Speaker 1: Kyle Bradish of The O's is hopping on with us right now to talk about the Orioles and being in the mix right now. Kyle, thanks for joining us. How's the season going?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me on. Guys, you know season's going. It's been a grindy one. Obviously, it would be like to be in a better position than where we are right now, but you know, there's still some games left to play, so hopefully we'll pick it up and make a whole playoff push.
Speaker 3: Hey, Kyle, isn't every season grindy? Isn't every season grinding? This isn't your first season. You've been through a bunch of these now, isn't doesn't? I mean I love when you're like, oh, it's grindy, But isn't every season kind of grindy?
Speaker 4: Good, bad? I mean they're different kind of grinds. Do you feel that way? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. It's a long one sixty two. This one's felt a little longer at some stretches, so I think it's been a little more grindy than in the past.
Speaker 3: But you're a starting pitcher. You're a starting pitcher. You only gotta go out there thirty times a year. Shouldn't it be shouldn't it be like, oh, vacation, vacation for the next four days, and then oh yeah, now I gotta get ready to pitch. So I feel like it's a starting pitcher, it's a little bit easier to get through every day.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes as a starting pitcher, but you're also out there with your guys every day trying to win. So when team's not playing good or team is playing good, you're right there with them.
Speaker 6: I can. I can comment on this. Sitting there and not playing makes it way longer than going out there and playing every day, so I can comment on that. Wasn't a starting pitcher. I just sat on the bench with you guys a lot. But do you feel like the season's different now that you are fully off of your recovery from Tommy John fully back where you're like, Okay, you played a little bit. Rehab is extensive for as long as you were out, but now you're like, Okay, I'm in it for a whole season. Is this season feel different coming back from that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: The past two years, just having to be going through that rehab process, it definitely made the season feel longer in a different way, mostly because I wasn't able to be out there with my guys competing. I was just watching the whole season, not just every four days, but right now. It's just get my body right in between starts to go out there and compete for the thirty three starts that you try to make all year.
Speaker 6: All right, So you went through that the last two years. Then the team comes to you with an extension offer. Can you give us a little bit more of what goes on in that than we normally get, because it's like extension. Really happy to be part of the team, love to be here for the next few years.
Speaker 4: It's going to be great.
Speaker 6: How does that process start? Is it stressful for you or is it something that you say, agents take care of it. I'm gonna throw speedballs up there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this was not the first time they came to me with an offer. We didn't agree to like our our number. So in between not agreeing and then going to the hearing they made an offer, nothing really came out of it. So then kind of went in the season not really thinking anything of it. And then first they all start break they reached out to my agent with another offer, and then we spent kind of that four or five days just going back and forth negotiating, and then we got to a number where I think everybody was comfortable at, and it really came down to that this is kind of where me and my wife wanted to spend the next five years. We're comfortable here. We really like the staff that's been brought in this year and the pitching guys. I've been with them for the past two three years, so they're great, and just really comfortable with those guys, Kyle.
Speaker 3: So it came together really quick. Then, from what you're saying, was there pressure? Was there any pressure from on you?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 3: I don't want to say from anyone outside of because nobody can understand the pressure as players we put on ourselves.
Speaker 4: What was their pressure when you first heard it.
Speaker 3: I mean, you said it came together in a few days, But when they first came back to you, were you just like, man, I really want to get this done. I just want to get this done because I love it here so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think with that first offer that they came before spring training kind of laid some groundwork, so it kind of made this one a little easier to get to where we needed to get to. But I think the only pressure was it was me putting it on myself if I was really comfortable turning down that amount of money to take the chance of whatever happening over the next two and a half years. And then kind of looked at myself and talked to my wife about it is like, we're really happy here, so why not spend the next five years here?
Speaker 6: What about the team that you look at, the guys that are on the field, does that go into your thought process? You said right after the All Star break, you go, okay, I'm looking around. We got basioh we got Boz, we got ad Okay, no, so we got Westburg coming back, we got Hunt, Gunner, all those things. Does that go to your thought process?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, It's more so how I feel comfortable, Like in the clubhouse. We have a great clubhouse, great group of guys, and the talent speaks for itself. Like you said, you got Gunner, Bassio, Wessey coming back, Shane signed on for the next four years. Obviously the big one is the polar bear kind of leading the charge right there. But I think having those guys and just knowing that you're going to be around those guys for the next four or five years and being able to compete with them definitely makes this.
