Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. This is Bloomberg business Weekdaily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy, plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: We did, though, also kick off today with something that just kind of is staying with us, a warning from JP Morgan Chase Vice chairman Daniel Pinto. He said and kind of gave us all our heads up that valuations in the AI industry are due for a reassessment. It's something Tim and I've been trying to get into today which could reverberate across the stock market.
Speaker 3: Here's what he said.
Speaker 4: It is possible there is probably a correction there, and that correction will also create a correct in the rest of the segments in the SMPN in the industry, because you are probably in order to justify these valuations, you are considering a level of productivity that it will happen, but it not. It may not happen as fast as the market is pricing.
Speaker 5: Y A a JP Morgan Chase's vice chair Daniel Pento earlier today, that was at the Bloomberg Africa Business Summit in Johannesburg. Curious what buyer sells signals. Our next guest is seeing great to have back with us Vince Howard, CEO and portfolio manager at Howard Capital Management, about six billion dollars in assets under management. He joins us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio. This is the question we've been wanting to ask you since, you know, last time we spoke to you. Is the HCM byline model telling telling you to buy or sell? Right now?
Speaker 6: It's telling us to buy? The HTM byline's positive. Any pullbacks bible till it changes trend and you know, sort of discard the noise and just about what's actually happening. The market's very very healthy. That six great months, I mean not get it. Hey, do you not have a pullback after six months?
Speaker 5: Just one step back? Explain the HCM byline model and it's a data it takes into account and then what it tells you to do.
Speaker 6: It's a non emotional, mechanical, repeatable process. Because I want to take as much emotion out of as I possibly can, which is incredibly challenging with the amount of things that are throwing it at each and every one of us every day. But it's a math based tool, and it's just a trend indicator, and we think it's a very good trend indicator. It's been very well for us. Perfect No, but good. Yes.
Speaker 3: Does momentum though the momentum trade mess it up at all? No, not at all.
Speaker 6: But I love the momentum trade because I love to be in those stocks. I love to be in those sectors. You got to trade momentum. You can't sit in dead money.
Speaker 3: Ye, Well what is momentum? Fomo?
Speaker 2: Like you're like just tracing something without really fundamentally thinking about it.
Speaker 6: Well, as long as it's a big computer game, it doesn't matter. Well it's a big computer. Yeah, it doesn't matter anymore. It's a big computer game. I mean, you're trading it gets algorithms anymore. It's eighty five percent of all the volumes.
Speaker 3: Don't fundamentals matter?
Speaker 6: Well, they're always going to end up mattering in the end. But look at what's happening, Carol. When you look at what's happening with a look at what's happening with with Tesla and that robot there coming out with Optimus. How much is that going to make an impact on so many companies profitabilities and earnings per shuit'.
Speaker 3: They come out with.
Speaker 6: Indeed, do what that's if they do come out with the right I think twenty twenty six, he's going to.
Speaker 3: You think, so, oh, yeah, he's not.
Speaker 5: He doesn't always meet deadlines.
Speaker 6: Well, but when he does, it's usually a big show. They've got one of those things walking around Austin, Texas right now, the cowboy hat.
Speaker 5: On literally walking down person inside it.
Speaker 6: He stops at every red light, he stops at every stop sidne he gets out of people's way. This thing is amazing.
Speaker 3: Wait, what do you think it's going to do?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 3: How do you think it's going to impact our life? Are you really?
Speaker 7: Come on?
Speaker 6: We like, yeah, here's the thing, here's how it's going to impact your life. Let's take a bit and I thought about this a lot with our trading team. Let's just take Starbucks for instance. What if you got one person worse in the cast rest and five people that are that are robots that are serving the coffee. This only costs fifteen to twenty grand for optimists. The robot to make a cup of coffee, you've eliminated four or five jobs right there. You don't have to worry about somebody complaining, coming in for work, getting sick at.
Speaker 3: The bots go out and buy high heels. Probably not so, Like I.
Speaker 5: Do think it's a really good point.
Speaker 2: Do you think about what robots are not going to be spending in the economy and what that means.
Speaker 6: Longer Exactually right, I think you're going to see I think you're going to see unemployment organically move higher, but I think you're going to see corporate profits and a lot of these companies move higher. Also, look at what happened with Walmart. Walmart's a boring company in my opinion.
