in the twenty six foot of refrigerator. Then I'd come back at four point thirty. I'd get about a half an hour of sleep, and then I pick up the Ahiva boys and I take them back to Queen's to be about seven thirty eight, and then we go to studio. That was That was my rotation for a year.
Speaker 3: Even when.
Speaker 1: Get the crazy shit. Though, this was the crazy shit. So step into the AM is a video. It's out. I'm driving a truck in Brooklyn and this dude and I'm milk cookies butter crunch. This kid testing goes, ain't that you? And I'm like, nah, you know, but there was no money we got. I think our advanced was fifteen thousand dollars and something like that, like you know what I'm saying, like you know, and half of.
Speaker 3: That went to my mom. But I'm still gonna invite you to the wedding. He didn't invite me.
Speaker 1: He might see it differently. I didn't get invited to the wedding, no invite. When he went, you got, you got?
Speaker 3: He went he had invited you, he did not. Everybody went.
Speaker 5: It was like if that plane went down, all the hip hop would have been on, Yeah, hello, everybody, everybody is.
Speaker 3: Joe. I was not invited to the wedding. I was not invited. I always thought, like back in the day, like it is.
Speaker 5: What it is.
Speaker 3: I mean again, it's perception, right.
Speaker 1: So I'm a twenty one year old kid and I'm already telling you like I'm really not really seeing things, right, You know.
Speaker 3: I mean, like that's just how I saw things. I didn't see things right.
Speaker 1: I always said like, oh, ley'all loves Pete Russell loves me, Like that's how I always felt, like, oh, because it's you know what I mean, Like, that's just that was your perception of my perception. I felt totally opposite, like you know what I'm saying like that, so you know, you know what I'm saying. So so you know again he could have invited me. All I remember is I went to the airport, right, I was delivering chicken. I got finished delivering my gang. I knew there was something and I got them tumble umble and thinking that was crazy? Is those days there was no ts A. He walked in again. So I'm like Michael barn They're like who. I'm like, Michael Barren my ticket and I got the mambo and I'm crying in the airport. I'm watching everybody getting on the plane.
Speaker 3: With his wife, Simon fucking this one man he's with Rick. He left you too. He was like, I'll see you with my tan. I'm just showing rush. You know, it wasn't it wasn't there something about ll swimming with his hat yeah, like, oh, this is such a great story.
Speaker 5: He would go under in the waves and he would come up with the kango.
Speaker 3: Oh ship.
Speaker 5: You know you when I say you see him six o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: No no, so yeah, no no, no, no, no, no, no no no the fishers so what So there was supposedly this story that Ecstasy told me, may he rest in peace.
Speaker 3: Yes, l goes in the water, the kango comes up. That ain't out. So now everybody's going to the yo.
Speaker 1: Else hat because nobody knows what his head looks like. No one's seen him without the hat except his passport photo, right, So everybody's and this is what John X is telling me.
Speaker 3: Everybody runs to the water.
Speaker 1: Water is crystal clear, and they're looking and they're looking right, and they're looking and all of a sudden.
Speaker 12: Hands pull and he comes out commitment about comment that alopecia is a bitch.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. This morning the audition, what was it? What movie it was?
Speaker 2: Becomes he goes box. Was it crisical or yeah? Yeah, he just starts performing. That fucking scene is just so like.
Speaker 5: But it was on Legendary, that was on that's the time when we came up it was to ninety eight Elizabeth that office that was like the center of hip hop, and like we go in the office, we're next thceing. You know, we're playing their football, We're running thee on.
Speaker 3: That's not where Tom King was at, right, No, he was around around the corner. Okay, it was on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the next generation after that next week, you know, I speak jealousey.
Speaker 5: Yo, come on me, I gotta find rock him to get his passport photo for the Depth Champ during nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Right, you know it was yeah, we were like, yeah, we would watch Dante's house while he was road managing or being rocked him, like you know what I mean, Like this was like you know it and when you when when you teach, or when you educate, or when I go and lecture, when you watch kids' eyes when you say, okay, I come from a place where there was no thing called hip hop, there was no business, there was no streaming their eye's. All of a sudden, you become like an artifact, like how did you even survive?
Speaker 3: Right, like how did you even?
Speaker 13: Like you know?
Speaker 1: But it's the truth and Graham mixed the DXT says it all the time, he says, you know, we are a nameless culture that was given a name a by a machine.
Speaker 3: That doesn't even care about as an industry, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like the word hip hop came from the rappers the Light Record, and somebody wrote about it in the Village Voice and called it hip hop or whatever, like there was some periodical right.
Speaker 3: Like they had to define it to monetize it correct, and it wasn't.
Speaker 5: It was even even more like well wild style of the movie came out, they called it the hip Hop Movie. It started to spread and it just became known as hip hop. And you look on the flyers who looked on all the advertisements. It really started to show up after eighty three. Look at the first ten years, it wasn't even hip hop, wasn't even a thing.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a thing. It was just you were tagging on walls, you were dancing on floors, you know, and you guys era right, it was almost like.
Speaker 2: Like frowned upon to have a commercial record, a radio record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, being on the radio wasn't the best thing for true hip hop artist. You remember that list Out Goes the Weasel.
Speaker 5: The record we did was based on that, like we got offer commercials right, different things we turned down. We cannot do anything just because you didn't want to look like you were commercializing.
Speaker 3: Should selling out and the point we would try to do records that right, But that was the problem.
Speaker 1: It was it was the problem, and it was the point at the same time, because you know, for us to go commercial was corny, right, because every executive in the room was a cornball. They were all straight bozos, so they didn't know anything. So because they didn't know anything, how am I going to intercept your bozonees with authenticity and still be credible when I go home? Right, Because that's the shit I care about, Like, I don't live in commercial land.
Speaker 3: I don't live where you live.
Speaker 1: I got to go back to Redfern and o V and see my people. So there was no credibility in doing that. It's not like today where you know, the people that you're now talking in the rooms with grew up on fifty years of hip hop.
Speaker 10: But let me be honest, like now, if you're not commercial and you're not irrelevant in him honest for me.
Speaker 2: Right after you guys era, it was a time where like NAS was the most loved kid in the world, right love person in the world, right love man in the world, whatever we want to say.
Speaker 3: And then he came with that album.
Speaker 10: I believe it was written right after it was written the golden album Nomadic Illmatic, where a lot of people say he he might have made money, might have changed his life, might have got him out of the hood, but it wasn't that level of success.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a commercial success. It wasn't the commercial success.
Speaker 2: So people will argue you, like dam that took away from Knas, But some people will argue like that made actually the perfect foundation.
Speaker 3: So I would so Win Win has hip hop? When when did that ever?
Speaker 2: Because even Wu Tang, like Wu Tang's first album, I listened to that ship and if you go look at the algorithms of the album, at least seven or eight records were on the radio. They weren't promoted, but they were on the radio, and that was the algorithm at the time.
Speaker 3: So when didn't hip hop? When when did it come from? You being underground?
Speaker 2: But if your record happens to go commercial, it was still accepted. So I'll share two stories. Was a great question, by the way, this is a good question. You got too pioneers. This is that's honestly something I want to know because so I.
Speaker 1: Don't know that, right, So I can I can share two like practical points when we were talking about when I came to you and did.
Speaker 2: The public inemy public Inemy records was always underground, but they were they were they were selling to the people. It seemed like they were distant almost yeah no, yeah, And they were selling in Europe with the entire audience.
Speaker 5: So you have a bike planet the entire audience is white.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I was doing consulting for Nike in nineteen ninety three, right. I was working with a guy named Mark Ray and a woman named Kim White. And I played them a record where NA said I'm a Nike head. I would change that excite them, right, And I said to it in point blank, you should probably give me like fifty bands right now this for this mention, because I promise you what's going to happen is as soon as every kid in Queen's here's this, They're going to hang up their tims and go by Nikes. Right. And I was able to get them a check wow, right, just because I was consulting them and they believed me. But what I did was when I started working with Mark Echo and Echo Unlimited Market. So you know, you know it's funny you talk about, you know, anniversaries. This is the thirtieth anniversary of Echo, right, you know when we started it, Mark always had this philosophy of like, okay, we have to do.
Speaker 3: Natural integration, but commercialize it.
Speaker 1: Right, So we were talking about like when I did the CNN Michael, we went to the building because I said, Yo, where do you smoke?
Speaker 3: Where do y'all go hang out and smoke? Is that what we go to? So rushat and everything was.
Speaker 1: Grainy and it looked like we captured and when we dipped, when I shot Prodigy made Recipes and mob Deep, they were on the forty side of Vernet, hanging off on the bench, you know.
Speaker 3: So it was about having.
Speaker 1: Those voices in the room that could say, this is what's credible, this is what's real, this is what feels real because it is real.
Speaker 3: And we're talking to the artists because we're not coming up with some.
Speaker 1: Catchphraset a bunch of people, right, so like all the catchphrases, Like me and Buster were talking about it. When we did his it was him and his son to Zaia, who's now thirty something, right, and he his son had to go use the bathroom and were like, do you want to go with to Zaia, He's like, now, let him pull his pants down, he'll figure it out. I was like, that's the quote, and that was the quote. You know what I'm saying, like because it was real to what he was experiencing while he was in the clothes, while he was wearing the clothes. That was what was missing for me and Pete's era in ninety one. That's why we couldn't do Kentucky Fried Chicken ass.
Speaker 3: That's what we.
Speaker 1: Couldn't do because there was no one in there that we could correlate our realness, our authenticity and then have that become an eco siloed fucking no this zero. But when that goal would gravitate everybody that go is real. They got the real dudes, They got the real dog in retro aspect, right, and the bag was real like the bag that I was saying living in that time, right, it was.
Speaker 2: It was kind of crazy to say that we got messed up contracts, but let's not take these this money from over here, because we'll be corny for taking that money over there are we.
Speaker 3: Saying that we didn't care about our family? Know what we're saying.
Speaker 2: No, But but listen, if you say because you say Michael Jordan, they always say that Michael Jordan had one of the least powerful contracts in the NBA.
Speaker 3: But he went he all his money through Nike and.
Speaker 2: All this other ship, so he had a chance to hire good players around him. So what I'm saying is, back then, if all concerts were so fucked up back then, why was it fucked up for us to make it somewhere else?
Speaker 3: That's you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And the answer is because you would have been so fucked up that your credibility would have been fucked up.
Speaker 3: But even though it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: If nobody somebody, if somebody is a cornball, and one thing about you, right right, if somebody is a cornball, you fucking with them.
Speaker 2: And if somebody's a cornball and birdman, they co signed Lugs and they still survived.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't think that bad was that serious. But they add was that serious.
Speaker 2: Nobody listened to them, but nobody fucked with Ugs, and nobody was like fucked with Ugs regardless, Like no one went out and fucked with Uggs like lugs whatever they call nobody.
Speaker 1: Nobody fucked with it because that shi was for Gayzy and everybody knew it was a badground.
Speaker 5: Remember when they wanted us to be on Beverly Hills nine o two on Donnie Aner and Tommy Mottola were begging.
Speaker 3: Us, I would they should be so great.
Speaker 5: Episode where the whole that whole crew of kids goes to what depends what the scene and there's a band playing where the band and one of the kids gets slipped to Mickey. They get Mickey ospital or whatever whatever, and sure enough the group gets involved in the whole like it's the Scooby Doo episode or whatever.
Speaker 1: Drunks are bad, but we were just like listen, we would have been class hons in.
Speaker 3: Hindsight later I'm gonna be. But I can see it doesn't like you if you wouldn't understand was I was the whole era. I know, I know what you're saying, and I know back then that's what Warranton is about.
Speaker 1: This glory how about this? We go in for a reading from Malcolm X Okay, me and Pete that was gonna be a Malcolm.
Speaker 3: X Spike, I'm about to do so going on me, I'm.
Speaker 1: So we get in Sam Jackson is dare he's reading with us in Spike and we get the sides and it's c O one CEO two, and he wants us to read.
Speaker 3: When they asked Malcolm Little his numbers and when he didn't give his red red in jails, Malcolm Little real name like little saying saying, and he kills it. He like kills the.
Speaker 1: Reading and Sam's nah and and and and I'm not really killed it. And then Pe just goes really.
Speaker 3: Like, this is what you want us to do? Really?
Speaker 5: And I was like, do you walk into a movie there? You see third dase.
Speaker 3: I was acting acting acting. I can see that it is active, but hold taking that? You know, how would the hood taking that hood taking describe.
Speaker 2: Wout'll y'all describe it? And this is real talk. Yeah, error was too hardcore.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: It's true yea, but you know nothing you can about that. My generation half real just.
Speaker 10: Kept them.
Speaker 3: Why it's true. It's true. Like what you're saying right now was.
Speaker 2: Like, yo, you know what the hood, the respect, the look, it's more important.
Speaker 1: My boys would actually vegutory something. Yeah, of course, even said to the Spike, I said, Spike, when was the last time somebody asked you to play a show for in a movie? And then we placed and we rock and I said, and then you know, I did Bamboozoo, you know, two thousand and had a better look.
Speaker 14: But like it was, it would have been horrible for us. Yeah, it would have been horrible. That would like, yo, would have been like nickname. He just looked at me, just still upset about it.
Speaker 3: He was upset. I can't understand.
Speaker 2: I can understand because an acting everything is warranty, right, right, right, you know what I mean, So I can understand it.
Speaker 3: But on the street people take that shit.
Speaker 1: Thespians trying to just do this right, and it wound up being to Thespians and it got two actors and who knows who they are, and nobody cared.
Speaker 5: But if it was us, right, yeah, that's a serious subject.
Speaker 3: Let me really serious.
Speaker 5: Let me see.
Speaker 1: Because I even said to him, because I read at that time, I was reading Malcolm X at least once a year. I said, Yo, there's that scene in Colombia when the student walks up to Malcolm and he's going to do the thing. He says, Yo, I don't have a racist bone in my body. And even though I'm white, isn't there anything I can do? When Malcolm looks at her and goes no and keeps moving, I said, why can't he close to Columbia?
Speaker 3: Like, Yo, why can't we do that role? Like it's fucking authentic. He fucking graduated Magnicum louder degree in English. Let them other do that. Now, that's real. But acting is whatever so real? Like everything was real, even Belly. I remember when not Belly people were really thinking he was. People were asking me, when's your man getting out? I'm like, I'm from where where was he hitting from?
Speaker 2: In retrospect, this is something that I know, Uh, you're close to is I believe when it comes to acting and people sticking with those roles that they categorized ass I believe Bishop was the one, oh Tupac, Like I don't. I believe both of you guys know Tupac. I've never met Tupac. Right before that, people said he became.
Speaker 5: We heard it because Rich Daddy Rich was in juice with him and saw the transformation from when we were on tour, Like we.
Speaker 3: Tupac used to come in my Digital underground. He was with Digital, he was dancing. You would just come in the room. He would free style.
Speaker 5: Two us trying to get it. He's trying to like, what what do you think?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 5: I'm like, that's all right, you know, and base and he he's actually walking up to Rich and saying, you're Rich, Can I help you carry your cases?
Speaker 3: You need you help? Yeah.
Speaker 5: We we bought him whoppers everything. He was such a good dude though, like you was a good dude.