Speaker 5: Easier to sign. And you wanting to do that.
Speaker 1: Science experiment for the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt. Just opened it and pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 3: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free Stevy, a free Keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 1: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested, give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i Ncee dot com slash f ou l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quin dot Com slash file. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, the guy that I jokingly skipped over slash not is gone Adlie Rutsman. Both of you made your debut the same year. When you see a guy like that gone one, were you surprised too? What's your reaction or interaction with him since that trade?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was definitely surprising that it actually happened. Everybody saw all the rumors and everything, but for it to actually happen was definitely surprising. I know it hit this clubhouse hard. I've played with Adli or against Ali basically my whole life. Not a lot of people know you're up in Oregon, fifteen minutes from each other, playing literal league against each other. He caught me in the cape during summer ball in college and then throughout like our whole minor league and now major league career. He's kind of been that guy that's been behind the plate for me. So yeah, it was definitely difficult, and it's tough to kind of get behind the business side, but also I understand the personal side of like, that's that's our guy, and now you see him in a different uniform.
Speaker 4: Are you gonna throw at him, Kyle first time?
Speaker 3: You're just gonna buzzle on up and not hit him because look, I have my ildly shirt. He makes his debut today, So when you play the Red Sox, I'm not advocating hitting him, but you know, just buzz the tower, trim some beard up there for him a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I texted him, tell him I'm gonna miss you, wish you the best luck, and be on the lookout for that front hip syncer. So if it, if it doesn't sink, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: Nice. I love it. I love it. Was there anything that happened for you on deadline day?
Speaker 3: You obviously signed the extension, so you weren't worried, But were you checking your phone every couple of minutes because you guys are still in the wild cards, So were you sitting there going all right, if we can make this move, we can make this move, then we can really get into this race.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think everybody likes to play GM, especially around that time, I was I was more looking at what we were going to do kind of with like Rogers or those other guys that were kind of on the end of the contracts.
Speaker 5: Especially with the Adlee news.
Speaker 2: You never knew what was going to happen, but just knowing we are still kind of in the hunt for that wildcard spot. You're hoping some things are going to happen, but you understand some things that don't happen. But at the end of the day, like a lot Dean Kramer, one of my best friends, Welsey one of my better friends on the team too. Wardy and Adley are gone now, but I think it wasn't like a full tear down. You still have Rogers, who's kind of been one of the leaders in this rotation for the past two years. So I think we're we're still in a good spot. Just one games.
Speaker 6: It's three games insurmountable though, Like we look at it and we go there's a lot of teams right in that spot. For you guys on the field right now, when you look up at the scoreboard and you're lying if you don't look at the scoreboard, because you got a lot that you're not doing while you're not pitching. But what is it? Does a feel Does three games feel insurmountable?
Speaker 2: No, I think we've been in the worst position earlier on in the year than where we are right now.
Speaker 5: And I think it all just takes.
Speaker 2: Is you get on a run three five games here and you're right back in it, or you're in the playoff spot.
Speaker 5: Three games is not that bigger deal.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've been playing these guys, We're playing the Twins right now, just got done with the Rangers. We got a lot of other good games coming up, So no, three games is not crazy to think about.
Speaker 3: Hey, Kyle, you mentioned Kramer and we talked about Adlete. He pitched against you guys last night in a Twins uniform. He got he got a win. Sorry, but the facts. Was there any extra trash talking from your bench, like to him when he goes out there and takes around. Did you see any extra emotion from from from Dean and what you would normally see because you watch him pitch a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been watching him pitch for the past five years. He's pretty even keel out there. He doesn't show too much emotion. I know that he was definitely We talked about it before the start, and then we went and got coffee this morning and kind of recapped it. But there was definitely some emotion going into it, just knowing these are his friends, he's been playing with him for the past five years, but also wanting to go get that win for his new team is ahead of us in the standings. But I know there was some trash talk early on from myself as well, But I mean, he pitched a great game, so it's kind of kind of tough to keep talking trash when he's doing what he did.
