Speaker 1: I hope you are enjoying the summer.
Speaker 2: Before the players left for the break, we had the chance to speak with a pair of veteran newcomers, Andre Cisco and Josh Reynolds during mandatory mini camp.
Speaker 1: That's coming up.
Speaker 2: We meet anybody in the world, and I think we're gonna win.
Speaker 3: Next Sunday, it's running.
Speaker 2: Can't wait.
Speaker 4: Put your seat belts on and get ready for the ride.
Speaker 2: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott's jewelry company at shine brighton doing good shop, game day ready, jewelry styles and so much more at Kendri scott dot com. Andre Cisco is celebrating a homecoming with the Jets. Born in Queens, Cisco grew up a Jets fan on Long Island and Valley Stream, and in March, he signed with the Green and White. After spending his first four NFL seasons in Jacksonville. Cisco, a rangy free safety was excellent ball skills, certainly stopped by the studio to talk about his new chapter.
Speaker 1: Andre, what's this all been?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: A Valley Stream kid playing with the Jets?
Speaker 3: Now, it's been crazy, you know, and I try to think about, you know, how many people have had this opportunity that you know, I know, and it's very short list obviously, So for me to just continue to just embrace the opportunity hopefully be an inspiration to the kids that you know, know me from the area, and it's humbling for sure.
Speaker 1: Who are your teams growing up on longy Isla.
Speaker 3: My team's growing up NFL? Yeah, yeah, I was a Jets fan. I was a Jets fan through and through a little bit of a Saints fan when they were winning, but the Jets fan as a as a local kid was a team I rooted for.
Speaker 1: What players did you gravitate towards?
Speaker 3: I always say I always start with Mark Sanchez And sometimes people laugh, you know, because it's like as a dB, like you say Mark Sanchez, But he was just the head of it. So that's what I remember the most. Then obviously Drell Reeves, I remember the old line and Nick Mangol was one of the people that I always recognized when I came to games, and so just that you know, those legends for this place is kind of what rings the bell.
Speaker 1: So remember those playoff runs and No. Nine and ten?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was sure were What was that like for you?
Speaker 2: As a fan of kid growing up in the area, the hometown team making a run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just I came home and watched NFL football every Sunday after my games, and so, you know, we get the local games, and so the Jets are going to be on, so to watch them just continue to win, and like even the regular seasons, they would have great records, so they were one of the better teams. And then watching them, you know, sometimes beat the Patriots. That was always great to see. So for us, it was just you know, embracing the you know, the hometown team.
Speaker 2: What were your expectations when free agency came around and stuff.
Speaker 3: Man, I was open to whatever guy had for me. And honestly, I had expectations that I would get an opportunity to start somewhere and just continue to grow. And so for me, I wasn't coming off with my best season, so I wanted to get somewhere start new, and the Jets came up. And once the Jets kind of came into the picture, I couldn't get it off my mind because just the idea of being back up north, which I just for me, it's just the air like I always spent my bye we coming to New York because I just love being back home and spelling the New York air, seeing New York people, and so to have the opportunity to come back full time was like, you know, it's a dream. So the minute came into the picture, it was you know, I tried to keep myself calm, let them kind of calm the waters to see what would finally happen. But once it came through, I was really really excited.
Speaker 1: Can you speak to that. What's different about the New York.
Speaker 5: Air compared to Florida.
Speaker 3: I mean, if we're talking technical, right, the humidity and things of that nature, but I mean something about just the atmosphere and also just like the architecture of the area I closely identified with, like New York suburbs and so New Jersey suburbs, whereas which you know where we're at, you know, just the neighborhood, the community, feel the people on how to interact. I love bagels, love pizza, and so I've been able to go to bagel shops on the weekends and just be normal and enjoy a good bagel. So those are the things that I value the most. What are your pizza spots Parsibanies best pizza has been my go to and then a B Bagels out and I think it's more sound Okay, yeah, yeah, they have a great big nugga cheese.