Speaker 1: Like and we would be on the road and you know, Shock g ma Res and Pece and me, like he would just play the keys and we would freestyle damn it all night, this off the top of our head about how much we loved each other, how much we loved where we were at, how much we love how we were moving, you know, and and it was just it was family.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's really like a family, like you know, we play pool with Queen Latifa and Mooney, or we'd work.
Speaker 3: Out with this one. It's really a family.
Speaker 10: But that kind of the moral of this whole story is that back then it was like a small community and doing certain things would kind of exile you from that community.
Speaker 3: But back to what he saying.
Speaker 5: So Tupac once we want a conversation, told me about his mom, and I see that he had like these friendship bracelets and like a silver bracelet and just like a little silver chain with a little silver madown. He's like, you never wear gold. Tells the whole story about the gold trade, and so he's in Jews. Rich reports back to us, like I think Tupac thinks he's this character, like he saw it right in from his face. So we do this show and uh, I think it was a Gavin at the Townsend. And we walked to the side stage and who's standing there in the corner with this big dookie cable on with the big gold medallion. No, no, like Brenda got a baby. We clowned him and he was like, yeah, he was pissed.
Speaker 3: Man. Like we were like, yo, whatever going on, homie? Yeah, slave man? You know, yeah, that's all that.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day, Like we were all young, like we were all really young, like making thank you, we were making adult decisions as children, like you know what I mean, Like I think about like the decisions I made about the demise of our partnership at twenty three years old, Like I got kids, you know, my kids at thirty, twenty and twenty seven, Like, I can't imagine my kids at twenty three making the decisions.
Speaker 3: That I was making. I was, I was just not capable of making those decisions.
Speaker 5: Real talk, you got something to say, I'll just say, like when we get Daddy Richard here, he'll you can go one up with that two punk story.
Speaker 3: He was in the battle scene.
Speaker 5: You know, rich rich was right on the set and he's got a good perspective on that.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 10: I think when we talk about whether it be pop or big, we we talk about them now as if like if they were older, not remembering that these were young men, really young men, yeah, doing what they were doing and making the mistakes that young people do, right, but we're trying to bring them to our age now like oh that was fucked though they did this and expect you know.
Speaker 1: That's what I love about what like Wallow did with Kodak Black and what Wallow did with Thugs. Like you know, there's certain people that are in the podcast space right that really take it upon themselves to like understand like if we're going to really uplift this next generation of kids that are really getting money, like insane amounts of money. Yeah, we have to start to level the playing field in terms of what they understand about commerces, what they understand about not just being a brand, but what they understand about brand responsibility, brand focus, brand vision, you know, really bringing them into a level of conversation that they'll they'll get because if they don't, they'll find themselves already five and broke.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's up. Yeah, Thomas.
Speaker 10: Before we get into that, I want to ask you going back a little bit the Beastie Boys, what was the rift there?
Speaker 3: I'll start.
Speaker 5: You want to start one Riff was my best friends in college. My roommate, he wrote sake he went to school with Mike d and my other boy Mike and uh Ad Rock went to school with that boy and she disagreed to a killy and uh m c A went to school with all of the men, even when playma school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 5: They always looked at them as like, you know, you're coming up, you're a white kid in Brooklyn whatever, you know, the kids who were down with hip hop. Basically they're saying like they were not down with hip hop when they were down with hip hop.
Speaker 3: So it was it was like yo, those kids because they came to a punk sy, but the punksy came up together.
Speaker 5: Well that's if you told to me and search about the punk Sy, we could tell you anything.
Speaker 3: About the punk sea correct were. But that's just like, no, it doesn't boy boy, one guy who was in both things.
Speaker 1: But the kids like like like there was a guy named Dave Skilkin, May rest in peace. He was there like their guy, like there was two people captain, yeah, may rest in peace. And that's the sucky thing about doing this at fifty seven is how many people you gotta bless right, which is another reason.
Speaker 3: Why we're sitting here today.
Speaker 1: So the whole thing, at least my side, was I really didn't understand how Russell was moving with our contract. And Russell was living in Barrow Street at the time. Right up the block was Mike D's apartment, and Mike D was with this kid showing the Captain karasof who was there manager May rest in peace. And I was so frustrated, I said, fuck it, I'm knock on Mike D's doing.
Speaker 3: Just ask them see how.
Speaker 5: Because this is the famous blogoney story?
Speaker 3: Is this?
Speaker 5: Is this the bloney story ane story?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I don't know. I don't know what that bologna, but I'm gonna find out. So I went upstairs.
Speaker 1: So I went upstairs to his apartment. Sean's knocked down on the on the sofa. I go to speak to Mike. They had just left Deaf Jaine and they just signed their deal a Capital, and I said, hey, man, like I don't really understand what the fuck is going on, Like, help me understand, like how Russell moves?
Speaker 3: We got this deal? Who are you talking to again?
Speaker 5: Sorry, Mike d Okay, let's just salute Mike d here yes being the richest person because he saw his mother's art collection for like five hundred million. Get hurricane Man, Hurricane many.
Speaker 1: So so I go to ask him these questions and we're having like a real conversation. He's like, yo, you know, be careful with this, be careful with that. You know you might want to.
Speaker 3: Check with this, check your lawyer about that. As I'm leaving, I turned a safe peace. He starts throwing ship at me like a rubber ducky.
Speaker 5: Iought he was a piece of bloney, was throwing a rubber.
Speaker 3: Ducky at me and showing all of a sudden wakes up. He throws a cheeto at me, and I'm like, and I'm like and they're laughing. So I'm like, all right, dare whatever, and I left.
Speaker 1: And then fast forward and Spin magazine there's this article and they asked the guys about third base and Mike says, yeah, I know. Search Like he came to my crib, I threw ship at him. I was like, oh, fuck you, it's on. So we were in the studio and I was like, yeah, son's a third base, it's on. Fuck you, fuck y'all. I'm gonna son you, fuck y'all.
Speaker 5: And that Sam Subver took me to a spot where his barber was and like ed Rod walked in with that actress that he was with the time. Be Nice was saying that he didn't do anything. He became his thing. But I mean we were on death Gym. Well we weren't on deaf Jair. We were just on rush at the exact same time that they were still signing and everything. So that time of Leo's wedding, they were still on death Jam.
Speaker 3: That's when.
Speaker 5: That's when Lee or lew York kind of took over Grub and left, and that's when the VC.
Speaker 3: Boys left, right at the same time he went to Capitol while yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Well actually they went nowhere for a while and then because they had to get off the deal, like three or four years to get off the deal.
Speaker 3: It seems like when they when.
Speaker 5: They said they had tapes of Russell doing something in the back of h C, I said, he had a VHS tape, but Russell in the back of a.
Speaker 3: Bus, and that deal just got settled real quick.
Speaker 5: And the in New Music Express that's not like secret, it's like writing an interview.
Speaker 3: Was he kidding? I don't know. That's there a lot of tapes flying right, a lot of tape. I was like, QuickTime, listen, those are some mid tours. But did you guys ever.
Speaker 1: This questioned, Actually, when their book came out, they asked me to do that section of the book. They asked me to do the audio and me and when I had I had a syndicated show called The Old School Show and MCA had produced a documentary called Gunning for the Number One Spot, which trussed about like AU basketball, and I interviewed him and when they Peace about a year before he died.
Speaker 3: So it was really cool because we got to talk about it.
Speaker 1: And the thing that was real funny was as we were closing it out, I told him how I felt about him.
Speaker 3: He said thanks. I said, Now we're going to end the show with Sons of the Third Base.
Speaker 1: He's like, no playing because they had a silly Professor record that was their disc record and.
Speaker 3: He's like the So he was like, no, you better play that ship. So yeah, so it favorite songs to perform. Oh shit, Professor, there is a Professor the dis record?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 13: Is it like that?
Speaker 2: Like you know, Kevin Hard and these people always accused like there can't be one black actor at one time?
Speaker 3: Is it like that in the white world?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 1: Definitely when us when we were coming up, the actually, whether it was only today, would be one DJ do the worst of the label dude who gets.
Speaker 5: A coffee is in hip hop it's a chip on the shoulder because there that's.
Speaker 3: There can only be one. There can only be one.
Speaker 1: Only nineteen eighty nine, I would say, from nineteen eighty nine, damn near the nine to two thousand, it can only be one.
Speaker 3: Can we describe from that era? From the White Wrapper.
Speaker 5: See you gotta go back to listen, Yeah, go back when and me and Vanilla B probably the only three. Like I got a picture of Search at Prospect Park that with Paradise on stage, Rock Kim's first show where he's got a pair of tight shorts, socks all the way up, ready to do angles.
Speaker 3: And on stage Rock Kim is before his March show went to vine House. That's wow.
Speaker 5: But like we were, he was down with Tony d and the Bad Boys, you know Lamumba Professor X was my first manager. Like I was down with this group Sinking where we were with Dana Dane as parts. So we were like at the same time the VC boys were actually blowing up. Yeah, we were kind of like more on that underground scene and we were like me and so she used to do for twenty five bucks fifty bucks. We'd announced show, Dax said, Hotel Amazon Amazon to positive. We introduced Rob Base first Rob first show, every Rock.
Speaker 3: Who Mark Kemp was the DJ may rest In piece, Like yeah, I mean like like that.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: We were like like people would always say, like who the fuck are those guys?
Speaker 1: Like we would get into everything, like like there the batties outside of the Red Parrot.
Speaker 3: We'd walk by past them like who the boys?
Speaker 5: We never record out and so I just like, yo, We're going to Devonport, Iowa with King's son. Next thing, you know, we're on a vand yeah, I went to Devonport, Iowa King Son and his crew.
Speaker 3: And it was showing a flood zone. It's like, you know, we would just move around.
Speaker 1: We were always moving around because people coming up that time, they knew that we weren't trying to like.
Speaker 3: Appropriate the culture.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Pete had a dope ass radio show, you know what I mean, Like it was dope, like they played real ship and you know, I had promos on Red Alert.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 5: The highlight of my career and Rich Daddy Rich's career was when Red Alert played the promo that we made for him about the radio show, and it was played in between the Public Enemy and the Jungle Brothers promo.
Speaker 1: We were like the promod like that when you were when you heard a promo, Yeah, the search is always getting.
Speaker 3: Yo. It was like you were the most famous mother fucker.
Speaker 1: And they would just say to me, I would get fifty dollars for people to just have me go to shows and get.
Speaker 3: Dished getting Wait what, I don't get this. No, It's just.
Speaker 1: Like I had a record called hey Boy and like and I like so my promo was like hey Boy, like hey Boy, and I'd be like, Yo, what a baby, and she's like, no, I'm not telling you.
Speaker 3: I'm about Red Alert and I'd be like, damn, Search is always getting Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was self deprecating, but at the same time, like a shout out to Red Alert because I'm God Alert me my first lawyer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like unbelievable. That's how me and Chris Lighting met, called Chris Lighting Rest in Peace. Yo.
Speaker 1: We used to carry red S crates. So at this time Chris had a white maximum right because he was moving going back and forth see his dad in Baltimore. So we moved back and forth from Baltimore right, and he would have REDS crates. We would go to kiss, he would put the record, put his crates in the maximum, and then we go to the Latin Quarter. Me and Search met at the Latin Quarter. I was LB, We're standing in front of Latin Quarter. This Lincoln Town car pulls up the Search pop out.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: He had some sort of it was either a shirt kings or like an acid washed bedazzled Yeah, yeah, I know, like.
Speaker 3: With with like a Rtstone thing.
Speaker 1: Was it that?
Speaker 3: So I had two I had two shirt kings. One one was was me my face that said hey boy on it that I would you know, and that come the promo. I think about that one. So, and I was going to a show I was. I was performing at night July eighty six. He was before the Flyer, right, he was Tony D.
Speaker 1: So Tony D got me an executive like a town car, like a local car from Brooklyn to bring me this show.
Speaker 5: And so me and Blake are standing in front, sears popping out. Now Blake went to high school with him. I had just heard wreck Search's record. Heard he was a white guy. I had a record on p Fine.
Speaker 3: It was like wow.
Speaker 5: I saw Melissa that he had out and I was like, man, this motherfucker beat me to it. And you know, I'm with Blake. We had this group called the Servant Generals at the time. Search comes out, Yo, Pete Searcher give him pound and he just kind of like says all right and just just walk was getting ready to go down.
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't dance. It's dance battle everybody, and.
Speaker 5: This goes on the white boy on the shoulder. Years later, I get a call from Blake out of nowhere. I haven't I talked to him for years, Like yo, feet Search was just on this thing. He said that me and you were waiting outside of the l Q because we could not get in and he had to get us in. He didn't get us in. We always got in. I'm like, yes, Blake, we always got in. Why is this bothering you so much? So? But that was just the type of thing where, you know, we that's the first time we ever met. And then obviously you know by the time we would go. We went to Red Aler's birthday party. Search me and Search went the Green Acres mall Red Birthday and got him. Look wait wait wait, we got to know so searchs like, yo, get the frosted mug, yep with the with the hatching on it. Happy if you've learned to have you DJ Redler gets it, wraps it up and everything.
Speaker 3: But he was fifty back then. No no, no, it's the no no no. I was telling him, O, yo, we got to get some special that he'll always remember.
Speaker 1: So it was his fifth anniversary fifty and I said fifth anniversary, Red, And I think it costs like twenty five bucks.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of It was a lot for us. So we will be going to l Q.
Speaker 5: Comes up, Reds on stage, searches like, makes a big presentation, walks up, gives it to him. But it's like, oh, thank you. Search Chris Rock, who's doing the stand up and intros, He's like.
Speaker 3: Yo, search, where'd you get that? At Greenacre Malls?
Speaker 5: Twenty five dollars? And everybody lost all and everybody out you up? Yeah, but I mean it was it was a thought that kind of Red loved it. But I mean, I'm just saying that that's where, you know, Chris Rock is doing the you know, the intros again. Yeah, it's like, you know, but that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Like. It was, you know, it's really hard to explain to people that there was I have a homegirl named Shelby who used to work for like Electra and everything.
Speaker 3: She's like a PR person.
Speaker 1: She really succinctly nailed this. There's so many people culturally that like, like Nick Quested, who just did this amazing documentary, Crazy crazy, Crazy Infiltrated. It's crazy to you, Nick question, I say, I'm quested dance with me and Bobbido and Nick's fucking and Bob's apartment on fourteenth Street.
Speaker 3: We were break dancing b boy in and.
Speaker 5: He's got all the good pictures he took.
Speaker 3: He won an Academy award.
Speaker 1: Like yo, she said, Yo, we were just some kids bugging out. We had no idea how we were going to impact culture. We were just some kids bugging out. We were kids from New York. We just run the street. Now we run culture. Like kids that tagged they fucking curate the Louver, kids that fucking went to Columbia curate the Hip Hop Museum. Started out as my barber on ninety sixth Street, Like you know what I mean, Like he's a curator of basketball culture around the world. Like all of us come from this fucking era of just some kids bugging out. Norri was fucking and fucking Iraq. We're just some kids bugging out.
Speaker 5: And by the way, let's give it up to yes the clippery.
Speaker 3: And sub rocks.