Speaker 6: I wait, trash talk, like what are you like, I'm gonna watch you better than you're gonna watch me from the bench, Like how do pictures? Trash talk back and forth to each other.
Speaker 2: We got our own little inside jokes that we've had over the years, so kind of take his mind off of the game plan out there and focus on what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: All right, So, who has the advantage? We talked about Adlie talked about, you know, the front hip, Who has the advantage when a dude caught you for what you said essentially your entire life. Who has the advantage? Do you know him better than he knows you. Does he know you better than you know him?
Speaker 5: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think I've really ever thrown to a against the guy that's caught me as much as Ali has, so he might think he has advantage on pitch, secret sing and stuff. But I feel like when I'm out there on my game, I have I have the advantage with the ball in my hand.
Speaker 4: That's fair, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 3: But you know, as a catcher, you always think, oh, I knew exactly what he's gonna throw right. I faced him in I faced him in BP and spring training and he broke my bat once, but only because I wasn't ready. So as a catcher, you always think you have the advantage, and then the pitcher is always like, oh no, here's a new pitch that I just learned, a trick pitch you didn't you didn't know I had, And then they get you out and then they laugh and yeah, whatever it.
Speaker 5: Is, might have might have to get a new one when I face him.
Speaker 6: We'll do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why not try it? Then?
Speaker 3: Just don't give up a hit, because then you know something bad might be said back to you, So you know it's it's.
Speaker 4: All fair though, it's all fair, it's all part of the fun.
Speaker 3: People just don't understand how much there is a lot of trash talking amongst friends that people don't really get to see. It's more there's not a lot of words, there's some verbal there's some hand signals that a lot of people don't see.
Speaker 4: So I live for it. I live for it, Kyle, and listen.
Speaker 3: I hope you'll have an awesome time when you do get to face them for the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I'm definitely, I'm definitely looking forward.
Speaker 6: To all right, Kyle, I got a one nerdy looking at the stats. At the beginning of the year, you're walking way too many dudes, way more than and recently, I don't know if it's the last six or eight games, whatever it is, it is dropped. I think you had a five walk game and then since then you have been nails, not perfect, but nails. Was there a concerted effort to do something different so that obviously no picture wants to walk dudes, But was there a concerted effort from that line that day that you had five walks till now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we've been kind of talking about it. Me they're starting pitchers and are like pitching coaches. Just as a whole, we've walked way too many guys, especially early on in the year, and I think the biggest thing that we've kind of gotten back to is strike one percentage, winning kind of the one to one counts and then putting guys away when you have two strikes on them. And that's kind of been the mentality of this whole staff the past month or two. And I feel like for me personally, I've just more times than not, i haven't felt comfortable out there and kind of my setup and delivering stuff so been battling that the majority of the year. The past, like you said, the past four or five feel like they're getting back to normal.
Speaker 1: This is that time of year, AJ, It is Baseball's time to shine, and it is See geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing seating and games that are even sold out available on Sea Geek.
Speaker 3: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff. Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seakeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 6: I got a question about your manager when he got hit in the face and then he came out and he had whatever orbital whatever he had. People were like, WHOA, this team needs to get behind that. Does a manager hit in the face and then coming back out like pump the dudes up? Or you guys like from your pitcher's bench, are you like get out of the way, Craig.
Speaker 2: No, I mean that was I was actually inside for that. I saw it on TV and then I saw him walk in, So that was that was scary. But thankfully I was not doug out to see that, but yeah, I mean, I think that's one of those things where you want to kind of rally behind your manager for doing that and then come back out and finish in the game. Just kind of shows you that toughness of what this team needs to be about. And I think we came back and won that game. But no, I'll be great guy. I'm very very happy and very fortunate to have him as their manager.
Speaker 3: An Kyle, I know you're a starting pitcher, and sometimes it's hard for starting pitchers to talk to position players because you know, we have to grind every day. We're not special teams players. We can only play half the ball, right, we have to play on both sides. But do you say anything to Gunner or Jackson, Holiday or Cowser or any of the position players on a daily basis, like, Hey, come on, like I need you today, We need you to have energy today.