Speaker 2: But what happens if there isn't a lot of consumer spending going on, which is so much the backbone of the economy.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that filter through?
Speaker 2: And do we have lower economic growth? And are people out of work? That's not a good thing.
Speaker 6: That's not a good thing. It's a terrible thing. But look, I can't change it, and I can't stop it. Neither can the three of us in the side of this room. But what we do have is the HCM bylines with stocks want to sell off.
Speaker 4: We got it.
Speaker 6: We got a mechanical system to say we need to unwind some positions.
Speaker 5: Okay, so the last when was the last time I told you to sell?
Speaker 6: We had a sell signal in April when we had the tariff tantrum and DEVI and then we came back in and it was it was a pretty It was not a great trade for us because it was so violent, so volatile, because it is a trend indicator, and when the trend changes all in like forty eight hours, that's tough to trade. So okay, so you'll remember before we jump onto that. We remember the nasback was down twenty eight percent in a member of days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's tough trade.
Speaker 5: The S and P five hundred low for the year was back on April eighth. Did you what day did you sell? And what did did you get back in? Do you remember to be quite Canada?
Speaker 6: I don't remember.
Speaker 5: But did you miss did you miss some of the upside?
Speaker 6: We missed some of the upside we did painfully for us. But you know when you trade.
Speaker 3: We found some of the downside we did, and.
Speaker 6: We did and it was a painful trade for us. I'm going to admit it. It wasn't a great trade for us. Remember the biolize everybody. It feels like it's a seventy thirty thirty percent of the time. It's not going to work. So we're going to get whips and.
Speaker 3: Do you do you go?
Speaker 5: Do you go all in and all out?
Speaker 6: At times?
Speaker 5: No, we scale, you scale, So because we were I mean, we were talking with somebody just last week, a manager who says that you know, he this was a really interesting conversation. He basically said, I'm so tactical that I'm willing to go to one hundred percent cash for all of my clients at any given moment. Do you ever do that?
Speaker 6: We have before in two thousand and eight, we're one hundred percent. The only the only way that we'll go one hundred percent to cash is if the banks are imploding, and that's what was happening in two thousand and eight. So if we're thirty percent out or sixty percent out but all are none. Game is a tough game to trade, it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, the tax implications of that are huge.
Speaker 6: Well, taxing maclations, but catching both sides of the trade perfect are really tough.
Speaker 5: So he said, I would rather pay twenty percent taxes than have thirty percent declines.
Speaker 1: I forget what that was.
Speaker 3: You're right like that.
Speaker 2: I can't remember us. I did well my the private credit market. Oh you're ready to create something? Oh thank you, akin to the Great Financial Crisis, because it does feel like increasingly we're seeing things every day people are worried.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think that what's going to what should worry people as our national debt. I think that's a tipping point. If that cracks, I think we've got a real problem.
Speaker 3: Like real, like the Great Financial criss.
Speaker 6: I think, like a great financial crisis. I think you're going to make Yeah, it's to tip. Yeah, it's gona affect everything. I mean the banks are going to lock up. Credit is going to lock up. People are going to be short or long term loans.
Speaker 3: When you say banks, I mean the big banks too.
Speaker 6: I think the big banks, of course. And I think it's gonna affect everybody. I mean, what do you got X amount of tree? And is the death that we currently have And every day it's getting larger and larger and larger. It's unsustainable. And if they keep printing money, Carol, your dollar, my dollar, all of a sudden's is not worth a dollars for a nickel. And so you got it. That's the printing of money is going to have to stop too.
Speaker 2: What about the AI bubble? I shouldn't called bubble because we don't know if it's a bubble. We just know it's a big spend right now, which bubble?
Speaker 6: The AI? Yeah, it's not a big spin. This is different when we looked at you remember in nineteen ninety nine and we had the three year bear market. They had all these tech stocks that blew up. They weren't making any money. They were not making any money. Were going on. They're making money hand over fist. They're making money so fast they can't spend it. What happens if in five to seven years to ten years, Microsoft is so profitable they're paying an eight or ten or twelve percent dividend.
Speaker 2: So ten seconds, you're still owning the big mag seven, the big tech, the hyperscalers.
Speaker 5: I am here, you're buying them.
Speaker 6: I am hoping that the Vidio comes out with something that shocks the market. They drop down so I can buy more, because five years from now, in the video is going to be a lot higher and is today.