Speaker 1: But that's you know, she really hit it, like we were just some kids bugging out, and we went from standing what we were doing to be really understanding how it can make a living for our family doing what we continue to do, right, you know, like and I and I've said this to you a million times. And I took him on the road and he went to radio stations. I mean it was so fucking disrespectful, bro, Like he would be on the morning show. Leave the morning show, the program director operations, manage to go?
Speaker 3: Does he want to do mornings? Your morning shows? Right here? Like why are you he don't want to do what? He's already in the van asking either we want to go to the next spotcast? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like you could see, you could just see the elevation, like you could see and we were just some fucking kids bugging out in New York having a good time doing what we love to do.
Speaker 3: Like you know, I remember telling Russell when this album was gonna drop, all I cared about there were three records stores in far Rockaway and won the Rockaway Park.
Speaker 1: I just cared about those those stores selling out the record. And He's like, well, I care about it a whole lot more than you do. I want to sell a whole lot more records than you do.
Speaker 10: Trust me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, I just I need my hood just I need just sold out my hood.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you, right, because it's something that I can't like. You know, I'm Puerto Rican, right, so I'm gonna be prepared to to the Puerto Ricans for the.
Speaker 3: Rest of my life. Right.
Speaker 2: It does not matter like I don't care, you don't grow out of it. And it's not saying the fact that they say, oh, you're nice for a Puerto Rican.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. I'm sure you get that. You know what I mean? Like you know how they said up like, oh you're nice.
Speaker 2: But there was a whole era of like that white genre of music, right right, Beastie Boys And when does where does that start? You said in eighty nine because I believe you said something and that you said it is before that.
Speaker 5: Well they blew up in eighty six, I mean was in White Boys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were signed a select to me, I'll tell you at least to me again my perspective. Yes, everlast who was in House of Pain was part of rhyme syndicate signed like crack Whip. You know what I'm saying, Bash get drunk, yo, And while I begetting drunk with that Bible of Rose not keeping my trunk like yo, he.
Speaker 10: He was nice, wasn't he? Was he dating Carmen Electro back thenism he had her in the video zone.
Speaker 3: That was that was earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this was like this was earlier, so like so then he was he was there, then we were there, and then all of a sudden there were like iterations of third base like you know what I mean, like big Men on Campus got signed to select.
Speaker 3: Shuck milkhonebone the problem.
Speaker 1: So here's the problem with milkpone and this again my personal You're right, Milkphone was nice.
Speaker 3: His name wasn't nice. His name was because he was down with naughty by nature, like for somebody didn't even know that he was. So he was like that. So like Cypress Hill.
Speaker 1: Had the Hooligans, which is out Scott with Scott com an alchemist right, like all of a sudden, every Alchemist and every so every group had to have one, like every dre had m So now every black dope artist.
Speaker 3: Had to have one, like I gotta find a white boy like everybody. You think it was that thought out, I don't think.
Speaker 1: When I when I did right after I did O C, after I made the OC album work life and all of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, fucking toms yo. That album word Life an yo.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So right after that we put together nonfiction, right, so it'll bill clips, a box go text. I'll never forget what David Geffen and Wendy Goldberg said to me. They said, I don't need this group to be underground. I need this group to get with Dre and be the next sh next.
Speaker 3: That's the pain.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, no, they're the hip hop Ramones. I said this in ninety six. I said, they're the hip hop Ramones. They're never going to need a hit record, and they're going to tour for the rest of their fucking life. And you have to figure out how to monetize the records because we're going to monetize their career.
Speaker 3: You figured that shit out.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to fucking do what you do on the alternative hip hop side, but they're the hip hop ramones.
Speaker 3: Be clear what labels? They weren't a major, Yeah, so what we adomination?
Speaker 1: So how we did it was we had them on a major, but we put out records independently through fab Beats, right, So that's Eli is Christ and all of that. That was still Geffen, but we were treating it like an indie, but Geffen was funding everything.
Speaker 10: Oh wow, that's early because that ended up happening a lot later on exactly right.
Speaker 1: That was the first time that a major label allowed an incubator program to happen. And thirty years later, thank goodness, Nonfiction and is still touring and they are the Ramones of hip.
Speaker 3: Hop, like they will tour forever. Was company floorredy Out, No, they came after.
Speaker 2: So they didn't let's name Uh then okay, didn't eminem have like, but we've got bubble sparks.
Speaker 3: That's not forget bubble later?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right, because like with N Too Deep, like N Too Deep, how to pretend not to be Latin because you know, lighter shade around, they had to pretend not to be Latino because there was no category.
Speaker 10: If you're a kid frost, you're told, oh my god, your head would explode, ruthless.
Speaker 3: You like you know what I'm saying. I I met.
Speaker 1: I had a group and I hope they're watching. They were from South America called they had a record Sounds that they somebody else Yo.
Speaker 3: This record is.
Speaker 1: Called WAW And all that record was was the noise that the pistol made in the club. Your head ducks down. In Spanish, they said the head ducks down because the pistols. I was, did you get these motherfucker's a deal to save my life? I couldn't get him a deal to say, but see if they I still listen to the ship to this day.
Speaker 3: That record was fire.
Speaker 5: I had this kick Cage who in his demo for Faith Newman said he was going to catch a Sony exactly hit the thought off in his.
Speaker 3: Chest, you know, so like he was not getting signed. He was kind of like and he had bet for Eminem. I guess they bad a little bit, but he was kind of like.
Speaker 5: A version of Eminem before Eminem could be, you know, decipher them with dre You know.
Speaker 3: Here's a trivia question because hold, let me say something. It seems like.
Speaker 2: This is obviously me outside looking at the inside of looking out, But it seems like once that person is at the top, it's like all of they go at the top like they want to they want an Eminem spot. Like I remember one year it was I felt like Eminem. It felt like whoever got hot like Eminem had to like shut them down. But it felt like they were attacking it. No, I mean, but them was attacking He said, what, I'm nicer than Pete. I'm on a search across the milk bone like yo, he was. He was going after everybody. Yeah, he was going after everybody.
Speaker 1: But the point I was just going to say to you was like, you're talking about white rappers, right, who is the white who's the only white rapper to do a record with Biggie M?
Speaker 3: But not a lot?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, not m M did a record post who's the only white rapper to do a record with Biggie?
Speaker 3: He's supposed to be googling like Texas text didn't mentioned did he mention? The universe is not the answer You're going to say, it's you.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm not gonna say so. The answer is already the rugged man. Oh already already had.
Speaker 3: Biggie in the studio. So so, and I say, and I say it, but I say that to.
Speaker 1: Say, there was like this incredible movement for about two years between ninety four ninety six were all these underground mcs eclips.
Speaker 3: You remember this too, Like ninety four ninety.
Speaker 1: Six, there was all these really dope white MC's that people were like, yo, this kid's well.
Speaker 10: The Underground was perfect for that because it didn't discriminate. It's just you're just dope. You're dope.
Speaker 3: And Big Hot, Big was hot and he did.
Speaker 1: This record with fucking It and it was perfect because Ra was crazy out his mind.
Speaker 3: Fucking Biggie was on that shit. It was gonna go back listen to that.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, man, shit is crazy. So the point is, So the point is there was this period of time and how it kind of went left, not to his demid, not to his fault, but M became a rocket.
Speaker 3: Shit wow, because he became so much that it is too.
Speaker 1: Much my name is And everybody's like, oh, that's the theorem. That's the theory. Everything else goes to fat beats, everything else goes indie and if we don't find that, then it's not worth making.
Speaker 5: And that's, by the way, the BC Boys were differently earlier.
Speaker 10: Even though M comes from that because he comes through the fat Beat, he comes through all of that.
Speaker 3: Game Bad verse E Bolm and Royce like you know what I mean album like it was that that trajectory that Hi, my Name is and it was over and.
Speaker 10: Dre because Dre is the obvious the formula that takes.
Speaker 3: It to that level. Obviously obviously, So you know, and there was that, and then you look at to like and then really think about it. Ninety eight, ninety nine, two thousand.
Speaker 1: Name of White MC that made that impact Besize M two thousand and one, two thousand and two, Bubbles Fight.
Speaker 3: Bubble had one record nineteen ninety seven, ninety.
Speaker 1: Bubble lasted like a couple of albums. Yeah, I mean, but that one record was any six ninety six, ninety seven, ninety eight Bubba Arrow for Timberland.
Speaker 2: I think Bubbles like more two thousand, yeah, but more like two thousand yea fe so, but two thousand and one, two thousand and two, two thousand and three, until you get to like Yellow w War one record.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five, two thousand and six, I'm still going by the WAK two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't until Action Bronson actually in two thousand and nine, two thousand and eight, wow, that you started to have, oh, maybe there can be more than one, maybe they can be Oh here comes Jack Carlow.
Speaker 3: Out of Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Were fucking putting out records in twenty twelve, which is the changing of the way that music is being The gatekeepers are now gone consumed, right, There's no more gatekeepers because then you have Blogger era going into this era going into this era, and SoundCloud or whatever, strength and Mac Miller if Maxim Miller's Mac Killer.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So again, the white rapper, the plight of the white rapper was the gatekeeper yep, right, and the black co sign and then you eliminate all of that just by making music. Who's this girl now, Georgiana. She's killing the fucking internet, right, but the mic from Indie, Yeah, Michigan City, Indiana, She's fucking killing them.
Speaker 3: She's fucking killing them. Right.
Speaker 1: But we're in a period of time now where we're fifty years plus and there's no generational gap for these kids. I look at an artist like Body James, right, Body's killing them right now?
Speaker 3: Does a record with Harry Fraud? No one cares? Right.
Speaker 1: Producers is different, like you could be a white producer and be dope. It's got storage, right, right, Alchemist, Yes, congratulations to him too. Out of the year, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: For the year like forever. But there's always been Graham Jones shout out to them for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's always been this gatekeeper level that's like, Okay, this is where you can be. You can be a spectator, but not a participated And the one thing that the Internet did the good thing, was.
Speaker 3: It allowed the gatekeepers to fall back.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it allows a lot of great music to come out, because that's a whole other different story, but at least it allows artists to be artists and then you make up the decision whether they're dope or not.
Speaker 10: I think what the Internet did is it took away the divisions between the different underground scenes.
Speaker 3: Because in the underground scene, if you're dope, you're dope. That's it.
Speaker 10: That's all it mattered. If you're whack, you whack. And it took away the Internet is like, Okay, now we can see these different underground scenes and we can connect it in its one big underground scene.
Speaker 1: No. I Love, I Love and the A Ball and mjg shit when he played Glorilla and gave her fucking flowers and said she really represents Memphis the right way, right right, because that's ultimately what I want, like for Far Rockaway, Keene Streets represents Rockaway the right way. Moulah represents Rockaway the right way. Like I want the artists that come from my hood, I want them to represent my hood the right way. You know what I'm saying. And there's our does that do that in every in every hood and every genre that it doesn't matter what kind of music, you just want to make sure they represent.
Speaker 3: Your hood the right way.
Speaker 5: At the Hip Hop Museum, we're trying to represent everything that you just mentioned, and think about all the different artists, all the different platforms. It's it's just so hard to bring under one roof and try to represent it all properly, right, It's it's it's insane. Well, it's almost important.
Speaker 10: Time with slimes A being sane ready control you gotta know, we gotta bring that rich Okay, let's go.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a designated drink, a drink for want.
Speaker 10: Set them up, you gotta okay, we'll get a new one. Set them up with a mic uh as well? Want me to move down? No, he's over there. You gott explain them the game so they know, well Search knows the game, all right, So these are the rules, fellas. We're gonna give you two choices. You pick one, we don't drink. If you say both of neither, which is the PC answer, then everybody drinks.
Speaker 5: At the tape.
Speaker 3: Obviously you have a designated drinker.
Speaker 10: The real reason for this game is not to pin anybody against each other, to bring up stories about anybody we mentioned. Let's talk about history, give us some good stories. Let's talk about people. You know what I'm saying and places.
Speaker 5: Cool?
Speaker 10: You're ready, you all ready? We got the shots. Ready, we gotta get we gotta get everything you need to. This guy's ready to pop a question, all right, talking to you?
Speaker 3: No, no, I'll ask one.
Speaker 1: So since we did verses, let's not do versus. Let's do concerts. Who would you want to see third Base on the road.
Speaker 3: With nice and smooth public enemy? I like, I like nicest. These are all good answers. By the way, there is no wrong answer. I was just candy. It's all legend of the classics.
Speaker 5: We were thinking that boy to squash beef tour all the all the groups.
Speaker 3: Yo, that's crazy. Let me tell you you.
Speaker 1: Know what's crazy though, And I will say this after no, no, no, no, they have beef internally after the word hit Dress called me on Monday and said, Joe, me and Law made peace. Wow, he said, me and Law made peace. And like and there's like all of these like I hear rumblings that Everlast is talking to fucking Danny boy again, and this one's talking to this Beef Well. I mean, I don't know, you know, but I'm just here, like even like word is Pete rock and Seale smooth? Like I again, I don't know, but I know that like Dress called me and said, Joe, we made peace.
Speaker 10: If you and Pete could do it, we can do You know what, I'd like to see you guys with Hammer on tour.
Speaker 3: That was that was about those boys.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, you know, honestly, like I said, man, I would love to make amends with that man. You know what I'm saying, I think is a super legend. To be honest, I think the Beef squads workers. You still have totally different algorithms.
Speaker 3: I don't believe. I think that you could work. I think I don't think we have the same thing. I think it could work, man, I think it could work. I mean I think a lot of shit could work. I like to do a reality already. Yes, let me get my mama. Juan already.
Speaker 5: Can we give a toast to the best show d J in history?
Speaker 3: Daddy Original?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Yeah, you know all right nas or ll nos Yeah, Jay z or Big Daddy Kane, Big Daddy Big Daddy Cane. If one of y'all is off, then we're all drinking. That's the way we're doing it. Yeah, I gotta be on the same. No disrespect, I mean.
Speaker 1: No disrespect to Jay, But bottom line is there's no Jay without King.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and remember any stories because we just went I mean we all we all remember any day being on the road with Can, like we all remember, you know that.
Speaker 3: Was his crew.
Speaker 10: Any standout story seeing him on the road.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I just remember, like we all, we would all try to find the waves, lose a lot of money to Can. Yeah, I lost a lot of money plans dice. But I remember us always trying to find red lobsters wherever we wanted to go.
Speaker 3: We'd always try to find a red lobster. Immediately made me hungry. Yeah. In fact, I heard we're going to like Jerobi's restaurant after.
Speaker 5: This, So.
Speaker 1: Okay yoah o day in and day or slick Wig you skipped one Bro you get it? Uh, And they were in the same group. You know, Yeah, I heard Cano Crew. So here's the here's a story here, here, here's a story.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 1: So when I was growing up in Redfern, we would listen to these two set tapes fourth and fifth Generation get set tapes of parties in Prospect. I used to love those because there was always a group called the Kno Crew. I couldn't really hear what they said because there was fourth fifth Generation, so that the time it got to Far Rockaway, it sounded like the teacher and fucking peanuts.
Speaker 3: So it's like.