Speaker 2: When it became realistic that hey, this might be happening, what were your friends and family telling you at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I made sure I told the right people as it was still kind of becoming a thing, because you know, it was a lot of excitement, So definitely told my close friends and my close family and we all started you know, fantasizing how, you know, what could happen if if that that you know falls through, And so when it did, you know, everyone was just super excited. And I think now that that's kind of calmed down, has become a reality, I've been able to, you know, learn more about myself and how to you know, navigate being back home and having you know, the opportunity to kind of be who who you were when you grew up right like some of the old habits and things of that nature just continue to work through. That has been one of my biggest focuses but also been a sign of maturity for me to come back home be able to kind of grow out of old habits in that way. So for me, it's been a lot to learn in a short amount of time, what the.
Speaker 2: Situation like, what's the environment like when you walk into a building that the head coach he played cornerback at a very high level.
Speaker 1: He was a three time pro bowler. And Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 2: You got Steve Wilkes who's got head coaching experience but has led some very elite defenses, easier defensive coordinator. You got Chris Harris there, one of the position position coaches.
Speaker 1: And dre Bli as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, like you said, a list of guys that you know, holding are holding me accountable each and every day, and I feel like I owe them my best on each and every day because they give me the opportunity to continue to grow here and be a part of the you know what we're trying to get done. So you know, I look at them each and every day for whether it's just insight, just corrections, and really just growing that relationship. You know, you hope that these relationships last longer than just a few years that you spend together, and so I appreciate that we'll all be able to, you know, continue to ride this thing out and when you win, you know, you remember the guys that you did it around. So you know, as we continue to grow, I'm just soaking it all in, said Wilkes. Has been a great leader, setting a tone for us each and every day as well, and so I'm just yeah, like I said, soaking it in.
Speaker 2: How do you go about being central command back there? Because one thing Ag said early on is that he likes your leadership ability.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean for me, it's just being myself and so I've always been vocal on the field. I think certain things of Second Nation for me, other things I'm continue to grow in as a leader, and so I'm trying to embrace both sides, you know, things I'm uncomfortable with and the things I'm comfortable with. And then central command on the field is just me doing my job, you know, as long as I've been the right position and making the right making the right calls and also working with my counterpart, you know, with with Tony Adams and Isaiah Oliver, so far as I continue to work with them, just continue to understand our chemistry and what goes on saying what doesn't. And we've been getting a lot better.
Speaker 1: What's it been like working with ta and Isaiah.
Speaker 5: It's been great.
Speaker 3: We're really close around the building, which is what I love about both of them is that, you know, we able to not just be on the field and communicate, but we go into the meat rooms together, work out together, stretch together, eat together, all the things from the morning until we leave here. So things like that, when you notice that within the building, you can't just skip over it. Because I've been around teams with really close groups and that's always been a great part of our success.
Speaker 2: How about the young buck Malchai Moore coming in or from Alabama?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love his game, bro. You know, I always heard about him, you know, just college football, Alabama dB all you hear about guys like that. So being able to work with him has been awesome. And I've been able to even learn from him because he has so many great you know, spent a lot of time at a high level in college, so he knows a lot of the game plays it very naturally, has a great pace, and so he's been picking up on things really fast. And you always see guys like that come from those programs usually do pick some certain stuff up fast. Compared to myself, I feel like it takes me. It took me a little bit longer, and so I think he'll have a great career.
Speaker 2: But what do you specifically like about the physical skill set?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's uh, he can run really well. He can cover.
Speaker 3: He can also play safety, so he can cover in the slob also play safety. You could just tell that he's very confident and you know his ability to move footwork wise, and so that puts you in a position where you could make a lot of plays in different positions. So I think his versatilities was gonna give him opportunity play earlier.