Speaker 3: Shame you're not more bullish.
Speaker 7: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Vance Howard, chief executive officer portfolio manager at Howard Capital Market, Thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five ees. During that, listen on Apple, Karplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: All right, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Ben Salmon at the White House with President Trump earlier today this evening. By the way, there's a black tie dinner, not an official state dinner, although at that dinner we did here, Elon Musk would be there.
Speaker 5: Tiger Woods reportedly will be there as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of officials.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: There's also an investment conference plan for tomorrow that executives from companies including Chevron Pfizer, they will be attending. So we wanted to kind of put this in perspective because typically you would see these two kinds of leaders meet and you think energy policy would come up.
Speaker 3: Really didn't. Let's get to it with doctor Allen Wall.
Speaker 2: She's president of Transversal Consulting, Senior Fellow at the Atlanta Council, author of Saudi Inc. Joining US from Boca Raton, Florida. Ellen, so good to have you back here. Feels like Saudi Inc. And US Inc. Are kind of merging. Tell me about this meeting because it was kind of fascinating. It really wasn't about conversations around oil or the energy markets.
Speaker 8: It was absolutely fascinating, especially if you had an opportunity to watch the press conference live. I think everything from the marble fulloers to the White House, to whether or not Sadi Ava is going to join the Abraham Accords was covered. What's interesting is the amount of money that Mohammed ben Salmon is talking about potentially investing in the United States. And I think the big question on everyone's mind is where are they getting this money from, given that oil prices are pretty low. And I think the answer really is you have to look at the Saudi Investment Fund, the PIF, because that's really where they have a lot of their investment dollars and ready to deploy, and that fund is really independent of the price of a barrel of oil. So I think the question of whether Saudi can deliver this money, the answer is yes, But whether they actually will deliver on this is another question. And I do think that a lot of that money is probably earmarked for defense purchases, and that really depends on whether they do go through with this agreement to sell Saudi Arabia F thirty five and other defense equipment that is somewhat controversial and hasn't necessarily been sold to Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 5: Previously, Cherl mentioned that you're the author of saudiank The History of Saudi Arabia and a Ramco, and I wonder now how successful the Saudi Arabian government has been the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia of diversifying its economy away from oil. Has it been successful?
Speaker 8: That is a really great question, and I think the answer is if you're looking at and you're trying to say, have they achieved the goals that they set out to achieve when they announced their big plan to diversify, well, the answer is no, they have not really achieved those goals. I think really a lot of those goals were not achievable goals. What they have done is they have introduced some very important changes that I think can certainly help make the Saudi economy more robust over time. We're talking about making it easier for foreigners to visit the country, both for tourism but also to work, opening up the workspace for women, and important societal changes like that. I think in the long run will help diversify their economy. But if you're asking whether their economy is still very much dependent on the energy industry, the answer is yes. A Ramco, on the other hand, has over the past fifty years, I would say, significantly diversified itself from simply an upstream come that sold a lot of crude oil to a very diverse energy company that has multiple revenue streams. So they're not just dependent on what the price of a barrel of oil is. They make a lot of oil products, they're getting into natural gas, they make money off of trading oil in the financial sense, and so they're making a lot of money that is not dependent on whether the price of a barrel of oil is sixty dollars or eighty dollars.
Speaker 3: So I guess what.
Speaker 2: This relationship that we are seeing between the United States and Saudi Arabia. I feel like it's always been a bit of a frenemy kind of relationship between the two nations. Having said that, there's been times where it's been stronger at times when it has not.
Speaker 3: Is this the relationship going forward in your view?
Speaker 8: What's so interesting about the relationship between the US and Saudi Arabia is that Saudi Arabia has a very different view of the relationship than the United States does. In the Saudi mind, the US is a best friend that they've They've always been so close, and they've cultivated an entire kind of aura, an idea about this friendship. They think the US is a huge ally. If you look at it from the US perspective, satur Arabia is at least it can be a strategic partner. But satur Arabia would not be considered an ally to the United States the same way Great Britain or Canada.
Speaker 3: Might be considered an ally.