Speaker 4: I need to win out of you.
Speaker 3: I need a home er out of you today, Gunner, Or do you just kind of walk by and give them the old picture like.
Speaker 5: Some days.
Speaker 2: I mean, we all kind of joke around in the clubhouse, and I don't think it's a secret in the clubhouse, that offense has been struggling as of late, just like early in the air pitching was struggling.
Speaker 5: And I think we have.
Speaker 2: That good of a clubhouse to where guys feel comfortable to go talk to them. But with those guys you mentioned, I mean I have my handshakes with Gunner and Kowser, and we talk kind of on a daily basis, whether it's playing games or actually talking baseball. So I think we have a pretty good relationship to where, yeah, if I went up to them and said, hey, need a homer are you today?
Speaker 5: They completely get it.
Speaker 6: Has somebody stepped into Adlie's role you talk about the handshakes and everything, that leadership role or is that something that's not even We don't even need somebody to be Adlie. Everyone just needs to be themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Adley's such a kind of special personality, Especially in that clubhouse. He was friends with everybody, So I don't think you really build that that.
Speaker 5: Role that he was to this clubhouse.
Speaker 2: Everybody kind of goes about their business and Adley was more of a kind of lead by example guy anyways, but he definitely was one of those guys to keep a clubhouse light and kind of he was our DJ on the bus, so finding those spots to Phil, just having fun and not making them the game too serious. I mean, Pete's definitely one of those guys. Bassett starting pitchers, kind of one of our jobs is be a vibe guy when you're not pitching. So I like to think that myself, uh fills that role a little bit in the clubhouse. But Narvey coming over to the Red Sox just says the catcher he's been great, very knowledgeable, knows his staff already and he's caught five or six games in a row.
Speaker 5: But he's been great.
Speaker 1: Back there, Kyle, we appreciate the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you ever need to get hot, ask ask Bassett. I'll pick the jersey. I think last time I picked the jersey, you guys went on a run. So if you need to get hot, gole just let me know, all right.
Speaker 5: I'll let you guys know.
Speaker 1: Kyle, thanks for stopping by. Great to talk to you.
Speaker 5: All right, Thanks guys, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole go.
Speaker 1: Data Dish Inside Edge, pointing out today how the Nationals are still leading baseball and slugging percentage. Aja had a four forty clip. The league average is four to one, and it's not like that ballpark is a bandbox. A lot of guys that really improved. Some have left now via trade, like a Luis Garcia junior. Can we show them? Mike Petriello tweet two. He wrote a story about how the twenty twenty six mass were trending towards being the first team in history to not give a single plate appearance to a hit or older than twenty eight. Unfortunately that was snapped by Miles Michael has been jitting, but he still said youngest group ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, the Miles Michael's He went up there to bunt, which I thought was funny because most analytic people don't believe in bunning, so he had to bunt, and they sent Miles Michael's up there because apparently none of their position players can bump, which I also find funny. But they rake, Listen, that's why the over in the Nationals game has been such a hit.
Speaker 4: They raked.
Speaker 3: They give up a lot of runs. Also, they score a lot and they give up a lot. Okay, so well, yeah, James Wood cj Abram, this team, Kevira Ruiz, we see you before he got treated. These dudes could rake and they figured something out. So good for them. I'm figuring it out. But they got to figure out how to pitch at some point, so Data Dish had to pitch.
Speaker 4: Please Nationals.
Speaker 6: The inside that Data Dish is going to tell you this is something to watch for next year. They did it. They did it this year. They had good players last year, but to make the turnaround that they've done with such young players and have the amount of success they've had on the hitting side, like who who? Like the Blue Jays last year got tons of credit for that and they made it to the World Series, Like they kind of fell off of it again. What's gonna happen next year for the Nats. I'm super intrigued.
Speaker 1: And they're not the only one. The Marlins and the Cardinals also are some of the fewest played appearances ever from twenty nine plus players ages nine or older. So seeing the youth movement. We've been talking about that for years already on this show.
Speaker 6: So you're seeing some of the older teams considerable cheaper players.
Speaker 1: And position players, I think more so than pitchers really being judged once they hit thirty. I think that's the thing, right now too,