Speaker 1: But they sounded nice. That's all I knew is they had British accents. Sounded nice, British accents. Yeah, and they were like, well Ricky d. It wasn't like rick here's Ricky d Wow.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, they're dope.
Speaker 1: So I get into this high school called Music and Art right, and it's the first day of orientation. I take the A train from Far Rockaway to one hundred and thirty fifth in Convent, go to school, go to the lunch room for orientation and there's these for do roots in Kangos, the Tigra Permanent Crease Lee's and Fucking Walli's and they're doing Indian Girl, and all the freshman guys had like a senior that took you around.
Speaker 3: The guy who took me around was named Steve Bosco May Rest in Peace.
Speaker 1: And I'm trying to impress him because I'm in this white kid with a jew fro and I'm from Far Rockaway and how am I going to notice? So Steve, it's the Caango Crew. They're doing Hill Bully Girl. He goes, now, motherfucker, that is the Cago Crew. And it was like the first time I ever saw a rock star on my life. It was Ricky d Lance, Romance Omega and Dana Dane Wow Wow so. And the one skit that they started doing in high school in nineteen eighty was a skit called Lottie Dottie. We like to party, we don't cause trouble, we don't bother nobody. There was no record, It was just their routine and when we rock upon a mic, we rock and all they would go right, and it was a.
Speaker 3: Skit that they would do at parties. Yo.
Speaker 1: I bit that whole shit. I would at first girls in Far Rockaway, like you want to hear.
Speaker 3: My rhym lotty dotty relaxable. We don't go in trouble, we don't right. So for me and fucking Dana, I know you watching this, and I love you Dana because you're my man. I gotta go with rick. I gotta go Ricky Dean.
Speaker 1: Because because for me as much as I love Cinder Fella, Dana, Dane and and Clark obviously, like that's Great Adventures album. It's crazy, that's crazy. It's crazy. Part of storytelling that he did with Okay, this is crazy, like he still got bars So and Dana, I love you know I love you Dana.
Speaker 5: So I got a personally first show I ever did with the first group. I was in SyncE quit Na and we open up for Dana. When I met Daddy Richard was through Clark and when I knew Clark Clark was Dana, Dane and Jesse Rest of Peace Clark Kent. If Clark Kent died in eight nineteen eighty eight or eighty nine, he be just as big a legend as he was now, just because in my eyes, he was day to day's DJ going on toward Dana day his connection to me and rich.
Speaker 3: And when so basically drink going on, basically.
Speaker 5: And the other crazy thing is when I went to Clark's memorial service, which was amazing. I mean everyone like from Scratch to Stretched Andrew Martinez, everybody incredible. I walked past the casket, it was packed. The only seat that was open was the seat next to Dana that I go sit next to Dana, and everyone's mentioning Clark's accolades. And it wasn't until Scratch talked about when Clark was on soul train with Dana and like that to me, like when I saw that soul train, it was so I have to say, Danna, Dan, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well go ahead Dana and Clark. Ye nah, this is solid ark Man. Absolutely yeah. I still got Trill Burgers.
Speaker 3: I wasn't ready for that. I heard it was good. It's fantastic. Turkey Burger, Veggie Burger too, and the ship off to Veggie Burger.
Speaker 2: That's he started with the Veggie Burger, cleaned the grill, then the Turkey Burger clean the grill.
Speaker 3: And didn't clean it every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah, switch the grill rat there you know what I mean, who's next?
Speaker 5: That's the apologies to rick Man because they loan sleeep bricks are thrown to the hip hop really, so yeah, that's dope.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what I want to shout out to. Salaman, shout out my guy, my guy, kre Rest one or rock Him. Oh it's easy, rock Him. I love K Don't get me wrong. Rock Him is the greatest set of all time period. And a conversation rock Him, Okay, I want he got you definitely?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, okay, Premore, Pete rock Oh, Primo, it's easy. These are really these are like layups. I mean maybe not for everybody. See like he's hesitating. Well he's like, well, I don't know, Yeah, what happened.
Speaker 5: I used to catch Premo out there in my building. He was seeing a young lady on my flight. Used to go walk my dog like three in the morning, and I'd be like, oh, for me, Premiere is something elevator. So we had a lot of talks. And when I had a couple of groups, this kid Cage who Cage, Yeah, Cage could not I have Premiere do a whole Premiere beats cag you broke Yeah, Me and my beat Cage corigonally and uh, Premiere made a whole tape of Premiere beats like incredible, and Cage was like nah, nah, he wanted more, So I have to give it to Premiere.
Speaker 3: Oh you'll disagree.
Speaker 10: Agree, they agreed, They agreed, agreed. I agree, Uh, BC boys are fat boys.
Speaker 3: Fat boys.
Speaker 5: I got a picture of Search at a fat boy show in nineteen eighty five at Roseland and you send it to you could put it on the screen when you. Search has said that he never kissed a white girl. And he's there with a white girl who sang no hop, who sang the hawk on it rerecord, Melissa, she doesn't sing.
Speaker 3: This girl was on Z one her know this twist. She told this story.
Speaker 5: My boy Chris Money here has that tape somewhere buried in his computer. She she says she did no says she's telling the hook.
Speaker 3: Really, she says she did a lot of things.
Speaker 5: She did.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't remember that, but I don't know. I think she might have been Italian. That don't count rights with the money. I think she's Sillian. Remember, I'll say, fat boy. They agreed again.
Speaker 10: Yeah, biggie A big pun all three y'all please, big biggie resting piece to both of those legends. Man, mhm, I hate to disagree.
Speaker 1: Lyrics, lyrics, lyrically, whatever you're fun. I love big don't get me wrong. I love Big Pun was a monster with them Bars. Pun was a monster with them Bars. That's fuck both. Yeah, that's horrible.
Speaker 10: Any stories with Bigger Pun anybody?
Speaker 1: I mean, the only story I have two stories for both of them, then they're quick. I was doing radio promotion at the time. I was at the beat with tecond Sway. I had OC with me and Craig k Mac and Biggie were on the Big Mac for.
Speaker 2: Ye and one of the best promo items is ever ever.
Speaker 1: I walk in walk into Sway in Tech and I got old with me and Biggot already said like Time's Up was his favorite ship, Like that was his ship.
Speaker 3: And we walk in.
Speaker 1: And they just they just go into commercial break and was about to come in and BIG's about to leave, and out of nowhere, he just says to me, Oh, He's like, sirch, I gotta apologize to you now.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm just manic depressive right now. I don't feel like fucking with you. Who said this to you? Like out of left field? Like I was like yo, big what pretty Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then but then the funny part was when we went outside, there was a DJ that was on the beat and his thing he was a midday DJ, and the thing was his promo was that celebrity artists would leave a message on his phone, like that was his thing, like hey, you know, blah blah blah, it's you know shy, you know, hey we're coming for the two and two.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah. So Craig does whatever he does, like, hey, blah blah Blah's Craig Mac.
Speaker 1: You know, I got that flavor year coming down and I'll see you at two fifteen level. It comes out and Craig says, you're big, you gotta do these promos. He's kind of promos, he said. And the guy says, yo, you know it's leaving a message on my answering machine. He goes, I ain't your bitch. I don't leaven no fucking message. And he's like, no, no, no, big, you know what I'm saying. He goes, I don't done saying shit.
Speaker 10: Car That was it.
Speaker 1: And the other pun, the pun story was like every time I ran in a pun, he oh, well, first of all, he was always happy. Yes, that was a b He always had people around him that made him happy. And he always had like three or four chicks around him that were just like so happy to be in his circle, and he would always make.
Speaker 3: Them feel good. It wasn't even like something he had to try. He just had this charm. He had this amazing like loving spirit. And that's what I always remembered about Punty. Oh yeah, and my tattoo by the way, you know I have a tattoo.
Speaker 1: And the guy who did Pun's hands celebrity tattoo artists on Instagram, he did my tattoo.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 5: You know at the Hip Hop Museum, we had this TV show Me and Paradise called Hip Hop Treasures, and Cipher Sounds was on the show with us. We would send him out to send him out to Fat Joe's and Joe had the jersey from the Trinidad fight when they came out, so just looking like an iconic moment that you know could not be top like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I love Big.
Speaker 1: I love Big, And I know there's always this argument like Big should be in people's top fives and this and that, like Tove, but not of people, but for me, personally. Again my perspective, there's like certain artists that didn't have enough time to make enough body of work.
Speaker 3: Pun and Big of both that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree, but both made crazy crazy the B Street or Crush.
Speaker 1: Groove, Brush Groove shout out to Style and Yellow, Yeah, because the thing is they both kind of whack. Now if you watch them, they're both like.
Speaker 3: But that's a lot of old movies though. Know it's great. It's great. You gotta smoke a joint and get into old school mood and it gets better with time. It's like, why joint, smoke physical joint? You joint? Yeah, beach culture.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Last Dragon the other day last year. I was like, because now you know that they come who was sucked up?
Speaker 3: Like like like I didn't know. I thought they were professionals back then. You look at that the Last Dragon, like that screw Crew Crush. All right, this is group.
Speaker 10: It's gonna be tough for you guys, oh man, god.
Speaker 3: One, well for me, I mean mm, I mean, JAMJ is the reason I'm on.
Speaker 1: Like, jam Master J found me in Tony D's basement the first rom I ever said wow, you know, and he leaned back and he was like this, and he went, fuck, if white boys start ramming like that, we're finished.
Speaker 3: Yo, I need to take you on the road, and like that's verbating him what he said, No, I went down.
Speaker 1: I went, So I went. I I harassed ground vis it Tony d for six months. I had given up a four year scholarship to go to college. I told my mother I wanted to be a rapper and she's like, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Rap gifts at sears?
Speaker 1: Like right, I'm like no, no, it's as ain't called hip hop and it's this And she asked me when my plan was six months. I'm harassing. The dude finally picks up the call, says, yeah, coming.
Speaker 5: To the house.
Speaker 3: It's pouring, it's April pouring, ring.
Speaker 1: It's in Corny Island, Seagate dark and there's this beautiful brownstone that got a green Jaguar sitting on Dayton's X seven.
Speaker 3: It got a fucking devil on day ends, got all these flock carts.
Speaker 1: I'm with my man Bill and like, Bill, come inside with me. He's like, I'm like, where are you gonna? Let me go in by myself? Knocking the door opens the door, Tony goes who you, I said, an MC search the fuck out of here. You the guy's been calling me, yep, come in.
Speaker 3: Walk through the walk through. The hallway opens up into this living room where the kitchen was.
Speaker 1: Grand Wizard Tony D's man, Lord True from the Eternal Forces right there, Grand Master D from Houdini, jam Master Jay Wow, right there, and Tony He's like, let's go in the basement. I had this little gold chain on with this little gold watch that my father gave me for my Ba Mitza, and I'm going down the stairs and all I'm thinking about is, damn, I'm about to get robbed by three of the Great Deeper.
Speaker 3: Like I'm literally like, yo, I'm.
Speaker 1: About to get snuffed. Like it's pitch dark. Turns on a light, light light, Bubba's doing this. There's in a Kai twelve hundred and a booth and he sits me in a seat like this, and Jay's there, Grand Master D's there, Lord Chreue's there.
Speaker 3: And Tony D's behind me and he goes rack.
Speaker 1: I was like, so you think you're right, Well, got a sobo chance at hell to catch MC search because I'll ring your bell, assume.
Speaker 3: You withs out of my and I'm going hard for two minutes and Jay lean back and right fucking white boys start rhyming like that, I'm finish, so I need to take you on.
Speaker 1: And the next day took me to Rochester, New York with Davy DMX opened and that was my career.
Speaker 3: Wrote records for Houdini. And yeah, so I mean I love Clark, but.
Speaker 5: On my side conversely, I used to go to Clark Kent's crib on Union badging him to make break taste for me to rhyme over begging him. He's already dated Dan's DJ. I was trying to get him to be my DJ, and he's putting up with me, and why is he putting up with you? He's putting Is there a reason? I mean, Danes, he was walking hot fire? Why are you putting up with him?
Speaker 3: Rhyme for him? Him?
Speaker 5: And also my boy Blake introduced us, and you know I had the radio show. Okay, the radio show came up. I was like, yo, Clark, I go let you. You could go off for two hours.
Speaker 3: Vanilla B and Dana we all went to high school.
Speaker 5: Exactly, Okay, so like the way we got introduced.
Speaker 3: But he was familiar everything just came. The kicker is.
Speaker 5: If it wasn't for Clark, that man right there, Richie rich would not have been third bases.
Speaker 3: DJ would not know? How did that happen to put us on?
Speaker 1: This is so I brought two of the worst DJs in the history of DJs into this group.
Speaker 3: Let's just pull it up. Can I just wait? Let me just pull it this.
Speaker 1: I brought two of the worst fucking DJs in the history of DJs to this group. I will claim, like I said, I would take responsibility. One kid named DJ Word and another kid named DJ White Knight.
Speaker 10: I hope they're not DJ anymore because you just and both White Knight was nice, man.
Speaker 3: He is not.
Speaker 1: No, no, what what?
Speaker 3: So what happened with White Night? So here's for a white kid from the backwoods? Attendant? So here's the ship. So this this I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 5: I'm going I'm going to tell you so Search is like, Yo, I'm going to see MC holiday.
Speaker 3: Right, No, that's not what it was, So whould you go? No, No, I was going to see him, but not for what you think I was going to see him.
Speaker 5: But either way, Search showed up back in New York with this kid DJ not Yo Pete.
Speaker 3: I found out DJ Yo.
Speaker 5: If I'm looking at this kid did not know what a chicken cutlet was. No you, We asked him, how do you want your burger at Chung King? He said, what are you talking about? What are you talking about? He was like, oh, we don't do that.
Speaker 3: About his food choices? What's going on here?
Speaker 5: He was just he was just like he was.
Speaker 3: He was backwards. But could he spend? Could he he he did a lot of cuts on the captain. So he wasn't a terrible DJ. No, he was a terrible DJ because he got Okay.
Speaker 1: So you have to you have to meet and this is again my perspective, right, you have to capture the moment anytime. This man DJ, he captured the moment period one of the craziest moments.
Speaker 3: And here's your comparing these DJs to the greatest.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, I'm just saying, but the point is, like you have to still capture the moment. There was a moment in our senior hall when he was doing sitting at home run in our senior hall, are Sinial leaned on the turntable to watch.
Speaker 3: Just motherfucker fans lifts the needles.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't drop, puts it down, brings it back like nothing happened. Like, I'm sorry, technical motherfuckers. You don't know how fucking hard that was, because the records should have skipped sitting in that home watching home.
Speaker 3: Wait, you anticipated our sinial hitting the table. Yeah.
Speaker 15: The first thing is like that was the first time I ever pulled that routine off clean. I never pulled it off clean, even when I was practicing it at home. So, I mean, he stood on the horizon and whatnot, and I thought it was work.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 1: So he and here, if you watch it, it's like it's our senial hole and then and so you see the needle and he's.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: So it's about capturing the moment. So I had White Knight in the Battle for Supremacy. Why one caption the moment this kid bricked like brick to the point he got booed, then wouldn't leave my crib, wouldn't come outside, called his mother how to pick.
Speaker 3: The DJ get booed, and that that part is get a battle, DJ battle, then he'll leave the crib. And then his mother came to pick him up. Sounds about right.