Speaker 8: And so I think that that leads to very different opinions about what exactly is going to go on. So you know whether or not you know Sadi Arabi has a defense agreement, Yes, traditionally we have had defense agreements, but from the US perspective that's not always so guaranteed. If it's beneficial to the US, then it will happen. But you know, it's not necessarily a guarantee. It's not necessarily this ally ship that the Saudis often perceived the relationship to be.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting when you say Canada and the UK, and in particular Canada, I feel like, you know, it looks almost a friendly relationship between the US and Saudi Arabia than it certainly does between US and Canada.
Speaker 9: Right now.
Speaker 2: I guess my question really, you know, Ellen, is are we laying the ground for whoever is in the White House next, be it Democrat or Republican, that this is the relationship or could it change and get different depending again, who is in the White House.
Speaker 8: I think that there's always kind of a baseline, and you could see that when Trump was kind of fishing for a compliment from NBS as you know, oh, well, he's the best president. You know, they've had the best relationship with Trump, and NBS kind of answered that with, well, we've always had, you know, Democrat or Republican, we've always had good relations with president of the United States, and then he mentions Reagan as a particularly good one. So I think that NBS is certainly looking at this as he's got to lay the groundwork for his good relationships with presidents that are going to come after Trump, whereas Trump is seeing it as the hero and.
Speaker 5: Now the military balance of power in the Middle East, the potential F thirty fives that Saudi Arabia could get as a result of making a deal with the UNI States. President Trump said he would approve selling the F thirty five fighter jet to Saudi Arabia. I'm just wondering how that changes the balance of power when it comes to the militaries in the region, especially with regard to Israel, which for years has been a US ally, And also what US interest the US would have an interest in selling F thirty five's apart from getting the revenue to a US company.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 8: I do think from Trump's perspective, he thinks that the F thirty fives are the greatest airplane ever to be made, and so he loves that everybody wants them, and so it's more of an economic issue. I think from the Pentagon's perspective, they're looking at it as more of a strategic issue. Now. The UAE apparently got assurances they would be able to purchase these when they signed the Abraham Accords, and it was believed that this would also be a condition for Saudi Arabia. I think it's very very clear now that Saudi Arabia is not going to join the Abraham Accords. They're not recognizing Israel unless they get unless there's an absolutely there's an assured pathword to Palestinian state. I don't see that happening anytime in the near future. So I think we're kind of going to be at a standstill here, and if the Pentagon has severe concerns about it, I think it may not actually go through as much as Trump wants it to go through.
Speaker 2: Is that more tricky or is it the AI chips that are more tricky and Saudi Arabia need both.
Speaker 3: The AI chips are very tricky. I do think.
Speaker 8: That that's really what's going to be the focus of this investment meeting and this dinner, is that the PIF wants to make these investments in these firms because that's their way of kind of getting their hands on this technology. I think from the US national security perspective, they don't want their chips to be in any connection with Chinese technology equipment. And so there are serious concerns cybersecurity concerns there that are going to have to be dealt with. But I do see the PIF potentially make investments in these firms. I don't see necessarily US producing semiconductors and chips in Saudi Arabia, but I do think the Saudis can make a case to try to get data centers in the kingdom, particularly if they can assure the security the equipment in their country, and also if they offer you know, basically free land and free energy. I could see I could see that being a very powerful draw.
Speaker 2: All right, great stuff, Ellen, Thank you so much, doctor Ellen Wall, President of Transversal Consulting, Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council.
Speaker 5: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 9: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on applecar Play and the Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa played Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to stay on global relationships the economies that drive them. And turn on over to doctor Adam Posen. He's president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics. He joins us from I believe the nation's capital on this Tuesday, Yes, Washington, DC, Doctor Posen, good to have you back here on Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: And on Bloomberg BusinessWeek Daily.
Speaker 2: These relationships, I first got to ask you, you know, watching the relationship, what seems to be a very close relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia, and I think about their economies.
Speaker 3: How do you see it? What's significant for you here in watching this?