Speaker 2: What's he like in the meeting room because he was looked upon as a leader on that Alabama defense. Now you walk into a room much like you did a few years back from Syracuse, and the installations are coming at you and you're sitting alongside guys like Andre Cisco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so install wise, he's been doing great, just picking up on the defenses. He'll ask questions sparingly, just making sure like is this what I think it is? And so you when you have that mindset, you know he's thinking football the right way and then he has no issues asking vets questions which you'd like to see as well, although sometimes you know, it could be competition within the room in a healthy way. Just being able to lean on the vets. We've been able to help him and string him along. So yeah, he's definitely leader in his own right, just in terms of carrying himself the right way, and he can continue to be prepared on the field.
Speaker 1: What stood out to you about number one?
Speaker 3: So's he's a I think the what I've learned the most, he's a he's a character.
Speaker 5: He's a funny dude.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He brings a lot of energy to the meeting room to practice, and so it's been fun to play alongside him so far and just continue to see, you know, how I can continue to help him and him help me and just grow that chemistry.
Speaker 2: How unique is he in terms of how big he is, but also you can be physical off the line. He's comfortable playing man, he's comfortable playing zone, and he's so rangy.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I think that that was what initially surprised me, is how twitchy and and quick he was for his size and just being able to get in and out of breaks. Sometimes a guy like that, because you're longer, it takes a little bit more time. To sink your hips and things of that nature. But for him, it's it's more receiver as kind of the way he moves and so that's why you know, that's a well covering those guys. So yeah, it's it's been it's been cool to watch.
Speaker 2: Have you and envisioned what it's going to be like on game day playing with a guy like Sauce because you cover a lot of field yourself. Anybody who's watched your game and you been knowing to take the ball away?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think just early on we've had some some opportunities and practice continue to take the ball away, and you know, when we work together, that's kind of what's going to be able to happen. We're gonna be able to at least, you know, close windows fast and continue to get our hands on ball. So like when we're on the same side of the field, we're able to communicate whether it's him sinking in the cover two or or sinking in the cover four, things of that nature that we're able to continue to work on. You know, that's how you close the windows and you know, invite the quarterback to throw it. But we're both able to close fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about some of those other guys playing in the cornerback position, maybe like a Michael Carter is one of the better nickels right in the NFL. You got Brand and Stevens who comes over from Baltimore of course, and then you got an interesting young big corner and Az Thomas as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, great group, great group, Michael, Michael Carter.
Speaker 3: I've been able to learn I've heard about learn more about that since I got here, and very high level nickel back. Like you said, I was just able to do it all when it comes to fitting a run and and cover guys. So just being able to play off of him even you know, as we continue to grow communicate with him has been great. Just that's cohesiveness for the back end. Asy, I love Brand teams. I also love always been a fan of B Steve. We came in together, me and Michael Carter and B Steve came in the same year, So you usually know the guys that you come in with. And then Aasy, I'm just excited. I'm really excited about his future, just mindset wise and how he approaches the game and when you come in, you know, with a lot of humility, although you're extremely talented, it usually works well.
Speaker 2: Can you speak to the emphasis and take ways that you're hearing from the coaching staff and how that's going to be right up your alley.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's you. We got to live and die by them.
Speaker 3: And that's what in the past has been able to separate the defenses I've been on is just guys, you know, being those type of guys that just at least tip the ball in the air for somebody else, you know. And so we've been able to as we continue to learn the defense, understand when you're gonna have the opportunity to get your eyes on the quarterback and roam and be free, and then other other times when just just knowing when it's your time to make your play, that's the biggest thing. And so, like you said, coach has been emphasizing that will.
Speaker 2: How much do you enjoy that aspect of at the cat and mouse game playing the safety position and how you have to work against the cornerback and know when to take your chances.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's been the biggest thing I honestly want to take my next step on in my game. Just understanding how much you know the offense is dictating what they want to do off of my positioning. So as I continue to learn that, I'll be able to, you know, continue to, like you said, kind of play that cat and mouse game and invite quarterbacks to make bad decisions.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get you out of here with this one. Plans for the summer and how excited are you for training camp?
Speaker 3: Yeah, plans for the summer. Once we finish up here, I'll be heading on a mission trip with my church and so we'll be going to South Africa and Zimbabwe and visiting the churches that we have there already plans it. So this will be my second year in a row going, So I'm excited. And so I just get to see a different side of life. Obviously, we get a chance to pray for people, provide some food for people that are less fortunate, and just do some things that you know, you don't get the opportunity to do while being in New Jersey in America. And so it'll be super cool experience there for about ten to eleven days and against some working and then I'll come back and I'll be in New Jersey. And I'm just really excited for training camp because we've We've had an opportunity to get really better, a lot better this offseason, and so I no whe's training camp comes around, we're all gonna be super hungry and fired up.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you, Tom, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Get ready for all the action and energy of Jets game day this season with twenty twenty five season tickets. Lock in your seats to be there for every snap of exciting matchups at MetLife Stadium at Nyjets dot com slash season tickets. Josh Reynolds is one of a handful of Jets who celebrated a thirtieth birthday. We'll find himself in a mix competing for time opposite star Garrett Wilson at training camp. After surviving his shooting that took place in Denver last October, Reynalds said he's moved past it and is ready to get going in Jersey. We caught up with Josh during mandatory camp. What's the transition been like so far?
Speaker 6: That's been as miss mooved?
Speaker 4: You know, plays are you know a lot a lot similar to to Detroit, So you know, it's more just kind of getting my my memory back back going with them, But uh, I mean other than that, man the guys are great out here, the coaches are great.
Speaker 6: You know, it's it's been a smooth transition.
Speaker 1: How did it all come together? You landing here with the Jets?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I you know, I wasn't even sure about him, and then in my agent's kind of like, you know, well i've seen a you know, a g get get get signed. I was like, oh, that's a good pickup for him. And my agent comes and you know, it was like, you know, hey, you know, just they're interested.
Speaker 6: I was like, hear him out, you know, and so, you know, just just.
Speaker 4: Loved with with what they were, like the culture that they were gonna bring. You know, I knew the culture they were gonna bring here was gonna be awesome. You know, it's gonna be great for the for the guys here, and I just I just wanted to be a part of it. So, you know, ag got me on board.
Speaker 2: And what was your relationship like with Aaron in Detroit? Obviously he's on the other side of su coordinated.
Speaker 4: You know, it's good as good as any offensive defense, soo good, you know, good get used to but nah, I mean our ties kind of go a little longer with with a and m ties and stuff. So I mean just I mean since I got there, he just he was just one of those guys that you can go to and and he's gonna he's gonna tell you real stuff, you know, whether it be football or just be real life.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 4: You know, it's always just kind of been that, you know, that that mentor kind of uh, kind of leadership from him. You know, no matter what what side of the ball, he's on you, whether you're on offense or defense. And so, you know, I think that's gonna be real good for this team.
Speaker 2: He talked today about the emphasis of discipline, details and competes and that this group is starting to take steps in that direction.
Speaker 1: Are you seeing that?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, a lot faster than I kind of expected, you know, and uh, you know, for for a younger team, I mean it's it's you know, you can't ask for anything more, you know, because like you want to you want to hit, you want to hit, you want to hit the ground running, you know, when that when that time comes, and so it ain't gotta be perfect now, but it's got to be the preparations leading to that perfection, you know.
Speaker 6: And that's and that's a lot of.
Speaker 4: What he's what he's talking about as far as the details, the you know, jumping just everything, and so I mean, it's it's it's been awesome to see, man, these guys have grown a lot since uh, since first day of O t as.
Speaker 2: Why were you guys able to flip it in Detroit?
Speaker 1: He spoke about culture before and what ag is trying to instill here.
Speaker 4: I think it is culture, culture and guys buying into the culture, because you can have a culture but nobody buying in, you know. And I think the biggest part is just having the guys buy in. And then at that point the culture is ingrain and so now you got the guys that are implementing the culture instead of the cultures implement it. And once that, once that happens, it's a dangerous team.