Speaker 1: So and I shouldn't have never looked outside of New York anyway. We had the greatest DJs in the world New York.
Speaker 3: So he was from Tennessee.
Speaker 5: So Clark is DJ and we have the Wreck the Radio show together. We could do this show Tuesday night is w k c R, and we started one hour. We're up to three hours a night. Then Clark's like, yo, I gotta go out with Dana and he's like, YO, don't worry about it. I got my man, Richie Rich to cover for me. So that's when I met Richie Rich. I got the business search had that that then.
Speaker 10: Clark had said, this is my man's feeling.
Speaker 5: Wow. I actually had the flyers that we used to make. I had the flyer and I had to put the Richie Rich over the Clark can printed up on alternate weeks. And that's how this man became my DJ first because we used to go to Funky Slice making the demos for Brooklyn Queens originally, and then rich was out in Farmingdale at school and he couldn't get in, So that's why he was going to be our first DJ before night and he just couldn't make it in and then boom tell us about how when you made it in rich.
Speaker 3: Listen, First, let's let's shout up White Knight and DJ Work. I have to tell the story.
Speaker 5: There was one point where I don't know, It's like DJ Night also eat like a piece of cake, didn't he eat like a piece of cake at one point and got really pissed off and the and it was like sometimes routine was like it was it was like a birthday cake or something.
Speaker 3: We were they're in the video, They're in seven to the Amy, both in seven to the Am. They're both in the video. In the video, it was just like I told you, I was done in the right head.
Speaker 5: But at this point, like I was really against DJ Knight time.
Speaker 3: I was like, Sorch, what the fuck are you doing? Good for Tennessee. I like DJ Knight.
Speaker 5: I was like we were in the studio hanging out with him and then boom, next thing you know, I was like, yo.
Speaker 3: Pete Night's gone. His mom came to pick him up.
Speaker 5: He went back to Tennessee at boom and and to Richie rich.
Speaker 3: So Night did. But just so you know, both Knight had and still does like he still does.
Speaker 1: D He's still DJs is the former DJ of Third Base all through Nashville.
Speaker 5: He was officially your guys DJ on officially when me and Barto had a label hoto, he actually was.
Speaker 3: It was DJ Night who discovered Camp Base D. So like DJ said, ways them, bro let me.
Speaker 10: Let Night, but he's like DJ White Knight, Let's go with DJ Night.
Speaker 3: I'm just telling you.
Speaker 5: There's a famous picture in the Hip Hop Connection the u K where we had our first photo shoot, and DJ Night is right down with us.
Speaker 3: First photo shoot was in the UK.
Speaker 5: No that yeah, it was like Normsky, I think took the photos. He came into Elizabeth Street. We went right around the corner and boom. That was like the first time I think we were in a magazine.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah he did the next one too. I love.
Speaker 10: I think we Yeah, we gotta drink. We gotta drink, We do gotta drink. It was split cheers and rest in peace both legends.
Speaker 5: Man. Apologies to Hurricane, but he was the best friend. I couldn't pick UJ on that one, even though I wanted to.
Speaker 10: I love I love both of those men, not just legends, pioneers as well.
Speaker 3: Kick Capria read Alert for me.
Speaker 1: It's red Alert and I love Kid Capri even though he looks like me. And every time I go, you know, and I'm like, no, absolutely kick Capri right now. If I'm in an airport, you're kid, You'll care, Yeah you can.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not.
Speaker 5: And King Capri goes back so far people don't even know we got him on fly. There was a fly with Paradise where I think a group called the Throwdown four where they were battling for the name against Kid Capri.
Speaker 16: No, he's.
Speaker 3: But I got it. When you're put in Ky Capri.
Speaker 5: Up against Red Alert, it's not fair because there's no way that anyone can know the impact had on you just rap Radio, the Big Show, just and you know, going back to the Zulu days. I mean know, not for the fact personally all that he did for us. You know, like Red would not play a record if he didn't like a record. Correct, And he did not like Steven Today, Correct, he did not, he did not like it. He played it, but didn't kill it, right, And but then he loved Gas Phase correct. And you know, I mean also like the guy met him in the world. I met him in lag quarterback when me and Rich got together. We made this uh little demo and we had the radio show and read new about the radio show, and he had the whole week could do this thing. We were calling our show we could do this right at the same time, and he said, hey, why don't you do it promo for me? So me and Rich went in, cut into funky slice, delivered it to him. Boom played it the next week. That's why you know he made He made us, you know, shout out.
Speaker 3: Absolute thinking on that one Swiss Beasts of Timberland.
Speaker 1: It's funny because as soon as you say Swiss speeds are Timberland, all I hurry in my head is on Mellillilli.
Speaker 3: So you're thinking Swiss beats. No, I don't know what that. No, I know, I know you didn't do it. That's all litill Wayne.
Speaker 1: It's still waingneay me right now we're talking about I didn't asked nothing about it.
Speaker 3: Johnson made there. You know, it's funny because every it's funny because every time I don't know what it is. I know Banglades did the beat.
Speaker 1: Every time somebody says Swiss speachs, that's the first thing out here that's weird.
Speaker 3: I do think that's that left over when you get I don't even know why, Like I don't know why it is like my brain goes to that.
Speaker 10: When I hear Swiss beans, I think of band from TV Automatic.
Speaker 3: But we need you to answer those the Swiss. You still want me to answer? I started, no, no, no, some more time, no no no. What did you say?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, considering the fact that I'm trying to get Swiss beats alone, cool heart speakers, can I not say Swiss beating?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 1: Okay, which, by the way, is super flows that now that we know that, Yeah, that's one of Flex.
Speaker 3: That's a major. That's a major Flex one hundred twenty grand major.
Speaker 5: F which is great because it wins what that was sold by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is it really is.
Speaker 5: You actually beat out Knaves and Peter bit of ben because that's American history.
Speaker 3: Shoulder your shoulder, listen. You gotta make it right for you to make a choice.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yeah, I gotta go with Swiss.
Speaker 1: I gotta go with Swiss just because the Dmax Shop band from TV and Yeah both went Swiss.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Simbo? All right, drink drink, put your drinks up. The boy made some great records.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, coming back out. I spoke to Swiss person. Well they didn't come to til burgers e P M BU.
Speaker 3: Or Nice and you said they're going to erase that ship from their mind already, mob both yall right, now, just for the confusion, which one is it? De m O P I mean m O P Queen's get the money m O P is Brooklyn, Brooklyn. Yeah, are you sure? I said, Mom Deep? I said, Mom Deep o money. Yeah, we got it on cameras. Yeah, you've been real real bro. Wow, I really said, m O P.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: No, mob D okay, Mob Deep Okay, mob Deep Brooklyn the money.
Speaker 5: I got it.
Speaker 3: In the house. I know we we we're gonna have to skip this one. We're gonna skip this one because we we want to know m O P. Okay. Okakay, we say that.
Speaker 5: Move.
Speaker 3: Don't we have to drink because it's okay. This one, it's okay, just move E P M D or Nice? And this one? Did we take a pass on this one? Well it's drink. Yeah, well you can either. I'm gonna have to drink on this one, all right. Yeah, I can't pick one either. Really, Yeah, that's what we were trying to get the all show. Yeah. No, if this is your attempt to do this show, you've failed miserably. No, No, were trying to get.
Speaker 1: Try to say, no, I know it doesn't matter, you're failing miserable.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I'm gonna take this one. I mean that was that was the toughest one. M d ns. Oh yeah, that was definitely tough.
Speaker 10: Analog or digital should be, I would imagine, I mean for me, yeah, for whoever past kill me pass the mic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, here's the thing for me again. Just my perspective.
Speaker 1: I've been fortunate enough to work with some incredible artists, one of the most recently Bodh James. Who And I'll say it right now, and I'll stand on business and I'll give a fuck who comes after me on this one. Body James last ten albums, not including the Harry Fraud record that he just put out, The Brictionary his last ten albums. Has not been a single MC ever in the history of the culture ever to put out ten albums as strong as Body James. I stand on business, not Jay, not nas. I don't give a fuck who you can find Body James last ten albums And that's it's and if it wasn't for digital, it would never happened.
Speaker 3: So you're saying, no, I'm saying that because.
Speaker 1: I say, this record on analog. This crazy that that happened, that they found the reels is crazy, transfer the digital crazy, which is analog. The fact that they found the reels crazy to be analog crazy. So and the process that it took those reels of course, of course both because I'm saying past because I can't pick one over the other.
Speaker 3: Both and like Ni Ni Shae is about to be a problem, how about you, I.
Speaker 5: Gotta say analogist because it's the rap records, like we have the original reels for super rapping and funk you for wrapping.
Speaker 3: A rock in the house. And and that's a great point. Great point.
Speaker 15: Yeah, digital is making too many untalented people seem talented.
Speaker 3: I'll go with analogs. And there was something about analog gatekeeping that's okay. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yes, up to a certain point, Like because there were so many great artist that couldn't get on because the analog was so expensive.
Speaker 3: Great point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And right now so many artists that shouldn't be on correct getting on because because it's so cheap, cheap.
Speaker 3: But the drive. You had to have to get in an analog studio.
Speaker 1: You had to be about that life, about that life, and it really took a lot of effort to get in the studio and make music.
Speaker 10: I respect the people that just had a vinyl record. I was like, I might not like this song, but man, I got respect for you.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: When I found that to get to that, bro, when I found that the fn K deff looking for the perfect beat remix, Bro, damn near crowd.
Speaker 3: When I saw that for that ship is fire.
Speaker 5: It's important to preserve the history of analog and just the whole studio history, like the Hit Factory donated the actual or the actual studio to hip hop music created that's dope, and you know you we we find all these two inchs like I found rock Stands, rock Stands Revenge, the original two inches Raster Real Wow, or the promo that was I mean starting on Mister Magic. It wasn't even a record, it was broadcast on live on the air. We have like the two inch tape.
Speaker 2: I love all hip hop legendary studios, d n D, Yeah, John.
Speaker 3: King Ring Street, Calio, p Callipe Callipe was daily and I.
Speaker 1: Mean yo shout Misriguez talk Rodriguez on board.
Speaker 10: Well down here we had Criteria which ended up becoming.
Speaker 3: The Hip Factory. And it's circle.
Speaker 10: It was originally Circle seventh Street in New York City, right, Yeah, I love the Circle houses.
Speaker 1: Legendary houses will always be legend h house will never die, big big Quad.
Speaker 3: And Richard shout out after this day, control still there. So yeah, it's solder you could feel pot sould when you're walking. Quad, I don't. I don't know why. Oh Alex, lady, lady jim he's your ship? About the cat?
Speaker 2: Is the white cat in there? The only I'm alergy old cats, the only cat.
Speaker 3: Allergic to it. I don't know if I'm not alerted to it.
Speaker 2: It just never broke me out, Like I will walk through and everyone will say, that's Jimmy Hendrick cat.
Speaker 3: I mean, like his spirit. Yeah, okay, all right? And d or Buck Wow, oh.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck you Dominican and the Columbia who write the questions right behind you.
Speaker 5: It's not me.
Speaker 2: We don't write these quick times line questions. Yeah yeah, right, I got a great Buck Wild story.
Speaker 1: I know you love these stories. So I'm working on the O C record. I signed him to Wild Pitch and I just finished executive producing.
Speaker 3: Ellmatic Wow Life Flow so Lifelow.
Speaker 1: And the difference between making those records was, you know, NAS made eleven.
Speaker 3: Songs, right, and I believe with an intro right, and.
Speaker 1: I'm maybe at forty demos with d TC and oh and we couldn't find the right record.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry, yeah, no, No, for the fans that's listening, I probably don't know that. Let me say forty demos, you are actually missing forty records?
Speaker 3: Correct? Okay, yeah, because I don't he was you know, we talked about analog, right.
Speaker 2: So he's in a studio two inch reo forty songs, forty songs with d TC recorded.
Speaker 1: Wild og like Showbiz, all of them working, working, working.
Speaker 3: All their production.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, and they're bringing back records and I'm like, nope, nope.
Speaker 3: So our office is a Wild Pitch.
Speaker 1: Had a roof deck that we could go on to to hang out, and at one point of making this record, I thought for sure either I was gonna get thrown off the roof are always going to get thrown off. Through one of my last meetings with these guys, they all came to see me and I thought for sure, was this the sec all of them? But Oh show ah, No, but all of them, and they're furious. I'm fucking update money. Oh got to put out a record, and I'm like, look, you ain't got the record yet.
Speaker 3: Trust me, I know what the record sounds like. You ain't got it.
Speaker 1: Two days later, Oh comes in and the receptions downstairs, a wall pictures named Milky. Milky calls me, Oh's coming up. He ain't saying nohing, no nobody. My man left his his thing in my office.
Speaker 3: So I pull. I'm figuring this is when it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: He pushes me out of the way and goes to my DAT player and opens the That player puts it dat in closes a debt and I'm like, yo, was it? And I'm like, yo, you could presses play. It's about five seconds of fucking emptiness.
Speaker 3: And I hear boom boom theo stone Tom's up. Boom boo boom ba boom ba boon bo boon ba boom. Time's up.
Speaker 1: You lack the minerals and the hair is filt right now, right turns and he turned and he turns me around.
Speaker 3: And he says and he says to me, and he says to me, I understand now.
Speaker 1: Buck comes up and says, I understand now, And two weeks later the whole album was finished. Fast forward thirty years later, we're doing this thing called Top Shelf with Rostrom.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I hadn't talked to Buck in at least fifteen years. He pulls me over and he says, yo, I never thanked you for that. Ain't all lesson? I said, of course you did.
Speaker 3: He said no.
Speaker 1: Right after that happened, I was in the tunnel and I saw a big and Big told me that was his favorite record.
Speaker 3: And I got to do story to tell because of that record. And if it wasn't for you, and it wasn't for you.
Speaker 1: Pushing us so hard on those forty fucking records that we all thought should have been on word Life, we never would have got to word Life.
Speaker 3: I never would have got the times up. So thank you. Wow, God damn makes a noise for that answer. What's the answer, diamond, dear buckets?
Speaker 1: For me, it's obvious as Buckwell shout out a book man, Yeah, old g I t C is coreat that cruise.
Speaker 2: Fucking crazy because he's saying both because he said past drinks and we still got a drink.
Speaker 3: Let's say both that passed. I don't like salute salut oh the meal being like rosa. Oh yeah, that's you, bro. That's the New York sports stuff you want to feel sitting there. I mean, I got, I got enough raise you got that's easy.
Speaker 1: I mean for me, that's easy. Queens all day, Mets, Jet's nixt Wait wait wait, I don't watch none of that. So it's passed, yea pass watch it?
Speaker 3: I don't watch it. We don't care. I like this not technically a pass past. Yeah, that's actually a pass. But there's no drink, so you got to drinks. That's the way you should use. How many passes do you get? Though?
Speaker 1: It unlimited past it's cool because you're not drinking, so you know, yeah, so it's designated you've been drinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, flex flex, you can take this one. I'm sorry, we wind that you can take this one. Flex for clue, we should start with you. That's we're gonna start with you.