Speaker 7: Thank you Carol for having me back on Bloomberg BusinessWeek Daily. I want to pick up on some things you discussed with your previous guests, which is there is a huge economic leaving aside the national security incentive for Saudi to behave in this way in that MBS, the Crown Prince has very definitely been seeing part of his agenda to try to transition Saudi away from over dependence on export of fossil fuelds. And it's the right thing for them to do from the economic perspective. And obviously Saudi for many decades has been accumulating surpluses of cash and trying to invest them. They've been trying to diversify. I wouldn't go quite as far as your previous guests did in extolling how much a RAM cost Pirst five, but they've been trying. I think the deeper integration with the US is a path towards that, and it is a credible path towards that. That's not to say they haven't been doing a lot of good things in terms of domestic investment and on the economic front on liberalization. They have, and I know a lot of very serious money investors who are very excited by this, but just to say this puts them on the path. For the US, however, I think it's less important economically. It is more about the security relationship, or at least it should be. There's never been a shortage of people willing to invest in the US, or at least except with the exception of a few years in the late seventies and early eighties, not since nineteen hundred, and that remains the case, even though things are happening to make the US a little less attractive. So for the US, I think there has to be more of the security diplomatic conditionality just simply getting Saudi investment in the US is not that big a game.
Speaker 5: What type of conditionality, especially in exchange for after thirty five state of the r jets?
Speaker 7: Well, Tim, I think that's the right question, and I would not say it necessarily needs to be tied to Israel recognition in the abraham Ac courts, but it needs to be tied to something of that caliber. So maybe it's something about how they're relating to Iran, or something about the Saudi mutual guarantees with Pakistan, some sort of agreement on how the Saudis influenced Pakistan, or maybe it's about the investment which the Saudis have indicated they're willing to do in rebuilding Gaza and dealing with what will be refugee issues there. All I'm saying is that it has to be something substantial, But I also think you want the f thirty fives of course are a big carrot, but you also want to think of it in terms of the relationship. And this is what is key, whether it's UK or Saudi or Japan.
Speaker 2: Adam, Adam, you talk about relationships, And I think about something that came up questioning by reporters of the President and MBS while at the White House, and that is about kind of the relationships that the Trump organization has with Saudi Arabia on business deals. And we have a story in the Bloomberg about the Trump organization planning a luxury resort in the Maldives with a Saudi Arabian partner.
Speaker 3: It's just one case. I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: You've watched, You've talked about, You've analyzed different administrations, this kind of what seems to be a mixing melding. I know the President answered the question, he said, I have nothing to do with family business, But how do you see this?
Speaker 7: No, I appreciate your asking that, Carol, and I don't want to be mean, but it doesn't matter whether the president literally in the narrow sense, has nothing to do with it or not. We had laws, and more importantly, we had norms, and we had expectations from the press, from the public, from the markets that the US did not deal in family enrichment when you're in public office, let alone when you're the president. Some of your viewers might remember the old John Adams miniseries in which John Adams alienated both his daughter and his son in law or one of his sons and his son in law because he wouldn't advance them while he was in the White House. And what matters is this very strong perception which is obvious and cutter in the United arabin where in Saudi, but even with the gold that was offered just the other day to the President, that there is this perception that you link things. Now, I don't want to overdramatize this. There are a lot of countries in the world, including Saudi, including Turkey, including China, where this kind of ties go on between the leaders, families and chosen friends and foreign policy and other governments. It's not good, it's not fair, it's wasteful and distortionary, but it's also not the end of the world. Businesses and investors can proceed. But for the US, this is going back to your original question, this is a huge step change. We've not seen anything like this the least since Teddy Roosevelt, meaning one hundred and twenty years.
Speaker 2: So just to be fair, because we certainly get feedback from our audience and to say that the President says I'm not involved though, you know, and we've had any president that walks into the White House, Republican or democrat you know, certainly has allegiances to industries or so on.
Speaker 7: I agree. I agree, it's never going to be absolute. And we all know the stories of people going back to Jimmy Carter's brother selling beer, that there's always relatives who try to profit on these things. But the so again, this isn't about ascribing the levolent intent. But you want to have a system in place where people expect and feel, particularly investors but also average citizens expect and feel that this is an exception, not the rule that you occasionally have the rogue family member, but that on the one hand, policy choices are not being driven and being perceived as driven by these things, and on the other hand, that economic choices are being made on a commercial basis. And that's why, no matter how many times people of different parties and different administrations or appointments fail on this front, you want to have a system of scrutiny and rules and presumptions that it discourages our elected officials from being so overt about it. I think, to be fair, you know, the Trump administration and the sons of President Trump and Secretary Ludnik and the Middle East negotiator guy and all these people. You know, they're being very open, and I think that in one sense does matter, like they are with crypto, But in another sense that doesn't solve the problem because then the perception is still people are being favored, decisions are being made on a bad basis. You have to offer gold crowns or hotel deals to make things happen.