Speaker 2: What can you tell us about Tanner because he was your PA game coordinator there with the Lions and now he's the first time offensive coordinator in the National Football League.
Speaker 6: Ten has always been been smart, man. You know.
Speaker 4: Well, shoot, when I got to Detroit, he was he was, you know, a tight ends coach, you know, and so he just he quickly rolls up the ranks and so, I mean, and you can tell, you know, you sit down with them, you talk football with him, you just you know he's got it, you know, and uh, I'm excited to kind of see what what he dies up this season and uh, you know what kind of creative stuff he can he can throw out there.
Speaker 1: You're still a very young man by just appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, you don't get a lot of that one.
Speaker 7: But but you're thirty years old, So is it is it weird? Can you talk about, Hey, I'm one of the older guys on this roster. There are many guys in this roster with the three.
Speaker 6: After it's definitely a new you know, definitely new for me.
Speaker 4: You know, I was out, I mean I was a little bit older and uh in Denver as well, but there were still some you know, some your seven year eight guys that were kind of complimenting me and stuff.
Speaker 6: But you know, just kind of being you know, having that three you know, going.
Speaker 4: In the year nine, it's you know, it's it's I mean, it's it's it's blessing for sure, you know, but it definitely humbles you when when you're getting around here and all these guys are like, you know, two thousand and two, really two thousand and fours, like I'm getting a little.
Speaker 1: Old, Yeah, but you don't feel that way. So Sean Jefferson, what's he like in that room? And how much is he leaning on you?
Speaker 2: Because there's a lot of familiarity there when you're talking about Tanner and Aaron oh.
Speaker 6: Man, that's Jays. He he's a character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a great dude. He's gonna bring that energy every day. You know, he's gonna he's gonna he's gonna expect the best from you every day. And and just having somebody who has done it, you know, for a long time, has played as well as coached. I mean it's you know, it don't get any better.
Speaker 6: You know, he o G.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, he's o G.
Speaker 6: So, but yeah, he leans a.
Speaker 4: Lot on me on just being able to kind of you know, as far as details techniques and stuff like, you know, because i mean, once those installs go, we get going. So a lot of the stuff gets you know, a lot of stuff gets missed, and so it you know, from the build to kind of just lean on me about you know, how did y'all kind of run this? You know, and you know, it helps a lot, and so you know, I'm just I'm here to help however I can.
Speaker 2: Can you speak to the mantra in the room about, Hey, if you don't block, you're not getting the rock?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, that's football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's football. That got that got lost in the way a little bit. You know a lot of these, a lot of these younger guys kind of you know, used to not having a block, but still gonna get get get the ball, you know, and so uh, you know, it's it's a.
Speaker 6: Little rude awakening. Not in the NFL, man, because you gotta block.
Speaker 4: You know, there's three you know, three things you got to do in NFL that that it's not gonna change. It's going you gotta run, you gotta block, and you gotta tackle, you know. And so not anywhere does it say catching, but you know, you know your receiver you got to catch, but you got to block.
Speaker 1: How much do you love the physicality aspect of the game.
Speaker 6: I love it. You know. I should have been a safety. Really, I played a little safety when I was in high school. But uh, but no, I mean I love the contact. You know, that's football to me.
Speaker 4: You know, I just love putting my hands on somebody. So if I can do that, you know, especially if I'm not getting getting the ball, I'm gonna I'm gonna make myself felt in this game somehow.
Speaker 2: So you take equal pride in the run game when the guys are hitting the edge and they're coming behind you.
Speaker 6: For sure, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Karl Wilson, he's enter in year four. Obviously he's accomplished a lot already in the National Football League. What have you thought of him so far? Just practice seeing alongside him.
Speaker 4: He's a gamer, he makes plays, man, you know, he's he's still he's still picking up the offense. You know, they got him, They got him all over the place. So you know, I'm sure his brain's a little scrambled, but he's he's been picking up nicely, you know. And uh, you know, the more he can do that, the more he's gonna he's you know, they're gonna be able to put him in positions too to get a lot more balls, you know, a lot more catches, and you know, ultimately that's what you want to do.