Speaker 17: Really, and you said it was just flex to DJ Okay, clue doesn't DJ No, I got it, I got it, flexy DJ and need Jamaican.
Speaker 5: And there is.
Speaker 3: He's like Lennar Mercy, that was hard.
Speaker 1: I'll stay with my brother Daddy rich flex. Okay, queens get the money. Okay, queens get the money.
Speaker 10: I mean they both have a clue. They both did the little big things. Yeah, clue, all right, my nigga New Jack City or Juice.
Speaker 3: For real. So that's that's that's that's both. That's both hip hop. That's what you was hating on New I never hated on New York. No hate on us. We never hate it on y'all. Y'all hate it. We didn't hate on mine on the rest of We're not gonna get into this argument. You remember the story you just told when I went and then they put two life creup before.
Speaker 10: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I didn't understand, no comprehend. You were like, no, no, no, I no, we never hated, no, of course not. Wait, there's a difference between hating and not understanding. I didn't say hate, you did. You just said you hated on us. We gotta go on tag but we got.
Speaker 5: We got.
Speaker 3: Hating it hating.
Speaker 1: You didn't hate. We didn't understand. It's a difference. It's a cultural difference.
Speaker 10: I like that breaking in New York locked out everybody else in the couse we didn't. It comes out Okay, great story, but understand it's not a great story. What I'm saying that that is the story. But I'm saying it happened. Though it happened, it didn't. It didn't not happened.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying to you that it wasn't based on hate. It wasn't like you did anything to cause hate. We just didn't understand.
Speaker 10: It depends when you hear people from New York saying, oh, y'all, Bama's y'all, this y'all, that that is hate.
Speaker 3: That's not what we're standing York though. But yeah, no, and first of all, Bama most of the country are excuse me, considered just FYI, it wasn't Bamas, it was Bumpkins. It's different. No, we wear a lot of things, a lot of things.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 1: No, the point was it wasn't because of hate. It was because of lack of understanding. We weren't around Jill. So if we can articulate this way different, if I'm the same at twenty four, then it wasn't fifty four.
Speaker 3: I wasted thirty years of my life. I'll just say this and this is a whole other podcast.
Speaker 10: Y'all had some bad but hip hop would be different now if New York would have opened up a little bit more at a certain time, absolutely, hip hop would be totally different.
Speaker 3: That is one hundred percent because everybody yet now, I don't know what you say you were like, I can't wait to a record with that. I don't know what you're talking about right now, but let it up.
Speaker 1: And when we're looking but looking at our beautiful things, all right, now, look how horrible this music is.
Speaker 3: Hell, get out of here, bro get it. You don't want to. That's not the way.
Speaker 10: That's not the way this went. That's not the way this went. No, that's not the way. I listen.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 1: History is going to see it, thank you very much. History is going to see it a different way.
Speaker 3: Right. History is going to see it as hate. Right, I got it, I get it, forget keeping. Let's does not call it hate.
Speaker 1: Let's I think that's a good immersion of ioeping for me at this point in my life, I would just prefer to use different adjectives to describe ship.
Speaker 3: And for me, it was just different, like we didn't get it, like we didn't get what we loved about.
Speaker 1: It was the things that we understood right going out, having a good time, being around people. You know that part, eating good, drinking good, smoking good, feeling good. Everything else didn't make sense to us, like the beats, and it didn't make sense to us because we didn't come from that.
Speaker 3: It was just different. It wasn't hate. It was a lack of understanding.
Speaker 1: The thing about New Yorkers and this is the one thing that's just about New Yorkers. We come from a place that's so siloed and so eco, Like, we don't understand how you don't get around on the subway.
Speaker 3: We don't understand how you don't know every street in the five Burroughs. We don't.
Speaker 1: That's it's foreign to us, right, because we're so siloed. So when we come down here and you're like, oh, I don't know how to get there from here, We're like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 3: You fucking bumpkin. You always just take the blah da da dah, the blah dah dah, and you just get that bunk.
Speaker 1: No understand now, I'm not talking about him a bumpkin, but that's how it was.
Speaker 10: But no, no, no, But.
Speaker 3: I don't need any of your people coming from right now. I don't mean people running up in no, but the point. But that was the old thing. Like I was just explaining this, I was explaining to my man from Jersey, right, My man.
Speaker 1: Jersey had the same issue with the Yes, my man from Jersey, say Brody. My man from Jersey City, which is five minutes from fucking Newark, doesn't know how to get through Newark. I'm like, Yo, you're fucking sixty seventy years old. How the fuck is that possible? You live here your whole fucking life. How do you not know how to get from this restaurant Jersey to the fucking Trip hotel in downtown Newark.
Speaker 3: It's five minutes, It's five blocks.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because when we were crumbing up in New York, whether it was rich, you knew that, you knew how to take the D train to the A to the C to the two to the sixth, you knew every block.
Speaker 3: So it it just it was just a different mindset. And I'm not calling you a no.
Speaker 10: Like I said, this is a whole other podcast we could do. We're not gonna do it that at all.
Speaker 1: Because when we work together, when we worked records together, I trusted you on everything.
Speaker 3: Of course, I would never question you.
Speaker 1: I would never come into another city and be like, oh, y'all doing it's crazy, but I.
Speaker 3: Love that ship.
Speaker 5: What about Juice?
Speaker 3: What about juice? I said both? I said both, Yeah, I said both drink.
Speaker 10: Oh no, that's what I'm sorry because he said it was.
Speaker 3: Not a New Jok City, New York City. Juice is what made me want to really New Jack City or Juice. Both are like being on set of Juice by the Yeah, I gotta hear this because that that wanted me made me buy my turntables.
Speaker 1: He yo, that's some heavyweights. Man, you're going against fucking Daddy Rich.
Speaker 3: And the funny thing is.
Speaker 4: Me and Scratch was supposed to battle that day on set on set, but he went to Buffalo, so that had been kind of crazy.
Speaker 10: But U.
Speaker 4: The records that we used in the real records, they didn't get the sample clear.
Speaker 10: So like the battles session that the whole thing was overdub. But were they were really trying to like was it real? Was audio really connected?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They were really DJing. We were really battled. Wow, Yeah, we're really battled. But Scratch had to go to Buffalo that day so he couldn't make it, and uh for Omar Epps to pump me up, part scratched it. That and I think the other practice thing, I think Classic Man did that. That's who plugged us in with them. Wow, all Superman.
Speaker 1: So we're saying juice, No, I'm saying. I'm saying both Yo. New Jack City was my fuck.
Speaker 3: Yo. New Jack City is off the chain.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 3: New Jack Cony was off the chain.
Speaker 1: And I was uptown when that shit really happened when they took over that building, that ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're drinking, Yes, I think we are as Yeah, all right, h yeah, answer this. You're gonna let me thank you very much. I appreciate you for my name is not just on the den. It's okay then n w A or Wu tang. This is a highly debated now it's not even that debated. It really isn't that highly debated. But so okay. So I think he's a terrible pair. To be honest, I don't like the pair.
Speaker 1: Who's the third base story to that, I believe, And again my perspective, only my perspective based on talking to Dre and talking to Ice Cube, m if there was no Cactus album, the production on the first n A w A album would be different really because and Q they were so impressed with the production on the Cactus one second, it came to our album party to show us love.
Speaker 3: The first album was Bump Squad involved, Right, this one is the majority of Chris Paul. Yeah, okay, but he loved it.
Speaker 1: But but Dre and Cube loved Sam's production like that particular like they loved if you listen to that first.
Speaker 3: N w A album, them snares, them drums, they sound.
Speaker 10: A lot like which is the ice Cube story that he was looking for, right, Okay, okay.
Speaker 5: But but that's the four Sam denies that story, that no one ever contacted him.
Speaker 3: That might have been leor didn't make the call, right, but l Cohen against the gas.
Speaker 1: But the point is that's why Cube came to New York. Right, Whether whether I think it's there's Yeah, whether le or call Sam or not, it's on that right. But obviously that's what Yeah came. He came to meet with Sam.
Speaker 5: Sever But they sonically, they made a lot of innovations and followed more of the East Coast lead on production, like when when Africa Islam went out to the West Coast, but I see he brought that whole, you know, kicks in the Aunt medic you know, like the beats. You can hear the influence these coast. You could see the L A Posse coming back from New York and bringing the West Coast to New York. So people sleep on L A Posse and Islam like laying the foundation which is zoom like and yeah for n w A. And when you look at what was the searchers saying, you know, you see in the East coast influence which you know, like Dante Ross would tell us, wah is incredible.
Speaker 1: Which is this whole in their movie And in the remember the going to the World and hearing Dope Man for the first time and thinking like what the fuck is this? This is crazy? Sounded so big in the world, Dope Man, Dope Man, Yo, that ship sounded crazy. It was incredible, man, mhm wu tang or n w A. It's a bad pairing.
Speaker 3: It's a very bad. I don't like the parent. Yeah, I got whatch on.
Speaker 10: It because I think generationally it's not.
Speaker 3: The right parent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm both so important in both. Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna puge. I'm also gonna pass. I'm gonna pay a past. Okay, Dan.
Speaker 3: Knew he was gonna. I knew it. I actually am not mad at that. And there it is. Okay, all right, you already, Prince Paul large pro Oh, oh, I'm ninety nine percent sure. I know what Rich and Peter are gonna say. All right, Nussell Dommas, I'm ninety nine percent sure.
Speaker 5: But what are you gonna say?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm gonna I'm waiting for y'all like i'm I'm I'm we can't do that, you can't.
Speaker 14: This is okay, so large Professor, Okay, I got I gotta pass on that one.
Speaker 5: I can't you and your passes both both both both, my professor.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised. I'm surprised. I'm surprised. You know, I'm surprised. I thought you would say, principal.
Speaker 3: So maybe two. I don't know.
Speaker 10: Okay, no drinking, no drinking.
Speaker 3: That's fair enough. I'll do it. Oh, d b or Bis Wait wait, wait you gotta drink?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Oh, I say, we just changed the rules in the middu We just do that. It's your show.
Speaker 1: You can do it.
Speaker 18: Oh d b Or Bismarck, Bismark, bis Mark Mark okay, rest in peace, resting peace?
Speaker 3: Would you fuck you?
Speaker 9: Wrap?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm yeah, I gotta go ge Queen Wrap queens get the money.
Speaker 10: But schoolids an original this one yay?
Speaker 3: Or forall for real?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: For Rell right? Who said yeah? Oh two? The one wins right new Roules. Oh yeah, I was about the radio drink Queen Latifa might not passed. They both. If you're going to pass, say pass. If you're gonna say both.
Speaker 5: Have you ever seen the papers in the video?
Speaker 3: Of course? What you get paper? Who's doing this? You look closely? Get the funk out of here?
Speaker 5: Me and searches show ball where the top villain video?
Speaker 3: His his father in the top I'm in the top building video. So his father is chilling. Yeah, the uh pool his father worked. You know, he was a bishop Ford High school.
Speaker 1: They have the jopist letthermon jackets black red and white letther sleeve. His dad for my birthday had been in EMCE search bishop Ford that said, g w.
Speaker 3: For go white boy and I wore that ship in the milk and the audio two videos kind of yo, that's iconic.
Speaker 1: But you gotta check out the light video because I played a fucking Italian muscle boy.
Speaker 3: That's what fucking with soul.
Speaker 10: I need you to be an Italian like the description is wild Italian muscle boy.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, that's what Lionel Martin told me to do. That's in the video as a wild describon. That's what she said, kind of fire. So we all said both.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I used to DJs like really like we're in the group together as kids, so like all right, drink all.
Speaker 16: Right, yo, she's to you for that. That's legendary. Ship Rich's neighborhood got crazy history.
Speaker 8: Podcasts of radio podcast or radio podcast podcasts means like the same thing kind of that. You could curse it, I say, podcast, right, Yeah, there you go. Damn we're on the same page.
Speaker 3: Ships, Public Enemy or Gangstar.
Speaker 1: Recipes. Public so important? Yeah, yeah, I think I think Public Enemy, we definitely say. That's my default on these type of questions. I think that the person would say this, the people the predecessors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we.
Speaker 5: Basically saw them from the beginning, and then we saw the world because of them.
Speaker 3: I mean literally in the world because of Public Enemy. We opened for them for damn near two years.
Speaker 5: I mean Clark Can he got the test press that rubber without a pause to play on our show from Red and you know you just saw like that record, yo, that right alone. If they just put out that record at the Latin Quarter and.
Speaker 1: It was crazy the year before because you know, Yo, bum Rush Show. People tend to forget that young bum Rush Show is the first album. It did not have that, it had my ninety eight no right. I remember them getting booed off stage at the Latin Quarter.
Speaker 3: Because it was it was new.
Speaker 1: You knew it, but it was different, Yeah, and nobody was checking for it. And then a year later they came with that and it was a rap like that record literally became the stick up record in the Lane Quarter. Like when that record yeah, like when that record came up, you took off your because.
Speaker 3: They sucked on the text. Which record you're talking about? Nobod out a pole.
Speaker 10: Enemy inside of people, datting people that's wid yes, no, no, I could dudes were getting you know that's wild yo.
Speaker 3: Yes, yo, Yo, nother funk all.
Speaker 1: That the original, the original fifty cent, his brother a Rock, all the Decepticons. When that record will go Vic and I was dancing with like ic Us the siren. Yeah, yo, call that sounds chaotic. They call that to kill the white man noise. Fifty don't you called it? Fifty cent?
Speaker 3: Would tap me the original fifty cent with me. Go get off the floor, search, get off the floor, go to the ball. Yes, yo, it was rap.
Speaker 5: That and ghosts probablys and and ultra magnetic Wow, antip villain, top billing, top billion would do it.
Speaker 3: It's a terrible era. It will great. I mean it was the greatest error ever. I would go back to that story light video. Look they pulled you up immediately.
Speaker 19: Yeah, right then, oh ship that is you look at you when you yeah, and the funny thing is on the same way there than I am now.
Speaker 3: Like literally, I'm in the best shape of my life. Shout out the shout out to my man.
Speaker 5: And the cold Crush is the most healthy man in hip hop, like.
Speaker 3: The health and hip hop. Oh yeah, we see ham over in the ice. M uh. You know, honestly, I'm gonna go with MC Hammer. I guy to pick Tom hamml. I gotta go Hammer because you know, because you can say what you.
Speaker 1: Want about Hammer, but Hamma legitimately like cared about the culture. Like one of the things that I love that Chuck Dy's wife used to say all the time, which Chucky's would always say that Hammer is the only rap artist that plays in my house.
Speaker 3: I respect Hammer like a motherfucker bro to be honest with you, I think because he didn't play hip hop in the house.
Speaker 1: She wouldn't even play public Enemy, but she played see Hammer, meaning meaning that for her Hammer's music and how he's safe for the kids, and just it felt like.
Speaker 3: Music that the whole family could enjoy.
Speaker 5: I remember Hammer said some ship like Yo hotown three five seven so more on third base, third base went double wood.
Speaker 10: Yeah, double wood, we went double yeah. Let's not forget Hammer was a real last dude too. His brother brother, his brother Louis Barrell. Yeah, Louis Barrell Hammon said with double wood.
Speaker 3: Double wood. Yeah, he said, we went doublet three five seven soul More Records at the third base of it, did we went double wood?
Speaker 5: Shout out to him, yeah, man, shout out to still the Holy Ghost Boys who got boot off the stage of the lack of Quarter.
Speaker 3: Who's that that was? That was his his group.
Speaker 5: His new music seminar I think was eighty seven eighty seven, he performed at the Line Quarter Paradise will tell you.
Speaker 3: Wow, but no remorse for vential lies that on the fuck it Yeah, pick drink, go ahead.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I actually think the lies actually cares about hip hop as well?
Speaker 3: Is his name Pappy Robert van Winkle? Oh, I know as I heard. You don't think you know I used to love you, n like I love you. You don't think he cares how long we go back?
Speaker 5: You know, I don't think I heard that Vanellas has a house that's an entrance to another house, so that you know whoa.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 5: You got a lot of big house, you know, a lot of so he doesn't care about.
Speaker 3: Okay, we made friends with hand and let's make friends with No.
Speaker 1: That's fine, you want to to I'm just saying no, no, no, if I'm toasting, no, no, no, it's not a problem.
Speaker 3: I don't have a problem with any human being anymore. Like literally, I have no problems with anyone. It's not a problem. But you don't you really don't think that he ever cared about hip hop? Absolutely? No, really absolutely you think that was all a gimmick. I believe that he saw an opportunity and he took it. Really, you don't think he ever cared as a human being about I don't think he understood what the culture was that you still he wants to drink. He's feeling, he's with his man. The legendary d m X is d J d j LS one is here. He's having. We got another legendary DJ cups in. You know, a lot of legends in him. Man we behold.
Speaker 1: So we say that he doesn't give him you know, let me ask you though in fitness, because I really did like that starts words just be you don't think but not an ice kid about hip hop at one point.
Speaker 3: Not even a little bit, a little bit, a little bit a bit.
Speaker 5: I mean when that when that record came out, I think the first time we heard Ice Ice Baby, we went that Detroit.
Speaker 3: Station dancing a little bit to it. He was like the Detroit station where you have to go all the way up on the building, like the sixtieth floor that station, And oh you did you did?
Speaker 5: One thing about that record is the sample is dope. That's something that we would have flipped David Bowie super away.
Speaker 3: You're kind of mad, like ah, he grabbed that ship.
Speaker 1: But the thing was he didn't take credit for it, which makes him super wacky. He didn't take an interview samples. He said, oh the David Bowie s call clean doom doom, my ship goes doom, doom doom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that was why.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but again that's if we're talking about the same we were talking about poking Big as a young man.
Speaker 3: Maybe he was just ignorant that went.
Speaker 1: But again, again my perspective, when you show growth, right, I was like, I have to quote chub Rock, because chub Rock, the great prophet, the best vogue, first ever creaking on the grill.
Speaker 3: You know what he said in the grill?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he said he could wrap his lips around something.
Speaker 3: Right, I'll leave it at that, and we'll leave I mean, don't leave it at that. No, no, no, no, weird no no no. But the point is he got weird. Again.
Speaker 5: Listen, Treuve Rock's verse on that record is one of the most underrated verses all time, without questions, but but shout out to Trevor Rock, one of the most underrated seas of all time.
Speaker 3: So I just think that, like when you look at.
Speaker 1: Again my perspective, I owe this culture everything like not just like I would be selling shoes at Nordstrom, Like I would not have a life, right, I would not have Echo. I wouldn't have had new Vaute, nothing, nothing. I would have been a shoe salesman period in a conversation, or a chicken delivery or a chicken delivery gun. I would have been delivering pizza. I delivered chicken. I had no skills. Hip hop gave me my life. Pop Goesluisa was such an important record for us, not because we wanted a pop record, there was an intent to that record. Hip Hop got turned into hip hop. The second record was number one on the Pop Tart. But don't skid on the heart that got it started in the ghetto. Let no one forget about the hard part. Now, when ninety one we got a new band, a new brand looking like the aim Old Clan Samuel Thieves to Steve, we got to make sure the real rappers got to endure Watco on points in one period, appear in a complex structure like a pyramid.
Speaker 13: Bro.
Speaker 3: We cared that much that we were like, oh, let's take the most.
Speaker 1: Obvious record, go to pop stations and tell them about thirty fucking recosition.
Speaker 3: Fuck us, forget about us.
Speaker 1: We would come with Daylight, we would come with Naughty, we would come with Black Sheep, we would come with Queen Latifa. We'd come with Money, Money in the Middle. We'd come with Chubb Rock Special Led. We go to the Z one hundreds, we go to the Bezzs in fucking Pittsburgh. We go to Kiss FM in La biggest pop stations in the world. We're number two, number one most requests, and be like, here's about thirty fucking records you should be playing. Don't play Mocky Mark, and I mean, I love Mark Wolberg, don't Here's one hundred other records, right, And.
Speaker 3: They're like, haha, here's been the lies.
Speaker 5: But also we respect all the people came before us who late n foundation. I mean when we did Rapmania in nineteen ninety where with her Lovebug Stars right and all the cubs. Boy, that was And they considered that the fifteenth anniversary hip hop in nineteen ninety, saying that it started in seventy five, like Ban Bada heard Van Silk and then got together.
Speaker 20: They said, seventy five is the starting day in the street and break you know, yeah, yo, And so so it's like, Yo, so, how you're gonna have a dude who's like and then he.
Speaker 1: Says he's from one place, but he's from another, Like you know, you talked about it like a little while ago, we were talking about like, you know, really repping where you're from.
Speaker 3: There was no authenticity there.
Speaker 1: And then like four years later he's got dreads and he's trying to make a record about Colts.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, stop that bullshit.
Speaker 1: Man, Like just it's because and at that point there was so much great hip hop out Redman, Method Man, Wu Tang Nah's Biggie most just came out.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I just think that like there was a level of credibility that just never he never ascended to. And great he hit a lick, but good for him. It's kind of all worth it. With the Shug Night story, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Forgot and he is worth it. Just it keeps changing even to Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm just saying, like, for me, when you look at like artists, right, and you look at artists overall, you want them to have some credibility, right, some integrity when they do what they do.
Speaker 2: M hmm, I don't leave it at dead. So you now that you're leave it at debt m J m g K or insane cloud box.
Speaker 3: Oh m g k K m g K m g K.
Speaker 5: I wasn't none of that ship.
Speaker 16: Yet.
Speaker 3: And there it is best answer. Take a shot, just goes down with yeah, that was just Yeah. You might have to add drinking. Actually, I think that should be official, like a rough of the whistle moving forward. I don't. It's a part of the show. Now all right, that's straight from Beverly Road. Um, hey man, you took my words out of them up, that's what she said. You took my man?
Speaker 21: You or Buster Rungs? Yeah, jesus, yeah, I'm both. Oh we figured that. Wow, let's ask you for It's tough.
Speaker 5: For me because Rosenberg and Eminem were donating one of the rat boy costumes to the hip hop you got.
Speaker 3: I have a little like conflicted right there.
Speaker 5: You know, well, I think your boy Jonathan Manion has some of Buster's dreads.
Speaker 3: That we do in the music him. He does got dreads from Jonathan Manyon from Buster. Yeah, so you got bird tie. I'm to say a tie there. Okay, now now tie no ties in runs.
Speaker 10: Drink?
Speaker 3: What do you mean we're not drinking versus because you cannot say anything. You're the summer guy. That's exactly right. I want to I want to watch drunk a try called quest or brand newbie. Fuck you whoa get the word? I love this guy. You know what I'm saying. I love this guy.
Speaker 18: That's okay, Jesus, I mean try Trump Queens got said drive okay, okay, and.
Speaker 3: It's really hard to because that's what she said. Let's be almost Yeah, bro, well deserved, well done. I got this one. No, of course you do, doctor Dre, or.
Speaker 10: Any criteria and if you got us wow, any criteria and you can't answer first.
Speaker 3: They go to you, God, bless you, God bless you. Do you love me time?
Speaker 22: Okay, Jesus, Christy answer first? Okay, So now I'm the tiebreaker, right, so be it, doctor Dred, Doctor Dre. I don't think we don't.
Speaker 3: All right. Last one, you got it, buddy, loyalty or respect.
Speaker 1: My perspective, oh father, the way my father raised me may rest in peace is you cannot have loyalty without respect. You can have respect without loyalty, but you can't have loyalty without respect.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna say loyal I would say recipe. I'll go along with search on that one. I'll go along with it me. If we're going to take a shot. We believe that it's both. You always believe respect for your pots.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: I love your pots, bro, because you can respect somebody but not be loyal to absolutely. But you can't have loyalty without respect.
Speaker 1: The one thing all of you guys have, all of y'all all ye, because I've been around all of y'all, is you have loyalty and the respect is built in.
Speaker 3: And that's why we came here first. So let me ask you, thank you.
Speaker 10: Hold hold up, thank you guys for coming here first.
Speaker 3: Goddamn, let me go quick use search. Let me ask you about rape. Whoa, whoa. I know what he's talking about. What I want to talk about rappers against phony entertainers. That's what she says, no outside, So so there's two stories.
Speaker 1: There's two great stories about that, right, So what he's talking about for those who don't know, on my my record, pod, I said I got a squad, right, A bunch of entertainers started rape rappers against phony entertainers. The label call me especially a couple of female executives, and said you cannot say rape on the record. I said, I didn't say rape on the record. I said rappers against Phony Entertainers. On the record, I used an acronym or ape. They're like, yeah, but you don't spell it out. Pardon but you don't spell it out. I said, I don't have to spell it out. I explained it on the next line. So fast forward a thousand years. I'm the first MC ever to perform at EPCOTCOT in Orlando. In Orlando, doing the Food and Wine Festival. It's a nice bag and they're like, we need you do one thing. You can't say rape. I said, no problem, I said, I started a group called Rappers Against Phony Entertainments.
Speaker 3: Right, So that's a so that so that that's what And.
Speaker 1: That's always been one of those things that when people hear it, they feel some type of way until I explain it, right. That's exactly why I asked the question that way, right, No, so people feel some type of way. But the second thing was the second thing though, that was really critical on this right derelicts a dialect speak came up with this idea of us being disheveled, right, looking like we fucking derelicts. The label said, no, that can't be the album covered. This could be a promo cover. Can't be the album cover.
Speaker 23: They're talking about this specific cover. He said, why, he said, it'll turn away your I'll get you, I promise.
Speaker 1: He just so on.
Speaker 3: My stuff.
Speaker 1: But the lab so, the label said it'll scare away. The Impulse Buyers album went golden thirty days.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So there was two things like and and you know, when I hear like the Kanyes of the world, or I hear the you know, the Drakes of the world, or I hear the kid Cuddings of the world. And when they say the label told me and I did blank, I'm like, good for you. Because labels don't know. They'd like to believe to play it safe like they know, but they don't know. The artist has to have the intuition. He had this intuition and was great that we should be there looks a dialogue, we should be homeless. We were in make up for how long.
Speaker 5: Was five or six for Saturday and live Yeah did the makeup for us and it was great.
Speaker 1: And we're playing in the cold and like having a good time and enjoying like the moment of like that, right, But to know that this dude who is the senior VP of marketing, and oh, I'm the big guy getting this, you know whatever, And we can't put this record out golden thirty days.
Speaker 3: Now what you gotta say? How about you go do your job? Wow? And we had a number one and we almost had a more one pop record with a record that said like we started rape Roberts against fortieth to say Jesus Christmas, and it played on fucking pop stations all.
Speaker 5: Over the country and we pretty much broke up in the middle of it right at the people because they were trying to push us just had rape.
Speaker 3: They were trying to push they were trying to push us more pop. They were trying to put us on all rape.
Speaker 5: You know, we would show up on the pop station and kind of flip on the host or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just slip on the home like here's an all format. Yeah, we're like, yo play this.
Speaker 1: Like when we were out ninety one kind of kick it was huge, your fucking black sheet choices yours and they weren't.
Speaker 3: Playing that shot.
Speaker 5: So we were like and even like we were gold, they were so hard to go gold back then. Like people don't even realize tribe used to.
Speaker 1: Open for us, like it's ridiculous, and now it's like, yo, why these are hit records and they're like, haha, we're gonna play.
Speaker 3: Some bullshit. But now how ninety seven is now I think technically a pop station.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like we've we've grown in such a way and the culture has grown in such a way where the things that we had to worry about no longer are worries, right, the challenges that.
Speaker 3: We had to have are no longer challenges.
Speaker 1: And the thing is so funny is thirty five years later, when I talked to like, you know, Big Daddy Kane and EPMD and Public Enemy and all the groups that are out and there touring, they talk about how much fun they're having on the road.
Speaker 3: Now they're talking about like.
Speaker 1: Being this age and like enjoying being on the road and having fans that at this age who come out and they are.
Speaker 10: It's like freedom thing though as well, Bro, it's being free before now.
Speaker 3: And your home my lovell right, yeah, your home my love. Yeah. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, I like it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: Let me ask you guys, KMD. You recently seeing Tyler pay homage.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take a peep beach MF Doom? What is that lineage to KMD? And then you have MF. Doom and then he passes and then he's this phenomenon. Now, well, I mean for me, I met Doom when he was fourteen years old, you know, I mean for people who don't know.
Speaker 10: Remember you're talking to us, No, no, no, all right, so you don't know what KMD is, right, So what that whole thing is with third base?
Speaker 3: Right? So even before third base?
Speaker 1: So when I had my solo record out Indie Records, I used to hang out Long Beach, Long Island, and I used to hang out with this kid I met. I met Brandon what Up and his man Otis and they had a whole crew called GYP, which became my crew, and it was mister hoodhim Diego, and then we would all go a haircut from this kid named sub Rock, right, and it was sub Rock and Daniel Dumalay aka Art and they were brothers, right, And Doom's name at the time was zeb Love X. So it's him it with sub Rock and the boy on ITX. And I always told them. When I get on, you get on. Like when I make it, you make it. So we had a term around our like little crew called a gas face, which was the face that girls made when we go to mall and try to get a number, and they would look at us like and we're like, damn, we spend all that gas money and get that face, right, And that's how we got That's how.
Speaker 10: It works that it's not they gave you the gas face. Is you spent the money on gas to get that face.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's how the and then we just kind of condensed it to gas I think admitted that it was another kid who first started using it.
Speaker 3: And then but that's not using it.
Speaker 5: But that's how that's where it came from. Started taking me out to Long Beach. But he he was going after Long Beach with doing with the MLK Center. That's where didn't you first meet with them?
Speaker 3: Ok? Center? Yeah, we all met it.
Speaker 5: And that ties into public enemy because Ray and Spectrum City were putting together those shows and T Money and all them MLK.
Speaker 1: Center, so Graham Master, Reggie REJ and the Playboy Club and like all these local like DJs.
Speaker 5: But you understand, these kids were mad young, So I don't think like search was hanging out with like twelve year old no, right.
Speaker 1: But I met a notice from my age, like I Med was like I was like the oldest one. Right, So we get on albums ninety nine percent done. First you put on we had a contract with a med notice. Remember that they had to finish school, right, and they were going.
Speaker 3: To be a dancer. You had a contract with cam Dy with a med notice from GYP.
Speaker 1: So it was a whole crew of them called GYP, and we were dancers like the back of this.
Speaker 3: So just understand the whole crew and involved. Cad Or came. Let me show you they were all together. See this. You see this cover right, this was on Med's basements. This is GYP. That's GYP. This is old GYP. The people behind you old GYP.
Speaker 1: Right and right here is Onyx and there's Doom and Faith. This is a whole crew that's g y P.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: We ran all over New York, right.
Speaker 1: I used to go out there with you. So we're finishing the album. We just did Brooklyn Queens. We they got this other beat. I was like, yo, we should do gas fas No.
Speaker 5: But but even before that, We took Doom and Subrock into the studio with the Bomb Squad when we were doing Step into the A. M. An Oval Office, which is before the album.
Speaker 3: Either came out. Everything.
Speaker 1: Remember saying Doom because Doom was not a well he was That wasn't a no, no, it was a thing. Because his name is Daniel dum He was already we always called we did not always called him, always called was always called, always called him Doom. Okay, yeah, because that was his last name, Daniel Dumala, So he was always doomed.
Speaker 3: We always called him Doom. You're Doom and they had so that's where he evolves into this no well. He involved this other kid, Jade one down with them and they had a demo.
Speaker 5: That's the first time we heard the actual death because Doom would always right rhymes. He wouldn't spit them. We wouldn't hear a tape, but we would hear him.
Speaker 7: So he made before the mask made for They were both obsessed with production, so we we had them in with Shockley Vietnam in the studio.
Speaker 5: They're watching, they're learning things and they're taking that ship back to Long Beach.
Speaker 1: Done got some equipment, uh I forget what he had A nakais something like nine.
Speaker 5: I think he had s B twelve point twelve. And that's when he started making the first demos.
Speaker 3: And Jade One was in it.
Speaker 5: Then Jade one went out and then Onyx came in, and that's at the point where Prince Paul sent me just a cassette with some beats and that's where the gas face beat was on. So I gave it to Searge, gave it to Doom, and we had this idea, Yo, this could be the gas face. So we were on the Long Island Railroad going out to the Island media students.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but first we asked Doom. We were like, Doom, can we do the gas face? Because it was like a gyp thing, so we wanted.
Speaker 5: It wasn't even like it was like, Yo, we wanted let's do the gas phase.
Speaker 10: He's like, yeah, let me do it because that term was the cruise term, right, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 1: I wanted to make sure everybody was cool with it, but I was like, yo, if we do it, you got to jump on the record, right, And.
Speaker 5: We wrote the lyrics on the Jaloyle Railroad going on on the way to the Island Media.
Speaker 3: On which was Paul's studio where he was working.
Speaker 5: And rest of his Don Newkirk was in the studio with Paul, just hanging out and it was all spontaneous. The hold that when you hear the outtakes with Hammer and all that shit, all improvised, like off the top of the head, not even playing like Doohm had.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: The only thing that we planned was that Doom wanted us introduced a certain way, like the Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: Now everybody mc search. So he dictated that he actually wrote it out. I have Search. We all dropped the lyrics on the floor. I picked him.
Speaker 5: I still have the lyrics to this day, and I have Dooms handwritten handwritten instructure.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have the actual the actual search is lyrics where he crushed.
Speaker 5: It out my lyrics and we don't have Dooms because Dunes was in his one of his like Marvel rhyme books.
Speaker 3: And that's how it happened.
Speaker 5: And Don Nukirk kicked the intros and then we just went nuts and the whole Hammer thing came in there and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: I know it's not I mean, so so basically, you ain't gonna you gotta take a shot for that. It's get it. Hold on, let's wait, let's.
Speaker 1: Goin anyway, So after the record comes out, Dante, who is working with us, tss sorry Dante Ross.
Speaker 3: He got the gas base did you give him the gas? No, he didn't get the gas.
Speaker 1: So Dante went to Electro and we were like yo, we started a production company called Ramen.
Speaker 3: It's fundamental Riff. But before that we had leor.
Speaker 5: De signed to manage KMD with us with riff really, so we already had doing them right now solo solo, So we the first part was to try to get him on deaf Jam and Russell wasn't feeling.
Speaker 3: But cam D was considered like Edgy at that time, right well, they weren't.
Speaker 1: They were just unknown because it was just Zebelo Vex's verse on gas face.
Speaker 5: So everybody was like, you can't understate that because we're taking them on our senio, we're taking them on the road with cane Like Doom is out there, you know, like as a young kid like sub Rock would come out sometimes because he was still they were both still in school, but someone was like about two years younger and he was yeah, so Doom, Doom was out there more with us, and he experienced things that a kid his age would never experience.
Speaker 13: He was with Tupac on the tour. On the tour, he was with Tupac Yeah, yeah, Doom, Yeah, because we had zebel x on so with third Base. So when every time he did gas face, he came out.
Speaker 10: So how does that feel to see the way that Tyler revered him in this?
Speaker 1: And I mean it's incredible. I mean, you know, but the thing that no, it's not even weird. But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: If his brother, sub Rock didn't die, there is no Doom. That's terrible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the point that Subrock passed, Like you say, that's why he donned the duom. Doom was depressed. I mean his he lost his brother.
Speaker 3: And the album Black Bass.
Speaker 5: Black Basterds, which you know, we we kind of split up up at that time.
Speaker 3: I was managing KMD with Yeah and.
Speaker 5: Created the cover and it was they had the iconic like Sambo character which was a whole message, which was anti Sambo. That was the whole message. So he did this artwork where he had a hangman game.
Speaker 10: I remember that.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, let me tell you a great story I'm sorry, Please hold your spot because I love this story. When we were doing the video for gas Face, Doom and and sub Rock made k MD shirts.
Speaker 3: A handmaid like with a marker with the sambo.
Speaker 1: Lionel Martin from Classic Concepts was the video director, and Ralph McDaniels from Video Music Box. When they see it, they cut lights up and they're like, get the fuck out of here with that.
Speaker 3: Bullshit on your fucking face. Fucking samble, get that ship out of here.
Speaker 1: This young man is talking to a grown man, educating him on what this face is, and within five minutes he was like, yay, you casta. But that was like the level that they both were on in terms of their frequency, like how they would put positive ions in the world, like how they would understand how to break down answer a lass stuff where you wouldn't feel like.
Speaker 3: A villain, right yeah, I mean like the way the villain. Yeah right.
Speaker 5: And at the time they're they're selling oils on the on the street with Doctor York and uh, you know, they're they're on that whole mindset, and you know, Doom coming up in that environment, you know, he just he was a deep thinker and when he made that album cover. There was so much thought behind it. So Havoc Nelson a Billboard looked at it and he didn't get it, and he wrote an article scathing, scathing, saying that this was disrespectful to black people and ice teas cop killer controversy had just happened with Warner and elections under Warner. The next thing, you know, it's like an avalanche with Sylvia Ron and all these people are against it. Next thing, you know, Bob kras was telling Dante the album, we just mastered the album. They already paid all the money and it's ready to go. The single is already out. What a niggy know, it's already been released promo and it's already.
Speaker 3: Out on the radio. And they dropped the whole shit, so dropped them.
Speaker 5: Sub Rock had already passed away, So this was almost like a tribute to sub Rock because he had done so much of the production. He came into his own as an MC on the album. And I remember just being at uh the memorial service, you know, where Doom was playing the album like next to Subrock's casket. Wow, and it was it was deep and the fact that Doom lost his brother, lost his career. Like I tried to get that album signed to Death Jam Tommy Boy, no one would touch.
Speaker 3: He wasn't wearing the mask yet, no no mask whatsoever.
Speaker 5: And you know, Doom went to d C, he went down South, he went, he was all over the place and he disappeared for a while. Like there were a number of different He was hanging out a lot with cm CM Curious, Georgie and all them, and at some point, you know, he re emerged back at the you know, the new a Rican uh you knows cafe, and that's where he came with the sock over his head.
Speaker 1: That's that was the start of him. Remember the white to the very first white m see Vanilla b in Kio. He designed the mask really and Doom.
Speaker 5: But it's crazy, this is the whole like journey, like he met Suburck through Doom through Babito, like you know, Babito went on to Death Jam through us. It was just this whole circle. And then Blake actually designed the first mask for doing which was I think it was going to the wrestler.
Speaker 3: From the Yeah, something from the wrestler, Yeah, and then.
Speaker 5: He like customized it. That was the first mask which I think when they somebody sat on and broke it.
Speaker 3: Operation Doomsday came out, and that's that's the start of m F. Doom.
Speaker 5: So then reinvented his whole persona and just lyric lyrically, you know, he was always way above, always the grade, and then he just took it to a level.
Speaker 3: And then that was signed up. Having the mask came from him losing his brother.
Speaker 1: Part of it, I think, again my perspective, it was just my perspective, right.
Speaker 2: A lot of people, let me just ask you, a lot of people thought that when they went to an Doom concert they didn't know if.
Speaker 3: Or not if that was him or not.
Speaker 5: Well, because because it was somebody else at different times. I even had a couple of guys from Guy P I think they went to Sony, I mean that's Sony Theater and Doom walked by him with the mask and didn't even acknowledge him. And I said to him, well, that may not have been actual Doom, you know, it could have been.
Speaker 3: It could have been the cover.
Speaker 5: Now, the other full circle story is Rich called me like what two thousand and twelve or ten or eleven, with the mask.
Speaker 15: I had started battling the game under persona called Lord Raven. And I remember when I went to Atlanta and I did this party. I was with Doom and I told him about the mask and stuff, and after that he started doing it.
Speaker 3: And so he asked Rich to.
Speaker 5: DJ for him on tour on a I think a world tour, right, yeah, something like that. And then I think he had a problem with you know, passport stuff like that, because Doom even when he traveled with us. Yeah, and he was born in England, so he still had the English passport. You guys used to get detained all the time when we would go. So doing was British doing was born in Vergine.
Speaker 3: Find out bro learning some ship, learned some ship. So rest peace doing. But how dope is it to see? It's incredible?
Speaker 10: Ty, the creator pay Homage said everybody, I mean, there's so many people this.
Speaker 3: Is I mean, but like your you know ahead, no, no, no, he's revered. It's crazy. But recently, like in recent time he died. There were fifteen full train burners that when in countries that would never even allow graffiti to leave.
Speaker 1: The fucking tunnel that rocked for weeks, France, Shanghai, Tokyo, places that they buffer for the ship even leaves the tunnel.
Speaker 3: People that get caned killed put in jail them, ships rocked for weeks. That's the impact of man in Peace. Broe Peace got that with Amanda.
Speaker 2: Going through You guys disciography is a song called Brooklyn Queens Right now, I can't.
Speaker 3: Tell was that something that was dedicated to Brooklyn Queen's Day. You remember that.
Speaker 2: Fresh Meadow Park and it was called Brooklyn Queen's Day. But it was a bunch of Queens dudes. I don't think Brooklyn never came out, but it was called Brooklyn Queen's Day in Queens? Was that record a homage to that?
Speaker 5: So when me and Search first signed to Rush, Search was in the studio working with Sam Sever. I was working by myself. Rich was in farming Dale was trying to get Rich to come in. Dante called up Sam Sever. I was I wasn't a producer. I needed some help on the beat. Sam sever came in to help me. So Brooklyn Queens was one of the songs that me and Rich had done first.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, we did the first demo with Functions Lives didn't sound anything like.
Speaker 5: Exactly so, but then as you know, Private the environment was on Search's original demo, So we kind of like brought each of our catalogs of songs together and then we flipped Brooklyn Queens as you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what it always kind of felt like it was. Remember that was one of the biggest things.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: That was the first time I ever seen Akanelly and Nas performed together. There was a thing called Brooklyn Queen's Day, and I went and I seen them and I was like I had seen them in the neighborhood so many different times. I was like, Oh, these guys rap and I was like, oh shit, that's where the fuck these people are, right.
Speaker 5: And it was kind of more even about like LaToya by just nice, like yeah, Brooklyn Queens.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was like one of those yeah, like we were kind of doing females. Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: It was like all about like you know, meeting a girl from Brooklyn when you're from Queens, right, like especially from for Rockaway, Like that's kind of like a status symbol. Like if you if you scoop a girl from downtown Brooklyn, like you're doing something, you really doing something. Yeah, Yeah, Like we didn't really have it, like you where you had daddies in Left Frack like you know, you know, you know what I mean, like we you know, we had to really troop out and find like you know, and.
Speaker 3: Just the whole name of the song.
Speaker 5: Like I lived in Long Island, I lived in Queens, went to school in Brooklyn, So it was just that whole context of Brooklyn Queens.
Speaker 24: And I mean it could have been very easy because because because Berlin Queens were very compared to hallm and the Bronx.
Speaker 5: But at the time Brooklyn and Queens took over hip hop with Rudinia Runny mc. So like you had the I Love that, that's that that was like the biggest shift in hip hop.
Speaker 3: So there wasn't no Harlem and bros.
Speaker 5: Like that, well there was, it was that was that was a shift with them and with Rush I mean, because that's what Russell did. And Russell started in Harlem with Hollywood, like Russell started promoting Hollywood and like DJ Hollywood DJ Hollywood nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: It was like the bust cross over hip hop.
Speaker 5: DJ exactly exactly. And you know a lot of people say Hollywood isn't hip hop. Hollywood was the biggest rap star.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go step ball night with my honey, bum give me some of that yum me young one them before I go to way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell the fun. He's looking on the Georgia. Georgianamos be smashing right now.
Speaker 5: He was getting five hundred dollars a show for maybe like a half hour at every club, doing like five clubs at night, twenty five hundred dollars a night, and we got the contracts to prove it.
Speaker 2: Yoh crazy, that's legendary. I want to take a shot just because again.
Speaker 3: Let's go and take the picture. I think. I think shots are necessary shots and pictures.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm being honest. Hold on, it's so great, man. I really enjoy giving you all brothers, yr Flowers. I enjoy this man, y'all continue to do this ship.
Speaker 3: And you know what.
Speaker 2: You know in sports and ship like that, you know, you blow your achilles hell, blow your fucking knee out or elbow, or get a concussion.
Speaker 3: We kind of don't get that as in hip hop. We get it mentally.
Speaker 2: If we can overgrow that and we can do this ship for the rest of our life, this the rest of them life, you know what I mean? Continue to be great because the one thing that I noticed with me being in my own ship is when I wasn't doing, you know, doing certain things, it's people that really have that responsibility to want to be a part of us. So there's a whole bunch of lost third base fans that were happy right now. It was like, oh, right back to and they got the same d J like like, I'm one of them, I'm one of them. You everybody will say, I'm wondering them after that, come on, like, are too young.
Speaker 3: In there? One of that Christmas one of them? Like all these young started again again said I'm wanted. I'm one of them. I know Sonny is one of them. Sony is one of them. We all stay together, one two three, in a couple of drops.
Speaker 10: Drink Champs is a Drink Champs LLC production hosts and executive producers n O r E and dj e FN. Listen to Drink Champs on Apple, Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs hosted by Yours Truly, dj e f N and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials that's at Drink Champs across all platforms at the Real noriagon I g at noriag on Twitter, Mine is at Who's Crazy on ig at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink champs dot com