Speaker 2: And transparency doesn't necessarily gain actions, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, doctor Wilson, Doctor Posen, you said it's not the end of the world if we're in a situation such as this or in a society such asist.
Speaker 7: But it's not the end of the world.
Speaker 5: But I'm wondering if there are potentially long term economic repercussions that happen in societies that don't necessarily have the same rules in place, if we can look to history or modern history to get an understanding of what the implications of that could be in the US.
Speaker 3: In your view, oh, I think they're enormous.
Speaker 7: I think then, because it's the US, which, as I've argued tim has been the lynchpin of the rules based, law based system of economy since World War Two. It has repercussions around the world because it means the US is not only enforcing the norms against this kind of corruption or perceived corruption or tied political choice making. It means that the US is setting an example that you can get away with it and other people should get away with it, and it breaks down the regimes and the operating principles we have to attorney thinks. So when I say it's not the end of the world, I don't mean to suggest it's not very harmful. It will reduce the returns on capital, it will reduce the ability of average people on normal businesses to get access to opportunities. It will divide the world. It will increase in stability and investment markets. It will waste public money. It's bad in a lot of ways. I just merely want to be very clear that though it's unusual for the US in the last one hundred plus years to behave this way, in our long ago history and in other countries around the world, this has taken place, and that there have been much small or much less overt examples of this by you a previous US administration.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know, just thinking about all you've just said, doctor Posen, and then kind of squaring that with the recent government shut down and the domestic issues that kind of came to the forefront. You know, the one in eight Americans who are on some kind of food assistance or food stamps.
Speaker 4: You know the.
Speaker 2: Amount of Americans that are just struggling to put food on their table, a roof over their head.
Speaker 3: I want to bring it down.
Speaker 2: Then, with so much focus on global issues, and so leould say, when you're president, you have to look beyond the US borders as well as within the US borders. But having said that, what is it that you know is being maybe being ignored in your view domestically, that's really got to be.
Speaker 3: Addressed.
Speaker 7: Again, you're asking very profound questions. I'll just say that in an enlightened administration, the reason you get involved in the rest of the world is because it ultimately is to if you set up a rest of the world that feels safer and less corrupt and more stable unless subject to disease and refugee flows and wars, that's ultimately to the benefit of the average American. And if you have open and free commerce on a rules based basis that raises American opportunities and American citizens purchasing power. So I agree with you, there's a question of how you prioritize. And this goes to the point with Saudi, I'm not sure that that should be the biggest priority of an American administration right now. It's fine, you can walk into gum. It can be one of the things. So when you say what's in the domestic front, I think the removal of health care support subsidies and access to Medicaid and to all these Obamacare related things is going to materially affect the health and well being of millions of human beings in the US. And that is bad economically, but it's bad in human terms. I think the reduction of options through the anti migration policies, through other policies that make it so more people, mostly women in late middle age, have to stay home to be caregivers to elders and to children and to disabled people, is materially bad for humans and is a huge pressure on people. And I think the combination of anti migration policy, attacks on the FED tariffs deal making, some of which looks corrupt, all adds to a more inflationary environment, which reduces real incomes for people. So there's a whole bunch of things on the domestic front. But I just want to say that it's not about choosing the global versus domestic. It's about choosing the self interested versus the public welfare.
Speaker 3: I think we need to leave it there that I got to say.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'm in awe of our guests, and I certainly am on this Tuesday, Doctor Posen, thank you so much, Really appreciate okay for having me same here. Thank you for joining us, Doctor Adam Posen, president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics.
Speaker 5: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five e's During this listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: A lot to talk about with our next guest.
Speaker 2: It is our weekly discussion on women, Money and Power, where we explore the economic implications of the wealth shift of money to women and really how to navigate them. We welcome Stephanie gil She's chief investment officer at robin Hood Market. She's here in studio. Stephanie, good to have you here. There's a lot going on. I kind of say that Tim and I say that it feels like almost every day. Let's start broadly with the market environment. We've seen quite a pullback and a lot of risk on assets, whether it's the mag seven, whether it's Nvidia, whether it's semiconductors, whether it's bitcoin. Is this a market reset, a sellof or market crush that we're kind of getting near or neither.