Speaker 6: You want to get the ball. What do you like?
Speaker 1: What do you like about his physical skill set?
Speaker 4: He's got great hands, great natural hands and you know, his his routes are excellent. You know, the sticks he can he can do, I mean it. You know, it gets me a little jealous with the needs sometimes, but now he does his thing, man, and uh, you know, I'm I'm excited to see you see you know how he develops this year.
Speaker 2: So not too long ago, like we were talking about you were coming out of Texas saying that Aaron Smith coming out of Georgia right now, what's key for him early on because he hasn't even taken his first training camp, right.
Speaker 6: I think it's taking care of that body.
Speaker 4: You know, if if you're not you're not available. You know, it's tough to be out there to make your mark, you know. And so uh, I think the biggest thing is just more of taking care of your body, because I mean everything else is gonna flow. He's got the he's got all the physical attributes. He's he's fast, he's got good hands. Uh, he can run routes, and so.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know.
Speaker 4: It's more of that that body taking care of because it gets you know, the season gets long, you know, like was it an extra like you know, five six weeks from when they they be done, right, you know, and so you know that rookie wall, that rookie wall is real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can be eye opening for gods, right, yeah, yeah, And so yeah, what changes once you do put the pads on? Because we're here final week of OTAs and Aaron likes where you guys are sunding to.
Speaker 1: But for you guys on the outside, what's gonna change?
Speaker 4: Oh, I think just the blocking aspect of it now, you know. Yeah, it'll get a little more physical as far as you know, releases and all that, but that doesn't really too much change. And so it's it's more of now like now you can get your head in there on the on the run blocks and stuff, and so.
Speaker 6: I think that'd be the biggest change.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to ask you about your quarterback too, justin fields and you can talk about ty Rod too, because yeah, there's another event much like yourself, got a tremendous experience, and justin about his skill set. Was it like playing with the guy who is, Hey, he's got a big arm. It's explosive, he can get it anywhere on the field. But at the same time, there can be a second play because he can extend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you what for for the most part. It's pretty new for me in my career, you know, in the in the NFL, and so it's you know, it's a little adjustment period. You know, I come out the break and I see him taking off that whole dang you let me turn around and block, you know.
Speaker 6: So No, it's he's uh, he's he's real smart.
Speaker 4: You know, he's real smart. He's been picking up this, uh, this playbook like that, you know. And I mean the more he just gets comfortable with it, comfortable, uh calling the plays and and just knowing where everybody's at, you know, I think he's gonna have a big year.
Speaker 2: How much fun are you having? Let's get out with this one. How much fun are you.
Speaker 6: Having right now? I'm having a great time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, great time as long as I can be out here playing the game.
Speaker 6: I love running around with all these guys. Man. I'm ecstatic, you.
Speaker 1: Know, new home, New York home.
Speaker 4: You know, I haven't been out to the East coast yet, and so you know, I'm excited.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your time, sir, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Game day and every day score a jewelry touchdown with Kendra Scott, Shot fashion and find Jewelry Fit for another winning season at your local store.
Speaker 1: Or Kendra Scott dot com.
Speaker 2: Shine Bright do good with Kendra Scott, Time for my extra point. From the start of this new regime under GM Darren Mougy and head coach Aaron Glenn, the Jets said they were on the hunt for smart, tough, aggressive and resilient players. And Andre Cisco the Jets are getting a big man with really good ball skills who.
Speaker 1: Is going to be one of the leaders of the secondary.
Speaker 2: And Josh Reynolds the Jets are getting an outstanding blocker who can help in the run game and he can win against man coverage that he figures to see a lot with Garrett Wilson commanding attention on a young team. Cisco and Reynolds also figure to play critical roles.
Speaker 1: In the locker room.
Speaker 2: As Glenn says, culture is about having the right people.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you all next week.