Speaker 3: I think, or none of the But of the above, I think it's correction.
Speaker 10: So I don't know if one of those was part of that, but I think it's a healthy correction. You get them every once two years. Sometimes we forget that, and we just got off of a period of no data. Valuations had gotten really high, and there is a legitimate question around how much companies are spending versus how much they're making in terms of cash flow, and in the largest company, so that's going to affect the broader.
Speaker 3: Mar about big tech, and I'm talking about big tech.
Speaker 10: And AI and obviously Amazon's borrowing outsizing it to fifteen billion doesn't.
Speaker 3: Necessarily help that narrative.
Speaker 10: So I think you just need to start seeing proof that there's a return on invested capital. There are other things that are working though in the market.
Speaker 5: We'll get to some of the things that are working, but I want to know what the proof would look like in your view, what do you need to see from some of these companies to show, Okay, the money that we're spending is actually paying off.
Speaker 10: I think you need to start seeing money from the actual investments that they're making in terms of like AI investments, how it actually reaches the consumer, how it reaches enterprise.
Speaker 3: Like we know in the private area.
Speaker 10: Anthropic is doing a little bit more revenue right because there enterprise focus versus like an open AI that's more consumer focused. So I think if people are investing money in places that are going to prove out that revenue comes. I think the other thing is that you're the change in the one big beautiful bill right gave that one hundred percent expensing, And that's kind of something that I'm looking forward to in the future as well, which is like that's not just AI investing, but also in other tech and infrastructure and like that can start to lift the market too.
Speaker 3: One of the things I want to ask you about.
Speaker 2: You shared some notes with our producer Arielagami, and you said or you noted global markets are fundamentally changed. Individual investors are now a corporate part of the financial ecosystem, reshaping how capital markets function. What was once the domain of institutions is now open and accessible to millions of individuals worldwide. I understand where you're coming from, but I was thinking about what doctor Adam Posen, president the Peterson Institute for International Economics, said coming off of the meeting between President Trump and Mohammed bin Saman of Saudi Arabia, that this idea that capital flows actually are being controlled to some extent by moves out of the White House, whether it's taking stakes in companies, or it's the AI spend that is controlling so much, or it's what some say is a transactional White House where invest here and you get this, it's very different in some regard in a lot of ways from what we've had in the past.
Speaker 10: I've personally never watched so many political shows in my career of over twenty years.
Speaker 3: Like that is part of what you have to know as an investment.
Speaker 2: Makes me question, like do individual investors really still have a lot to say here?
Speaker 10: I think they do, but not necessarily in the biggest companies like I, you know, I think there's they actually are seeing some of the individual investors, I think are seeing things before the institutional investors, and that they many are so aligned with the White House and what they're doing that they're like, this is what I think the future is. I also think that it's not necessarily showing up in the largest companies. There are other companies, smaller ones that they kind of gather together and sort of community invest and those aren't the biggest companies, but they are ones that are more volatile, but they have a longer time horizon. And most of the people on our platform are average age of thirty five. You know, more than two thirds of our company is one Nails and gen Z, So that's what you know. I think it's the same as thing as Sorry, the thing is being on a trading desk and kind of talking about investment ideas together.
Speaker 3: Now they're in X doing the same thing and stuff.
Speaker 5: They're probably watching crypto closely too. Bitcoin down twenty five to thirty percent, depending on when you look at it from those all time highs just last month. Yeah, what does that do not for your customer and not for the robinhood user, but what does that do for sentiment or does it give any indication of sentiment.
Speaker 10: I think it does because you have seen actually some really big institutions sell some large positions too recently, not just in bitcoin, but obviously in video and other names.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 10: But then there is buyers too from Berkshire Hathaway.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 10: I think those that play in the crypto space are very used to large swings and they're you know, I think there's kind of a meme out there that says if you're invest like when stock investors have a big drag down, they're like, you know, the crypto investors are like, welcome to the way it feels. So I actually think they're kind of used to it. We haven't really seen a huge shift of anything. Most of our customers when they're investing, they play the volatility in that when it goes up a lot, they'll trim their positions.
Speaker 3: When it gets down a lot, they do add we.
Speaker 2: Have to jump so much going on, come back soon because we would like to continue that. Stephanie Guild, chief investment Officer at robin Hood Markets.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal